Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: It's nine two of the Democratic National Convention. And you may remember last night both producer Twela Sharp and I were comment seeing about how far over as an overtime Night one went.
Speaker 3: He said, that is really really strange.
Speaker 2: That probably messed up a lot of plans, and they President Biden didn't hit the stage until eleven thirty East Coast time. Now, if you're the keynote speaker for the evening, especially if you're the sitting president, hitting the stage at eleven thirty East Coast time was not the plan, especially when this is supposed to be like a goodbye moment for the president. As far as his public addressing of the Democratic Party, he hit the stage at eleven thirty pm.
Speaker 3: Depending on what report you read.
Speaker 2: Biden's staffers were angry that the President wasn't given more prime time during the time because most of these events are our schedule with respect to pleasing the East Coast, So you don't want him on stage after ten pm because you start losing audience. And if he doesn't hit the stage until eleven thirty pm, you've already lost audience no matter what, you just have, so you didn't get to maximize the moment, at least for whatever designs Joe Biden had. And I was watching the rundown with Towala because we were trying to schedule. Okay, we know we're going to take the address, so it's a function of we have to plan. All right, are we going to take this break or nine? I'm talking to Mark, I'm talking to Stephanside. Are we going to go to commercial? No, I think it's coming to the stage. Well, what happened was the DNC didn't follow its own schedule because they were so far behind. They were at least an hour and a half behind, and they took people off the schedule.
Speaker 3: Singer James Taylor, you know Fire and Rain.
Speaker 2: James Taylor was supposed to perform last night right after I believe the First Lady, kind of bridging the gap between the First Lady and the President.
Speaker 3: James Taylor was actually rehearsing.
Speaker 4: In the hall.
Speaker 2: He was ready to go, and they gave him the acts because they were more than an hour and a half behind time. But here's the funny part. The DNC press people didn't tell the truth they said quote. Because of the raucous applause, interrupting speaker after speaker, we ultimately skipped elements of our program to ensure we could get to President Biden as quickly as possible, so that he could speak directly to the American people. We are proud of the electric atmosphere in our convention hall and proud that our convention is showcasing the broad and diverse coalition behind the Harris Walls ticket throughout the week, on and off the stage. That was a statement that was released to the Hollywood Reporter. And again Twaya and I were watching the events in Sudi was and we both said, wow, they gave Hillary click a lot of time or or she took extra time, because usually when you're speaking earlier in the evening, you're not allotted that much time. I know she's a name in the party, but given where she was placed in a program, you don't take like because we were thinking, like, she got on stage maybe ten minutes before we got we started the show last night, and we were wondering, like, well, are we going to take anything from her speech?
Speaker 3: And I said, nah, because she's not gonna be on.
Speaker 2: Stage fifteen minutes from then, and she was on twenty minutes from then.
Speaker 3: She was speaking a good twenty minutes, and I was thinking, like.
Speaker 2: That's odd, but it set in motion how the rest of the night got further and further behind, and so you ended up with the Joe Biden hitting the stage at eleven thirty pm East Coast time. Because I remember we were taking the lead up right before the break and I'll say to Steph and A, were going to go to this commercial breakord not and It's like, no, no, no, no, this is actually Biden. So that means getting ready to go to the president, and so we took it all the way and he spoke for like another fifty minutes, which put him well into Tuesday morning, East Coast time. So you know, these are the things which are going on behind the scenes that sometimes people don't realize, and I knew when they were behind It's like that that could not have been the plan, not for the president, not for the money that they were spending, and not for the overall look, because you want your keynote to hit during the middle of prime time because they're supposed to be out by ten pm local time.
Speaker 3: They're in Chicago so that's eight pm our time. Chicago's two hours ahead. People assume Madonna for that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: No, to Walt, I.
Speaker 3: Were just talking about that.
Speaker 2: For concerts and you know, union houses, you can't go an hour and a half overever that.
Speaker 5: Much money or for an event like that. The bill that the union workers sent out was massive.
Speaker 2: Well no, no, it was times ten because the Chicago Union, you know how Chicago gets.
Speaker 5: They get down so that I mean and again, and they have when everyone is out, there can't be a single security person in the building. Nothing, They can't touch a light until everything is clear.
Speaker 2: Man, I suspect that this night will go a lot quicker. Of course they will have the Obama is both former President Obama and also former First Lady Michelle Obama who will be speaking, and they'll close out the night. So I expect probably former President Obama to hit the stage in the next fifteen to twenty minutes.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, because I'm from looking at the schedule, I believe that, oh, they were supposed to come on after a second gentleman, second gentleman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so that's probably they're much more on schedule tonight.
Speaker 3: Because someone got their hands lapped.
Speaker 2: Someone probably got fired after last night, but we'll continue to follow that will bring you some of the remarks of former President Obama if it hits not during a commercial break, it's Later with mo Kelly. Care if I am six forty we are live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM sixty.
Speaker 2: And last night I was talking to producer Twilla Sharp and he was asking the like, how do we know if the convention I'm paraphrasing, how do we know that you know how well the convention is going? Because I was making the point talking about the DNC that the DNC is a pep rally. It's about uniting the party and having the swell of support. You want to turn a moment into momentum and turn that momentum into a movement, which is which would in theory propel you through the tape. It's like running to the finish line, which would be election day. Well, there's certain metrics along the way. It could be polling over the course of the week, it could be fundraising over the course of the week, and as that information comes in, you get a better sense of whether the DNC is being received, whether it's resonating with voters or just Americans more generally, because I think people sometimes overestimate how much average Americans do not pay close attention to all of the politics. Now, we sometimes get in our bubbles, we think because we watch MSNBC or Fox News every single day, that everyone cares about these things as much as we do, and that's really not the truth. People don't really start tuning in literally until the conventions, and that's when it starts to become more and more top of mind for people. But as far as metrics go, Deadline Hollywood throughout these numbers that the DNC drew twenty million viewers last night, Well, mo, what does that mean?
Speaker 3: Give us some context?
Speaker 2: Okay, twenty million for the first night was more viewers than the first three nights of the RNC, more viewers for DMC Night one than either night one, two or three for the RNC. The R and C fourth night, in which former President Trump was speaking, drew twenty five million.
Speaker 3: You can use that as a comparison point.
Speaker 2: Now, that doesn't mean that more people are going to vote Democrat, but it does mean that people are tuned in and interested to see what is happening in Chicago. That is a data point, and if it grows, then you will see that there is increasing interest. And I would think that pattern would be more significant. For example, if they had twenty million last night and it drops off to fourteen million, that's more like, oh, we're just tuning in to see what this is all about. We don't want to see more, and then it's not really significant. But if it goes from twenty million to twenty two or twenty three million, then you have to start looking at the fact that people are enjoying the DNC or gravitating to it. You're not going to grow your audience. If the products not then something that you want to see. So that is what I'm looking for. That data point will tell us which way it's headed, and there's something else up to I also talked about fundraising, don't I don't know how much Democrats fundraise in the last twenty four hours, but I can tell you about how much they've managed to raise in the past thirty days. And if you combine that with the viewership, in other words, if there's going to be escalating viewership, then it's reasonable to assume that there would be escalating fundraising the Harris ticket since she became the presumptive nominee.
Speaker 3: She's still the presumptive nominee. She's not the actual nominee.
Speaker 2: Not until Thursday, or actually tonight with the roll call, she becomes the actual nominee. But since then and now, the Harris election effort has raised about one half of billion dollars five hundred million dollars in about thirty days. No matter how you cut it, that's pretty significant. Again, that doesn't mean votes, but it does pay for an election. It pays for ads, it pays for social media, it pays for campaigning on the ground, visiting the different states, and the retail politics. It makes sure that there are no financial limitations to whatever a campaign wants it to be. It doesn't mean that they won't mess it up. It just means that money won't be an issue. And that's about a good two three hundred I'm sorry, that's not even counting the four or five hundred million that Joe Biden had brought in and also the inherited money, so she's close to a billion dollars because remember the fundraising under Biden, Harris made money that's separate from this. Remember they had like a two hundred million they think fundraised in July ish leading up to July, and there was a question of who would get that money. Well it had to be Kamala Harris or not at all because of FEC rules. So just letting you know, first, Lady Michelle Obama is speaking right now. We may drop in for that. As a matter of fact, let's drop in that and see what she has to say.
Speaker 3: It's for a moment. You got a big night a head. Thank you all so much, Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Okay, hey, Hellne Chicago. Yeah, all right, something something wonderfully magical.
Speaker 3: Is in the air, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know we're feeling it here in this arena, but it's spreading all across this country. We love a familiar feeling that's been buried too deep for far too long. You know what I'm talking about. It's the contagious power of hope, the anticipation, the energy, the exhilaration of once again being on the cusp of a brighter day, the chance to vanquish the demons of fear, division and hate that have consumed us and continue pursuing the unfinished promise of this great nation, the dream that our parents and grandparents fought and died and sacrificed for America. Hope is making a comeback. But to be honest, I am realizing that until recently I have mourned the dimming of that hope, and maybe you've experienced the same feelings. Is that deep pit in my stomach, a palpable sense of dread about the future, And for me, that mourning has also been mixed with.
Speaker 3: My own personal grief.
Speaker 6: The last time I was here in my hometown was to memorialize my mother, the woman who showed me the meaning of hard work and humility and decency, the woman who set my moral compass high and showed me the power of my own voice. Folks, I still feel her loss so profoundly. I wasn't even sure if I'd be steady enough to stand before you tonight. But my heart compelled me to be here because of the sense of duty that I feel to honor her memory and to remind us all not to squander the sacrifices are elders made to give us a better future.
Speaker 2: This later with mo Kelly, we'll continue to follow the events at the DNC. First Lady Michelle Obama, former First Lady Michelle Obama speaking right now.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: And as we continue to talk about what's going on at the DNC and give some perspective and analysis about what is significant, what is insignificant. Something I think which is significant. There were a number of Republicans, not former Republicans, but Republicans who spoke today at the DNC and you think, well, they're just sellouts, they're just rhinos, they are Republicans in name only, when that's not actually the case. There are a number of people and this goes back to the whole purpose of a convention. It's about unity and what I thought was a missed opportunity during the RNC for whatever reasons. You know, the Republicans can run their conviction however they want. I thought it was a missed opportunity to not have anytime you have a living former president, you want that person at your convention. They didn't have former President George W.
Speaker 3: Bush.
Speaker 2: And there are a lot of president day senators and powerful leaders in the Republican Party which weren't at the RNC. Because you want to demonstrate unity, and a lot of those people who, for whatever reasons may not support Donald Trump. Some are more vocal than others, and some now are showing up at the DNC and they are former Georgia Lieutenant Governor Jeff Duncan.
Speaker 3: He was elected to the state House in twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: He was later elected at the state lieutenant governor in twenty eighteen and did not seek re election after that. There's mesa. Arizona Mayor John Giles saw some of the speech earlier today and he was someone who I guess came up under former Senator, the late Senator John McCain. And we all know former Illinois Congressman Adam former Congressman Adam Kingseinger. He was on the January sixth House Committee. The last two I think are most significant. Former Trump White House National Security Official Olivia Troy was speaking this evening. Earlier this evening, and also Trump White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham. That's significant, if only because someone from the previous Republican administration not showing well, not only not showing public support, but also showing up at the opposing parti's convention. So those are the different layers that you have at these events, but a lot of it is about perception. You're trying to present a picture, you're trying to paint a mosaic. You're trying to reach as many people as you can. And during the convention, this is about the only time where you get i'll say a main line of a party that it's leadership, it's platform, its ideas. And they have most of the networks, like you turn on most of the networks NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox News, CNN, MSNBC. For the most part, they're carrying and covering the DNC as they did the RNC just a month ago.
Speaker 3: You don't get this type of screen time. Oh but also this towall.
Speaker 2: Remember we were watching the roll Call of States, and the role call of States is the process where the state delegates officially pledged their delegates for the nomination and how the presumptive nominee becomes the actual nominee. The Democrats today obviously did it state by state, but they also had a DJ playing music from that state from an art like Michigan. They had eminem music they're playing. They played Beyonce from Texas. But you brought something even more I would say unusual to my attention.
Speaker 5: The fact that they were using DJ Cassidy. DJ Cassidy right now is not just nationally known. He is internationally known for bringing together musical artists young and old for this event, which he calls Past the Mic, and he brought past the Mic to the DNC floor and by doing that, he literally captivated all of the younger generation that the DNC is going for. Why because this band has a demnar kajillion followers on all social media outlets, meaning that the role call was going out across all social media platforms.
Speaker 2: And I noticed that each state has no more than sixty seconds, And if you haven't figured it out, that's about the length of a TikTok.
Speaker 3: Yes, with music that has.
Speaker 2: Already been cleared, they don't have to worry about being sued for it. They have the rights to use it and also use it on social media. So what happens is that whole role call the different states will be going out to millions and millions of people just on TikTok and I'm quite sure Instagram and everything where they can forward the message all around the world. I know it's just United States and voters, but I'm saying, you want to reach as many people as you can because people now, like I said last segment, are just for the most part, starting to really tune in to the presidential race.
Speaker 3: I'm not talking about you, I'm not talking about me. We've been following it since the last election.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about the average everyday America and has not been tuning in and has not been going at each other on social media day in and day out. But this for someone who's maybe eighteen to twenty eight, maybe their first or second election in which they'll be actually voting, they may be seeing this process for the very first time, and the first point of contact may not be TV.
Speaker 3: It may be TikTok.
Speaker 5: Like my son, this is his first year being able to vote, and he is probably seeing the roll call on social media because.
Speaker 3: He's not watching TV.
Speaker 5: He's not watching TV, but he is watching what's happening on TikTok and things like that are discussed among him and his friends group. That is how he finds. Most of his politics is on social media. So something like that going out to this generation that you need to vote more than ever, Now, Yeah, that wins.
Speaker 3: See, that's how the.
Speaker 2: Whole process has changed where you and me we grew up.
Speaker 3: We see this on TV.
Speaker 2: We're used to the customary way of how politicians and elected officials reach voters. But I can tell you my blended sons, they're not watching this on TV. I guarantee you they're not watching this. They have no intentions of watching this, and whatever opinions that they may form about the presidential election will be from TikTok. I guarantee you that.
Speaker 4: Whatever happened to the good old days when a dad would beat your political opinions right India when you're a kid, I.
Speaker 3: Think that went out in the nineteen eighties. But I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: A lot of times we got our political opinions from our parents, either directly or indirectly, but we got them from our friends and family right around us, because let's call it indoctrination or whatever. But you know, you were given your political views as a child, and then hopefully as you got older, you started to form your own views and come to your own conclusions.
Speaker 3: But now that dynamic I don't think is the same.
Speaker 2: And maybe it is on some level, but not the same, if only because children have access to far more information.
Speaker 3: Than you or I did, then Twalla or me or.
Speaker 2: Even stephan because they got this little computer in their hands and access to the Internet, and they can find out a whole lot of stuff, a lot.
Speaker 4: Of it we don't even necessarily condone. Oh, and they don't just use it to look up naked people. By the way, one quick bit of information before we get a break here, you were talking about Republicans who switch teams and are supporting the DNC. Here, I keep running across this figure that forty out of Trump's forty four hands selected cabinet members do not support him. I'm just reporting that number and making note of the fact that that's extraordinary. We've never seen that before. It is extraordinary. But there's a difference, and I would make one subtle distinction. There's the forty who are not supporting him and remaining in the background, and there are those few like Adam Kingsinger and Olivia Troy and Stephanie Grisham who are taking the affirmiest step to step forward and say, hey, we are still Republicans, but we're not supporting Donald Trump.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 4: And also, remember we didn't see Mike Pence anywhere. Is he still alive?
Speaker 8: Time.
Speaker 3: Look at the time, I am six forty. We're live everywhere in the iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: KFI Mo Kelly Live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: As we watch what is happening at the DNC, former President Barack Obama has now taken the stage.
Speaker 3: Let's listen to a little bit of what he's saying.
Speaker 8: At a time when our economy was reeling, we needed a leader with the determination to drive what would become the world's strongest recovery, fifteen million jobs, higher wages, lower healthcare costs. At a time when the other party had turned into a cult of personality, we needed.
Speaker 7: A leader who was steady and brought people together, and was selfless.
Speaker 8: Enough to do the rarest thing there is in politics, putting his own ambition aside for the sake of the country. History will remember Joe Biden as an outstanding president who defended democracy at a moment of great danger. And I am proud to call him my president, but I am even prouder to call him my friend. Now the torch has been passed. Now it is up to all of us to fight for the American we believe in, And make no mistake.
Speaker 7: It will be a fight.
Speaker 8: For all the incredible energy we've been able to generate over the last few weeks.
Speaker 7: For all the rallies and the memes, this.
Speaker 8: Will still be a tight race in a closely divided country, a country where too many Americans are still struggling, where a lot of Americans don't believe government can help. And as we gather here tonight, the people who will decide this election.
Speaker 7: Are asking a very simple question. Who will fight for me?
Speaker 8: Who's thinking about my future, about my children's future, about our future together. One thing is for certain, Donald Trump is not losing sleep over that question. Here's a seventy eight year old billionaire who has not stopped whining about his problems since he wrote down his Golden Escalator nine years ago. It has been a constant stream of gripes and grievances that's actually been getting worse now that he's afraid of losing the cobblin. There's the childish nicknames, the crazy conspiracy theories, this weird.
Speaker 7: Obsession with crowd sizes. It just goes on and on and on.
Speaker 8: The other day, I heard someone compare Trump to the neighbor who keeps running his leaf blower outside your window every minute of every day. Now from a neighbor, that's exhausting. From a president, it's just dangerous. The truth is Donald Trump sees power as nothing more than it means to his ends. He wants the middle class to pay the price for another huge tax cut that would mostly help him and his rich friends. He killed a bipartisan immigration deal written in part by one of the most conservative Republicans in Congress.
Speaker 7: That would have helped secure our southern border.
Speaker 8: Because he thought trying to actually solve the problem would hurt his campaign.
Speaker 7: He doesn't do not boom hope. He doesn't seem.
Speaker 8: To care if more women lose their reproductive freedom since it won't affect his life. And most of all, Donald Trump wants us to think that this country is hopelessly divided between us and them, between the real Americans who of course support him, and the outsiders who don't. And he wants you to think that you'll be richer and safer if you will just give him the power to put those other people back in their place. It is one of the oldest tricks in politics from a guy who's act has let's face a gutten pretty stale. We do not need four more years a bluster and bumbling and chaos. We have seen that movie before, and we all know that.
Speaker 7: The sequel is usually worse.
Speaker 2: KFIM six forty played with Mill Kelly. We're listening to some of the moments at the DNC. Former President Barack Obama speaking right now.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: KFI, Miss m'kelly.
Speaker 2: We're lived everywhere on the iHeartRadio app, and be sure to tune in tomorrow at nine am as you can pick up Gary and Shannon as they're broadcasting live all week from the Democratic National Convention. As a matter of fact, right now President Barack Obama is speaking, we'll take a little bit more of his audio.
Speaker 8: Kamalin knows that if we want to help people get ahead, we need to put a college degree within reach of more Americans. But she also knows college shouldn't be the only ticket to the middle class. We need to follow the lead of governors like Tim Wallas, who said, if you've got the skills and the drive, you shouldn't need a degree to work for state government.
Speaker 7: And in this new.
Speaker 8: Economy, we need a president who actually cares about the millions of people all across this country who wake up every single day to do the essential, often thankless work, to care for our sick, to clean our streets, to deliver our packages.
Speaker 9: We need a president who will stand up for they're right to bargain for better wages and working conditions, and Promula will be that president.
Speaker 7: Yes she can't, Yes she can't. Yes, Harris Walt's administration.
Speaker 8: Can help us move past some of the tired old debates that keeps stifling progress. Because of their core Kamala and Tim understand that when everybody gets a fair shot, we.
Speaker 7: Are all better off. They understand that.
Speaker 8: When every child gets a good education, the whole economy gets stronger. When women are paid the same as men for doing the same job, all families benefit. They understand that we can secure our borders without tearing kids away from.
Speaker 7: Their parents, just like we can.
Speaker 8: Keep our streets safe while also building trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve and eliminating bias that will make it better for everybody. Donald Trump and his well heeled donors, they don't see the.
Speaker 7: World that way. For them, one.
Speaker 8: Group's gains is necessarily another group's loss.
Speaker 7: For them.
Speaker 8: Freedom means that the powerful can do pretty much what they please, whether it's fireworkers trying to organize a union, or put poison in our rivers, or avoid paying taxes like everybody else has to do.
Speaker 7: Well. We have a broader idea of freedom.
Speaker 8: We believe in the freedom to provide for your family if you're willing to work hard, the freedom to breathe clean air and drink clean water, and send your kids to school without worrying if they'll come home. We believe that true freedom gives each of us the right to make decisions about our own life, how we worship, what our family looks like, how.
Speaker 7: Many kids we have, who we marry.
Speaker 8: And we believe that freedom requires us to recognize that other people have the freedom to make choices that are different than ours. That's okay, That's the America.
Speaker 7: Kamala Harrison Tim Walls believe in.
Speaker 8: An America where we the people includes everyone, because that's the only way this American experiment works. And despite what our politics might suggest, I think most Americans understand that democracy isn't just a bunch of abstract principles and dusty laws in some book somewhere.
Speaker 7: It's the values we live by.
Speaker 8: It's the way we treat each other, including those who don't look like us, or pray like us, or.
Speaker 7: See the world exactly like we do.
Speaker 8: That sense of mutual respect has to be part of our message. Our politics have become so polarized these days that all of us across the political spectrum seem so quick to assume the worst in others unless they agree with us on every single issue. We start thinking that the only way to win is to scold and shame and out yell the other side, and after a while, regular folks just.
Speaker 7: Tune out or they don't bother to vote.
Speaker 8: Now, that approach may work for the politicians who just want attention and thrive on division, but it won't work for us. To make progress on the things we care about, things that really affect people's lives.
Speaker 7: We need to remember that we've all got.
Speaker 8: Our blind spots and contradictions and prejudices, and that if we want to win over those who aren't yet ready to support our candidates, we need to listen to their concerns and maybe learn something in the process.
Speaker 7: After all, if a.
Speaker 8: Parent or grandparent occasionally says something that makes us cringe, we don't automatically assume they're bad people. We recognize that the world is moving fast, that they need time and maybe a.
Speaker 7: Little encouragement to catch up.
Speaker 8: Our fellow citizens deserve the same grace we hope they'll extend to us. That's how we can build a true democratic majority, one that can get things done. And by the way, that does not just matter to the people in this country.
Speaker 7: The rest of the world is.
Speaker 8: Watching to see if we can actually pull this off.
Speaker 7: No nation, no.
Speaker 8: Society, has ever tried to build a democracy as big and as diverse as ours before, one that includes people that, over decades, have come from every corner of the globe.
Speaker 7: One where our.
Speaker 8: Allegiances in our community are defined not by race or blood, but by a common creed. And that's why when we uphold our value, the world's a little brighter, well we don't. The world's a little dimmer, and dictators and autocrats feel emboldened, and over time we become less safe. We shouldn't be the world's policeman, and we can't eradicate every cruelty and injustice in the world, but America can be and must be a force for good.
Speaker 2: This is Later with Mo Kelly. Can if I am six forty. We're live everywhere on the iHeart radio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Former President Obama is still speaking. And it's interesting because even though the DNC went long.
Speaker 3: Last night, they're going to go long again tonight.
Speaker 2: Former President Obama, he obviously is just warming up in the sense of he's in the heart of his speech and he's a good look. I will say thirty five thirty six menu it's in and which is eleven thirty again on the East Coast. Although President Biden was starting about ten minutes earlier than this last night. You know, they're still gonna end up with pretty much the same problem if you will running late and you have your keynote speaker not necessarily hitting I'll say the sweet spot of the primetime audience. But you know, I guess I just wonder who who gets fired over this?
Speaker 3: To wallet, Doesn't someone.
Speaker 2: Get fired because you would think, let me back up, you may not know all the speakers are given a certain amount of time in advance they're told, let's say you have two minutes, Let's say you have ninety seconds. Let's say if you have three minutes, or you're only supposed to introduce the next person, you're not supposed to add lip what have you. And yes, they do figure in crowd response to the overall timing, but to again be it, at this point, they'll probably be at least an hour over It's strange.
Speaker 5: Well, I've also raised so much money. They're possibly just saying, you know what, spend it. There's no other time to spend it than on the DNC. Well let's spend it now. Let's go big and get all this good press.
Speaker 2: Well, then there's that, because if you weren't listening earlier, I indicated how Kamala Harris had raised a half a billion dollars in the past month, and I was positing if if the ratings excuse me, the viewership for night one was an indication of where things were going, and it goes in an upward direction. It was twenty million the first night former President Obama was just finished speaking, and we find out tomorrow that the viewership is even more than twenty million. That probably means that the fundraising will increase as well. Absolutely absolutely, you're having increasing interest, not lacking or waning interest. And if you didn't hear, the first night of the DNC was more than the first three nights of the RNC. If you want to make a direct comparison, twenty million for the first night of the DNC. The RNC never eclipsed twenty million until the last night in which former President Trump spoke, and that was twenty five million. So I think tomorrow will get a better sense of whether the DNC is on an upward or downward trajectory, and whether the first night was about lookielo and see what's going on generally, or is it something which is captured America's imagination.
Speaker 3: And more and more people are tuning in.
Speaker 2: And I say that because if they're increasing in viewership, that means people are also hearing about it from other people or they're seeing it on social media and they didn't see the first night and so they want to catch the second night. That's what Also, I go back to the fact that regardless of party, you always want to have former president speaking because the former president brings a built in audience. Always it's nice to hear from Congress person so and so or governor so and so. But if you have a two term president that can speak, that always carries weight, that's heft. You want that as a party, and the Democrats do have I will say the benefit in that regard. They have three presidents who are speaking, one one term president who's the sitting president, and Joe Biden. They have two former two term presidents in Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.
Speaker 3: All of them are speaking.
Speaker 2: So tomorrow, I think will give us a better sense of where the DNC is going. And also you can always listen the KFI from nine am to one pm as Gary and Shannon will be covering these events live and giving their perspective of what they're seeing on the ground. I said this before, I've only been to one DNC and the same year went to one RNC. It was two thousand and eight in a work capacity, and they're very very different conventions. Not only are they trying to speak to different groups of people, the thought and approach are very different. For the R and C, which was in Minneapolis, and let me tell you, Mark Ronner, nice place to visit.
Speaker 3: Don't ever want to go back. There's just nothing to do in Minneapolis. Nothing.
Speaker 4: I don't think I've ever been there. I thought I thought you'd been just about everywhere in the Midwest. Minneapolis. Know, isn't that where the mystery science theater guys come from and they always make fun of them. All of America, Yes, mall of America has never had any reason to go there whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Either did I. But since it was for work, why not. And it was It was in the dead of summer, so it was hot and humid. But the way that the Republicans put their convention together, and from what I'm told, is very similar, is there. It's about people where they feel that anyone could this is just my take on it, where anyone would walk into that place, anyone like you could just be walking by outside. It's like, hey, come on in, you know, come on, come on. That's how they try to position it. Where the DNC is like, hey, we have this hot performance in here, come on here, we have this party jumping off. And that's how they market the DNC. And you can see it's it's kind of consistent with that, where the DNC has all sorts of performances, music, guests, music woven into even the roll call and the RNC is just not built that way. They're not trying to be built that way, and it's just two different methods and strategies of trying to reach their core demographics. So tomorrow, to answer your question against Waller, I think we'll have some updated fundraising numbers, will definitely have some updated viewership numbers, and we'll see whether the DNC is landing with people and picking up.
Speaker 3: Momentum or losing momentum.
Speaker 2: Because tomorrow night is Governor Walls is going to formally accept the vice presidential nomination, and usually usually there's a crescendo throughout the week.
Speaker 5: Now isn't tomorrow? It also former President Bill Clinton.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 3: So that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Like the way they've stacked this deck, they you would have thought they played their best card on night one, but it's like noble. We have both Michelle and Barack on night two, we have Bill and Walls all night three, and we've got Harris on on night four. We're pretty much ramping up.
Speaker 2: That's the way it's supposed to go, and they have there's always like a voyeuristic factors, like we haven't heard from Bill Clinton, and I don't know when yep. You always want to know what's his health, like, how's he sounding, what type of remarks he's going to make, because you got to think this might be the last DNC for Bill Clinton. Honestly, I'm not. You know, he's getting up there in the age and you don't know what the next DNC will need, you know, what they'll want or whether he'll want to be a part of it in the same way. So there's a there's a voyeur aspect to this, and you know, this is a moment in politics which that you don't see all that often, the type of fervor and excitement for one party, This type of unity you haven't seen in the Democrats since two thousand and eight. But I will see if they can sustain it. One thing I have noticed, and this goes back to my conversation with Mark Ronner, no mention of the protests.
Speaker 3: The protests have not played any role.
Speaker 4: No, And I think the media was trying to build them up into more than they were in the first place.
Speaker 3: As we had discussed I guess it was yesterday.
Speaker 4: It seems like a lot of people in news media are really trying to gin something up, and they're getting kind of pissy that it's not happening. Well, I've been following this really closely on all sorts of different venues.
Speaker 2: All you can do is tell the truth, and the protests have not materialized at all. Are there people protesting out there?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 3: Is it a thing?
Speaker 2: Is it something that merits the attention that it's been receiving.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 4: And by the way, I can tell you having been in the middle of the wto riots, massive clan rally, all that kind of stuff, you think you want to be in the middle of that covering it?
Speaker 8: You do not?
Speaker 3: No, No, absolutely no. They want to cover it from a distance. Of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't want to be in the middle of that. I've been teargast and shot with rubber bullets more times than any journalist.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: It's not fun.
Speaker 3: No, they want to talk about it from the anchor desk.
Speaker 2: Oh, well, we got so do I Now. It's Later with Moe Kelly. Can't I Am six forty live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty