Speaker 1: Hey, let's record a podcast. Let's record a podcast.
Speaker 2: Let's go what let's go we have podcasts. Funk. I was gonna say something there goes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, are you thinking about you know, our Lord and Savior Victor Wembianna coming to.
Speaker 2: It's so it's so great. Uh. The the NBA playoffs are fantastic. You can you know two nights ago you have a regardless of anything about the thunder. Uh, their team is really good.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: The problem was that there was nobody that was really uh checking them, like nobody that really could and now there is and so it's really cool because yeah, they're doing it and uh one Ben you is just insane. He's taken down the the nefarious uh uh uh chet Holmgren, chet and yahoo as he's been christened by some Yeah it no, it's uh yeah, it is great. It was uh man, you just you can't like there's just something about like watching that and experiencing it, and like something that I have noticed recently is I was like, Wow, it's weird that like sports Twitter is not bad, like when big games are on, and I was like that's weird. And then like I was and I was like because like I mean it's like when when the like big ship is going down, like uh, like big football games, basketball games, even soccer and stuff like that. Like it's just like the whole thing is just like going nuts. And and I was like, what happened? And then I kind of realized that like people, like a lot of Americans, like a lot more than had previously been, are now like perfectly fine just putting politics into sports. Like whatever divide there was for that, which was probably just the divide of living that that gets set up when you live in the the Imperial Core. You don't have to worry about politics and stuff like that as a personal thing, and now you do. And now it's like oh okay, like no, like it's you know because earlier in the day on what was it, Monday, Yeah, on Monday they the some op ed had been posted in Oklahoma, and uh, I think it's the Oklahoma which is an Oka see paper and it was like the thunder grade on the court and they're great, like another thing, just like Israel. And it's just like wait, what.
Speaker 1: I mean, Like when you sent me that, I was like, is this not like.
Speaker 3: Written from the perspective of me a Sonics fan? It was like real, oh my god, he admitted out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, where it's like it's like, oh yeah, fucking stealing fucking people's team slash Land and like what.
Speaker 2: Aside from the history of the team, which which you're you're absolutely right and apart, but aside from that, like that is it's so it's in such fucking awful like.
Speaker 1: It's it's like you both enjoy jenocide, like.
Speaker 2: What inherently disrespectful Like if I was if I was a player on that team, you know, and I mean I guarantee you that not all of them agree with any of that stuff. With that stuff, I'm sure some do, but like like I'd be like, get this, take this ship down. I Am like, what the fuck is wrong with you? I you know, we're not. Yeah, And it's but like yeah, so like people are just like, you know what, like we're just going to tee off on the thing. People don't like the Thunder anyway. For for the I mean, they win, which people hate, and that's fine.
Speaker 1: And I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also for the like you know, the you know, the Sonic stuff, and uh, you know, their fans are really annoyed. Like you know, it's like a yeah, you know so, uh so I'm you know so I just like, uh, I just keep noticing that like that, like people like it's being inflicted with the stuff. And there's been this long running thing all season where uh that Israeli player who plays on the Trailblazers, Denny I think his last name is Advia Avdya uh and he was in the idea and he's like very proud of is Roel and everything like that, where like he was booed at like arenas constantly and stuff like that, and it's just like, yeah, exactly. And I think that Americans have kind of figured out that like the two things go hand in hand. They aren't they they aren't separate and and I don't and I think people have finally figured out that, like you can't, like when it involves real people and real things that are ongoing, you can't remove politics from that, like it you know, it just is uh inherent to it. And I think that's made a lot of it more fun, especially because like a lot, like a lot of the stuff with like conservatives is like it's all about like it's it's all about like racial politics or like culture war stuff, and so people just are like they either just make fun of it and laugh at it, or you know, they just like completely ignore it, like and and and it's all the better, you know. And I mean, I'm sure there are parts of it that aren't you know, that aren't great. I'm sure it's not great about some stuff, but like it's just, uh, it was weird. I think Americans finally have finally started to figure out that, like, you know, no, this is it's all part and parcel. It's all it's all part of the superstructure.
Speaker 1: You gotta well listen.
Speaker 3: I really need when Beyona to finish the job on these motherfuckers so that I can watch the playoffs, because unfortunately, I'm so insane about Oklahoma City that I haven't really been able to enjoy basketball this year because everyone keeps mentioning it and like I am like I can put my hand up. I'm fully rabid about this. I cannot be normal or enjoy myself. So I just need.
Speaker 1: Them gone and then I can I can enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Like the greatest test of my strength was really when certified Kiwi hottie Steven Adams played for Lahoma City, and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, get that man off. The team.
Speaker 3: Let him somewhere dacent and I believe he's in Memphis now or something. I was like, fine, finally, like, don't make me look at some hotty in Oklahoma City fucking here.
Speaker 1: This is ridiculous. This is ridiculous stuff.
Speaker 3: And I mean, and I know they're all like children and I shouldn't, but I am. And so look, it's it's hard enough being me. I'm just trying to get through the goddamn day as a Sonics fan.
Speaker 2: First of all, Stephen Adams is like in his late mid thirties, So I don't think you got to worry about that. It's like, I don't I don't think. I don't think we're even you know, yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 3: Listen, we're not We're not doing we're not doing problematic age gap discourse.
Speaker 2: On the show too. Yeah, but yeah, yeah, it's like we're a medieval podcast. This is hardly an unacceptable age gap that called me what you called me when it's a sixty four year old and a twelve year old, and then.
Speaker 1: Well then we'll have a conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's listen, we love basketball, folks.
Speaker 3: Uh, this is the basketball podcast now and it'll be even more so once the hated thunder are removed from my line of sight.
Speaker 1: You know, truly, the French are our saviors.
Speaker 2: So yeah, come on, no, no god, why oh oh man? All right, well let's let's do a podcasts.
Speaker 1: Let's do it. We do.
Speaker 4: We have a podcast.
Speaker 2: Ostensibly, Hello, welcome back to We're Not So Different podcast about how we love giant French alien guys modern. Every time I look at him, I'm like, man, modern nutrition and uh and medicine. Are you you would have been Oh my god, He's like, yeah, I'd have to talk to you about it before. Everybody. Like nine percent of people over like six foot four have been born in the last one hundred and fifty years or so, and it's just like like imagine like just taking like you're just a medieval person, and like you show up and there's like a line. There's like a line of like Wimbin Yama, Luca don Uh like uh, like George Mura San like just like all of these guys, and you're like, yeah, we have enough of these people that we can fill thirty something teams uh National Basketball League, and then there are more of them in leagues elsewhere and they're just like, the tallest man I've ever seen is five foot six.
Speaker 3: The medieval people are like, get them a pike. Yeah, his ass on the battlefield.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's some there's some lord who's like, if you put a pike in Wimbin Yama's hands, he just he just provides, like he just you just need shields around him to block the arrows.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, they just do.
Speaker 3: You could just kind of send him on his way and it would be good, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, folks, today we're to finish up talking about a round. Yeah, although we're going to talk about horse now moods what a shock. Before we do, we got a question from Ollie Camp who says who takes the biscuit as the most nanci of British kings?
Speaker 5: Oh God, huge spoiled for choice, I mean literally, because the thing that's really messed up is like how much Nansen is involved in the whole thing, like generally and completely.
Speaker 3: Because it's like that's why they send all their kids to boarding school. It's like so they could get nons dislike their dad, yeah or whatever the fuck, and they can share the same specific like trauma or whatever.
Speaker 1: So like that's fun.
Speaker 2: But I mean.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because I'm like, you know, the biggest wrong in is obviously Henry the Eighth, But all those women were above marital age. So it's kind of like fi. I mean, like say what you will about the man, and I will.
Speaker 2: We can slander him for a lot of things, but not that's he liked.
Speaker 1: Having sex with adult women to his credit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like the thing is, it's like we don't know that much about the nonsen because like even if you marry like a kid, which is like really it's like really uncommon to pair off a kid with an adult, right, So it's like if you get married off at an early age, it's usually that you're getting married off at an early age to another kid, right.
Speaker 1: Like that's that's what they're doing there.
Speaker 3: And as a result, like they just kind of and then they sit around and wait till they're sixteen, right, and then that's and then that's when you have sex. Now, the trouble is, we don't really know what they get up to in their own time. Yeah, right, Like I don't know in your free time, are you nancing? It is quite possible, you know, they have a whole mess of illegitimate children all over the goddamn place. Like I was having to explain this at work the other day some people who are like, oh, well, is it weird that you know William the Conqueror was a Bassard. I was like, no, that was normal, Like that's normal, Like that's how, that's just how normans do it. And also like there are so many bastard kids around the joint. I'm not exactly always sure who they're having these bassard children with, though. No, I'm gonna be real with you, like, who are we shagging here? I don't know, So it's actually kind of difficult to say in particular.
Speaker 1: So I'm just gonna have to go with all of them. Yeah, tire them all of that brush. I don't trust to damn one of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I don't.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: It's one of those things where unless there is an outstanding legend that could somehow be attested to. I also don't know how we're gonna look, how we look it up, and how people would have known about that, because like you know, I mean, it is frown How would that have how would that have disseminated to other people? And if they found out, like why why was it something done about that specifically, yeah.
Speaker 3: Because they don't like it. Yeah, they're like, we definitely have. So for example, there's like a court rule that survives to us from I think fourteenth century York off the top of my head, where there's like a twelve year old who gets married to some guy in the city and they take his ask to courtner like what are you the fuck are you doing? Unants good, like get out of here. But then weirdly, like the girl's like, no, I love it.
Speaker 1: I love being nonsd And it's just like Jesus and every one of the court is like Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: It's one of those things where like everyone at the court is that the judge is ready to bang his medieval version of a gavel. He's ready to bring it down, and like everybody's like, thumbs up, we did it. We got this nonce fuck. And then this girl walks up and she's like, I am a sound mind and body I have I have that attested to by this mini psychiatrist. I love this man.
Speaker 1: And you're like, god, fucking I do it.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm giving up the law and I'm going to be a brigand fucking yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Like, what is the point of any of this if that's what we have to do. So yeah, and everyone was just like gross. So and it's like a whole thing. It's quite a famous case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I shouldn't cast this versions on a twelve year old that is a oh yeah, it's a fucking insane thing. To the psychology that goes into that is just Yeah. I hope, I hope she had a good life, That is all I will say.
Speaker 3: I mean, I doubt if she lived in Fourtunes God York, so yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 2: God no, yeah, anyway, Uh, it's a hard answer to find. But uh, look, they had different sexual mores than we did. They had different ideas about when sex should occur, and especially about consent and things like that. Uh but look, adults fucking children.
Speaker 1: Has It's always been weird.
Speaker 2: It's always been really frowned upon. That's not something that you do typically. I guess they're the Greeks, but that they're not getting into all.
Speaker 3: But also like they're weird, yeah, right, like that, like it's not a normal state of affairs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there was that like ain't that ancient like medieval like warrior culture thing where like if you were with a man before he grew a beard, it was with a sorry. If you're with a boy before he started to sprout a beard, it was like free slash yeah, and you're just like okay, yeah, well fuck gross anyway, Yeah, let's uh uh yeah, we gonna answer another question later. But Ollie, thank you for that one. And if you want to ask us questions like these or hear the bonus episode we've got coming out this Friday on the Seven Deadly Sins and what all that means and what it doesn't mean, then check us out Patreon, dot com, slash w nstpod five bucks a month. It's great, it's fun. You will like it.
Speaker 1: You will.
Speaker 3: It could be in the eyes and tell me you look like it. You can't because this is an audio format.
Speaker 2: Yep, it look me in the eyes from the past when you you will be hearing this in the future. Welcome to the world of tomorrow. Yeah all right, okay, So on the main show, So we pick up where we left off last time. The large delegation of leaders from around the old territorial outlines of Greater Iran making the extremely long journey from Quasvon on the southern coast of the Caspian Sea all the way up to Karakorum in central Mongolia. In twelve fifty one, the group of dignitaries led by the Quadi of Quasvon were making the trip to pay their respects to the new Kagan of the United Mongol Empire, Manka Khan, and to make a humble request. They simply asked the Manka extend the rule of the Mongol Empire even further, making it the largest landed empire and world history, and saved West Asia from centuries of misrule in the process. Three decades before, the Mongols under Timujin had repaid the foolishness of the chorusm Shah and his idiot relations a millionfold by wiping the Corasmian Empire off the map, an act which did entail outsize destruction in northern Khorasan. Herat had been put to the sword, and the formerly grand city of a Nicheppur no longer existed. Then their land had been placed under the auspices of a military governor, just like the early Callus had used to stifle Iranian autonomy. In the first place, they had no sovereign and were subject to constant raids by fringe nomadic groups. How in the fuck could more of this be a better thing? Yet, the assembled notables, the new vanguard of the ideological project, had seen the bigger picture and had an idea. Yes, living on the periphery of the Mongol Empire was a familiar type of hell, But amalgamation into the empire proper wealth the stability they craved. Really, it was all they needed to spread Iranian culture and influence into the wider world. Despite the dire circumstances, this six hundred year old ideological project had survived in secret, perhaps the sole survivor of the Islamic conquest and cultural genocide that followed in its wake, and had even flourished to some extent. What's more, it had done so with an almost total apps of state level authority or even a set way of life for over half a millennium. But it wouldn't live on without a stable state with rulers who bought into the Iranian Iranian identity to some degree, which is why the election of Monkey Khan was a godsend. Despite the horrors the Mongols inflicted, many of the wealthiest families of Greater Iran began working with them immediately sending their children into imperial service. This included the if Takar family of Quasvin, who sent the Quadi to serve as a tutor for the grandchildren of Timujin himself, including Monkey, Kublai, Hulegu, and more. Thus, the quiet work behind the scenes had already been done, as the grandchildren had been inculcated to the Iranian identity and Persian language since adolescence. It was a massive risk, but simultaneously a perfectly calculated one. For the first time in six hundred years, Iran had a chance to thrive, and the dignitaries made the most of it. Monkey heard their please and sent his younger brother Hulegu to do the job, which would result in the defeat of their enemies, Iranian incorporation into the Empire, and blessed stability for a time in the newly formed Ilkanate. Later, the Quadi's gamble paid off spectacularly, with one of whu Legu's descendants adopting Islam and fully assimilating to Iranian ways. But the ultimate survival and global flourishing of the Iranian identity and ideological project would it be realized under the Ilkanate Instead. The final champion of this cause was Timur, the last great Eurasian nomadic conqueror, who was born into an Iranian miliu created by the Ilkhanate rule. In the end, it was his adoption of Iranian ways and the success of his Tiburid empire that would create a cultural renaissance built upon Iranian thought and language that took Asia and Europe by storm. This would cement Iron's play in history and pave the way for the rise of the Sapavids, who realized the long culmination of this process by reintroducing a native ethnic Iranian state into the early modern world. All Right, today is our fourth and final episode in the series on a pre modern Iran. Today we will discuss the continuation of the ideological project from the initial Mongol invasion circa twelve nineteen up to the fall of the Timurids in fifteen oh one, and briefly touch on how these Saphaphids brought it into the early modern period. We'll also try to shed a little more light almost the situation on the ground looked like at the time, why it was so apocalyptic to the people, and how it shook out at the end of the Middle Ages. Next week I will be on vacation and we will be unlocking a bonus episode, possibly the Dinosaur one, for everyone to yay.
Speaker 1: That's a good ass one. Oh sorry, sorry, yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm too excited about my own podcast, right.
Speaker 2: I like it. Damn this episode of May we'll be out for patrons this Friday. And yeah, as I said, we're talking about the Seven Deadly Sins and whether they're actually deadly or not. I mean, I'm currently thinking gluttonous thoughts about lunch right now, and yet I remain on this mortal coil. What's up with that? Suck suck it? Aquinas? You dead bitch? If he's so holy, why is he dead?
Speaker 1: Oh? God, get his ass? Many many questions. I mean, Luke's thinking about lunch and Aquinas is dead, so.
Speaker 2: How And I'm wrathful. I'm wrathful against And here I stand. Once we get struck by lightning in the house somehow, and you're like, well, fuck, yes, he showed me. All right, let's start out with a broad question, real quick from MG in your face speaking of the Iran series Great by the way, years ago, I heard an Iranian nationalist claim that the all the accomplishments of the Islamic Golden Age in terms of math, science, medicine, maintaining ancient knowledge definitely all came from the Persian tradition of recent converts, and Iranians should push for a serious rebranding of the term to be something like medieval Persian Golden Age, because everyone attributes almost anything labeled Islamic, especially back to the Arabs, and or that early Islam has been seen as an undifferentiated mass on the world stage, but essentially Arab and that pissed him off.
Speaker 3: What say, y'all, that's really interesting, that's really interesting. Yeah, I don't have a lot of skin in the game. And I mean, like my like Reugh reference points to it are. I mean, it's true when like if I'm thinking about like you know, Avicenna and stuff like that, I'm like, yeah, okay, get some points.
Speaker 2: I would say, so that there's two things I thought about. And I did want to say this because we're talking about Iranian identity, Persian identity, Persian language and stuff like that. And I mean, like they were not the stars or the center of this show. As we've seen during the Middle Ages, the what we call it on is either occupied or left to fend for it. It was not the center of the world at that point. There's a lot more stuff going on, and there are a lot of other places that are more important at this time. Now. The thing I would say about this about the Islamic Golden Age is that the Iranian culture contributed greatly to science, especially astronomy. They were huge into that. We'll talk about that with Timmur in a few minutes, and with culture. But a lot of the agricultural and a lot of the agricultural mathematic and scientific stuff came from Iberia, which would be not like not Persian, not Persian, not iron.
Speaker 1: And like quite famously, quite famously not Persian.
Speaker 3: And I mean, I do I do think that there is you could have within this circumstance. I do think you could have a discussion about like does the Iberian Peninsula account as.
Speaker 1: Like Arabic, certainly not, but is Islamic.
Speaker 3: So I mean I don't have a problem because I mean I suppose that I tend to say Islamic Golden Age and it's like, well, yeah, they're all.
Speaker 1: So, so I guess I don't see the problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't like yeah, and I mean, calling it the Arab Golden Age also takes away from the fact that if you believe that Persian identity is the dominant factor behind the Islamic Golden Age, you would that necessarily works against that. That works against calling it the calling Arab, because they were explicitly not Arab. They were they were originated in Persis, and they took over this wide thing. We talked about Greater Iran, and then the heart of it moved to Korusan. But I mean it was all the way up into Central Asia, Bukhara, samarcand all that sort of stuff. They had extensive relations with China. They it's it's I don't think the Arab thing works. I think Islamic works better because this was under the wide auspice of Islam, and at least at the beginning it was technically all under the auspice of the Umids when a lot of this stuff was going down. So I don't think it all happened there. I just I mean, there's too much good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think that you're right.
Speaker 3: And I think also a thing I would suppose I would say about it too, is like dog, I've never heard anyone call it the Arabic Golden Age. No, I've only ever heard the Islamic Golden Age. Like that's not like and you know, this is one of the things, like it's not as though I don't also fall into ideological traps, you know, like we Yeah, especially when it comes to things like nationalism.
Speaker 1: You know, it's very heady, yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, you know, it's a it's a hetty little mixture, and especially if you see yourself as being particularly put upon or uniquely.
Speaker 1: Oppressed, you know, like you've all.
Speaker 3: Had to hear my check bullshit for a million years, you know, and it's like and that's kind of cute.
Speaker 1: Because it's like, well, what did we ever do?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: But you know, it is one of these things where I'm like, I'm not even really sure what you're getting at, you know, sometimes because it's.
Speaker 2: Like, what did you guys do? You didn't willingly submit to a Vichy style Nazi government, unlike some places that it had to be thrust upon you at gun and bomb point.
Speaker 3: Everyone's just mad at us for having the balls to actually bomb a Nazi that's.
Speaker 2: Right, fuck it, Yeah, yeah, I just I don't. I mean, you know, clearly this is anecdotal, and you know, I don't know this person who said this or anything, but it's just I think that's something you might expect from his an Islamic nat or excuse me, an Iranian nationalist to say, just as you would expect an American nationalists to say, like America's great, like look at all this stuff we've got, you know, you know, oh, look at all the stuff we manufacture here. Look how great we are. And you completely forget the fact that we can't manufacture jack shit here without Chinese components. So it's like, you know, like, yeah, it's it's it's kind of part and parcel with the thing. I would say that it's definitely not correct.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 2: A lot of the stuff I have I have seen once or twice. A lot of this stuff be called the Iberian or the Andalusian like Golden Golden Age, and I think that's just anecdotal because it's what people are more familiar with, like in certain cases, because I mean a lot of the math, a lot of the science and medicine stuff they did came from all underloose, so you know, yeah, shut it came from Yeah, it came from everywhere. I mean, the just thinking about the Arab agricultural Revolution, which we talked about a couple of times. Like, I mean, a big part of that was re uh rebuilding and modernizing old Roman uh water wheels and stuff like that, which is definitely something that would not have come from Persia because and I mean all of the like the foods that they spread around, like the bananas and stuff like that, which came from deeper in Africa. You know, it's like yeah, it's anyway, yeah, uh So that was the whole thing. And I also did just want to say, like, you know, there's there's a lot of there's a lot of people doing a lot of stuff in here, and it's in you know, we're focusing on this because of Ron is in the news now, but you know this was not the center of the universe anything.
Speaker 3: I mean, although I kind of love it when people do this ship. I think it's really funny. I think I've told this. I think I've told this particular story before, but I'm going to do it anyway again.
Speaker 1: Which is one time my.
Speaker 3: Dad, like in Chicago, there was like a Lithuanian social club.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like very Chicago story.
Speaker 3: There'd be all kinds of esoteric immigrants and they would start a social club and in the lobby they had in marble engraved a map of the Polish Lithuanian Empire under the Agalonians and it said and it said return what you owe around it.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I just think it's a Chicago and it's like.
Speaker 3: And it's just a very funny way of relating to the Agalonians say like, oh yeah that's all. That's all like completely completely Lithuanian.
Speaker 1: And I'm just like, you know what.
Speaker 3: Dog absolutely get it, like get after it. But I mean my point is this is what this is. Your brain on Nash is right, you'll.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, yeah, you'll think of some things.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Nationalism is uh, it's one of those things that we have to deal with. Talked about it many times. Any country that is conquered from without is going to develop nationalism to some degree. And you know, even if we rooted it out from like everything else, that would still happen, like regardless, and it's something that has to be combated. So uh yeah anyway, Uh, I gin your face, thank you.
Speaker 1: For the question, thoughts provoking question.
Speaker 2: Indeed indeed in stroke it Yeah, like Bart Simpson, uh with the like the smoking jacket on, but he's.
Speaker 1: Blown the bubbles, yeah.
Speaker 2: Which is still like how I think about like, uh, like snooty smoking because pipe tobacco fuck off and die man. I'd rather smoke bubbles anyway. Uh, let's talk about the Mongols, so folks are not going to rehash all of it, but uh, you know, twelve o seven, Timmygen finally takes the reins of the Mongols begins spreading out. They take over parts of China. They assimilate the Wiger and.
Speaker 1: Other Laban's realm. But for yes, okay, that's what you're doing exactly.
Speaker 2: They assimilate a lot of southern Siberian groups as well, Tongu goose groups and stuff like that, and they spread out. And then as we talked about and I think it was episode two forty nine, we talked about some medieval blunders. If you want a recap of the invasion of the Korismian Empire from twelve nineteen to twelve twenty one, you can go and listen to the second half of that, and then when you're done and you listen to this, you can then go listen to the first half of that as well, and you can hear about the White ship and us make fun of us stupid that was too.
Speaker 1: Don't drink its sale, guys.
Speaker 2: Don't nope, uh yeah, so uh Timmy Jane invades the Corasbian Empire and this includes a large part of corus On. They devastate so much, just just so so much, like I mean, they we we should, we should, note, of course, that the numbers that are cited are both insane, because they said that one point four million people were killed at Herat, and I'm gonna tell you that the largest city in the world this time was at most like a million or one point two people, like.
Speaker 1: No, we just didn't have that people. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But it's also funny because those numbers come from official Mongol histories, which means the Mongols were that that guy turned it in and was like, yeah, we killed they killed five hundred thousand at Herat, and Timijen's like like, no, higher, I want I want people to I want people to think we stained the ground red with you know, and like all right, boss, sure, yeah yeah. Timijen dies in twelve twenty seven. The Mongols remained united, but lands were divided between his four sons. Uh The area of Khorasan would have been a very peripheral area, would have been part of the UH. It would have gone to Chagatai and become loosely part of the Chagatai Khanate later, but it was also contested by the descendants of Jochi, who had become the Golden Horde, which was the western part of the Mongol Empire up into Russia and stuff like that. Ogaday took over for Timijen, and after he died there was a ten year into regnum and then Guyuk, who was one of Ogaday's sons, became kagan for two years before he died, and then control passed to the Toluid dynasty, which are the sons of Timmingen's youngest son, Tolali, and they were supposed to rule the Mongol heartlands. However, there was a problem going on, and not a problem, but there was an underlying political turmoil going on, which was Timugen and his sons were all I mean, they were all nomadic. Oga Day took to uh the settled lifestyle more than the rest. He was a heavy drinker. He built Caracorum during his lifestyle.
Speaker 3: But Uh, he said earlier, like look the man wasn't drunk, he wasn't getting on a fucking horse.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's no. He would he would kill a lot of people, but he was a fucking life not gonna commute. Yeah, all right, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna Yeah, fucking hell brouh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not getting I'm nursing a hangover over here.
Speaker 2: What you think this is?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So uh manka is he kind of like his things. He's gonna like rebuke the ways of Ogaday and they're going back to the ways of the Mongols under Timusen. And you see this thing develop in the grandsons of of Timugen, where they had all been raised and they had all been tutored in uh, in all of these languages and all in all of these subjects by like the greatest tutors in the empire, Persian, Chinese, everyone, you know, everyone they could find, and and they had been taught like this. And as they were raised more in closer to cities and and things like that, some of them were like, look, man, all that shit is great about riding around, but like what if I just ruled from like a really big you know.
Speaker 1: Like again, I'm not going to commute.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, what.
Speaker 2: If what if I just ruled from here from here and like we you know, we just got some motion, you know, or like and we didn't yeah, and we didn't call the people that we rule over dirt scrapers and like treat them like shit, what have you? Just you know, treated them like normal people or whatever. And that is like a rift in the Mongols, and it's gonna be a big thing going forward. But at the same time, there are the sons of Uh Totalis and they have a civil war. But we'll talk about that in a minute. There is the destruction of the Korism Empire created a power vacuum and ran for thirty years. There was no ruler uh rule, There was no overruler. Everything was localized. Raids were common from like their own bandits, plus random Mongol Horde hangers on and vassals. The Golden Horde didn't really establish it. Neither neither the Golden Horde nor Czech Tai Khanate established any kind of king in the area. And then, you know, as we said, when Monkey came to power in twelve fifty one, a large delegation was sent by the people of Iran to Karakorum to request, you know, please please help us stop the anarchy everything like that, and I mean they just they took people from Korusan, Ciston, Iraq, Shiraz room. They just they took they took all of these people and they were like, please just incorporate us because this is insane. We cannot live under this. And Monkey because this meant uh expanding the empire, which you know was was part of his ambit according to according to their ways. Uh. He said, uh, younger brother Hulegu go and take control of western and Central Asia, while his other brother, one of his other brothers, Kublai, was sent to finish up the work in China.
Speaker 3: He's going to decreate, decree at least one stately pleasures dome at least.
Speaker 2: One at least at least one in Xanadu.
Speaker 1: If not, you know, I'm just saying yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh. So Julegu comes in. Uh he gets down there around like twelve fifty five or so. Uh. He he and his forces are the ones who are responsible for killing the uh the Hashashin assassins. Uh after they had sent someone after Monkey, and he was like, yeah, we're gonna be done with that.
Speaker 3: So they they were like, unfortunately, you guys are too like you smoke too loud.
Speaker 1: Yep, your members too bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you hash Susians, they'll kill you.
Speaker 2: You see, you see too much of the gates of Gehina. When you are the gardens of Gehina, when you when you when you smoke good And so they took him out and then Monkey turned his attentions to the by this point barely clinging on a bass in Califate in Baghdad and uh Julegu, Uh, I mean they they destroyed bagh Dad. It didn't what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like it's a bad scene. Like the vibes are not the vibes are not tranquil.
Speaker 2: We'll just see yeah, I mean yeah, it's it's like it's like in any city. But I mean Baghdad at the time was uh was I mean, well, yeah, it would have been probably the second most fortified city in the world after Constantinople, and it like and I mean they just reduced it. It estimated that this might have been the The army that was sent with who Legu might have been the largest army the Mongols ever fielded. It was possibly over like one hundred and thirty thousand soldiers to begin with. Now a lot of those are doing like Garrison shit because they had a wide span of territory to get through. But yeah, they took out Baghdad. But the thing about it is is that much like timmygen had done, who Legu said, hey, uh, let's get all of those books out. And so they took call the books and they eventually took them to uh Maree mereg Uh which was became the capital for a little while. They built it up there and uh he who Legu was also like, uh, hey man, these people really like me. Oh. They gave me this cool purple cloak to wear and this weird looking exotic crown from back in the day. That like, uh oh, well this seems so nice and they want me to be the king of king. Oh this is great. And so whether he had been before this or not, who Legu was converted to what we might call the reformist uh sect of the Mongols, and he was like, these cities great.
Speaker 3: We like uh we like flattery goes a long way it it does, you know, like bribery works, guys. I just think that that's an important thing. Remember, with a lot of medieval people. If you just give them a nice enough hat, they'll probably.
Speaker 1: Go with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, politics, yeah uh and uh. So at this time, a lot, they the the Ilkonate Stable lot was was formed right here and it basically stabilized rule in this greater like southwestern and central Asian area. And it was it was what they needed on the ground to start to to start moving in the direction. Because now that they had this, they all all of the like the the Ilkinate bureaucracy, administrative state, the Keshigs, which were like the basically the praetorian guards for the Uh, for the cons Uh were staffed with the sons and daughters of corus On you know that like it's uh, I mean they they they knew just like other people did that when the Mongols come in, the Mongols do not have a strong enough for central form of culture to uh to not be assimilated.
Speaker 3: Into Amilate Mate. They're yeah, they're they're about that life, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's yeah, it's yeah. And so that started that started to to kind of stabilize. But the problem was that the uh, the the other stuff going on in the Mongol Uh Empire did not and at this time Uh Monkey Con died in twelve fifty nine, and normally this would mean that all of the would be successors are going to have to go all the way back to Carricorum and they would go through a coral tie and that was you know that, that was fine. However, Uh it didn't really work out like that. So Manke wanted his Uh, one of his brothers named Eric Boca, to take over from him and become the next Kagan and he was technically he he was technically crowned there. But at the same time, Kublai held his own coral tie in China and was crowned there, and so that started the that was part of the Toluid Civil War and part of the wider Mongol Civil War. And Uh Hulegu had had been he was going to go back, but he lost a battle to the Mamelukes out of Egypt, and things weren't looking great at the time because the leader of the Golden Hoard his name was Burke, the leader of the chek At Tai Khanate who is Algu and the man Lukes had formed an alliance and it wasn't looking pretty for for Hulegu. However, that all kind of resolved itself because in twelve sixty five they all died within like three weeks.
Speaker 3: It's weird how this just happens sometimes in the medieval period because it is so much easier to die of things, so you will just kind of have these mashed casualty events essentially where it's just like, you know, it just all kind of like falls over and you're like, oh, okay, well yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah yeah. Kublai cut off supplies to Kara Korum Eric Boca. Eventually we drew his claim back the way and was shamed into exile and then he was killed. Kublai took over the United the vaguely United Mongol Empire in twelve sixty four, which was that role still had enough power to command everything and keep it going, and that meant that the Golden Horde and the check A Tai Khanate backed off because Kublai supported the Suns of Hillo Hulegu and uh so the Ilkanate got to uh stick around and uh yeah when that happened, that meant because uh Kublai ruled basically all of the eastern part of the United Mongol Empire, that that became the more reformist group of Mongols, as did the Ilkanate and you know the check A Tai Khanate and the Golden Horde. Uh tried to keep up with the old ways, but I mean those are fading any way, because you can't really in a state like that, at least it's not it's not really easy to do that. Yeah. But yeah, So with who Legu the Persian, the the Iranians were like they they got the guy. Whether he was like this before or he just thought it was great. Uh, they got the guy they wanted. He was viewed as despite not being Muslim, he was viewed as a good king in the model that they liked. And so he received a fatois from a Muslim cleric Ibn Tavis, you know, and it basically said a good Heathen ruler is better than an evil Muslim. When UH the normalized they normalized trade. Because Tim Muchen had been a fan of art and had forced his sons and grandsons and on down the line to receive education in the arts and stuff like that, the Hulegus generation was very into it was very into the arts. They were very into into culture. Once again, they didn't use Persian wasn't the official court language, but it was spoken, but it was the official language of high culture.
Speaker 3: Like that was Yeah, it's like the high Valerian of yeah, like whatever.
Speaker 1: They're like, oh yeah, that's just like it's it's just cool, right, like.
Speaker 3: You know, in particular in this era, we see it being thought of as kind of like a very good language for poetry.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 1: So it's like.
Speaker 3: Rather a lot of like that around the shop and like that's the vibe. Like and I think this is just sort of an important point because it does show you how fruitful these particular team could be. Like having you know, like the Mongols is not always great, but they they do have some kind of underlining, underlying appreciations of varying things. And occasionally they will force you to go to art school if you're like one of the kids, right ye, So like that's helpful. And then when they they also just like these weird little things like it's it's part of what makes them tick.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you can see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and who let you? Because the Mongols were famously like, yeah, your religion's fine, whatever. They they let the they let Islam go unhindered as for the most part, and they let the Sufis go and you know the Sufi mystics, they perform miracles, they do you know, all this sort of stuff, and uh, that is you know, that's going to continue to be infused on down the line, and that's going to be part of what becomes she Ism here in a bit. After Hulegu died, it was actually his son Abaka Khan ruled for about seventeen years and really helps solidify the empire.
Speaker 3: They side note Abaca con just makes me sound like they are like insulting cons in an anime.
Speaker 2: But it's Sunbacca Obaka Khan, Chaka Khan's sister, our brother.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, listen all the jokes we're making our bad Let's move on. Okay, wow wow.
Speaker 2: Uh. After Obaka died, there was uh, let's say, some issues for about thirteen years. Uh. One of one of these rulers was so bad that he tried to introduce paper fiat currency into a into a state that heton had had fucking uh it had a stable rule and I don't know half a millennium.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this dog dog check out this picture of a monkey.
Speaker 2: You got guys. You got guys paying in like sheep and like military service, and they're like yeah, but paper money, right, And it's like, yeah, I don't think, uh, I don't think that one from China's gonna make it brou But luckily the UH they got a lifeline when a guy named Gozen Cohn came to the throne in twelve ninety five, and he really was different to at least to some degree. He converted to Islam, although it was probably what we would call like a folk Islam because it was more based on like what Sufi said and was less.
Speaker 1: I'm really more spiritual than religious.
Speaker 2: Yes exactly one. Yeah, yeah, but you know, you know the Iranians did. They were like it counts. Put it on the board because Gazon just completely adopted all of the ship that the Iranians wanted to. He embraced Suphism, He took on a royal title that named Cosro the First and Iran in it total law reform. UH. He subjected land disputes to courts and stuff like that. He made UH preparations for soldier resettlement after they get out of the army because it UH, because it was so always so destabilizing. He tried to work with the more orthodox Mongols to try and get them in together with the subtle ones. And you know, during his life and the life of his son, it the Persian way just encroached on the Mongol way of life and took it over as as it is wont to do. But unfortunately for them, in thirteen thirty six, Souck where to go. Yeah, so Gozen died in three or four. His son Ol Jayetu ruled for thirteen years, and then Abu Sayid ruled for another like sixteen. And by the mid thirteen thirties, when Arpicon took the throne, he was executed and the the ilkinate dissolved and a new thirty five year power vacuum opened up that dissolved into local factions again. However, the state was more stabilized at this time than it had been. All Right, now, lastly, or very close to lastie, we turned to turn to a little guy named timyir So. But before we do that, I wanted to talk about what we do know on the ground. A lot of this stuff started to clarify more in the thirteenth and fourteenth century. So tell me if you've heard stop me if you've heard this one before. So the ruler, the guy with the money and the power and the soldiers, he says to some of his lesser guys, he's like, hey, if you provide me military so servis, I will give you some land. And they were like, damn, okay, okay, I like, I like where this has said it? Okay, Like what okay? Like what do we need to do? And he's like, look, you just you keep things in line, you keep everything going, and it'll be fine. You're going to serve as tax farmers to the locals. I'm not going to pay you jack ship. All of your money is going to come from soaking the locals for money. And even if people get double or triple text will characters not my problem. And uh, this, as you might guess, led to insane exploitation, monetary exploitation of the people on the ground.
Speaker 3: But no, you mean bad actors in my tax collecting yep, bracket.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, uh, in my bracket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: It's more like I think, yeah, exactly. So this the peasants, they would do what what peasants did, which was some of them would try to escape and This was technically easier here because things were more spread out, and I mean you could go jump in, you could try and jump in with one of the roving Mongol bands like you know, they those did exist. You just be like, yeah, I'm going to join a biker gang for a while. Mom, I'll see you later.
Speaker 1: She's like, Oh, that's a there's a that's a good career path son.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. But there was two things happened in the fourteenth century that that kind of started to change things a little to make it a little better for the peasants. The first is that the the land grants became hereditary. And while this this is not good for the entrenching of you know, a nobility. Yeah, if you don't have a nobility, you're just subject to change every time someone else, like when that guy dies, like his son is more likely to just come in and try to keep things smooth. Then like the new guy who comes in, and then you have to figure out a whole new tax regime and what you're gonna give and how that's gonna work. And also they they because the rulers were trying to uh make the rule better, they kept giving out more and more and more parcels of land, which meant that there there were more landowners and few of them had like totally like just taken so much land under themselves, and so this made it slightly better and also made it a little easier to uh to escape. Over time, the emirs who ruled over local towns kind of became like sheriffs and then defenders because after a while, they too got tired of the Mongol raids and were like, fucking stop, leave us alone. And sometimes that worked, and you know, sometimes it didn't, but you know that that happens. Yeah, the middling sort, the craftsmen and everything like that, they started to form guilds just as just as you might do and uh and then uh in the towns they would form militia clubs, and they basically protected the commoners. Again. They they would kind of work with the emir and be like, hey, stop, you can't come and harass these people anymore. And they protected them from extreme tax collection practices. But then the big thing was that they had adopted this, they had adopted this system where in order to protect with so much land turnover going on all the time between all of these these different roving groups, and bands in order to protect the property and the money they would invest in the property, hand it over to like a Sufie lodge to be held in their name, and the Sufi lodge would hold it and they would take in the proceeds from it and manage it and manage the peasants and everything, while the landowner who's over here would reap the benefits that came up according to the contract or whatever they had done. And in this way they removed a lot of the upper strata of horse nobles their desire to ransack local lands because they had a monetary stake in the upkeep and continued production of the local lands. And of course this took like, you know, a century for it to like actually boil down to this. But over time, the peasant because they got a stabilized system, even though we can see this as a version of the it's more of the military feudal aspects than what you typically got in Europe, but the peasant. But they had to develop a separate peasant system. And in this point it developed on the back of the on the back of the Sufi lodges, which became like uh, you know, helping you know, they help people, they were hospitals, they were community centers, blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like they're pretty chill people to Sufi's you know, yeah, they do nice things.
Speaker 2: What can we say. Yeah, And because of all of these advancements, it allowed for the rise of of protest movements and millinery and sex. Because even though things were getting better, look it still fucking sucks, and people were like, when are we going to be saved? And you know, not today but maybe maybe. But about thirteen eighty one, a young he wasn't actually young, a guy named Timmyir who had been born in what is now Uzbekistan to a Turco Mongolic family. He invaded the lands of Greater Iran, and he took them very very quickly. Yes not look he he just he took Karrot, he took Bukara or Ginch the he took sammarcand Balk same thing as before, you know, just piling up bodies, piling up heads, everything like that. Immediately the people of corus On are like, hey, man, you want to be the legitimate ruler of Iran. And he's like, yes, I do.
Speaker 3: Hey, hey, love what you've done with the place. I'm just wondering just hear me out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you think about the And the thing about Timirr is that, like he is the least likely one of these. The Mongols considered him short, which means he was maybe like five foot tall. He walked with an extremely noticeable limp later in life, which is I think where the name tamer Lane came comes from. It meant lame Timurror as I understand it, as I understand it. And he was also incredibly ugly, but because he had suffered like some like really debilitating scars during battle on his face or something like that. So this is the guy who comes in. He's illiterate, he's from the middle of nowhere, but the Persian Iranian cultural milieu has stretched this far, has has burgeoned out. And this guy fucking loved art, he loved science, he loved the whole deal. He is going to be responsible for the Timurid Renaissance, which is the western Central Asian version of the Italian Renaissance, although they're different in character, but.
Speaker 1: This one's real. And the Italian went in.
Speaker 2: Was when's she gonna when's she gonna say goat? I would you say goating? I say I just tossed it off the backboard for you to slam.
Speaker 1: The Renaissance isn't real. That's just universial. You've heard it all before, but it's worth saying again, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Uh, Timmy, yeah he uh, look he he is Islamic, but he's probably the same kind of folk Islamic that Gazon was. And despite not being a well versed theologian, he heavily donated to the Muslim religious elites and allowed uh Sufi and she she practices to go on. Uh. But he was also a conqueror and a lot of the cities around here were Islamic cities, and he did not care. In Delhi, Delhi is where you get the Mountain of Skulls motif, which is just.
Speaker 1: It is metal, but if you have to live through it, it's not the one.
Speaker 2: It's not yeah yeah yeah. Parts of Syria, the city of Isfahan, like they just you know. He was paradoxically defending Islam by killing a lot of Muslims for typically military reasons such as expedients. He did not seem to really have an issue with religion, and he from everywhere he conquered, from Otrar, tash samarcand all the way into Tafleece in modern day Georgia. Mousoul Baghdad. He burned Aleppo and Damascus, so he didn't take him over, and as I said, burned Delhi. This whole land. He is just taking scribes and artisans and people and he's bringing them to Samarkand because he's rebuilding it, and he's rebuilding it with all of these Persian texts, cultural texts that have been written, and he's I mean, there it said that there were thousands of artisans and scholars and theologians and astronomers, and they built all of this gorgeous astronomy equipment. And it's just you have all of this, you bring all of this culture in and when Timir died in fourteen oh five, he by his own decree, dispersed all of these people back to their lands. And so in some cases, these people had been in Samarkan for twenty ish twenty five years assimilating to this culture, learning to speak Persian. Uh Turkic was the language of the court, but Persian was the language for culture and and everything else. And you just he basically did like a twenty year study abroad program for all of these artists all of these cultural icons to go and and learn. And then when he died, he sent him back home. And of course what they did was they spread Iranian culture, Persian language with them. They they took like it's.
Speaker 3: Listen, you know, all study of broad students are are the same. You know, we're actually the sort of people who are gonna make it your problem. Like we're gonna make it your problem for the rest of our lives. That like, we actually speak a couple other things.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, it's like a guy who comes back saying crossol instead of croissant, or yeah, I studied in Bartela. Think of the widest man ever Shut the fuck upon. It's like some guy who insist on pronouncing the silent H at the end of bulk. He's like, book, all right, man, all right, simp, settle down, big guy, Like I want your October fess in motion, Like bitch, that's great. I got drunk on my couch. What's anyway? Uh, whether he meant to or not, I can't say. But this act of sending these people out was just man. Uh it people like it.
Speaker 3: People like to move around and do new things and funk about with art. It's it's what we are born to do. If you left, let us alone, you know, That's what.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And because they fought with the Ottomans, uh, the early Ottomans and defeated them a couple of times, him defeated by Zid the I at Ankara in fourteen oh two, which sent the Ottomans into a ten year civil war. But all of these people going back to where they came from meant that they went into the Ottoman lands too, And so that's why there is a lot of Persian, a lot of Persian influence in Ottoman art from this time, and a lot of Iranian influence in the Three Gunpowder the three Gunpowder empires that are going to show up, the Ottomans, of course, the Sephaphids who take over Greater Iran, and then the the Mughals in India, and all of this spread out from there. As I said, Timur was huge into religious syncretism. They I mean, he increased charitable investments. He was uh chili.
Speaker 1: He contained multitudes, a real game of two halves, this guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he contained multitudes. And as I said, you know, this is this is how the Iranian culture survives. This is how the language survives and everything like that. But on the ground, even though things have gotten better, things are still apocalyptic for these people, because like even when Timyir dies and even though his successor, Shah Rook, is very capable and rules for a long time, it's still there's still upheaval. Things are still bad for them. And so you get these uh apocalyptic religious movements that start to uh to pop up. There were the uh Sarbatids and uh they they were they had adopted the twelve over Shia philosophy, you know, the hidden Eye mom and all that sort of stuff, and uh they proclaimed their leader as the Mahdi and killed some tax collectors and eventually submitted to Timyr. But uh there within the uh Nrbakshi, who were just another cult following a guy who called him called himself the Mahdi, and and it just, uh it just kept spreading out from there, the notch the notch Bandi's, like they just had these groups coming up, and as this happens, there is going to be one of these groups that uh, you know, the Sufi's, they they start spreading everything like that. And there was a city called Ardabilt that is on the western coast of the Caspian Sea, and it started to become a popular trading hub. And eventually U a contemporary of Timur whose name was oh, fuck, I lost his name, the name the namesake of the Sapphaphis, whose name I am completely fucking uh forgetting right now. Uh, I don't remember. But he was a sheikh and Uh. They thought he was a cool guy. They thought he was fine. But years later his grandson isma Il would become a messianic figure. He would become uh. He would become the Mahdi to a lot of people. His thing was specifically the worship of of Allah through Ali, the cousin of Mohammed and brief ruler of the Caliphate, the rushed in Caliphate and Uh. Then he also convinced a lot of Turkic horse warlords UH that his uh he, he was their savior. They were called the quiz Bolash. And it's so much.
Speaker 3: Harder to convince people that you're their savior now, Like you have to go find Mormons in.
Speaker 1: Order to do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I can't, Yeah, you can't. Yeah. And then they rode back in and UH broke apart what was left of the Timurid empire because it was it was falling, it was not built to last necessarily, and it started to crack apart. The staff of it took over. Uh instituted the the Shia sect. Basically, it's believed basically as a way to instead of having personal rule, which is what they had been trying for so long, where like you you worshiped this one or this this one guy is the most important guy in the world, which is fine while he's alive, and even if he has like a kid who's good at it, But when that goes away, what are you left with?
Speaker 1: And most of them do not have kids who are good at it?
Speaker 3: Right, I'm gonna level with you, like most of these kids are just garbage.
Speaker 2: You know. He had to go through like six of Gazon's or six of Hulegu's sons to get through like uh to find to find Gazon, and Uh, oh I should have said with Gazon. Uh. The famed Islamic scholar, historian, polymath Rashada Dean he was Uh. He was Gazon's advisor, and many believe that a lot of Gazon's policies were just He was just a mouthpiece for Rada. A Dean in a lot of ways. And uh, since Rashada Deen was he come from the Iranian milieu. Uh, that was that that really showed up in a lot of his works. Anyway, Yeah, the empire, the Timurid Empire was not long for the world, and about fifteen oh one it started to collapse and the Sapphaphids take took over and they became a gunpowder empire. Eventually they were able to massage their histories away from isthma Ill uh basically claiming to be like the second Coming. Uh, and they were like, yeah, less of that and more of.
Speaker 1: Literally anything else.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, more more of the like moving towards what we would what we can start to see is more standard practices of Shia Islam. And of course this would lead to repression and they would do their own repressions and the Sunnies attacked them. But for a while there there was kind of a melding between Sunni and Shia there for a bit. But yeah, it's that is that's a run in the Middle Ages and in the ancient era for that matter.
Speaker 3: We get that's a lot, you know, we get we we I think that they are one of the ones where it's difficult to talk about them before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, such.
Speaker 2: A fifteen hundred Yeah, that's I mean, that's fifteen hundred years right there, from five point fifty to five fifty CE to fifteen hundred. Uh sorry, five fifty BCE to fifteen hundred CE. It's like, uh, our two thousand years Jesus Christ. They can't add it's uh, you know.
Speaker 1: Really it's a land of contrasts.
Speaker 2: It's I find it so interesting that it did survive and that like now, like when when I remember when I was a kid and you would read books and they would refer to everything in the East, all of that culture as Persia. It was Persia, this Persian Persian, Persian Persian Persian Persian Persian, and now was a lot of that stuff of Persian Iranian descent. Yeah, absolutely, but Persian became like a buzzword for Islamic art, culture, math, science, everything for a long time, and even to the point like where when we and Eleanor were kids, and I mean people still do it now to some degree, although you know, thankfully we don't have as much or as pervasive Orientalism as we used to. And you're you might roll your eyes and be like, oh, it's really bad, Like, yeah, it's it's not near. Yeah. Used to we would lose like our entire followership for doing a podcasts where we're like, yeah, uh, the Iranians were good. We're good people. You know.
Speaker 1: They're like, yeah, you you love you love Islam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys don't want to have lived through the aftermath of nine to eleven. But it is not pretty anyway. Yeah, it's just the culture survived, and I mean the people got by and just like in everywhere else so we talk about everywhere else where, we talk about you know, the land Management series, we talk about the battles of kings and emperors and everything like that. It affects, you know, the people on the ground too, and it did want to try and give a little bit of flavor for that. I know that that that people want more, but it's just it's really hard and we really only get clarity on it around beginning around thirteen hundred. Uh, you know, for what it was a lot of.
Speaker 3: People were just running through there making skull mountains, like I don't know, what's yeah, you know it's not that's bad for source survival, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, yeah, it's the same. It's the same reason that we that source survival for the very end of the Roman period in Europe is terrible because once the Goths visit, Goths, vandals, uh Frank's name it, German I, whoever the fuck it is, once all of them come through repeatedly and burn stuff, and you're just like, yeah, we don't know how they may whine back then because all of the everything's lost, like they took it and they broke it. Like I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like it's just still part of a rich chapstery, right, Like that's.
Speaker 2: What's going on now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have to make peace with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, I mean would if you went back in time and are somehow able to like make this all make sense if you told Cyrus the Great that this is what's going to happen, Like, would he think it was worth it? I mean maybe, I don't know. Maybe he would have been so offended by like, you know, by the idea of religious unitarian religious belief, you know, no pluralism and stuff like that. Maybe he would have been mortally offended by that. But then again, like I mean, you know a lot of the people who lived the generation before, you know, before us they don't approve of the shit we do either, Some like who cares the dead sit and sitting over all the living? You know. But yeah, it did survive. A part of Cyrus the Great, a part of the Meads, a part of the Elamites. All of that survived down to down to today. We still see Persian is still spoken. It's it's an incredibly popular language. It's still spoken in a lot of places, especially Orn And it's like, yeah, there it is, there's that there. We have this culture. We have these these old medieval uh lion winged lion motifs that look awful, similar to the winged lion motifs from the Caymanid era that you know, we're found in places like Susa, you know. So it's like it's there. You just you gotta you know, you just gotta follow it. And uh yeah, that's I don't know, that's pre modern Iran. I hope you all enjoyed it. I hope it was fun. Uh. I hope Iran continues their steadfast defense of themselves nowadays. Uh in what's happening right now? Yeah, I don't know what else to say. I hope, uh hope you'll enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: I hope you're all fucking happy with this.
Speaker 2: Is all your fault.
Speaker 1: No, look what you made, Luke do.
Speaker 2: No. I had a lot of fun. I had a lot of fun doing this, and I have learned so much. I think Derias's like ultra woke uh inscription will always stick with me because it's just so there's something so adorable to me about like a guy who like ransacks from Egypt to fucking India and is just like it was probably a usurper in the first place. And he's like, I built the this, this monument I built with all of my woke staff. There's that guy over there and he's from Persia and that guy's Farsi and that, and you're just like, okay, man, we really do fucking contain.
Speaker 1: It's dude, I.
Speaker 2: Conquered Egypt so I can have their Stonemasons build the legs on this thing. And you're like, oh, okay, sure, sure, yeah, okay, anyway, Yeah, things were better when we didn't have nationalism and you could just do stuff, just be like yeah, that's fine, Like we're like you, and you could tell that it's not nationalism because the people at the end of this are in no way directly linked to like Cyrus, except they inhabit broadly, in habit the same part of the world, and they speak a language downstream of of what of what he would have spoken like, they're not the but like that didn't matter, because it wasn't that you had to live in near Mesopotamia. It was that you adopted the Persian language and you liked cool art motifs or for sure. Anyway, thank y'all for listening. Folks. Uh man, I am gluttonous as hell for the lunch I'm about to have. Anyway, y'all, thank you. Enjoy the bonus that we unlock next episode. I am going back to Denver for the first time in seven years, going home, go not home, but going back to the place I wish I still lived, and Mike Mike to get get to go see the Colorado Avalanche. Should Okay, we're in the playoffs if they make if the series makes it the game five, but yeah, we'll see. Uh that'll be cool for me, eleanor what's going on with you?
Speaker 1: Ah, great question.
Speaker 3: I am in the middle of fucking festival season, so I am legally insane and I'm not allowed to make any legal choices for myself. If you are in London on Monday, there's a couple of tickets left for my gig with Kate Lister, the Betook the Sheets Live show. If you want to come check us out for that. It's at Caddagan Hall or by Slone Square.
Speaker 1: If you search for Book TwixT the Sheets Live you'll find that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that's the major thing that's going on this week. Otherwise, you know, I'm just in book hell while trying to run around and make a bunch of TV shows. So listen, everything is fine. It's gonna be fine, but it's gonna be finer in September, but we'll be okay.
Speaker 1: Oh, I guess the.
Speaker 3: Other thing that I got coming up is if you do if you are in the UK and you do want to go to Chalk Valley, I'm getting like fucking four talks there, so come along to those. Although I just don't think that we're I don't think our listeners are Chalk Valley demographic.
Speaker 1: I mean that as a compliment. It just seem like, yeah, anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, yeah, Well you can find me Lucas Amazing talking about whatever. You can find my old show People's Sisterville Republic. If you want to hear me yapping about Star Wars anyway, folks, that's gonna do it for us today. Thank you so much for listening. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: Bye. Oh wait wait wait wait no, keep it sloppy.