Speaker 1: So I'm sitting there, going do I bring this up to my dad?
Speaker 2: Because I'm either going to get an earful or he's not going to believe me. I kept going, all right, do I bring this up? And I was I was trying to get up the courage to ask him, because, like.
Speaker 1: I said, he's a great guy.
Speaker 2: But I was like, I don't know if I want to get an earful here or not. And I finally got the courage and I'm like, Dad, Man, I got to ask you something, did you?
Speaker 1: And he goes, did you see the fog too?
Speaker 2: This morning? And I'm like, you're freaking kidding me, man, Like you saw it? And so it was almost like he was waiting for me to bring it up. Once I brought it up, He's like, you saw the blinking fogs?
Speaker 1: Who didn't you?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, you're freaking kidding me, Yeah I did. And so we started talking comparing notes. He said the same thing. It was this dull gray. It definitely wasn't bright, but it was this on off, same cadence and everything, and I was like, what the heck is that? And he's like, Chris, I don't know. Man.
Speaker 3: At the end of each episode, I like to remind people that there's something in the woods, and sometimes that's not Bigfoot. There's other things out there that people experience that we don't have an explanation for that hasn't been proven, but that doesn't make them any less real. And my guest on this episode is a person that has experienced one of those things that has really intrigued me, and I was fortunate enough to have him agree to come on and talk about it. Chris, Welcome to Bigfoot Crossroads.
Speaker 1: I Matt, thanks for having me man.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate the opportunity to share my experience and see if anyone else has experienced this as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so before we get to that, you're a listener and enjoyer, I hope a Bigfoot podcast around the internet.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, listen to them all the time.
Speaker 3: Boy, got you interested in that?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Good question. So my dad is kind of an outdoorsy guy and loved all the National Geographic and all those kind of mystery things growing up, and I just remember him watching a documentary on the Patterson Gimblin film and watching the film and being like, Wow, what if something's out there like that? And so that was when I was a kid. I don't know, probably eight or less. Hard to say, but it would probably been in the late eighties early nineties when I saw it and piqued my interests. I've been curious about it ever since, ever since.
Speaker 1: So that's where it started.
Speaker 3: Now, did you have experiences growing up or anything with you know, what I call the unexplained paranormal cryptids and anything like that.
Speaker 2: A good question. No, I really haven't. The experience we're going to talk about is really the only thing I can think of that ever was like weird enough to mention. So now I didn't have any paranormal anything happened growing up? Nope.
Speaker 3: I think that's important to mention, you know. I like to point out that sometimes there are people out there who they'll experience something, or they'll have like kind of a lifelong thing going on where they experience one thing after another, or sometimes they experience something and then they start experiencing other things. But then every once in a while that's not the case. Sometimes there's a person who's like, yeah, nothing ever happened until this happened. That's it, and that's kind of where you're at. And so yeah, let's just get right into it walk us through everything. You know, what was going on that day, what you were doing, and what you experienced.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, Yes, sir.
Speaker 2: At any point you want me to clarify or have a question, please interrupt me. I don't mind.
Speaker 1: So I grew up in a small town.
Speaker 2: In northwestern Illinois.
Speaker 1: It's called Sulton, Illinois if you look it up.
Speaker 2: It's around the Missippi River right on the Highway Illinois border. So I like to joke that I'm a redneck and a river rat combined. But my dad and I we would hunt and fish like in all our spare time. So I grew up more in concrete with him, and then in our free time we'd go hunting fishing. So my dad was just loved being out in the woods and he'd take me with him. So deer hunting, square hunt and rabbit and all that stuff basically spent my childhood. If I wasn't playing sports or in school, that's what me and him were doing. So but anyway, so this would have been the time frame I would have been in college, so it was somewhere between. If I had a guess, November two thousand and four or November two thousand and five, it was opening a week of deer season. I can't remember which specific day it was, but in Illinois first season back then, I believe it was a Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and it would have been one of those days. And so it took place north of where I grew up, in a really small town called Mount Carroll, Illinois. If you look it up on a map, it's off Skunk Hollow Road up in Mount Carroll, Illinois.
Speaker 1: So kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of it?
Speaker 3: I have not, But Skunk Callow Road is an interesting name.
Speaker 2: Wow? Cool? All right? Why is that?
Speaker 1: Why does that jump out to you?
Speaker 3: Back in the day, whenever I was going out with hitting boots on the ground research, one of the things we would look at geographically was place names, old place names, specifically hollows and roads and things like that. And skunk is one of the things that we'd look for because we found that sometimes those places were named that because people always smelled skunks whenever they were in the area. And sometimes it's not a skunk, so I just yeah, no, head, devil, monkey. Those were all names that we would look for to look for potential bigfoot areas.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, that's really cool. I never thought of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, yeah, So my dad was very.
Speaker 1: Passionate about deer hunting. It was like the thing he loved to do most.
Speaker 2: He's still alive, he's in his late seventies, but his memory is starting to fade a little bit. So at least I've asked him some of these questions along the way too. I can interject what his thoughts were along the way. But anyway, so in that time, so my dad was very passionate, and so like we'd be up at two thirty in the more because we have you know, I'd got to be in the timber at like four point thirty. You know, I did not spook anything away. He was one of those guys, which I certainly appreciate about him. But so we get out there super early dark. We'd be walking out there with little flashlights or or red lights on just to get out there and wait, and we'd sit for hours before the sunrise would come up. And that's what happened this morning. So I get up in this deer stand and so we're probably hunting. It's probably a fifty acre property or so something like that. I would guess forty acres was a cornfield, and then there were ten acres of timber, but the entire field or the property we were on had timber like basically all around it in kind of a U shape. And so yeah, we're hunting ten acres, but we were kind of waiting for all the deer. So what I guess I'm trying to say is it was really remote for at least northwestern Illinois. It's about as remote, I think, as you could probably get.
Speaker 1: And so I would hunt at one end.
Speaker 2: My dad was at the other end, if I had to guess, we were probably three hundred yards apart, maybe a little bit more. And so I'm sitting in the stand that day, and I was at the bottom of this hill looking up at the hillside, so my back was the cornfield, and I was right on the edge of the timber, looking up into the timber, which would have been probably I don't know, seventy five or one hundred yards up to the crest of the top of the hill, and it had to be the sun had not been hadn't risen yet, So it's kind of that.
Speaker 1: Twilight I guess we would call it.
Speaker 2: If I had to guess, I don't know, five thirty six o'clock something like that, and when it was just starting to get the coloration in the sky, I mean just barely the light.
Speaker 1: And then there was a fog rolling in.
Speaker 2: And I had seen fog plenty of times up there, it was not uncommon. But what was weird about this one was as it was rolling in, it kind of rolled i'll say, down the hill. It covered the whole hillside, and it would blink very dimly as it went down the hill. And so I'm looking up there and I'm like, am I really seeing what I'm seeing? This whole hillside would blink, and so the cadence was something like it would blink on off, on, off, on off about that tempo, and it was weird. And I remember looking around going is there a blinking light around here? And you know, mattis again, as far as this place is concerned, it's pretty remote, man. Yeah, there's farmhouses, but I couldn't see anything but one farmhouse and it was like a mile behind me, three quarters.
Speaker 1: Of a mile to a mile behind me.
Speaker 2: And it was one of those old, crappy like probably sodium fluorescene or sodium lights that we had barely I mean it was barely on, but it wasn't but it wasn't flashing, and that was the only thing I could see. And I'm looking around and I'm like, what is this again? It was dim, It was not bright at all. If I had to guess, it was like gray, just like the color of the mist or the miss the fog, I guess, And again off on, I don't know, five minutes at most, probably is at least three minutes maybe five minutes total about waste height, and it just kind of, I don't know, rolled down the hill and I just could not see a light. I had no idea what was going on. And so I was like, is that fog really blinking? Am I losing it? Is it my heart beat?
Speaker 1: Because it was almost like my heart beating, And I'm like.
Speaker 2: Is it blood flow to my eyes? I mean, I couldn't. I couldn't really place it. But then I'm like, why has this never happened before? I've been in the timber, you know, hundreds, if not thousands of times that early and never had an issue, you know. So I was like, there's something unique about that. So I wouldn't say it freaked me out, but it was pretty eerie to be like what the heck is that it to like pause and go, um, I believing what I'm seeing here? You know that sort of thing. So yeah, so fast forward. I get you'd have to know my dad to understand what I'm about to say. But my dad is a wonderful guy, a good dude, blue collar, hard worker, like his integrity is everything to him, and.
Speaker 1: He didn't tolerate.
Speaker 2: He would listen to everything I had, but lying and making up stuff was not his bag.
Speaker 1: That was definitely something he instilled in me. And so I'm sitting there going do I bring this up to my dad?
Speaker 2: Because I'm either going to get an earfull or he's not gonna believe me. And on the other side of that, he'd make fun of me a little bit, and in a good way, like that was our that's our relationship, joking and kind of picking and poking at each other. So I'm like, do I want to take the laughter that's going to come if I tell him what I just saw? So all morning I didn't see it deer that day, but all morning I kept going, all right, do I bring this up? Because usually around noon or so, I would go down to his stand and he had this huge built up scaffolding stand that he built and then we just go down and sit in the stand and talk to ear and look for deer and just hang out and stuff, you know. But so I went down at lunch and I was I was trying to get up the courage to ask him, because, like.
Speaker 1: I said, he's a great guy.
Speaker 2: But I was like, I don't know if I want to get an earful here or not. And I finally got the courage and I'm like, dad, man, I got to ask you something, did you?
Speaker 1: And he goes, did you see the fog too? This morning?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, you're freaking kidding me, man, Like you saw it? And so it was almost like he was waiting for me to bring it up because he's the guy like between the two of us, he wasn't going to say nothing because he's like, you know, it's just one of those hardcore, you know, blue collar guys though, you know. And and so he once I brought it up, he's like, you saw the blinking fog too, didn't you? And I'm like, you're freaking kidding me, Yeah I did. And so we started talking comparing notes. He said the same thing. It was this dull gray. It definitely wasn't bright, but it was this on off same cadence and everything, and I was like, what the heck is that? And he's like, Chris, I don't know, man, And he said he had never seen any anything like that before. My knowledge has not seen anything like that after and either of I it was a one and done. We both saw it, same day, same time, and we're both a little nervous to bring it up to each other, but once we did, we've talked about it for twenty years and his story has never changed and in neither is mine. And so that's the that's the blinking fog man. I don't remember anything after that. There was an incident that I was not there for. This is this is my dad's story. This would have been I think after that, if I had to guess, it would have been in a December, because the reason I say that is it would have been deer season. But I think it would have been second season, which is later in December. So when I was in college, I would have to stay at college to take finals. It was always around that time, right, like the fall semester would end in December, right, And so I would always have to skip day one or two so that I could finish five and then drive back. So it was one of those. It was either a Thursday or a Friday. I don't believe it was the same year. I think it was after that. And he's walking out to his stand even earlier than what I did that day was the blinking fog thing. And the funny thing was he never told me what I'm about to tell you until we had like like years later, when we were talking about the fog, and he goes, Hey, did I ever tell you about this other story? And I'm like, you're kidding me, you know anyways? Come on, man, Yeah, thanks? Dad, Like, what are you doing to me mad? So he brought up. He goes he's walking out to his stand again, he's by himself. I'm not there, and he gets in his stand and he goes, Chris, the forest next to us that we could not hunt and we never we never would trespass, but you could see like the whole hillside of someone else's timber. He said it exploded in light, and I'm like, what do you mean. He goes the entire timber lit up, and I'm like, Dad, I don't, I don't understand and like, what do you mean and he goes, I don't know else to say it, Chris, the entire timber just exploded in light, like I'll say, a spotlight, but it wasn't like headlights or anything like that. And I'm like, are you sure it wasn't a truck and he's like, no, it wasn't a truck.
Speaker 1: He was I never heard anything. I never heard anybody talking like. He goes, there's no one walking out there. The light wasn't bouncing like someone was walking.
Speaker 2: He goes, the entire timber lit up, like exploded in light maybe I don't know, for five to ten seconds, and then it went out and never happened again. It was as he was walking to a stand, That's what was. He was walking through the cornfield and this whole timber lit up and I'm like, did you I was joking. I'm like, did you see the craft or anything? He goes, Nope, nope, never saw anything. It was only the light. And again you'd have to know my dad for this part of the story. But my dad ain't scared and nothing, man, there was nothing. That guy wouldn't walk out in the timber to go hunting like that stop him and he goes Chris. It kind of freaked me out, and I hesitated to go to the stand that morning.
Speaker 1: He still went he's the man, you know what I mean. Yeah, And so it sounds like, you know, guys just.
Speaker 3: Like my dad, like my great grandfather that raised me, was exactly like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so you know exactly what I mean. Like for him to even admit that he was scared was kind of a big deal. I don't know if scared but like frightened or just enough to hesitate and be like, oh crap. Yeah, but he went anyway, Like I said, he's in his late seventies.
Speaker 1: His memory's going a little bit, and so when.
Speaker 2: I ask him questions now about it, be like, yeah, I do remember that, but it's like the details have become fuzzy, if that makes sense. So all I have is kind of the story that he told me around that time. So so really that's the one man, Like the blinking fog and then the explosion in the light that my dad saw also a skunk hollow road Carol, Illinois. So that's what I reached out to you about. And I have I'll say I'm cagy maybe that's a good term. Or I'm hesitant to share the story with people until I get to know them, But I do bring it up with friends and acquaintances from time to time, and usually I'll I'll just say hey, most of them are hunters or campers, and I'll just go, hey, have you ever seen anything strange out there?
Speaker 1: And they're like, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: And usually I start off with a story about my dad and I seeing a mountain lion in the same area and they were not there. The DNR said, no, there's no such nut here, and I'm like, well, that's a load of crap, because we've both seen it with our own eyes, sitting in the same stand and we know there's mountain lions here. And then that gets going, and then I'll be like, hey, have you ever seen or heard of like a blinking fog? And I've brought that up no more than twenty times to maybe twenty different people, maybe more a dozen to twenty people, and no one has ever understood what I was saying. They were like, what are you what And I'm like, don't. Clearly they don't know what I saw.
Speaker 3: They haven't seen it.
Speaker 2: They haven't seen it, and I was like, well, I sat on it for twenty years and I would bring it up. But then after I was listening to your podcast and honestly, I just appreciate.
Speaker 1: How you interview people and no judgment.
Speaker 2: I was like, maybe I'll just shoot them in an email, because I would imagine you get emails constantly, and not everything you hear makes it on the show.
Speaker 1: There's just not enough time. But I was like, maybe.
Speaker 2: Something people reach out with things other than Bigfoot, and maybe this would be something that you've heard about or someone had reached out before. So mainly I was just seeing if anyone else has ever run across this blinking fog that I call So that's where it came from. Man, that's the story.
Speaker 3: So first, like you just said, you were reluctant to come on and share. Originally I did ask your permission to share the story because it piqued my interest. I wanted to know if anybody else as witnessed this or heard of this before. You did agree to come on and share the story. Awesome, I'm glad you did.
Speaker 1: I hope it's worthy.
Speaker 2: Man. I don't know if it's very cool, but I you know.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's worthy. But yeah, If anybody out there listening has experienced blinking fog or something similar, please please contact me. You can send me an email, you can message me directly through the website Bigfook Crossroads dot com, find me on Facebook or Instagram, wherever you need to reach out at. Please do so because I'm sure Chris wants some answers, and I want some answers to my first question. This is property that you guys hunted yearly for a while? I take it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were there for a long time, man, probably I would guess around two thousand ish too, probably when I was done with grad school, med school stuff, so that would have been two thousand and ten. My dad kept going, I would say twelve to fifteen years. We hunted that same piece of property basically every year for deer season. Multiple times. Yeah, yes, sir, it was a private It was private property. A farmer that my dad went to high school with. They remained friends, and he'd just go, hey, can we go hunting up there? And he's like absolutely, So it was just the two of us that were only ever in that particular area.
Speaker 3: Did you guys ever talk to the property owner about this?
Speaker 2: Great question? I wish I would have. We didn't. It never even dawned on us. And honestly, I don't know if the guy is a great guy and he's a good friend of my dad's, but he's kind of a no nonsense farmer and I think he would have brushed it off anyway.
Speaker 1: As like an So I guess I didn't get the courage to ask him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and as far as I know, my dad's never brought it up. He's had some health problems and so I I guess I haven't seen him in a while. But no, So long story short, we've not asked him. But that's a great idea. I should, I really should.
Speaker 3: Did you hear about any other unrelated strange experiences in the area growing up from like other people or whenever you were asking about the fog? Maybe?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Nothing, nothing paranormal.
Speaker 2: I mean, we'd have a random wildlife that would come through that would be extremely rare, you know, like wolverines and stuff like that for the area, but like, nothing weird that I can remember anyway, Nothing like that.
Speaker 1: No, man, not much to go on, is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean yes and no. From your description, it sounds like it was pulsing DeMar and then brighter.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, pulsation or pulsing is a good term for it. Again at that cadence and when it when it got brighter, it wasn't bright. I'm saying brighter comparison to like when it was dark like off and on. Yeah, but when it was on, it was it was dim, but it was noticeably there pulsating, yeah, off and on, if that makes sense.
Speaker 3: And it was rolling down the hill towards your location.
Speaker 2: From my right to my left, which is kind of where the hill would kind of fall. So it was like any other rolling fog that you've anyone's probably seen that's been any time outside, right, But this one was noticeably pulsating is a great term. It is a great term.
Speaker 3: Manh Did it have a visible top to it or did it extend up into the air above where you could see.
Speaker 2: It? Did have I have a top? If I was in my stand, which is twelve to fifteen feet, so my head would have been fifteen to twenty feet above it.
Speaker 1: If I was on the ground, I would have guessed it would have been my waist height. I'm six' four so probably you, know three or four feet off the. Ground, YEAH i could see you, know like, fog you can see through it for the most, part but you could again see it kind of roll down the hill covered the whole. Hillside so from my, perspective WHERE i really saw the bulk of the i'll say the pulsating or the, BLINKING i would have guessed thirty yards something like, that twenty to thirty yards to WHERE i could really.
Speaker 3: See, it so it never encompassed, you.
Speaker 1: No, note just kept rolling down the hill and watched.
Speaker 2: It and then as like as the sky kind of the lights came on with the, sun basically it kind of faded away or just WHAT i was unable to see it at that, point like it was being i'll, say bleached out by the.
Speaker 3: Sun any experiences that you recall of missing?
Speaker 2: Time, ooh good. Question, no not THAT i know, Of not THAT i know, Of AND i THINK i know why you're asking If i've heard that question. Before but to my, KNOWLEDGE i don't have any experience with missing time That i'm aware.
Speaker 3: Of, so LIKE i, said you piqued my interest with this. One and there was one email THAT i had received a year or two ago from a guy in THE uk which had just like an amazing story and he actually sent me some materials where there was some historic case in the area that was similar to his in what they. Saw they saw it basically what sounds like a bigfoot, creature but there's some definite things to it that stand out beyond just like our Typical american bigfoot. Stuff but one of the things he mentioned was a mist and that this mist had THESE i think he used the word kind of like a, pearl iridescent points of light inside the mist that were pulsing brighter and. Dimmer but that was like the closest thing and the only thing THAT i could remember of mention of anything that involved like a fog or a mist and like it behaving. Strangely, Yeah so from THERE i did what everybody does these, days AND i asked CHAT. Gpt according to CHAT, gpt this is something that, yeah people have reported before throughout, history different versions of, it pulsing fog just seemingly to just disappear, suddenly not like, dissipate but just be gone and then come back the pulsing LIKE i. Said and something kind of interesting was it's oftentimes reported IN ufo situations and was actually connected to the famous accounts Of foo. Fighters so whenever you said that your dad mentioned the bright flash of. Light that's kind of interesting BECAUSE i mean it kind of goes along in lines with that sort of. Thing, clearly you did not see A ufo or you, know any aliens or anything in the deer.
Speaker 1: Stand, no it definitely definitely not can not see.
Speaker 3: That, no missing. Time missing times also something that's brought up with this sort of.
Speaker 2: Thing so for, Myself, No i've never actually asked my dad that. Question i'll ask him AND i can follow up and. See The only downside of that is he's in his seventies AND i can clearly see his memories starting to kind of go a little, Bit SO i don't know if he says, no it's still, maybe you know WHAT i. Mean SO i don't know how trustworthy it would. Be but BUT i can ask him and. See but that wouldn't that be? Wild can't?
Speaker 3: Wow, yeah at least there are some instances where, like you're not the only people in existence to experience this sort of. Thing apparently it's something that other people have. EXPERIENCED i can send you the information that it gave. Me how correct and accurate that information IS i don't, know but it it did there were several different uh you, know it went through the whole cabitt of like, yeah in, folklore these things are, said and then this, happened and this sas said and all, that and then here's like some natural phenomenon that take, place, Right and SO i then inquired, Specifically, okay well let's just narrow it down specifically to this type of behavior and would that potentially be explained by some naturally occurring? Phenomenon and CHAT gpt was like, no not, really so, like, YEAH i don't really know what to make of. THAT i don't know how accurate that, is LIKE i, said but it's something where apparently there is a breadcrumb trail that can be followed a little bit more and maybe there's some you, know documented cases of this that you or you AND i could look.
Speaker 2: INTO i, mean that's super.
Speaker 1: Cool that's super. COOL i GUESS i WOULDN'T i wouldn't have.
Speaker 2: Guessed you mentioned missed versus, fog just just So i'm being clear and What i'm trying to. DESCRIBE i think it was way more fog than missed in my, experience just to be clear on. That it looks just like fog to, me like regular. Fog, Right so, yeah, man that's pretty.
Speaker 1: Cool, man that's pretty.
Speaker 3: Strange what's the nearest like body of water to this?
Speaker 1: Location so The Mississippi river is probably the main.
Speaker 2: Thing, well, no now That i'm thinking about, IT i mean from a Landmark. Misissippi but there, is as the crow flies kind of through the timber to someone else's, property there are i'll say two retention lakes are kind of square shaped to the northeast of this. Property they're probably the size of a football field or, less would be my. Guest two of. Those is? That so is that you talking about like a farm. Pod it's basically like a farm pond and like a rectangle or square. Shape. Right, yeah they're like two right next to each, other with like a road right in between. Them but there there was a creek that ran right through the middle of the, cornfield but at most it would have BEEN i don't, know the cafe deep ankle deep for the most, part you, know that sort of.
Speaker 1: Thing so but other than, that that was.
Speaker 3: It any electrical right of ways.
Speaker 1: Let me, Think, NO i don't remember seeing any of.
Speaker 2: Those just regular power lines going down the of, course the roads and all that to feed the.
Speaker 1: Farmhouses but no of.
Speaker 2: The gigantic power power. Line nothing like that THAT i can.
Speaker 3: Remember any railroads.
Speaker 1: Railroads uh not near, There, Nope, no not THAT i can.
Speaker 3: Remember, man you are not checking any of the. Boxes i'm.
Speaker 1: Not i'm, Sorry, MAN i WISH i.
Speaker 3: Was, No, no this is the kind of STUFF i, like this. Is this is something, new. MAN i just WISH i had some. Answers just the fact.
Speaker 2: That you're willing to listen and just maybe he'll broadcast it out there and see if anyone else has more. Experience like that's, cool, MAN i really appreciate, That like this is it's not eating away at my, brain but it comes up from time to time And i'm, LIKE i, wonder, yeah.
Speaker 1: If anyone else has noticed.
Speaker 2: That and SO i appreciate you just listening and maybe you know the platform to share. That that's totally. Cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah of, course speaking of, which you did send me some interesting.
Speaker 2: Photos, yeah we can talk about that if you. Want.
Speaker 3: Yeah so you were listening to a guest on an.
Speaker 2: Episode, yeah, yes, YEAH i. WAS i.
Speaker 1: WAS i heard an. ENCOUNTER i am so fascinated with the Big foot.
Speaker 2: Topic it's just a fun, topic you know for me AND i don't have any answers to, anything BUT i heard this particular, encounter witness his experience and kind of what he was, doing AND i kind of reconstructed where he was. Talking he said some clues in his, interview AND i was, like that sounds, familiar AND i slowly pieced it, together and In april of twenty twenty, FOUR i was driving back to my. HOMETOWN i live in The memphis area, now BUT i was driving home Towards, Fulton, illinois WHERE i grew.
Speaker 1: Up my mom was having surgery at a local.
Speaker 2: University she had a brain tumor and is doing well, now but she was going to go through, that and SO i was just driving home to be there to support her and my dad as that. Happened AND i had a little downtime AND i REALIZED i was going right by this, place and so it was really a very short detour on the way up to see my, parents and SO i.
Speaker 1: Was by, myself and SO i was, like let me go check this place. Out and so it was in Southeast, missouri north Of Cape.
Speaker 2: GIRARDO i pieced it together and found This it's The Apple Creek conservancy, there AND i was, LIKE i could get that, far AND i started walking around AND i found this trail AND i just walked up it like hiking up. It it was Not it's not a trail like game trail or hiking trail per. Se it was a little bit of a utility. Trail they were putting in power. Poles AND i followed it for about a mile and ran across maybe maybe some, footprints and that's WHAT i sent you some tracks. There they were not the greatest, quality to be. HONEST i stopped on the way there and then on the way back from over a few days and it had rained and kind of washed it. OUT i didn't even think about taking pictures WHEN i the first, time BUT i saw them and they to, me they looked clearer than the pictures THAT i, got you, know a couple of days. Prior BUT i should have coulda. Would so on the way, BACK i was, LIKE i should really stop and take a. Picture so after thinking about, IT i. Stopped put my driver's license next to the. IMPRESSIONS i guess probably better to call it an impression than a, TRACK i suppose for size, Comparison AND i took three pictures AND i sent them to you again admittedly they're they're not great. Quality, man if you look IN i feel, like if you squit really, hard maybe you can make out some. Toes but it was really weird WHERE i followed this, Track, LIKE i don't think people go up. There it was behind a gun. Range it was probably risky to do. That no one was shooting that, day, thankfully but, like who would walk up behind a gun?
Speaker 1: Range you know? Otherwise and you.
Speaker 2: Know and THEN i found these tracks right on the right in this little, opening and that's WHAT i took the pictures. OF i never did the calculation for however big the driver's.
Speaker 1: License, is to compare to the.
Speaker 2: TRACK i don't know WHY i didn't do, That but IF i had to, GUESS i don't, know thirteen fourteen inches MAYBE i.
Speaker 1: Don't what do you think or have you that you've seen it?
Speaker 3: Yet, YEAH i was going to say probably between twelve and fifteen.
Speaker 2: Inches, yeah that sounds very. REASONABLE i remember putting my boot next to. It i'm around at twelve and a half or, thirteen and it was wider than my boot and a little bit.
Speaker 1: Bigger so that's kind of WHERE i was just.
Speaker 2: Guessing and AGAIN i don't, KNOW i hate to, say, yes these are what they, are BUT i wanted to pass them along and see what your thoughts would. BE i, mean you've probably seen clearly way more THAN i ever dreamed of, seeing and it was kind of cool THAT i could kind of reconstruct it and kind of go to that area and just kind of EITHER i got lucky Or I'm i'm fooling myself into thinking it's something, not you know WHAT i.
Speaker 3: Mean, WELL i mean they're the right, shape and they're in a good, location and you, know one end of the track is rounded like a hill and the other one is kind of jagged like. Toes they're pressed down into the. Ground your feet were not pressing down into the, GROUND i would assume not like.
Speaker 1: That it wasn't definitely.
Speaker 3: NOT i, mean it's they're very, defined which to me tells me that there's some weight behind. Them you, know usually our own tracks on you, know just regular ground surface that you don't leave like a solid impression like. That sometimes you can if the ground's wet enough and soft enough in the right, substrate with you, know a hard sold shoe or, whatever because of the you, know the density of the sole of the. Shoe but a barefoot doesn't leave a clear impression like that unless you've got some serious weight behind. It they were definitely too wide to be a human, foot even if there was some sort of you, know you're six or, four so maybe there was like a seven foot tall guy with giant feet walking around barefoot out behind the gun. Range, yeah it.
Speaker 2: Doesn't sound very likely where this. WAS i, mean it was it was, rocky and that was the other. THING i was, like, barefoot is it? Possible you're right gun? Range? Uphill you're basically walking on partly up there on like, gravel, right and like who would walk up? There and on my way up there actually saw a pretty big Snake And i'm, like who would be walking around up your barefoot in gravel behind a gun range clearly in snake? Territory LIKE i don't.
Speaker 3: KNOW i just know you you would be doing all.
Speaker 1: That, yeah, yeah, Yeah i'm not that courageous. Man i'm a big whimp when it.
Speaker 3: Comes to that. Stuff and the best thing, is like you found the location based on a, witness.
Speaker 1: You, know, yeah pieced it.
Speaker 2: Together and ACTUALLY i tracked him down and we had an exchange over email, too just and he was, like, yeah we usually don't check that, area he, Was they go somewhere else on that that, Proper i'll, say the, property but like that state, land they don't really go up.
Speaker 1: There SO i thought that was cool one and whatnot from?
Speaker 2: There so, yeah, Man so as far AS i, know those are the the fog and these potential questionable bigfoot tracks or the weirdest things THAT i know of That i've experienced in the.
Speaker 3: Woods, WELL i appreciate you coming on here and talking about it and sharing those, experiences and hopefully somebody out there listening can shed a little light on the blinking fog and we'll reach out And i'll connect.
Speaker 2: You that'd be. Awesome. Man, hey if you if you got, time COULD i ask you one other question or discuss something? Quick is that? Cool?
Speaker 3: Yeah of, course.
Speaker 2: So. HOPFU i won't give my entire WHO i am, away But i'm an eye doctor by, training and so the eyes intrigued me.
Speaker 1: Greatly i'll say.
Speaker 2: That and my understanding, is and please correct me If i'm, wrong that there are many who believe That bigfoot can see. Infrared, yes, yes that is a fair.
Speaker 3: Statement there are a large number of people that Believe bigfoot can see into the infrared.
Speaker 1: Spectrum that's pretty.
Speaker 2: Wild SO i may not be the best, SUBJECT i, mean But i'll share WHAT i know and WHAT i, think knowing that it's just a.
Speaker 1: Theory how about.
Speaker 2: THAT i don't want to like stand on, it you, know But i've been wondering for a. While so to my. Job the background here Is i've Mentioned i'm an eye, doctor but part of my background IS i do some of our clinical what we call. Electrophysiology it's where we flash lights into people's eyes and we watch or we measure the signal that is produced due to different strengths and or sometimes even colors of. Light if that does that track so? Far?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah and SO i know that with that particular test we can set the stage to kind of tease apart the photoreceptors in the back of the eye of the, retina, right and so there's two main. Photoreceptors we have rods and. Combes and forgive me.
Speaker 2: If i'm insulting your, Intelligence i'm just being very clear, here.
Speaker 3: A third grade, level.
Speaker 2: Fair, enough. Man so with, rods they're very very sensitive at detecting small amounts of, light just like that's kind of what we see in dim light, conditions but they're not good at discriminating. Color it's basically saying yes or, no there's a light, there, right just a little. Bit so that's what we use predominantly in low light conditions or darkner. Conditions, well on the other end of the, spectrum we have cones of the second type of, photoreceptors and generally with the, cones we have three types of cones and normal, individuals we have a cone that's sensitive to, red so it's hees red. Better you have a cone that sees better with, green so it sees green. Better and then we have a third one. Blue so with our, eyes by combining different amounts of, red, green and, blue that's where we see all of these colors from all around, us if that makes, sense, Right and.
Speaker 1: We only see a small.
Speaker 2: Sliver of the electromagnetic radiation that's actually going on around, us so we call it the visible. Spectrum it's based upon wavelength of, light because all electromenetic radiation is a, wavelength, right and so it's around four hundred to seven hundred if we really want to mensure, IT i think it's like three hundred and eighty nanimeters to maybe seven hundred and fifty nanometers and the higher, end the seven to fifty, end is kind of where red and infrared kind of are near each, other especially get up in the eight hundreds and above that for a little. Bit so, anyway the REASON i set the stage there is it got me thinking that if the, infrared if they can see, infrared that kind of makes, sense whether if they're walking around in the. Dark it makes me wonder if if we're able to compare retinas to what we know about, humans which is which is a leap, admittedly but just like as a starting, point we generally have about one hundred and twenty million rods in our, eyes and we have six to seven million cones in our eyes as, Well and it makes me, wonder are there different types of, photoreceptors or different ratios or maybe different spreading out of the photoreceptors in the back of the eyes that make them likely to see the? Infrared if that makes. Sense SO i guess What i'm posing, is is there really an anatomical thing that if we were to get our hands on a bigfoot, retina you, know or, whatever could we predict that they would have different types of cones or rods that were compared or that we would see in, HUMANS i guess What i'm. Saying and on top of, that IF i were to take a, Leap now this is a. Theory. MAN i almost sound silly bringing this, out But i've just thought about, it And i'm just posing the. Question, right if humans can only see up to say seven hundred or seven, fifty if you go a little bit above that in the red spectrum that's where the infrared comes. In what if they have more red cones than green or blue and they're just slightly more sensitive to that spectrum of. Color if they have more and they're more, sensitive and at the expense of downgrading the green and blue and the, rods they might be color, deficient, right because you need three cones in order to see detect color how we see it as, humans, Right and that's definitely been shown in, humans, right as far as color deficiency more common in men than women and things like. That and so the REASON i wonder if that's important is and this is where AGAIN i almost seem stupid saying.
Speaker 1: This i'm just posing, it.
Speaker 3: Right you don't sound. Stupid if you sound, stupid THEN i sound stupid because this is something THAT i have rattled around in my head for. Decades, OH i got good at one point in. TIME i went down the eyesight rabbit hole and learned all of this information that you're talking about right, now AND i think we ended up at the same, place which means a lot to me since you're an.
Speaker 2: Id, well that's pretty cool man that. YOU i, mean you beat me to, it. Obviously but so here's the next step beyond. That if if they are color, deficient AND i don't know how we could do, this but if certain cameras you could play with the wavelength of, light could we find one that they can't see and get better luck at detecting? Them does that make sense using like a variation instead of the one standard infrared for the trigger that they clearly at least from WHAT i, Gather and you tell me If i'm. Wrong they seem to see, that or that's the theory that they see. It So i'm always, wondered if we change that wavelength a little, bit is it possible that we could hide in plain sight AND i have them not see. It so, anyway that's my. Theory SO i went from background to maybe color, blind and then the next step would, be could we design a camera to test that theory and see where it?
Speaker 1: Goes so, anyway man just nerd?
Speaker 3: Out There, no, NO i like nerding. Out so let me see if we ended up at the same, place WHICH i think we. Did so WHENEVER i was looking at all, this see this is the, PROBLEM i get. Sidetracked SO i reached. OUT i looked up the person that seemed to be the leading authority on mammalian, eyesight specifically primate eyesight in The United. States he was a professor at a. UNIVERSITY i don't remember specifically his name or the. University it's been a really long. TIME i emailed the guy through the UNIVERSITY i, did AND i just took a leap of faith AND i, Said, hey this is WHO i. Am you, know humor. Me if these things, exist and if they are a, primate would they be able to see in the infrared? Spectrum and his response was an explanation of how there's no primates that we're aware of that can do. That there's you, know certain animals with specialized sensory organs like, snakes you, know pit vipers and things like that that can sense infrared or. Whatever but he went further to explain that The sun produces a tremendous amount of infrared and that if something had the ability to see, infrared it would pretty much be blinded during daylight hours because of all the infrared that's produced by The. Sun it would be way brighter to it than it is to. Us so that would be my question to you first is if something did have the ability to see in, infrared would that be the? Case would it just be blinded all the time by all the infrared that's around that we can't normally. See, man that's a great. Question i've not thought it through that. Far IF i had to, guess and this is.
Speaker 2: Me, layman, LIKE i may change my mind IF i do some digging and maybe talk more about. It, Right but IF i had to guess there is a ton of visible light coming from The sun that we do, see why would that be different than?
Speaker 1: INFRARED i don't.
Speaker 2: Understand the infrared is more heat and it's, wavelength, Right it's just, wavelength and so we're in the Same we're not even like that crazy high beyond some of the visible light as far as the wavelengths and all. That So i'm, like, well wouldn't they be blind with any of the other light coming off the, Sun like there is an incredible, amount don't get me, wrong but there's ALSO uv A uv B ubc visible, spectrum and then some of the. Infrared LIKE i don't, KNOW i GUESS i would For i've never looked in an infrared camera just as a rough jumping off point in the, Daylight, like is everything just like washed?
Speaker 1: OUT i would, assume Like i've never spent much.
Speaker 2: Time, yeah so maybe that's what he's.
Speaker 3: Inferencing, yeah like back in the day using like night, vision if you turn it on in like daylight or light, situations it just it ruins. It it actually broke the, device so it flooded The, yeah it flooded the receptors or. Whatever BUT i mean, again we're talking about, Wavelength so the infrared coming off the sun could be a much greater wavelength or you know What i'm saying completely AND i follow higher wavelength than what they would be able to.
Speaker 2: See. Yeah maybe now when you when your when your camera, broke were you looking at the sun with it or were you just looking at the environment and it.
Speaker 3: Broke, no it was just an in general thing like you you couldn't have them like, you like you never wanted to turn your night vision on in like a room that had the light, on because it would just break it it was too much light coming.
Speaker 2: In Because i'm not an expert, there SO i don't want to leave anyone, astray but it's just it's a.
Speaker 3: Guess, well and you're way more educated on the subject THAN i. Am but my so to go on what you were talking about and my own, research the CONCLUSION i reached was that there was a possibility that they would have a higher number of rods than what we would. Have and if the cones were a different, ratio like you're, saying where they could see in the, infrared and that most likely meant that they would be more color deficient in the blue spectrum.
Speaker 2: Potentially, yeah the if you so of the cones the, red, green and, blue let's say, it the red and green will. Dominate and yes there's blue in, there there's just not as, many if that makes. Sense and so when you combine the red and, green you get as far as maximal, sensitivity you get tennis ball. Yellow that's why tennis balls are. Yellow that's where our eyes have their highest, coloring, right there they overlap right at that tennis ball yellow and then so, yeah potentially it just it depends on how the ratio would. Go if it leans more towards red and there's less green or blue than those spectral curves can shift a little.
Speaker 1: Bit and, yeah they.
Speaker 2: Might have a harder time with blue as an. Example so then i'd, go, well can you develop a camera with like blue or start with?
Speaker 1: Green you?
Speaker 2: Know in? Humans again we don't, know but in humans the most common color defficiency is either red or, Green and so, yeah LOGICALLY i might play around with the red or green spectrum BEFORE i did the, blue just to kind of see if we could find like a wavelength that might be less detectable or something like. That and it's funny you brought up the, rods because the rods can't detect. Color so if there were less less cones and way more, rods they'd be very sensitive for like walking around at night and things like. That but absolutely THEN i would think their color vision would decrease significantly if a lot of that was shifted one way or the. Other, now, again these are my. THEORIES i don't want to claim to be an. Expert it's just little Things i've thought about AND i just wanted to bounce them off of you and see what your thoughts. Were and sounds like we're kind of thinking similar. Things that's really cool that you reached out to like a vision expert like. That i'm not familiar with that ONE i. Do this person does not know, me BUT i know of. Them there's One university Of houston that does some comparative. ANATOMY i understand it with retinas of you, know apes and things like. That and so IF i could and maybe that would be something that'd be awesome if you could interview her or something like, that, yeah and agree to. It so AGAIN i don't know, her but but, anyway that would be kind of. Cool that was one anyway those on my other questions was, like have you ever interviewed someone that like an ocular comparative anatomy? Professor you know that sort of, Thing and clearly you have based upon what you've.
Speaker 3: Said SO i emailed one.
Speaker 2: Once that's.
Speaker 3: OKAY i would love to find one that's interested in the subject and is open minded to it to talk to about all this. Stuff another thing that fascinates me THAT i have a hard time understanding from a logical standpoint is the report worts of eye, glow where witnesses are reporting eyes producing their own, light that it's definitely not a reflection from a tape tom, lucidum that it's actually producing a glowing usually a red. Color and for, ME i just how would, that even even if the science was, there even if the chemistry was there where there's some sort of you, know bioluminescence thing, happening why would it be in the. Eyes that seems counterproductive to.
Speaker 2: Me, YEAH i, mean if you're having your own light produced, inside so the goal of the eyes is to catch light from the, environment not really send it back out, Right AND i mean it's been a long time Since i've looked at that particular part of, it BUT i feel like that would make your vision. Worse like that would be the worst thing you could do for, vision because if you're projecting light, out then the light it's going to bleach the light getting in that you would use to.
Speaker 1: See so, so.
Speaker 2: And IF i understand it, right the tap of them lucidam is not found in, apes not found in. Mammals not, Mammals, Sorry i'm, sorry not. MAMMALS i meant apes, sorry.
Speaker 3: One PRIMATE i think that has it that's nocturnal entirely and it's you, know, Nothing it's not like an, ape it's a something entirely, different.
Speaker 2: Gotcha SO i, mean SO i don't know the tap of the lucidam. Thing MAYBE i, mean if it's found in other nocturnal, animals and then maybe that would be something to think.
Speaker 1: About, AGAIN i would just be.
Speaker 2: Guessing BUT i do know that if you're part here's WHAT i THINK i shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Say, no here's my theory on.
Speaker 2: This if their eyes are as big as what people witnesses report that have seen, THEM i mean they describe ginormous, eyes like huge, Ones so then their pupils would be way bigger than what we would have right in.
Speaker 1: The same type of.
Speaker 2: Illumination and if they're seeing them at, night obviously the pupils are going to be ginormous compared to. Normal and the back of the eye there is a layer called the, choroid which is like a big bloody, sponge and its job is to bring nutrients to the, eye flush it, out keep the temperature down so we don't burnt holes in our. Eyes and the choroid has depending on how you measure it either is one or two in the highest blood flow in the entire body per unit, Volume so it's depending on how you. Measure it goes back and forth between the coid and the, kidneys if, that you. Know and So i'm going there's a high amount of blood. Flow is the reddish color just from the pupils being huge in the in the dark and it's reflecting the ambient light even though it's super. Dark it doesn't mean that there's not just a little bit. There, SPECIFICALLY i don't infrared absorbs infrared and then you get kind of a reddish glow coming back. Out could that be? It you know WHAT i?
Speaker 1: Mean or like the red eyes on cameras and things like.
Speaker 3: That, YEAH i mean that was another thing THAT i thought about was if there is some sort of reflective membrane that they have to help them in their night. Vision is it potentially possible that with the larger eyes and the larger, pupils like you're, saying taking in more, light that it maybe bounces around to magnify the amount of, light so it spends more time in the eye processing the, light and because of, this it changes the wavelength and produces a red.
Speaker 2: Light, yeah we have cameras that we shine into people's eyes and we selectively let wavelengths come out to give us different information about the.
Speaker 1: Back so, like for, example we could.
Speaker 2: Shine in, uh you, KNOW i would WHAT i guess like a like a like a bluish light into the back of the eyes and then we can get like a greenish color. Out so it's not out of the realm of possibility that you shine one wavelength in and it gets absorbed or changed comes out.
Speaker 1: Slightly, different if that makes.
Speaker 2: Sense we do that for florescian angiographies and like just it's a oh electronic like excitation and uh fluorescence and things like. That so there's different ways to do. That, man IF i have any of my colleagues out there that they might just like. Rip these are all theories And i'm just having, fun like nerd and, Out so please don't take WHAT i say as. Gospel they're just ideas based upon what i've you, know What i've learned and WHAT i do and just a jumping off point AND i am open to any criticism or anything like. That it's just fun to think, about, Right and sometimes this converse stimulate other ideas and like, huh or maybe someone comes out and corrects, me or maybe they're, like, no maybe that is. True and then you, know we just having the dialogue to be, like, hey what if or what? About this opens up so many. DOORS i don't know if you agree with, that but it's been helpful.
Speaker 3: For, me, absolutely AND i appreciate. IT i appreciate you taking the time to throw this stuff out there and talk about. IT i, MEAN i enjoy. IT i know the listeners enjoy hearing that sort of, thing at least some of. Them and you, know you got me thinking about THINGS i haven't thought about in a long. Time, awesome, man.
Speaker 2: Awesome, WELL i can't thank you enough for just letting, me you, know babble on and share my. Experience. MATT i really appreciate. IT i really really. Do thank you for taking the time to just hang out for a little.
Speaker 3: While, oh no. PROBLEM i appreciate you coming on and taking the leap of, faith and hopefully it will open some new.
Speaker 1: Doors that'd be pretty.
Speaker 2: Awesome that'd be pretty.
Speaker 3: Awesome if you've had your own encounter with bigfoot or blinking fog or something else you can't, explain you'd like to share your story on The Bigfoot crossroads, podcast email me At Bigfoot crossroads at gmail dot. Com check out the Website bigfootcrossroads dot. Com you can find links to social, media past, episodes, merchandise everything you need all in one. Place and until next, time, remember just LIKE i, said there's something in the. Woods