Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 1: Are get off our show. Idiots. The kids are playing or trail out crying. The coaches are screwing it up.
Speaker 3: Gold Play inter Murals, Brother, gold Play inn Murals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started. Another week here Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's us. My name is Nick Coffee. The company man John Alden alongside today. As I mentioned, we're getting another week started. And what a weekend it was. My weekend was not super eventful. I mean I was busy mostly doing families stuff and that was great. But how about the weather. I'm not sure we've had a weekend in August that was as pleasant as what we got on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 2: It's not terrible. I mean it's like eighty one. For some reason, it does feel warmer than it did the last few days, but it's still nice. Comparatively speaking, I feel like August is the worst month of the summer. By the time you get to August, I feel like, and I could just be making this up that the humidity is as bad as it as it is at any point throughout the year. Summer is kind of over. I mean, a lot of kids are back in school, so the summer vibes just aren't what they are whenever you're out. You know, I've been a long time since I've been able to relate to that, right, I haven't had summer break in, you know, nearly twenty years. But August is usually I feel like, just miserable. But with humidity, we're getting closer to football season. You start to see the Halloween stuff up in stores, and you won fall I do. I'm sure everybody is different as far as what they prefer, but man, August usually is brutal. But man, Friday, Saturday, Sunday was It was amazing, absolutely amazing outside. Not sure what it looks like the rest of the week, but yeah, that was awesome. Speaking of awesome, hopefully we have an awesome show today. I mean, we're gonna try that's what we try to do every day, and I like to think that we do, in fact, have an awesome show every single day. But you know what, that may not be true. There may be days where maybe it's not awesome. But today we're gonna do what we always do and at least attempt to make it awesome. We got a couple of guests go and join us. In fact, we have a guest joining us a little earlier than usual. We don't usually do three o'clock guests. I like to, you know, ease in the first hour, kind of set the table. But we are going to bring in mister Kendrick Haskins from Wave three, get his thoughts on a variety of things. Kendrick, I hope will be a regular for us. I haven't given him his contract offer just yet. I'm not sure if we have enough, you know, enough on our end to make it worth his while. But you know, he's been giving us his time anytime we ask, and we're gonna hope that continues to be the arrangement that he that he's willing to honor. And then we'll talk some Louisville football coming up in the five o'clock hour, around five point thirty we'll talk to Alex Cupper, former Louisville cardinal. He our He doesn't know it yet. I doubt it's on his resume. It should be, should be on his business card. He is our official Louisville football correspondent, a guy who can give us some perspective. You know that, you know, you know that that I can't give you that a lot of people listening probably can't give because Cup was a part of it, right, he was a guy who played here four years, had a hell of a career, and uh was a part of that Sugar Bowl team and obviously still close to the program. Looking forward to getting his thoughts because you know, I I don't know if I feel like Louisville is being slept on, overlooked, disrespected. You know, there's all kinds of different ways to look at it, because I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: It's not genuine, right. I tried a couple weeks ago when the coaches poll came out to determine it's Louisville being disrespected, and I was having a manufacture some hate that really wasn't there, because it's not crazy to leave them outside the top twenty five and for what it's worth They were just outside of the top twenty five in the coaches poll, and then today the Ape pole came out and they are at number twenty six. If you're you know, if you look at those that receive votes and try to rank from there, they are the first team left out of the top twenty five, which is, honestly, it's probably fair, right, I think they could be better than that. I think they got a chance to be pretty good. But uh, you know, I can't really get a feel, like if you were trying to describe the way that the objective folks who cover college football, a consensus among those people how they're looking at Louisville, I don't think anybody's going to say anything strong one way or the other. Like you might find somebody that's willing to claim they're a dark horse to maybe win the ACC But can you be called a dark horse if you were in the championship game a year ago? And when I think about that, that's where I'm like, Okay, well they are kind of being disrespected, right or I don't know. I mean it feels forced when I say that. But again, they played in the championship game a year ago and I'm well aware that the schedule benefited them in conference play, right, Like they did not have to play Florida State or Clemson in the regular season, who were the two best teams in the league, even though Clemson, of course, you know, took at a little bit of a step back, but teams that were pretty good last year that are ranked ahead of them, they beat them last year Miami and NC State by the way, both those games they won on the road. So you know, like I kind of feel like they should be getting getting a little bit more love, but it's not to the point where I can where I can say they're being like disrespected. I just feel like that's a little bit of a little bit of a force. So we'll talk to some football coming up a little bit later on with Cup, but we'll get to it before we bring him in at five thirty. Because Jeff brom talked after the first fall camp scrimmage on Saturday, and it was a really good nine to ten minute Q and A with coach Brohm, and it reminded me that we're kind of learning a little bit about Jeff Brahm right now because this is the first time we're seeing him in this position. Right, he's entering not his first season, right, not the honeymoon. He did pretty damn good in year one, which obviously that confirmed what fans I think had in mind when Jeff was hired. Okay, we're going to be better than we were with that other guy. And also we can embrace expectations. He's going to be into that, meaning he is not someone that's going to be at any point telling folks to kind of kind of calm down if you're expecting to win and have a special season, because he's not wired like that. He's a competitor again, unlike the other guy we had around here before him. But I felt like what we heard from Jeff, I feel like he's pretty I mean, what you see is what you get. I don't think there's a whole lot of press conference strategy on his end to send a message to the media or to fans or to his players. Like I think Jeff's a pretty direct guy. What you see is which you get. So that has me not worried because he challenged his guys. I believe in his Q and A after his scrimmage on Saturday, and it may not have been strategic where he was like here we go. I didn't see enough today, So I'm really once I get in front of these cameras, once I get in front of these microphones, I'm gonna really let these guys know that I'm not pleased and I want to see more. He didn't say that. He really never said he wasn't pleased, but he did emphasize he needs more playmakers to emerge. So I'm used to hearing coaches say that, and I'm like, well, you know what, he's probably loving what he's seeing, but he's just trying to keep these guys continuously working hard. Right, Don't get comfortable you balled out today, But I'm gonna make it clear when I talked to the media that I wasn't really happy with what I saw, and I want you guys to know you got to do better. Like I don't know Jeff personally on that level to know if like that's I mean again, I think from what I do know about him, which you sees what you get, like, I don't really think he's into that kind of thing where he's gonna go out of his way to try to fire guys up with a press conference quote, So it probably was legitimate, meaning that he was, in fact, a little bit underwhelmed. I don't want to put words in his mouth. We'll let you guys hear it for yourself, but he did sort of indicate that he was hoping that in this type of setting, which, by the way, they have, like I don't know, four of these scrimmages that are like real games. I mean, they treat them like real games. They bring in refs, and I mean they it's live action. You know, there's I mean, I'm sure there's some some things they do differently than a real game to prevent injury and whatnot, especially to your quarterback. But I mean when they have these these weekend scrimmages, that's that's a chance for the coaches to kind of see, Okay, we're not playing a real game, but this is as close as it gets with the lights on. Let's see who performs. Let's see who really you know, can can can show in a real game situation, at least as close as you can get to it. Let's see if what we're seeing practice translates and these guys really have gotten better, or maybe there's somebody that you're not seeing enough out of him practice. You kind of feel like, you know what, I expected this guy to really emerge. He hasn't done it yet. Well maybe when you get to these type of scrimmages that's when it happens, right, So I think he is being genuine and it doesn't have me worried, but you know, it is just it reminded me that last year, man, it was it was the honeymoon, right. I think fans were so damn excited that Jeff Bram was here and he was our coach that you just knew you were going to be better than what we were with Sadderfield, right probably, and you knew the schedules set up really nicely. So that's why for me it was such a fun ride that even though Louisville legitimately put themselves in a phenomenal situation after knocking off Notre Dame, moving to five and zero on the season, I still wasn't thinking, oh, man, they might sneak in the playoff, can they win the ACC? I felt like I should have been doing that, but I wasn't, mostly just because it was a fun ride that I was enjoying. I was living in the moment. Jeff Bram's here and he's off to a great start. We talked about it all summer. Man, if they take care of business, they could ho notre name. That could be a big time matchup. Maybe they get game Day, maybe that's Jeff's first big time win. And sure enough it all played out. It was like a dream. So you know, this year, we're just kind of you know, I'm viewing it a little bit differently, right. That's why when I see, like last year, when Louisville was picked to finish what seventh or eight in the preseason poll, I felt like that was off and they could certainly be better than that. But you never know, right, it's a new season. It's almost to give you the old cliche. It felt like house money. So now there's expectations, like it or not. You win ten games in year one and you put together the roster that you've put together. I think fans are not expecting necessarily ten wins or it's a failed season, because I think that'd be foolish. But hearing him, you know, kind of calling out guys or maybe not calling them out, just being blatantly honest, like, hey, I need more guys to emerge. I didn't see enough I wanted to see more. You know, maybe that's just the honest truth. So we talks some louisvill football today. On the Kentucky side, Marks did finally discuss a ten win season that was vacated that happened a couple of weeks ago. It sounds like he was pretty hush hush about it because his bosses told him to. I did not realize it until we had a we had Kent uh, yeah, Ken Spencer on last week who Who? Because I was out of I was on vacation the week that that news broke. I didn't realize that that came out like after Kentucky's media day, like the meaning the day of like everybody showed up, cameras are there, every you know, every honk in Lexington's there to just stroke on Mark stoops and talk about how great he is and just smile at him while they ask him questions. And then you know, those guys leave and and then then the news comes out. It just felt, you know, I'm not gonna put words in anybody else's mouth that that that that you know, we're there, but Kent. You can go back and listen to the podcast. I think he kind of he kind of insinuated that it was kind of like, you know, just off to to know that that big news is coming. Have everybody there. There's your chance to talk about it and then and then announce it and then have it come out. But I don't think Stoops said anything wrong in addressing it today. Uh And what I what I what I can't seem to figure out is with with Mark Stoops, I kind of feel like anytime that there are really realistic expectations for Kentucky football. And when I see realistic expectations, I mean just you know, continue to be not at the bottom of the league, right, certainly go to a bowl game, you know, beat the teams you're supposed to beat, maybe steal one you're not supposed to win, right, like put yourself. I mean again, like realistic expectations. I think for Kentucky every year should be about seven and five, maybe eight and four. But you know, but I say that knowing they've had ten win seasons. So Anyways, what I can't figure out is to Kentucky, does Kentucky football prefer to be like slept On because they're not getting a whole lot of love. I mean, they get votes in the preseason Coaches Poll an eight P poll, and honestly, I think that's just because of the respect that Mark Stoops has has generated over time. I don't think anybody thinks they're going to be great, but you know what, we got some other let's let's let's you know, let's give them a vote. That kind of stuff, because if you go back and look Kentucky's best seasons, I feel like have been whenever there weren't big time expectations, and when there are, I guess higher expectations than what you've typically seen throughout the history of Kentucky football. And you hear their coaches out there talking about being disrespected, the big dog. Vince Merrill's barking about, you know, all the haters and you know, doing big dog stuff whatever that is, Like that's usually whenever they fall flat, Like when Will Levis came back to school and they lost to Vandy at home, right, they thought Will Levis was a Heisman contender. You know, they had their first big opportunity to get a big win, couldn't do it against Ole Miss. So I actually think we all want to hear our teams talked about in July and August is a team to look out for. Don't sleep on them, don't sleep bog Jeff Braum and Mark Stoops. These guys, man, they got you know, like you. You want to hear that, right because he gets you excited. But I think both programs have historically been better when they can play us against the world kind of thing. And I'm not even I'm not even claiming that either side can do that right now, but I think both fan bases again, look at these rankings and they see Iowa at twenty five. We're better than Iowa. I will say this, there is one team I continue to see ranked in the top twenty five and its pissing me off. N C State. I have respect for Dave Doran. They finished the season strong, but like they brought in that quarterback from Coastal Carolina, and everybody thinks Dave Doran's about the you know, about to shock the world and put them in the playoff. Come on, get out of here. Jeff Brom over Dave Dorian all day. Louisville's roster right now, over NCY State's roster all day. But apparently the voters don't see it that way. Anyways. We want to be loved on and tabbed as a team to look out for, but I actually think not only have we always been better when it's the other way around, it's actually more fun when you can sneak up and shock some people and make a statement. All right, So again we're loaded today. Hopefully you guys stick with us. We'll do some Olympic recap. I don't have a lot to share because I didn't watch a whole lot of the Olympics, but I will tell you this. I watched the gold medal game on Saturday along with you know, a bunch of other people across the planet, and that was so awesome to see because it kind of feel like what Steph Curry did watching him just really do what Steph Curry does, right, make shots that nobody else should ever even think about taking. He takes bad shots, and you have to and you know, you give it a second. If you if you've watched Steph over the years, you can think back and say to yourself, you know what, that's probably the best play they could have. They could have ran like, that's that's actually a good strategic move there, knowing that if anybody else took that shot, they might have been kicked off the team, but that's what Steph Curry does. He makes insane shots. He's a heck of a player. And Steph's legacy has been talked about quite a bit. But I feel like him winning the title post KD and him having that moment in the Olympics where it was him. He played so well in those last two as they don't win it without him. I kind of feel like anybody that's out there, And I guess I've been a Steph hater before I should. I mean, I don't hate the guy. I don't think he's a I don't think he's a hard guy to like. To me, he's kind of like Patrick Mahomes in a way. He's kind of been the face of his league, has had a lot of success, seems like a good enough dude, not really any controversy surrounding him. I mean, even with Mahomes, he's had controversial people around him and he stayed super clean. His brother's a clown. His wife seems like the worst. With Steph. You know, his wife she kind of sucks too. I mean she she seems very unlikable, and she certainly was during the Golden State Cleveland rivalry. But like Steph, seems like an awesome dude, and he's worked his ass off. He's not somebody you look at from a physical standpoint and say, well, I mean we can work our we can work our ass off in the gym twenty four to seven. This guy's just he's been given, you know, God given talent and size and athleticism we'll never get which clearly he has good jeans. His dad was a great NBA player too, But like Steph isn't physically imposing. I mean, if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes, I wouldn't believe he could dunk just watching him play. He can't dunk, by the way, But I thought it was awesome to see, And like, I need an Olympics moment, because when I think back on like Olympics over the years, I've just I couldn't think of one specific time where I was watching the Olympics and I thought, oh, hell yeah, I feel so proud to be an American. I mean I always feel proud to be an American every day, but like when it comes to Olympics, I just have never had a moment. And because they had that close call last week against against Serbia where they were down eighteen points I think it was, and then they were in a close game where they needed Steph to do Steph things. It gave me my first Olympic moment to where I feel like, you know what, I remember, I'll remember where I was when I watched that. So that was really cool to see. And again, I feel like anybody that acts as if Steph Curry is not legitimately in the conversation as far as one of the best players ever, you're wrong. I'm not saying he's the best. Clearly he's not the most talented. Others have accomplished more. I mean, I still think you put Jordan, you put Lebron, and you know, there's others that clearly belong in that conversation, in that elite tier, and there's gonna be hesitancy to put Steph in there. I was someone that for the longest time would hesitate. I'm like, no, come on, no, But how can you not look at his accomplishments. How can you not say that Steph Curry's in that elite tier is one of the best players of all time.
Speaker 1: He is.
Speaker 2: He's special.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: If you guys want to join us on the show today, that would make you special. Five two five seventy nine hundred is the number. If you want to give us a call, you can text in on the Llenn Federal Credit Union tex line five O two sixty five to three zero seven ninety. Hope to hear from you, guys. We'd like to make it fun and interactive here on the show, and we are going to be joined, as I mentioned, coming up here, uh in about ten minutes or so by the one of the only, mister Kendrick Haskins of Way three. I'm curious to get his thoughts on a variety of things. But before we do that, I will say this I had for those of you that care, and it's probably not many of you. I feel like this past weekend was my first time really tested as a sports parent, as like as a as a you know, a sports dad. Not to say that moms can't be, you know, just as passionate into it. In fact most of them are. But my son had his first flag football game on Saturday afternoon and big victory for the Overdell Chiefs. I mean, just to complete I mean, those poor kids, the Brooks Saints man, they I don't know if they'll play again, I mean it was it was bad. It was a beat down you hate. I mean, you know, it was nice to see the domination on the overdel In fact, it was a clean sweep for the organization flag little Bullets. I don't know if they call it like a team B team whatever that you know, every team within the organization of the Overdell Chiefs got the dub at the brook Saints Expense on Saturday in Shepperdsville, Kentucky. I'm sure a lot of you heard about it. I'm sure god just as much coverage as the Olympic Action did. But before I ever knew that a woman would let me give her children, I knew I would potentially have some trouble as a sports dad because I'm a super competitive person. It's like a I think at times it's helped me in life, but at times it's also been it's been an issue for me. I mean I've not like, you know, it's like I've lost my mind, but like I'm all in with something or I'm not into it at all. So like I always worried, like if my son played and he did it just to have fun, he did it just to hang out with his friends, there's nothing wrong with that. That's awesome, But like I'm gonna be in that weird spot like why aren't you working harder? Why are you smiling? You just missed six straight shots, like I gotta get you know, And honestly, some of the best advice I got about that has been true to this point, and it was from the one and the only Tony Venette who provides better wisdom when it comes to parenting than John Anthony Venetti. I mean, he's a great father himself, and I say that sincerely. He's got a lot to be proud of with his kids, and he's given me a lot of great advice over the years. But he always said, look at you, don't even think about it, and he's right. Until Saturday he didn't start. Oh no, he didn't start. Had him on defense, you know, and then you know, I realized, well, it's not really about starting and not starting. They have two balanced units that they put together, and you you play defense for a quarter, then you play offense like it's you know, it wasn't as if he got benched. It wasn't as if they've got a depth chart. We've got four year old kids running I mean, he just turned four two months ago. I mean, he's he's I mean he and he's having fun. But I'm thinking, why wasn't he in the game? Game started? Why is he not out there? What's going on here? And then you know at halftime, the kids are getting water. A lot of parents are just trying to keep their kids into it, like, hey, you know, let's you know, just like just your kids finishing the game. Being into it at this age is actually a win for everybody. A lot of them, you know, want to eat grass and roll around like it there. They're young kids. So you know, he ended up getting They gave him the handoff to try to convert on a two point conversion, and he was looking over at us because he knew he was about to get the ball, so he ran and dropped the handoff wasn't clean, And I'm feeling like, oh my gosh, well there go ahead. Maybe we'll get him into something else. Maybe maybe, maybe maybe he'll join the debate team. Hey maybe maybe we'll maybe he could start a podcast and he'll he didn't need to play sports and just talk about it. Like I'm kind of I think I'm gonna be a madman, which is awful. Like what I just described and told everybody makes me sound like a real scumback. But you know, once they started winning, he was jumping up and down, cheering on his teammates who were scoring touchdowns. He was having fun. And then I thought to myself, what is wrong with you talking about myself, not my son, which it would have been badly. What are you cheering for? You didn't score touchdown. You go to bed. When we get home, You're gonna work hard. Like those thoughts have never entered my mind and they never will. I am being tongue in cheek here to an extent, but for some reason, it was just different. Like my daughter, she special needs, and she's played, she's had gymnastics, she's she's uh, she's been in the Miracle League, which is baseball, and it's been a lot of fun. And Mason, my son, he's played t ball for two years now. But that's like, first of all, baseball is just different. I mean, and they don't even they don't even track outs. Every kid gets to bat one time during the during you know, one time or two times during the lineup or whatever. But like football man, they got they got cool ash jerseys, They you know, they got a PA system. I mean, we got a packed crowd, we got prime time. We played at seven thirty on Saturday night, John, that's prime time under the lights, four year old game bags. Yeah there, So it was. It was a lot of fun. But uh, I felt I felt like the biggest scumback since Saturday, just for like thirty seconds of the entire game, me having thoughts of like, well, I know what we're doing. We get home, he's not He's not going to bed until he successfully takes the hand off without dropping the ball for three hundred times. Like I again, it's just like these little like spasms or something because I'm not going to be that guy. But like it was just it was a first time experience for me, and you know, hopefully I can just can I can contain myself, all right. Kendrick Haskins is going to join us, coming up on the other side from way three sports stick around, don't go anywhere, keep it locked, keep it where you got it, hang tight, anything else? Any others I mentioned? I think I hit them all right here on Sports Talk seven ninety it's right Coffee and Company rolling along here on Sports Talk seven ninety. You don't forget you could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. And we now bring in a special guest. He's mister Kendrick Haskins from Wave three Sports. Kendrick, how we doing, brother?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great. Just turn a year older yesterday, so it's been a good weekend.
Speaker 2: Shout out to you.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: You know you're you're You're not that old, right, Like I don't want to guess your age because I feel like you're kind of close to my age, but I could be way off. How old are you, Kendrick?
Speaker 3: I'm forty nine, Okay.
Speaker 2: I would have guessed closer to like forty four, forty five. But so you hey, you're you're looking looking good man? Man? Are you Are you at all thinking about like it's fifty something that's like worrying you at all? Some people get kind of weird about that, Like when I when I get to forty, I'll probably be like, oh, like it's all downhill from.
Speaker 1: Here a little bit.
Speaker 3: But also at the same time, I'm looking forward to it and I'm hoping to have some kind of celebration. Oh hell yeah, but it's it's it's kind of a hooray. But at the same time, I was like, damn, I'm getting old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's why you gotta throw like you gotta have like the biggest fiftieth celebration, making it, make it a year long, just so you don't think about the bad side of it. You're like, well, hey, this is what it's been building for, because there can't be many better birthday. I mean again, it's you're on the older side rather than you know, when you turn twenty or thirty. But I mean fifty, that's a milestone, man, it is a milestone.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm already getting out of the extra doctor's appointments that you not have to make when I was younger. So yeah, I'm already fifty without Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, just keep living like you're you know, you're still young in your prime and you won't even think about age because I'm gonna tell myself to do that as I get older as well. But I know you're a big hoopead like myself. What I want to get your thoughts on Steph Curry because I think Steph Curry's legacy was already great before the Olympics and even before he got that that ring post KD. But I feel like the ring that he got a couple of years ago with the Warriors, and I don't know, maybe they get another one, but it kind of seems as if that dynasty is is on. It's on. I think their best basketball was in the past, more so in the rather than the future. But him being really the guy, I mean, they don't they don't get past Serbia without him doing Steph Curry things, and of course he was sensational making shots on Saturday that really nobody else should be even should even think about taking. Do you look at him any differently now in these last few years compared to whatever, he kind of emerged as one of the faces of the league. Because I'll admit it, I don't know if I was ever a Steph hater, but I just had a hard time thinking he was one of the best players of all time. And now I'm not saying he's the best, but look at his career, look at his accomplishments. I think it's hard for anybody to dispute that he's up there. He's in that conversation, there's a there's an elite tier at the top, and I think he belongs in there.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, it's hard because of his size and if Steph's not as little as people make him think of make him out to be stuff, it's still like six or four, it's not. He's not tiny and so but I think his size and like people, I think people hold his defense against him because he is he does tend to get targeted on defense. But outside of that, I mean there and for a long time now, there's no more fun player to watch when he's on fire and Steph Curry, he's.
Speaker 1: Changed the game like that.
Speaker 3: He's changed the game. Some may even say for the worse, but he's definitely changed the game. And there's never gonna be another one like him. There's gonna be others that come along that probably can shoot close to that. But what we're seeing, we've never seen anything like this. So now as the older he gets, and it's the crazy thing, it feels like he's still getting better, but the older guests now is more of an appreciation to how great he is. Before it was just watching how good can this guy be? And seeing him win championships was exciting. But now when you know the Warriors run is pretty much over most likely unless they make some miraculous trade. But right now, it's more of an appreciation to his greatness.
Speaker 2: You said it. I think his stature has always been something that keeps people who people who love him and think he is great, they just hesitate to put him in that elite tier because he's someone that when you look at him, you could go you could go to the YMCA downtown, just a few blocks away from where we are right now, and you wouldn't see somebody that can play like him, But you see somebody with that same type of stature. You know, he's not, as you said, he's not tiny, but he's not physically imposing. You know, he's got he doesn't have muscles popping out of everywhere. He's tall enough to make plays. But yeah, I mean, I think that's always been something that's worked against him. But you know, results are results, and I can't think of anybody that has that has been able to really consistently take shots that I'm not kidding you, ninety nine point nine percent of the basketball population at the professional level should never consider taking these shots. Where now, when he does it, you think, well, even if he misses it. Well, that's a good look because those are shots he typically makes.
Speaker 3: And I think part of the difference between a Steph and a Lebron and a Kobe and MJ is you can look at Steph while it's not true, you can convince yourself that that's obtainable because.
Speaker 1: He's not true those guys.
Speaker 3: He's not a freak of nature like Lebron is. You know, he's not this killer like Kobe and Mike were, even though he is. But you know what I mean, sure, he's not that athletic guy that's gonna go and dump over a bunch of people. So a guy coming up who maybe be about six foot sixty one sixty two looks a step as like that's obtainable. I can learn to shoot like that now most people can't. But you can't convince yourself that you can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think what you said earlier is I mean, it's not really his fault, but I do think because he just he became I mean, especially for young kids, when he became one of the stars of the league, one of the faces of the league. I mean, it was not again, he's just different, right. Usually it's guys that are jumping over people and Duncan on him. This is a guy who is doing things that you feel like again, it's more, it's more attainable, and that's led to a lot of kids just wanted to fire up Steph Curry type shots. Went again. There needs to be like there needs to be in every gym in America where young kids play and they develop and work on their game. Just a reminder on the wall. You're not gonna be Steph Curry, So let's let's work on some other things as well.
Speaker 3: Right. I remember when I was a kid, I was young enough that are old enough where Doctor Jay was at the end of his career, Michael Jordan was coming along, and Magic was coming along, and like I literally had a junior coach that said, nobody on the team could wear number six, number twenty three, number thirty two, or number thirty three for Bird.
Speaker 2: So that's a good that's a good coach.
Speaker 1: Bird.
Speaker 2: Bird's one of those guys. To man, I didn't get a chance to see Bird in his prime. Obviously, I was very familiar with him as a young kid. Knew he was great. But he is someone who when Larry Bird's highlight mixes appear on my feed or somebody sends me one. I see him on one of the social media platforms. I can never skip through it. Because a guy who looks like he, you know, just got off a barstool, polished, you know, three draft beers. He's out there just throwing passes that are as good as anybody's. I mean, he doesn't make sense how good.
Speaker 3: Larry Bird was right, and he's another one that you can look at and be like, that's obtainable because he wasn't thought of as athletic. You know, Bird was more athletics. Credit for him, surely a clip of dunkin two handed and so he was more athletic he get credit for. But you get you look at him. He's not overwhelming you with athleticism. He's not this big, strong guy. He looks like an average guy. Even gooes taller than people have, but he just looks like an average guy.
Speaker 2: Have you heard the Nolan Richardson Hall of speech that he when Nolan's being inducted and he talks about Bird. I've got to send it to if you haven't seen it. But he's he's driving across the country, Nolan Richardson is and he's listening to a game on the radio where Indiana State is playing. I think it might be UTEP or something, and there was some kind of rivalry component. And he's listening to Indiana States guy named Bird, Bird Bird, another bucket by Bird, and he doesn't know who he is, and he's like, man, he's happy because apparently UTEP was a rival or something. And he sees the next day and he sees it in the paper and he couldn't believe that Larry Bird was a white guy. I'll sell you the clip because he shared that story while he was being inducted in the Hall of Fame, which I thought it was really funny. And I'm sure there's a lot of people growing up that like would see Larry Bird and be like, oh, that came from Indiana State, Like before he started really showing what he could do against magic. I bet there are so many players across the world that were like this guy, come on, I could take care of you. Yeah, there was no internet, exactly.
Speaker 3: High school gavern on ESPN back then. A lot of these guys had no idea who each other was, so they saw each other on the floor. So yeah, they probably was a lot of surprise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, different different world back then, no doubt. But Kendrick Haskins is our guest joining us here on Sports Talk seven ninety so. I talked about this a little bit earlier. I think both. I think it's normal for every fan in college football to want to hear their team talked about in a positive way when you get to July and August, right, you want to be tabbed as a team to to look out for that's on the radar to potentially really surprise some people and break through, which is you know, I think it's normal. However, I actually think both teams around here have had their best success historically, not only with the current coaches. With Jeff's a little different, it's just the second year, but I think historically both of these programs in this state have actually been better off when they can surprise people and there's not a whole lot of love out there, and they can even if it's not real, they can manufacture the disrespect card. You've covered these programs for quite some time. I kind of feel like we want the preseason love, but it usually doesn't end up working out that well.
Speaker 3: I mean, go back to Patrino when Lamar was here, when the year when Lamar won the Heights and Lamar kind of came out of nowhere until that Florida State game and U of L wasn't getting much pub until that Florida perfect for him, right, And then the next year when the expectations came, even though Lamar's numbers were I think with Lamar's numbers, men actually have been better than last year, but the team did not perform like they should.
Speaker 2: He was a marked man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was a marked man. They still got they got plenty of wins, but like you see, they the way they lost in their bowl game and then it was Lamar running around and really nobody else really doing anything. And so yeah, when they expected expectations came, it kind of faltered a little bit. Kentucky, I think really truly, I think the expectations for Kentucky are so low, have historically little yeah, and and like this year, I think it's more about their schedule, yeah, than their rosters.
Speaker 2: Well. I do just feel like in I feel like in twenty twenty two, Will Levis came back after a really good debut season, and I feel like that was the first year because they were coming off a ten win season that was the first year that I can think of in my lifetime as as somebody who's been around both programs to where there were legitimate expectations within Kentucky football. I'm a little bit younger to remember when Tim Couch was there, but they brought back Levis and they were supposed to be pretty damn good. They went three and five in the SEC, lost at home to Vandy. You know, didn't end up beating Louisville because that's what stoops just does. But yeah, I kind of feel like there's examples that it so for fans out there. I guess what I'm getting at is when you if you feel like, hey, you know what, you know, they're not showing us enough respect, like that that actually some that that actually is a part of our identity around here.
Speaker 3: I feel like, yeah, And I do kind of feel like if a little Wether won just one of those three games at the end of the season last year, they probably would have at least cracked the top twenty five. I agree, being held over their heads going into the season with a three game losing streak. So I think that's that with them and with Kentech, I think it's more so of their skin, and then of course replacing a running back, a dynamic running back and a pretty decent quarterback if there's so many question marks with the playmakers. But when you got a guy like Barry and Brown, you're in the game offensively for the most part, just about it because he can bust a big, big play on return or just a short little dig route taking sixty.
Speaker 2: So those two guys, Brown and Key were pretty underwhelming last year based just off of expectations because they look so promising as freshmen, but they're so talented, Like, nobody will be surprised if those guys have huge years with their new quarterback, because you know, I'm not saying it was all Leary's fault last year, but but I mean, those are two guys. They could have three or four consecutive games where they're dropping everything thrown to them. But I'm not gonna be surprised if they have games where they, you know, look like some of the best receivers in the country, because they've shown that too at times.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I mean they showed up in the solvagase.
Speaker 2: Why are you trying to make me crowded?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 3: That was that thing?
Speaker 1: Couldn't that rivalry the last few years.
Speaker 2: Like man, last year, last year was the one year where you're like, you know, you just can't lose him this year because they don't even like their team, they don't like their coach. He told them to pony up and pay more money. You got ten wins under your belt already. And then you know, we all know what that wasn't That wasn't a fun post game show for me, Kendrick, I can imagine. All right, so real quicker, We'll let you go. I know high school football is getting set to start here in the area. Obviously, you guys do great coverage over at Wave three each and every year for that I assuming that we're going to continue to see, you know, the big dogs stay the big dogs. There's always there's some historical programs around here that always seem to win a lot of games. But have you have you heard is there an emerging program here in the area that you feel like is coming off of a couple of successful seasons. I know Atherton has really changed a lot about their program in recent years. I like pulling for schools that you know, have built to where maybe they can compete with some of these big dogs have a bunch of state championships already in the trophy case after to.
Speaker 3: His fun as their coach is fun coach Anthony bro He's so funny. He's a short little guy, but he's full of energy.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he's putting kids and he's putting guys in college now too. I see these guys are getting offers, and.
Speaker 3: He loves being there, and it's legit. He loves being at Afters and I think he loves the fact that he's got he's got a program that basically he's in control of him. He's totally building and he loves it there. And so he's doing a great job there. Ballad has a new coach. It's going to be interesting to see what they can do because they've gotten so close to a state championship game back to back years. Still, it'll be exciting to see what they do. But of course, Trinity's bringing their quarterback back who actually saw him at practice.
Speaker 2: Is a kid that's going to be a sophomore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's grown a little bit. He still needs to grow a little bit more to be a D one prospect, I think, but he has grown a little bit. And that kid is he's like a cyboard. His expression never changes and he.
Speaker 2: Just goes out there and just makes place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he just makes play. When they lost. They had a loss to Frederick Douglas early in the season last year when he was just kind of coming online. But once he settled in and he was out there just carving teams up. He's exciting to watch.
Speaker 2: Well, Kendrick, we appreciate the time as always. We'll do it again soon and I want you to make sure you enjoy your last year in your forties.
Speaker 1: Okay, brother, thanks man, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Take care. That's Ketchrick Caskins Wave three Sports always appreciate his time. Good stuff as always. All right, let's uh, let's take a quick time. I will come back, wrap up at three o'clock hour and keep the party rolling along. It's coffee and company. Filbout Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. I haven't mentioned it yet, so might as well mention it now. I will not be here tomorrow, so your quarterback for Tuesday afternoon will be the one and the only mister John Alten who he's got some I mean, he knows what he's doing. He's professional here, you know. I like the idea of being able to be away in the show being I mean, in fact, I prefer that way every time. But you know, the brass here at I heart, they've they've got more experience than me, and they know they know what's best for this show more so than myself. So they've yet to to give it, uh to give John the opportunity to do it that often. But tomorrow he'll be with you running the show. We'll probably replace some stuff that will get you more and more excited as we get closer and closer to uh to football season. Yes, I will not be here tomorrow, but I'll be back Wednesday. So just a one day break gotta do, gotta get some gotta get some medical stuff I gotta I gotta take care of. But you know, just a one day absence, not one of my uh not one of my week long vacations that I I gotta be honest with you, I feel like I had more of those than ever. Like I was thinking about it the other day, I feel like they were very close to each other. Yeah, and probably a little more so than more so than than I probably should do it. But then again, like I like knowing that we're going into and tomorrow is like a medical day, so it's not like I'm taking a vacation day. But I like knowing that we get to August and I you know, I've used all my vacation because one time I literally didn't use like six seven days and I just you know, I didn't get paid for it. I just it was my fault for not taking it whenever, you know, I should have. So the trip that when the trip that I didn't realize was happening that kept me out for three days. The trip to Missouri, Arkansas with family, that's the one that kind of was in between a week in uh in whatever beach we went.
Speaker 3: To what was it?
Speaker 2: Was it Dustin? No, we just went to Destin. The other one was clear Water, Yeah, clear Water that area. We went to Clearwater that area for a week, and then I had three days off for the trip for the with the family, and then of course deston a couple of weeks ago, so they were pretty close together. And uh, you know, I had a good summer and that's why I'm ready for someone to be over so we can get to some football. But that'll be here before we know. We'll talk some more football. Coming up here on the other side, we still got two more hours left, so make sure you guys stick around. You know, we'll have some fun and uh, you know, you never know what's gonna happen.