Speaker 1: This conversation is not just about laughs, although Miya one on from No I was laughing ninety percent at the time, but it's also to reflect on perseverance, identity, legacy, and the quiet power of knowing you are not alone in your struggle or your healing. This episode is both hilarious and introspective, with the overall message being, as we say in Jamaica, what is for? You can be on fel If you're listening to the podcast on Apple Podcast, please remember to rate and leave a comment below. Also, don't forget to follow us on Instagram at Let's Talk the Things Now. Grab your tea, coffee, or a glass of wine and let's talk the things. Hello everyone, Welcome back to another episode of Let's Talk the Things. I'm your host, Ash and this week we are talking to things with comedian Owen Hi Owen. How are you?
Speaker 2: How are you doing? Hi to why?
Speaker 1: Please, I'm don't starry. Please to use your real voice? How are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm I'm trying to use.
Speaker 1: No, we have to come again.
Speaker 2: This is how I talk like y'all not might believe me. I swear, I promise this is my real voice. All right, bombs If we can't do it again, alight. That is not gonna get no different.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh my gosh, I don't know how I'm gonna manage this. Okay, re Hi, Owen, how are you I'm doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing magnificent, my yo. Hold on, let me tell you a quick story for recording. Right when I moved to Orlando, I'm second generation. People don't notice I'm second Wait.
Speaker 1: But oh when you start already you can't start yet. We're gonna talk about that, oh you Okay? For you and those of you that are listening that are first time listeners, we begin each episode with our listener's favorite segment, and it's called that a soon safe And so basically what it is is, I'm gonna read messages or social media posts that listener is sent in and Owen, if you think it sounds crazy or a little concerning, you'd say that notes sounds safe and explain why. And if you agree, then you say you agree and explain why. Sounds good?
Speaker 2: Okay, no problem, no problem.
Speaker 1: All right. So the first one, if only people understood the importance of being consistent. Everything that has value, everything that has value in life is a product of consistency. Success health, fitness, wealth, friendships, relationships, and all other aspirations are all about consistency.
Speaker 2: Now, let me thinking about that. That sounds extremely safe. Okay, that sounds comforting. Okay, and that is true. Thing that sounds safe. Bobby, whoever wrote this post, let me let me coggle you. I want to coggle you. I want to be in your your comfort.
Speaker 1: You to tell us why you think?
Speaker 2: All right, all right? Why I think it sounds safe? Because, like, consistency is the key. Like if you watch TV and you be like, how did this person? He's not that funny? How did he get to here and there? It is because of consistency. Right, hard work beats talent. Right, you could be the most talented, but if you have the hard work and you have the vision, guess who's gonna win. Hard work I come from. I come from an era like I'm living in Florida. It's so many guys that play sports, right, and I'm seeing these guys that have the talent not succeed. And I used to ask to myself, I'm like, yo, oh, this is my friend such and such. I don't want to call no names, right, And I used to ask myself, I'm like why are they not there prospering prospering? It is because of the consistency. Right, So BOMs, now you know all right, you say you need grades and you know it, you need to fit the things. You're not doing that thing. You just playing ball right right, But there's somebody else that's playing ball, also taking care of the grades, and you don't have it. And he's doing what he's staying what consistent? You can knock it. You are better than him, but he's being consistent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so consistency, that's true. And I think you're right. There's so many talented people. I just think even us being you know, of Caribbean descent, there's so much talent in all of our countries, right, but clearly everybody does it make it. There's not a million Rihannas or Shansias, you know what I mean. And so a lot of it is hard work, a lot of it is perseverance, a lot of it is patience. But you're right, hard work is going to be talent every time. And I think that this generation that's so used to having things handed to them sometimes don't understand that.
Speaker 2: You know that our understand the geography, like what you got to do to make yourself present and yeah, you know, like you got to think outside the box. Okay, I'm a I'm a Caribbean content creator, right, that's cool, Like, how can you use your Caribbean content to touch the masses? Now you have to have to think and it don't have to be much, right mm hmmm. So it's like, okay, if you feel like if you feel like, yo, miss stuck, I'm stuck doing Caribbean comedy or I'm stuck doing Jamaican comedy, like you need to if you're a creator, you need to able to create to touch the masses. You will find a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that. That sound safe for sure? All right. The next one, the person said, I show up to the airport two to three hours early because you guys are not gonna have me running through the airport like the McAllister is on home alone.
Speaker 2: That is funny, and that is safe to the airport to untree alls early. I'm gonna can't do what we need for these I rebuke it in Hallelujah. I rebuke in them jus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like we we all know growing up, we used to get especially if you were alive in the nineties. So those of you that are younger, maybe not so much.
Speaker 2: Speaking to.
Speaker 1: Our parents had us at the airport like four hours early for no holy reason.
Speaker 2: Holy goals.
Speaker 3: Yo.
Speaker 2: My uncle Alfred, My uncle Alfred, he was going to law, he was going to la He called me. He said, oh, and you're up. I'm like up. But your your flight says it leaves at twelve o'clock noon. My uncle, I promise you, my uncle for twelve o'clock noon. He was there seven am. He well, may I try, may I try Philip philical food. There's nothing open my Virgin McDonald's. You feel me. There's nothing open my Burgin.
Speaker 1: But you know what my point is, even though that may be a little extreme, I think they were onto something by just getting there early so you can relax, like you're not, like the person said, running through the airport panicking, panicking.
Speaker 2: But that's so, that's so true, because on my last trip I did that, and everything wants good.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I guess, yeah, maybe not four hours early, but maybe you know two hours or and a half. That's on safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one that's safe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, next one, the person said, if you really want to make him mad, stare at his haircut and say they must have been rushing.
Speaker 2: That not see if that not see if may I tell her right now that not saf that not self atal, my girl, hold on that not sef.
Speaker 4: Ash that's wickedness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but maybe.
Speaker 2: Imagine no imagine no imagine missed can so much time from the earline. I'm gonna come to you. You know some of my hairline is missing. I fill it in. I fill it in. I know how you feel like hold on you know how you feel about your edges, yes, and lace front and them things? When I got.
Speaker 1: You feeling it?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, yes, eating you you're giving your eating or whatever I want to say. But some booms, no supports me come from a gym. No, I'm here like musclet. I'm not muscle up, but feeling good. Right yeah, some said no. I said to my booms, get trim. No right boom boom, I'm trying to cover the spots and you fifty se my haircut is not worthy. It's not safe. My good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is a act. I can't like that one.
Speaker 2: Not safe. It's like it's like me telling you me like you coming in with the hairstyle. You feel me, and I'm like, oh, you got the side park. But no, no, I'm like not really feeling the side park. I'm not feeling your lace front. Your lace front is not at the front. You feel me. It's a couple of steps back my wild Yeah something aline is me on your boat noor something. You're like, it's diminish, diminishing.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, so it's a sensitive topic.
Speaker 2: It's sensitive.
Speaker 1: It's sensitive, Okay.
Speaker 2: Especially when on the right corner of my hair right now, it's going through some things. But and then.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to, you know, trying to catch it back up.
Speaker 2: Don't do me like that.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: You can take that in give me that. I want to talk to a personally like.
Speaker 1: No, I will keep their identity confidential.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Next one, the person said, people will call you boring for not wanting to fill every second of the vacation with activities. Well, guess what action, Jackson, I'm taking a nap. Listen, action Jackson is crazy.
Speaker 2: Action Jackson is for real. Like, I one hundred percent agree with this person, Like, listen to me, taking a good nap on a vacation is everything. Like when I go on vacations, I work. I work, right, my vacation when I start my vacation is after I literally get off work, so Booms said, my vacation, Yeah, my vacation is the twelfth, the eleventh. I'm getting off on the eleventh. Right, I have to maybe drive somewhere to get into the facilities, right for the twelfth, right, so Booms. No, when they get pund the bull, I me get punic plan Mick tired Billby. Let me take me look, let me take my local nap. All right, I understand your I understand you want to zip line syst we just we are called.
Speaker 1: But what if it's not even like a vacation. What if it's like your friends some some friends you want to have like everything planned out.
Speaker 2: They are the worst, They are the worst.
Speaker 1: You have to know who you're I think the point of this you have to know who you're traveling, because if you want to have an itinerary, then travel with those kind of friends. If you want to relax, travel with the relaxing friends.
Speaker 2: Otherwise work all right, so Booms thone, you have relaxed friends, and them a kid can merge like, right, I have a relaxed friend. Right, And this is my bro and I'm going to say, I'm going to say his name, Anthony Bush. I'm going to say his whole name so I can get him mad.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, Hi Anthony.
Speaker 2: We went on a cruise. Right when we get on the cruise and like, Budge, where are going to do? Listen, just trying to catch your sleep. So it's like sometimes your friends be like tired.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the more love the story. Let your friends relax.
Speaker 2: Miss Field said.
Speaker 1: Midfield said, yeah, okay, that's so safe.
Speaker 2: Give me our number so we can't both, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: The next one, Jamaicans don't believe in zodiac then proceed to say so January people stay.
Speaker 2: So that is so true, and it's so true they don't believe in zodiac. But my mother is a Capricorn, right, and she was like a Capricorn. But as soon as like maya zodiac the blood of Jesus, like what are you doing? What are you doing? You feel me? What are you doing? So long story short, Jamaican people try to believe, and I try to say they don't believe in zodiac.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I one hundred percent agree. All right, last one in this segment just because you can help does not mean you're assigned to help preserve your energy.
Speaker 2: I agree with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And I think that's a big thing in our community, right, Like we grow up where we see our parents and grandparents like helping persons in the community or in the family, and so you think like, oh, you know, that's what I'm supposed to do. But you've also seen your grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, parents, whoever help someone to their detriment, you know what I mean, like where the person should really be helping themselves. But because that's kind of how we grow up, you overextend yourself and then you're left depleted, so you kind of have to balance, you know, like you can't pour from an empty cop is what I'm trying to say, Like, yeah, to help people with your.
Speaker 2: Overflow, that's some that's some real stuff you feel, yea, And sometimes and sometimes in our culture and our state of mind, especially if you have family abroad, right, you put you put your feelings, your emotion, your hard work, right, you put it second to the people that I'm doing A.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very true, so very really you.
Speaker 2: Put it aside and then you put them in front, right, And it's so much going on and and not it might not turn out the way you want it to turn out. So like, so, as a Caribbean person, you need to protect yourself first, protect your feelings first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your mental health.
Speaker 2: Your mental health. I've seen I've seen my mother like, right, in the lack of better words for the young people who's listening, I've seen my mom's crash out on some stuff that she didn't need to crash out on, and it's because it's her loyalty to Hey, if you make it, you need to come back and.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, oh god, yeah.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: That's the I think it's it's such a delicate balance, right because since we grow up where family is such a core of who we are, you do feel obligated to help your family out when you have it right, exactly, there's like a fine line between the family that appreciates the help and the family that, like you said in your analogy, looks at you as like, oh, well, your cup is overflowing, so I can just kick up my feet and just take from your cup. Even though you're working so hard, you're swating, you're doing all these things, but they just look at the output. They just see the output They don't see the blood, sweat and tears that goes into like even what you do, you know, and they might think, oh, well, you can afford to do this because you got a new car or you got new shoes, not thinking you worked really hard to get those things for yourself each you know. So I think it's a really delicate balance because on one hand, no, you don't want to leave your family behind, but how many persons that we know in the generations before us aren't where they could have been because they were lifting up everybody else. Imagine you're climbing up a mountain and you can't make it to the top because you have seventy people on your back. That's what it's like preach.
Speaker 2: The craziest thing for us in our generation. It's saying no. No is of its stating for me like.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, don't don't luck now because like you, but no, my.
Speaker 2: Strong my mind, Like yo, when I have a cousin like you feel me are a friend because I'm second generation. Right, I lived in Jamaica for two years, right, so I developed. I developed a lot of friends. And sometimes they hit me and I'll be like and I work, I work, Yeah, ash I work, work with. So when they say something that like hey, and like I have to say no, it's it hurts you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're saying. For those listening, you're saying like when they ask you for a ting, like to help them.
Speaker 2: Out, ask me for a ting to them out right, So when I say no, that's not all right yo, gud. But like I want them to understand where I'm coming from, right, I have a daughter. My daughter is fourteen, right, yes, she talked, well, she want to go. I don'ee them, then them, and I want her to yeah, experience everything, so for certain yeah them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, responsibilities, responsibility.
Speaker 2: So when a friend come and be like yo, I feel bad, even to this day. It used to be different when I was a little bit younger, when I was sexy on I'm growing on when they chocolate, I wanted to spread I want to spread that out right, But it's different like right now when somebody asked me like hey, like I'm like, yo, I got responsibilities, but it's still hurt. It still hurts.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's because you're not a mean spirited person, so it's going to I'm not bad, but you have to do it. You want to protect yourself and also you know the fact that you have a daughter.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was.
Speaker 1: Fun and little ice breaker it's a laughter, you know. No, we're going to talk the real things.
Speaker 2: So I.
Speaker 1: Want to talk about your roots. And you started talking about this a little bit. But we know you're Jamaica, But can you tell us a little bit more like where you grew up?
Speaker 2: And all right, I'm gonna tell you the whole story.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, man.
Speaker 2: So my mother, right, my mother and the family came here from Jamaica in seventy seven. Right, my grandfather used to do sugar cane. We have we in Spanish Town. We had a shot. But you know all the shop people them them, I forgot to for Booms get their products. No, my grandfather had the trucks coming straight to his ting right, and my grandfather was the first person to get electricity in Spanish Town and toy Spen in toy Spend, let me make that not Spanish town. And so booms know how my grandfather got my grandmother. It's crazy because she tells me this before she died. Right, this what made her say, Booms, let me let me give you my try. He said, Wait, he rolled up on her he said yo, and said William saying to those I give, but to you, I give the leaf some.
Speaker 4: Crazy I give the so long story shark, I look alone and that Spanish tone both ten and that that was it.
Speaker 2: Some people I was born in America. I was born in Newark, New Jersey. Some people, yes, some people feel like I'm Jamaican and Jamaican but I'm second generation. But m hmm, I have American girlfriend. Right when she put on Isley Brothers and all these other type of things, I cannot resonate. I don't know. I don't know Isley Brothers. I don't know Marvin Gay. I do know them, but like growing up as a kid, right, my Isley Brothers was bearist.
Speaker 1: I know you're going to say uncle Berr's.
Speaker 2: First BIS Dennis Brown, not nurse them, Isaac, what you know, the ting them like when it was like, oh my struggle meal is oodle than noodles. You know, it's my struggle, Billert, Beefine, Rice, Dusty Young, so you can you feel me? And it was it was so crazy. This is how I know. I was like, I'm really Jamaican. Right when my mom moved from New Jersey. Then we moved to Miami. Right, okay, so my my English because I speak Pato, was a little bit off, right, So you know what they did. They put me in the class with the Haitians and the Mexicans. Yeah. So when I get in there, so they was like hey, they was like, oh, and come up to the board. My name is On. I'm like, ma'am, I know how to say this. There was like they own, come to the board, my name is On. I was like, yeah, my girl, my name is Owen. Me. I tried for tylor isn't me. I know, I got this accent, but I'm I'm American, my girl. She was like oh, I said, yeah, my name is Owen. So like so that that was like a culture shop to me, you feel what I'm saying. So that's why like when certain people ask me like you're away from I'm Jamaican, bro, like I don't, like I don't know your.
Speaker 1: History like that, like that's all you know, That's.
Speaker 2: All I know. You know what browne stewed chicken panastan panastand you know, like eliss, like I know that, I don't I don't know.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a question, because that's a conversation that I often hear, and I've heard for most of my life, is that Caribbean people are the only set of people, and really particularly Jamaican's get the brunt of it. But I think it's in every Caribbean country where if you weren't born there, they tend to say, you're not really from there? What do you think?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, And that brunt is crazy because when you down in Jamaica or wherever you're from, they call your finer kinea, this fin of that. But like, really and truly, when I look over it, it's not true. Like your parents and you beer where you're from. Your parents are from there, that's where you're from. So I feel like I have strong roots. I'm Jamaican. I'm Jamaican. I tell anybody, Yeah, I'm Jamaican, and even together the traffic coffee, I'm Jamaican.
Speaker 1: So no, that makes sense, that makes perfect. So speaking of that, and you know, kind of assimilating to the American way of life, I have to talk about something that I see you do regularly and it literally brings tears to my eyes of laughter. The twanging impression of your dad owen, the stuttering, the I'm just telling you what I know all of that, Like, is that just something like genius you came up with or does that actually happen? Because it's so on point for so many people. My dad doesn't twang, but so many people in my family do, and it is so on point.
Speaker 2: So listen, it's a mixture between my mom right and my two uncles. Right. I have an uncle named Uncle Alfred. Right when he came here in seventy seven, he learned Spanish. They taught him how to speak Spanish. Right. I have an other uncle named Uncle Sam. Between all of them covered, my mom's always used to try to twang, right, so like, all right, so when my moms first got here, she had a friend at the school. Right, you know that, all right, there's a movie called the Lean On Me, Lean On Me. Yeah, So my moms went to that high school, east Side high right, crazy right, So all right, So my mom's gained a friend from there, and she told she always used to tell me this story. It was nothing but fog when she was trying to when they were trying to drive through the way right of a highway in New Jersey. So my mom was like, oh my gosh, this things so faggy. And it was like, so like you. She was like, oh, I can't see it's so faggy, right.
Speaker 1: So like, oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: That used to resonate with it. And then so when I used to play sports my mom's when I used to get in trouble, she said, we want speak to whoever. So I was like, all right, that's my coach. So she said, we you call him couch. I want to speak to the couch. This is this is real, like this is real like life stories. But what made me come up with the character is because of Uncle Sama, uncle Alfred. So it was a time I was like eight years old, right, we stopped to a Dunkin Donuts. My uncle Alfred got into it with a dude. Right, this is back in the nineties. After that happened, he on the phone with my mother. It's a yeah, I love it because that's my mom's name, pet name. My mom's name is calling. But they call love it. He said, yeah, I love it, love it, love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: About the Dunkin Doughnuts, I mean I feel I said dunkin. I thought it was duncan love about the dunkin don and I try to eat me at the dunkin doughner. So you feel me, that's where I get it from. And right, oh my gosh, my uncle Sam he's very he's very well off. Right, so he feels like because he's well off, he can say anything you want to say. So so when I do the skit like ye owe me that the chicken lay like that's that skin. So so my uncle Sam he's very much like you feel me. Like if he talked to me, he'd be like, hey man, what hey man, what you're going through in life? I'd be like, Uncle Sam, I'm going in something. He's like, hey man, you need you need to get your stuff together. Like he don't. He don't try to like soothe you. He don't try to see it be like, hey man, you need to get your stuff to get a man. I don't know, I don't know what you gotta do, but you have to do something.
Speaker 1: So it's based off of him, really, it's based.
Speaker 2: Off them, Like, yeah, if you don't do something right, you're gonna be a cockade. That's my uncle's favorite. Hey no, no, because that's because that's all you become a coked you don't do what you need to do. I signed you for the ball. Hey, I signed you for the ball again. You're not doing the ball game right because you don't know what you're doing to the ball. Again. People don't who don't know what they're doing, they become cocad.
Speaker 1: But you know what, all fun and joke aside, his heart is in the right place because when you hear the story slay no, no, all that Ti, I'm hearing the story, it's like he wants to keep you busy and occupied because the devil signs work for idle hands to do. I know you heard that saying before me, thinking if you're busy, you can get wrapped up in the ray ray and the rah rah.
Speaker 2: You know, well, let me tell your story.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It was like, listen, it was in two thousand and four, right, I'm fourteen in two thousand and four, Okay, I said Booms. Though, I said, ma, I'm trying to go to this football camp in Miami. Mind you I live in Orlando. You went from Orlando to Miami.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's like four hours.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a big deal, right, and you're going to a camp. Right. So she was like, owen, call uncle some So I said Booms, I said, uncle, someone need to go to a camp. He said, Hey man, I'm gonna tell you this right now. You can't be depending on it. I'm telling you what I know. You can't depend on people. I'm gonna give you the money, but it's not what you need to do. When when they go to the camp, get a scholarship.
Speaker 1: I'm like, he's he's talking to Its true, that's.
Speaker 2: That's not how that works.
Speaker 1: You have to be.
Speaker 2: The top of the.
Speaker 1: Top, right, I see what you're saying. They don't just have no scholarship.
Speaker 2: Yes, man, you need to get a scholarship. If you go there, I give you the money you need to go there. You need a scholarship. I'm telling you what I know. I want to come back, so he telling me. He said, so you know in Florida, you know when Dixie and stuff, you can get a job at fourteen, said I tell you what you yeah, fourteen fifteen, you can be a bagger. He said, hey man, I'm telling you what you know. When you come back, you need to get a job, because guess what, if you don't get a job, you don't work out. That's what you're gonna be. This man has been telling me that for the longest life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he it's extreme. But you know what, he's right. He's right in the sense of like you need to be occupied because and here's here's the crazy part. Right, I'm sure both of us know people that had a job, did good in school and they still did questionable things with their life. Right, So it's not guaranteed. But his heart is in the right place. It's just Caribbean people they don't know, especially men, usually they don't know how to say that in a soft waymb No, no, no, no, that's true.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: No. My uncle Sam was the same one when he was getting married, like I was feeling, you know, joyous. He came back from his his bachelor party or whatever, and it was the next day, so he keeped in the room and he said to me, you look at me, and he said no. When he came in the room, he was looking at me. He was like, I was like uncle, uncle, some I love you. Yeah, and closed the door.
Speaker 1: I'm like this and heart wow, I.
Speaker 2: Mean room like yeah, go sleep.
Speaker 1: I just he definitely loves you. It's just he probably doesn't even know how to express that, so.
Speaker 2: He he doesn't he uncomfortable. Definitely, my boy, I love you. You know you're finna be like you said, yeah, go sleep.
Speaker 1: I'm like, all right, all right, Oh my gosh. Let me ask you a question though, Even though those are based off of your family members, do you remember the first time that you made someone laugh and thought like, oh, I might be onto something with this.
Speaker 2: That's very hard because honestly, mm hmm, what you see on my Instagram is what I am in real life. So I've always since alydication, I've always been like, like, if you be around any of my family, even even during funerals, like i might cry a little bit, but I'm going to find a joke somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so your mom. Are you very close to your mom? I'm assuming so because I know you do impressions of her as well.
Speaker 2: People think my impressions of my mom is my mom. It's not.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 2: My mom have a very husky Alicia Key's voice when I be like, this high pitched voice is not her. So I tried to do my mom voice. I couldn't get it down. I tried to do my auntie voice. I couldn't get it down. But I try to do my grandmother voice. I can't get it down. But the faces I make is my grandmother demeanor, right, and other people I just try to make up. But the mother character. I did not want to do it because I couldn't resemble my mother. I didn't could I couldn't resemble my mother voice. Or I couldn't resemble my auntie voice, right, So I had to make up this. This voice is made up. That's not how they that's not how they sound. My mother voice don't sound nothing like that.
Speaker 1: My auntie, well the voice doesn't. But it is the stuff that you portray them to do. Is that comes from your mom or you? That's yes, okay, yes, in the name of Yes the blood of Jesus. Yes, Oh my gosh. And when you do the thing where like you hold out like what is what is the thing you did where you asked her, no, she volunteered you to like take something.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, that that that skip Let me tell you it's a they's say that's not even funny, Like the one time I try to go down as a teenager, right, you know, when you're a teenager, you traveling, you get the lanyard to say that you're a teenager and stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, when you travel alone.
Speaker 2: My mom had so many prescriptions and so many in the foil. I'm like, yo, what are you really doing to the point they had to check these back, like heh, bro, you got pills. She said, oh, this is blood pressures. And I'm like, ma, do you not know? Like it's unmarked, this is your I could go to jail, virgin Nah, this is I'm like, Mama, she's just look a pill. I'm like, ma, it's look of pills, but that's your pills burgon, like it's real stuff that happened. I just can't do my mom voice.
Speaker 1: So yeah, when you do those impressions of her, like like I said, holding out those the end of those words for a long period of time like most of our moms do. When you don't, you know, you can't do something that they need you to do. That's your mom, but just not her actual voice voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, got you? Okay, Yes, that's my mom, but not her actually voice. Like I wish people could know my mom's actual voice. I can't do it, like I'll be trying to. I be trying to do it.
Speaker 1: So tell me something. What has Because you are very popular on social media, like I said, I'm not really on TikTok like that, but on Instagram for sure. So two questions. With that and that popularity, what has being a creator taught you about discipline? And also what has been the most like surprising reaction to your content, whether that's just a regular person saying, oh my gosh, this touched me or this made me have a better day I was going through a hard time, or maybe like a celebrity, you know, reaching out to you something like that.
Speaker 2: What social media has taught me is that you need to be consistent and you need to be yourself. Right, Yeah, because when I first started out, I did not do Jamaican content. I started on twenty fourteen. Oh really, right, Yes, I tried to do I tried to do American content.
Speaker 1: But see you said earlier, that's not you. So that makes me.
Speaker 2: So when I tried to do because I'm American, right, so I'm trying to do like the funny American stuff, it didn't resonate. But like all my like I went to a private school with American school, everybody thought I was funny, but like, it didn't resonate. But as soon as I tap into my Caribbean stuff and intertwine, intertwine the American stuff it worked for me, So it shows me like it shows like your engagement. You need to do something engaging, but like you also need to be yourself in certain atmospheres. Right. But the way how social media works, if you're not coming from an organic place, right, you could do whatever to make you pop. There's people that do stuff that can make it them pop. But if you're coming from organic place, just be yourself and somehow it will work. Right. I'm not at the top of the list. I'm not at the bottom of the list, but I ash I could tell you from me. I look away, right, I know that this is what I'm meant to do, so I don't care how long it takes. Yeah, I'm gonna get there. Yes I'm not there, but I'm gonna go there. So that's my take on that. So what was the other question?
Speaker 1: The other question was what has been the most I guess intriguing reaction to your content. So the choices were whether that's somebody just saying, you know, I was having a really really bad day, or I just went through something and your video just brought joy to me, or a celebrity you know, reaching out to you or commenting on your video that just made you exit.
Speaker 2: I got two okay, right. There was a lady that say that said she was going to kill herself. She was about to jump off a building, jump off a building, and she seen my video and it reminded her of her mom's. It laughed her off the building. So I didn't know how to come with that. So I just like I just said a little bit, Okay, you're finding stuff like that, you feel me. She hasn't contact me since, but she was like, you're doing God's work. Right. But when she when she said that, it was like I was in a battle, like I'm not going to do this no more because it's not working. So that motivated me stop. See so one of my biggest right beside her, one of my biggest it was.
Speaker 1: Winnie, Winnie Harlow.
Speaker 2: Yes. So I don't know if you're seeing my video when I I call her, if you go on the page and I said, Booby, you look nice. You look like Alex and Milo. I feel like Alex and na Mon and Mileo and ather Night so yo. So when she's seen that, I'm like, yo, I'm doing this like because I feel like she's beautiful. I said, like, what would did Jamake. She is a just making guy, right, And when she replied to that, she was like, oh, like y'all don't take nothing serious. And I'm like yo, like that was so dope and.
Speaker 1: Like I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah. If you go on my page, please check it out. Like definitely she posted like I was at a thousand views when she reposted it was like three hundred thousand. What yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: So that was your most significant, like celebrity experience.
Speaker 2: That was my most significant celebrity because she's she's in the culture. Yeah I've had Yeah, I've had other celebrities yeah around that's not American. But that made me feel good because I'm like, she gets.
Speaker 1: Because she's Jamaica, so she really ja. Yes, that's for my significant that's beautiful. And the story before, I mean, my gosh. I think that just shows you know, that comedy isn't just funny or about laughs. You know, it's also something that heals people. I was telling you earlier before we started recording that I had uncle Oliver on here, Oliver Samuels, and we talked about that because he mentioned to me that they're you know, I'm sure there are plenty, but one story he told me were a woman came up to him and said she was going through a really hard time and you know, he just makes her laugh. And so I always say, like he provides a sense of healing that's not medicine, right, because healing is not always from medicine, you know what I mean. It can just be from being around someone, someone making you laugh. And so the fact that you were thinking of quitting and then you got that message, I think that God has a way of reminding people, you know, keep on this path, because this is why I brought you here, Like this is your purpose, you know, especially because you said it's something that you've wanted to do since you were a little child. I just feel like you're showing the world that the Caribbean experience with all its humor and nuances and authenticity. It's really worth like a conversation and worth talking about. And I think that's really.
Speaker 2: Important absolutely, because like Ash, when I was going through my time of like hey I'm going to quit, like it was so much like I'm working at Red Lobster right, my phone was off and on like when I used to do my first videos. So there's this like little prestigious little area that where the older people live and they have local money, right, so I used to jump the fence over there to get their Wi Fi. So I'm over there, like I don't got no phone service. I'm sweating and stuff. I'm in the laundry area trying to do videos. And I asked myself. I used to ask myself for like why am I doing this? Is there bigger purpose? So that's where I feel like, I'm like, yo, there's a bigger purpose. And then two years later the lady wrote me the message, so like feel like there's a bigger purpose. And when you talk about your your uncle Oliver, like he makes me feel like I have a bigger purpose, like you know, like because like I watched certain things right, and his comedies stand the test of time. No matter what he do, you feel me and I want. I want my comedy or whatever I do stand the test of time. That's why I'm a big fan of Barriss, right, yeah, test of time. So like these people will live forever, right, and I'm trying to do the same thing.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you will, you will.
Speaker 2: I hope.
Speaker 3: So because yeah, because my dad asks me for too much money, it's do something and I think, and my daughter's my daughter is fourteen, Daddy, I need my hair, my girl, please roll on like you.
Speaker 1: Have lots of expenses coming up so expensive.
Speaker 2: Then then my top, then my talk about don tell them think that my girl I used to dance in my room. What And then she she wanted to be smart like I'm like my my girl, like I used to tell her, Hey, I forget them good there you can't go. So she's getting these grades and I'm like.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so good. Yeah, no, don'ts around here? What does Mosquito?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, approach Philo dunce, but eat that. I'm wishing she I'm wishing she was both because I didn't know Jesus crises. And then you know she's trying to pick up on Jamaican lingo because she's trying to figure out the Jamaican school things. So yeah, daddy, I feel like I was in Jamaica. I could get this, this and this.
Speaker 1: You feel me she wants to go to Jamaica.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she wants subject. She wants something like, Daddy, I feel like I could get this and this subject. So I'm gonna say, yeah, you think you think so if you're feeling to if you feel to how people are freed when I'm gonna try to forget them subjects.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's not a not an easy thing. It's very nerve wrecking.
Speaker 2: It's nerve wrecking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's very like it causes a lot of anxiety. But I would equate it to like s A T's here, or like the F cat. It's the same thing, like meaning meaning the pressure.
Speaker 2: As don't bring up the F cat. You hear me? I know because my mother listeners ask the he the heath in Florida US in a whole you hear me? Yeah, my mother used to tell it like you're not going to Jamaica if you don't, if you don't pass it, I'm like mommy. Like the reading, yo, the reading comprehension was crazy, Like owen, how do you feel about the sky? You want to try for a full paragraph about the sky?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about where you're headed, right, because, like you said, this is like your dream. You want to have a legacy like Uncle Oliver, and so comedy is obviously your thing. But I'm sure you have even bigger goals in mind. So where do you see yourself taking this next? Like do you want to expand into other types of entertainment, maybe even acting, or do you plan to stay rooted in comedy.
Speaker 2: I feel like God has blessed me to be entertainer, right, So I love comedy, right. I feel like God gave me the best of both worlds. God blessed me to be a proud Jamaican, but he also blessed me to be in America. Right. So as much as me count talk, as much as me count talk, there isn't it. It's as much as I can say, Hey, Ash, you know Harvard. Wow, that's a great place. I would love acting, I would love hosting. I'm coming up with short films. So I'm not gonna. I'm not gonna just put myself in this bubble, right, because some people are just they're just gifted to do certain things. Some people are just born to do some things. I feel like I'm born to do these things. So I'm just gonna try everything. I'm gonna try everything and until it rests my soul. Amen. So so bigger things, yes, bigger things, Yes, I'm gonna. I've been taking acting classes. I've been taking yes, improve improv classes. I do. I do good with improv, acting, is you know, you gotta tighten up doing acting right, because learning acting is like learning like Denzel like and then learning that he was he was a stage actor.
Speaker 1: First he was.
Speaker 2: He's a stage actor. So I'm like, okay, you feel me? So how do I refer that to? You? Feel me? But like some of his lines and his biggest films was improv like King Congo got King Congo got none on it that wasn't on there, like that's him. Oh yeah, So like okay, so how can I be that?
Speaker 1: I have been allowing my guests to ask me one question this season because they don't get to ask anything. So is there anything you would like to ask me?
Speaker 2: Yes? Okay, So I was very intrigued when you tell me you like you did you went to Harvard? Right?
Speaker 1: Yes, I did, So I would like.
Speaker 2: To know what was your journey to Harvard In a short story.
Speaker 1: My experience at Harvard was amazing. I met some really great people. And while I was a little bit hesitant because you know, my parents grew me in a certain way where I never was brought up to think I'm better than anybody and to be pretentious. So I was concerned more of like the people That was my concern, like, are these going to be people that are going to be very you know, stand off fish and think they're better than And I do hear some people have had that experience. I did not. I had a really great experience, And I just would recommend to anybody, even if it's not Harvard, if you're interested in furthering your education or just learning more. I don't think you're ever too old to do so. For the last segment, I'm going to ask you a few rapid fire questions and you have to answer with the first thing that comes to mind.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, what.
Speaker 1: Is your favorite Jemmican food? I should have known that, Like, once it left my mouth, I'm like, I'm pretty sure it's going to be Ouxdale. But never know. What character of yours would be the most fun to hang out with in real life?
Speaker 2: My uncle dad character.
Speaker 1: Oh and why.
Speaker 2: He's just dope man, Like, listen, if you go on my page, I have a video of my uncle Sam when he was on a cruise like he's just dope.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, I love that. I love that. Okay, what's one place that if you got a million dollars that you would want to go?
Speaker 2: To so.
Speaker 1: Oh so this is like your dream vacation. This is not like a regular trip. I just got a million dollars zanza bar Ooh that's a good one. I love that.
Speaker 2: I've been dying to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never been, but it looks gorgeous. I love that. Okay. Next question, if you could bring back one childhood memory from your Jamaica and upbringing to relive, what would it.
Speaker 2: Be my first time figuring out how to run aboard?
Speaker 1: Like h.
Speaker 2: Like I was like bridging. Everybody have a local money, everybody like run a board. Yeah, ah, okay, it was. It was awesome.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I love that. Very nice Okay. And the final question, when you look back at the impact that you've made so far, what's the one thing that you want your legacy to be and how do you want people to always remember you?
Speaker 2: Wow? I feel like honestly, I haven't reached anywhere yet, but my leg see I want to be is a good person. I just want to be a good person, like my daughter. If I have more kids, anything, Yeah, when I lay my head to rest, or we have a funeral, whatever, I just want my kids. And everybody was like, you know, I own was a good person. Forget all the accolades, Like I just want to be a good person because you could be famous and them think that nasty targetings. All right, okay, you help so many people be this and that, but aren't you a good person? Noama food for like yo, I want my food to be good at nine nights. I judge people. I judge people off if your food, if your food not good at nine night, whatever they say, whatever they said, you did, you did, whatever you said you did. I'd bet said you was a horrible person. Your food no good on that night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're about to have an emotional moment.
Speaker 2: I was. But I'm trying to say, Virgin, I want to be known as a good person, but I also want my food to be extremely good at.
Speaker 1: Nine I understood, understood, understood. Have to be there and have to taste nice.
Speaker 2: Have to taste nice because like Virgin, don't bury me off my food ain't good at night, don't bury me at all, like yo, Like, can you imagine going to somebody nine night and the food good them food like that? Whatever that said you did, you did, you did, you did whatever I'm saying though you do?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, well owing this has been an amazing conversation. I love how you've used comedy to you know, not just entertain but to show the world who we are as Caribbean people and as Jamaicans and where we come from, and you know what makes us unique. And I think you're building something that's bigger than laughs and jokes. I think it's a movement and it's going to be a legacy, and it's really going to touch a lot of people, like more people than it has already touched. So thank you so much for coming to talk things with me today. And is there anything you would like to share with my audience.
Speaker 2: First of all, thank you for this opportunity.
Speaker 1: Oh you're welcome.
Speaker 2: It means so much to me what I would like to share, right because as a kid growing up with Caribbean descent, sometimes it might not resonate with their American partners or whatever it may be. But like I'm just telling the kids like you, being Caribbean, it's something amazing. Your culture is something amazing. So like for the Haitians, the Trinidadians or whatever whatever you might be in the Caribbean, you stand prideful in that. Trust me, and it adds another layer to you, like for people finding out who you are and what you are and you just being Caribbean and what you stand on. And I promise you it will work out for you, like down the line. And for the guys them love the look of accent there, so they're in a class like when I used to speak like oh and tell that stuff where you say, oh my gosh, she said what you said, So it will work out for you. So be pride feeling who you are. I don't care what Caribbean culture you are. Be prideful and what you are because down the line it will help you. Like I'm here and I'm doing Caribbean comedy because of my background. I wasn't born to Jamaica, but like when I put my foot down, like yo, I'm Jamaican, this one stuff started opening up for me. So don't be shy, don't be scared of where you are or who you are. Just let it happen. And it worked for you. So that's all I got to say. I don't want to preach an I love that.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love that. That's a beautiful message. And don't forget to tell them where they can follow you.
Speaker 2: You can follow me on the underscore since eighty nine.
Speaker 1: Well, hopefully you enjoyed yourself joking the things with me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm me talking the things with your name. John said, sweetness. Oh my gosh, it's the best interview I've ever had. I've had a couple. Some people are gonna get mad when I say that, But okay, we'll talk to Yeah, you'll go to Arbor. An't number a big school numb, big school love. I talked to somebody about to Arbor.