Speaker 1: After the hooter from super League three sixty York thirty eight to lose fourteen in round is it round nine of super League.
Speaker 2: My name is Lee Addison, My name is John Davidson.
Speaker 1: Tries for York from Vaughan who scored two, Galiano scored a hat trick and Buckingham scored goals were six by Cody Hunter to lose Lacan Okaine and ma and Rouge kicked a goal. York started a hell of a lot better, John, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean I think you're pretty much dominated this game for the majority. I thought they there forwards, ran ran hard and really dominated the middle to loose, didn't offer a lot in attack. And while they were, you know, to loose were the effort was there, they just didn't really have much to trouble York.
Speaker 1: I thought the standard of the game was pretty average. To be honest, I thought they both looked and this is going to sound really disrespectful, but we know why, and you've been saying this Adnas him. It looked like a high level championship game. Quite frankly, Paul Vaughan scored two tries and apparently it's his birthday because the commentator didn't stop mentioning it. But he was beaten by Galliano, who scored three. I think that's a sign John that the York played quite a lot of football today because Galliano got over the line three times.
Speaker 3: I think I think you probably harsh but fair in the sense that there was quite a few errors. It wasn't a really quite quality game. I think there was some nice bits at times. That played from Jesse d in the second half reminded me of you know, the back back thea reminded me of g I and Gazsnir and that Kangaroo's game.
Speaker 1: I think I think I was. I was at that game six. It was the ninth of May two thousand an eight.
Speaker 3: Mate. Yeah, but yeah, look, yeah, there was a lot of errors. There was quite a few knock ons. As I said, I thought to loose a bit of alarm bells there. They didn't really fire many shots. They did score a couple of consolation tries, but there's six tackle options. They're just they're not really getting much out of their out of their spine. And I thought York's forwards we were pretty dominant. New York's still missing, you know, their fallback is really influential there's seven and picked up a few more injuries so with Josh Griffin and Benison. But New York just, you know, we're really up for it, and you know, are really important two points for them, because I think it's them and to lose. Are on the bottom now, and obviously they'll they'll push up New York with that win.
Speaker 1: Two wins Olympiaker as I christened them when they won their first two games early. They're probably the epitome of what we've spoken about on the Super Leagues podcast an awful lot, which is the promoted teams have to start well because since then they've literally dropped right off. I felt like in attack they were too lateral. I thought they lacked punch. I thought that, you know, there wasn't enough in terms of coming back in on the angle or testing the line. The horse weren't testing the line enough. I noticed they've changed their defensive system a little bit too, to become more compressed, and that says a couple of things to me. That suggests that they're obviously scratching around looking for some answers, trying to change something strategically. But the reality is it doesn't matter if your players don't aim up defensively. You can have the greatest defensive system in the world, and if your players don't aim up. One fella worked awfully hard. That was hands the hooker, right. He did sixty two tackles according to the commentators after seventy eight minutes, and then I saw him in a couple more. And again that looking at your that suggests to me how much they dominated the middle, because the man in the middle for to lose is the one doing all those tackles, and York dominated the field position a lot too. I just just felt to lose just weren't in the races for the whole game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was a bad sign with the with the opening try, it was really soft for Paul Vaughn. Was just like they didn't they didn't come off the line the medium and you know, for a player of Paul Vaughn's size and experience, that was just mate potatoes. He just you know, soft try to start, which was a concern. And then they got that second try.
Speaker 2: Off a kick.
Speaker 3: And I think to Luis, we're lucky to because the astual bot incident. I think he had a he deserved the yellow card for that. You know that was you know, a shot to the to the head and there was you know, I think there was a bit of there's a bit of venue in that. I know, the the your player was it was falling but he didn't miss him. Uh so they got out of jail a little bit there. But yeah, I think I think York were pretty dominant. It was it was a fairly one sided game.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I think I think to lose, you can see the efforts there. They're not there's no lack of effort. They're not trying. No, I think they're just they're just locked. They just sorry. They just lack a little bit of quality. And I think basically, yeah, I don't think there's the players out there, but but there's also the money for for that club to go out and sign them. So you know, when you look at the market and all these clubs are having massive injury issues, so they're all swimming in the same pool for players.
Speaker 2: But also to lose, don't.
Speaker 3: Have the you know, the catch considered, Yeah, the financial backing to go out and you know, pull in a big name something. So yeah, it's I think that is a it is a worrying sign for them. So what's that seven losses in a rono?
Speaker 1: No, it is, oh maybe if you include they didn't play coup did they? So it's not seven losses a role because because there's all with nine rounds. But they they were.
Speaker 2: And then they've lost the next seven.
Speaker 1: Did they win the first two?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well yeah, yeah seven a roll then yeah, yeah, you are right. It was good for you there, it's it's it's scary actually, and it's the fear that we all that we all had on this podcast. Best players on the Field for you, John Paul McShane got the official man of the match. I think, yeah, I think I think he was his four hundredth game. I mean, he's had a fantastic career. He's still just got those little bits of class, you know, the kick from half, the little grub are just a really really smart player.
Speaker 2: I thought he was. He was a standout.
Speaker 3: I really liked the the I'm not exactly sure how old he is, but the half back Cody Hunter is another reserve grade obviously in New York team, but I think he's only played a couple of games in Super League. But he you know, lovely cut out pass in that first half and you know, just he looks like he's he's got a bit an ouse and again Jesse d really strong boar runner, Paul Vaughan again leading from the front, and you know, I thought Galiano, you know, he obviously picked up what three tries, but I think he's been good for most of York's games this season.
Speaker 2: He's been one of the standouts.
Speaker 1: Where's he from, Paul Gulliano, Scott Galliano?
Speaker 3: He is from the Sunshine Coast Falcons. I believe another was he Q Kupper. I had a look and this is not a criticism of York because I think it's more of a reflection of the talent pool in England. But nine of their seventeen were well eight of the seventeen were restrains and one was a key we So you know, that's more than more than half. And I think across the competition, with the increase in the business spots, you know we're seeing a lot lot more of that and that yeah, because there is you know, there's there's murmurs about fifteen teams next year and I don't really know how London would recruit a squad because there are only allowed ten foreign players. So if you you know if you need a squad of say thirty, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: There's something to consider. Anyway, Look, lipstick on a pig.
Speaker 1: I keep using that phrase, and somebody pulled me up and said, you look, that's your phrase. At the moment, it was my dad. Actually, boy, it's so true. It's it's just window dressing. I want to go into go into a bit more detail about this, right so people people will sit listening to this and think, oh, it's a negative. No, we're telling that. We're telling what what? What are facts in terms of reserve grade players coming into the Super League? And and I think one of the things that that is bearing out now is the results is getting a lot harder for these promoted teams. They're the ones who are going to be on the sharpest end of this recruitment problem. Secondly, that your crowd tonight was nothing compared to around one. Now, I know that's a very simple comparison, but I didn't even know what color the seats were in that stadium until tonight. So obviously the fans are starting to pick up on the fact that that it's getting tough for their team as well. Now I know, to lose wouldn't have brought any fans, many fans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's probably a more reflection of the crowds they get from the other local teams. Like I think obviously OK are first kind of season they would have taken a lot of fans, you know, I think probably three thousand or something. I think your season average last year was around the two and a half three thousand. Don't have a big fan base, but yeah, hopefully.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think I've said this before, like York is like the same as to loosen even for Bradford. Some ways they are a long term particularly those other two clubs and not Bradford.
Speaker 2: They are more of a long term build, you.
Speaker 1: Know, and they should have been given the time to build long term.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean that's yeah, we don't.
Speaker 3: I don't want to repeat the thing that The thing about the negativity and someone jokingly said that to me today when I sent them my North Wales story, the updated one that's in the ipaper it's online today, is you're always say negative. It's like, yeah, I mean, I'm just reporting the massive kind of fraud that's going on. You know, we can look the other way, but all these things, all these things lea connected you know, the the drop in male participation feeds into the development structures or the lack of development structures and the cut of development officers. And then you know in the neglect of the championship re le one and the fact that there's now reserve team football then feeds into the top league and the fact that there isn't enough players ready for Super League means they've got to increase the visa, the quator amount and then they go and get more players, but they can't afford the best players from Australia or better players from australiagy zone, so they get the reserve grade players, which then impacts the product.
Speaker 2: It is all, as you know, all into linked.
Speaker 1: And in terms of negativity, John, when you and I get feedback, it's about us saying the things that nobody else says because we're not cheerleaders. Again, I want to quantify what I mean about about standards. So I thought standard wise, the game was slow, as in the players tend to lack pace and lack punch, and there's not an awful lot of X factor on the field. And I think one of the one of the best things I can I can forward to some of that up right near the end there that to lose wing number two sorry his name escapes me. Got the ball in broken play and normally a wing or certainly in the NR well anyway, you're hard pressed to catch them. I think the wing had about five players around him in no time, even though he'd broken through half the field. So you know, this is just this is just the reality of it, and we're trying to we're trying to paint that picture. The other one is the injuries. And I saw footage of Josh Griffin on the sideline injured. I mean soon we're going to get a call up John.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It is every game now you seem to see at least two or three injuries, and I think Griffin's was a bicep or looks to be a boseet, which is obviously going to be a while. I think Bennison might have been an hio. But yeah, you're just getting you know, squads are absolutely got, and I think was at Bradford saying this week that I only had fifteen players to try and then drafted in Greg Aden from the Northwest Crusaders.
Speaker 2: But you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So you've got Super League clubs dipping in the levels below. Yeah, we're getting down to bare bones. And we can debate whether that's because of the speeding up of the rules or shorter preseasons.
Speaker 2: There's probably a lot.
Speaker 3: Of factors for that, but the reality is it's not great. It's really bad film the players, but it's also going to affect the product on the field without doubt.
Speaker 1: I've been looking online for the opposite of unleashed, and words such as restrained, confined, bound, or leashed are the options. And that's of course referring to the Huddersfield giants who apparently were unleashed according to the director of Change. And that's just an in joke between me and John and everybody who listens to our stuff regularly or know what we're talking about. Lee Leopard's thirty Huddersfield sixteen in the other game tonight, And I've got to say, first of all, what people need to understand, sorry, they don't need to understand, they like them to understand, is that it was when there's two games on at tenny one time, it's actually a lottery as to which one I get to watch because they only show one on Fox. So luckily we're on the same game tonight, so neither of us have seen the Lee and Huddersfield game. The tries for Lee were two from Towels. Senior scored one, Lamb scored one and Charlie scored two. Cook kick Cook kicked three goals for them. For the Giant Swift Milne and Gag Guy with a try scorer as Zeno and kicked two goals. So good resultfull ye that positive win, big win. Halftime, it was twenty ten. Let's talk about Huddersfield. First, they're now leashed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, Huddersfield a very poor last against Leeds. I think they've kind of reverted back to top because they've gone most of their I mean, I know they've got there have got some injuries, but they've got at least their key players back or most of them. But yeah, I mean I think I think this it's just reverting back to what we expect from Harnersfield from the least side. They they've gotten their players back and trying their players back the last few weeks and it's made a big difference. And you know they were much improved against Warrington a couple of weeks back and last weekend as well, so you can see them, if not going on a run, but definitely being a lot more competitive week to week because they do have they do have a favorite quality in that team.
Speaker 2: Lee.
Speaker 3: I think the difference last week I from correct was the first came back for a Pappy. He's massive for them, him and Lock and Lamb. So you know with those two in the team, they'll give most teams a good shake.
Speaker 1: What does it mean? What do these results tonight mean for all four teams? John Well?
Speaker 3: I think, as I said, for Lee, it's yeah, it's they've they've been building quietly the last couple of weeks in terms of performances, and I think that one will give them a fair bit of confidence. For Huddersfield, yeah, again, they're kind of in this limbo period because they're looking for a head coach. There's not been a lot of chat about who that could be. I know, well they didn't they didn't deny the John cart right now, but I think that's you know, I think he's effectively on guarding leave anyway, and I don't think that's that's going to happen. But yeah, you would think they need to pull their finger out and do something on the coach in front. Obviously they did have those two wins, but they've had two wins and now two losses under lem Finn and I think the other issue of Ardisfield is they really need to, you know, look at what they're doing.
Speaker 2: For next year, so they need to get their recruitment in order for to lose.
Speaker 3: I think, as we said, yeah, I really struggle to see. I don't really know what options they have in terms of mixing up the team of the squad. But for York, as I said that, they've still got a couple of key players yet, but that'll be a huge I think it was a really important win. I know Sky tried to build as a mass win. I don't think it was a mass win for them, but I think it was a real good chance to get two points against another team that's struggling and move up the table.
Speaker 2: And you know, every.
Speaker 3: Result when you've been promoted is precious and they got it tonight.
Speaker 1: Now, one thing I want to say to all fans of teams, so you know, for example, Lee seem to have I've had a little bit of resurgence. We're going to go in on a bit of a crash course in how to lose a game at the moment, so on so forth. I think because of all the things we've spoken about teams, there's going to be three or four seasons within the same season in both competitions in the NRL and in the Super League. So for example, Penrith came out of the blocks really fast. If you look at their two last two results, they've come back to the pack a little bit, beaten by the Bulldogs and only just scraped home by against the Dolphins. Now, yes they won, but in comparison to all of the other wins they had this year, it was a one point field goal that separated them, whereas the other wins were twenty or thirty points. Also, the roosters are are often aside that don't look the best when they start the season. I think more and more teams in the NRL are starting to pace their year out in terms of they don't want to peak too early at the start of the year. In the Super League, I think a lot of this was thrown upon them, including subtle rule changes in and around the ruck.
Speaker 2: And I think.
Speaker 1: The other factor that we've got to throw in is athletic preparation and injuries. So right, now in the NRL of just one quick count on the NROL website, and people do dispute this, particularly the NROL physio on X. But the seventy six players out of the National Rugby League right now and I've counted for that, are suspended. So that's seventy two players. That's an awful lot of players, right and look at Origin already. Origin is starting to get decimated in terms of stars in Super League. At one point the injury count was over one hundred and York have certainly added one to their list tonight. Your team, if you are listening now, just need to get somebody's back and their whole season could change and you could be playing teams who are losing their bodies at that time. So I think either by I wouldn't say by design, but by accident, you are actually creating is a competition that, yes, when when a higher place team, player newly promoted team, or a lowly Super League side, they're probably going to win quite heavily. But anybody who's in the same level of the game, i e. For example, Lee and Huddersfield tonight, you were looking at that wondering who was going to win and because Lee have not been themselves, but they've got a few bodies back all of a sudden, They've got a very much morale boosting win. And confidence is a massive thing. Confidence is a massive thing and I see that all levels of the game. So to that end, John with nine were nine rounds in Leeds Rhinos are top, but hardly the most convincing leaders of Super League that we've ever known.
Speaker 2: Too. Yeah, No, I mean they've had they've had some blips.
Speaker 3: No, they had a you could say they you know, they lost round one now that massive win in Vegas, had an upset lost in the Cup at Wakefield, and then another big upset loss to LEFC. Yeah, there've been anything but consistent. And then obviously Okay started the season poorly, had that great winning the World Cup Challenge, but then got absolutely blasted in Vegas. But then they've hit a bit of a run, Wigan started well and pigs and troughs and whatever, and particularly in Super legg I think when you include the Challenge Cup and the fact that the season is a lot longer, there's always you know, ups and downs.
Speaker 2: And I think it will be unpredictable.
Speaker 3: Although in saying all of that, looking at what was the top six today and I can't remember off the top of my head, or maybe hok I was just out, but I don't see. Yeah, yeah, I mean I think will definitely finish in the sixth, but I don't see apart from that they're being that much change obviously in terms of play things. But I think the other six teams in there are what Leeds, Warrington, Wiggins, Saint Helen's, Wakefield.
Speaker 1: I'll go through the table now because don't forget as well, Warrington and k Are have played one less game. Yes, yeah, I pose too. Leeds are top, Wakefield, second, St Helen's third, Warrington fourth. Warrington are the first team on ten points. Everybody above them is on twelve. Wigan and Catalans are the other two teams on ten points.
Speaker 2: Bloody hell.
Speaker 1: Catalan's going all right in that context on eight points, seventh and eighth whole k Are and Lee. But like I said, ok, I have played one less game. Bradford Bulls are in ninth on sixth, all Left Ce are in tenth on and York Nights are now in eleventh on sixth. But there are teams around them that need to play this weekend Castleford twelfth on six, Huddersfield Giants have dropped to thirteenth on four and two wins. Olympeak are still on four at the bottom. So the table's been updated and that's where we're at. So I agree with you, John, the top six is and sorry, Hooky, I will get in there and then it's just a case of jockeying for position. But honestly, I must say to all fans of all teams, keep the face because again this is maybe to balance out the negativity. Okay, that a symptom of all this that's happening is some of your teams will get better one week because some players are there, and then other weeks they won't. And one thing about York tonight, they always aim up and that's a credit to their coach. Big fixture this weekend Wigan and Warrington, and then we're going to record Sunday because there's no rugby league on Sunday. And there's quite a few topics to talk about, John, including a new England coach that I think you and I championed or I did, anyway.
Speaker 2: He did definitely.
Speaker 3: Look, I think I think Brian mcdermot's got a great record particularly at Leeds. I think he is a good coach. I think it's probably interesting where his career has gone more recently after what happened at Toronto and then he went at Featherston and then he kind of fell off the map a bit and he's been down in the NFL as an assistant coach at Newcastle and then Gold Coast. But yeah, he was obviously officially unveiled today on Saint George's Day with some video of him look like on the beach at surface or one of.
Speaker 2: The Blackpool wasn't Blackpool, It wasn't Blackpool.
Speaker 3: No, So yeah, you know, I think I think his quotes were there was a bit of a there was a bit of a point to dig at patriotism for optics sake, which I which I found quite funny. And there was obviously we can win it, which you could say was funny or you could say he's you know.
Speaker 1: He's that's his job. I think, yeah, exactly, he had a he had a veiled dig at Sean Wayne too in terms of Jake.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean he's got he's got to install a bit of confidence and a bit of positivity, hasn't he. So yeah, It's going to be an interesting right. He probably won't have any training sessions I imagined till a week or two before the World Cup, lots of Zoom meetings and online things, and you know, he said he's open to heritage players, so maybe we'll see Ben ben Tolti in the England team.
Speaker 1: They made a good point, even if he was even if he even if he was in England did have to do a lot of Zoom meetings for one reason or another, so he made him made a really good point about that. Look, whoever got the job is on something of a hiding to nothing, and therefore all we can all we can do as a nation, as a rugby league nation is is what you can do. And they didn't do what they could do, which was a point in a coach early. But now we are where we are and I think they've got the best person for the job. The only the only change I would have made is that I've probably gone Wayne Bennett for this tournament with Brian Macus's assystem, but maybe Wayne Bennett didn't want it. So look, I'm happy with a choice, and hopefully he's he does okay in the World Cup and he's given chance to rebuild what has been a really demoralizing England performance in the last Ashes series. But we're going into territory, are John, where we're doing a Someday's episode already, so we should probably.
Speaker 2: Leave it for that. We should.
Speaker 3: But if you've got any questions or topics for Sunday's recording, what are we were on Thursday night? So yes, send us in on Facebook chorus or I.
Speaker 1: Like this idea of recording on Sundays, John, because I don't have to get up early, so don't start organizing all these things with your kids on a Sunday morning.
Speaker 2: Now, Well, I.
Speaker 3: Will actually be in in Paris next Sunday, so we won't be recording the following after. Oh are you back Monday though? I am back Monday to a public holiday. Yes, so I will be back yeah on Monday.
Speaker 2: Lovely?
Speaker 1: All right, we'll worry about that next week.
Speaker 2: Take care,