Speaker 1: Tired of the everyday grind, ever dream of a life of romantic adventure.
Speaker 2: I want to get away from it all. We offer you.
Speaker 3: Escape, Escape designed to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: You are four hundred feet below the surface of the South Pacific, the heavy taste of chlorine gas souring your mouth, while somewhere up above you, searching through the night for you, is an enemy destroyer and on sending the submarine and you to a murky death.
Speaker 3: Listen now, as Escape brings you Richard Chandley's exciting story Pressure.
Speaker 4: November sixth, nineteen forty four, US S Amberfish S S five nine three departed Pearl Harbor for her assigned patrol area, the East China Sea. She carried eighty two men and twenty four torpedoes. She was commanded by Lieutenant Commander Daniel Hall. Her record was zero. This was her fourth war patrol. On the thirty second day of patrol, at seventeen hundred hours, Amberfish surfaced off the southern coast of Japan.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't you know it, Mac. If the sea doesn't run heavy, we get bogged. What can you find in this.
Speaker 6: What's the old man got planned for the night?
Speaker 5: Lieutenant routine? Night surface routine? You think the last line of patrol?
Speaker 7: We hold it?
Speaker 2: Hold it, are you? Boys?
Speaker 5: Captain?
Speaker 2: Evening?
Speaker 1: Sir, that's a lousy night. What speed we make in.
Speaker 5: Frank but five not, sir? One or two main engines on battery charge number, foreign propulsion position about halfway through? Assum me straight of course? Zero four or five right out has the coast of Kyushu range at approximately fifteen miles of the port beam picking up the usual fishing boats. Aside from that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean nothing.
Speaker 1: Thirty two days and nothing, four patrols and nothing, Sir?
Speaker 3: May I suggest something?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sure?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 7: What oh last night on patrol?
Speaker 8: Sir?
Speaker 6: Maybe we could go after one of those fishing boats, take some prisoners for intelligence, and sink by gunfire.
Speaker 2: We got no orders for it.
Speaker 3: I know that, Sir, but I might know us.
Speaker 5: Awesome good captain and of the patrol, and it's better than nothing.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, boys, we've got no orders that said.
Speaker 5: Yes, they're only were only what nothing, Captain? Nothing at all?
Speaker 4: Thirty two days at sea, cramped living and thoughts passed between men without being spoken. He knows what the torpedo, the executive officer, the whole crew think, Captain Hall a book commander last night on patrol, and he still goes by the book. Got to blame someone for an empty sea, for a tired ship, for bringing back a full load of torpedoes four times in a row. The Captain stares at the fog and into his own thoughts. They need officers behind desks. That's where they'll put him after this patrol.
Speaker 2: A desk officer.
Speaker 4: Just a few more hours and he's headed for it.
Speaker 5: Fog looks like it's thinning.
Speaker 1: Uh oh, yeah, what's the time?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 7: A one hundred cent.
Speaker 2: Rid This is the gunning tower, radar contact.
Speaker 5: This is bridge?
Speaker 1: What's very zero ree ree yep, yeah.
Speaker 4: It jus barely in range. It's funny looking. I don't think it's a fisherman this time.
Speaker 1: This is Captain Rader. I'll be right there.
Speaker 5: Scope's gone crazy.
Speaker 1: Can't be keep the bridge, Frank, Yes, come on man, this I gotta see.
Speaker 2: Okay Johnson, what have you got? Yes, happen.
Speaker 9: And there is sir, see it's a pip.
Speaker 4: Then it goes nothing.
Speaker 2: Scope's going crazy.
Speaker 1: Come left to course zero three three zero three three, sir, I'll stop.
Speaker 2: I'll stop there all right, Mike. What do you hear on the bearing?
Speaker 3: Nothing, sir, not a thing.
Speaker 4: Pip's gone. Nothing on the scope.
Speaker 3: Either, must be the radar cappen must be with our luck.
Speaker 2: Luck can change.
Speaker 1: Study on course zero three three, All ahead, four, all ahead.
Speaker 4: You never can tell. There have been false alarms before. The procedure is standard by the maybe one last chance to break the dull leaden monotony that smothers the boat in the forward battery the cruise quarters, another rumor, Hey.
Speaker 9: We'd picked up speed, really moving.
Speaker 1: Relaxed burg and they think they got something on the radar again, cards are the players?
Speaker 2: Come on you guys, I got a wipe.
Speaker 4: To support by ten fifteen minutes, All ahead full. The little flurry in the conning tower begins to settle, and then.
Speaker 9: Captain there it is, sir. We've got it now, sir, we've got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Man tracking stations.
Speaker 3: Just one pip and it's a big one.
Speaker 1: I don't believe it.
Speaker 4: The men run, there's excitement, no feeling of obedient drill. Even the engines sound different. In the green eye of the radar, the spot grows stronger and holds a chance, one last glimmering chance for the captain to show he's not a book, to keep his job out there in the night. Something big and fast.
Speaker 10: Two three three s motorpicks now captain, one big ship and three escorts six econs.
Speaker 2: It's still a long way off bridge. Yes, sir, you see anything, Frank.
Speaker 5: Not yet, boks God, but it's blackest pitch. Hen'll we come up to him.
Speaker 1: We'll come up to him. Just keep your eyes open when you're ring. Tell those motormacs back then. I give it everything.
Speaker 2: All I had flank maneuvering. They gloss me all I had black ther What.
Speaker 7: Do you think we got, Captain?
Speaker 2: We haven't got him yet?
Speaker 6: One ship, three escorts must be worth something to the chaps.
Speaker 2: The moon's coming out.
Speaker 11: We're getting the board.
Speaker 1: That's something on sounds. Their heavy screws buring zero four one. Frank got him on sound. Now can you see.
Speaker 5: I thank you captain?
Speaker 11: Wait a minute, yeah, yeah, I could jus the bot see a very zero for zero that's him.
Speaker 2: What do we got, Frank? What is he?
Speaker 9: A minute?
Speaker 2: Hold it?
Speaker 11: Air craft carrier coming right down the.
Speaker 1: Crow, Battle stations, torpedo make ready on tubes and stand by Uti.
Speaker 9: Standing by another sick Captain, it's coming right at us.
Speaker 2: What's the range now?
Speaker 9: Eight thousand yards? Are closing fast?
Speaker 12: Light screws on sound destroyer six thousand yards see zecho ranger.
Speaker 1: Okay, Harris Bridge, what about those escorts molving around?
Speaker 8: Captain?
Speaker 5: Looks like they know that stuff.
Speaker 11: Take it down anytime.
Speaker 1: Keep your eye on him, Frank. We're gonna stay up on the firing bearing.
Speaker 5: Now you mean on the surface for the whole attack.
Speaker 1: Are looking for something submerged. Just keep those sight bearings coming. We'll stay up as long as we can.
Speaker 11: Okay, Captain, it's your buddy.
Speaker 3: Ry mark zero four one range mark seven five double o yards set.
Speaker 8: He's right on, Captain.
Speaker 2: How much time done?
Speaker 8: Set firing point in fifteen seconds?
Speaker 7: All set?
Speaker 1: Ready to shoot.
Speaker 2: Another destroyer, Sir, Light screw's nice meat turning.
Speaker 5: This week on a destroyer coming right at us.
Speaker 2: Stand by forward bridge destroyer.
Speaker 1: I hurt you shooting observation, Come on, give it.
Speaker 2: To me, break off, Captain diving like, give me.
Speaker 1: The carrier's bearing very mark, All right, Frank Cletherbridge, get out.
Speaker 9: Here, zero four nine set.
Speaker 8: Fire dive, dive dive.
Speaker 2: Oh guy.
Speaker 1: Left full runner all I had emergency take it down to two hundred feet, all ahead of mergency, rig for depth charge, rig for silent running.
Speaker 5: Destroyer had us cold captain six hundred yards. Won't have any trouble finding us.
Speaker 12: Now, destroyer close aboard zero five zero forget the destroyer.
Speaker 2: Sound, got on that carrier. Listen for those torpedoes to hit.
Speaker 5: That's him here he comes, Mac.
Speaker 2: What's the time on the torpedo?
Speaker 7: Run seventy seconds? Hit any second?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 5: Down forty feet? Come on, get out to get out.
Speaker 7: To seventy five seconds.
Speaker 2: It should be a hit eighty.
Speaker 5: He's trying a ram.
Speaker 1: Hang on on.
Speaker 5: Missed us?
Speaker 12: He missed, Harris, did you hear her him? Did you hear anything? No, sir, I don't know that destroyer. I didn't hear anything.
Speaker 2: Missed, Yeah, we missed.
Speaker 7: Down seventy feet?
Speaker 1: All right, sound get on that destroyer. We're playing target now.
Speaker 5: So how did fat captain? Leveling off? How far at the bottom? Another hundred not so high?
Speaker 2: That go ranging, sir.
Speaker 6: He hasn't got us yet, just poking around.
Speaker 12: He's slowing down, turning toward us. Now, screws speeding up, shifting short scaled. He's got a contact here it comes. Come, we go on range. He's honest, he's dropped his charges.
Speaker 7: Three four, All right boys, five, six, seven, eight, hang.
Speaker 8: On nine, ten, time, all right, imagine for life.
Speaker 1: We'll turn on lighter, but help me with Harris.
Speaker 2: It'll turn down. The volume went right through and I get here.
Speaker 1: I get here, Johnson, Get Harris out of here, get into his buck.
Speaker 2: Find the pharmacist.
Speaker 1: Mate.
Speaker 8: Yes, keep him quiet.
Speaker 5: Those charges were right on like he looked right down at saws.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, I guess we ran into one.
Speaker 1: Expert Burgan, check all compartments, report all damage, Yes, sir mac get somebody on sound.
Speaker 8: I'll do it, so.
Speaker 5: We're in for it. Captain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just hope she stays together.
Speaker 4: A beating and for nothing. The captain tried. He had his chance. Check through the boat and pray none of the damages beyond small, quiet, repairs small and particularly quiet.
Speaker 3: After Bilge's flooding, I'll dish in but holding.
Speaker 4: It's the captain's command. Because they thought he knew his job. They let him go to sea four times with seven million dollars in the lives of eighty.
Speaker 1: Two men, Number one and two Airbanks empty diving planes, damage, losing depth control, listens.
Speaker 4: To the damage. Nothing fatal yet, but it isn't over. There's an expert up there, and he's got all the time in the world and he's going to take it.
Speaker 3: We will return to Escape in just a moment. But first, Tomorrow night on Lux Radio Theater, Paul Douglas recreates his original screen role in an adaptation of the film play Fourteen Hours. Terry Moore co stars. Also Tomorrow night, Agnes Moorehead stars in Suspense's thrilling production of Charles Dickens's Eerytail, The Signal Man. Remember on Lux Radio Theater. Paul Douglas in fourteen Hours on Suspense, Agnes Moorehead in The Signalman. Both Tomorrow Night at the Star's Address. Now back to Escape.
Speaker 4: Captain waits, waits and listens in silence. All operations are done by hand now no pumps, no motors, All necessary movement by silent hands, no air conditioning, no fans, and the temperature climbs to one hundred and twenty five degrees. The boat slants at an odd angle. A bucket brigade bails endlessly from a flooding bilge empties it forward, hoping to level the boat. A working party tries to repair the damaged diving planes.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, offs of less dressed.
Speaker 2: Oh while you get back, h how's it coming?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 2: Does it?
Speaker 13: I can't tell her. She's she's jam good. Might be able to do something. Bust your boy up there, go do the best you can, Uh, sir, but you walking back to the conning tower. Yeah, I'm on a good will to her find sir.
Speaker 4: But uh, would you mind taking your shoes off? Make a terrible noise?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sure, I'm sorry. Silence. Silence means life. Captain Hall walks the ship silently. The men smile weakly as he passes, but underneath he knows what they think. How much longer, Captain? How much more do we have to take? Captain? Is the brains? He knows, he should know.
Speaker 2: Four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten.
Speaker 4: Captain, we're gonna get out of there, saint way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jensen will get out of it. Yeah, sit tight.
Speaker 4: Captain Hall makes the good will tour, then back to the conning tower to wait.
Speaker 5: Wait the silent.
Speaker 4: Heat and sweat.
Speaker 2: The ship sweats.
Speaker 4: Too, thick heavy humidity condensing on every possible surface. Like the steel was porous, like the sea squeezing in. He's seen the men. He led them into this surface attack on the carrier. Be fast, impulse and make sure. But it didn't work. Now work hard to breathe the same foul air they breathed four six ten hours ago. He led them into this and for nothing.
Speaker 3: Turning this way, here he comes again.
Speaker 4: Not anymore, not anymore.
Speaker 5: It must be good leaking oil. That's because of the spot.
Speaker 6: The bottom three hundred feet that's so bad, it could have been four.
Speaker 2: It's the oil.
Speaker 4: That's what he sees. That's all he needs.
Speaker 2: We're not leaking oil.
Speaker 1: God is perfect. He must see something.
Speaker 2: That's enough. I said, we're not leaking oil.
Speaker 5: Captain by Jensen.
Speaker 4: Can we get off the bottom?
Speaker 2: Sir?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 1: When they get the diving planes in the shape, and when our friend clears the area, we'll get up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, sure, we'll get up.
Speaker 5: Jensen. You want something to do? Take over the sandwatch?
Speaker 4: Yes, hot, just getting awful hot.
Speaker 5: How many depth charges you think that Jap's got.
Speaker 9: Too many, sir, Just too many light screws.
Speaker 4: They're fading.
Speaker 9: He's going way off, gonna get a good run at it.
Speaker 2: Maybe he thinks he scored a bullseye.
Speaker 5: Uh huh. He's still good to make that kind of mistake.
Speaker 2: Thanks, you are a big help.
Speaker 5: Go on, kid yourself. It's too hot to argue.
Speaker 2: Captain.
Speaker 6: Maybe does he think he got us.
Speaker 2: Jensen? Can you still hear him?
Speaker 4: Just barely, sir, just barely.
Speaker 9: He's gone now, sir, I can't hear him.
Speaker 2: Captain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's smart. Lie out there and wait, see if we move. And that's the way we got to look at it.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: There's one thing he doesn't know. He gotta wait anyway. All right, settle down, you're all right.
Speaker 2: Sick so much?
Speaker 8: Should open the window. It sounds terrible in there.
Speaker 9: Shut up, shut him up, it's all right. I'm all right.
Speaker 2: You better go to your bunk.
Speaker 8: Oh, sir, I'm alright.
Speaker 2: I like it here.
Speaker 9: I wouldn't know what was going on in my bunk.
Speaker 4: Fourteen hours, fourteen hours, and the destroyer still up there and he can't be heard now. But there's a sense a feel to it, like an animal in the night that isn't seen. He's sunk subs before and knows how long a sub can hold out. The physical things, battery power, air life is gauged on those, but the men. The captain tells himself that he can hold out as long as necessary, but the men can take.
Speaker 2: Just so much.
Speaker 4: Which is worse a depth charge attack or waiting for the next one?
Speaker 2: Captain yapman? Does it diving plan? Working party? Just about complete repair? Oh what about it? Waiting for an ances?
Speaker 5: Sir?
Speaker 13: She for the party requests permission for one smack with a ten pound sledge. Well, is he crazy? You can hear that through the water for ten miles, she says, One good smack would free the plane, sir.
Speaker 2: Sound hear anything, fish, sir, Just fish out there.
Speaker 13: Captain, Maybe he has god, but the plane's working, Sir. We'd be our own boss again.
Speaker 5: Frank, you're the captain, sir. What's the difference?
Speaker 6: Don't don't let him captain here and I know you'll hear it.
Speaker 2: Sound make a full sweep?
Speaker 4: Nothing, sir, nothing at all?
Speaker 2: How came in? Does a permission? Granted one smack? Thank you? Sir?
Speaker 4: I think Plaine party permission granted one smack? Make it good acknowledge, sir, stand by.
Speaker 1: I can hear that all the way to Tokio.
Speaker 9: Echo, ranging I told you, I told you.
Speaker 1: Shut him up, stop him, sit on him.
Speaker 9: He's turning coming at us. He's dropping the way to starboard.
Speaker 2: He didn't get the range. He's not sure.
Speaker 9: He's turned away, Sir, going away at high speed.
Speaker 5: He lost us, Captain, he lost us.
Speaker 1: Then does a report from that damage party reporting?
Speaker 2: Now, Sir, Our planes works there.
Speaker 4: It's a jury rig, but they work.
Speaker 2: Captain.
Speaker 4: You think we could try to get out of here.
Speaker 5: Let's do it, Captain. We've got battery, but not much longer.
Speaker 6: If we can get up there, Sir, even if he's still there, we got torpedoes. It's better than being blown apart down here.
Speaker 1: All right, battle station surface, make ready our tubes and stand by. Surface surface surface.
Speaker 5: Thirty feet leveling off.
Speaker 1: Up periscope, stand by looking around.
Speaker 2: M hmm, this sun is just setting full sweep.
Speaker 1: Surface stand by, All tubes ready on all four engines.
Speaker 2: That's just clear. All right, Open the wrap. Let's get some air.
Speaker 4: Smell smell that old boy.
Speaker 2: Open the main induction. Start the floors.
Speaker 5: I can't see anything.
Speaker 3: We're clear nothing to port.
Speaker 6: Wait a minute, look at the sea, Captain, out there.
Speaker 5: Oil oil as far as you can see, to bree take.
Speaker 4: A big ship to put out that much junk.
Speaker 5: Frank, you see if, captain, that's why that baby gave us what you're working over. You know what it means?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see it.
Speaker 6: That's why the escort broke off attack probably went back to pick ups his survivors.
Speaker 1: What do you know, Conning Tower, that's the word. We got the carrier right for rudder, set a course for home.
Speaker 4: The course is due east to the captain. The air smells fresh and sweet. Home with eighty two men eighteen torpedoes left out of twenty four. But a captain who sinks a carrier doesn't have to worry about a desk job anymore. December sixteenth, nineteen forty four, USS Amberfish SS five nine three completed her fourth war patrol. After experiencing severe depth charging from enemy forces, she surfaced and confirmed sinking of large aircraft carrier, then set.
Speaker 2: Course for Pearl Harbor.
Speaker 3: Under the direction of Anthony Ellis. Escape Has Brought You Pressure by Richard Chandley, starring William Conrad as the captain, with Larry Thor as the narrator. Featured in the cast were Bob Sweeney, high Everbach, Herbellus, Jerry Hausner, Frank Gerstell, Kurt Martel and Eddie Firestone. Sound effects were by Gus Bays, Ralph Cummings and Jack six Smith. The special music for Escape is composed and directed by Leith Stevens.
Speaker 1: Next week, you are seated before the dials of your radio receiver listening to a faint voice from the blackness beyond, while the one who speaks with words of friendship is debating the destruction.
Speaker 5: Of your world.
Speaker 3: So listen next week when Escape brings you Michael Gray's exciting story The Invasion. You want pleasure in the daytime, Here are two things to do about it. For one, join Arthur Godfrey Monday through Friday. For another, You're welcome to CBS Radio's House Party starring Art Link Letter. Yes, Arthur Godfrey Time and Art Link Letters House Party every weekday on CBS Radio. This is Roy Rowan speaking. Remember America's forty five million families listen most to the CBS Radio Network.