Speaker 1: With Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today.
Speaker 3: Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 2: Ri Sorry we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time.
Speaker 4: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered.
Speaker 2: In that case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary board. We're prohibited by long eighteen plus terms and conditions applag see website for details.
Speaker 2: Step into the world of power, loyalty, and luck. I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse. With family canoli's and spins mean everything. Now you want to get mixed up in the family business. Introducing the Godfather at Champa Casino dot com. Test your luck in the shadowy world at the Godfather slot.
Speaker 5: Someday I will call upon you to do a service for me.
Speaker 2: Play the Godfather now at Champacasino dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the vdW group. No purchase necessary. I believe we're pribited by loss he terms and conditions eighteen plus lo it is.
Speaker 4: Ryan here, and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: Are you at fist pumper, A wooo, a handclapper, a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino. At chumbacasino dot com, choose some hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever at Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 5: Noep, we necessary dripod wherever he if I lost the terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 1: With Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today.
Speaker 3: Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 5: Ri?
Speaker 2: Sorry we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time.
Speaker 4: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered.
Speaker 1: In that case, I pronounce you Lucky Hys for free Lucky Landslots dot com. Dagley bonus is a waiting, no purchase necessary board. We're prohibited by Lack eight Team, plus terms and conditions of the flag. See website for details.
Speaker 3: You are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupanski. Good Evening, When, if ever, does a thought cross the line and become a crime? Raw Deal is the untold story of former News New York City police officer Gil Valley, who in twenty twelve became known throughout the world as the Cannibal Cop. It is part of the controversial saga of a man who is imprisoned for thought crimes, and a look into a world of dark sexuality and violence that most readers don't know exists, except maybe in their nightmares. After Valley's arrest, media coverage exploded in a frenzy of lurid tabloid headlines and stories about the cop charged with planning the kidnap, torture, rape, and eat women, including his own wife. But here's the fascinating part. There was no such plan. In reality, Valley was simply engaging in his own private fantasies, albeit fantasies that are born and grotesque, and for that he was thrown into prison. Valley faced life in prison for his charges and served twenty one months for nothing more than having online chats about his fantasies. Is finally exonerated of all charges. Raw Deal raises the question of when does thought become a crime, a question that goes beyond his perverse sexuality, to answers societies must deal with in order to meet the challenge of terrorism. It will challenge the reader's beliefs about free speech, the right to privacy, and government's role in watching over us. The book they're featuring this evening is Raw Deal, The Untold story of New York Police Departments Cannibal cop with my special guests, author and journalists Gil Valley and Brian Whitney. Welcome to the program, gentlemen, Gil Valley and Brian Whitney.
Speaker 5: Thank you ver much, thanks for having us.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. Let's start with you, Gil, Thank you very much for coming on to do this interview, and congratulations on this book. Very very very interesting.
Speaker 5: Let's shots.
Speaker 3: Tell us how we get to You're welcome. Now, tell us how you came to get a publisher to publish this story. This is basically a memoir. This is your story. So tell us just a little bit about how you came to Wild Blue Press and how they agreed to let you write this book.
Speaker 5: Well, there were people interested in this story for the longest time. I knew I had wanted to write a book because there was still so much misinformation out there. A lot of the facts out in the media were incorrect, and I just felt I owed it to myself and to my family and the people who's afforded me to get the full, accurate story out there. So I hooked up with Brian. We clicked pretty much right away, and Wild Blue was one of the first, I think the first publisher we actually directly contacted, and it was important for me to tell the story a way I wanted it to. You know, it was my story, so I didn't want a situation where someone would agree and then kind of hijack the story. I wanted it to be done my way, and Wild Blue was very bold and brave because there's a lot of graphic stuff in this book. Dan and you read it, I'm sure you can agree with that.
Speaker 3: Sure, So.
Speaker 5: You know, I just have to thank them. You know, they gave me the platform to finally for the first time, and this has been going on now for four years, four years out of my life, and this is the first time the full story has been out there. So I owe them a lot for giving me the opportunity to tell my.
Speaker 3: Story, certainly, and it's for those people that have seen Cannibal Cop on Netflix, Aaron Carr's documentary, this is a lot different, an incredibly different story that is being told rather than that documentary. And we'll talk about that a little bit later, as you do in your book. Now, Brian uh tell us why you became interested in this story and working on this story with Gil Valley.
Speaker 6: Sure, when it first came out, it was it was just all over the news, is that this this really scary cop was like trying to kidnap these women and and he was going to like kidnap them, He's going to kill them, He's going to eat them, and so on and so forth. And then very quickly it became really apparent to me, and I would think any anybody that was really paying attention that that he hadn't done anything, that these were just fantasies, and that that you know, there was no real intent. So then when he was actually convicted and and sent to prison, I actually tried to get in touch with Gil back then, Like I tried to get in touch with him through his lawyer back then when he was when he was incarcerated, and didn't have any luck on that, And then when he was exonerated, I reached out through his lawyer, the same lawyer, and she put us in touch. So I've been wanting to work with him on it for critical years.
Speaker 3: What is your background informs your decision to work on this case? Basically on this book, I should say, but also what does your background include you talked about the ALCU.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I worked for the American Civil Liberties Union as a as a prisoner advocate. Basically it was called a prison law coordinator position. But I've been ghostwriting co authoring for a while. I did not ghost write this with Gil. We definitely co authored it the whole way, but I've been doing some ghostwriting work. And I was also already really interested in prisoner civil rights, and also I'm really interested in people being sort of judged because of having thoughts that don't fit in with the norm, which gil Gil certainly fits into that category. The whole thing is really interesting to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's no denying you know that. I mean, there's some weird, deving things. But the question isn't whether people agree with that or if people like me for that. The question is did I belong in prison? And anyone who pays attention, anyone who takes the time to read the book, will hopefully reach that right conclusion that I didn't you know, of course, no, I did not belong in prison.
Speaker 3: Now, just like any book, we are going to have to go back in this story, as you do, to tell us how you grew up. How you got to the point where these fantasies were important enough that you risk certain things in your life and you were discovered. So let's at least find out how you grew up. Everybody wants to know how. Again, they have an idea of who you are and how you became that way. But in the book, you tell us how you grew up in Queens, New York, So tell.
Speaker 5: Us, Yeah, what your was like? Yeah, extremely normal childhood. My parents separated when I was very young, that was about the only thing that wasn't normal. But I went to Catholic school my whole life. I had no problems making friends. I played baseball. I was basically the all American kid. When I hit puberty, I started realizing that I was getting aroused by certain things. I would see a TV show or a movie and I would see scenes of a woman tied up, and that's what aroused me. It's not something I ever volunteered to people. I didn't think. I mean, I just didn't want to tell anyone that, you know, it was something I kept to myself. It never affected me at all. I was a honor roll student in high school, I took college courses. I was a deansless student in college. I mean, none of this stuff ever affected who I was in real life. But it was still something I wanted to keep to myself because I was kind of afraid how people would react. So it was really about the bondage type stuff, seeing a woman tied up and helpless. When I discovered pornography in my fifteen sixteen years old, I tended to gravitate toward websites that cater to that stuff. Women tied up, and I discovered one of these cannibal porn websites to college, and the whole story is told in the books, so I don't want to get into too much detail there, but and you know, from there, I discovered the dark the website, the Dark Side of network. It was a social network with people with similar fantasies could chat and role play about similar things. So that's the cliff notes version.
Speaker 3: Before we get to all that. Though you talk about this normal upbringing you normal, you talk about having you what would you call it fixed in terms of just like a gay person doesn't choose these images, the things that you fantasized about and the things that turned you on initially, like I say, watching television programs that you had this idea of the bondage, and so you gravitate towards that. But in your real life because this again, this is something you kept secret. This is not something you shared with anyone, especially in the beginning. What was your real life dating life. Like you talk about college, you talk about high school, you talk about how shy you were, So tell our audience who you really were. And in real life how sexual were you?
Speaker 5: Not very sexual? I never had problems making friends. I had friends, male friends and female friends. If I liked the girl, I tend to get to get a little shy and I would clam up a bit. I didn't have sex until I was twenty five. There was nothing that really preoccupied me that much. I wasn't overly concerned and oh my god, I have to have sex before I graduate from college. It just never you know. I was very focused on school and you know, doing well and just setting myself up to succeed in life. But I had very normal relationships. After all this happened, after I was arrested, you know, law enforcement went back to basically every woman I ever crossed paths with and in my life, it was ridiculous, and ninety nine percent of them had nothing but good things to say about me.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Gill was a normal guy. I never felt threatened by him. We were friends, We hung out all the time, and that's what That's who I really was, just a regular, unassuming, nice guy.
Speaker 3: How do you become interested you're in college. How do you become interested because you think going to college thinking about law enforcement? How is it that you get influenced to consider law enforcement and take us from there? Once you do have this interest.
Speaker 5: Sure, I declared psychology early on as a major. After sophomore year, I had an internship in Manhattan in an office building. Regular nine to five office job paid pretty well for a you know, a twenty year old. But the one thing I took from there is that there's no way in hell I wanted to be in an office or sit behind a computer screen for the rest of my life. So when I went back to college, I doubled up on criminal justice and I started taking some classes where I had police officers and retired captains Down in Maryland. I went to the University of Maryland, so they made law enforcement sound very interesting, and I started to look at the NLPD, and the benefits they offered were outstanding, you know, the whole thing. And I wanted a career where I could kind of do something new every day. I could be outdoors and I could help people for a living. That's what really drew me to become a police officer. And I loved it, you know, for the most part. Six years. I passed the sergeant exam. There were things, of course, I didn't like, but that's any job. I do miss it. I wish I had my old life back. But that ship, unfortunately has sailed, and here we are.
Speaker 3: You can say you enjoyed being a cop. You were a good cop, you were in you were a cop for the right reasons, and you didn't take advantage of being a cop you were.
Speaker 5: And yeah, six years. I never had one civilian complaint on my record. I never had any disciplinary problems. As I said, I passed a sarganst exam on the first attempt. I had a very good and rewarding six years. And it's something that no one can take for me. I know, I was a good cop. I was well respected by my peers, by my supervisors, and by the community. So you know, like I said, there are things I miss. I missed that career of helping people, you know, for a living. There's no greater calling, I think, you know, but that said something I don't think I can ever do again, unfortunately.
Speaker 3: Now you also talk about relationships that you had were long standing relationships that never really evolved into romantic relationships, like Melanie and k from Maryland. So tell us first about Melanie and basically what really it entailed the relationship, What did you would have liked in real life? And then what was your fantasy at that time, so that we can understand a little bit of your thought process in real life.
Speaker 5: And the fact Melanie's not her real name. There are some names I changed in the book. I just didn't feel like it was appropriate to bring these women back into the whole thing again. You know, they did nothing wrong, they didn't want to be involved in any of this, so I decided to change their name. So well, you know, we'll stick with Melanie. But she was the first girl I fell in love with, and everyone remembers the first person they fall in love with. I was sixteen years old, and I just I had it bad for her. You know, she like she could do no wrong. We would hang out and she was frustrating, you know, we had a tumultuous back and forth. We would have an argument and we'd moved up again. And this was like eight nine years where nothing ever, nothing ever happened. You know, the more mature me would move on like right away. But I don't know, It's just always it was one of those things, you know, where I always held out hope, but it never happened. And the fantasies I was having were the same fantasies A bondage, domination and all that kind of stuff, and I and I centered them around women that I knew in my life. That's where although my fantasies are unusual and abnormal and deviate, the fact that I centered them around women that I knew is not unusual at all. I think when people have fantasies, they they center them around people they know when they realize. I don't think there's anything abnormal about that aspect, you know, right.
Speaker 3: So you again, you as you talk about you have these normal relationships. They're platonic. Uh, they're you're close friends, mind you, and but you have a fantasy life that is can we say fair, it is evolving. You are now interested in some websites. We talk about Mookie's Kitchens. So just when is it that you again add cannibalism to part of your fantasy.
Speaker 5: It was I think by sophomore year college. I was about twenty years old and I discovered that website, and it was it was more about the idea of a woman being tied up and like in preparation to be cooked. My fantasy's never got to the part where you know, it was actually carving and it like the all the bloody stuff. It never got that far. It was more about the bonded stuff. And I liked the scenario where she'd be, you know, helpless and like that would be the peak of it. Yeah, part of this is pretty I mean, it's still like it's one thing to write it in a book and to write about it in an email. It's still pretty difficult to talk about it, even on the phone, you know what I mean. It's it's it's something I'll never get used to again. I didn't want any of this stuff out there. That this is out there, not by my choice, but it's out there. I wrote a book, so I know I have to talk about it. But that doesn't mean that it's that it's easy.
Speaker 6: No, I was just going to say quickly. I mean, this to me is one of the most interesting aspects of the of the whole scenario because because so many different people have very odd fantasies. Some of them are some of them are dark, some of them are scary, some of them are really silly. I mean, there's so many different paraphilias and fetishes that that people have. But I mean, Gill is the only person I can think of that was actually you know, incarcerated for thinking these types of things. So I think even him trying to explain the explain the type of things that he was into. It's it's if we were all forced to explain the types of things that we were really into, I think would all be most of us are a lot of us that we might be a little bit uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: Explain that way. I can, Yeah, I have, I can relate to that. Yes, you're you're absolutely right. So maybe we'll what I just wanted to tell what I wanted to go ahead, Sorry.
Speaker 5: No, I was just gonna just take you back all that. This isn't three guys, you know, grabbing a beer. This is this is a show, and you know people are listening to those people I don't know, and it's just anyway, the points made. It's tough to talk about. So let's uh, let's keep it moving now.
Speaker 3: The other part of this is that you like very much like a Penthouse Forum. You know, if you could believe every one of those letters into the editor on Penhouse Forum, very much of this. You had an interest in the writing, and you're a good writer, obviously from this book, but also that you write in this book that you were creative and you were half of this or a good portion of this is the storytelling aspect, So maybe you can tell us about the websites you gravitated towards and really what happened in terms of finding people that you've chatted with and were more interested in, say the regular people that were on this, say forum or site.
Speaker 5: Well, the website Dark Fetish Network it was. It kind of builds itself as a Facebook for people, like a social network for people with unusual fetishes, and it's more about communication people talking about the things they're into. And then you find they divide those site into groups, so you get into who's more into bondage and domination. You see the members who are you know, into that stuff. And you know, some people wrote better than others. So I would chat and communicate with people who, like me, were decent storytellers and you know, not to brag about my writing skills, but I got the FBI to believe that I was a real kidnapper. You know, I was gonna really kidnap three you know, women on different continents on the same day. I mean, the FBI actually believed in that, As ridiculous as that sounds, but yeah, so I enjoyed the scenes. They were collaborative role plays, They were fictional stories, but they were detailed. They sounded detailed, they sounded very graphic, and the whole idea it's like, who can all right, Like this guy writes pretty well, let me see if I can outdo him? Could I say something more? Dvan? And that's how it kind of snowballed, but it never got out of control again. It never affected my real life. At this point, I was a police officer. I had just met Kathleen, who ended up becoming my wife, and this stuff's never ever bled into my real life. It never affected my ability to be a father or a husband. It was something I been on the side. It was something that I still kept private. The only people who knew were anonymous screen names on the internet. You know. I never shared my name where I was, from what I did for a living, and neither did anybody else. We were all just anonymous screen names, and I think that helped with you know, when when you're just a screen name on a computer, you can pretty much say whatever you want and you feel safe and no one's ever going to find out. But when it's Gill Valley, when my name's attached to it now that all has happened, and you know, I was forced to read a lot of the things that I wrote as part of the trial. And when I read a newspaper article, they always, you know, sign some really sick stuff that I wrote. And it's very tough for me to even read that, and I'm the one who wrote it, but just seeing my name next to it, it's a kind of a different element. I don't know if you guys could follow that, but I'm kind of rambling a bit, so I don't know if you want to.
Speaker 3: Yeah about let's talk about Kathleen, because your marriage indicates a lot of things. It helped to exonerate you in terms, uh, it was fodder for documentary. Again, I'm sort of rambling a little bit here, but let's talk about Kathleen and the marriage. What you thought at the time, obviously wanted to marry her, How was this relationship, what did it turn into in terms of what did you think this relationship was? And tell us about your your life married.
Speaker 5: We had a wonderful three years together and I try and hang on to the positive memory and there were a lot of them. You know, she was the woman. I really she was the love of my life. I married her. We were just we clicked from the first date. There was this chemistry there and we clicked right off the bat and it was just a really, really good thing. It was a great three years, and unfortunately it came to this where, you know, I don't want to get too much into what's going on now with the family court and our daughter, but know we had a very very good relationship. She got pregnant. There was a surprise. It was not something we planned that soon, but you know, we made it work. We moved into a very big apartment in Queens and just life was so good. But I was making enough money where she could be a stay at home mom, and that's what she wanted to do, and that's what worked for us. You know, she's hit at home with the with the baby. I worked, I did all the shopping. I did, and I never complained about it. It was something I enjoyed. You know, a man is supposed to provide for his family. You know. Then the arrest happened and the trial happened, and there was this whole portrayal out there that I was a deadbeat father and I didn't care about the family, and that's just that didn't do anything to push a very to convict me. But as a man with pride, it really hurt to listen to my wife, you know, tell this narrative of what life was like in our home that just was completely untrue. And I think I highlight certain things in the book and I provide, you know, text messages from when we were married, and anyone who reads those can't conclude that this was, you know, an unhappy situation.
Speaker 3: Well, let's go back and give her a chance to be fair as well, to see why she might be motivated to do the thing shit that she did. And you do provide that as well by saying, listen, I felt bad for her, and you at least allude to and the reader can read for themselves that this is a This was a very very aggressive prosecution. And obviously if you're exonerated, then somebody was Again you accuse them of prosecutor of prosecutorial misconduct, and you name this person. We'll talk about that in a little bit, but let's talk about how this happens, because this isn't somebody went online, needless to say, they told you the FBI when they first spoke to you. And let's not get ahead in that that they had been under surveillance for eighteen months. But let's as you do know, and you do write in a book, tell us how this came to be. Your computer was in repair, you shared a computer, What were the sites that you were into at that time, and how was it that Kathleen stumbled onto this and what was her reaction?
Speaker 5: There was the same website. It was the Dark Fetish Network. That was really the what I did when when I went on the computer and when I looked at planography, that that was my go to. That was what I gravitated towards. So, as you mentioned, we shared a computer and one day I left my account open and she logged in and she saw some vanilla bondage website. I don't even know what it was, but it was just like pictures of women tied up. Nothing violent, nothing bloody or gory or nothing like the Dark Fetish Network. So she woke me up, and you know, she was like she actually felt bad that she stumbled upon it, like she was almost blaming herself. He's like, you know, like I didn't mean to I wasn't stooping. He was just there and I'm sorry. So she was the one feeling bad. I was feeling kind of embarrassed because, as I said earlier, I had never told anyone about my interest in pornography. So I was embarrassed. I was nervous, but we talked it through. I told I didn't give her a whole thing. I told her, listen, I've been you know, I'm kind of interested in bondage stuff. And then she came back with, well, let's see if we could spice up our sex life with this. So she we talked about maybe going into a sex shop and buying some toys. I never did because two weeks later she installed spywear. She thought I was having an affair because of the time I was spending late at night on the computer on the internet, so she thought I was having an affair, so she installed spywear, and then that's how she found a dark fetish network and then all chats and emails and obviously she was horrified, and I never I never blamed her for the way she reacted. I just imagine the person you're married to, you find out they're into this really violent stuff, and you know, centering the fantasies around people that you know in your real life, and in my case, I use pictures of her too. I use pictures of Kathleen as part of the story. So yeah, I never faulted her for how she reacted. Her first reaction despite all of that was Okay, I'm gonna get away for a while, but let's find a couple's therapists and work this out. You know, she wasn't giving up on the relationship for you know, so I figured, as bad as it was, that was about as good of a reaction as she could possibly have at you know, at some point, she went home to Nevada with the baby, and somebody talked her into going to law enforcement, and that's when everything came crashing down. That's where I never fault at her for how everything played out. I fault at the FBI for just being incredibly stupid and dishonest and you know, just completely turning her, convincing her that this was a real thing, that she was on the verge of being murdered, when it was so clear that that was the furthest thing from reality. So even today, I haven't spoken to Kathleen since all this happened, and we have family court stuff pending. But some days I get a little upset and I kind of redirect that anger toward the FBI and the prosecutors and the people who completely turned her because again her initial reaction was, Okay, I'm like, I'm gonna get away, but this is something we're gonna work out. And you know, once law enforcement got involved in these absolute corrupt criminals, these stupid morons, you know, once they got involved, that was it. You know, everything was over.
Speaker 7: Lucky Land Casino asking people, what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 1: Lucky in line of the Delhi I guess.
Speaker 6: Ah, in my dentist's office more than months.
Speaker 4: Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 4: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 4: Yes, excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 1: I never win in tel.
Speaker 2: Well, there you have it.
Speaker 4: You could get lucky anyway playing at Lucky landsloughts dot com play for free right now?
Speaker 3: Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 7: No, we're just necessary for my long eighteen plus terms and conditions of plus Webster details. Okay, Round two, name something that's not boring.
Speaker 5: Laundry, a book club, computer, solitaire, huh.
Speaker 7: Oh, sorry, we were looking for Chumba Casino Chum. That's right, Chumbucasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes. Chum Chumba Casino dot com eighty plus start the conditions of plus website.
Speaker 3: Details Now, Brian, I wanted to ask you you talked when we when I first asked you that you initially tried to reach out to to Gil right away when you heard about this. Now, with your background, what did you see initially, even though the press was again very tabloid esque and running with the cannibal cop so very lurid, tabloid esque kind of coverage, it seemed, what did you see initially? And what did you see with him being denied bail? Which is quite unusual for anything outside of murder, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean initially all the press coverage was completely one sided, like the first few days and so like at that moment, I assumed I think everybody thought guilty because it was just they were just going at that point off of what the FBI gave, you know, gave the gave the press. But even when the press started coming out after a few weeks. I mean, the fact that he was on a I mean, he was on a fetish site, and I know that. I know that to a lot of people that probably doesn't mean a whole lot, but you know, well, what does that matter if he's saying these types of things. I mean, the place that he was actually talking to the other people was a fantasy site. He wasn't like on some sort of secret Gorilla dark web place where he was plotting with these people. It was a very That's what it was for. It was for people to have fantasies, to talk to people about their fantasies, and it just was. It was just fairly obvious to me and a lot of other people that I knew, because a lot of people I knew were talking about the case. A lot of people are talking about the case all over the world, and it just didn't seem right. It just didn't seem right that this maniac police officer was planning on kidnapping and eating all these women. And then obviously Gil already alluded to this, but then when any sort of facts started coming out, it was it was like, you know, he was going to take them in his in his white van to this mountain house, and these places didn't even exist. I mean, the farther it went, the more. It was just amazing that that he even was being prosecuted at all to me.
Speaker 5: And I was told by a couple of journalists, Aaron one of you know you mentioned Aaron Carter, a person who did the documentary. She was one of the people who told me if if if you were to black out the names of the court transcripts, you black out the names from the bail hearings and then the actual trial, you would think it's two completely different cases, because, as Brian just said, early on, there were things presented that just weren't true, and the trial happened, It's like, okay, so where is this you know, this GPS evidence that I was actually stalking someone in real life that never happened. Of course, you know, there wasn't no evidence because that stuff never happened. So uh, you know, Danny mentioned I was being denied bail and that was unusual, and I was denied bail really based on these lies that were being told in court. And eventually the facts come out, we get all the discovery turned over and it's like so, you know, like like nothing happens that the judge was lied to. You know, he sat there through bail hearings and he was lied to by these by these people and nothing happens. It's like, Okay, that's business as usual, so deal with it. Meanwhile, I'm denied bail arry confinement and it's like so what. But uh, you know, I never blamed the media coverage. I did read a lot of it when I was eventually released from prison, and you know, people think I hate the media, Like, No, the media was reporting what was being said in court. What was being said in court was that, you know, I had names and addresses of women in my computer that never happened. That they were reporting that that I had actually exchanged personal information with people that never happened. And you know this thing with the they had GPS evidence that was on a woman's block that never happened either. So I understand how people reacted early on, but it was based on a lot of misinformation, and that misinformation is still even to this day out there, which is why I was pushed to write the book, because I finally wanted my side out there, you know, and everything I say in this book is back up on court transcripts. I shared as much as I possibly could, even really embarrassing stuff. You know. Again, it's one thing to write about it. It's okay to put it on paper, but to talk about it, as I said before, it's still pretty difficult.
Speaker 3: But you know, gotta tell Brian, Brian there we've got to get to. I mean, you do the outline, like you say, there's certain things. There was a surveillance claim that was unfounded that they used in the bail hearing to deny you bail not more than once, the cell phone tower technology where they said they could pinpoint it you were on a street then later was five football fields away. So yeah, there, and we will talk about your solitary confinement. But let's talk about Brian, what you saw again. You know the difference between these fantasy sites. But the government did have something. The prosecution did have something enough to convict someone. So what did they use? What was there again? What evidence did they their theory was based on? Tell us what their theory was based on? What did they go on to be able to say, to qualify to say that he was going to kidnap these women with a co conspirator and this Mountain House. So explain this van Mountain House, this whole theory that the FBI has.
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean Gil might be able to explain that better, I mean to me. To me, it's just based on it's a Jerry tryon, It's based on mats hysteria. I mean, it's just it's just you're sitting there, he's sitting there. You're saying all these horrible things that he's planning, so they must be true. I mean, there's no way that this could happen unless this person was actually doing some of those things. I mean, I can't think of any real evidence that they had. I mean, I I mean, it doesn't make any sense to me at all that he was that he was convicted. Gill. I mean, maybe you could speak to that better, because i mean, someone on the outside he was there. I mean, it's someone on the outside when I'm when I'm reading, you know, the facts, not just what I've gotten through Gill, but just the facts in general. I mean, there's there's really I mean, it's a very rare thing for men to be exonerated, as Gill was. So the exoneration was proof in itself that they didn't have any real evidence on them.
Speaker 5: There was absolutely no real evidence. The main piece of evidence where the chats and emails, and the chats and emails were replete with fictional information. We talked about the mountain house in the middle of nowhere, a white man, a human size dove, and all the stuff that never existed. But I was a police officer. I had a gun and handcuffs, and I never mentioned those in the chats because again I was a fictional character. I didn't share who I really was, and neither did anyone that I was chatting with. So they ended up they grouped. They took twenty four sets of communications me and twenty four different people. They determined that twenty one other sets of chats were fantasy, but three were real plans. If you look at and the judge highlighted this beautifully when he acquitted me and his written ruling, the chats have the same exact information in them. They had the same exact lies, the same exact plots, everything virtually identical. Plus the quote unquote real chats had a plot, and the FBI said they were This was a serious thing. On February twenty If I was gonna kidnap a woman in Manhattan. I was gonna kidnap one in Ohio, and I was gonna another one to Pakistan, all on the same day. And this is a trial, and they're saying that this is a real thing. I mean, we had people in the jury laughing, people in the audience laughing when when when that was revealed. But somehow I was still convicted. And I think, you know, Danny mentioned earlier the prosecutorium his conduct. The closing argument was just full of just disgusting. I mean, you know it. Basically, Number one, I didn't testify because the case ended up being so weak. I was like, what good is it going to do for me to testify. They're gonna hammer home all the chats again, you know, read all these chats and the emails. We had already gone through that, So why though up there and live that again. They use that against me. They said in the closing argument, you know, you have to factor in that you heard nothing from the defenses to you know, you heard no explanation why he's doing this, So that's not allowed. That's against my constitutional right not to testify. There's also this theme of basically, thank god they caught him when he did, because he might do something in the future. That's not what a trial is. The trial is based on what I already did in the past, not on what I might do in the future. Just hammering home, you know, just always mentioning that this is a police officer would a gun, This is a police officer would have gun, just over and over and over again, all the analogies they use. You know, they compared my case to an airplane hijacking, a bank robbery, to a whole bunch of stuff that the judge acquitted me based on lack of evidence. Okay, he said, there's no evidence to support the guilty verdict, so the ruling stops here. But he did feel compelled to mention the misconduct because it was so rampant and so egregious that toward the end of his ruling he did say, you know, I do feel compelled to mention the trial tactics of the prosecution. We're not exactly on the level here. So that's what got the jury to convict. But thank god, the judge had the wisdom encouraged to do the right thing and set that verdict aside. And as Brian mentioned earlier, the way I was acquitted. Just never happens for a trial judge to not only set the verdict aside, but dismissed a charge too. Normally a person would would would got a new trial, but he said, no, no new trial. The case is dismissed. So that never happens. That just shows what a travesty this prosecution was.
Speaker 3: Now let's talk about what's really important. And you are suing the government as you've been recommended. But part of this book, very powerful. Part of this book is a police officer going to prison. So yeah, why do you chuse solitary confinement for those people that might not be able to figure it out? And tell us just a little about this ordeal for you.
Speaker 5: Well, I was placed in solitary confinement for my protection. I was a police officer, so the prison was afraid that if I was in the you know, general population that was it was a safety issue because I was a cop and I was with a bunch of prisoners. So they put me in solitary confinement that was by myself, no one to talk to, you know, No, I couldn't make phone calls, I couldn't see my family. The only person, the only people I saw were my lawyers when they came. Uh, there's supposed to be paperwork for visitation for my family, and that stuff never worked out. It just always got lost or there was something fishy going on. And I don't really mentioned in the book because the prison guards for the most part, were very much in my corner and they they took care of me. They made sure I was there right. But the solitary confinement was a nightmare. And there were you know, there were days where I'd wake up and I'd have a dream, right, I had a dream where I was with Kathleen and my daughter. I was having a dream where I was back in a patrol car. And then to wake up and that cold, dirty, you know, filthy cell.
Speaker 7: Yah.
Speaker 5: Those were the hardest base. And then just no human contact at all for seven months. Finally, after seven months they gave me a chance in general population. But just the range of emotions on a daily basis, to go from anger to fear to worrying about my family. You know, my mom and dad, my brother, what are they dealing with on the outside. You know, I'm relatively shielded, I'm hidden from everything, but my family is on the outside dealing with neighbors, coworkers, and again I had no way to talk to them, so I had no idea how they were handling everything. So add that to it. Add my Kathleen, who I hadn't realized how much she was involved in the prosecution at that time. I was worried about her, my daughter, the case, I mean, just and then getting angry at the prosecutors who were lying. I you know, I know lying, but there's no one I can tell. There's no one who would listen to me at that point. So it was tough, and I still deal with issues today. You know, I can't sleep at my bedroom door closed because it makes me feel confined. It's just one of those things.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: Hopefully I can get over that one day, but right now I can't. I still have nightmares where uh, you know, I have nightmares where I'm back in prison, where I'm back in a cell, and I wake up sweating and panting, and it takes me a minute to realize that I'm home, you know, I'm in my own bed and it's over. So I'm acquitted and I'm exonerated. But there's still a lot of things I deal with, you know. It's just there's no getting rid of this at all. So yeah, you goddamn write them still in the government, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and you do have you file the complaint for prosecutorial misconduct.
Speaker 5: That's being worked on right now. I still have. You see, there's simultaneous things going on and I can't so I have. I have a lawsuit in against the sense right now. I'm waiting to hear back on that. I have a lawyer for that. I have a guy who out of contingency something was important enough to help me, so, you know, thank God for him. But while that's playing out, I'm also working on the complaint, as you said, the judicial misconduct against the main prosecutor in the case, who just blatantly, blatantly lied about many things, and you know, those were the main reasons I was an eyed bail and I just think it's right to file a formal complaint because I don't think she's she should get away. I don't think that woman should be within one hundred yards of the courtroom, to be honest, because I don't want what she did to me to happen to somebody else.
Speaker 3: Right now, you talk about the trial, we won't go into all of it. We'll leave it for the person to discover the leader. But obviously Kathleen, Kate, other people testify. Talk Let's talk about Kathleen and her testimony. What your reaction impression was, and how supportive was your family? Was your family behind you through this entire thing.
Speaker 5: My family never believed any of the chartists on the first day. They were behind me from day one. They didn't believe a second of it. So they were at every core appearance, they were at every fail hearing, they were at everything. They were there my mom and dad sitting together like they were married. That was kind of weird to see. But they never for a second, they had never one second that they believed that this could have possibly happened. Oh no, I mean they were completely supportive Kathleen. She took the stand the first day at the trial, and that was the first time I'd seen her since she left. So the trial started in late February and she left September twelfth, so that was five months or whatever. I can't do it. September to February, I hadn't seen her. So there she is, first time I'm seeing her, and she's the star witness. She's the first witness for the prosecutors, and I wasn't prepared for that. I was expecting her to just talk about what she found and how she found it. I wasn't expecting to be absolutely bulldozed by a narrative of what life was like in her home that was completely false, you know. So she made me out to be completely incompetent as a father, someone who was disinterested in the family. And again that didn't really you know, I can be a piece of garbage father and still be not guilty or the crime I was being charged with. But to sit there and listen to that stuff was extremely difficult when I mean me and her both know it's not true. So it was just it was a wave of emotions, you know, seeing her was tough. It was my actions that led to all this, you know, there was me taking part in these role plays that put us in that situation. But then again it wasn't a crime, so you know, just going back and forth, and then I mean we both were, both of us were crying hysterically through the whole thing, and the judge had to grant us like several recesses because we just were both so we both couldn't compose ourselves and it was just I don't know if that was the toughest part of the trial. I mean, the most embarrassing part of the trial were the two days or so where they just read line after line, you know, every goddamn thing I wrote in that website was read for like two straight days. So that was I mean, I wouldn't wish that level of embarrassment on my worst enemy, But I think emotionally, the toughest part was Kathleen's testimony.
Speaker 3: Now, tell us what Julia's and do you have a really good defender here? She's very passionate about your case. Was this a public defender? And tell us if it was in this Julia, in her in her team that were employed to represent you. Tell us a little bit about their strategy and this defense team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Julia Gatto, she was a public defender and she was on duty that day. So thank god they arrested me that day, not the next day. I would have ended up with somebody else. But yeah, she's a public defender. No money, you know, no charge. The police union never showed up, which I have a big problem with now now that this is all over, I have a major major problem with how the police unity and handle everything, but we can get there later. Julia, from the first day I met her, she didn't believe any She she got it right away. She said, like, these are really serious allegations, but I get that it's a game. It's like she kept comparing it to dungeons and dragons, you know, it's a role playing game. She understood it. And I saw her argue when at first bail hearing, and I said, you know what, I'm gonna be completely fine with her because she was you said the word passionate as she was. She was aggressive. She was defending me aggressively despite the horrific and graphic allegations. And I thought that it also helped that she was a female. You know, this is a case depicting fictional violence against women, and I had a woman defending me, So I thought that I was a big help too. But uh, you know, there there wasn't much strategy early on because we didn't have any evidence turned over yet. The prosecutors were speeling their nonsense at the bail hearings, and I was scribbling stuff down like okay, she's you know, the prosecutors saying this, Here's where I really was. Here's what really happened, and Julia would, you know, tell my side, but we had nothing to pack it up, so the judge is gonna believe the prosecutors. Eventually, when we got all the evidence turned over, Julia had like a new fire lit under earth because she realized that, like everything I said was the truth. And I think she believed me, you know, early on, but in the back of her mind she had to be thinking, well, there's got to be something because what is he you know, why is he arrested? Why is he here? There has to be something. But months later, when finally all my bail chances were over, you know, I had no more chance at bail, the prosecutor then turned everything over and you know, surprise, it was all nonsense. So Julia was I mean, she was angry. You know, she actually said that prosecutor belongs in prison, and you know, I don't want to speak for her, but apparently they don't talk anymore, those two, and I guess it's because of my case and how dishonest they were.
Speaker 3: Now, you talked about the police union not backing you up, and you'd say your family did, so you this has got to be the most trying and challenging time of your life, this twenty one months. Tell us as you do. It's interesting why you decided to go into general population. There are some risks obviously, that's why you were in solitary confinement. So tell us what happens in reality. A little bit of good news for you in there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I mean it reached a point where I just couldn't take being alone anymore. So requested a meeting with some of the prison officials and they were against it. I basically begged them to give me a chance. I said, I don't care if I get my ass kicked the first day. So they were hesitating, but they finally, you know, they gave me a shot. So they sent me to one of the housing units, and everyone knew who I was. It was pretty clear it was a high profile case. They get newspapers in prisons or you know, everyone followed the case and the papers and they all knew who I was. There was no hiding it. So my strategy, which is just key to myself, mind my own business, don't talk to anybody. Just you know, they had TVs and I hadn't. I hadn't watched TV in eight months, so there was a Yankee game on the I love baseball, so I got a chair out of my cell and I sent in for the TV and watched the Yankee game for the first time in forever. And in the first couple of days were pretty much I was kind of by myself, and then I was reading a book sitting on one of the tables, and another inmate sat next to me. He was having a lunch, and out of nowhere he goes, keep fighting, You're gonna win. So that was the first time someone really talked to me, and he kind of hinted that, yeah, you know, everybody here knows who you are, but everybody thinks the case is total bullshit, and you know, they don't believe any of the charges or whatever. So I think it was interesting. I think he must have been nominated somehow, maybe he drew the short strong like someone. They must have been like, all right, somebody's got to talk to this guy to see what he's really like, and it was him, And then he probably went back and told everyone like, guy, he's completely normal. And then after that more and more people started to talk to me. And you know, no one ever got in my face, no one was ever mean or violent or of course I never let my guard down. But I was able to survive there. And it was tough because I had been convicted and we had paperwork in to try and correct the injustice, but we didn't know when the judge was gonna rule, you know, so there was no date to look forward to. My dogs are you know, I'm sorry, so they there was just no you know, no end in sight. It was like today, it might be the day, or it might be tomorrow, or it might be two months from now. But while I was in general population, I had people there who were they could tell when I was having it especially bad day. You know, there were days that were hard on others. Father's Day was impossible, my daughter's birthday was you know, just I don't even want to talk about that. Eventually, I ended up getting a job too to help pass more time. I ended up working in the kitchen. That was the subject of a lot of jokes. I was back on the front page of the daily news because they found out that I worked in the kitchen, and you know, that became a big circus. But it helped pass the time. So again, nobody as a fourth police officer, no one ever ever got in my face, and that was something that, like, I relied on the support I had from inmates. You know, the police union and the cops were silent, but I had support from inmates in prison. Ghostigure.
Speaker 3: Interesting you talk about an LSIS for Brian. What did you think of when you were involved with the writing of this book the information that was provided in the trial with this six month old agent. Well, I'm not six months old, but six months as an agent, an FBI agent, this Walsh guy. What'd you think of that?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, it's, as I said before, it it's really amazing to me. I'm going to say almost the same thing, but it's amazing to me that it even reached a level of prosecution. There was just the agent in particular in the in the testimony, he just was not giving anything that you know, there was there was valid that that one would consider to be criminal activity, you know. So, I mean, I don't I don't know what else to state about it other than that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, it's just as funny as Gil writs in the book book.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, go ahead, I don't mean to cut you off.
Speaker 3: No, sorry. What I what I found humorous was the cross examination of this agent Walsh supposed to be a kidnapping expert. He was there. I mean they brought him in. The prosecution can be prepared or not prepared to put forward their case. As you say, a couple of big breaks you had and you and then you have this agent Walsh, and it's laughable. People are laughing in the at the trial. Over the cross examination. You think your your prosecution is vigorous. They make a lot of inroads and you figure we're not going to have you testify, which they thought they might have to do that. So tell us about how devastating was this to lose When you thought, I guess in your mind it was I'm ready to get out of here.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, we thought we were home. That cross examination was the turning point a trial. You thought, you know, that was I was home free. After that, there was no way Jerry was going to convict. It was during that cross cross examination that that whole thing with February twenty eighth and kidnapping three women on three different confidents came out. So, as you said, people were laughing and the judge even had this smirk on his face, and people, I mean the courtroom was packed every day there was standing room only. It was a huge courtroom, and there were a lot of media there. And you know, Julia, my lawyer, had you know, relationships with some of the people in the press, and after that cross examination, during the next break, people in the media were telling her, you guys got it, this is this case is a joke. There were articles written the next day. You know, the tabloids who had hammered me from the beginning, we're now saying. I remember one line in one of the papers was something like, did you hear that sound? That's the sound of the government's case brushing down the toilet, because like, this case is a complete joke, and they made the point that I made earlier. You know, that doesn't mean that people have to like me, or people have to be my friend or whatever. The question is, did I belong in prison? That's the only thing I care about people who read this book. They're gonna be they're parked in this book that are gonna make people uncomfortable because I'm so you know, I share a lot of really graphic stuff about my fantasies, and the thought process behind that is I want the people who hate me the most to still conclude that I didn't belong in prison. But back then, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: Who oh no, sorry, I was just gonna stay real quick guilt. But even now when we get I appreciate that you've actually read the book, Dan, and that you're asking that you're asking really relevant questions because even now, so much of the press that we get, and we have had a lot of good press. Note all the people want to talk about even now are Gill's fantasy. I mean, it doesn't even It's very rare that someone will even talk about whether they're criminal or not, or it's almost always just about the actual fantasy. It's like that's where people get stuck. It's just like they stay right there and like and just want to go there and never want to talk about the fact that a man literally spent almost two years of his life in prison they didn't do anything. You know, it's mind blowing, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So going back to the trial, you know, that was a turning point. We felt good. The government rested their case shortly after that. Our defense was pretty quick. It was over in a day. We had the guy, the founder of that website testify that yeah, like there are like a ton of people into cannibal fantasies. You know, like a lot of people on the website. Are there seventy five eighty thousand members of that website, which you know, no one else is being prosecuted except me. We had our paralegal. I mean, it was a really boring defense. Nothing I don't want to go so much into it. There's nothing substantial either way. It was just really quick and over in the day. And then they got to the closing arguments and I touched on before their closing argument was just completely improper, and Juliet got it all back with a really great closing argument. We felt really good. The jury came back after three days and I heard that guilty word, and it was just utter, complete, shocking devastation. I mean I was already rehearsing what I was going to say to the press. You know what. I was like, all right, I'm going home today and then I go and see my dog, you know my dog. Oh, I missed my little bulldog, Dudly. I was gonna go play at my dog, and I was gonna have a home cooked meal and catch up with everybody. And didn't just just just to hear guilty and you know that crime carried a possible life sentence, so I was facing life in prison. After that, I wasn't thinking about appeals or anything. I was just like shaking. I was shaking. Julia took my hand under the table as the verdict was being read, and after a guilty verdic came, she took my hand and she just like squeezed my hand under tail and they said there was a loud gasp in the courtroom. I didn't even hear it because I was so shocked. But I mean, the twenty people told me that when the jury said guilty, people were like completely shocked. So over the next couple of days I got some of that feedback. Julia actually told me that people from the US Attorney's office were calling her office and basically apologizing off the record, of course, but you know, that told me that maybe, by some miracle, there aren't honest people who work in that absolute cesspool of of of an office for prosecutors to be calling my lawyer and apologizing, you know. And Julian was getting emails from lawyers all over the country. So, I mean, the shock and devastation wore off pretty quickly, and I kind of refocused on the appeal and with all this feedback we were getting, I thought the chances were good. We all thought the chances were good at getting a new trial, if not for the lack of evidence, just based on the closing argument alone, I mean, that was reason enough to give a new trial. The judge took the extra step, thank god, and dismissed the case, and then the Court of Appeals upheld that. But it was a long you know, talking about it now for five minutes it's a lot different than living it for twenty one month.
Speaker 3: You capture that moment too, where you really didn't know what was going on. You waited the entire day the July pardon me, the June thirty first or June thirtieth, and so you were waiting. You got phone calls up to nine thirty. You had because you were in general population, you were able to send emails up to a certain time, tell us about that day and what you thought may happened that day, and what did actually you and how did you find out the next day and what did you find out?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so just to back up, it was a regular day. I went to work at the kitchen my you know, six in the morning to noon shift. I came back, as I did every day after work, I went to the computer and checked my emails, and I saw an email from Julia. And again this is completely out of nowhere that we weren't, you know, we didn't have a date to look forward to as so when the judge is gonna rule. But finally there's an email from Julia that she got word that the ruling was coming down today. So like, holy crap, it's gonna happen today. I'm really nervous, so I close the computer, I call her up on the phone, and we found out that Julia told me that the judge had requested pre trial services to be at a hearing the next morning. Now, pre trial services is something someone very unit that recommends whether or not a person gets bailed. So they actually, during the initial bail hearings, pre trial services actually recommend that that I that I get bail. But and and a judge nine times out of ten agrees with pre trial services. I was the one that the judge didn't agree. And the nightmyville anyway, so we were feeling that, okay, so that has to mean that tomorrow's a bail hearing and I'm getting a new trial right, and we all kind of were feeling that we were feeling advised. I mean, a new trial would have been a huge victory. So the whole day, you know, one o'clock, two o'clock, three, still no ruling. Then we get into the evening hours and still nothing. It's like seven o'clock and Julius said, they're staying at the office all night till they get word. But for me, everything shuts down at nine thirty. Computers, emails, and we're locked into ourselves for the rest of the night. So I gave her one final check at like nine twenty five. They said they asked the judges, you know, they called the judges chambers. They said, you know, please, we have a client in prison who's waiting. Can you give us anything? They said, no, not yet. So it was a sleepless night, to say the least. The ruling finally came down around eleven o'clock that night, and everybody knew that I was acquitted except me. I was still in the cell. I had no freaking clue. My family all knew, everybody knew. I didn't know until six o'clock the next morning, when they unlocked the cell and I checked my email, and you know, I had like nine emails from Julia and my family and you know, a couple of people in the media who I was starting to talk to. And that's when I found out that no, it wasn't a new trial. I was you know that you acquitted me. So I was going home. It was like, suddenly, you know, I didn't want to make a huge scene because they were I'm with a bunch of inmates, so like, on the one sense, I'm ecstatic and I want to scream, but I also don't want to make a big scene in front of everybody. So I had a couple of goodbyes. I woke either this one guy was sleeping, this guy who had become friends with I went into a cell. I was like, I pat them on his shoulder. I was like, hey, I'm going home. I got acquitted, and he's like, oh, nice, went back to sleep. He didn't. It was it was like that, like he was half asleep and I didn't make a big deal out of it. And then before he knew it, I was back in court and I was released. And this sounds really weird, but I almost wish I had just a day that I could have said goodbye to the people there who were so supportive of me, you know, people helped get me through every day. But everything was so unusual about this case, and even the way I was acquitted was unusual. So that was it. But the funny part was that I was like tossing and turning in a cell while everybody already knew that I was going home.
Speaker 3: You you talk and you describe that feeling. Must have been ecstatic to get out. Your parents met you, you hugged your defense team. Yeah, must have been a tense moment for you, obviously.
Speaker 5: Sure, just whole range of emotions, you know. And I remember going into the courtroom and just the look of stunned disbelief, you know, at the other table, the prosecutors, and just the excitement at our table. And the hearing started and the judge said, you know, as you know, I am quitting value. The chart is dismissed, and blah blah blah, blah blah. And the government said they were gonna appeal, so they appealed, So really like I was out, but the case is still pending. The government had a right to appeal, and the Court of Appeals could have theoretically reinstated the guilty verdict, and then I would have ended up back in prison. So we felt pretty good. The judge made such a good ruling one hundred and eighteen pages and just spelled it out completely as to why no rational journy could reach a guilty verdict, and so we felt pretty good. But there was always that doubt that, you know, I could theoretically one day end up back in prison, So that was tough to deal with a little bit. But in the end we won everything. So now I'm completely exonerated, completely free. It's never going back to court. It's over, like I can close the book on that. And but like I said earlier, I'm still dealing with a lot of issues. It's not like, you know, life goes on happily ever after. It's far from it.
Speaker 3: In fact, Brian, I wanted to ask you what this process was like, what really you your role in this was primarily other than I mean, it's a co author, But tell us a little bit more about your role in this and your experience writing this with Gil. Sure.
Speaker 6: Yeah, first of all, I was I always every time I Bill talks, I always think about how brave Gil is, and he's an extremely brave guy. So so right when we first, as Gil said, we did click. We did click right away. We've hung out more than a couple times, like since, you know, socially, even since since the situation. We enjoy each other, We get each other. But he's a very, very brave guy, and he's also a very good writer. So to be honest, it was much easier. I mean, he was much easier than I thought it was going to be. Sometimes when you get into these types of situations, you don't really know as a writer, you don't really know what you're getting yourself, what you're getting yourself into. And he was more than open to to uh, to writing and talking about anything. Initially, kind of what we did was I would I would probe different areas, ask him different questions. He would write a big section, then I would write a section, and we kind of got through it like that. And then when we got to the court aspect, pretty much almost everything post arrest is almost is almost just him and and what I did was was this kind of like firm it up, move things around a bit. But I mean, he he was great to work with him, and it was a very it was a very good process. I know you said you said in an email that you that you liked the book, and and I appreciate that a lot of people have liked the book. It's really it's really getting a lot of positive response. And when you have a situation where you're where you're writing a book with somebody that it was arrested for really really dark fetishes and fantasies, I think it's just the testament to the job that Geil did with my help. But the job that we did that did people like it as much as they do, So it was a great experience of me. I've really started working with Gil.
Speaker 5: It was originally going to be a ghostwriter situation where Brian was going to write the book in my voice, but he gave me a shot. And you know, he described early on in the process where he would ask a bunch of questions and I would get answers and he would craft that into a chapter, and I was just it blew my mind how much it sounded exactly like me. So later on I took a stab at one of the chapters, like sometime when I was arrested. So I emailed to Brian. He's like, dude, this is really good keep going. So I wrote the next chapter, and I its like, don't stop, man, just keep just keep going, keep rolling with it. And I ended up writing the rest of the book. And he, you know, did the all the fine tuning with grammar and punctuation and all that stuff. I mean, I was pretty good with a lot of it.
Speaker 6: But he define Gil rot Gil wrote eighty percent of the book without a doubt, maybe even eighty five, you know, and I basically was just you know, making it, making it better. I mean, but but it was still it's still mostly uh still mostly Gill. And like I said, I mean, I think you've done some writing down, but a lot of times, a lot of times you get in a situation and you're just like, oh my god, like what did I get myself into. It was the exact opposite with Gail. It was just we we started writing this, believe it or not, in like in July, like last July, and like we were we were, and we even had a period where we slowed down because we had a we had a literary agent at one point, and we were we were going through a process of tweaking it and fine tuning it, and we ended up that didn't end up working out for a variety of reasons, but regardless, and we even slowed down. I mean, the actual time that we probably wrote the book was probably about I don't know, man, it was probably like three months, you know, maybe maybe maybe yeah, maybe not even that long.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's amazing how quick it went. I mean that was the other thing. I'm glad Brian growing up. I want to definitely want to mention how quick I mean, this is like lightning quick from the moment we when I got Brian's email to the date of the release.
Speaker 6: It was like, yeah, which is you know, I almost unheard of Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's very very quick. The other thing you touch in this book, Gil and and Brian is while you were waiting this decision from the courts, you thought, again, just very much like this book, it's good and essential that you want the story to come out, the real story. And tell us a little bit about a couple people you had, Daniel Engbar Engber basically was on your side, and correspond with him and also Aaron Carr, Aaron Lee Carr, the director of Cannibal Cop. So tell us briefly what that was, what you attempted to do and why you decided to do a documentary and what you thought of that end result in that short.
Speaker 5: So Dan Engberg is a columnist at Slate magazine, and as far as I know, he was the first person to publicly challenge what was going on. As we talked about earlier, the narrative was so one sided, but he was the first one to kind of publicly question what did he actually do here? What really happened. So my lawyers sent me that article when I was in solitary confinement, and that, you know, obviously made me feel pretty good. So he ended up writing to me directly at some point after the conviction, and once I got the general population, I got his email addressed and we started communicating the email, and he was one guy who I trusted. He was like publicly in my corner, and he was really disgusted with the trial and and really was upset with the verdict. So one day we're emailing and he mentioned Aaron Lee Carr, who's a documentary filmmaker, and she was also extremely upset with the trial, and she was disappointed that I was in prison and I should never have been convicted. So he said that she wanted to talk to me, and she was interested in doing a documentary for HBO. This was still when I was in prison. We had the paperwork and you know, for the judge to overturn avert and I thought, well, hell, you know, let's put some pressure on the judge on the court system. This girl wants to do a documentary about how I'm innocent. She's gonna question the prosecution here, Like, let's do it. So we communicated through email. My lawyers weren't really thrilled about it, but Aaron spoke with my lawyers too, and they seem to acknowledge at least that she seems different. She seems like she gets We think she'll do a good job. While Aaron and I were talking, she even visited me in prison with my family. When my visits finally happened, she would come and visit with my family, and I just completely trusted her. She seemed to really get it. She was in my corner. She was like, I believe in your exoneration and all that stuff. She said all the right things. I mean, how could you not want to work with this girl. Furthermore, her father was a prominent New York Times journalist David Carr he written the book, and my brother ordered the book for me. It was called A Knight of the Gun. So I read that when I was in prison, and it was a story of a man who was just completely a wreck. He had actually he was arrested tenoral at the times, he had actually beaten women. He was a severe drug addict, and he was in and out of the system, and finally he got help and turned his life around. And now he like he was just well respected and loved by everybody. This journalist to people like this is real human story of redemption. So I kind of paralleled my situation with that. So when I get out of prison, I want to be like this guy. I want to rebuild my life better. And so that further pushed me. You know, here's this girl, her father lived through this situation, so surely, I mean, she gets what's going on here better than anybody. It was during the time that I was talking to Aaron that the judge acquitted me. So then things really move forward with the documentary that you know, HBO was at my house a couple of times a week, just filming and talking and you know, getting a piece of what life was like. And you know, for me, while the case was still pending and my lawyers turned over a whole bunch of documents to her. There was there were letters written by the prosecutors to the judge as part of my bail hearings. You know, these letters that said Valley exchange real personal information over the Internet. All that stuff that wasn't true. And Aaron was like flabbergasted by all this. She was like, oh my god, this is like, this is such an injustice and she said, I mean, all I wanted was an accurate representation of what happened. She promised me that, and I was really excited about the documentary and eventually it came out and I saw a special screening with my lawyers a week before the premiere. It premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival, which is like a huge deal and I was supposed to go. I had, you know, they gave me ten tickets, me and family friends and we were all going to go. But I saw pre screening and I was like just completely railroaded and completely disappointed by it. The documentary was basically did what the government did where they cherry picks things and you know the case for the judge to do what he did. It had to be one hundred percent in my favorite to you know, zero percent, but Aaron made it fifty to fifty where and she said that these are her own words. After the thing air at Tribeca, she was doing a lot of interviews and all of a sudden, the narrative from Aaron was she wanted to do a documentary when half the people would walk out of there saying I think Gil would have done something, and the other half would say, I don't think he would have done something. And that's not at all what I signed up for. It wouldn't make sense for me to sign up for that with the case still pending, right, So she was just she played me. She played me, my family, my lawyers, and I didn't appreciate that. And to compound it, she was like spewing all this crap to the media and it was just a really bad situation. It was like I was afraid to show my face in public again. You know, I was, I was in a good spot, I was dating a girl, I was these things were finally picking up for me again, and I just completely shut down for about a month after that thing came out. It was is such a shock to the system and just a complete disappointment, and she got all this praise. People were like, oh my god, she got the Cannibal cop. How did she do it? How did she get to participate? And I mean she got my participation by selling me a completely false bill of goods, And I wanted to make sure that I told part of that story in the book. I mean, she has no integrity at all, and HBO has even less integrity for knowing what she did and then continuing to hire her to do more projects. I have just a major problem with that.
Speaker 3: What has been the response and tell us when this book came out, and what has been the response from people that you care about with this book?
Speaker 5: Well, not many people from my family have read it because it's going to take them back to those really bad days, you know. So I understand that my mother read it. My mother is probably the strongest person in my family. She was kind of the face of our family when all this was going on. So she read it and she even said like her heart was pounding like out of her chest when she was reading about my time in prison. And you know, I don't think I was ever completely forthright and honest with them. About how tough it was in prison, and I don't think they were ever honest with me about how tough it was on the outside while all this was going on. So it's kind of something we haven't talked about, but the book, you know, I talked in the book how tough it was. So it was very difficult for my mom to get through that stuff, but she read it and she loved it. And I've had friends who, you know, acquaintances who I knew in high school, who I didn't really talk too much after I graduated, they reached out to me on social media, like, you know, I'm sorry this happened, and they loved the book, and it just people are so happy that my side of the story is finally out there, and as far as like strangers and people just leaving reviews on Amazon, I was a little worried at that the book was too graphic and people were going to be completely put off by you know, the prologue, for instance, is very graphic, and it's one of the fantasy scenes and it's very detailed, and it was something that I was I was a little concerned that people might not be able to get past that stuff, and just kind of shut down and you know, want to curse me out and things like that. But the response has been overwhelmingly positive and people who have read the book, and that's something that just makes me so happy as an author. Where people say it's a it's gripping and they couldn't put the book down, but it's also an easy read, and that's something I wanted to do. You know, I didn't want a complicated book. I wanted something people could read fairly easily as far as the you know, the writing style. I mean again, there's very graphic stuff, challenging for some people to get through, I'm sure, but they get through it and they reached the right conclusion. So so far, I'm just very happy with how it's worked out, and I have no regrets at all in doing this. I know it's kind of bringing everything back to life again, but I'm at a point now mentally where I've sort of, i mean, I kind of have no choice. I have to learn to live with this and in a sense sort of embrace it, and it's just part of me now. This whole cannibal cop thing is something I'm never gonna shake. So rather than hide from it, I've just learned to live with it and you know, laugh about it when I can, and you know, not that everything is always I'm okay with people joking around because I'd rather people make fun of me and joke around and be afraid. But there's a part of this case that's just so heartbreaking. There's a five year old girl out there, my daughter who has no idea who her father is, and my family who has been completely shut out of her life too, and they did nothing at all to deserve that. And that's the real heartbreaking part of the case that after reading the book, people are finally starting to get to you know, where I'm not some punchline. You know, I'm a human being too, I'm a father. And that's been a welcome response where people have left a review on Amazon where like they're talking to me directly and they're saying, I hope you reunite with your daughter soon, and that's just so touching and emotional. It just feels good that after all this time, people are finally you know, getting it.
Speaker 3: This must be a feather in your cap as well, Brian, to do an important book with an important subject, and do you think this is going to be again one of those cases that they're going to a reference, and this book, as an example of that, will be part of that reference.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think so. I mean, it definitely was definitely a book that I was really excited to work on, you know. I mean we both kind of took a chance on each other a bit. You know, I've add some books out with some relatively well known folks, but this was something I was really really excited to do. And I think it's the type of book that'll be around. I think it'll be making sales for a long time. I think it's just that kind of a book that someone's going to be like, you know, not just whatever happened with that case, but it is an important case, and I think I think people will discover it, people will write about it, It'll get noticed by different groups of people for a long time. So it's been a very positive experience for me as well.
Speaker 3: I want to thank you both Gil Valley and Ryan Whitney for coming on and talking about this. Is there a Facebook page and if people would want to contact wanted you to talk about this project or comments, tell us a little bit about how people might find out where you are and.
Speaker 5: Some of your work well for me, I'm very active on social media, you know, like I said, I'm not hiding for any of this, So I'm on Twitter and a lot of people have found me that way. Readers of a book have reached out to me and you know, wished me the best and have offered all kinds of encouragement. So I don't have a personal website. I'm just on Twitter. My handle is Gill Valley three. It's very simple, so people can feel free to reach out to me. I'm there and I welcome it. You know. I love talking and interacting with people who read the book or have questions about I'm very open. It's one thing that I think Brian realized is I literally answer every question. So it's all part of moving on and accepting this part of my life and just not hiding from anything, you know. And it's worked out very well. So people should feel free to reach out.
Speaker 6: And oh yeah, I was just going to say, I have a website brianwhitneyauthor dot com and I'm also on Facebook and Dan again, thanks for having us on. I really appreciate you having read the book and I'm asking insightful questions that you've asked.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it. Well.
Speaker 3: I want to thank you very much, guys, Gil and Brian for coming on and talking about this. I thoroughly enjoyed this interview, and like I said, I really enjoyed the book. I really enjoyed the idea that I had preconceived ideas before I read this book. And you guys do an admirable job of stating the case and exploring this entire story and really bringing it home to understand the plight that Gil Valley went through.
Speaker 5: This.
Speaker 3: I'm sure that again you're not not taking responsibility for what happened, but certainly I can agree, and I think everyone can agree that it surely didn't deserve a day in prison. So I want to thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you very much. Again, Like Brian said, I think you're one of the first people who have actually read the book to interview us.
Speaker 6: So it is not money yet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's strange. Really appreciate you taking the time to do that and ask some very good, insightful questions. So thanks, Dan, really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you very much, gentlemen, and you guys have a great night and all the best of luck to you with us and talk to you again soon, thank you, good night, thank you, okay.
Speaker 5: Thanks very much. Bye.