Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started at five o'clock hour here on a Friday afternoon as we get you set for the week, and it is coffee and company, and we are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the AHA Radio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. Also keep in mind anything that you may miss on the show, we'll have it up after the show with the podcast, and you know, just to kind of tell you where we've been today. We have talked you know, sports, like we typically do. But I will once again just reiterate something that I've mentioned at the start of each hour so far today and it's some personal news, I guess also you know, news guarding us in the station and I hear at Louisville. But as of let's see, let me make sure to get my dates right. I should probably get these dates correct before I, you know, start yapping. But two weeks from today will be my last show here on Sports Talk seven ninety I'm still saying it out loud makes it, I guess, seem more real, but also like, wait a second, really that that happened. But I've been given an opportunity to step in and take over for Tony Cruz on news Radio eight forty WHAS and host Kentucky Anda's morning news and join that incredible station that is, you know, legendary. So many legends have have been a part of it, some still are and I mean again, I just can't believe that it's happening, but it is, and I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: So I'll be moving to eight forty.
Speaker 2: On January, not January, June the second, and I will be starting every morning at five am and early early wake up call. But man, it's gonna be It's gonna be awesome. But I'll be uh hosting the show with a great group of professionals and broadcasters. Trying to think of all the words I can use to describe how great they are, because they are great. But Scott Fitzgerald is still going to be a part of the show like he has been for a long long time. He's he's the sports anchor and will also be a part of the show in other ways as well. And then a name you guys, I hope you remember, but John Alden, the company man, who really he was? I mean, he just got taken away from us, but he did leave us for you know, an earlier wake up call, but clearly a good move for him and a well deserved opportunity. He's been on the mornings at has for probably I guess about six months or so, so he and I will be reunited, and he's done a great job at adjusting to eight forty whas. And then of course John Shannon is our news anchor, which you will have you He'll have you updated with your news every thirty minutes.
Speaker 3: So that's the news.
Speaker 2: That's what I've mentioned here and there throughout the show. And I hate to, you know, make it all about me today, but if there is a day to do it, it's not so much so because I'm trying to be self serving, but you know, I want people to know one that let's make the most of these last couple of weeks here Coffee and Company on Sports Talk seven ninety fueled by Thornton's of course, but also you know, I want to be I'd be foolish not to use the platform here to tell everybody how thankful I am for them listening to me for you know, however long they've been doing it, maybe you're listening for the first time. If so, thank you, Glad to have you. But you know, being able to do this as long as I have, and it's not like I've been here thirty years, but to be able to say at any point that I had an opportunity to host a sports show on this station Sports Talk seven ninety still doesn't seem real at times, but it is. And I've been here for you know, I guess February of twenty twenty six would be a would be ten years for me as as a member of the iHeart Louisville team, So you know, it'll be under ten years, but not far from it when it's all said and done.
Speaker 3: And I think knowing that I'm that.
Speaker 2: I was going to be sharing this news this week really put me in a spot to where I reflected and I'm kind of happy to have it play out it in, you know, mentally for me the way that it did. And what I mean by that is that I do think I cherished every every moment I've had and I'm going to continue to do that over these last couple of weeks because just to have the opportunity on this station at any point, again I'm grateful for, but to be the host of three different time slots here on this station, the station that introduced me to what sports talk radio is as far as the format, you know, I remember hearing them talk about sports on the radio when I was in the car with my father and my mother at times when I was a kid, and it was probably Tony Cruz on Sports Talk eight forty or Lachlan maclain, and I just that was the first introduction for me that, oh wow, they talk about my cards on the radio.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 2: Usually I just like, I usually just listened to, you know, the nineties country music that my mom would have on the radio and whatnot.
Speaker 3: So that was cool.
Speaker 2: And then when I got a little bit older, right around the time I was finishing high school, that's whenever I realized, you know what this is meaning not just talking sports and a news talk platform, but sports radio the culture of it. And I mean, and I don't say this just to feed his ego. Lord knows, we don't need to get Tony Vinetti's ego any bigger, But this would just put in perspective sort of the timeline for me. Tony Vinetti has made the transition from rock radio. You know, I guess legend or I mean, I wish I knew the party Venetti in those days, because it sounds like it was a lot of fun, but I was I was too young at that time, so a lot of people at that time. When I started listening to Tony on the afternoon Underdogs with Adam Neft, and that's the show that really hooked me.
Speaker 3: But I didn't know Tony was a rock guy.
Speaker 2: I just knew of him because he was the guy that you know, was entertaining and talking sports and he would yell at callers and yell at at him Neft and I found that to be, you know, just different and I liked it. So, you know, most people at that time, and maybe some people still to this day, when they think of Nettie, they think about his run in rock radio, But like, I never knew that. I just listened to him do sports and I loved it, So you know, I was hooked Joe By and Denny show that was different than obviously the Underdogs, But I mean hearing stories from Joe B and Denny and then that was when I really got introduced to Dave Jennings and also Tony Cruz, who not only was hosting, I mean he was doing mornings on has I Believe, and then he made the move to doing, you know, basically being the host and kind of quarterbacking the Joeby and Denny Show. And I mean I could listen to those stories for forever.
Speaker 3: And Joe B.
Speaker 2: Hall's I'm sorry. My high school basketball coach, Lee Barker, his father played for Joe B. Hall at Shepherdsville High School many many, many years ago. And I got to meet Joeby Hall when I was younger, and I just you know, I remember hearing him tell stories the one time I met him, and then listening to him on the radio, I get you know, I could listen to those guys tell stories all day, and then I would listen to Jim Rome and that really made me think, Okay, this is you know, for those who know what the Jim Rome Show is, I was a clone. I would say that I still am, but I don't listen as much anymore. And he's actually on at the same time.
Speaker 3: We are right now.
Speaker 2: But I really just loved everything about sports talk radio, never with any any thought that I could find a way to potentially do it, because I wouldn't have even known how you do that? How do you how do you get an opportunity to, you know, be on the radio talking sports like you know, how's that happen?
Speaker 3: How's that work?
Speaker 2: And I, honestly to this day still can't tell you really how you know. I can't give advice because I think it's everybody's story is different and it's really timing opportunity, and I've been certainly.
Speaker 3: Blessed with with that. But you know, I just I loved it.
Speaker 2: And then as I got older and had had kind of you know, settled into my life, worked in the software industry, and got married, my wife was pregnant and at the time, you know, I was, I was, you know, I had an opportunity that I'm very grateful to this day Dugan Ryan, who gave me a chance here in this market, first person ever put me on the radio, and I'm glad he did. And I'm sure it was awful at first, and I hope it's much better now. But that's I guess up to you guys to make that decision. But you know, I just it never ever became. It never in my mind in any point early on was something I'd be able to do and it would be my job, my career. It's how I provide for my family. And then to have that opportunity and it be at this station that introduced me to it that I care so much about is as I sit here today, May sixteenth, twenty twenty five, like it still doesn't seem real, but it was real and it was awesome, and I'm so grateful to have non plus years on this station. And I don't know if I if I left it in better hands than it was than before I arrived, but it was an honor and and.
Speaker 3: It will be the rest of the way.
Speaker 2: But it's also an honor to be given the opportunity to fill, you know, to try to fill the shoes of Tony Venetti and those that came before him in that position. I mean, hosting Kentucky and his morning news on news Radio eight forty whas is something that I would imagine most that ever get a chance to get into broadcasting, like it's got to be a dream scenario. Understandably so for a lot of people, and here I am with that opportunity. And you know, again I've said it many times throughout the show today, it kind of doesn't seem real, but it is, and I'm happy that it is in fact real. And I'm so thankful for everybody along the way that has been a part of this in some form of fashion, but also thankful to those who made this decision right meeting, those who have influence that you know, have a role in deciding what are we going to do when Tony Cruz rides off into the sunset to retire, and they decided that I was going to be a part of it, and that is something that I'm forever grateful for and I will do everything I can to make it work and you know, make it work and keep it successful like it has been for generations or die trying doing so. So thank you to Gus Allen, my boss, who's been a big part of this process for me certainly and really been instrumental in the whole thing here. But also others here at iHeart, some that are no longer with the companies, some that are still here, Christy Beebe, Michael Jordan, Nathan Nelson, Josh Everett, Kelly Carls.
Speaker 3: These are all people that.
Speaker 2: You know, at some time in my time here, they've had a say so, And you know who gets to do this, who gets these opportunities, And I'm forever gonna be grateful for them letting me have letting me have this opportunity. So again, I don't know what's gonna become of this time slot on seven ninety seven ninety's not going anywhere. Obviously, you still have your morning lineup and you know that's going to continue to be super successful and great with the KSR crew and Tom Leach and whatnot. And again, I don't have any clue what they're gonna do. I don't have any say so, you don't have any influence, but I will certainly keep you guys up to the date as best I can because I'm gonna care like I'm gonna you know, I'm gonna I mean, I don't have any I'm not entitled to anything by any means, but like it's hard for me to not like want to know and because it's part of me, and that's that's what really has kind of hit me in the last few days. As I knew we were gonna start in this public and talking about it and we were getting it finalized.
Speaker 3: Is that you know, anything you.
Speaker 1: Do for.
Speaker 2: Let's see, nine years and three months, anything you do for that amount of time, I don't care how old you are, that is an extended amount of time. No, Like it's a big that's a segment of your life, roughly a decade that like, no matter how old you live, like, that's something that is a substantial amount of time. And of all the things that I've done in my life other than be married to my wife and of course you know exist, being a sports talk radio host on this station is the longest thing I've ever done, and that makes me so fulfilled and grateful. So anyways, we've been all over the place today outside of that, but I do you know today was going to be the day where it gets mentioned a lot. And I'm sure if you listen to this show, hopefully for extended amount of time, like you know, you're thinking, shut the hell up, Nick, We get it, you told us. But you know, I'm coach to understand. The audience turns over every hour, so I'm sure each hour there have been folks that have been informed. And now you know, so going back to something that we did start with, that is the NBA draft decisions for a lot of players. And I don't I could be wrong, but I feel like like the players that you see that have and I guess maybe because the combine is wrapping up and you're going to get feedback after the fact, you're going to know, you know, did you really take advantage of being able to play in the NBA Draft combine by improving your stock or maybe did you get the realization that you're not quite ready? But all the lists that are out there, when it comes to players that are you know, still have still yet to decide. I mean, I feel like most of them know they're coming back. They're just you know, they're not in a rush because they've already hit the portal, meaning they have clearance to decide where they want to go. But we'll know soon enough as far as but you know what's going to happen. I mean guys like I mean, guys like r. J.
Speaker 3: Lewis, r J. Luis from Saint John's.
Speaker 2: I mean, I kind of forgot all about him, but he never committed anywhere and he hit the portal and you know, when it comes to his draft stock, I mean, I don't think it looks as if he's somebody that'll be taken really early, so you would think he'd come back to school and whoever gets him is getting an All American.
Speaker 3: Because that's what he was. So PJ.
Speaker 2: Haggerty, I don't, I mean, I don't think the I don't think that the NBA is really an option for him right now.
Speaker 3: But he's still available on the portal.
Speaker 2: So what I'm getting at is, you see these guys that have you know, yet to make a decision I guess officially, But isn't their decision kind of like already made. Again, they can do whatever they want. Nobody's going to force him to come back to college. But when you look at the otega Oway situation, we played the sound for you guys earlier.
Speaker 3: You've got those covering.
Speaker 2: The NBA Draft Combine on NBA TV, and it's a new element to how we cover college basketball in the offseason because it used to be like you really had no ability to even get a feel for what your stock was. You had to decide are you going to hire an agent and then go through the process to see what your stock is or are you going to just come back to college because you know you're not ready to risk it and take a chance on yourself. I mean, it was never it never made sense for the NCAA to limit these guys from being able to truly see what their draft stock is. Now you can hire an agent, Now you can go through this entire process and then make a decision. But now whenever they cover guys like o take away for Kentucky, I mean they're acknowledging that the opportunity that he's going to have in the league will be there for him probably next year, and that he might get drafted. But he'd be passing up on not just way more money to come back to college and play for Kentucky, he would be passing up on what could potentially be the biggest payday he will ever get as a basketball player. And that is not a knock on him in any way. Maybe he gets a max deal in the NBA or something like that, but if he's going to get what is reported, and I don't really believe any of the numbers as far as what they actually are, and this not a UK thing, it's just in general. When I hear three point something million for a guy like JT. Toppin who's came back to Texas Tech. Maybe he is getting that money. And I'm just a hater and I refuse to believe that somebody in college is getting that amount, But I just I think it makes sense to exaggerate the number. And more than anything it may, it makes sense to never be fully transparent unless you have to, because you can control your own narrative. Oh we got big money. These guys are making big money because we've got it. But like you never really know. And I think the narrative that's out there that oh wow, they got big bags of money and they're giving them out that helps the school be more appealing to said player or recruit. And I guess if you're a player, even if you're not getting three million, but you're getting one point five, maybe people thinking you're getting three million could benefit you because it'll just look like you got all the value. Or it could also make people think, like three million, that's what they paid for this guy when he has a bad game. So anyways, my point is this, I don't think many of these guys will even be tempted to go to the NBA because the safe and secure payday is.
Speaker 3: To come back to college.
Speaker 2: And that's usually what people do, right, Like, they'll make the decision that's best for them and their career, and a lot of times that includes monetary stuff, right like money. And I mean, some of these guys be foolish not to come back to college. So what I laid out for cause it has been a conversation about Otega Away's decision and I understand. I mean, it'd be a big deal if he decided not to come back, because it would be a game changer for Kentucky in a bad way.
Speaker 3: But there's all this talk about, you know, his decision, what will he do?
Speaker 2: And again, like I just think it's it's a no brainer that he's that he's going to come back, and you know, obviously that's a really good thing for Kentucky. And the only scenario where he doesn't come back, it's to me it would be like if we find out I don't know, whenever the deadline is that he decided to keep his name in the draft, it would have to be one of these three things. Right. One, he did get a guarantee that like he couldn't pass up from an NBA teen that said we're taking you here at like eighteen or lottery whatever. Maybe and I don't think that's realistic, but like that would probably be something that would make him say, yeah, I can't turn away this.
Speaker 3: I'm not coming back to Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Or you'd have to find out that he hates the college experience and that you know, he just doesn't enjoy it.
Speaker 3: It doesn't want to do it.
Speaker 2: But then again, even in a world where you didn't enjoy being the man at a place like Kentucky, where basketball matters a whole lot and you're living a great lifestyle and you know, by the way, you're a really good player, therefore you are benefiting from it in every way. Like even if you did for some reason, I would never understand hate that. I mean, wouldn't you do it for the amount of money they're going to pay you?
Speaker 3: Right? Like it just makes sense.
Speaker 2: So it would either be those two things are potentially a scenario where he realized he didn't hit the portal in time and he doesn't feel like his career will be beneficial to come back for anything other than money, meaning he's not real confident that Kentucky's going to be a good team and it might hurt his draft stock. But that's not to me, that's not realistic in any way. Who knows how good they're going to be. But oteke Away should be elevating his role, right He'll be playing alongside good players him and Jalen Lowe. It's a really good backcourt for Mark Pope next year. But also, like I was thinking to myself as an outsider, you know, I watched Kentucky basketball quite a bit, but I'm not a fan, But there was all this talk about Lamon Butler and Jackson Robbinson. Now look, those guys were good players, and they were always talked about because one they were good, but also their injury situation was always up in the air. But like I'm thinking, okayeah, those guys are good and you're better with them. But like the dude that you need to worry about more than anything potentially losing, Like if he gets heard would be o take away. He was mister consistent. He was one of the best players in the SEC. And he'll probably come back to Kentucky all by you know ball accounts. That's what he's gonna do, and he'll probably be one of the best players in the country, which again last I checked, that's a pretty good thing.
Speaker 3: So I'm sure you're If you're a.
Speaker 2: Kentucky fan, you know you don't want to get your hopes up because I guess anything could happen, but I would feel i'd feel safe that you you don't have.
Speaker 3: To you have anything to worry about.
Speaker 2: But that's easy for me to say, because again, I don't have any real care if Kentucky's good or not.
Speaker 3: I real quick.
Speaker 2: On the other side, I want to take a look at the updated list, because believe it or not, you know there there are good players left in the portal, some that aren't even going through the NBA process, And I mean Louis's got an opening, LOWISLLS got money.
Speaker 3: Other schools do too.
Speaker 2: But I feel like there's the dust has kind of settled to where despite there being some big names in the portal that could really change things for a team. I guess these guys are telling the truth whenever they say they're not focused on that at all, because they're focused on doing whatever they can to take advantage of the opportunity to show what they can do in front of the NBA. But once those guys make the decision, that is likely meaning they're coming back then it's going to turn up to where there's a whole new, real wave of portal pursuing, right, like really good pieces that have made it official. They're not going pro. And I'm sure there's many schools out there. They got some money left, they got a scholarship left, they're going to be trying to get some big pieces that could change the outlook for their upcoming season.
Speaker 3: So all right, quick break again.
Speaker 2: We're out a little bit early today for some baseball actions, so we'll make the most of what we have left. It's coffee and company or feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven to.
Speaker 1: Ninety now back to coffee and Company fueled by Sortins on Sports Talk seven to ninety eight.
Speaker 2: So I'm glad that somebody takes the time to do this, because there's all kinds of different post spring, entirely too early preseason. Even I suppose rankings for college football, it really depends upon it. Well, I guess at this point, I'm sure there's still some players available. However, I did see I think it might have been Brett McMurphy who said a coach told him that when it comes to players that are in the portal, like there's no good value left, and like all these guys that are in the portal for football, you know, they're kind of still there for a reason. But anyways, there's all kinds of different rankings out there, ESPN, CBS, on three, the Athletic, you know, all kinds of different college football outlets that put together these post spring summer rankings, and the industry composite takes all those into consideration and bonds an average, and Louisville comes in at number twenty. So, I mean, we'll see if that ends up being the AP coaches Paul, whatever it may be. And we all know that it really didn't matter with the college football playoff rankings being something that comes later in the year, and also it being you know, clearly what matters, the only thing that matters. We still will pay attention to where you're ranked in the AP, and we'll certainly get excited if there's that number next to your team's name, but you know, it's really doesn't mean a whole lot of anything, but you know, it is some level of a reference point to where objectively people view your team, and you know, to know that you're heading into year three and Jeff Bram I believe as clearly kept some met him going since he arrived. And now you're preseason top twenty in the eyes of those who cover the sport. That's a good place to be and football season will be here before you know. All right, it's coffee and company. Phil about Thorton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Thanks for hanging with us. We will be out a little early today. In fact, this is going to be our last segment, so I'm trying to put a little rapid fire together here to get to as much of what I wanted to get to. I did, as you could expect, not keep up with time as best I could, and then I found out we're out early because of some weather that has impacted the schedule of these baseball games. But I've spent a lot of time discussing, you know, the news that I'm moving on after this, after the end of this month, two weeks from the day, with my last show here on Sports Talk seven nineties, I make the move to News Ready wait forty whch has to take over for Tony Cruz. So if you missed me discussing that, I don't know what you missed out on but you can always go back and check it out on the podcast. But when it comes to the college basketball players that I guess technically are still college basketball players as of right now, but like the biggest names that are are kind of, you know, on the fence about what they want to do. These are guys that, like, for example, Cal at Arkansas, He's got two guys that are technically on the fence. They have not said for sure what they're doing, but like, if they decide to come back, it would be huge for Cal in a good way. If they decide to leave, it changes everything a do Thierro at Arkansas. I mean he's actually at times been been viewed to be a potential first rounder because of the draft being weekend, because he's got a lot to like. I mean, he's a very talented guys. I shouldn't have said it as if like the draft being weak is why he'd be a first rounder, but you know, he's borderline first round currently. And also Carter Knox, who was one of the best freshmen that played last year.
Speaker 3: And again these guys they might even be.
Speaker 2: Looked at to be potential top twenty picks but still decide to come back. To college because they one would make a lot of money, and maybe they do in fact believe, hey, I'll be in a better spot next year when it comes to my development. So I think there used to be just this notionable if you've been in college this long, either you're a really late bloomer or yeah, you weren't that good, because if you were, then you'd have already been in the NBA, which, by the way, if the Aarro stays.
Speaker 3: In the draft and.
Speaker 2: Doesn't go first round, same thing with Carter Knox, that would be the first time in how long that John Caliperi did not have a first round draft pick. I mean every year he was at Kentucky he had a first round draft pick. I feel like, probably not every year at Memphis, but more often than not at Memphis, I feel like he had a first round draft pick. And a lot of that has to do with that, you know, he's not going to be able to recruit at Arkansas the same level he did at Kentucky, and I just don't think, you know, he he's not needed really in any way like he used to be believed to be needed, if that makes sense. And let me explain certain guys would go to the NBA regardless that they played at Kentucky or they played it Duke or Kansas, whatever, because they're they're that good, they're that talented. They can even be bad for you. I mean Scalabissia was a first round pick for Kentucky. I mean, they'll they'll draft you based off your potential. Certainly, so you know, he was never needed. I think as much as maybe it was, it was believed. But certainly, if you want to get to the NBA as soon as possible and you are on that radar, I mean, hell, yeah, makes sense to go play for calla Kentucky. But over time, you know, I think you realized that he wasn't as big of a factor for most of these guys getting in the league. And now you know he's I mean, maybe he does have great success down the line at at Arkansas, but I I mean he's not gonna be able to sell and bring in as much talent as he did when he was selling Kentucky. And also, even if you are the game's changed guys stick around longer, guy's turned down the NBA to stay in college. Therefore, you building a team based mostly off of eighteen year olds, even if they're all great, like, that's not maybe the best the best rest. So looking at the most updated mock draft here, this is from NBA draft dot Net, which not one of the better ones, but it's the only one I could pull up that it's not behind a paywall right now, but right now when it looks the I mean technically the Yeah, Carter Knox has viewed to be a early second round same as same as Buerrero, so I guess that streak could potentially come to an end. But anyways, other players that are I guess still making a decision. You know, we take always mentioned, but I think he's coming back Alex Condon for Florida. I don't know where he is, but obviously he's a guy that if he does come back to Florida that changes things for them in a big way. But nobody is more I think sweating out a decision than Michigan because they've got Jaxe Lindenborg to transfer from UAB who is rated as the number one player in the portal by a lot of outlets, and he's been really impressive at at the NBA Draft combine, and I mean, let me see where his stock is currently, Cause again I know how talented he is. He's a really good player. I'm not a draft analyst by any means. I just played one on the radio at times. But you know, he's currently looked to be the twenty third pick by the Pacers. That to me is like the ultimate. If that's where you believe your range is, what do you do? Cause you are older, you've played in college for a long time. You know, will you be in that same position next year when the draft is much stronger? Right?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: You may look at that in that position to say, yeah, there's a lot of money on the line here at Michigan. But if I take that money and then re enter the NBA draft next year while I still be in a position to have, you know, I mean that one would be tough if if I was that young man, especially knowing that he's played his whole career at UAB and then he's kind of starting all over with a coach that he clearly likes enough to have committed to that's Dusty May, but he's never actually he doesn't know how to be utilized. And then I guess the others that are still I mean PJ Haggerty, I guess is still out there, but it all it sounds like he's going to go to State. And then what I don't know is R. J. Luise again, the guy who was first team All American for Rick Patino at Saint John's and then he got benched in the second round and it became a story and he decided to hit the portal and he'll have a lot of suitors, but you know, I haven't heard anything about his his draft stock or any haven't heard anything about which schools may be in the mix if he does come back. And then another name, Jamiir Watkins of Florida State Louisville was linked to him at some point and I don't know if that's still the case or not. But if he does come back, he'll be a big addition for anybody, and I don't know who it'll be. But long story short, there's still gonna be some players to go get in the portal, and you know, Louisville certainly. I don't know about Kentucky, but Louisville has not only availability, but like they're going to have a real need now with James Scott gone unexpectedly, and then the eligibility of Khalifa still up in the air.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: That'll do it for us. Have a good weekend everybody.
Speaker 2: Back to start what will be I guess the you know, two more weeks after this for me on seven ninety, so I'm gonna have some fun and really enjoy it. But again, have a good weekend. Thank you all for hanging out with us. Big thanks to Radio Rick Ryder as always, and we'll talk to you on Monday.