Speaker 1: Welcome to the Big Blue and Sider Dick Gabriel with you Friday edition of our program as we wrap up the week and look ahead to tomorrow's contest with South Carolina. The Wildcats opening conference play, and this one is crucial. We've talked about it all week. It's so weird to see Kentucky open the conference this early in the season, but it's vital for actually both teams as they try to get to another bowl game, to try to stay relevant in the SEC. So much tougher now to get to Atlanta. You gotta have this one, in my opinion, if you're going to get there, the Wildcats with those hopes and dreams. So we'll have the ballgame for you right here on six thirty WLAP tomorrow one thirty airtime with Christy and Jeremy and Logan Stenberg, Tom Leech, jeffcol and I will have the call. Should be a great day, Kentucky fans. You deserve great weather for tomorrow and from all the counts you're going to get it, so we hope you get a good game to go along with as well. Kentucky for the longest time couldn't beat South Carolina. There was a Tennessee streak, there was the Florida streak, but ten straight years the Wildcats lost to s See. But Mark Stoops turned that around and Jojo Kemp had a great game back in twenty fourteen at one hundred and thirty yards plus three touchdowns through the Wildcat formation as the Wildcats up ended South Carolina here in Lexington then the next year, and Jojo talked about this on the show earlier this week, they went down and won at South Carolina.
Speaker 2: Which was a huge win.
Speaker 1: It was an upset and as I told Jojo this week, when I walked in that locker room to do postgame interviews, the wall of sound was deafening. It was amazing how loud that room was. I could barely hear myself think I could barely hear the players I was interviewing. Tom Leech came down by then it had calmed down a little bit to talk to Mark Stoops. But it was quite the performance by the Wildcats and quite the experience, and it was just so much fun watching Kentucky turned that thing around against South Carolina, especially in fourteen when Neil Brown was the OC and people hadn't quite turned on the Wildcat. Yet they just don't really like it that much. But I think that goes back to when Benny Snell had a rough time with it early in his sophomore year and it just didn't work very well because Benny didn't have the timing down. Once he mastered at or remastered it because he had it as a freshman, then the Wildcat really took off again. But that night with Jojo Kemp and Patrick Toles.
Speaker 2: It worked beautifully.
Speaker 1: And there was one play where Jojo lines up in the Wildcat, but it turns into a flea flicker I had almost forgotten about. This play turned into a long touchdown bomb to Ryan Timmins, wide receiver. Kentucky signed out of Frankfurt, and this was probably Timmins' best play as a Wildcat, and certainly a great call by Neil Brown.
Speaker 3: Set Eye Tolls goes in motion to the near side, so Kemp will go from the Wildcat. But they did it out of a different look this time, and now he brings Blue in motion and they handed to Blue sweeping laugh and out. He gets it back to cols Hey throwing deep Timmith wide open.
Speaker 1: He got it five touch down Kentucky huge play, especially for what was happening at the time. Kentucky twice fell behind by fourteen points, and Jojo pointed this out earlier this week that what a call by Neil Brown. What a decision to stay with the Wildcat. Of course Jojo loved it and had a great game, but to be down fourteen and stay with it, But he said, Jojo said, they knew it would work, but I don't think they expected South Carolina to be so slow or incapable of making adjustments.
Speaker 2: There are ways to beat it.
Speaker 1: If you sell out to beat the Wildcat, you can stop it. That opens you up to be damaged by other offensive attack. But South Carolina never made the adjustment. And I've always said, or for the longest time, the word adjustment sometimes overblown, because Steve Brown, the former decordinator Kentucky, once said it us. You know, people talk so much about adjustments at halftime, and as often as not, it's simply reminding kids to carry out the assignments they worked on all week long. Not changing everything, not throwing the game plan out the window. Just hey, do what you're supposed to do, properly, do your job, and everything's going to be okay. We're gonna get back to that in just a minute, because that's the theme this week. It should it really is every week, but especially this week for the wildcast. But anyhow, South Carolina never made the change. And there was also this huge play by Jojo. And remember if you were there you or saw the game, you thought he's going to score and he didn't.
Speaker 2: But it was his biggest carry of the game.
Speaker 3: So take the direct snap to himself this time, has it takes that explodes the head across the forty five breaks, the tackle gets outside of the forty for the thirty five, I cuts left at the thirties.
Speaker 2: He's gotten run to the far side.
Speaker 4: He's a blunder twenty.
Speaker 3: Five twenty ten knock.
Speaker 5: Kind of Thus I had the seven yard line.
Speaker 2: It'll be personal goal to go.
Speaker 1: Tom was kind of chuckling there because, well, Jojo, after that play was over, he just lay on the ground. They tried to help him up and he shrugged off the help.
Speaker 2: He was like, no, I just want to lie here for a minute and rest.
Speaker 1: But then he went right back in with just an amazing performance that night by Camp and by the old line and Neil Brown, the offensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: So don't think we'll.
Speaker 1: See much wildcat this week, but we're going to see quarterback run game from both teams. They've got a really good, young running quarterback with a strong arm. South Carolina does, and that's why we heard so much this week about being gap, discipline, gap sound. There was a lot of talk from the players and Mark Stoops about as Trevon Ripket pointed out to us this week, it all starts with the eyes. Your eyes have to be in the right place. Your eyes have to be on what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Do your job.
Speaker 1: Don't be looking off somewhere else to see maybe what you can do to help somebody else. Know, keep your eyes where they belong. And if you don't, they call that dirty eyes. We've heard that a little bit this week, especially from Stoops, but it is absolutely vital with a guy like Norris the QB who can run and hurt you.
Speaker 6: For South Carolina, we need to be clean, you know, clean with our vision and you know, guys, as I told you last week, ause I told the team many times going in the game when everybody wants.
Speaker 5: To do too much, everybody you know worked hard, they've left it, they've run, they want to go. You know, make every play, and you have to take care of your business.
Speaker 2: You know, you got to do your.
Speaker 5: Primary responsibility first. And I think, you know, we're talking about just dirty eyes and guys getting a little over anxious. They just got to do, you know, do what we're asking them to do and then and then play football.
Speaker 1: Do your job, be gap sound, and all things will come to pass. Usually good things.
Speaker 2: Stop said, it's been a good week for practice. That's a good sign.
Speaker 5: The week's gone well. I feel like their preparation has been on point. You know, we still have a work to do, a lot of mental work to do between now and game time, but it's been a great start. So we got to just carry that over to the field. As I just told the team, you know, there's it's it's going to come down to executing, you know, that's that's the bottom line. We need focused discipline, execution. There's going to be motion, there always is, but that's gonna go out the window and it's going to come down to who executes and who makes plays when the game's on the line.
Speaker 2: It always does who executes.
Speaker 1: And in fact, Chris collins Worth made an interesting point last night on the NFL broadcast. He was talking about a decoordinator who said that it did. He told his team in one particular game, big, big game, doesn't matter what I call good or bad as long as you execute. And that's right in every instance of it. Every football game, you don't execute, you usually aren't gonna win. Sometimes you're good enough to get away with mistakes, but you're usually gonna win.
Speaker 2: Great game.
Speaker 1: By the way, last night, the Ravens appear to have had a shot at tier winning the game of a two point conversion at the very end on a touchdown pass apparent touchdown pass from Lamar Jackson, but didn't work because the receiver had his toes on the line. It was clear through the replay that it wasn't a touchdown. What a great game the rematch at the conference championship game with the Chiefs and the Ravens. So the NFL season off to a great start. My Packers tonight in Brazil playing those Eagles, and I hope everybody gets in and out of there safely. But yeah, it's here, and the NFL underway, Kentucky football well underway, and you'll hear it right here on six thirty WLAP. But we'll shift to basketball when we come back. You heard it yesterday, Jasper Johnson is a Wildcat. Chris Fisher of two four to seven Sports will chop that up with us when we come back here in the Big Bloon Sider six thirty w Welcome back to the Big Blue Sider. Joining us now in our celebrity hotline, mister Chris Fisher of two four seven and the Cat's pause and Chris, you looked on as Jasper Johnson made his announcement, it had kind of oozed out that it was going to be Kentucky. Worke got out he was going to be at the game with the team that with the basketball team tomorrow, so he ain't going.
Speaker 2: Anywhere but UK.
Speaker 1: But for quite a while the Alabama was legit wasn't it. I don't not sand he locked him down, But that was that was serious, wasn't it.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I fear that when the dust kind of settles on this whole thing, fans will look back and say, oh, he was never going anywhere but Kentucky. And he's a Lexington kid and his family is all you know, true blue, and you know has the various connections to UK. But that is not how this thing played out at all. Kentucky was playing catch up before the coaching change with North Carolina, were playing ketchup after the coaching change with Alabama, and this thing really only turned in the last couple of weeks. I think it got to a point where, you know, it's a lot easier to say yes to other schools. No, it's it's a lot harder at the end of the day for him to say no to Kentucky.
Speaker 4: There's so much pressure.
Speaker 7: On him with those family ties at the end of the day to say no to Kentucky. And I think that's what I think, That's honestly what it came down to. Now, obviously you could tell by the announcement that and I certainly played its part, which it plays a part in every recruitment nowadays. But at the end of the day, he was a seventeen year old kid, and I think as the deadline got closer and closer, it got that much harder to say no to Kentucky, you know.
Speaker 2: And this was all playing out.
Speaker 1: I flashed on the recruitment of his dad, who I think yesterday I said, went to Woodford Kennedy coaches at Woodford County played at Harrisburg. But and I reported this the day before Dennis Johnson signed with Kentucky. I reported that the way the winds were blowing, I kept hearing Notre Dame. But he you know, But but then he goes to Kentucky and people killed me on your All's message boards, on the cats Balls message boards. But he later said he was heading for Notre Dame. But the next day woke up and decided I want to be a wildcat. Of course, they hired his dad to be an assistant coach. So it's never quite the locked people think it is. But now it's even tougher, isn't it, Chris, with all this nil money floating around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think that's the other thing.
Speaker 7: I think once Kentucky kind of stepped up with the nil and you know, kind of leveled the playing field, and I think it made it that much harder to say no to Kentucky. And the other thing is this Mark Pope put in the time to recruit Jasper Johnson. He was not heavily recruited by the previous staff. But since Mark Pope took the Kentucky job back in April.
Speaker 4: He saw Jasper Johnson and.
Speaker 7: Indianapolis, he flew to Colorado Springs, he went. He flew to Argentina, flew to saw him play in Shelbyville. Didn't fly there, it drove there, but then flew to Atlanta at overtime elite to meet with him the day before his decision. So Mark Pope deserves a lot of credit for putting in the time and effort to make Jasper Johnson feel like a priority. There was a lot of ground to make up. Nate Oates had been recruiting him since the eighth grade, so there was a lot of ground to make up there and a lot of relationships to establish. And Jasper Johnson said as much. Said Mark Pope was very, very consistent in his pitch, made him feel wanted, made him feel like a priority, and that certainly played a part in this recruitment. Rick Patino called Mark Pope the hardest working player he's ever coached, and it definitely feels like that's translated over to his coaching career as well.
Speaker 2: Well. You mentioned Alabama.
Speaker 1: Johnson said yesterday that what made it so tough, But he said Alabama was one of the first Power five schools to trust and offer me, not just offer but trust him and through the years, Chris, and you've done this for a long time as well. The first school provided it's it's a legit, not like you know, East Nowhere State, but you know, if it's a powerful school that gets in really early, that matters a lot that kids, doesn't.
Speaker 7: It, It definitely does.
Speaker 8: And I think when you combine that with the fact that you know they've been on him for a long time, you combine that with the fact that they finally broke through and made their first ever ever Final Four last.
Speaker 7: Season and have also developed a guy into high level NBA draft picks. I think Natos was kind of selling Jasher Johnson on being the next Brandon Miller. You know, a guy that goes there and has an outstanding freshman season and goes on to be a lottery pick. And so I think he saw a lot of similarities there. But again, I think Mark Pope really put in the time and effort, and then when you combine that with the nil offerings that Kentucky came in with late, I just think it was it was too good to pass up, especially when you think about the long, illustrious history that his family has with the.
Speaker 1: University Pope inherited Travis Perry. I think Cali Perry grudgingly signed him. No disrespect to Travis, it just was just the way Kentucky was playing and recruiting. But he goes out and gets Trentono, flips him, gets Malachi Marino. So now you've got this core, Chris of Kentucky kids and we'll find out how vital that is to Kentucky's attempt to get back to relevance. But to the fans, this is just huge, isn't it to have a core of Kentuckians.
Speaker 7: Oh, it's absolutely a dream come true and it's something that fans have been have always thirsted four, but have thirsted four even more after the last fifteen years or so where you didn't see an abundance of Kentucky kids on the roster, and especially guys that could contribute to the program. And I think that's exactly what Kentucky has right now. And whether Terravis Perry and Trent Know are immediate impact guys from day one, I don't know, but I would be absolutely shocked if those guys aren't really really good college players by the end of their time in Lexington. And obviously Jasper Johnson is a different level of talent. He's a consensus five star guy. He's ranked in the Inside the top ten and the twenty four to seven Sports Composite, and a guy that just knows how to score and he can score from every level shooting. He's a tough shot taker and a tough shot maker. And when you put him in a perimeter oriented offense like Mark Pope's, who gives his guys the green light to shoot it from deep, I think it's a really really good fit.
Speaker 1: That was gonna be my next question. How does he fit with what Pope wants to do? And like the rest of us, you've seen video of Pope's teams but yet to see him in person, but we know that he's recruiting guys who need to be able to shoot from the perimeter. Does Jasper Johnson fit that bill?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Again, I think he takes a lot of tough shots, but he makes a lot of tough shots. He has really good size at six foot four, I think he has a six foot eight wings fan, so he's very long. Not in a freak athlete, but I think he's athletic enough to get the job done at the rim. But as far as perimeter shooting, I think he's a really good fit from Mark Pope's offense. Didn't quite shoot it as well in the Nike E YBL travel season. I think a lot of that had to do with some of his shot selection, But is considered one of the best perimeter shooters in the twenty twenty five class, and when he gets hot, there's no stopping him. I mean, he can absolutely start to fill it up when he gets going, and I think pound for pound, is probably one of the best scorers in the twenty twenty five class and one of the best shooters as well.
Speaker 1: And of course when he gets to the rim, he's a little bit of a highlight reel.
Speaker 2: Isn't he.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Like I said, he's sixty four six to eight wings fan, solid athlete. I mean, he's Dennis Johnson's son at the end of the day, and one of the best athletes to ever play for Kentucky football, the USA USA Today National High School Player of the Year, and so I think he's going to be one of those immediate impact guys. Malachai Maraino, as we've talked about, thinks the big guys a little bit longer to develop and so I don't think we'll see male Camarano hit the ground running quite like Jasper Johnson will, but both of those guys can come in and contribute right away.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought up Dennis because people forget not just the Gatorade defensive player of the Year at Class A level in the state of Kentucky, but part of his legacy at Harrisburg was he started playing varsity football. Of course his dad was the coach, but started playing with the varsity in the third grade, started as an eighth grader, but also was a terrific basketball player and a great track and field athlete.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Jasper comes by those jeans. Honestly.
Speaker 1: Forgive me, I can't speak to mom's athletic ability, but yeah, Jasper comes by it, honestly. We're talking to Chris Fisher of the Cats Paws and two four to seven Sports.
Speaker 2: More to come here on the Big.
Speaker 1: Blue Siders six thirty WLAP. Well come back, We're talking with Chris Fisher on her celebrity hotline. Chris, of course as a recruiting specialist for two four to seven Sports. You see his work on the pages and online with the Cats Paws and two four to seven sports dot Com and of course we're talking about Jasper Johnson's decision to stay home and play for Kentucky and one of the quotes he gave your Alls, Travis Branham Chris was that it's good to be the hometown hero. I'm paraphrasing, but living close to Rup, he said, watching all the games growing up to follow him his dad's footsteps. Great thing to do in a great feeling. But it's it's unfortunate, but it's just the way things are. That Jasper left the state to play his last year or two of high school basketball. And when you look at Caliperi and your colleague Aaron Gershan pointed out that Travis Perry was just the sixth in state player who ever signed with Caliperry in those fifteen years, and immediately you're like, what the heck? But then you realize, kids like Jasper Johnson, Rajon Rondo, I'm sure you can rap off a lot of names leave the state for prep schools, you know.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, you'd love.
Speaker 1: To see more Kentucky kids on the roster, but how many can I'm sure calaf Pray would have said, how many Kentucky kids can help us win a national title, and that's that's legit.
Speaker 2: Isn't it.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think going back to Reed Shepherd last year, I believe he was the first McDonald's All American to finish his high school career in Kentucky to play for UK since Rex Chapman in eighty eight. So that's going back a really, really long way. And like you said, it's a trend that we've seen where these kids, you know, transfer out of state and go to these prep schools where they play a national schedule and they have you know, top notch coaching staffs and facilities and what have you. And it's becoming more and more rare that we see guys stick around like Travis Berry, like Malachi Mareno, like Reed Shepherd, who you know, out their high school careers in the state of Kentucky. But you know, I think it's going to be an ongoing process to rewire our brains to fully understand Mark Stoop's recruiting philosophy. It's not going to be one and done national talent. Now, that will be a component of it, right, but you're going to get some of those guys, but you're going to get you know, three or four guys in the transfer portal. But I think the biggest thing is is you're going to see retention year over year. You're going to have guys that stick around for more than one season.
Speaker 4: I think in some ways, John.
Speaker 7: Califerry had become a victim of his home success. He had had so many guys go to the NBA after one year that it almost became baked into the culture, like if I don't leave after one year, that I feel like a failure. And so I think it'll be refreshing to kind of get away from that and have a more of a mix of guys in state. Guys certainly be a part of that, But again I think, you know, will these Kentucky guys be able to compete at the highest level on the college campus from day one? Maybe maybe not, But by the time they're playing days are over at Kentucky, they're going to be really, really solid college players. And you know, I think for the fans it's unfair. You know a lot of people want to say, well, he should have gotten malacam Raino and Jasser Johnson. You know, those guys are our local guys, so.
Speaker 4: But it's unfair to not give.
Speaker 7: Him any credit for landing those guys, but then those would have been the same people criticizing him if he didn't, And so, you know, I just think it's a really, really awesome start for Mark Pope. The big question for him coming in was whether he would be able to successfully recruit the high end talent. And now Kentucky is the only school with two top twenty five commitments for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, you know.
Speaker 1: And I was kind of hoping Willie all these stey might help people rewire their brains, because, as you know, he stuck around not just for a second year, but a third year, and he wasn't the only guy who stayed beyond one year. But I remember really telling us he is, I'm not done being a kid. I don't want to worry about paying taxes and buying a house and all that stuff. And I thought, man, good for you, but that's not going to happen. What I wonder, Chris, and you already know the answer to this is will fans be able to have their brains rewired when they see the recruiting rankings and polls you know that do not list Kentucky first or second. Well, I remember when Kentucky was second behind Duke, there was a faction of fans that were losing their mind. What's wrong? You know, nothing's wrong. You got to get the kids that you can get and that help you. But I think you're right. I think Pope is going to have solid classes. But what's going to come first is how can a kid help me and what I want to do? And that's got to be good.
Speaker 2: Enough of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think if you look back at the recruiting rankings over the last ten years, Kentucky under John Keller, Perry and Duke were in a class of their own. How many number one classes has Kansas had? How many number one classes has Villanova had? How many number one classes has North Carolina had? Those schools had a completely different philosophy that you know, we'll recruit the five star one and dons, and if we get a couple, that even better. But we're going to focus on the guys that are ranked in the top twenty five to top fifty, and not only are they really talented players, they're going to be in school for two or three years, and so when you mix that high end talent with experience, that makes really really good college players, and so when you have really talented, experienced players on your team, that's going to lead to a lot of wins. And we saw that at Kansas, at North Carolina, at Villanova for the last ten years, and I think that's what we're going to see under Marco.
Speaker 2: Couldn't agree more.
Speaker 1: And Tom Brady, I think, actually said it best in a recent interview when he talked about portal quarterbacks who jump in and play a year maybe two at a program, but he said they learned the playbook, but they don't learn the program or the culture of that of that school. And that's good enough for some guys, but not for a lot of the others. So I think I think you can apply that to what you were just talking about a couple of minutes up with Chris Fisher two four to seven Sports and the cast Bolls. Of course we're talking about Jasper Johnson. What do you think of the pizza box?
Speaker 7: A little over the top. He had the Morgan and Morgan shirt, he had the Donatos pizza box, he had the Paul Miller Ford backdrop. But you know, I think like we're adjusting to Mark Polk's recruiting philosophy. I think we're also in the process of adjusting to the current landscape with Nil. That's a kind of the way things are.
Speaker 4: I mean, I will give him points.
Speaker 7: For creativity with the jersey being delivered in the in the pizza box. That's that's something that we've never seen and that might be something that we never see again. So but yeah, I mean you got to give you know. And again, I think there were some people down the stretch of that recruitment that stepped up in terms of Nil. And if you watch his announcement, it's not hard to figure out who those people were.
Speaker 1: No, and when you walked into Jim and I again, I watched it on your website two four seven Sports. Uh, he's got the Morgan and Morgan backdrop as well. There's two backdrops, Paul Millerford Morgan Mark. So you know, he's not going to stand up and say Alabama in front of those backdrops. So, like I said that the mystery was was fairly well gone. But uh, yeah, to pick up the phone. He needs to work on his acting skills just a little bit. But that's not why he's here, you know, to be an actor. But but that was a great gift for you guys too. To have Travis Brandham there kind of him seeing and I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: That asked some pretty good questions.
Speaker 1: But I don't know about you, man, I can't wait to see this style of Mark Pope basketball here at Kentucky. I know, I know how he played as a player, but I want to see what his teams do with him coaching.
Speaker 7: You know, yeah, it's going to be a blast. I think, you know, a team shooting thirty three pointers a game. You know, we saw a Kentucky team last season that shot the ball really, really well. I mean you're talking about Reed Shepherd, Rob Dillingham and Antonio Reeves, three of the best perimeter shooters percentage wise that Kentucky's ever had on the same team. But it never felt like shooting threes was a big priority in the offense. It's kind of just, you know, whatever the individual players produced. And I think under John Caliperry, his you know, he wanted his talent to produce open shots, go one on one and get your shot. I think under Mark Pope he's going to let his scheme create open shots.
Speaker 4: And I think you know, you if.
Speaker 7: You followed the candid co coaches series on CBS where they pulled anonymous coaches. Everybody talked about what a genius offensive mind Mark Pope is. Cody Sieger is another guy that gets rave reviews in terms of his offensive acumen, and I just think it's going to be really, really fun to watch. I remember watching BYU last season and I think that I think it was then they were playing at Kansas, which they won in Lawrence, and thinking, Wow, they run some really really nice stuff, some some European influence offensive sets. I was like, man, that's going to be fun. If Mark Pope is able to have some success at BYU, it wouldn't surprise me if he's Kentucky's coach at some point down the line. Now, little did I know he would be Kentucky's coach the next season. But I remember thinking that they run some really really fun offensive stuff and they're a fun team to watch.
Speaker 2: He is Chris Fisher. He's a fun guy to read on the pages of the Cats.
Speaker 1: And Balls on the two four seven sports website, and you can also obviously follow him on X or Twitter at.
Speaker 2: Chris Fisher two four seven. Chris, thank you so much. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 2: You bet always fun.
Speaker 1: Talking to Chris about recruiting, but especially a big story like this, so Jasper Johnson in the fold. Now we can turn our attention back to Kentucky football coming up. In our next segment, which will be our last because volleyball comes up at seven, we will relive the highlights of Kentucky's win over Southern Myss. Speaking of highlights, the UK women beat Murray State last night too, won nothing and run their record to six and oh they're perfect through the first half dozen games for the first time in thirteen seasons.
Speaker 2: How about that.
Speaker 1: Anna Sikorski, a freshman, got the big goal in the sixty sixth minute to protect that perfect record for the UK women. Over to Bell Complex and tonight it's the UK men taking on number ten Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: The the men are one to zero to one.
Speaker 1: In Wisconsin's rank tenth and like I said, in the country to Kentucky sixteenth. That's a seven to thirty start over at the Bell So if you're not going to volleyball, maybe you go to soccer. It's always a lot of fun at the Bell Complex for UK soccer men's and women's. The Wildcats drew against Virginia Tech two to two. As we said earlier this week on Monday, Kentucky has twice played Virginia Tech in his history and twice has drawn with the Hokies. So tonight it's a tough one. Wisconsin in town seven to thirty. Start at the bell. I've failed to mention a couple of things involving Georgetown College. I haven't talked much Georgetown lately, but we were going over some of the Wildcats who made it to the NFL. Well, how about Brian Hudson, offensive lineman from Georgetown College. He is on the practice squad with the New England Patriots. He started his career at Virginia Tech. He went to Scott County High School. I'm a Virginia Tech transfer to u OFL and then moved on to Georgetown College, and at one point played for the Detroit Lions and can't went to camp with him and played quite a bit in the preseason, but they released him. He signed on with the Patriots, so anybody can sign him off the Patriots practice squad, but he is gainfully employed. And other news on the Georgetown campus. Georgetown College got a huge grant from the James and Martha Brown Foundation, the Austin Knowlton Foundation, and they are going to make renovations to Davis Red Alumni Gym and update the campus fitness center. Three million dollars in grants to renovate Davis Reid. It is just a great traditional place, been a lot of wins there, but they definitely need an upgrade when it comes to that facility. So congrats to Georgetown College for getting the money it needs to make improvements. All right, Coming up next, it's the highlights of Kentucky and South Carolina as we look ahead right at Kentucky Southern miss as we look ahead to South Carolina. The game that will kick off at three point thirty one thirty broadcast time right here. But coming up at the top of the hour is Kentucky Volleyball with the Wildcats playing host to Penn State. To stay with us, more to come on the Big Boon Sider six thirty WLAP.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Big Boon Sider final segment.
Speaker 1: We're going to wrap this up a little early this week because we're going to make.
Speaker 2: Way for UK Volleyball.
Speaker 1: Andrew Capus has to call Kentucky Penn State coming up in just a few minutes at Memorial Coliseum. Thought we would take you into the weekend with a look back at last Saturday. That's right, we've got the highlight melt from this past Kentucky opener with Southern Miss And here's full transparency. I usually put these together myself, but and I work with Billy rutlajo on getting all the audio from our broadcast sent over to me. But because of the rain delays, the audio file and this is just a little technical stuff some of you care about, most of you don't, but just to let you know, because of the rain delays, the audio file is more than eight hours long. So we were just having trouble really storing that thing and moving it around because it's one long five We stayed on the air for eight hours. It's none of this back to your local affiliates stuff. So not that we don't love our affiliates. We were trying to help them with programming. Sonyhow start to finish from the moment Christy Thomas signs on till the moment Tom Leach signs off eight hours long.
Speaker 2: So, to be honest with you, it was.
Speaker 1: Just easier for me to grab the video audio that was melted down by Greg Gorum's people over at Sports Video with help from our UK Sports Network people.
Speaker 2: So I hope to be.
Speaker 1: Back this coming week with the highlights melt of Kentucky South Carolina victory. I usually don't melt the losses, but if.
Speaker 2: You didn't hear the highlights.
Speaker 1: Tom Leach, Jeff Piicorol calling to win over the Golden Eagles, such as it was two quarters plus five minutes, here they are.
Speaker 2: It only lasts about three and a half.
Speaker 1: Usually these things go eight or nine minutes, but hey, the game just wasn't that long. So here it is a look back at Kentucky Southern miss from last week.
Speaker 3: They're Miss right back of the line and ready to go from its own forty four first and ten. They throw it into the middle.
Speaker 2: It's batted up.
Speaker 3: They're Miss right back of the line and ready to go from its own forty four first and ten. They threw it into the middle. It's batted up into the air and picked off. Come on Toomus Johnson and Georgia Transfer didn't take long to make an impact. Jeff Foo, Carl Brown split back to the near side, Vandergrifs right and a Griff retreats looking left, padding the football. Now scrambling back to the right, throws for the end zone and it again touchdown.
Speaker 9: They have too much speed outside Kentucky does a receiver, but he can sta much time. He rolls out of the pocket. That gave Brown time to slide to the sideline and he put it right down there where only he could catch it.
Speaker 3: Pistol formation and rode Baker's in trouble and he's hit the backfield sack JJ Weaver. Let's see it off the right side, got him in the backfield. Back at the ted gives some trips left open side of the formation. Now Clark in motion out of the backfield left. Kentucky bringing the heat pass over the middle. Deflected here step there shot Dearick Jackson deflicted it and it's picked off on the deflection in the end zone by Jake Q Hardaway.
Speaker 2: This is off the right.
Speaker 3: Hash mark a right footed kicker to try to extend Kentucky's lead by three plenty of leg It's good. Rode Baker has a set back to his left. He's got two receivers left and two receivers right. One of them he shifts in closer to the line of scrimmage, roder Baker getting pressure and sacks.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 3: Ripka deep back is Patterson. They fake it to him the andergrit setting Deep guns it.
Speaker 2: Over the middle.
Speaker 3: It's caught by Key, breaks the tackle into Southern miss territory. Down the farest sideline written out of bounds inside the forty in Southern Mississippi. One of them to the right is the tight end Anderson had off. Patterson running right, breaks one tackle, bounces it outside twenty five farse sideline, drops his shoulder and runs over a Southern miss defender. Kentucky with a ten to nothing lead, first and goal at the one and of Sumo Carnbay touchdown Kentucky. He goes in up the middle, standing up often is help they're faking it, or then they're faking it. And it's across the twenty five to the thirty and they didn't get it stop back of the twenty nine yard line or loss. They tried a fake with They give you the ball to Crawford and Kentucky was ready. Tough catch, great throw. Here's the pitch ahead to Brown sweeping right across the ten, breaks the tackle headed to the far.
Speaker 2: Side, touchdown.
Speaker 3: Kentucky throwk a tackle to the five and varying brown stuck in just in front of the right front pylon. Black Cats twelve yard touchdown run or Passesandi Griff, whether play fake throwing down the far sideline. It's another streak pattern and it's caught inside the ten. It'll be first in gold and go the bomb to Macklan. Three receivers in a triangle outside the right tackle, tight end left and a Griff with a fake tralling right man wide open touchdown Kentucky to HiT's dingle big boy just inside the right front pylon.
Speaker 9: Viz Barrow is happy.
Speaker 3: Tight end's gonna.
Speaker 2: Touchdown thirty one nothing, where's your final?
Speaker 1: That rain de a nightmare for Kentucky fans, but they hung in there and they were rewarded with that win by the Wildcats. And tomorrow it's the Cats in South Carolina. Three point thirty Star. We're on the air at one thirty, Christy and Jeremy and Logan. Stenberger did a great job on his opening week last week as well, and Jojo Kemp you heard him on the show earlier this week, had a tremendous game ten years ago against Southern or against South Carolina. He will open our broadcast tomorrow. You're not gonna want to miss that, so stay tuned now for Kentucky volleyball. Next that said, good night from the garage in Lexington.
Speaker 2: Charlie, here comes the deuce.
Speaker 3: And when you speak of me, you speak well.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 1: I was gonna throw a noose right yep, manootball, get out of here in a hurry.
Speaker 2: You know, anything travels that far to have a damn stewardess on it.
Speaker 8: Do you think a man
Speaker 3: Stagger bas