Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WIBs, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you very much, Dan Watkins. Welcome back everyone, as we are going to welcome back to our program. I guess we had about a month ago. Adelaide Parker. Adelaide Parker is a junior at Harvard, but she is also a writer and a commentator. I guess as an editorial assistant. How would you describe your role at the Boston Globe, Adelaide, we talked about it today, and I want to make sure that I don't put words into your mouth. You what's your title there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely so. My title is editorial assistant. But really, for anyone familiar with the Northeastern co op program, the positions all like a co op where sort of while in school all works the Globe for six months.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you, not only are you working at the Globe, but you wrote a front, well a covert piece for the Globe magazine entitled the Return of the College Republican. And I really was interested in for a whole bunch of reasons. Conservative student groups are back and they won't let you forget it. It's a really well written article, and if anyone hasn't read it, they should. You start off by telling what it was like on election night last November fifth, with a crowd of young Republicans or conservatives, however they want to describe themselves at Cambridge Queen's Head Pub in Harvard's Memorial Hall. Set the stage for what was it like that night? It must have been. I mean, the context is we have the Trump administration criticizing Harvard for squelching dissent and philosophical diversity in campus, and yet your story in the Globe would suggest that the atmosphere at Harvard has has has welcomed at least some young Republicans. Is there is This seems to me to be a little conflict here between what the Trump administration is doing. Well, maybe maybe it's complementary. How how do you view that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think that just during my time at Harvard over the last three years, I really have seen a lot of expansion in terms of, you know, the type of conservative thought on campus and also the type of conservative groups. When I first got to Harvard, all of the conservative and Republican student clubs on campus based on you know, the conversations I had with people who were involved in them seemed very anti Trump, and over the last say year and a half, there's been a lot of growth in these clubs that these clubs have also really changed direction to become much more pro Trump. And so I think it's been really interesting. It's really mirrored, honestly, the changes that we've seen in the national level Republican Party over the past say eight to ten years. Yeah, it's been fascinating. I think that there actually is a lot of political and intellectual diversity on campus.
Speaker 2: Well, you talk in the article about the right Wood swing. Tufts University research that forty percent of young women I'm not exactly sure how that's being defined, but forty percent say they voted for Trump in twenty twenty four compared to thirty three percent. So that's a jump over four years. And the shift is even larger among young men, a demographic Trump won. In twenty twenty four, fifty six percent of eighteen to twenty nine year old men said that they voted for Joe Biden. In twenty twenty four years later, the same proportion voted for Trump. That's a huge swings, that's an amazing swing. I don't know that the national media is recognizing that or giving it it's due, or even explaining it. How do you explain it?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think there are a lot of different things. I think that's just the profiles of the constituencies of the Democratic and Republican parties are changing. Especially based on conversation I've had with a lot of young Republicans at Harvard Beyond, it seems like the Republican Party, especially this last election cycle, has become a lot more broad tent. So there are a lot more communities of color that are voting Republicans. That have also been a change that has really affected each demographics and has shifted a lot of young voters who would traditionally be more liberal towards the Republican Party. I mean, I think that a lot of it also would be that if actually this last election there was a lot of economic uncertainty, and so especially young voters who are maybe about to enter the workforce or who are in college and are deciding, you know, what job they're going to have, you know, went against the incumbent party and voted Republican for economic reasons.
Speaker 2: Has how welcome. And again, I know that you're a journalist, we're talking to you as a journalist. But you also, I believe, are fairly conservative. You would identify yourself probably as a conservative. Am I correct on that.
Speaker 3: I actually would not really identify myself as a conservative, although I do come from Utah, so you know, the community I come from is largely very conservative. But I think I am a little a little more liberal than that.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we'll put you, We'll leave you somewhere in the center. However you want to define yourself, so your observations is it. One of the things that's that the Trump administration is concerned about is how uncomfortable Jewish students have been made to feel at Harvard's campus. There were two reports today I'm sure you're aware of them, are released by Harvard, including one which I guess the president of Harvard, Alan Garber, has said yesterday that it's renaming its Office of Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging to Community and Campus Life. So I know that may be semantics to some people, but that's the sort of thing that I think the Trump administration is is compelling Harvard and other you know, some of the great Avdy League schools, great schools around the country, to do. What is your sense of as the As the growth of young Republicans on Harvard grows, is it more are they more accepted, is it more comfortable? Can they, as it were, come out of the political closet and pronounce that they are Republicans or is there a stigma still associated with that.
Speaker 3: I think I've heard a lot of different narratives from a lot of different people. I think it really depends on the communities that you're in, but largely from a lot of people, what I've heard is that and this has been my experience as well, Like one on one, people are very you know, willing to have open conversations about pretty contentious political topics, and so normally when fears about silencing come in, that's when you're in you know, a group setting, whether that's a class or a club. And I think especially you know, if you're a freshman that's just come into a new place, it is really scary to talk about, you know, things that can be politically contentious in this group of people that you don't really know. But I have heard that climates have changed a lot over the past couple of years. I know that when I was talking with Michael Aubad, who was the president of the Harvard Republican Club this past year. In twenty twenty four, he said that when he first took over the club, he you know, would often get these responds from students who are interested in joining, who feared that they would, you know, maybe face social ostra sensation if they were you know, openly republican on campus. But that over the past couple of years that you know, responses really died down, and now people aren't really expressing that, which I think says a lot of good things about Harvard, you know, becoming more open, even among all of the national attention to free speech problems on campus.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean I count amongst my friends people with whom I disagree. I actually am more sometimes entertained in spending time with friends with whom I disagree. I will tell you one story that might be emblematic of Harvard. My son graduated from Harvard in two thousand and five, so that's now twenty years ago. And he was in the senior year in a small seminar with about I think twelve people, and they were talking about the media and excuse he was in two thousand and five, my mistake. He graduated from Harvard intoy ten. So he's they're doing this, and I had just started doing my talk show here and there was an an Arab American woman who began to talk about how she was listening to this talk show and she didn't like the talk show. Obviously, my son his ears perked up. Now in this class, I think was Joe Biden's niece, the daughter of Caroline Kennedy, and it was fairly sophisticated group of Harvard students, and so my son said, I knew it was coming, and so she talked. She was upset with me because I was pretty pro Israel and still remained very pro Israel. And so when he told me the story the next day, I said, well, well, invite her to come to the station. We were right across from We were on soldiers Field Road. So I met the woman. She came over and we had two or three lovely conversations and had a lovely lunch together. So it was a different time when when you were in elementary school. Before you you Harvard came up on the horizon for you, and I think it hopefully is a better time. Yeah. What I want to do, Adelaide is give people an opportunity to chat with you and ask you questions six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty, six one seven, nine, three, one ten thirty if you'd like to join the conversation. If you are a college student and happen to be particularly interested in this topic, we would love to hear from you. If you're somebody who is maybe feeling a little better about Harvard University after you've listened to Adelaide or read the Boston Magazine cover story that she wrote on that appeared on an ape on the April thirteenth Sunday magazine, The Return of the College Republican by Adelaide Parker. We'll be back on Nightside right after this quick commercial break.
Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray on Foster News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, My guest is Adelaide Parker, and she is a editorial assistant part of a co op program at Harvard. She writes the thing that's great about the fact that you're an editorial assistant. You also have this Globe magazine cover story in the Globe Magazine from April thirteenth, entitled the Return of the College Republican. Let's see if we can get some callers getting going here. Adelaide, I'd love to we talk about this issue. And it's really difficult to be a young conservative, or for that matter, a young Republican, or even for that matter, a young moderate when you're on a college campus where you find yourself deep in the minority. Literally from jump straight, let's go to Eunice in Cambridge. Eunice, thanks for joining us. You're on with Adelaide Parker. Go ahead, Unice five.
Speaker 4: So I'm Unice and I'm one of the students who was mentioned in Adelaide's recent article. And my question for Adelaide is what is at stake with the what the ongoing lawsuit and what are you hoping could be accomplished on the other side?
Speaker 2: Could I ask you, Unis I'm just curious. Are you're a student at Harvard.
Speaker 4: I assume yes, I'm a junior at the college you're.
Speaker 2: A junior as well, And are you involved politically on any side of the spectrum or are you simply there to to do as well as you can in college and move on. I'm just curious if you're politically active.
Speaker 4: Oh, that founded like a charge question.
Speaker 2: That I get paid a lot of money. That's what my job is. I get paid money to ask short questions. Charge questions, go right ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, I was involved in campus and partisan paul except since I got here. But I am an oddball. I would not identify myself as a capital C conservative, as I told Addie when she interviewed me, I'm a capital C Christian who is a lowercase C conservative. Okay, so I'd say I'm not that representative of Republicans on campus or most of the students who identify as conservative here. I was looped into the Republican Club, but after the article, I'm no longer on their mailing list.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, And so what about the I'm not trying to steal Adelaide's tide, but what about the article? Decided of this? You know it led you to the decision to remove yourself from the mailing list.
Speaker 4: I criticized the Trump endorsement, and that was the portion of the interview that got published.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you criticized the Trump endorsement, And did you get some blowback, if you will, from the the members of the club.
Speaker 4: It was completely silent and.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let's why did you just rephrase your question for Adelaide? I know I've I took us down a little bit of a rabbit hole, but I find it interesting to talk to young students. Go ahead, your question for Adelaide.
Speaker 4: Again is my question about the lawsuit. So what is that stake here? What do you hope could be accomplished on the other end of what is obviously a very scary situation for the stakeholders on our campus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if I assume you're referring to the lawsuits from Harvard to get funding back from the Trump administration, yes, yeah, I mean I think that, you know, one thing that has really made us research and education so successful the past century is this partnership that our universities and government have had. And I know that I, like personally have benefited from a lot of the research money that has come into Harvard.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, whether I'm doing research for my thesis, which I'll be doing over the summer, or you know, whether I'm learning from these professors who have their projects funded by this research money. And so I think, you know, from my perspective being a student on campus, I you know, definitely understand a lot of the issues people have with free speech and anti semitism on campus. You know, obviously, anti Semitic behavior is never okay. But I think that you know, cutting this research money really is not something that is helping anyone. I think it's just going to you know, damage this relationship between universities and the government and ultimately hurt the quality of scholarship and research these universities are putting out without really getting at the problems that the universities and the government need to be focusing on. So I think a lot of students are really worried about you know, that reallyationship being damaging and about you know, opportunities they might have and you know, cool things the school might do, whether that's you know, medical research, legal research, research in all areas being cut.
Speaker 2: Can I ask both of you the same question. Yeah, I take that as a yes. So today the president of Harvard, I guess yesterday announced that they were going to change the naming of the Office of Equity diversity Inclusion and belonging to the Office of Community and Campus Life. Is that significant in your mind, a good step or is it simply semantics? Either one of you can answer or both. Actually I hope.
Speaker 4: I hear Unis you can go first a few Blake, I have an auder take about this change. Well, Number one, I was a former student of President Garber, so I called him Professor Carper. He is a phenomenal educator and scholar. But moving on from that, I think even regardless of how the lawsuit turns out, the Trump administration needs to have some even minor semantic victories from this or else. The administration is not going to yield on issues of funding or other incredibly stupid demands that they made on our university. So if this is one win that they could take and claim as a victory on their part, I thought it would be pretty strategic for Harvard to do that. They're basically committed to the same values to change his name. Now, is that offensive to students who like utilize the office for important reasons? Yes, but that was sort of my reaction to the change.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you see it more as a semantical change, uh, a title which would draw less less criticism community and campus life. Maybe it's a more universal title. What about you, Atelette? Your response to that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I myself have never utilized this office before, so I don't think that I am super well equipped to speak about, you know what, working with it is like, I have heard from a lot of people on campus that they've received a lot of very valuable support. From what I've heard from people and professors, it does seem like a lot of the change is semantic. And I've also heard that, you know, some people are hopeful that by expanding the office that will maybe be able to deal with forms of prejudice that didn't have delineated channels under the office as it was before, like anti semitism or Islamophobia. But I also have heard from other students that, you know, they feel like with this change, you know that and the specific identity based discrimination that they have faced at Harvard is something that the university is not really focusing on combating. And so I think that from what I've heard, I guess my opinion now that it would be that it seems to mostly be semantic. But I think it's very important that Harvard like continues to make resources available to students and continues to combat discrimination in all forms, and also just continues to make students, especially those who've utilized this office before, really feel like they are valued.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just wish that Harvard, when they looked at the word diversity, they looked beyond the obvious aspects of diversity, you know, ethnic background and economic background and all of those various backgrounds, but also just philosophical diversity, because I think it's a more exciting place if you're in a classroom, where as opposed to having you know, fifteen students all kind of nodding their head like bobble heads and regurgitating what the professor's telling them. Obviously, in math, class two and two will always be four. But when you get into the so called softer sciences, you know, sociology and maybe even history and analysis, it's better to have I think some spirited conversations, and I think that is probably a step in the right direction. UNUS, thank you very much for calling in tonight. I hope you continue to listen to our program, and I am delighted that you took the time to join us and come on back soon.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you for letting me participate.
Speaker 2: My I thank you, Adelaide. You're going to stick with us. We got a newscast, we get more callers, and also we have Harvey Silverglade who's going to join us. Harvey is a graduate of Harvard Princeton and Harvard law school and has been very much involved in these these sorts of questions. He was a founder of the fire of the Foundation of Individual Rights and Education. I'm sure that you're familiar with that group. And we'll continue our conversation right after the news at the bottom of the hour. Stay with us. My guest is Adelaide Parker, Harvard junior, and she is an editorial assistant at the Boston Globe, but wrote a really interesting cover story for the Globe magazine Sunday Globe Magazine on April thirteenth. Back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on w Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, let me get another I believe also a Harvard student Leo and Cambridge Leo. I think I know who this is from the article. Welcome. How are you sir?
Speaker 6: I'm doing very well. How are you good?
Speaker 2: Are you the president of Young Republicans over there?
Speaker 6: I am the president of Harvard Republican.
Speaker 2: Cup Yeah, okay, Harvard Republican Club. I'm sorry I used to be called Young Republicans. I apologize. Well, you're with Adelaide Parker. Go right ahead. What's your co question or comment?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I was just we had this interview and I was sort of talking about the current situation Harvard. We had a debate against the Democrats on issues of higher education and on issues of the current situation sort of here, and I think the main sort of point what we're putting out is that, you know, while there's this national situation of the Trump administration and they're sort of ways into good seeing with higher education institutions on issues free speech. Really the question is building institutions and getting people on campus who are at these liberal places that are conservative and allowing them to build their own things and not have to be sort of beholden to this administrative processes that Harvard has created. And I think we've done that very well and are sort of continue to do that. And so I guess for the government, like there are good people here and that you should if we put pressure, it should be hiring more conservative professors. And ser've got in the administration, so.
Speaker 2: You then are supportive of what the administration is attempting to compel Harvard to do, and of course Harvard is resisting that compulsion.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, I think the tactics of the negotiation aside, which is sort of a thing I'll leave that up to the administration. And I'm not a lawyer nor a doctor. So these are the issues I don't get into. I know the situation on the ground, which is that there are no conservative professors, or if there are, there's maybe one or two in the undergrad area. And there are a huge amount of programs at the university sponsors that are, you know, against sort of what federal dollars should be used for. And there are also a lot of uh, there's a lot of sort of pressure against student organizations that are pushing these. In the past, we weren't allowed to bring anyone on the Republican side into the Institute of Politics until recently when pressure was put on to reverse the sort.
Speaker 2: That's that is wrong. Obviously. Let me ask you this, Leo, are you a junior senior? What year are you? Junior? Junior? Okay? Has the campus changed all of us? Remember the performance or the terrible performance of Claudine Gay, the former president of Harvard, in front of Congress and in front of congress Woman's Stephonics Committee a year ago in December. I think that was a moment in time when Harvard really realized things were out of control. And I don't know if you agree with me on that, and I love to know what Adelaide thinks as well. But it seems to me that Harvard is probably a little bit more opened today as a consequence of that, as well as the election of Donald Trump, and you know, may become a little bit more representative and have diversity all of all sorts, including philosophical and political diversity.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'd love that to be true, and I think there is a there's a possibility it will change. But I see a lot of the sort of programs they put in place before sort of this real last month of chaos. A lot of these programs were very, very formative, like the Intellectual Vitality Initiative, where you know, Intellectual Vitality is bringing in Jordan Klepperham and whose entire career is making fun of sir viral Trump supporters are bringing in sort of making these huge administrative processes when really the best way to support the students is to have good professors, which we have a lot of professors are not really the problem is to have less administration and hire conservative professors. Hired professors who teach sort of the things that Harvard used to and that they've through these restrictive you know, dea hiring processes, didn't don't have these professors anymore. That's the way to support the students, not through these sort of broad administrative programs.
Speaker 2: Let me get Adelaide in here. Adelaide, you obviously know Leo. You interviewed him for your for your for your call him. Obviously he's seeing this as an opportunity for some significant change. Do you think there will be a lot of resistance amongst faculty administration to what Leo's talking about? Or do you think it's time now for Harvard to broadened the scope of the backgrounds of the professors and introduced the concept of philosophical diversities to the student body as well as all other types of diversity.
Speaker 3: I think that from the conversations I've had with professors, a lot of them do want more intellectual diversity on campus. I think that a lot of it has to do with how hiring processes work. I've heard that, you know, the way that those work, combined with the fact that a lot of people who graduate with PhDs are overwhelmingly liberal, has like funneled a lot of more liberal professors into Harvard. So I would imagine that, you know, for more of this viewpoint diversity to take place, there would need to be some changes to the way that the faculty hiring process works, although I'm not quite sure what would have to happen, but from the people I've spoken to most of the professors I've met, you know, especially in departments like government where people start politics, they're very open to, you know, having conversations with people across the political spectrum. I think that in terms of intellectual vitality initiatives, I think that the administration really does want to make a change, but I think it's hard when a lot of that change is, you know, stuff that's trying to be put on students from the top down. And I think that, you know, as Leo was saying, for more viewpoint diversity to take hold on campus, a lot of that does need to come from student led initiatives rather than these programs that administrators are creating, which, you know, even if creative and good faith, can maybe feel a bit hollow to students.
Speaker 2: Of course, the problem is the administrators are there forever, they tell you, faculty are there forever, and most students are there for four years Leo, I want to have you stay with us, Adelaide, obviously, I want you to stay with us. We're going to bring Harvey Silvig later to this conversation. If you folks don't know Harvey, Harvey has been has run for the board of bar overseas. He's a princeton undergrad Harvard Law School. One of the most brilliant lawyers I've known. He is very difficult to pin down politically. He is a colleague and a supporter and a friend of Steve Pinker, a Harvard professor who spoke out against what the Trump administration is attempting to impose on Harvard, but has been an active academic on campus for exactly the causes that we're talking about. I got to take a very quick commercial break. We'll bring Harvey Silverglate back, and we'll wrap it up with you guys with Harvey, because this is someone who I think should be speaking at Harvard every year. But we'll be back. He should be doing a commencement address. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on wz Boston's news radio, and.
Speaker 2: We're talking with a couple of Harvard university students. Junior Adelaide Parker, who was an editorial assistant at the Boston Globe, wrote a Boston GLD magazine story of cover story on April thirteenth. Leo Kerner, who is the president of the Harvard Republican Club, joined now by Harvey Silverglade. Harvey, you and I have been friends a long time. We see this very similarly in terms of making a free speech important at a campus and different ideas important. Say alone to my student callers, my guest, Adelaie Parker and Leo Corner.
Speaker 5: Hello, You're a lot younger than I graduated at Harvard Law School in nineteen sixty seven, so I'm getting along in years. But I have to say that the Adelaide sounds more like a Eisenhower and Romney Republican Trump Republican that's.
Speaker 2: Which you would probably agree with that, Okay, I think, Adelaide, that is that okay for your appellation.
Speaker 3: I you know, honestly, probably wouldn't consider myself a Republican.
Speaker 6: Okay, although I.
Speaker 3: Have a lot of respect from it. Robney is a fellow Utahn.
Speaker 2: Okay, and go ahead, how have you wanted? Leo is a Trump? I support a Republican. I believe, correct, Leo, Julia's still here. We lost Lea. Yes, So okay? Is that yes? Do you still hear that you're a Trump Republican?
Speaker 6: I am a Trump Republican.
Speaker 2: All right, Harvey, go ahead that you've got to go ahead. You tell them a little bit about your background and fire and all of the organizations you've been involved with.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: Well. I wrote the Shadow University in the nineteen ninety eight and I started the Foundation of the Eral Rights and Education in nineteen ninety nine, which is aimed at protecting free speech and academic freedom on campuses. And I've been interested in this problem for a long time. But today, by coincidence, I wrote a letter to Alan Garber, the President of Harvard, and to John Manning of the Provosts. Dear Allen and John in close, please find my check in the amount of one thousand dollars payable to the President Fellows of Harvard College. It's my intention to send such a check on the first of every month until the coming I says President's term has ended. I retie that this is a drop in the bucket when viewed in the context of the funds as the Trump administration is withheld. There's a penalty for Harvard's refusal to bend its knee. But I suspect that my donation will be supplemented by the donations of thousands and thousands of other alumni and other donators. In the future. I will send my monthly checks to the fundraising office, and I'm sending this one to you to make clear my support for Harvard in this dark moment of our nation's history. I expect the moment will pass and or will return to normal. Until then, however, I will continue to send monthly checks. Sincerely, Harvey's to the wait, and I'm a great fan of Stephen Pinker, a conservative who is trying to steer Harvard away from its diversity, equity and inclusion nonsense.
Speaker 2: By the way, Harvard, you know that yesterday Harvard University said that they had changed the Office of Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging to simply community and campus Life. Are you aware of that, right?
Speaker 5: I'm aware of that. I'm a reader of the Harvard Crimson. I'm aware of that. I hope that that is more than just a change in title. I hope that that's a substance of change diversity, the inclusion is nonsense. But it's up to Harvard to make the changes, not up to the Trump administration. So I'm a great fan of Garbler and Manning drawing the line.
Speaker 2: All right, Leo or adelaide, do you have any question for Harvey. I'd like to give you an opportunity, as you know, young Harvard students, to talk to an older Harvard student who has been in the front lines of this fight of academic freedom, and Harvey is a traditional liberal. Would be the way that Harvey would describe himself.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: Either, if you want to ask ament make a comment or question, go ahead. We only got a couple on this left.
Speaker 6: I mean I might ask. I mean, I remember just last year that there was a you know, sort of rating of the free speech ratings of universities, and Harvard was put at the bottom of the free speech ratings. And that was because, yeah, by fire. And it wasn't just because they were going around shutting things down. It was because there are no professors who teach anything beyond the center. Right. There was very few institutional support for bringing in conservative people. The IOP explicitly forbade it due to election questions, and there was just a general feeling that Harvard was a place that people didn't feel comfortable talking. And now with the administration, the first time in probably sixty years that a right wing administration has made a demand of a lefting institution. The left makes demands of institution.
Speaker 5: All the time.
Speaker 6: Hillsdale doesn't take federal funding, et cetera. The first time a right wing person does that, suddenly the entirety of academia shocks. I think this is a sort of the shoe was on one foot for one for a long time, and just to take it off for a moment to see what happens again, the negotiation tactics. I don't know if it's not my sort of wheelhouse, but to see, with all due respect Harvard, Harvard has a long way to go, but not by the Trump administration's dictation. It'spected voluntarily pressure from faculty, pressure from alumni, but not pressure from the White House.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that's a reasonable position, Adelaide. I assume you would find yourself comfortable with that position.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I would say I agree with that. And I think that a lot of this pressure is being felt, you know, even at universities that aren't as global as as Harvard. I have a lot of friends at the University of Utah doing you know, engineering research there who you know, feel like funding is being cut for their research, and a lot of that, you know it is coming from these university policies that the Trump administration is making. And so I think, to be honest too, at Harvard, you know, a lot of institutions of higher education, including ones that aren't quite as liberal as Harvard is, are experiencing negative consequences.
Speaker 2: It's going to be an interesting process, that is for sure. I really want to thank Harvey as always for joining us, and I want to thank Adelaide for what you did. What you do with the Globe. The Globe has opened up a little bit of today. I read the paper and there was every negative story about Trump and the Globe. The only the only story that the Globe didn't cover was the Philadelphia Eagles visiting the White House yesterday. But I guarantee you if the Eagles had decided not to visit at the White House, Leo, that would have been a front page story on the Globe and Leo the president the president. So, Leo, you always have an opportunity to tell your membership about this show. As always, I thank all of you. Harvey, great friend for many years. Thank you so much for adding to the conversation. Leo, feel free keep in touch and Adelaide, I definitely want to keep in touch with you and follow your career as a journalist. Thank you all very much. We're going to continue the conversation on the other side and talk about Trump's hundred days, first hundred days, and a couple of other issues as well, because there's a lot to talk about. Thanks everyone, you've been great. It's been a really good hour of radio. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Great, thank you, thank you very welcome.
Speaker 2: Thanks Harvey talk soon back right after the ten o'clock news on Night Side. We are going to continue the conversation here. We're going to talk about President Trump's first hundred days. He had a big rally today and tonight rather in Michigan. I think it's a mixed report card. I'd love to hear what all of you think back on Nightside after this