Speaker 1: With the Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: This is your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details. With Lucky Landslots you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 3: Mari, Sorry we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo when we lost track of time.
Speaker 4: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than any guess registered in lu case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary boid. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply.
Speaker 3: See for details.
Speaker 4: Hell, hello, it is Ryan and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day. Couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumpbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free, anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's your brighten your day, Lowe actually a lot, so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 3: You'll be necessary detail. Oh I lost in terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 1: Wait the Lucky land Slots. You can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's five. But we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by law eighteen plus and conditions applying to see website for detail.
Speaker 5: You are now listening to True Murder The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zupansky. Good Evening. Peter Curtin, a German who had been sent to prison for deserting his comrades, sat in a cell contemplating what to do when he got out. He had no control within the prison wall, and it drove him mad. The things had happened to him while in custody unlocked oppressed sadistic feelings within Peter and forced him to unleash a level of sexual deviancy on innocent victims in and around Dusseldorf, Germany that no one will ever forget. Young girls, women, and men would succumb to horrific attacks, including being bludgeoned by a hammer and stabbed to death. In several instances. Peter admitted to drinking blood from his victims and needing the act of rape and murder to reach orgasm. Oddly, the man lived a double life and his love for his wife drove him to turn himself in. Had he not done so, the monster would have continued to keep the country locked in fear for many more years. The books were featuring this evening His Monster, The True story of serial killer Peter Curtin, with my special guest journalist and author and detectives C. L. Swiney. Welcome back to the program, and thank you very much for a great into this interview. C L. Swinney, Hey, good morning.
Speaker 6: Thanks for the second invite. I had a lot of fun last time, so I'm hoping we can duplicate that success today.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, this is not taking anything away from list of ten. This is one of the most infamous and notorious killers in true crime history. It really does fit the bill as one of the most shocking killers in true crime history. Let's get to the reason why, other than this incredible case itself, Why and how you came to be the author of Monster?
Speaker 6: Well, he's this story is about Peter Curtin. And I've been kind of I've done nine to true crime books now, and I kind of do books that are in the United States or feature serial killers from the United States, and then I do something from Europe, specifically around the UK. So I was in the process of finished one book and starting up a new case, and I started doing some research for one of my other books and this name Peter Curtin kept coming up. The thing that kind of grabbed me about him was he's known as the Vampire of Dusseldorf, and that kind of piqued my interests. So that's what started it was just the title that the media had given this serial killer back when he was apprehended and when he started investigating his cases. So you know, serial killers and themselves fascinate me, but one called the Vampire of Dusseldorf really kind of caught my eye.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. Now, as you're right, in your book you opened with one of the crimes, one of his first heinous crimes. But let's maybe go backwards and talk about his early life. And you say he was born in moheim, Rhine across from Cologne, Germany, came from a big family, eldest of thirteen and a poor family. Tell us about his father and the family life that he experienced.
Speaker 6: So Peter is one of those guys who I believe his environment, specifically his socialization at his family environment was a very contributing factor to how he ended up becoming. But his family. He was one of thirteen. Two of his siblings passed away during his young childhood. So that alone would be tough for a lot of people to handle. When when you're a young child and you lose two of your thirteen siblings, you know, it's just hard. Death is hard on any of them. But Peter's environment was actually made much worse by his alcoholic and abusive father. His dad was terrible. There's no other, you know, definition that I could think of, except for he himself was a monster. So he was an alcoholic and he's abused his wife in front of the kids. He would be her. Peter would would see this, he would try to stand up to her, but the father was way too strong and way too violent for Peter to do much. You know, when he's he's in his teenage, he's you know, he started seeing this when he's around ten, and through his young teens, he's trying to defend his mom, but doesn't work out. He ends up kind of flowing the target, if you will, of his dad's rage from his wife or from his Peter's mom to him himself. And so his dad starts physically and verbally abusing Peter. But in one particular incident when Peter was about thirteen, kind of changed things for the family dynamic. Peter's father was actually arrested for having what they called we used to call it incest, but he Peter's father abused his own daughter and he got arrested and convicted for that. And when he left to go to prison, Peter's mom took the rest of the plan and they kind of separated and moved to Dusseldorf. So that that was the environment. So you can imagine growing up young, losing to your siblings. You have an abusive and alcoholic father who then ends up raping his own one of his own daughters and goes to prison. So that was the home life, if you will, that Peter was exposed to.
Speaker 5: You also talk about, and I think we should include them because it's another good example of some of the shaping of his character. You talk about when he goes on a camping trip with two other boys, tell us about this life.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's when the creepiness for me in the case starts to come out, you know, for the red flags if you will, that we talk about you know, today out things you see that clearly makes people wonder. So Peter's on a Peter gets invited to a camping trip. During that trip, they were doing a lot of canoeing, and at some point on the second day of this camping trip, Peter essentially throws a kid overboard. And Peter had experienced a growth spurts, so he was a little bit bigger than the rest of the other kids in that camping trip, and he was physically stronger than all the kids, and essentially he throws this kid overboard and makes it appear as though he's trying to rescue the kid, the victim, but he ends up holding the kid down underwater and basically drowns him. So that was that had to be an indicator of things going wrong. But Peter was very manipulative. He was already starting to learn how to manipulate people. So as that story came out, when they got down to the spot they were supposed to meet up with the adults. You know, Peter had convinced the other kid in the boat, hey, this was an accident. We tried, Yeah, yeah, we tried. He started making himself cry, and they told this story to the adults and they ended up rescuing or retrieving the body of the child victim. But that was the first thing. So we know now that he had held the kid down and killed it and murdered this you know child or young child like he was, but he had convinced the adult that it was an accident, and that to me was the big red flag. There'd be events that follow that time, but that was the one that was like, okay, we you've got, you know, some serious issues here with this child.
Speaker 5: Now, I don't know if this is according to and me can tell us who this is according to. But at you say, when they moved to Dusseldorf, every boy is looking for a male figure, an adult male figure, for influence, and so he needs somebody that doesn't beat him. But he's the local dog catcher. So tell us what the local dog catcher is interested in and how much on what he influences young Peter to experience.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So, so source wise, this comes from from Peter himself, from his statements, including a court documents and prison records. So that's where the sources for this story. But it comes directly from Peter himself. Peter was very proud of what he had done and become. So he was very open with his information, which is to me a little bit spooky to hear that. But so, yeah, he runs into a local guy. He's a dog dog catcher, you know, decent, decent job and anale, a male, an older male, kind of not necessarily a father figure, but like maybe an older brother. And he starts hanging with this guy quite a bit. So he's not hanging with his or kids his age. He starts hanging with this dog catcher. At some point, the dog catcher starts saying, hey, won't you, you know, come with me. Maybe I'll kind of show you the the ropes if you will. Peter's yeah, yeah, he's he's all for it. Unfortunately, this dogcatcher was an also despicable human being. His deal was he used to torture and then kill many of the animals that he would catch, and at some point he started talking about getting Peter to do so. And Peter his claim is that he resisted the temptation, if you will, to kill or torture the animals, but at some point he basically it admits to getting involved with torturing and killing the animals, but it doesn't stop there, so for me, that's that's too much. But he continues. The dogcatcher starts showing him beastiality. So these animals they start having sex with, and again you have to sit and wonder, you know, how Peter's mind was working and how this dog catcher had convinced him to do so. But you know, we know Peter killed a child on purpose when he was a few years younger. Now he meets a dog catcher and he's he's murdering and killing these dogs and then having sex with these animals. You know that that's a recipe for disastery, that there's no way somebody normal would do that or come of that kind of childhood, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Not just to be graphic, but I think it's important since I got you to say where this source was and is from Peter himself, and we'll talk about more of what Peter has to say about his own life. But one of the features of this of the dog catcher and then of course of Peter being influenced by that, is that that they have a particular feature involving the slitting of the throat and then tied into the sexual orgasm. Can you tell us what that is because later we won't talk about why it's important, but people will understand why that's so important in this.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So when he when he was experiencing these beastiality things of the dogcatcher, he clearly and proudly told the court because he had a he had a short trial was only ten days, but most of the trial was pretty much Peter just having the floor and it just you know, the way he talked, his charismatic way, and what he was saying was so fascinates everybody. He's pretty much held the court and one of the one of the things he liked to do was when he would drop a little bombshell on somebody when he was speaking. He liked the reaction. He kind of craved the reaction of people when he dropped these little bombshells and then he would add to him and every time he would add to it, seeking more kind of attention. In this scenario, when he told the court and the people present and reminds you there was a line of people trying to get into this this trial, even even back then. He then noticed when he said beastiality, that the people in the courtroom are you know, repulsed and and and afraid and scared, and he continued with that. So what he advised the court and later the dog catcher UH testify to and he was also arrested. Consequently, after Peter turned himself in was they would also less slight uh slice the throats of some of their animals, and for for several times the dogcatcher would mimic as though he was like sucking the blood of the neck of these these dying dogs or dead dogs, trying to convince Peter to do it. Well, Eventually, like everything else the dogcatcher had done, he convinced Peter to give a try, and they both kind of talked about when he had that first taste of blood, Peter kind of craved it and kind of got off on it and had a sexual tie to it where he could almost ejaculate from the sense of the animal's blood. So he actually would suck the blood from these wounds. So it was another example within that whole disgusting story of the Dogcatcher that just somebody somewhere should have known, but only people knew her were Peter and the Dogcatcher.
Speaker 5: Let's skip ahead to nineteen fourteen and you talk about he was in Kaiser's army. He joined willingly, but regretted that decision. So tell us what the conditions were that he joined and why he would regret the decision and what was that outcome of that decision.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so he he did join the military. He did so, you're right, he did so willingly, but he was looking forward to kind of causing mayhem. He wanted to murder as many people as he could. He had fascinations in his mind of what he would do to these people if he was on the front mines, if you will, and what he could get away with legally in his mind. But the structure of having rank above him ordering him to do stuff did not sit well with him at all. From a young age, once his dad was arrested and taken away, he kind of was in control of his own destiny. In his mind, he was in charge and he did what he wanted to do, and so when he got into the military world, he did not do well with having others ordering him around. He just basically was bleed. He was in charge of himself and nobody could tell him what to do, and when that became too much, he basically deserted. So Peter left the military. Obviously, you know, when you enlist and you're involved in military, you're not allowed to do that. And Peter, Peter, he doesn't care. Laws and structure don't don't exist in Peter's mind at this point in his life. So he makes a run for it, but he's he basically doesn't go on the run. He just basically walks away. That comes back to the to the higher ups in the military. They go look for him. He's where he said he would be, you know, kind of challenging them, like you know, what are you gonna do about it? And they pick him up and they they take him to a military prison for being a deserter, and that starts a whole new chapter of anger in Peter's mind.
Speaker 5: You talk about the seven years he was in prison, what was his behavior in prison? And tell us about his behavior in prison.
Speaker 6: So as you know, you can imagine if you go from the structure of the military, of everybody telling you what to do, and you're you're upset about it, you don't want to do it, so you so you walk away. Well, you know these German prisons around that time frame, you know, in history were probably much worse as far as structures concerned. So Peter thought he had it rough when he was in the military, but now he's just he's in the middle of probably the worst in his mind, what he would attest to is the worst time of his life, the worst period of his life. And when somebody says that, and you know their their history of the physical and mental abuse from his father, the losing of his siblings, the murders, you know that he committed as a child, the bestiality and all the other stuff. And now this guy says being in custody is the worst time of his life. That's saying something, and it shows you how deeply it impacted Peter. But his statement that he gave to the court and two investigators when he turned himself in in this case was that the primary reason he became a serial killer was because every single day, every hour, and every minute he was in custody, he wanted to make people pay for him being in custody. So he sat in those cells, figured out how he wanted to kill people who he wanted to kill, and if they ever let him out of a cell, he got in trouble. So he actually caught two more years of incarceration because he was like a you know, and that's why we used the term monster for the story. If Peter got out of his cell, he would attack or try to kill an inmate or staff member. So this was like a caged animal in this prison. And eventually he gets released.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you talk about his stay in solitary confinement, which he kind of liked because he hated he thought he was superior to others intellectually and socially, especially the people in there. But interestingly too, he seems like he can adjust. And he gets out and he doesn't tell his sister about his military prison stay or the result and tell us through his sister. She lets him stay in Altenburg near Dresden. What happens as a result with his sister and tell us who he meets.
Speaker 6: So he goes. So Peter gets out and he kind of like, you know, a lot of times when people get out of jailed, there a lot of times we're looking for a fresh start.
Speaker 5: If you will.
Speaker 6: And Peter, Peter had a lot of time to think, but he also kind of missed his missed his family life. Like he would kind of on the piphery, he would kind of to keep tabs of his family, you know, the remaining people in his family. And so he looked up and tried to reconnect with his sister, and you know, she was she was glad, super glad to welcome him back into the house. And she's like, you know, hey, Peter, where have you been. And Peter just said, well, it's been out and about. You know, he didn't really explain what had happened and and how his mind was working. So he's talking to his sister as an older brother would to a to his sister, but his mind's already kind of moving forward as to you know, when when is he going to start killing He's not, he has no idea ideations of killing his sister, but he's thinking about it. And then he ends up meeting a girl, which was she became an intricate part of this whole entire case. So he needs his wife to be proposes to her quickly. She says yes, and they start, you know, they're married couple. But interestingly enough, his wife that he proposed to was also a murderer, unbeknownst to Peter. So this gal was on the altar and was supposed to get married to Osla and he no showed he left her at the altar. This lady tracks down her her fiance at the time, and kills him for leaving her out the altar. She goes to prison, she serves her time, and then she gets released and she's out in the world and ends up meeting Peter Curtin. Can you imagine. I mean, it's kind of bizarre. You know, two murders that are on the earth and they bump into each other and they end up getting married. So it was pretty wild.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hello, it is Ryan and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses that' sho brighten your day Lowe actually a lot, So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 3: You'll pursonesses every voidver hebla lost e terms conditions.
Speaker 4: Eighting plus Hello, It is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over at the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumba Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumba Casino's home to the hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com to claim your free welcome bonus. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com and live the Chumba.
Speaker 3: Lanti prisinonesses every void wver heyl losty terms conditions eighting plus.
Speaker 5: Now tell us about their marriage after this, you know, let's let's put it this way, uncommon union. Let's what was their marriage like and what did he do for work? And just tell us about what the marriage was characterized by.
Speaker 6: So they had a you know, a unique marriage is how I would describe it. They weren't intimate with each other, so that was kind of odd to me that he was married and there was there was no intimacy there. But Peter lived two different lives. He was a a quote unquote family man with with his wife. He put food on the table for her. He actually held a job and became kind of like a union rep for for various factories nearby, and people liked him. People rallied behind Peter. He had that again, that charismatic way about him where you would want to follow this man. And so he provided for his wife. He got her a place to stay, he took care of her. I mean, he cared for her quite a bit. He loved her, There's no doubt in anybody's mind that he loved her. But he lived this second life. As he was married, or when he was married, he started collecting victims women, young girls or young women. You know that we're in the area that he started murdering. And so he would live a life of a murderer. So he was killing women on the side, if you will. And then but when he was doing it, many of the murders were related to a sexual desire. So we talked about how he wasn't intimate with his wife. He needed that intimacy or recall it. We talked about earlier that he often needed violence to reach to get aroused and to reach in ejaculation. He needed pretty much death or ultimate control over something to reach that. So he's not having the relations with his wife, so he's getting it from these women that he's preying upon on the streets of Dusseldorf and then murdering him and then coming home and putting a sack of food on the table and they make dinner and they hang out. So two different, extremely different ends of the spectrum.
Speaker 5: You right, we'll just go backwards just a bit, but just to show the escalation that he didn't start off a killer right away. While he did, but I mean, in between nineteen twenty five and nineteen twenty eight, you say that he attacked four women, but he had sex with their unconscious bodies, but he didn't kill them. And then on February third, nineteen twenty nine, he spotted a woman named Maria Kohon. He followed her, grabbed her, stabbed her wildly, but he wanted her to survive and to be able to tell police. You say he stabbed her twenty four times. So tell us about these attacks before we talk about his escalation to murder.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So that particular case with Maria That's an interesting one because when I say that, when I say that that he wanted to get caught by police or he wanted her released to talk to police, that's not uncommon. There's other people that I've wrote about who would do things to try to get law enforcement involved. Herbert Mullen comes to mind from Santa Cruz. I wrote about him, and he did things to try to get law enforcement's attention Edmund Kemper used to do stuff to try to get law enforcement's attention and actually called him from a payphone and turned himself in and stuff. So what I'm saying on this one with Maria was that he easily could have killed her, and he wanted he was enjoying a cat and mouse game with law enforcement. None of the victims that survived could really describe him very well. There was obviously media sensation everywhere every newspaper was even this case from Germany spread to the United States.
Speaker 3: It was so so.
Speaker 6: Uh it will be a good term. It was just it caught everybody by by storm. We have wars going on across the continents, and then we have this guy in Germany they assumed was a guy, you know, praying on these women. So Peter, he's working night shift. I was telling you he was working in a factory. He comes out of that work shift for that day thinking I need to basically I need to kill somebody. He's looking for that and that release if you will, and that's what he he called it. But he's he's she's a lady. You're right. Her name was Maria, and he grabs her, a whole her. He does the whole attack if you will. He stabs her numerous times. I think twenty four was the number that you had quoted, and I think that was close. But Maria actually she actually gets away. But and what's interesting about Maria was her memory of the event was a specifically of her attacker was pretty good, and the police were excited because not that she was attacked, but that they were starting to get a little bit of a lead going for their their case. But after she explained to them what he looked like, her attacker looked like. Unfortunately, he looked like you know, the majority of the men in that area at the time, so it was kind of like, not not that big of a league basically for law enforcement. But Maria was pretty persistent with the police about hey, you need to need to catch this guy. You need to you know, this is not good. And she was kind of kind of aggressive with law enforcement, which was good because they were kind of running in circles. They didn't have much to go with. So that case kind of or that attack with her kind of opened things up a little bit because she would give them pieces, small pieces of her attacker. And then eventually she's like, hey, I remember meeting this guy, and she tells the story from beginning to end and actually ends up taking where police to where she thinks she was raved by this guy, which also opens up the case.
Speaker 5: Now, while the police are still investigating, you talk about Rosa Oliger eight years old, and now you're right that Rosa's parents were aware of the attacks and Dusseldorf, but they led her outside the play one day to tell us what Peter was doing at.
Speaker 6: That time and what he does. Yeah, so you know, you can imagine like this, this is something that happens in all societies or all cultures where there may be certain events going on. You know, in this case, there was a serial killer praying on children and young women. Whereas a parent, you know, you keep telling them no, you keep telling them no. But at some point you just you know, hey, okay, go go outside for a little bit, and you keep an eye on him and keep an eye on him, and you're watching him like a hawk, and then you get diverted, and then that's when fate comes through and scoops up your child or you know. It doesn't happen a lot, but that's kind of how this one went with Rosa. So her folks want her, they allow her to go out outside of the house. Peter had already been kind of watching her from afar this. He had seen her before when he was going to work, so he was kind of like a a hunter of these these victims of his and he saw an opportunity. So Rosa being you know, a young young girl, she's like fresh out of the house. She wants to go checks the out. And if you have children, you know that they can disappear in a heartbeat. So she she wanders off a little too far from the front of the house, and Peter was already in that area and within seconds, uh, he he sees her, scoops her up and covers her mouth so she can't talk, and then he takes her away just just a short amount away but into a brush area, and he chokes her out, chokes her unconscious.
Speaker 5: And how what does he how does he proceed?
Speaker 6: This one's a rough one man. So he ends up stabbing her, and he stabs her in heart, in the neck, and this is a I mean, it's hard to talk about, but he ends up having relations with her sexually, and and you know, it's that whole thing of taking you know, control of this this victim and what he needed. But he had an orgasm after he was attacking her, basically, and when he stabbed her in the neck, he had hit an artery that wouldn't wouldn't she would have survived, not no matter if anybody had even found her at the moment it happened. But so she almost died instantly, which I don't know for for me, the whole scenario just you know, happy that that's how it went. But he was actually this was one of the ones where this case was used in court to talk about he wasn't mentally experiencing any issues or he wasn't psychotic because he felt in this one that somebody may have seen him. So he he tries to dispose of the evidence and he ends up. He ends up having some gasoline in his pocket and he covers her and he likes her on fire. So it's one of the more gruesome murderers that he committed. But it also showed that Peter was not crazy. He knew that there would be evidence, and he knew that police would be looking for him, and so he was trying to cover his tracks. So that was one of the more gruesome, one of the more terrible attacks that he had done in this string of attacks.
Speaker 5: Why I wanted to mention this one too because it does set up his moo and his signature and also conveys in this crime what a lot of these psychopathic were. Many of these psychopathic killers would like to insert themselves into an investigation in their narcissistic sense that they want to be involved in a very curious with the entire thing on the effect on other people. So tell us what he does to be able to do this? At the crime scene, he goes to a tavern, So tell us about what what does he do?
Speaker 6: Yeah, and this is the second time he would do this. So what Peter does, and we briefly talked about earlier, he kind of rolled the courtroom and needed to be the center of attention. But he enjoyed the chaos and the strife and the drama and all that stuff. And so when he one of the reasons he lit her on, you know, his victim on fire Rosa was because he had already anticipated going across the street to a tavern and drinking some beer and watching police. He had a strong hatred for law enforcement, which kind of stemmed from all his contacts as a youngster. He just didn't like them. They were the law, and he didn't like the law, and so a lot of hatred for them. So in this particular incident, he actually goes across the street and starts drinking beer and watches how this whole discovery of this young victim plays out. At one point, uh he he he starts playing like a little cat's mouth game with what he perceived to be a rookie officer and ends up having an actual discussion with an officer just right outside the crime scene. And uh, this officer was young, he was a rookie. They had a little bit of a discussion, and that officer was brought to court and he was just kind of stunned that he had actually been speaking to a serial killer, and the guy was just so cool and calm. But when they separated one the officer had no idea that during that discussion Peter was thinking of killing him, but he didn't see an escape route at the time, so he let he let that fascination go. But he actually thanked the officer for his time and trying to console him about this this terrible that occurred that, of course Peter had caused. And Peter replied with, I hope you get that son of a bitch, you know, so he's toying and taunting law enforcement. That's kind of how Peter's mind worked.
Speaker 5: But that was you talked about, right. You talk about this carnage here too, and the Dusseldorf residents demanding answers. So as you write in a book, describe really the outrage and the panic that ensues from this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this was this whole incident was so there was some attacks and there was some murders, and there wasn't just Peter killing at this time. There was other murders occurring in the area, but this particular one, especially when the media caught started printing on the covers of their newspapers, you know, the vampire has struck again, the vampire dusel dwarf, you know, and painted the picture of what they saw at these crime scenes. And these were just just brutal, gruesome crime scenes. And it was almost all females, young girls like Rosa who was eight, and girls that were in their teens, late teens and early twenties. So nobody was really safe, and so the whole public was caught between being fearful from living in their own town to demanding answers from the police. And many times, you know, I'm in law enforcement, and I tried. I'm big on accountability, especially you know, in twenty seventeen, it seems like that word is kind of a buzzword in law enforcement about officers should be accountable too, and I agree with that, and oftentimes I'll point out when law enforcement has done things wrong and we try to work around it and learn how to do better. But in this case, the police were investigating these murders, but they had no leads. And you have to also appreciate that we're in twenty seventeen right now. Nineteen twenties and thirties, there wasn't the same tools to investigators that we have now. They just they weren't there. So, you know, investigating a eight year old victim that's been burned and murdered behind some bushes in nineteen twenty eight, you know, is different than doing it in today's you know, twenty seventeen. So the police were upset and furious too. They had nothing to release to the media. They had no sketches, they had no descriptions of the suspect other than they believed him to be male. So you had a community rising up saying enough's enough, and a police department and investigators saying, we agree, but we don't know who are chasing. So the sentiment and the anger was everywhere. The people were outraged, and in this particular incident, it was that six day period where a woman was found stab which was Maria, and then this young girl was found murdered, and the residence demand answers but they couldn't get any. And so that's where it started to get to a point where where kind of like vigilante justice was coming, where the men of the community were like, if they see anybody touching a female at all, they're just going to kill him, you know, kill him on site. And the police like, no, we can't do that either. So that's how bad it had gotten and how frustrated the residents were. Meanwhile, Peter Curtin knew all that was happening, believed he was orchestrating it all, and could not have been happier of the complete control in his mind he had of that entire community.
Speaker 5: You right, that just to throw a monkey wrench into everything, he kills a man named Rudolph Sheer February fourteenth, nineteen twenty nine, five days after Ross's murder, and this is in the suburb suburb of Dussel Dwarf. So tell us as quickly what happens with this? What do police find before we talk about further attack?
Speaker 6: So he so, yeah, this was the one male and this is was not a person that Peter gave many details about. But Rudolph was a cabby and he ends up picking up Peter. And it's kind of unclear what exactly prompted this this attack by Peter, but essentially he he stabs Rudolph numerous times and ends up killing this guy and leaving him in his cab on the side of the road, and then a bicyclists finds him and so, but there was a couple of little things that law enforcement picked up upon. So they call out an investigator. It's a male that's been killed, not a female, and so they start trying to piece together what happened there. But there was no connection between a male victim a cave if you will. Police assumed some type of a scuffle broke out about the fare and the costs for that ride, if you will, and so they did not think it had anything to do with these females that were being killed, and so they weren't connecting him. They weren't in devestigating as though they were connected. But it was really kind of another contact with law enforcement and Peter though, and that was kind of kind of strange because in this case there's a lot oftentimes with serial killer cases, there are serial killer serial killers like you talked about, who come back to the scenes, who monitor what they've done and how it's being played. But Peter was actually communicating with these law enforcement people like he would actually have conversations. He would he would try to say that he was here to help. But at this scene where he had killed this guy, he comes back, you know. We talked about that and Peter introduced himself to a detective. He knows he's a detective, he's seen him in the community before, and he talks to this this detective about this case. That one point, Peter's considering again trying to kill this detective because he has no The only person Peter cares about is himself and then his wife, but she's so distant from the story, it's it's kind of strange. So he wants to introduce himself to this detective and he starts telling him about what he thinks happened at this murder scene, and the detective is kind of fascinated by what Peter's telling him, and he's like not One thing that gets the detective is that Peter is examining the scene verbally with the detective in a manner of which this detective believes that Peter has some kind of law enforcement background, so he actually asked him if he was a copp or not. And Peter's like, no, no, no, I'm not a cop. I just what I kind of you know, what I'm seeing, you know, and then he just calmly walks away. So again another run in with law enforcement at a murder scene that he had created, you know, pretty wild.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, and then you talk about in February to August nineteen twenty nine, again he resorts back. He randomly attacks women and young children, but he doesn't kill them, and he switches his weapon of choice from knife to hammer, and he used a rope to render some of these people unconscious. And then we go to to August fourteenth and Maria Hewn, which is eleven years old. So before we talk about that, we're going to stop just for a second, Chris, to talk about our sponsor for this program tonight. Now, Blue Apron is the number one fresh ingredient and recipe delivery service in the country, and Blue Apron's mission is to make incredible home cooking accessible to everyone. Blue Apron achieves this by supporting a more sustainable food system, setting the highest standards for ingredients, and building a community of home chefs. Blue Apron has established partnerships with over one hundred and fifty local farms, fisheries, and ranchers across the United States, and as a result, seafood is sourced sustainably. Beef, chicken, and pork come from responsibly raised animals, and all produce is sourced from farms that practice regenerative farming. Blue Apron can be delivered to ninety nine percent of the continental US now it's affordable for less than ten dollars per person per meal. Blue Apron delivers seasonal recipes along with preportioned ingredients to make your own delicious, home cooked meals. You can choose from a variety of new recipes each week, or let Blue aprons culinary teams surprise you. Recipes are not repeated within a year or so you'll never get bored. Customize your recipes each week based on your preferences. Blue Apron has several delivery options so you can choose what fits your needs, but there's no weekly commitment, so you only get deliveries when you want them. Each meal comes with a step by step, easy to follow recipe card and pre portioned ingredients and can be prepared in forty minutes or less. And there's a freshness guarantee that promises every ingredient in your delivery a rise ready to cook fresh or they'll make it right. Upcoming Meals featured. Upcoming Meals four new ones, but I try two of them myself personally. The Creamy shrimp rolls with the quick pickles and sweet potato wedges. I never would have thought of putting anything like this together. If I saw this on a menu, I say wow. I put it together myself and it was fantastic. It really was fantastic. I couldn't believe I put it together myself, and it was very easy. The second thing I tried was the fresh Bosl fettuccini pasta with sweet corn and cubanel pepper, when I didn't know what that was. But that's a Cuban pepper. It's kind of a sweet pepper. They call an Italian frying pepper. Anyway, these are unique combinations and incredibly fresh, unique flavors, and I made it myself. Gourmet cooking and I did it myself. Anyway. Check out this week's menu and get your first three meals free with free shipping by going to blue Apron dot com slash murder. You'll love how good it feels and taste to create incredible home cooked meals with Blue Apron. So don't wait, that's blue Apron dot com slash murder. Blue Apron a better way to cook now, Chris, we were talking about Maria hun eleven years old. Police don't even know this woman's murdered until they get a letter sent to them, to a newspaper and the police. So tell us about this incredible case and what Peter Curtin does in this.
Speaker 6: So with this young girl, she was eleven years old, another younger victims on the younger side for Peter. He kills her and but doesn't leave her out in the open, kind of kills her in a location that's a little bit off the beaten path, but nobody locates her. But he This is the kind of beginning the streams of him starting to really toy with law enforcement with these letters. He would send the same letter that he sent to the newspapers as he would send to the police. I kind of think of the Zodiac Killer, if you will, who who also did that quite often during his case and the change you mentioned briefly the change and weaponry and stuff and how he was doing it, And that's because he was bored. He testified that he just grew tired of stabbing. He wanted to see what happened to the his victims with rope and strangulation. You wanted to see what happened with hammer attacks and various things he could use to murder his victims. So that tells you, you know, how far his brain was deteriorating, and how many people he had killed already, that he's getting bored now with what he's doing. So he sends a letter to the police about Maria and leads them to where her body can be found. So she was killed in August and they find it find her remains in November. But there was an inspector, the leaf chief inspector for the Ducesdorf police name was Ernest Jannant, and he had been keeping tabs of this entire case and he had an opinion that one person was doing him. And with this Marina case, uh and some of the other cases where he was finding similar patterns in the manner in which the victims were killed. He also found a footprint at two of the different locations for different homicides. In this this case, he believed and started convincing his coworkers that there was one person responsible for everything. And that was kind of a unique concept in the the you know, the twenties about serial killers. He was not the first, obviously serial killer, but it was just something that the police didn't want to come out openly and say because they were already dealing with the public that was was was so fearful of their situation. But this inspector Ernst, he just started putting together like a folder and started collecting data. And it kind of started with the letters that they started getting from Maria and then little pieces of evidence. But what the evidence was good for was to convinced law enforcement that it was possibly one person doing them all.
Speaker 3: But that was it.
Speaker 6: It didn't give them any other leads. It wasn't like they collected a piece of hair or a strand of clothing or a fingerprint or something like that. They didn't have that kind of strong evidence. But again, it was kind of helping move the case forward and getting everybody in the community on the law enforcement side together on the same page, which was helpful in this case as it plays out.
Speaker 5: You talk about a burrow of Dusseldorff August twenty third, nineteen twenty nine, and this story is this case, this incident is demonstrative of his ability to be charismatic and for people to trust them. This is a case of Louise lens En and grew Trude Homaker fourteen years old and five years old. And you talk about an annual fair, and Peter Curtin is there. Tell us about these two young girls and their fate.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and these are two of the other My thing is, I've been in law enforcement for seventeen years. I have a soft spot in my heart for crimes with children, and so again, this is one of those ones that I had a really difficult time gathering information and putting it on paper. So these two girls go to this annual fair. It's a well, it's one of the things they really look forward to as children because ones older, least is older. I think she was the older girl. She's kind of like bringing her sister along, and so it's a family thing for the two girls. But as the fair starting to break down and the two girls are getting ready to go home, Peter Curtin is at this fair looking for a victim, and he doesn't see these girls right away. In fact, there was other girls that cause attention, but he was being more selective at this point because he didn't want any evidence left behind. So he's floating. So you can imagine it's just for me. It's a very eerie thought of a serial killer going to a local fair where he knew there would be hundreds of kids and searching continuously for victim one victim, and in this case he ended up getting two. So that to me is just kind of really eerie. But he ends up seeing those two girls and he starts getting excited. And the girls are heading home, and they're using the back alleys because they know the shortcuts to get home, and Peter, who was a master at his game of murder and stalking and tracking people, he gets in front of them and materializes out of basically the shadows of one of these back alleys and talks to the to the girls, and Louise was fourteen, and he basically asked her, hey. He gives her a couple of dollars and said, hey, would you go get some cigarettes for me? And Louise is like, you know, it does not seem to be interested in doing so, but eventually he you know, she does have some extra money in her in her hand. She knows that it's too much for the cigarettes, and she was hoping to maybe pocket the lower remaining bit of money. I mean, at least that's what Peter thought her mindset was. But she ends up going and so she leaves her sister there believing and her mind that Peter is. You know, he's an adult. You can trust an adult, you know. Once she clears the alley way goes goes out of sight, Peter grabs Gertrude and basically has his way with her. He strangles her to death, and he made mention of that when he squeezed her neck so hard that he thought her eyes might pop from her skull. I mean, that's how a month of much of a monster Peter was.
Speaker 5: But he chokes her.
Speaker 6: Unconscious, and then unfortunately, he takes his knife, and he had several pocket knives, but he always had a knife on him. He slides her, slices her throat and obviously killing her instantly. But he he did not have, you know, any kind of sexual relation with with Gertrude, but he just basically disposed of her body. And then he walks back out into the alleyway, waiting for the weeks to come back. And she comes back. She's starting to see that her daughter, her sister's not there. She's not sure what's going on. And Peter reaches out his hand and asks her, hey, did you get my cigarettes? And she's she kind of nods and before she could have any more time to try to calculate where her sister is and what kind of danger she's in. Peter grabs her and does the same thing. He chokes her out, but he then when she's unconscious, does the sexual stuff with her. He fondles her body, he reaches orgasm, but then like his like her sister, he's the same knife to slice her throat and kills her as well. So it was a very kind of terrible situation of fate, if you will. These girls are trying to walk home after this really nice fare and they run across a serial killer. So it was a bad, super bad scene. But this is one of the ones where the police thought, after they investigated, that they find these girls and they think that there was some bite marks near where he had sliced the throat of Gertrude, and that's was kind of furthering this whole vampire thing where they thought the suspect Navy had drank some of his victim's blood, and then Peter confirmed in court later that he had He actually had tasted her blood.
Speaker 5: So it was.
Speaker 6: This one was for me the most gruesome of all of his killings because it was a young child. The sexual thing the slitting of the throat thing and then actually tasting her blood. It was just almost too much, almost too much to talk about.
Speaker 5: Now you talk about two days after Louise and Gertrude were found, which was a day after they were killed. There's a perceived break in the case. And so tell us about this Johannes Strasburg and what happens in this case.
Speaker 6: Which one was there an I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: We're talking about Johannes Strasburg and and what happens with He's he's attacked a couple of women, and so then tell us what happens with in this investigation tied to those other attacks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so Strasburg was he was also attacking people in that area, and but he suffered from epilepsy and police kind of didn't think that he was the guy doing these murders. But when when they were getting when offers was getting desperate, they sought him out and located him after he had was accused of a pretty violent attack on a on a girl named Penny and another girl named Flake, and Strasburg without hesitation when police said, well, okay, you attacked these girls. Did you attack Rosa that we talked about or even Rudolph the Cabby Strasburg said yeah, I did. And so at first police were excited because they're like, holy cow, we may have caught her killer. But one of the senior detectives at the time and they call them investigators there, he said, well, why don't you describe to me, you know, how you killed Rudolph, And he didn't really have the ability to explain it. So then he asked him, well, how did you kill Rosa? And again he could not explain.
Speaker 5: How he.
Speaker 6: Killed Rosa either. So they started to wonder and decided, I don't think so, I don't think he's the guy who killed all these people that we were worried about. Because they also went and talked to her Strasburgh's mom and tried to get a sense, and they tell the mom tells police, yeah, my son told me that he killed Rosa. But that's all they had. So they had a mom saying, yeah, her son told her he killed this girl, Rosa. They had Strasburg, who had met very dramatic mental health issues, saying that he did it, but he couldn't explain how or when or any of the you know, the nuts and bolts, if you will of these murders, police started to believe that he wasn't the killer, and eventually Strasburgh's actually sent to an insane asylum. And it was not the end of the story though for Peter Curtin, because attacks continue to happen. Police did not believe Strosberg to be the suspect of all these murders, and it just kind of kind of took the wind, if you will, all the sales of law enforcement because they were hoping and praying that they had to kill her and Cussy. But when he was in court, when the case was investigated from Strasburg's point of view, and then he was sent to an attain asylum and attacks continued, they knew that they were on the wrong path.
Speaker 5: You also talk about August sixteenth, nineteen twenty nine, Gertrude Schultz and she had met Peter after her work ended, and again his charisma, he says, hello, you are very beautiful. Tell us what he does when she doesn't reject where she rejects his advances.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so he was very aggressive with her. She was also attractive and used to being hit upon, you know, men constantly hitting on her, and was an attractive male too, so but he was super aggressive with her, and he basically just comes out and says, hey, let's go have sex somewhere, and Gertrude, you know, kind of gets a nasty look on her face and is like and replies, I'd rather die. And you know, she had no idea obviously who she was talking to and and she had was kind of repulsed by this this guy just never met him before and demanding to have sex with her. So she she turns him off, tells him no, turns her back to him, and Peter calmly responds, well, you know, she says I'd rather die and turns her back, and Peter says, well die then, and he attacks her with a knife again with that he always had a knife on him, but he did not kill her, and it was he didn't have an explanation totally as to why he didn't kill her. But this was an attack that was in broad daylight. Many the other attacks, Peter had alley ways, bushes, the cover of darkness, things that he could utilize to his advantage while trying to commit murders or committee murders. This was a particular attack that was in broad daylight, and he I think what happened there was he didn't feel like he would get away with it if he stabbed her or slit her throat or something. He was okay with the attack, but not wanting to get a murder with this particular incident, so he did not kill her or finish the job if you will. But again, she's found, please show up. She's found, and she tells police she doesn't know who the guy is, and she describes an attractive male adult same height and weight and hair color is ninety nine percent of the people in the community. And again police were furious because they had no leads. But this was the one that pushed the residents signed to the boiling point where they were at the law enforcement headquarters. They were tracking down officers on the street and demanding what are you doing about these attacks? I mean, the police were in a spot where they were getting close to losing any control that they had of that town and what was left of the minimal amount of control they had. Because the residents with this particular attack, specifically another female, but this one being in broad daylight, just that was it. Everybody was on edge. Everybody demanded answers, and then it was kind of like, imagine a community just kind of walking on eggshells but really close to exploding, and that's where they were after that attack.
Speaker 5: It's incredible too. The carnage continues, and you talk about September sixth, nineteen twenty nine. Ida wrote her and she's third teen, She's found dead in a field, sexually assaulted, beat with her hands and fists. So he deviates from the other attacks, and you say, this is one of the most violent of the murders he's committed. And then an even more uncontrolled panic ensued, national international news. People wouldn't allow their children outside. Then there was one month of no killing, and then you talk about October twelfth, nineteen nineteen twenty nine, Elizabeth Dorry eleven years old. We have to just unfortunately to skip ahead to be able to take advantage of this only ninety minutes talking about this. But what is the You talk about the case that where a woman escapes Peter Curtin, but then she writes a letter to her friend. So tell us about this event that slowly, or at least a lot more quickly than it has happened, leads to Peter's demise.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so we we did go over a couple just roal briefly, a couple of other attacks and murders, but the one that kind of broke open the case, if you will, was the attack or the sexual assault of Maria Budlick. And she actually she is you know, she's a houseworker, if you will, and she ends up coming looking for jobs. She's kind of unemployed, so she's trying to find a job and again, you know, his fate would have it, she bumps into Peter Curtain at the train station, and you know, he immediately is attracted to her. He immediately decides that he is going to probably try to seduce her and kill her. But Maria has a sense about her over the months and years of these attacks that this guy seems a little bit off. She was the only one to have that hesitation, and so she she's looking at this guy. He's being kind to her, and but she's she's nervous. So she's in her mind thinking is this the is this the vampire? And she's like, no, this this man that she's talking to at the time, who we don't know who he is in the story yet, but he's like, hey, there's nothing to be afraid of. He's trying to you know, trying to convince her to go with him. Right, Well, another man kind of comes out of the shadows and basically asked Maria, hey, is this man bothering you? And Maria is like yeah, and and she kind of eyes the second man, but she's kind of like hinting what's her eyes and looking over at the first man, saying to this second uh, you know man, that this uh, this, this guy's bothering me. And so the second the second man, uh looks at the first and there's some words are exchanged, and very easily, the second man has convinced the first man he needs to leave. And so this man, the second man, becomes to the hero if you will. Well, that second man was Peter Curtin. So you can imagine the first man was looking to you know, the first guy was probably a bum and probably a disgusting person, but nothing in comparison to uh, to the first or the second guy, which ends up being Peter Curtin. So they you know, obviously, Peter's like, hey, you know, sorry about that, and maybe I can help you out. Where do you need to go? What's going on? And he starts, you know, working with with her. She's trying to get to a certain location. Peter's like, I know that's that you know, let me let me take you there. Unfortunately, he kind of diverts and takes her out into the woods. This this girl Marie is like, oh, now I'm in another croppy situation, if you will. And Peter's like, hey, you know, basically, hey can I can I have you mean? Meaning can he have sex with her? He's attracted to her as well, and she basically doesn't want to have sex, but he forces upon himself on her and rapes her out into the out in the woods. He thought basically that was his payment for rescuing her. That's kind of what he would talk about in court. But he so so now she's stuck. She's with this guy who has just raped her. She's just this young girl looking for a job, if you will. And he he then takes her like hey, he feels bad, kind of takes her back to his place. Well, he takes her back to a place that nobody knew about in this story, which was like his second part of his second life. So he's still during this whole time, he's still married with his his wife, but he had this little flat, if you will, where he was doing stuff that you know, nobody wants to talk about. So he lets her go. Maria's she's let go. She she was raped by him, but let go. Well, she Maria writes a letter and tells her friend about everything that happened and describes it in great detail. But this this girl that she wrote the letter to takes it to the police right away, like, hey, my friend's been raped. This is where it went and the whole details. Well, police spent a lot of effort because they feel like it's it could be related to this this vampire case. So they go searching for Maria. And that's when Maria is like, hey, this did happen. I'll show you where it happened. Not the woods, but I'll show you the the the flat or the apartment of where it occurred. And they she takes them there. They get into the house without a warrant, which you know today would be all bad, but back then that's how it worked. And as their police are looking around that flat, Maria and Peter across paths. So Peter, unbeknownst to him, he comes back to his flat after being out and about doing his own thing, he sees the inspectors sees Maria, and he just turns and walks away. Maria is so struck that she can't even talk. Eventually she's able to communicate and get out voice because she's so scared of this guy and tells the inspector, Hey, he's just you know, my attacker, that guy he just ran down the stairs. Well, Peter was really gifted at escape and he just disappears. So they were close, police were really close. But now they have this flat, They have kings in that flat that can help identify them who the who they believe the vampire is. And then that broke the case wide open. That was the key to the case was Peter firmly believing that his identity was done, that the police now knew who the vampire or the ducid or vampire, whatever you wanted to call him was, and it caused him great concern, so he had to go talk to his wife.
Speaker 5: Now he turns home, he knows that the police are tightening their noose around him and it's just a matter of time before he's apprehended. So you talk about this dichotomy here, this reaction from this psychopathic killer that has no remorse and has no love for anyone. But you talk about his wife, and so you what does he tell his wife about Maria Blick? And then what does he do as a resultant? What does he try to establish to her? What does he try to formulate a plan for her? What is that plant?
Speaker 6: Yeah? So he he he convinces himself to tell his wife the whole thing about Maria, and he confesses that he he attacked her. He leaves out all the other attacks. But his wife is she can't believe it. She's in disbelief. She cannot believe that her husband would attack somebody like that. And he basically says, hey, look there have been they've been offering money to catch me or identify me. My plan, you know is is I want to turn myself in. And his wife's absolutely against it. She says, no, I think you should. I think we should, you know, commit suicide. I think we should just stop.
Speaker 2: This is it?
Speaker 6: You know I killed somebody in the past. You you've attacked this girl. We shouldn't be on this planet together, So let's commit suicide. Well, Peter's too proud to do that. So Peter convinces her, Hey, that's not going to happen. What I want to do is turn myself in because you'll get the reward money. Or I want you to turn me in so you get the reward money because I won't be here to take care of you because I'm going to be killed for my crimes. I know that I'll be killed, So you know, can you do this? And she takes a couple of days. The police are scrambling trying to figure out who this guy is. They have their strongest leads, and meanwhile he's trying to convince his wife to turn him in. Eventually he convinces the wife to turn him in. She goes down to the police station says, hey, you know, my husband, Peter Curtain is the vampire killer because in the course of trying to convince her to turn him in, he has to give up everything and he confesses every crime that he did to his wife. So she's now like, holy crud, Wow, he is the guy. So she says, hey, Peter will be tomorrow at church. Uh, you know, send a lot of people and he will turn himself in and lo and behold. The next day, they police set up around the church. He's supposed to be there at three o'clock, nothing happens. Uh, they think they think it was three o'clock, but it turns out that their watches are off a little bit because precisely at three o'clock. They described it as a pleasant looking man just strolls into the church and everybody's you know, staring at him, and he kind of winks at them and says, hey, there's no need to be afraid. And it turns out that was how the case broke out, was Peter convinced his wife to turn him in and she was going to get the reward money. So it was pretty pretty, uh, pretty interesting how this thing played out.
Speaker 5: You talk of him being charged with nine murders and seven attempted murders, and in court he was secured into sort of a makeshift cage and the grizzly exhibits on display were the skulls the victims, rope, knives, scissors, and two hammers, a real shocking display. But before this, you talk about before the trial, he had requested, once arrested, to talk to the I guess prestigious Carl Berg, doctor Carl Berg and the author of The Saddest As You write a book about interviews with Curtin. So, as you write in the book, what does Carl Berg get to hear and what does Curtin tell Carl Berg.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they had they had numerous, you know, hours upon hours of discussions. Anybody who wants to get a good sense of the psychological, complete psychological makeup of Peter should check out that book. I mean, it's just the notes in and of themselves in great detail. But he Peter feels like a connection to Carl and tells him, you know, he confesses everything to him, and he kind of wants to see if you can get a rise out of out of him, and so they exchange stories and he's trying. What Carl's trying to do is determine He's already convinced himself that there's some type of psychological issue or mental health issue with Peter, and so he's trying to get enough data, if you will, from his interviews to prove to the court that Peter's crazy, if you will. And Peter catches on to what he's trying to do and kind of toys with him for a while, but eventually he convinces, you know, Carl that he's not crazy. That he chose to do this stuff on his on his own accord, and there was nothing psychologically wrong with him, which was kind of a shocker for Carl for that, for that time frame, for what had everything that Peter had done to just do it because he just just because, you know, the answer was just because you know, because he was mad that he was he was incarcerated for fleeing from the military. It just didn't sit well with Carl. So it was it stretched Carl's understanding of humans and it was kind of an interesting case for him as well.
Speaker 5: Now let's talk about the trial itself, and what was most interesting about this is that he actually made statements and testify that trial. So tell us about that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's well, this was when for Peter the case really started, because he wanted to relive all the murders that he created, that he had committed, and he he every person in the courtroom, the judge, the attorney, the media, and the people in the courtroom held onto every single breath Peter took and he just absolutely enjoyed ruling the courtroom. And so he would at length go into detail each murder and confess, you know, to everything that he had done and how he toyed with law enforcement and why he killed each one and how he killed each one, and you know, it took ten days for him to describe in great detail what he had done or this this killing spree. So it was it was you can't really put a title on how the courtroom was because it was the first time somebody loved his nature would talk about it openly in court and with such great detail. But what really upset the people in the courtroom was he appeared giddy, He was happy. He enjoyed telling everybody how he had killed these people's community members, friends, families, and relatives. So the public was sensationalized by what was going on. But they also are very, very angry and could not wait for the judge to find him guilty and have Peter be exposed to the guillotine. So he went from ruling the courtroom to everyone in the courtroom wanted to kill them themselves. It kind of because of his his attitude and this lase fare of yeah, I killed all your friends and family, so what, So it kind of backfired for Peter a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yes, he was more than candid, and it was interesting to you talk about his final statement in court and then the judge interrupted him, didn't.
Speaker 6: He Yeah, so Peter would just take over to the courtroom, you know, and he he had very he had a lot of outbursts, but he was he was in the middle of one of these tirades where he was talking about the drinking of the blood and stuff that he had done on a couple of his victims, and the judge just judging everybody in there was like they had it, he had it. He interrupted them and basically told him off. You know, if you can say that in court, you know, he just basically told him to be quiet, remain quiet. And Peter just truckled and kept on going. You know, he didn't care. And he was in a cage environment where they couldn't just get into that cage quickly and they couldn't cover him up, they couldn't cover his mouth, and so he just kept on going. But his when he started talking about other killers and how he was hoping to reach the same numbers of some of these other killers in the history, the judge just basically demanded that, you know, stop that, you know, stop these remarks, he said, you know, because Peter was going down the line of saying something along the lines of man he called it, and Honting, but he was kind of glorifying a case the doctor Wolf and the woman. He called it, the socialist doctors, and they were accused of killing or through abortions, over five hundred babies. And Peter was getting excited and aroused talking about the murders and the death and the judges.
Speaker 5: I was it.
Speaker 6: Slammed the desk and said that's it. And then they finally got into the cage and got him and you know, twisted him up and took him out, you know, out of the courtroom.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was sentenced to death. That didn't take too long. Ninety minutes later, guilty on all counts, sentenced to death for each murder. What you have in the book is that you open, interestingly enough with a murder. May twenty fifth, nineteen thirteen. And Peter Klein is at a bar where he's outside a bar owned by Peter Klein. And he's a beginning arsonist and a prolific burglar, you say, and he's looking for people to rob. And then you tell about a ten year old girl Peter Klein's daughter Christine, tell us about this and tell us why you think that it was such a long time between murders, which is again very very unusual.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that first one was kind of peter out in life, trying to make it and he was a burglar and kind of a shyster, and he would, you know, he's looking always for a quick buck and stuff. And I think what happened with that particular incident, and we'll just briefly hit it. But he stumbles upon this girl. I don't think he meant to go into that tavern. He went in there steal stuff. I don't think he went in there to kill anybody. But he saw this young girl, she was ten, and in the course of doing his burglary, in trying to steal stuff from people in this establishment, he stumbled upon her and he just snapped something about the something. I don't know if it's from his childhood or from the scenario or if. And there was not a lot of great details about this particular case because it was from nineteen thirteen, so it's hard for me to get police reports. There was none. I was using people's statements and recollections of incidents years later in the twenties. So, but something happened and it caused him to kill her. But during that time he did the same thing that he did later on, which was a pocket knife sliced her across the throat. But then he also had an arousal. He had a sexual arousal during that so he jack after the murder, and then he left the facility, left the tavern. But he shows up the next day and he's across the street again at another establishment, having beers watching this whole thing unfold. And that was that was the first one. That's the first known murder. But it's similar to all the rest or many of the rest because the pocket knife was involved, the sexual stuff after the fact, and then watching the chaos unfold with law enforcement. But then they're like, you said, huge gap. And it's strange because there are cases I have investigate other cases where there are these long gaps, and it's really hard to explain what the gaps were. But some of the gap in this particular case was his incarceration. He couldn't do serial killers. He couldn't do serial killing while in custody, so that tacked on about nine years to that gap. So that was one of the things. The other thing was he was married, he was working in a factory, became a union leader, and he had other things preoccupying himself, and he was having sexual relations where he did not have to rape to get it. He was just meeting girls and having sex, so his sexual desires were being met. I think all those things, in conjunction with that time incarcerated meant or led to that gap in the killings. But once he started the second round, there were very few gaps. That's when he went on his killing spree.
Speaker 5: What's very interesting is you opened the book with this, just the chaos and mayhem that Peter Curtin begins his onslaught on society. And the first victim out of this, other than the Christine Klein, is also her uncle. And it's just a bizarre set of circumstances where he had threatened his brother, he tried to loan some money, he needed a loan desperately, and then he said, I'm going to do something that you're going to regret all of your life. And then this murder of his niece occurs, and he is accused and he's acquitted. But just tell us just a little bit about this, because it's just a fascinating opening.
Speaker 6: To a story. Yeah, it was pretty pretty sad too, opening, because we have this young girl.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 6: So the police obviously are trying to investigate this murder, and you know that they start doing their inquiry. Well hey hey, you know they asked her father, Hey, do you have any people that disliked you? Blah blah blah. Well he's like no, and so and obviously her father, Christine's father doesn't think his brother killed his daughter. He absolutely has no never would have ever got that. But the police talked to the brother, Carl, and he's like, yeah, you know, I was there, I've been around. That's my niece. Well, you know, jowny beefs with your brother. No, well we heard that you guys maybe had a fight. Oh yeah, I did have a fight. And then the police locked him into this statement and they accused him of committing the murder, which was really tragic because he didn't. We know, he didn't. He went to court and they dismissed the charges almost immediately. But because of the dynamic of the family, he ends up the uncle who was accused of killing Christine. He ends up killing himself. He commits suicide because of the the shame, the embarrassment, the accusations, all the stuff that was thrown upon him after having just a brief fight with his brother and being arrested for the murder of his niece. So it was super terrible situation and very sad, just kind of indicative of this whole case. There's so much sadness to it. But that's what happened.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in the end, right at the time he was killed by a guillotine. What was his demeanor, Well, right up to the end, so he was very.
Speaker 6: You know, obstinate, very like, you know, screw you, everybody. I've had it. I don't really care. He can't hurt me, he can't kill me, but he is He made a statement that was again I think, looking to rule the scenario, looking to cause shock in awe, and he asked, he basically said, hey, after my head is chopped off, well I'll still be able to hear, at least for a moment, the sound of my own blood gushing from the dump of my neck. And everybody just looked at him, like Jesus, this guy just doesn't quit. You know what kind of sick person? Asked that, and then he said he finishes us with well, that would be the pleasure to end all pleasures. So he just again he's looking for the shock and awe, you know, and he there, this is right at the moment that they're putting his head in the sack, and they said, hey, do you have any last questions or any last you know, expressions, and he said nope. And with that they dropped the blade and his head you know, fell into the sack, the burlap sack, and that was it. I mean, it was just that simple. It was so crazy of a case and it just ended with a second or two of a key team dropping and that was it.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Well, thanks his candidness and his willingness and need to tell somebody and relive these crimes. We do have early on this kind of wealth of information chronicling the psychopathic, narcissistic, totally remorseless lost killer as he's classified. I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about Monster, the true story of serial killer Peter Curtin. Thank you very much, cel Swinny. For those that might want to check out other material, to have a Facebook page, webite that you might imparts with people that be interested.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you can find me on Facebook. Just type in cel Swinney. It is same for Twitter, and then if you type in Celswiney on Amazon dot com you can see all my other books. And then my email is available. If anybody wants to shoot a question my way or a comment or whatever concern, I get back to him as soon as I can. So I'm pretty open with that with the readers. So and I appreciate against your show.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you very much for coming on. I'm glad we could arrange reschedule the interview from yesterday, but thank you very much for this. It's been fascinating talking about serial killer Peter Curtin. Thank you very much, cel Swiney. Hope to talk to you again real soon. You have a great day.
Speaker 6: Thank you you too, sir. Thank you night