Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Good morning, It's five o'clock. This is your wake up call for Thursday, June nineteenth. I'm Amy King live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: It's juneteenth.
Speaker 1: Hopefully that means will we're gonna have light traffic today because that's stuff clothes.
Speaker 5: It's looking that way.
Speaker 3: Good, yeah, good, nice, easy. Hopefully.
Speaker 1: There's actually lots of cool June teen celebrations going on around the south Land. And I ask producer, and you really understand what June teenth that's all about?
Speaker 3: And she was like that not super clear. So we're going to dig into that a little bit at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating, fascinating and tragic at the same time.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, you're looking at me like I'm not awaken. I'm sorry. Okay, here's what's ahead on wake Up Call.
Speaker 1: The Bus family has reportedly agreed to sell its majority ownership of the Lakers to Dodgers Call owner Mark Walter for ten billion dollars. ESPN says Genie Buss is going to remain team governor to the NBA, so she'll still have a place on the team.
Speaker 3: If it does go through.
Speaker 1: The deal will be the highest priced sale of a pro pro sport franchise in the world. The Dodgers are going to announce plans to assist LA's immigrant communities. The team's been taking some heat on social media for not taking a stance on the ongoing immigration enforcement around LA. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin NETANYAHUO says Iran will pay a heavy price after a missile hit a hospital in southern Israel. Dozens of people, including children, were injured. Israel and Iran have been hitting each other with missiles for nearly a week. Hundreds have been killed in Iran, dozens have been killed in Israel. Is the US going to get involved in the conflict. Well, we'll get the latest from ABC's Karen Travers at the White House that's coming up in about three minutes. The jury has come back with a not guilty verdict for Karen Reid. She was accused of running over her police officer boyfriend and then leaving him to die in the Snow. ABC's crime and terror analyst Brad Garrett is going to join us at five twenty to tell us how lawyers convinced the jury that she didn't kill him, and ABC's Jim Ryan joins us right before the top of the hour a five point fifty about how that former police chief in Arkansas got out and stayed out of prison for so long before he was recaptured. A man on the lamb, those escape stories are always so fascinating to me. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A controlling stake of the LA Lakers is being sold for a record setting ten billion dollars.
Speaker 6: The Bus family is handing over majority ownerships to billionaire Mark Walter, already a key figure in LA Sports as co owner of the Dodgers. Genie Buss will stay on as team governor, preserving a link to her family's legacy. Matt money Smith, from kfi's sister station AM five to seventy LA Sports, says Walter's deep pockets will only help the Lakers.
Speaker 7: And Mark Walter. You're talking about the Guggenheim Group and tens of billions of dollars worth of just straight cash that they can pump into the team Money.
Speaker 3: Says, that's good news for fans.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think you'll see that the fan base of each recognized, Oh wow, this is going to kind of put us more on the same level as opposed to the Lakers being a step behind the Dodgers.
Speaker 6: The Blockbuster deal marks the biggest sale in US sports history.
Speaker 3: Heather Brooker KFI News, that's a lot of dope. Lakers legend.
Speaker 1: Magic Johnson has praised the news of the Lakers sale, calling Mark Walter the perfect choice to carry on the bus legacy. Johnson cited his shared success with Walter and the Dodgers, saying that Genie Buss made the right call and can now comfortably pass the baton to a trusted friend and business partner. LA City Hall has agreed to lend millions to the LAPD to cover recent overtime costs.
Speaker 8: Emergency Move takes five million dollars out of the city's reserves and offers it to the police as a loan. Kelslman John Lee says the recent demonstrations against immigration enforcement have stretched the LAPD's resources, forcing many to work overtime. This is going to allow us to pay for the overtime that was again unexpected by LPD, but unfortunately it had to be spent. The city administrator has been tasked with the payback plan to get that money back in the reserves. It's estimated the protest have so far cost the city in total close to twenty million dollars. Michael Monks KFI News, the.
Speaker 1: Los Angeles Press Club, and two news organizations have sued La County, claiming the County Sheriff's Department targeted members of the media with non lethal but dangerous munitions and used excessive force against its members covering the anti ICE protests. A similar suit was filed earlier in the week against LAPD. Hell By, the woman who sang the national anthem in Spanish at a Dodgers game over the weekend, has been honored at La City Hall. Nesa says the team asked her not to sing the Spanish version. La City Councilwoman Monica Rodriguez has Nessa took a courageous stand for Latinos in the wake of widespread immigration enforcement.
Speaker 9: We are the majority of faces in the city of Los Angeles. We are what keeps this economy moving across this country.
Speaker 3: We are what makes Los Angeles strong.
Speaker 1: Nesa said she was banned from Dodgers Stadium after the performance.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers have disputed that.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to ABC's Karen Travers at the White House. Good morning, Karen, So, Israel is continuing to pound Iran. Iran is firing back missiles at Israel. They just hit a hospital in southern Israel. President Trump has met with his national security team. So where does the US stand on possibly getting involved?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 11: The President said yesterday that he said I haven't made the final and I'd like to make.
Speaker 12: The final decision one second before it's due, because he said things change, especially with war. Sources tell us that the President has approved attack plans for Iran, but he has not decided yet whether to move forward with them. He is said to be waiting to see if Iran would be willing to discuss ending its nuclear program.
Speaker 11: That's according to sources familiar with the matter.
Speaker 12: Yesterday, when he was asked about the possibility of taking military action against Iran, the President said, I may do it, I may not do it.
Speaker 11: Nobody knows what I'm going to do, but he said I can tell you this. Iran's got a lot of trouble.
Speaker 12: The President's been under a lot of pressure from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netnyahu to get more involved in this military effort. The United States is the only country that has that thirty thousand pound bunker buster bomb that has the capability of getting deep into Iran's underground new enrichment facility.
Speaker 11: It's inside a.
Speaker 12: Mountain, it's protected by thick concrete, and that's what the President said to be considering as an.
Speaker 11: Option to take that out to really hamper to their.
Speaker 12: Possibility of building and sustaining a nuclear program.
Speaker 1: So when when they talk about the US getting involved in, President which is sort of the hallmark of his presidency, I might, I might not, And nobody's going to know until I make the decision. Could it be, or do you hear any rumblings that it? Could it be that it's just like a one time thing. We're sending in the bomber with the with the bunker buster and it's a one time thing and then we're out again.
Speaker 10: Could be?
Speaker 12: I mean, that depends I think on what Iran does. They certainly promised retaliation, saying you know that the Americans should know that Iran will not surrender and any intervention by the US would be met with a forceful response and irreparable damage. That was a message from the supremem leader. So you know, that is the next potential stage. Then if the Iranians target US personnel in the region, US assets, whether it's bases or embassies, things like that, then what happens next? And is the United States drawn into this?
Speaker 11: That is a big question.
Speaker 12: It's a big unknown, and it's certainly something that many within the president's own party are very concerned about right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so there are because we may forget that we've got is it thousands of troops over very close to where all.
Speaker 11: Of this is, forty thousand in the region.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Iran wouldn't have to come here. They could attack troops there. And what about like diplomats, people at embassies and that kind of thing that there would they become targets as well?
Speaker 3: Possibly they could be.
Speaker 12: I mean that's not for me to either say, but some American diplomats and family members who are authorized to leave in Israel are now being thrown out of the country by the US military as part of the concern of what could potentially happen.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then I know you've got about ten seconds. What's the vibe on Capitol Hill? Is it support for intervention or kind of a hands off attitude?
Speaker 12: You know, I think that there are some within the President's party who are concerned. This is a president who ran against new wars, against foreign engagement. There are Democrats who are concerned about this too. I think the interesting thing to see too is that beyond Capitol Hill and lawmakers, but just a divide within, like the MAGA Coalition, some very vocal against this.
Speaker 11: The President seemed to brush this off yesterday, saying, you know that this isn't his choice to do this either, but if it's a choice between fighting and Iran having a nuclear weapon, he said, you have to do what you have to do.
Speaker 3: Okay. ABC's Karen Travis at the White House. Thanks so much. Have a great day, you two thinks.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Just getting word into the KFI newsroom that Hurricane Eric has made landfall in western Wahaka, Mexico. It's now turned up to a Category four storm and just to like an hour or two ago, it was a category three. It's packing one hundred and forty miles per hour wins. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Natanyahu has condemned the Iranian strike on the main hospital in southern Israel. He says Israel will exact the full price from the tyrants in Tehran. The hospital said the strike caused extensive damage. The IDFs Brigadier General Fi Defrin says dozens of people were hurt.
Speaker 7: This hospital serves over one million Israelis, including Bedwins, Jews, Christians, and Arabs alike.
Speaker 1: The hospital was closed after the strike except for life threatening cases. Iran's Foreign minister is said to meet with his European counterparts in Geneva as Israeli airstrikes continue to target Iran. The country's state run news agency says that the foreign minister will travel to Switzerland for meetings tomorrow.
Speaker 3: US Capitol police say.
Speaker 1: Pizzas are being sent anonymously to lawmakers across the country. ABC's Stephen Portnoys's authorities are trying to figure out who's sending them.
Speaker 13: Pizzas have been anonymously sent to the homes of lawmakers both Republicans and Democrats in the House, as well as the current and former leadership of the US Capitol Police. In the wake of the Minnesota state lawmaker shootings, the pizza deliveries are now being viewed as a more alarming tacit threat that the anonymous center knows where an official lives.
Speaker 1: Capitol Police call the unsolicited pizza deliveries troubling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would be pretty freaky, very strange. Although if you're hungry, I would eat them. I'm just saying you to eat a pizza from an anonymous person.
Speaker 1: Heck, yeah, okay, Well we have to have a talk off the air, okay. The Supreme Court has upheld Tennessee's ban on gender affirming care for transgender children. ABC's Devin Dwyer says Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for a conservative majority that the law banning puberty blockers and hormone treatments for transmners does not violate the Constitution's Equal Protection clause.
Speaker 14: Just as Sonya sotam I origined by the Liberals, really dissented in sadness.
Speaker 3: That was her word.
Speaker 14: She read her descent aloud from the bench, which is something that rarely happens. At the Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: She said the decision will open the door to more state discrimination against trans teens. An ACLU lawyer called the decision a devastating loss for transgender people. The Federal Reserve has left interest rates right where they are. This was the fourth straight time interest rates have been left alone. Rates are hovering between four and a quarter and four and a half percent. President Trump has been pressuring FED chair Jerome Powell to cut rates. He called Powell's rate decision not to cut them stupid. New guidelines for alcohol consumption could be a big change.
Speaker 4: The US reportedly is about to change guidance on that Reuters reporting the updated dietary guidelines for Americans will no longer recommend limiting alcohol to one or two drinks a day. Instead, it will suggest we simply drink in moderation.
Speaker 1: ABC's Wing Habit says Canada has adopted a more cautious stance, warning that health risks begin to increase after just two drinks per week. Tomorrow will be the longest day of the year.
Speaker 2: The summer solstice falls on June twentieth in the US and on the twenty first in Europe. On that day, the earth will achieve its maximum tilt toward the sun, allowing for more hours of sunlight in the northern Hemisphere and kicking off the summer months. The closer you get to the north Pole, the more extra sunlight you'll enjoy. Residents in Fairbanks, Alaska, for instance, will see nearly twenty two hours of daylight, and the southern hemisphere, meanwhile, Friday will mark the winter solstice, making it the shortest day of the year. Mark ronnor KFI News.
Speaker 1: My brother and his girlfriend went up to Norway was for the winter solstice, and they said it was the most bizarre thing because I think they went north of Norway and they said the sun never quite came up. It got light, but it was always sort of that twilight and they never actually saw the sun.
Speaker 5: Even Alaska, it's fascinating in deep summer or the deep winter.
Speaker 4: Just bizarre. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and some sunshine all the time. I mean, I like me, I like some sunshine, but twenty two hours a day, that's too much. The latest ice raids in the Southland have targeted the Pasadena area. Congresswoman Judy Chu says multiple operations were carried out in her district and some residents may be being held at the Metropolitan Detention Center. Witnesses say they saw about a half dozen people being taken into custody at a bus stop near an elementary school. City officials say Pasadena police are not involved and do not enforce federal immigration laws. Wildfire season could be a tough one this year. Forecasters say high temperatures are expected, the snowpack is melting quickly, and the landscape is drying out, which increases the risk of fires. Forecasters say even small fires could grow quickly. Fires are a threat pretty much year round now in California, but peak fire season is still June to October. Banks are closed, there's no mail, the stock market is dark, and federal offices are closed. For June teenth, national holiday marks the day June nineteenth, eighteen sixty five that word finally reached to Texas that the slaves had been freed. Word got to Texas more than two years after the Emancipation Proclamation was issued. Events marking the holiday will be held in Alta, Dina, Palmdale, Pacoima, and Manhattan Beach six oh five. It's handle on the news. You can bet he'll be weighing in on what's happening in Israel and Iran. Apparently the President has approved an attack plan but hasn't said whether we're going to do it or not. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Crime and Terror analyst Brad Garrett.
Speaker 3: So, Brad, we just got.
Speaker 1: Word yesterday that Karen Reid was found not guilty of driving her car over her boyfriend and basically leaving her for dead. In the first trial, it was a hung jury. What was the difference in this trial?
Speaker 10: I think the real key in me here is the term beyond a reasonable doubt that the jury is told that of times of if you have doubt, if you have reasonable doubt, then you have to quote the person. And I think in this case, and there's a lot of facts and pieces of information that we don't have time to go through, but I'm going to jump through some of them for you as to why the jury had some reasonable doubt. You go from how the crime scene where o'keith that's the Boston p D police officer, boyfriend of Karen Reid, where he was found. Apparently they used Dixie cups to collect snow that had blooded them, that didn't store it properly. The uh, this is a party that I think presumably is just made up of cops primarily that they send all sorts between each other inappropriate text messages about Karen Reid. Two of the officers well, I think was an ATF agent. They got their phones to pen and they got rid of their phones. Now and it goes on and on, these little things that make the caves tarnished. And there were enough of them in this case, including a Flarensi expert who contended that Karen Reid's car did not the injuries to O'Keefe, the victim in this case, are not consistent with the car being driven over him and to give him severe head injuries. Now, obviously the prosecution had somebody that said the opposite of that. But the point being, all of these things were a build up to the jury. That keep in mind, maybe in the first trial that was a hung jury, the jury said that they had already excluded murder in the case and they were only hung up on manslaughter and that's why they hung. So this is another great example of did she do it? I think it's quite possible she did do it, but it doesn't matter right because the jury founder not guilty. She's acquitted, she's und free, and that's why we have the system we have. You know, if the system doesn't do what it's supposed to do, things like this, unfortunately can happen.
Speaker 1: So the jury might think, yeah, we think she did it, but there were not one hundred percent sure, and so then they can't come back with the guilty verdict.
Speaker 10: Is just all right, I mean if the key is beyond a reasonable doubt, I mean there is some there is some reasonable doubt here between what forensic guests vers are saying through. You know, what they found apparently on the bumper of Karen's car was hair of who keeps the boyfriend? Now I think they lived together. He probably drove that car, so I have to know more context about where it was found out it was found, what part of his body, the hair probably came from all those things that we don't know at this point. But it's you know, and that's what you have the system. I mean, you don't want people convicted of if there's a possibility they didn't do it. But you know, in this case, I you know, I don't know. I mean, if it had all been done properly and you didn't have all the shenanigans by the police. You know, she may well have been found guilty.
Speaker 1: So interesting, so interesting, and like stuff like picking up the blood in the snow with a dixie cup. I mean, did they come back and say, why didn't we wait for the forensics people to get there? Were they worried that this that the snow was going to melt and they wouldn't have the evidence?
Speaker 3: I mean what, I.
Speaker 10: Don't clearly the snow wasn't going to melt. I mean you're talking boss in the middle. Yeah, the idea that that's going to melt any time since. So, I don't know. I'd love to know the backstory. And my guess is one of these cool investigative reporters that have followed this case, we'll write a book about this and then we'll know more. But it's it is a fascinating case, and it's, let's face it, this is not the kind of murder case that typically you and I would talk about. But because it has so many twists and turns, and because of a snake a little little national and I think international interest in the case, here we are talking about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just real quick, you mentioned the texts that were not favorable toward Karen Reid. So do the the other officers just didn't like their didn't like her, didn't like their relationship, or were some of those.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, I think they believe that she clearly did drive over him. You know. Another discrepancy is that, yes, she had a broken tail light, she did go back. What happened is when he didn't come home. Obviously he's not coming home, but he didn't come home. She starts frantically texting him, calling girlfriends, and they go back at like five thirty six in the morning to the house and they start searching the grounds and they Karen actually finds them, you know, which some people thought was interesting how she know where to look because he was covered with snow. But you know, be that what it made. There's a real debate about her tail light that when her car was finally seized, and it wasn't seized by the police for a period of time days maybe weeks, certainly days that the officer deceives that says her tail light actually was cracked but not broken. So you get into then why are there pieces of a tail light at the scene, So again, more reasonable doubt stuff, I suppose, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, So is she done I mean, or can can they retry her on anything or else?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 10: So she's und free, she's down free. I mean once you're once you're found that guilty, you it's all about double jeopardy, right, you can't be retried for something despite the fact that you know people may well believe that she did it. It doesn't matter legally. Now she does face just like an O. J. Simpson faced a civil trial a wrongful death. A civil trial though not may come up with diver verdict. We'll see.
Speaker 1: We'll be watching that. ABC's crime ter analyst Brad Garrett, thanks so much as.
Speaker 10: Always, welcome to take care of him.
Speaker 3: All right, I talked to you soon.
Speaker 1: A twelve year old boy has been killed when the car he was riding in crashed into a parked box truck in Sherman Oaks. The crash happened yesterday morning on North Woodman Avenue near moor Park Avenue. Three others were taken to hospitals. Leaders in Pico Rivera have condemned immigration raids at stores like Food for Less and Lows. The number of people detained is not known. Protests have followed, stretching from city Hall to Washington Boulevard. The mayor of Santa Anna is facing calls for her to step down. People who live in the city say they want the mayor to stand up for the immigrants who live there.
Speaker 15: Instead of notifying your city of ice presence, you chose to remain silent, and you scolded your reps that told you to apply pressure. Instead of showing support to peaceful protesters, you chose to paint them as rioters.
Speaker 1: Mayor Valerie Amescua recently condemned the violence that happened during the protests against ice raids. Hundreds of people showed up to city Hall at a meeting this week, and when Mayor Mmesco walked in, the crowd greeted her with booze. A military contractor in San Diego has pleaded guilty to hiring illegal immigrants. John Washburn admitted to employing at least ten of them at San Diego Powder and protective coatings. Prosecutors say some of them lived in a warehouse that stores Navy submarine parts. The illegal workers apparently were kept away from military bases to avoid screening. Amazon is trying to challenge way Mo.
Speaker 9: Amazon is gearing up to make ten thousand robotaxis annually at a plant near Silicon Valley. Amazon started looking at the robo taxi market five years ago when it shelled out one point two billion dollars for a self driving startup called Zeus. This is the brand behind a ride hailing service the plans to charge for rides in Las Vegas late this year. Tesla CEO Elon Musk is also vying to join the autonomous race.
Speaker 3: Deporah mark kof I News.
Speaker 1: I'm still way too nervous to get into a rivorless carbon Maybe that's just me. SpaceX rocket being tested in Texas has exploded at the launch site.
Speaker 16: In preparation for its tenth spaceflight. Starship was sitting on a test stand at the SpaceX facility on the South Texas coast. Just after eleven PM, a small plume of smoke spat from an upper section of the rocket.
Speaker 1: ABC's Jim Ryan says moments later it exploded. SpaceX put out a statement saying all personnel are safe and accounted for and that there are no hazards to nearby communities. The Bus family has agreed to sell its majority stake in the Lakers to Mark Walter and TWG Global for a record ten billion dollars. Walter holds stakes in several sports organizations, including the Dodgers, the La Sparks, the Billy Jean King Cup, Cadillac Formula One team, and the Professional Women's Hockey League. Hurricane Eric has made landfall in Mexico's western state of Wahaka. The Nation Hurricane Center in Miami says maximum sustained winds or clocked at one hundred and twenty five miles per hour, with gusts higher than that. The storm was downgraded just a little bit before it made land call for a landfall, from a Category four to a Category three. Long Beach has become the latest city in SoCal to approve drinking on the street. The Long Beach City Council is okay the establishment of entertainment zones along Ocean Boulevard and around the Long Beach Arena, Terrace, Theater and Pacific Ballroom. It's expected to be open this summer. Santa Monica just opened it's entertainment zone along the Third Street Promenade last week at six oh five. It is handle on the news, and of course we're going to be talking more about the sale of the Lakers to the co owner of the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you can have one sports team, why not have ten?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Okay, today is June teenth For most of us, it's just you know, it's not just federal holiday, so offices are closed, federal offices are closed, no mail, that kind of thing. But it's obviously a much bigger holiday than that, and it's going to be marked around the Southland this They're starting out in Pacoima with Ople's Walk for Freedom and it starts at six o'clock, so if you're not there, it's a little too late. But I was fascinated by it because I'm like, who is Opel and why what's her walk for freedom? So the walk actually start, that's the walk will start at seven am. Da da da d oh. Registration is at six. If you want to run down there, you've got time, okay.
Speaker 3: So Ople is Opel Lee. She is now ninety eight years old.
Speaker 1: She campaigned for decades to get June teenth made into a federal holiday, and of course that came to fruition on June seventeenth, twenty twenty one, when President Biden signed the juneteenth National Independence Day Act.
Speaker 3: Lee was there for the signing. Ceremony.
Speaker 1: Can't imagine that must have been so such a huge thing because he'd been campaigning for it for so long. She's known as the Grandmother of June teenth for the walking campaign she started when she was eighty nine years old to get the day declared a national holiday.
Speaker 3: And she walks two and a half miles.
Speaker 1: And so I'm guessing that Ople's Walk for Freedom this morning is going to be two and a half miles. It honors the two and a half years it took to inform the enslaved people in Texas of the Emancipation Proclamation. Of course, that was issued by President Lincoln on September twenty second, eighteen sixty two. He declared all slaves were free as of January first, eighteen sixty three. Okay, So June teenth marks the anniversary of when Union Army General Gordon Granger rode into town and read General Order number three in Galveston, Texas. It happened on June nineteenth, eighteen sixty five, and it began with the people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with the proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free.
Speaker 3: So it was like two.
Speaker 1: And a half years before they got word that they were free.
Speaker 5: There was probably a lot all of stubbornness and resistance and back in that day that took the caused it to take that long to get there, because yeah, I mean things did go faster than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it didn't take two and a half years. Yeah, it would be interesting to dive into why it took so long. Did they prevent them, did they forget that there were still slaves in Galveston? I mean, who knows? But anyway, so that's why they're doing Opal's Walk for Freedom. And then Alta Dina Historical Society is marking Juneteenth with the luncheon Faces of Resilience, the African American cultural legacy before and after the Eaton Canyon fire still affecting people so much. The luncheon is noon to one thirty at Loma Alta Park and you can still buy tickets either in advance or at the door. A Juneteene celebration, including live music, a classic car show, food vendors, and other fly friendly activities is being held.
Speaker 3: At Pons Lawn Square.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure how to say that in Palmdale from eleven to three. Also, there's a ceremony for June teenth in Manhattan Beach at Bruce's Beach from ten to eleven. Of course, that's the one that was recently given back to the family that it was taken from. And then also in honor of Juneteenth. Admission to the Natural History Museum of La County and La the Librea tar Pits from three to five this afternoon is complimentary.
Speaker 3: Have you been to the tar Pits lately? I don't. I think it's a weird correlation with Juneteenth, but they're really cool. Also, the ferris wheel at Pacific Park.
Speaker 1: On the Santa Monica Pier will be illuminated in red, white, and blue patterns representing the Juneteenth flag, along with green, red and gold animations inspired by the Pan African flag. So celebrate Juneteenth. I just think it's so two and.
Speaker 5: A half years and a half years no Internet.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. The State Department says foreign citizens who apply for student visas will have their social media accounts screened. Department officials said Wednesday that new student visa applicants will be asked to make their social media accounts public so they can be reviewed, and that officers at US consulates will be looking for any indication of hostility towards the citizens, culture, government institutions, or founding principles of the United States and Iranian missile has hit the main hospital in southern Israel. Officials at the hospital said it did extensive damage, but there were no serious injuries. At least forty people were hurt. At the same time, Israel has carried out strikes on Iran's Aaric heavy water reactor in its latest attack on Iran's sprawling nuclear program. Iranian State TV said the facility had been evacuated before the attack. Iran's Supreme leader is not backing down despite talk of US involvement in the Iran Israel conflict well.
Speaker 3: The Ayatola, saying surrender to what the Iranian nation cannot be surrendered. We will not accept any kind of submission.
Speaker 10: He warned. The US would suffer irreparable consequences if it intervenes militarily.
Speaker 1: ABC's Jarine Shaw says non essential US diplomatic staff and their families have been evacuated in Israel. Downey is offering online ice rate information for residents and businesses. The site has comprehensive information about recent immigration enforcement activity and explains what the city can and can't do. The mayor and council members say they want residents to be aware of their rights. They're also looking into offering webinars and workshops to businesses that are affected by the raids. The website is downyca dot org Slash your Rights. An assembly member from the Farms of California says he supports immigration, but people do want law and order.
Speaker 17: We can't incentivize criminal activity by allowing people or even allowing farmers or different individuals to take advantage of those that have committed a crime coming into this country.
Speaker 1: Fresno assembly Member David Tangapa says guest worker programs or farm worker programs don't work unless there is some sort of blanket amnesty. Says people need to become citizens to stay here. He recently sponsored his mother becoming a legal citizen and says people need to follow the rules and have trust in the system. A brushfire near Paris in Riverside County has been stopped at about fifty acres. All evacuation orders have been lifted. The fire was reported late yesterday afternoon in Mead Valley. Firefighters from multiple agencies were sent to put it out. The response included four CalFire air tankers and two water dropping helicopters. Jaws turns fifty this weekend. The Killer Shark movie instill the sense of fear and people for years, but biologist Great Schoemal says people have softened on sharks over the decades.
Speaker 18: Don't be afraid of them, you know, understand them. Maybe you'll even see one, which is kind of cool. You know, they're fascinating animals and they're very, very important to a healthy ecosystem.
Speaker 1: I would only like to see one at the Aquarium of the Pacific.
Speaker 3: Even fed the sharks.
Speaker 1: No no, No, no, no No. Jaws was released in nineteen seventy five. Nominated for four Academy Awards, it won three, including one for that suspenseful score.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The city of Santa Ana's dropped a proposal that would have required police to post warnings of ice sweeps. The idea was scrapped after city leaders got a letter from US Attorney Bill Asale that such a policy would endanger officers, disrupt criminal investigations, and could expose city leaders and staff to possible federal charges and prosecution. Israeli strikes on Iran have killed at least six hundred and thirty nine people. Human rights groups more than thirteen hundred others have been injured since the bombing started a week ago. Most of Iran's missiles launched on Israel have been intercepted by Israel's Iron Dome, but some did get through, including a missile that landed on a hospital in southern Israel overnight. Someone just missed out on one and a half million dollars. The California Lottery says a winning powerball ticket from December was never claimed. Winners have six months to claim a prize, and Monday was the deadline. The money will now go into funds that will support local public schools. The lottery says over a billion dollars in latt of winnings have gone unclaimed a billion dollars. The largest was a sixty two million dollars Super Lotto Plus jackpot back in twenty fifteen. We're just minutes away from handle. On the news this morning, Israel says it will intensify its attacks against Iran after a missile hit a hospital that we just told you about in Southern Iran. Bill's going to be talking about that right now. Let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan.
Speaker 3: Hey, so, Jim, we have to go back a couple of weeks. The guy who escaped.
Speaker 1: From a prison in Arkansas and was on the loose for a couple of weeks is now back in custody. But so we want to talk a little bit about how he got out and then how he was able to escape and how he was able to get away from law enforcement for so long.
Speaker 16: I wish the Coen Brothers would get a hold of this story and do something with it, because it is like a movie script.
Speaker 1: There's so many escapes, and that other one from Louisiana in New Orleans where ten people got out, I'm like, that's got to be a movie at some point.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 16: This one is really something though, and very cinematic. The guy, Okay, Grant Harden is the guy. He's fifty six years old. He used to be a police chief in a small town in Arkansas. He's had police jobs over the years and trusted law enforce her until twenty seventeen, when he got fired from a city police force. Took it out on an employee by shooting and killing the guy. He's taken it to custody. They run a DNA check and find a perfect match his DNA to a rape that happened twenty years earlier. He was convicted of the rape, convicted of the murder, sent to prison for eighty years. Was doing time at the Calico Rock Medium Security prison in Arkansas and biding his time and watching and looking and building trust among the jail staff, the prison staff there. Eventually got a job in the prison kitchen, and that really was the key to his ability to escape amy.
Speaker 3: Okay, so how well, okay.
Speaker 16: So he takes an old prison a prison jumpsuit. They're white, right, unless you're high risk than when they're in, which case they're orange. But his was white, and so he in the kitchen. Of course, what do they have there. They've got tea and coffee, spices and things that can be used to dye clothing, right, you soak something white in coffee and tea or potentially or he also had access to felt depens because they used them to mark mark, you know, the containers for food. And he may have just sat there over the months and years really and colored the white jumpsuit to look black anyway, he made it look enough like a jail or a prison guard's uniform that on May twenty fifth, he put the thing on. He had sort of a makeshift vest and a ball cap, and in surveillance video you can see him pushing a cart. He pushes it very casually over toward an access point and he's buzzed on through and walks away. That was it so just And of course he was captured what twelve days later, He was only a mile and a half away, So you apparently had no help. There's no indication he had help from inside or from outside.
Speaker 1: So this so reminds me too of like Shawshank Redemption, because there was a line in it where they say that it takes pressure and time, and he had the time, Like you said, he could have been doing this for months and months and months.
Speaker 16: Right well, and building up that trust. You know, only trustees are allowed to work in the prison kitchen, and he apparently was trusted enough. This was a medium security prison, and I suspect that prison operators around the country are reading this case very carefully to see what should we be doing to prevent this kind of thing. Where we are. He now, by the way, has added charges on his rap sheet, and he's been moved to the maximum security prison in Arkansas, from which no one has ever escaped. He's locked in his cell twenty three hours a day with only this small slit in the door to look through. Ye, his little twelve days of freedom are costing him quite dearly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I would imagine he'll be wearing orange, no longer white?
Speaker 16: Probably So. Did I even name the gads as Grant Harden is his name? Did I say that? I might not have named him the whole time.
Speaker 3: I don't remember.
Speaker 1: But I think we all know what you're talking about because it captured our interest in our imagination. And I think you're right it should be a movie because it's just it's so fascinating Coen Brothers.
Speaker 16: If you're listening, by the rights exactly.
Speaker 1: ABC's Jim Ryan, thanks so much for the information. That's really really interesting.
Speaker 16: See avey.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. The longtime owners of the La Lakers are selling their majority stake in the team. Klac's Matt money Smith says it was probably an easy decision for the bus family.
Speaker 7: They know. They probably just looked at the number and said, we can still be involved, but we're no longer calling the shots, but they'll still be part of the Lakers.
Speaker 1: The buses are selling to Dodgers call owner Mark Walter. The sale still needs final approval from the NBA. Jerry Buss purchased the La Lakers, along with the La Kings and the Forum for sixty seven and a half million dollars in nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 3: This ten billion dollars.
Speaker 1: The La City Council's approved a five million dollar loan to the LAPD to cover overtime. Officers have been kept on for extra hours in recent weeks as demonstrations against federal immigration enforcement have spread around the city. The council's decision takes the money from the city's reserves and asks the city administrator to come up with a plan for the police department to pay it back. It's estimated the total cost to the city in the wake of the protest has been about twenty million dollars, which includes damage to city property and clean up efforts. More employees are sending workers shopping for their own health insurance.
Speaker 9: Companies are giving employees money to buy their own coverage in what's known as individual coverage reimbursement arrangements instead of offering a plan through work. Advocates say this approach provides small companies that could not afford insurance a chance to offer something that also caps a growing expense for employers and fits conservative goals of giving people more purchasing power over their coverage. But this approach places the risk for finding the right coverage on the employee depor Mark Koffi news.
Speaker 1: Well, the Dodgers are dominating the Padres and just left the room, winning their third straight against San Diego last night thanks to Will Smith.
Speaker 3: Allowed and long strike for Suarez. Now the O two pitch, Smith pushes a fly ball.
Speaker 4: Right center field.
Speaker 3: Tatis on their own at the warning track at.
Speaker 9: The law it's gone, it's gone, and this game is over.
Speaker 12: Over.
Speaker 1: Just got be all the reach of.
Speaker 4: For no no tatist Junior.
Speaker 8: Will Smith comes.
Speaker 12: Home and now we go home.
Speaker 3: They celebrate in front of the play.
Speaker 8: Oh walk up home wrong for Will Smith.
Speaker 4: The Dodgers win in the ninth, four to three.
Speaker 3: And I love La playing in the background. That's my favorite favorite thing.
Speaker 1: Well, Tonight, in celebration of June teenth, It's Black Heritage Night and the Dodgers take on the Padres one more time at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: First pitch goes out at seven.
Speaker 1: You can listen to all Dodger games all season long on AM five to seventy LA Sports live from the Gallpin Motors Broadcast Booth, and stream all Dodgers games in HD on the iHeartRadio app. Keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles or County.
Speaker 3: Live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom. I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: This has been your wake up call, and don't forget if you missed any of wake Up Call. You can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.