Speaker 1: We're taking your calls on the LA Clippers right now is Clippers.
Speaker 2: Talk on Aaron on Demand, the Clippers Show of Record.
Speaker 3: Your chance to react to everything.
Speaker 2: Clippers Clippers news happens. Let me guess it's about Kawhi.
Speaker 4: Here we are and now here.
Speaker 3: He is the host of your LA Clippers pre and postgame.
Speaker 2: At follow Adam a Adam Ousley.
Speaker 1: I suppose if Charles Barkley was doing the postgame show, he'd say something like the Spurs were the big old woman and the Clippers were the churro and they got eaten up in this one. But we're too classy to make analogies like that. Clippers lose one twenty two to eighty six in San Antonio to the Spurs, their worst loss of the season. Welcome into Clippers Talk and casuals panicking everywhere. Appreciate you guys, but panicking overall loss like this is not it. The Clippers are nineteen and fourteen, They're doing just fine without Kawhi. Yes, their issues, every team flaws, Yes they can do better. Yes, this was disappointing, frustrating, and a little bit demoralizing. It was also very predictable from those who are paying attention to at follow out of May because yesterday I made this tweet. I knew that almost lost to the Pelicans, where the Clippers had to battle back down fourteen, could come back to haunt them. The Pelicans are the worst team in the league. The Clippers probably shouldn't have been down fourteen in that game, and at one point I tweeted out, regardless of the outcome, is what I was saying. Regardless, the Clippers are going to be gassed for tomorrow's game. Narrator says they were. This is what happens when you don't step on a team's throat that is a lesser team than you. Now, the Pelicans were hot yesterday from three. CJ. McCollum is a good player. They have talent. Did I think the Clippers play great? No, Pelicans were super hot. They hit seven threes in the first quarter. But this is why I always say a win is a win. Forget that sports cliche. And but I forget that. I mean, no, I'm not gonna say that. Uh, it's never a win is a win. How you win matters, how you lose matters. You can develop bad habits and wins and good habits that lead to wins later in losses and tonight in this one, I think there were some tired legs out. There were there some bad effort plays too. Yeah, how much you put on well, they were just out of gas, and how much you say that really was just that not caring or trying. I'll give this team the benefit of the doubt because there have been very few low effort performances this season. There have been very few performances like this where the Clippers just get waxed, just get annihilated. I can think of a couple in Boston where they lost one twenty six to ninety four, lost that game by thirty two, and the home game against Minnesota where they lost one oh eight to eighty, lost that game by twenty eight. This was their worst loss. It was worse than those two games. Maybe it contends with the Minnesota one. The Boston won whatever, how many threes did they hitch twenty five? They're the defending champs. They get hot, there's nothing you can do. Clippers played hard, now, I don't think they played that bad. Boston is that good? Minnesota they played bad in that game at home. That was also the second night of a back to back guys. They just beatn Portland the day before. If you look at even good teams records, teams that go on to win fifty five sixty plus games, if you look at them on the second night of a back to back, they're often like five hundred. Back to backs are difficult. Scheduled losses are a real thing. Is losing by thirty six is a back to back? Enough of an explanation for how bad the Clippers were in this game. No, they were just extremely out of sink and offensively. I think it hurt their defense because when you have bad turnovers like that, when you have those bad live turnovers like the Clippers did, well, their fourteen turnovers turned into twenty one points for the San Antonio Spurs. That's a big number. Typically, if you're getting one point per turnover, that's solid. They got twenty one off the Clippers fourteen turnovers, a lot of LiveBall turnovers. And you look at some of the other numbers in this game, like fast break points. The Spurs had thirty two to the Clippers twelve. That's what I'm talking about. They had sixty two points in the paint to the Clippers thirty eight. That's how you get crushed. The Clippers also went eleven of forty one from three. San Antonio went nine of forty percentage wise, they were actually worse from the outside, but they were much better from two. The Clippers got out worked, and Wemby can out talent you at times. He the Clippers team in the first quarter. The Clippers as a team scored seventeen points in the first quarter. James Harden had thirteen of those points, Wemby had seventeen by himself, and the Clippers were down thirty one to seventeen heading into the second down fourteen already, just like they were down fourteen against the Pels yesterday. Uphill battle, Oh grand theft auto meme, Here we go again. In the second quarter, the Spurs got up by as many as twenty five. The only bright spot was Norman Pall had twelve points in the second that was it, and the third quarter it was more the same. Two buckets right away from Wemby. It got out of hand. The Spurs led by as many as twenty nine and the third led by as many as forty one. In the game, they go on to win big one, twenty two to eighty six. Clippers shopped in nineteen fourteen on the season. If you want to panic about this team, I mean, fan how you want a fan? I'm just telling you this isn't indicative of how this Clippers team has played throughout the majority of the season or going to define their season. People freak out over losses like this, a lopside loss. A lot of this can be explained by the second half of a back to back. This stuff happens, it does, it does. I saw a Clippers team lose by fifty one in the twenty twenty one season that went on to go to the Western Conference Finals. They lost a game earlier in the year by fifty one to the Dallas Mavericks. Did it mean anything. No, they had their best year in franchise history. Now, if you want to talk about issues going on with this Clippers team aside from this loss, that are more big picture issues, I'm here for that. I just people are saying, oh, they're a bad three point shooting team, they're a bad bench. It's like, well, they don't have Kawhi, they don't have Terrence Man. You get those back, those guys back. Kawhi is in the starting lineup. Man's coming off the bench. That bumps Chris done off the bench with Batom a mere KPJ. Bamba. That's not bad now Bamba has struggled. It was bad again tonight. Gotta be frank about that. I think the Clippers are gonna play small a lot. I don't think it's the end of the world having a below average backup big. You know how many teams have a below average backup big, the majority of them. There are a handful of teams in this league that are really strong at the backup five spot, a handful. Bamba's been disappointing. The lack of motor is what gets to me. He's got the size, he's got skill. Even though he's missing three pointers and having like his worst season from three, right now, you would assume it's going to turn around. I think his first three shots were all threes and he missed all three. Then he did get a nice bucket on Wemby in the post. We should do that a little bit more. I just want to see more activity from him. I want to see more fight from him. I eats and Zubots had a bad game. Zoo haters are trying to dunk on Zoo tonight, like he didn't dunk on Wemby the last game in their twenty six point comeback, Wenby out played him. They also I understand Zoo's frustration on the defensive end on some of the rotations, like he had had it with some of his teammates. There were some really bad plays where guys were or just not giving the effort defensively. Maybe it was tired legs. I don't know. We're looking for Coach Lou postgame audio coming up here. I'm interested to hear from from him after a game like this. Is it a burden the tape game? Is it like hot ass? Did you use? You drop it wherever Frodo put the ring Mount Doom or something?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a sar on you put it there. That's where you put the game film? Because how much can you learn from a game like this? The thing, the thing that I hate about games like this is not so much that the Clippers just got annihilated. I do hate that, but there's so little to take away from it. If you want to make long reaching conclusions out of games like this, I think that's in poor judgment. I think you are reaching. The reason Coach Lou doesn't is because we have thirty three games now, a thirty three game sample size, we're forty percent of the way through the season, guys, believe it or not. So we're gonna look at how this team plays the majority of the time, ninety five percent of the time, not the couple times where they've had games like this. But everybody starts going to trade talk. What are we doing? Are we gonna be a contender or not? It'say, guys, how many times I just say this, Until you see how Kawhi Leonard looks, you shouldn't be making any big moves because if Kawhi can't stay healthy, it doesn't matter if you go out and get Jimmy Butler or Zach Levine or anybody you're pining over. If Kawhi is not there, you're not a contender. So see how Kawhi looks if he can stay healthy, and then reevaluate things and then reassess the roster. Now, if you can go out and fleece somebody like they did Portland to get Norm Powell, cool, do it regardless, because that's a good move independent of Kawhi's health. If you can get Calling Sexton and not give up much right, because he's a young player and you can have him for years to come. It's not all hinging on whether or not Kawhi Leonard is healthy. We hope he can be, but I really think you gotta be judicious about this. You gotta be careful. You gotta pick your spots because you don't want to go out there and go all in or try to upgrade and make a big swing when Kawhi's health is still up in the air and uncertain and it is hopefully he's back on Saturday. That's the target date that La Murray gave. He was all to me pregame, talk to him about Kevin Porter Junior. We'll get to that audio later in the show. We'll take a quick time out, we'll come back. We'll get to your phone calls. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy h six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Happy New Year, Indeed, leave this loss in twenty twenty four. I'm just about done talking about what happened tonight in San Antonio. I'm at a Maslin and you're listening to Clippers talk. You're only in five seventy Ela Sports.
Speaker 4: I love this team. I never miss a game.
Speaker 3: You're listening to LA Clippers Basketball Free Ball, Yes, sir, right here on the LA Clippers Audio network.
Speaker 1: The Clippers tipped off in San Antonio less than twenty four hours after their last game tipped off yesterday in New Orleans, and it showed. They lost one twenty two to eighty six to the Spurs. Welcome back in It is Clippers talk. I'm at a Moslin. Appreciate you guys, eight six six, No I need seven two, five seventy. We're here for another what thirty eight minutes here to the bottom of next hour. Happy New Year, and happy move on from this game and never talk about it again after tonight, because that's probably what's gonna happen. Still looking for postgame audio from coach lou We'll hear from Lot Murray, but first Mike in Los Angeles. Mike, what's up here on Clippers stock with that of Austin him Mike, Hey.
Speaker 5: Adam, So you know, I used to think that this team's biggest weakness was really power forward and wing. Now I've changed. I think the biggest weakness is really just another ball handler.
Speaker 1: I mean that, you know, Hey, Mike, who's been saying that for three weeks? Here, who's been saying that for three weeks?
Speaker 5: I know, I know I'm preaching another choir, But I have come around, is what I'm giving.
Speaker 1: You think that's fair?
Speaker 5: I mean, it's just the turnovers and also just you know, after a bad lossess to put things in perspective. I remember the season where the Clippers, who was with Pooh Richardson and Lloyd Vought, almost broke the record for most losses consecutive losses to start the season, and they won that last game to avoid the record on a buzzer beater, and it was like they won the championship. So you know, we've come a long way from that.
Speaker 1: Was that the year they won twelve or fourteen games? What did they win?
Speaker 5: Something like that? Yeah, I don't remember exactly, but yeah, something like twelve.
Speaker 1: You're gonna get Ralph Laller on the line and revisit those those days so people can be a little bit more thankful right now. Maybe huh, But.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I mean this team is fun. You know tonight, Yeah, second night of a back to back. You know, as you've said, you know, if you minutes to go less than twenty four hours after sipoff, which is a whole other thing, you know, is what it is. I mean, all in all, the season has been a lot of fun. You know, nineteen and fourteen is you know great, you know, after thirty three games with no Kauai and you know all the other injuries we've had, and you know, hoping for good things in the new year and a happy new year to you.
Speaker 1: A happy new year, Mike. I'll talk to you next year. My friend appreciates you as always. It's like we're getting a lot of we need this type of player, we need a ball handler, we need a center, we need three point shooters. I'm not seeing a lot of names here in the chat. It's weird how that works. Nobody's actually giving any reasonable trade. Somebody's like, what do you guys think about getting Andre Drummonds? Well, why would Philly give him up? Philly's not punting on the season. Why is Philly giving up big thirst Andre Drummond, who I think is a little bit overrated. I mean, i'd take him. He will be an upgrade. But again, I can never seem to find any realistic trades. When you guys want to do this stuff, or any details on what they should do that are at all based in reality. Like, I have fun with the trade talk too. I've been talking about Colin Sexton. I think he is attainable. Oh and Dan West, our producer, said, you're right here, man, just grab the mic and jump in or just just just go over to it and be like, hey, Adam, I got something.
Speaker 3: I got them.
Speaker 5: So what was it?
Speaker 1: What was the record of that Clippers team that was talking.
Speaker 6: About that'll be twelve and seventy back in nineteen eighty six, nineteen eighty seven. Woo oh, I mean as bad as tonight, was a lot to be grateful for there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those were some dark days. Some people are in here saying Andre Drummond is not good. Some are saying Sexton and that's it. A ball handler and a solid shooter. He is a really efficient player out there. He's underrated. Somebody want Jordan Clarkson. Sexton's better than Jordan Clarkson. He gives better effort on defense, he's a better playmaker, and he's been a better shooter. What exactly is Jordan Clarkson doing better than Colin Sexton? Can anybody tell me that? Now? If you're saying, well, Clarkson could be cheaper than Sexton. Okay, but from a skill standpoint, calling sections better in every way. I don't know what people are talking about. Maybe because Jordan Clarkson typically has big games against the Clippers, so that skewed your perspective. Well, we have a moment. Let's pause ten seconds for station identification. Here on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: This is LA Clippers Basketball. AM five to seventy KLAC Los Angeles, ninety eight seven KYSR HD two Los Angeles and iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think they could cut PJ.
Speaker 7: Still.
Speaker 1: I'm not as familiar with the new CBA, but I don't think there's anything against that. But he has an eleven million dollar expiring contract. I think there's a decent chance they still find a deal like that can fill a salary in a trade package. Oh, here we go. Clarkson's better the eye test great. He's not better empirically, he's not. Factually he's not like, none of his numbers are better, none of his shooting numbers are better. But from an eye test, he is a really bad defender. He doesn't give effort on that end, like anybody who thinks Clarkson is better than Sexton today, I your eyes and to get checked my man him Athy, you're better in this. Uh, let's see. We got some more phone calls coming up. Eight six six ninety eight seven two five seventy eight six six ninety seven two five seventy. I want you to hear some audio. This was pregame with myself and law Murray of the Athletic because this ties into the conversation a little bit about another backup ball handler, and I think the question is in there so you guys will get the full context here. This was pre game with La Murray of the Athletic. Have you seen incremental progress with him so far this season? It feels like some of the same issues remain, which is not making always the smart bet basketball play out there. Is he going to be the guy who's out of the rotation when Kawhi Leonart comes back.
Speaker 7: I mean, that's I would expect Kevin to be the de tense guy. I mean, because it's not just Kawhi we're talking about, it's Terrence Man as well. Like what happens with Terrence coming back is more interesting to me because with all of Kevin Porter Junior's shortcomings Soronlu always wants to have a primary ball handler kind of player, a guy who can create for others. And if he believes that he can do that with a bench of say Chris Dunn, Terrence Man, the miror Coffee Nikovertoom and Obama, than okay, I'm not sure you're going to see that five man lineup out there. And you also have to consider guy like Kawhi whenever he gets back, is probably not playing every single game when he gets back, and you got to keep guys engaged somehow. So it's going to be very tricky to see what happens. But just the center and on Kevin, there are things that he does well. You can always tell when he's out rhythm. He didn't play Friday night and it showed he had some misses around the rim to go with, you know, the difficult shot selection and shot making at times. And at the same time, he's going to help them because he's a body out there who they don't have to worry about. Defensively, he'll make some plays and he'll play hard, and so it's good on a long process. I think it's a lot easier to say he'll be out the rotation when the team is fully healthy. But it's not just Kawhi the way you know, and it's Terrence Man as well. And we got to just see trust how much TVU trust someone like Chris Dunn, who Chris is dying a lot of all handling himself. And I think Chris, other than he had one bad pass that led to a trade Murphy three, I believe I was Chris's live ball turnover. But I think Chris Dunn is the guy who needs to beat a backup point guard if they're gonna start Kawhi and they're gonna keep playing Terrence.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's what I've been saying. When Kawhi comes back, half Terrence Man and Chris Dunn share the ball handling duties with the backup unit. Those guys are more sound with the basketball. But it's not perfect. So you could look to go outside of this team internally and try to find somebody. Colin Sexton has been the name for me. I don't know how anyone can think Clarkson is a better offensive player than Colin Sexton. Like him at he's in here is saying, well, I didn't say defensively, I said offensively, he's not better offensively than Colin Sexton. Here is what Jordan Clarkson is doing this season, and look, could he help the Clippers. Maybe you'd have to surround with a bunch of defenders, like he is really bad on that end. Colin Sexton is just undersize but gives effort. Clarkson doesn't give great effort defensively. He's getting sixteen points per game while shooting forty one percent from the field Clarkson and thirty four percent from three. Sexton is getting seventeen points per game while shooting forty eight percent from the field, seven percent better there and uh, forty two percent from three, like eight percent better from three. There is no argument that Jordan Clarkson is better on offense in twenty twenty four, soon to be twenty twenty five, and then Colin Sexton, and we already know he's worse defensively. So again it's a it's a bad argument. There a guy Himothy. You want to die in that hill like Rock has with KPJ. Go for it, but it's nonsensical. It's completely nonsensical. Again, Calin Sexton is shooting seven percent better from the field and eight percent better from three and scoring an extra point per game. Here's all you need to know. Clarkson takes more shots and still scores less per game than Colin Sexton. Do you know why? Because efficiency matters? And it turns out Callin Sexton is a career forty seven percent field goal shooter and thirty nine percent three point shooter. Jordan Clarkson is a career thirty four percent three point shooter and forty four percent from the floor for his career. The stats are lining up with where he is for his career, both for both these guys.
Speaker 3: Like just just.
Speaker 1: If you want to make the argument, well, it would take less to get Jordan Clarkson fine, because he is a lesser player than Colin Sexton, not just on defense, on offense. I don't know what you've been watching. Look the Mason Plumbley. I here's the difference. When I'm hopeful for a guy and it doesn't work out. I admit it. I said the second half of last season Mason Plumbley when he came back, was not good and Daniel Tie was a better player. Y'all can't even admit when you're wrong, Like I, oh, now Himothy is moving the goalposts. Clarkson is more easier to get. It's like no, no, no, you said he's the better offensive player than Sexton, So now you want to move along and be like, well he's easier to get, Okay, Like we don't have to do this, we don't have to focus on this anymore. I'm open to realistic trades. I would love some here is not getting many.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know if the Clippers are desperate for a big move because they don't know how Kawhi Leonard looks. And I think that's the biggest thing right now. They're nineteen and fourteen without him. Hopefully he's back on Saturday. Let's see how the pieces fit once Kawhi Leonard is back in the fold. How do guys and rotations look once Kawhi is back, because that is quite the upheaval. Him back in the starting lineup and Terrence Man back means Chris Dunn and Terrence Man are both coming off the bench. That makes you a much better bench. And as I've been telling the chat people in here are like, well, you can't play all those guys. There's still not enough scores. Guys. They're going to have four players that they could stag or two width of the starting unit that all can score the basketball win whole. They will have James Harden, Norman Powell, Kawhi and Viata Zubas. If you play it right, you can have two of those guys on the floor at all times. So I'm not that concerned. They're not gonna run these all bench lineups. So when you're like, well, where are the scorer is coming off the bench, that's not what they're going to do. We'll take a quick time out. We'll come back back to your phone calls. Still looking for post. Gave audio from coach lou Clippers lose badly in San Antonio, which is why we're talking about anything but that one twenty two to eighty six with the finals score. I'm out a mouslin and this is Clippers dockey. Already have five seventy LA sports.
Speaker 4: I love this team. I never miss a game.
Speaker 3: You're listening to LA Clippers basketball free ball, Yes, sir, right here on the LA Clippers audio network.
Speaker 1: Clippers lose one twenty two to eighty six in San Antonio to the Spurs. Final game was twenty twenty four. Happy New Year, Welcome back in I'm out of Moslin to this is Clippers talk. We're trying to find distractions to not think about the game and their worst loss of the season. Their next game is coming up in Oka see January tewond That is on Thursday, and then hopefully on the fourth back and into a dome on Saturday, when they're taking on the Atlanta Hawks. They will have Kawhi Leonard back. Somebody asked the question, who's guarding Tray Young? Hopefully not Kawhi in his first game back. No, it'll be Dj Done. The reason you leave Derek Jones Junior in the starting lineup guys and bring Done off the benches because DJ can guard up more and he can still guard Ones and twos. He can guard Trey Young. It's not a problem. He's really good against smaller guys. Derek Jones Jr. Is the more versatile defender. Chris Dunn might be more of the elite perimeter specialist. But with Chris Dunn, with Derek Jones Jr. Excuse me, you have more options of who to put him on, Unlike Chris Dunn. Not that he's terrible about guarding up, just Derek Jones Jr. Is better at it. He's taller, he's lank here, so Clippers lose by thirty six. But I'm not here for that, Harold and North Hollywood, Harold, you're on Clippers sat without Amazon.
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 2: Harold?
Speaker 8: What heavy year? Adam good talking to you? My year in call. Look, I don't know if you remember. You probably did one of the worst traits they ever made. Every time I see Shade Gills Gil Alexander play, wouldn't he look great.
Speaker 1: At Harold, Harold, Let's let's not play Monday morning quarterback or Tuesday because every GM in the history of baut ketball would have made that same trade. It's easy to say now looking back, Oh no, that wasn't the right move. At the time, Kahijas won finals MVP. You're doing whatever it takes to get him, and so to get him they need to get Paul George. It didn't work out.
Speaker 8: We move on. Well, there's exactly that was a mistake.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't in real time, Harold, Harold. The point is it wasn't in real time. Nobody said it was a mistake that day. Every GM in the history of basketball would have done it, including the late Great Jerry West who signed off on it. So if Jerry West was down with it, how can you blame any How can you blame him for doing it?
Speaker 8: Hey, I'm not you know what, Let's not blame anybody for the trade. But every time I see him play.
Speaker 1: Harold, this guy, you're not helping. My God, none of this helps, None of this helps anything. I hope this is the last the time I hear about this conversation in twenty twenty four, because all it does is yes, stick the nightway.
Speaker 8: I just I just want to let the Clipper fans remember what I did, remembered, and I tell you the guy who's going to be the MVP of the league this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I predicted that before the season started. Thanks Harold, thanks for contributing tonight.
Speaker 8: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: All Right, I love you. Happy New Year. That was not productive. I don't need more salt in the wound. We get it.
Speaker 4: We all get it.
Speaker 1: We all understand.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 1: I would love more than anything for the Clippers to draw. Okay, see with Kawhi Leonard in a seven game series, Jose and Southgate, you're on Clippers. Talk cleanse the palate please.
Speaker 9: Adam and the words of Tyron Luli's go ahead and plush this morning and move on to the next one.
Speaker 5: Happy New Year's at him.
Speaker 8: We just need two guys.
Speaker 4: Two guys at him.
Speaker 5: The names are Kwi Leonard and Terrence Man. Good thing is we already have them. You can either move Chris Dinner or Derrek Jones doing to the bench.
Speaker 8: But that's Tyan news decision. Here we go out of the Cliffstone Clippers.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jose and South Kate. I appreciate it. Speaking of ty Lou, he handed me the baton there. It's a good segue. Let's hear from coach Lou after the Clippers lose big in San Antonio.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean his impact from day one, you know, when we first acquired him from Charlotte, just the impact he had in the locker room, just being a great guy, being a connector a guy that you know, he's on the floor to just make winning plays, like he's not worried about shots, he's not worried about who missed him. On the offensive end. He's a guy that can guard one through five or Swiss army knife defensively. And he's a great teammate, you know, and so everybody loves, you know, playing with Nico. He's always about team first. And when we acquired him, like I said, he really changed our change, our team, changed our season and what we were looking to do. And so we had a chance to get him back this summer. Like that was that was the number one thing on our list to try to get Nico back, and I'm glad he was able to come back.
Speaker 1: See, they don't want to talk about the game either, talk about Nico.
Speaker 4: In these games.
Speaker 3: How do you keep like the team's very good and themativity up when you are holy the game lead?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean it's it's tough when you get a beat like that. I mean, you know, I thought that San Antonio did a good job just attacking us and and every day beat us in every category, I mean, transition, defense, offensive, rebounds. They guarded us well, they were physical, and so they just took us out of game. Offensive. I thought, you know, with their defensive presence and then offensive, we couldn't stop them. We couldn't get back in transition. And you know, we have to be better, you know, can't give into the fatigue of a back to back or whatever. Like mentally, we got to be tougher and we gotta be better than what we show tonight.
Speaker 3: And so what is the goody to continue on?
Speaker 9: What's what?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: The goal to continue? He can play?
Speaker 9: Yeah, you can play as long as he wants for me. Yeah, five more years if he wants to.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 6: It's still surprised by James harden productivity and like he's already needs to read the game.
Speaker 7: That good.
Speaker 9: No, I mean the Rokie puts in every single day the hard work of being a great player. And you can see, you know, when you have guys that are put in the work every single day like James Harden has, like Lebron James has, these older players are still productive. You know, they know how to play the game, they understand it and they know how to make guys better. And so he's been doing it for his whole career and like I said, nothing has changed.
Speaker 4: Thanks cool.
Speaker 1: There was coach post game after the Clippers lost in San Antonio one twenty two to eighty six. I really like what you said about we can't give into the fatigue. We have to be mentally tougher. I really like that approach because I think that's what we saw at times when people speak to well, maybe there's some low effort out there. They gave in to the fatigue. They gave in to the narrative that, Okay, we're on a back to back, we had a tough one last night, had to come back down fourteen, and now we're down fourteen in the first quarter to Wemby and the Spurs, and it's gonna be tough, and maybe it broke them a little bit. Maybe it broke their spirit a little bit. I don't want to go that far and say it's definitive or conclusive or anything like that, but coach LUs saying you can't give into the fatigue, that was a meaningful quote to me. That's what you have to learn from a game like this. So maybe while you can burn the tape, there are still some principles and a philosophy you can follow. Coming out of this ball game where the Clippers lose by thirty six and San Antonio's to the Spurs, We'll take a time out, we'll come back, we'll close things out here. In twenty twenty four, as the Clippers dropped to nineteen fourteen nineteen fourteen, though thirty three games in without Kawhi Leonard, are you kidding me. I said five hundred would be incredible. Just being at five hundred treading water without Kawhi would be a win. They're five games over five hundred. They got OKC OKC on Thursday, January second. More on that coming up right here on Clippers sow on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: I love this team. I never miss a game.
Speaker 3: You're listening to LA Clippers Basketball Free Ball, Yes, sir, right here on the LA Clippers Audio network.
Speaker 1: Clippers fall in San Antonio one's forty two to eighty six and it wasn't even that close. I gotta be honest. But that's okay because, as Mark Jag points out at Clippers Talk on the YouTube side, appreciate you guys if you're listening there or on a five seventy LA Sports here in your postgame show. If they beat OKAC, Mark says, somehow everyone would forget about this one. You know, a road trip sometimes is just like a cumulative score. It's not so much about the individual games. It's just like, did you go was it a really tough six game road trip and you were able to go three and three or four and two? In this case, three game Roady. Can you go two and one and if you beat OKAC, the best team they'll face on the road trip, that's huge. I would say that's probably their best victory of the season if they win Thursday in Oka see right before hopefully getting KWHI leonarn back. I mean, they just had their best victory in Memphis, but Okay see, they lost big there earlier in the season. It's not gonna be easy. They're the best team in the Western Conference. They have Hartenstein back, they still don't have Chet, but early in the season they lost. They've already played them twice. Excuse me, they lost the game I was thinking of in Oklahoma City. You know, they gave up one hundred and thirty four points in that game, but they were in that game. They lost one thirty four to one twenty eight. They had chances. So they've lost them twice so far, once at the end to a Dome one five to ninety two, and then a week and a half later in Okay See one thirty four to one twenty eight. I remember that was a game where the Clippers were clicking offensively, they played really well, but Hartenstein still wasn't back yet. Norm Palette Prey one in that one. Here's what was Derek Jones Junior had twenty huge game. Harden actually didn't play well. James only had seventeen on five to fifteen shooting. And that's partially because the low Dort effect and the guys that they can throw at you. Aaron Wiggins, I say it, Joe, Yeah, it's it's tough out there. Alex Crusoe is coming off the bench for them. Pan the Lakers fumble that one. Uh, the Clippers have to put forth a much better showing. Like I always say, a win is not a win, a loss is not a loss. It matters how you play out there. I want to see them compete regardless of a winner or loss. I want to see them compete. Now, won't see it be a win, but I want to see them execute and not be so lasadaisical with some of these turn So somebody brought up in here that guy Spencer said, I hope we improve the IQ of passing regardless of who has the ball others have been talking about and that guy Spencer said this too. How James Harden has had a turnover issue this season. And I talked about that with Law earlier I feel like there's been a little bit of an uptick since he's had all that time off. He's back to turn the ball over more frequently, just like he was early in the season, and then he started to settle down with it. But after he had those eight days off and missed that one game against Houston, it's been worse since then. That guy Spencer says Harden is fine for two and a half quarters handling the ball, then he's exhausted. I get he wants to create, but he's got to give up the ball to the posts. There's a lot of times Zoo is open. I mean they have been doubling Zoo a lot more. Here's the thing with James Harden in fourth quarters. This is an alarming number. And I haven't wanted to talk about this. I wanted to see if the numbers would level out the further we got into the season. But he's played thirty two games now and speaking of that number, thirty two so in the fourth quarter, Harden has thirty two assists this season to twenty eight turnovers. It's almost a one to one ratio in fourth quarters. Two to one isn't good enough for someone like him. Three to one would be what you want. It is almost one to one, thirty two assists to twenty eight turnovers in the fourth. And I don't think it's because, oh, he just is being so careless out there. I think it a lot of it is fatigue. It's the usage rating. It's him having the same usage rating as guys that are doing what he did at twenty five. You know Sga, Luka Dancic. He's thirty five now and he's trying to do the same thing. It is a guy who's gassed at the end of games.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 1: The good news is when Kawhi comes back, his usage rating may drop ten percent, at least five percent. I'm telling you it's gonna drop because last season it was ten percent lower with Kawhi and Paul George. I think it's gonna drop at least five percent. Once Kawhi gets back, he'll be on the ball a lot more. It will help James Harden's legs immensely, I think in every way, not just the turnovers, shooting percentages, everything, even though he has been shooting it better, it's really just I think from he's missing still a lot at the rim. But it's a concern That's why I have been saying the priority to me is not a backup big. I'm not saying they couldn't use a better one. I'm saying, in order of strongest need to weakest need, or biggest need two smaller needs, I'm saying it's a ball handler because KPJ is not cutting enough for me. He's too erratic. He reminds me of Russ at times, like he can't create for himself, or he can just lose the basketball out of bounce. We've seen that, like literally, like a guy just playing off of him and him going between the legs and just goes out of bounce. I want someone more sure handed. But can you find that guy that can also be an efficient scorer and not be hunted defensively. That's that's the problem. You're asking to check all those boxes, which usually means you're gonna have to give up a lot to get that player. And I don't think they should be giving up a lot right now until they see how Kawhi Leonard looks, until they can see if he can stay healthy. I'm just not giving up any more future draft capital or young assets. They've done that, and there is a toll to pay or a tax to pay on that. Sometimes literally with the CPA, you go over the first and second apron. They're under the first apron, which is good. They do have flexibility. But I just don't think until you see how Kawhi Leonard looks, you shouldn't make a big swing. Now, if you could get somebody, it doesn't cost you much by all means, if you can pull off an Urn Norman Pale type of trade when they got him, the swindling of the Portland trail Blazers. Oh, I'm good with that. I'm fine with that, all right. Before we get out of here, I'm fine with this man. Daniel West, our producer here, how the West was won. We're getting the Western Conference standing's update, as we always do on Clippers Talk. To end the show from producer Dan West.
Speaker 6: Adam, I wish I had better news today, but the Clippers, with this loss at the moment, are in the play in zone again at number seven. Okay, see on an eleven game winning streak is your one Grizzlies, two Rockets, three, Maps, four, Nuggets, five, six, Lakers, seventh, Clippers, eight Wolves, ninth Spurs with their win tonight and tenth the Warriors sitting there right about the Phoenix Suns, who are the first out.
Speaker 1: Okay, so earlier, Okay, see beat Minnesota, which did help out the Clippers a little bit. Yeah, Minnesota is still behind them. Tonight Lakers are taking on the Cleveland Cavaliers and that game's going on now. But we don't want to do counter programming. We want Cleveland to win that game, be nice. And then I guess do we want Phoenix or Memphis to lose?
Speaker 6: It's a good question.
Speaker 1: Memphis is up seventy one to sixty two in Phoenix with nine minutes left. The Suns are starting to fall apart. I'm almost less worried about the Suns. They're fifteen and sixteen. Then maybe you can have Memphis lose a couple and somehow chase them down.
Speaker 6: Grizzlyes are twenty two wins, Clippers with nineteen. So yeah, that's I would say that's a bigger can. Just looking up as opposed to looking down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well though, bearing Phoenix, there's nothing wrong with that either. I know how Clipper Nation feels about the Phoenixes, but it's understandable too. All Right, this is a clearer picture appreciate you, Daniel, of course, well done as always.
Speaker 6: Happy New Year. By the way, I'll talk to you next year.
Speaker 1: Talk to you next year. The dad jokes keep coming here first, Carlo, now, Daniel, this is no joke. The Clippers lost one twenty two to eighty six in San Antonio, but maybe the final punchline isn't out yet they could win an ok see unttally redeem themselves. Tip time for that one on January tecond on Thursday is that five pregame show starting at four? Before we get out of here, I do want to thank the Clippers organization, Ralph Lawler, Ryan Seeman, no what ego? Carlo Jimenez on the call, the callers, the listeners, the chatters in here. Love y'all. Happy New Year, Be safe out there.
Speaker 3: This has been Clippers Talk right here on your home for the La Clippers Audio next uracherous. Don't miss a single edition all season long after every game.
Speaker 2: The volume is truly impressive, and.
Speaker 3: Make sure to follow wherever you podcast for special offer editions.
Speaker 2: Clippers Talk Baby,