Speaker 1: Adventist Radio London inspiration for the song.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'm down at frog More Care and Wellbeing Center. This is the day center that my mum actually goes to. So I'm kind of sitting here with the manager.
Speaker 1: He has kind of given up their.
Speaker 2: Time away from the activities for today just to tell us a little bit about what she does and the center that has been a real support to me and my mum.
Speaker 1: So Hi, Karen.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm Karen Jackson.
Speaker 4: I'm the center manager at Frogmore. We are a day center mainly for dementia clients. I would say probably about ninety five percent, and our aim is to just give our clients a lovely day in a safe environment, lots of fun, lots of laughter, a lovely meal, and give the cars families some respite.
Speaker 5: Cool.
Speaker 1: And how long has the sense have been open?
Speaker 4: We will have been open two years in November.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, because I kind of remember when, because I know my mum had her diagnosis just before COVID hit, so a lot of things had kind of shut down and there wasn't much available for things to do at but then things opened back up again. This was one of the first places that I was like, oh, there is this center reopening, and I thought, oh, this looks really cool. And I remember coming down here and kind of having a look around and thinking, oh, this looks like a quine, a cool place. Yeah, and my mum's been coming here ever since, which actually is quite a long time. So tell a little bit about yourself and your background and how you got into this kind of work.
Speaker 4: I started about seventeen years ago. I decided to have a career change. Started as a support worker, enjoyed it so much that I decided to go up the ladder, if you want to call it that, and obviously now the manager. It's the best job I can honestly say that I've ever had. It's so fulfilling and rewarding, and our aim is just to really make their lives lovely.
Speaker 1: And he said he had a career change.
Speaker 2: What kind of drew you to support work in terms of working, you know, in a caring environment.
Speaker 3: I think it was because I've.
Speaker 4: Always looked after my sisters, and I've always looked after my nan and granddad, so I was always caring. Yeah, but it was just I saw the advert and just so I don't know why, but I've really got to go for that, okay, And I don't know, it's just like.
Speaker 5: A sign.
Speaker 1: And had you had in.
Speaker 2: Much experience or connections with dementia previous to that?
Speaker 3: Not one bit, okay, No, not one bit at all.
Speaker 4: But the training that we received is next to none and it gives you so much confidence to deal with any situation, which is valuable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I would say it takes a real special person to work with a dementia client. I would say, I mean, I'm saying that for my own experience, the town of challenges that I've found not knowing, you know, you come across something and they're not know ever, So what would you say would be the qualities to kind of do the job that you do.
Speaker 4: I think you've got to have a care in nature. You've got to be very patient and just want to enrich the lives of our clients. And I can honestly say that all my staff do that. Yeah, we are here. One hundred percent of the clients. We ask them what they would like to do. If somebody might want to do a particular activity, if we would do that, and then we would work on from there. We've got different activities that people like, so we might split the group and do different things.
Speaker 3: So we are catering always for everyone.
Speaker 4: We've got people that don't like to join in but like to watch other people joining in, and that's absolutely fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel like our clients have made friends, which is really lovely. Yeah, and I think we do provide a need in the community.
Speaker 2: Okay, so tell me a little bit about Tell me what a day at a center looks like.
Speaker 1: Now, I say that I bring my mum.
Speaker 2: My mum comes here at least two or three days a week, so and I know you obviously the center as full in terms of how many service users you have. So tell me what an average day kind of looks like. I mean, you've sort of said you want to provide activities, have fun, you know, provide the clients with a good day.
Speaker 1: So what does that look like?
Speaker 3: Well, starts off in the mornings.
Speaker 4: We have some people coming in by families, some people come in by taxi, and some people arrive on the bus. So as people come in, we sit in chat with them, We make them tea, kate, coffee, whatever they would like. Hot chocolate is a firm favorite. Even your mum likes a hot chocolate. And we start the day sort of quite low key until everybody gets in. Then we ask them what activities they would like to do, as I said.
Speaker 3: And we go from there. They are.
Speaker 4: Just completely able to do what they want to do.
Speaker 3: There's no.
Speaker 4: Nothing that they can't do right. Yeah, they're in a safe environment. They can just do whatever makes them happy. Then lunchtime, obviously they have a home cooked meal by a lovely cook Marilyn and them. Afterwards they have teas, coffees and sometimes I like to play bingo, sometimes croocket. We've got lots of different activities and they can choose and we usually go with them. Majority Then it's home time and we get them ready for going home and they've had a good day and where you look forward to seeing them again.
Speaker 3: And it's become like a family.
Speaker 4: Definitely to the staff, they feel like our family, and that's how we treat them. We just actually, you just get to love everyone. It's so love. It's such a love. It's the best job I've ever had in my love. It's not a job. It's not a job, it's a vocatient.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The Sexy says, you kind of got a mixture of men women and how does that what does that kind of look like.
Speaker 1: I mean, is it mainly women, mainly men half and half.
Speaker 4: Or it used to be I'd say about fifteen years ago mainly women to quite a high degree, like there'd be one man. Now it's a good half and half. We've got a lot of men. And we do find that they can and become quite competitive on certain days with the games, and they will request to do boys against girls and they make up their own team names, which is fantastic, and we all do have a good laugh about that. It's lovely. It's just lovely to see them interacting with each other.
Speaker 3: It's wonderful.
Speaker 2: What are some of the sort of like the highlights that you've had working I guess in the care industry, but also here at the center and then sort of on the flip side. What have been some of the challenges because I can imagine, I mean, you said it's a vacation, it's not the job.
Speaker 1: Recording. You know, what's the highlights for you?
Speaker 4: I think the highlights are sometimes when the clients first start to come, they might not the men. Weirdly enough, the men are more likely to resist attending than the women because I think the women in general are they've been more social throughout their lives with going to the school with the kids, and we chat more, don't we We're more sort of interactive with each other, whereas the men mainly have worked all their lives and they've got that sort of interaction. But to come into a center not as forward as the women. But when they come in and they say, oh hi, I'm here again, and when they go home and they said I've had a fantastic day, that's heart melting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's lovely, and I know sometimes you do. I get here to up Mum, and you know, Mum's generally in a good mood. She's often been singing, dancing, and whilst obviously from a dementia perspective, sometimes the memories aren't there, I still know that she's had a good day. She might not be able to tell me exactly what she did all day because she can't really recall, but I know because she's in a good mood that she's generally had a good day. And I see the way she interacts with the team and everything else, so you know, and that's definitely heartwarming for me because I know whatever's happened that's been a good day for her and definitely, so what are some of the challenges on the flip side.
Speaker 4: I think some times we have challenges that might be missing the partner. And again this is usually the gentleman. They are conscious of time, worrying if they're ever going to be picked up, thinking that they might be staying overnight because they may think that they are in a home rather than a day center. But with lots of TLC and reassurance, we get through that to the stage where I have one gentleman that I have requested his wife to get a medication check for his anxiety, and he will about half two we close it three half two will come in and sit in the office with May and he will watch the cars go by because he knows she's coming soon. And that's absolutely fine, and that's a routine that he's got into.
Speaker 3: But up to that point he's fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just not letting go of that little last bit.
Speaker 3: But you know, you do get there in the end.
Speaker 2: So I guess with that you're kind of adapting to the needs. You adapted to every individual. We treat everybody as an individual. Yeah, so today is World Alzeimer's Day, and obviously September is World azim Month, and obviously dementia. There's a lot of kind of talk around dementia and which obviously we're doing this show, we obviously previously have this platform to be able to highlight it. The thing this year which what was an interesting one was time to Act on Dementia, Time to Act on Alzheimer's How would you interpret that, FEME and what would it mean to you and why do you think it's important?
Speaker 4: I think that a lot of time, people that are at the beginning of the dementia journey are missed and it progresses quite a lot, and then you're a crisis by the time you get any help. And I do think time is the most important thing once you start realizing there's little things that are going on to get a diagnosis, because obviously medication is an important part of we're not controlling it, but slowing it down a little, so give a the client person extra sort of quality time. So that is we find that we don't get people until there's been a breakdown, perhaps in the family, which is so sad because then everybody is affected and.
Speaker 3: You know families do break down because of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you think then there's a kind of a lot of kind of misconceptions and myths around dementias. I mean, I've sort of read that sometimes people think, you know, memory loss or some of the sort of unusual behaviors that you might start to see or present itself or just part of the aging process, which actually and that seems to kind of normalize it. But then as you said, they're probably the signs that something is going on.
Speaker 1: And I know from my own personal experience.
Speaker 2: I don't think I don't think I considered dementia at all, even though interesting enough, it kind of is in my mum's family and you know, of her sisters have sadly passed away from that, but I'd never really given any thought. I noticed there were some strange things going on, but it just didn't just didn't think. So it's interesting that you're saying that, actually people come to you quite late in the process maybe or in their journey. Is there anything when you think actually for you to say the things that we should be and if people could be looking out for to sort of say, okay, that's unusual or different.
Speaker 1: I mean, what kind of things should people be looking out for?
Speaker 4: Would you say I think that obviously as you get older, well you all will have a bit of memory loss. Well I hope that's okase anyway, So that's quite normal to get upstairs and forget what you've gone for and you know, put the kettle on, but forget to make the tea.
Speaker 3: That's all sort of getting older in general.
Speaker 4: But I think when you're in a situation where things might be getting to the point where they might be cooking and forget they've got a pot on the stove, or they might go out and not remember, get a little bit lost and you panic because they can't find their way home, that's when you need to start thinking, well, this isn't just a little bit of forgetfulness.
Speaker 3: This is becoming more regular.
Speaker 4: Also, even though they might forget things, they might start forgetting like people's names, who people are, or what it might have happened when you're talking about a situation, but probably remember what might have happened ten years ago or something. I think that's more of the science. Also, when they can sometimes present as getting agitated because they're not fully understanding what might be going on or said so overwhelming feeling. When a lot if they go to a party, they wouldn't be able to handle everything going on, because we do find here that Christmas. When we come back after Christmas, a lot of the clients are totally overwhelmed because they've been they've seen a lot of people, they've been to different places than they would normal normally.
Speaker 3: See that happened actually at Easter.
Speaker 4: Right, Okay, Father's Day, Mother's Day, because they've got everyone coming around perhaps together, and that's a big sign.
Speaker 2: Okay, interesting, I guess it's you know, that's the way we do shows like this because things like that, it's really important to talk about stuff because I guess in some ways, I mean, I mean, for my mom, I think there were things going on, and I think my mom was probably aware of what was going on. She has WISIDS. He worked as a nurse, so she's got a medical background. But I don't think she really said. She didn't say anything to us, and I think other people may have noticed. But because I wasn't living with her and I don't see her all the time, you.
Speaker 1: Notice little things.
Speaker 2: We don't put two in two together, and I don't think she said, but I think she was probably aware. And actually, when I reflect back, actually the signs were completely there, and I think, you know, how could I've missed them?
Speaker 1: But I had no awareness.
Speaker 2: So again it's really important to kind of, I suppose, educate yourself, which is why we're doing shows like this to kind of raise awareness and then to say, actually notice these things, you know, and kind of be aware of what's going on and actually just go and get things checked out. I think generally, sometimes people in their health, you recognize things are happening, and I get it, people are scared of going to the doctor and what have you. But as you said, early diagnosis is really important because things can be done, support can be put in place, because I know, I know sometimes I feel I might I've missed the boat on some things just to kind of get things done. But you know, here we are, and you know, days like today is important to say, actually, you know, it's a very sad disease that actually we're raising awareness to sort of say, actually, more work can be done, more.
Speaker 1: Support can be given, et cetera.
Speaker 2: So I mean, obviously you're supporting the service users that come here, how does the center also help the families? And I'm asking that question, and I'm going to speak for myself. I know how it helps the family. I've got an idea how it might help the families, But how do you think it helps? You know, the families manage and the challenges of caring with somebody with dementia.
Speaker 1: You know why is this essential?
Speaker 4: When we have new clients, we always talk to the families and.
Speaker 3: Explain that we are.
Speaker 4: Here for them at any point, for their for the partners, and for the family members, daughters, whoever cares, because we see a different side usually to the clients than they would at home. They have the dementia diagnosis twenty four to seven. We have it for a few hours a day. The break that they have is the only time that they can do shopping without worrying or going to appointments for their own health, because a lot of the time they are actually worn out and they can't even go to the doctors or appointments, So that obviously helps. We often have people in that get quite emotional and we get them in the office, give them a cuppa and say yeah, and you just say, come on, spill it all out, get it all out, get it all out, and let's talk through. And I had a lady a few weeks ago, and it was heartbreaking. She was so upset and when she and I gave her lots of different numbers and told her about respite because people think.
Speaker 3: Respite is getting rid of your loved ones, it is not.
Speaker 4: It is a chance for the care family member to have a break and it's essential for their well being because no.
Speaker 3: One thinks about the care and that is terrible.
Speaker 4: It's just terrible because you can't you burn out because you've got it constantly. So we explain that and often people will say, oh, no, I couldn't possibly do that, but they really do have to.
Speaker 3: They need that break, and.
Speaker 4: When they finally do do it, I do feel like they feel more refreshed and able to manage for the next couple of months.
Speaker 3: To get through because it a hard disease to live.
Speaker 4: With, for the care as family members as well as the actual person who's got it. And I was very happy because the lady that I spoke to a few weeks ago, she was so upset, and I spoke with her for about fifty minutes actually, and when she went home she was armed with everything that I'd given her, all the numbers, help lines, social services numbers and everything to ring and she came back and she had a big smile on her face and she said, thank you so much. I'm so happy. And I was just so happy because she'd come in thinking that her life was just in tatters and she turns it all round in a few phone calls and that just makes the difference.
Speaker 3: And we are here for everyone.
Speaker 4: I had a lady ring up on the land just saying would I be able to come. This lady had cancer, but she wanted her husband to have some respite. When I explained to her that it was obviously a dementia, she was very young, unfortunately very young, she didn't feel like it was for her, and I don't think it was for her either. But I spoke with her for a long time and afterwards I said to her, ring, if you want to chat, just ring May, and she goes, well, but I'm not going to come. I said, I don't care. You're in the community. If you want to chat, ring May, I'll have time for you, because it doesn't matter who's got what. We're all together, aren't we We're a community, so we should help each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's really that's really, that is really key, because I guess you know, sometimes you know somebody has gets a diagnosis, and whether that's a partner or for me it was my mum, it's a very it's quite a lonely road because you're suddenly faced with you know, you see it from a sort of the medical perspective, and then and once they kind of give you all of these bits and pieces, you're kind of on your own. I know I've been quite fortunate to be able to access different support things. I know I was supported by and over mind. I think that's how I heard about this center. But for many people, I know that doesn't necessarily happen. And I think you have to be quite very proactive to really go out there and find things.
Speaker 1: And I know I did a lot of research and what have you.
Speaker 2: But actually having someone to speak to who's got the experience the knowledge makes everything feel a little bit more manageable. So it's fantastic that you know your team is able to you know, able and willing to do that as well, because you know, sometimes you can call up people or call something and it feels very impersonal, it's very factual.
Speaker 3: We get cuddles and.
Speaker 1: They really do, they really do. I know there's been a few times i've come.
Speaker 2: Here, and I've clearly and it shows on my face that I've had a really stressful morning with my mum, and it's just like it's okay, Angela, leave her go home.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, even the first time I came here just as a kind of taste to day with my mum. You know, I remember the previous man she was here, she was just like, okay, she's here, now, I should be fine, go and do what you need to do. And again, you know that in itself is daunting because you're putting your loved one in the care of somewhere else, you don't know people, and you know, you know, coming from a faith background, you know, I pray. I pray for services. I pray for people that are going to be helpful for me and my mum. And I know I've been blessed by that, you know. So again, it's really reassuring to know that, yes, there are services who it feels like her home from home and lots of respects.
Speaker 1: So that's really fantastic to hear.
Speaker 2: So it's interesting you're saying, because you're saying about it being you know, part of the community. How important is it for community based support services to be there, and you've sort of said that there aren't many around, and I know I'm fortunate to be living in an area where there are some services, But why is that so important?
Speaker 4: I think the thing is, it's just we're a day center, so people will need other assistance, whether that be you know, like help at home or take a break when people come to your house and sit with them so you can do whatever you want. And I in this area, I'm not one hundred percent sure there's a lot of that around, which is.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it.
Speaker 4: Actually, yeah, we do get support from the community in other ways, like help with the center.
Speaker 3: We're very fortunate about that.
Speaker 4: We get companies that give up the staff for a day okay, yeah, to come and help us, like do it with the gardening or any mat which is lovely. But when it comes to the care inside, I just feel like there could be more.
Speaker 3: We are thinking of doing a evening when we can.
Speaker 4: Talk about dementia and make a bit of food and sit around informally have a little chat, and I think that will help quite a lot of people in the area.
Speaker 3: Also, we're thinking of having.
Speaker 4: A coffee morning where people can come in and just have a chat with staff just to see.
Speaker 3: How they are, how they're getting on, if.
Speaker 4: They need any assistance with anything, because it is alone, As you said, it is lonely, and if you've never dealt with anything like this before, you don't know where to start. It's quite a scary thing because you've already got somebody that you love that's got this horrible disease, and then on you're trying to find.
Speaker 3: The best support you can. Yeah, but it's really difficult.
Speaker 2: And often you feel like you're quite on your own as well. And I know I've joined, you know, I've managed to access support groups, you know, if there's a good one at my workplace, and a few others as well. You know, I can't always make them due to the times and stuff, but it's there's quite it's quite comforting to kind of sit around with people in some ways and share experiences. I just know that you're not alone and other people are having a really similar experience because as whilst everybody is very unique, there are so many similarities, which is just I mean that blows my mind a lot of the time because I think, wow, you know, mum has an obsession with folding tissues for instance, and tissues are a thing, you know, and just all these things and you realize you speak to people, but you.
Speaker 3: Also share twenty people that do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it used to be oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: I think I've come to accept it is just part of what it now.
Speaker 2: But you know, to recognize that, yeah, you're not the only person that's going through this, and then equally to be able to share the frustrations and the challenges and that can be you know, it's heartbreaking because you can completely relate, you know, in that level. So yeah, and I guess having something quite local to you as well, but you're not having to travel too far, you know, and it becomes familiar.
Speaker 1: It's local. What kind of things?
Speaker 2: So, I mean, have you seen the need for and I'm asking this question, I think I know the answer to this, the demand for support. Have you seen that increase? I mean, do you think dementia is not a new thing? But it seems to be. It appears to be on the rise, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if it's because it's an aging nation or.
Speaker 4: I think the thing is that I would say twenty thirty years ago it would be nan sitting in the corner. She's funny sometimes, you know, she's a bit And it was never diagnosed.
Speaker 3: Nothing was ever diagnosed, and.
Speaker 4: Now we've got a dementia sort of took off, didn't it, And we've got more information. They've done a lot of research into dementia, so there's a lot more sort of out there. And also with people working full time or part time. You know, when I was a kid, all families were together and you now you would look after you they went to work and this sort of thing. There was always a family member to help out. But now mainly we're all working longer, aren't they, because of you know, society in general. We're all all government, I'd like to say, so we're all working because we're living longer.
Speaker 3: So there's not that help at home. So you need the help from the community.
Speaker 1: So what kind of help do you think is then needed? Is said to you?
Speaker 2: What need to help from the communities, but from local communities or the governments or local councils, you know that can kind of improve the dementia care and also raising awareness. What do you think they could be doing more of?
Speaker 4: Well, I do think that we work with Hampshire County Council obviously, and they are really fantastic.
Speaker 3: We've got a good rapport with them.
Speaker 4: We help a lot of people and we are able to bring them anytime if we've got something that we need that might crop up, that we might need to get answers for, whether it be financial, all the different things that might pop up, and so that from that point of view we're blessed with that. I think there would it would be lovely. We have got in the area little groups around that are they do the singing dementia that is fantastic and a lot of our clients doill go there and singing seems to be a big thing in dementia, which is lovely. When you hear someone sing a whole song and they remember every single word, that is lovely. But there isn't little drop in places that would be quite nice perhaps for the actual carers to go to and perhaps with a little bit of assistance for the person with dementia so they can actually have a chat without worrying about the client.
Speaker 2: So definitely more kind of like you said, different centers, different activities than.
Speaker 1: What have you.
Speaker 4: But of course that's when the government comes into it, and that costs money, and I.
Speaker 3: Feel that the government puts the elderly last on the list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: I mean that's only my personal yeah, I mean, I mean care is not cheap just across the board. So you know, definitely, Actually, the funding aspect of it is definitely going to be a challenge because, as you said, it seems to be I mean, everything seems to be last on the list, but care in general, or support in general, seems to kind of not It appears not to be as important as it should be, you know, especially when you realize that people are getting older, and I think statistics will show that it's like wanting three people wanting three people may develop some sort of dementia.
Speaker 1: Or you know, living it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you know, and if this support isn't there, you kind of just because you kind of wonder what the future will be like if you know, a lot of a lot of support functions appear to be shutting down as well. You know, if you can't get the money, you can't afford to keep it running.
Speaker 1: So then what will happen? I have to wonder?
Speaker 2: So, I mean, how can people get involved with you know, involved with supporting dementia charities?
Speaker 1: Or organizations.
Speaker 4: Well, we are always happy to have a lovely person come in as a volunteer that is lovely to be able to give more one to ones with people. Yeah, if someone's got a particular hobby that they want to continue on a one to one basis, that we would love that. So we are looking for volunteers at the moment actually, but they are hard to come by because I don't know if people worry about coming in, but it would literally just be come in, have a nice day with the clients, do whatever they would like to do, and then they get friendly with them. The clients will be into trust them and yeah, it's it's difficult.
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 4: You can't really advertise, but we have got in age in sent Hampshire, we have got staff that do deal with that and at the moment actually we are dealing with Fleet Volunteer Services and we're hoping to go forward with that because that is invaluable help.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 3: Obviously, we have staff.
Speaker 4: For the as many people as we have in but to have extra people that can just add that little bit of sort of support for certain people that aren't perhaps interested in you know, the people that like to watch I might want to do something different, so that yeah, that is invaluable.
Speaker 2: Mm So sort of summing up and I appreciate because you've taken time out today, so maybe let you get back to joining the doing the crew out there. What kind of what would you say to somebody who is either living with dementia themselves, possibly we may have somebody listening there, or you know someone who's caring for somebody. What would your kind of advice be to them with terms of support or engaging or getting involved in something, Because again I guess it depends on where people are on their journeys that may determine possibly what's available to them, what they could access, etc. But what would you kind of say to them to try and do if they can.
Speaker 4: I think if you think you've got the beginnings of dementia, definitely perhaps if possible, just write down a few little things that you might think is the beginning of it and get help. Go to the GP. If you're living with someone in the same instant, do the same. Get the help from the GP because they refer you to a specialist that will do tests and then obviously medication.
Speaker 3: Can prolong the dementia improve it. But I would also.
Speaker 4: If someone's got dementia, don't take away their skills because I do hear. No, you can't do that, because you've got demensions that you can't do that. So there's always something that everyone can do, because taking away skills is, in my opinion, a slippery slope. So all right, they might not be able to cook, but they can wash up, they can dry up, they can hoover. We've got a lady here that insists of sweeping because that's what she used to do, so she wants to do it. We've got people, as you say about the tissue situation, where you have quite a lot of ladies that like to fold and one man that likes to fold the serviettes. Right, Yes, and this has become a morning job. Some people like to lay the tables. They're not unable to do anything, but a lot of people think, oh, they can't do anything now, Yes, it's just the more dangerous things they can't do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's actually kind of an interesting balance to get because I think, I know I've probably been guilty of I think I've been guilty of kind of maybe jumping in to do things that maybe my mom's not able to do as well.
Speaker 1: As she could do it, because sometimes it's not in the case if she can't do it.
Speaker 2: But sometimes you don't really think, oh, something should be done in a certain way. And I think getting that balance where you can just accept things as they are or how they're doing it, you might have to kind of go back in and sort something else that afterwards, but allowing them to still retain a level of independence and purpose.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's the word purpose, because everybody needs purpose.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very true because I think actually that's so true.
Speaker 1: I mean they're already.
Speaker 3: Human beings and we're all worthy of a life. Yeah, so I feel like, give them a job. Yeah, if they want to do it, they can.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's really that's really key, and I think that's probably that's one thing I've probably really learned to sort of say, I've got to be able to let some of that go and just be okay with it's not done perfectly.
Speaker 1: I mean, nobody's perfect.
Speaker 2: So but you know, sometimes you realize, you know, and for me, I know, it feels like roles are reversed. So the things that maybe my mum used to do and would tell me about, I'm not doing the same thing. But actually it's about having the happy medium because she doesn't want to lose.
Speaker 1: A lot of that.
Speaker 2: And I know my mom kind of fight some of that. She wants to she wants to be independent. Of course she does. Everybody does. She's an adult, you know, but your mum does work here. You know that, don't you.
Speaker 1: She's good, I know, and.
Speaker 3: She's absolutely fantastic.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: If someone is upset, her nursing experience jumps out and she's so loving talking to them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we just sort of watch something. Oh that is so sweet. Yeah, she's so caring. Yeah, she is absolutely lovely.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And as she say, you know, it's interesting, you know, And it's good for me to hear that because sometimes, as you say, you see a different side to the person that maybe family members or careers or care givers are not well.
Speaker 1: They don't necessarily see all of that.
Speaker 2: So it's good to kind of hear because I mean, sometimes there are days when I think, you know, I feel like I'm public enemy number one, and you know, there's obviously something else going on which may cause and there's obviously symptoms that present itself, but to kind of know that actually somebody is still seeing the person that I want to knew. Yeah, and those aspects of what somebody was like. So that's really encouraging to hear that it's not completely gone because you kind of you know, you know, at some point things will really change and yeah, maybe very different.
Speaker 1: So so yeah, this has been a fantastic conversation.
Speaker 2: I think you really appreciate your time today, and I really appreciate and I know I say this, I really appreciate the support that you know, the center has given my mom. I think the team is amazing, and not only for my mom, for me as well, because you know, like I said, I've come here a few times where clearly stressed, clearly had a really bad morning, but no, I can know that I can safely drop off Mum and.
Speaker 1: You know, turn around the day.
Speaker 2: And I think there's probably only been one instance where Mom she didn't feel like coming here today, which is very unusual because she might protest and she'll get here and she'll be fine, but you know, some days you don't want to do something. So so yeah, so if you've got any other final things to kind of share with our listeners, I would just like.
Speaker 6: To say it's all doable with respite and space to be yourself as a carer as well as being a care for the person in dementia. You need the break to continue to look after your loved ones and we and I'm sure all other centers around the country are here to help.
Speaker 3: So we are ready with any questions you might have.
Speaker 2: Cool Cool and what we'll do. We'll share some details of the center. Have you been getting contact and then she said you were looking for volunteers, so if you happen to be in the Hampshire area and it'll be interested in giving your time, we'll share details of that. So, Karen, thank you so much for your time. It's been wonderful talking to you like it is every time I pop in, and yes, thank.
Speaker 1: You for your time.
Speaker 2: And obviously we're you know, raising awareness for the world Alzheimer's Day. Thank you so much for the work that you do and for leading your team so fantastically to support your service users.
Speaker 1: So thank you again. Thank you. Pably Cool.
Speaker 2: Just going to segue around a little bit and sometimes you said before, is there anything that we can do to kind of support our own brain health as it were, may not be able to necessarily prevent dementias you know, if it could be genetic, it could be as you mentioned about live style trans But there anything that we can do to kind of you know, we're talking about, you know, the importance of looking after ourselves self care, wellness and mental health. Are there any kind of other tips that you think actually can with you know, boosing, but maybe kind of thinking about our cognitive function and actually what we can do better. And I guess, you know, as usual, we're kind of coming to the end of USh can be, coming to the end of our time and kind of thinking about what we can do. And as you know, as often, you probably can do part two and part three of our show on this and it will definitely be a topic that we will you return to. But is there anything that you know we can do that you can sort of advise our listeners to sort of say, actually and pnemonia. You mentioned about knowing your numbers, and I think that's a message that you know, knowing your body, knowing yourself is for any kind of illness or anything you know that comes up or conditions that you're trying to avoid. There's anything specifically we could do to boost that.
Speaker 7: You mentioned sleep as well. Sleep I think it's keep parent. There's so many things than selling the brain an exercise. I'm glad and we'll be one too. But again it's those habits that you know you must do one just some sisters, as you should be.
Speaker 5: I think love style is a big, big thing. And I think that by time symptoms start showing that illness has been there at least twenty years prior. It's not a going to the shops and buying all the multi vitamins on the counter here and now. It's starting from the beginning. It's all about balance. And you know, some people love their work and they work and work and work and work and work. But it will catch up with you at some point. Do any exercise and then suddenly when you're fifteen you decide to join the gym, which is.
Speaker 7: Great, asking you to repeat that work point again.
Speaker 5: To be honest, we need to work, we need to live, I know.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the balance, the ballance.
Speaker 5: You know, everybody's circumstance is different, but you know, whatever circumstance you find yourself in, always think balance, balance, balance. There's twenty four hours in the day, doesn't mean you have to work for twenty four hours. Speak some of it is for unwinding and just relaxing. Some of it for socializing, but what we tend to do is work, work, work, work, work, work, work, and then party, party, party, party, party, where you know, we're like yo yo is going back and forth in doing different things where we're supposed to do a little bit of everything every day. But another very very big thing which is very prevalent in the UK's loneliness, extremely lonely. You know, I don't know if technology has made it better or worse, because you know, there's less of the physical interaction. But we're social beings. We thrive on community, We thrive on meeting people. A hug keeps the doctor away. We don't even talk to each other anymore.
Speaker 1: We're on our gadgets.
Speaker 5: When we come down to the nitty gritty. You know, you might have so many ticks and likes, but how many people are you actually connecting with?
Speaker 1: Yeah, level one to one. I think there's another show right there.
Speaker 2: I think The Boy definitely a topic to because and I know that was a big thing that came out from COVID, you know, the fact where we were locked down, the reality of suddenly you're actually on your own, you know, and you can't go out.
Speaker 5: Or you can't go to the pub, or you can't or conversations are not happening, or they're all very superficial relationships and neurons are dying one cell at a time.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just keeps you going.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Is there some myth or is it truth in terms of keeping your brain active with puzzles and other things like that? Put that help or are we clasping at straws on that front?
Speaker 2: Then you use it or you lose it?
Speaker 1: Well said, so.
Speaker 5: We might have won key genes, but it's our environment that pulls the trigger.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, So it's kind of never too late then in that respect. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Cool.
Speaker 2: And Michelle, do you have anything else to add on that as well?
Speaker 8: No, I'm just seeing it thinking. You know, really, no man is an island. You just can't do it alone, and you actually need to seek help. We actually rise by lifting others, and I think we need to reach out and support each other as much as we can, particularly in our community. And you know, for anyone listening on on this show, if you know anyone any black African Caribbean careers that would like to join my dementia support group, by all means i'd happily welcome you to the group, and if you feel that you'd like someone to want counseling with me, I'm happy to organize that and we can do that online. Most of my work is online, so if it's okay with you, I'd like to leave you my contact number please, and then anyone listening feel free to get in touch with me. So my number is zero seven nine six five zero seven zero zero three. So that's zero seven nine three six five zero seven zero zero three.
Speaker 2: Thank you, and reminds you the name of the group again.
Speaker 8: It's NYA, a coma Dementia support group.
Speaker 2: And I love the meaning behind that as well, and you're thinking behind that and ammonia. Is there any where we can find out a bit more about the work that you do as well.
Speaker 1: On hs.
Speaker 5: I work in Northwest London, But like Michelle, I'm really keen on supporting as many people as possible and I always say what we're all doing for our mums and for those caring for spouses. In a few years time it might be us in that position. So this is not something to shy away from or run away from, because you know what you don't deal with you today is waiting tomorrow. And the more voices then, the more we get heard on policy levels, you know, Westminster, and until we get to that point where my dream or my ideal would be to bring dementia screening as part of the forty plus screening. When your forty plus screen like you have breast screening, like you have bowel screening.
Speaker 2: I think we will.
Speaker 5: Get there eventually, but I think that we need to be getting there like yesterday.
Speaker 7: Well, it's the theme for the for the awareness days.
Speaker 1: We need to act.
Speaker 7: Now is the time, even if there's nothing wrong.
Speaker 5: If you hear it when you're forty, when you're you start thinking I've heard that somewhere, But when you're hearing it for the first time in these or seventies, then we've kind of missed the boat at that stage.
Speaker 7: Fourteen and at these tender ages where we think we're invincible, it's time to put those practices and those lifestyle changes in place so that we're not, you know, far along than we need to be at sixteen seventy. I say that to all my twenty old friends and so forth. You know what, Yeah, there's the story about we live for our wealth now and then we our health suffers later and you know, our social life or whatever else it might be that seems priority at that age. But yeah, it's these years that we need to start putting in place those habits that will take us through.
Speaker 5: And we need to act. Now. That's the message for this year's World Alzheimer's Day. And think of alzheimer as all the dementias. So it's Alzheimer's disease and related dementias. So there's lots of different kinds of dementia. So don't think of it as eighty year old. Think of it as anybody you know all the time. This was the same way we were scared about cancer. Now everybody says, oh I've got this cat, Oh I'm in remission, you know, which is great, and we'd like dementia to be that way someday soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yeah. And just to kind of add on to in terms of you know, there's lots of there are lots of resources out there Dementia UK. You can go to their website DEMENTIAUK dot org. There's Alzheimer's Society, so that's Alzheimer's Org dot UK, and there's also the Alzheimer's Research as well, and a lot of huk Age concern. You know, there's a lot of information out there, so you know we're highlighting that, but you know there's the opportunity to educate yourself and find out more information there as well. It's been another great conversation and you know, as we're kind of going to be wrapping up so much more, I'm sure we've gould have talked about, so we definitely will love to have you both back on the show with us. And yeah, it's been, yeah, really interesting. I've definitely as much as the research that I've done, definitely have learned something from today's show this because so many things that I've just wasn't necessarily aware of thought about, and you've let us with some kind of you know, great gems there in terms of things to consider going forward. So I want to thank you both for coming on today and joining us for our show, and I thank you for the work that you're doing within this field. And you know, like I said, we'll definitely try and get you back on again to you know, continue the conversation, and you said keep talking about it and definitely, you know, keep educating us and khukating you know, each other as well. So we're going to finish today. I thank you all for joining us on talking points, and again, you know, we are back from our break, so we've got some great shows lined up, so we're if you again, and if you want to join in the conversation, do you get in contact with us if you'd like to be a guest on our show. We was looking for guests, were looking for stories, so do contact us as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to hand over to Pedro to pray for us, and then we will close, and I thank you all. I hope you enjoy the rest of your evening and we'll see you again next week.
Speaker 9: I just want to say real quick, I really do hope that we do do another show soon, because I just feel like we just crashed the surface a little bit. We didn't really get to the meatia potatoes. There's so much underlying stuff that we can get to. So I see you're smiling because you probably was thinking the same thing. I'm using your term meating potatoes, you know, And I just think that it's just so much more that we could dove into that, can you know, educators, because it's definitely I learned a lot today just listening that I didn't even know or didn't understand that. I think now I have a better understanding of the difference of dementia and Alzheimer's and just the different types that there is. So definitely I think we definitely need to do soon just my opinion agreed.
Speaker 7: Now what it's always good to talk this is this is the basis of talking.
Speaker 9: Point that definitely, Yes, today.
Speaker 7: We talk about it, then we raise awareness and people can.
Speaker 9: Act ourselves and for other people too. That's the point.
Speaker 7: And for the longest way, I was really quiet at the beginning because I was just taking it all in there.
Speaker 1: Just I thought I.
Speaker 7: Knew something, but I didn't know as much as I thought I didnnew, And there's always more to learn, So to keep talking.
Speaker 9: Oh, definitely, definitely.
Speaker 7: Before you pray, interject a scripture that I thought that might might apply, and it's Second Corinthians twelve nine, and it says, and he said to me, my grace is sufficient for the My strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly. Therefore, will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest on me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's great. Want to end on Simon nice into our prayer. Thank you for that, Sonya, thank you.
Speaker 9: Than you let us pray any by his heave any Father, we thank you for this. Another talking point did you have allowed us to have as we are learning about different different things going on in the world and different things going on in our bodies. We asked lok Lod that you will be of us as we go forward this week. Let us have a good week, enjoy the rest of our weekend. We also ask Lord that those who may be dealing with these situations with Alzheimer's, are dementia, maybe a care or maybe helping somebody deal with it, that you'll give them the strength and the patience and the understanding that they may need to make it through this time. As there as we understand it, it's not an easy thing to deal with. So we ask Lord that you will be with those folks, watch over them, protect them, just give them the knowledge that they may need, give them the help that they may be seeking. That they may be some may be too proud to ask for. We ask Lord that you'll find that you will send somebody that would well be able to help them, that they may not be so stressed or so anxious We love you, Lord, We thank you for the rest of the life that you give us on a daily basis, and we ask that you continue to watch over us until you come for this operennial Holy name. Amen.
Speaker 2: And once again, thank you so much Michelle and Pneumonia for joining us. And yes, we definitely would love to have you back on again to share your insights and dementia could be on any other topics that we have as well, so you know.
Speaker 7: Nice, nice santic I like that, already putting in the request.
Speaker 9: Yes, o, p cool.
Speaker 7: Thank you very very much the thing you do.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you for joining and again thank you for joining us on Talking Point and yeah, good night from us.
Speaker 1: And we'll see Adventist Radio London. Inspiration for the song