Speaker 1: Welcome back. Everyone, ready to dive into some serious network security.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, let's get practical.
Speaker 1: Today's deep dive is all about intrusion analysis, and we're using practical intrusion analysis by doctor Stevenol as our guide.
Speaker 2: Great choice. Doctor Nol really gets into the nitty gritty before.
Speaker 1: We get to the fund stuff, the intrusions. We need to make sure everyone's on the same page about how networks work. The fundamentals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the foundation. I think the most crucial network fundamental is understanding how data actually travels across networks. Think about it like this, Okay, I'm listening. Imagine each little piece of data is like a digital envelope, right, Each packet needs a clear address to get where it needs to go, like.
Speaker 1: A digital postal service. So that's where IP addressing comes in.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Each device has its own unique address, either IPv four or that newer.
Speaker 1: IPv six ray I've heard of those.
Speaker 2: And then these IP addresses are all structured and organized through subnetting. Subnetting, Yeah, think of it like dividing a city into neighborhoods makes things easier to manage in more secure.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, But how do we actually see this data moving around.
Speaker 2: We use tools called packet sniffers. They're like little windows into the network traffic, so.
Speaker 1: We can peek inside those digital envelopes exactly.
Speaker 2: But we can't just plug in anywhere. We need to use special techniques to access those packets.
Speaker 1: What kind of techniques, Well.
Speaker 2: There's SPAN and tappeece. Span is kind of like making a copy of the data stream, and tapps are like a dedicated connection to that traffic.
Speaker 1: So SPAN copies tfps connect directly. Got it. I see how knowing this is crucial for intrusion analysis onto the intrusions.
Speaker 2: Intrusion detection systems or idss are the next step. They are always on the lookout for anything suspicious on your network, like.
Speaker 1: Two hundred and forty seven security guards, but for our data exactly.
Speaker 2: And there are two main types of idss, signature based and anomaly based.
Speaker 1: That's the difference.
Speaker 2: Signature based IDs are like fingerprint scanners. They compare the network traffic against a huge database of known attacks.
Speaker 1: Looking for those telltale signs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then anomaly based IDs are more like behavioral analysts. They look for anything that deviates from normal network activity.
Speaker 1: So if something is acting out of character, they notice it right.
Speaker 2: It's super useful for detecting brand new attacks, ones we've never seen before.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. But attackers are always trying to stay one step ahead, aren't they.
Speaker 2: They are, and they have all sorts of tricky techniques to evade detection by those idss like what Well. One clever tactic is TCP stream reassembly manipulation TCP bracedown data into smaller segments for transmission.
Speaker 1: OK.
Speaker 2: Attackers can mess with those segments, making it hard for the IDs to put the pieces back together and see what's really going on.
Speaker 1: Tricky, So how do we deal with that?
Speaker 2: That's where target based ressembly comes in. It tries to reconstruct the network traffic as seen by the target system itself, even with all the attackers' manipulation.
Speaker 1: Like solving a puzzle, but you can still see the picture on the box exactly.
Speaker 2: It helps us see the true nature of the attack.
Speaker 1: So are there any ideas that use this target based reassembly?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, Snort and bro are two great examples. They are both open source too.
Speaker 1: I think I've heard of snort. It's signature based, right it is.
Speaker 2: Snort is super flexible and it is a huge rule set that can be customized to fit your specific needs.
Speaker 1: Wow, a customizable security card. So how do you write these Snort signatures?
Speaker 2: Well, there are a few different techniques. One is called unique string matching, where you look for a really specific pattern in the network traffic.
Speaker 1: So like a secret phrase exactly.
Speaker 2: Another technique is know the vulnerability. The signature focuses on the exact conditions that allow a certain exploit to work. You have to know how the attacker does it to write it.
Speaker 1: I see. So it's about understanding the attackers' methods and then targeting those weaknesses.
Speaker 2: You got it. And Snort even has a special feature called flow bits to track the state of a session, so you can get really granular with your detection.
Speaker 1: Pretty neat. So what about BRO? What's its specialty?
Speaker 2: Bro is anomaly based. Instead of just looking for patterns, it tries to understand the bigger picture of network behavior.
Speaker 1: So it's more like a detective piecing together clues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, more like Schrolock Holmes. Plus it has amazing scripting capabilities. You can set it up to take specific actions based on certain events.
Speaker 1: So Bro is the detective and Snore is the security guard.
Speaker 2: I like that, but to really fight back. We need to understand how these attackers find their targets.
Speaker 1: Let's get into their heads.
Speaker 2: Knowing the vulnerability life cycle is key. Every vulnerability goes through a whole process, you know, from discovery to disclosure and then will attackers start creating exploits.
Speaker 1: So it's a race against time to fix those vulnerabilities before the bad guys exploit them.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's like a constant cat and mouse game. Doctor Noel has a really good example of the book. He walks us through a vulnerability in a file download application. What's the application, It's called flashcat. He uses tools like TCP dump and wire shark to break down the exploit. They're like digital Mega to find glasses.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: What happens He shows you how to create a snort signature that could actually catch this specific attack. And it's not just about detecting it, it's about understanding exactly how the vulnerability works.
Speaker 1: To create a targeted defense.
Speaker 2: You got it. And this brings us to a huge part of network security these days, Web application firewalls were WEFs.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, doubles. I've been wanting to learn more about those Web applications are.
Speaker 2: Everywhere they are and weefs are like having security guards specifically for your web applications. They filter out all that malicious traffic.
Speaker 1: So they protect those vulnerabilities and web apps that we hear so much about.
Speaker 2: Exactly. You know about the oas top ten right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the top ten web app vulnerability.
Speaker 2: Oh right, cross site scripting, squel injection, file injection, all those nasty things WEFs help protect against them.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, But why can't regular ideas do that.
Speaker 2: They are designed to understand web application protocols and traffic the same way WEFs are.
Speaker 1: Ah, they need that specialized knowledge exactly.
Speaker 2: WEFs can actually look at the age TTP requests and responses and spot suspicious patterns or known attack signatures.
Speaker 1: And then block them, right yep.
Speaker 2: They can also enforce different security policies. There's the positive security model, which only allows known good.
Speaker 1: Traffic, so only the good guys get in, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Then there's the negative security model, blocking known bad traffic. And there's even a learning mode where the wife observes normal behavior and learns to flag anything unusual.
Speaker 1: So it learns what normal looks like.
Speaker 2: Exactly, a lot of people use mod security. It's a pretty popular open source whaff waves.
Speaker 1: Are really interesting, so much to learn. But web aaps aren't the only thing we need to worry about, right, Nope.
Speaker 2: Wireless networks have their own set of challenges. They can be way more vulnerable.
Speaker 1: I can see that no wires to tap into exactly.
Speaker 2: That's where wireless intrusion detection and prevention solutions come in. Wireless idsps, so.
Speaker 1: Like a special security system just for wireless nets.
Speaker 2: We've got it. There are two main types, access point based and dedicated sensors.
Speaker 1: That's a difference.
Speaker 2: Access Point based solutions monitor traffic from the access points perspective. Dedicated sensors passively listen for wireless activity like little spies.
Speaker 1: Sounds sneaky. So what kind of wireless threats are out there or what should we watch out for?
Speaker 2: Rogue access points are a big one. Someone could set up a fake access point to trick people into.
Speaker 1: Connecting and then steal their data.
Speaker 2: You got it. Then there's reconnaissance and cracking tools. Attackers use them to gather information about your network and try to break your encryption.
Speaker 1: And then there's man in the middle attacks.
Speaker 2: You know it. Someone secretly positions themselves between two devices to intercept and potentially manipulate the communication.
Speaker 1: So it's like they're eavesdropping and changing the messages exactly.
Speaker 2: But there are ways to fight back. Hike isolation techniques can restrict access for unauthorized devices, and location detection methods can use signal strength to pinpoint where threats are coming from so.
Speaker 1: We can find them and stop them.
Speaker 2: You got it. It's all about being proactive.
Speaker 1: So I've talked about digital security, but what about physical security? That old school stuff.
Speaker 2: Ah, great point, It's easy to overlook, but it's still so important. And you know what, physical and cybersecurity are kind of blending together these days. How So, take physical access control systems or paycs. They use things like RFID, smart cards, and IP enabled video surveillance to control who can physically access certain areas.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about locks and keys anymore.
Speaker 2: Nope, we're using technology to manage access in both the physical and digital worlds.
Speaker 1: That's really interesting.
Speaker 2: Imagine someone tries to get into a secure area using a stolen ID card. An integrated system could instantly trigger an alert in the network security system.
Speaker 1: The security guards could stop them right away.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Physical and digital security working together.
Speaker 1: It's like a security dream team.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think I'm started to see how those two worlds are blurring.
Speaker 1: They are. And there's one more area I want to talk about. One I find really fascinating. Geographic intrusion detection or GID.
Speaker 2: Okay, GID, I don't think I've heard of that before.
Speaker 1: The ID takes geographic information systems or GIS and combines it with security data, so now we can understand and track attacks geographically, so like.
Speaker 2: We can actually see where the attacks are coming from on a map exactly.
Speaker 1: It gives you a whole new perspective. It's like having a bird's eye view of the digital battlefield.
Speaker 2: I love that analogy. Okay, tell me more about GID.
Speaker 1: Well, there's this key concept in GID called the cornerstone theory.
Speaker 2: Cornerstone theory, it's the idea that attackers leave geographic footprints. You can track their scanning and attack patterns, and it all ties back to certain locations.
Speaker 1: So like a trail of digital breadcrumbs, but on a map exactly.
Speaker 2: And we use the different geolocation techniques to track those attackers.
Speaker 1: Okay, Like what.
Speaker 2: There are IP based geolocation databases that try to connect IP addresses to physical locations. Then there are DNSLC records which try to add location information to the dome name system.
Speaker 1: So we know where those domains are based.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then there's trace root analysis. We can map out the path of data packets as they hop across the network, and that can often lead us back to a physical.
Speaker 1: Location, so it's like following the data trail exactly.
Speaker 2: And finally there's multilateration. It uses network latency to estimate an attacker's geographic location.
Speaker 1: So we're using the speed of the Internet to track them down.
Speaker 2: Pretty much. It's all very sophisticated.
Speaker 1: Stuff I can imagine, but if you can master these techniques, they can be incredibly powerful tools.
Speaker 2: They can. Doctor Noel has a really interesting case study in the book. He shows how GID can be used to uncover a really complex attack, one that traditional security tools might have completely missed.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. So it's like having a secret weapon.
Speaker 2: It can be, yeah, but like any weapon, you need to know how to use it right.
Speaker 1: Knowledge is power. Well, I think we've covered a ton of ground in this first part of our deep dive.
Speaker 2: We have networking fundamentals, intrusion detection, web application firewalls, even geographic intrusion detection.
Speaker 1: The world of network security is.
Speaker 2: Vast, it is and it's always changing, but I think we gave our listeners a good overview of the basics. You know, sometimes I think we security folks get so focused on all the technical stuff that we forget something really important. That's a communicating our findings, Like we understand all these complex concepts. Yeah, but explaining it to someone who's not a security expert, well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that can be tough, especially when you're dealing with mountains of data and technical jargon.
Speaker 2: Right. That's why I love data visualization. It's like taking all those messy logs and security events and turning them into something anyone can understand.
Speaker 1: So instead of staring at spreadsheets, we can actually see what's happening, spot patterns, trends, things like that.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's like having a map that guides you through a complex landscape. You can see the big picture and also zoom in on specific details.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like that analogy. So what kinds of visualizations are particularly helpful in the security world, Well, it.
Speaker 2: Really depends on the data and what we're trying to show. Line charts are great for showing trends over time, like how many attacks you've seen.
Speaker 1: In the past month, right, easy to see if things are getting better or worse exactly.
Speaker 2: And bar charts are really good for comparing different things, like different types of attacks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so different charts for different purposes. What if you want to see the relationship between two things.
Speaker 2: Scatterplots are perfect for that. They can show you if there's a correlation, like if a certain type of attack is more common on certain days of the week. And then you have heat maps. They're amazing for visualizing things like density or.
Speaker 1: Distribution, so we could see where the attacks are concentrated, like a heat map of the network exactly.
Speaker 2: It helps you quickly identify the hotspots.
Speaker 1: So many cool visualizations. Are there any tools or frameworks that are particularly helpful for creating these?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Tons, there's SVIs, this Secure Visual Information system. It's great for visualizing security data in a way that's easy to understand.
Speaker 1: What else?
Speaker 2: Vizmet developed Etri is another good one. It's really good for visualizing network traffic in real time.
Speaker 1: Real time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then there's Splunk, which is probably the most popular. It can handle huge amounts of data from all sorts of sources.
Speaker 1: I've heard a splunk. So many great options, but I'm curious how would we use these visualizations in a real world scenario.
Speaker 2: Let's say you're doing a security audit for a big company. You've got tons of data from firewalls, intrusion detection systems, vulnerability scans, everything.
Speaker 1: Mountains of data.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and you have to present your findings to a bunch of people, some technical, some not trying to explain it all with words and spreadsheets.
Speaker 1: YEI yeah, that would be a nightmare.
Speaker 2: But with data visualization, it's a whole different story. You can create these compelling visuals that show the company's security posture in a way that everyone can understand.
Speaker 1: So you're not just giving them data, You're telling them a story exactly.
Speaker 2: You could use a heat map to show them where the most suspicious activity is happening on their network. You could use bar charts to compare their security to industry standards.
Speaker 1: Ah, so they can see where they need to improve.
Speaker 2: You got it. It's way more effective than just giving them a dry technical report. Plus it makes it easier to get buy in for security improvements, right.
Speaker 1: Because they can actually see.
Speaker 2: The risks exactly. Speaking of which, let's talk about the business side of security.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the money. How do we justify investing in all the security stuff?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. In today's world, you have to show the value of every investment. Security is no different.
Speaker 1: So how do we do that?
Speaker 2: Well, first, we need to understand the cost of a security breach, and there's more to a thing you might think, like what. There are the direct costs, of course, things like losing data, having to recover your systems, legal fees, and maybe even findes if you didn't follow regulations.
Speaker 1: That adds up quickly, it does.
Speaker 2: But then there are the indirect costs. Those are harder to measure but can be just as bad. Give me an exampletation. Think about what happens when a company has a big data breach. People lose trust, they might not want to do business with you anymore.
Speaker 1: Right, You lose customers and maybe even potential investors.
Speaker 2: Exactly so, the cost of a breach goes way beyond just the immediate financial hit. You have to factor in the long term impact on your brand and your relationship with customers.
Speaker 1: It's about the big picture, it is, and.
Speaker 2: That's why it's so important to make a strong business case for security. Investments. We need to move away from the fear tactics and focus on the data. Show them the numbers.
Speaker 1: Okay, so how do we present a good business case?
Speaker 2: Well, there are a few financial tools we can use. ROI is a common.
Speaker 1: One, Return on investment. I've heard of that one.
Speaker 2: It's about measuring how profitable an investment is. And then there's net present value or MPV, which takes into account the time value of money.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm following. What else?
Speaker 2: And then there's the internal rate of return or IRR. It calculates how profitable an investment is over time.
Speaker 1: So it can show them how investing in security will pay off in the long run exactly.
Speaker 2: And as we see more and more cyber attacks, there's another tool that's becoming really important. Cyber liability insurance.
Speaker 1: Cyber liability insurance, what's that.
Speaker 2: It's like a safety net for businesses. Yeah, if you get hit with a cyber attack, this insurance can help cover the costs things like those legal fees we talked about, notification expenses, credit monitoring for your customers, maybe even some of those fines.
Speaker 1: So it helps you recover financially from an attack.
Speaker 2: You got it. It's becoming a must have for any business that's serious about security.
Speaker 1: This whole discussion about the business side of security has been really eye opening.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to hear that it's not just about the technology, it's about the business impact.
Speaker 1: And I see how data visualization can really help bridge that gap between the technical folks and the business folks, help everyone understand the risks and the opportunities exactly.
Speaker 2: When you can visualize the data, it becomes a lot more real and a lot easier to grasp.
Speaker 1: Well, I think we've covered a lot of ground in the second part of our deep dive datuation the financial side of security, cyberliability, insurance, it's all connected.
Speaker 2: It is. Doctor Noel really makes you think about security from a different perspective.
Speaker 1: It does security is an investment, not just an expense. But let's take a break for now and absorb all this information. We'll be back soon to wrap up our deep dive into practical intrusion analysis. Welcome back. So we've talked about all these great tools and techniques, but how do we actually put all of this into practice. How do we create a solid security plan?
Speaker 2: Well, that's where security standards and frameworks come in. Think of them like blueprints for building a secure network.
Speaker 1: Blueprints okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: They give you a structured approach, a roadmap for implementing all the security measures. One of the most well known is the ISO twenty seven zero zero one two seven zero zero series. It covers a ton of.
Speaker 1: Ground, so it's like a comprehensive guide to information security.
Speaker 2: You got it. And then there are industry specific frameworks like the PCIDSS, the Payment Card into Street Data Security Standards.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, pci DSS, I've heard of that one. It's all about protecting credit card data, right.
Speaker 2: That's the one. If you handle credit card information, you got to follow those rules. It's all about preventing data breaches and fraud.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. So these frameworks that are like essential tools for any organization that wants to take security seriously.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, But there's a catch. They're not one size fits all. Every organization is different with its own unique needs. You got to find the right framework or adapt it to fit your specific circumstances.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about following the rules blindly. You got to be smart about it.
Speaker 2: That's where security experts can really help. They can guide you through the process, make sure you're doing everything right and create a custom security program that actually works for you.
Speaker 1: It's like having a security coach.
Speaker 2: Exactly, someone who's been there, done that. And remember, security is not a one time thing. It's a journey.
Speaker 1: Right. Technology keeps changing, New threats pop up all the time. We have to be ready to adapt, you got it.
Speaker 2: We have to stay informed about new vulnerabilities, new tack techniques, new best practices. It never stops.
Speaker 1: And that's why resources like doctor Newell's book are so valuable. It gives you a solid foundation in security and practical advice you can actually use even as things change.
Speaker 2: I agree, whether you're a seasoned pro or just starting out, practical intrusion analysis is a great place to start.
Speaker 1: I know some people are intimidated by cybersecurity. It seems so complex and technical. Where do you even begin?
Speaker 2: I know what you mean. It can definitely seem overwhelming at first, but honestly, there are so many resources out there to help you. Online courses, certifications, conferences, and don't forget about books like the one we've been talking about right.
Speaker 1: So many ways to learn, and don't underestimate the power of community. There are amazing online forums and groups where security people share their knowledge and support each other.
Speaker 2: You learn so much from other people's experiences. Cybersecurity is a team sport.
Speaker 1: Well said, we've come to the end of our deep dive into practical intrusion analys It's been a fascinating journey, hasn't it.
Speaker 2: It really has. We've covered so much ground, from the basics of networking to all those advanced techniques like GID, and we even talked about the business side of security.
Speaker 1: I hope our listeners feel empowered to take control of their own security.
Speaker 2: I hope so too.
Speaker 1: Remember knowledge is power, Stay curious, stay informed, and stay vigilant. The world of cybersecurity is waiting for you.
Speaker 2: And keep tuning in to the Deep Dive for more deep dives into the world of technology.
Speaker 1: Until next time.