Speaker 1: Hey, it's Fred. You know I regularly get asked about my all time favorite episodes, and this one comes to mind because our guest is Dave Stockton. Over thirty years as a touring professional, Dave won eleven times on the PGA Tour, including two PGA Championships in nineteen seventy and nineteen seventy six. After that, he joined the Champions Tour in nineteen ninety two and won fourteen times through nineteen ninety seven, including two Senior PGA Championships and the US Senior Open. Later, he went on to become one of the most sought after short game instructors in the world. So in this episode we tried something different as it was two complete episodes in one conversation that was presented at one time to Golf Smarter members behind our paywall and has never been shared publicly before. I know you'll agree with me that there's a lot of really helpful insights and instruction from one of the best. So here's Golf Smarter episode's number four hundred thirty and four hundred and thirty one from April one, twenty fourteen.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Golf Smarter Mulligans, your second chance to gain insight and advice from the best instructors featured on the Golf Smarter podcast Great Golf Instruction Never gets Old. Our interview library features hundreds of hours of game improvement conversations like this that are no longer available in any podcast app.
Speaker 3: I was never the most gifted physically, but I'm going to beat you mentally. If seventy five or six was the best I could do, has certainly made the sixty seven. I was going to need to shoot the next day to make the cut a much more viable approach rather than getting all mad and happy about it. It's like the two things with Rory, the one I alluded to for he won the opening where I basically had him use monitoring how he played the secondment, which is his PGA Atkiwa where I saw in the leak before. And he had a terrible year so far, up and down. He wasn't consistent, he hadn't defended a US opened very well at the Olympic Club in San Francisco and miss and cuts. As we were leaving Actor in the week before and I said, I want you to do me a favor, and he looked right at me, which he always does, and I said to him, I am getting really tired of turning on a TV and telling whether you burdied or both be the last hole. And I don't know why you're giving your opponents an opportunity to get you. I said, you got to forget the bad shots, and he did.
Speaker 1: Own your game. How to use your mind to play winning golf with Dave Stockton. This is Golf Smarter, and now we bring you the full unedited seventy minute interview with Dave Stockton, including about five minutes before we actually started the show. Dave, let me give you little background here. The purpose of Golf Smarter. The way I started it was, you know, I'm not a golf professional. I'm not a PGA instructor, just a guy who likes to play on the weekends and I like to ask a lot of questions. But when I started doing this show, my thought was that if you have a strong mental game and you understand strategy, you're going to lower your scores a lot faster than if you were just trying to work on your swing mechanics.
Speaker 3: Wow, boy, you you're You're way ahead of a whole lot of people. As far as.
Speaker 1: I'm concerned, so it's so I've developed this following, which amazing because it's unlike radio, it's worldwide, and we've built this community on this whole concept and it's worked very well. According to you know, iTunes and Google online, it's the most popular golf podcast. So wow, I must have done something right.
Speaker 3: It's amazing because what you're doing is not not normal really because so many people they get so wrapped up on the physical part of it. Do you let me ask you a question if you talk to Deborah Graham, no, John for John Stabler.
Speaker 1: No, I'm always looking for new people to talk to as well.
Speaker 3: Well. There it was interesting because Golf World ran an article about the brain in November, and Ritella and Julie Ellian and Coop and there were three or four and they ended the whole thing by saying, you know, they got a track man for the for the metal game, for the physical game, but they don't have anything for the brain, right, and John Stabler and Deborah Graham actually do. I mean, you can be fifty foot away from somebody and you can tell exactly when they make their decision to hit a shot or if they changed their mind. You can you can literally read it and know immediately this person is not not confident, or this person is not hasn't pictured what they're trying to do. It blows you away. I mean, she was a psychologist that I used at the Ryder Cup at Kiowa and in ninety one to profile my players so i'd get them to play better.
Speaker 1: That was such a fascinating story. I love that. I didn't mind the name dropping. It added credibility to the book. But I but there were parts of it, like I was even while I was reading it, and we'll get into this when we do the interview, but there were two paragraphs in there that I said to my wife, I said, I can do at least a half hour on just these two paragraphs alone, right, because the nuance of what you were talking about, and I'm not going to tell you what it is because we'll do it during the show, but the nuance was like, we can pick into that so much, and I'd have so many questions about that. So yeah, I love that kind of stuff. To me, that's what makes the most sense.
Speaker 3: That's interesting because most people they have no clue. And the reason is funny. I wrote the Putting Book and I thought, well, okay, that's because everybody consider themselves bad putters, and everybody thinks I know how to teach putting, so this will be a natural. And then I realized, after I work with the people, how many people were not good chippers. So we did the Chipping book, and as I'm doing that, I'm coming to realize this last book and on your Game is basically the most important one, because if I have somebody really good that I'm going to get paid to have them played better, I am literally going to have them call Debra and have him take her test because I want to find out and I want them to see how, you know, how mentally they're weak in different places and it makes all the difference in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I actually have. There was another woman in Florida. I'm blanking on her name right now, but I did do a show with her and we talked about the four different personality styles right of golfers and how to figure out how to play with them. And I think the thing that I learned mostly from her was you never conduct business on the golf course. You learn if you want to do business with that person by the way that person plays golf. Sure, yeah, I thought that was absolutely fascinating and really valuable.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, no, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Have you have you noticed lately on the tour where they talk about strokes gained putting this new stat that they're talking about and strokes gained driving. Right, So the guy who came up with golf metrics, Mark Brodie, Yeah, he was just on the show two weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's written the book. I you know, again, I have not gotten into that, so I don't you know, and I don't I know they've changed it in everything, but I you know, And it was interesting to hear him say that. You know, he basically thinks the other part of the game is more important, So it was kind of surprising.
Speaker 1: Well, what I found out from him was that what he was saying is they everyone beats themselves up on putts, and I know that like if I three putt, I carry that with me, right, that if I start putting poorly, doesn't matter how the rest of my game is going, that that will impact my mood for that day. And yet what he's saying is actually putting you know, you should look at the rest of your game because putting only accounts for about twenty seven percent of your scoring. The way the way he had it, so it was fascinating.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So all right, so this is how we'll do it. I'll say, Welcome to the Golf Smarter Podcast, Dave. You say hi, Fred, and then we'll see where it goes from there.
Speaker 3: You got it, Fred, that's fine.
Speaker 1: Okay, here we go. Welcome to the Golf Smarter Podcast, Dave.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Fred, good to be with you.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you very much. I loved reading your book. It didn't take me a long time, but I consumed every word of the new book Own Your Game, and it spoke to me in so many ways. Is because I'm a big believer in the mental game and strategy, not necessarily course management, but strategy. And I love the way that you actually discussed strategy as a very different approach than just talking about the metal game.
Speaker 3: Right. I mean, the people you talk about routines, and everybody thinks their routine is okay, what's happening just before the ball? And I tried to explain in the book. You know, you play a hole like the twelfth hole in Augusta under the pressure of playing in the Masters, your routine starts to minute you the second you drop the ball. The hole on eleven, because immediately you're looking to see what the trees behind twelve are doing, because once you get up on the twelfth p it's blocked by a giant grand stan of people and you really can't tell. So you're automatically already starting to think about the next hole. You're shetting, and as a good golfer will do, or most of the time, you know the eleventh hole is buying you anyway, so you might will start getting your mind and your routine ready to go on the next one. It's not and it's not just your physical routine. And for me, the metal side.
Speaker 1: Is so important to it, absolutely, And I love the line here strategies about tilting the odds in your favor as much as you can exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's like going by a certain hole I keep picking on on Augusta. But you know you watch different courses. Well, let's say the let's say the Phoenix open that has the sixteenth toll with a million people sitting around yelling at you. You know you better, you better realize what the wind's doing and the conditions as you go down fifteen, because when you get inside that enclosure, you can't tell. And you know, so many people are affected by the next shot they're going to hit or the last shot they did hit that they're you know, they're not getting the whole idea, they're not getting the whole thing that could make it an easy day for them. They just have these series of blips that I don't they're not conscious of, and they don't they don't gain the perspective you know, when we all have when we have our days, we all play good. It happens so so easily that there's not a whole lot of thought, and then all of a sudden you get going bad. And if you don't have the wherewithal the get get it behind you and get get it turned around. Uh, you're in trouble. I mean, one of the things I asked when I'm working with people, I said, Okay, if you're only going to be given six one puts today, what is your reaction when you're over the first twelve holes and you make one? I'm thirteen so now, but you don't know you're going to make the next five no matter if they're two foot or fifty, you're going to make all of them. What was your reaction? Was it? Well, I'm a that that figures I've getting that I found an acorn or you know, something kind of negative and said instead of being in meaning it saying oh boy, here we go. Now I got it, Here we go and it's I don't know it. To me, it's fun and I'm glad to hear you, you know, talk about what you're doing out there, because you're you've tapped to exactly what I think is the key to having people play a lot better, a lot faster, and much easier on themselves.
Speaker 1: When you say play a lot faster, you know, you talked a lot about pre shot routine, and I think we can do There were two paragraphs in the book that talk about pre shot routine that to me, we can do the entire episode on. And I'm just going to pick your brain on that because I feel like I have a good pre shot routine, but after reading your book, I feel like it's a very mechanical pre shot routine and I do the same things over and over, but I'm not thinking about or noticing the same things.
Speaker 3: Well, did you remember my little story about January in there?
Speaker 1: Please tell it? Because I've read the book. Not everybody has, Okay, but did you remember it, the January story about January.
Speaker 3: Before I talked about January stopping me as I was going off the first team playing with he and Arnold Palmer.
Speaker 1: Oh right, Oh, I thought you meant the month.
Speaker 3: Yes. Yes, it was probably one of the most unbelievable things to me because I had never I've been on twury a year and a half. Of course I didn't I didn't make the cuts most of the time, and I was you know, I'd never met Arnold until that faithful day at the LA Open at Ranchell. And He's got me by seven, He's got January by four. January's and third, and I'm in fifth, and I get introduced to him, and you know, Heat's off and everybody roars. And then January' is the PGA champion. Heat's off. Everybody roars. It's my turn. And as January hits, I'm looking at my feet and my toes are just bouncing up down because I'm nervous as heck. But uh, and I'm heavy enough. I looked at my my shoes aren't moving. I'm going that's good. Nobody can tell I'm petrified. So I get my ball, stays on the tee. I give it a whack right down the middle, and I grabbed the tea and I'm not a foot away from have to grabbing my tea on a dead run to catch Arnold. I hear this voice, goes son Son and basically it's January and asked me. He said, what do you see out there? And I said, well, I see twenty thousand people. He said, no, no, no, watch Arnold. Arnold's now got us by fifty yards because January walks really slow. And he said, I just want to let you know that you have a problem today. And I said, what's that. He says, well, now Arnold's almost to where my ball is, and they're both like forty yards behind and pass me, and he says, you notice how far we're by you. I said, yes, sir, And he says, well, we're going to do that all day except when we can't putt like you, so we're going to be even. He said, but the problem you have. And now now Palmer's at his ball looking back at us, and we're still fifty yards for me to get to my ball, taking these little bitty steps, and he he looks to me, he says, you know the problem you have is if you go Arnold's pace, this is my pace. We're walking right now, and you're going to see me walking up your backside all day. And he said, but on the other side, Arnold can't hit till you hit Kenny. And I said no, sir. He said, well, you go my face and it's going to be very difficult on mister Palmer today. And I go, that's different. And so the second and we all parted. One. We go to the second hall and I can't walk that slow. In fact, I was sore and taking a little step. So I went to the left. Then I crossed to the right and there was nobody there, but I just made this big X and I came back to my ball. January walked by and he winked at me, and so we all parted the second. The third hole is a part of three. I only walked to one side and the fourth hole of my wife Kathy walks up and she says, what are you doing? And I said well, and I pulled her under the rose, put my arm around her, and I said, mister January said this about you know my pace of play. He knows I play fast, he knows I don't take practice swings, and he said, and he just said that I'm going to get derailed by him walking out of my backside, and I ought to think about my pace of play. I had never in two and a half years or two years on tour, I ever thought about playing slower faster. And consequently she said, what sounds like I'm a good idea to me. I'm on the eighteenth tee, I am. I walked twenty miles, I am dead tired. I'm five under for the day and I've picked up five shots on Palmer. I'm within two shots he Birdi's the last hole to win the tournament. I finished fourth, and I really learned something well. I passed the same same thing on to McElroy insomuch as when he blew the Masters, and I met him three weeks later for the first time because his caddie wanted me to work with him. And his opening question to me at Charlotte, my son Ronnie was with me. He says, what what do you What did you see me at the Masters? And I said yeah, he said, what'd you think? I said, I thought you had a terrible pairing and he looks at me like I had four eyes you know, I said, well, I saw you pair with Cabrera, and Cabret is the world's nicest guy, but unfortunately he plays just as fast as you. And I said, you ask me what I saw. I saw two guys that played stand around and wait and wait, and it was their turn to hit. They hurt. They hit really fast because you're both fast players, and they'd walk fast. Now they got to stand around there and wait and wait to wait again. And basically I said, you had no rhythm. I mean it was almost you should have realized that you were the last ones out and nobody you know, you can't. You can't go through the in front of you, so you might as well just take your time. Well, he bought into that. We looked at his putting physically. There was nothing wrong. In fact, he had great routine and stuff as far as the physical part of it, and I see him it wentworth three weeks later in London and then comes up to Congressional where I won my second PGA, and that was the US Open, and again or the lesson lasted maybe a minute or two. Everything looked fine, so I wasn't going to tell him anything else. We'd go to the last round the seventh to ten toll. The part three, he had two hundred yard shower. I'd be hitting the seven wood and he's hitting the seven aron hit at about six inches and then it gave him a five or six shot lead at that point. But the eleventh toll congressionals are really tough. Part four, water down the right, big trap on the left, and Rory walked off. But within a minute he was back up on the green with his putter, just one putting with his left hand, no ball, just you know, making him looking or the eighteenth green, enjoying the people and his kame must have been there seven eight minutes since Caddy finally walked up. Whatstled at him? He went back down. He hit the t shirt and I thought, this kid learns pretty fast, because he didn't want to stand down there on that tee like he did at the Masters, and stood there and let the pressure build. And so what would you know. It's a long answer to your question, but basically, that one thing that January did for me made me aware of the surroundings around me, whether I was going to play slower that day or faster that day, and it changes. It's not anything consistent but you got to do something that's going to make you feel comfortable.
Speaker 1: I love that story. And please, any question I ask you can take as long as you'd like to answer. And I have no issue with that, No problem, okay. And you know I tend to be a fast walker when I play, but my preshot routine is very deliberate, and my putting routine is very deliberate. Maybe that slows me down, that changes my rhythm based on the rest of my life, which is fairly quick. Is that am I working against myself by doing that?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, we don't have a method. I say, Wade, Ronnie or Dave Junior, myself, Stock and golf. We use our eyes and our job looking at you is to make you comfortable. Well, what I tell you would be something different. I'd tell your neighbor or if you're a for handicap and they're at thirty, you're gonna tell them something different because and yet everybody is into this mechanical thing. But I'm here to tell you. I mean, I've I played golf too many years, over forty years on a two tour combined, and I have never seen anybody yet the normal routine is people slow down, I'll never forget watching Faldo beat beat Scott Holk and a playoff on ten in Augusta when Scott's got a two foot putt to win and he backed off and then came back in. I'm screaming at the TV because I knew he was gonna miss him. Another one at the Masters with Ed Snead had a three shot lead with three holes to go, and all of a sudden it looked like his body had been taken over by an alien the last three because his routine went twice as long as what had been doing. And just because you want to throw a dart in the center of a bullseye, if I make you stand there and stare at this thing and slow down, it isn't gonna work as good. He can't. And that's why what we call what we do the signature approach is first lesson whether you're your Michaelson or Mceilroy or the girl next door, I'm gonna have you sign your signature. There's no right or wrong way, but you're certainly going to have a reasonable pace to signing your own signature. Some people, like Billy Casper, would be very deliberate. Other people are going to be very very fast. Okay, but you're gonna be comfortable with what you do. But now I'm gonna throw you out of your comfort zone because I'm gonna have you. I want you to give it to me again, only this time, I want you to look at your signature. I want you to picture what's there and right below it, I want you to duplicate that same signature. But you've got to do it slowly. You got no chance. I can't do the D and Dave. I can literally not do my first and if I go slow, I can't do it. And that's because if it's something that should be in your subconscious and yet you try to do it. You can. If you practice and you hit a zillion balls, yeah, you get to a proficient level, but you'll never be great at what you're doing. And because it's a constantly changing thing. And so yeah, I mean I again. You'd have to watch you and say, Okay, what's the normal routine would Fred feel comfortable with? And then I would want it to be slightly faster rather than slightly slower because when you take more time and I ask people, do you take practice strokes? Can you put red?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: I do. Well. Do you do you play pool at all?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: I do, okay, and I relate pool shooting to being a good cutter. So do I? Oh my god, why don't. I'm willing to bet you that you don't stand a foot to the side of your cue ball and practice your stroke you're going to make before you step behind it.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: And I don't stand to the side of my golf ball either. I stand behind it, looking at the line, feeling like what my stroke will be there?
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, that's that's what Annica Sorenstan had to do because she'd bound and the termine she had to have a stroke. Uh. Just talk work with Mike Wheer. He feels the same way. He has to have that practice stroke. Uh. But I find it humorous that most people shoot pool just put the custick up behind it and now they leave it still. No, they go it back and fourth. But the average person takes their practice stroke up by the ball, okay, not behind it. If you're gonna take a practice stroke, you should be at right angles to your line, looking straight over the ball toward the hole to feel what you're doing. If that's what you need to do, I have a hard time believing people need to do that. But a lot of people do it. But the ones that come up beside the ball parallel to it, take a couple of strokes, put the club behind the ball, look at the hall briefly, then look down, set their feet. They're looking basically at the ball. And yet that'd be just the same amount as smart. So that would use to throw a dart at something. You're focusing on the number or the bullseye that you're going to try to put the dart into. You're not looking at your hand, and it literally blows me away that people. I mean, I'll the first thing I'll do is I'll not let people take a practice stroke. Get up closer to the ball, set their right foot if their right hand is set their right foot, put the putter on the ground. Now look at the hole. Now set your feet, which means bringing your left foot up online and look at the hole. Get self comfortable. And I ask them, and I'm holding onto their head, I said, you see your line, You see where the ball's going in yep, Okay, I won't let them come back. I said, go ahead and stroke it. You can't imagine how many times these people without even looking down at the ball, since they're looking out at the target, same thing they would be if they were throwing a dart. You cannot believe how fast these people improve. And that the other thing, like Hope missing that two footer to lose the masters. I mean, if he just set his right foot, put the club down, now, look at the hole and set his feet. There's no reason to ever think that this line's not right because you line yourself up with your eyes. But if you take practice strokes and come in, there is all types of things that you go flying through your mind and keep you unsettled instead of being settled in what you're trying to do.
Speaker 1: I have noticed that putting on the practice putting green is not the same routine and is generally more successful.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, well there's a reason. There's a reason why you're you're your is more successful. That's why you make the second butt you try after you miss the first one, because that's so much time this first one. You're with it and you pull the other ball up. You don't take nearly asmuns of the time, and you'll probably make it again. The two words two words we don't we do not want to use. The first is the word try. We want you to feel it. Second word we don't want to use is hit. I mean to me, if you tell me I'm going to try to hit this ball in the hole, that constant puts in my mind the thought of putting a nail against a wall and beating it with a hammer. Okay, I'm hitting that sucker right into the wall, whereas to me, putting would be like making a paint brush and making one stripe down the wall with a paintbrush. I want to feel. I want to feel the stroke. I don't want to hit it. I want to feel the role. So we substitute roll for hit, and we substitute feel for try, and it makes a huge psychological difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I also noticed in one part of the book where you talked about how professionals hit through the ball where amateurs hit at the ball.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, very definitely. I mean you want. I mean you'll practice and practice, and everybody's practice swing is really pretty good, especially if they're not a ball there, but you put a ball there and all of a sudden they focus on that ball. They might as well get them an ax at the top of the swing, Whereas in reality, you want to go through the ball, You want to go go to a draw finish, go to a fade finish. All of a sudden, the club went through where the ball was without you thinking about it, and as much more natural, and you'll get much more you get a lot more power doing them.
Speaker 1: So explain to me a little further what you mean by through the ball I'm picturing.
Speaker 3: I'm picturing that. Let's say it's the driver. I'm picturing about the first twelve to sixteen inches through the ball where that driver is gonna go. I mean, there's gonna be no reaction to the ball. I'm powering this driver right on through that area. In other words, it's not at it, it's not hit down, it's you know, obviously most people would realize the woods you're sweeping the ball off rather than hitting down like you would be within an iron. But both of them, the follow through is highly important. How how important is why can't a quarterback throw a football off his foot as good as one is? They say he steps into it, or what's the most important thing on the free throw? It's the follow through. It's not our preparation before and how we take it back, but it's how good. Our follow through is that makes the thing have the correct line. So the follow through is really really important in golf.
Speaker 1: M And you just use the word picture. And I noticed during the throughout the book that you know, I mean, you have a stellar resume, your your career has been fantastic on the tour and Ryder Cup champion and Ryder Cup Captain and Champions Tour, phenomenal, amazing, And I appreciate your time talking to me about this, but you kept talking about seeing and picture. You know what your swing is. It like one of one of the lines that I pulled from the book, it's not how you hit the shot, it's how you use your mind to picture them.
Speaker 3: Yes, yep, it's to me, it's the difference between somebody that hits one over in the trees and now you've got a tree in front of you, at a big tree, and so you're looking at the hall you're it's on the left or right side, wherever it might be. The tree tells you, Okay, I'm gonna go up over the right side, or I'm going to go under the left, or I'm gonna do this because of how the ball's gonna roll the fair away and you picture the shot and you hit it. Oh well, the same next day you make him the same hole and drive it thirty yards further dead down the middle. The pin could be right in the middle of the green and your miss is about to occur. Because you're so proud of this fantastic t shot you hit that you don't give the picturing element to what the ball, what you're going to do to this ball. You did it really good when you're behind the tree, and it forced you to do it. But are you smart enough in picturing the middle side of the game to be able to picture something when there's no obvious trouble the pins in the middle. It's the simple a shot. But in reality, you know, you gotta think, Okay, do I leave it short? If I don't make it, am I gonna leave it short or long? You know, I love to watch people practice on a range. So say we're in Texas and it's kind of a cloudy day and fluffy white clouds going through the sky. I mean, I'm trying to go over a cloud or keep it under another one. I'm trying to do it all these things picturing, because that then I've got it. Most people go out to the rains. All they're doing is hitting the ball, and as soon as the ball struck they're reaching for the next ball, and they don't even watch the ball roll out, when in reality, when you practice, you should hit it and the ball goes up in the air, you should be holding your finish until the ball's coming it starts its downward flight. Then you can cut in your club halfway and then once the ball hits the ground and you can trol your club and move on to the next shot. But you've had four or five seconds to pick up information about what that shot you just hit. Whereas most people, I mean, how many, well do you watch it as soon as they hit the ball and they don't like it, they're reaching for the next ball, and that they don't learn anything from the last one, and pretty soon here that's a lot when you you'll go in cycles like the ocean waves come in, you get it for a while and then it leaves you. That's why you know when you're out there practicing you do well in it. I would move on to something else, but you know, there's a lot to be said for the routines people used to practice, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: But the routines that use for practice are not necessarily the routine routines that use when they're on the course.
Speaker 3: There are. They almost never are. They almost never are, because that's why my dad when he was taught me, I mean, I never got the put with more than two balls in the long game. He used to have me hit five balls, little piles of five balls, let's say with the nine iron, and then that's the nine er, And he might be might have me hit a five iron, might have me hit a four wood, might me have me hit a wedge. But if he saw three shots come out and they're all high draws, he would say, let's see it, let's see a low fade, or let's see something else to make me do the imagery work to be able to picture the shot and feel it of the shot I was going to hit, rather than just one after another hitting the same shot. And we can get really good doing that on the range, but it ain't going to help you on the on the golf course because the range generally is dead at your first shot. Now you got a ball three inches above your feet or below your feet, whatever it might be. And all that practice you warmed up, but all that practice didn't do you a whole heck of a lot of good because you weren't picturing stuff.
Speaker 1: And to you, that is the key is picturing what the shot is before you take it.
Speaker 3: Well before that, I mean you get out of your cart. Most people will go to the closest side of the tee to where the cart is because I know we're all in fantastic physical shape. Most kind of go to the short side instead of if the t is ten yards wide, the optics on the left side looking down the fairway are totally different than looking on the right side of the tee. Every step you take the left makes your optic go to the right. So consequently, did the T cause call you to tee off on the right side or left side? For starters? Okay, and how do you want the ball? It's the ball going to come You want to picture the line you want the ball to end, but is going to come in with a fade or a draw, all these different things that come into it. And if you do it right and you learn to do it, it just happens naturally. But you almost never ever have a shot you're not comfortable with hitting. Instead of the normal person gets up there and they see the shot and they go, oh, yeah, okay, I can carry it over that water. I can do this, I can do that, but they don't picture. I mean, I had a guy last summer. They got up on a part three. There's a lake on the left. I'm going to say it's one hundred and eighty yards, and I knew right where this ball was going. He took two or three really good practice swings, and everything got up made of just a terrible swing at it. It barely didn't get it, almost didn't get to the water. I mean he had a maybe fifty yards something like that. He said, they do me a favorite, hit me another ball, and so he gets the ball tea that starts to take practice and he said, no, I don't want to practice swing. I said, I want you to stand behind the ball and I want you to look at that pin. That's where you're aiming. And then he said, yeah, I'm aiming at the pin. I said, how do you see it getting to that pin? He said, well, I'm an aim It just left. I said, how am I just left? He said, its full four or five feet. I said, see that trap, that's about fifteen yards left of it. I want you to aim right in the center of that bunker. And because I'm picturing you're gonna fade it that much, he hits a shot. He hit it. I'm going in the air. I say, action, we've made a hole in one. He said, though, and I said, well you may have us now. He put it about two and a half feet in the hole.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you're finishing the story because in the book you just ask I saw it. It was like it stood out to me. I was screaming at the book where you say, have you ever seen a hole in one? He said no, and you and in the book you say you're about to and then you don't give the results.
Speaker 3: No, no, and he didn't exactly did I did that on purpose? I mean, it's funny. And that happened in Chicago. I had two inches in Chicago. One of my first years on tour, I was doing a corporate outing and I don't know why. I was on a little bitty par three to start the Dave. This guy gets up and it was all Carrie one hundred and twenty five arts and I watched him swing and he was okay but not great. Cold, you know, morning, and I said, what are you hit and he said, I'm going to hit a nine air. I said, why don't you hit an eight? Depends right on the front of the green. I said, you got a little bit over one twenty five to the hall. He said, no, I can get a nine there. I said, now watch you and he says, no, I know I hit a nine. I said, I'll tell you what I'll do. I said, you take you hit an eight for me, and if you don't like it, then I'll let you hit the nine, get a free shot. He hold it. He hold it with the eight there and I said, okay, now you want to try the nine for me and see if you can do? Is this is good? He was so excited, you know, But that's again it's you know, people, I don't want to just blindly spendions billions of hours hitting balls without you know, jumping in. And that's why I was exciting to listen to you say you've had a lot of the psychological psychology type people out there that work on the middle side of this game, because I promise you and I'm dealing with a lot of pros and I'm talking about in the top fifty in the world on the Men's Tour in the top fifteen in the win on the LPG eight, and you end up working with them in their mental side. That's where they can make the biggest rides. And if they can make the biggest strides there the average you know, it really jumps for the for the normal, you know, and a normal amateur doing that.
Speaker 1: I find it fascinating that so many of these young guns that are coming up. You know, the people on the tour seem to be younger and younger every year, but they hit the ball a ton, but they don't necessarily have the mental game or the mental capacity to play that quality of golf, do they?
Speaker 3: No, I mean it's different. Mcelroyal, come on here once in a while. I mean. Another girl I'm working with is is Lydia Coe, which I started with her last summer and I just laughed. She shows up here at Redlands and I congratulators. She had played twelve pro tournaments and she'd won three of them as a fifteen year old amateur. And I'm coming for a lesson. I'm going this out. I said, I'm not, but it certainly you're not going to take me very long. And she's just a delight. But you know, most of the people you get, you know, they're not wired that way. It just takes longer for them to be able to figure out. But I'm here to tell you that the caddies today are in better shape than the players were when I played. I mean, I was working with McElroy last week down in West Palm Beach and we started nine o'clock and he got I had him bend down to line up this putt to go through his routine because I'm in at the other again, you cause you well can imagine now I'm not necessarily into watching what he you know, the mechanical aspect. I want to see his routine. Well, he goes to bend down. He had a hell of a time getting down. I said, what's the matter. He looked at me, he says, oh, he said, this is one of my training mornings. He said, I started five forty five, so he had had two and a half hours of lifting weights and doing all this stuff. And then so we worked for two hours and go and to eat lunch, and I don't know, it's like a chicken wrap and the cottage cheese and fresh fruit. I mean, you know, well I'm having a cheeseburger. You know, sees I wonder why this kid's in better shape than I am, you know, and they just I mean from the stretching to the I mean, it's it's amazing how they treat their body. I mean, in my day I'm a coach, could I drink around a golf course. Now they're you know, they're you know, they they they they treated like it's a million dollar business, which is exactly what it is. I mean when I played, I mean, you made a lot of your money playing corporate outings. They're betting money on the side because the purses weren't that big, and these kids, it's well worth their time to invest in a turn and invest in all these other things. And you know, I'm lucky enough with a lot of people who've invested in having a short game coach.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and apparently with a tremendous amount of success when they when they come to Stockton Golf.
Speaker 3: Well, it's been I tell you what for it's been a hoot. I mean, started it heasy, and I can't remember one thing after another, but I had rotator cuff surgery in September nine, which basically is that that ended my playing, although my swing is a heck a lot better because I can't raise my left shoulder up anymore. And within nine months I had the other shoulder done, so I had both shoulders done, and we you know, I wasn't gonna sit still, so you know, it started with Michelle Lee briefly and then went to Michelson, and then the phone never stopped ringing. I mean, I looked here on the wall where I'm sitting, I'm looking at the Grand Slam in four years, two by Michelson, two by McElroy, and I got all four of the flags from the four majors. Wow, and Ronnie and Junior and myself. We have one hundred and twenty wins and counting worldwide in four years. It's just, you know, it's it's mind boggling to me. You know how much success and how fast you can have it if you just give somebody a mental picture. I mean, I could list the guys. Michelson won. We worked with him Thursday and Friday, and he won the Tour Championship the next week. Michelle Wee we worked with her Thursday and Friday two weeks prior to that, and she went to Solheim Cup. In Chicago, and she had an unbelievable time. Adam Scott, who Mickleson wanted me to help, thought he had the worst stroke in the world, won the very next week after David worked with him at the Players Championship using a short putter, by the way, and Justin Rose, I mean David Start helped him at Colonial. All he did was win two out of three and if he hadn't blown Hartford, he would have won three out of three. So it doesn't take that long. It's not and we're in the easy part, let's face it. I mean the short game. You're moving the putter maybe a foot, so there's not at least your hands are only going afoot. It's a very simple thing to do, and you can be helping quite a few people at one time because you're not getting immersed in the long game.
Speaker 1: But it's not that simple, or they wouldn't be coming to you and having such success. And these are people who are at the very peak of the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they just had the wrong teacher to start with. I mean, my dad in the forties, I mean he learned from Alex Morrison, who was a brilliant teacher in the thirties, and he taught Henry Piccard, who won the Masters in thirty eight, won the PGA in thirty nine. And I did not know who had taught my dad until I was inducted into the California got all of fame, I don't know, five years ago or something. And you know the guy that I introduced was another tom self was going to introduce me. He was another one of theirs. Five guys my dad, taw All went on tour. I was the only one that made it, but all five of us went out. And he started talking about Alex Morrison. Well, when I'm writing the first book with Matt Rudy, you know, I'm subconscious cutting I. He started talking about Alex Morrison. He said, well, yeah, he wrote a book. Well, my dad never let me read GoF books, so I wouldn't know one than another. But he had a book in nineteen forty called Better Golf Without Practice, and it showed a guy sitting in an armchair thinking about what he wanted to do. He's sitting in a chair, no clubs in his hand, nothing, you know. And so Matt Rudi gets me an original copy of this book. But seventy years prior to this us writing the Putting book in seventy and I read the I look at the book. The long game is worth about two percent. That's how much has changed the short game. I'd say it's ninety five percent viable. It explains why I use loft on a putter, explains why I ford press, explains why my left hands my direction hand. It explains why I put the putter ahead of the ball when I addressed the ball. All these different things that I learned in the late forties. That you know, something I went sixty some years, never never had change, never had well nineteen forty. This book's out right. Tell me if there's something else that's been devised for the stroke in seventy years. I mean, the agronomy is better, okay, the grasses are much better, easier to put their smoother, no matter, you know, the clubs themselves, especially like the groove faces on the on the putters. Now you can just unbelievable, you know, bigger grips if you want it now, for softer feel with your hands, all these things. But there's never been and there never will be, a new stroke developed because it's too individualistic and so for somebody for a teacher that says, Okay, I'm gonna teach all my students to put this way. I'm just gonna. I'm laughing. I mean, I was at the match play this year and I had Castagno from Spain. Gonzo he petted with the claw. I had Molinari, who's putting conventional. I had Stephen Gallagher who came and he just beaten McElroy a couple of months agoing to buy. He was putting left hand low. And I had Kevin Stadler, who was using the long putter. I got five putters, I got five different types of strokes and everyone I'm successful. So to me, that says, and that's why we're successful is that we fit the people with what feels comfortable. Inn I mean, I'm watching Gallagher. He shot sixty two when he won and beat Macawy and third ground and she sixty two made everything, made ten birdies, and I'm watching him. He's cross handed, and I'm going I know he wasn't cross handed here, So I go back in my phone and I pick it up and no, here he is putting conventional. So he came over U la open. I guess it was la and no, it was at Phoenix and so I'm there and I said to him, I said, what are you doing? He said, it's unbelievable because you explained the left hand led, and I just I had much better feel of it with the left hand being low. And I'm going, how cool was that? I mean, that was really good. And well, you know If and Fred, they're all different. I mean, one of the biggest things. Usually I get the one eighty to two hundred putters, you know, in the ranking. A few years ago now, Matt Coocher came and he asked the three of us. We were doing an exhibition down at the Vintage, and he asked me if I'd look at his game or we would look at his game, and we said sure. I said, I don't understand why you need to help you. All you did last year was you were leading money and you won the Barclays and you were fifth and putting, so there can't be that much wrong except he putted left hand low, and I know he flipped his hand, and so I asked him, I said, what's your direction?
Speaker 1: Hand?
Speaker 3: He says left. I said, make me a one handed stroke. Well, the left hand never broke down and so I said, okay, now this is what you do. You're telling me your left hands your direction hand, but you're flipping it. You're just letting your right hand just flip this thing up. I said, I don't understand that. Well, five days later I samitely open. Now his putter's got three more degrees a lot, and the putter is probably six inches longer. And if stuff is left arm. By the next week, the putter came out behind his left arm, you know, and he's gone from two degrees a lot to eight degrees because he's ford pressed his hand and in the present styl of he uses now in what I'm trying to reiterate is again, it's not my method, it's what method makes you feel comfortable. And basically the parameters again are we We don't care. They They asked me if I think along putter or something should be banned and all this stuff. He said, I don't care, you know, in my own opinion, because basically, I want you to visualize. No matter what your method is going to be, you got to be able to see what you're doing. But most people that do the mechanical method don't have a metal method. That's worth of darn.
Speaker 1: So what do you think of the long putters.
Speaker 3: I'll be glad. I'll be glad when they ban it, only because when I grew up, you know, Tiddley Winks is probably more popular than golf. And we truly have athletes now. Dustin Johnson McElroy is just a phenomenal physical specimen. This Nicholas Cole Stark's another guy who worked with in Belgium, is just unbelievable. They're athletes, and I just don't think you should have an arm anchored to your body as long as they want. I don't care if they use a putter ten feet long, provided is not anchored to a body part that's not moving. I can see where Coocher. Probably a lot of people are gonna do like Coucher does, because's on your arm, it's susceptible to you know, making mistakes. But I personally just don't like the looks of the one on the chest. I mean, I'm you gotta understand where I came from. I came out of the when they made a ruling for one person person. That's one of the most tournaments temporarily on our tour. Sam Snead, you know they outlawed his croquette because they look goofy. Well, I mean that they got under that saying you can't step across your line when your putts. And now, you know, I think sites that will may come back. I would think, I don't know, I mean, people are going to figure out a way to do it. I just don't think it would be anchored.
Speaker 1: And what about the equipment today. I mean, obviously, if you grew up with Tiddley wings being more popular than golf, the golf clubs were very different. Technology was not what it is today. Has has all this technology change helped the average golfer?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Let alone the game?
Speaker 3: Well, let's say, I mean we start out, I always use foot Joys shoes. Okay, now I'm with Nike my foot Joys shoes, the leather shoes. I used to wear a weight about two and a half pounds between the two shoes. My Nike with the two shoes. Now that I'd play in their less than eight ounces, yeah, I mean, yeah, just I mean it's mind boggling what it is. And the equipment, I mean each part. You know, Carson had the first you know, the things which they had to be great clubs because they looked so bad, yet they felt so good to everybody. I mean, Carson was way ahead of the game. So now they have, you know, the composite heads. I mean, I was the third one, I think, to start using metal woods when Taylor made started with him, and I thought, well, I'm gonna use them to they ban them, because I know they're gonna ban them because somebody's gonna get killed. I mean, you're never gonna You're never gonna see an aluminum baseball bat in the big leagues, I'll promise you or else the pitcher, they're gonna be pictured behind cages because the ball comes off it's so fast. And I think this has tremendously helped the average person because in the old days, I mean we'd play the clubs, I mean, did pick up weight if it was if it was raining, you literally your club would get heavier. I mean it's you know, it's not the same, but it's it. You know, we've gained from you know, the technology to put people on the moon, and they now have you know, they know whether the bigger heads are better. They know they're finding Now the loft makes sense because you're you can tell from the track man that you're watching, you know how much spin you're putting on the ball relative to your flight pattern. I mean there's so much stuff. I mean, it's in I think that's one reason why for the average game. I just gave a women's clinic today for the ladies here, and I just grabbed their different wedges, and it's amazing to me. I think putter is highly important. I think the sand wedges are important, and I think drivers are very important as you especially clubs, And I mean I'm grabbing these ladies wedges. Some are some of them are very very light. Almost everybody in the grip was either old and slick or you know, just didn't feel right. And here's these ladies, some of them in their sixties, a couple in their and I can hand them my wedge. It's obviously too heavy for them, but they can get out with my wedge better than theirs. So there's there's for the people out there, and that's why we need to have good professionals and have you have it. Hopefully wherever you're at, have an opportunity to get to a fitting center that the people understand and aren't just trying to sell you clubs, but literally fit something that and I don't want to get off the first tea or on the first hold. I wanted something to work on about fourteen or fifteen. When you get tired, I want the club to still work for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's another thing that I try to advocate as much as you know from what I've learned that buying clubs off the rack is not to your advantage just because your friend hits it well. But getting fitted, especially with this technology today, getting fitted is the right way to go.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, there's there's there's no question, and I do not try to even think I'm an expert when it comes to the club fitting. I am with putter. I mean, I'm I'm here to tell you I've you know, I was with Tailor Made for a long time and now I've been with Nike for just almost a year now, and I am really large into putting loft on a putter because it lets you ford press your hands. And I've had some of the most unbelievable statistics when somebody measures how soon my ball stops bouncing and skidding, generally it's with under an inch. My ball has got it's rolling, It's already rolling because of the loft and being able to ford press my hands, and yet I'm in the minority. Most putters are made with two degrees one to two degrees aloft. And they tell you, well, if you know, if you you know, if you get more off that you're gonna chip it. Well, not if you put your hands ahead. And any of your listeners can go out there and they can put there, they can put again the stripe on the wall with a paint brush. What do you want leading coming down the wall? Do you want the brush leading or do you want the butter and the handle of the handle of the brush leading? You want to handle the brush because that way you control, you control the field as you come down the wall. And that's why you want your hands ahead. And if you don't have loft time I played against Lee Elder for years and he had negative loft, so he set his hands back, very similar to what Zach Johnson does. And again Zach Johnson will be a poster cow for there's no right way to do this. You gotta fit your eyes, you gotta you know, the speed you play's got to fit you. Your clubs have to fit you. Uh, And everybody's different, Yes we.
Speaker 1: Are and that's why everybody's looking for an answer and there isn't an answer. Clearly, that's what you're saying. No, it's what makes you comfortable, exactly. It's it's about confidence, Yeah, exactly. Confidence. So interesting. So I'm curious about something you were talking about. Your dad was a teaching professional and you grew up in that environment. Your two sons are teaching professionals, and you right in the middle here you were the tour professional. Is it was it harder for you growing up with a teaching professional dad, or was it harder for your children growing up growing up with a touring dad, tour professional dad? And when I say harder, I'm saying growing up in the Gulf world.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, first of all, my dad when he came up, there was no tour. In fact, my right here on the wall, my most favorite pictures my dad standing with Walter Hagen. When Dad had an exhibition with Walter Hagen in nineteen thirty seven. We are the first all Americans of Southern cal in the same sport. We both won the pack ten individual titles. But there are I have changed. I mean World War Two, my dad ran a bomb plan and when he got through in nineteen forty four, he went into the sporting his business. He still kept his PGA card and he would still teach the kids around and you know all that the five of us I said went out on tour. He taught all that, but he's basically working in the sporting store. My life was such that, you know, I wasn't kidding about the Tidley Winks, but I mean I played basketball and baseball till I broke my back when I was fifteen and I became a I couldn't do the other sports. So the only way I was going to be able for to go to college to get a golf scholarship. Well, Dad would let me you know, when work, I started working on my game, saying, working on my game. The most tournaments I ever played in a summer as a junior was three, and that was seventeen. I was trying to get my scholarship to go to Southern cal And I played in the National Junior and I played in the Hurst Championship and the Arrowhead which is my hometown tournament. And it was the only three tournaments I got to play, and they wanted me. I went to USC as a pre law major. I was going to be a lawyer because my grandfather, who lived in Tucson, was a mining attorney, and that's what my parents wanted me to be. They had no desire to push me toward golf, and a year at SC convinced me that I was going to be hard pressed the last four years, let alone seven, And in the end, I wanted to try this, you know, this type of lifestyle and see if I was good at it. When you get to the kids. Junior played on tour almost ten years, and I think he would have made it. He was close. I mean two different times we both led tournaments. I was leading the Tournament Players Championship on the Champions Tour when he was leading Hartford and he finished second third. Norman beat him the one year. But Ronnie had always had a bad back and never really played, and so consequently Ronnie's been teaching over twenty years. But David played to ten years. And it was real estate a few years ago. And then when I went into this rotator cuff surgery and O nine, Junior is looking around for what to do, and he'd getting ready to go back to tour school, and I thought, I thought Kathy, his mother was going to kill him, and he started the teaching and David has always been good with people, and so it's come full circle, but from a whole different perspective. I mean, David's first child, Serena, was a twin and complicated pregnancy. She was premature, born just over two pounds ten ounces, and right now she's a volleyball star at almost sixteen. So it nailed him from being out on tour. And that's one thing about boy. Kathy and I were lucky, is that we traveled the entire time together. The kids had always come out during the summertime. I would have said it was easier for them to make it with me being a pro because he, you know, while Junior is when he's playing the Mini Tour, the Nike Tour, he was ready to come home. I said, no, he's back East, and I said, I tell you what, I'm gonna call you back. And what I did. I've never got anybody else sins on AUGUSTA, but I got Junior on. Junior played thirty six holes on August and he won the very next week.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So it's just it's it's the mental stuff that you get into. I mean, it's I mean I'll tell you a quick story.
Speaker 1: Tell me stories.
Speaker 3: I don't have many quick stories. But Byron Nelson and I are having lunch together and he literally told me that in forty five, I asked him about when he won eleven in a row, which is an unbelievable feet and he actually won eighteen out of thirty five events entered, so he won more than half the time. And I asked him what he was thinking about. He got a big smile, he said, said, basically, I found something before I went to the West Coast swing that felt comfortable to me, and that was the swing thought I used for the entire year, the only swing thought. Well, I'm here to tell you your listeners out there, most people have they can't even remember the swing thoughts they had the previous month.
Speaker 1: You know who had the previous hole.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So because tips generally don't last very long, they have a very short shelf life.
Speaker 1: Are you surprised that that Ronnie went into golf instruction as well, since he had struggling with his back and couldn't play. Are you surprised that both of you boys did this?
Speaker 3: Well? Not well? First of all, if I hadn't been a pro goffer, Ronnie would have been something else. I don't know. I mean, he basically got his pilot's license. The reason he's good in teaching is that he was a psychology major at the University of Redlands here, but his was a different course and he went to see he got mug sophomore year going back to Trinity Row and he came out transfer to the u of R and he actually had Division III, ended up leading the nation and scoring two time All American here, And I mean, just to it fit his you know, he could live at home and we worked out really good. But Ronnie can fix anything. I mean, he guy dives. Uh, he's you know, like I say, he's got pilot's license and all this stuff. So yeah, I am surprised he did that because just because he could do anything, really and just because golf was easy. The only hard part for Ronnie is that Ronnie is left handed. And I explained to Ronnie when I opened the closet door and showed him the five thousand clubs sitting in the closet, none of which were left handed, that if he was going to play, he was gonna have to use to learn to use these. So he's completely amidexterous, And you know, I just I did not suspect that he would end up being the golfer because I knew he was going to find something else because everything he touches turns the gold. He's good at almost anything.
Speaker 1: Spoken like a proud papa. Yep, and I understand it completely. Now you're listed is sixteenth on the America's list of top instructors. You're a competitive person. Does that frustrate you who are like, no, I want to be fifteen, I want to get up to ten. I want to I want to get into single digits or.
Speaker 3: Do you I think I think I'm pushing my luck because I'm a short game instructor that you know most of those people, you know, this is how they make a living. I mean, yeah, I guess I'm making a very good living doing what I'm doing. But it's not I'm not trying to build my name up or anything. I last year, I think I was thirteenth two years ago. Whatever it was, it was the largest largest first time jump onto a survey that they've ever had of somebody that had never been ranked before. So no, I'm very proud that it's there. I'm glad you know, I'm like, I'm number one in California and only because Jim Flick passed away unfortunately. But you know that's I think that's more. That's kind of incredible, just you know, being a short game known as a short game instructor. I'm very prideful of that. I mean, I think that's phenomenal. I have no I'm not setting my goal, you know, Okay, I'm gonna try to get in the top ten next year. I can't change anything I'm doing. I couldn't handle more people. I mean, I had a week here a month ago where I had nyon Joy, I had Gallagher from Scotland. I had Francesco Molinari from Italy. I had Cole Starts in Belgium. I had Johnny Vegas from Venzuela. I told my wife Cathy, I said, how cool the five days has this been. I mean, let's face it. I mean it keeps me young. I mean two weeks from now, I'll be down in Augusta and I'll be walking in out of the clubhouse, talking with guys and everything and feeling not anywhere, feeling nearly as old as a seventy two year old than I am and feeling relevant because I know that I can pass on stuff that's going to help them.
Speaker 1: Oh that's fabulous. Feeling relevant is what a great way to put it. That's that will make you want to wake up in the morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's good. No, it it's great. And you never know what's coming. And since I don't teach the same thing to everybody, I mean, every everything is like it. It's like an open book and I'm still learning. It's it's neat.
Speaker 1: And clearly very passionate about what you're doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a need for what we're doing. I think we've opened up a lot of eyes and I you know, and the success is there. I mean, nobody can argue with what we've had, you know. And the best thing I like about it is we don't have an approach other than the fact it's a lot more metal than most people realize. Hence this last book.
Speaker 1: Well, and the book is called Own Your Game, How to Use your Mind to play Winning Golf, And it's going to be listed in in our golfers Mart on our website. And as a matter of fact, I'll put all three of your books available in our in our store on our website at Golfsmarter dot com. The books are Unconscious Putting and Unconscious along with Own Your Game, the brand new one which I just loved. Why do you call them unconscious putting and unconscious scoring?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's just again, we don't want you to try. I mean, you you do your signature and you don't think about anything, and it's beautiful, pretty close to the same every time. But now you try to do it, and I promise you it's gonna feel terrible, it's gonna look terrible, and you're not gonna enjoy the process. So it's that's the whole purpose. I mean, we want you just let it go. There's a whole I mean, how many things do you think about when you're throwing a dart at a bullseye? I mean you're thinking about where your weight is, or you're thinking about where your eyes are looking. Are you thinking about your left shoulder going up or down or whatever? I mean, you're not thinking of that.
Speaker 1: But what about shooting a free throw? Yeah, well, I'm sure that there's things that you're gonna be thinking about.
Speaker 3: Well, they're better concentrated on the front of the rim and you're follow through. I mean, let's face at the Mayor Brothers years ago in the eighties and the Olympics. I was a little kid. I was not a little kid. I'm watching them stand there outside the starting gee with their eyes closed, and you can see him running the course in their minds. You can see him going the tight turns in long slooping, sloping turn to the left maybe, and you can just see him going through this in their mind and they step up and they do it, just like the person that has this shot under the trees that you've got to do something too, versus the poor devil that stands in the middle of the fairway and has no clue and I'm so proud of this wonderful tea shot. He's just it and he doesn't realize the disaster that's going to happen.
Speaker 1: Did you always use visualization even before it became, you know, popular to do so or to talk about it. Did you know that you were doing that before it was instructed?
Speaker 3: Well, just by the way my dad taught me, mm hmm. You see that tree there, Okay, I want you to hit it just under the top of that tree. Or he'd have me go out and I'd do this with my kids. I'd have him take every other club out of their banks, so instead of having a you know, three, four five six seventy eighty nine, they'd have a three five seven nine. You'd be surprised how good you get when you got like thirty yard increments or fifteen twenty yard increments between two clubs. You have to learn how to hit different shots.
Speaker 1: I loved one of the things that you also mentioned in the book about taking two clubs with you to the ball before you know, before your shot. Don't just say, oh, it's one hundred and fifty yards, I'm just going to take out my six iron or whatever. Take take two clubs.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean I worked with one of the LPGA girls yesterday and I know she's going to be better of it. I said, what do you ask your caddy? I mean, your caddy's standing there. You know, I'm assuming, hopefully I know what you do because everybody else does it. Let's say you think it's the same he says, one hundred and fify yards, I'll say, you're gonna got a seven arn kids a day it wedge. But let's pretend my school, so we're hitting seven. Are you put your hand on your seven you get it halfway out of the bag and you turn to your caddy and say, what do you think seven? Well, since you've already started the club coming out of the bag, what's the caddy gonna say? He knows it should be an eight, so he'd say just yeah, nice and smooth, fine, okay, which tells you then, hum, he doesn't think I have to hit this very big, or he says, now go ahead, just hit a good one. That'll be good, meaning you better nail this thing, because I was thinking six iron. So what I do is I go past it. And the way my dad taught me was that every club I have, it's between two clubs. So in fact, he would do a drill. We'd go out on a course and he'd make me hit two or three clubs to one pin, and I'd have to hit different shots. And I got the creativity to come that way. So consequently, what I told the girl yesterday is basically I want you, and I brought the caddy over. I said, she's not going to ask you what you think seven aron. The new question is going to be you're gonna tell her of the yard? If you're gonna tell her one point fifty she's gonna ask you, what two clubs do you think? So you're either gonna say six seven or you're gonna say seven eight. Now she's quietly thinking seven eight, okay. He says, uh, six seven okay, perfect, it's a seven are even though she thought seven eight and he thought six seven. But it's already let her know that he's thinking this whole plan slightly longer than she thinks. Now you may both come up with the same club seven eight. That's fine. It's up to her to decide or him to decide when you hit the shot, how high it's gonna go, where it's gonna land. You know, this sort of thing, But it makes it. It's just another step in the process of giving you a chance to hit the correct shot at something right right.
Speaker 1: So you told a great story about your interaction with January when you're a young man on the tour bright, But can you tell me what do you think is the best advice you've ever received as a golfer, Not as an instructor, not as a touring player, but as a golfer. What's the best advice you've ever received?
Speaker 3: Probably the way I've lived my life. I told people I've gone through life with basically not having anything bad happen to me, although I've had some health problems, you know, recently with my shoulders and stuff. But even breaking my back was a good positive thing because it kept me out of Vietnam. Now, they had five hundred some kids went in here in nineteen sixty seven, and only two of us out of five hundred were four f And consequently, I would guess that my feelings were the fact that I was never the most gifted physically, but I'm going to beat you mentally, and so you never give up. If seventy five or six was the best I could do, it certainly made the sixty seven. I was going to need to shoot the next day to make the cut a much more viable approach rather than getting all mad and huffy about it because he just you know. It's like the two things with Rory, the one I alluded to where he won the Open, where I basically had him. He was monitoring how he played the secondman one, which is his PGA at Kiowa, where I saw in the week before, and he had a terrible year so far. He'd been up and down. His girlfriend, who's now a fiance was an Aki, the tennis player. Uh me, he just he wasn't consistent. He missed, he hadn't defended his US opened very well at Olympic Club in San Francisco. He missed and cuts me as we were leaving Akron the week before, I'm leaving to go play Minnesota, and he's so I'm getting on Wednesday, and I said, I want you to do me a favor. And he looks right at me, which he always does, and I said to him, I said, you know, I am getting really tired of turning on a TV and telling whether you burdy or bowie the last hole. And I don't know why you're giving these people, your opponents, an opportunity.
Speaker 1: To get you.
Speaker 3: I said, you just you just have to, uh you got to forget the bad shots, and he did. I mean literally, he won the PGA QUBA by eight shots. He won both these majors by eight but it was it was kind of neat from the fact that he shot seventy six in the second round. Seventy six is still one by eight eight. Yeah, So I mean there's you know, there's again. I'll go back and back to that, but that's basically I guess if he asked my blessing. I learned one of the cutest things for me. I was fishing in Seattle and this older gentleman. I went out on this boat with him. He had an old boat, had both kids with me. I'd been going for years and these fancy cabin cruiser and couldn't catch a salmon. This guy caught five in the first hour fishing this thing, and he's got the lure's name. It's really cute. So I left the kids overnight. I went to Plague, went back, played the pro am, came back out where in the boat and his name was Mike Hunt. And he turned to me and he says, how old do you think I am. I'm looking at him. He's Norwegian, big hands. I said, I don't know, Mike. You got to be sixty eight or nine. Somebody says, yeah, I'm seventy nine. Said I don't look at do And I said no. He says, you know why, I said no, not exactly. He said, if God didn't count, the day's just spent fishing. And I'm thinking about that. I'm thinking and because he is getting toward, you know, September is getting toward the end of the year, you're starting to lose patience. It's not quite heading season. It was like a twilight zone for me. And I went out to play an ever at this tournament, and if I hadn't invited Bobby Cole, I would have won it. I finished second, but I spent the entire four days thinking about how God didn't count the days I spent golfing, and I couldn't believe how relaxed that made me instead of getting all tensed up and everything else. You know, so I'm always finding stuff like that. Well, Fred, I've got to be running here. This has been an enjoyable time.
Speaker 1: Oh Davey, thank you for saying that, because it's been amazing for me too. I really enjoyed speaking to you and wish you best of luck in the world. And let everyone know it's Stockton Goolf dot com if you want to get lessons with Dave or either of his sons, and the book Own Your Game by Dave Stockton and the other two books Unconscious Putting, Unconscious Scoring. Dave, thank you so much for your time. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Okay, good Bred, Let's do it again.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll hold you to that one
Speaker 3: Okay, you got it.