Speaker 1: Welcome to the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham. If you have a comment, send it to me Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detactives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com slash Radio Detectives. Well, before we do get started, I do want to encourage you to pick up your copy of my first detective novel, Slim Incorporated. We've got four and five star reviews on on Amazon and it's a nice mix of classic and modern style of detective fiction set against the backdrop of the Otaho Governor's race. I think you'll enjoy it as available as a paperback or also as an ebook and now on audiobook. To pickup Slim Incorporated today, and you can view all of my books at stored our Great Detectives dot net. Well here now from March fourteenth, nineteen fifty is today's episode of the Adventures of Philip Marlow. The Vodal statistic.
Speaker 2: Get this and get it straight. Crime is a sucker's road. Those who travel it wind up in the gut of the prison of the grave. This time of ca hop knocked me down a flight of stas an honest woman was strangled by a green silk sash, and a simpering dandy was shot at bit all because of a run of the mail Act six five hundred miles away. It happened like this.
Speaker 3: On the pen of Raymond Chendler. Outstand they go through crime fiction comes his most famous character in the Adventures of Philip Marlowe now with Gerald Moore starred as Philip Marlowe. We bring you tonight. It's exciting story. The vital statistics.
Speaker 2: Hey boy, give me a paper.
Speaker 4: What do you like?
Speaker 2: Graecis coming to clutch min How about some news far here you are, thank you, Hang out of my way, They take it easy.
Speaker 5: Drive away from here.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, Wait a minute. What is it got to help me? On? Being followed in just a minute, says that light screen driveway.
Speaker 6: You hurried?
Speaker 2: Please, okay, okay. Here was streamlined, close cropped hair, the color of a smoky sun and set the low heeled slippers, brocaded and brogs, and in between address that conformed us close and smooth as lacquer on a Chinese vase. I made four turns and four blocks and pulled into the curb and stop. You stabbed to look at me with a pair of shop jade green eyes that said life had always been nothing but a calculated risk. And she stepped out of the car and smiled.
Speaker 5: You were a big hell brother.
Speaker 2: Thanks good bar, and not just like that, baby, Come here. I don't like being left out on a limb.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: Look, you did me a favor, okay, but we drop it right here. It's trouble. You wouldn't like it.
Speaker 2: On the contrary, it's business like keeping my own nose clean. I'm a private detective, but I didn't issue any invitation for you to jump into.
Speaker 6: My car a private detective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who's chasing your baby? The law? You can tell me out here on the straighter inside over a drink.
Speaker 5: I'll take the drink. I need it. Maybe I need you too. This might be a break. I'm missus Terry Lebar and.
Speaker 2: You're mallow Philip Marlow. Who you're running from? Missus Lebarn?
Speaker 5: A woman in slack. I don't know who she is and why she's following me, but every time I look back, she's there. The second day, both yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, say look, why haven't you talked it over with your local policeman.
Speaker 5: Are you working for me, private detective? That all depends, all right, I'm a merchant Chinese silks, not a little shop for six percent profit, but wholesale quit with cash forty percent?
Speaker 2: Uh huh, so what's the point?
Speaker 5: No police? All it takes is a rumor of police, and I'll have doors closed on me from Seattle to Mexico.
Speaker 2: Good evening.
Speaker 6: May I get you something?
Speaker 5: I'm Martini?
Speaker 2: Please play you too, winn Yes, right away. This gets us back to the woman in slacks.
Speaker 5: Huh yeah, here mallow, fifty and fifty one hundred dollars. I want you to locate that woman, find out who she is and why she's after me?
Speaker 2: Will you not without a few more effects, for instance, because she had some connection with your business?
Speaker 5: No, I have two men working with me, A strong one named Harlan Casey, who sees that my cash gets safely to where it's going, and a smart one named Joe Temple, who knows what to buy with it. She doesn't belong to either of them.
Speaker 2: Are you sure positive?
Speaker 5: Casey hates all women, even me, I think, And Joe Temple, well, Joe's a wonderful guy, you hint like a woman falling in love with a fellow named Joe Temple.
Speaker 2: Can't they talk about it further?
Speaker 5: Why Temple and Katy have been in San Francisco all week on a deal?
Speaker 2: A big deal.
Speaker 5: It'll make or break. It's every set I have is tied up in it.
Speaker 2: What about you and Joe Temple?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, perhaps this will explain. I planned to go away this weekend, but I changed my mind because I didn't want to missus letters. I know it sounds funny, but it's true.
Speaker 2: Those must be some letters.
Speaker 5: They are like the one I got this morning. It's half business, all right, complete account of how hard he and Casey worked for me yesterday in San Francisco. But the rest of it is to me personally.
Speaker 2: I don't want to sound old fashioned missus Lebarb.
Speaker 6: But what about my husband?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was a mistake. I couldn't live with one thing. I can't Stan Marlow was being lied to. It leaves me vindictive. I'm suing for divorce right now. Vince lebar is a human elite, just cold and spineless and parasitic is the real thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, but why would your hitting your husband put a woman in slice on your trail. I don't know, all right, Terry, I'll worry about that too. Any idea where I can start?
Speaker 5: Just one? I pulled a switch on her yesterday model for about an hour. I traveled to the corner of Wilshire and Losienagether and lost her in traffic. There are several dancing schools around there. Is that worth anything?
Speaker 2: Maybe? What kind of car was she driving?
Speaker 5: We were both walking. She's tall and brunette, and I've seen todes with nicer eyes.
Speaker 2: Can't guarantee anything.
Speaker 5: I'll keep my fingers crossed. Marlow here take the hundred do which you can report to me at my place.
Speaker 6: Two or four Beechwood Circle.
Speaker 2: Okay, pardon, share your drinks? Oh thanks here, Thank you, sir, to your success private dependent, see your health silk merchant drink cording. Slugging it down was no way to treat a good dry martini, but I figured it was time. I was on my way. I drove out the Wheelshare in Losienegas and slowed down enough to look at all four corners. It was a drug store with a specialized garbage cans to drive in called Scutties. A branch to the Bank of Los Angeles and the flying red Horse over a mobile gas station. I drove on again. When I spotted a pair of black slacks going into a dancing studio, I half blocked down. It looked like a lead. But after two hours of staring at knobby knees and shorts and bulging hips and bloomers, all knocking themselves out for a mythical cleek lighted future, I was finally convinced that it was a dead end. Now. I got back into my car and headed up into the hills for Beechwood Circle in the slim hope that Terry could give me something more to go on. Her house at two o four was low and dainty and half hidden behind the tough, slender grace of a bamboo grove. The walk was guarded by a white marble Lion of Korea in the front door. When I finally found it turned out to be a sliding panel in a wall of oriental lettice work. As the door slid open, I was looking down the barrel of a snub nosed pistol felt very steady in the hands of a heart eyed brunette in a pair of black slacks.
Speaker 7: You've been looking high and low for me. Haven't your peeper ever since you left that day? I might have been, You're not the brightest.
Speaker 6: Character in the world.
Speaker 7: In spite of what you and your friends think.
Speaker 6: I spotted your car when she got in.
Speaker 7: It wasn't too tough to tag, where's Terry sleeping off a hangover from better day?
Speaker 2: To get the chatter? Where is she?
Speaker 7: Come on in and look? And that's no suggestion, sailor as an order. Move over there to the top.
Speaker 6: Of the stage.
Speaker 2: Sure, that's a good snot.
Speaker 6: Boy, you're late.
Speaker 5: You know I got what I came for, and now I'm in a hurry.
Speaker 2: Turn around looks oh oh? There were ten stairs down to the basement, and with a chivalry and forced by the forty five, I hit all with the first three. By the time I worked all the kingshout and was back upstairs again, she was gone. I started through the house, then slowly from one room to another, turning on lights as I went looking for I knew it was going to be a very sick plant. Well. I got as far as the study, where somebody had gone through the desk draws with what must have been a snowplow, and I still hadn't found Terry. I got that number feeling in my stomach. I started out a side door that opened into the patio, but then I heard a whistle from the front walk. I cut back through the house instead and waited near the door. Erry, Hey, Derry, can I come in this little Joe the Fresco kid? What happened your weekend trip? Honeia? Who are you? What do you want? Hi? Temple? How do you know me? Missus Lebbar hired me today just after she canceled the weekend. She gave me a rundown. You hired you? What do you mean? I'm a private detective named Mallow. Why would she hire you? Because she was being followed by a brunette and slack. She didn't like it. And that's all the information you're going to get. Relax, you say, Terry, isn't here, isn't home? Not so far? No man? Back here to the study, Temple. I want you to look at Temple. Somebody's gone through the desk in an awful hurry. Yeah, yeah, I see what you mean. Maybe you know something about what's missing. Huh. You and missus Leabar were fairly close when I'm told the letters. The letters are gone. Terry kept my letters in this bottom drawer. By the way, Temple, where's your sidekick Colin Casey?
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 9: We both left San Francisco yesterday. He hates to fly, so I assume he took a train. He ought to be here in La Now. Well, you don't think Casey's mixed up in.
Speaker 2: This, do you. I don't know.
Speaker 10: It could be Vince Lebar. That's who it was that got those letters. It was Vince Lebar. They were really love letters. The business part was nothing. And Lebar is the dog in the manger kind of guy who wants everyone to be unhappy. If he had it's that fits Temple.
Speaker 2: With a smart lawyer, your letters to Terry becomes great a material for a counter suit for divorce. Sure he could make it stick and to get a fat settlement at a community property laws. And listen, here's what you doll. It's it's Terry, Terry temper wait Terry. Look at her, Marlow, look at her.
Speaker 6: She's dead.
Speaker 2: Matthews, hamside Mallow. Matthews is a dead one out here. A woman and got a pencil.
Speaker 11: Always go ahead.
Speaker 2: I'm at two old four Beechwood Circle. Woman was a client he was traangled with a green silk sash my laundry pajamas, Matthews. Sometime within the last I'd say hour. Her name was Terry Lebar and Ry Lebar.
Speaker 11: Wait a minute, month to listen. We gotta tell a type from a sheriff and empire are a gun come in five minutes ago?
Speaker 2: So wait a minute, Yeah.
Speaker 11: Says some guy named Jess Freeman form La was killed there this morning in a traffic accident. Was loaded with big dough, but doesn't look the type. The only other identification on him was a business card from one Terry Lebar. Yeah, you gotta help polanswer for that.
Speaker 2: Uh Temple, do you know anything about a man named Jess Freeman? He was killed in Ourgan today in a traffic accident. Had one of Terry's cards? Huh Freeman? Yeah, no, no, I don't remember how dice Matthew, what are you talking to him? Joe Temple, one of Terry Levar's associates here, haven't heard of Jess Freeman, said.
Speaker 11: Prince to Washington. The tattoo says he was in the Navy once still open him down now about out there? Any idea will killed him?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Maybe a brunette and slacks. I think got no where to find it.
Speaker 11: Well, it's dandy. Sit until we get them. I'll be right out there.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, lieutenant, But look right now, it's only a hunch. But if I move fast and quiet, I might be able to develop it into something worthwhile. Okay, okay, but keep.
Speaker 11: In touch Field.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, I still can't believe it about Terry Marlowe.
Speaker 2: Now look, look, why don't you just go home and take it easy. I'll tell Lieutenant Matthews where you can find your.
Speaker 9: Thanks thirteen ten Marlboro Drawing right now.
Speaker 2: Tell me you know where Vince Leabar lives.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, the Laverne apartments on Rossmore. He's got a suite on the top floor seven eight seven A. And if it's any help, he drives a new Green Nash Sedan. But I thought you said that it was that brunette.
Speaker 2: I did. I did, And if Vince Leabar can't lead me to the lady in long pants, I'll leave my shirt. What's more, Matthews, we'll see to it personally. Yes, what do you want? I'm quiet conversation with Vince Leabar. I'm Philip marlow private detect. How exciting had I known you were coming out of bake the cake? Oh you're breaking me out. I was hired by your wife. Today your wife is dead, Labar. She was murdered, kerry murdered. Yeah, no, I you don't mind, I'll come in. Huh she was killed because of a packet of letters Labar. Oh, no kind of or a cinched to cause a big stir anybody's divorce cord started biking up to swing a countersuit.
Speaker 8: I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Let us let us Joe Temple's let us to terry the ones you arranged to have stolen tonight. Oh you must be crazy. That wasn't part of the plan, Labla. That was one of those bum deals, A robbery that got out of hand, wind up as a murder. Where is she? Lablah? Who's the brunett and slacks? And where do I find her? You get out of here. I'll have the police shut out not only steel letters but as trays too. Huh. Like it's coy little number here at dog house. He's gott he's driving will shin Lessiga. Okay, that's all. Oh, now a gone man. They say you're yellow la blah. But you're not. You're just stupid.
Speaker 8: The terrace outside those doors, Mallow, those with the iron grill, going out there, go on. I don't think Terry's dead, and I don't think she hired you. I think you're working for that lousy louse Joe Temple, and if so, he'll need a battalion of private detectives before I'm thrue.
Speaker 2: Through right now, Laby, you're too dumb to see it. Go on clear over the.
Speaker 8: Rail, your back to me, seven floors down, marlow to a concrete driveway, just in case you get jumpy.
Speaker 3: In just a moment, the second act of Philip marlow But first, most people like to know what to expect. But on at least one CBS show, a great part of the fun is in what turns up on the spur of the moment. That show is Groucho Marks Great Quiz You Bet Your Life, heard every Wednesday Night on most of the same CBS stations. Now with our star Gerald Moore, we returned to the second act of Philip Marlowe and tonight's story The Vital Statistic, the.
Speaker 2: Moment Vince Lebar and the courage Caliber thirty two we held in his right hand made it out of the apopment. On the run for the elevator. I kicked through the plate glass door, and I spent the next two minutes ultimately swearing, straining, and nicking myself while I played contortionist in and out of the fancy snake grill work in my wrought iron cage, until finally I reached the inside hand. I was free out and over to the telephone in a big hurry, because for my money, the icing on Labar's voice left Joe Temple someplace on the short side. What the life insurance people call good risk? Hello, Marlow Temple listened hard. Your life's in danger? What Leabar? You had him tagged from the first after those letters? All right? But what about the girl in swat Well? I think she might have a connection with a drive in on Wilshore and Losienego, a place called Scotty's In. I'm gonna check it now. Tell me any word from Terry's muscle man yet? Yeah, oh nothing, Marlow?
Speaker 11: But look, can I meet you and talking?
Speaker 2: No? No, Vince Lebar had a gun and a short tempa when he left here. I think it's working easier. Just hey, waye from open windows temple. I'll caught you. He's got his inn. Was eating on the run in the finest California tradition. A mammoth circle of steel and the glass painted a dazzling yellow and blue, surrounded by a half a dozen cars containing teenaged couples with smudged lipstack and the giggles. The second after I pulled in and parked something in slacks with false eyelashes, a waist you could span with a handcuff, and a fixed front line chorus girls smiled with the cord mark ginger against my wind shoe, handed me a menu that still had the froth from an earlier customer's milkshake in one corner. Well famous dress coffee, ginger, clean information.
Speaker 6: Oh with you again?
Speaker 12: Look, baby, what I told you on the phone ten minutes ago?
Speaker 2: Still go huh about? What about Rose Fassetta?
Speaker 12: The girl you described long black hair, are nice shape, you're infatuated, but you don't have the name an address.
Speaker 2: So I was nice.
Speaker 12: I gave the name, told you to look the addressed up in the phone book.
Speaker 6: Period.
Speaker 2: Don't be so lazy, baby, Wait a minute, Ginger, I didn't call you before, but a dime cup of coffee. You'll bring you a ten buck tip if you tell me who did Hey?
Speaker 12: You want the guy who called? I don't know any names, but you're not him. He didn't talk up like you do.
Speaker 2: But what's all?
Speaker 12: The first baby roads sat has got a guy she's spoken for besides the handsome phone.
Speaker 2: You, sweetheart, this is business strictly, believe me. What's the address?
Speaker 12: Come on twenty four to twenty eight even hers drive bottom floor.
Speaker 2: Thanks, here, here's a ten I promise.
Speaker 12: You no, never mind, her name was pretty him, So why should I judge you besides beside what I like the way you said, sweetheart, come on back sometime, will you, baby?
Speaker 5: When you want more coffee?
Speaker 2: Okay, when I want more than coffee and less than murder, I will stay out of a ginger. It definitely double talk with the effect was what I wanted. Ginger with mouth wide open and staring after me like my ears were on backward. That way, she might be scared out of making a simple curiosity spike telephone call in the popular roads for setacase would trumpet my arrab loud, clear and prematurely. Ten minutes later, I was poked away from number twenty eight, twenty four, Havenhurst. As I got out of my car and started to taut the place, I found Vince Labar's green sedan on the opposite side of the street and carefully tucked into the shadows of a pair of long head taper tries. It was a good time for me to be careful. So when I knocked on the front door, which showed yellow light at the threshold and with the starting point for something not too close to music, I did it with the butt end of my thirty eighty Yeah is it ziggy front of Ginger's. She asked me to deliver you a message. Rows, All right, what's the message? Why you locked? Sunshine? Is no law against shooting ladies and knocking downstairs. I'll back off. Come on, move, but not too far the moment. I want you in between me and Vince lebar Who look, Angel, it's all real plane. Those suitcases behind you there are packed his cars outside. He's after the letter said oh no ah, there.
Speaker 7: Goes this now bus well paper your openers.
Speaker 2: Think get inside fast.
Speaker 6: Sure sure he played some particular tailor.
Speaker 2: That chair in the desk. Keep your hands in your lap.
Speaker 6: Okay, it'll please you.
Speaker 2: Miss the detective.
Speaker 7: I'll be very glad to after all, you're might guess and I nice.
Speaker 2: Now we talk like a little lady. Harrose Prince Lebo picked up the letters from you as scheduled, and you're getting ready to run because you killed Terry and you'd rather not be around for the question and answer period. Right, I didn't kill her.
Speaker 6: I just knocked it down.
Speaker 2: No, you didn't kill it. He just slowed down, a breathing somewhat with a pajama sash. You're wrong, copper, right, doesn't that any other way? Go on? Answer it?
Speaker 6: Who is it?
Speaker 2: Mister Shirley? What's going on then?
Speaker 7: Mister Setta, now the jerk who lives in the top half of this place along with a few thousands, don't open this door.
Speaker 2: I'm going to call the police. I just think we've heard a noise, did I? Mister Shirley?
Speaker 4: Wow, what's going on in here?
Speaker 2: Who are you? Never mind that? Now I get on the phone, call the police. Oh, oh yes, of course, certainly.
Speaker 6: Operate, Oh operate it.
Speaker 2: I want police her.
Speaker 6: Look here, you're a little mixed up about something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're just a kid who straightened me out. Just letters, you've got a Terry's place where written by Joe Temple, was your boyfriend Vince heading for Temple when he left here?
Speaker 6: I can't, I don't right, Maybe you wont now leave me alone?
Speaker 2: Not quite, mister Shirley that desk next year. There's a gun keep it on at the law right, ladies wanted for murder? Yes you should? Yeah, then shoot Shirley fast because if you don't, you kill you tell the cops. I'll fill in the blank, Slad not wait, Why must Julie? But it we both watch because a guy named Joe Temple needs my help a lot more than you do. The home address Temple had given me turned out to be lights in a quiet house on a quiet street named Marlboro. I was there, out of my car and running for the front door when they came. I chucked my gun out of the holes that got close into the building and moved up until I was on the line with a pair of half open patio doors. And I saw something I hadn't expected. On the floor that was littered with the broken lamb, pieces of oas and overturned furniture was Vince Laba, doubled up dead and standing over him, his face the color of soft cement of thirty two dangling and his limp right hand was Joe Temple. When he saw me, he tried to talk with the words jammed in his throat. When I stepped into the room, he began to tremble. Oh, I shot him. I couldn't help it. He was going to down Temple. Get hold of yourself. Got any brandy around over on that table near the phone. Yeah, he was out of his mind, an absolute mania. He said he was going to kill me. They lunched for him. There was a fight, and you came up with a gun. Huh. Started from me again. I pulled the trigger, and then I did it again a third time.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think this. He brought the letters back, Marlowe. They're inside on the floor where he threw them.
Speaker 9: He said they didn't mean anything anymore, that he and that girl in the slacks had taken.
Speaker 2: Care of Terry Temples. He seemed to go crazy.
Speaker 9: He said I was a wife steamer, the cause of his trouble, and then I deserved death.
Speaker 2: Well that's what I dumped at him. It was terrible, marlow Yeah. Well, between the two of us, we've just about got all the answers, which is usually a good time to call the police. What do you mean just about got all the answers, Marlow? What else is there? Jess Freeman, the guy Lieutenant Matthews told us about when we were over at Terry's place. Remember, Oh, yes, that traffic crash and Empire oreicon. But why should that figure in this, Marlow? It shouldn't, but I think it does, Marlow Matthews. Another dead one on the Terry Lebar case. Vince Lebara husband. He was shot, Yeah, a guy named Joe Temple. It was self defense. We're coming in, Matthews. I'll take that gun. Temple, you get the letters. Let's go, and we got into my car and started downtown. Temple was more relaxed, and he talked easily until we passed Vince Lava's sparkling green sedan parked the block away, once again close into the shadows and once again empty realm. The sight of it closed him up tight for the rest of the trip. When we walked into police headquarters and through the quarter of a mile of glossy carter leading to the door mark homicide, he didn't open up any But it didn't matter really, because it's police rule never to talk to two men about the same thing at the same time. I was first. Matthews said hello without shaking hands, waved me into an uncomfortable seat, and then with his pipe, well, I brought him up to date and it was his turn.
Speaker 4: The Rose Faceta killed Terry Labar so that she could get the letters Joe Temple had written. Did this so that her boyfriend, Vince Labar could raise a lot of fuss in divorce court with the letters, file a counter suit, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: That's the whole deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, with Temple making it a double ahead of by shooting Vince from Vince came to kill him.
Speaker 2: That's it, Matthews. If you believe Temple, huh. And if Temple hadn't slipped, Now, what are you getting at, Phil? When I was on the phone with you earlier at night, you asked me if Temple or I knew anything about it. Jess Freeman was killed in a traffic accident and Empire, Oregon, right, right, But you didn't no, no, nor did I mention the town of Empire. It's a Temple. Get a half hour ago, just before I called you, Temple came up with that name.
Speaker 4: Oh, then Molly, hold my calls, Mooney, Molly, I mean that Joe Temple killed Terry lebar Rose.
Speaker 2: Just knocked her out and got the letters. Temple strangled while she was still unconscious. But why because a guy identified as Jess Freeman himself killed in a traffic accident. So a guy who I think was actually Holland Casey, Terry's two fisted assistant, together with Joe Temple, was crossing the boss Lager and that left Temple in a very hot spot save himself. He had a kill. Can you approve all this mode No, not a word of it. It's a conjecture, but conjecture that fits Matthews. When Temple found Terry unconscious in the gard and that was his chance, he took her. Look, Phil, Phil, you're guessing at night? Sure, sure, I'm guessing, but not in the dock. I know how these guys think an act. I've done too many cases not to know. And I listen for a minute, WILLI your Matthews? All right? Look, Temple had to get those letters back, right, the last one in particular, because in the last one, this is the way it's got a figure. He had lied to Terry about being in San Francisco with Casey yesterday when actually Casey was an Empire Oregon. When Casey was killed up there, the fact was bound to come out. Yeah, it's it's a good run. You let me finish, please, all right, finish. Temple knew Terry would find out. He knew that she couldn't stand a liar and a partner who double cross it. Temple knew that she'd get him and ruin him if it took up the rest of her life. So he came back to get the letter before she could read it. But she hadn't left Towna's plan, ironically enough, because she didn't want to miss one of his letters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but look, I'm a policeman still, I got a hat, all right, all right, you're the policeman.
Speaker 2: You got labs and technicians. You'll get the facts, and I'll bet you figures, just like I said. Okay, Phil, okay. And another thing, Matthews. But when you talk to Temple who's holding the packet of letters now like a real good boy, Yeah, you'll find the last one missing. It'll be in his pocket. I'll bet you on that. I'll let her to do it. Lieutenant.
Speaker 4: There was one exception, Phil, How did Temple maneuver all this getting the letters from Rose, paset it then setting up at self defense deal?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but my guess is that Vince got the letters from Rose just before I arrived at her place.
Speaker 4: But when he got into his car, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Temple was waiting, slugged him, drove back to his own house, dropped the body in the living room, shot him when he heard you.
Speaker 2: Coming, something like that. Man. See if you can't get it out that way, Oh, no worry, Phil, if it's true, we'll get it out. It'll be true.
Speaker 11: Oh.
Speaker 2: Now, would you ask mister Temple to come in, please, mister Mullow, I'll be glad to Lieutenant, say Temple. Lieutenant like to see him, all.
Speaker 9: Right, Marlowe, I think I can speak coherently now.
Speaker 2: Good. Good. They like to get the facts straight in there. Go ahead, Yes, of course, good night, marlow and thanks for your help. Oh good evening, mister Temple. Sit down and stop talking. When I got into my car, the new day was starting to push the black out of the sky, and the early morning air smelled fresh and cool and clean. Yeah, the whole night had been confused and complicated, but I knew that by the time Matthews miss with Temple, there'd be no questions left unanswered. That'd be great, wouldn't it if everything could be that way, no questions left unanswered.
Speaker 3: The Adventures of Philip Marlowe Bringing You Raymond Chandler's most famous character, star Gerald Moore, are produced and directed by Norman McDonald and are written for radio by Robert Mitchell and Gene Levitt. Gerald Moore may currently be seen starring in Republics The Blonde Bandit. Featured in the cast were Charlotte Lawrence Elliott Reed, Doris Singleton, Georgia Ellis, Bill Lally.
Speaker 2: And Hugh Thomas.
Speaker 3: Detective Lieutenant Matthews is played by Larry Dubkin. The special music is composed and conducted by Richard Arurun be sure and be with us again next week.
Speaker 2: When Philip Marlowe says it's time of bride to be a corpse in a plush bungalow and a southern trawl behind a gun all had one thing in common. They moved through the same deep shadow.
Speaker 3: Remember you'll find George Burns and Gracie Allen and their good friend Bill Goodwin here on most of these same CBS stations every Wednesday night, in the half hour following the Bing Crosby Show. This is Roy Rowan speaking. Now stay tuned for Pursuit, which follows immediately. This is CBS where Burns and Allen are heard every Wednesday night the Columbia Broadcasting System.
Speaker 13: This is Andrew Ryans with OTR Westerns dot com, where we stream live old time Radio Westerns twenty four hours a day, seven days a week with a special twist. You select the tracks that get to be played. We've got a thousand different episodes from shows like Gunsmoke, Tales of the Texas Rangers, Escape, Genautry, and many more. Come check us out at OTR Westerns dot com slash live again. That's OTR Westerns dot com slash Live. You're listening to the great detectives of old time Radio with Adam Graham. And now let's get back into the show.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, Well, I somewhat more sedate reveal of the murderer in some ways makes a lot more sense than usual when Marlow will reveal what he knows or you know, not just Marlow, but they're a wide variety of different detectives who will basically tell what they know and put their lives in peril. Marlow really does the smart thing, you know, just pretends that he's totally been taken in and then once he gets into headquarters, then he reveals to the police that he's actually wise to what's going on. But at any rate, that will do it for today. Join us back here tomorrow for an episode of Nick Carter, and next Wednesday, it's another episode of the Adventures of Philip Marlow. In the meantime, sender comments to Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com. Slash Radio Detectives from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Grahamson and off