Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI had KOSTNHD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's any King.
Speaker 4: It's five o'clock, straight up. Yep, it's that time.
Speaker 1: If you're still in bed, time to get up. If you're like me, you've got your oatmeal, you're ready to go. You got your coffee settling in. Got lots going on today. I know I say that a lot, but it's always true.
Speaker 4: Hey, did you watch.
Speaker 1: The Democratic National Convention last night?
Speaker 4: Here's my takeaway.
Speaker 1: Hopefully we're gonna be talking with Shannon Farron about this later this hour. She's supposed to call us before the top of the hour. They should have run Michelle Obama. I don't care what your politics are. That woman electrified that crowd. I think more than former President Obama. I mean, obviously he had got an amazing reception, but they lost their minds when she hit the stage last night.
Speaker 4: She's a great speaker. Producer. Anna and I were talking about it.
Speaker 1: There are some people who just hold a room, as she said, and boy did the Obamas ever do that.
Speaker 4: Here's what's ahead on wake up Call.
Speaker 1: Governor Newsom has delivered California's four hundred and eighty two delegates to Vice President Kamala Harris at the DNC. Newsom calls Harris a star who he has seen fight for criminal, racial, economic, and social justice for more than twenty years.
Speaker 4: Geologists say the.
Speaker 1: Ground shifting under Holmes in Rancho Palace Verdes is shifting faster and covers a larger area than first thought. The geologists who spoke at a city council meeting last night said a landslide by heavy rains earlier this year has the potential to threaten hundreds more homes. O. J. Simpson's estate executor says he needs to liquidate assets long time since. The attorney, Malcolm Laverne, says he needs to raise about two hundred and seventy thousand dollars to pay off some of Simpson's mounting debt. About one hundred and ten million dollars is still owed to the families of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman. Simpson died on April tenth of this year at six oh five. It's handle on the news Disney is backing down. It says it's no longer going to try to block a lawsuit filed by the husband of a woman who died after having an allergic reaction at the park.
Speaker 4: We'll tell you all about that.
Speaker 1: Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Former President Obama has given Vice President Harris a rousing endorsement for president. During his speech at the DNC, he said there's a difficult fight ahead until the elections in November, but Harris is worth backing.
Speaker 3: As president.
Speaker 5: She won't just cater to her own supporters and punish those who refuse to kiss the ring.
Speaker 3: Or bend the knee. Show work on behalf of every American. That's who Kamala is.
Speaker 1: Obama also took a swipe at former President Trump, saying he is a seventy eight year old billionaire who hasn't stopped whining about his problems since he wrote down his Golden Escalator nine years ago. The LAPD says it has found evidence of retail theft while investigating the murder of actor Johnny Wackter.
Speaker 6: As the executed sir to warrants and the Whacker case LAPD homicide detectives were joined by the department's Organized Retail Theft Task Force. Chief Dominic Choice says investigators believe they've uncovered evidence of thefts in LA and elsewhere.
Speaker 7: The same suspects have also been identified as engaging crime in the city of Lenox, Beverly Hills, Rialto and Ontario.
Speaker 6: Choi says the department is working to identify the suspects and these widespread retail burglaries. Four men have been charged in Wacktor's murder in downtown LA. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: A pre trial hearing in the federal tax case against Hunter Biden is scheduled to be held in LA this morning. The president's son is accused of failing to pay more than one point four million in taxes. The indictment alleges Biden spent millions of dollars on an extravagant lifestyle rather than paying his taxes. He's expected to go on trial next month on nine tax related counts, including three felonies. New vaccines targeting the latest COVID variants are due out this fall, but they may not be covered by your insurance. Coronavirus cases have been on the rise this summer, but the vaccines free since the start of the pandemic will no longer be reimbursed or covered by the government. The president of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Richard Besser, says that leaves a gap before the updated COVID vaccines are expected.
Speaker 6: If you have health insurance, I would recommend that you wait until the new vaccines are out. It should be a matter of weeks before those are widely available, and they should be more effective.
Speaker 4: He says.
Speaker 1: People who don't have health insurance can check to see if they qualify for health insurance in their state. Let's take a first look at your morning commute. Nick's got some slowing in Riverside on the ninety one morning Nick, Morning to Amy is the usual.
Speaker 5: Drill for folks that are making their way westbound right now, seeing those delays from Tiler and you make it way toward the fifteen.
Speaker 3: Actually looks pretty good through Corona right now.
Speaker 5: Maybe seeing issues right around on Main Street just past the fifteen. Looks like it may be a two car smash of in the two left lanes, But not too bad of a drive for you here, Just a little slow going from the fifteen over to Main Street and then delays for the westbound four years. You continue at through the Santana Canyon leaving Green River over toward the two forty one toll Road. You got an update on the issue on the ninety one or anything else slowing you down pound to fifteen yourself on keyword? Is KFI traffic northbound side out of the fifteen past Magnolia before the ninety one gonna be a crash involving a motorcycle. Looks like the two right lanes are taken away and that'll be busy for you to come away from Ontario Avenue.
Speaker 3: Checking in on your driving.
Speaker 5: Orange County looks like the vast majority of overnight count trans projects have wrapped up shop and not see anything major going down for you there, and pretty much the same story for the La County area as well well southern California.
Speaker 3: It's only airborne traffic reports. I'm Nick pouliyo'keaney.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Nick.
Speaker 1: It's fy O seven on your Wednesday morning wake up call. Let's say good morning to ABC's Geordana Miller. So, Jordana, we're hearing that the Israel Tamas cease fire deal that we thought was getting closer to getting agreed upon.
Speaker 4: Is on the verge of collapse.
Speaker 8: Well, let's hope not.
Speaker 9: I think there's still a lot of fevers soslomacy to make sure that that second summit in Cairo happened.
Speaker 8: In a few days.
Speaker 9: But it's clear that Prince yerd Anton's Lincoln maybe didn't link the headway he was hoping to on his ninth visit here to the region of the war broke out. He didn't have a day meeting with his early yds, and we heard from him that the companistters supported the US bridging proposal for the seat fire.
Speaker 8: And then the next day Natamielle.
Speaker 9: Reportedly told some believed families behind closed doors that Israel will not leave two key areas in the gout strips, that he wants to keep the IVF in these areas. One is along the Egyptian border, and that, of course, you know, contradicts the US proposal. And then Lincoln went onto Egypty's cutter. It's unclear for me any headway there getting him off back to the table.
Speaker 8: While hasn't really uh endorsed.
Speaker 9: The US Prijing proposal, they criticized it. They stopped sort of objecting it, but it's kind of unclear where they stand, and it's believe in attending of the round of talk. So I think there's a question mark here, you know, going forward, you know what's next.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Jordan, I think it's interesting that the US keeps saying, Oh, we've got to make a deal, we've got to get it done, and we're really really close, and we've got a lot of hope, and they keep saying that, But then we keep hearing from Israel, no, we're not moving off of that, like you just said, and we hear from Hamas, no, we're not backing down either.
Speaker 4: So I mean, is the US just blowing smoke?
Speaker 9: Well, I think there's a genuine intention to trying to buy an administration and the sectary of state to get a deal that will end the war, bring the hostages out and begin the process of rebuilding Daza and shifting the leadership of Daza, you know, away from Hamas to a new Palestinian governing authority. I think the intention is pure, but the problem is that there are really political considerations on both sides that are preventing their coming out. And the head of Hamak yet because you are from cutting a deal, right, yes, or doesn't want to give up control of the Gaza stress to survive. He wants to stay in charge and this deal ultimately pass him out, right, he doesn't want that. You know, he has a little bit more pressure because there's two million people that are suffering, and largely because of his decision to start a war that uh, you know, most people there don't want. On the other side, the TEU, you know, to sign a deal, it's gonna really rock his coalition, likely bring it down and push the Tonneau out of power. Even if he finds a solution to get the deal going.
Speaker 8: After that, he brings in.
Speaker 9: The opposition the little also you know, holding no confidence vote and he'll be on his way out the door.
Speaker 8: So fortunately, you know, those considerations are trumping, if you will, the other really urgent reasons to you know, end this war.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so what's next?
Speaker 1: They keep they hopefully keep talking in a couple of days.
Speaker 8: Well, we're waiting to hear about.
Speaker 9: The next uh, the next round of talks. He heard from an Egyptian Officially, Gasters say they believe three is going to be another round of talks Friday Saturday this weekend and that's supposed to be led by the CIA. T still burns, you know, and the head of Raily Fire Agency, the MAZA, so lets that they're still room for those negotiations to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, we will be watching. Thank you for the update, Jardana. We appreciate it a ton.
Speaker 8: Thanks may talk.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. And early morning fire in North Hollywood is left two people fighting for their lives. LA Fire says the fire started around two thirty this morning on West Sarah Street. Two people were able to get out. A sixty year old and a forty year old woman apparently were trapped inside the two story home. Three cats died in the fire. Firefighters were able to resuscitate and save a pet dog. Three other people were also taken to the hospital. A new online tool from a company in Redlands shows a homeless proximity to a wildfire ignition point and whether embers can reach the property.
Speaker 6: I just didn't realize that the fire was going to move that fast.
Speaker 3: I thought I had more time. Jeeth.
Speaker 2: Brian Phantasy says it's tough for him to hear such comments from homeowners who thought defensible space was enough.
Speaker 6: But absolute the hardening in some of these existing non conforming buildings, you're going to have loss.
Speaker 2: Ass Ryan Lanklass says homeowners can just enter an address into their Free Wildland Urban Interface tool to prepare.
Speaker 3: This is the first time I would say that families can really start to explore their home type in their address understand their exposure.
Speaker 2: In Orange County, Corbin Carson kf I News.
Speaker 1: A former Long Beach school safety officers pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter for the fatal shooting of an eighteen year old woman killed in twenty twenty one near Milliken High School. The former officer, Eddie Gonzalez, fired into the car Mona Rodriguez was riding in following a fight outside the school. A jury trial earlier this year ended with a hungury. Gonzales ended entered a no contest plea yesterday as part of a deal with prosecutors. He could get up to six years in prison when he sentenced in October. Russia says it has destroyed dozens of Ukrainian drones aimed at Moscow overnight. Ukraine has targeted oil refineries and airfields that passed couple of weeks. In an attempt to weaken Russia's fighting potential, Russia's defense ministry has formed three military groups to defend its border regions. ABC's Ian panel says Ukraine appears close to cutting off a large number of Russian troops trapped close to the Siam River.
Speaker 5: One Ukrainian source telling AGENCYDS there were more than a thousand Russian soldiers in the area, largely stranded after three key bridges were destroyed.
Speaker 1: Russian President Putin has promised to punish those he calls the criminals responsible. Putin accused Ukraine of trying to destabilize Russia. Gilma has become the second hurricane of the Eastern Pacific seas, and forecasters say the dorm is expected to stay away from land.
Speaker 4: Well, that's good news.
Speaker 1: Search and rescue divers are still looking for survivors of a luxury yacht that sank over the weekend and waters off the coast of Sicily. ABC's James Longman says one body's been recovered so far. Six people are missing, including two American New York.
Speaker 10: Lawyer Chris Morvillo and his wife Nedda Jonathan Bloomer, chairman at Morgan Stowley International, and his wife and the owner of the yacht, British tech tycoon Mike Lynch and his teenage daughter.
Speaker 1: Fifteen people were pulled to safety by a nearby boat. Jennifer Lopez has filed for divorce from Ben Affleck after two years of marriage. Lopez filed the papers in La yesterday, didn't use an attorney. The couple, known as Benefer, started dating and got engaged the first time back in the early two thousands. The couple split up, then reunited almost twenty years later and got married in several ceremonies in twenty twenty two. TMZ says Lopez listed the date of separation as April twenty six. There was no mention of a prenup. Always sad to see a couple breakup. Dozens of pro Palestinian protesters have charged a line of police in a standoff with hundreds of officers outside the Israeli Consulate on the second night of the Democratic National Convention in Chicago. Protesters chanted let them go as police officers handcuffed at least four people and led them away from the demonstration. Republican lawmakers in California have called on Governor Newsom to put an electric vehicle mandate on hold. A day after an electric semi truck caught fire. The Teslas Semi crashed into some trees and caused the closure of Interstate eighty. As firefighters work to put out the super hot, toxic fire. Newsom is mandated all big rig trucks be electric by twenty forty five. The City of Los Angeles has agreed to pay nearly twenty one million dollars to fix issues at the Hyperion water Reclamation plant and complete projects that are linked to the discharge of millions of gallons of wastewater into Santa Monica Bay back in twenty twenty one. At six oh five, it is handled. On the news, Ukraine continues to put the bear unleashing a drone attack on Moscow. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Mike Dubuski. So, Mike, this doesn't happen every day. Google has issued an apology to whom and why.
Speaker 3: To influencers and because of an email that was sent out to those influencers last week after the launch of the new Pixel nine smartphone. So normally, what happens in a scenario like this is before the phones go on sale, phone manufacturer will send out some like early units to reviewers and to influencers, basically so those guys can get their content in order, their reviews, their videos, what have you to have ready to go out ahead of the on sale date so that buyers can make presumably an informed purchase if they're looking for a new smartphone. This is how the industry works. It's how it's always worked. Everybody does this. However, with regard to this most recent email that was sent out again to a team of influencers they go by Team Pixel, this has caused some consternation based specifically on the language of this email. So the email was obtained by the Verge and what we found was that Google threatened to cease the relationship between the brand and the creator if that creator was found to be preferring another phone over Google. So essentially what Google was saying was, if you guys are going to do a comparison test here, the pixel better win. Otherwise we're not going to give you any more pixels ahead of time. This obviously created a lot of backlash in the group with some high profile influencers, with millions of followers leaving the Team Pixel program, and as you mentioned, it did prompt Google to apologize, saying that the language missed the mark. They also said that they don't specifically run Team Pixel. It's a third party PR agency that they have a relationship with that does that. But even still, amy it's brought up all these questions about what an influencer's role is. Are they a journalist who you know, adheres to a set of standards, or are they something more akin to a paid advertiser. It seems like they've really found themselves in the middle, and that is kind of what why this blew up.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I have a question.
Speaker 1: So the influencers you said, they get phones and that kind of stuff, and we know that that all goes on that. Then you want to get enough followers so that people will start sending you products and you can endorse them or test them whatever. But other than that, the influencers are not getting paid.
Speaker 4: Is that correct?
Speaker 3: No, that that's correct. So this particular group of influencers, you know again they are are part of this Team Pixel team, which means that a lot of their content has the hashtag team pixel on it. So that kind of is a point in the paid advertiser you know category, But are they specifically getting a paycheck from Google? No, it does not appear. So so that's that's, you know, another piece of this, and I think this is important for consumers to be aware of because again, if you're you know, spending a couple hundred dollars, if not more than one thousand dollars on a new smartphone, which is what these new pixels can go for, then you know, you want to make sure that you're making the right decision. And how do you do that while you go to trusted experts and these influencers. You know, some of them are really great, right, Some of them are informed about this and knowledgeable about the space and can give you some good advice. Others might be tempted away by just the access to this interesting new technology. And I think that's an increasingly hazy line that is out there, that that is just you know, another challenge for consumers in the space.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm always worried about it because you see, you see the influencers doing stuff all the time. Every time you open up your social media and they're like, oh I love this, I love this.
Speaker 4: I'm like, do you really do you really? And I can't you know, you.
Speaker 1: Don't really know because it's no consumer reports, you.
Speaker 3: Know, exactly right. But then again, I mean you see that you know, some of these influencers you know, have millions of followers, a lot more prominent than Consumer reports. Right, what is the easier piece of content, piece of information to access? Is it, you know, a video on TikTok or is it you know, the hard copy of consumer reports? So all chances are a lot of people are going to go to TikTok first, So that that that's a part of this as well. I think also from the influencer's perspective, it's a challenge because you know, if you're trying to garner a following, if you're trying to build your your base of supporters, well, it pays to have access to this technology early and to make content about it. This is an easy way to get in there, right, team pixel where you're kind of expected to post, you know, somewhat positively about the brand or about the company. You know, that gets you in the door, right, It gets a foot in the door. But after a certain point, you know, where does it become just your your shilling for one specific company over another as opposed to, you know, actually doing some objective journalism, which again I want to emphasize, like some of these guys are really good at this. You know, Marquez Brownlee is a YouTuber, very prominent, one of the most followed YouTubers out there, you know, is very respected in the technology world. And you know, for his part, not a part of Team Pixel, not a part of this at all. But you know, he's can be described as an influencer. He's not doesn't align himself with n Gadget or The Verge or any of the other outlets that are out there, but many people follow his technology advice because he is a you know, smart guy with regards to that type of thing.
Speaker 4: So so Google back off.
Speaker 3: It's it's a tough scenario, right yeah. I Ultimately, Google back off seems to be the message that a lot of these influencers are sending to Google, and of course it's a mark against them in the lead up to this very prominent product, right this is kind of a you know, major piece of hardware for Google. The Pixel line really centers around the smartphone, despite the fact that they make earbuds and watches and all this type of thing. But yeah, no, this is kind of an embarrassment for Google, it seems, at least from the perspective of these influencers.
Speaker 4: Okay, so let's fine.
Speaker 1: Is this going to be an embarrassment Lamborghini's coming out with that hybrid?
Speaker 3: Well, this is actually Lamborghini's second or third hybrid, depending on how you count. So it's a in the industry. We've seen other high end sports car and supercar makers do this before. Corvette, for example, has a hybrid model. Ferrari also offers several hybrid models. The new Lamborghini Temorario debuted at Monterey Car Week in your state in northern California earlier this week. This is the latest small Lamborghini Amy. It is the entry level model, if that is something that we can call it at com one hundred and ninety thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: That's the entry level.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's the entry level. That's and again this is kind of their smaller model. It's a V eight as opposed to the normal V ten or V twelve that we normally see in Lamborghini's However, what we what is kind of adding to the power figure here is three electric motors that's what makes this a hybrid nine hundred and seven horsepower two point seven seconds to sixty miles per hour. And because it is a hybrid, you can use the front two motors, which are mounted on the front axle, to make this a front wheel drive all electric vehicle. So you can kind of motor about in total silence, maybe if you don't want to wake the neighbors with that nine hundred and seven horsepower. That's the idea. Lamborghini won't say for how long it will operate in all electric mode, but that kind of leads us to believe that it will not be for very long. This is, at the end of the day, a sports car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so here's my problem with this that you think of a sports car and you think of them revving the engine, you know, on the starting line or something.
Speaker 4: This one's just gonna go.
Speaker 3: Well. I mean, it's still got a V eight, right, so it does still make noise. Lamborghini and the lead up to this debuted a number of videos online kind of talking about the engine note and that sort of thing. So it's not like the electric motors are going to dull the sound of the V eight. However, given that this sort of category of Lamborghini. The smaller one used to have a V ten, which is a sort of bigger engine. It sounds a little different kind of whales as opposed to rumbles. That is, you know, a disappointment to some sports car fans that were losing the V ten, But you know that's the direction that Lamborghini decided to go in. And you know again it's it's a Lamborghini at the end of the day, and.
Speaker 1: For the bargain price of two hundred ninety thousand dollars. Okay, we've got like ten seconds left, but I want to mention this not all good. All new technology is good technology. You've got some fans of the new Aliens movie that are not happy.
Speaker 4: How come?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. So this is the seventh installment in the Alien franchise, debut this past weekend Alien Romulus. Spoilers for this movie coming up here. But there is a digital recreation of Ian Holme in this movie. He is the actor who starred in the original Alien film from the late seventies. He died in twenty twenty, and some fans are angry that this digital recreation perhaps disrespects the family of Ian Holme or just kind of looks bad, and he complained about the fact that it's just it's an unusual looking effect and our brains are of course attuned to human faces. Fede Alvarez, who is the director of this film, says he did get approval for Ian Holmes's family to do this, and that more people were employed to create the digital effect than would have been had they just hired another actor. So an increasingly fraught moment for Hollywood as they negotiate CGI artificial intelligence in the filmmaking space.
Speaker 1: Right, and it makes me think of things like from the Star Wars.
Speaker 3: From twenty sixteen. Peter Cushing was in the Rogue One movie, an actor who had passed away before that movie was filmed.
Speaker 1: Well, they even had like a shot of Carrie Fisher at the end of it.
Speaker 3: That is what Oh yeah, that I believe came later. But yes, Carrie Fisher also digitally recreated Paul Walker from The Fast and the Furious films. There was a scene several years ago in which you know, he appeared kind of using digital effects and his brother as sort of a base to help create that. You know, this is sort of an ethically unusual moment that Hollywood has found itself in. Some people like it right, some people like to see the old character's return, But you know, at what cost? Are the families okay with it? Those are the questions that kind of continued to hang over this issue.
Speaker 1: And I bet that it will continue to be an issue and we will continue to talk about it. Mike Debuski, thank you so much for the information.
Speaker 4: Have a great day you too, Amy, Take care.
Speaker 1: Governor Newsom has delivered California's four hundred and eighty two delegates at the DNC. Newsom calls Harris a star. Before becoming Vice president. Harris was a California Senator or actually a US Senator from California, and also served as California's Attorney general under former Governor Jerry Brown. The last evacuation orders for the fire that has burned more than four hundred and twenty nine thousand acres in Tehama County and northern California have been listed. Cal Fire says the fire has slowed in recent days as temperatures cool. It's fifty five percent surrounded. Florida Republican Representative Matt Gates is projected to survive a primary challenge. His challenger was backed by former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy from Bakersfield. McCarthy and Gates have been at odds since Gates led the charge to oust McCarthy a speaker last year. Florida, Alaska, and Wyoming all had primaries yesterday at six oh five, It's.
Speaker 4: Handled on the news.
Speaker 1: If you think the food you get for your baby at the grocery store is healthy, a new study says you've got another think coming at five point fifty KF. I's Shannon Farron is in Chicago and she's going to be on with us too. We're going to find out if she too was electrified by the Obamas and other tidbits from the Democratic National Convention.
Speaker 4: Amy's on it, AMI's on it, Amy's on it, Aami's on it. What am I on?
Speaker 1: I'm on the stream checking out movies and TV shows and series and documentaries. I'm really into documentaries lately. This one note not a documentary. And I've told you in the past that there's so much content you'd want to know how you figure out what to watch? And I take recommendations from my friends and then I pass them along to you too, and hopefully either save you some time or maybe entice you to watch a really fun show. This one I absolutely stumbled on. I had never heard of it before, and I was like, hmm, and I watched the little trailer for it.
Speaker 4: I went, ah, right, I'll give it a look.
Speaker 1: Turns out it's a series on Netflix called School Spirits, and it actually released last year. There's eight episodes of it, and like I said, I had not seen it or ever heard of it, but when ahead and watched it, it's about a high school girl named Mattie. She's played by Peyton List, who you're probably going to recognize from Cobra Kai which is the new season of Cobra Kai was out.
Speaker 4: So Mattie's dead.
Speaker 1: She turns up at her high school and all of a sudden, she's around these other dead students and they're all stuck there. She doesn't remember how she died, she doesn't remember who killed her, and that starts the journey of her to figure out who is the person who killed Maddie. The rest of the group's been there for like decades, you know, some of them for thirty years, some of them for sixty years, and then kind of dress in there you know their time period where they're stuck from and they're all stuck because they can't cross over. It's kind of an unfinished business scenario that you see in other movies.
Speaker 4: It is very engaging.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, and for me, at least, it kept me wanting to see what happens next. And I love when a show doesn't just sort of cruise to the next episode but kind of has those little mini cliffhangers that I'm like, yeah, okay, I'll watch the next one. So there's the boyfriend who cheated, there's the jealous friend, there's the mother who's a drunk, there's the janitor, and the janitor's always a suspect. Everyone's a suspect, but it's her job to figure out who actually killed her. So I was thinking that it would be wrapped up, that it was a one season thing and we would have the answer at the end of the eighth episode. And you do sort of get an answer at the end of the eighth episode, but it's a heck of a cliffhanger that leaves you with so many more questions about what happens next.
Speaker 4: In School Spirits.
Speaker 1: The good news is the series has been renewed, because as soon as the show ended, I was like, oh God, please tell me you haven't canceled this, because I gotta find out what happened. It has been renewed. It was released in twenty twenty feet three, but since I just watched it, I only have to wait until early twenty twenty five to get season two.
Speaker 4: I'll let you know when that gets out. So good watch. Intriguing, entertaining, and a kind of fun. Who done it?
Speaker 1: It's called School Spirits. It's on Netflix. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The Obama's electrified the crowd. To close out the second night of the Democratic National Convention, Former President Obama tore into former President Trump, saying reelecting him would be dangerous, while Kamala Harris will fight for the American people. Michelle said something magical was in the air with Harris bringing back hope to America. Vice President Harris's husband, Doug m Hoff, also spoke at the convention last night, telling the story of when he and Harris met in twenty thirteen, of the early phase of their romance.
Speaker 4: We talked for.
Speaker 3: An hour and we laughed.
Speaker 9: You know that laugh.
Speaker 3: I love that laugh.
Speaker 1: M Hoff says his wife is ready to lead if elected president in November. And we're planning to talk to Shannon Farren in just a couple of minutes. She's at the convention. We'll get her take on last night's festivities. Former President Trump has pledged to make America safe again.
Speaker 4: While campaigning in Michigan.
Speaker 1: He was joined by sheriff's deputy Chefter yesterday in the city of Howell. Trump criticized Vice President Harris, who was the DA in San Francisco and California Attorney General, calling her the ring leader of a Marxist attack on law enforcement across the country. A gun owner or a gun owned rather by a former LAPD officer that was allegedly used by armed robbers in Beverly Hills was not city issue.
Speaker 6: LAPD chief dominic choice, as ex officer Christopher Dorner's handgun found inside an Airbnb used by two accused crime tourists from South America was not Dorner's department weapon. Choi told the Police Commission yesterday federal investigators are still working to figure out how and where those two men got their hands on the gun. It was found in their airbnb when police were investigating a brazen armed robbery that resulted in a British tourist million dollar wristwatch being stolen in Beverly Hills. Dorner died in twenty thirteen during a standoff with police after he murdered four people following his dismissal from the department in downtown La. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Weimo has apologized again for its cars that keep honking in the middle of the night. It's been going on for three weeks in San Francisco. One neighbor's been live streaming of the honking. It's happening in a parking lot. A Weimo executive apparently joined one of the live streams to explain that the honking is a safety issue so the cars don't hit each other.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: The software has been updated twice, but apparently it only stops the honking for a short time and then it starts up again.
Speaker 4: That's really fun if you live next door to that.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers take on the Seattle Mariners tonight, with the first pitch going out at seven o'clock. You can listen to every play of every Dodger's game on AM five to seventy LA Sports live from the Gallpin Motors Broadcast booth, and you can stream all the games ind on the iHeartRadio app. Keyword is AM five seventy LA Sports. A status conference is scheduled today in downtown La in Hunter Biden's federal tax case. The president's son is accused of failing to pay more than one point four million dollars in taxes. His trial is expected to start next month. The Arizona Supreme Court has cleared the way for voters to decide whether there should be a constitutional right to an abortion. The measure would allow abortions until a fetus could survive outside the womb, typically around twenty four weeks, with exceptions. James Taylor says time constraints for the reason he didn't get to perform his hit You've Got a Friend at the Democratic National Convention. He says it became clear as the night went on Monday that there would not be time for him to perform.
Speaker 4: Right before President Biden took the stage.
Speaker 1: Taylor said it was still an honor to be at the convention for what he called a great and inspirational quintessentially American moment, Let's find out was Shannon Fahn. Was it really a quintessential American moment?
Speaker 11: You know, Amy, I was really hoping for shower the people. I was hoping that would be the James Taylor hit that we missed out on. I love a little shower, shower the people you love with love.
Speaker 1: Well, but showering the people with love were the Obamas last night.
Speaker 11: Oh my gosh, they brought the house down. I mean, I didn't think these people could be happier or more enthusiastic after Night one with Biden coming out here and that moment between him and Kamala and we Love Joe and just exploding with enthusiasm inside that arena. But then you bring in Michelle and Barack Obama, and nobody had a hard time staying there in that arena until eleven thirty midnights for Night number two. Michelle Obama the most powerful speech I think of the night, saying that you know, we cannot be our own worst enemies. And it was a stark contrast actually to the last convention that Gary and I covered back in Philadelphia eight years ago. I mean, when you think about the Democrats eight years ago, they were fighting each other. We had Bernie Sanders fans crying because they felt that Bernie Sanders was standbacked. You had people, as Conan Nolan told us yesterday from NBC four, you had people pro Hillary or pro Bernie people leave the convention center to go to the bathroom, and pro Hillary people swoop in and take their seats so they couldn't come back. This is a different party. This is the part that appears to be unified.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, and you mentioned Bernie Sanders too.
Speaker 1: I thought he was kind of a low point of last night with how electric the Obamas were, and he was.
Speaker 4: He just came across like a grumpy old guy.
Speaker 11: Well, I would agree with you, except that Bernie Sanders has been screwed over by this party repeatedly, but still shows up for them. Yeah, I find something.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, and then what are some other takeaways because you went to it last night, because I know the first night you said you stayed in bed and watched Biden because it was so late.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I did that again because we were just on News Nation, and so we had to get up at like two am your time, Pacific time to go to the television station. So it just wasn't a tenable situation to stay there until you know, midnight last night. So yeah, we watched those speeches on television.
Speaker 1: Okay, And as we've talked about with radio, the lovely thing about radio is you don't have to do hair and makeup, so you had to get there extra early.
Speaker 8: Yes, we got there extra early.
Speaker 4: They said, what do you you know?
Speaker 11: I sit down in the making chair and they go, what do you want us to do? I was like, I have no idea. I haven't worn eyeshadows since the last time I did television, like five years ago. So you just have at it it fun Yeah, yeah, good.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: So yesterday I heard you talking was former Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot.
Speaker 4: What was your takeaway from that one?
Speaker 11: You know, she was really human. She was a down to earth politician. I don't agree with her on many things, but it didn't matter. She was just she was a really nice person and very small, very small, very tiny. The thing with her in our conversation, the takeaway was that she said that when she was mayor of Chicago, she had several conversations with Donald Trump and that he was always so nice to her on the phone, like they were old buddies, but then in public he would bad talk her and call her by name and call her different names and things like that. And she said, but you know, that's just who he is. But I thought it was interesting that he was so nice to her when the two would speak privately. You know what.
Speaker 1: I think one of the interesting things that you hear is, Oh, they're they're really great in some regards, and then they'll turn around and backstab you. And that's not who they are, or that is who they are. I'm like, they all lie in backstab they're politicians.
Speaker 11: You're exactly right. They don't get to that level by being honest with everyone. You know, a friend all is a friend to none, and that's exactly what politicians are.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I also heard that you talked with Dean Phillips yesterday. Any revelations from that.
Speaker 11: Gosh, the revelation was I found a politician I actually like. I mean, he was one of the first ones to blow the whistle about Biden two years ago, saying there's something amiss here. He went to an event with Biden two years ago. He said that he could tell that there was just a decline in the way that Biden was able to communicate, and he was the first one to say, hey, we need a new candidate, and a lot of Democrats turn their back on him and just completely buried him for saying so. And now you look back and how prescient. I mean, he was the first one calling for this. And I said to him, I go, are there a lot of I'm sorries you were right at this convention. I'm surprised you're here And he said there have been He said, I won't name names, but a lot of people have said that to me.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what do you have coming up today or do you not know ahead of it? We know you're going to be there, you'll be on the air from nine to one, But do you know ahead of time who you're going to talk to or do they just come by and offer them up as you go?
Speaker 11: Yeah, we just grabbed people that we see walking by. Usually as how it works, it's a lot of up in the air. We will spend time today talking about fundraising. There's kind of a battle between Kamala Harris and Donald Trump terms of who's raising the most money right now where that momentum lies, because as we know, the money plays such a huge part in it, especially down the stretch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then tonight Clinton is on this mister former President Clinton is on stage.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's going to be Tim Walls, it's going to be Pete boot Edge Edge, It's going to be Bill Clinton. And I'm forgetting somebody, So Nancy Pelosi.
Speaker 4: It's fine if you forget her. Kidding, I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Shannon. Wait to listen to this show. It's from nine to one.
Speaker 1: Gary and Shannon right here on KFI live from the Democratic National Convention. Thanks for taking time with us today. I bet you look beautiful with all your TV makeup on.
Speaker 11: Oh you're sweet. Thanks Amy see soon.
Speaker 4: Shanna looks beautiful anyway.
Speaker 1: That was just you know, that was just me saying because I know that they they primp you if you're going to be on TV.
Speaker 4: But Shannon's gorgeous. Anyway.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the twenty four hour newsroom. Secretary of State Antony Blincoln has ended his latest trip to the Middle East without a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas he warned yesterday that time is of the essence to reach an agreement. ABC's Britt Cline says various challenges remain.
Speaker 7: One is redly official, accusing Naknyahuo of sabotaging negotiations. Hamas dismissing the proposal, accusing the US of aligning with new conditions imposed by Israel which cross its red lines.
Speaker 1: She says Hamas is demanding Israel pull its forces out of Gaza. There are still one hundred and nine hostages, including eight Americans, being held by Hamas. Pica Rivera says its new solar program removes barriers to clean energy while saving homeowners up to sixty percent on their electric bills.
Speaker 3: Not just households, but also commercial users.
Speaker 2: Pika Rivera Councilman Eric Lutt says the city's nonprofit Prime program offers solar panels and a Tesla battery for one hundred and fifteen dollars a month, plus the cheaper energy costs without credit checks or installation fees.
Speaker 6: Knowing that your bill is go going to be significantly.
Speaker 3: Lower while your neighbors are seeing their bills go up, this is something that you don't have to complain about. You provide a solution for yourself.
Speaker 4: He says.
Speaker 2: Lancaster and San Jacento are the only cities in Socau with a similar program. In Pico Rivera Corbin Carson KFI.
Speaker 1: News, Beyonce is getting into the whiskey business. Queen be unveiled her Sir Davis whiskey brand on Instagram yesterday. The brand's Sir Davis name is a nod to her great grandfather, whose first name was Davis, and her son, whose name is Sir. The whiskey is available to order on sirdavis dot com. It's about ninety bucks a bottle. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom.
Speaker 4: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday or Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.