Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Quiz Quiz Bang Bang, the pub quiz practice show that hits you a powl right in the quizzer.
Speaker 2: I'm David Flora and I Manny Flora, and we're here to teach you more about trivia than there are still kiss cam coldplay jokes being made out in the world.
Speaker 1: Man, it's got some stayin power. I guess it's been longer than.
Speaker 2: Like three days, right, Well, I think overall people have let it fade away. But Jimmy Kimmel's back, and he made a joke in his opening monologue. I'm like, dude, if you go on vacation, which is fine, go on vacation, but when you come back, you can't.
Speaker 1: You can't dredge up three week old jokes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's coming on.
Speaker 3: We're uh, we're all about here, that's right, And don't forget that Zoom Trivia is this Saturday, this one right now, Not now, Today's Wednesday, who knows when you're.
Speaker 2: Listening to this, But Saturday, this sixth at noon mountain time, that's when we're doing trivia. Shoot us a message if you want a link, and we'll see you there. We'll see you square. We also have some fun. Thank yous to do real quick. We want to welcome Lawrence as our newest patron. Thank you Lawrence, and thank you Steven for upgrading your mumbushit grid And we got some coffees.
Speaker 1: Whoa, whoa, thanks everybody.
Speaker 2: We got Kate and Allie. They say, you definitely shouldn't take this as a bribe, but would strongly recommend Annie read's book two of the Aco t R series. That's a court of thorns and roses. If you want to give up after then that's totally cool. It gets good and wouldn't want you to miss out lots of love from the UK.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: You know what, Kate and Allie. I have heard that the second book is better, so I will take your bribe.
Speaker 1: Wait did Kate write a court of thorns? You know what? Any I looked into this? Uh huh. And if you take the letters in Kate and Allie and you mix them up like an anagram, you get alienated with a few letters lifted, so it doesn't really work, but keep going. The point isn't You're right?
Speaker 2: We got a message from Skillett brew Trivia. You two are hilarious and awesome. Thank you, Love everything you do well on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Don't like those flowers out front.
Speaker 2: Though, Yeah, would also very much enjoy if you two would come on our show and play it sold count soon. Apparently you can bribe us really easily. I will now reach just ask us and we'll be like sure. And so yeah, shoot is a message, so we know how to contact you, and let's get that set up. And we got a message from branch Flower and a coffee that says love you guys.
Speaker 1: Branch Flower, Thank.
Speaker 2: You, branch Flower, Pampa Pian.
Speaker 1: Thank you all, Thank you all, thanks for.
Speaker 2: Listening, thanks for being positive and being supportive, because you know, we're all on this little planet spinning in the galaxy together and sometimes it's hard. I'm just gonna have a breakdown now, we'll be right back. But it's really nice having this connection with all of you because all of you are so wonderful and remind me that the world is a decent place.
Speaker 1: Huzzaw.
Speaker 2: And now with that deep thought, here is how the show works.
Speaker 1: Whiz Quiz Bang Bang's format is four rounds of four questions, each followed by the answers. After round two, we'll ask a quick fire bang bang question where you'll have a time limit to give multiple answers. After the fourth round, the show culminates with the Big Bang, a final round with three questions, whose answers are all clues to one final question?
Speaker 2: Round one. Question one, the category is television. On which UK game show based on the original American version? Did Dale Winton tell contestants to go wild in the isles? Isles being Ai s l e s. Question two. The category is business. This question comes from listener.
Speaker 1: Bobby, Thank you, Bobby Boy.
Speaker 2: What country produces ninety five percent of the world's opals? Question three? The category is art. Botticelli's Fresco Temptations of Christ is on the wall of what chapel? Question four? The category is space. The Luna nine mission by the USSR in nineteen sixty six was the first to achieve what and now The answers to round one? Question one? On which UK game show based on the original American version? The Dale Winton tell contestants to go wild in the aisles? Supermarket sweep?
Speaker 1: It's a fun one.
Speaker 2: It is, Get those frozen turkeys? Question two? What country produces ninety five percent of the world's opals? Australia? Question three Botticelli's Fresco Temptations of Christ is on the wall of what chapel? The Sistine Chapel.
Speaker 1: That's a pretty solid bed if you asked about a chapel.
Speaker 2: All right, I was just like, how many others can people name?
Speaker 1: Chapelo Love, Elvis's Shotgun Chapel? Everything in Vegas.
Speaker 2: Fair enough? Question four. The Luna nine mission by the USSR in nineteen sixty six was the first to achieve what a soft landing on the moon?
Speaker 1: Round two? Question five. The category is geography going back to Australia. According to the Australian Government's website within five percent what percentage of Australia is defined as range lands aka the Outback? Question six category Music. This one comes from Major Data. Thank you Major, Thank you Major. What is the only Disney song to win both Best Original Song at the Academy Awards and Grammy for Song of the Year. Question seven? Category Sports? Think American sports and identify the odd one out Eagles, Bears, Tigers and Lions. Question eight Category literature. The title of James Joyce's Ulysses comes from the Latinized name of what hero and Now. The answers to Round two Question five within five percent. What percentage of Australia is defined as Rangelands aka the Outback? Eighty one percent? So if you said anywhere between seven seventy six and eighty six percent, you got it. That's a lot. Question six. What's the only Disney song to win both Best Original Song at the Oscars and Grammy First Song of the Year. You might need a magic carpet for this one. It's a Whole New World from Aladdin.
Speaker 2: I wonder if K Pop Demon Hunters will win any awards this year.
Speaker 1: Question seven? Which one is the odd one out between Eagles, Bears, Tigers and Lions Tigers? Oh, because you have the Philadelphia Eagles, the Chicago Bears, and the Detroit Lions. Those are all NFL teams, but the Detroit Tigers is a Major League Baseball team. Question eight. The title of James Joyce's Ulysses comes from the Latinised name of what hero Odysseus and he just finished Ulysses.
Speaker 2: H hoof. That's it for the first half, which means it's time for the Bang Bang Round. The category for this week's Bang Bang Round is society and Culture. You will have thirty seconds to answer the following question. According to the not dot com, what are the traditional milestone anniversary gifts for the first eight years of marriage? Your time starts now.
Speaker 1: And that's time. The first eight years anniversary milestone gifts traditionally are your one paper, you're two cotton, your three leather, four fruit or flowers, five wood, six iron, seven copper or wool, and eight is bronze or pottery.
Speaker 2: I haven't gotten you any traditional wedding gifts. Out of all of those, which do you want the most?
Speaker 1: Hmmm? Do print a lot for quiz Bang Live shows? So all right?
Speaker 2: A ream of paper? It is robot round three. Question nine. The category is food and drink, popular in Belgium and known in French as carbonade Flamon Flemish stew is a beef stew made with which type of drink? Question ten? The category is folklore. This question comes from listener Dean.
Speaker 1: Think you Dean?
Speaker 2: What is the traditional occupation of a leprechaun? Question eleven. The category is history. Whose ambitions were stopped in Russia in eighteen twelve after the Battle of Borodino. Question twelve the category is gains and hobbies. What spinning toy used by kids? To battle each other was introduced in nineteen ninety nine by Japanese toy company Takara Tomi and sold internationally by Hasbro beginning in two thousand and two. And now the answer is to round three. Question nine. Carbonade flamond or Flemish stew is a beef stew made with which type of drink? The best type of drink? Beer? Question ten? What is the traditional occupation of a leprechaun shoemaker?
Speaker 1: That was kind of a later development for leprechauns. They just kind of started out as little fairies that ran around a lot, and so the tails evolved into them having to either repair or make their own shoes. Because they ran around so much, that became a fact that they were cobblers, and yates called them solitary fairies. They didn't hang out a lot with other fay folk.
Speaker 2: So if I was a fairy, I'd be eleprecon Question eleven. Whose ambitions were stopped in Russia in eighteen twelve after the Battle of Borodino Napoleon Bonaparte? Question twelve what spinning toy used by kids to battle each other? Was introduced by Takara Tomy and sold by Hasbro beginning in two thousand and two. Babe Blade, did you ever have one of those? David Sure didn't me neither.
Speaker 1: That's what all Beyonce's fans fight.
Speaker 2: With, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Round four? Question thirteen. The category is science. What name is given to the climate phenomenon of the cooling phase of sea surface temperature over the tropical Pacific Ocean? Question fourteen, Category tasty lick. This one comes from listener may think you may, thank you May. This is a before and after involving a band or musician and a food item. For example, if I said this chocolate confection would have you living on a prayer, the answer would be bon bon jovi. Here we go. You better think and respect this delicious berry, the jam of which is traditionally served with Swedish meatballs. Question fifteen. Category mythology. Originally a personification of the Milky Way, the Egyptian sky goddess Hathor became the goddess of women and fertility and came to be depicted as what animal. Question sixteen Category animals which underwater animals? Populations sing different songs based on their geographical location, and now they answered a Round four question thirteen. What name is given to the climate phenomenon of the cooling phase of sea surface temperature over the tropical Pacific Ocean La Nina? The warming phase is El Nino? Question fourteen. You better think and respect this delicious berry, the gem of which is traditionally served with Swedish meatballs. That would be Aretha franklingenberries. Aretha Franklin saying respect and think and lingenberries. You can make a jam to serve with Swedish meat balls. Great work may Question fifteen. Originally a personification of the Milky Way, the Egyptian sky goddess Hathor became the goddess of women in fertility and came to be depicted as what animal cow? This says the cow headed goddess or sometimes just a full on cow, makes sense with the milky.
Speaker 2: Way, Yeah, milk, that's right there.
Speaker 1: Question sixteen. Which underwater animals populations sing different songs based on their geographical location? Whales?
Speaker 2: That's lovely so.
Speaker 1: In studies on this, scientists found that the farther apart two groups were, the more different the sounds were. For example, Indian ocean humpbacks sound very different from Pacific ocean humpbacks, while different populations within the same general part of the Pacific will share more elements and song structures, and they also learn versus from other songs from Wales they encounter throughout their lives. Huh, pretty neat.
Speaker 2: That's it for the regular rounds, which means it's time for the Big Bang Round. Category for this week's Big Bang Round is historical Geography. We will give you three clue questions, which are all hints to one final question. The clue questions may not fall under the same category. Question one. The traditional eating pattern based on the dietary habits of countries such as Greece, Italy and Spain is known as.
Speaker 1: What question two. The Sovereign Order of Saint John of Jerusalem, a Catholic military order focused on aiding the sick, the poor and patient care, is also known by what name.
Speaker 2: Question three? Who wrote the nineteen thirty four detective novel The Thin Man.
Speaker 1: And Your Big Bang Question again? Category's historical geography. The George Cross was awarded to which Island country by King George the sixth in nineteen forty two due to its role in the Allied war effort.
Speaker 2: Now now the answers to the Big Bang Round. Question one. The traditional eating pattern based on the dietary habits of countries such as Greece, Italy and Spain is known as what Mediterranean diet?
Speaker 1: Question two. The Sovereign Order of Saint John of Jerusalem, a Catholic military order focused on aiding the sick, the poor and patient care, is also known by what name The Knights Hospitaller.
Speaker 2: Question three? Who wrote the nineteen thirty four detective novel The Thin Man dashel Hammet?
Speaker 1: And finally, the George Cross was awarded to which island country by King George the sixth and nineteen forty two due to its role in the Allied war effort, located in the Mediterranean and serving as a base for the Knights Hospitaaler for a while, and having a name connection with a dashal hammet work. It is Malta, the.
Speaker 2: Malta Tease Falcon, Malta Teese. I love it because they got this metal and they were so proud of it that it's now part of their flag.
Speaker 1: They put it on the flag.
Speaker 2: I just think that that is so. I don't know why, Like I don't want to sound like patronizing, but I'm like, that's just so cute.
Speaker 1: It was a great spot because it's near Sicily and north of Tripoli in Africa, so of course the Italians and the Germans wanted it for staging attacks and things like that. It would just be a good strategic spot. And because I think the British had a presence there, they were able to hold it and keep it from falling into Axis hands. And the Knight's Hospital had a that was their main base of operation for a while, and they actually were administrators of a vassal kingdom there or something like a like. They treated it kind of like a fiefdom with I think with Tripoli and just that that region in general. If I'm not mistaken, they ended up getting kicked out. I forget why. But there's a lot of history on Malta, and it relies heavily on tourism. But there's not a lot of water there. It gets pretty hot and dry in the summer, so they have, you know, they have to import a lot of stuff and get those tourist bucks for the economy. But it looks looks beautiful and it's also you know, probably the where the best dogs in the world came from.
Speaker 2: It's true, so we should visit give them our money as a thank you. Yeah, I've been great, as he had been a clue question, but we can't actually expect everyone to know what breed of dog we used to own.
Speaker 1: And I figured that the malted milk balls from the UK probably been a little spot on as well. The dashal Hammett work. As Annie said, Maltese Falcon and yeah, I think if you're talking about hard boiled detective stuff, Sam Spade dashal Hammett and the thin Man, Nick and Nora are dashal Hammett as well. Yeah, so he came up with a lot of good characters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the film series for The thin Man, I haven't actually read those books yet. The film series is really great, so I would like to read that series.
Speaker 1: If you like what we do, please consider supporting us on Patreon, Patreon, dot com, slash quiz Bang thanks to all of our wonderful patrons, and if you sign up at the five dollars and up level, you get an extra episode a month. This last month the theme was pets, had a lot of pet trivia.
Speaker 2: You know what pet trivia question? We forgot to ask, what what is the alias for crypto? Superman's dog.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, what is the alias for Crypto? Give it to us Anny bark Kent. Perfect. But we had a lot of fun with that one, some interesting stuff, especially the historical section that we did that was that was fun to me. And if you still like what we do, you can buy us a coffee like Kate Norley did. Chris and Irene from Skillet Brew and branch Flower.
Speaker 2: Thanks everyone, we really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: That is ko dash Fi dot com slash quiz bang Pod. Thanks again for listening and for this episode of Quiz Quiz Bang Bang. I've been David.
Speaker 2: Flora, I've been Andy Flora. Here's looking at you. Please h