Speaker 1: Closing time.
Speaker 2: I've been gone for hours and it's time to close the door.
Speaker 1: Good notably an all time great Bob Dylan's song. Really good way to open up the podcast episode.
Speaker 2: But well, the reason why I'm doing it mac little topical news here for a little poly charged if you will. But TikTok is on the clock might be shutting down in just a couple days. And how does that tie into our topic. Well, Bob Dylan just joined TikTok this past Wednesday.
Speaker 1: What happens first TikTok officially gets banned or Bob Dylan dies.
Speaker 2: I think that TikTok might go away. So I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's really stupid if it does, really really stupid if it does. I learned last week when talking about this movie Yeah at work, that Bob don't still live.
Speaker 2: Yeah he's still very much alive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like eighty four years old. I thought he was dead.
Speaker 2: You didn't see him with Mumford and Song at the Sun at the Grammys a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: Nope, Well maybe, but that was two years ago.
Speaker 2: That was like fifteen years ago.
Speaker 1: When you're in your eighties, a year is a dog year. It's like seven years, you make another year. It's it's a real accomplishment.
Speaker 2: Either way, though, Bob Dylan joining TikTok now would be like after the Titanic hit the iceberg and you like paraglide in and land on the deck and you're like, who was going on? Guys, got any cool news?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Not great, not great timing, especially considering this movie came out three weeks ago. You would have thought he would have joined like a month ago.
Speaker 2: Because the first video that was posted was clearly done by someone else. It's a minute long and it's promoting his music and how he's now on TikTok. The other one is someone commented being like, you've only got thirty minutes, and it's a video of him going I better get out of here. So maybe that's it. Maybe he leaves TikTok before it closes.
Speaker 1: Do you think he's clearly not aloof and he has stood for a lot of things over his Yeah, I don't know d sears active here, but does he look the most aloof anyone's ever looked?
Speaker 2: On purpose?
Speaker 1: That's what I mean. Yeah, he's purposefully trying to look like that, Like he's the textbook definition of a loof the way he looks right, he's not well, maybe he is now.
Speaker 2: I don't even think he is now. I think he's still as sharp as an attack. You see him. You see when Chalomey did the dress up of him, when he had the blonde hair and the little mustache and goateee. That has nothing to do with this topic, but it's like the substance.
Speaker 1: Oh there you go.
Speaker 2: One was younger than the other. Let's get back to TikTok here for a second. If it does go away, I'll say this to you people over there, all one hundred and seventy of our followers, thank you for following us. The cellist is playing us off right now. But you can find us on other social media accounts, other social media platforms, all mac and goo podcast and also get this, we have a podcast. You can listen to a full podcast of us doing what we do for a minute long in those clips. Also we're on YouTube smash subscribe button.
Speaker 1: This whole TikTok nonsense is a complete fucking witch hunt. It's so stupid, it's so dumb. I only joined TikTok maybe a year and a half, two years ago. I never really came back I spend all sorts of time on TikTok, but the whole I don't. We're not gonna get political here now, but this has been a complete and utter witch hunt. What a joke this has been.
Speaker 2: We'll all be proven right one good three? Yeah, job three, King of Queen Mill Street, entertaining time. Go and I'm Mac and we are the Mac and You program. We bring you friendship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, friendship in the form of a completely unknown podcast. Huh.
Speaker 2: Now we're pretty known. I think everyone knows exactly what we're gonna say today.
Speaker 1: We are discussing the Bobby Zimmerman biopic, a complete unknown, that's right, the Bob Dylan movie. Dare I say not? Okay, So going into a biopiccou Yeah, you're expecting you know, one of two things. One it captures a moment, a glimpse in like the Rise of the Artist. Or two it's like a whole life spanning thing. This one is the first one. But when you do the first one, you gotta have some real highs, and this movie just doesn't have them.
Speaker 2: You don't think playing an electric guitar is a high.
Speaker 1: I don't think strumming an electric guitar at the nineteen sixty five Newport Folkfest is is really what the people are looking for.
Speaker 2: I mean that was age huge cultural touchstone moment. Though I do understand that, which is really funny though, because like people of that age are like, yeah, you guys complain about the stupidest stuff. Well, Bob Dylan played an electric guitar and you guys all lost your minds.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're tomatoes at it. Yeah. Cinematically that plays out poorly is not the word, just like so anti climatically like this movie. Timothy Shallow may don't get me wrong, he deserves every accolade he may or may not get. He's nominated for a bunch of shit. He's what carries this movie and carries in the in the the highest sense of the word. Because this movie's pretty boring, pretty boring. I don't think it's not boring. No, so I fun no, no, no, there's no highs. Look you're not you're not rooting for or against anything.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the fact that we have a nice tight window of when he starts and then as he hits the zenith of his popularity. I think you have an air that it's a four year window.
Speaker 1: Correct yeah, technically so it starts in sixty one ends in sixty five, so five fullest years.
Speaker 2: And it also doesn't pull any punches of the fact that Bob Dylan's an asshole.
Speaker 1: So number one, they make him somewhat of an asshole. That's true. Number two, Goo, let's get through the nuts and bolts. Actually, let before we dive into what this movie did and didn't do. Let's get to the nuts and bolts. Because I have a like a small gripe, and I'm not a Bob Dylan guy. You're not a Bob Dylan.
Speaker 2: I like Bob Dylan, do you really? I don't love Bob Dylan. I like Bob Dylan.
Speaker 1: I love two Bob Dylan songs. On the whole, I don't care for him. I recognize the significance songwriting wise, one of the all time greats, maybe the greatest songwriter ever. I do not care for his voice. So going into this, I'm not expecting to love this.
Speaker 2: I have spoken with two people who love Bob Dylan and have seen this movie, one of them being my father in law, who thought the portrayals by all the actors were spot on. He said that every mannerism was nailed by every single actor. That was echoed by a second person that also love Bob Dylan and usually hates the fact when a biopic biopic, I just said it completely wrong.
Speaker 1: I said, biopeds biopic, whatever you say, biopic people off.
Speaker 2: But he had said he usually hates when they take liberties and like anything is off from what the truth is. And he said that that the movie made sense, the stretches of the truth made sense for this storytelling, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So riddle me this. Then, Goo in nineteen sixty five when he plays Newport Folk Festival.
Speaker 2: I wasn't alive.
Speaker 1: No, neither of us were for another twenty three years, answers your question. Four years. He gets married, Goo to his first wife in nineteen sixty five. It has four kids with her. There's no mention of her in this movie. She's not at all brought up in this movie. So they took some liberties. She's completely omitted from this film. They don't bring her up whatsoever.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that was a thing, so I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, there you go. So I was a little bothered by that, but I digress. Goo, a complete unknown, has been in theater since Christmas so it's on its third week now, I think, going into its fourth week, it's made fifty two point four million at the box office, just sixteen thousand internationally. So what did it cost just a US release? GOI reportedly the budget for this movie fifty to seventy million.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is gonna lose money. It might make back the budget, but the marketing that tied end, let's say even conservatively doubled, it's probably one hundred and ten hundred and twenty.
Speaker 2: Make it back in DVD sales.
Speaker 1: So this movie is gonna lose money. I think maybe in part because Bob Dylan's not so popular.
Speaker 2: No he is. I think that the way this is gonna work, no one talks.
Speaker 1: About Bob Dylan the way they do the Beatles, though, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: No, pretty similar, It's no. No, people people say the greatest American songwriter is Bob Dylan.
Speaker 1: People do not talk about Bob Dylan the way they talk about the Beatles.
Speaker 2: That's because people can't can't shut up about the Beatles.
Speaker 1: No, but when you're talking about cultural significance, Goo, the box office is the perfect number right there. It might make seventy million domestically, it's gonna make no money international, So what you're telling a worldwide stock.
Speaker 2: But that Bob Dylan is more important than Robbie Anderson.
Speaker 1: He doesn't, that's not even the name. But I don't even care for James Robbie Williams.
Speaker 2: Bobby Anderson is the wide receiver.
Speaker 1: He he doesn't have the worldwide appeal that you probably want when you're making a biopick. In the very same way Robbie Williams doesn't. Two misfires. I think two okay stories. I'm sure you know people have acted well, but it's just it's a complete misfire in my eyes. And again I recognize the significance of Bob Dylan. That said, I don't want to watch a Bob Dylan biopick. I might stomach a documentary like he grew up, you know, in the sixties, when there was a lot of shit going on socially. And that's another thing they didn't get into enough goo in this movie, is they they don't talk about how socially relevant he became during all those movements in the sixties. They just glossed over it. And that was a little frustrating because that's the most interesting part of his.
Speaker 2: Time Rolling Stones, Rolling Stone the magazine, not the band. One hundred Greatest Songwriters of All Time at number one. This is a watch Mojo list. Now, Bob Dylan, I just said that three minutes ago. You might consider I'm the greatest songwriter of all time. That doesn't change the fact that no one talks about Bob Dylan the way they talk about the Beatles, The Stones, even Queen a biopick that did tremendously better than this. So you're judging his all off box office.
Speaker 1: I think you really have to consider, like, why would you make this movie? What were they projecting for this movie? If it's a seventy million dollar budget, why would and you think you might make seventy What are you doing?
Speaker 2: I just think because it happened so long ago now, And I'm curious, because give me the documentary. Because they're making the Beatle Verse movies with the four Beatles movies. How much better those even do?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but at least that has a chance because that's a worldwide appeal. Again, give me the documentary, and we've got a couple of Beatles documentaries we don't have, like the the defined Bob Dylan documentary. Probably I'm much more interested than that, and it would cost way less to make and probably make as much as this fucking movie. Anyways. All right, so this is now sitting as the eleventh highest grossing biopic ever. I'm sure they were expecting more than that. It might finish in the top ten. Who knows. It is an R rated biography drama and music sub genres here go docu drama, period drama. I do think they captured nineteen sixties New York City pretty well.
Speaker 2: May I recommend a documentary to you right now. It's by Martin Scorsese. It's called No Direction Home. It's about Bob Dylan.
Speaker 1: There you go, which makes sense when we get to the writers in a second. This is a runtime of one hundred and forty one minutes. It moves along decently well, but I have to say, when there was about an hour left, I'm like, this isn't really going anywhere, Like it didn't have the build up you really needed for like a great final act. And that was just a little bit of a disappointment.
Speaker 2: The character that I really liked, and I had no knowledge of her prior to this, I didn't like I knew who Bob Dylan was, I knew who Joan Biez was, but uh Sylby Russo, I wanted more of her. I wanted more of a story there.
Speaker 1: Oh that's the other thing too, which I don't I don't know who she is el fan movie, El Fantas. She did a good joke. Apparently her real name is Susie Russo. So did she not give them the rights?
Speaker 2: I mean she has went by Silby No.
Speaker 1: I think they changed it for the movie.
Speaker 2: Was it a Janis jop chop situation?
Speaker 1: A good had one hundred and forty one minutes. It does feel a bit long by the end because you're sort of just waiting for that papal moment and it doesn't have it. On roddy teaz seventy eight percent from the critics, ninety six percent from the audience, and on Metacritic of seventy one. So I actually feel like the critics have actually nailed what this is. I think it's in that you know, sea range where it's like paid by numbers biopick with a really good performance, and to me, that's like completely.
Speaker 2: I think there's more than just one good performance though. This is a well acted movie.
Speaker 1: Sure, but it's in the biopick. All you really care about is the person the movie's about. If that's done, well, that's that's all anyone, from what I've heard, does The jobs.
Speaker 2: By Edward Norton as Pete Seeger is one of the best, not impressions, but like portrayals of someone where you think it's actually them.
Speaker 1: Who cares about Pete Seeger. Goo, That's that's sort of what I'm getting into here. You don't care about Pete Seeger. I don't care about Pete Seeger. Your father in law does great. This movie's gonna lose my My father.
Speaker 2: In law knew who was on the fucking keyboard during the during the jam sessions.
Speaker 1: They should have made this movie twenty five years ago, Goo, when Walk the Line was made, they should have made this.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Walk the Line, I love when Johnny Cash shows up in this. Yeah, someone made the point of it's like an Oppenheimer. When Einstein shows up, Everyone's like, oh shit, it's Einstein.
Speaker 1: This movie is speaking of Walk the Line written by James Mangold, Jay Cox Nice, hold On, hold On, Yeah, uh, James man Gold and James Cox, based on the book Dylan Goes Electric by Elijah Wald. We know James Mangold, but to give you some of his writing background. Oliver and Company. One of Goo's favorites, cop Land, underrated movie, Girl Interrupted, underrated movie, Walk the Line That's properly rated. I think everyone kind of loves that movie. Logan is one of our favorites of all time. Indiana Jones and The Dial of Destiny is the last one he wrote before this. Not coming off a peak, go upcoming a movie. He's both writing and directing Star Wars Down of the Jedi, a story that has set twenty five thousand years before in New Hope and focuses on the discovery of the Force. So that's interesting. I'm in on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said that he wanted the Star Wars story that had no ties to anything Goo.
Speaker 1: You brought up Scorsese earlier. Jay Cox is a noted scorsece writer on his movies Age of Innocence, Silence, Gangs of New York. He also helmed or penned the Catherine Bigelow movie Strange Days. So he's been known and around for thirty forty years. Upcoming, he's he's written something called The Last of the Savages. So if you're if you're into his stuff, there you go. Directed again by James Mangold. He directed all those movies I just talked about on top of Identity three, Tender Yuma, The Wolverine, Ford Versus Ferrari. So James Mangold has had a pretty great career. Actually, I believe this movie moved him into the It was either the top thirty or top forty all time of highest grossing directors. So he's, you know, he's still got plenty of career ahead of him. He just his it seems like he's I'm looking forward to the Star Wars movie. But I don't know. I almost feel like he's a little overrated because after Logan talked about him as like he had touched the sun right and I'm thinking about Ford Verus Ferrari was great. But if you're looking at a lot of stuff here, like I don't, I don't know, Like this movie was the perfect opportunity for a director as known as as great as James Mangold is to put his touch on it and instead, because the due of the source material, at least what they showed us in this movie is not very interesting.
Speaker 2: It does just feel like an ordinary biopic. It doesn't chance to get up.
Speaker 1: A notch, and he didn't. Maybe he tried and it got shot down. But I was waiting for like that Mangold like I don't know, excitement, and it just never came in this movie.
Speaker 2: Our buddy formerly of the Boxer's podcast, Wesley burho Uh, usually describes James Mangold movies as dad movies and.
Speaker 1: Very apt for this one. Yeah, my so speaking of so your father in law, my father's a little younger, my father still in his fifties. Not a Dylan guy, like doesn't hate Dylan, just not a Dylan guy. Had no really interesting going to see this Opta tocy wicked instead, So like even the dads like I because Dylan is a divisive figure and they show that somewhat in this movie. But there was just never like, there was never something super entertaining.
Speaker 2: So you wanted them to get more into like like the civil discourse.
Speaker 1: Yes, because that's way more interesting than the fucking Newport folk Festival.
Speaker 2: But what don't you get about this is that if he played electric guitar at the folk festival, then no one would like folk music anymore.
Speaker 1: And I get that they're basing it off a book based off of that, but it's a Bob Dylan biopic, so put more stuff in it other than just his trials and tribulations at the fucking Newport Folk Festival. Like it was kind of frustrating. And as someone that doesn't know a ton about Bob Dylan, I really didn't learn much about him in this movie.
Speaker 2: Did you like the amount of music played?
Speaker 1: I thought the best part of this movie was that the music wasn't overwhelming. And it also they didn't like break into some every now and then. Bob Dylan musician just played music everything he.
Speaker 2: Didn't like start singing on the street and shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I actually I appreciated that aspect of this movie. I did.
Speaker 2: I mean, everyone wants something from him, you know, because he's a big still a synopsis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, In nineteen sixty one, an unknown nineteen year old Bob Dylan arrives in.
Speaker 2: New York City, a complete unknown if you will.
Speaker 1: Oh, and Forger's relationships with music icons on his meteoric rise, culminating in a groundbreaking performance that reverberates worldwide. Also, and again, I think the movie's terrible. What was the Queen biopick, the Freddie Murphy biop Bohaemian rahaps a Day Mercury. Yeah, so that culminates in Live a Right, and that's a pretty fantastic experience. And of course there's tons of footage of that as well. But I think they were going for something like that here and then it just just didn't land.
Speaker 2: Bob Dylan's only five foot seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's why Timothy Shallamy.
Speaker 2: Is Timothy Schalame is five foot ten.
Speaker 1: No, how about that? How tall is John bia give this movie stars as Bob Dylan aka Robert Zimmerman, that is his government name. Edward Norton as Pete Seeger, who goose father in law loved. Edward Norton did a great job. I just don't give a fuck about Pete Seeger. I don't think anyone does. El Fanning as Sylvie Russo. She was very good to me. She was showing the most range in this movie. I really appreciated her character. Monica Barabo as Joan Baiez, another very popular folk singer in the early sixties. Boyd Holbrook is Johnny Cash, who essentially is Dylan's idol and then contemporary. I thought he did a. He played Johnny Cash about as understated as you can to not take away from the main.
Speaker 2: No, there was the one scene of him trying to pull his car out that got a little cartoonish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think that's about as understated as you can play Johnny Cash. Based on his life and time.
Speaker 2: I was playing Johnny Cash, I would just start saying all of his song lyric by accidents.
Speaker 1: Pete Seeger's wife, Toshi Segar was played by Erko Hatsune. She did a very nice job. And then we get Scoot mcnairy's Woody Guthrie and this gu I thought, now, listen, it's really hard to play someone who is, you know, on their deathbed and is riddled with something. I thought I did an unbelievable job. Was great. The three scenes we got him, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are really good scenes him and Dylan in the hospital and Dylan talking to him, but also just kind of talking to no one it was or playing for him and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It showed and humanized Dylan a little bit, which the film needed because they you're right, and they they show how how big of an asshole he is at certain points. But he didn't have a big assholeish moment in the movie either like it.
Speaker 2: Was no because even even the one part on the street where the girl says to him, but I love you, and then he looks at He's like I just met you, so like you're on his side. So like at first you're like, oh, like how long does it? This was after a little break in time, like how long had he been with her? But then immediately this is like their first date.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So again, this movie encompasses, encompasses Dylan's rise to fame, the meteoric rise it culminates, you know, the final fifteen minutes is his performance at Newport Folk Festival in nineteen sixty five, where he uses an electric guitar and a full band, which, if you know anything about folk music is taboo, especially in nineteen sixty five. And I get how prominent and how you know, big that was in nineteen sixty five. I just didn't feel like that came across all that much in this movie. You just had like the festival planners I said about it.
Speaker 2: Trying to chop down a board with an axe.
Speaker 1: I am perturbed, Goo, because again I'm not a big Bob Dylan guy. But like we get it. Bob Dylan had four kids, and it was married for like fifteen or twenty years, and they got married in nineteen sixty five, So I get why they ended up where they did in one respect, but at the same time to like not bring any of that up at all.
Speaker 2: Well, once you play electric guitar at a folk festival, your career is over. It is now time to move on and work at the steel mill and have children.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it just I think that was dumb. And again, I'm perfectly fine with biopicks being just snapshots of someone's rise. I maybe prefer in some respects, but this just did like the rise of Bob Dylan was not that interesting. It just wasn't. He just played Newport Folk Festival a couple times and then played electric guitar in nights in sixty five. And I get the historic significance of it, But as a fucking movie and a story that's not very interesting.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a little more interesting than what you're giving forth right now. I thought it was. I thought it was a solid bio pick. I thought that there were really good performances in it. I like how short the story is as well. I don't need their entire they were born, they were a child, and then they died. I'm cool with the Yes, it doesn't necessarily have like the highest peak to it, but it's a pretty solid valley.
Speaker 1: I just feel like, in this day and age, if you're gonna invest seventy million into a biopick, it better be fucking interesting and worth it and unique like and this is why. And I think you appreciate this as well. When we talk about Taron Edgerton as Elton John, how awesome that was because it was such a unique take on a biopick and it fit the artist so well. Like that movie is what people should be striving to make when they make biopicks.
Speaker 2: But I also really loved the NWA one, and that's kind of a straightforward biopick.
Speaker 1: Fair enough. I'm just it just sometimes like if if it's not perfect, it comes off as lazy, and this feels a little lazy. Mm.
Speaker 2: I slightly disagree, but I know what you're talking about. Okay, should we do the Octagon?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get through the octagon fun factor.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of songs that I knew.
Speaker 1: There actually wasn't a lot of songs.
Speaker 2: Really, you didn't know a lot of those songs.
Speaker 1: I think I knew three songs. Not much fun in this movie. I would have preferred more of the social strife or the relationship back and forth. We just got too much of the Newport Folk Festival, so I.
Speaker 2: Think the reason why, and obviously they just wanted to focus on like that's what the story was. But I think if you focused on the social stuff, would that split audiences.
Speaker 1: I mean, look at the box office number. I don't think it would have mattered.
Speaker 2: I don't know whatever satisfactor. No. I was hoping that we were building towards something else. But I should have known going in, because that's what this movie was about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it tells you from from the jump, and it builds towards that. About halfway through, you know how this is gonna culminate, and it just like it just doesn't satisfy the viewer.
Speaker 2: Even at the beginning of the movie. Wait, was this in the movie or did my father in law whisper this to me that he Pete Seeger says very early on that he hates electric instruments.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I caught it. Did he say that you got that you got that vibe anyway.
Speaker 2: But wasn't whispered to me in my ear.
Speaker 1: It may have may have been whispered for you, but you got that vibe for sure.
Speaker 2: You also did feel that he was willing to bend, not break on it, but then by the end he would not give in.
Speaker 1: It's just crazy, absolutely crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's your biggest start. Just let him do whatever the fuck he wants. Right If you're hosting a folk festival and you get Bob Dylan there and Bob Dylan wants to take a shit in a hat, you say, Bob, you want a hat? Do you give him your hat?
Speaker 1: I would like to see did he speak to the accuracy of who was more popular at the time, Johnny Cash or Bob Dylan.
Speaker 2: I did not ask, but I think in that circle it would be Bob Dylan.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Let's see here borometer. I thought it was pretty even throughout, like it would I don't think there were any super highs, but there weren't. He lows It's consistent.
Speaker 1: No, I agree, and that's why I feel like this is I guess, maybe not lazy, but really average movie. Like the pacing was done well seemed to scene. It was solid. It was kind of boring just because there was no high highs. There was nothing to like get real jazzed up about or much to talk about at the end of the movie. But yeah, like baseline, the pulse was decent.
Speaker 2: Like when they brought Sylbe back into the movie early third act, I'm like, oh, I'm interested to see what she does. You know what she does. She leaves nothing. No, she leaves nothing, instantly leaves. Yeah, kind of disappointed with that. Having no knowledge of any of their lives. I was hoping for something a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And don't get me wrong, like I guess, get me wrong. I don't give a fuck, Like, yeah, we spend you've been wrong this entire time.
Speaker 2: It's okay, we.
Speaker 1: Spend over two hours with this character. A lot of people our age don't know much of anything about him, and so you become somewhat invested in this character and you want to see what ends up happening to this character instead of having to google stuff at the end of the movie and so like not showing him becoming a family man after.
Speaker 2: Yet over the family man stuff.
Speaker 1: That's movie again, No, but that's significant to Bob Dylan because he's so anti establishment in this and that and whatever, Like it's a significant thing that it becomes a family man for twenty years, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But like, okay, So what Mac wanted was before he goes on stage with his electric guitar, he looks over at Pete and he says, after this, I'm gonna go settle down.
Speaker 1: No, but I at least want to see him meet his wife and give us a little bit, like a little crumbs down that path. And it's just not there.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's that interesting.
Speaker 1: It's more interesting than the rest of the movie.
Speaker 2: I disagree. Him becoming a parent is not interesting.
Speaker 1: No, it's not him necessarily becoming a parent.
Speaker 2: It's him change on a family sitcom with Bob Dylan as the dad.
Speaker 1: Bob Dylan fundamentally changing is what I'm getting at, And they don't show you.
Speaker 2: Look, I agree with you that it would have been more interesting if you look at if you look at his politics and that type of stuff. I don't agree with you about him being a family man. I don't care about that.
Speaker 1: You're missing the fucking point. That whole movie shows how big of an asshole he is. And how he doesn't value human connections and even at the end there's he's like, h doesn't say bye, And then instantly in real life in that year, he got fucking married and had four kids with this woman.
Speaker 2: Maybe he has a husband and as a father, and I don't know this he's the exact same guy.
Speaker 1: I guess that's a possibility. Gu but the fact that it's not mentioned is insane.
Speaker 2: And that's the beauty of this movie. It leaves you guessing.
Speaker 1: Oh it doesn't because it's not interesting enough.
Speaker 2: It wasn't that Bad Man Halloween.
Speaker 1: That's annoying.
Speaker 2: Well, this movie Wayne Overtime.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm never watching this movie ever again.
Speaker 2: Lemonade. When life gives you plemons, you make plemonade. And I will go with Eddie Norton.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm gonna go with Scoop McNary. He brought some emotion to those scenes. He jumped over our Quada world. This movie. This movie floats because of Timothy Shaloman. He does an amazing job.
Speaker 2: But I don't like there are other biopics where the lead actor like you feel it the whole time. You're like, this guy is gonna win an Academy Award. This doesn't feel like that for Shells.
Speaker 1: No, I agree, I don't think he's a shoe. And then, and actually I was thinking about that when the movie was over. I was like, I don't know if that's the best. I don't even know if it's the best Timothy Shallomey performance I saw.
Speaker 2: Dune, Give Me du He's better in Duke, Give Me do.
Speaker 1: Better in Doune. Yeah, but it's also because Bob Dylan's a bit of an eccentric and a cartoon character in his own right. It's really hard to play that character, which is why I'm giving him credit.
Speaker 2: Pants Den City, Excite, Mike Mania, what Gut You Going?
Speaker 1: Nothing doesn't have the standout moment. There's no highs in general in this It's not lustful, it's not sexy, it's not fun. There's no like even you know. And maybe this is because I'm not a Bob Dylan guy. Musically, like, there's no foot stomping, toe tapping type of thing along the way, like the way that a lot of musical biopicks are. It's just this movie just exists with really good acting. That's that's it.
Speaker 2: I think some of the music when you start to hear him getting into one of his famous songs, You're like, oh shit, I know this one, and then they sing the whole thing.
Speaker 1: The most gleeful part of the movie is the first time you hear the dude play the organ in the in the studio. Yea for like a rolling stone. That's probably the best part.
Speaker 2: All right, Mac, you've already gone to your credit union, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's Timothy Shallon May He's If he wasn't good, this movie would be god awful.
Speaker 2: For those of you tarty to the Mac and Goo party. We rate everything on a forty hot dog rating system. Mac, what did you think of Bob Dylan Colin movie?
Speaker 1: So I'm about six hours removed from having seen this. You've seen it, sorry, almost a month ago, so you're more comfortable with how you feel about it. This for me felt like a really classic Paint by Numbers biopick. It didn't take any chances. There's barely any struggle or anything to keep you interested. There's nothing overtly fun or like juicy in the way you'd expect in one of these biopicks about a famous musician. There's nothing in here that you're like, ooh, I learned this about Bob Dolan today. It just feels really plain, really average, and maybe that's what suits Bob doan, but that's probably not right because of the legacy he has. I just thought it was pretty met like without the performance of Timoey's Sellamey. I I don't think this floats. So I don't know like it. It's not a bad movie. It's just like disappointing. I guess it's when you get into biopics, like you really got to crush it for me to love the movie. So I think I left it like thirty thirty one hot Dogs and I might be at like twenty eight twenty nine right now, so it's probably in the twenties for me. I think I've seen fifty three movies now from twenty twenty four. It's I'm gonna go I'll go thirty hot Dogs on the nose, give it a seventy five ish, But I feel like tomorrow I'm gonna be at twenty eight.
Speaker 2: You just said a word that struck a chord with me, a guitar string if you will. This movie does lack struggle. There's no struggle to it. No, it's all up.
Speaker 1: Yes, he doesn't get knocked down at all.
Speaker 2: There's no fucking tumbawamba.
Speaker 1: And again that might be very true, but that doesn't make for an interesting story.
Speaker 2: So maybe the more interesting story is, you know, how we start with him getting to New Jersey, maybe the five years prior to that, that's the more interesting story of him.
Speaker 1: We don't get any background.
Speaker 2: He claims that he's a circus freak, Like how did he end up getting to New Jersey and catching his break there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, give us twenty five minutes of him getting his ass kicked in the circus or whatever, people hating him, people his family doesn't like him, and then he moves to the big city and makes it, And then that's built in more of a rooting interest.
Speaker 2: In the five years prior, like how did he become such a wordsmith? How did he become such a poet? Because he just shows up and he's already that.
Speaker 1: Which, again, like I think the mistake from the jump was choosing just that one book to go off of, Like we're talking about Bob Don't here again like significant figure in music history, and he gave us a four or five year window snapshot where nothing went wrong.
Speaker 2: For I guess because even at the end, like he he has no thoughts of like, Okay, I'm not gonna play the electric guitar now, He's just gonna do There's no recushions.
Speaker 1: He just stops on it.
Speaker 2: He has no second thought about it, about anything really, Like even when he's when he's playing the duets with Joan and he's like, I'm not gonna play this song. My guitar is broken, my microphone's broken. Sorry about that. Yeah, there is no issues for him in this movie.
Speaker 1: Which is why, like I'm annoyed with James Mangold too, because he is such a good director that you would have thought there would have been a nice spinning here. And he's one of the writers as well, something in the script where he could have made this a more interesting movie. I get like, you're trying to tell a pretty true story, but I don't know, man, Like, at some point you gotta grip us in somehow.
Speaker 2: I think I understand now that if you set this movie ten years after these events, and you know, he was the biggest music star in the world and now he's a stay at home dad, it's Bob Dylan.
Speaker 1: But it is more interesting just inherently just think about it, Like someone with a wife of four kids. It's much harder to be a very famous musician when you're single and twenty four years old. It's really easy. It's very easy.
Speaker 2: I have this at thirty one, hot Dogs, Mac.
Speaker 1: Okay, I yeah, I'm gonna go give me twenty nine, give me twenty.
Speaker 2: Nine, twenty nine. I have this ranked let's see here, thirteenth on the year.
Speaker 1: Wow, Jesus again, it had been a great year. That's pretty high for a thirty one though.
Speaker 2: No, no, so it's after like my old ass, the bike Rider's Furio, some monkey Man, Twisters, Planet of the Apes, all those.
Speaker 1: I believe it was twenty when I had it at thirty thirty one. Yeah, so if I bump into twenty nine, this just comes in at like twenty eight. Here's a question for you. This's your gladiator too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like this better than Glady. This is a more concise story, This is a better told story.
Speaker 1: This might be this might be a little better. So I have gladiated to at twenty nine. So maybe this is thirty or maybe a better twenty nine. Mac.
Speaker 2: If I were to ask you right now, though I know that you said you're not a bob Dylan guy, I get it. Can you give me a six pack of Bob Dylan songs?
Speaker 1: So? I think his best song is the Hurricane about Rubyn Hurricane Carter. I think that's his best song. No one ever says it is because they always say like a Rolling Stone is the greatest song of all time, or they always point to how Watchtower, even though Hendricks made his own thing, Bob Dylan did write it. Like a Rolling Stone does have a really like gospelish feel. Is very cool. I really really like that song watched Ower. I'll say I'll scream it from the highest mountain top. Dave Matthews band does the best version of that song. Hendrix is incredible.
Speaker 2: You think Dave Matthews is a better version than Hendrix? Oh my God, let me give you a hat? You go shit in a hat?
Speaker 1: Bob Dylan's Bob Dylan's version of all Along the Watchtower sounds like he's getting attacked by a cat.
Speaker 2: Who is to say he isn't. I don't know where he was recording.
Speaker 1: Those might be the only three Bob Dylan songs. I like Watchtower, Hurricane, and uh rolling Stone. You can ask me gool, can you give me a six pack of Bob Dylan songs.
Speaker 2: I do really like his version of All Along the Watchtower. Hendrix's version is better, but I do like this. I like this version better than the Dave Matthews version the Hurricane was it nine and a half ten minutes long? That's like that, what a bomb? It's so such a great story told and everything else.
Speaker 1: And I mentioned this, I jokingly said this to you a couple of weeks ago, with the best Bob Dylan movie is Hurricane, starring Dozel Washington. I'm right, Oh, I'm right. That movie is better than this.
Speaker 2: But what about the one where he's played by Kate Blanchette. It's played by seven different actors. Actually, that's an that's an interesting story, I'll tell you that much. Yeah, Blowing in the Wind, I like that one, like a rolling stone, the times they are.
Speaker 1: A change in that one's okay. Yeah, I like.
Speaker 2: Mister tambourine Man. I'm not ashamed to say that I might.
Speaker 1: Like mister tambourine Man as well.
Speaker 2: That was and there ain't no places I'm going to so thirty one. I'm pretty good with that. I like the movie, but I'm you're right, can anyone out there tell us was there any conflict in this movie for him? Obviously everyone around him had conflict.
Speaker 1: And you know it's very because of him, I guess.
Speaker 2: But he's also the reason why they were there.
Speaker 1: So yeah, true. This is one of the rare movies that has done pretty well, you know, critics and audience wise, that I haven't heard like anyone talk about online. There's a lot of a lot of chatter about a lot of movies in the last few weeks. And although you know, there's been movies like Wicked and Anor that have a lot of dominated TikTok and whatnot, I haven't heard people talk about Shalome. But the movie itself, no one really talks about.
Speaker 2: I mean, they'll talk about it when he joins the the nineteen sixties music Avengers with Austin Butler's Elvis and the Beatles movies that are coming up, and then maybe Freddy Murcury will but just jump back in time and join them. It'll be a grand old time.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna pull up best actor odds on DraftKings right now. See where Shalome is.
Speaker 2: I think he was second to the last time head.
Speaker 1: He doesn't strike me as as as the leader in the clubhouse.
Speaker 2: I think he was second the last time I checked.
Speaker 1: Best Actor, Adrian Brodie from The Brutals is minus two hundred. Chalome is plus one seventy five second, Ray Fien's is third plus four hundred, Coleman Domingo's fourth plus eight hundred, and Daniel Craig is fifth plus fourteen hundred, and then Sebastian stands six plus two thousand. So there's still a chance Chalome wins, and I'm not gonna say it's not deserved, but I won't I don't think I'll be rooting for him to win this.
Speaker 2: People are already starting to say that Chalamay might have a Leo DiCaprio like run of nominations for like fifteen twenty years and then eventually get it.
Speaker 1: I could see that. I could see that. But yeah, I think he's better in doone Too than he is in this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love him in Dune too. I think he's good in this.
Speaker 1: He shows more range in Done two than he does in this.
Speaker 2: He was a leader of men. I would follow him into the desert.
Speaker 1: As a man who we just talked about at the beginning of this episode, seemingly a small fella. The fact that he pulls off what he does in Done Too is incredible.
Speaker 2: He does the voice, don't do the voice. Let's get into Max say ma, sac could be anything. It could be a boat. Mac one of our podcasting brethren, got into a sticky situation at work when he took a canned beverage of the fridge, not labeled, but it did belong to someone else. And I'm gonna ask you, because you work in an environment where there is a shared fridge, there is a shared kitchen, etiquette wise, how do you go about what you will eat at work and what you won't.
Speaker 1: So typically in our scenario, a lot of times food or energy drinks get dropped off, like at the firehouses, people trying to promote stuff or leftover stuff. So that stuff's pretty tell tale. You'll be like, oh, this is for anyone, you can have it. People will grab from it. I could see how sometimes maybe someone's stuff would get mixed in with that, But generally, like if you bring in food or whatever, you put it in the fridge and you keep it in like a bag or a lunch box or a little cool or something like that. And as a general rule of thumb, at least in our fire department. Like, let's say I work tomorrow and then I'm back in three or four days. If that thanks still in the fridge, it's up for grabs. You go back in there, it's up for grabs. There's no I don't care if there's name on it. It's still sitting in there. It's up for grabs.
Speaker 2: Like you'll go in there and you'll see a nameless bag and you'll just eat whatever you find in there.
Speaker 1: Now I won't, but some people will. Some people will.
Speaker 2: Oh, people get hungry. I get it. You guys are heroes on our job.
Speaker 1: Anyways, Monday is fridge Day. So every Monday, the fridge gets cleaned up.
Speaker 2: Oh I think you meant the refrigerator. Perry from the Bears will show up every Monday and say to you guys.
Speaker 1: On Mondays, if there's stuff in there that's that's unlabeled, it gets tossed and that makes it stuff for the people that are on shift. But a lot of times, like the night before, if they cook something and there's leftovers, they'll let you know, like, hey, there's leftovers upstairs if you want it. But sometimes that stays in there for two, three or four days.
Speaker 2: Do any fights ever break out.
Speaker 1: No, they'll just it'll just turn into like a career long joke that you stole someone's this or that. Like every once in a while, here's a good example of it. Like Friday's often we'll do pizza at the firehouse, and sometimes people will just bring in their own pizza. So there have been occasions where someone goes into the fridge, sees leftover pizza and there and eats it. But it was like someone.
Speaker 2: Someone else's left or pizza or someone else's pizza. Yeah, okay, right, right right, And then they just get ship up. Like what if you went into the fridge and you saw a delicious turkey sandwich with a slice of bread in the middle that's covered in gravy. One might call it a moistmaker.
Speaker 1: Anything in the fridge looks like there's been some effort put into I'm assuming it's someone's, so I don't touch it.
Speaker 2: That's from friends, by the way, that's why Ross gets fired from the school. I believe someone eats his sandwich and he yells about it.
Speaker 1: I understand those reactions too, So it takes your shit. Then then your port for the day.
Speaker 2: You know, you can't ask me goo, what what's.
Speaker 1: It like at your communal work situation? There?
Speaker 2: I don't eat at work, so I don't know. Eight hours, I just sit there and going there. Ye okay, I focus. I do work. That's my job, not eat food.
Speaker 1: There's no like you never get coffee or you get up and go get like an energy drink or anything like.
Speaker 2: I bring a nice coffee and I drink it.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 2: I will say. One of the funniest thing that that someone's ever said it my work is they is they brought lunch every day, and they brought it in a lunch box, and they got into an argument with someone and a day or two later, someone filled their lunch box with milk, right, and the person pulled out the pulled out their lunch box and they go, oh, someone creamed my box.
Speaker 1: First of all, you know what, I have no comments on the situation.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe that they said that. I thought it was the funniest thing ever.
Speaker 1: It's preposterous that someone would pour milk into someone's lunchbox. Didn't say. But then the response though, and then you're waisting milk.
Speaker 2: I love milk.
Speaker 1: Too.
Speaker 2: What's your favorite milk milk percentage?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I drink whole. Now look at you, saucy boy. I think my mom used to buy two percent all the time growing up. But I think I like whole milk the best. But I never like buy a gallon a home.
Speaker 2: I mean, I drank two in one growing up and then my wife was like, no, let's drink Hall milk. I can't tell the difference. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh, you can tell the difference. And coffee. If I do get dairy, it might be a little skim. I can't. Coffee's already gonna run through me. I can't add dairy to the factor.
Speaker 2: I can do a splash of cream. Don't put any sugar in that, bitch.
Speaker 1: I don't do any crem I'll do maybe skim or some almond.
Speaker 2: I have never and even when I would eat at work, I would. I have never taken anything out of the fridge that was not mine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think most people don't, but you have that fringe ten percent of people that are in everyone's jobs that do these things. But there's also a difference between like a packed lunch and like a soda camp. You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Who took the Doritos out of my pack lunch.
Speaker 1: They put pretzels in here. That's not a good trade for me.
Speaker 2: They just did a whole swamp. What the shit? They traded me a grape juice for my PEPSI.
Speaker 1: I get crape juice and pretzlos. This is bullshit.
Speaker 2: That made the whole conversation worth it. Good work, guys, Mac. Where can the people find us?
Speaker 1: You can find us on Twitter and on Instagram at macagoo podcasts every of the platform. We are Mac and person and good. It's max Shift seven Goo that includes Facebook, sitter Tuning, Casparks, Preaker, and Google play Radio. We're on Spotify, but more importantly we're on Apple Podcasts. Get on that rate review subscribe five stars. If you do that, we'll get your free T shirt from folks over at Watertown sports Where. That's one of toown sports where thirty four mon obittraet in Watertown, Wattertown Sportswear, dot com expert screenprinting, and a couple.
Speaker 2: Dot com check us out next week for a news dump and we are efforting to get our awards for twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Ready to go, Oh, I'm watching Sing Sing this weekend because I'm getting Apple TV Plus tomorrow because Severance is coming out, and so Sing Sing is like twelve dollars cheaper to watch on Apple TV.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say it's also back in theaters.
Speaker 1: Took alright. I will not be.
Speaker 2: Going that and the thumbs Dance that and the substance is back in theaters.
Speaker 1: I think i'll see next week.
Speaker 2: People have been telling me that there's one other one. Maybe it's a skip, but I don't want to skip it.
Speaker 1: Really, who told you that?
Speaker 2: I forget I talked.
Speaker 1: I guess. I guess both of our attitudes having not seen it yet, I guess speaks for itself. Flow. Also, I want to see that the best animated at the Globes. I also just watched Kneecap the other day, but it's on Netflix now. It's an Irish movie. I don't know how to describe it. It's not going to be for everyone. I enjoyed it. I liked it more than a complete unknown.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, was it also about Bob Dylan?
Speaker 1: No, but it is about this Irish rap group and some of the strife going on in Ireland. That's pretty relevant. How they weren't recognizing the Irish language as like an official language. And so it's actually there's some there's a good little story in there.
Speaker 2: How is it pain?
Speaker 1: Not badneecap caps on Netflix if you're looking for something to watch, it's pretty.
Speaker 2: Good, alright. So Tuesdays or Goosdays. I Abuse Kangaroos, Tam Burton.
Speaker 1: Bye. Please flip the cassette over to side B to continue the adventure.
Speaker 2: Now it's time for girls jumping on trampolines.