Speaker 1: Happy Friday, everybody. We made it to the end of the week. It is Kentucky and this morning News Coffee and Company with your hero News Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee. That's me the company man John all On alongside today. And when it comes to the explosion yesterday in Jeffersonville, there's still a lot that we don't know. In fact, I don't think we really know much of anything as far as the actual cause of that, and typically that's going to take some time. I mean, I could be wrong, but I would expect that even if there is maybe something seemingly obvious, maybe very obvious, there's still a process. I would imagine that you don't come out and give any kind of an official statement or release as far as what you know caused it with less than a twenty four hour and within less than twenty four hours, so there certainly will be there'll certainly be some investigation going I mean, there is, there's an investigation going on right now. However, to know that there was a house that exploded in twenty nineteen that actually back up to the house that exploded on Wednesday evening, I mean, it's just going to be hard for a lot of people to assume that this is some type of coincidence because it was a gas leak that caused the explosion in twenty nineteen. It ended up killing a man by the name of Billy Phillips. His wife was injured. Also, a neighbor was injured in that situation. So Centerpoint Energy says no gas leaks have been found on their system, but they're still doing some surveys and looking into it as you could expect. But gas service in the meantime in that area has been shut off as a precaution, which makes total sense. And I mean if you live in that area and this has now happened twice, I mean I'd be scared to death. I mean, I don't know how you wouldn't be. So. Jeffersonville Police they did say that initial findings showed no evidence of malicious intent, but investigators they're urging the public not to speculate on the cause, warning that rumors could be could be harmful and even slanderous, as as they say here in their release. So I mean people are going to speculate, and I think honestly, when you encourage somebody not to speculate, it might it might interest them in doing exactly that speculating, because I don't think it's unusual to speculate about anything. I think speculation is a normal thing in a.
Speaker 2: Lot of ways.
Speaker 1: But it also, you know, don't jump to conclusions that this was caused by a gas leak, just like you know, just like the one that happened in twenty nineteen that took somebody's life. I mean, it's not even I don't even think it's speculation. It's just I think a safe assumption in the eyes of most that's that's what caused it. But again there's no there's no real proof just yet, but I will certainly be following to see what the outcome is here, because look, there's no there's nothing that's going to change what happened. And five people, thankfully or not, are not in life threatening situations. They've not these injuries are believed to be things they're going to recover from, but still just an awful and scary situation. And figuring out what in fact caused it, although I think a lot of us probably have a safe guess as to what it is, we will find out at some point. All right, So you've got an update coming your way here in just a moment of traffic and weather. But what I'd like to do for you is sort of set the table for the rest of the way. A couple of stories regarding LMPD officers that I want to get to. One of them is now a former officer, but two different stories. One of a former officer who is who has been he's been accused of violating policy in twenty thirteen by the Inspector General. And of course this is an officer who also resigned recently because of violating.
Speaker 2: A protective order.
Speaker 1: And then there's another story about an officer who won't be charged for an accident that took place while on duty that unfortunately casts somebody their life, so we'll.
Speaker 2: Get into that.
Speaker 1: Also, YouTube youtwoe, of course a very popular platform, and they are now going to utilize AI to help try to determine your age. And when it comes to age, they also might soon start checking your IDs, meaning you may have to show and an identification upload a picture of it in order to I guess be able to watch certain things, which to me that just sounds like a pain in the ass, to be honest with you, a hassle. But also I can see why that may be needed, because I mean, YouTube's got a lot of content on there, and clearly it's not anything graphic to the extent of you know, like pornography or anything like that. But I mean I say this here and there, and it's just because I'd never really thought about it until my kids got a little bit older.
Speaker 2: But when you just give them the.
Speaker 1: Tablet and they end up on YouTube, you know, they could stumble upon anything and just be exposed to something that you know could could could be bad for them in the long run. And that just didn't exist whenever, I mean us finding something to watch as far as content that we weren't supposed to, you know, that was like standing up past. I mean, I remember, this is embarrassing to say, but it's just the truth. I remember Howard Stearn's radio show used to be on TV on E the Entertainment Channel, and like I remember watching it because like it was entertaining, but like also I knew I wasn't supposed to be watching that at my age, and I would always be worried, like is my mom going to come in here and see that I'm watching this and tell me.
Speaker 2: Hey, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: So you know now with the Internet, with the digital world and tablet's devices, all that stuff. Phones even I mean, they could accidentally stumble upon something that you would not want them to see.
Speaker 2: So I get it.
Speaker 1: But it also I think would be a real issue as far as just the overall interaction and engagement that YouTube the platform gets, because certain people will realize I can get what I need elsewhere other than just YouTube, So I'm gonna go there. So anyways, we'll talk about that in a lot more. Don't forget Mayor Greenberg going to join us at eight o'clock this morning, so stick around for that and stick around for us. We're with you for the next roughly three hours here on news radio eight forty e WHS. We are rocket and rolling here on a Friday morning at is Kentucky in this morning news on news Radio forty whas Coffee and Company Nick Coffee. That's me the company man John on alongside.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: We've got the full team here. So we now know that an an LMPD officer is not going to be facing criminal charges and a fatal crash that took place this was earlier this year, and again criminal charges are not going to be filed despite dash cam evidence that shows this officer was speeding and did not have her lights on or sirens activated. And the officer is Alissa Bagel, I believe that's how you say her name. But a grand jury declined to indict this officer on second degree manslaughter charges, issuing a no true bill, meaning they found insufvision evidence to actually.
Speaker 2: Pursue these charges.
Speaker 1: So this crash was again fatal, and it took place at the beginning of April April second. It was at Fern Valley and Jeanine Drive, and she was responding to assist EMS, but was driving without the emergency or emergency lights or sirens on and reportedly was weaving through traffic at a high speed, which again she was in pursuit to help EMS, and she again just did not have her sirens on or her lights.
Speaker 2: So just imagine.
Speaker 1: An officer, and we've all seen it, where an officer is responding to a situation at a high rate of speed and everybody's getting out of the way. Well one of those, in fact, the biggest indicator for you to know to get out of the way are those two things, the sirens and the lights, and when they're not activated, and you know, visually, yeah, you can see that's a cop You would be you'd be less surprised to see a cop car driving like that than any other car. But then you'd also have a level of surprise. Why don't they have their lights on? Why don't they have the sirens on? And look, sometimes that can just be a mistake. Humans make mistakes. It's unfortunate this mistake costs somebody of their life because sixty one year old Charles brisco would I guess he was turning onto Fern Valley when his vehicle was struck by the officer's cruiser and he died on the scene. This officer's been on an administrative leave while LMPD continues their own internal investigation. And uh, you know, just an awful situation all the way around. And in a statement, LMP did acknowledge that the officer was speeding and did not you know, they confirmed what what was what was alleged, which is that there were no active emergency you know, lights and sirens and whatnot. And uh again they cited that the ongoing nature of that investigation, uh as the reason why they have with with with they've were they're still withholding more as far as just I guess comments maybe there's you know, clearly they're doing their investigation on there, and as far as why those things were not were not turned on, but I mean, I think that is truly a understandable situation. It's it's tragic that an officer made a mistake while on the job that that mistake ended up costing somebody their life. But clearly knowing, I think the intent was to get somewhere, to try to try to help somebody, because that's what they do, that's what they sign up for. This isn't this is a law enforcement officer, So just to you know, tragic situation all the way around, and you know, I feel for everybody involved here, not only obviously the family of Charles Brisco, but this officer. I mean, this is I mean, clearly just doing your job. And again, maybe we'll find out why the lights weren't on and the sirens weren't activated, but it's likely just a mistake. And look, people make mistakes that end up involving criminal charges that cost them their lives. However, this is somebody that is out here risking their life. So it's a it's a tough situation all the way around. All right, we've got another traffic update coming your way. Bobby Ellis will tell us how the roadways are looking on a Friday morning. Also Matt Melosovich with the latest on the forecast, and scottig Jerald's back with us for.
Speaker 2: Another sports update.
Speaker 1: As we roll along here, it is Kentucky and this morning News Coffee and Company with you on News Radio eight forty whas. That's right, A fresh servi is coming your way here on news Radio eight forty whas. It is Kentucky and his Morning News Coffee and Company. I'm Nick Coffee. Thank you very much, John Shannon, We've got John Allen alongside, and Scott Fitzgerald just exited studio. Is this studio A it is right, okay, just making sure the showcase studio there we go. Yeah, We've got this is This is when I really feel like I've elevated in this world of broadcasting, because this is the first time ever that I've been been able to do a live show every day and have a window. And thankfully, because it's very early in the morning and we are here at four Street Live, there's not much distractions to look at.
Speaker 2: I always worried about.
Speaker 1: I'd like to have some because really everywhere I've been it's been a cave essentially, which is probably good as far as distractions, But when it comes to having a window, like if we were in I think it's WGN. They may not have it set up anymore. But in downtown Chicago, I can't think of the name Michigan Avenue I believe, which of course is the heart of downtown Chicago, at least in my eyes, they have their setup like on the corner of Michigan in one of those streets, and like the foot traffic in Chicago, of all places is it's one of the biggest cities.
Speaker 2: In the world.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I would be able to do a show without just getting distracted by, you know, everybody, not even people trying to distract me, but it would just be easy to just kind of get lost looking out that window and taking in the amount of people and who knows what you see down there. So again, I'm happy to have the window, but also probably a good thing that there's not any distractions here for me. But the reason I mentioned Scott is because we were talking about the fitness test and making a return in schools and whatnot, and he'd mentioned yesterday that, you know, he was never able to accomplish it because he was a chubby little kid at that time, and I oftentimes, in fact, i'd forgotten completely Scott Fitzgerald lost one hundred pounds. And I used to see Scott pretty regularly, I mean every day really, whenever I was doing Mornings on set ninety and he was he was still here in the Mornings with with Tony Cruz. But at that time, you know, I started at seven, they started at five, and I usually just stayed in studio. He stayed in studio, so I may run into him before the show and chat briefly, but I didn't see him a whole lot. And then once COVID happened, I mean I never saw Scott. I think I saw him and we would work derby together, and uh, it just it led me to now that I see him every day. I see this man who looks, you know, healthy as can be, and he's lost a hundred pounds, and I like, that's that's insane to lose one hundred pounds. And then I mean, and it's insane in a really, really good way, I guess it's the same for you, John, Like did you? Because I feel like anybody who if you if you saw somebody consistently every day for many, many, many years and over time they dropped one hundred pounds, I feel like it would take a long time for you to get used to looking at someone that is quite frankly unrecognizable.
Speaker 2: It was crazy. I never knew Scott before that makes seen pounds, so it'd be weird to see what he looked like before.
Speaker 1: Then, I tell you what that reminds me of just what the COVID era, if you will, the pandemic that completely threw me off with every bit of perception of time, because I now think of things like before.
Speaker 2: COVID, pre and post COVID. Yeah, like pre.
Speaker 1: COVID, like twenty nineteen, twenty eighteen. I now think, yes, a few years back. No, it was seven eight years back, depending upon how long we're going. And I don't know if I can just chalk that up as COVID made time kind of stand still and really just throw us off as far as just everything. It was something that you know you will only experience once in one hundred years, and we experienced it, and it was it was wild and it sucked in every way, and looking back on it, let's be real, even if some people don't want to admit it, some of what was done was ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I mean it just was.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, it makes total sense that you would have never worked with Scott because I mean, you didn't become a full time employee here until.
Speaker 2: Until twenty twenty one. Yeah, yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Anyhow, Yeah, I just I don't give him props enough for that, because you know, that's a big accomplishment and it speaks to just an ability to to dedicate yourself to something and stick with it. Because most people who who in fact lose a lot of weight, eventually they'll they'll ease up and put some weight back on, or maybe they'll put all of it back on. Because it's and I'm not, I'm no expert by any means. I've I've made some some some jumps and some uh some improvement here and there, and then I put weight back on. I mean, I'm not, I'm not obese by any means. I'm I'm I'm I'm pretty much where I want to be as far as weight. But I do know that it's it's if you're gonna try to really stick with it. It's a lifestyle change. It's not a fad diet. It's not it's not you know, I'll just I'll just do that, make this minor change and everything will be better. No, you have to make a lifestyle change. And he was able to do that, and he's been able to stick with it, and uh, I just I I admire that because losing one hundred pounds and doing it just by being self disciplined and holding yourself accountable, it's pretty bad ass, to be honest with you. So congratulations to Scott.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: He hasn't lost any weight recently, but I totally forgot that this guy used to be one hundred pounds heavier, and you know now he's not so good for him now it makes me want to be more self disciplined and watch what I eat.
Speaker 2: So thank you, Scott.
Speaker 1: All Right, we've got a quick time out coming your way, but you'll get caught up on how the roadways are looking this morning. Bobby Ellis will get us updated on that. We've got weather coming your way with Matt Melosovich, and we've got a warning which I'm glad I saw this morning today as I'm about to catch a flight tomorrow to go to Florida for vacation. But the TSA has a new warning about what you should not be doing at airports. We'll talk about that next. Right here on there's Radio Way forty whas. TSA has issued cybersecurity warnings for those traveling this summer. And this is one of those things that I would have never really even thought about, but totally makes sense. And it's consecutive's morning news here on news Radio Ate forty whas Nick Coffee with you. And this issue is about public Wi Fi public USB charging stations, So there are a few different risks here. One is juice jacking. They are warning travelers not to plug phones directly into public USB ports at airports, hotels, or cafes because there's a risk that those ports could end up with your device getting some malicious I guess malicious malware if that's the thing. I don't think I made that word up, But anyways, they could put something on those on your devices that could secretly access and steal your data and information. So they did say that these are rare, but they do recommend you bring your own charging brick or portable battery and just not use those public ports. I guess there's been I mean, gosh, just the thought of how they could, you know, meeting the hackers, the scammers, how they could do this. I mean, there could be like a criminal underworld of people traveling to airports and plugging something into those devices and little do we know what they're plugging in is making that an infectious port. So yeah, instead of using and by the way, they don't give you any juice anyway, Like I better off, just like you, if you're using your phone and you have it plugged into a public port at an airport, I feel like your battery is still gonna drain. I guess it's better than you know, using it without any juice, which I've become Like I get so irritated when I have my phone plugged into something and it's so clearly not much of a much of a charge. I mean, like if you plug your if you plug your phone into the USB port at that's in your hotel room, connected to your your lamp in between the beds or next to the bed, I mean it can sit there and be I've had this happen. Let's say my phone's on like thirty percent. I got it plugged in overnight on that USB. I wake up six seven hours later, it's gone from like twenty five to thirty percent to sixty percent. Like it just doesn't do much of anything. So always plug it into the wall. They won't tell you that, but that's where you're actually going to get some real, real juice. But anyways, Yeah, you can buy a charging brick at the airport through there for like what fifty bucks. I'm exaggerating, but anything at an airport is just robbery. Also, they say do not use free airport Wi Fi, especially if you're shopping online or entertaining any kind of sensitive info, which often people are used are are pulling up sensitive info on their devices because a lot of people have their information and even their airline ticket on their on their phone. So high risk locations are airports, hotels, rideshare hubs, cafes, and when it comes to the United States, LA, New York City, Portland, Miami, and Seattle are the I guess the hotspots for you plugging your phone in or using public Wi Fi and it being a.
Speaker 2: Real regret after the fact.
Speaker 1: Also, that's one of those things where I bet if people when people get their information compromised and it ends up in identity theft and all that. Would you even be able to trace it to it happening here? You never know, but this is what I wouldn't have expected. But it makes total sense, so be advised. All right, we've got another sports update coming your way with Scott Fitzgerald, but first let's get to an update on the roadways. Bobby Ellis will getus caught up on how traffic's looking this morning, and Matt Melosavitch will tell us what we're in for as far as the Friday forecast
Speaker 2: Right here on News Radio eight forty whas