Speaker 1: Hello everybody, ladies, gentlemen, brothers, sisters, comrades, friends. Got a bit of a special episode for you guys here, because even though I would like it if this was true, the world keeps moving, things keep changing, things keep happening no matter what my podcast schedule is. So in light of the recent assassination of political pundit Charlie Kirk and growing discussion about the rise of political violence, I thought it would be necessary to have a bit of a breakdown of what political violence is, what its deeper meaning is, and what maybe Americans, my fellow Americans, don't fully appreciate about it, and there really isn't anything good about political violence. I think that's kind of a spoiler alert for this conversation that you're about to hear. But I don't think it could have been made clearer by anybody other than two of my best pals in the podcasting world, that is Christops and Threeson's of the Eastern Border Podcast and Danielleblelly of History on Fire, both of whom have talked about this. Danielle very recently. He couldn't have timed his most recent episode of History on Fire better, but also Chris stops in a lot of his you know, coverage of the war in Ukraine and everything giving him particular insight too, political violence in a lot of ways too. So anyway, I'm showing everything that normally comes before these episodes because I want to get this out as soon as possible. I really appreciate everybody who supports the show and Patreon sub stack everywhere, so please consider going there to support this show. History Impossible dot subsec dot com and Patreon dot com slash history Impossible. If you like what's done over here. Now I'll shut up, I will get us going and please enjoy. As dark as this topic is, this conversation I had with Daniellebalelli and Kristeps and reasons.
Speaker 2: Well, let me to tell you what you would have seen and heard. I will not be pleasant listening if you're at lunch or if you have no appetite. Now is a good time to switch off the radio. An ancestor of my main change, if you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however.
Speaker 3: Improbable, evation Russian BANDI out of it.
Speaker 1: You don't the one who knows that laves by the thousand year.
Speaker 2: I wish I could say tonight that a lasting peace is inside. I don't see the laughing dream.
Speaker 3: I feel an laughing night now.
Speaker 1: I pray if we.
Speaker 2: Hear for asues to Gail, if we care were asued to kill. Some say the world.
Speaker 4: Will end in fire.
Speaker 2: Some stay Anie.
Speaker 4: From what I have tasted of desire, I hold of those of flavor fire.
Speaker 2: But if it had to perish twice, I think I know him of hate to.
Speaker 5: Say that for destruction, ice is also great and looks sufficed. This is History Impossible.
Speaker 1: With Chris Stops Andresan's and Danielle Bolelli. I had to do the accents, but I'm really happy to have both of you guys here. This is a first uh though funny enough for people listening to History Impossible. They just heard your voice, Danielle, because I just put out our episode we recorded this summer just on a lark about the typing rebellion and Protestantism and all that stuff, and that that opens up a whole you know thing that we, you know, don't have to get into now. Because I want to talk to Chris tops about Russian Christianity sometime in the near future, because that seems really like a good rabbit hole go run. Yeah, I know, I already just I just did it doing.
Speaker 4: I'm doing my PhD on that stuff because Russian order, the duxx weirdness is messed up. It nice to be here.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you both for coming. And we're obviously delving into what this past week has been in the United States. But I kind of wanted to broaden the discussion and I wanted to talk to, you know, two of my pals who Danielle is an American, but who both have a background that is decidedly not American and have perspectives that I think Americans are in sore need of right now. I just wanted to start out just to give some sort of overall context of what is going on. I have a couple of quotes I want to read to you guys, and then I'll just let you respond to those, and you know, just you know, give your perspectives on everything that's happened with particularly with the assassination of Charlie Kirk, which I believe has been I don't know, almost a week. I actually can't I don't even and yeah it's been over a week now, it's been about a week. But anyway, I want to give you get your guys immediate reactions, but also give you a couple of quotes. And the first one comes from, of all people, our friend Leon Trotsky. And I just got done reading his book Revolution Betrayed, and actually it was for school, and there was a line in it that just struck me that I just want to read out loud. Here. Individual terror is a weapon of impatient or despairing individuals, belonging most frequently to the younger generation. But as was the case in Czaras times, political murders are unmistakable symptoms of a stormy atmosphere and foretell the beginning of an open political crisis. So that's heavy, obviously, And yeah, I think we want to like put a pin in that one. And then I want to read this summary that was written by the writer Catherine Brodsky on her sub stack Random Minds that I think just really helps give us a bigger context of what's been going on. So what she wrote was the following President Trump's ear was grazed by a bullet as he narrowly escaped with his life at a rally. He was targeted again soon after. United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson was assassinated, but Luigi Mangioni arrested for his murder. A gunman killed two Embassy of Israel's staff members who were leaving a Young Diplomat reception at the Jewish Museum in Washington, DC. Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro's mansion was broken into and set on fire. Tesla vehicles have been torched, and bullets as well as molotov cocktails were aimed at the company's showrooms. Two Minnesota state lawmakers were shot in their homes. Side note, that happened the day before I went back to Minnesota this past summer, so that was interesting. Continuing in March, a fire was set to the entryway of the New Mexico Republican Party headquarters. BD Pellots and gunshots were fired at the front door and window of the Democratic National Committee office in Arizona on three separate occasions. Last fall, Anti Pelosi's husband Paul, was bludgeoned with a hammer in his home. His attacker admitted he had planned to hold the speaker hostage to quote end government corruption unquote. Individuals, including some extremist groups, stormed the US capital protest to twenty twenty presidential election results. Eric Komer, an executive at Dominion Voting Systems, was forced into hiding after his home address was published and a million dollar bounty was put on his head. And now the successful assassination of political commentator Charlie Kirk. And then what he sort of concludes is this is not just a list of isolated incidents. And I am inclined to agree with that. And she didn't even include everything that I would have included on that list, which included the was about three months of rioting in twenty twenty, which I think was political but also had to do with COVID, so it's a little more complicated. But then you had other more explicitly political events like the attempted an aborted assassination of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, and a number of other things. So I think the picture is pretty clear, especially when you think about that quote from Trotsky and what Catherine said at the end there, which is these are not isolated incidents. We're living in a time of it seems to be political violence in the United States at a level that we just have not seen, at least in my lifetime. And yeah, I mean, I actually don't even think it was in you know, your lifetime, Danielle, and you're the elderly man here. So but yeah, we we have a very serious time in this country, and I think that getting your guys' perspective is really important. But I do want to let you respond to everything I just gave you there, because that was a lot.
Speaker 4: Well for me. This whole thing comes in addition to the fact that despite all the drones arriving here, which is in my mind as well. In addition to that, today we found out that it has been like a crash drone in Latvia as well, which is just what that was eating on the train. So along all this stuff, Yeah, it's kind of fun for us over here. It's kind of scary that you guys are still our biggest ally and then our times when we need the most to rely on you. You know, this is the point where, especially here in the Baltics, we feel threatened every day and then you know, you look at the United States to be sort of to take on this role of actually you know, making things in order to as a we used to look at you as a beacon of hope in a way of stability that you guys got it made and everything. And now now when I when I read my news and it's like, oh, lookie, we're living in a dangerous deditory. And then I switch over to foty news and I'm like, again, something weird happening. Yeah, it doesn't. It's really it's really lowers at least here, it lowers the the idea of it really lowers the image of the United States in a way in the sense that over here, a lot of people here, not not just here laughing, but in Europe in general since over here. And also but the person who if something happens in the United States, I'm the one that gets all the questions because I'm weirdly enough, they know, not many people have have ways to speak with American people, and they're asking me, what's what's going on? Because people are just genuinely scared. And this is because of what's happening across, you know, on the other side of the planet. And the more this happens, the less we feel like the less we feel like this this whole global system is working because you know, EU is very good at expressing deep concern and as much as you know, as much as people might might not like it, you guys are the ones who kick in the door and get stuff done right and right now it seems that you can't really get stuff done instead of your own place. So we're looking with with a lot of distress going on. We don't like people here, don't understand the intricacies of of your internal politics and why it's happening. But everyone here at least has the sense that what I want to give you this Dutipian perspective of today, the fact that something's broken in there. Like you you you, it seems it feels like you've got you've always had at least over here. Whenever the United States have had some issues, it has always been this idea that, oh, you have institutions, you have institutions, do you know what you know was going on?
Speaker 2: Yet?
Speaker 4: You know something crazy you might happen. But on the other hand, you have these institutions, you know what, you know what you're doing. You like you're going to selve this self through the power of institutions, through the power off here democracy, all this, all this stuff, and right now that that's feeling is imrolling here and it doesn't And and to be to be honest, well that's that's what that gives me personally all as well, and a lot of people around in my idea, a lot of dreads, because you know, we've used to, we've actually used to the United States being the way that you portray yourselves as in your pr segments. So that's how I want to want to put it.
Speaker 1: I spell what And I was on your show very recently. I think we spoke only a couple of days ago as of this recording, and I use the phrase that I still stand by that when talking to you and anybody else who's not living in this country, even like Canadians at this point. But it's just embarrassing, Like that's the that's the feeling I get, is just feeling embarrassed by by this dysfunction.
Speaker 4: On the on the bride on the bright side, on the bright side can tell you the at least our politicians, especially those who really work with American people, they're they're like, we still have faith that you can make that you'll fix it somehow. We don't know how, but you'll manage we hope.
Speaker 1: I think Danielle and I are both a little more pessimistic about that. But at the same time, yeah, and Danielle, I want to get your perspective, because you have a different one, which is and I kind of wanted to throw in the whole feeling of embarrassment too, because you have the perspective of somebody who did come here and became an American, you know, so, and that's you know, that's a whole other kind of aspect, and I think that requires a level of optimism that I think people who are born here are multiple generations back Americans tend to take for granted a lot of the time. Every immigrant I've ever met is always far more positive on the American project and the American future and everything I think than people who actually live here. But I'm want to let you respond to all that too.
Speaker 2: No, I've never been I always thought it was crap. Yeah. No, He's just certain things that are fantastic about you us, But there are also things that are absolutely atrocios and always wear Right now, the atrocious ones are rising in power and intensity and all of it. I think, like, for me, it's different. It's not that I come from a sht place and I came to us and go, oh, this is fantastic. Is I come from a shit place knowing that I was trading some sit for different kinds of shit. You know, that's the trade, that's part of the deal I was. You know, Italy was atrocios for a lot of reasons.
Speaker 1: You want to get into some of those too, yeahs is Atrocio was atrocious for a lot of reasons.
Speaker 2: Now is atrocious for a lot more reasons. So I think, like my general view is never particularly rosy when it comes to politics. When it comes to other things, Yeah, absolutely, there are so many things about American culture that I've enjoyed, American music and cinema and creativity and certain attitudes that I really really like. So it's not an anti American thing by any stretcher imagination, but definitely not even close to a rosiview, particularly of the politics.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Well, and you came here, if I remember, right in the early nineties, right, that's when you immigrated, So you came actually at a pretty interesting time in that respect. That kind of gives us little context about what's going on now in terms of the rise of political violence, because I do think there's something to the idea that what we're going through right now is a little bit unique, a little bit new, But it's also not because in the early nineties. I mean nineteen ninety two. You have Ruby Ridge, then you have Waco, then you have the Oklahoma City bombing, and I actually forgot the first World Trade Center bombing. I mean, these things were I'm very intense.
Speaker 4: Well I'm studying with I'm studying for not being educated. Well, sure, but what's Ruby Ridge? I have not heard of that one. I don't know what. I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's a separate podcast, I think because it's a very complicated story involving this family that was essentially a sort of they weren't a militia, that they were a separatist family. They wanted to get out of the you know, out of the purview of the federal government and up or something up there. I am not clear. Maybe Danielle knows. I didn't expect to be talking about Ruby Ridge.
Speaker 4: Talking about like I got the general idea about what that was because I remember the standoff thing where we're at yes by sniper. Yeah, I've seen a documentary on that that just didn't nize by name.
Speaker 1: Thank you, okay, okay, Well yeah, And that's what I'm saying is that the nineties had I mean, people have been especially lately talking about the nineties in a very rosy way, and you know, yeah, there was a lot of prosperity. It was the last time that we had a budget surplus, So I guess if you want to look at it that way, that was a good time. And you know, all things considered, Clinton wasn't the worst president, but yeah, it was. There was violence.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 1: There was obviously violence in the two thousands. That was the you know era of you know jih hottest terror both you know that happened and that we thwarted and were terrified of. But you know, at the same time, you know, there was late sixties, early seventies, you know, terrorist violence by leftist groups like the Weather Underground and the Cymbinese Liberation Army. And then you go back even further, you have you know, the eighteen seventies to the nineteen hundred's with all the you know, bombings and assassinations that happened. Then I think we had am I getting this right? I think we fact, we had like two assassinations of presidents and multiple attempts during that time. And then if you really want to get heavy, we had the Civil War and everything led up to that. So political violence is kind of a normal thing in a US history, but in that like I said, it doesn't feel different. But with this particular time, with the Charlie Kirk assassination, it does feel like a lot of people believe and I can't help but feel it myself to a certain degree that a different line has been crossed. But I guess I don't want to overstate things, so I just have to ask, from your guys' perspective, to what extent do you think that or maybe even just feel that we in the United States, and maybe even in the Western world more broadly, are in a new era of political violence. Christops, you and I talked about this a fair bit, and I think for you it's obvious that you know, it's you know, things have escalated a lot, especially in your neck of the woods. But I'm trying to think about this more broadly, so I'm going to let you guys sort of ruminate on that a bit, like what to a new era?
Speaker 2: Before Christa's jump Jean just one please was in Idaho.
Speaker 1: Idaho got and.
Speaker 2: And the number of presidents assassinated was.
Speaker 1: Four four yeah in total. Yeah, well, yeah, nineteenth century was particularly bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Colin Garfield I was thinking of Garfield and McKinley, Yeah, exactly, and that and they tried with Ford to uh, at least one member of the Manson family tried to kill Ford squeaky from So yeah, a lot of assassination attempts. I mean, you really want to add that to the list. There's you know, there was people on the White House lawn during Clinton, Obama and Trump administrations. I want to say, but don't quote me on that. I might be remembering wrong. But anyway, I want to let you guys sort of get I want to get your perspective on what you think about this potentially new era of political violence or maybe an idea that it's not a new era, maybe it's just more of the same. I just want to get your guys' perspective on that.
Speaker 4: Well, I think, well, I want to just be quick about this because I want to hear Danielli's opinion more than mine, because I think he is more to say. But I feel like this isn't this isn't much so much of a new era as of people to people have just you know, remembering the good old, good old, forgotten things from the past, so to speak, in the sense that if previously, previously, we previously we had a lot of political violence all over the place in Europe, in everywhere basically, and currently what we're seeing now is just well, there there were a bunch of good times where people were not solving their problems with such political violence. But right now, you know, we've we've been through a lot of stress stressed, stressful period of events COVID and everything, and now well the memories are just coming back and people are just remembering how this is going. For example, like we also didn't have a lot of that stuff happening here but recently, because it's a diversity. If you remember the revolution of nineteen oh five that happened in Russia, well the bloodiest parts of that happened here in Latvia. And after that, for example, you got Peter the Painted in London doing shootings there, almost shot Winston Churchill. By the way. Interestingly enough, another person that was important for this fact was Edward Leitzkalnen, the guy who built Coral Castle in Florida. He was also a part of those things. He shot a baron that he emigrated there. It's just that political violence to such a scale in the United States, I feel well, it's always happened in the waves, and I think we're you know, the very cliche statement that history does not repeat itself, but it's sometimes rhymes. Well right now when in the rhymey period, I just I feel like it it's because the violence hasn't gone anywhere. It's always been there, just under the hood and just you know, brewing up and now with all the stresses happening, well the people people, you know, when people start to feel very desperate about their lives and everything, and then they see this is some sort of solution, as I presume, that's how I feel about it, certainly.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Danielle, I wanted your perspective on this too well. Also, I want to highlight that another part of your perspective that's so interesting, and you fast tracked this episode you were working on on the years of Lead in Italy, which unfortunately you could not have planned. I'm saying this in big Air quotes her better time to put out that episode. But yeah, I want to let you just sort of give your thoughts on how political violence is shaping up right now, and then maybe also talk about the years of Lead affair BIX. I want people to listen to your episode, but I want to give people an idea of what we're talking about, because, as you said, a lot of people in the US know about that. But anyway, as you.
Speaker 2: Will, I'll jump in super fast on the years of Lead, and then I'll just being on today. Years of LAD basical is a period in Italy from the late nineteen sixties up to roughly the midday, is when political violence was at insane levels. There was a period between I think sixty nine and seventy four where there were like five thousand terrorist attacks in Italy. Now, most of them were very small scale operations that didn't lead to much, but many of them were the way the terrorism began. I mean in many ways, and again i'll give you the one minute version. A lot of the problem is at the end of World War two, people think that's the end of fascism. It's not. The chairman of the Italian Communist Party commits an atrocious compromise with fascism where essentially they do an amnesty for any war or any crime committed during the war, both by partisans and fascists. This will allow the fascists not only to just go back to their own lives, but also to infiltrate the state, in the police forces, in the army, in secret services, with politicians and so on. So this leads to the FED by the late sixties. They don't like the direction where society is going. They see it going progressively more toward what they consider leftist positions. So some people start this campaign of terror, planting bombs, doing all sort of in the screminate terror activities to create a climate of fear throughout Italy with the hope that then the population in a panic will turn to some fascist strong men to take over and bring fascism back. Now that's not going to work. However, the climate of tension that they are trying to push will continue for a long time, will lead to the exact opposite reaction, which will be leftist groups start harming themselves and some of them take for arm struggle type of attitude. Now the main difference between groups like the Red Brigades and the fascist terrorists now they're all terrorists. Let's be clear. Red brigades tend to be more targeted assassination. So a politician, a judge, a journalist or whatever, not that that's good. Obviously, it's not, but it is a little different from planting a bomb in the middle of a train station killing a hundred people, you know, So that was the But regardless of Io Spini, there was a ton of violence, you know, whether targeted or not, the violence was pretty insane.
Speaker 1: Well, I think sorry to interject, I's gotta ask because I'm trying to remember your episode. But did it ever get to the point that because you're making me think of the German Revolution of nineteen nineteen, where it literally turned into I mean it was a civil war basically between two extremist groups. Did it ever get to the point of pitch street battles between the communists and the fascists in Italy?
Speaker 2: But even then wasn't even that easy, like just the community, because like the left was ten zillion different groups who liked each other as little as I like the fascists. So there was and I think is also part of the problem with our language than when we are like the left to the right, it's like, what the fuck are you talking about? There's zillions of people who radical disagreements among those groups. So the left was everything and nothing. I'm sure the right was too. In many ways, there was you know, the right was somebody with some mildly socially conservative views and it was a fascist terrorist bombing train station. Not the same thing, clearly, but they were all labeled as the right, much as the left was the Red Brigades and some students or workers protesting for slightly better conditions, you know, not the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And as we know, the you know, left and right in Italy is very different than left and right in the United States, than in Britain, than in Australia, than in Latvia, than in Russia, I mean, swords or it's just fill in the blank with everything except maybe China, because I don't think that they have any of that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the street violence was definitely, I mean, I think one of the things that I throw in my episode. I remember like when I was a child, finding motorcycle helmet and the giant ranch in the house and there I was like, hey, you guys, don't ride motorcycles, and my dad was like, hey, politics, you know, because it's like, because if you are active in politics, if you went to any kind of demonstration, you probably went with a motorcycle helmet, because either the police or the fascist will try to crack your skulls, and you had your own tolls to beat them up. That was just how it was. That was part of the deal. And then the violence, as I mentioned, it got so insane that I mean, in Milan, like close to where I live, like a bank blew up in nineteen sixty nine, killing seventeen people. In Bologna, the train station blew up the day, within twenty four hours from the time when my mom took a train from Bologna to Milan. The very next day the train station blew up, killing eighty eight people. I mean, it was just And then eventually the years of lead come to an end in the mid eighties, when everybody realized nobody's gonna get what they want. The fascists are not gonna get, the return to a fascist dictatorship, the Red Brigades are gonna go, are not gonna get a communist revolution is just everybody's tired. Nothing has been accomplished other than killing a zillion people. And oddly enough, what it leads to though, is the fact that really, I mean, of course is good when they stop killing each other, and not just each other but also random civilians. But also it's not in the sense that it coincided with a period of tremendous disillusionment and cynicism. So what I remember, like, whereas my childhood was spent with the years of Lead, right after was just arrowing everywhere. People just strang out on the street, laying on the Florida you would have to kind of crawl over to get to somebody's house. And that was and that was part of it too. So you know, that sounds a.
Speaker 1: Lot like the United States in the late seventies, and so in a sense, it's it's it's familiar, I think, I mean at least I mean I wasn't alive during that time, obviously, but I mean from everything I've read and seen, it's, you know, sounds very familiar. And and let's put I want to put a pin in that sort of like fizzle out of the years of lead, because you know, obviously want to talk. Yeah we can talk about it, but yeah, in the case of like what's going on now, I mean, again, we don't want to put too fine a point on it, but I mean I'll just ask bluntly, Danielle, how similar are things now to the years of lead or are we not quite there yet? In the United States? Would you say, I.
Speaker 2: Think we're well on our way. I think we're very much well on our way.
Speaker 4: I think depressing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, you're already listed a long string of violent incidents that have been at the meting level. I think now with the boiling level where it begins to boil. Not quite you're in pasta yet, but we're getting there. And I think I think this is very clearly where it's going. So to me, it's the fact that like after a lot of these events, you go online and like half of twee there is people cheering for civil war, not saying like actually cheering like wanting the blood of their fellow citizens. I think that's being something about where we're at a society. And I granted, most of these people are talkers, and thankfully, thankfully there are people who just cheat and don't do it. But among you know, five million people who talk that way, all you need is twenty thousand to act on it, and that.
Speaker 1: You don't even need that you need. I mean, I'll just throw in my sort of historical analog that I've been looking at for years now, which is, you know, Yugoslavia. I mean, all the Ustasia needed to assassinate King Alexander and as well as like it was allies. But also they only had about six hundred active members. You don't need that many people to cause extreme I mean Timothy McVeigh, he technically had one accomplice with I think was Terry Nichols, but he killed how many hundred people including a day care full of children? Just one guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean, or the nine to eleven hijackers what was that? Like twenty people? I don't even remember the numbers, so I maybe don't quote me on that. But there was something that I noticed in your Years of Led episode that I want to bring Christops in to talk about a little bit with First of all, I just want to point out that I was struck by how there seems to be a shared love between corrupt Italian police and Russian government thugs with tossing people out of windows.
Speaker 4: It's on a defenestration is a probably noble tradition of.
Speaker 2: But I want to.
Speaker 4: Add to this because this is no please please. This is a book that probably I asked my friend but to bring it here. This is a rush political philosopher who was who was working during in the nineties, but he wrote about He wrote a bunch of lectures, and his lecture cycle was mostly about both the nineteen eighteen and how it was formed up, about the how it how we formed up in the nineties. And this is Alexander Pittegotsky. I've quoted him many times. He's not well known. And this lecture cycle is what is political philosophy. And here he writes about how the teal Titians happens, how everything becomes politicized and then it turns political violence. From that comes to some sort of revolution or a lauious leader. He literally really describes this process. And right now this is the first time. You know, when I was reading this back then, back when I was in college, I thought, oh wow, this this reminds me. This sort of reminds me how things are going in the United States. Well, now I'm one and more convinced that death this, this this person was very right. If you if you can find some of his works in English, I would highly recommend he must be translated. He's he used to read lectures in Saint Petersburg, and he writes, he writes about the you know, he writes to the very specific tone, but post history and everything as well. He sort of mocks this idea, but he basically in this book here describes this whole process on how everything starts when as in his example, which is one of my favorites, is when even buying the correct brand of sausage becomes politics. Then even while then that is the first step on all of the when everything is politics, then of course even the most extreme things also become politics. In this case violence, This is how you normalize it. It's is the in the in this theory, which I personally agree with, you sort of you get to this violence by basically making everything political, because then if everything is political, then of course people have more radical, radical opinions. And if this radicalization goes reaches its its natural point there, then of course why then of course it just gets into violence datatudy, because what else are you going to do if if if you can get yelled at and and like like he says here buying a sausage, well here in the start he wrote in the nineties, and so it posts of it. If even that becomes political, if where you go and eat becomes political, then you feel like you're you're struggling to with even the most basic ideas. Then then violence also becomes a political norm because politics seeps into your everyday life and in your everyday struggles, especially if you're a young adult in your twenties. Well, how do you solve most of your problems, do you? Well? Young male Young males are prone to well not not. They're not very very much known for being the most most people who solve most of their issues by just talking it out, you know, and so so in a way, it's in a way I see what's happening there, and especially with what Danielli said here, which is why I asked my friend just to bring this book from from my bookshelf. The fact that yes, it's it's tragic, and it's it's you shouldn't see it as something abnormal. In fact, this is a very normal, very rational result of what's been going on in the United States politics. It's not it's it didn't PLoP out of nowhere. It is there for a reason. It was something that seems to me like you've been marching towards too, like you this this is this is just the natural end product of things. If that's because this is this is how like I'm sorry for maybe being sort of a rush here. But what else did you guys expect? I mean, this is another example that he uses here, by the way, which is which is gonna which Danielle is gonna like he compares this to the video, like to the vide early times when when Roman Republic became empire like Gragai brothers and all that stuff. That's also their violence becomes normalized.
Speaker 1: So that almost suggests that this is definitely a human thing, because that's like, you know, we're talking like, you know, over a thousand years ago this way.
Speaker 4: Yes, but also the sign, the sign the signs were, the signs are clearly there. It's just the fact that you know, people just thend to people maybe choose to ignore them and not see them for what for what these things are? You know?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean just you made me think of this.
Speaker 4: I mean that's good.
Speaker 1: Then, like, how else do you explain people getting literally filled with rage when they cast a new several snape as a black man, I mean, or how else do you explain this is my personal.
Speaker 4: Favorite I was buying as sausage becomes political.
Speaker 1: Well that's what I mean, my personal favorite moment. I jokingly call it my radicalizing moment. But what I was picking up on was what you're talking about, Christops. And it was in twenty fourteen, and I don't know if you guys remember this, because we're going on twelve years ago now, but they landed a probe on a comet. Do you remember that? And it was incredible. It was probably the biggest achievement in astronomy probably ever. And then the story was about the guy who headed the team wearing a shirt that had cartoon babes on it, like hot babes on his shirt, and that became the story. And I was thinking, and it was that people are getting mad at him for having a sexist shirt or something. Well, and what I'm saying is that, like it was one of those moments where I was like, wait a minute, what are we doing here? We just did something incredible, Like this team of people did something incredible, and all people want to talk about is the shirt the guy wore to announce the accomplishment. It just anyway, My point being is that, as you said, Chris Stops, this has been going on for a while and it's kind of the natural culmination of all that of making everything political and whatnot, there is a missing ingredient that I wanted to bring up though that I think you both can comment on, which is the role of the state in all of this, Because I talked about the corrupt Italian police throwing people out of windows. I mean, that's a part of the story of the years of lead that Danielle talks about in this show. We don't have to necessarily get into the details of that because people should go listen to the episode and it has a lot of really it has weirdness in it, but it's pretty obvious what happened. But my point is is that the role of the state plays and their efforts to put down politically violent individuals and groups especially there can be problems when targeting individuals, obviously, like getting the wrong person, but the real problems, at least as I'm seeing it, and I think we're already seeing this with this classification of Antifa as a terrorist group when they're not even a group. They're a decentralized network I guess, of people with sympathies that might not even do anything except share memes. I mean, it just it. I don't know how you would define Antifa as a group, just that.
Speaker 4: The this is this is a lot of people will anger to be. But this is one of those arguments why you we don't have the death penalty, because if the state normalizes killing, even in these cases, then killing becomes more normalized. The sort of if you have death penalty in your country, then it's more likely that you're going to have a higher number of more murders because what the state does sort of makes it more legitimate and valid. Is a sort of problem solution there. I think, I think that would be a point because this is literally one of these arguments which we recently had with with students about pro forward and against death penalty. And this is the EU's point that statistics data shows that if the government says that it's okay to kill someone, then if the government doesn't, then you know, you are more likely to have that normalized. As a little tiny thing here from.
Speaker 1: That that ties into actually I didn't even think about that angle. I mean, I you know, I will not get into the death penalty conversation because that that is a rabbit hole, especially for me because I have complicated thoughts on it. But but I think what you say is very important there because when you start targeting groups, especially groups that are poorly defined. What you're inviting is a game of guilt by association and potentially a lethal one, as you're saying, Chris stops. And then if you start doing that where people are getting killed or hurt or arrested unjustly simply because they have an association, however tangential to a group or to a person or whatever, that's just going to incentivize people to become more violent as an active self defense, especially in a country like the United States that really prides itself on self defense. Uh So, I guess I just wanted to get your guys' thoughts on that, like the role of the state basically in all this, and to what extent can the state do anything to put a lid on the violence without allowing authoritarian concept creep to kick in, which is already kicking in the United States. I'm not disputing that, but I'm just saying, I guess possible.
Speaker 4: This one's not for me, because again I don't feel like but not this. This is something that you guys helar the United States. You you do that, I'll just I'll just wait and listen because I can give you just the arguments so that I only go for it because I I won't have much time here.
Speaker 2: One thing I forgot in my rather big thing that I forgot when I was trying to summarize the years of let in one minute was the role of the state. Was the fact that the state was directly complicit with fascist terrorism. Not all of the state, of course, not every politician. But the problem is a bunch of secret services have been infiltrated by neo fascist stativist and so, and they were politicians tied to them. So there was one segment of the state more or less actively participating in the terrors in order to take over the rest of the state. So it wasn't like the state was this neutral arbiter of what was going on. And honestly, I think, and again you know, I grew up with that stuff. So for me, I've always tried to stay as clear as humanly possible from conspiracy theory thinking, because of often it becomes like a lazy excuse not to look at evidence correctly. However, especially now as I'm looking at the way things I'm developing, my conspiracy brain is kicking into high gear. And there's more or less nothing that I'm seeing in the news that I'm not going, Wait, that doesn't make sense. Who's benefiting from this, Whether we're talking about the Kirk assassination, whether we talk about the Trump shooting, whether we talk about a lot of things now, I don't know, of course I'm not I don't know that those are but there's a lot of things that don't seem to adapt. And I think think is because I grew up with this, with the fact that it was normal for the state set up false flag all the time, for the state to be involved in like the dirtiest possible things. And by the way, the state, not just the Italian state, because the CIA was very much behind a lot of what was going on in Italy at the time. So to me, I'm like, it's almost a given that what we are seeing on TV is not real, that there's something that's going on underneath the surface. Now what that is, I don't know. And also the ear is the part that gets tricky people who fall into the conspiracy theory rabbit all they start thinking everything is conspiracy. It's like, no, that's the part that's messy about it, that it's a mix of things, because you're gonna get the crazy, stupid guy who does something that's perfect for one segment of the political spectrum, and he was not planted at all, and he acted independently. And then there's the one who's actually tied. And so sometimes you can, you know, because where stupid and devil meets, it's not always easy to say what is planned evil and what is just random guy stupid.
Speaker 1: Well, it speaks a lot to something that I know you and I have at least talked about, like just privately, but in general. Something I've thought about, written about, talked about is the what we're and Kristap's actually kind of hinted at it earlier when he mentioned COVID we're living in a time of collapsing or collapse. That actually actually goes so far as to say institutional trust and and and the media has been doing itself no favors for far longer than COVID. I mean, it goes back way further than that, and that has that's a whole other conversation. The point being is that the incentive to trust institutional claims is at an all time low, clearly, and I think that when that happens, it invites conspiratorial thinking and makes conspiracy seem a little more reasonable for a lot of people. So I don't blame people for going down that path. I I do always think that there is while it's important to always ask who benefits, there is something called the qui bono fallacy. I mean, it's sometimes like when some as you said, Danielle, somebody benefits, well, benefiting is opportunistic in a lot of cases. But yeah, to that, to that point, yeah, I think that the the role of the state in cracking down or the role of the state in collaborating, that's another I didn't make that clear because as you said, Danielly, that that was a bit a major thing, and you just introduced the other aspect of foreign medaling. I didn't even want that's a whole other.
Speaker 4: Today today we also have time besides the state, because back then and sure in the early nineties, we didn't have another player here. And I'm of course all can mega corporations, which in my eyes have broken capitalism measures was intended, but I said, but I think it's completely from the state. But that's a whole different other political matter. But right now we have to look at these huge interests, the non state energies. You always think about these, you knows groups and everything which also are there, but I mean Google and what they show around also play a big role, which is how I explain a lot of things here to a bunch of people. You know, Well, recently I have I've had to explain why, you know what a lot of media we people from the Baltics in general and Eastern we get to call racists a lot. But then I have to explain, well, look, I have a grandma, like random grandma who lives in the countryside and whose only information about black people comes from comes from gangs, thrip videos in Hollywood movies. What what? What do you think her her view on life is and that that is a thing that really impacts people thinking, because you know, if they don't see this in everyday life. So how we've I I dread to sound like an old man, but yeah, you know, it's sort of sort of sort of makes sense. And I recently watched that recently spoke with with Robert you know, the man that that was on my episode with you History Impossible, and he said that he pulled he pulled out of phrase. I think he saw it online somewhere. But basically Fox News has done with the older generation, what they were, what they what they had thought the video games would do to us. Basically, yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Weird, weird attitude there, But I need to I need to throw out there I am so far. But then again, maybe I just haven't seen it, because that's part of the problem. Algorithms have now perfected what you see and don't see be based on your interests and whatnot, so I would think that this would show up. But anyway, I haven't seen any fear mongering about video games with this killer whose bullets were or casings rather were inscribed as memes related to video games.
Speaker 2: So I.
Speaker 1: Guess it's good that we're not blaming video games for violence anymore. But it seems like we're blaming things that are maybe a little bit more important.
Speaker 4: You know, you're well, you're not. But as I'm following all the Russian media sites, then they're obviously again to our subject of Russian religion. Part of the hardcore, the hardcore, hardcore, weird, ultra violent teogo Yevitch. I hope you watched that thing until the end. That's the sketty one.
Speaker 1: I'm working on it. It is a slog.
Speaker 4: It's a very difficult thing. To watch how that I come on, everyone does have the thing on my stream there. But they also of course instantly, they instantly blame that the genderacy of the West, but for everything, and it's not just video games. I mean they will currently you're in Russian propaganda channels. All of this is blamed to the to the foul decadents of the West. But instead of instead of actual fascism and to tell Tanism, they of course blame guess who, the lgbt Q World Organization.
Speaker 1: Blaming the Jews.
Speaker 4: That's a classics right right right now, right now kind of Jews, Jews are not polite and polite decide you can't do that anymore. So now it's sort of over there. It's just that people will blame anyone and everyone to know, with zero actual with zero actual idea what's going on. It's just the fact is that this is the point where I believe people need to stop figuring out, you know, you stop you need to stop worrying about whom to blame and start worrying about how to solve the problem instead of blaming. You know, there is no one simple This is not a simple problem. But not there is no simple solutions. Simple solutions is what brings kind of amatic leaders to power, and then you know this stuff happens.
Speaker 1: The authoritarian concept creep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's where I think we are not in a good place when it comes to solutions, because I think there are a couple of things that you guys have brought up that and then I'll get to the why we are in a bad place when it comes to solutions. Now, one thing earlier, when we're talking about anything from the Gray Brothers forward, Yeah, there is a human universal aspect which is when as society is consistently they're refusing to find solutions because they go against the power structure and people who hold the reins of power, or because the solutions are massy. I mean, right now, it's no wonder that people are desperate. We're facing so many different crises and no one has a foggust idea of how to deal with it, from environmental issues to ais going to change radically our entire life and economy, to you know, you can go down the lead and there are probably thirty issues that are insedly difficult. So it's so much easier to just find escapegoat and rather than thinking the life sucks because we can figure out how to deal with major challenges. It's all because of the dirty communist or the gay or the Conservatives or something. If only those guys were in tears, we could have a great life. And it's like, yeah, that's just scapegoating one oh one because you are feel powerless, you don't know what the hell to do about it. Your life is falling into pieces. So I mean the fact that, like right now, the rate of Americans who don't have a single friend has grown fivefold in the span of like not even twenty years. Wait what, yeah, this is a yeah twenty years. There was a statistic that said about three percent of American men reported having zero friends in twenty twenty one, so it's already a few years back, and the percentages hi are now. In twenty twenty one, it was fifteen percent having zero friends. Now those are the people who say they have zero friends, not even the ones who say, oh, I have one or two friends, but we hardly ever see each other, which is a Loneliness is an epidemic right now in the Western world, especially US, and it's just so of course, half of the country's one product and of people have issues because we deal with a society that's falling two pieces at the most basic level, at the people being alone with a screen all day kind of level, and those are things that there are no easy quick just do this type of solution, because it's our whole society has been built to lead into this place.
Speaker 4: Is this is this is really scary because again I've seen so I've seen on social media so many posts about oh, look he voted for Trump or something. Now now now I'm getting divorced or something. In such a situation, maybe throw Throwing people out of your lives because you differ on some aspect is not the wisest thing to do, at least in my love opinion.
Speaker 1: I wanted to put that out there too because of what you guys were saying, because there was a big epidemic of that starting well before COVID. COVID accelerated what Danielle was describing, we already I think the loneliest epidemic was being talked about a good six, seven, eight years ago. People were starting to talk about it then, but a lot of that sort of like artificial ejection of friends and family. I always thought that, like, well, if it's family there's probably other dynamics going on, and that's why you're cutting family off, and that you just found an excuse. That's usually what happens. But when it comes to friends splitting apart because of political differences, I just don't I don't buy that as like a reasonable reason to not talk to people, obviously up until a point, because if you have a friend who's a Holocaust denier, that's really all they're going to be talking about, and that's not fun to be around. If you have a friend who's a flat earther, that's I mean, that's really what it is. Is that if if the friend becomes a conspiracy theorist, that usually is the reason why you don't want to hang out with them, is because they don't have much else to talk about. But but yeah, like that, that that element of self isolation, I think is that is a major contributor to this loneliness as well as obviously, uh you know, technological aspects of it. I mean, I don't know if numbers have changed over the years, but online dating always struck me as a very strange thing. And now granted I'm biased because I you know, my partner of almost sixteen years and I met in real life. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't have used online dating had I been single a couple of years later when it really started to take off. But it just it strikes me as like very odd when you put like, what when you digitize romance or digitize friendship?
Speaker 2: Well, but that's that's a seem not a cause, right right right, it's francially because nobody meets one another. You know, he's like, you don't. There are no group of friends that you meet their friends and you get to meet some people. It's like you wake up, you go to work, there are twenty q because half of them are all half of there's probably one person your age. You don't click with them. You don't meet anyone else. You come back, you go to you watch TV. You know people don't meet.
Speaker 4: One Okay, there's another thing. There's a thing I'd like to add there because I would like to respect because I something just clicked into my head here a lot in a lot of cases, I've seeing people from the United States blaming us in Europe for the fact that we're too lazy, that we don't work hard enough. Yeah we have vacations, Yeah we take that stuff that people make people have memes about, you know, Oh no, those French people, they're just you know, as an example that are used often that they just won't work in August and they won't pick up your calls after six pm. You know what, that's that's actually a good thing. That's a very that is how you should be get. That's the time which you literally dedicate to spell with your friends and family, which is well, as we can all see, extremely actually important because oh well I actually didn't know about this slowliness, but I thought it was like something happening related to Q one on and insults of that stuff. But I mean, it is, it is, but it's just like it It made me feel very kind of kind of scared in this sense. But you know, it sounds it sounds silly. But but again, another number that is often thrown is about the level of life in general. And you again, I can't speak about all of it, but yeah, we make less and salary, but then again we have like reasonable health care. We we spend we also have to spend less and then we you know, we really really value the time that we spend with our families and having hobbies important and people you know, all over like my my area, there's a hunting club, there's a there's a fishing club. People like in my little village. There's even the line dancing club opening up soon. I don't know why, but people really seem to enjoy this stuff. And I was gonna say it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Matter why it brings people together.
Speaker 4: I mean, you have something you can't work all the time. Yeah, you're sure, you make all You make way more money than we do over here, a lot more money. And I'm not even denying that. But but but but but but but but for what reason?
Speaker 1: What the And I was gonna say this this really like make something like click in my mind because I'm thinking about the countries that seem to be suffering the most from this kind of epidemic. United States obviously, but other countries that are known at least or believed to be very hard working and don't really take vacations. Japan comes to mind almost immediately. I've heard South Korea as having problems, but I don't really know anything about their culture.
Speaker 4: This is this is this is this is also this is also taking a good thing to round extreme again. Look at Rashia, which is my expertise there. They have an interpretation for toughness but enduring things. Well, put in this playing all that I mean you you will just endure through you and we will adore everything. You don't have a plumbing in your house.
Speaker 5: Endure.
Speaker 4: That's what threeal Russians do. This is to them, that's this toughness. Take into this extreme is what it becomes unhealthy. Well, maybe work ethic can take can be also taken to an unhealthy degree. Just seems this steadiotype exaggerated in the sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there there's I'm sorry, Danielle, you had some other stuff you wanted to touch on, but we just are transitioning so perfectly into something I wanted to talk about related to loneliness, because what that is in concert with is a crisis of meaning. I think I'm not here to say people should be going to church. I mean, I'm an atheist, but at the same time, people should probably be going to church in a lot of cases. But and I mean that more proverbially in the sense that I think people need to find more things to connect with to to really give them meaning. Because I think the deepest problem with political violence in the United States, at least lately actually has more to do with nihilism than with any political valence. Like, yes, this guy who, Tyler Robinson, I shouldn't I don't want to say his name, but I don't want to be vague. Tyler Robinson. He is from all the pieces of evidence out there, codes left, quote unquote as far as political valence goes, but I don't think that really matters. We as far as I know, we don't even know political valence with the guy who tried to take a shot at Trump. And there's obviously left and right motivations that go on with some of these acts of violence that have been going on over the years, but that doesn't really matter as much as I think a lack of meaning. And there's a quote that I want to read to you guys, and then it's the last quote I'll read, I swear. And I actually shared this on Facebook, so you guys might have seen it, but it's from who I like to jokingly call my favorite Marxist. Freddy Debor wrote about this in a really really powerful essay talking about political violence right now, But it just really struck me, and I want to get your guys' thoughts on this more broadly, but here's what he wrote. This is in fact my overarching argument that where we are trained to see public violence as the outcome of ideology, those anarchist assassinations nine to eleven Oklahoma City andras Brevik Yukio Mishima in the twenty first century, a certain potent strain of political violence is not the put of ideology, but rather an attempt to will ideology into being through violence itself, to create meaning in a culture steeped and digital meaninglessness by the most destructive means available. The twenty first century school shooter, for example, does not murder children in an effort to pursue some teleological purpose. The twenty first century school shooter exists in a state of deep purposelessness, and at some level and to some degree, seeks to will meaning into being through their actions. This is part of why so many of them engage in acts of abstruse symbolism to wrap their politically incoherent violence in layers of iconography. They are engaged in cargo cult meaning making, the pursuit of a pseudo religion. The tail wags the dog. Acts we have grown to see as expressions of meaning are in fact childish attempts to will meaning into being through violence. So yeah, I think that that says it all, and I am inclined to agree with that being really the core motivation for what does I think we seem to agree that there is a rise in political violence right now. It's kind of hard to disagree about it. But I think that that is like the core motive that we're dealing with here, and maybe that's always been the core motive of political violence, but I don't get that sense necessarily. I think that a lot of the time there's an objective, it usually does have like ideological valence that's very deliberate, especially when it's something you know that leads to a revolution. But in this particular case, it doesn't feel like revolutionary violence is taking place right now. It feels like nihilistic violence, destructive violence. So I'll let you guys respond to all that. It ties into what we've been talking about, so I'll just let us go here.
Speaker 4: Oh, this reminds me. I'm reading a book series now by at Albert Backer, and there's there's a big, big sense of logos that he speaks about, meaning a lot of there, and one of the taglines is what comes after it determines what comes before sort of plugged into my head. And the problem is the book theater is just called The Second Apocalypse, so you know where that is going. Highly that I commended that that is basically a fantasy book series about what would happen if Catholic Church would be objectively true, like objectively true in every aspect except you know, in case Catholicism is a very much polly like a polytheistic thing. But if you do magic once you are determined to go. It's a long study, very good book, but very depressing. The stuff that I like here, but in general all this is well the meaning stuff. Yeah, I mean, do you guys know I was very lucky and I got like for super super cheap, me and my wife. We just got a house next to the Russian border, twenty twenty kilometers from Russian border twenty two kilometers. It's a very good deal like then, And a lot of people here like they don't they don't really understand why do I want to move to this middle of nowhere extreme Deeplathyan countryside right but there, you know, I start every morning by just taking a round the walking around my house and checking on all the animals. I have a bunch of a bunch of like I have wizards and deer and and all sorts of these little creatures. They leave their things and there over there. It doesn't feel like civilization has pushed out all the animals over there. It feels like my house like has wooden walls, and right now the sap is coming out of them because they're like very fresh, So it feels like the house is alive. And those little things give me, give me the meaning thing. And I thought, you know, people were looking at me as if, as if as I was a weirdo. But I understand that, you know, that gives me peace, and that gives me some meaning. I have to have a house to take care of. And when you look at this house, well for me it's a physical house now, but for everyone we have to have this mental house in order as well. That's what philosophy does. It's it's an introspection little thing. It's not about you being angry at someone. It's about getting your own headspace and order. And in a lot of cases, for example, I hear I would have to blame people like Andrew Tage and other people who claim that they're giving this meaning to new people, and they dare to use the philosophy that I like a lot of Stoicism and the proper Sooicism of Seneca and Marcus Aurelius and Epictetus and the real one. And then they sort of give these easy answers and they give this stuff like this search for a meeting has been corrupted in a way. They are a lot of people are being told to search for a meeting in the wrong ways. And when someone like me, for example, when I did this thing with the house in the middle of nowhere, but this was a really good price though, but it's fought away. You know, people were confused about why would I do this. I'm far away from all the civilization everything. But that is this is this is this societal what's become the norm. Here is the fact that you must round this rat race. You must like that really said, sit in this cubicle. You must have no friends, you will owe nothing and love it right. That is stupid, and and again give away your friends stuff. This search for meeting is very mentioned, a very deep thing, and I feel like people in their flanning is like my friend Robert here he also spoke about this, that the younger generation have much larger issues with this than we do, and that we should. I don't know. This is why we're again, we're doing a YouTube channel with Robert to maybe inject some actual meaning into these into twenty year old to twenty year olds because I don't feel as I don't feel as old to be completely separate from this. But the search for meaning, you know, when when you leave I understood, I understood with this. How is the fact that you won't be able to find any meaning in the things that you can buy from what the corporations can give you. You have to find meaning yourself. And that's a lot of work that's not fast food, that's cooking your meal on your own, that takes effort, and we don't like effort these days. This is this is it's really it really means, you know, it's doing hard work, but when no one pays you and you can't take a vacation either. It's a process, not something that you're given And I feel like all these and I mentioned mega corporations, the whole impact that mega corporations and this, this this over the top consumers culture has given us is the fact that right now we see this, we have learned to see this as some sort of a failure in life if you don't do this rat race. But I think I think we would have to admit that maybe we've gone wrong somewhere and maybe, you know, maybe taking a longer vacation, spending your time and you know, touching the grass is something that really needs to be done. And this it was very cliche. This sounds very stupid, except if I wouldn't be going through my own stress with this exact method, that wouldn't help. Hey, I wouldn't be here talking to you guys because I was really stressed out from all of my work and that's related to the war that had gotten into my own headspace. And now I'm being organized and I have other problems to think about, very real, actual problems. What was this, hi? They goes? Does right? Do you have to touch into the reality?
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: The one thing that I think is really interesting too when you bring up the people like Andrew Tape, and I would expand that to maybe I'm being unfair, but most self help gurus on the internet is that they're not offering you anything. They're parasites. I think people need to realize that that self help a lot of the time is parasitic, especially when it's people who are like offering you courses in that respect of finding meaning. Whether it's through and Andrew Tates case pimping, I guess, I don't know, but even people who might have taken what started out as a good idea and then kind of turned it into something else, like Jordan Peterson. I mean, I'm not trying to cast shade on him necessarily, because I do know that his books, at least his first book, has helped a lot of people. But I'm just making the point that I think when you run a business, especially via the Internet, which is all about capturing attention, what you're actually doing is acting as a parasite. Oh one thing though, when that sucks a way that that doesn't provide meaning, it just makes things worse.
Speaker 4: It is a thing that I would like to say that really helped me out when my father died and when this whole war started. It might sound silly, It might sound silly what I have to say, thanks to Danielli, because Drunken Talist podcast is actually good stuff that you should be listening to.
Speaker 1: Yes it is.
Speaker 4: I'm not even joking about the stuff pick and this is this was something that really helped my headspace. So I'm not I'm advertising to nearly show. But if you if you look for truth, truth through sense, Drunken Tais gives you the headspace that you really need. Not joking here, and he doesn't sell you courses. That's important.
Speaker 2: And I think beside the you know you, guys point out to the scammers in the self help board, and there's plenty of those, and I think related to our discussion, possibly even worse are the scammers in the political world. And I think that's the difference from the past, And this is the difference why it's harder to get out of this right now, because the thing that there have been tremendously difficult problems to solve when people decided to solve them by scapegoating instead of addressing these impossible problems has always been around whether there is one side or the other, or the witchess or whatever, there was always something that you could blame it on to avoid looking at the actual issues. I think the problem that we have right now is the fact that before as much as traditional media was terrible for a variety of reasons. At least there were some minimum standards that you are supposed to keep. And yeah you are shady, and yeah you push propagan and yeah or whatever, but you have to at least keep up appearances. Now where anybody can build a following online by just becoming a political pundit, and if you play the algorithms correctly, you can get a humongous following. Now the problem is that where is the audience sculpture? Audience sculpture Unfortunately, as we understand, the way the algorithms are set up are built or anger, outrage, and just in general like fanning the flames of the political So the idea that people now hate each other online and they are there cheering for civil war is not strange. Is as crystal to put it, what did you expect? It's like a direct consequence of what it was very clearly where it was going to go. Now it is where the problems come. See, And that's, by the way, where I think the cur assassination is a tricky one in the sense that what happens now is that so far that process has largely been all benefit and no problem for the people engaging in it. You know, be as controversial as you could possibly be, because you'll get a ton of audience, you will make a ton of money. Great, now we realize that there are bad consequences in the sense that there are people who will flip out because they don't like some controversial message they are pushing and will because society is collapsing around them. Mental health is in the toilet, and every single decide to blow your brains out. So that's gonna you know, there's still a high incentive to push controversy and outrage and fan in the flames. But now I think it's the first time that we go like, oh damn, there may be a price to pay that in the hands of some insane person there. People will not just talk sheet online. People will actually act on it, which is the same thing why people now are cheating for civil war and all of that.
Speaker 1: And that that brings up a difficulty for me too, because it reminds me of exactly what happened after Salmon Rushdi released the Satanic Verses in nineteen eighty eight, because that was what a lot of people who I think were very afraid in publishing, and I understand why his translators were killed, you know, and attacked, So I get it, though at the same time there were there were people who were very insincerely or maybe sincerely saying, well, what did you expect? You offended Islam, which is kind of its offensive in its own way too, because that pretends that everybody who's a Muslim feels the same way about the Satanic verses, and that allowed uh, you know, Iyotota Kamane to dictate terms in that sense, which included putting out an international hit on salmon Rushdi and and I think that that sort of gets into something you and I have talked about, Danielle, where it's like we're kind of trapped because like, we don't want to tell people not to say what they want to say, however controversial, publicly, because that's their right and they should exercise it in any seating of ground on that especially right now given how there is a crackdown being pushed by the state. Is essentially giving into that. But at the same time, you're not wrong that it is clear that you're then incentivizing or adding to the incentive for someone crazy who has no meaning in their life and as we know, and who's lonely, and as we know that's a very big problem, as we've said, to take action. So it's a sort of paradox that we're stuck in, at least in the United States, because of how much value we place on free expression. So do you see that the challenge we thought we talked about a little bit. I want to let you.
Speaker 2: It's worse now because Rashley was a guy who published a book making fun of like some here is that twenty four to seven news cycle where it's five zillion tweets a day, five zillion YouTube video, five zillion where it never ends. So the problem is that whereas before, you know, maybe you are mad when you read the newspaper, but then you put it away and you have the rest of your life. Now, as people are online constantly, they are like, I'll start after the cirk saying I would start a day totally fine, and I open social media and I'm in a shitty mood an hour later. And this is because we are bombarded with people who are merchants or outrage, who are merchants of hate, who make their money spreading hate and fan in the flames. And we do that, not an article here and there. They do that twenty four to seven. It's a constant thing.
Speaker 4: Is this is why, by the way, I take my journalism very seriously and I get very angry when someone calls me an influencer. I despise being called an influencer. It's just it's something that I feel disgusted about because I take my fashion very seriously. I respected and I tried to and I have to agree with DANIELI about this, about the fact that I'm a member of a Livian journalists association and a lot of people, you know, I spoke about this with some people who comment on this ongoing Ukraine war online and I thought they also were into this whole journalism stuff, and I started talking about them about sources and everything, and I'm like, okay, we have an ethics code and we have like this and this and this which you have to do. And then they were just uninformed about like the basic standards of what you have to do and everything, and a lot of these cases there. Of course they are bad journalists and not saying like a lot of bad people out there. However, when when I understood that, these guys stopped communicating with me after I just said that, Okay, so you want to interview me with this stuff. Okay, I have no magratitation. I need to check you through this. The heat is op sex stuff. And they had no idea that this even existed, and they are just like super popular out there. This there's a reason why this thing, when they can seriously done properly, is important, which is why you know, I became journalist because I read Hunter S. Thompson and that's that's that's how I do this. And you know I lately I've I've taken to to the fact that, yeah, I call him, that's only called my I deserve. I've earned to call myself Gonzo, to be honest, and I take pride in this, which is why the nearly these point is very accurate. We you, we might not like this, but the fact that the fact that you have an editor out there that balances out your thoughts and that you're not just you know what, first thing that pops into your head. You just can't publish it instantly, that you have to go that it has to go through some some sort of some aspect of being like, okay, we can't publish this for this and this reason. This also moderates the discussion levels because social media really blew this all up. Social media made this whole thing more. You know, everyone can. This is how fake news were born. And social media really allowed everyone with their craziest that is, to be plopped out, gain audience, and and no one fact checks them, like no one, No one does. Fact checking does not matter because you know it's out there and even if if, even if something gets blocked or or or something GE's you know, pushed out as oh, oh this was fake news. Yeah, it's gone already. It's already gone. It's out there, and no one cares.
Speaker 1: The problem that you are highlighting that both of you were highlighting. I actually really liked how you put it, Danielle, where you said, back in the day, you pick up a newspaper, you read an op ed and you're just like, what the hell is this? If you wanted to express that outrage that you're feeling, you had to sit down and write a letter by hand, maybe with a typewriter or a computer. You had to print it out, you had to fold it up, put it in an envelope, send it to the you like, find out what the address is the paper, send it there. I mean, so many little things like that, essentially got in the way of people sort of fanning the flames. As you said, Now all they have to do is just they're reading it on their phone anyway, and then just click the share button and then say what they want to say or whatever. And in that sense, these merchants of outrage, as you put at Danielle, they are like they're essentially outsourcing that part of their work to the reading public. And we're seeing that. We were seeing that right after the Charlie Kirk assassination of both people being gleeful about it and then sharing some terrible article in the Nation saying that he had it coming. And then you had people saying this is the worst thing ever. If you're gleeful about it, I hope you get canceled, and sharing all the statements made by members of the Trump administration essentially threatening the same thing, or Republicans threatening the same thing, like Clay Higgins. So it just these people, but by essentially outsourcing that to the public using social media, they're able to abdicate responsibility for turning up the temperature. And that's the problem.
Speaker 2: And that's what I find disgusting about these people, is that there's very much a case of throwing the rock and hiding the hand. Because they make their money, they build fortunes, They build empires on hatred, on the demon izing either another side of politically or or a group whatever that may be, whatever their group of choice may be. That is the bad guys. They spend twenty four to seven arguing now they are the ultimate evil, and then when one of the deranged follower will plant a bomb or shoot somebody or something, they'll go like me, I never advocated violence. It's like, you piece of shit. You did everything other than saying go shooting. You know, this is what people do constantly. And in that sense, there's yeah, look at the people doing that, look at the people like the and they are perfect because like the response right now to the correct thing has been exactly that has been, like, we need to destroy anyone who's not a full blown fascist and doesn't believe that we should hand the homeless for sport. It's clearly an evil gay communists to need to be murdered. And I'm just like, this is obviously the result of these merch and of outrage, having planted, having been rewarded for years with tons of money and attention by planting seeds of hatred so that you can't have a fucking conversation anymore with somebody without it evolving immediately and we need to shoot you. And that's the reason why Dan Carlyn is not doing common sense, whereas there's every other asshole with a political platform is pushing the most extreme scapegoat impossible because that's what the algorithms reward. The problem is, Okay, let's talk solution. What is the solution that? Never mind that you would actually need a good government to do that, and that's clearly not the case. But if you add a good government, what do you do. You have a government that mandates that social media platform have to change their algorithms to encourage puppies and flowers and touching the grass and stuff. I mean, that's clearly not good in a sense in the government. But the current state that we have now where the where the default answer is pushing hatred and what's going to lead to increasing level of violence, Well that's not a solution neither, clearly. So I'm not saying the government need to mandate the way algorithms work, but I'm also saying the current system is not bad. It's so beyond the bed that I'm willing to listen to pretty much any alternative At this point.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure how much of it help, but I'm just spitballing here if I mean, because I don't, I don't. It clearly doesn't seem to matter. Anonymity is, specifically, is what I'm thinking of. It doesn't seem to matter. People are openly saying things with their names attached to what they're saying. But I'm wondering if maybe like requiring users to not have user names, maybe making it or like you have a username, but then underneath it it says what your actual name is, maybe we should just maybe everybody should be if like you, if you want to use X, or if you want to use Facebook, or if you want to use whatever, you have to doc yourself essentially, so you have to take responsibility for what you say. I don't think that's a good solution for.
Speaker 4: Multiple That's that's what they're do in Britain where they now they've taken the age of edification to an absurd level, where like and they've taken for Spotify even and.
Speaker 1: They've been taking censorship to we're not even censorship but just punishing speech to an extreme level. So I don't think we want to go down that road if we want to remain American. I mean, that's that's how I look at it. Yeah, I don't know, I I you know, like I said, it's spitballing. I can't think of a disincentive for that kind of thing. And again, it's also really complicated because if we try to rely on the state to do that, it does kind of fly in the face of our laws that we have. We'd have to do a major rethinking of our our essentially our our First Amendment, which I don't think is a good idea. It just I mean, and I'm biased, obviously, but I just I also think it's a bad idea because it also doesn't really match up with the reality of people making decisions to commit violent acts. The people who commit violence are never pushed to I mean that the research is pretty clear that people decide to be violent and then find justifications for that violence after the fact or in the in the act of doing it. But they were going to commit violence no matter what.
Speaker 2: I don't think somebody is just born like I want to go shoot somebody today. I think, sure, But there's a context in which they leave, right, they talk to the set, they read. It all goes to influence people one way.
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean, Danielle, don't you like have a list of like what do I need to do today?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I need to buy milk? Can you to fix my car?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: That massive shooting? Yeah, I forgot almost forgot about that one.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: The biggest predictor of violent behavior, I mean, and I don't think that this data has changed in the fifteen years since I first looked at it, But the biggest predictor of violent behavior is exposure to violence, like actual violence, not video game violence or media violence or rhetoric. It's it's it's real world violence. And that's the thing that's actually kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I just thought of that as I was saying it is that the footage of Charlie Kirk being killed, or of George Floyd being killed, or that Ukrainian woman being killed. Okay, that's not that's not media.
Speaker 4: That's actually he is what I would like to say to you, because I would like to agree to you because out of all of you guys' studying, but I have been exposed to the most amounts of ship, brutal violence here, no no, no, and this is and I can I can tell you that this is this people really need I go to therapist. I like when we spoke there, I had I had my own my own trauma things and they pop up randomly and in the ways that you don't even understand. Because when you speak to the soldiers with even motivation in Ukraine, and when they start talking about their horrific events, and when they start talking about random deaths as if it was Tuesday with complete detachment, Yeah, I can, I can see how if you're not like this is this is why they're really pushing, pushing out there for for these people in Ukraine, ternsically go and get some help because it is necessary. Otherwise it is going to be horrible. Simply horrible. Violence leaves a arc on you, and especially real life violence, because a lot of people don't even understand what does it even mean? It is something horrible that you see and that at the moment in time it seems like something normal. But you know, I'm sad to say, but I will never forget how a burnt body smells like it is always stuck in my head and I'm just it's just something I have to deal with, and and those things are those things that people again, which is why I do my own episodes so sometimes in a very raw matter, very brutally, because when people go into this very violent aspect people, when people treat violence like it's something that can be joked about, right, when they treat its threats like it's something just just normal, that sort of normalization. Really, if you're not prepared for what you're about to see, which you are about to experience, then this really opens up the floodgate because in a lot of cases, I've also seen a bunch of bunch of media people who then you know, who have thought that, oh, well, I'm just going to go into this and do war journalism is going to be fun, you know, excitement and adventure, and then they see through hotro and then then then it's it stops being funny and entertaining really really quickly. Real violence is not entertaining. Real violence is not fun. Real violence is something that that I don't wish anyone to experience. Real love close it is it is, it is, this is this is the point where a lot of people, you know, only people who haven't seen real war and stuff. They only they can glorify it. It is impossible to justify it anywhere or form, And and it is just something that once you, once you if once you get stuck into this, understand how disgusting that that stuff is and and that that is a really I'm sunny that I'm speaking about this, but once you say about this exposure to violence, it's not just it's not just exposure. It just the fact that they think it's cool. And then they see the sanitized parts of this, when when war gets turned into lines on maps instead of the greedy parts. When you when you think it's cool, then then yeah, it's credible. Okay, I'm sorry for yapping gone.
Speaker 1: About no no, no, no, no, no it's okay, No, that was valuable. No no, it's valuable. It's don't don't apologize it. It's just it made me think though, like because I was trying to say, like I I was trying to piece out, like uh a piece together this like sort of difference between real footage, unfiltered footage of extreme real violence versus people consuming violent media or violent rhetoric. And you know, just based on what I have learned about exposure to violence, uh. Through research out there is that I think maybe watching unfiltered footage of violence is it's probably not it's it's definitely not the same as being next to it, but it's definitely much more extreme than you know, watching uh, you know, like a discussion about it, or people talking about it, or or or even a censored version of it. And dare I say it. I don't want to put too fine a point on and Danielle, your point is still very well taken about people ratcheting up the temperature. But I think the footage of Charlie Kirk and his throat blown out from twelve different angles, and not to mention the thousands of people who were actually there seeing it.
Speaker 4: I am not watching that footage. I haven't seen it because because because I hate when that shits. Real violencehould be deported on and shown even but not made a spectacle out of right.
Speaker 1: And that's what I'm saying is and that becomes more of a risk when everybody has a camera in their pockets. So what I'm saying is the exposure to that action, the actual killing of him, was far more damaging than anything he ever said, and far more damaging than anyone gleefully celebrating it, never said, and far more damaging than even people cheering on Civil War ever said. That's I think the real damage.
Speaker 4: The real people cheating on civil war disgusted me utterly because they don't know what war.
Speaker 1: Actually And that's actually sort of what I wanted to also let Danielle go off on that, because we've talked about that so many times and it's just gotten worse over the years. But I'm gonna let you both go off on that because that's sort of the thing that I think is really frustrating to me too. And it's only because I've been fortunate enough to get to know you guys, but also read history. But so whenever I hear somebody with a non American accent say Americans just don't get it, it's gotten me feeling really warm inside, you know, like people just don't get it when it comes to cheering on Civil War. They don't know what they're asking to happen. They're not they don't know what they're begging to happen, it seems, so I guess that's what I want to let you guys, you know, get into, is like, like, what would you tell Americans cheering this stuff on, Like what do they not understand?
Speaker 4: I'll just really quick. My wife is just busting me. My licee is really really simple. Like I have an episode which is a material from Russia, from a Russian opposition, like actual media sides. Who guys who just went to all the hospitals where Russian people who came home from the war are being you know, is a kind of word that are waiting line for their prosthetics for six months and yeah, that sort of stuff. I have an episode on that. That's one of my hardest ones. If you go listen to that, it's very rough and brutal. But sorry for self promotion, but that's check their attitudes. Just a bunch of direct quotes. That's all. I'm sorry for just interrupting here. Just I have to really answer to my wife here. But it's a heavy subject and I have episodes on this. Give them a listen, and then if you want to civil war, well then then then you probably go go get some help.
Speaker 2: There's one thing that I want to touch on right before we jump into the civil war cheating part, which is regarding what you were saying, you know, when you said I don't think the data is different from when I look fifteen years ago. I think it is. It is why because when you looking and I understand where you're coming from, and diagree, because you are coming from the idea of when they wear the campaigns against the video games, because where censorship was the answer to some social changes that some stuck up person didn't like, and so they were yelling at video games, they were yelling at music or yelling at and it's like Jesus man, it's like that was censorship against the basic artistic expression and things like that terrible. So I understand why you would have a very sensitive spot to it. I think the difference now, though, is that fifteen years ago social media was in infancy. It was barely a thing. What I'm talking about is not just the video game or the music or the thing. I'm talking primarily about the impact of social media and the social media influencers in politics. And when it's not the song you put on, it's not even a game you play around there. But when you are talking about something that's twenty four to seven is what people spend most of their days looking at, I think the impact is very different. And so I see whereas saying, you know, words don't cause violence in the abstract, I could agree when we're talking about yeah, maybe you know odds it makes me do it kind of thing. Was sort of ridiculous. But when you start looking at you listen to somebody for four hours a day and this person tells you that this group of people are the devil, and every problem you've ever read is because of those people. Of course it's gonna lead to violence. It's like, it's not even if it's like it's a guarantee.
Speaker 1: So there is the probability I suppose you could. You could make that argument.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not that everybody's gonna engage in it, but if you have an audience of a million people, yeah, there is gonna be the guy who's for as you put it, it's already inclined for a variety of reason. But there will seize that message and run with it. It's it's pretty much a given. So I think that's the only way I would tweak. And I don't have a solution for it, because as we said, it's not that I say oh thanks, or social media. I don't know what the solution is. But the problem that there is a connection between violent rhetoric. I mean, you don't end up, you don't create the Holocaust without years of anti Jewish propaganda before, it just doesn't happen.
Speaker 4: There's a saying like that. So the only there's the saying here that you know, people blame Stalin for purges and for massive crimes, but who wrote the fifty three thousand donos to those reports?
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, And that's where me there's a connection there between propaganda and violence.
Speaker 1: And that's true too, especially with like how people perhaps respond. And this actually would be really interesting to study. I would love to see some more data on it, on existential language, because that's what you're talking about, the idea of you know, like, well, it's funny, we were kind of joking about this, but like people were starting to use increasingly existential language to talk about cultural things, whether it was you know, casting a black man as Snape in the Harry Potter series or getting worked up about a shirt having hot babes on it. At the end of the day, what is going on with that with making everything political, as people say colloquially, is you're really creating existential suggestions in people's mind that something is deeply wrong. Not just maybe kind of annoying or offensive to very particular people. There's something much more serious about that, and that has to do with like grabbing attention and so on and so forth. They don't have to get into like why existential language was getting used. It's I think it's almost certainly about attention grabbing. But yeah, maybe the use of existential language and framing, framing, that's the word I was looking for. Maybe that has a cost to the human psyche that we just don't really appreciate that I don't appreciate I could be off on that if if I was to criticize my own position on things, it's that I don't know if there is a cost to using existential language and framing on things in speech sincerely and in a way that is compelling to other people. I don't know how one could possibly legislate their way out of that. I don't think. I mean, as you said, Danielle, we're and you know, as I was saying, we're kind of trapped in that respect. But I think that that is an interesting angle that I I that I want to think about more so, I do wanna I'm gonna I'm gonna put a pin in that in my own head. Uh, and then consider that down the line, please do.
Speaker 4: But just that, Uh, Well, my wife's listening to all this stuff and about the lowliness because everything, and she just messages me, you know what, I think it's she just messages me that maybe it's time to have kids. Maybe that would help, because you know, how how do you survive the whole low and this stuff? Well, well just just have kids. Kids will bring some meaning in you if you don't have it already, I think, so find some way how to how to get this meaning, I suppose.
Speaker 1: Right, and that and that seems to be sort of the core of what people don't understand when they're calling for more violence, for civil war, for retribution and all that is, they're they're encouraging increased meaninglessness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there steps. We will have a lot to say because of direct experience, and I think that's where it comes in for reality. But like to throw my two sense before I jump in, I think it's it's just insane because these people think that somehow they have this image, like they watch The Patriot with Mel Gibson one too many times and they think that they are gonna grab their masket and kill the evildoers and restore the greatness of American society. The reality is nobody wins these games. Nobody wins low engagement civil war like that. You're gonna have a bunch of murders tick for that where you kill their guy, they kill their guy, you kill and absolutely nobody comes out on top. In that way. You just have a giant blood bat for a really long time. And this is not a I'm not even taking about like it's not a regular war where sure an army may eventually end up winning regardless of what the coast may be. I'm talking about this low level murder back and forth at the neighborhood level, like militia. Nobody wins those games.
Speaker 1: And years of lead the troubles, Yeah, all that stuff wean you just don't know shit, you know.
Speaker 2: And that's the problem that I'm seeing, like a tone of the mess suges I saw online or like, well, I'm not exactly cheating for it, but it's necessary and that's what we'll need to be done to bring back the United States.
Speaker 4: And two things here, Two things here. Number one in Trump election, Putin's official Putin's official idea was to cause the Civil War in the United States. That's that's that's put ins and goal for starters. If someone wants to talk about winning. Secondly, what does even winning mean in this case? They don't even know what winning is. You can't even conceptualize what is a win in civil war? What you killed fifty percent of your country? Good luck with the economy then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think with all that said, I think it's clear that things are not in a good place right now in the United States, and I think it's pretty clear that you guys recognize it for various personal reasons, but also just I think being you know, mature and well acquainted with history and how human beings work. And there's not really many things in the way of solutions. But I do appreciate both of you being here to help us go through all this, help me work through my own feelings on it a bit too. I guess I just want to let you guys, have you know the last word in what do you think needs to be understood by the people who are cheering this stuff on? Like what do they need to understand? And maybe that that they don't understand now, like what what do you how do you want to close that close that circle there.
Speaker 4: I was almost afraid that you were going to say what needs to be done? And then I have a leton look for you. But no, no, no, here here is well what can I say? You know, come visit me at the time? What that I have pelling machine? But seriously, then that's that's only partially a joke. I like visiting. They're only a part of that a joke. And and and the fact is that what I would say is the practical advice is which is from one of my books on journalism that I studied upon, but Russian journalists luxilitives on of and he wrote a very important thing that a true professional journalist never never offends anyone unintentionally. If you want to offense someone, make it precise and exact right, then you know why you're doing this. But if you're callous and just casual about this, then of course people will get angry because don't be that just you know, be a person that only only offends people intentionally. Be that kind of person. Think about this. It's actually it's deeper than you think. That's a practical advice.
Speaker 1: Here, Danielle. I'll let you have the last word on this. Then what do people not understand? Like, what do they need to understand?
Speaker 2: I think is regardless of how well justified you think you are, because of course, every single person think that their position is the correct one, and they have reasons because the other guys are the assholes and stuff. And in some cases you may be right, but it doesn't matter because once you start playing the as versus them game, nobody wins. Once you start the dehumanization of either the other guys politics, or religion or whatever.
Speaker 1: The hell.
Speaker 2: When it gets to that level, even if you are right, it doesn't help because it leads to just full on conflict and then we're back to shooting at each other with no decent outcome. As painful as it may be to have the discussion with the person that you think is embracing ideas that are beyond horrific, I think it's extremely important to remind people A man, I think your point of view may suck, you think mind sucks, but you know you want your kids to grow up healthy. I do too. I want you know, hear some Tomatoes series like bring it back to a level where humans are not reduced just to one idea, and unfortunately we do that all. I mean, even if we do that all the time, look a like COVID. In COVID, there were people who were either full on like we need to nuke the unvaccinated, or there were people that if you took a COVID vaccine, you are the enemy because you allied yourself with the evil powers of the world. It's like Jesus Christ Man, these are your neighbors who are trying to figure out what to do in a massive, stressful situation with very limited information. They may make a damn choice according to you, but who cares. That doesn't make them the enemy, you know what I mean? That may make them. Oh, I disagree with your choice.
Speaker 4: To hit an oue with me. I now understand why the Diccletian went back to these cabbages. I mean it makes sense.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, no, I think it's important because otherwise we don't get out of it. Otherwise it's just a blood bath and there's nothing good that will come from it. So I think it's important to and doesn't mean you need to compromise your ideas if you think that somebody absolutely hateful ideas, figure out if there's a way that maybe by relating on a human level, you can bring down the temperature. There's this famous story that I absolutely love of this one African American bluesman befriended a bunch of KKK guys and somehow, through his ability to befriend these people who hate him, he was able to have a bunch of them turning their KKK membership and be done with it. So to me, that's easier said than done. But that's the game. Going on Twitter saying we need to massacre all the people who believe this. Yeah, not a good idea.
Speaker 5: Not your kind of.
Speaker 3: You've seen kind of fun everything, not kind of peep book, something in your makeup, don't see to U.
Speaker 2: Wait, not chuck.
Speaker 5: Peep to big, not check a bee by fine news, do't talk And that's not but STI