Speaker 1: The battle of capitalism versus socialism is taking to the streets and bizarre voting processes in New York City. Brandon Strock is one of the Republican Party's top organizers, and he's dispatched to the Big Apple to defeat the Zoron.
Speaker 2: His report is at the top of the show.
Speaker 1: Plus Coriy DeAngelis is here to follow how the Trump administration is using new powers unlocked by the Supreme Court, and we get perspective on the violence in Syria by a man who has spent time there.
Speaker 2: It's all next to the Matt Gates Show. Let's do this shaking up Washington, d C. We're breaking the fever. Do you haven't watch this guy on television. It's like a machine. He's great. Matt Gates. New York City.
Speaker 1: It's the global symbol of capitalism and it's about to fall to a socialist government in the form of mayoral candidate Zoron Mamdani. If you don't live in New York City and don't plan to go there, given Gotham's decline, you may be wondering why.
Speaker 2: This story matters to you. Here's the deal.
Speaker 1: Donnie is able to show coalition building that brings together yuppie whites and non white voters. You are going to see leftist politics in the United States look a lot less like Bill Clinton and Al Gore and a lot more like AOC and the Zorn. You'll start to see it in Democrat executive committees in your community all of a sudden, The sensible Democrats who don't want to defund the police or turn your son into a girl are going to be replaced with the likes of this.
Speaker 3: We have to continue to elect more socialists, and we have to ensure that we are unapologetic about our socialism.
Speaker 4: Do you think that billionaires have a right to exist.
Speaker 5: I don't think that we should have billionaires.
Speaker 4: Shift the tax burden from over taxed homeowners and the outer boroughs to more expensive homes in richer and wider neighborhoods. Explain why you are bringing race into your tax proposal.
Speaker 5: That is just an description of what we see right now.
Speaker 3: Whether you called the abbol of private property or you call it just a state wide housing guarantee, it is preferable to what is going on right now.
Speaker 6: We're going to provide sixty five million dollars in funding their genders.
Speaker 5: For care, r'mes of Ramadhani, and as mayor, I will create a network of city owned grocery stores. It's like a public option for produce.
Speaker 3: Also other issues that we firmly believe in, whether it's BDS right or whether it's the end goal of season, the means of production.
Speaker 2: Bad idea is and somehow a worse sweater.
Speaker 1: New York isn't just a city, it's a loud symbol of American exceptionalism. Then all kinda knew that New York cranks out mayors like the Kardashians crank out skincare lines, and each somehow manages to be more clownish than the last.
Speaker 2: I legitimately, miss Mayor Michael Bloomberg. He wanted to take away your big gulp.
Speaker 1: But at least the trains ran on time after running New York City rather effectively. This is how Bloomberg was treated by his fellow Democrats.
Speaker 7: Billionaire who calls women fat broads and horse faced lesbians. No, I'm not talking about Donald Trump, I'm talking about Mayor Bloomberg. Jena Press are not going to win if we have a nominee who has a history of hiding his tax returns. Of harassing women and of supporting racist policies like redlining and stop and frisk.
Speaker 1: Senator Pocahontas would like to speak to the manager enter Zoron Mamdani. Every time I see the name, it feels like I'm summoning some sort of nemesis of Batman. The scary part the gen Z crowd in New York is eating it up like it's free tofu.
Speaker 2: At a Bernie rally.
Speaker 1: Zoron is a state assemblyman from Queen's which sounds impressive and soil you realize New York has more elected officials than it has rats. Zoron is basically what would happen if AOC's tweetscrew legs put on a scarf and started yelling about housing justice while sipping a.
Speaker 2: Twelve dollars oat milk latte.
Speaker 1: He's got all the socialist swagger and probably a Spotify playlist that's about ninety percent NPR podcasts. He's the kind of guy who uses the word neo liberalism in casual conversation, saying things like this community is being oppressed by the violence of systemic zoning. Zoron's not just here to complain about capitalism. He wants to abolish it, which makes sense because if I were a socialist with a Gucci belt living in an apartment my parents paid for, I'd want to abolish capitalism too. The man tweeted that landlords should not exist. Bro, you live in a city where even the pigeons have landlords, Good luck with that. Let's not forget his grand vision a city without police, without landlords, without billionaires, also probably without electricity, plumbing, or protein. In a sane world, someone suggesting we abolish the police and all of these things would not be taken seriously. They'd be politely asked to step away from the group project of governance. But in New York City, he's cool, he's visionary, he's got a campaign logo that looks like it was designed by Banksy on a sugar high. But here's the punchline that people who vote for Zoron don't actually want to live in the world he is selling. They just want to tweet about it. They just want a virtue signal. They're keyboard revolutionaries. They want their socialist utopia with Wi Fi, Whole Foods and a four point eight uber rating.
Speaker 2: Eric Adams is the current mayor of New York.
Speaker 1: He's a part time nightclub enthusiast and has been costplaying as a centrist ever since his approval ratings started free falling like Joe Biden on a bicycle.
Speaker 2: Is Adams the best option to take on Zoron?
Speaker 1: Or? Is there a Cuomo resurgence? Like a phoenix rising from the ashes? The former New York Governor Andrew Cuomo lost the Democratic primary in New York, He's stayed in the race to run in the general election as an independent. So who comes out on top in this big Apple political hunger games? Joining us now founder of the walk Away campaign Brandon Strock.
Speaker 2: So, Brandon, give us an update from the ground.
Speaker 1: How are you organizing activists to take on Zoron Mamdani?
Speaker 8: Yeah, So, I actually have moved back to New York City and with the main purpose here of wanting to fight this guy. Because I've lived in New York City for over twenty years. I love the city. I'm very concerned about the road that we could be going down if they decide to embrace putting a mayor into office who supports democratic socialism. What I'm trying to do here in New York is gather as many people as I can on the ground and actually deploy volunteers to canvas boroughs. I'll go to all areas of New York City, and we really need to be talking to black people and Hispanic people. We need to be talking to young people gen z college kids and letting them know that the seduction of the idea of free everything from socialist policies might sound really great and might address a lot of the pain points that New Yorkers have, which by the way, are very real, and I want to make that very clear. Rents are too high in New York. Life is afford unaffordable in New York. Groceries are unaffordable. So the pain points are very real. But the solutions being proposed by Mom Donnie are not real solutions. And in fact, for a lot of the groups of people that I just named, their lives are going to become markedly worse if we actually go down this road, and the city I think really could be on the verge of collapse. So I take this very very seriously, And in addition to deploying volunteers and trying to educate people all over New York, including these different minority factions, We're also going to be doing events all over the city, including marches, rallies, debates, and tabling events right on the street, including what I'm doing on July twenty seventh, Sunday July twenty seventh and Union Square. We're going to be doing a rally and a tabling event where we're actually going to be conversing with and debating New Yorkers right and one of the busiest areas of New York, which is Union Square, to educate people on the dangers of socialism. And one more thing I'll say about that is we're inviting every mayoral candidate to come and attend this rally with us, and we've already heard from Curtis Sliwa and a couple of others, so I think it's going to be a great event.
Speaker 1: I would pose it that Mom, Donnie's connection with working class voters is probably pretty instant, and if there is a part of his coalition that is weakest, it's those New Yorkers who go to work every day and actually have that capitalist energy to make a better life for themselves. Do you see that as a vulnerable group within his coalition?
Speaker 8: I think so, But I mean I think again, if you're living in New York City. You know, like I said, as I have, for a very long time, you've seen the city become progressively more unavailable and unaffordable to everybody. So you don't even have to necessarily be a working class person anymore to find it almost impossible to get by in New York City. So again I use the word seductive because I do think that the solutions he's proposing, in the ways in which he's addressing people's pain points, it's I think he's making people feel like maybe there's a let me say, I was going to say, a path forward, but let me also say I think a lot of people too have kind of gotten to this point where they're almost like, screw the government and let's break the system, because people are feeling like they just can't get ahead and they're being held down. And I can understand why a person would feel that way if they're out there working two or three jobs and still struggling to just get by and saying, well, why am I trying? So I'm trying to do everything right and I can't make it. The problem, I say again, is that the policies that he's putting forward are not going to improve people's lives.
Speaker 9: They're going to make things much much worse.
Speaker 8: And this is I think one of the most egregious examples. People ask me all the time, Well, you know, we have Alexandro Casio Cortes, we have the Squad in DC, so you know, how is this different. I actually think he's more radical than the squad, and I think that the policies he's pushing for are more radical, including the fact that you know, he's not just part of Congress. He's talking about running the economic capital of i'd say the world, certainly the United States of America. You know, he wants the government to control power, he wants the government to control housing, he wants the government to control grocery, and there's really no limit to what he wants the government to not be in control of in New Yorker's lives. And I have no idea who he thinks is going to pay for all of this, especially when you know his whole thing is, well, we're just going to overtax the rich. We're going to continue to tax wealthy people. What he's calling a wealthy person as a person making a million dollars or more a year in New York City, that's not that much money in New York. I mean, it might sound like a lot of money to a lot of people. It's a lot of money to me, but it's a million dollars a year. I don't think it creates a wealthy person in New York City. It's a very unaffordable city. So I think we're going to see a mass exodus from New York when he wants the government to be in controlled paying for everything, and the people who are gonna have to pay for this are people that are really not even that wealthy.
Speaker 1: Imagine people fleeing New York to New Jersey for better governance. I would have never imagined, but may actually be on the horizon. So, Brandon, you're an experienced political operative. How do we avoid winning the argument and losing the lie? And I ask that because I see Eric Adams has a small cohortive voters, Andrew Cuomo seems to be in the swan song of his career but still nonetheless running. Curtis Sliwa has a batch of voters who've been voting for him to no avail for some time.
Speaker 2: Is there any chance that that.
Speaker 1: Will divide the majority, that you will persuade to vote against Zoran.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it definitely will.
Speaker 8: And I mean there's going to have to come a reckoning and very very soon where these gentlemen take a hard look at what the true viability is of their ability to be successful and that we're going to have to rally behind one person. I mean, that's going to have to happen, and it's going to have to happen very very soon. But in regards also to your question about winning the argument, you know, one thing that I hear we have an uphill battle as conservatives in New York City. You know, it's been a very long time since conservatives have gotten behind Republican candidates. And one thing that is not going to help us, I think, is attacking this guy in this sort of alarmist state. I hear a lot of conservatives saying, oh, well, you know, he's a Muslim, he's an Islamist, he's you know, all these different things, and okay, that's fine. But the thing is we have to also recognize the fact that record numbers of gen Z people came out to vote for the very first time in this primary to support him. They don't care, you know, So things like that are not going to win these people over. And I also think, you know, he's he's got a lot of support among racial minorities, of course, and of course white liberals, you know. So I think what we have to do is not focus on these sort of alarmist talking points that get conservatives sort of up in arms. But I want to recognize, Look, I look at this guy. I've said this many times and I'll say it again. He's a charming guy. He's charismatic. You know, I get the appeal, you know. I watch him doing his videos and out they're interacting with people, and I think, you know, if I didn't think that his policy prescription was horrifying and his plans for New York City were catastrophic, I would think that this guy was If I met him at a party, I would say, hey, this is a pretty cool guy. Maybe we could hang out some time, maybe we could be friends. But unfortunately, this is a much more dire situation than that. So I think what we have to do is not try to convince people that he's a terrible person. We have to try to convince people that he has terrible policy ideas, and while also recognizing that the issues that he's addressing, like the unaffordability of New York and safety issues and things like that. What he's trying to put forward as policy ideas are absolutely terrible and are not going to make people's lives any better, you know. I mean, this guy wants to abolish ice, he wants to defund the police, he wants the government to control everything in people's lives.
Speaker 9: It's not good.
Speaker 8: He wants to provide free public transportation for people. I mean, we already have a subway system that's subsidized by the government and also paid for by New Yorkers and taxpayers. But it's a terrible It's the most unreliable public transportation system. And I can only imagine you put the government in charge completely of public transportation.
Speaker 9: It's not gonna get better. It's gonna get much much worse.
Speaker 1: And we wonder, in that need to avoid the splintering dynamic, how do you do it? I mean, you've got the polling showing Cuomo among the non Mamdani candidates leading, but he's already lost to Mamdani, and so the other folks would say, well, why would we concede to someone who's already lost to this person? Sliwa is in second place. The other two would say, well, gosh, Sleiwa has lost repeatedly, he's not someone who really is campaigning to win the election. And Eric Adams is the incumbent, but he's the one polling the lowest of the three, and why would two people pulling higher than Eric Adams fold in behind him? So with that being like the normative construct overall this, what do you think the odds are that you can have a unified force to rally these people too? Because Brandon, if you go out and have these rallies, organize these folks tables, sign people up, you have to push them to something, not just away from Mamdani.
Speaker 8: Right, Well, yes and no, But I think we have to do two things at the same time. I think we have to push them away from the magic wand hypnot hypnosis that I think that they're under believing that democratic socialism is going to fix their problems. But then yes, I think that we have to somehow find a candidate that we can all get behind. And again, it's going to require some teamwork, it's going to require people putting their egos aside, and I think doing what's best for New York City.
Speaker 9: I don't think we're there.
Speaker 1: It's a city of egos, isn't New York like the place nobody puts their ego aside?
Speaker 8: Well, our president I think hails from New York City, and he's certainly got a big personality to be mayor.
Speaker 1: I don't think you're going to be able to talk him into the mayoral race. I don't think does Adams have a prayer in this thing?
Speaker 2: Brandon?
Speaker 1: Are you do you really look at I mean, Eric Adams is down in single digits. Every one of his political events looks like one of the scenes from the movie Coming to America? Is this guy actually running a credible campaign?
Speaker 9: I think there's a lot of work to be done.
Speaker 8: But I look, I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing right now if I didn't think that there was a solid chance that we can overtake this mom Donnie guy. I don't know at this point who is going to drop out of the race so that we can sort of coalesce and I'll get behind somebody with a solid chance and try to create a united force.
Speaker 2: But I know, showing up at your events, do you what do they want?
Speaker 1: Like the people who are showing up not to argue with you, but because they're waking up. They're hearing your call to get involved in save Gotham from the socialist villain. Do you you know, are they coming with that singular focus or do you have some sleeve.
Speaker 2: What people come? Some Cuomo people come, and some Adams people come.
Speaker 8: Well, there's people from all over the political spectrum. And that's what I'm actually telling people too. Look, I don't even care if you're a current Democrat, if you're a registered Democrat who loves the Democratic Party. All I'm asking for is for people to recognize that opening the door to socialism in New York City, that's a door we haven't really opened before. And once, I think, once we take the lid off that box, we can't put it back on. So I'm asking people, Look, you don't have to abandon your party, you don't have to abandon your principles, but you have to take a hard look at what we're talking about doing here and recognizing that this is a step farther than we've ever gone before. And I think it's a very catastrophic step. Who shows up at these events, it's all kinds of people. I mean, we have, you know, former Bernie Sanders supporters, we have former AOC supporters, and then of course we have everyone in between, centrist people, moderate Democrats, former Democrats, and then.
Speaker 9: Of course there are people on the right.
Speaker 8: Some people you know, love Trump, some people are more traditional Republicans who maybe aren't totally behind the Magamus movement. I'm not trying to push any particular policy idea or political party. What I'm trying to do is bring people together across the spectrum to say, let's all rally together to not open the door to democratic socialism in New York, say.
Speaker 1: Gotham, like say superhero Brandon Strock has gone to Gotham to save the city, and we wish you well on that mission. Safe, stay safe when you're out there in Union Park. You can get a little dicey sometimes.
Speaker 8: Thanks Matt, I appreciate that. I just want to tell everyone quickly. July twenty seventh, one pm, Union Square, Please be there. You can get more information at Walkaway campaign dot com, slash events.
Speaker 9: Please come out and support.
Speaker 1: All right, stay safe, Thanks for being here, Thanks Matt, And coming up. The Supreme Court has issued a ruling regarding Department of Education firings. Cory D'Angelis is here to break down what that means for the future of the bloated bureaucracy and maybe.
Speaker 2: All the rest of them too more after a quick break.
Speaker 6: Viewers are always asking me how can they watch Away in live. The solution is it's a streaming platform called cloud tv. Now it's spelled klowd TV. Simply go to cloudtv dot com and subscribe to watch twenty four to seven live feeds of Oan. The live package is only two dollars and fifty cents per month for all you can watch. Again, simply go to cloudtv dot com and do it today. Hey, did you know that One America News Network has launched a twenty four to seven Twitter like social media replacement. We're calling it Free Talk forty five. So why is it branded free Talk forty five. Well, free talk because you will not be censored for expressing your opinion there, and forty five because forty five is a really lucky number. So join us at free Talk forty five and express yourself with no fear of cancelation. Ever, Hey, if your cable provider doesn't offer One America News Network, you should give them a call and kindly demand that they CARRYAN. Now you're the customer, and without your feedback, your cable provider will not know that there is a strong demand across this country for One America News Network. So please call your cable company today and kindly ask or demand that they add OANN to their channel lineup.
Speaker 2: Hey everyone, here's a.
Speaker 10: Question for you.
Speaker 6: What does Roku TV, Apple TV, and Amazon fireTV all have in common? The answer is that all three platforms offer you the ability to live stream One America News Network from your Roku TV, Apple TV.
Speaker 10: Or Amazon Fire device.
Speaker 6: Simply go to the app store search out FORAAN, then enjoy all the great programming offered by on, including my show Real America.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't believe it with the media obsession over the Epstein files, but the Trump administration is having a banger week. Let's start on Capitol Hill, where the Senate is just passed Trump's spending reduction legislation. It cuts about nine billion dollars in foreign aid, PBS, NPR. The bill goes back to the House for some final approval of amendments, but that shouldn't have any drama. Score a win for the costs cutters and for the Trump administration.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't just in.
Speaker 1: The legislative halls that Trump saw his agenda advancing. This week, the Supreme Court issued a six y three ruling that dramatically increased the power of the president to say his two favorite words, you fight. The Supreme Court lifted a lower court injunction that had blocked the Trump administration from carrying out mass layoffs of nearly fourteen hundred.
Speaker 2: Department of Education staff.
Speaker 1: This effectively allowed the firings and the dismantling effort to proceed, at least for now. The three liberal justices so Demayora, Kagan, and Jackson issued a nineteen page descent, calling the ruling indefensible.
Speaker 2: They warned it.
Speaker 1: Violated separation of powers by enabling the president to dismantle statutory agencies through firings alone, and that is exactly what I voted for. Following the Court's decision, the Trump administration stated it will proceed with the planned reductions in force and transfer key programs such as student loans and special education to other federal agencies. Education Secretary Linda McMahon and Trump framed the move as a shift towards state control, efficiency and accountability. There's some squawking from lawmakers about Trump's penny pinching. Ten Republican senators have asked the administration to put a hold on impoundment of funds to the Department of Education. So will the Trump attack on the bureaucratic state continue like a bulldozer, or will some Republicans wringing their hands and wetting the bed over a government actually getting smaller prevail Joining us now, Executive director of the Education Freedom Institute and Senior fellow at the American Culture Project, Corey DeAngelis, So, Corey, what does the recent Supreme Court ruling mean for the future of the Department of Education?
Speaker 2: All it means we can dwindle it down a little bit.
Speaker 11: Further, it does require an Act of Congress still to totally dismantle the Department of Education. But that doesn't mean Linda McMahon can't get in there and body slam it from the inside and kill it from the inside by giving it a death by a thousand cuts. So this all started because the Trump administration wanted to fire about fourteen hundred employees. That's nearly half of their their staffing, which is a it's a good start. That's we want to get all the way there. But basically this should have never needed to go to the Supreme Court. There was a lower court ruling out of communist Massachusetts where you had an activist judge side with the teachers union, and.
Speaker 2: If this should have been.
Speaker 11: Unanimous at the Supreme Court. This is the chief executive being able to manage the executive branch. I mean, this isn't really rocket science here. But you had the three liberal justices thescent on this decision. Obviously it's ridiculous that they're so partisan, but you have one of the three liberal justices who doesn't even know what a woman is, so it doesn't surprise me that they got this decision wrong as well. But this allows the Trump administration to continue mass firings at the Department of Education. So we got the green light to move full speed ahead on Trump's mission to make the Department of Education more efficient.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's really the question.
Speaker 1: The ruling relates to an injunction over a group of fourteen hundred people who were fired. I sense that you don't get You don't get the vibe that the lack of those fourteen hundred people being at the DOE has negatively impacted the education of children. But you wonder what the next layer of that is. Are there other programs other people beyond this fourteen hundred that you th should specifically be targeted at the DOE.
Speaker 2: And if so, who are what?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 11: I don't think the federal government should be involved in education at all, Matt the word but who after next?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it, you would throw the whole agency into a winship. Yeah, but but but but like, we're doing this in layers, So I'm trying to I'm trying to game plan the strategy with you.
Speaker 11: Right, Yeah, A lot of things haven't really changed since those layoffs were announced, So I don't think they were doing much of anything to begin with. That department doesn't educate a single child, it doesn't employ a single teacher. So I'm not sure on the margins of where they're going to kind of fine tune and tweak the staffing going forward.
Speaker 12: But you're you're right.
Speaker 11: I do wish they would just bulldoze the entire building and replace it with I don't know, a statue or something something that does actually more more, more good than the harm that the Department of Education is doing. Uh, right now, and since its inception, the proof is in the pudding. The outcomes haven't gotten any better, They've gotten worse. It's spent nearly three trillion dollars since it has started. And look, if you're concerned about things like student loans, Trump has already announced that moves over to the Small Business Administration. The bill in Congress to totally dismantle it. Even if we got that far, things like headstart would move under the Health and Human Services Department. So any vital functions like civil rights protections would over under the Department of Justice. So you don't need this additional layer of bureaucracy, right, and so many of those things like getting people healthy, making sure people's rights are protected, that's not stuff that lends itself to an education bureaucrat anyway.
Speaker 1: And so that type of reorganization just makes good business sense. And if they are going to build a statue where the Department of Education building is, I would suggest they build it. Of Linda McMahon, she has really exceeded expectations.
Speaker 2: Were expectation of style.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she has really gone over there with an effective approach. She laid the necessary groundwork for the decision to be upheld your take on Linda McMahon so far as the secretary.
Speaker 11: Oh, she's doing a fantastic job. And I was just talking to someone in Washington, d C. About this a couple hours ago that she is the perfect person for the job because.
Speaker 2: No one messes with her. I mean, look, she has a lot of.
Speaker 11: Enemies because she's dealing with this behemoth, the Department of Education. A lot of people are having layoffs, and you had the teachers Unions, one of the most influential political forces in this country, which, by the way, we need to revoke the NEA's federal charter. But Lynda McMahon can just you know, she has that poker face. The media can't get to her, the teachers unions can't get to her. And that's what we needed. We needed someone who could stand strong and fight for what's right and to fulfill Trump's campaign promise to take steps to dismantle the department.
Speaker 1: She's tough as nails, and so is Corey DeAngelis. Thanks so much for coming on in the program and keeping us all today.
Speaker 11: Yeah, thanks so much.
Speaker 1: Matting up in Syria, there is currently rising violence. Israel is attacking Damascus. Drew's are fleeing, and Pearson Sharp is here next to tell us what it all means for the United States, Europe and security in the Middle East.
Speaker 6: Back in moments, Hey, did you know that One America News Network has launched a twenty four to seven Twitter like social media replacement. We're calling it free Talk forty five. So why is it branded free Talk forty five? Well, free talk because you will not be censored for expressing your opinion there, and forty five because forty five is a really lucky number. So join us at free Talk forty five and express yourself with no fear of cancelation. Ever, Hey, if your cable provider doesn't offer One America News Network, you should give them a call and kindly demand that they carry away in Now you're the customer, and without your feedback, your cable provider will not know that there is a strong demand across this country for One America News Network. So please call your cable company today and kindly ask or demand that they add OANN to their channel lineup.
Speaker 10: Hey, everyone, here's a question for you.
Speaker 6: What does Roku TV, Apple TV, and Amazon fireTV all have in common? The answer is that all three platforms offer you the ability to live stream One America News Network from your Roku TV, Apple TV.
Speaker 10: Or Amazon Fire device.
Speaker 6: Simply go to the app store search out FORAAN. Then enjoy all the great programming offered by ON, including my show Real America. Hey, did you know that video clips from my program Real America and all the other talk shows offer by One America News Network are available to you for free.
Speaker 10: ONA and N dot com.
Speaker 6: You can also enjoy the latest in breaking news videos by VISITINGA and N dot com. Make sure you stay informed and visit oann dot com daily. And if you'd like to show support and wears some support for One America News Network, then visitor online store for the latest shirts, hats and mugs.
Speaker 1: Welcome back. Violence is rising in Syria. I know you're shocked. Sectarian fighting erupted in southern syrias Drew's majority Swei region between Drew's militias and Sunni Bedouin tribes. Syrian government forces intervened, but the situation spiraled into heavy combat. This conflict very quickly became one of the most fierce challenges to the new Damascus government since the fall of Asad. In this particular battle, three to four hundred people were confirmed dead and included combatants and civilians. A ceasefire was brokeren involving the Drews, the Syrian government, and international mediators. The Syrian President Ahadshaarra announced that government forces began withdrawing from Sweda, handing security control to Drews leaders and local militias under the agreement. The Israeli military conducted airstrikes in Damascus, targeting the Defense Ministry and the presidential Palace. The support that they've given the Drews groups has been very significant, and they wanted to deter Syrian government forces. These strikes killed at least five Syrian security personnel. They wounded others, but it's clearly heightening tensions when you're landing weaponry near the presidential palace. Syria's transitional government is struggling to assert any authority outside of Damascus. Israel's strikes, though aimed at protecting Drews communities, risk a broader escalating conflict. Israel also facilitated the fleeing of the Drews into their territory. I've long argued that the United States has no business with troops in Syria. I lost the vote on this key legislation to remove troops from the country.
Speaker 2: But I do think we won the evade.
Speaker 1: Most Americans don't know a single Syrian, and so people watching this debate might wonder, how has it come to be that Syria has become the.
Speaker 2: Great platform of great power?
Speaker 1: Competition in the world begins in twenty eleven during the Arab Spring, when Assad, who is undeniably a madman and a despot, opens fire on his own people protesting. Then part of the Syrian army defects. They engage in warfare against Assad, and all of a sudden, they got a whole lot of weapons and money being sent from the rich golf monarchies through Jordan into Syria. So Iran's not just going to watch this. Assad's their ally. They activate Hezbolah. They then invade Syria. So now you've got Jordan, the golf monarchies, Iran. But wait, Russia is pitching their vision of the world as a regime preservation force, whether you're Maduro or Assad, so they get involved in what they get for their time, a warm water port in the eastern Mediterranean.
Speaker 2: So we've got Russia, the Gulf monarchies.
Speaker 1: Israel starts to get worried about Hesbala and Iran. So Israel cuts a deal with Russia to keep Iran out of southern Syria. And if it doesn't get any worse than that, now, all of a sudden, you've got the Kurds who declare war on Syria.
Speaker 2: And it makes it a little messy that the Kurds.
Speaker 1: Are also in conflict with Turkey, which is a NATO ally. And then somehow the United States in twenty fifteen says, you know what, we need to get involved in this mess in Syria. And since we have been there, we have seen Americans die, we have seen tens of billions of dollars wasted. And what is hilarious about the two thousand and one AUMF that the neo conservatives wave around like some permission slip for every neo conservative fantasy of turning an Arabian desert into a Jeffersonian democracy, is that that very two thousand and one AUMF would justify attacking the people that we're fighting against and the people were funding, because both have ties to Al Keena, And of course the two thousand and one AOMF dealt with al Qaida. All this talk about a re emergency of ISIS. I would encourage my colleagues to go read the Inspector General's report of the last quarter that indicates that ISIS is not a threat to the homeland. And with the Turks conducting operations in Syria against ISIS, with Assad and Russia having every incentive to create pressure on ISIS, I do not believe that what stands between a caliphate and not a caliphate are the nine hundred Americans who have been sent to this health escape with no definition of victory, with no clear objective, and purely existing as a vestige to the regime change, failed foreign policies of multiple former presidents. So is Syria about to enter another civil war driven by sectarian violence? What would that mean for migrants throughout Europe, for Israel, and.
Speaker 2: Even for the United States?
Speaker 1: Joining me now in studio is host of Oen's the Sharp reportes terrific investigative reporter and knows a lot about having been there. So as I was seeing the Israeli attacks, as I was seeing the government in Syria barely hold together in this conflict with the Drews and others, I was wondering your perspective. You've spent time in the country. What chapter of the book are we in in Syria right now?
Speaker 2: Pearson Charleppe.
Speaker 10: It's not a good one.
Speaker 12: I'll tell you that.
Speaker 13: Cliff Notes, it's not a good one. This is nothing new. The president al Jelani, that's his jihadis name. I'm gonna stick with that because he is a terrorist. He's been ethnic cleansing people since he took office. They've killed tens of thousands of ethnic minorities so far, the drus, the Alawhites, Christians brutally slaughtered. Maybe I can give your team some video to put up because this is absolutely horrendous and it's NonStop. This isn't some misunderstood freedom fighter. He's a terrorist.
Speaker 2: Period.
Speaker 13: He started out in al Qaida, he helped found Alnos for affront in Syria. You'll remember back in twenty nineteen, Trump's first administration put him on a terrorist watch list and put a ten million dollar bounty on his head.
Speaker 2: Did or alive or did he have to be returned in any particular condition?
Speaker 13: I think as long as he was gone, that was what was satisfying the cause.
Speaker 2: Well, what do we make of that assent?
Speaker 14: Right?
Speaker 2: Here's my perception.
Speaker 1: I'll allow you to disagree if like Iran had so much going on with their support of the.
Speaker 2: Huthis and with what they were doing.
Speaker 1: With Hesbolah and Hamas, that they weren't there to fight every battle anymore for the Assad regime. And Russia had provided a lot of muscle for the Assad regime, They're bogged down in Ukraine and thus there wasn't really anyone to protect Assad from his own people. Is that how you see that transition of power occurring?
Speaker 13: Not necessarily, I mean, I definitely played a role in it. But Asad had a lot more support with the people than al Jilani does. Asad was kind of known as the protector of the Christians. He was allo white, he was a minority. He wasn't great. He was definitely not a good guy. He put a lot of people in prison, did a lot of torturing. Not a good guy, but way better that are way more stable than the current terrorist regime, which by the way, we helped set up. I mean, this dates back to Obama's regime. Like this was a guy who was installed by the CIA, by the Pentagon. His group was organized, you know, his isis we put this together timber Sycamore the operation from the CIA where we funded billions of dollars these terrorist groups.
Speaker 2: You look at.
Speaker 13: Maps, satellite maps from the time period, it just a couple of years ago, and you have US Special Forces camps right next to terrorist training centers. Isis this is happening in Syria, So we facilitated this. Now, what's been going on right now with the DRUS goes back a couple of months. It started with some leaked audio This is back in May, where someone was cursing Muhammad and the Sun he's there.
Speaker 2: The terrorists in charge decided that it.
Speaker 13: Was the Drews who were doing that, and so they went after a bunch of university students started attacking them. These universities students fled down to Sweda and they thought they were safe there, but the government started sending troops down there to fight them, and they came to kind of an agreement where the security forces down in Sweda, the police and the security they would be run by the local people in Sueda. Al Jilani said, no deal. I want to be running this entire country. I want the entire area should be run by the Sunnies. So he sent the government forces down there and started slaughtering people. That's kind of where we're at today, and Israel has a problem with that because there's a lot of drus in Israel, especially in the IDF.
Speaker 2: They have a lot of pilots who were drews, and so they said no dice.
Speaker 13: Of course, Sweda is also strategically right next to Israel and the goal on heights and stuff, so that kind of makes them nervous when you have a bunch of big military forces rolling down there.
Speaker 2: So they're trying to put the kibosh on that.
Speaker 13: They told the Syrian government the terrorists to knock it off, and Syria basically said, come at me bro So Israel did.
Speaker 1: Do you think We're in an escalatory period right now? War between Israel and Syria might be getting more and.
Speaker 2: More likely by the moment. I don't know by the moment, but it's definitely escalating the Syrian regime right now.
Speaker 13: The terrorists in charge they want a unified Syrian state where it's all run by the Sunnis. Israel obviously does not want that. That would be bad for everybody in the region, and so they've got to do what they can to stop that. Protecting the Druids in this case, is you know, a benefit of that.
Speaker 1: What does it say to you that the current government of Syria is contracting in the area that they're controlling. Does it suggest that this really isn't a country, that it's a bunch of tribes, and that unifying it under well, now certainly not asad but even under the current leader is impractical.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I would agree with that Al Jilani fails to grasp what Bashar al Assad did that Syria has just this amazing mix of different culture and religions and beliefs and peoples that go back thousands of years and for the most part they've been coexisting fairly, okay up until recently the last twenty years, fifteen twenty years, and he was managing that the friend of the Christians, This guy al Jilani, one doesn't get that as a leader, and two he doesn't care.
Speaker 2: He's a terrorist. He wants the Sonis to take over.
Speaker 13: So his primary objective right now is to eliminate all opposition and that's what he's doing. So, yeah, we're gonna have a lot of chaos until he's out of the picture.
Speaker 1: I think that Saudi Arabia plays a role here as well, you saw a crown Prince Muhammad bin Solman really work the Trump administration to get sanctions relief for his fellow Sunni who is in charge of Syria right now. I think they view it as a big coup that Damascus faces more toward Riod today. It faced more toward Tehran under Assad, and they better understand that this type of violence is bad for business. That if Saudi Arabia is really providing the political support, the economic support, the trading support for this regime, that they can't just be global players in the West while hundreds of folks are getting killed.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I would agree with that. And Saudi Arabia is a major exporter of terrorism around the world. They're setting up these Sunni schools all over Europe, over the Middle East like they are trying to export this as fast as they can. I think what we can see in Syria going forward is the Bedouins, who are Sunni by the way, are going to be running down into Suweeda to try and help consolidate that area. And I think they hope that they can give it back to HTS, they can give it back to Hyatta Alatara Sharram. But I don't think that's going to happen with Israel intervening, and if that escalates to a ground war, that's a possibility.
Speaker 2: And it sounds like you think Israel's justified in their actions at this point.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well.
Speaker 13: It's a tough it's a double edged sword. I don't think there should be intervention there. But Syria is not a real country right now. I mean, they're being run by terrorists. Something has to break that up.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that is, but what that looks like, it just sounds like right now, what's breaking that up is the natural sectarian the h of all these different Syria and everyone who goes to Syria loses.
Speaker 2: As you pointed out.
Speaker 1: When we went there, we had CIA funded forces against Pentagon funded forces. When Russia went to Syria, they ultimately had to abandon their investment there.
Speaker 2: When Iran went there, their proxies became you can't you can't manage it.
Speaker 13: So, I mean that was incredibly short sighted for us to help overthrow Asad.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't think anyone would suggest that Syria is a markedly better place today.
Speaker 13: No, absolutely not, especially not the thousands of Christians and others who have been slaughtered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Pierson Sharp, host of Owen's The Sharp Report. Thanks is always for.
Speaker 2: Coming on and sharing your expertise. I love talking about the Middle East with you and Global Fair always interested. You are a man of the world.
Speaker 1: And coming up, we've got important perspective from Puerto Rico, where there's a movement to suggest that they don't want to be a part of the United States anymore.
Speaker 2: How would that work? Javier Hernandez is here to explain.
Speaker 12: Next.
Speaker 6: Hey, if your cable provider doesn't offer one America News Network, you should give them a call and kindly demand that they carry OAN. Now you're the customer, and without your feedback, your cable provider will not know that there is a strong demand across this country for one America News Network. So please call your cable company today and kindly ask or demand that they add o ANN to their channel lineup. Hey, everyone, here's a question for you. What does Roku TV, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire TV all have in common? The answer is that all three platforms offer you the ability to live stream One America News Network from your Roku TV, Apple TV.
Speaker 10: Or Amazon Fire device.
Speaker 6: Simply go to the app store, search out FORAN, then enjoy all the great programming offered by ON, including my show Real America.
Speaker 10: Hey did you know that?
Speaker 6: Video clips from my program Real America and all the other talk shows offered by One America News Network are available to you for free on oaan N dot com. You can also enjoy the latest in breaking news videos by visiting OA and N dot com. Make sure you stay informed and visit oann dot com daily. And if you'd like to show support and wear some support for One America News Network, then visit our online store for the latest.
Speaker 10: Shirts, hats and mugs.
Speaker 6: Viewers are always asking me how can they watch OAN live? The solution is simple. It's a streaming platform called cloud tv. Now it's spelled klowd TV. Simply go to cloudtv dot com and subscribe to watch twenty four to seven live feeds OFAYN. The live package is only two dollars and fifty cents per month for all you can watch again, simply go to cloudtv dot com and do it today.
Speaker 2: What's going on in Puerto Rico.
Speaker 1: If you're familiar with Puerto Rico, you probably know it as a safe haven for billionaires who want to avoid taxes or you've seen it on TV following disasters created by both God and man. Maybe you remember that before Ashley Babbitt, the last time a gun was fired in the US Capitol, it was back in nineteen fifty four when Puerto Rican separatists shot into the well.
Speaker 2: Of the floor of Congress. There's a bullet hole.
Speaker 1: Still in the Republican leader's desk today, I always show it to be Blonde tours. So is there still a Puerto Rican separatist movement? Actually, there is a majority of Puerto Rican's per first statehood, roughly sixty percent, while about twelve percent support total independence, according to a twenty twenty four poll. Despite this disparity, one man, Javier Hernandez, is leading a movement called Prexit, which would give Puerto Rico the autonomy of an independent nation. Hernandez cites the twenty nineteen protests that saw roughly a third of the territory's population forcing out the governor, Ricardo Rossello after leaked telegram chats exposed his administration's extensive corruption. Protests erupted in July, lasting about two straight weeks, which in the heat of Puerto Rico is a lot over eight hundred and eighty nine pages of texts showed Governor Rossello and his cronies mocking Hurricane Maria victims and awarding shady contracts. The chats led to multiple indictments of Puerto Rican officials. They let a fuse, uniting everyone from Reggaeton, Star Bad Bunny to working class bikers in certain political show of force. Rossello resigned on July twenty fourth, the first Puerto Rican governor ousted by protest Wanda Vasquez replaced him. She later faced bribery charges of her own. Javier Hernandez is the author of Prexit. He argues that Puerto Rico's hunger for self rule is unsatiated.
Speaker 2: We aren't so sure that that's what the facts really illuminate.
Speaker 1: Javier Hernandez is the author of PREXIT, forging Puerto Rico's path to sovereignty. So Xavier explain to us, why is sovereignty the preferred the preferred path from your perspective.
Speaker 12: Well, thank you for inviting me to the show. Well, sovereignty is gaining more ground. It used to be a very minority position, but now we have up to forty three percent from the last plebiscite, and it's been a lot of suffering, a lot of economic collapse, suffering, losing jobs, no economic prosperity at all, and more people, especially younger and more professional Puerto Ricans, are opting to try and support sovereignty because sighood and commonwealth have not worked at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but maybe that's just because you keep electing bad people. How does sovereignty help you with that?
Speaker 12: That's a very very very good situation. Yeah, I believe that there is a lot of Alex Rold fraud in Puerto Rico, and that's a whole other segment that could be done on that. So even though they win, we have showing, you know, data that we could have won if dead people and prisoners weren't allowed to vote.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, now you got to carry the cemetery precincts and yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: But but like, how does sovereignty liberate you from that?
Speaker 1: How would you be worried that a sovereign country might fall victim to some of the same things that have crippled Puerto Rico's success recently?
Speaker 12: Well, right now, for example, let's just take corruption, the prone dependence parties and other parties have you know, gone to our legislature and proposed so many anti corruption measures, but the pro Statehood Party and the Commonwealth already always you know, don't support them, and they never catch on or they're never approved. So there are things we can do to stop corruption, it's just the parties that are corrupt don't want that to happen.
Speaker 1: So a lot of the resources in Puerto Rico are there because highly rich people go to Puerto Rico to avoid paying federal income taxes. Would there be an income tax in the sovereign Puerto Rico you envision?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean we would have a totally new national tax system, fair, you know, one that isn't like biased on foreigners coming in. You know, it'd be fair for everyone. But that that's something that the sovereign Republic would have to deal with.
Speaker 2: And would the sovereign Republic join NATO.
Speaker 12: That's a good question. I think if that's the path the Sovereign Republic of Putico would like, they would first have to become I think some kind of I think there's a position or some kind of a name there, like a non NATO ally or something like that that in order to do that.
Speaker 1: What a shame liberate yourself from colonial rule by the United States and then sign up for global rule from NATO.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't that be something.
Speaker 12: That's why I'm saying that's how we could happen. I don't think it would happen, so I wouldn't support that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've got a children's book out that also seeks to engage young people on this question. I'm interested mostly about how you view young people as a vector into these type of political questions.
Speaker 12: Well, thank you, that's a really thank you for starting the book. Yeah, the future generations of Puerto Rico, I mean, they're the ones who are really waking up and aren't falling victim to the old narratives, colonial narratives that you know, we can't survive without the US, we would dive hunger, those type of narratives that usually affects older people. Younger people aren't falling for that anymore. And this book shows, you know, basically Puerto Rico's history. It's really aimed for like middle school to high school students, but literally anyone could learn from this book. It shows parts of history in Puerto Rico that the colonial school system do not show. They don't mention, they don't talk about it because it's embarrassing. They don't want to talk about, you know, massacres and people disappearing and stuff things like that.
Speaker 2: So massacres of.
Speaker 1: People's disappearing sound like great subjects for a children's book.
Speaker 12: Hey, if it's part of your history, children should know about that.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm here for the truth, and I think I'm not entirely sure that sovereignty leads to better outcomes and better quality of life. I think ultimately you need better leaders, and I think that your efforts around election integrity would probably do a lot to give the island the type of political structure that the wonderful people there so richly deserve. Javier Hernandez, thank you for your contribution to the discussion and hope to chat with you again soon.
Speaker 12: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Con thank you, And coming up.
Speaker 1: We've got big news regarding One American News and our new partnership with Spectrum. We are on the largest cable company in America, and I'm going to tell you what that means for the future of media.
Speaker 12: Next.
Speaker 6: Hey, everyone, here's a question for you. What does Roku, TV, AppleTV, and Amazon fireTV all have in common? The answer is that all three platforms offer you the ability to live stream One America News Network from your Roku tv AppleTV, or Amazon Fire device. Simply go to the app store, search out foran, then enjoy all the great programming offered by on including my show Real America.
Speaker 10: Hey did you know that?
Speaker 6: Video clips from my program Real America and all the other talk shows offered by One America News Network are available to you for free on oaan n dot com. You can also enjoy the latest in breaking news videos by visiting oaan n dot com. Make sure you stay informed and visit onn dot com daily. And if you'd like to show support and wear some support for One America News Network, then visitor online store for the latest shirts, hats, and mugs. Viewers are always asking me how can they watch away in live? The solution is simple. It's a streaming platform called cloud tv. Now it's spelled KLOWDTV. Simply go to cloudtv dot com and subscribe to watch twenty four to seven live feeds of OAYN. The live package is only two dollars and fifty cents per month for all you can watch again, simply go to cloudtv dot com and do it today. Hey did you know that One America news network has launched a twenty four to seven Twitter like social media replacement.
Speaker 10: We're calling it free Talk forty five. So why is it branded free Talk forty five.
Speaker 6: Well, free talk because you will not be censored for expressing your opinion there, and forty five because forty five is a really lucky number.
Speaker 10: So join us at free Talk.
Speaker 6: Forty five and express yourself with no fear of cancelation ever.
Speaker 15: So, mister Howell, I have a couple of questions for you, very straightforward, Yes or no? Do you support this type of treatment of human beings?
Speaker 14: I'm sorry, I wasn't listening. All the other Democrats haven't asked a question, so I kind of wasn't paying attention. Can you restate it?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 15: The detention center facility conditions in this country are atrocious. Women are being harassed, they're being dehumanized. In Arizona, they were forced to march outside in one hundred and twenty degree heat until somebody fainted. I have visited these detention centers as part of my oversight responsibilities. I know you're a big fan of oversight. Do you think that is acceptable treatment of human beings by the United States of America for a.
Speaker 14: Legal alience to be detained throughout their immigration proceedings.
Speaker 2: Yes, you guess the law to be treated.
Speaker 14: I'm not taking your word for it.
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 15: On top that seventeen million Americans were just cut off of healthcare things to the vote of all of the Republican colleagues over here, meanwhile, Republicans just gave more money to ICE and DHS to the tune of one hundred and seventy billion dollars. It's now one of the largest funded agencies in the world, about sixteenth or seventeenth in terms of what a military would look like for other countries. Again, you talked about the importance of oversight. Mister Howell, do you believe that members of Congress are legally allowed to conduct oversight of ICE detention facilities?
Speaker 14: As we've written extensively the Oversight Project, because we're trying to help keep your colleagues out of jail. Like representing Makivor, who was indicted, I misspoke when I said she was arrested. You as an individual member do not have oversight authority. Oversight authority, by the rules of the House, flows through the full House to the Chairman and that right now is held.
Speaker 2: By the majority of site.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 2: It's actually got your.
Speaker 14: Site to end up with more Democrats clogging or jail.
Speaker 2: I want to keep you out of.
Speaker 9: Jail claiming my time.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 15: It is actually legal for members of Congress to go to detention center facilities that are operated by our government and to conduct oversight that actually is legally allowed.
Speaker 10: That is incorrect.
Speaker 1: That's how it's done. Straight fire on Capitol Hill. That was our friend and frequent guest, Mike Howell absolutely torching Democrat Congresswoman Yasmin and sorry, it's always a risk for a member of Congress to clash with a sharp witness from the opposition.
Speaker 2: That did not go well for her.
Speaker 1: Before we leave tonight, we wanted to take a moment to welcome our millions of new viewers from the Spectrum Charter family of carriers. When I began this program in January, we explain how important One American News is to the media landscape. There are so many stories, touchy issues and investigations that you will only get here. That's because our network isn't a publicly traded company more worried about quarterly profits than the well being of our viewers. Fox News is controlled opposition, subservient to their shareholders, not their audience. We also aren't owned by or indebted to foreign governments. You'd be surprised how many American media outlets are one. American News has been an outpost, a bastion of free speech and fearless investigative reporting. That's thanks to our one hundred percent owner, mister Robert Herring. Mister h has had Trump's back and hours even when threatened, sued, demonetized, and canceled, Hering Networks has persisted and we are stronger today because we've gone through the fire and come out the other side.
Speaker 2: I know a little about that too.
Speaker 1: Our daytime programming brings hard news from the White House lawn to the halls of Congress to the biggest stories around the globe. And our primetime lineup of The Real Story with Riley Lewis, Real America with Dan Ball, Our Show and Fine Point with Chanell Rion will stack up against any primetime lineup on television. We are all incredibly well sourced and deeply committed to bringing you the truth. We add some opinions along the way, too. There's more work to do. Other cable providers that canceled our coverage and censorship spasms should take note. Twenty twenty five has been the year of OAN. We are embedded the Pentagon, our reporters travel with President Trump and his key staff. Voice of America wants to take our network global, and tonight we are on the largest cable provider in America. Thank you to the Spectrum Charter team for vindicating free speech. We look forward to bringing your subscribers years of excellent television.
Speaker 2: That's all the time we have.
Speaker 1: We'll be back tomorrow, nine eastern, sixth Pacific. Make sure to sign up for the OAN Live app if you haven't already, just go to OA and N dot com. Follow me on x at Matt Gates, stay right here. Fine Point with Shanell Rihanna is up next.
Speaker 10: Let's go get them