Speaker 1: You're listen Saints KPI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: The bill handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio f bill handle here. It is a Monday morning, June thirtieth, and a lot is going on right now.
Speaker 1: This Senate is voting to.
Speaker 2: Move forward or to vote into law.
Speaker 1: The big beautiful tax bill.
Speaker 2: And there is obviously a lot of fight about this because it is a comprehensive bill that President Trump has put forward, and it is I tell you, I've never seen one version versus the other version where they're so diametrically opposed.
Speaker 1: It is its astounding.
Speaker 2: The Congressional Budget Office, which is nonpartisan, has analyzed the bill and says this is going to cost a chunk of money. The deficit is going to increase dramatically. The White House says that's absolutely not true. It's going to go the way. It'll be more jobs that will be created, Americans will pay fewer taxes, there'll be more money.
Speaker 1: It's we're just going to do better.
Speaker 2: And the Democrats are saying, no, that's not true. Here's the problem that I have with it. I don't mind a divergent view. What I do mind is in this case, you know, you know, I attack Trump a lot because he's not my favorite guy for a whole bunch of reasons. But to threaten a lawmaker with two things. You don't vote the way I'm telling you to vote, I'm going to primary you out.
Speaker 1: You're done as an elected official.
Speaker 2: You don't vote the way I tell you to vote, you are against the Constitution of the United States, and you are not a true American. There is no such thing as an opposition to the administration that is effectively not a traitor to this constitution.
Speaker 1: That one is new, That one is new.
Speaker 2: Presidents understand that there is bipartisanship, that it really exists. Democracy is about opposing sides and legislation and give and take. There is no give and take here, there is none. I am the Constitution, I am America, and if you vote against me, you are not.
Speaker 1: That is a killer for me. I got really I gotta tell you my heart.
Speaker 2: Roamost broke yesterday when the President threatened Tom Tillis of North Carolina Senator Tom Tillis, who is voting against the bill, and he made it real simple. The President did you're out. I'm going to primary you out because you didn't vote the way I'm telling you to vote, and I'm not exaggerating there. And so he came back and said, you know what, I quit.
Speaker 1: I'm done. I'm not going to fight it. I'm just not going to deal with this anymore.
Speaker 2: And it is you know, it's tough to accept that we've reached that point. I have a very very tough time with that. Now, what I want to do is get into the bill itself that the Senate is voting for right now, and the bill, even though it is argued that the vast majority of Americans are going to actually get benefit of this bill, that's not quite true. And the issue is is the debt going to increase?
Speaker 1: Is it not?
Speaker 2: Republicans who want to stay and get re elected, both in the House and the Democrats and in the Senate will say absolutely, there's no question.
Speaker 1: We don't believe.
Speaker 2: But we don't believe what the Congressional Budget Office says, although they have a history of believing, but again not this time around. Why because they want to get re elected.
Speaker 1: They don't want to lose.
Speaker 2: Because, unfortunately, but there are not enough legislators out there that are willing to say the way I view the importance of this country is greater than my political career.
Speaker 1: It just doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: No one who wants to get re elected in a Republican Senate or Republican House would ever go against President Trump.
Speaker 1: Ever.
Speaker 2: Do you think that the Republican legislators believe across.
Speaker 1: The board what the President says?
Speaker 2: Do you think that at every point, yes, we'll vote your way, Yes, we'll vote your way, Yes we'll vote your way without one Republican going the other way, or if there is, it's a couple, because reelection is more important than anything else, because what's good for the country anymore is I don't know. I mean, there used to be a time in which legislators you could disagree with them. You could disagree and say, you know what, please don't vote that way, but you would never argue them if they're not voting a way of being treason is or not being American, or not believing in the Constitution.
Speaker 1: That's what we're seeing, all right. Let me go through a little bit of.
Speaker 2: The bill, which, by the way, I like a lot of it because I'm going to save a pile of money. This is good for me in many ways and not good for you. If you're on if you're on Medicaid, not good for you. Although it's unfair by the way, for the attack on the Trump administration saying this cuts medicaid, it does not cut Medicaid.
Speaker 1: What it does is it makes it more.
Speaker 2: Difficult to get Medicaid because they're putting in a work requirement. You have to if you're able bodied, you have to go out and find work.
Speaker 1: Or try to find work. Builto and did exactly the same thing.
Speaker 2: By the way, this is no different than what Clinton did during his administration. You want welfare, well you're not going to get any We want you to work. Go out and prove that you're trying to work. And then if you can't work or you can't find a job, okay, we'll help you out. And there are tons of exceptions to this Medicaid bill. If you're a caregiver, if you're disabled, there's a bunch of rules. So it's not fair to say this is a cut to Medicaid. What it is fair to say is it will be more difficult to get medicaid. And yes, we'll eleven million people lose their Medicaid coverage whatever it is, they'll be in the millions. But you know what the Republican position is, You know what, get a job if there are jobs available, don't sit back on your ass. That's the position. I don't know if I argue you disagree with that one.
Speaker 1: I want to explain a little.
Speaker 2: Bit about what's going on with with the bill, what we're actually looking at. And I just talked about Medicaid, where it is really not a cut, even though everybody is arguing, or the Democrats are.
Speaker 1: Arguing, this is a cut to Medicaid.
Speaker 2: Well, no, it's a cut to people who won't who are able bodied and are considered we're able to work, They're not going to be able to continue on with Medicaid. And so I don't know if that's a cut. It's eleven million people, it is argued, will not be able to get medicaid. All right, Well there the Trump administration is saying, well, you know what you want it, you work, you work, and you can get it. I mean, I don't have a problem with that.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The bill also raises a limit on salt state and local tax deductions.
Speaker 1: Now, state and local tax deductions.
Speaker 2: This is something that Trump put into place to punish California, to punish Connecticut, to punish New York. Up to this point, until Trump instituted this, the amount of money that was paid into state taxes, the amount of money that was paid into property tax was deductible well against federal taxes.
Speaker 1: He stopped that. He made it ten thousand dollars maximum. That's it.
Speaker 2: And believe me, who pays more than ten thousand dollars in local taxes deduction, state taxes, etc.
Speaker 1: Only California, Only New York. That's it. That's the reality. Also, the.
Speaker 2: Green energy tax credits put in by President Biden, that's basically gone. We're not getting into that anymore. Why because it is far more important. Well, climate change doesn't exist in this administration. The only thing that exists is we have to pump more oil out of the ground. We have to help the oil industry, the fossil fuel industry, and anything that goes against that, No, that's not going to work. And beyond that, alternative energy is wokeness.
Speaker 1: It's that simple. Solar is woke.
Speaker 2: Driving your car and putting in gasoline, that's not woke. Also, there's some business related tax cuts which are extended. They were to end this year, and the Trump bill goes it keeps on going for another ten years, actually.
Speaker 1: Spending through the roof, helping.
Speaker 2: Shipbuilding, air superiority, missile defense, military needs up billions of dollars border security. Don't even have to tell you about border security. How much you think is going to be spent on border security? Massive amounts of money, increase the budget completely. Child tax credit, now here is something that a lot of people would be surprised with. The bill includes a temporary increase in the child tax credit, and you wouldn't think that would happen. And it's the child tax credit twenty five hundred dollars through twenty twenty eight. Also, when we talk about tax breaks, and it has argued that tax breaks are only for business and the super wealthy who are going to do great by the way, or will continue doing great.
Speaker 1: It also includes a.
Speaker 2: Tax break for seniors, increased increased deductions for those over sixty five. The one that I don't understand is no tax on tips or overtime. I gotta tell you, I'm taxed for every dime that I make. Why if you will live on tips, why should you not be taxed? Explain that to me? If you work overtime, why should you not be taxed. I don't get that. Now you can argue for political purposes to get votes, et cetera.
Speaker 1: But underlying it all, does that make a lot of sense to me? No, not at all.
Speaker 2: Charitable contributions increases those amounts that you can make and get tax deductions.
Speaker 1: And so if you make a reasonable if you make.
Speaker 2: A high income, and you give a lot of money to charity, this helps you enormously. And the corporations are going to do much better with this, and the ultra wealthy you're going to do just fine.
Speaker 1: But at the same time.
Speaker 2: The people who are poor are going to do better. And so something has to give. Oh, and military spending is going to go through the roof. Some's got to give, and you know it is. It's the deficit's going to increase. Now the Trump administration says, absolutely not, we will make money.
Speaker 1: Huh. How is that post.
Speaker 2: Making money with these kinds of cuts and further expenditures in military and border and other expenses. And so we are told ignore what the Congregual Budget Office is telling you, that's fake news. We will tell you what the budget is, which, by the way, every administration does that. You know, they go, hey, we're going to tell you what the budget and then the Senate and the House vote on it, and then they reconcile, et cetera. But there will it's going to be very tough to reconcile, very tough to reconcile. Why because if you don't vote, if you're a Republican and don't vote for this bill, you're basically a trader and you hate the Constitution, and.
Speaker 1: You'll be uh, you know, you'll be primaried out.
Speaker 2: If you're a Democrat, you already hate the Constitution, that gets easy. That's not a problem. You know you hate you hate America, all right, So we'll see which way the vote is going. And I think with the Senate it is doing is they're doing bits and pieces of it. They're looking at the amendments. And is Trump going to get everything he wants? No?
Speaker 1: Is he going to get most of what he wants? Yes? Yes? Why is that?
Speaker 2: Because he controls the Republican Party. The control of the Republican Party has the majority.
Speaker 1: His bill which is being presented to the Senate.
Speaker 2: It passed by one vote one in the House, of course, that's a mandate, that's.
Speaker 1: An overwhelming vote.
Speaker 2: And the Senate is less apt to turn around and give him everything he wants.
Speaker 1: Well, let's just say there's a couple sentators.
Speaker 2: Won't one Rampaul, who never votes for any kind of spending bill, it doesn't matter. He doesn't want to spend money and always say it's always been a super hot and hates the deficit and hates the national debt. And now the other one is Tom Tillis of North Carolina, who has.
Speaker 1: A real problem with this bill and is voting no.
Speaker 2: And the threat was, as I said earlier, the threat was he's going to be primaried out. He will no longer be a Senator because he's going against America, because he has now gone against the Constitution of the United States and he hates America. Well, he says, I'm not running again at this point, I don't care.
Speaker 1: Goodbye.
Speaker 2: I'm voting no, and you can't do much about it. But then again, he doesn't want to be re elected. Realistically, he had a very tough race anyway, They are very very good chance he wouldn't have been reelected, and he knows that, and so this is an easy out for him. All right, tell you something else that's up in the news, and we're in the middle of sort of this mini uproar in general across the country and has to do with tipping. So what happened Saturday night? I did the Lawyer's Philharmonic thing, which I do every year. My kids came and Lindsay came and took a couple of people also out to dinner.
Speaker 1: And it was a pretty pricey dinner. I don't do these very often, but it was.
Speaker 2: It was money, and so I whip out my credit card and back comes the receipt to sign, you know, the credit card statement, and there it is on the on the bill right, the tip right? Do you want to tip eighteen percent? Do you want to tip twenty one percent? Do you want to tip twenty five percent? The service was god awful.
Speaker 1: Food was good. Service was terrible, maybe because they were understaff.
Speaker 2: There were empty tables, I understand, but they wouldn't refill my diet coke more than six times because there just wasn't anybody there.
Speaker 1: And I kept on. I was upset.
Speaker 2: I took my napkin and I waved it over my head and people thought I was telling him their car was ready, that it had been washed.
Speaker 1: That's very embarrassing. By the way, for anybody you're sitting with.
Speaker 2: The point is that the service was got awful, and at the same time I was expected to tip an astronomical amount of money. I ended up leaving ten percent. I don't know the last time I've left ten percent on a tip in years and years. It's all almost automatic. And what happens we are shamed into tipping. It's a shame factor with the tip jars. And I go to a bagel shop, for example, and I order a dozen, two dozen bagels, and the person reaches into the counter, actually the bagels closest to the cash register, right the gal that was helping me, didn't he have to, didn't he have to, didn't even have to walk ten feet to the other end of the counter to pull out the bagels underneath that, I mean, it was right next to her.
Speaker 1: So out came the bagels.
Speaker 2: I brought the cream cheese from the refrigerator, put it all on the counter, and it was thirty bucks and outcomes. I give them a credit card. Do you want to leave eighteen percent? Do you want to leave twenty one percent? You reached into that basket and pulled out a dozen bagels.
Speaker 1: That's what you did, would you like to leave twenty five percent?
Speaker 2: We are all suffering from fatigue, tipping fatigue, Neil.
Speaker 1: You do a lot of restaurant stuff, do you notice that people are just tired of it? And it's just a ridiculous amount of money.
Speaker 3: The only issue is that what people don't understand is that tip is not just going to the server. The server tips out the bartender. The server tips out the the bussers and sometimes even the people in the in the back, depending on how they're set up, chefs and the like. Not the chefs, but the line cooks and the like. So it's more than just the service, unfortunately, it's it's beyond that. But it's a horrible, horrible system period.
Speaker 2: Well, well the matter as we'll put up a sign saying, hey, we expect you to subsidize our employees, thank you very much. So like going into Walmart or going into Costco and they're at the counter, you're handed the bill, your credit card bill, and I sign and there's ay, twenty five percent more because our employee. We don't pay our employees enough. It's a horrible system. And that the tip jars and all that. You know, the only thing a tip jar really is good for for tipping over.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: Take your hand and swipe it across and tip the damn thing over, or you want to tip. My favorite tip is plant your corn in the spring. Have a nice day.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm I'm surprised you haven't seen up to thirty percent because I'm starting to see that more and more.
Speaker 1: It's just mind boggling.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now, there is a new study that just came out and it had to do with AI, and it's called sycophancy or sycophancy, and this is when chatbots excessively flatter the users, reinforcing biases and undermining critical thinking.
Speaker 1: Effectively, what this is is.
Speaker 2: Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the fairest one of all? And you can look like hammered dog crap, and you know what that chatbot.
Speaker 1: Is going to tell you, Hey, aren't you good looking? Wow? It's the best.
Speaker 2: And here's why, because AI is able to figure out what you want to hear. It learns as you're talking. It's learning what your biases are. And by the way, your bias is you want to be right, and most people really don't want to be proven wrong, much like well, you know, people like me don't want to be proven.
Speaker 1: I have no problem being proven wrong, right Neil, Right?
Speaker 3: Amy, Oh you're the smartest Bill. How could we prove you wrong when you're correct all the time?
Speaker 1: Exactly? That is what is going on.
Speaker 2: Open AI recently acknowledge that the latest version of chat GPT, the Large Language Model, has a tone that flatters users agrees with them even when they say something wrong, because they want to hear it, because this is the reality. People want to be told that they are right. People don't like to be told, hey, wait a minute, you're.
Speaker 1: Looking at it wrong. Why don't you take this view?
Speaker 2: Amy, for example, does that to me constantly, is always questioning me whenever I say anything, which is why this is the last week Amy will be on this show.
Speaker 1: Just want to point that out.
Speaker 2: Will, on the other hand, who never disagrees with me, Will is here forever.
Speaker 1: Really yes, yes, I think it. I just don't say it. It doesn't matter. I can see it on your face. So here's what happens.
Speaker 2: There's a study that was just done by this Malahi Ali Khani, a professor of artificial intelligence actually at Northeastern, and.
Speaker 1: I have no idea if it's a manneral woman malahy.
Speaker 2: Anyways, this person has been studying this phenomena of sickophancy, investigates what happens when these large models, the large language models, parrot human inputs and do it too eagerly. For example, it may feel like, let's say you go on and you start asking questions of AI to help you out, to run some research.
Speaker 1: For you or whatever, or talk about politics.
Speaker 2: It may feel like that it's just being polite or easy to talk to, but research shows they can do some real harm and consequences because it doesn't challenge us, it doesn't ask clarifying questions. It reinforces biases, and that's dangerous in any context. But keep in mind politically it's one thing. How about healthcare? How about business law or education? Where you have your given in you go to research on it. You really want to find the answers, and it has figured out everything you've ever said, every question you have ever asked, every conversation you have ever had, and then it starts figuring out you really want to hear what you want to hear, and it is not programmed to go the other way or to challenge. That's the problem.
Speaker 1: That it has.
Speaker 2: That these AI systems don't push back enough. They do not ask are you sure or I'm not confident in that answer? So let me give you an example. This is what Connie comes up with. Think of a doctor prescribing a patient symptoms to an AI assistant, and what the AI does. It confirms the doctor's diagnosis without offering alternative answers, saying here's what the doctor said. However, if you look at the medical research, if you look at his specialty or lack of his specialty, if you look at the statistics, the answer may be something else. Nope, AI reinforces assumptions that are being made instead of offering counter arguments. AI is aware of the problem and they're trying to address it theoretically. But how do you do that when people human nature is we want to hear what's right. We want to hear that we're right, and there's AI learning and it just isn't program to go the other way. It's it may be programmed to be objective, but it's reading what you want to hear at the same time, because that's what we want. Mirror, mirror on the wall. Who is the fairest one of all KFI Am sixty.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Bill handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch my Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app