Speaker 1: What is up, fellow sikos, I am Dan Valley taking a break from finals coverage, taking a break from our offseason look aheads for every single team. Go check those out as they're rolling out if you have not already, to talk to the man, the myth, the legend, who's a real person though mister Keith Smith of spow Track follow him on the social zat Keith Smith NBA probably mispronounced bow Track. We go through this every single year spotrack. How are we doing this again?
Speaker 2: Spot track?
Speaker 1: It's a spot track NBA people.
Speaker 2: I think it's because of Eric Spolstra that they go do spow track, But it's spot.
Speaker 3: Track, spot track.
Speaker 1: Keith Smith of spot Track, who I've had on the podcast many times before and still just mispronounced the outlet that he's from. So we are here to hold the off season chaos Draft. We're just gonna alternate picks on teams that we think whether they define the offseason, we think they're gonna do something unhinged, but like they are definitely teams to watch for a multitude of reasons heading into the summer. But first, I think the question everyone wants to know the answer to, how the heck are you doing, Keith.
Speaker 2: I'm good man, I'm I'm glad to see you're on your feet, your house is still standing. I'm I'm I'm a little afraid of what may be after the Knicks look like they're gonna finish this this off. I think, you know, we may end up in a place where like it's gonna be like escape from New York after the next Knicks win. But it's uh, I mean, I'm it's funny. I I tell people any any radio or podcast appearents I've done. I don't care who wins. I was rooting for the Spurs after they went down to oh only just because I want more games, because the games have been so good. But like, it's pretty cool if the Knicks win. Like it's like, I know, I have a lot of Knicks fans in my life that head given up on. Like they're like, this is the one team I'm never gonna see win. Like they're like I've seen the Yankees win, I've seen the Giants win. The Knicks I'm never gonna see win. And it's like, and it's it's cool that they're right on the verge of it. So pretty fun stuff.
Speaker 1: It's a weird existence because the person who covers the league wants it to be a long series and was also a little worried that had the Knicks swept it, it wouldn't have been indicative of just how high level the basketball was because all.
Speaker 3: These games have been close.
Speaker 1: But the fan in me is, well, if they lose Game five and then it's just like then this bers just need to win Game six, and all of a sudden it's Game seven on the road, So I'm torn. I want them to win however they win, but the idea of them doing it at MSG would be cool.
Speaker 3: But it's also kind of surreal.
Speaker 1: And LA's probably because some of the things I said about the Knicks throughout the season that we watched them steamroll everybody. After Game three, by the way, I was in the building, well their streak is over now. For Game three of the Hawks, they lost and that was the last time they lost for like forty something days. Crazy, and just watching that game, I never could have predicted in a trillion years anything like this happen. So it's been wildly entertaining, and the series has been for all the complaining about the refereeing and who's dirty, who's getting away with? What the free throw stuff? This has been a hell of a series, Just a hell of a series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, super high level basketball with they're not always close the whole way through, but close at the end, and that's you know that, that's that's what we can.
Speaker 1: Does a Finals game really begin if the Knicks don't trail by double digits? Questions?
Speaker 2: It's funny, I want I told one of my best friends he's a huge Knicks fan, and I said, yeah, they actually feel really good. If the Spurs are up twenty after the first quarter, I'd be like, Okay, got them right where we want them. I was like, now, maybe at some point de luck runs out, and I think a bunch of the Knicks players have kind of said like, yeah, we'd rather not continue to follow these giant holes and have to dig ourselves out. But yeah, really it's it's it really has been a really fun finals.
Speaker 1: Keith, you are the guests, and because I'm just such a wonderful person, I'm going to give you the first pick. So which team are you taking with a number one overall pick in the offseason chaos draft?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it it pains me to pick them number one and any any facet, any fashion event, anything, because I at the end of the day still probably do bleed a little green as a Celtics guy.
Speaker 2: But I pick the Lakers. There. They're the Lakers, they have cap space, they have Lebron, Like, it's just like something wild is gonna happen here. That's I think gonna be. It's just because it's the Lakers. When the Lakers have cap space, big things happen. And then you've act factor in the whole Lebron of it all, Like, what does that all mean? I'm gonna take the Lakers.
Speaker 3: I think that's a good pick.
Speaker 1: And for all the reasons that you listed, I also wonder do you think there's a chance that it's also anti climactic where they look to kind of roll the flexibility. Okay, we keep Austin Reeves, Lebron's coming back, and they're rolling the flex waiting for the star they could trade for for flexibility of the year after they feel like the anti climactic possibility as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I absolutely could could play out that way. In fact, there's as this has all gone on for the last couple of months, I've started to really prepare myself more and more for that could be the way that this goes. But still it's one when the Lakers have cap space, like it's just it's it's a it's a thing. I can it's it's always gonna be a thing.
Speaker 1: Do you think if you were to predict right now that we'll end up looking back and say, oh, the Lakers did something significant other than re sign Austin Reeves to a max or near max deal.
Speaker 2: I think there's a good chance. I I think if there is a out of nowhere trade this time right like, think I'm not spoiling any future picks and not exactly tipping you up. I didn't know, did you know Giannis might get traded? Right like there's well, hold on, hold on, hold on what yeah, right outside of a Yannis trade, if there's a like holy crap, like one of those ones where it's like what happened? I think the Lakers good good chance they might be be the team that's involved in that. Whoa, that guy got traded kind of kind of moved just I think they're well positioned to be able to do something like that.
Speaker 1: Is there was also part of this because I've given some I haven't seen it talked about a ton, but they've changed a lot of the front office people. And so is there an element of does Mark Walter, Like, what's how's Rob Polinka feeling under Mark Walter right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gotta guess there's probably some level of pressure, right like Mark Walter, I know there's all the genie's gonna really run the team. But at the end of the day, Mark Walter owns the team now, right, Like, so he's I don't I don't care who sits in the meetings. Two actually is the one who's like signing off on what we do. That's the person who really runs the team. It's important to note he didn't hire Rob Polinka, right doesn't have the attachments to Rob Polinka through Kobe Bryant. And although those you know, through lines that run through all that. So yeah, I could absolutely see Rob Plink feeling like he's under some pressure. And it's it's you know, eventually, at some point it's gonna be are if we're not we're the Lakers. If we're not in the finals and having chances to win, we're not good enough and we got to get to people here who will get us there, and that there will be a change of eventually.
Speaker 1: With pick number two, I'm trying to select the peop where I think I know this team is gonna do something splashy. I'm going with the Brooklyn Nets, another catch based team, so an obvious choicement extent, But they also not only do they not own their own first round pick next year, but you can't point to anyone on the roster right now and say this is the player around whom we want to build. But you also don't know, well one, you have to probably assume they won't get that player at number six, So it's not like they have a top four, top five selection where you feel maybe better about them finding that player and following a gradual course. So you kind of have to sit there and wonder, are they gonna make a big trade, are they gonna do something frivolous during free agency, or will it be we're gonna fall, We're just gonna stay at the current court. Of course, we've seen Shawn Marks do that before him they didn't have picks, But now we're moving beyond.
Speaker 3: A decade later, and I'm assuming that.
Speaker 1: I mean, the way people talk about Shawn Marks now is so much different from like five or six years ago. I have to imagine the pressure in Brooklyn is being ratcheted up. I don't know what that looks like, but just between the cap space, not having their own pick and not having a franchise cornerstone in place, I feel like we could just see, like trades signed, things could just get absolutely wild for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's a great pick. There's also a factor in you can no longer sell the idea of we're gonna be really bad because you can't do that in the new lottery reform. You can't goin with that being your plan, and you can't sell a we're gonna be really bad for multiple years because you also can't that can't be a thing either. So I think, Yeah, I think a lot of these teams, I think, more than anything else with the lottery reform, I'm very curious to see how teams rebuild now, Like how does it because it for decades now, the way you rebuild is trade to weigh your best players for younger players or draft picks. You stink for a period of time. Sometimes it's a year or two, sometimes it's a decade or two if you're the Kings, and then you just kind of like then you build back up right, and it's now you're in a spot where it is like it really becomes can't do that anymore.
Speaker 3: It's just not a way of works.
Speaker 1: So who are you gonna take with the third pick?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with with with the hometown team with Boston.
Speaker 3: Here's why.
Speaker 2: Maybe it is Giannis, I don't know, but they're gonna do something. Brad Stevens, who is maybe the most even keeled individual I've met covering the league my entire life, where there are times you could you could question if you didn't know him, like does this guy like does he care? Like he just he's never too high, he's never too low. Yes, he didn't come in banging the table and screaming and yelling at their postseason media, but he's like, we're not good enough and we're not good enough for what we should be and was like, look, we overachieved, but then reset the bar. We didn't do it like, just was not happy, and then went into we need to change the way we play. We don't put enough pressure on the rim. We need to get more layup s, dunks and free throws, like, yes, that could be honest maybe maybe there is something there. I don't know. We'll find out, but I just think he is in a place where it is we are not. I'm not saying they're blowing the team up, but just if they want to make meaningful changes, they're gonna have to look pretty different, and I think there's a real chance that happens this summer.
Speaker 1: Is there a possibility then that they would because they're so top heavy in salary when you're looking at the matching tools, is there a chance then that they would trade Jail and Brown? And it's not free, honest, it's breaking him up into two or three players or something.
Speaker 3: Because that I don't know how else.
Speaker 1: I guess you could try to do that with Derek White, but I'd be curious what is true he value is after this season, with what's left on his contract. That's what's fascinating about Boston to me, is like I've just for years, even remember break up the Jays a couple of years ago, probably before they won the title. I've just dismissed it, and now I'm wondering, oh is their legs today?
Speaker 3: And I honestly don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know if there's like a good reason why I should wonder why, Like is this like they they haven't had Tatum back for a full season. They did look pretty dominant at stretches. But I guess if you want to make a material change to the way you're playing, Jalen Brown is kind of like the guy at this point with which to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if for no other reason, he makes basically twice as much as Derek White. So if you're talking about breaking Derek White up into two or three guys, you're talking like ten, twelve to fifteen million that's coming back. We take Jaylen Brown and makes almost sixty million dollars, you're turning it into here's a couple guys who make twenty five thirty million dollars, right, So that changes things in a very big way. I think here's where I'm at with all this. If at some point in the next few weeks it comes down the Celtics traded Jalen Brown for Jannis. If it is mostly Jalen Brown for Yannis, okay, it's a worthy swing, right, and I'm gonna let's see what it looks like. I'm gonna trust in it. If it is Jalen Brown plus plus plus for Yannis, No stay away, Like you don't need to be trading multiple first round picks or multiple of the young players that look like they have really good potential, Like that doesn't need to be a thing. That's then. That's the same way I felt about Jalen Brown for Kevin Durant a couple of years ago. It was all right, if you're gonna trade him straight up, all right, I can get behind that, I can understand. But if you're trading them for Kevin Durant and you're also trading out multiple other things, I just can't get there. Now. I can also get there if it is at some point traded Jalen Brown and we broke that contract up into three rotation guys and two are gonna start or whatever it is. Okay, sure. I think what is most likely to happen with the Celtics, which runs counter to why I picked them, is they run it back. They use their big trade exception, they use their mid level exception something to bring in another really good player, and then it's moves around the edges that that's probably what is most likely. But because the potential exists for them to go kind of crazy and Brett Stevens was so mad, which I've never really seen him like that since he took over the GM role. There, it's definitely a world ward. Things get a little crazy.
Speaker 1: I just I guess if it was technically straight up or as close to straight up as it could be, I understand the honest wing, but you're just you're trunk kating your window so much. It feels like so you're getting the better player, but for how long? And it's also how many He wasn't in the playoffs last year, so this can't count, but then previously too, he doesn't finish, isn't available by the end of the two other playoff runs because of it aris that's just and after going through Jason Tatum having this series serious Achilles injury, I don't.
Speaker 3: I get the idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I might understand it, like you said, if it was close to straight up, but I don't even think I'm necessarily on board with it. If it would be a close to straight up deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm only on board with it because try something different, like it's I you know, there's a ward where I hope, I don't know five years from now to who knows how long guys are gonna play anymore. It's like, oh, that's now I'm having to even beyond Lebron, who's probably gonna play until he's seventy. Like you are, like, You're like, we have to reframe all of this, Like guys are guys are nowhere near done at thirty dude, Some guys are nowhere near done at thirty five. So like, I don't want I was gonna say, five more years of Tatum and Brown and then they both retire, but that feels even like low, So I don't know, seven eight more years of it and then they they eventually both move on. I would love it if they played it out the whole way in Boston. But what I think everybody would love even more is winning another title, right, And it's like it's that that that where for me if I think they think this puts them closer like it, it's like, let's let's go, let's get it done.
Speaker 1: For the fourth pick, I'm gonna go with a couple of teams. Who's the right pick here? I'm just gonna go with another potential Yannis team in the Miami Heat. It's kind of shit or get off the pop time, I think for them I'm not very much on board with every summer you have to trade a star or it's meaningless. We've seen enough of just they either have a player in Jimmy Butler who you're waiting, you're hoping, Okay, if we get the seventh seed, he'll he'll peak in time for the plan, which that's not a sustainable model as we saw, and now it's we're waiting for them to get a best player on a what could be a title caliber team or something close to it. I love bam Adebayo offensively, he just can't be that.
Speaker 3: And he's also had.
Speaker 2: To scored eighty eighty whatever was I now, I don't even remember, was it eighty.
Speaker 1: Three eighty three? But listen, he should have stopped at the Kobe number. I thought it was disrespectful that he kept going.
Speaker 3: That was just so.
Speaker 1: I I don't if you don't get Yannis one, actually, let me start here. If you get Yannis, the packages that are being floated around out there for your honest I don't know how much.
Speaker 3: Better the heat are.
Speaker 1: If Tyler heroes going out, I'm assuming you're even if you bring back Norman Powell. If jim Hawks Junior is gone you still kind of need a primary creator on the roster. Then the spacing could end up being bunked. I'm bam and Giannis will figure it out defensively. They'll figure it out offensively. But you're very like you're you're traveling a very fine line there. So I'm not thrilled about what the heat might look like after Yannis. There needs to be other moves lined up. But then you ask yourself, well, what what are they going to be left with to do if you don't get Yannis? There's a bunch of different ways they could go. Is there another star that fits that becomes available they could go after? Do they make the wrong move because they're so over aggressive and they refuse to rebuild? Does the R word actually get uttered there and they hit reset? Do they just end up taking a distressed asset type guy where it's they trade for a zion, they trade for a rant. This team is all over the place, and I don't I honestly don't know how they seem like the Yianni's favorite right now. But if they don't get yannest I don't even know what I would predict that they do.
Speaker 2: That's a great, great point and that was one of the things that I was asked. I've done a couple of different Heat shows recently, and one of the things that both both shows asked was like, if it's not Yannis, what next? And my thing is, I'm like, I don't know. I think you're probably trying to sell the fan base on or we're gonna try to kind of run it back. Right, we might overpay Norman Powell for a year and then at least we we have him and Hero and then we'll have you know, there's worlds where they conve like seventy million in cap space in the summer twenty twenty seven, and and if I'm a Heat fan, I'm like, uh, we just kind of did a year without making the playoffs. The last couple of years, I haven't been very good, Like, you know, the last time we were good was now like a few years ago, Like what are we doing? And I think that's where it does get, you know, kind of tough, like they I think because they made those couple of runs, and they made the runs from like the eighth seed, we are still like those are still with us in our memory. They haven't been very good since twenty twenty two. When they made the finals. They they've not been you know, a great team since then, and like last year they really weren't very good. So like I do wonder, at what point does patients run out with the fan base where it's like, uh, you know what we'd like is rather than sell all this, we're gonna go get somebody. We'll go get somebody, right instead of going to do it, go do it.
Speaker 1: But then you don't want to hear oh they gave up how many first round picks they get?
Speaker 3: Zion in the building.
Speaker 1: It's just like, who would be your next pick?
Speaker 2: Sir, I'm stuck between two? Here I go with Denver. Oh, they have to do something clear money like it's as.
Speaker 1: Much just fire their entire broadcast crew because it seems like they did that already.
Speaker 2: And it's yeah, that's a whole other thing. But for me, I am this is where I have to separate from what I would do versus what I think they will do if it was me. Pay the tax I have Nikolay Jokic.
Speaker 1: You only just have one of the three greatest basketball players a lot. How would you pay the tags or the same everything I have with them?
Speaker 2: And and to be fair, they have paid the tax like I think could ask got lumped is like they've never even paid the tax like they have, but they just they don't want to go deep into the tax. I would go deep into the tax. I'd resign Peyton Watson for whatever the number needs to be, and I'd run it back with the ross I have and hope for better health. And with better health, I think this team is way better going into you know.
Speaker 3: The postseason.
Speaker 2: What I think is really gonna happen is Cam Johnson or Christian Brown, one of the two of them is out of there, because that's gonna be how they're gonna create the wiggle room underneath the aprons to feel good about resigning Peyton Watson. And for me, that becomes all right, then what else happened? So you're gonna then be like, well, we can't really resign Tim Hardley Junior because we don't want to use the tax by Emily for real reasons and all those things. So if that's where it all starts to go, that's for me, that starts from a little a little too much sideways. And I think there is there is a world where I think if somebody called them with the exact right offer for Jamal Murray or Aaron Gordon, and it also can save them a little bit of money to retool the rest of the roster. I could see them saying, all right, let's do it. We've we've done this for I don't know what are we seventy eight years in with kind of this core together for the most part, Like we did win the title once, but if we want to win again with the Oakitch, we're gonna retool by moving one of those guys. So again, it's just it's not super likely, super likely that somebody out of Brown or Johnson goes I think. But the big yo, oh my gosh, they traded Jamal Mary kind of move, I'm not gonna take it off the table.
Speaker 1: I and I think based off how they've transacted in the past, where they've done a really good job. Just I think based off a lot of the fan bases response. I know that the fan base is frustrated with them too, but they've been able to sell these cost cutting trades as also upgrades, and sometimes it's worked out like the KCP trade. They saved the money and made a roster upgrade. Yep, that's great. The Michael Porter junior Cam Johnson trade. You can say that it was a they did an they got a good enough player back that it made financial sense without really gutting the core of the team. But you used your last best enticing trade chip to do it, and what are we doing a year later we're talking about them having a trim finances all over again, and so I don't know that you can, oh, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Hand up. I thought that was like, oh my gosh, this is a great trade, Like they saved all this money and Cam Johnson's gonna be awesome for them. I was in that camp, so like, I just want to know, like I'm an idiot like a lot of other people.
Speaker 1: I was not in that camp, but I was open mind because I love Cam Johnson. But I just thought that you needed someone who is going to be more of a definitive upgrade if you were using that trade ship. And I just didn't look at it as from yeah, the financial savings made sense, but you did that, and now we're still here a year later and you're looking to cut costs over again. So I think they will trade at least one of their starters, and I would wouldn't shock me if they're looking at that Murray and Gordon contract as these second tier type of or third tier type of star guys in the current Aprons climate. I honestly, I wouldn't predict it, but I'm like only sixty forty on both Jamal Murray and Aaron Gordon being back in Denver next season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that's fair. I will say when I wrote their off season preview, because I dove into, like, well, what did everything really work? Kim Johnson put up career high shooting numbers last year. I don't know if anybody actually knows that because, like get he's.
Speaker 3: Just like their most reliable player. By the end of the playoffs team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it felt like it was this god awful fit and everything fell apart because of that. But like he yeah, he got hurt and he didn't play a lot. He played fifty some odd games, but like he was pretty good. Like when he played his counting stats were all down, but that was his role was different, right, Yeah, but the Natzy took whatever shots he wanted and all that. But yeah, career high from the floor and career high from three.
Speaker 1: So I will say he I don't know if he osmosised it from MPJ himself, but he, like MPJ, is the like the streakiest, best all time shooter.
Speaker 3: I think I've ever watched.
Speaker 1: Where you don't trust that it's gonna go in, and Cam Johnson had some bad misses from three to two for someone who shot such a high clip. The next pick for me, it's tough. I think I'm gonna go. Yeah, I'm gonna go here the Oklahoma City Thunder. So just depending on your mile edge, on what you have their cap sheet at, like they're thirty plus million into the second apron, I don't I don't know what's not on the table for them, aside from We're not gonna move Shay Gilden Alexander. I doubt they would entertain offers for a chet Holme Grin or a J. Dub, But they're trying to figure out a way to keep Isaiah Hartenstein, and I see all the players being bandied about if you just get rid of Let's just assume they just get rid of Aaron Wiggins, Isaiah.
Speaker 3: Joe and Lou Dort. Those are all good players.
Speaker 1: Who like help make up the meat and potatoes of a rotation that is all of a sudden then reliant on a bunch of younger guys who are cost controlled. We haven't seen Thomas Sorber, We've barely seen Nicolo Topicch. There's also Cason Wallace's extension eligibility, and what do we know about ok See Keith. They tend to extend guys or trade them, so what's gonna happen there? And if you're extending him, what does that mean for like the gluttony of other guards on the word like, surely lou Dort won't be.
Speaker 3: Back then, but how are you getting rid of lud Doort?
Speaker 1: Is it declining the team option or actively trading him? Is there a chance I Saiyah Heart and Stein's not on this team next year? Is there a chance they make an aggressive play to move up because they have two first round picks. They don't have enough roster spots right now if they just wanted to bring everybody back. I don't know what the biggest move they're gonna make is. But I think we look back and this would be a big deal for oka See and we could identify, Oh they traded like or you got rid of two guys that were in the top eight of their rotation, which is not nothing.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. I've been saying four months now of their I kind of bucketed five guys as the decision points on this roster. And yeah, you could do other things like move Thomas Sorber or move Nikolotopitch if they wanted to. There's just there's no value in doing that. So when I look at it, of the three guys with team options, so Hardenstein, Dort, then ken Rich Williams, and then Aaron Wiggins and Isaiah Joe, We're both on contracts that are very tradable, but neither one could crack the rotation by the end of the playoff run. I have said two out of five are gonna be gone next year. I think it's gonna be loud Ort. I think it's just something's got to give with those contracts. Hartenstein's way too important. They don't have anything resembling a replacement for him on the roster in order. I think they could go get someone to replace him. I'm in free agency or via trade that makes a lot of sense. I'm with you, Home grind Williams SGA that none of that's happening. Sam Sam Presty if and I've learned to take a lot of what GM say at started the offseason, like in one ear and out the other. But he was pretty clear, and he's generally been pretty pretty candid and upfront where he is. David basically said, look, we're not doing this like these are our guys, and and I do like we all need to take a step back and remember I'm on the title. Last year, they were in game seven of the Western Conference Finals without Jaileen missings, Like yeah, like it's not like all of a sudden, it's like, oh man, they washed out in the first round and they're miles away like they're they're they're really really good. So yeah, so I but I'm with you. There's definitely change coming in Okay see for sure what it is, I don't know, but definitely gonna be They're gonna look a little bit different.
Speaker 1: And I would be remiss if I didn't admit I will root for nothing to happen, because they do have the option of just paying the bill for this roster like that they could They're not going to, but they could do that.
Speaker 3: That is on the table.
Speaker 1: I did want to ask you this should be a Paywalld question, but I'm not gonna make it a Paywalld question, would you trade Jalen Williams J Dubb for the number one pick in this year's draft?
Speaker 2: Oh? Probably not.
Speaker 3: I don't think I would either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am. I am extremely riskd verse. So for me, I know, Jalen Williams is awesome. Like I'm gonna take out the injury stuff this year because he he had the risk stuff to start the year and then the hamstring injuries. He's great. So for me, I don't in his contract is fine. I don't care that he's on a max deals. He earned it. Yeah, what is the Brian Windhors call it the so Yeah, I just I don't want to trade the short thing for the unknown. And I my number one guy in the draft is aj Devonsa, Like I think he's gonna be awesome. Hey, but for me, especially for the thunder Nope, not taking the chance on the potential over But what.
Speaker 1: I know, Uh, we each have two picks left.
Speaker 3: What is your next pick, sir?
Speaker 2: I'm going to go with the Clippers only because if a ruling comes down here in the next couple of weeks that like we're avoiding Kawhi's contract what happens? Like, is it that fared everybody else? Because now the Clippers could have like ninety million in cap space, Like where like where do we go? If that's what happens? What you know? I mean for me being the transaction CBA roster nerd that I am like, it's almost like I kind of wanted to happen only to see like how does the NBA handle it? But it is just again, are they gonna trade Kawhi? Are they gonna keep Kawhi? How are they gonna rebuild around Kawhi in Garland? Like what's that gonna look like? Bennick matherin super interesting? Guys are restricted free agent, Like I you know, we're four years in and I have no idea what his value is. Like it's just kind of all over the place. So yeah, it's there's just a lot of fun stuff that could happen with that.
Speaker 3: What is would be though?
Speaker 1: So let's just say, actually I wanted to ask you this. I don't know if you saw that, uh the aspiration?
Speaker 3: What was his name?
Speaker 1: A guy went to prison for fourteen is a good sentence of fourteen years now, right?
Speaker 3: Got it? Joe Samberg?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Steve Bomber's camp like wrote a note basically defaming him and like how he couldn't be trusted. I wonder if while the NBA came out and wrote things about how he basically cooperated with their investigation, and I looked at that, maybe I'm reading too much into it, and I was like, if Steve Bomber's camp is putting out these things about it, that probably doesn't bode well for what he said to the NBA then, right, And so I was curious, does this make it more likely we see it really like something that damages the Clippers. But then the way Adam Silver was talking leading into the finals, I think it was made me think, oh, they're not He's like readying us for nothing is gonna happen here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I thought it was interesting too when Adam Silver said like, we're gonna trust the facts and not the public opinion and all that, which is all right in general, that's probably how things should work, you know. That gets us in a lot less trouble if we just trust what we actually know. But I think he also I don't think what was this quote was like, but I realized, like, we got to get this thing wrapped up like this can't take months and months further, because he said the Clippers and the other twenty nine teams all need clarity on what's gonna happen with this one. So yeah, it's gonna be tough. It's gonna be one of those where if they're like they come out now and say we just couldn't find enough to convict the Clippers in the NBA court and punish them, you know, very heavily, fans are gonna scream and yell that like, oh forget it. You know, everyone's gonna tamper and it's not gonna be enough. And if they did, what how would almost rather have that? Then? Well we think they were kind of bad, so you lose the second round pick Like that's I think would enrage me and shouldn't rage people even more than the idea of like, yeah, guys, it is like we just couldn't. We can't, like we don't have enough concrete proof to punish them, And I know people won't like that, but yeah, that sometimes that's the way life goes.
Speaker 1: The other reason I like this pick too is I know everyone has them built is could they trade KAUWHI assuming nothing happens with the Aspiration investigation.
Speaker 3: Could they go I don't what is the.
Speaker 1: Incentive for them to trade Kawhi when they're not gonna have control with their own pick next year? Could they go the other way and do something? We have Kawhi, we have Darius Garland, and we have a top five pick. Are we trying to do something immediately next season? They're kind of like a like a sneaky offseason wildcard beyond the everyone's just identified, Oh is there a team that wants Kawhi? It's well, what if the Clippers want to try and win next year? Like do they try to do something semi aggressive?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think there is a chance. I think yeah, because if you're the Clippers, what good does the fifth pick after you if you're still building around Kawhi Leonard? Like it does just I mean right at Miles j may vary own who you think it should be. Most people seem to be settling, and it's probably like Eaton Woggler. He's probably gonna be a good player eventually. You know, he's ready to play right now day one. So yeah, if I'm the Clippers, it's like, does this really have a lot of value to me? Like where where do I want to go? So, yeah, I think we're gonna We're in a place where it is like I I think, how do I frame this? I think it's with the Clippers. It should be a you know, position of let's if we're keeping Kawhi. Yeah, that pic should be on the table and let's go for it. Let's let's try to go get help to kind of build us up.
Speaker 1: My pen ultimate pick I low hanging through, but one of us probably has to go here.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna pick the Bucks.
Speaker 1: They are trading a top five player, it's going to happen. What they do beyond that will be curious. I'm where it could get chaotic is are they able to move anyone else as part of that Yanni steal or in separate deals.
Speaker 3: I also think it gets fairly chaotic.
Speaker 1: I don't know what their appetite is for getting their own picks back now that there's been lottery reform. But if they decide to rope in the Blazers and this just becomes like a four or five or six team trade, that gets ultra complicated. The other thing, too, is I want to see what they prioritiz Let's say they don't get their own picks back. What are you prioritizing because you don't own your own picks? Is it players? Is it other teams's draft picks? Is it other teams as young prospects? And then Keith, I just want to see the return because I keep going through my head. You mentioned the Celtics before we talked about the heat package. I think Giannis is a transcendent basketball player, and I basically think every hypothetical package I've heard, I've come away thinking I just wouldn't give that up for him, which is so weird to think about. I want to see how much does he actively go for. And after months of hearing sectors of Bucks media and fandom say, well, Evin Moley wouldn't be good enough as a centerpiece, chet Holmgren, Shirley isn't good enough as a centerpiece.
Speaker 3: What do you think you're getting? Who do you think you're getting?
Speaker 1: So I really want to see what the package ends up being here. And by the way, the other chaotic fact would be do they just send him somewhere that he doesn't want to go? And now all of a sudden we're wondering was he even gonna sign an extension? Could next summer be super interesting.
Speaker 2: Now I think that's him play too. And I my big believer when you are the team, if player doesn't have no trade clause, yes, if you can send them somewhere they want to go in it's a good, good return, you should do it. But if it's not a good return, and this is now I'm rehashing Dame to Miami stuff from a few years ago, it is you're under no obligation to that. Like you don't think that is what you need to do, Like, then don't do it right, Take the best value for you. John Horst works for the Milwaukee Bucks ownership, and his responsibility is to them and the team and the fans in Milwaukee. It is not too just to Giannis. Because here's the thing, this, this is alright like wright in, one of the questions that keeps coming up at the end of all these is are they even gonna trade him? And my thing is it's like, well, I hope so, because they are the couple we've all been friends with where it's like, guys, just break up already, like we love to be you and we know you're always gonna like somehow you'll have fondness for each other, but just break up already, Like just go your separate ways, like everybody. Everybody at the end of the day will be happier. And you know what, ten years from now, I'll come back together and you will throw a big party and it'll be great to heavy in the same room. Like it's Janis's accomplishments aren't gonna be tarnished unless this gets ugly and it starts turning into don't trade me to Portland cuz I'm not resigning there, and it starts being I'm angling towards these one or two teams and I'm gonna make it really crappy for you with your return and all that. And I'm with you too. Is there a world too? I've even thought like do the Bucks say you know what we want? We want players who are like let's say it was Jalen Brown said it's been in Jalen Brown off to a third team. We just watched them carrying not great Celtics roster to the two seed, Like why can't just let's just keep them. Let's just try to be competitive and be be okay, Like maybe we're not title level, but but we can be okay, we can get in the playoffs and let's go. And that's that's gonna be where it's really interesting. Last thing I wrote down eight teams, we now all came off the board.
Speaker 3: Oh really, there's teams.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you had thought about teams that I would want to pick, but I just know they're not gonna be as chaotic or aggressive as they should be. And so as a team, i'll spoil it like I don't have I'm not gonna pick the Golden State Warriors. I absolutely think that they should be a team that makes this list, but I just don't trust that they're good.
Speaker 3: They're all they're all smoke and yeah.
Speaker 2: I had a Orlando, but I think the Magic are gonna say bar big change was changing the coach. We're gonna give this group another year together. I don't think they're gonna do any kind of wild moves. There's gonna be stuff they do, like they're gonna Jonathan Isaac won't be on the Magic one way or another next season, like just too expensive for what he is. They're too expensive as a team. But yeah, I don't think they I think they could get really crazy. I just don't think they're going to.
Speaker 1: So did you have another one last team?
Speaker 2: Let me look, I just this one's kind of more just off the cuff. Houston feels like something could happen there. They just haven't come together, I think the way they wanted to. So so yeah, I'll throw out the rockets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think what's interesting about them and they probably would have been my pick with the final pick, and I have one more team to go through.
Speaker 3: Is they just have to ask themselves.
Speaker 1: Were we one healthy Fred van Fleet and Steven Adams away from being a legitimate threat in the West. No, personally, the answer is no, yeah, and so they should be then, to me aggressive and you need to figure out what's the plan with Reed Shepherd. I tend to be an optimist with him, and I get made fun of all the time and mentions just for my attachment to him. I just still think he might be the answer and that he deserves more runway than he's gotten.
Speaker 3: And I know the playoffs are brutal at points for him, but.
Speaker 1: If you're not going to give him the runway, then anything should be on the table, including like our attaching picks or other salaries to him and seeing who you can get.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know necessarily what's the right player for them, But when you hear names like well, what does it cost to get I don't know whether it's Kyrie or what does it cost to get a Jamal Murray? I know those contracts are huge, but like those are probably the types of players that they need to get over that hut. Like if do Van Mitchell becomes available in Cleveland, like that's a name they should probably be looking at.
Speaker 2: Donan Mitchell would too. I think that'd be like Miami's kind of ultimate backup plan if he's available, like, go get him. So yeah, I think that's that's a good one. And then yeah, so yeah, Houston something. It feels like they're gonna do something to shake things up at least some some level.
Speaker 1: I really want to be bold enough to pick the Toronto Raptors here or even the Timberwolves. They just don't have enough stuff. Yeah, so I'm gonna go with Cleveland. I don't I'll be fairly surprised if Donovan Mitchell gets traded. I think you could talk me into literally anyone else getting moved or any other.
Speaker 3: Outcome on their offseason.
Speaker 1: The James Harden player option the next deal, How do they feel about Evan Mobley internally is dual big, So are they gonna run with that moving forward? And if not, do you look at moving Jared Allen because in theory that's still pretty nuclear, but it's less nuclear than moving in Evan Mobley or Donovan Mitchell. You need to We've been talking about this for how many years now of it is a little bit reductive, but you need to find the wing of the future or the fifth member of your current core four like Hard and Mitchell, Alan Moby.
Speaker 3: Okay, great baseline.
Speaker 1: Are you actually able to make a move that matters without moving one of those guys? And then the other thing too, is it's just kind of similar with Oka. See there's another team that projects to be in the second apron If they're gonna run everybody back, I don't know, Like Dan Gilbert has proven that he'll pay it they just did or about to.
Speaker 3: Is he gonna do it again?
Speaker 1: And if so, why if you're not changing, like you better change the roster at least if you're gonna go into the second aprin again, I would think some kind of fat I think there's just a lower chance they do anything seismic, but they kind of have the potential to like get pretty nuclear this summer too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and here's the key. They go second apron again. Now you're running into frozen picks and all the other stuff. Right, It's I like to say the second apron is like going to Las Vegas. It's when you go, it's expensive. We probably gonna have some fun, you're gonna win a little, it's gonna be great. Then you stay in the second apron too long, like staying in Vegas too long. Now it's really expensive. Now it's starting to get really painful, and you're probably gonna have a lot of like lingering things that you don't want to deal with when you get home. So so yeah, it's you stop by for a little bit, which they did, but now you've gotta be really careful that you don't don't overstay.
Speaker 3: You're welcome.
Speaker 1: We have you for about ten more minutes. Right, So am I able to ask you one or two like macro questions here? I'm very curious. I've been asking myself this question when Grant and I just talked, what do you think the trade value of first round picks are gonna be within lottery reform? And to what extent. Do you think front offices those people are still trying to figure that out and don't have their heads wrapped around it.
Speaker 2: And answer the second part first, because it's gonna help me answer the first part of your question. They don't know, and neither do I. Like it's I talk to a team this today actually this morning, where they were like, my our feeling is an organization now on first round picks is if you could go get the guy, go get them, because having all your picks is it's okay. But there's no you can't can't be bad for multiple years in a row because there's all these kind of bob what restrictions I guess for lack of a return, but there's all these failsafs to make sure you can't be in the top three so many years in a row and all those things. So I talked to a team that was like, picks are whatever. I talked to another team that's like, I don't want all my picks in the trade. It used to be, yeah, I'll bet against you being really good six seven years from now, so six seven there, I did a cheap joke. But it is like, I'm gonna been against you because so yeah, I want three first or four first and swaps in between. Now they're like, I don't know what I want all the picks from one team because if it does go sideways on you, I can't maximize my value. I'd rather have two picks from this team and a couple picks here and all that. So that that was an interesting take, And then like there is with other third teams. Thought was like, still, they're like the best unknown value currency we have in the NBA is first round pick could be anything, right, it could be the number one pick, it could be the thirtieth pick. It's a complete mystery box. And the reality is NBA gms, even when they're great, they are they're healthy egos. So it is I'm going to trust we will do it better than you, and we know better than their partner they're trading with, and it is you will make stupid mistakes that will make your picks valuable if I'm trading you with players. So I believe, just like I believed when the new CBA came in, it takes two full transaction cycles for us to really have a handle on how things are working. So when I say a transaction cycle, that is an off season followed by a trade deadline. So I think it's gonna take us a couple of years for everybody to feel like we kind of got this, which then will be just in time for them to be like, out this system.
Speaker 3: To change it. We're gonna change it again. Yeah, for the credit system, do you?
Speaker 1: And I guess I was worried about this when the aprons were first implemented, and I don't know that we saw it to a massive degree. But the uncertainty is teams are trying to figure out and navigate, well, what are about your first round picks?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Could it create relative quiet when it comes to these bigger trades and then or does the next market inefficiency become the willingness to trade your first round picks where these teams that you might not have thought had to access or the assets to go out and get these guys are one of the few teams who are actively willing to trade multiple first round picks right now. So it brings them within closer proximity to making those giant splashes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. In there this kind of goes back to and I think it's great that every front office approaches this stuff differently. Where it is. There is a like some who their belief is like, no, I want the certainty, give me the player, right, goes kind of back to your Jaylen Williams question, Right, Like, I know jaaln Williams is really good, so I want him over the uncertainty of what a draft pick might be like you know, yeah, go that way and there's it's And then there are ones who are like, Nope, like it, Like I believe I'll find wherever I pick in the draft, I'm gonna land somebody who's awesome and maybe underdrafted. And you know, now, now we're sitting on a superstar plus because there's no better value in the league than an all star level guy on a rookie scale deal. So I I think there is. I think I think the initial reaction will be a little bit of nope, got to keep them right. I can't can't move fix like, because that's just our natural reaction. Anything that's new is like you pull everything closer and keep it tighter too, you just because you don't know what is happening here in this new new world with that. So so we'll see. But yeah, I'm I'm super excited really starting now, right, we're in draft Like we're still a week and a half out or whatever it is now, but like we're in draft window now, and like we're gonna start seeing like who is valuing some of these things.
Speaker 1: The other thing I wanted to ask you, we now just have a bunch of transaction cycles with the aprons, and we know what the aversion is gonna be.
Speaker 3: The second apron. You now have the lottery uh reformation curve ball.
Speaker 1: We know what we know too about what you need to make it through an entire season, which there are many things to get into, but I think one of the biggest things is it takes depth. Now, like the top heavy teams and for the most part are just not going to survive.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Knowing all of that, do you think that there's been a there will be because we've yet to see it, a shift in team building philosophies of I've I've speculated a lot. I've heard others speculated a lot of well, you can't do the three mac model anymore. And there's some that think, well, can you even really do the two veteran max Let's say the fun maxes are a little different. I've been waiting for a negotiation or a player to be the inflection point for that. I thought it might be Daron Fox or Jaron Jackson Junior last summer.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't.
Speaker 1: Two those guys just basically got the deals that they were able to get in the renegotiating extent with Jaron Jackson Jr. Do you think that type of correction is coming or are we now deep enough in to say no, like teams aren't gonna fret too much about having the two veteran MAX type guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think it's when it comes down to telling a player, I'm not going to give you the max. There is an element of we were wrong in what you are as a player and what you would grow into being. That is very hard for teams to admit to, for lack of a better term. So I think that part probably won't change very much. I think there is still an idea of he can't pay everybody, but not everybody's worth the MAX. But I still think we're seeing teams operate with no. If we have the guy and we feel he's a MAX guy, pay him, We're gonna pay him. So I think that's there. I think the other part of what we're gonna see. Is you you touched on it is? I've been cammering at this idea of you need one hundred games of depth if you're gonna win an NBA title or contend for one. You gotta get through the regular season. We know the days of multiple guys playing eighty plus games, they're just gone. They're just not gonna and they're never gonna come back. Like it's we everybody knows the season is too long and too many games, but nobody, players and owners, nobody wants to give up the money that would come from taking away games. So everybody's Josh Hart said it better than anybody's, like, I don't want to take any less money. So that means people got to sit out sometimes. So that's what it is, right, It's kind of there. So I think it's it's on both sides, right, it's owners and players there. So I think you're gonna see it be you gotta get through. And then of course you have natural injuries, which I think is I think the silly thing about with a lot of this has gotten downplayed because you know how it is, anytime a guy misses a game, it's a load manager. It's like the dude's ankle was like, you know, like parallel to the floor like last night, like he rolled his ankle like he's legit hurt. Not everything is your load management when a player misses a game, So you.
Speaker 1: Got tough it out on it the whole, the whole reaction. Like Rick Flair I think encapsulated the best when he was complaining about Luca not being tough enough to play when he was dealing with the was that the cash strain that kept him out. It's like, these guys want to play back, Like I don't think I've you've met a few players maybe who didn't love what they do. When Andrew bidam at the question whether DeAndre Ayton likes basketball, Sure these guys aren't making the decision to actively not play. I find that entire type of analysis. So it's it's reductive. It's just like factually inaccurate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not right, and it's it's insulting, like it's really just not good. Like there's way more guys. Like the famous story with the Celtics is like when they tell Jason Tatum, you're taking a load management day, He's like, no, I'm not. I'm playing Like I want to play. And it's literally to the point where it's like we do not put a uniform anywhere near his locker room stall, Like, don't take his sneakers out of the traveling case, Like.
Speaker 3: Like his code to get in the building doesn't even work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably where it'll eventually get to. So it's yeah, I mean the guys want to play there. Yeah, there's a handful of guys like you said that you could question it about. But with that so, but that's so you need the depth, right, you need all the depth. I think what you're going to see is teams are going to be more cutthroat on the idea of even non max guys. There's always been the sense of well, he's our guy, we know how he fits, just pay him. I think those are gonna be the ones where it is we're not going to do that. Now. On the flip side, there's gonna be valuation says this is a fifteen million dollar player at twenty million, he's not a bad contract and untradable, so let's just pay him twenty because then that gives us tradable salary for whatever the next trade is down the line. You're seeing some of that already happen as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's something you touch on.
Speaker 1: There is why I'm kind of fascinating to see what does Jalen Duran get a restricted freency or what does an Amens Thompson get as part of extend because he's the only when you're looking at the rookie extension eligible players this year. Okay, Wemby five year escalator max done, literally everyone else after him, Brandon Miller, Like they're all question marks.
Speaker 3: It's what do you pay these guys? Is there anything?
Speaker 1: Is there anything else that you're like you personally are just monitoring macro micro just heading in the offseason, trying to see like what direction the league is headed in.
Speaker 2: We know them the big stuff because I think teams now have a pretty good sense of where they're at with the aprons. And it's the other thing is too there's no overarching this is what your apron strategy needs to be because for some teams it is who cares about the second apron. We're never going into the tax, so it doesn't matter like the Indiana Pacers until they do it again. We just have to assume the tax is their de facto hardcap. The Pelicans have never paid the tax. Until they do, I'm gonna assume the tax is their de facto hardcap. So but the teams that are working, like I think they have good plans for like, yeah, we can go into the second apron for a year, maybe two if we're really titled contenders, but after that it's time to reset and we got to relook at things. So it's really around the draft picks, like what's the value of the draft picks going to be? Where's it going to go? I think the draft process is a whole hole, is super super interesting. Some of it's an NBA thing, some of it's a college thing. We saw a lot of guys withdraw from the draft this year. This draft is still really really good, and it's gonna be really good players through probably the first five to ten picks in the second round. But then the depth of the draft when you get into the middle latter part of the second round took a huge hit because a lot of guys were like borderline first round pick. Well, all right, even if I squeak into the last pick of the first round, that's like three million bucks. I made five million next year staying in college, like I'll just come back and I'll play better, and then I'll be be the fifteenth pick and I'll get seven million, and you know, now, look how much better off I am. So that whole process is gonna be fascinating because eventually those guys run out of eligibility at some point, I mean, unless these kids keep suing everybody, and I'm I'm gonna go back to and figure out how I can get my eligibility back and try to play I don't know, Division three or something. But like it's like, hey, it did that part really does fascinate me. I am really excited to see where, you know, kind of how does all of that come together? But that's more of a now and like expanding out over the next few transaction cycles. What does that look like? And then last thing I'll say is the league super wide open? So why not? Right? Why not go for it? I think there are a bunch of teams that are kind of like I thun they're almost got beat in the finals, did get beat this year? Spurs probably not gonna win the title? Like all right, so they're good, Like, but why not us? Why can't we beat them too? Yeah? That's what's best for the league. I think it's best for the league when we go and with the lottery reform, I am I think they went too far. I don't think it was the problem they thought it was, But I think it's super interesting to what does it look like over the next few years where teams have no incentive to be awful? Right? You you really you can't be right. You're like, like, it's gonna be really fun in March in the beginning Party eight for watching a team be like, we're just trying to get to four. Man, Like, we gotta win these teams. We don't want to be three. We want to get to four. So so we have the extra ping pong ball because we've never seen that. Right, it's been by the time your post trade deadline, it's like, all right, the Magic are playing the Wizards tonight because it's the top nine guys in the Wizards rotation aren't playing. We all understand why, but yeah, it's gonna be a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: The one on intended consequence of the lottery format, as I've wondered, because you they're worried about you can't have a top five pick. What is it in three consecutive years, right, and you can't win the first overall pick twice yea is next year is considered a down draft, right? Could there be teams that prefer to be in the bottom three so they lower their chance of getting number one that year because they're planning on being bad the following year. So that's that's one of the nerdy things I'm tracking. But Keith, this was fantastic. Thank you so much for coming on. Can you just tell everyone where they could find you and all the great stuff that you do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and find out my written market spot track dot com. I'm deep into off season preview stuff right now. I think we've got eighteen team off season previews posts and the rest of them will be coming fast and furious here over the next couple of weeks. We are not trying to hit by the start of the NBA Draft. I'm not a crazy person. We try to hit by the start of the actual off season. My rookie scale extension projection piece post and that's always a popular one every year. And then I'm gonna have free agent previews coming. We do. We still do them by the traditional positions because most people still think point guard, shooting guard, small forward, Power Forward Center. So we're gonna out preview those with rankings and an overall top fifty ranking and then this stuff happens. Now I'll be breaking it down on the site and on our show, NBA Front Office Show with Trevor Lane and I Every Friday is a live show, and then we do live shows whenever a massive transaction. Man, So whenever Giannis does get traded as quickly as we can get in front of my.
Speaker 1: Crope, what are you gonna do if he doesn't get traded?
Speaker 3: This is like this all anti climact that we do it for the next subcard.
Speaker 2: Somebody.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Keith, thank you so much once again, and rest the shortage.
Speaker 3: You know by now I'll be pestering you again in the future.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. Thanks so much for having me.