Speaker 1: Thank you, John Shannon. I like that. He's right, a fresh batch of Kentucky in this Morning News, our final hour with you this week before we get out of here for the weekend. It's gonna be hot. As I was gonna say, there's a few few things that came to mind for me there to say, but I won't because you know I'm gonna be professional. I could get away with that maybe when I was with the knuckleheads on the sports side of things. But yes, it's gonna be It is gonna be very, very hot, and just be prepared. The first weekend of summer is going to be very fitting. Right. Summer's here, right on schedule because the heat wave it really starts today, but tomorrow's when you're gonna feel it the most. So we'll give you the latest when it comes to the forecast coming up here in about five minutes or so. But it's eight oh five here Kentucky, INA's Morning News with myself, Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas take us with you wherever you go. Listen live at WHS dot com, also on the iHeartRadio app so JCPS. Parents may feel some anxiety if they're not already aware of what I'm about to share, and that is that there's going to be a change in what JCPS relies on when it comes to their bussing system. And we all know the last time they made a big investment, and I'm sure maybe they've done something since then. But if you're a parent that had a kid in the school system during the I guess, yeah, August of twenty twenty three, whenever they became a national story, just how big of a disaster it was, we got to believe and I say we I don't have a kid that's in the school system there, but regardless if you do or not, hard to imagine they would have a situation that played out the way that did back a couple of years ago. But JCPS has invested in a million dollar bus routing software that is expected to optimize school bus routes, and this is of course to improve efficiency, reduce transportation costs, and of course address ongoing bussing challenges that they have. This is expected to be fully implemented in twenty twenty six twenty seven, so it won't be this upcoming school year, So just keep that in mind. This software is going to map out new routes to streamline operations, potentially impacting students' parents and staff. According to this latest report, so using software and AI. And I'm not saying this doesn't say anything about AI, but it was an AI product last time around that ended up being a big disaster for everybody involved. And I'm sure that wasn't the only issue, but certainly it was a factor. So I guess relying on software that, of course I would imagine as being utilized within school systems across the country, that would make sense, probably regardless of your shortage of bus drivers. But where I would get worried is are we more so having to rely because you'd be foolish not to rely and utilize technology that can help you be more efficient. But if you're really desperate for it because you don't have the resources the manpower needed, that's where I would start to worry a little bit. And as far as you know what things look like for the twenty twenty six twenty twenty seven school year, that remains to be seen. We've got some time, but I feel like the twenty twenty three situation, I mean, it'll be something I remember for a long time because I think regardless if you had kids in the school system, if you're a teacher, whatever it may be. When you are getting national coverage for something that's taking place in your hometown, it is going to perk your interest, maybe more so than something similar happening elsewhere. And regardless if you have kids or not, you probably know people. I mean, again, this area, this community hard to find somebody that doesn't have some body in their life or an acquaintance that is a teacher, maybe they have children that are in the school system. And I just remember being very active, not active as far as engagement, but just checking social media very much that evening because every time I did, I would see a parent sharing an awful story about not knowing where their kid was or that they had to go pick them up in a different side of town. It was a complete disaster. And I'm not here to tell you what should have been done to prevent it, because I'm not somebody that you know that would know. But yeah, they relied on an AI system that was called Alpha Route and it was based out of Massachusetts. It cost about a quarter of a million dollars and it aimed to streamline these routes. And this was and by the way, this was something that was put in place and utilized specifically for those like JCPS that had a severe shortage of bus drivers, and it clearly didn't work very well. And I think one of the bigger complaints among many that that everybody had about the situation was that I guess previously there's other cities that tried to utilize this same Alpha Route AI software and they had issues too, and yet they still decided to go with it. So we shall see. But that was a memorable day, I'm sure for a lot of parents that had kids in the school system that rely on JCPS to get their kids to school, and they ended up hitting pause. And I think kids got a little bit of an extended summer because I think they ended up waiting maybe a week or so, didn't restart because they knew that they clearly at the time they were supposed to start school didn't have things in place to where they could do it. I mean, I'd say one of the first steps in you know, conducting a school day in the school system is to get the kids to school, and they couldn't do that, so they had to restart. So a bad situation all the way around, But look at it this way. Be really hard to imagine that this new system that'll be in place, not this upcoming to school year, but next year. Hard to imagine that it could be anywhere close to as bad as what we had in twenty twenty three. All right, we've got an update of traffic and weather coming your way. Stick around right here on Who's Radio eight forty whas Rory O'Neil of NBC News is going to join us. Coming up at eight thirty. We'll get the latest in the situation with Iran Israel and what will President Trump decided to do as far as an attack. We'll also get an update on which vehicles that you can purchase in twenty twenty five are the most American made. So again, Roy O'Neil will join us here at eight thirty. But we've talked a lot about I would say artificial intelligence AI, if you will. It's probably not going anywhere. I mean, it's been. I think it's it's probably become not only more utilized by society, but even those that don't rely on it, or don't want to ever rely on it, maybe don't even know a whole lot about how it works. I feel like it's impossible to completely remove yourself from it, because again, it's a big it's a big deal. It's kind of scary right as far as the crazy things that can be put together with artificial intelligence, and yet we're still in the very early, I mean the infant stages of it in the grand scheme of things. So again I understand both sides of it. It's useful and you'd be foolish not to use it at times to really help you. So are we all going to be? Is this just going to be a world of robots one day? That's the scar scary part of it. But it doesn't shock me at all that an MIT study has determined that using AI platforms like chat GPT has a dumbing down effect. So a new study claims that when you use AI often, meaning it's part of your daily routine, it essentially it dumbs you down. For lack of a better way to put it, so CHATGPT may be doing more harm than good according to this study. So it's from the M I T Media Lab. They gave subjects either chat, GPT, Google Search Engine, or nothing at all three different types and the results show that when people use the AI tool to help write SAT style essays, they consistently underperformed at neutral and behavioral levels. In fact, CHATGPT users had the lowest brain engagement and got lazier with each say, many times resorting to just copy and paste methods, whereas those that relied on Google and certainly those that relied on just their brain and nothing else, it was clearly more stimulating. As far as a mental exercise, that's a no brainer. I don't think we needed a study to necessarily determine that. But the long term effects here. If this just if your routine is just utilizing AI to do everything for you, yeah, it's probably useful and it may do a better job than you. But when you no longer in any way are stimulating your mind, dumbing down is certainly going to happen to you. So if in fact, things are getting done and you didn't have to really utilize your you didn't really have to challenge yourself. It was easy because somebody, meaning AI did it for you. I mean I think most people are like, heck, yeah, like this is great. Why would I not do that? It makes everything easier? And I kind of get it. It's like, whenever John, you're younger than I am. When you were in school, did you ever have the teacher that would tell you, well, you need to put the calculator away because you're not always going to have a calculator. A few times they were liars. Now they didn't know they were lying at the time, so maybe it's a stretch to say. Good point. So I'm sure I benefited from learning how to do things, but now I don't. I don't necessarily. I mean, you need to be able to read, write, that kind of stuff, basic math. I mean, that's certainly still a very valuable thing that people have. But the reality is this, as far as your everyday life, you don't really need to know how to do certain things that you used to have to know how to do to be productive in a lot of different ways. So I'm not at all surprised that that using AI no longer stimulates stimulates your mind, and it causes a dumbing down effect that to me was expected. I guess it comes down to, like a lot of things, just balancing it right, like you, because it would be a real it would be awful to be ten years down the line here and you've relied on AI way more than most for just simple tasks and whatnot to where you did try to, you know, do it on your own, and you realized, oh, my brain has essentially become mush because I haven't had to do any of this in a long time. So again, the AI conversations aren't going anywhere, And again I see both sides of it. Certainly useful and impressive, but also kind of scary as well. All right, we've got another sports update coming your way, also a check of traffic and weather and Roory O'Neil coming up at eight thirty right here on news Radio eight forty whs.
Speaker 2: Is that is that Van Halen's Center swing?
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, good stuff, good stuff. Are you guys ready for the heat wave that is upon us?
Speaker 3: I like it when it's hot, somative so much, so, so much time.
Speaker 1: We've been waiting to play that all morning for you. How'd we do? How'd the kids do? Play a little trick on? Dad? Let me hear it again? You got it again?
Speaker 3: Someone tells, so so so much time.
Speaker 1: I just walk around during the day and say, gibble giblet zach.
Speaker 4: I gotta make a song with that, can you, hey, John Aben, can you send me that SoundBite.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we could do that. There's no way a I couldn't put something together created just from that clip.
Speaker 2: Okay. We talked about this on my show, but we didn't talk about our show.
Speaker 1: I mean, but I thought it was your show.
Speaker 2: Well it is, but he likes.
Speaker 4: Me being, you know, inclusive to our show on the show when the Little People talk. Go ahead, Dwight Whitten and company did this yesterday. Somebody made a AI of us making out.
Speaker 2: Of us making out and it looked pretty real.
Speaker 1: Gonna send that to me?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, no, no, no no, don't send it to the video.
Speaker 1: I know. But we talked about of my own personal use.
Speaker 3: We talked about an AI version of us, and it maybe the in the AI version of us is like, why don't I have to be Tony van EDDI?
Speaker 1: Can I be like Tom Brady's.
Speaker 5: No, no, you're do you think the A By the way, the AI video, it's the it's the most legitimately real looking AI created thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's disturbing.
Speaker 1: It's very disturbing. You can send it to me, do the hands on I do not send.
Speaker 2: Let me show you another one. Let me show you another one. That he did with me and my sister in law. Oh yeah, this looks even more real watch this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, uh so, yes, the AI is very accurate.
Speaker 3: Ye know, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: That's insane.
Speaker 1: You'd never know.
Speaker 2: No, that's it. That's insane. Look at that.
Speaker 3: If you get busted doing something like a politician, can't they say, oh, that's AI, that's not me.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 2: Move on.
Speaker 1: You know they have AI. I don't know how they would do it on a file like that. But as far as text, they have AI detectors, and there's a new there's a new one every week that pops up for you to get around that. Because obviously there's a bunch of college kids that are sending out emails about internships and and more than half of them don't realize. There's certain things that they include, and there's some of them are just stupid. They include the pasted Hey can you send an email to this to this person and ask about an internship? They copy and paste the whole thing. I you know, I would love to bring somebody in and just like show them that they did that, just to.
Speaker 4: I haven't used yet, and my wife has a couple of times I said, well, I'm not going to use it because my brain is mushy enough right now.
Speaker 2: Mit, just did a study, yes, just disgusted. Yeah, and it's luring and luring and luring a deal.
Speaker 3: They said the same thing about directions, like your phone in the directions. But yesterday I went to Doc sad Low and had a sick whatever six months or a year whatever it is, check up for the heart attack deal. And he just said, hey, this is new and he turns it on and then he does the meeting. He clicks and it summarizes everything in the meeting. He'd normally doctors had to I got to do the file report and they have to fill everything in after the meeting.
Speaker 1: It's all done. It was all done.
Speaker 3: It was crazy. So now it saves him hours. He goes, if I had this at the beginning of my career, I'd be home with my family.
Speaker 2: We got a hack into his file and order a sex change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I heard worse ideas.
Speaker 2: Yea, let's do it. Uh yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think when it comes to just your brain being stimulated on a daily basis, you don't even realize it at times. But now you don't have to really put much into anything when it comes to like desk work, like writing, and and that that eventually will turn your brain to mush. I mean that's just.
Speaker 4: Trying to exercise my brain every day, like playing guitar or something that makes me cordinate, playing solitaire or something.
Speaker 3: Absolutely he does like two plus two four.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 4: To get back to the sex change thing, you can still keep the name Tony w just be t O and.
Speaker 1: I I have an antony.
Speaker 3: I think he'll be more people that will get off the grid than you know. My buddy got off the grid. He's got some solar panels in the wind and he's not on the internet net and he lives out out off Dixie Highway on some farmland.
Speaker 1: And just say some wilderness.
Speaker 3: He was on Dixie Highway way out with Dixieway towards forty.
Speaker 1: And the largest metropolitan city in our states, just south of Wich Valley.
Speaker 2: Right, thank you.
Speaker 1: But by the way, it's paradise out there.
Speaker 2: I mean, garantee it work.
Speaker 4: But he's off the grid. Well, I'll tell you what else is making people's mind mush. Is uh social media? I think, yeah, because half the time you scroll.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm guilty of being somebody that is so attached to it, and you know, I think we all know that it is. It is a big resource for what we do. However, I know it can't be productive for me, like in any way outside of that and and certain ones, I mean, like hate people in Twitter. You know you called it years ago. I mean, Twitter is just a toxic wasteland and it's not real. Yeah, it's not real.
Speaker 2: You're not real.
Speaker 3: I got I got caught on it the other night. Jackie's out of town. So I was just scrolling, thinking I was just gonna crash out here in a minute. It was one am, scrolling because I wanted to hate people.
Speaker 2: Seriously, time out. Your wife goes out of town and that's the website you go to. I was gonna say, okay, I'm done with it.
Speaker 1: Jackie caught you. She was out of town and it was it was her car, right, It was just it was just him scrolling Twitter, which I'm guilty of doing that a lot. There's more on Twitter now though.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, yeah, there actually is. But you know what I'm saying. I looked up at it was one am.
Speaker 1: Doneam I drop in John, And I know right, no, my algorithm includes that. I was talking to. So this is this is my cycle I'm trying to break. I don't. I don't often nap because I don't want to. I'm not good at it. But when I do, I sleep longer than I probably should, so then I end up not being as tired when I need to go to bed to get up early. So I doom scroll and I think fifteen minutes go by, and then it's two hours. Actually, yeah, it's it's pretty it's pretty scary.
Speaker 3: If you have to wait at the tire store for three hours before you get your car, that's what that's good for you. Doom doom scroll until you're like, oh, it's already ready great And here's what.
Speaker 1: Here's something that I actually had planned on getting into today but I didn't have enough time. It's certainly worth resetting next week. But when it comes to the word addiction addicted, I think people just assume the extreme of alcohol, gambling, obviously drugs, but I mean people are I'm addicted to social media, meaning like not not not necessarily posting, but just if I am just sitting around in my brain is just you know, in a pause, I just my instincts to grab out my phone in refresh Twitter. And in that I mean when I can't do it, like no service or whatever, or it's down because Elon Musk didn't pay a bill or something. I have a moment of like I'm way more dependent upon this than I realized, and like that's that's scary. Like again, John is twenty two.
Speaker 3: He's the last generation that had most of his life without that. So now every generation after John again, do the math on the numbers.
Speaker 1: Well you said it yesterday off the air, but it's true. I think even the younger generation, as far as how much they are really emotionally invested into sports and consuming it, they just don't have the attention span. It ain't the same sad stuff. But it's Friday and it's gonna be hot fdayble so much time. There we go. It's here this weekend. Have a good show, fellas,