Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are get off.
Speaker 1: Our show, idiots.
Speaker 3: The kids are crying to turn off your cultures.
Speaker 1: Are screwing it up.
Speaker 3: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 1: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's nick coffee?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: They say you learn something new every day, and I just learned something.
Speaker 5: I think I learned it the hard way.
Speaker 2: John and I were having a conversation before the show started, like we always do, just chit chatting, like like the Fellas do, right, just the boys chopping it up. And I admitted something to John that I didn't need to tell him, but I don't know why I did. But now I'm squirmy, I'm freaking out, So everybody, well shouldn't s everybody? Maybe that's my way of thinking, like it's normal, But at least some people out there have what's called a phobia, and I legitimately have one. I don't tell anybody what it is. Because that's just an invitation for somebody to like test the levels of like, okay, really because mine's pretty weird. John, I'm gonna hope that you keep that to yourself for the rest of your repeat, for the rest of your life. But wouldn't you agree that's one of those things that like you would think, like wait a second, like not that you'd think I'm lying, but like you, you probably instantly thought, what has that work?
Speaker 3: That's not something that anybody would ever guess. Yeah, you know, is a phobia.
Speaker 2: So because of that, people wouldn't believe me. And this used to be a thing to where like people would mess with me as if like it was funny or maybe I was exaggerating it, and I would be like, no, if you, if you, if that happens, it's not even going to be something that registers mentally upstairs. It's just gonna be instincts. I'm gonna punch you, like It's just the way it's gonna be. But anyways, now as we start the show, I said that hadn't thought about it in a long time, and now I'm kind of bazzing out a little bit.
Speaker 5: But it's okay.
Speaker 2: Once we get rolling here, I'll be I'll be fine, And I'm just gonna say this, when it comes to phobias, if you ever get bored and you have, you know, some time on your hands, if you will look up all the different phobias out there, it'll blow your mind. As far as things that like, people just can't deal with that, like you would never be able to understand why or how. But anyways, let's dive in, shall we. Coffee and Company. That's us. We are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven to ninety nit Coffee, the company man, mister John Alden taking you up until six o'clock. A couple of guests said to join us today, but I hope you guys will join us today as well. I want to make this show interactive. We usually get rolling with more interaction phone calls, text line as we get a little later into the week here. But coming up at three twenty, we'll talk with Kent Spencer from WHA eleven. Looking forward to catching up with him, getting his thoughts on mostly you know, the local teams. That's what we usually pick his brain about. And an hour later at four to twenty, we'll talk to Brian Edwards from Vegas Insider get his thoughts on a big weekend of college football and college basketball. John I learned, Yeah I should I should have. I mean, I'm the older one here, but your wisdom has has helped me at times, and I should have followed your lead when it comes to betting on college basketball because it's the ultimate guess.
Speaker 3: There's literally so much nonsense in the opening few games.
Speaker 2: And I literally said that yesterday, like, yeah, you know, who knows, but I'm still gonna do it. And I did it and it wasn't a big deal. I put like ten bucks on on the line last night overall and didn't come through. But these big numbers out there as far as and it really isn't like crazy numbers. I mean, did Indiana cover? I mean they were winning twenty plus the whole time, right, you know.
Speaker 3: They won by nineteen, and I believe that the spread before the tip off was like twenty six and a half.
Speaker 2: But were they in the twist as far as the lead for game around that? Yeah, I mean it wasn't like you were worried.
Speaker 3: There was a point. I mean it was twenty seven to twenty seven in the first half. Indiana played very sloppy in the first half, but they did, you know, make up for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I would say if you're if you're a Louisville and Kentucky fan, you know you all have I mean brand new teams. I mean literally, like completely from scratch, both both teams, Louisville and Kentucky with brand new coaches, which I would think that that would be like the more difficult ramp up, if you know what I'm saying, Like, once you get playing in real games, like it may take these guys a little more time to get it rolling compared to other teams that might bring back five six guys from last year's team and then maybe they got a couple of freshmen and three four portal guys, Like I'd say that's probably your most I'd say that's probably that mixed bag there as far as how your roster is structured, I'd say that's probably the norm for most. But what went on around here this past offseason wasn't normal, right because you had a coaching change and you completely built brand new teams. So for Louisville and Kentucky to cover earlier and again the competition wasn't great, but you know, you look elsewhere. I mean teams that some are supposed to be like Arkansas, I mean they were, they were they were never really able to pull away last night from whoever they played, and they I mean, they didn't look that good. To be honest with you, I'm not sure that you know, Villanova was expected to be good this year because they still have Kyle Neptune. You see, they lost last night to Columbia.
Speaker 3: I didn't see that.
Speaker 2: And then Virginia, I mean they ended up ended up winning, but you know, not covering against a really bad team. So back to the whole wagering aspect of it, Like it's just it's impossible to know right now. And yet I still am am am a you know what it is. It's not like I'm a degenerate gambler. I can't help myself. I just have to betting on college basketball. But you know, I used to be able to look back at teams. I used to be able to look at these teams that a lot of people don't care about, and I don't really care about them, but I just I follow college basketball closer than most just because I'm a nerd for it. But I felt like I would have a better feel for these mid majors or low majors than others to where I would say, Okay, yeah they're gonna get beat, but man, they ain't get beat by twenty nine, you know, something like that. And now you go look at these rosters at the bottom of Division one, mid level everywhere, you're losing guys like crazy. In fact, those lower level schools are losing guys more than anybody, it seems, because you know, I mean, there are now guys who will have a career where they played at like Coppin State, Drexel Florida A and m Grambling State, like four schools in four years, and they probably averaged seven points in one of those seasons as a career high. Like that's just like that's what people are doing now. So anyways, I'm happy that college basketball's here, but I'm probably gonna lay off when it comes to gambling until, you know, well, unless we have good games, like, for example, there's some decent games this weekend. Louisville, Tennessee is one of them. I don't know if I'm gonna bet on it, but certainly a good game when it comes to early college basketball season and I'm not going to be you know, this is not a negative thing to say, because you know, the vibes are really really strong right now, seemingly all the way around, but obviously when it comes to results that really impact the vibe more than others, it's football and men's basketball, and obviously men's basketball dominant debut for Pat Kelsey and then a big game coming up here in a couple of days. And then football, you've got the first ever win against Clemson and you're in the top twenty five of the College Football playoff rankings.
Speaker 5: So things are going well.
Speaker 2: But I'm you know, I am bummed at the bye week's here because I want to be able to you know, I want to be able to carry the momentum and not have a week off.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Hopefully they carry momentum with them next week as they travel to Stanford to play allows these Stanford team. But you know, either way, like this is not good timing when it comes to the bye week, because they got their breakthrough victory, they finally got over the hump as for AST playing really good teams and you know, this time they didn't come up short. But it's all starting to kind of even out because I believed that Louisville despite their losses, Like I felt like I could say, yeah, they're a really good team. They've got some pretty good players, like some dudes that I feel like, who knows, when we get to the end of the season, you might start talking about those guys as you know, some of the best you ever had. You know, for one season, right, I mean a lot of guys aren't sticking around three four years like players used to do back in the day. But you know, you look at what's going on. I mean, you look at I mean Jacorey Brooks. I'm trying to pull up the numbers here, excuse me. I mean he's already leading the acc and receiving yards and receiving touchdowns, but he also leads the country in most catches of twenty or more yards, which is an impressive stat for him. Also an impressive stat for Tyler Shuck. I mean Tyler Shuck again. The numbers, the stats really don't really don't show it, but he's having himself a really good season. And Isaac Brown, I mean, he might be one of the best freshmen in the country. In fact, I think he might be. I think he is, And I think the results will tell you that. I mean, he's been sensational this year and he's only getting better. Like I keep worrying about him hitting a wall as a freshman, because that happens, and Jeff has said it at least the last three weeks that they're having to really monitor the usage because he's kind of getting worn down as the game goes on. Because it's so clear he's your best back and it's not close. In fact, I mean him and Duke Watson, both true freshmen, are your best running backs, and they're both effective as true freshmen, which I think goes to show you they're not your typical true freshman. But I mean, Isaac Brown is having a really good year. And there's a number I'm gonna make sure I get it correct, but take away just the whole fact that he's a freshman. If you just look at his numbers, as far as what he's doing per game, per carry, it's as good as anybody not named Ashton Genty, the Boise State running back. Like, so I bring all this up to say, it's nice to be you know, tab it confirmed, and I guess things could fall apart, right, Like you could go have a bad loss to Stanford, and we all know that's possible. I don't think it'll happen, but you know, anything can happen in college football. But as it's starting to kind of shift to where you know, we're no longer saying like, man, Isaac Brown, this guy.
Speaker 5: Is special, Tyler Shucks, wish we had this guy for.
Speaker 1: More than one year.
Speaker 2: Same thing with ja Corey Brooks. Who knows how long he sticks around. So it kind of felt like for a while you were going to be potentially looking at a season where it felt like you wasted some really special talent that isn't going to be around very long. And I don't know how long Isaac's going to be around, hopefully hopefully for a long time. But Shuck, of course is a seventh year senior, no more eligibility. And then ja Corey Brooks, I think he has another year, but he might go to the NFL. To be honestly, I don't know where he is on the mock drafts, but I mean I wouldn't be shocked at all if he gets an evaluation that has him deciding to go to the NFL, because I think he's that talented. And then, of course, Isaac you know, can't go to the NFL yet, and I do. This is just a real reminder of where we are and how different things are. When you see somebody who's a true freshman like Isaac Brown making the impact that he's making. Our fans are aware that like now, he could mean he might leave right like he could have a really good finish to the season where you know, let's say his numbers get even better and Louisville wins out and there's momentum and they're talked about next year, is like a team that really could you know, make the playoff that kind of stuff, if there's that kind of momentum, Like at any moment, like, guys can just leave. And I hope that he doesn't, but that is that's the downside. I mean, Louisvill's been able to benefit from this more than's then it's hurt them. And I would say this when it comes to the whole Colin Lacy situation and just any other time you feel like, man, this portal thing stinks. I wish guys stuck around for a long time, Like I get it, like we missed the old days. But I would say, right now, Louisville specifically both basketball and footootball. They have substantially been able to benefit from this new world then the other way around, and that's something I think again you should probably remind yourself of that, just so you don't, you know, because who knows what life would be like for U of L Sports if you didn't have the portal in an il because at that point, you know, you couldn't you couldn't utilize things that you that you're utilizing now to go build a roster, to you know, to fire a coach. Right like if Kinney Payne was never was never able to use a transfer portal to build a roster, he might have been just given no matter what happens, at least three years or something, maybe four. I mean, hard to imagine that they wouldn't have made a move regardless. But like you've been able to benefit from a Jeff Brohm, I mean, I don't think he would be. If he's just recruiting straight out of the high school ranks, maybe he would be able to get some guys that could, you know, could really over time develop and be really effective high level college football players. But you know, because of the poor he was able to go get Ja Cory Brooks who was at Alabama catching touchdowns for Nick Saban and then he gets injured, gets passed over because you know what, Alabama's got a lot of guys like Ja Cory Brooks. So I hear you whenevery. You know, I understand those that miss it in a major way. But in the now, in the early stages of this new world, Louisville has benefited from it more than they've suffered from it. But anyways, that's a long winded way of me saying we got to worry about keeping guys around because at any moment, they can leave. And I would say that this week Louisville fans when it comes to talking about Louisville football and reacting to the Clemson win and still celebrating it knowing that the team's got a week off, I feel like of all the things Louisville football fans have been discussing, how they can find a way to keep Isaac Brown around is probably up there as far as one of the most talked about things. And I get it because you know he's special and you don't want to lose him. And there are many programs out there that probably know, Hey, that guy's awesome. We overlooked him. We could probably go get him. We probably have enough. We know his high school coach or his you know, somebody that's connected to him, and we know we've got X amount of dollars in an il. So let's let's let him. Let's let it be known, and then you know, you may lose him, like you like, at one point. I don't know when, but at one point will be like college fans will be well aware that it. You know, you never just you should never be surprised if anybody leaves, because it's just where we are and it's not changing, all right. So again, Kent Spencer gonna join us, coming up here in just a few minutes. Some other things I want to get into today. There's gonna be a live tiger at the LSU Alabama game, and I think that's badass. Reminds me of that old uh Mike Leach. I mean, it wasn't like a skit or a rant. It was just Mike Leach being Mike Leech at a press conference kind of kind of what he did, but he broke down like which live mascots would like win, like an ultimate survival kind of thing really, you know, stupid but funny stuff. In my opinion, like LSU can't lose at home with the real tiger there. I know it's Alabama, but like, didn't I just gearing. Doesn't that mean we have to bet Lsu? John I don't know. I don't like Brian Kelly. I don't even trust him, so I don't know that I wouldn't make that bet.
Speaker 5: But the Tiger come on, Like that's that's the ultimate intimidation factor.
Speaker 3: I can see the Tiger getting out and eating Brian Kelly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Lsu, I feel like the whole time he's been there, I'm like, yeah, man, they really are struggling. They've yet to get it rolling. But like every time I looked, every time I checked, like ranking standings, that kind of stuff, they're they're in a they're in a pretty good spot, all right. Also something else, uh when it comes Well, first of all, we haven't talked about it yet, but there's a really good Thursday night football game tonight between the Ravens and the Bengals. Will certainly talk about that. But Cali Perry last night, Like, if you're a Kentucky fan, worried that Cali Perry was going to go to Arkansas and finally adapt to the new world of college basketball as far as how the game is played, and really, you know, just be energized and hungry to mix it up and win in spite of you, to to show you that you guys don't know what you missed. You don't know what you lost in him. And I want that too, because you know, that would be fun for me to see Kentucky fans miss Caliperi and maybe be worried about Mark Pope. I don't know if it plays out that way, but cal and his press conference last night? Have you heard of me of this John, I haven't he. I think he think he's gone insane. Like I don't think he's re energized. I don't think he's focused. I think he's just, you know, losing his mind. To be honest with you, all.
Speaker 1: Right, stick with us.
Speaker 5: We're taking you up till six o'clock. It's coffee and company.
Speaker 2: Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. It's right coffee and company rolling along here on a Thursday afternoon. Thanks for hanging out with us. Don't forget you can take us with you.
Speaker 5: Wherever you go.
Speaker 2: Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com.
Speaker 5: And we are now welcomed by.
Speaker 2: A special guest, the one and only mister Kent Spencer from WHAS eleven, Kent before we dive in here, congratulations, I see thirteen year anniversary for you at WWHS eleven. Does it feel like you've been at it that long?
Speaker 4: Here? It does not, And I did not even know until a coworker of mine posted something very nice on social media about it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why I brought it up, because what's your secret? You did an age in thirteen years? What are you doing? What I need?
Speaker 5: I need to know what the secret is? Man, Buddy.
Speaker 4: I try. I just try to keep the stress light, okay, try to keep the stress well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I'd like to do that regardless if it had an impact on how old I looked.
Speaker 5: I mean, stress, stress will get you. But you're living good man.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you, buddy. I appreciate it. And let me tell you something. It's it's thirteen years and it's been a heck of a run.
Speaker 5: Good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I if you'd asked, somebody would have asked me, Hey, how long you think that Kin Spincer's been with WS eleven? I would have been in the ballpark, but I don't know if I would have I don't know if I would have guessed thirteen, because again, you've looked the same the whole time.
Speaker 5: It's us. It's pretty impressive.
Speaker 2: So good stuff, and it was very kind of your colleague to uh to to put that video together. But that's that's what I saw earlier today that at the very end it shows literally thirteen pictures side by side, and I've I've never seen anything quite like it. So whatever you're doing, keep it up, man, Good good stuff, all right, before we get to tonight's big game in the NFL, because I certainly want to discuss that both Louisville and Kentucky season debuts earlier dominant wins given all of the you know, all the components here with both sides, because it's a pretty similar situation. New coach really building an entire team from scratch. A lot of these guys had never really played together. But I mean, it's one game, and the competition was inferior. But I think it's safe to say that that so far, maybe they are a little bit ahead of what you would have expected, given you know that it's all brand new.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I would say definitely. They both have passed every test that's been put in front of them so far. With with Flying Colors. Obviously, for Louisville, business is really going to pick up on Saturday, and then for Kentucky things will really pick up next week against do But you know, just just kind of starting with with Louisville, to be honest with you, you know, I think all everybody wanted to look at like, what were they going to look at offensively? Because the cards have been kind of dysfunctional offensively over the past couple of years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no identity probably putting it in.
Speaker 4: A in a very nice way. But I think, you know, all eyes were like, hey, what what's this thing going to look like? There? I know they want to get up and down. I know they want to put up a bunch of threes and things of this nature. I've been super impressed by the effort on the defensive end so far from from this team, and the and the makeup that the guys that Pat Kelsey picked up in the transfer portal. We'll see if that continues against somebody like a Tennessee on Saturday. But for me, like that's been the that's been the area that I've been like, oh, like these guys are these guys get after it, like, these guys are are playing extremely hard. So so for them, I think that's the That's the one thing that that I've kind of taken away from the exhibition games in the one game against Morehead State and then and then for Kentucky, they're playing a super fun style as well offensively, lab Butler just gets at you defensively. And I think Amari Williams is an absolute monster. He just like his game against Wright State the other night, like he just like he was just an absolute monster around that realm. And we'll see, like against a Duke, does that continue to be the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I don't know if if if both coaches here would have preferred to have the schedule kind of play out the way that it has, because obviously, the Champions Classic for Kentucky is something that they've been doing for a long time and it's a good opportunity to be weird to back out of it. But you know, both of both both guys are going to have a really early test to kind of see where their team stands and maybe both come up short. I wouldn't be terribly shocked if both win, to be honest with you, but I mean, what's your what's your gut? Tell you as far as fan reaction, because these guys are on top of the world right now, and I don't think that we should expect anybody to lose their mind. Because again, if Louisville loses to Tennessee and Kentucky loses to do I mean, that's going to be the expected outcome if you're going off of point spreads and whatnot.
Speaker 5: But I'm I'm eager.
Speaker 2: To see sort of like what the reaction is if both teams play well and they come up short. Part of me says that could still be viewed as a positive and people would still have good, good, you know, good vibes.
Speaker 5: The morale would be up.
Speaker 2: But again, we care about college basketball around here a lot more than most and some people just can't help but lose their mind over any loss.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I'm gonna I'm gonna ask you to hit the rewind button just a little bit to last year and I want to say Kentucky lost a game against Kansas and the Champions Classic with that with that young team last year, and I think everybody like came away from that going, hey, this Kentucky team has a chance to be pretty good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Kansas was number one, that's right.
Speaker 4: So they take they take, they take an l But like there was nobody down and out about anything, like if these guys, if both teams really compete and maybe fall, maybe come up a little bit short, like there's that's that's nothing to hang your hat on or or head on, like like I think that they'll both be be okay. I mean, you know, I I honestly think like Louisville has I wouldn't be surprised out of both teams, to be quite honest with you. And I don't know why. This is just a gut feeling. I almost wouldn't be surprised if Louisville beat Tennessee on on Saturday. And I'll tell you why. Number one, I think the energy in the m Center is going to be off the charts. Like the other night, you know, the lower bowl was completely full and then you know they were they were like some sprinkles you know, up top around. But I think the energy in the building is going to be off the charts. I think they're gonna be at home. I think it's gonna it's gonna get them juiced up. You know, Tennessee, and you know, I haven't seen them play this year, but I do know they have a lot of new pieces that they're also working with, and Rick Barnes has a style. In the last couple of years, it felt like they had a lot of the same Maybe they bring in a player or two, but they've had a lot of the same pieces back and so you know, that system is kind of in place. I don't know if they're still trying to work it out, because you know, a Rick Barnes coach team is extremely tough defensively and they don't give up a lot of easy stuff. But I think that they've still may be working out the kinks a little bit. So honestly, like I wouldn't be shocked if Louisville beat Tennessee on on Saturday.
Speaker 5: I'm with you. I talked.
Speaker 2: I talked about that a little bit yesterday because I just, you know, Tennessee. To me, they look like the perfect example of a team that is ranked where they are based off of a special season. They had a year ago, and respect for Rick Barnes, who's the most who's the winningest coach in the SEC in the last seven years, So I'm not saying like it's it's egregious, but like their top guy coming back is Ziggler, who has been there for a while and he's been a productive, really good guard. But you're right elsewhere, they filled their roster with some other transfer portal guys that really aren't probably you know, we'll see obviously it's tough to know, but I wouldn't say that they were as highly coveted as some of the guys that Louisville added, and then the guys that they bring back outside of Ziggiler. You're just expecting that they make a bigger jump. So I'm trying not to get my hope. So I'm looking at it, of course from a fan standpoint, I know you're not, but like I kind of expect Louisville to beat Tennessee, which just makes me realize I'm a lunatic maybe because that's I mean, expecting Pat Kelsey to get that kind of a win in his second game, and knowing how long it's been since Louisville won a game like that. It's crazy, but you make me feel a little bit less like a lunatic. So thank you, because I just think looking at personnel, looking at you know, the two different styles, like I shouldn't say that I'd be like shocked if they lose, but I kind of feel like if they win, I kind of feel like maybe that's what they were supposed to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So and you know that has a sing and doesn't that feel good? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Hell yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Like, so I was at I obviously was at the Morehead State game the other the other night. By the way, you know, proud Alma Mater. I expected maybe a little bit more, and I shouldn't have because you know, Preston Spradling went to JMU, they got a new coach, you know, like you're just not going to be able to kind of turn the roster over the way that they were going to be. So they were not as good as I thought they would be. But just being in the arena and I and I said this the other night on the news, I said, you know, Louisville fans watched that game last night almost in complete enjoyment, Like it was. They were getting rowdy they were having a blast. They weren't like, you know, in the last couple of years they had some crowds that would would get into it and get loud, but it was almost like trying to urge something out of their team that wasn't there, you know what I mean, or like, you know, you're you're going nuts because they're trying to come back from from app state and you just it's like a nervous loud cheer. Does that make sense?
Speaker 5: Like absolutely, Yeah, It's like you're it's like a chore.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And I talked to I talked to friends of mine that went to the game the other night and they haven't been to a game in a couple of years, and they were, you know, they were there and they were just having a ball. And I saw another buddy of mine who was there with his son. They were having a ball, and it was like, man, it's been a long time since people had this kind of a time in this arena.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the one thing that I think will always stick with me this season is you're up fifty points, no exaggeration, and there's two minutes roughly left and you still I mean, Pat Kelsey really doesn't have I mean, he'll empty the bench with some of the walk ons, but I mean he's going to try to go about ten deep. So you know you're gonna see guys in late even when they're up big. But you had a shot clock violation for the Louisville defense. They were still giving that amount of effort up fifty with just a couple of minutes left, and a lot of the fans that went were still there. I mean, they were enjoying it so much. As you mentioned, it was just a you know, people kind of got lost in it and forgot how awesome it is to just not worry about previous seasons or records or who you're playing, just watching your team play and with that, with that level of effort, and obviously they were playing really well, but they got a shotlock violation and everybody there was stood up and clapping like it was just like, I don't know, it just seemed like a like a moment that you know, wow, like this really is what we will do as fans if, in fact, you give a good product out there and these guys play hard, and that's that's exactly what they did. I'm not going to ask you to like, you know, I guess I am going to ask you all lied what would be your guess as to what could be done to get attendance not twenty two thousand, but obviously it's been a big conversation. Games like more Head stayed on a Monday. The fans that were there the lower Bowl was pretty crowded, and they were they were into it, and I think they provided a great atmosphere. But is it realistic to expect when you play like I think Louisill could be in a much different situation as far as previous seasons that weren't nearly as bad and still probably have a tough time getting a real big crowd for those kind of games. I don't really think that it's it's a problem. I mean, some of it's a product of recency as far as the struggles that they've had, But I just feel like it's tough to get people to want to go to a game like that on a on a Tuesday or a Monday night when you're playing a team and you're favorite about thirty.
Speaker 4: Well, okay, so let me when I say what I'm about to say, I understand that I am not criticizing fans at all, Like it's your money. You do what you want to do, Like I get it right, But I don't think fans go to games anymore, Like I think they go to the big games, but I don't, like I think the days of packed houses for directional school games, I think those days are over.
Speaker 5: I agree.
Speaker 4: And I just think that, like whether it's ticket prices, whether it's you know, like the whatever the dollar is, Like you know, I kind of go back some some of it is like Alabama football, like they don't they don't get those kind of things for the directional school games earlier in the year, or like lesser SEC teams, like they don't did sellouts anymore.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 4: Kentucky basketball, they don't anymore, you know what I mean, Like they don't, Like Rough's not packed every night like that, nobody's going games anymore. I mean earlier in the earlier in the season, like Louisville football was ranked in the top fifteen, the joint was half full for SMU. Like, man, people just aren't going to games anymore like they used to. It's just you know, whether it's whether it's you know, TVs have gotten really nice and and everybody's streaming and you can now get all the games on TV. You know, whatever the reason is, I just don't. I just don't think those days are are ever coming back now, you know, like a game like Saturday, or like when Duke comes to the KFC Young Center, like, yeah, the joint's going to be packed, But when it comes to the random Monday Wednesday games, like, I just don't think those those days are ever coming back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could not agree more. I think it's it's honestly kind of a generational thing. I think that the younger adults, you know, people between you know, mid twenties to to around forty, they just don't see the real incentive to be a season ticket holder, and maybe they can't afford it. I mean, it's not something that's super cheap. And there's a lot of talk about lack of attendance because it is important to have, you know, good crowds and whatnot. But sometimes it's really not that something's terribly wrong. It's just I think society has evolved, and to your point, really everywhere big games people will go to because there but the directional schools, the ones that you know, you know, you can just enjoy in the comfort of your home and still cheer like it's it's pretty hard to turn that down for a lot of people. All Right, real quick, I want to talk about tonight's Bengals Ravens game. Obviously, the Bengals won three out of four. They've got a little bit of momentum, confidence level. I know you're a Bengals fan. They got a big challenge, a really good Thursday night game. But where is Kin Spencer when it comes to confidence level in his Bengals?
Speaker 1: Three out of ten?
Speaker 4: Just just just a three? You know, I think what is it? T Higgins is out or doubt for or whatever?
Speaker 2: I think, you know, yeah, Higgins is out. I think the offensive lineman that'd been banged up is going to play.
Speaker 4: Though, Yeah yeah he Orlando Brown, yes is back. You know, obviously the Bengals should have won the game. The first time those two played, that game was in Cincinnati. This game is in Baltimore. Like, it makes it so much more difficult, you know, to try to beat them there. Uh, they've gotten a little bit healthier on the on the defensive front. But I'm just you know, I'm I'm just not a believer in this team this year Baltimore. You know, they added some pieces of free agency. You know, this is you know, Baltimore, this is clearly like they're going all in to try to get a Super Bowl this year. They feel like this is their year. And I think they feel like, you know, they've made so many whether it's the off season or whether it's during the season, they've made so many moves in free agency. Like it's pretty clear they feel like whatever window that they have is kind of closing. Yeah, they need to make them and they need to make their move now. When teams do this, that's the desperate that's the desperation that's coming out. And look, they've got a they've got a really good team with a lot of good pieces, and you know, they lost a couple of weeks ago to the Cleveland Browns. You know, like they like they need to get this one. It's not just the Bengals are playing desperate. Baltimore is playing desperate. And so for that reason, like you're gonna have to have all your offensive weapons to give yourself a chance against this defense, against this team. I'm just I'm just not high on the Bengals chances tonight.
Speaker 2: From what you've seen so far with with the Ravens, do you feel like the I mean, they've had some really good seasons. Lamar's played really good football in those seasons where he's won the MVP, but they've not been able to break through and get all the way to the Super Bowl. Of course, easier said than done, especially when you're going up against Patrick Mahomes and what the Chiefs have, which certainly seems like a dynasty. But am I am I. I mean again, anybody can loose to anybody in the NFL. The Ravens have shown that three times this year, well twice, I mean the loss of the Raid to the Raiders and then of course the loss of the Browns was not expected.
Speaker 5: But I'm with you.
Speaker 2: I kind of feel like not to say that if they don't get it done this year, they're never going to get it done. But like this is like Lamar's playing better football than he's ever played. Derick Henry is still dominating as a running back. Like I think that actually kind of adds some pressure to him a little bit.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think. So, I mean, look, everybody knows, like when your front office is making these kind of moves, like those players know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like the.
Speaker 4: Expectation is to win the whole thing and do it this year. And it's tough. You know. The thing about it is is, you know and less and less Kansas City goes through like a really hard spot during this season, like the road's going through Arrowhead. Yeah, and I'm look, Mahomes doesn't lose an Arrowheads.
Speaker 2: He does not not in the postseason.
Speaker 4: Hey, let me let me correct that just.
Speaker 5: For a s one. We know who did it, Old.
Speaker 4: Joe Shisty got it done, but but he really doesn't. He doesn't really lose an arrowhead. So but but I think that, yeah, there is pressure to in order to get this done. But like remember last year they got to the playoffs and Baltimore decided to call like all past plays.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like the abandoned the run, abandon the thing that really got him there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So like if they're if they're smart, right and they're there, they lean heavily on the run, game on Derrick Henry, on Lamar's legs and then and then play you know, use that for play action. If that's their formula, then they can definitely they'll have a chance and Arrowhead in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Good stuff, as always, can appreciate the time, enjoy the game tonight and whatever you're doing to not age keep it up.
Speaker 4: Brother, Hey, let me tell you something. We got the elixir.
Speaker 5: We're ready to go. Good stuff.
Speaker 2: That is Kid Spencer from WHS eleven. I always appreciate him making time for us. Good stuff there, all right? Speaking of good stuff, how about blue Choo. I mean, if you don't know what Bluechoo is, you should. I'm surprised that you don't, but I'll tell you what it is. One thing I know that you know about is sex because sex is pretty popular. People seem to really like the sex. But what if I told you something that you already like and really enjoy could be even better.
Speaker 5: That's where blue Choo comes in.
Speaker 2: Blue Choo is not just something that can assist you when it comes to being able to get the job done. It's also something that can enhance the experience overall. And again, why wouldn't you want to take something that's already great and make it even better? Again, Bluechoo can help you do exactly that. Bluechoo is a unique online service that delivers the same active ingredients as Viagran and Cialis, but in a chewable tablet at a fraction of the cost. It's an online prescription service, so again you don't have to go to the doctor's office, no awkward conversations, you don't have to go to the pharmacy. It ships right to your door, made right here in the USA, and again ship directly in a discrete package. So if you haven't checked it out, now is your chance to do it. Let me prove to you that this stuff is the best, because they're going to get blue Choo's going to hook you up and let you try it free. That's right free for our listeners. When you sign up with the promo code Nick seven ninety at bluechoo dot com, all you gotta do is pay five bucks shipping. It's bluetoo dot com promo code Nick seven ninety. You receive your first month for free blue Choo. Just chew it and do it all right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Wrap up, wrap up the three o'clock hour as we roll along here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: I wasn't ready for that.
Speaker 3: I could tell it was time. We haven't done aeron tippity.
Speaker 2: I mean, I need to be a little more prepared for this aeron tip And this is some good stuff right here. I've got to be one of maybe I don't know ten people on the planet that considers themselves like a die hard Aaron Tipping fan. Like I'm sure he's got fans, but you know, they're probably all old enough to be my grandpa and don't remember Aaron Tipping because you know, he hasn't been mainstream relevant in a long, long long time. But I'd put myself up there. I can probably recite more of his song's word for word than maybe anybody on the planet, which really isn't something to brag about.
Speaker 3: It's just you know, definitely when it comes to people your age.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I got hooked on blue collar country at a very early age. And I say blue collar country because a lot of people just say nineties country, which it technically still is the blue collar country. It's the guys who, you know, they wouldn't be able to actually they may because there's some guys who wouldn't necessarily think have the you know, there was a stretch there where your image, how you looked mattered way more than what you sound and how good of an artist you were, but not you know, back in the day, look if you could if you could get the Honky Tonk hits roll and then you know, you could be a star like Mark Chestnut. Aaron Tippin's one of them.
Speaker 3: Who else, Tracy Lawrence? Does he fit that category?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: But he he had he was a star.
Speaker 2: He had a little bit more longevity than these other guys that I'm mentioning. Okay, Darryl, Darryl Singletary, r ip he passed away.
Speaker 5: Just guys who you.
Speaker 2: Know, look like look like your average joe, blue collar guys that you know had had a good run there. Oh he Clay Walker. I kind of put him in there a little bit. But yeah, Aaron Tippins, I'm a big fan. And yes, I'm sure many of you think that's weird, But if you've listened to this show at least a little bit, you probably already thought I was weird.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 2: So tonight big Thursday night football game, and I keep saying that, thinking, like, man, this is one of the best Thursday night games we've had in a while. And maybe it's just because you know, I know that locally, there's gonna be a lot of interest because of two things. One, there's a big Bengals fan base, here. In fact, we are your home for the Cincinnati Bengals, but also Lamar Jackson. I mean, he's appointment viewing for a lot of people, but clearly Louisville fans they are. They're taking full advantage of being able to watch their former Heisman Trophy winner put together really his best season he's ever had, and that's pretty impressive considering he's already won the MVP Trophy twice. But we were talking with Kid Spencer just a moment ago, and I think Kid is spot on that the window. It's not to say that if they don't win it this year, they're never going to do it, but I think that you go ahead and get Derrick Henry, and you don't know at the time when you do it if he's going to be the same guy, right because at any moment, man these running backs fall off a cliff. I mean they can Father Tom will take him out in no time. But that hasn't happened with Derrick Henry yet. And you've got your quarterback, Lamar Jackson playing the best football of his career. I mean, Dereck Henry right now, think about this. The Titans let him walk. Other teams didn't want him. The Ravens got him and Derick Henry. Right now, he ranks first in rushes, first in rushing yards and rushing touchdowns. He has the longest rush of the season in the NFL. He has the longest rushing yards for first downs. He has the longest scrimmage yards. I mean, he's he's having the best season of his career, it seems, which is rare for running back at his age. And then Lamar right now, I mean he's first in the NFL and passer rating passing yards per attempt, rushing yards.
Speaker 5: Of course, that's always going to be something he's elite in.
Speaker 2: He's tied for first in the pass and touchdown interception ratio, tied for second for passing touchdowns. Overall, only one quarterback has more passing yards than him. I mean, these guys are having the best seasons.
Speaker 5: Of their career.
Speaker 2: And you know, I think the Chiefs this year, despite being unbeaten, and this is the best start they've ever had in this era. In fact, I think I saw that it's the best start that they've ever had. I mean, what are they now eight or eight? No, nine to no, something like that. So like getting through this in the playoffs is still going to be really, really difficult. But man, I actually feel like this Chiefs team when I watch him, they seem a little more beatable than maybe they have in other years. But you know, they could limp in the playoffs and I'm still gonna need to see them go down before. I just expect it to happen because that's how special they have been. And really that Pat Mahome does in the playoffs, but I just wanted so badly for Lamar to be able to get over that hump, and it doesn't. You know, it's not like he needs to do that in order for people to acknowledge that he's really, really good. But he's done so much already as an individual player that like, that's really the only thing left for him to be. I think crowned is one of the best to ever do it. And you could make the claim that he is without the super Bowl, but man, nobody could deny it if he gets if he gets a ring. But again, easier said than done. All right, When it comes to keeping your pets healthy, Jefferson Animal Hospital that's where you need to turn. Jefferson Vets dot Com is the website Bibo two nine hundred Pets is the number I'd encourage you to reach out. I'm sure there are many of you listening right now that realize you've not taken your dog or your cat to get a check up in quite some time. And they may be a okay, but you don't want to risk it. Right pets are your family members. Don't risk it. Get them checked out, make sure there's not something going on with them. And I know the folks at Jefferson in the Hospital will be happy to hear from you. They're open twenty four hours at day, three hundred and sixty five days a year, so stop in and see him anytime or again. Give them a call five O two nine hundred pets, or visit Jefferson Vets dot com. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Hour number two is on the way. Keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety