Speaker 1: Big Food and on with.
Speaker 2: Cliff and Bulbo.
Speaker 3: These guys are your favorites, so like say subscribe and raid.
Speaker 1: It five stock and me.
Speaker 4: Rights on yesterday and listening watching Limb always.
Speaker 3: Keep its watching.
Speaker 4: And now you're hosts Cliff Barrickman and James Bubo Fay.
Speaker 1: So all right, roll it.
Speaker 2: How are you doing? Bobs?
Speaker 3: Okay, that's go on, Cliff, It's all right, It's all right, So far, so good. Been a busy day already. Not much Bigfoot stuff happening today necessarily, although the shop isn't very busy lately. Been just got a new display up, kind of a smaller one. Remember back in the day, this is early two thousands. I know you'll remember this, Bobo, but John Green was offering one hundred thousand dollars on anybody who could replicate the footprints that he personally observed back in the late fifties early sixties. Yeah, yeah, so that to particular his challenge, his written challenge. It was donated to the museum by the Willow Creek Museum. So I got a scan of it and we printed that out and put it up in our entry way in the museum so people can come read about the stuff that John Green personally saw and was willing to give one hundred thousand dollars away if somebody could replicate footprints under the same conditions showing the same features. A hat written, No, this one is typed. This was typed. It was official. It was definitely official. So then, of course, needless to say, nobody ever collected it. That's not to say hoaxes don't happen, of course, but nobody ever collected it.
Speaker 5: Okay, hold, I like, what are we doing right now? Is this members or is this the main episode?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: This is the intro for the main episode.
Speaker 5: Okay. At first of all, I was doing hymns out. I'm like, wait, what.
Speaker 3: Was it night yet?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, so both We're coming up on the end of the month here that if I remember correctly, don't you have to be in out of your place and in a new place by August first?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, we uh, we were out of here. Well, actually they gave me till the fourth. My walkthrough is on the fourth because it's the weekend. The first is Friday. We can't move in the new place until then, so like they're just going to refurbish it, you know, they're going to strip this place and read you the whole things like it's not it doesn't matter. Then if I'm not here over the weekend, they're not going to do anything with it anyway, So that takes some of the pressure off. Then we did a pre moved plan party Saturday. Crew Tou was out of town, so I had some of the boys come or they were going to help help move. So we uh watched UFC and kicked out some steaks and had a good time.
Speaker 2: Have you been nesting in your man cave? Dude?
Speaker 5: The man cave? I think it's getting freaking ruined. The new place. It's a one her garage and crew just bought that electric car and now she wants to park it in the garage to charge at which I get. Then she's got this big jogging machine whatever treadmill, and then an elliptical machine, and like, dude, it's like going to fill the whole thing like full. So that was gonna be my man cave.
Speaker 2: This cannot stand.
Speaker 3: Well, it sounds like you wouldn't stand. You'd be on the elliptical machine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe not the worst thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the picture, all the imagine, all the exercise will be getting by hanging out in your own man cave. So you're probably in the midst of packing everything up at this moment.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: Oh, well, crew is donepack and I still got to pack. I'm shocked.
Speaker 3: Okay, So her stuff is all in boxes and taking her stuff's taken care of, and yours is waiting to be taken care of.
Speaker 5: I got some trash bags and then just throw stuff in there in a good role.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, then I boxed. I boxed all my books up and got those into the storage unit cause we got a climate controls storage unit. I keep most of my books and stuff, and they are a lot of camping gear and chainsaws and malls and gas jugs and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Gas jugs in a storage unit, Yep.
Speaker 5: They like them in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you like them in there in case it does go up there's no evidence left.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I keep the empty ones in there.
Speaker 3: Maybe by the end of August, you'll be all situated in a new house, have a new office area, scanner, all going, podcast station, new life, new bobs. That's the hoe nice, that's cool. Are you going to be working back at the school that's coming year? Do you think or no, yep, I'm going back.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Once they get you, it's hard to let go.
Speaker 5: It wouldn't be that hard to let go.
Speaker 3: Okay, before we hop into our guest today, I want everybody to know that I'm going to be out in Ohio. This coming weekend, August seventh through tenth is the Hawking Hills Bigfoot Festival. It's going to be at the Vinton County Fairgrounds in MacArthur, Ohio. I think most of the events actually free, which is kind of cool. I think you had to pay maybe see the speakers or something. But there's tons of vendors. There's gonna be like a night hike. Apparently Tom Powell's going to be out there, a lot of other bigfoot folks, Charlie I know, Charlie Raymond and Steve Coles are going to be out there, some various podcasters. It should be a really, really good time. And of course this is the third or fourth year of the event, and it's ridiculous. Every year it keeps growing and growing and growing. It's grown so much actually, they've had to move it to a new location, which is why it's gonna be at the Fairgrounds of Vinton County Fairgrounds in MacArthur, Ohio this coming weekend. Come on out and say hi, Come on out and say whatever you want to me. If you're a pigeon, you can go at me and I'll do it right back at you. It's going to be a good time. Hopefully I'll see you out there. But speaking of Ohio, let's go ahead and talk to our guests today. Of course, we have a return visitor today. Are at the Lovely Intellent, Mark Dwerth from out in Ohio. He's the organizer of the Ohio Bigfoot Conference and a bunch of other stuff. He's a regular speaker at local events and libraries near him. He's out in the woods all the time because of his living, of course, and what let's just jump right into it. Mark, how are you doing today?
Speaker 5: Sir?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 3: Mark?
Speaker 1: What's going on? Bobs?
Speaker 2: How are you good?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 5: Thanks?
Speaker 1: Great?
Speaker 3: Thanks for coming on the show again. Mark. Has been a couple of years now, I think since we've had you on. I think what's new out in Ohio?
Speaker 1: Oh? Just the weather? I mean, it's been an amazing year here in Ohio. We had a very average normal winter which led into a very very kind of a traditional old time spring where we had lots and lots of rain going out throughout all of spring, and a very few of those really warm weekends or weekdays during spring that we've been having over the last five six years. And so a lot of people were quite unhappy that there wasn't super warm weather in the spring. But then as summer rolled around in mid July, we started hitting in the nineties again, and you know, then not getting rain. And now we're like in what I would say the dog days this summer, where it seems like every evening there's a chance of a thunderstorm somewhere around and it might rain here, might rain there, And so of course it spikes the humidities and then you have a lot of humidity in the air. No, everything's doing good. I mean, I can't be happier on this year.
Speaker 3: Well, you pretty much have your thumb on the pulse of the Bigfoot thing out in Ohio in general. Do you notice any correlation between any of these weather patterns that you're talking about and sasquatch reports. And I only bring that up because Moneymaker, when he lived out in Ohio, he would comment about these real, real hot days and how he thought that that changed the behaviors of the sasquatches and where they chose to hang out.
Speaker 1: Well, I would most definitely agree. What we find in Ohio is that if you get these real long, hot stretches of summer that depletes the water sources in the small creeks and any little feeders to any of the rivers, it forces all the larger mammals and everything to get closer to the rivers and lakes, which of course, in turn is going to force the bigfoots to do the same thing, especially if they're hunting deer and turkeys in different other wildlife that the state has to offer. So yeah, most definitely the heat the summer can play a big role in determining where they're going to be located at. And like last year when we had that big drought for about three weeks, I mean, if we did get any sighting reports, there were always by a big body of water.
Speaker 5: That's hilarious. You guys had a three week drought.
Speaker 2: I'm just not here.
Speaker 5: We'll be talking to years out here. It's just funny hearing from Ohio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the funny thing is is that we did have a three week drought, but I mean the whole rest of the of the year, especially previously to that drought, we had tons of water. So where we truly in a drought, No, we just had a three week period where we weren't getting any rain.
Speaker 3: So a lot of these dammed up rivers. Something I've noticed out here for a number of years, and I don't know why, if there's a correlation, or if there's even a real strong correlation, but it's just something I've kind of picked up, I guess over the years, is that a lot of siding reports come from right underneath reservoirs that are dammed up for whatever reason. I don't know if if it's because those river valleys underneath the reservoirs are pretty deep and you know, not a lot of people go into them because they're focused on the lake themselves, or what. Do you see that same sort of thing out in Ohio?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, most definitely, because when the reservoirs were created, they were created to make a deep fishing or boating or recreation type lake. And yes, all those little feeders that are feeding in on all the different sides, they become kind of just left, you know, left to left a pasture, and no one goes around there anymore because they're too busy up on the main body of waters. So yeah, most definitely. And plus I mean, and I don't know how it is up by by you guys, but I truly feel that the bigfoots in Ohio, they definitely follow those dry creek beds are the semi wet creek beds to and from food source.
Speaker 3: So when you talk about the food sources, have you personally observed with your own eyes signs of sasquatch foraging and can you describe them if you have?
Speaker 1: You know? And when I say foraging, I had a report back in nineteen ninety six. It was it was the winner of ninety six. It was over in Columbiana County, which is east central Ohio, and it was pretty close to an air area where there were a bunch of sighting reports. There was a bunch of vocalizations recorded and things like that. And I happened to decide to go down below this property why some other investigators were still talking with the witnesses, because I noticed there was a small trailer on the property below this property that set up on this big knoll. And when I went and talked to the lady of the property and I just simply, you know, if she had seen any prowlers around in the summer. And of course she said, oh, yeah, I saw that, sob and I told him to get off my property and I was going to shoot him with my gun. And I go, really, I go, what did he say? She goes, he just growled and walked away. And I said, well, what do you mean growl? She goes, yeah, he kind of just made like a growl sound, and he turned in when he left. He didn't leave my property toward the road. He went back into the woods. But she had no clue. But anyways, I got permission to take a look around on her property, and lo and behold, we were back on this one section and there was snow on the ground because this was February, and there was an area maybe about twelve foot diameter of an area where there was deer here, hair spread everywhere, like in this strange circular pattern. And as we were looking around, it's like, well, where are the bones, where's the body? We couldn't find anything. And then lo and behold, I see like a hoof sticking out under a like some briar bushes, and when I went to put my hand on the hoof to thinking I was just going to pull the hoof itself out, it was the whole deer. And I ended up pulling three deer from out underneath this brier patch. They were all frozen solid. The only thing wrong with them where their backs were snapped, and it was almost like these things were they were being stored underneath these briers in the snow, and that whatever had eaten whatever I mean, I'm going to say this was a deer that was eating because it was it was obviously deer hair that they were obviously having a feeding at this location, and it was just right below the property that was having all these sightings in all these vocalizations, so I assumed that that was a bigfoot doing that.
Speaker 3: As far as feeding on the deer, kind of what parts of the deer seemed fed.
Speaker 1: Upon, well, the three frozen deers, the only thing noticeable on there were their backs. Spines were like literally snapped tongues hanging out, but they had they did not touch anything on these three deer. The deer that had been consumed, judging by all the hair that was there, we could not find anything like. There were no bones scattered, nothing. It was just a totally circular, twelve foot diameter, circular pattern of deer hair spread all over the place like something had been eating. And so we presumed there was another deer that was taken and that they had eaten this one, and that maybe the critters came along and cleaned up the mess.
Speaker 3: So that this might be. Maybe you didn't notice at the time, maybe it did. When you say the back was broken on these three deer, were they broken in about the same spot or could he describe how the back was broken?
Speaker 1: I would say from the base of the neck to the to the backbone itself. It was roughly about six inches back and it was very consistent on all three of them. It looked like something got their hands on it and literally just snapped the spine.
Speaker 5: Very interesting.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo. We'll be right back after these messages. Hey, Boba, whatever happened to your gone squatch and hat used to wear and finding Bigfoot?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 5: I don't have that hat anymore. I gave it to Lauren Coleman for his museum, but I might be asking for it back because I'm getting a little nervous in summertime, getting too much so on the scalp up there now and I'm getting bip y a mosquitoes. There's not a big lush crop to fend them off. It's it's hell bobs.
Speaker 3: You don't need another hat. You just need to personalize your plan to regrow your hair. You can access treatments that combine clinically prove them an oxidal and finasteride to stop hair loss and regrow hair in just three to six months.
Speaker 5: Count me in Hymn's offers convenient access to a range of prescription hair loss treatments with ingredients at work, including choose oral medication, serums and sprays.
Speaker 3: Doctor trusted, clinically proven and reads like finasteride and monoxidil can stop hair loss and regrow hair and as little as three to six months.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it shouldn't be a chot to feel like yourself. HIMS brings expert care straight to you with one hundred percent online access to personalized treatments that put your goals first.
Speaker 3: No hidden fees, no surprise costs, just real personalized care on your schedule.
Speaker 5: For simple online access to personalize and affordable care for hair loss, ed, weight loss, and more. Visit hymns dot com slash beyond.
Speaker 3: That's hymns dot com slash beyond for your free online visit hymns dot com slash beyond.
Speaker 4: Individual results may vary based on studies of topical and oral monoxidale and finasteride. Prescription required. See website for full details, restrictions and important safety information.
Speaker 3: So, anything else happening in Ohio recently that any recent reports you've been able to follow upon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there has been a some sightings in east central Ohio over in like Columbiana and Jefferson County. The reports were a couple of them were of bigfoots crossing the road in front of cars at dusk. Another one was along the Buckeye Trail, which is a trail system that goes all throughout the greater state of Ohio. It goes around like a big circle around the state. And it was hikers on the Buckeye Trail had what they saw in a rainstorm, they heard some movement in front of them. They spooked out what they said was a large hair cover creature. Obviously it was raining quite hard with lightning and thunder and they obviously they kind of walked up pretty close to it. It must have not heard them coming because of all the storming, and it spooked the thing. The thing crossed the trail and quickly went up a hill side up an embankment, out of site, very quickly. But it scared them to the point where instead of continuing going straight, they went the mile back to where their car was parked because they didn't want to continue. And that happened. Oh, that was just about a month ago.
Speaker 3: And how did you hear about that?
Speaker 1: I heard about it because I was doing some work with someone that maintains the Buckeye Trail in the state, and he happened to see I had a bigfoot shirt on and he's like, oh, wow, cool, he said he was bigfoot. I said, yeah, I said, there's been settings around the Buckeye trade. He goes, oh, you heard about that one. I go, what are you talking about? There's the one that happened a few weeks ago over near in Harrison County. I don't want to say the name of the name of the lake. And I said, oh, really, tell me more. And you know, he sat down and we talked in he got me in contact with the people that actually had the sighting, and and yeah, because it's kind of funny because people do talk about it along that trail, but most people talk about it in a very jokingly fashion. I it's just you know, bs, there's nothing true about it. There were three witnesses on this that saw this thing, and you know, obviously it was quite large in sizing. It had scared them out of there. And you know, people that hiked the Buckeye Trail, especially that section of the state, they're not I wouldn't call them wimpy hikers because it's pretty rugged out there.
Speaker 3: Now, you have a you have a job of course that kind of puts you out in the woods all the time. You're interested in large trees in the area, and you're doing some surveys from an understand that that sort of thing. When you're out in the woods surveying these trees and recording them and what and whatnot. How often do you either encounter sign of sasquatches or stories of sasquatch from save property owners? And how do you get that how do you get that information without you know, like scaring the witnesses off.
Speaker 1: You know, and typically what it is is that you know me, I'm so excited about the tree for our trees for example, that I just literally go, you know, hog wild on these properties, you know, evaluating their trees and everything like that. But I typically I like to wear bigfoot shirts when I'm out in the woods. So I might have an NABC shirt, I might have an Ohio Bigfoot conference. I might have a you know, a Bigfoot and Beyond pick. And of course then I get these property owners. They'll say, hey, I noticed your your shirt and I'm like, oh, yeah, yeah, that's cool. And he goes, oh they have museums like that. I'm like, oh yeah yeah. And I tell him about it and everything like that. And then then of course they get around to saying, hey do you do you really think these things are are legitimate? And I look at him, I said, well yeah, I said, I I pretty much can guarantee you they exist. And he they look at me, they goes, well, just so you know, my brother who lives over you know, over in tim Buck too. Let's say he likes to come and hunt my property and and you know, and when I when he was up in his tree stand, you know, he comes, you know, comes back a couple hours later, he looks as white as a ghost. I said, what's going on? He said, And what's going on? What's wrong with you? He goes, you ain't gonna believe what I saw. And he, you know, explains, you know, this huge eight nine foot tall bigfoot, you know, walking within twenty feet of his stand and even seeing them up in the stand like he knew he was there, and it scared the guy to death. And you know, and he said, I used to make fun of my brother about it all the time, not believing him because I never heard any stories. And he goes, after talking to me, he's going to take it more seriously. And that's just one of them. That was over in Kashoktan County. Then I had one where over I believe it or not, in northwest Ohio, like up near Defiance, which is like in the flatlands of the state farmland where you know, a woman and her husband and I was on the land, said yeah, you know, two or three years ago, you know, we were coming up to this Blanchard River area over here, and there were five very discernible, five toed footprints when came up on the bank of the of the river. And then it went back down into the river and she said there, Yeah, there are five tracks there, and you know they were probably you know, fifteen sixteen inches in size, and so yeah, I mean I do get I do get people commenting all the time, and so, you know, people are seeing things, they just don't want to talk about it or they don't know who to talk to about it.
Speaker 3: It seems like the general attitude in Bigfoot has changed a lot over the last fifteen years, where people are becoming more and more comfortable speaking about encounters. But do you think that Ohio is maybe lagging a bit in there because it is a Midwestern state, I think, technically right, and people don't expect sasquatches to be in Ohio.
Speaker 1: You know, I could say yes and no, but I think that because of the conferences like the Ohio Bigfoot Conference and some of the other events in Ohio, I think the public awareness has gone up to a point where now it's over saturated, which now to me leads leads to having should I say, highly diluted data. And because you know, and I'm sure you see it all the time, Cliff Bobo, you guys see this all the time where people want everything to be a bigot, and when they get the bigfoot pill in them, that's all they think that everything's legitimately a bigfoot and unfortunately, you know, I'm the one that has to tell them it isn't. And you know, obviously sometimes they're not happy, but it's to their benefit. But you know, I would have to say it's in Ohio. People are a little bit more acceptable than they were, say twenty years ago. But there's still the skeptics, of course, and I hope there are because I think we need skeptics.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So when you say highly diluted data just because it's a lot of wishful thinking, is that what you mean by that? Mostly?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think people think everything they that has happened around them is bigfoot. And they're claiming these tree structures are bigfoots. They're claiming this sounds a big foot, yet they didn't record it. They're claiming that the overlapping bear tracks are bigfoot tracks. Because all they're waiting for is for one so called bigfoot investigator to say that he thinks they're bigfoot tracks. So they just go from investigator to investigator to investigor until they get what they want. And I hate deluded data. I'd rather have a data set of fifteen great reports than a thousand reports where five are only good in the rest or garbage.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, that's one of the things that's always really I guess pushed you touch upon something here that has always put Ohio in the forefront of bigfoot research, and that's the sheer number of bigfoot researchers in Ohio. I mean when people look at say the BFROO database, or you know, any of the online databases. I know, when they come in the museum, they're very often quick to point out that Ohio has a whole lot of reports. And of course that has to not only correlate with the number of sasquatches and people overlapping in their similar habitat, but also the number of bigfoot researchers willing to listen and record. I think that's probably still true even with the proliferation of the subject through you know, all the all the various places in the United States and North America, et cetera. But Ohio just has a ton of researchers who are out there quite often. Do you think that that trend is continuing or you think other states are catching up or what do you think's going on there?
Speaker 1: Well, I think Ohio as long as I've been in this field, I initially got in, did my first interview with a witness in nineteen eighty nine, kind of got active in the research per se in ninety two, then started researching with Don Keating in ninety five and it went crazy. But even back then, there was a good amount of bigfoot researchers, even in the mid nineties in Ohio. And it continues, you know, obviously to this day that we have a trend of lots of small groups of bigfoot people going out doing their own thing. They have their own social media presence, and they are obviously like promoting, promoting awareness and everything like that. So yeah, we continually have interest in this state. Some states don't have hardly any at all, and I'm not sure why.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's one of the things about Ohio. I guess that really, like I said, puts it in the forefront of this bigfoot research thing. But also, it can't just be a sociological thing. It can't just be a demographic thing. But there's people who are interested in it, there has to be something else about it. What is it about Ohio? In general. That makes it so conducive for sasquatches and.
Speaker 1: Resar and I think, and I call Ohio it's broken up in four sections. You have the northeast part of Ohio, which is where I live, that's going to be somewhat wooded. As it goes to the toward Pennsylvania, gets more wooded, more swamp land, a lot of water, a lot of green, and as you get farther east toward Pennsylvania, a lot less population. Then you go southeast to Ohio, which is your kind of your Appalachia foothills, which obviously heavily wooded, lots of reservoirs, lots of water, lots of deer, everything like that. And then you have southwest Ohio, it's going to be those big sprawling river valleys that feed the Ohio River that have lots of agriculture mixed with rolling hills in heavy forest. And then of course you have northwest Ohios which is the old Black Swamp, which is oak and hickory savannahs which were like open plain growing trees with massive amounts of swampland and just soil so fertile that anything can grow in it. And so it's kind of a strange state. How you can go around the whole thing and get all four things. Well, then we got Lake Erie on the top, Ohio River on the bottom. I mean, the one thing for sure with Ohio is why we have so many reports is we get a ton of rainfall. We have a ton of water. We have a ton of oak hickory type forests that produce masts on the forest floor to feed everything. Bigfoots like eating deer an other small game. If there's food on the floor for them to eat, there's still going to be around. The bigfoots are going to take advantage of it. And then of course, you know, then of course you just have the unbelievable lack of natural predators. I mean, it's not like we have lots of cougars in the state. We might have a few in the southeast section. We don't have packs of wolves. Our biggest predator might be some packs of coyotes, and they're not going to be able to take down a healthy deer. They can take down the week and old ones, but not like big feet can. So I think it's just that perfect combination of everything that gives the big fits the perfect type of habitat and being at the foothills of the city of the Allegheny's appalachis whatever you want to call it. Most of the food grows down on those lower levels as opposed up in the high higher altitude. So you just we just have a lot to offer. But Ohio, our deer population is insane and it's quite it's we have some monster bucks all throughout this state. And and and like I say, just for the years and years of not having a lot of natural predators. I mean, the deer are huge here. I mean we have we have state and world records here.
Speaker 5: How big are the big white tails in Ohio? You know, like the big bugs.
Speaker 1: I know, Coyote was telling me some of them are dressing out two hundred and fifty pounds. Oh geez, yeah, I mean, and some non there's a non typical that was taken over in like northwest Ohio and the farm country. It I mean, it's it's booming. Crockets scores like a world record. And if you just google it Ohio, like world record deer, you'll see and and I mean this hunting season, this or the last hunting season that happened, I'm always seeing I'm following people and they're taking sixteen eighteen twenty twenty two point bucks with huge wide racks on them, you know, dressing out the deer one hundred and eighty one hundred ninety two hundred, two hundred ten pounds, big big deer. And you know, like I say, the big deer live long when they don't have a lot of predators to work, you know, to worry about.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and beyond with Cliff and Bogo will be right back after these messages. Now, I have a couple of questions of historical stuff in Ohio, and that's because you know, obviously Sasquatches being regular old animals that their habitat driven, you know they're going to be found in appropriate habitat. And I'm assuming that most of the reports in Ohio come from the eastern part of the states, the state rather and probably increasing a little bit to the south as well, when you get down to those particular areas, you know, the bordering West Virginia and all that sort of stuff down there. And there's probably only a few reports I'm guessing from the northwest corner, but as of now, about thirty or a little a little bit more than thirty percent of Ohio is forested. A little pre research getting ready for the interview, I found that at some point because of deforestation, I think that it peaked in the nineteen forties. Only twelve percent of the state was forested at that time, like in the nineteen forties, at some point early nineteen forties. So now we've had sixty seventy eighty years of regrowth. Can you see any reflection of that in the sighting reports, like perhaps in the eighteen hundreds that were more than the first half of the twentieth century it dropped off, or can you see any evidence of that in sighting reports or has it been pretty steady for all this time.
Speaker 1: No, it's most definitely had the effect I think at the top of the nineteen hundreds, nineteen oh nine, nineteen ten, because they were cutting down all the trees for the furnaces down in southern Ohio to burn. And I think what got to the point by the forties the deer population there used to be elk in our state and everything was gone. There was hardly anything. And it's weird because, as you know, the good thing with Ohio is there's a lot of people with a lot of money that lived here at one point of their lives that left endowments to preserve parks, preserve you know, forested lands, valleys, things like that, waterways. So over the years, and with some a broad scope objective to bring Ohio's forests back, you know, say starting in the forties. By nineteen seventy five, all of a sudden, we were starting to get a lot more forest cover. And like Cliff you said that the forest covers twelve percent in nineteen forty, it was probably down to six or seven percent in like nineteen ten, nineteen fifteen, so it was almost totally gone. So when you take all that forest away, you take all the game away, you talk any predators away. If there were any bigfoots around, they would have to isolate themselves in those small pockets, and even that might be risky. So I think we had a time period where there was hardly anything until about the late sixties early seventies. And it kind of kind of correlates with when deer started coming back into human eye. Like in the seventies, if you saw a couple of white tailed deer that was considered huge, like, oh my god, I saw it. Saw two deer. Now they come up to you and stalk you as you're walking your neighborhood. So there's so many of them. So yes, the forest cover has been huge for bringing back bigfoot population numbers, citing report numbers, you know. And like one thing that I always thought was when I first met Don Keating in ninety five, ninety four, ninety five. I mean I talked to him on the phone before, but meeting them in person, and what really kind of shocked me was the fact that all the the majority of the bigfoot sightings in our state, you could literally correlate them to the number of deer taken in deer season by the counties. So the most reports were coming where the most deer were taken. So the bigfoots like us wanting to hunt deer, were also hunting the deer too, And it was you know, obviously showing them the statistics that that's what they were doing. They were following water, shelter, food source, and that part of east central Ohio was the place to for sure that had the most of it at the time.
Speaker 3: A lot of people forget because we're we're trapped in our modern day society and whatever else but people forget that Ohio was once the frontier, you know. I meaney, over ninety percent of the state was forced at one time. I mean, that's a tremendous amount. And people would move out to the wild West, and at that time that was Ohio, you know, So it was just a resource rich area. Now we mentioned deer in general, you also mentioned sasquatches seeking small animals and whatnot to eat as well. What kind of vegetables so to speak, resources are there from tree like nuts and fruits, like what kind of wild things are growing out there for sasquatches to take advantage of acorns galore?
Speaker 1: We have about fifteen eighteen native species of oak trees that are heavy producers. They're going to like the white oak family better. It's a better tasting acorn, so I would presume since the critters like it better, bigfoots will probably be the same way too. Hickories. We have multiple species of hickories that produce a lot of a lot of food for the ground. Beech nuts get produced by the big beech forests in our state. And then of course we have wild onions. You have all different types of wild vegetables that grow all throughout our our ecosystem here, including some very rare ones too. But of course we also have to throw in the agriculture. We have plenty of produce farms in this state. We have plenty soybean, corn, you know, wheat, et cetera. Is being grown all around all the time. So there's all this food source available for everyone. And it's just you know, truly benefits something like a sasquatch because you know, if they can't catch it deer, they have other things to eat until they can catch it deer. And like I say, Ohio has a lot of deer, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Ohio's resource rich. It is researcher rich. Is that why there's so many conferences you think out there? Because I can off the top of my head there's three or four plus there's all these library gigs I hear about it all the time going on out there. There's just a lot of bigfoot activity in general in Ohio, which kind of guess, I guess dovetails into the end of this topic of the sheer number of conferences we're looking at nowadays. I mean, the Ohio Bigfoot Conference has been around for quite a while. This course started before you got your your gloves on it. Don Keating was kind of the guy pushing that forward, and you've brought it into central focus for everybody by doing a great job over the years out there in Salt Fork State Park. Let's let's talk about the sheer number of conferences and their success and why that would be true.
Speaker 1: Well, I think, for one thing, I remember years ago people saying, oh, I wish there were more big Foot conferences. In my reply would be, I do too. People just need to do them, and a lot of people were afraid of the task to set one up and how to do it when it's really not that hard at all. And you know what, I just say this, if you have a good wooded area, you have a good venue, and and you're you're going to attract people. Because the one thing Bigfoot does that a lot of other like nature subjects don't do, is attract kids and families. And when you can get the kids and families involved, or get the communities involved in it, because you know, you see a lot of the newer conferences they're hosted by like chamber of commerce or small cities, small townships where they are they're the ones hosting it. And they just invite people out to have a good old time in an outdoor street festival, you know, with vendors and food trucks and just the local businesses where Bigfoots want to say the subject matter part of part of the event, and which attracts people to the subject and you know, bigfoot is. In my opinion, I think you could do conferences in every state and I think they'd all do well as long as they're promoted well and you have a good lineup of speakers at least, you know, some keynotes and then some locals. A good mix is always good. And I just think it's just the sign of times that Bigfoot's become so popular that you know, people are taking advantage of it.
Speaker 3: Your conference, the Ohio a big Foot Conference has been got a nice mix of kind of both those things. I mean, you do have the support of SALTFORLK State Park. Of course they love having you there, and there is an additional fee to hear the speakers. But you have an open vending area. I know this weekend, this coming weekend, I'll be out there at Hawking Hills that's largely an open festival sort of thing. Like last year, I think forty fifty thousand people showed up to the town of Logan. This year, they've moved the location. It's going to be a different situation, So we're going to see how well that success translates over to the new format. But that combination of kind of a private and public event sort of thing seems to work out really well. And now you've taken up the banner and are now helping to organize. Is it the first New York Bigfoot conference or what's going on with that?
Speaker 1: The first New York big Foot conference. It's in Johnstown, New York, which is right on the like the foothills of the and Orantick Mountains. It's my friend Loretta Collins, you know, wants wanted to do at an event, and I told her that, hey, I'd be glad to help you do it, and so we so, you know, through her and and reaching out to different people, we have a you know, a great lineup of speakers. The event's going to be October fourth, twenty twenty five at the it's like the Johnstown Gloverville Holiday Inn. It's at very nice meeting facility with lodging right there, and like I say, it's within like fifteen minutes of of you know, the foothills of the of the and Orantick Mountains where there's been a lot of historic Bigfoot sightings. And you know, I think we have coming in. We have you Cliff coming in, we have doctor Jeff Meldroom, we have doctor estabund Sarmiento, we have Adam Davies coming in, we have Renee Holland coming in from Finding Bigfoot in and then of course I'm going to be the MC for the first year for her, and it's going to be a you know, a great event, you know, and we're trying to keep it pretty scientific this year. We're trying to get to a lot of people to want to come and learn more about Bigfoot and more about you know, the scientific aspect of it, you know, as well of course of course about all the sightings that from the area, because there have been plenty of them, and you know, I would encourage you to go to the New York big Foot Conference on the Internet or on Facebook and check it out, and you know, and and to tend it would be great for a first event, trying to get it off the ground, and you know, like I told Loretta, you know, it'll take a couple of years to build the event up to get it to where you're just going to sell out all the time. But the first year is always going to be a struggle, which I would think, And but it's going to be a great event nonetheless.
Speaker 3: And I'm aware of one other vent. There's something up in Whitehall, right but other than that, I'm not so sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a Whitehall Festival and it's more of like an outdoor type festival, and you know, I've never been to it. I heard it's a really nice event run by nice people. I think. I think Steve Coles is involved with it, and maybe Paul Bartholo. I think that's say pronounce it. And but it's a very nice event run in Whitehall and stuff like that. And like I say, we were just looking to try to, you know, do just a much more of a conference than say an outdoor event. And even though we will have some outdoor vendors at the New York conference, you know, in October, but like I say, there's other than those that and and I know that there's one in New Jersey done by Cryptid Promotions, which is a good event. But other than that, there isn't a lot there, and you know, I thought, you know, like maybe we can get more people to come out of the woodwork and talk about their encounters out there. We're doing a town hall on Friday night before the conference. It's free and open to the public, and we're looking for people from New York, Vermont, a those surrounding areas would come forth and tell about their encounters.
Speaker 3: Now, of course, you've been at as a successful event for quite a while, for many many years out there that sult fork the Ohio big Foot Conference. So you're taking some of you're going to model I'm assuming the New York stuff after the Ohio event, I assume, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, of course, because I think the Ohio event is a great success, you know, in terms of being an educational type event. I mean, like I said, I'm i and I've known you guys for years, and I'm big on educating people on not that Bigfoot exists, that that there's a lot of data out there that will maybe sway you into the way to think, hey, maybe there is a possibility of these things being real, because I think that you shouldn't say they exist until you've seen one, or until you've had some kind of encounter that's changed your life and then you can go into that wagon, and you know, so you try to educate them as much as you can.
Speaker 3: So with all the year, all the years of running the Ohio big Foot Conference, what are some of the memories stand out to you about some of the maybe perhaps great successes if you can label them that from the conference itself, maybe things that you've learned, or special speakers that you've had in attendance, or just surprises that you walk away going well, that was rad.
Speaker 1: One of the best ones was seeing Robert W. Morgan show up to the event and see Bob Gimlin for the first time. It must have been like thirty years and to see the two of them talk, hug, shake hands, take photos and just chat with everyone was amazing. Also when Lauren Coleman was there one year, Tom Page came and having Tom Pager and Bob was there that year too, and it was just such a And so we inducted Tom Page in the Ohio Bigfoot Hall of Fame and of course he was very you know, teary eyed over it and emotional because you know, he knew that he had a lot of contribution to the subject from the sixties and the seventies, but you know, now for him to finally get recognition for it, I think him and his wife thought it was very special. And you know, and that's the thing I like. I like to see people happy, and you know, seeing the looks on people's faces, like, you know, I'd never forget this one time, you know me because I'm running around everywhere in that place while the event's going, and I walk into the front lobby area, just coming around the benin and I look over on the chair and there's Bob Gimblin's there. And Bob had got in maybe two hours ear and it was Thursday night, I think, And as people were coming in, Bob would get up and say, Hey, are you folks here for the fro the Bigfoot Conference?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, well I'm Bob Gimlin. I'd like to thank you for coming in. And he would sit there and just thank people for coming to meet him on his own accord, on his own choice. And to see someone like that, I mean it just I knew what a genuine person he was, but that just like, you know, hit the nail home. I mean, like, wow, what a person. Then, of course, you know, I you know, not to float your boats or anything, but like you know, finding Bigfoot, that you guys coming. I mean, I remember the first year you came. I remember the first year Bobo came, where an A came, Matt came. I mean, just just amazing to see the people respond to people they see they saw on TV. They respected, and you know what I think. I think twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen, and even twenty seventeen were some pretty special years. And you know, those are things I'll never forget. I mean, just just that. And of course the kids all watching kids come and now they're young adults, and some of them now have families of their own, and they're coming back. That's amazing.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo will be right back after these messages. We do have a lot of listeners who were perhaps kind of new to the subject, or they're civilians so to speak. They're not lifers that just enjoy the subject. They're ficionados. So can you tell us briefly for their sake, who Robert Morgan is, and then of course Tom Page.
Speaker 1: Robert was known in the nineteen seventies to be doing bigfoot research out in Washington State. He was He's originally from Seabring, Ohio, and he was out there actually trying to hunt bigfoot and actually, you know, obviously attain a specimen to prove that these exists. And he had been doing research in Ohio before and after he you know, went out west and he did research for people like Don Keating, I think even Matt Moneymaker he did some research with in the state. And you know, he wrote multiple books about the grassman I guess are what you call the forest people, I think he called them. And you know, he's kind of a legend in the community. If you watch some of the old documentaries from the seventies, you will see Robert Morgan's in a lot of those. And so let's just say he's kind of part of the old Guard. And yet to this day, even though you know he's not in the greatest health, he's still around.
Speaker 2: That guy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Of course in the old documentaries he stands out forbody else because he is like Cubol Bold, completely bold. And so if you have seen any of those nineteen seventies documentaries, that he stands out in that sort of way. Tell us about Tom Page, of course.
Speaker 1: Well, and then Tom Page was one of the secret funders of the Tom Slick Expedition. Tom had access to a lot of equipment I believe, including helicopters and things like that that helped fund these expeditions out in the Pacific Northwest that were headed by Peter Burn, John Green to hind In all the famous bigfooters that we've learned to know and read about. And Tom was kind of the guy that was behind the scenes, you know, help funding it and help, you know, help this success of the event. And a lot of people didn't know anything about Tom Bage too many years later after Tom Slick died and things like that, and so and here lo and behold he lives in Youngstown, Ohio, which was like amazing and uh. And then he reached out to me before one of the conferences and asked if him and his wife could come down. I'm like, you guys, you guys got free seats, you got free dinner, you get if you need travel money, it's it's on me. And so they came down and they were the nicest, most humble people. And you know, Tom passed away a few years back, but but it was an honor to know him, an honor to meet him, an hour to honor to hear his stories, like about slick about Patterson. You know he like the Patterson's book company. Tom Page, I think, is the one who funded the money to get the get his first book printed. And so you know, Page had a lot to do with a lot of things. And like I say, he was a very nice and humble man. And he didn't sit there and shoot off his mouth saying Bigfoot's real. This is that you No, he was interested in the science aspect of the creature and wanting to prove that these things do exist.
Speaker 5: For people that haven't been with us very long. Mark was our guest on episode one ninety one and he went through a bunch of that kind of stuff, the history with like Don Keating and Ohio history and all that. It's pretty interesting.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: What episode are we on now? I don't know, Matt Brewoit, do you know that number?
Speaker 2: This will be episode three hundred and twenty six.
Speaker 1: Wow. Who that's a long run.
Speaker 4: And there's about one hundred and fifty bonus episode so we've done a lot in the last six years. But I love the conversation we had with Mark the first time. Mark's and the audience loved it too, So very glad to have you back. And while I can toot your horn here again, like I love the Ohio Conference. It's absolutely one of the best experiences every year. The fact that you've got it laid out in such a way. It's such a beautiful place, but everybody's under the same roof all the speakers and the attendees. It's just an awesome weekend. So thanks so much for all the hard work that goes into that every year.
Speaker 1: Oh I appreciate all you guys helping support and promote it because it takes a group effort to make something special.
Speaker 5: I know people were pretty stoked when I heckled that one year when I was giving my talk.
Speaker 1: I'm, oh, yeah, you know, they love that. I got some good Bobo stories, but I guess we'll save that for another time.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know you got one that we can tell into four or five minutes.
Speaker 1: I do have one. The last time Bobo was out, we left the lodge on a Monday, obviously to take him to fly out. I think his fight was about six o'clock in the in the in the evening so as we're driving out of the park, I'm like, well, Bobo, are you hungry? And I looked over and he's already passed out. And I literally drive two hours up to Cleveland, and I stopped twice to look at a couple of trees that I knew about, and the whole time he just kept sleeping right through it. I left the car running both times when I learned to look at the trees with the air conditioning on. And then we continued on and I finally get back up to like the Greater cleven every close to the airport, I'm like, you know, like, Bobo, are you hungry? Just let me sleep a little longer?
Speaker 5: Dude like that.
Speaker 1: So I go, I'm going to go for a hike. I park over near Berea Falls, which is an area I like to park to go hike. And I said, I'm going to go for I cool, go have fun. And he falls right back asleep. The windows are open and everything. I hike an hour and forty five minutes there and back come back, he's still hanging halfway out the car, sleeping away as people are coming and going everywhere. And then then of course it's like, are you hungry, and he finally said, okay, we'll go get something to eat. We went and had Mexican He barely ate like five bites. And then I take him to the airport. And then let's just say that when his flight was getting ready to leave, he gave me a call. He says, hey, thanks for everything. He says, Oh, when I was in the bathroom, I took a good number two. It was awesome. And that was it. But no, uh, it was it was funny. I mean, just for the fact that I never saw someone sleep that long in a car.
Speaker 5: I didn't sleep the whole weekend.
Speaker 2: That was well.
Speaker 1: And and that's and that's and that's the truth. And and I understand you just finally had had an opportunity to sleep and you literally just sleep slept for five hours in a car, and it was It was hilarious. And you know, like I say, we always wanted to have you back. Everyone I was always asked me, what are you going to get Bobo Beck, I said, you'll have You'll you'll have a better chance having a class a sighting than that.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, just look at Bobo. You can tell he gets a lot of beauty sleep.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, of course he needs it, like, you know, fifteen hours a day, I guess so, uh No, I mean you know, like I say, I just appreciate all of you and everything that you've done for the conference. So it's it's been. It's been a it's a great run. And uh I'm glad you guys enjoy it.
Speaker 5: When's the last sighting out of Salt Fork State Park? Because that place goes off. I mean I've never seen one there, but I've heard him there.
Speaker 1: There was a sighting like within three or four miles of there, maybe in the last few months, and it was your real a typical you know, the guy was walking back to a creek to fish or something and he saw something out of his corner of eye step behind a tree and then he you know, heard something walking away or skid and he could see like the outline of it, but it wasn't a real definitive one. Let's say, you know, the biggest problem with that bobo is that Salt Fork because everyone goes there to Bigfoot. That means everything is Bigfoot, and with all the hoaxed videos that come out of there, where people just have their brother dress in a suit and you know, they film from up on a ridge and say, look, see there's Bigfoot at Salt Pork. It's like, it's crazy, all these hoaxes that go on. So you have to really really filter it down to only the real good data to even get anything legit. And not that there isn't legit things that happen, it's just the problem is when you have thousands of people looking for Bigfoot there, you get all this misidentification.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I met like someone like that you knew or like, you know it was a legit one, because I know there's times of be I mean, there's it's it's just the most squatched place in the in the world.
Speaker 1: It could be. It could be. It's you know, and if you look at that part of the state and and you know, and I've hiked everywhere through there, from lake to lake, all the finger lakes up there, there's so much water and so much forest cover that if I was a Bigfoot, that'd be the part of the state I'd be living in because I'm convenient to Pennsylvania. I'm convenient to the corner of West Virginia and the Ohio River Valley, and right then and there you have a confluence of everything meeting, and it is fricking squatchy as heck down there, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: You've built a lot of memories for a lot of people in Ohio, and now you're starting in this new chapter helping out with the fledgling New York Bigfoot Conference. And I think it's just going to be a hit man, because there's really not much going on as far as conferences in that specific area. There's a whole bunch of bigfoot reports and the cat skills in general, including you know the famous and New York baby footage for example, that wasn't that far far away from there. I'm really looking forward to this event and seeing how it grows and matures over the next decade or two. I mean, goodness knows how what kind of legs this conference is going to have. It could be around, could be one of the longest running ones ever for all you know. Because it's not too far from the city, right.
Speaker 1: Well exactly, it's probably a few hours from New York City, but it's out in the beautiful area. And like I say, I think a lot of people I notice on the Facebook page, because there is a Facebook page New York Bigfoot Conference, a lot of people are asking, well, what is the what is the admission fee costs? Well, the cost is to go see the speakers. There's gonna I'm We're going to have like a specialty door prize raffle with some really cool donated and rare Sasquatch and Bigfoot related items for people to win. And you know, but and of course you know, uh, it gives them you know, exclusive you know, seating to see all the lectures and everything like that, because like me, when I go to go to a Bigfoot event, I want to see all the lectures and which I never get to do it at my own events. So when I do go to them, that's what I do. I go see the speakers. I want to I want to learn. And if if folks want to learn on the New York Bigfoot and all the Northeast you know Bigfoot settings, you know, this is gonna be a good step to start at. And I think you should give it a chance and see what it's like, because it's going to be great. I guarantee that, Oh I would one hundred percent agree. I mean, and of course we have doctor Meldrum, we have doctor Sarmiento speaking. I'm going to be there. Rene is kind of come as well and talk to us about some stuff. And Adam Davies a lot of great speakers, great people, a great location. I think it's going to be a great event man. Yeah, oh yeah, it is. It will be. And like I say, we just got to get more people to say, hey, I want to come to this event. I mean, this is the time to get your tickets and get your rooms booked and things like that. And you know, like I say, people trust me, show up. You won't be disappointed.
Speaker 3: And that's October third and fourth, twenty twenty five, the New York Bigfoot Conference. And for all the information you need, go to NY Bigfoot Conference dot com ny Bigfoot Conference dot com for the New York Bigfoot Conference on October third and.
Speaker 2: Fourth, or click the link in the show notes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, or do that all right, folks. That's another episode done this week for Bigfoot and Beyond with our special guest Mark to Worth. Check out those links below. We appreciate you all listening. Hit like, hit Share, give us a five star review if you don't mind, we appreciate it, and until next week, keep it Squatchy.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to this week's episode of Bigfoot and Beyond. If you liked what you heard, please rate and review us on iTunes, subscribe to Bigfoot and Beyond wherever you get your podcasts, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram at Bigfoot and Beyond podcast. You can find us on Twitter at Bigfoot and Beyond that's an N in the middle, and tweet us your thoughts and questions with the hashtag Bigfoot and Beyond.