Speaker 1: Talking about WRESTLINGIA seven with mister Mooney. How are you doing today?
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't wait to talk about all those superstars and stripes today. There's all about patriotism back then and causing a lot of trouble and kissing a lot of people off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not something the w w F loves to do that and you know e as well.
Speaker 3: But I love the theme of this. Honestly.
Speaker 1: Some wrestlmanias just have like a big hey, we're a big event. This one was, Man, I really want to get an American flag right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, And it was it was a time in our country we didn't you know at this point, you know where patriotism was, you know, top shelf there. I mean, everybody was into being part of our country and standing up, and I brought a lot of people together. It's just that the timing of it, as far as this event in particular, really got dicey. It was you know, you talk about two sides of a conflict here, That's pretty much what it was. You know, people were either well I guess I'm sure there were a few that were just I don't know, I'm not quite sure, but people had really strong opinions about us going forward with this, and it was kind of that the you know, that train was heading downhill and you're not going to stop that train. It's it's so they had to keep moving forward and they made several adjustments along the way. But you know, there were people really in some camps like just stop it, don't even don't move forward with it. And you know, as we know with the ww FWWE and Vince McMahon, that's not gonna happen. He's going to make something work no matter what. As I have said before in those meetings, he would say it every time, nothing can go wrong. What he meant by that was, no matter what happens, you make it work. And you know, some people can argue they didn't make it work. Well others will say, yeah, they did, they pulled it off.
Speaker 1: That's kind of a big question I have because we've talked about Sergeant Slaughter and a Rocky sympathize a character multiple times, but this time around it's really about, so why is it okay for movies to use a nine to eleven or big, huge monumental moments in American history to sell movies or T shirts, But for wrestling, when they use something like this with Sartaint slaughter in Hull, Koga and America.
Speaker 3: Why is this looked at as this, oh, you can't do this?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that people, you know, like you say, with movies or anything else, you know, they it's it's fiction. But the thing is with professional wrestling, you know, you always created that illusion that maybe there was some part of reality to it as well. And even you know, a vast majority of the audience knew it was fiction in that sense, but you know, they always I can bring in what was actually happening in the world, they capitalized on it, and so I think that a lot of people felt that they they just took advantage of a situation when they should have been more sensitive to actually what was going on. And kind of in that rule of professional wrestling, and there's no bad publicity in the sense, you know, and the more heat you get, the better it is. You know, flowers and puppies and kiddies doesn't sell like you know, blood and guts, you know, pure evil hate, you know, aggression, that's that's sell us. And so this was one of those situations where you had these characters that I mean, we discussed the heat servant slaughter generated and the other minions involved. It was it was napalm. It was the next level as far as you know, heat, death threats, and that became reality for you know, people involved in this storyline. So it really is that kind of that blur you go to the movies. You know, you know this is they believe wrestling always tried to create that, you know, there's something to it. And when you do that and they and the people that certainly know it's a work, as we say, get pissed because they're like, well, you know it's a work, and look what they're doing. You know they're they're doing they're taking advantage of this situation. But it was, you know, right up and it just kept getting worse because literally when this event took place, we've got troops on the ground and it was when you're talking life and death in that situation.
Speaker 1: Can you take me through the security systems of w w h Q in the studio you worked in, because up to we had January Royalumbo ninety one saw to win the championship. The war has started and we lead up to Sonia. We've heard stories of man calling Sargeant Slaughter saying, hey, the death threats against my family and your family. We're going to send security over's gonna take.
Speaker 2: Care of you.
Speaker 1: Serge was walking around with bulletproof vests on as he traveling around the country. What was it like for you personally in the situation buildings for Usmania, knowing that security might be an issue because it was a big issue at the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we always had security at our facilities. And back then, if people know what the real setup was, we had the town, which is where was basically the WWE headquarters. That's where everything was and you know, the marketing and you know, all the corporate stuff. And then we had one twenty Hamilton, and Hamilton was was not far was the Stone's Throw really, you know, five minutes away, but you had to cross over the freeway there. I ninety five and we were tucked back into this area that was you know where houses in a very industrial area of Stanford, Connecticut. And you know, when I was there, we didn't have the big gates or anything like that, but I know that they did step up security. We had security teams there. Where's I concern when I got in my car and went to my condo in Norwalk? Now, I really didn't fear for that, but there was a stepped up sense of man, you know, they're taking this stuff very seriously. You know, Sergeant Slaughter has talked about when he went home after you know, being on the road and showing up at his house after Vince had warned him that you know, things are getting really serious. And he goes to his house in Connecticut and you know this long road that goes up this hill where his house was, and there's vans out in front of the house. Well, Vince had secured a security team. You know, these guys in suits were talking in their ear you know, with the earpieces and yeah, and they were at his house twenty four to seven, and they wanted to go as far as you know, accompanying his wife and family whenever they went to the store and all these you know, everything else, because they really did have to protect start starteg somebody with them all the time. And uh, you know, especially because he was out there traveling. But but sorry, his wife said, you know, no that we're not We're not doing that. I'm not going to do that. But they did watch the house and they took it very very seriously. And also, you know, people knew who were who the guy would be on the curtain was, so Vince McMahon was getting a lot of threats as well. So it was it was a really weird time. You know, when you live in that world, you get used to that. You know, we had security around. Uh you know the famous shot of me and and Bobby in front of the Manhattan Center with Bobby dressed and dragged there. If you see that that picture, there's a guy in the in the middle of us there, and uh, he's a security that's a security guy, and he you know, you get to know these guys and I remember seeing that and I remember him because he was around all the time. He took care of us and it you know, it might be just one guy, but whenever we did shoots like that, we had we had security around. But at that point, when you're you know, leading into russell Mania seven and everything that was going on there, it was definitely stepped up. You saw more more bands following, you know us, and when we did things, uh, more guys at the at the events because they didn't want to take any chances. But you always had to have somebody around because there were people that weren't balanced and you never knew what they might do, and incidents like that happened, but this was where somebody actually take a shot at you know, Sarge or you know, something like that. So it was a really tense time for the company.
Speaker 1: Now kind of like a two part question, is that worth all of that security for Vince and his family in the side and slaught for our storyline for a television show for professional wrestling? Or also the question would be do you think Vince is like opening up a curtain in his house and seeing securities.
Speaker 3: Like can you believe it? They hate us so much? I want to kill us, Like this is amazing.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't I don't think that that's the way Vince looked at because it was becomes a big inconvenience in your life. Anybody that's ever had to deal with that. You know, maybe at first you feel really important because you got people, You've got people following you around and the you know, the moon parts on the move whatever it is. But after a while I was like, oh god, you know these guys are just here. Yeah. So I don't think that Vince really looked at it that way. But overall, I mean, I think the level of heat he knew that that was going to translate into, you know, more money for the company and more interest in what we were doing. So it's the event. You know, you're thinking about when this was in the company's history and you know, business wasn't great and they, as we know, originally they wanted to sell out the LA Coliseum. Well, yeah, you know the LA Coliseum. What's it whole one hundred and ten thousand something, you know at the time, and it's an awful venue for what we want to do. If you've ever been in there, Steve, it's a It is a coliseum.
Speaker 3: I've only walked by it. I've never actually been inside.
Speaker 2: It is gigantic. It is gigantic. I don't know what the original intent for the design of that thing, but it really wasn't designed for any sport. I mean, unless maybe it was gladiators.
Speaker 3: That's what it looks like.
Speaker 2: Because you're just so far away and it's antic. And even back then, I thought when they first announced that that's what they wanted to do, how are you going to fill this? And it was you know, we weren't really into that age of where we had the big you know, people had jumbo trons, but it wasn't anything like what they evolved into where you had all of the you know, the monitors everywhere, so you the guys would have looked like this big, you know when you see them from where they even the good seats were going to be far away. And and this was also before they were doing the you know, the giant stages that we see. It was way way before that. And and so what are you going to have. Imagine this like your center your center stage is going to be a ring in this giangantic coliseum and uh and not very well built for something like that. So they they and there's a documentation that people say, you know that the ticket sales were just awful. I think you know, within the first two weeks they'd only sold I think they said fifteen sixteen thousand, and people say it was closer to ten. So you know, so it's mass panic. Oh my god, you know. I Basil Dedido, who I'm sure people some people have heard of them, especially we've talked about them on the podcast, was kind of the marketing guy behind all this and mapping out ticket sales, and so you can imagine after two weeks and he's like, oh my god, you know, what are we going to do? So there was definitely something to when they switching the venue to say, you know, it's a big security risk. And I think that they will that'll go to their graves of saying that that's that was the reason. But and I and I will not I'm not going to say it wasn't part of the equation here. But also the idea that we're going to have on one hundred and ten thousand seat stadium and maybe we could put in thirty thousand. Can you imagine what that would look like in there? You're not going to be flying the blimp over that will wrestle Lady of seven.
Speaker 1: A lot, push them all the hard camera, hard camera, so it looks from this one camera angle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bob Collins, I always talk about him, is you know the promotion guy that he used to you know, you move people around during the night when we did TV tapings as the kids fell asleep or had to get a home, go to school, be doing that. They'd have to, you know, be moving people in mass But anyway, it came down to that where they were going to have to they just realized, you know, we're not this is not going to look good. So we got to find an alternative, which they did with the LA they were in LA.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it worked, it worked out for them.
Speaker 2: But and you know, they had shown what we could do with those small arenas at the Boardwalk in New Jersey of Atlantic City, and you know, those things only had I think there was seventeen eighteen thousand people, and you know, it's all perception on those campus and if it's a packed house, no matter if it's you know, twelve fifteen thousand, you can make it look like this exciting venue. And you know that's that was going to be easy to do. They were going to be able to pack that thing to the rafts.
Speaker 1: No, they dressed it very nicely. Like I said, I when you turn on Wrestling seven and I washed it for the first time in so long.
Speaker 3: The first thing I see it's like you see the American flags.
Speaker 1: You see the wrestling you sign that has red, white and blue in the logo. They've changed it up a little bit from the gold over the years, the yellow, so it's it's you can tell like they have a theme for this. Even if they were going to fill up one hundred thousand people, I'm assuming you know, these these little banners had to be printed out once they realized by February they weren't going to go to the coliseum, and they're all right, well, we gotta we gotta order some shit now because we don't have a giant banner to fill one hundred thousand. We got to fill you know, twenty thousand. So you're right about that. They'll die to their graves. Was it security reasons? Was it poor ticket sales?
Speaker 3: Either way?
Speaker 1: Finding out that the weather was fifty five degrees that evening on WrestleMania, So imagine that you're in La one hundred thousand people, it's fifty five degrees in today's world.
Speaker 3: Even when they go wrestling Flora, they.
Speaker 1: Have a heated mat because they want to make sure the wrestlers say, how you said toasty?
Speaker 2: Imagine they come on and you know, fifty five degrees, You of all people should know, like, fifty five degrees. Well we're shorts. I wait, people in Los Angeles, Yeah, fifty five degrees. Oh my god, I'll have that letter. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hats and gloves, man.
Speaker 1: I went to Philly for WrestleMania thirty nine and it was freezing winter.
Speaker 3: Hats, coats, sweatshirts, gloves.
Speaker 1: We were dying up in the press box because it was so cold, and then the w W the next day was like, We're never coming back here again.
Speaker 3: So, you know, fifty five, it is pretty damn cold Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: You're right, you know, but with Wrestlmanias there's always celebrities in this celebrity Oh my god, I love this group of celebrities, Like these guys clearly wanted to be involved.
Speaker 3: You have you have Alex Trebek, who has wonderful moments throughout the night. You also have a few interesting pieces here.
Speaker 1: Marla Maples, who was involved with Donald Trump at the time, eventually becomes his.
Speaker 3: Wife, Missus Trump.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's actually in the audience as well, with Henry Winkler, Chuck.
Speaker 3: Norris, Lou frigg. What a couple of celebrities in the audience.
Speaker 2: Huh, who do you think I was more excited about all those people?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna guess Henry Winkler.
Speaker 2: No, Chuck Norris. Come on, he was like such a badass. I couldn't wait to meet him. Yeah. You know what, though, the surprising is how small he You know, like a lot of times you meet these celebrities and uh, you know there they're like five seven five five, Like that's a big tough, badass guy that I see on TV. You know a lot of people are like that Tom Cruises and that tall Stas and Stadium's not that you know, these guys that are known as these big, massive, tough guys and you can see what they can do. They make them look like on TV. But that didn't matter. He was still Chuck Norris and he was still a fucking badass. I'm sorry, But.
Speaker 3: So they all came backstage, well.
Speaker 2: You know, they were around you know that. Yeah, So it wasn't like he got a chance to hang with him. The other the one I did get to hang with was Regis on occasions because he you know, so we should talk about Reechs at some point. But he was a huge wrestling fan and so Regis would come and he lived in New York did they take their show there? And he would come to the Garden shows all the time. And he was really good friends with Freddie Blassie because you know, Freddie lived in southern California for a lot of his career and was really well known there. And as I said, Regis was a huge fan of Professional Westling and he used to have Freddie come on his show that he had there. He had a morning show there, I think it was in San Diego. And so they became really very close friends. And Regis was around all the time, a huge fan and he was really a good guy too. You know, he would he would just come and hang out. He just loved being around the boys. And also how many how many times he had recites on Regis and Kathy Lee she hated it. She hated it when they would come on there. But Regis, you know, he was a he was he was in charge, and he loved bringing those guys on and I think a lot of it he loved to do it just because he knew it would tweak her. Remember Rick Rude came on and he had the tights with her face on the front of its crotch and he did that on Burt. I'm sure that that he told him to, you know, this would be awesome, and it worked. I think she walked off the set.
Speaker 1: She does she goes up there's like fake stairs. I think in the set she like leaves and goes back over there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I like anyway, getting back to Uh, the celebrities there, and it was come on, we were in Los Angeles. It was easy pickings and and and surprisingly or maybe not, but you know a lot of celebrities love professional wrest you know, they're the same as you know, rock stars too. You know, guys would come h they all. You know, it's funny because these guys are very successful in professionals and you know, the guys that were musicians wanted to be actors, and actors wanted to be you know, musicians, and the actors want to be professional wrestlers. And the same thing with these guys. So this was not a tough sell, you know to get. I think that they actually, you know, turned down people, you know, to give little tickets and stuff because they wanted it, you know, but it was quice a turnout. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Alex Trebek is also here.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to forget him because you know, Jeopardy is one of the biggest things in the world at this point in time. In ninety one, again you have Regis Philibert and Kathy Lee having their amazing morning show.
Speaker 3: But when I was like, Marlin mable who that? And I had to go googles, Oh that's why.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's why you're here because you were involved with a scandal with Trump at the time, and we couldn't really prove you were involved weren't involved, but we're gonna bring you in here for some I don't know, some gotcha journalism maybe.
Speaker 3: But Regis is hilarious.
Speaker 1: When me and Jean introduces all the celebrities, he's backstage with them. He introduces Regis and the first thing he says, he's like, I'm afraid of earthquake.
Speaker 3: I already pick over a pizza cart and meat the whole thing.
Speaker 1: And Jean's like, all right, Uh, Marla, let's go to Marla.
Speaker 3: Marla says she's.
Speaker 1: Going to be backstage doing interviews in the men's locker room, and she is going to tell it like she sees it. Jean starts laughing and says, there's gonna be a lot of cold showers tonight. What And then we go to Alex Trebek and means like me, Jane's like my best friend here, Alex Trebeck. We're very close friends. And Alex does not call it Jean by his name. He mistakenly says a different name. And this is where I go, Oh, this is gonna be good, like this is gonna be good stuff. But how often do celebrities come forth and be like I want to do all this fun stuff or some of very very closed off like I want to do exactly what I'm supposed to be doing because I don't want to expose who I really am.
Speaker 2: Yeah that you know, some of them are you know, really into it, and others were just looking for an opportunity. That that was what it was kind of cool to see happened, because you know, initially, I'm sure uh, years before that, if somebody would have gone to a celebrity and say, hey, they the WWF wants you to come on a bit like what, oh my god, I can't believe and they'd asked me to do that, I would know. That's to the point where you know, people are going, yeah, a lot of people are paying attention to this, and and they're the cool kids, and so it got to the point where you know, they could pick and choose in a lot of ways to do that, and some of it was just cameo, just have them there so you see him, which is awesome. You know they're just sitting watching and enjoying it. But there are other people that you know that were high profile enough and if they could get them to do some kind of shtick with them, absolutely, And that was what was great about Alex Trebek is that, you know, here he was. People really had never gotten a chance to see Alex Trebek. And it's in kind of that situation. You never really saw him going on talk shows. You didn't see people interviewing him very often. So to see him, you know, out of that that very stoic, uh, you know, very straight man delivery game show host guy. Uh. Trying to loosen up him a little bit, but uh, it was it was what was funny. It was very difficult for him to do it. I think he wanted to, he just wasn't capable. You know, It's just it was just kind of like robotic in a sense. You know that I and I've known other people like that too, you know, like you want to have fun, you want to get in, and you just it's just too hard for you. So yeah, that was fun. Yes, yeah, he And that's that's just the way Regis was though. You could throw that guy into any situation and uh, and he would make it work. And and he that that was like his whole kind of self deprecating and uh, you know, making fun of people and rolling with things. So yeah, he was a natural for it, and he he loved it. He would have done every I think every WrestleMania we had, you know that they want they asked him to. I mean every time he would, he would be there. I actually I went to a dinner one night where Freddie was. Freddie was receiving some kind of lifetime achievement award. It was in New York City, and uh, Regis came down and presented the award to him.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: And you know, we went to the dinner and also out at the table, Joy was there. I remember Joy Philvin who would fill in all the time. She she came to and uh and uh, Miyako was Freddie's We get well, I got to tell you stories. We have to do an episode just of Freddie. And I've mentioned before how close we became. But I've got some command of stories because they would send us out together too, kind of the ambassadors, because Freddie lived in Scarsdale, and you know, and I was at the h the mother Ship, and and so we would do all kinds of stuff that we'd go to golf tournaments and but getting dude right now that we got to do Freddy, Freddy was just he was He was no classy. Uh so.
Speaker 3: Don't on that geek.
Speaker 2: That's the first word that comes to mind when you think of Freddie blasting. But yeah, so there was a real strong connection. And Regis was one of those people that he was, you know, up until the time that he really retired, that guy was still uh you know on television, you know, hosting game shows, and he just was uh, you know, tremendous and as I said, he a really great guy. And some of these guys, like you said, you would see quite often when I told you that, like Bob Costas used to come to the Garden all the time just be backstage. He just would slip in and just hang out.
Speaker 3: Well he didn't hang out here.
Speaker 2: Shows every month. So yes, so celebrities, Oh yeah, we will talk about that. Yeah. I felt was kind of like, really, Bob, you know, and that that's where I kind of started to yeah, well, I mean like that we were buds or anything like that. My feeling of hey, dude, you know you you took advantage and wanted to be there. You're like you were a mark basically, and then now suddenly your highbrow. I mean really after you know, all the opportunities that they gave you and you know, welcomed you in and this is what you do. And of course over that interview with Vince was kind of dude. So anyway that there was always the strong connection to celebrities and of course being intinsultown for this one, it was it was really I mean, we had our pick these guys. A lot of people wanted to be a part of it. You know, some just basically got cameos and others they h actually got to do some shick with him, which I think that I think those guys always enjoy it. I really do.
Speaker 1: Are we just he pulls off. I think he's the MVP of celebrities because he's back staying. He's interviewing the Undertaker, and the Taker is just measuring him like thirty four, and Paul Beer is writing them down. Oh okay, like are they gonna kill me?
Speaker 3: They're gonna bury me?
Speaker 2: Ya, They're gonna always said he's a tailor too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then he also interviews like ten Ru and there's a language barrier there, so he just does.
Speaker 2: Dropping down right, He's like.
Speaker 3: Kis Oh my god, what are we doing? What are we doing? But again it's nine tinety one.
Speaker 1: I guess I'm not gonna look at it with these today's eyeballs.
Speaker 3: But Alex Tabak has a few interviews backstage. Again you're bright.
Speaker 1: He seems like he's trying to break out of his shell, but he doesn't know how, Like he doesn't know what extreme levels to go up, so he just gonna stay flat, which is fine. Martley really doesn't do much at all with all night long. She's supposed to be a timekeeper in the main event, which is really it. But again, I think she's here for the tabloids at this time because most likely you know, I don't have the Inquirer from the next day after WrestleMania seven, but I'm guaranteeing she's in it.
Speaker 3: Because of her relation at the time, Donald Trump. That's my guest. Really, that's my guest.
Speaker 2: It wasn't this incredible talent that they had to get her? What?
Speaker 3: Nope? I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Were there any celebrities backstage though that you don't see on camera that because you're in Los Angeles, like you brought up, like there's got to be somebody backstage if you can remember, well.
Speaker 2: Everybody you saw was who's there? I mean, somebody was going to show up.
Speaker 1: Just they didn't just let like a comp come backstage and hang out.
Speaker 2: But but I do remember, you know, when these people would come suddenly they had an arm garage of about twenty people. Always I'm sure that some of these people did have have peeps, but this time it was the wife, it was the kids. Uh you know, it was an uncle, it was a brother. You know, It's like they had these It would be, you know, one guy and then twenty people are coming and depending on their level of celebrity, was how big the crowd. So I'd tell them, like, you know, one person, if they really wanted them there, like I'd say, like it was if Henry Winkler was going to come up and he said, like I got tak twenty people want to bring them him, like Rember, all right, yeah, yeah, Mom's But but I do remember that it was like with all these you know, and they were just we're with them, you know, we're with him, you know, but they just wanted to be there. Then they wanted to be backstage, and of course they got some pretty prime seats too, for show them up. So it wasn't necessarily they were paying them fees to be there. And I'm sure you know that they did do stick. They got they got a piece, you know, got some some of that perse money. But just like if you just if you were a celebrity wanted to be there, and they would comp tickets because in exchange, you're gonna let us show you and show how cool it is that you're here and that you're really happy to be here.
Speaker 1: Right, So this is this little boys, the agent is this your son? Yeah, he's my agent. He's got to come, he has to be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But what's funny like that the number of the entourage would would certainly grow when they came to with those events, because yeah, and it just showed you how popular we were at the time, you know that as far as that with the celebrities said business was, but when it came down to people getting a chance to be close to those guys, everybody showed up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm brought up for a minute though, Bob cost Us and Roseanne refused to be here at Russemani because of the Gulf War storyline. Listen, like you said, you show up when we're hot and everyone loves us once there's a little heat.
Speaker 3: Like oh I I guys, gotta go, I gotta go. That happens a lot.
Speaker 1: I think with connections like that, where you see something you're like, well, I don't want my name attached to that because maybe it'll land back on me.
Speaker 2: Yeah Roseanne, Yeah, and thank god we didn't have her there to sing the national anthem.
Speaker 3: You know, she's the best, She's the greatest. How dare you?
Speaker 2: But I get it in a lot of ways. You know, you've got people that are managing you and telling you this isn't going to be good and for us to do this, and so yeah, maybe that's had something to do with it. And you know, when you're working for I don't know if it's the time where she was, but you know, if let's say you're working you're under contract for a show or something like that, and they say, you know, this isn't going to be good, this is not a good reflection on our products, so we're asking you not to do it. So a lot of that stuff I didn't if somebody said no, I'm not going to do it, I didn't necessarily think, well, it's because of them. They're being a jerk about it. You got to understand that it got people handling them and that have some control of their lives and what they do, so they're going to make decisions that way. Bob was different because for me anyway, because he was really connected to our product in a lot of ways that he would know, he was around all the time. He was a big, big fan, and then just kind of you know, turned I don't know really when it came down to it. I don't genuinely think it was because his outrage over the storyline, So that one was different from me.
Speaker 1: But you're upset about Roseann war. It's more personal with you in Roseanne.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Earth then get it, you know?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: All right, well, you know the main event of this WrestleMania is Hogan versus starting slaughter. But original plans was when tug Boat turned a wholt Cogan. He was going to be Typhoon and joining up with earth quake natural disasters. No, no, he was going to be chic tug Boat. He was going to be an Iraqi sympathizer, where he was going to be the one who suddenly loved and hated America.
Speaker 2: Did about it doesn't that it sounds so up speak tug Boat. They can put the like like oh like it's music. Yeah, I'm I'm glad that didn't happen. I I think that would have been a disaster. And uh I love I love me some Fred, but that one was not you know, coming out the stripes and the sailor and putting change in that over that was a tough stunt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't I don't think that would have worked. You know, we already didn't starting slot in. Hogan already had poors ticket sales. You know, according to everything chic tug Boat versus Hogan might have might have been worse. Really, Yeah, I'm not sure about that. But you know, you had a busy night arrest wenty seven though you interviewed the rockers, Slick Warlord, Heart Foundation, Legion of Doom, Start and Slaughter, and you're involved with Bobby Heen and mister Perfect. Wow, you got at you had a busy day, sir, You had a busy day.
Speaker 3: You're in your pay. You earned your pay that day.
Speaker 1: But how so we talked before about how some people can get down to the business immediately one take done with this group of people. How long is this taken to do throughout the day, because what time are you coming to the arena to record all these interviews are gonna air later on well.
Speaker 2: And and some of them WERELD I can't recall exactly which ones, but yeah, but because we've talked about that before, like when it has to be something that's a post for there's nothing you can really do about it, You've got to you got to roll with it. Yes, But yeah, we did the you know, the backstage tapings and these and all those guys you know, uh, we're really good, you know, basically one take. I don't remember times when we did these. And at this point, these guys had become well worsed early on in the career. In the career these people and let's say they were territories and they didn't have the opportunity to do as many you know type promos and especially the kind that we did. But at this point, you know, and these guys were seasoned vets and this was half your job, was you being able to perform in front of a camera and be able to do a promo. So you know, we got we would get right through these things. And everybody felt the pressure because as I've mentioned before, you know, Vince was there for everything, and if he wasn't in the physically in the room with you, he was watching in the truck or something like that, he would he would see everything. So we all knew that when we it was go time, we had to nail it. And and I don't you know, I'm sure there were exceptions, but for the most part, everybody nailed. There was not you know, to the point we were going back and back then we were. It wasn't the scripted thing. I think would have been a much more difficult time for everybody if there were words on a page that we all had to hit. We had you know, a lot of these guys had creative licensees in the sense that you know your character, you know we're going a hit these bullet points basically, And so it was in many ways.
Speaker 4: And as you could that you could say, I say, you know genuinely, like you think that was a genuinely coming from that care that these guys knew those those characters so well that they were speaking for that character.
Speaker 2: And so I that's why I think like back then they were so good that those the promos because you know, none of them were ever if you did two takes or three takes, they weren't. They weren't exactly the same. They were going to be different by a few words or a different you know look, or whatever they would do. And so I think that's what made them so good. But we would you know, it was a tight schedule, and you know, they moved these guys in and out, and they were doing stuff, especially for WrestleMania. There was all other kinds of stuff going on, and you know they wanted them out there in the ring. They rehearse, you know, at least talk about their spots stuff. So you know, when you got them in there, it was like, okay, let's go. I don't remember really even getting a chance to sit down, you know, to I have a bottle of water off the side there. But it was one after another, and you know we might knock them all off in a couple of hours, but it had to get done. And we had crews. You know, they don't have the cruise that they have now, so you know, even these camera guys, they were going to be somewhere else, you know, and at four or whatever it was, and so and we were out there days before, so we were shooting stuff. Uh, but we might have to do something might change, you know. Also the things would change too, they would go in a different direction, maybe tweaking something like that. So they need the guy that we're going to rede that promo. So you just had to be ready whenever they needed you. So you know, it was really efficient. Uh And and you roll off that list and I'm like, man, I guess there was a lot, you know, but those days are kind of a blur in the sense that you just that's what you did, and you had to be prepped and ready, and I had to know when this guy came in, we'd run through it. And as I have always said, you know, you've got to make sure. My job was to make sure whoever was there that I made all the moving parts work, that I this guy's talk at first, get to the guy in back. Then you're back up front. He's gonna either go into the camera and they're going to be out of this, go back to me. And I got to say, all right, let's get back to the ring. Let's get back to the ringside brow or you know. So, yeah, it was a lot going on, but I knew that when it was my time I had to make sure that I nail it. I didn't want to be that guy that held it up, and so I made sure that you know, this is like you said, you have one job movie, don't don't be that bad the bad week.
Speaker 1: Say that it's true.
Speaker 2: I mean that's the way I actually looked at it. You know that. I I just I respected so much what those guys did, and I don't want I'm not saying look talent and what I did, but I said, like, I'm not the folk, I'm not the focus of this, you know, I am the one that I'm the mic stand in the sense. I mean, I don't hate put it that way, but I've got to make sure that everybody gets heart. That was like an art in itself, especially when you had, you know, if it was four or five guys in one interview. But yeah, that was that was my job. And when I had to, when I had to be ready to go, I was.
Speaker 1: Is there a line of wrestlers waiting behind each other or is there a specific time for each one to show up? Because I met in my brain it's like there's the Rockers, but next to them is the Heart Foundation, but next to them is slick, like there's a long ass line. They're all waiting, tapping their toes like Disney lines, or they all have a specific time at a different time of the day.
Speaker 2: Well, like anything else, try and schedule things right, whatever it is. And okay, you know, it's a tugboat from two to two ten's, you know, and then things get backed up, somebody comes in, you know, somebody gets pulled, they come back. So yeah, there was there was a backup. And it was funny because you know, here these guys would be used to performing in front of thousands of people and uh and doing hundreds of promos every TV taping. They're going into the Cube. I've told you about that, the Soundproof Cube. But there was something about you know, WrestleMania, as big as it was, and on certain occasions that when let's say, like you said, it got backed up and then somebody would come in and and some of the guys who would make them self conscious that one of the other guys was watching them, and you could see it, like the the anxiety of like, fuck in front of you know, the rockets, I don't want to you know, And it was funny because they were there. There were people like that. You know, like Fred would be that way a little bit. You know that she she tugboat and and initially he had a really tough time, but he got much better. But it was funny that, you know, I'm talking about where she you're in front of all these things, all these all this pressure and the rain and everything, and that something is silly as that, you know, where you're in this room and you're in front of the camera and then some other guy comes into their off camera and you and you could just say, they're like they it's bothering them that they're there, that it's it's it's impacting them. And that would happen to some of the guys, you know, when they were comfortable with who the crews are used to me being around and they know I wasn't judging them or you know, and the crew guys just kind of invisible in a sense, you know that they were so used to it. But then somebody else would come in and you know, like, oh god, that's undertaker back there, you know, uh, and that it would you could just you know, you could just see that kind of they get through it, but you knew it would be different. And I felt like sometimes like I just wanted to go, like, you know, just just come back in it. But isn't that crazy though, that you you would see it like visibly happen, you know, God forbid, Colt came in the room or something, you know, the guys, but you would it would get backed up and then we for the most part, uh because you would wait outside, you know, because you didn't want But when in a lot of situations like in the arenas well we didn't have it. We were in this open area and they would just put up those you know kind of sound boards that you know, keptcause we just had to do it. So everybody would be standing there, you know, they could sit there and watch, and it was just funny how it would impact some guys. The other guys didn't that they were so used to doing it, but there were a few that it definitely had an impact on their performance.
Speaker 1: Well, the Slick when you interviewed him, he so Warlord is finding the British bulldog. So Slick is with Warlord and I got to give like Slick, my god, he used every dog pune like dog it's gonna be.
Speaker 3: Good doggy dog world out there like bark is worse than your bite, all.
Speaker 1: These neutering you neutering you like, there's little things like god damn, Like this guy is so good at his job.
Speaker 3: Like you said earlier, some people are just talking.
Speaker 1: They're not talking as themselves, are talking to the character they is in their brain and they know exactly what that character would say when they would say it. So he's brilliant. But you did bring up Vin smic Mann for a minute. What is his demeanor like a Russemanian versus a normal day of work. Obviously he's always involved, but what is the difference from your perspective of events being involved at WrestleMania versus a Wrestling Challenge taping.
Speaker 2: Well, so Wrestling Challenge taping is at eleven WrestleMania about thirteen. Yeah, it's certainly raised raising level, But you know, even though you were very aware of that, the Vince was always like that, you know, like you never saw him sweat as they say, so the intensity, yeah, it was was going to be raised, but Vince was always the way. It was always Vince. I mean, he was always just wired and ready to go. And it's really hard to be around a human being like that when uh, he just expects you to be up and ready and thinking and performing twenty four hours a day. I always that that circle that in between Pat and especially you know, like Bruce, and there were a few others later, you know, with JJ and and I just I felt sorry. I was like, God, those poor bastards, because how do you know? But how do you say? You know? He if if he Vince got up at two in the morning because he decided he wanted to work out and then he had this you know, epiphany or whatever of what they're going to do, what wouldn't be unusual for him to tell those guys come up, get get to the house. You know. They were there at the place in Greenwich. Yeah, hours and hours and I I don't know how they survived because that is just you know. And Kevin, Kevin Dunne too, m hm. He was that he was the Vince whisperer. I mean, there's there's one human being on the planet who gets Vince and can be around could be around him for hours and hours and hours. It's Kevin. And uh, you know, that's the special relationship he had with him since he was basically a kid. You know, when he came into the company with the you know, because his dad initially started with the production with them and him and Bruce and Patt that was and those guys would be there talking, you know, doing booking and stuff for just endless, endless hours and so, uh, that's just who Vince is. And I don't think you know, I certainly I haven't been around him in decades, but I knew a lot of people who were and uh, and they said he if anything he got, he got work. So he got more and more intense and more and more involved in He wasn't when I was there. He wasn't walking around with a headset talking live to the color and the you know, the play by play guys, the you know. So that's just the way it was. It wasn't necessarily like, oh crap, it's wrestle Mainie, he's going to be a maniac. It's no events, you know, but you knew with the biggest show of the year, Yeah, everything had to go well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I imagine ms Man is uh, you know, I I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to say him like him, but I have these ideas, like three in the morning, I should call Sean Mooney right now.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, what time is it with Sew Mooney is oh, I can't do that.
Speaker 2: I can't do that, and he just got off work. I can't call him.
Speaker 3: He will kill me. He will kill me.
Speaker 1: But let's get to the event because one of the biggest things about this is Ultimate Warrior versus the Macho King career ending match. Warrior defeats the Macho Man in one of the greatest wrestlemanding matches of all time, not just Golden Era of all time. Did Macho Man, Because there's so many stories about this, did mauchmen actually want to step away from the ring? Or is this a we want you to go be work in the office, Savage. We want to use your mind, not your body. What do you think I'm gonna say, No, so many stories from other people on other podcasts about this.
Speaker 2: No, you know, even though you know maybe in some ways that the idea of getting a break and getting paid is good, is a good thing in professional wrestling, and at that point, you know, Randy's very well paid. And but no, no, not for one second, did Randy Savage ever ever want to step out of the ring, and especially at that point in his career, And as we have discussed before, I don't know what Randy was at that time, how old he was. I think he was thirty nine somewhere. You know, he was a young man still, and here you're considering him some geezer because you're right. So it's just amazing. Today we see what the guys are doing, and in their fifties, you know that they're still doing unbelievable things in the ring. But at that time, and of course you know, Vince is always thinking what's next, and the youth movement is underfoot here. No, So the answer to that is Randy wasn't wasn't keen on, you know, stepping away. And I think even at the time he was thinking, like, you know, maybe I'll just go I'll go down south and I'll do something there. But figured, okay, I'll give this a shot. And and I think he knew they're gonna need me. They're gonna need me. So if they're gonna pay me a lot of money just to go to the broadcast table, okay, and I'll see how that goes. And I think that he also thought, you know, maybe they're gonna I think they told him that, you know, you could help with the booking. You know that he was going to have some influence in that sense, and when that really didn't come to fruition and he wasn't keen on moving to Stanford or something like that. He's not going to Vincent House at two in the morning. So yeah, so overall he was not happy with that that situation at all. But you know, Randy was right they needed him, uh and he would just kind of waited it out, and you know, he was the guy that he was the go to and there were many times where he would he would step in and bring the house down and remind them how good he was and what an asset he was to the company. But at that time, you know, he wasn't happy with it. But like you just said, I mean, anytime he was in that ring, he was going to give everything he had and he was going to make that a memorable match. And there was a little extra to it because of the situation. I'm going to show them that, Hell, I'm at the top of my game.
Speaker 1: He was, because you're right at Summers ninety one, he's the main event, but it's his wedding and Warrior is suspended, Slash fired and Macha Man is called upon, Hey, we need you and that pulls off the most amazing storyline ever with Macho Men and James Roberts, which we have talked about on Savivs Series ninety one and this Tuesday in Texas podcast, So we have done those deep dives as well. But the match is memorable. What the ending is a tear jerk because as Savage is on the ground hurt Sherry, who's the manager at the time, I starts attacking him, kicking him while he's down. Miss Elizabeth apparently has the worst seats ever. She's all the way down in the aisleway. She couldn't get front row. She leaped over runs in attacks Sherry. Machman's confused. He doesn't know who's been kicking him. He almost punches Liz, you know, He's like, OHO's hit me, and he sez it's her and then holy shit, my god. I don't know if these are plants or not, but there are people hysterically crying in the audience. When Savage and Liz hugged for the first time since WrestleMania a little before WrestleMania five spent about two years now since they've hugged, they embrace, he holds the ropes open for her Mooney coming.
Speaker 3: How you're feeling that day.
Speaker 2: Right now, honestly, and I'm not I even I feel like that emotional thinking about it because of that relationship and I knew them and how you know, it was just it was it was one of those things that so many people wanted to see happen and then you see, you know, that payoff of it, and everybody was felt that way. I remember being backstage and and really it got to me and so I knew that, you know, you talk about a genuine moment. There was so much in that uh and to see that happen, and it was it was you know, the people that you saw it in the crowd, like you just said that, you know, God, finally, you know, we always knew it. They couldn't stay apart, Yeah they do. They love each other and so we all we all wanted to see that and that was to me, that was one of the greatest you know reunites. Well, you know, this them coming back together again was for a lot of people. You know, it was a reality. It was kind of like you know, people that had known behind the scenes, and I'm talking fans too, that you know, and to see them come together. And I'll tell you another thing about Liz too. You know, she wasn't she doesn't have anybody that really had to work and break. You know. She she did some bumps, which some were pretty amazing, but she really wasn't called upon to, you know, go in and do anything. And so this opportunity with Sherry was, you know, her chance to go out there and mix it up. And she was excited about it. And I remember, you know, Sary, because I knew Sherry very well, and you know, she told me like when when you come out, you got to lay it in, and and she does. You know, Liz did a pretty damn good jo because you know, as we've mentioned before, we share it. Anybody didn't no matter who it was, didn't didn't go you know, lay it in, put the way you're supposed to do it, like for reals, she would, she would that would be a receipt coming your way. And it was not going to be pleasant. Is you make her look bad, to make her look weak? And so it was awesome to see and I think live had a great time because you know she did it. She laid it in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she almost like grabs Sherry's hair too, as far as she could just whips her back. It's again, it's a beautiful moment because they let it breathe where we have macho is he can't see who's kicking him, so when Liz saves him, he has to look at Scherry on the outside. Cherry's like, I hate you. I did that, and he looks at Liz. Wait, you came to save me. You came to save me, and looking at the audience, the audience like she did.
Speaker 3: She did come to save you?
Speaker 2: What what?
Speaker 3: And you do?
Speaker 1: We love each other's too, And then they're slowly and she's crying a little bit too, and they hug. They show this kid in the audience, glasses and wearing like a raincoat, yellow raincoat on top, I don't know what's a hat, maybe crying hysterically grown women pouring tears.
Speaker 3: Again. Wrestlemaniam moments, do some great matches, and then there's moments. This ending is one of the top moments of all time, I feel like for WrestleMania, but there's also.
Speaker 2: Yep, no, I'll just saying that. I say it, and it's you know, I think about those two and when I see stuff like that, it doesn't really does impact because I just see how you know, like it's the tragic is what happened, and you know, it's like the it's like you see when people are at their peak and everything is awesome in there. Uh and that was that was that, That was that and what they brought professional but like on the personal side and like knowing how that relationship was and to his dying day, and I was glad for Randy that he you know, found happiness later in life, uh, you know, before he died. But I still to I believe to his dying day that that Liz was the true love of his life. And that was kind of like, you know, it was so genuine the two of those guys to get you know, them together that moment that it just really captured. And I think a lot of people remember that and that and those tears were real for everybody that in that crowd.
Speaker 1: So anyway, no, I I I'm glad, thank you for sharing that, because it's true where a lot of people are underneath the impression that you know, do they actually love each other is a storyline. But when you can see real tears happening in front of you and the audience is affected even if they even if it was a storyline, it clearly affected thousands of people in the arena and yourself with their pro relationships. What they were doing for us as an audience seeing their love come back into our lives versus seeing them break up two years ago because of Kogan's and his lust.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also you know, you have to remember Steve that you know, the company wasn't real big then in any comparison is it like is today? And it really it really wasn't in any ways a family very dysfunctional, but you got to remember, like these people they lived with each other. And I'm not talking specifically Randy and it lives, but you know, imagine like you spend more time of your life with these people than you do with your own blood, your own families. And so the guys that had been there for a long time, really it was they were Everybody was connected that way. And I think that, you know, I go to something when I've gone to some of these events and I see these superstars see each other again and how they interact with each other, it reminds me of you know, it's like an old, awesome, great friend that you had that you spent some of the best moments of your life, and you see them and then you pick right back up, like these guys pick right back up where they were like it was yesterday. Now they see each other more, you know, because of all these different shows. But when you see that, you you know, you understand that. You know, these guys were connected way more. It wasn't just business. You know, they spent their lives together in many ways, you know, as I said, more time than they were with their family. And so you know, Randy and Liz were part of that family at the time, and it wasn't like like I said, at least with that core of people that were there for a long time and very successful, that was a family. Mm.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: You're right, because the company was pretty small then versus now. Some departments even know each other. At the time, everyone kind of was in the same boat though. Yeah, one of the best Rustlemania matches and storylines and ending of all time. Try to argue and I'll fight you, but let's.
Speaker 3: Move on though.
Speaker 1: Blindfold match Jake to Snake Roberts versus Ricka Martel. We don't only see one of these matches ever, It's the first time in the WWF that is, and then years go on, you'd have a few more. Some people hate this match, some people love this match. I love the storytelling because of how Martell blinded Jake, so now Jake wants the blind Martel to even the odds in this matchup. That to me makes sense for you. Did you enjoy it because the crowd interaction makes it watchable if you didn't, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know blindfold match is in the book of storylines, you know, and how it said, but this was a different version, and we've you know, Rick the model of Martel being this heel and uh and pulling it off and how hard he worked to get that gimmick he wanted to be a heel and him pulling this off. And what better guy working with than Jacob Snake Roberts, you know, I mean, guy, you couldn't ask anything more, so all the way around, and I you know, it all worked for me, the whole the perfume thing. And we talked about when he was injured and I said, I would wish they would have laid it in more with the rushing it down, but yeah, but it worked, you know, and Jake sold it well, you know, like the whole thing memory. We talked about how when you were a kid and he saw him, we had the contact and with just the white guy like what right? Taking you back? So yeah, that was great. Uh.
Speaker 3: I don't know why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I always think it's funny with those ones where they have that. You know, I think like, how did they know the blindfold? Okay, it's got like that in netting, so you see, but you've got to be able to pull that off so that people believe you can't see anything, right, And that's not an easy thing to do. Uh, you know, you're not kind of like doing this like picking up the things right. Uh. And I thought, you know, it all worked.
Speaker 1: It all worked same when you're pointing in the crowd saying like hot cold, hot cold cold audience, that's all you're doing, and the crowd loves it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was cool. I love that, you know. And it was. And you know they do these before they get there, they'll go and they'll they'll run a few houses just to see the reaction they'll get. And I'm I don't think they ever went out there going Okay, what's gonna happen is they're gonna the crowd's gonna get into it and they're gonna be telling us where to go. I think that organically that happened at one of the houses and they're like, that's awesome. He's just crowd involvement, you know, and so they're kind of and every time they did it, that's what happened. So yeah, that was I loved it. I loved it great. Love that crowd interaction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what we're here for. I want to see a heavy crowd going crazy.
Speaker 1: I don't really care if you're watching, you know, some random match and you're not reacting. But when we started off with so many of seven, you had Grill Monsoon and Bobby Heenon joins on commentary later on, but Hacksaw Jim Duggan comes down dressed as Uncle Sam, mister Gimmick himself. I love him so very This dude is everywhere and he does commentary for this matchup. And I don't know if Hacksaw is the best guy to have on commentary, but he is the most funniest person to listen to while on commentary.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it wasn't necessarily going to be a permanent job, but very it was refreshing to see and he got to use all of his stick and all of his puns. Yeah, and he was great. You know, I'm a huge fan of Jim, so of course, yeah, at any time that he got an opportunity to to get out there and like you said, load him up. He mister gimmick and he was going to find a way to tell it. Yeah. I felt bad for him traveling with all that stuff. You know, you gotta do what you gotta do.
Speaker 1: But actually awesome because you know it is superstars and stripes forever. So when you have Uncle Sam show up to make sure you know we love America here, you know, make sure we understand you know, we love we love our Uncle Sam here in America. But the tag team titles change hands. Here the Nasty Boys pick up the win over the Heart Foundation. This is the end of Brett Hart being and a tag team. And Brett Hart in Summer Slim ninety one wins the Inner Curnental Championship. And do you think Anville kind of saw the running on the wall or he was oblivious to realizing that Brett was going to take out and be this new star that the w WF was really going to put the rocket on.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, Jim was no dummy, and this doesn't just happen at wrestle me. So you know, the groundwork had already been laid, and Brett had been wanting this opportunity for a long time. I think that maybe Jim thought, Okay, well, maybe I'm going to be able to have my own little single shot here and show them what I can do. And I think that you know, no matter who you are at a tag team, at some point, you know you want to see can I can I carry this on my own? Can I be a force? And you want that chance to have a light just shining on you. So yeah, I think he knew that it was coming and absolutely knew that that Brett was going to be getting the share of this this chance, but you know, you're still with the WWF and you're still a superstar. He would mess that up a bit and not shortly after that, but I think at the time it was business, So I don't think he wanted to hold Brett back. I don't think there was like, dude, really going to do this, You're going to leave. I don't think that that was the case at all, because you know, he took the opportunities when you can. And they've been together a long time and you know, not prior, you know, before this, they had familiar collection connections here, right, So this is not something just because when they went to the ww F that they're suddenly put together. This was all Jim got the opportunity because of Brett, so he couldn't really disparage him for that. And so me while he probably wasn't rilled that this was happening because it was a damn good ride, it's the heart foundation. He knew that this was going to happen. So it'll make the best of it and hope that you get to ride that trail too, that blazing trail that Brett was going to launch on.
Speaker 1: Now, earlier in the night, the Rockers defeated the Barbarian Hot Coup. Now this would be Marjenny's final WRESTLEMANI appearance. And again Jim Deevil Nightheart, this is his final appearance. It's very interesting to see because you flash fort a year later WrestleMania eight, yet Brett Hart fighting Roddy Piper Icy Championship match. Shawn Michaels is a single star kicking off the night against Al Mattador, Tito Santana.
Speaker 3: So it's just weird to see the.
Speaker 1: End of the anvil in marginety at WrestleMania, on these high profile matches because once their tag teams break up, one goes up, one goes down on each side, and really that really just came.
Speaker 2: It was painted in a sense. I mean, it wasn't by any means planned that. Okay, that's going to be their their last shining moment, and then wah wah wah. You know, but they all things happened, you know. They Jim I think, was suspended shortly after that. Uh that, and then Marty had his issues, So those were kind of self inflicted wounds. I mean, I don't think that, you know, they were going to push them out of the company right after that. They had use for both of them. Marty was very good, as we've talked about before. I thought he was you know, initially I thought he was the best half of that tag team, and so he could have probably done very well in singles competition if they found the right place for him and Jim, maybe they would have hooked him up with another tag team, you know, because he was he was good, But that that was kind of where he shined. But you know, you you live it, You live your own life, and you you gotta make the mistakes along the road, and they paid true.
Speaker 1: Well, my journey gets like a thousand more chances, even forms a tag team called the New Rockers with Al Snow who was Leaf Cassidy at the time. Jimmy Invil gets and it's like opportunity with Owen Hart as the New Foundation, returning in ninety four to help Owen Hard fight Brett Hart. So it was great to see Inville keep coming back here and there, and Marty also keep coming back here and there.
Speaker 3: This WrestleMania also has the birth of the Undertaker's streak. Untaker defeats super Fly Jimmy Snooka. No one knows what the streak is yet. It's just very interesting to see that Taker wins against super Fly. Here fly forward to Survivorstars ninety one. He's fighting whole coding for the world title.
Speaker 1: At this point, for you personally, are you looking at Taker as someone like damn, Like this guy isn't just good, he's great?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean and you talk you see about his ascension. My god, it was really it was spectacular to see and you know, I've talked with other people too about that character at the time because I was trying, you know, trying to remember, you know, talking to Chris Chambers because he was, you know, an integral part of all that too, behind the scenes that you know, that character was could have been just so you know, like almost one off. I mean, if somebody didn't know what to do with it, it was kind of a you know, it's like a dead guy, like, Okay, what are you gonna do with it? Right? And and and it was like the second he came out with that you know, everything, the outfit that he had on, the demeanor, the like he just grabbed the presence of you know, the minute he came in and he just captivated everybody there. So after seeing him after a short period of time, and he just kept I always tell people like they're hitting singles, well, he was hitting you know, triples and home runs every time, you know, he came out. It wasn't just he was his solid he was you'd just see him every time that his confidence was growing and his presence was going and he didn't even have to say anything, and he just being aware of the camera and when he would make that turn and the things that he could do with his eyes and so it is, it's amazing. I don't know too many others that you can talk about that had that kind of a rise in the company, in the profession. Then you know, Mark, he was what was the mid twenties at that point, even I don't even know if he was mid twenties at that point, because I think he came in he was two or twenty three. So to see where he went in that short period of time and never looked back. So yeah, just tremendous, and everybody was aware of it. There wasn't somebody, there was nobody discounting like he's aploak. You know, it was rock solid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had an incredible year.
Speaker 1: And one of the storylines that I thought was so excited to see the end of if this event was Virgil defeating million dollar Man Ta Dibiassi by count out.
Speaker 3: They broke up at Roy Rumble ninety one.
Speaker 1: But for the past couple of years, since eighty eight, they've been a package deal, Virgil always helping million dollar man out. But now they're showing highlights of Virgil doesn't like to massage the million dollar man's bunions and he doesn't like to do these types of mean things anymore. So finally we're getting Virgil. Well, he's getting paid to do these things too. I always wondered about that, like, well you're getting paid to do these mean things?
Speaker 3: Like are you not an employee of million dollar Man? But either way, he finally breaks off. They fight.
Speaker 1: Here Piper is in the corner of Virgil and throw out the vignettes. Piper's fine, he's doing great. Shows up on crutches here. Apparently had a bad accident in a vehicle, so he's hurt. Virgil wins a Sherry ends up coming down to help Mindola Man and they get together. So now Sherry and Machument are over. Teddy Bear begins with Sherry. What do you think of the end of the story, likee is I love the Virgil of Mundela Man package, But once it's over, Mundela Man and Virgil both slowly go down the ranks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean that whole gimmick was was perfect in a sense that you know, Virgil was perfect for that role. You know, the look he had, ah the the way that ted treated him, and he would just he would he took it even from the beginning you know, Virgil was would always acted us, you know, he'd always do whatever it was, but there was always kind of that Okay, I remember what my place is here, and I amn't getting paid and he's paid paid a lot of money, and it's yeah, I grip my teeth and when I'm gonna do it, and and so even from the very beginning, and I'm sure that's what Vince told him, You've always got to have slow burn back, like he got you're doing it, but you're not. You're not. You know, it's like, yeah, sure, what do you want me to do? Okay? Yeah, there's always got to be that little resentment of where I am, my role in life. But at the same time, there's a price, you know, and it's a good price for me. So the when we're weighing what I got to do to okay, I got the scratch that was that whole character in it. And it worked and it was all and in many ways, you know, like and Ted, his part of it was he was kind of oblivious to the fact that this guy might not be thrilled at what you're asking him to do. You know, Like Ted always kind of had that kind of what he was oblivious to like what he's not happy. Look at I paid my money, you know, and never kind of never that second look like you know, you eyeball on me, you know, kind of that number. And so ye know that that worked, Like he said years that run was was great. But I think that we all knew, right at some point he's not going to be able to take it anymore. At some point it's gonna break. At some point he's gonna snap. And God, I hope he gives it to him. I just hope, like all of that all built up, that you just treated me like filth and dirt and your slave and you know, and that I'm gonna do anything you want me to do. And he's just gonna he's gonna take care of it. And that's what we're all waiting for. So you know that that was That was that whole gimmick.
Speaker 3: I loved it and I loved it. I loved their entire storyline.
Speaker 1: It's like in my brain, I'm not going to compare him, but they're my brain and remind me of Paul Paul Bear and Taker.
Speaker 3: We're together for so long.
Speaker 1: When Paul Bear eventually turned on Taker, of this big moment and same thing here with Virgil and the Million Dollar Man. But the World Championship match, obviously, Holk Cogan wins the belt against Sartin Slaughter in the main event. Hogan bleeds and after the match, if you're watching, I think on coliseum video that Hogan and me and Jean are walking backstage to go into Hogan's locker room to have some champagne to celebrate. Sarten Slaughter is waiting there with a fireball and throws a fireball in Holte Cogan's face. So it's WrestleMania. Hogan must pose. Hogan must fireball as well. Though, how was the demeanor thinking, all right, we're going back to Hogan. Was there a maybe an idea of maybe we should try something else? We tried Warrior, we had Macho Man, we got going back to Hogan, like maybe we should try something different this time.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, so where were they going to go?
Speaker 3: I think that's the problem, Like, yeah, that's the problem there too.
Speaker 2: Whoever's thinking, you know, we need somebody that we need something else here, Well, they're thinking, okay, what.
Speaker 3: You got right?
Speaker 2: And the multi Yeah, and the Holkster was the best thing that they had. And uh, and Terry knew it, you know, like Terry always you know, you talk about like Brandy know you They're gonna need me. How many times did Hulklgan think that and be absolutely.
Speaker 3: Right every time? Every time?
Speaker 2: Right? So sure? Would we love to have would people have liked to have seen maybe the Ultimate Warrior be completely different and get the business and like doing it and and uh uh you know, just be the answer which could have been possible, but he just didn't. And it would the Hulkster answered every time and kept him floating, kept it going for better or worse whatever they thought. But everybody what there was no other better alternative. So those who may have been doubters at the time are thinking, like, oh my god, here we go again. Well what else we got here? And we're struggling and things aren't good, and we've got we've got to go with the Homester.
Speaker 3: Oh again, I.
Speaker 1: Understand from a business standpoint why you did this, because you just said all the good points. Well, this guy's sound the most merched. This guy is the most noticeable character we have. Let's put him back on all the post is. Let's make sure we keep promoting this guy because he's the most recognizable athlete we have in our company. So it's a good way to do it, even if you don't see the downfall a little bit without having to build other people. It still works out for Hogan, and they continue the Sardern slaughter of Hogan storyline into some Summer Slam ninety one as well, and that does not end well for Ultimate Warrior, which we've done a whole podcast about. Now we're kind of getting to the end of this podcast, but let me point out something to you. We did it a wrest many of five podcasts about this four team matches on this card, fourteen matches.
Speaker 3: Now I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Plow through the other ones, and I want you to kind of tell me do you think they should have been on the card?
Speaker 3: Did it needed to be on the card?
Speaker 2: So we'll say even before you you listed off, I will say that this lineup, to me was better than five. Yeah when they had better Yeah. So yeah, a lot a lot of matches, but better matchups.
Speaker 3: Agreed. I do agree.
Speaker 1: I think it's because the quality of the talent and the quality of the character for arrestmany seven has better characters and gimmicks than five. Five are still a little in the smoke philed Arenas. We're still like just grizzled men wearing red tights.
Speaker 2: Like here, we got a lot more yeah, and a lot of eyebrow for some of the really yeah, So go ahead.
Speaker 3: So we have the second match, Texas Tornado versus Dino Bravo.
Speaker 2: Why for the why but not as far as you know, carry's the They're both great trying to carry, they're trying to put over and Dino, you know, Dino could get it done out there. I like Dino, and uh he was you know, it's the whole thing with the count of the chest and the you know. So that was that to me, that was a that was a good matchup.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's weird about him too is he was the world's strongest man. And then I know where they're like, well, we can't have to be the world's strongest man. You know, Hogan's pretty strong too. You're the strongest man in Canada, all right, you can be the strongest man in Canada, not.
Speaker 3: The world, not the world.
Speaker 2: British stop bullets. She's Louise Man shot and.
Speaker 1: I love a bad shot again. British Bulldog defeated the Warlord. These two wrestled five times in ninete tenny one. There are five pay per views in ninety one. They fight on all of them if you're counting the Royal Roumbull thirty Men match. Why again, I love Warlord, I love Bulldog. Can't you figure out another combo of matches?
Speaker 2: Well? No, I guess at the time though, And they you know, that's that's another like Warlord. You know, Vince he was as far as how he was put together, it was just kind of the perfect Vince character. But he just being like he was, he just couldn't move like you know that, it just couldn't be helped. You mean, he couldn't do a lot of things just because he was so huge. It's just like how much war can you blow him up? You know? It was and and and restricted his ability to do a lot. So I never really enjoyed those matches with him because of that. It just it was he was just too much. But as far as what you know, Vince was was going to sculpt his perfect you know, guy who wants to see in the ring, Warlord was all all over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I remember the story. I missed a perfect hey can you help me here? And the Needle bounces on. I think I think you're full, you know.
Speaker 2: And and the Bulldogs. I think he's at his peak there too. I mean he's yeah, it's great, but I just it kind of restricted what you could do in there, so it was kind of kind of a lumbering match, you know. So, But like I said, better matchups than what we saw.
Speaker 3: The five million, a million times better. Like I would rather watch seven any day of the week than have to watch five.
Speaker 1: And someone might be saying, how dare you and I'm like, well, sorry, uh tenru and how defeat Demolition? This is Demolition's final match as a team. This is the end of Demolition. We did a whole podcast on Demolition an hour and a half.
Speaker 3: Check it out.
Speaker 1: But boy, it's so sad to see that this is the end where they're losing to international talents that are clearly trying to create a business relationship with a w w E. But you sacrifice the team that was so good and you just allow them to fizzle out like this. What are your thoughts on the final match of Demolition?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I think that there was an I don't remember the timeline of like the Road Warriors or Legion of Doom coming in and.
Speaker 3: The summer of nineteen ninety, summer of nineteen nineties when LD comes in.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I think that there was kind of this feeling feeling that they couldn't it wasn't room for both. You know, I don't know, but that didn't make any sense to me because I thought they were very distinctly different tags and what better way than to keep them having you know, crossing paths. So yeah, it didn't make make a whole lot of sense to me. There was some stuff going on behind the scenes there. And but I think that you know, even though they would be involved in the company, you know, very especially, I don't think they really got open that part of it because I think they both realized what a what a good duel they were, And so yeah, I didn't I didn't get it. I still don't, because they were they were traumatous, you know. I put them absolutely the top five tag teams.
Speaker 3: All time, same we did.
Speaker 1: We did a poll on the primetime with sham Muney YouTube channel asking who the top tag teams of all times the Golden Era, and we put up some options, and Demolition one clear as day because of just their dominance throughout the Golden Era of wrestling. Legion to Doom, though, defeated Power and Glory in fifty nine seconds. Paul Roman and Hercules were both injured at the time, so that's why this match goes very quickly, so they could just get them on the card and then you know, get them off the card. Earthquake defeated Greg the Hammer Valentine and three minutes and fourteen seconds.
Speaker 2: That's good. I'm glad it was three minutes and fourteen seconds. Would have been would have been interminable if it was five minutes and fourteen.
Speaker 3: Seconds, well, if it was three minutes and fifteen seconds, you know.
Speaker 1: Jeez, Louise man, I got I love all these characters, don't send Hey, I love all these characters. The Mounti defeated Tita Santana in one minute and twenty one seconds.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then the last match really that we didn't talk about so far, Internet Continent old title Mister Perfect versus The Big boss Man. During an interview with Mister Perfect, Bobby Hainten brings up Rodney Kitten and uh the.
Speaker 3: Whole police beat down.
Speaker 2: Of him video. I remember you're standing there.
Speaker 3: I don't care you're finding a police officer character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, could you see how uncomfortable I was. I don't know if it showed through, because I'm a pretty good stoneface, but I remember it's going like Jesus, Okay, all right, you didn't just say that early, because even even dead that was like, what that's one of them? Like why I understand, you know, the topical and all this stuff.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it was only a few days before this too, very, which is crazy. It's not like it happened like three months ago. This is this happened like three days ago before WrestleMania and then here.
Speaker 2: Yeah too still and maybe it was always going to be too so, but it was too soon.
Speaker 1: Like you have Rocky, you know, Rocky sympathize the storyline, you have Desert Storm, you have Rodney King, you know, and there's Bob Cross is pulling out like there's a lot of hm. I even starting slat, I said, Willie Nelson didn't want to be his friend anymore because he sang the opening of this WrestleMania as well, and he's so skinny. Willy Nelson, by the way, he's so skinny. He's wearing a child's foam wrestling belt around his waist. That's how Skinny Willie Nelson was singing at the beginning of this WrestleMania. So but all in all, uh, you know, we did whole podcast and missed a perfect in Big boss Man when we took a deep dive into both of their careers in this matchup. So Big boss Man defeats perfect by d Q, doesn't win the Intercontinental title, but at least Big Boss Man's mother is now vindicated because the Headen family has been making fun of her for about six months now.
Speaker 3: Those assholes, those dirty, dirty assholes. But how dare you? How dare you? We have mothers themself.
Speaker 1: Rodney King doesn't storm too much, but I gotta say Rustamania seven, when I thought about rewatching it and going back, I thought, oh boy, And then after watching it, damn, this is good. Like all the matches are good, even the ones I mentioned in like saying, oh why is this here? Well, it's here because they're all good wrestlers and all good characters. So what were your thoughts before we wrap this up on Rustlmingia seven.
Speaker 2: I say, overall, I think it was a really good, really good show. A lot of controversy, you know, it'll be argued forever about you know what, what what went on, what was happening in the world at the time. But nonetheless, it was memorable for lots and lots of reasons. And I thought, considering, man, what to get there two for that event and you know, moving the venue and everything else like that. It was a hell of a hell of a wrestle media and it's up there. I think it's it was one one of the best at the time. And uh yeah, so overall and a lot of matches, But I didn't have a real big problem with that because it felt like you just said, the guys that stepped into the ring that day, we're definitely had earned their right to be there. And so yes, overall, thumbs up good.
Speaker 1: And then before we wrap this up, we have recently asked on the Prime Time with Sean Mooney Instagram at Real Sean Mooney. That's where you can follow us there for all stories and little shorts and more fun little memories of Sean Mooney. I asked this morning, you got any questions for Sean Mooney And we're about to wrap up, so we're gonna throw in three right now from.
Speaker 3: Edgar Edgar.
Speaker 2: On this, did you.
Speaker 1: I believe I am actually your agent, so I did check with myself and I have said, yes, we can do this.
Speaker 3: These are easy. Don't worry. We're doing some heavy math here, Edgar, Dad, Jay and R.
Speaker 1: Was it supposed to be Savage versus Warrior for the title instead having Hogan fight Chic Tugboat?
Speaker 2: Well? Interesting there, Well, there were certainly discussions about that, and you know, would that have been horrible considering it's going to be tugboat versus h Chic tugboat on that one? Okay, but but it didn't happen. Yeah, there was absolutely there was a discussion about that, so sure, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I imagine Savage Warrior from the title instead of wh that'd be interesting in stead of careers Championship on the line. I love that question from Readster twenty twenty five. Is it true the slow ticket sales for the reason the venue is moved? Now we kind of discussed that earlier, but in your personal opinion, like your re ill opinion, was it ticket sales or was it safety?
Speaker 2: I think it was more ticket sales. Yeah, if they would have let's say that that first week they sold fifty thousand tickets, they would have figured out a way to secure that place. If you're going to sell one hundred, you know we're going to sell this place out, You're going to figure out a way to do it. But as I did mention security was a big concern, it was they didn't. All it would take is one crazy to make a disastrous so that was a big concern. But I think the overall factor in this is the panic of after two weeks, you got you know, ten thousand seats sold, legit, you got problems, So there you go.
Speaker 1: And then hearts buy Spirit Dreams. One asked the same exact question, so they just want to know about the ticket sales. But thank you for your quest as well, and we'll be doing this more often allowing you to be part of the Golden Era with Sean Mooney podcast because we have so many in the can already, so some of these won't have questions on them. But don't you worry, folks, We'll get you in. Remember at Real Sean Mooney, it's the prime time with Sean Money Network, Instagram account, it's a live and well, Facebook's alive, TikTok's alive. We are here for you and thanks again for listening to us talk about this amazing event. I'm see fall he Shaw Mooney, have a wonderful day and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 3: Bye bye.
Speaker 2: It's the Golden Age. I'll tell you an I so fantasy Stafan Loue fal history, don the Golden Tell mejuy