Speaker 1: Stephen Presley joins us and we're gonna talk a little bit about NBC budget cuts and who's getting blamed for it. You can follow Steven on Instagram at thunder Pop TV, same thing on YouTube. Give us the story on this. First, I didn't know there were budget cuts at NBC. And two, why is Michael Jordan getting blamed for it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: How does it get to back to mj So, Yeah, there's been these cutbacks this summer at NBC. For one thing, they're canceling shows with a following, like the actual seemingly popular shows. The Night Court reboot got slashed, Lopez Versus Lopez, which is the George Lopez vehicle. Also the new Suit reboot Suits.
Speaker 1: One in Hollywood or LA or something they got canned.
Speaker 2: Suits La got canned.
Speaker 3: A lot of shows people thought were doing well being canceled by NBC because of the budget cutbacks and speculation as the Internet started to connect the dots was going back to their NBC. Their NBA rights deal that they made. That's a two point five billion a year deal they made to get NBA back on NBC and along with that they inked to deal with Who would have thought Michael Jordan doing television that's not commercials, doing as it coming on being a participant in the NBA pregame show that they're going to be doing this year. He's going to be a contributor. So the big money they paid for Michael Jordan for getting him to come on board because Michael Jordan, listen, he doesn't need I don't think he needs the money. I think he's hurting for the money. So they had to pay him pretty good to get him to leave the house.
Speaker 2: I'm sure.
Speaker 3: So a lot of people are speculating the combination of the NBA rights and getting Michael Jordan. Paying that big money for Michael Jordan has led them to have to make these cutbacks, and.
Speaker 1: NBA basketball ratings are just going down, down, down. People love the pregame with Chuck with Charles Barkley and Shack, but they're not watching the games.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I mean in general, like everybody wants to double down on sports because it's one of the only things people watch.
Speaker 2: In real time anymore.
Speaker 4: Correct, But I didn't know the status of the NBA or they're just not enough big stars.
Speaker 1: Since can you tell me who's in the NBA? Can you tell me who's in the finals right now, I have no clue.
Speaker 2: No, there you go.
Speaker 1: There's there's your answer right there, Oklahoma City and Indiana.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, the Lakers just sold for how many billion?
Speaker 2: Ten billion dollars?
Speaker 4: He bought it in the late seventies for like sixty sixty seven million, seven million.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jerry Boss, that's incredible. That's a great I think it's on HBO Winning Time. It's a great, great story of the La Lakers and how they came to be. It's kind of like documentary style, but it's done with actors. I don't know what that's called, but it's pretty good if you want to check that out. Moving along, Steven the Future of Television. So I thought we were done with TVs. Everyone's got ten of them hanging on their walls. They cost about fifteen cents to buy. But the new, the new ones, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the future TV? And these are already TVs you can go and buy.
Speaker 2: You can. You can order one on Amazon right now. Yeah, it on Instagram first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been on my feed on Instagram, so it's probably coming your way soon. It's these new swivel TVs there they can be vertical, but they can also be widescreen. They're on a swivel and they're on a stand. They have wheels. There's no power chord. It's just about three hour, but you can charge them up like your phone, and then you can roll this their sleek looking they come in white or black. LG makes one they call it the LG Stand by Me, and you can roll this TV around your house. So it's it's kind of a hybrid tablet TV. But it would would allow you know, kids that like to watch stuff vertical, like you know the tiktoks can watch that content and then they can move it over wide screen and watch their movie or favorite TV show and a cinematic version the cinematics dial.
Speaker 2: So yeah, they're more sleek looking. They're mobile nucks.
Speaker 4: I like this is in the fall, rolling it out in my backyard to watch football outside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's a three hour bat. I need a little more time. They need a little more run time there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, three hours is not good. That's what they're saying, is that that no power cord is the three hour battery. Maybe you have to run the extension cord from that power outlet or.
Speaker 4: It kills that that kind of kills the effect of having something I can just put anywhere outside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but this is first gin, so maybe the first gen. You know, the first gen is always kind of and then then they get it better on the second and third gen. Right now, they're estimating this version of television is projected to make two point six billion by twenty thirty two.
Speaker 2: Is a growing trend.
Speaker 1: Wow, And they're going to come down in price too, they always do. It's a touch screen, all the stuff that you just told us, Yeah, but it's an android.
Speaker 2: I what to do? Watch it? Said that, like, you're just the most disgusting thing ever.
Speaker 1: I just you can hand me an android phone. I wouldn't know anything. I couldn't do it. I honestly would know how to place a call on one. And this whole TV system is an android. I don't know one, but you know the other the other operation.
Speaker 2: I might get one.
Speaker 1: I just don't want friends over to watch it with me. What was that, Stephen?
Speaker 3: Well, the other operating systems will probably come out with their own to challenge this one and compete with it. So hopefully we'll get maybe an Apple version or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure Apples. Yeah, they'll put one on. That's pretty cool though, very very cool. So Stephen Presley always fun.
Speaker 2: Visit with you.
Speaker 1: If you want to hang with us for another break, Yeah, sure, all right, stay with us. JB's got a harrowing story to tell. He's out minding his own business and someone tried to kill him. Kill him, try to kill one to kill you, JB. Right, this probably happens more often than you realize. Hey, if you're a brand need listener something, you may that know. JB is an avid, longtime cyclist. He's I don't know, as long as I've known. You're always out riding your bike, used to race your bike, do all kinds of crazy rides and stuff like that. So JB's a cyclist, that's what he does. Not But but you're doing it. You're doing it. But you had a weird encounter out where were you near creed More? Yeah, you know, it's funny.
Speaker 4: I was doing this group ride on Saturday morning and then I just wasn't feeling it.
Speaker 2: I was up most of the night. I just was. I just was like, oh, I got to peel off and go home.
Speaker 4: And you probably know it a lot of people know where Texas Disposal System is it's there's Old Lockhart Road.
Speaker 2: So I peeled off there.
Speaker 4: They kept going south towards San Marcos and I peeled off there.
Speaker 2: I was going to go back. So I'm solo.
Speaker 4: I'm riding solo, and this truck goes by me and then like a small Honda and I don't know if it's a Honda or a or a Toyota, but small sedan, and the guy buzzes me like you're supposed to give people three feet, you know, and that he didn't. He buzzes me and lays on his horn.
Speaker 2: A Honda or the truck.
Speaker 4: The truck went by me, fine, actually gave me your room, passed normally. And then the next car behind it just lays on the horn and buzzes me. And I was like, ah, sorry, sorry, that was.
Speaker 2: What I was thinking at the time. Sorry. Uh. And then he pulls up.
Speaker 4: So I'm on Old Lockhart Road. No one else within a mile. He like, couldn't see anyone forwards or backwards. He pulls over in front of me, and I'm like, God, dang, crap, I'm in the middle of nowhere with this guy. And he throws it in reverse and guns it towards me, ah wow, And so I move out into the center of the road as quickly as possible.
Speaker 2: And then he gets close enough. Oh wait a minute, wait a minute. You moved to this to give him more room to hit you in the cinel.
Speaker 4: Well, no, if I had stayed, if I had stayed where I was, he would have hit me.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I gotcha, gotcha.
Speaker 4: And then and then when he got back to me, just as I was about to pass him, he just flips me off and takes off, and I'm like, this is so stupid, like I you know, and there's probably some people listening. It serves you right riding the bike out here, but it takes no time for someone to go around me.
Speaker 2: None.
Speaker 5: And there was nobody else out there, right, You weren't holding up traffic, not.
Speaker 4: None whatsoever, you know, on the edge of the road. It's just because you had just asked me recently what this cycling climate is like, and I said, it's actually a lot. I mean, it's more congested, but people are more accepting, if you will, right, probably a better word is tolerant. And you know, hey, I I honestly am considering, you know, carrying a weapon when I start going on rides, at least when I go by myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could put a bow and arrow over your back. You're protected.
Speaker 1: Like like like like Robin Hood just reach back and pull one out. That's hysterical. I think all cyclists should be armed with bow and arrow.
Speaker 6: Maybe the David and Goliath, you know what, you know would be easy to carry though in your in your cycling jersey, A couple of Chinese throwing.
Speaker 2: Stars, throwing stars, throwing stars. Hang on, let me slip on my ninjas first.
Speaker 1: Could you carry some nun Chucks with you?
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, chucks. You know, I'm thinking. You know, you've said it before in Texas. You got to assume someone in there.
Speaker 4: Let you should make the assumption that someone in a vehicle has a gun here.
Speaker 5: That's statistically Why you say it like that, because you, oh, because you think that I I provoked?
Speaker 2: You do you provoke? Fight?
Speaker 1: You pick fights on the road that I will have to finish. And I don't want to the real brave because you should.
Speaker 4: You shouldn't make everyone that gets into considers road rage. You should first. And I say this too with cyclists now too. They might be armed. Yeah, make the assumption they're armed, and then someone's dying over nothing.
Speaker 5: Right, Right, So this guy was like, I'm just going to kill this cyclist reverse and just aimed for you, And if you hadn't moved or been able to move, he would have run over you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then I didn't think quickly enough to get out my phone and video and get.
Speaker 2: His so frustrating. Yeah, it doesn't make much sense.
Speaker 1: I mean, just if you keep going without doing what this guy did, you drive ten more seconds, your brain will completely change and you'll be like, you'll be over it. Whatever the frustration was. Ten seconds later, you're over it, and.
Speaker 2: No one's dead.
Speaker 4: I know when and when people are frustrated with with cyclists and going around him, I'm like, how much time did that take out of your day?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Exactly. Well, we're glad they didn't get you, JB. I think they might eventually, but get that bow and.
Speaker 2: Arrow read, I might eventually just send a message.
Speaker 1: Next thing, you know, we're gonna see cyclists all over Austin with bow and arrow on their backs.
Speaker 4: Or there used to be the spear guy that would march up and down three sixty.
Speaker 2: Do you remember him? Wow, he had a feather in his hair. Oh yes, yeah guy.
Speaker 4: You'd see him all around town and he had a very he marched like, walked with purpose. Yeah, yes, I remember that guy. He had a pointed spear, like an old school spear. Yeah, and feathers on his arm. Yes, I remember that guy. I wonder what happened to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's weird.
Speaker 1: Wonder wonder. Steven, thanks for hanging with us today. It's always fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for having me all. Have a good weekend.