Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day, now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: I mean, I would take everything that came with the last really the last eleven and a half months or so, right, like the feeling of being back alive, caring again, having something to believe in, and then you know, obviously during the season getting results that made you feel, you know, made you feel as if it was actually working out the way you wanted, you were being brought back to life like that.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't trade that for anything.
Speaker 2: But there are times where it really hits you as far as the sadness that comes with this, right when it's all over and you lose in the first round the NAA tournament, especially when you're the first team to lose. Also when you feel like maybe you didn't deserve to be in a position to have to play a team like Creating in your first game, it just it just sucks. So again, I wouldn't trade it for what we previously had, But there are those moments where it hits you hard enough to where I think, okay, maybe life was better when we were dead. Maybe the inability to feel that pain that comes with it all. Being over in March was the better end of the deal. I mean, I don't. I don't believe that it is. I know that is that it's not the better end the deal. But there's none worse than losing in the tournament. And it's it's one thing for just you know, the casuals out there, those that that that really they love their team because it's their team, but they really prioritize football way more and basketball if it's uh, if it's good, cool, if not, I'm thinking about our offensive line. Like those fans, I'm sure they don't like seeing their team lose. But for us, like we are not healthy, we're not well. This this means way more to us than it should this and again I wouldn't have it any other way. And the older I get, I guess maybe the more dare I say, mature I get, the more I realize.
Speaker 3: This isn't normal.
Speaker 2: This isn't this can't be the way I'm supposed to be living. Letting a basketball team that I don't and have never played for, impact my sanity, my emotions the.
Speaker 3: Way that it does. It's a beautiful thing, but it's also at times.
Speaker 2: A scary thing. But as as many of us have said, probably more times than we ever want to in the last I don't know, seven eight years. If it was gonna kill us, it would have already done it, right, we were gonna quit this, we would have already done it long ago.
Speaker 3: I mean, we haven't been in the tournament in six years. I gotta be honest with you.
Speaker 2: I knew that, but i'd to hear that as much as I did this week kind of put it in perspective how.
Speaker 3: Long it has been for Louisville.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you've made me answer the question and give it some thought, I could have said, yeah, twenty nineteen, you have six years ago. But like you know, I guess this run that we had with this team where we were alive again and good, it made me not think that it had been as long as it had been. Let's not talk about the scandals, right, I mean, like we've gone through it enough to where and look, when you say you know we're victims, you've gone through it. I mean you don't know what you're getting. There's no contract as a fan. You take what comes with it, good or bad, awful, great, whatever, Right, there's no way you know and I don't want to act like the university and the program have ultimately been victims.
Speaker 3: Players certainly have.
Speaker 2: But you know, obviously some of the stuff that Louisville was in trouble for, like regardless of what you agree on when it comes to punishment, like, some bad things happened, but like fans don't deserve that. We didn't sound off on some of that stuff. So if today is, you know, as bad as it is as far as what it makes you feel, if we can just avoid you know, more six year tournament droughts, we can sometime sooner or rather than later, break the drought of making the second weekend. And if we can avoid scandals or headlines about our program that involved sex, like that would be great. That even that's an improvement. Right, Like again, long story short, today sucked, But if we were ever gonna be numb for numb from it or quit it or realize we're not getting enough return on the emotional investment, right, we put a lot of emotion into this, and I've had way more sadness or empty feeling that I've had joy. Like if we were going to quit, we would have already done it. And I did get a lot of joy out of this team really did. And what I I mean, I do feel as if as I was trying to you know, get a get a grip, as they say, mentally, as the season was winding down, as we're getting closer to March, that kind of stuff. A lot of what I could sense was was you know, was was true. This team gave us everything they had. They weren out of gas. It played really seven guys thirty five minutes per game essentially, and they just got worn down. They were still waiting towards the end of the season, but they weren't as sharp. I mean Louisville in January. It's stills have been unknown. We'll never know, but I think that team, the way they were playing, they could have They could have They could have been a lot of teams. Also, the seating was inaccurate for Louisville based on what they did with the rest of the acc but not getting a win in better than Clemson at least gave the committee the chance to to put Louisville where they did and then claim it's because who have you beat? Right like and again, part of me says, well, you know, all you can do is play who you play and win. And that's true, but also you know, you did have chances. It's just, you know, to be Kentucky at roup, even at full strength, easier said than done. Same thing with Duke. I mean, Tennessee that was a mean, they're a great team. Also that was Louisville. Really that's the first time this group had ever even faced a team that challenged them in any way. But overall, the acc as a whole did hurt Louisville because it kept you from, you know, even getting opportunities to get wins that could have helped you avoid the eight line. But also it didn't you know, it didn't it didn't challenge you. And look, maybe the challenge would have been a reality check. I don't believe that it would have been to where we would have been in a position to where Louisville is. You know, I'll just say this as a college basketball lunatic, I hate everything about being in a league where you get no value for beating anybody and you only stand to really be dropped down multiple pegs with a potential loss. Like that's an existence that I'm not familiar with, and it sucks. I'm not blaming the acc for what happened today. I'm just saying like that was the ultimate, Like you know, there was benefit to it as well, because we won a lot of games and we were in a position coming off of the traumatic can he payne experience to where those wins that used to just be, hey, it's another night at the office kind of thing.
Speaker 3: We took great.
Speaker 2: Satisfaction, great joy in it because we hadn't had it in a while. But all in all, today just sucked. But I still love this group, and I think I realized an appreciation for something I never knew that I had and may never have known that I would have had had it not been for timing and circumstance, meaning Louisville being dead and then having a group coming in and having success as well as having a clear appreciation for being here. So it's over, and it's sad. Louisville loses today eighty nine to seventy five. Creighton was just better, and we've talked a lot about them as a team and what they did today.
Speaker 3: We can continue to do that.
Speaker 2: Obviously, we've been pretty call heavy today and if you guys want to give us a call, you can fillow two five seventy nine hundred is the number. Just quick, just some quick scores and then we'll let you guys here. I want you to specifically hear something Terrence Edwards said after the game, because I thought he answered a question just kind of talking about his experience at Louisville, which really just confirms what a lot of us could tell is that these guys man, this was this they were they were a specially group. But anyways, back to some scores from around the NAA tournament. Right now Clemson, Clemson is in trouble. Clemson is down thirteen to twenty nine. In fact, I'm sorry, thirteen to thirty one to McNee State with thirty seconds left in the first half. Clemson has thirteen points at halftime.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 2: Gross Auburn forty one thirty one. They have an early second half lead. The second half just started their up ten against Alabama State. This is one verse sixteen. I don't since an upset here, but clearly not a great look for an Auburn team that is playing an inferior opponent that they haven't played and maybe at any point this year, and they're coming off three or four losses. I'm not saying they're vulnerable. But if you were an Auburn fan hoping that today's today, you get right and you win by forty to remind you that you were a great team.
Speaker 3: But you know, you just played in the SEC.
Speaker 2: So far not so good because now Alabama State has counted thirty three forty one, so you know even you know, surviving advance obviously, but today's a day where if you wanted to doubt Auburn so far, there are some signs that maybe you know you were right not to say you should have predicted this, but they're getting scored on jan I Broom just turned it over. So anyways, Also VCU up eight to six early.
Speaker 3: In that one.
Speaker 2: I took VCU. In fact, I got him in the sweet sixteen. So yeah, I got them too. Yeah, and I actually took them to win this game money line in a bed just because I.
Speaker 4: I'd be I did too. You were talking that ball yesterday when we went off air. You're very high on VC.
Speaker 3: I talk a little ball. I could talk a little ball.
Speaker 5: It's almost like you know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sometimes you know. I mean, I do feel like my assessment of the acc unfortunately was right because Louisville losing today, I don't think was because you know, today, really today didn't have a lot to do with the ACC as far so you played. I mean, you could make the claim that they didn't have anybody to challenge them to where they weren't as prepared, like that's that's the case. But like I like, Louisville's best win being Clemson doesn't mean that they're anything.
Speaker 3: Rather they're great, bad whatever.
Speaker 2: It just was a real eye opener for me because at the end of the day, I'd never believe Clemson was that good, and.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: That was you know that that so far, the ACC not looking so good as far as the two teams that got in outside of Duke in Carolina, who of course had to use to play in game.
Speaker 5: Well, you know what is looking good your your sports betting account you hit last night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I uh, that's got that's gotta alleviate something, yep.
Speaker 2: And it's been and it's great. It's what's keeping me alive and interested in the tournament. And uh, you know, if anything, I'll chalk that up as another benefit from the awful experience is because I really had to lean into the whole betting thing when it comes to not having a team to cheer for in the tournament. And now my team's gone, and and you know, I had a fun season and now I can just turn shift turn strictly to you know, wagering. So anyways, real quick, we'll get well, we will get to the phone lines in just one second. But I do want you guys to hear this from Terrence said words, just because I.
Speaker 3: Believe that it it. It's worth hearing, for sure.
Speaker 2: But also I mean, I just think if you're somebody that that is like me, and if you're not, that's okay. We can all feel different. That's fine. Nobody can trust me. You can feel whatever way you want to feel, think whatever you want to think. But I didn't have any ability to be mad or disappointed today. I'm disappointed in the result, but not disappointed in this team or the staff. I just I appreciate everything about them. And today you know, wasn't their day.
Speaker 3: But it wasn't because they laid an egg or they were you know, complacent. I just think they were. They were added, they were on e and they played a team today that will clearly beat you.
Speaker 2: If that's the case, and they as far as the adversity this team hit today.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: This season they hit a lot of it, but they did hit something today that didn't happen this year, that a nineteen to four run go against them, which I think would make anybody shell shocked. And I you know, I think the announcers use that word as far as she you know, saying they were shell shocked, and maybe they were, but I think that would happen to a lot of teams. We haven't talked about it yet, but we'll get to Pat Kelsey's technical on the other side. But here's Terrence Edwards real quick here for those of you that haven't heard this. This was This was after the game him just asked kind of about this experience.
Speaker 3: Is one year at the University of Louisville.
Speaker 6: I can say this season is remembered for all the games combined, from from the beginning the adversity we faced early in the year with the losses and some of my key players go down in the in the year, and then and this team just rallied together and never had an excuse of anything. We went to practice, it was no excuse and it was the next man up mentality. I've never been a part of nothing like that. And and I'm walking away from this with a good attitude and the things that coach p K brought to me in my life, and I think it's gonna help me be a better father and and moving forward, I know I'm fine going into this pro thing because all the adversity I faced this year and and my life just gonna make me better.
Speaker 2: I mean that, that's that's exactly what I mean. Everything he said there, I mean I wouldn't have I wouldn't have been able to predict his answer. But I think the connection that you felt for this team despite them only being here one year, is because you could tell that they they had every opportunity to have excuses, they had excuses, legitimate excuses, but they don't. They didn't have any. There was no level of that even entering their brain. And you could tell you a Tumps forgot that they were missing Coren Johnson in case in Bryor.
Speaker 3: And I think it's.
Speaker 2: Because they, you know, they were just appreciabve to be here and they were locked in and we've had people around here using excuses when they really weren't any justifiable excuses to be in a position that we were in at that time. So love these guys. Hate that it's over. Back to the pone lines. Five x two, five seven one. Seventy nine hundred is the number. Let's welcome in, Dave, Dave, you're on Sports Talk seventy ninety.
Speaker 3: What's happening.
Speaker 7: Pat Kelsey? I really liked the gad But do you know that he now is zero five and the NCUBLEA tournament play. I mean, that can't a concern.
Speaker 2: But Dave, but Dave, Dave, Dave, and you know, yeah, that's not a good record. But you have to keep in mind when Pat Kelsey was going to the Ncublea tournament and losing, he was a fifteen seed or a fourteen seed or a thirteen seed playing top seed. So like the expectation for Pat Kelsey to win NCUBLEA tournament games at the schools he was at. I mean, you never want to lose, but like we're talking to him being twenty point underdogs in those games. So today, again he had his first tournament game where he was the better seed, he was the favorite, and he lost. But I don't look at any I think when you're coaching at that level, and I've said this before. A lot of these guys win a couple of games, get a new job, and they end up proving to be guys who benefited from a fluke run. Happens all the time, and yet coach programs still make the mistake of hiring those guys. I'm way more impressed with you if you're taking team to the dance every year because you have no margin for air. You have to win your conference tournament and regular season. I mean you have you don't have to win your regular season, but like you've got to only be good in your league, you got to win your tournament. So today again not a good not a good day for Louisville for sure, but the tournament losses for Kelsey don't care at all about just my opinion, and I'm actually happy that he's been there as many times as he has it both win through Ben Charleston.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well you make some great points, but thank you today. I thought they lost the game in the first half. Yeah, because the defense they just it seemed like they went they were shell shocked by all those screens and they weren't defending. I mean they didn't they really. I thought the defense got better in the in January and February. But you know, the last couple of games, like Duke in the second half and today the especially the first hand, but their defense just wasn't there.
Speaker 2: No, I know, you're right, Dave, the defense l flat and you mentioned them kind of here. Here's what I think happened all year, actually not all towards the end of the year, and then in the postseason, even against the teams you played in the ACC, is that when you watch enough of Louisville, you realize, you know, they've got some guys that are tough defenders, and if you just try to, like you know, dare them to stop you. That's a good recipe for Louisville because they've got some guys that are smart defenders that are physical. But if you get Louisville moving a lot defensively, that's where they're vulnerable. And today Creighton took advantage of that to where at times they were just kind of running all over the place because they weren't used to seeing as much movements as Creighton does in the half court.
Speaker 3: And that's that's a credit to Creighton. They're well coached, they.
Speaker 2: Run some really good stuff, and I think Louisville even at times, was prepared for a couple of the things they did, but they just they couldn't stop it. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Another thing, though, Nick, was that technical foul. Yeah, that was the that's the wrong time. I mean a year, We'll just I fuck that was I thought that was big. But anyway, it's been a great season. And you know Kenny Payne's excuse, he was dealt a bad hand. I have to left every time I think about it. But anyway, I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna thanks Dave. I appreciate the call. Let's get to a quick break.
Speaker 2: We'll come back on the other side and we'll talk about the technical I mean, I don't have any strong opinions on it. I don't want to see it as if I'm about to share something i've been I've been holding back. I mean, it wasn't ideal to get it. I think he got it when he wasn't expecting it, because it sounds like he I mean, it sounds like he probably felt like he maybe had free reign. I don't know because he I mean, what he got a technical for was technically being on the floor, not what he said. But I think it was a build up thing all right quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Keep it rolling along. It's coffee and Company, and we are field about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's Sports Talk seven to nine day.
Speaker 2: I do think our previous caller, who Dave who mentioned the Pat Kelsea technical because it's something that I don't think really had any true impact on the outcome of this game. And I don't really have any strong feelings on although you know I don't. I'm pretty sure that was his first technical of the season as as Louisville's head coach. And I don't know if the I mean, the call was terrible, and I don't really feel like this was a game where the I mean I do I mean again, this is just maybe me from the from the Louisville side of it. I do think there were times where they were getting the benefit of a bump where we weren't. But again, they they clearly the numbers show they're a team that knows how to defend you without fouling because they fit fewer come out they commit fewer fouls than anybody in the country. But the technical he was hot, and I.
Speaker 3: Do believe that.
Speaker 2: It was more of a build up than anything that was particularly said at the time, because he was more fiery after the technical. Like what he did after getting the tea, I think was way more deserving of a tea than the first he as far as just seeing him. Now, what we don't know is what he said. He claims to have have have said something he should not have said that led to it, and.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: That that'll get you. But I was talking to to somebody that was that was behind the bench during the game, and when I asked, you know what what because I thought, honestly, he got a quick trigger. But what I didn't realize is apparently he was. He was working that specific official during the entire game, maybe more maybe maybe he's doing that like any coach does during a game, and it just hit a breaking point. But he might have said something after that call, because when they called the foul on Hadley, I mean, that was that was a bad call. I mean, I don't think it had an impact in the outcome, and and I'm not even sure had they not called it what it would have changed at all. But it might have been a breaking point for Kelsey as far as him just losing it and maybe crossing a line, as far as what was said, and the ref just you know, his breaking point of like, all right, you're getting teed up. You need to know you can't keep you know, talking to.
Speaker 3: Me that way.
Speaker 2: Although I do love and this is what makes us crazy, the ref who teed him up.
Speaker 3: And I don't even know his name.
Speaker 2: Apparently somebody's pulled up like you know, pictures of him on the internet, social media, and he's a Nebraska fan, which you may thinking, what the hell's that matter.
Speaker 3: I did say this either yesterday or the day before.
Speaker 2: Creighton basketball is rare because they have a humongous basketball fan base. They're top like top five in the country in attendance. And it's because you know, all those the billions of people who go to Nebraska football games that don't care about Nebraska basketball because Nebraska basketball's never won a tournament game.
Speaker 3: Like quite literally, it's a weird state.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Nebraska has Nebraska football fans and creating basketball fans, So like, you know, do with that what you will. But again, today's officiating, I mean, I don't. I do not think Louisville lost today because the refs cost him the game. But here's pat when being asked about the technical overall.
Speaker 5: Can you just talk us through kind of the situation there at the end of the game.
Speaker 4: You seem to be frustrated, what led to the technical and kind of what were you kind of displeased within that moment.
Speaker 6: I got frustrated and said something I shouldn't have said, and he teed me up.
Speaker 5: You know, far less.
Speaker 6: Than an ideal time to get a technical.
Speaker 5: I realize that so.
Speaker 6: Is what it is.
Speaker 2: So I mean, I've not heard anybody or really even seen anybody that I, you know, communicate with or that I follow on any of the social media platforms that has expressed any level of like concern about the direction of the program and the guy that's leading it, which I mean, even if I did, it wouldn't change anything for me, because you know, you can find it.
Speaker 3: I mean, if I look hard enough, I would find it.
Speaker 2: It's just, you know, even after today's result, I'm not sure anybody can can can feel as if one of the issues for little basketball right now is the guy coaching them. But I think even today, for me, you know, I think they were I disagree with one of our callers earlier said we weren't prepared for for what Creighton did. There's a difference in being prepared for it, and you know, just simply like, I don't feel like Creighton got a lot today that we gave them, if that makes sense. I don't think that that Louisville was asleep at the wheel and clearly just miss scouted this team. I think what happened was early on and maybe in fact, I think they missed early shots that I mean, that was my worry. Is that, all right, you can't keep giving them those open looks? Can you Like? That's like, I wouldn't keep doing that. That seems to be an it. You know, I wouldn't. I wouldn't take that risk. And then they started making some of the open looks they were getting, and sometimes maybe it was just okay, they got lost on a switch. But Creighton did a lot. As we talked about just a moment ago. Creighton moves constantly and they in Kuckburnner first guy, as big as he is in the half court, he's always moving. There's not a lot of stationary stuff, which can really, you know, be an issue for teams that haven't seen it. And I think a lot of teams that Louis Wille played this year, in even teams they beat, like they didn't do that, and had they done it, you know, maybe the result would have been different.
Speaker 3: I doubt it.
Speaker 2: But here's what it comes down to, and I said this to start the show. Louislle did not take advantage of weaknesses that that Creighton had.
Speaker 3: And I think.
Speaker 2: The reason that they either chose not to or just weren't able to was because you simply have to account for the big, towering presence they have that is Ryan Colchbrinner and you know, you don't have anything close to him, right, You're gonna have to utilize multiple different guys at the same time, Like you can't like there's nobody you can just you know, single handedly match up with him. And I don't think he did anything today where like, well, you can't give this giant a clean look like I think he you know, the argument, I guess more so would be, how did he end up around the rim with such a good look? Well, if he's around the rim, what's not a good look.
Speaker 3: Who's gonna you know, who's going to.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, be up there to to really challenge him at the rim. Your best bet is to get him, get him out of his comfort zone to where he's winded to you know, physically push him around to where he's he's not on balance, and he just starts missing shots around the rim that you start to think, man, how could somebody seven to two not make that? And lild wasn't able to do that? And again, was it or so because they didn't prioritize that as as a key to the game, or because they just weren't able to I think.
Speaker 3: The the clear.
Speaker 2: I mean, again, you wouldn't want to go full court press and really just you know, challenge a team to have more stamina than you, because again you are short as it is. And Rain Smith was not able to go today. I mean, Rain made a three, but man, like, he was so not himself in any way, and it wasn't even about like what he was doing with his leg, with his ankle, It was just everything about his movement. You know, here I am playing, you know, body language expert, but like he clearly wasn't comfortable out there. And I'm not saying he was in excruciating pain, but I believe that they put Rain out there, not because they felt like they needed him to make five threes. I mean, that would have been ideal, and you always know that at any moment he can do that. But I think they just realize everybody else offensively for us is a bigger concern for the opposing team defensively if he is on the floor. So you know, I just think today to not be able to speed them up and turn them over when they are insanely turnover prone was a real I mean, was a huge factor in today's game, one of the many factors, of course, And I think that's the one thing I do have a real complain about, is that, like I don't think when you know when you're when you have proven to be a pretty good team defensively, and this team turns it over more than anybody in the country, or the point guard does. I'm sorry, the point guard turns it over more than anybody in the country. I don't really know how why that wasn't something in the first like ten minutes that that you know, you saw any real like it should have been something you exploited. And not only did they not, I didn't really see anything that made me feel like they were trying to turn Ashworth over and what happens in basketball, Like a lot of things in life, if you've got a well established identity, good or bad, you can you can you can ride some momentum and live in a different world. And I think this Creighton team, you know, once they started making a lot of open shots and once Ashworth was never once. Once the first ten to twelve minutes of the game go by, and he's not uncomfortable, right, he's not turning it over, He's not, you know, uncomfortable. Then you know he's not thinking about being turnover prone. He's playing loose, and he's making tough shots, shots that were well defended. So it really comes down to this. The first half run that Creyton went on, I mean that was the ultimate factor in the game. Louisville had never had a run against him like that, against anybody they played, and it was the perfect storm for Creighton because you know, they weren't you know, Louisville was missing shots. They did make some uncharacteristic mistakes, but more than anything, Creighton took advantage of Louisville in that run. Again, I don't even have the shot charted in front of me, but I do feel like in that run, Louisville missed some shots that they either should have made, could have made, or they simply altered their shot because they were worried about Caulkbrinner. That led to Creighton getting some open looks and transition where they cash in. And again, you know, some will say, well, it's luck they shot out of their rear end they did in a way, but also I'm sorry. When you play for Creighton and you are a player of that caliber for a team like that, if you're getting healthy, sometimes really good looks, you can't be surprised when they make that.
Speaker 3: In fact, you need to be.
Speaker 2: If they get good, clean looks, you should be thinking that you're blessed if they miss it. And that's not to say you left over a lethal shooter. That's just because you know, like, don't give somebody who like they're some of the guys who made shots today for Creighton. Early on, they got good looks. They're there to make those shots, that's why they're there, and they made them. They got confident and then they started making shots that were really tough. So Louisville offensively was impacted by cok Brenner. That led to them being vulnerable to create and getting those good looks, and they cashed in in a major way also defensively, And I don't feel like this happened as much, but it definitely stands out as one of those things that that that's memorable. From that first half run that was a disaster. Louisville either just didn't get a rebound or they were prioritizing keeping Cockbrinner from from eating the glass that it led to either a long rebound or a loose ball tap out of the off the off the shot off the miss to where they got other looks like that. I mean, that's what they at one point went seven to nine from three, and Louisvill dug themselves a hole that you I mean, yes, they did have a They did have clearly, you know, some some wins this year where they were coming from behind, but this was different. And this was in Sibil, a tournament against the team that regardless if you believe Creighton's good or not, I mean teams that lose in situations when when they are up by that much, that's like a major red flag about you, right, Like more often than not, teams who lose. I mean, let me see what Craton's biggest lead was, I mean it was twenty, right at least It's so so Louisville led for forty two seconds of the game. I'm sorry, No, Louisville led for two minutes and ten seconds of the game. They trailed for thirty seven minutes and eight seconds. They it was tied for forty two seconds, So biggest.
Speaker 5: I don't know why.
Speaker 2: It's not showing me the either way. Whatever the biggest lead was, it was at least twenty I believe. Maybe I'm wrong, but yeah, so let's see. I love STAB broadcast because it gives you so many stats that are valuable, but being able to find them is a real pain in the ass. But let's just say the biggest lead is twenty. If you're a team that is losing twenty point leads in not just losing them, but losing the game like that probably means one of two things. You're not very good at winning, which again, would you know be the factor in you being a good or bad team. But it also, I think means that you either might have been good or you're falling apart. So like once you bury yourself, that deep good luck no matter who you are winning also Louisville digging out of a hole with no rain Smith as far as like him being anything close to who he is and just who you are as a team, when you've been able to put yourself in the position with really maximizing every ouch you can get out of seven guys, it's just, you know, that's where the game, that's where the game was lost. It was and I actually think in the second half strategically, Louiville did some good things encountered and and and it just was too big of a hole to climb out of. And you're never gonna be just I mean, you're never gonna be completely I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm sure Creighton's had games where they couldn't score, but.
Speaker 2: You know, the scenario where you go on big enough runs to eliminate that lead just didn't.
Speaker 3: It just wasn't realistic.
Speaker 2: And I'm not trying to build Creighton up as some goliath, but I honestly think that you know, they're the They're the last team that you want to you want to see when you're an eight seed, and they have a guy that really, no matter who you are in college basketball, you're gonna change some variables of your identity when that guy is your opponent, because nobody you play gives you that he's Zach Edy. But the diet version. How about this score. There's fifteen minutes left in McNee State is beating Clemson forty to sixteen. Quick break, stick around right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: My upset special in the sweet sixteen was VCU, and they got off to a good start. They're now down seven to BYU, which isn't the end of the world. But VCU is a team that I believe that their ability to slow you down and lock you up would make them a good candidate to take down this BYU team. But now that BYUS found some offense, I'm not as confident because VC you can't get behind too much. They don't have the offensive weapons or firepower to go on some kind of big runs. So anyways, uh, let me start here in our final segment of the four o'clock hour, and we'll get back to the phone lines coming up here in the five o'clock If you guys want to join us. Five to two fo' seven and one seventy nine hundred is Coffee and Company and we are fuel about Thorden' zero Sports Talk seven ninety. So obviously today's been a different show than usual, mostly just really a long postgame show, really a funeral, a celebration of life, more so, I should say for this group because they're special. But we'll try to, you know, keep this thing on track. I can't believe it's almost five o'clock. I feel like I need more time today just to you know, get an extended therapy session, because that's what I use this for.
Speaker 3: I love doing what I do. It's a blessing.
Speaker 2: Tried never to take it for granted, but I mean it when I say it, if I didn't have this platform to, you know, just at least, you know, talk through it with myself and with you, I mean, I kind of feel like I'm I'm I bit like I wish you guys had something like this because it's helped me. Because I can tell you the feeling and the feeling and the emotion I had today before the game. That can't be good for my expectation, the expectance for my life. It's not normal. Nobody should be should be the way I was before this game today because it's just not normal. But anyways, something that I'm annoyed by and then something I love as we wrap up the four o'clock hour. Clemson, I mean, they're getting their ass kicked. They're down forty three to twenty four with thirteen minutes left. They're a five seed, They're against McNee state. That will lead to everybody claiming Louisville lost to Creighton because the ACC was ass as I say oftentimes, and I'm in the wrong world, the wrong industry when it comes to this fact that never gets said but is something undoubtable. Both things can be true. You don't have to be one way or the other. The ACC was awful Louisville had they played other teams today, had they had a healthy Rainsmith, like, it's all what it could have should have. But like the loss today doesn't mean Louisville had the season they had that and that they're really a bad team now. I also can't claim that you know today's results makes you sure that they needed to be at least a six seed. I mean, I still believe that. But either way, Clemson and I don't like. Look, when I think about the ACC being the way that it is. Let me be honest with you. It's not just because the teams that you know used to be consistently good, sometimes consistently great.
Speaker 3: It's not just because they suck.
Speaker 2: Fact, the big, real red flag about the ACC falling apart is that Clemson's good because they're not good.
Speaker 3: They're not supposed to be good. Look at them. I got Brad.
Speaker 2: We had somebody call in the other day complaining that I mispronounced their coach's name. It wasn't intentional, it was because it's Clemson, I mean, and they got the five seed. I mean, I don't mean to pile on. Maybe maybe it's just because I'm in a mood because of what happened today. But when the the biggest concern about the ACC isn't anything other than Clemson has now the last two years been the best, second to best, second or third best team in the league, right, I mean, that's not sustainable. Brown Well, Brown l whatever the hell his name is. He was at Clemson when the ACC was in a different place, and he was lucky to keep his job. I'm projecting, aren't I I'm just making I'm making valid points, but I'm just picking on Clemson because.
Speaker 3: We lost.
Speaker 5: Who the hell?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I mean if if if we had McNee state, we might have lost two. But they I mean again, when I watch Louisville beat Clemson, look, I I love my team. I want whatever however it happens. I want the best more and I wanted to succeed. But I'm also real with with like what I see when Louisville beat Clemson in the ACC semis I thought they beat a team that was good but nowhere near like like to me, that's that's a team that in even the decent years of the ACC, they're the fifth or sixth best team at best.
Speaker 5: Yeah, at best?
Speaker 2: I mean, like who who you worried about on Clemson. I mean, they've got Hunter, who's a solid player, but like who you worried about on their team? And again here I am talking crap about a team that just you know that that you know in fact, this that's what sucks is they're actually they got a seed that we probably deserved over them as far as you know, like we swept them. And yes they did beat Kentucky and they beat Duke and those wins have value, but all the other there are a lot of other metrics that favored Louisville, and they also didn't have. They also had bad losses that Louisville didn't have. So again I'm projecting. I'm just being, you know, being a jerk. But they're getting killed, you know, speaking of getting killed, have you seen the Gonzaga Georgia score?
Speaker 5: No, I haven't.
Speaker 3: Do you want to hear it?
Speaker 5: Of course I do. Maybe I've been paying attention.
Speaker 3: We are at the under twelve in Gonza Zaga Georgia. Gonzaga is winning twenty seven to three. Oh my gosh, So again ask you. We'll see what happens. But the SEC deserved a lot of the love. They got nearly all of it.
Speaker 2: But I think that the teams that got the benefit of the doubt for catching a good team or a great team on and off night, they got in based off that, and it'll prove out that those.
Speaker 3: Teams weren't very good either.
Speaker 2: Texas we saw last night Georgia who got in safely.
Speaker 3: Yikes. All right, let's talk about the louis of Men's clinic.
Speaker 2: On a day like today, I find myself really trying to think about all that I'm appreciative of because I got a lot of things I'm blessed with, and my relationship with the Little Men's Clinics one of them, because they've helped me. They can help you, Fellas, when it comes to a lot of different things, you could probably be better and you don't even realize it, right Like if you have ed, you know that, and I get it. That's probably not something that's fun to deal with, But why would you choose not to address it and make your life better for you and your partner?
Speaker 3: They can help you.
Speaker 2: They've got a variety of options when it comes to treating a Rechtildus function. A ninety seven percent customer approval rate, meaning they'll help you. They got different ways to try and they'll get you working.
Speaker 3: They'll do it.
Speaker 2: So check them out Lulviman's clinic dot com, Babo's two four four four four thousand. I need to take this break so I can regroup. We got the five o'clock hour coming up, and I'm I went a little bit off the rails there, So I'll try to, you know, gather myself.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I forget, you know, I do have a job to do. I have to be professional, don't I is it a job?
Speaker 5: Yeah, are you Yeah, you get paid for this?
Speaker 3: I hope they told me they pay me soon. Are you getting paid?
Speaker 5: I got free pizza earlier.
Speaker 4: Oh there you go. That's what it's all about, baby, all right. See Tony Venetty crack a couple of beers and cheer on the cards. That was pretty fun.
Speaker 5: Present THENDY out in the wild is great.
Speaker 2: Venetti's presence in general is better than a salary, any salary they could pay us for being honest, right, I mean, love you, Tony.
Speaker 5: I'm rich.
Speaker 4: I need a hug from Uncle Tony right now. I have a big bank account, but I'm rich and Vnetti vibes. Oh yeah, that's all we need to survive on around here.
Speaker 2: Keive a Lock Sports Talk seven ninety