Speaker 1: Hey, it's Neil Savedra. You're listening to kfi EM six forty The fore Report on demand on the iHeartRadio app. You got a show to do. Kfi AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio App. Hey everybody, it's the four Report, all Things Food, beverage and beyond. I am your well fed host, Neil Savedra. How do you do?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: A day to day? A lot to get to Today? We're dedicating today to a lot of the businesses that were victims of the fires in January. You have both there in Altadena and in Pacific Palisades, and some of them had to back out last minute because of circumstances. We're going to continue to do this and remind you that when the big headlines are gone, that people are still struggling to put their lives back together, not only those that lost a home, but those that lost businesses or patronage because you know, it changed the ecosystem. So we're going to be getting into that. I wanted to talk about a couple of methods of cooking that are less known. There are methods that if you're like a big time home cook and you're always behind the stovetop or the oven that you might know these, but maybe you haven't worked on them before. Maybe they aren't something that you've done yourself. So when you are cooking with souvve'ed, which has become much more known than it was in the past. When I first got into it, these souvied immersion circulators were twelve hundred and fifteen hundred dollars. Now you can get them for a hundred bucks. And the technology is probably more advanced in a lot of ways. But for those of you have heard about it but haven't used it, or maybe got one as a gift and hasn't haven't really used it, don't know what to use it for. Souvied simply means under pressure. The technique involves vacuum cealing food in a plastic bag and then you cook it in a water bath, but at a precise temperature. So basically you're poaching, but it's in a bag very very highly controlled temperature. In this case, you're looking within a I don't know, a tenth of a degree or something very precise. It's known for producing incredibly tender and evenly cooked results, especially with proteins like meats, fish, chicken can be fantastic, but there's techniques. Otherwise you don't do it right, or you do it for too long or the wrong temperature. Chicken could come out rubbery or mushy. It's kind of weird, but essentially it's this way. When we cook with heat, dry heat, we're pushing that heat into the food. And that's why when you cook a steak and you say medium or other, they say, okay, that's going to be a warm pink center or a warm red center and you go okay, and that means that the whole steak is not medium rare. The center is because the heat has to push from the outside to the inside, right, So five hundred degrees whatever you have the oven on, or if you're grilling, whatever it is, is pushing that heat into the center. Because the center has is the last thing to cook. And that's really the temperature that you're getting in the center, not around. It's stradations of you know, strata of different temperatures. That way well with souv it stays at a low temperature for longer periods of time, and that way kills the bacteria, but isn't overcooking. Now it comes out like a brand new baby. It's not pretty once you take it out of that package because it's been vacuum sealed and it doesn't have any browning. And then you take it out of that and then you seer it off to finish it off. You get the mayard reaction there and all that brown goodness. Brown food is good food, and then it's sweet perfection and it's a magical thing. But it does take some learning. There's a bit of a learning curve learning the temperatures and the times properly. But a lot of restaurants use this because you can hold a steak that means you can keep it in there all day at rare or medium rare, and if somebody says, you know, I'd like one medium, you just grill it a little longer, or if they want it medium rare, you just sear it off very quickly. And so when your steak comes quickly at a restaurant off it's times, it's because they're prepping them souv and they won't overcook because the temperature is low. It will never go above the temperature that you have it in. So if you have it in a one hundred and thirty five degree bath. It's never going to go above medium rare. It can't physically, so it's kind of crazy. It's a really neat process. More to come. Techniques that maybe you're not using at the house been around for a long time, a little lesser known techniques on Technique of the Week today, So go nowhere. It's the Fork Report on Neils Vidra KFI AM six forty heard everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the Fork Report with Nilsavedra on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Happy Saturday to you. I am thrilled to be with you, Nil Savadri. Here in the Fork Report, we're redoing the yard. We're getting a bunch of you know, plants and stuff. Looks like a jungle because they're not planted yet. They're just all out there. God bless the folks at Armstrong Garden Center. Not a sponsor, not a paid plug or anything like that, but they were incredibly helpful, just wonderfully helpful and had a good time picking them out. So it just made me up to you know, the happiness of looking out in the backyard and seeing all these plants, even though they're not planted yet so alrighty, So we're talking for the technique of the Week about a couple of techniques that maybe you're not aware of or don't use as much. One, and I hope I pronounce this properly, is uh in puppyl in poppilote m. That's what I'm going with. I think it's franche like quasthle, like if you're having a quaffle. But it basically means, you know, like envelope, and so you're putting it in a pouch. It's a pouch, and you can do it with foil, you can do it with parchment paper. And basically it's part dry heat in a way because you're putting it into the oven, and then it's part wet cooking because it's gonna steam itself as well. I do chicken like this, a chicken breast. One of the easy ways to do this for me, Gosh is a single man. I did this all the time. I would come home, I'd throw a chicken breast in parchment, I'd throw in gosh. I think craft has them a bunch of different you know, they have these dressings like garlic, herb or something. I'd dump some of that in there. I'd fold it up into a pouch or into an envelope of sorts, throw it in three hundred and fifty degrees for like thirty five minutes or something, and pull it out and it'd be perfectly tender, and it'd be sitting cooking in that And it's about as easy as you can get. You can throw it on you know, rice, peelof, You can throw it on anything and you're good to go. Put a side of of veggies there, and that's one of my favorite ways to cook. But I always just call it packet cooking or envelope cooking. So the real term is in beloatay, somebody's gonna scream at me for that. P A p I l l ote sorry, you talk prettier than I do. Bain marie or you call a double boiler is one of those things. It's a technique where food is cooked in a water bath, ensuring even heat distribution, but it's done in a container. That's how you melt chocolate as well. This is when you don't want to do heavy damage. It's also a way to keep something warm. When you have those chafing dishes they use that similar the warm water below, which keeps actual flames from touching and putting hotspots. It even keeps things even. And lastly, red cooking, which is a strange name for Chinese stewing because you think communism red. That's not what it is. It's a slow braising technique where where the food's braised in a red colored sauce and creates this very tender and lovely, low and slow type cooking to it. So these are just some things I want to share with you that we're a little different, that maybe you're not doing right now, but can up your game a little bit or add a little something to your palette there for cooking. All right, much more to come go nowhere Fork Report. I'm Nil Savedra, KFI AM six forty. Let's get the latest news now in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the Fork Report with Nil Savedra on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Happy to be with you. Handle just got his big green egg delivered. It's like a giddy like a schoolgirl running around. His wife, Lindsay just sent me pictures. It's ridiculous. Anyways, we're dedicating this show to the businesses the restaurants and the like that have been victimized by the fires. And yes, there are people that lost their homes and our heart goes out to them. But with that is an ecosystem, an ecosystem that works from the bottom up. And that means what I've said over and over before that going out to eat, buying food from local vendors is the cornerstone of economy in any town, especially in the Southland. So that means anything dealing with hospitality is a big deal. And so Kayla has helped along with friends of the show to look for people. In this case, it came from a listener and we love connecting with people. So we're going to want to introduce you to Rudy. Rudy is the owner of Gracia signor Man. Look at you and welcome to the show. Hi for having me. It's our pleasure. Now. Kayla was telling anybody that's been affected that's coming on the show, that's this is for you, not for us. It's very common for people to bring food. We didn't ask, we were hoping nobody would, but you did. And I ask this at the beginning, that we pay for it. I know a lot of people come on the show, and it's kind of an exchange. We taste the food and it makes total sense, but in this case we really we thank you for bringing it, and we're excited, trust me to get into those burritos. But in this case, we really want to take care of you. So I just wanted to really thank you in a time when you guys are I find your footing.
Speaker 2: I completely appreciate it, and I'm incredibly grateful and thankful.
Speaker 1: But this is kind of like what we do.
Speaker 2: We well, that's food, you know, you share it. Food makes people happy. And and for me to be able to provide some nourishment for someone something that I know it's going to be delicious, that you're gonna love, that's going to make me feel comforted.
Speaker 1: Are you saying I'm getting too thin? Are you worried? Seriously worried about this thought? That's very kind. I'm saying that I do it.
Speaker 2: We do it from from the bottom of our hearts with with great respect and gratitude for what you're doing, for for wanting to help us. And and if if you go to anywhere, any cook, any any restaurant, any people who works in the hospitality world, this is who we are. We we nourish people and we do it with all the heart. So if you if you could take my food and enjoy it place, that's very kind. That's that's all I asked.
Speaker 1: It doesn't it never gets all, does it to see somebody eat your food for the first time?
Speaker 2: Ever?
Speaker 1: Where tell us a little bit about the beginnings of your truck, and then we'll get to where you are today.
Speaker 2: So I actually started the truck with the with the goal of going to school. I was working for for a company before having the truck, but I was a non documented students, so I couldn't get financial aid and I couldn't really I couldn't get another job because I required legal documentation. But then when Obama created the DACA program, I was able to leave my other job, and I thought that was like, that was like the freedom that I wanted, that I needed, and it did provide a path for me to be able to do other stuff, but nothing like once I got out of that, out of that job, I couldn't get another job that paid enough for me to go to school. So I went to the drawing board and I started trying to think of ideas of what I could do to to pay for my education because you know, I don't come from like a wealthy family. My mom, you know, all her life she's worked cleaning like office buildings or like stuff like that, so she didn't really make a lot of money to pay for my school with no financial aid. So for me to go to school, I needed to find a way to make you know, enough money to not only support me, but be able to pay for my education. So I when I started the truck, it was when trucks started getting really you know, trying to get popular, and you know, I thought it was gonna be an easy, an easy, uh an easy it is sent to success, but actually was very tough.
Speaker 1: For the first two three.
Speaker 2: Years, I wasn't really making a lot of money, so I did put put school on posts. But eventually I built a rapport, I built a client base in the Palisades, and I was able to pay for school. I finished my degree in business administration from CALC to LA So that wouldn't have been able, That wouldn't have been possible if I didn't have my business. That allowed me a little more freedom or financial freedom, more like just freedom in general.
Speaker 1: When did you start cooking? I started cooking out four years old. Actually, my grandma.
Speaker 2: She the first thing she showed me how to cook was like scrambled eggs and uh and bacon uh. And that was my first time I cooked I so she showed me. The next time I tried to do it on my own, she wasn't with me. So I just I remember like putting a bunch of pots with like water all around the kitchen just in case I dropped something.
Speaker 1: And I started bringing the kitchen. I was like, there's something that happens. I'm just gonna Yes, I've always been a cautious individuals. You got pots of lot before you even cook anything. Hey, and you couldn't have been poor poor if you're putting bacon in there, because it's like Oevo's Conweni's is the story maybe, I mean like that's the first everywhere we laugh about it. You throw some hot dogs in there, and it's like the best meal in the whole world. All right, hag tyg. We're gonna talk more with Rudy when we come back. You can find out more at now are you pronouncing the s in both? Are you saying grassia signor or grassi? Okay? Yeah, uh so you can go find them on the web at g R A C I A S just single S Single. As for the Instagram handle E n O R dot com. It's the Fork Report on Neil Vadra k f I AM six forty heard everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the Fork Report with Nil Savadra on demand from KFI A M six forty.
Speaker 1: This is the Fork Report. Happy Saturday to you. A little rainy out there, but it's kind of a nice little change. Reminds us that there's still some a little springish rain out there, but a great day to be eating with friends and family after the the holiday of Easter. Today, we're kind of looking in to the people that were affected by the fires in a different way. We've heard about the rebuilding, which is still kind of a mess, lets be honest, they're trying to tighten that up in city hall. And yet there's people that may not have lost their homes or even their business in the same way, in the same sense, meaning that it's not ashes. However, it has changed the ecosystems out there in a lot of places in Altadena in Pacific Palisades are looking to find their audience again who you know their customers there that are dealing with these things as well. So we're talking to Rudy from Gracias signor a food truck and where can people find you now?
Speaker 2: So right now we're we're doing We're still doing Todays in the physic palaces. We're mainly focused in Brentwood on San Vicente between Montana and Bundy from ten to two thirty.
Speaker 1: Holysh smokes, just burrito is crazy? Now? Is that your main focus is breakfast burritos?
Speaker 2: No, that's just like that's just like what a lot of people really enjoy. But we started the truck like focusing on our tacos. We had handmade pressed her teas, everything fresh made the day of and that was our main focus. But a lot of people really enjoy a breakfast Britosh.
Speaker 1: This is for how many people? Just the one that's just the one? Oh my gosh, Like, how heavy is that burrito? I mean tacos, the tacos. I didn't even know there were tacos.
Speaker 4: I wasn't going to tell you, but there are tacos and they are phenomenal tacos. There are actually no tacos Kayler Rose, not Lie I'll share the tacos.
Speaker 1: I'll bring you a taco. Robin. Oh, listen to how you put out. She is the other one we you know. So m Rudy comes in. Bear's his entire heart about the power of feeding people, and you're hoarding. You took them for yourself. I was going to add, you showed people who you are today, kyleb. You showed them who you are. If you taste the tacos, you'd understand. Yeah, because this burrito is insane. Now this one is with with both beef and with bacon in it. So tell me how many. I mean, you brought a butt ton of food. So tell me about these burritos, and then about your menu. What would you like to know everything? I want to know what's in these burritos? What you know what's your best seller? All right?
Speaker 2: So, like I said, the breakast bridos are one of the more popular items are menu just I think I think the reason why that is is just you're just so comforting and you can you know, there's there's no wrong time for breakfast. So they're delicious, they're comforting, and they're just packed with flavor. They they'll definitely fill you up. So we try to keep things very simple. Just make sure that you know, our eggs are like silky soft delicious.
Speaker 1: Your ratios are on point. Yeah, that's super important for a breakfast brito to me and the taco and everything else. But getting those ratios right where you get a bite of everything and you have like a mild heat going just basic, and then you've got three sauces that you can up the ante if you want, in any direction for more flavor. And I like that because sometimes I'm in the mood for heat and sometimes I'm just not. And on its own, it's got a great little pepper heat to it. And I dig that that I can up that if I want, or I can keep it in that mode.
Speaker 2: We always sell people that our saucers are mainly for flavor. It's not too late burnered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for heat's sake. I've never understood that. You know, people go, you know, they just want to burn your tongue or something like that. Hey, you know what, can is it possible maybe to move our next guest a little bit, just to move things around a little bit? Can you guys stick around? Of course he talks more. All right, great, we're talking to Rudy from Grassia Signor. It's a food truck. They can find you can find you on social media as well, Right Book, Instagram, Facebook, all of that Grassia Signor and the food. I can't wait to dive into those tacos as well. But your breakfast burritos are bomb, man, They're very very good. All right, stick around. More to come. It's the Fork Report on Neil Spadri KFI AM six forty heard everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to the Fork Report. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty two to five pm on Saturday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app