Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Not having used tampons. Although they're great for nosebleeds, I don't know if you know that they work very very well for nosebleeds. The only problem is, you know, you kind of look kind of stupid with a stream coming down your face.
Speaker 1: That's enough of that.
Speaker 3: Is that offensive enough? Ladies? Yep?
Speaker 4: That was quite offensive enough.
Speaker 5: Okay, IW also offended by that one.
Speaker 6: Well, there you are, and now Handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: Here's Bill handle.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Good morning everybody. It is a Thursday morning, September twelve. As we continue or we start the show here until nine o'clock.
Speaker 2: Today, we have Joel Larsguard, which we always do on Thursday. Also Mo Kelly joins us the last segment fifty years with SNL. They're fifty years old. Instantly for those of you that think my misery and looking at the world horribly and that everything is rotten and disgusting and there is no future for any of us.
Speaker 1: Guys, and I'm talking about it and.
Speaker 5: Asking you're talking about me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I'm talking and and Neil the discussion we just had prior to me going on the air.
Speaker 1: Was I super optimistic?
Speaker 2: No, No, was I describing how miserable like it is and everything around you.
Speaker 6: It's not whether the glass is half empty or half full. He still goes, the glass is dirty, and I think that's a chip in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And sometimes there's no glass at all and the water just pours out of the picture and.
Speaker 1: Hits the floor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you just hate that glass.
Speaker 1: I hate everything.
Speaker 6: Every glass is a dribbled glass. You remember those those novelty glasses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where it was all dribble.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you could when you took a drink, it just came down your your lip into your shirt.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Very fun stuff, all right, all right?
Speaker 2: And then of course the fires are the big, big news, And I'm going to talk a little bit about NASA this morning and give you a couple of factoids you didn't know about. By the way, it's one of those gerbils I pull facts out of my rear end that you probably didn't know. This is when both well, everybody on the show goes, come on, handle really, what you have for breakfast yesterday?
Speaker 1: No idea? What are the name of your kids? No idea?
Speaker 2: What's the name of Hitler's dog. Let me tell you exactly and how old he was when the dog died. Okay, Blondie two years old German shepherd cyanide poisoning.
Speaker 1: Okay, are you guys ready to do it? Sure? Sure, let's do it. No, No, first, Hello Kono and Amy and Ann and Neil. Good morning everybody. Hello Bill, here you go, Hey, real happy God.
Speaker 2: By the way they get paid to do this. I just want to let you know it's real simple. They signed this little deal of this contract is you have to say hello to Handle in the morning. If not, then wages are being taken away.
Speaker 1: Cono, I'm never saying good morning to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're you're done, You are done. All right, guys, let's do it. It's time for Handle. On the news on this Thursday morning.
Speaker 1: September twelfth, lead story that.
Speaker 2: All right, we've got fires up the Ying Yang for sure, and we have them all over southern California. I guess the the bit of good news that happened is Mountain High Ski Resort, which has been around for a very long time, well loved, beloved in southern California Sanbordino Mountains, that actually survived because those snow mountain snow machines. I guess, say those big towers that blow artificial snow onto the UH, onto the tracks or onto the slopes. They were going full blasts and it was water that they were spraying out, and they figure that saved the UH the resort, which is.
Speaker 1: Kind of neat news.
Speaker 2: And we have people there who are we talking to to give us the latest on the fires.
Speaker 5: We got blake trolley calling from the bridge fire.
Speaker 1: Got it Blake there?
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, oh dude, that's at seven oh.
Speaker 1: I thought we were going to go to someone to give us a rundown of all the fires are going on.
Speaker 3: No handle on the news.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're just going to do a rundown of what's happening with the fires. People that are following the fires, and that's their job.
Speaker 1: We have reporters out there.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, we miss understood what the rundown right here. Let's see seven am, the bridge fire, the Line fire, the airport fire. Here's the latest.
Speaker 1: I understand, but my dad time to talk to a bunch of people.
Speaker 2: No. I just wanted someone to give us a rundown of what's going on.
Speaker 3: It's just we couldn't even waste it with this argument.
Speaker 7: Well, we're gonna, We're actually gonna. We've been doing it all during week of.
Speaker 8: Okay, okay, hold on, yeah, okay, all right, I misunderstanding. Okay, all right, Bridge Fire fifty thousand acres, the largest act of wildfire.
Speaker 1: Going on in California right now.
Speaker 2: We are in the middle some really serious stuff, and we're being told by experts this is just the start. This is the tip of the straw in the camel's back in the barrel. I mean, we are that close to this whole southern California exploding it. This is the San Gabriel Canyon fire started above Glendora, and a fire is zero percent contained, Isn't that special? Destroyed thirty homes and about fifty thousand acres.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's wonderful. We also have the.
Speaker 2: Airport fire going on, and what else. We've got two or three other places happening. And since I thought, since I thought someone else was going to report on the latest on the flyers.
Speaker 5: Follow handle all the news. It's right in front of you. But yeah, let's talk about let's talk about.
Speaker 9: Mom, Hi, come on, Amy, Okay, all right, anyway, we're gonna be far more on the fires and by the way, I just want to tell you that not being prepared this morning with the rundown on all the fires is.
Speaker 2: Not my fault, all right, No, no, nofuse.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to own this one, absolutely not.
Speaker 3: Okay, A little little sidebar.
Speaker 6: I used to oversee all of the promotions many years ago, and I would send out addresses, maps, everything. A crew of fifty would all get there and then Handle couldn't find it. And he'd say, well, these instructions are horrible. Everyone else got there, just I believe it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, you can go I mean realistically, you can go on our the r what do they call it, Yeah, whatever they call it website.
Speaker 1: That's very strong. Thank you. I knew that Blondie two years old.
Speaker 2: German shepherd cyanide uh our website.
Speaker 3: Which wow, wow, that's a pull.
Speaker 5: What kind of dog was it?
Speaker 1: Oh, German shepherd? Of course you would expect that, you know what.
Speaker 2: And and and he killed him and he poisoned him purposely, he did it. Adolf Hitler poisoned him just to check out the cyanide that he was going to be taking with Eva Brunt. Okay, so you can go to the website and it'll give the We got a map right of all the fires that.
Speaker 1: Are going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what else you can do.
Speaker 1: Go to TikTok and get the cinnamon challenge.
Speaker 4: You know what else you can do?
Speaker 7: What you can listen to the news that's happening during your show, like every quarter hour.
Speaker 3: You know that is.
Speaker 4: Right here?
Speaker 1: Is that sarcasm? Me?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's.
Speaker 7: Okay, let's talk to the happier, the happier story of the fire. You mentioned it, and that's that Mountain High ski resort. We saw flames tearing through it. They thought it was lost at one point, and then it turns out that before the workers evacuated from the area, they turned on the snowmaking machines. Normally it makes ice and snow. This time it just pumped out water and saved the resort.
Speaker 1: Yep, yay, yay.
Speaker 5: That is that's good news.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right, onto more fire. Norco man usob held without bail in San Bernardino County on suspicion of sparking the line fire. It just continues to grow, over thirty six thousand acres at this point, fourteen percent surrounded or contained, as they say, as of yesterday. It started there near Baseline Road and Alpin Street.
Speaker 3: They're in Highland.
Speaker 6: CalFire officials say that the San Bernardino unit began investigating very quickly after the fire started. They reviewed surveillance video in automatic license plate readers to find this guy. They went to his house and saw, you know, looked into his car and everything and saw things that confirmed their suspicions of this guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a driver fed X liit it.
Speaker 6: He's a driver for fed X apparently at one time, although FedEx says he was not during the time of he said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the feder said he was not an employee and a lot had to do with it because the warehouse he worked at it was burnt down completely during the fire. I don't know if that's true or not.
Speaker 3: I'm going to guess not.
Speaker 1: Okay, pulled that out of your RS. Yeah, I probably did.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about a fire.
Speaker 7: The fire in Orange and Riverside Counties has spread to more than twenty three thousand acres.
Speaker 4: It's wiped out some houses.
Speaker 7: Ten people have been injured, actually ten firefighters and two civilians. Most have been injured, most of the injuries or heat related. But this one's spreading. It's five percent surrounded at this point.
Speaker 1: It's pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: The airport fire is very near where I am in an Orange County. I mean I could see the plumes of smoke, and I work out. I have a trainer because I won't work out on my own because I don't have any motivation. She was telling me that she was evacuated and there were fire trucks on either side of the street she was at.
Speaker 1: She's in a cul de sac.
Speaker 2: And she actually the fire men and women, the firefighters were using her house to go to the bathroom, and I'm going, whoa. And then of course the question was did you charge them? And she looked at me and said, no, I didn't charge.
Speaker 1: I would have what she.
Speaker 6: Was evacuated so they could evacuate very well.
Speaker 2: Said yeah, and I'll tell you why, because what happens in those chemical toilets. They don't have the magazine racks that you normally have in their bathroom. So it's just more comfortable for the firefighters. Although you know, taking your I mean pulling your that those suits down, Oh my god, you know those fire suits. Sorry, let's move on, because I don't want to get too specific.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you do, all right, one of the coolest names ever. Hilarious.
Speaker 6: Down they the crew there conduct their first private spacewalk, his first time in the whole widest of all worlds in space from the SpaceX capsule. So pretty cool. Jared Isaacman, billionaire entrepreneur. Two astronauts ventured outside of the spacecraft part of the first commercial spacewalk and excuse me, interestingly enough, the technology this type of spacewalk goes back similarly to the nineteen sixties where they each get about ten minutes to go on the walk. But there everyone has to wear a base suit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they suck out the ear right, you know now to go outside for the space station, there's an air lock so they don't have to depressurize the module itself where people are hanging around without spacesuits, et cetera. On these the hatch opens up and they you better be in a space suit or you're going to either freeze or cook, depending on whether you're on the sunny side of the moon or the dark side of the moon.
Speaker 1: And it was so I love the suits.
Speaker 2: Don't they look out of like out of a Marvel movie? Those suits yeah, I mean they compared to those really bulky, ridiculous suits that used to be worn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're just kind of neat and sleeping. Yeah, you'ren Yeah it looks great. Yeah you can't.
Speaker 2: You know, the problem is you can't be fat and wear those suits because you know, the bulge of the roll around the stomach just wouldn't look very good. Neil and me, both of us wouldn't look so good.
Speaker 6: They'd be like, oh my god, I didn't know the Earth had two moons. Dress all right, but it is pretty neat. They did is and even though they're you know, just about ten minutes each on the actual walk, it's about two hours all in to get the air out put the air back in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's it's no small deal. Seven to twenty.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do a whole story on what's going on with NASA because it's well, on the one hand, very interesting. On the other hand, for those of us who really are into the space program, which I always have been, it's a little depressing.
Speaker 1: But let's move on.
Speaker 7: And can I just say, weren't we all just a little bit nervous when they open that hatch?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 7: Oh, I was because it's never been done before, and it's on live TV, and you're like, ooh, what if something's wrong?
Speaker 1: What can I tell you? Sometimes you just have interesting television, you know.
Speaker 4: Yep? Are you ready?
Speaker 7: It's hurricane and wildfire season, And according to bank rate survey, a quarter of homeowners in the usay they are not prepared for extreme weather not prepared for extreme weather events. Those most likely to say they're not prepared lived in the South and the West. And on top of that, fifteen percent asked said they would have to go into debt to pay the deductible they would owe under their homeowner insurance if their property did get hit. And that's on top of the seven percent who say they don't have homeowner insurance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get a question like that, you know, fire or something happens, like go to your insurance, coming, I don't have any insurance, homeowner's insurance.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't understand that at all.
Speaker 2: And when I sold the Persian Palace, the insurance had doubled, homeowner's policy had doubled, and I had less protection.
Speaker 1: I had a bigger deductible and not as high.
Speaker 2: And that's one of the reasons housing costs well, they're ridiculous. And then on top of that, insurance is just insanity. It's tough place, it really is insurance. And look, look what's happening with the wildfires. That's one big, big reason you're better off living in a tent which, by the way, a lot of people are taking my advice.
Speaker 3: A lot of tent cities.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm hoping that we don't have to use our insurance for Big Bear anytime soon, but we shall see.
Speaker 3: Heart and prayers are with those folks.
Speaker 6: On the mountain right now, all right, speaking of that, one hundred mile per hour winds would be a problem, heavy bands of rain would be a problem. And that's what the folks there in the Terrbone Parish there in Louisiana are dealing with with Hurricane Francene whipping up all kinds of craziness there, tore down trees, knockdown power lines, flooded roads, massive swath of southern Louisiana in the dark over our three hundred and ninety thousand customers without power there as Franccene does what hurricanes do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look what having in the United States.
Speaker 2: You've got wildfires here in the insane heat we just had the flooding and hurricane going on in the Gulf, and it's just it's completely and crazy nowadays.
Speaker 3: Trump pardon, thanks Trump?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, his fault.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, of course, of course everything is Trump's fault or thanks Kamala, you know, whichever way you want to go. And the only thing I'd say about Louisiana is at least when they cook possum, they do it over charcoal. Don't they do that on the skewer? Over charcoals? You know, really you can still cook?
Speaker 1: All right, that's okay, that didn't work either.
Speaker 7: Okay, the clock is ticking, but no vote for now. Speaker Mike Johnson announced yesterday that he was pulling a short term government funding bill from the House floor because he doesn't have the support. So the bill would have funded the government for six months. If they don't get a government funding bill passed by the end of the month, there could be a government shutdown. Part of the bill, though, has a measure that requires people to show proof of citizenship in order to register to vote, and he said, I want any member of Congress in either party to explain why we shouldn't ensure that only US citizens are voting but he didn't have the support from the Democrats obviously, and eight Republicans had said now we're not voting for that one, and that killed it.
Speaker 2: And a lot of this has to do with Donald Trump calling him up and saying this is not going to be introduced, much like that part of bipartisan bill for immigration that was just about to pass.
Speaker 1: Trump called it, Mike Johnson said, pull the bill.
Speaker 2: There has never been a candidate who controls an entire party.
Speaker 1: In Congress the way Donald Trump does.
Speaker 2: He simply makes a phone call and Johnson does exactly what Trump wants him to do. It's scary, it really is. It's astounding to me, you know. I'm just one where I will probably do this later on. I'm just wondering if Trump loses. Yeah, we don't know.
Speaker 1: He may win. I have no idea at this point. It's a coin toss.
Speaker 2: Will he maintain the power in the Republican Party? Will he still be the kingmaker where he calls uh the leadership of the Republican Party and says, this is what you do like he's doing now.
Speaker 1: I don't know the answer to that.
Speaker 6: I don't know, but I think I'm speaking for your crew none of us have any idea what it would be to work for a guy who makes everything about.
Speaker 3: Self, who pushes his power away.
Speaker 2: Oh they love it, well, they love it. I mean his followers love But that's besides the point. I mean, that's again we can go into that. My I have no problem with him. I mean I'm not a big fan, but I really have a hard time with a non congress person controlling an entire section of Congress.
Speaker 3: There's some people that should not have I just don't get it.
Speaker 1: I just don't get that.
Speaker 2: Now is he now? Would he run again? Now that is the question? Would you run a third time? William Jennings Bryan on the Democratic side ran three times and lost three times.
Speaker 1: So it's it has happened before. Okay, let's go ahead and take a break.
Speaker 3: Show hosts had terms, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't you.
Speaker 7: Viewership for the Trump Harris presidential debate was huge.
Speaker 3: Hey, was this you or me? Oh?
Speaker 4: Isn't that?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Shoot?
Speaker 5: Maybe I wanted to say it it's you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's you, all right? So she started huge.
Speaker 5: It from the erase, erase, erase.
Speaker 3: Bill's been asking, Now he gets it.
Speaker 6: The audience for the debate was huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just TV by the way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, so the most watched moment of twenty twenty four was the presidential campaign. If you look at the numbers, Drew's sixty seven point one million live viewers according to Nielsen. I'm familiar with the rating system. I don't know if that's right. Anyways, out drawing mister Trump's debate in June with President Biden by about thirty one percent, so pretty huge. You want to back it up against another number, just to understand that the Seinfeld finale, which was kind of a piece of crap in nineteen ninety eight, was seventy six point three million.
Speaker 1: Now let's go way back. I remember Mash.
Speaker 2: I think that last episode hit one hundred million.
Speaker 3: If I'm not miss I don't know if it was one hundred Yeah, let's.
Speaker 1: Look that up.
Speaker 2: Would you, Amy, would you look up the last Mash episode.
Speaker 7: One hundred five point nine seven million.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, Networks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and keep in mind also that the super Bowl has over one hundred million people. That's a third of the United States watches the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: So I mean, while these.
Speaker 2: Numbers are enormous, uh, that's probably true. Hey, here's a little bit of history in the nineteen thirties and when only radio was around, there was this crazy ass broadcaster. He was that version of a televangelist in those days, Father Kaughlin, who is a just insane, anti black, anti Semitic. He had a third of the population of the country listening to him on his radio program. So get some pretty interesting stats.
Speaker 4: Okay, what a fun fact from the Mash finale.
Speaker 7: Sure, okay, it was watched in over sixty percent of US homes and the rush to the bathroom after the cast said goodbye nearly overwhelmed New York City sewers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, that used to happen.
Speaker 2: That used to happen at the beginning of the television era, the Milton Burls Show, for example, during the breaks, entire sewer systems would go down around the country. It's exactly what happened when you have that many people. And the difference is with the Super Bowl is that no one rushes to the back during the breaks.
Speaker 1: They all just sit around.
Speaker 2: And what happens is you got a lot of couch cleaners, you got a lot of diapers that are sold. I mean there, you know that number of those items go up in huge numbers.
Speaker 1: Sold it's crazy.
Speaker 6: On your show, we're told that people there's a lot of flushing that goes on during the content, and there's nothing during the spots that's.
Speaker 2: Very well said, and our advertisers love it all right.
Speaker 7: More death in Gaza as Israeli airstrikes hit a un school that was sheltering displaced Palestinian families. Israel said that it was a Hamas hiding place. Thirty four people, including nineteen women and children, were apparently killed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't know how they're going to end this because you talked to both sides and there it's.
Speaker 1: Apples and ardvarks. Here. Israel is bombing the hell out of all.
Speaker 2: Of these facilities after they've told people they're safe, they're safe, saying that Hamas these are command centers.
Speaker 1: This is where Hamas militants are lining up.
Speaker 2: God the Hamas says that they are all innocent locations and they're just killing.
Speaker 1: And I think Hamas is betting.
Speaker 2: I mean, certainly they know they're not going to win any kind of war, but they're betting that international pressure is so great that Israel will have to give up. Forty thousand Palestinians are dead. Now does it go to eighty thousand. I don't know the answer. And they're not willing to give up the hostages. And Israel has its government which is going no place. And Kamala Harris to her bad credit, was asked, and what do you plan on doing on ending the war?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: I plan on ending the war. Yeah, how well we have to end the war. Thank you so much to Donald Trump. This war wouldn't have happened. And I will shut it down day one. How are you going to shut it down? I will shut it down day one. Nobody has an answer.
Speaker 1: That's my point.
Speaker 3: Nobody has How long could it go on?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 1: I don't know what It could go on for years.
Speaker 2: It could be Hamas is never giving up power Israel with this government, we'll never let Hamas stay in power.
Speaker 3: But start bombing the craters from the bombs.
Speaker 2: No, no, there's still no there's about a third of there's about a third of Gaza Is still left standing. Only two thirds have gone down, so you know they still have a few thousand buildings to just to destroy before there's nothing left. I mean, it's it's just crazy. So another thirty four people killed. It's a un school and more homes.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's be right.
Speaker 6: More sadness and the way it affects everyone around it to the mother of the t neger accused of killing four people during last week's shooting at the Georgia High School. She has gone on to apologize to the victims families in an open letter while insisting her son is not a monster and as a mom, you have to say that you know things differently, Marcy Gray, she came out. She said, among other things, that I grieve and cry with you. And she apparently tried to call the school and talk to them about an extreme emergency prior to the shooting, about thirty minutes prior to the police.
Speaker 2: Keep in mind, this kid was living with his father, who had custody. The father had given him that ar fifteen as a Christmas.
Speaker 1: Present, thirteen year old kid.
Speaker 2: He gave it to shooting took place when he was fourteen, and so mom said, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: I believe that, and let's just move on. Yeah, I mean, there's not my more you can say. Oh, there's a lot you could say on this one, Amy.
Speaker 4: Can you hear me? Now?
Speaker 7: California a first in the nation proposal to grant some illegal immigrants access to a government run phone bill discount program. It's called California Lifeline. The agency is supposed to vote on it today. If they change the way that things are written, the state would eliminate the requirement to have a social Security number to sign up for the program. And the phone program subsidizes discounts for low income residents, and so that means that if they don't have to have a social Security number, illegal immigrants, they get them to And how.
Speaker 2: Many illegal immigrants are not poor that come over the border.
Speaker 1: That's my point. By the way, California first in the nation.
Speaker 2: Did you also know that California is going to be the first in the nation state government that's actually going to hand out US passports to illegal aliens.
Speaker 1: That have just crossed the border.
Speaker 2: They will set up passport offices just on the other side of the border, and as immigrants go through, you know those you have those nonprofits they give people food and clothing, etc. There'll be a passport office right next to that run by California that will hand out passports to illegal migrants. That part is real, right, well, you know, because it's the state doesn't hand out passports.
Speaker 1: But I think it's a point I'm making.
Speaker 6: We're working too hard. I can live in a nice tent beach front right now with a free phone. Oy, hey, all right, living on a prayer. Rock star John bon Jovi very Cool, helped the woman in a moment of crisis on Tuesday. He talked her down with the help of another bystander, tucked her down off the ledge of a bridge in Nashville, Tennessee. Apparently he was just at the right place the right time. He was shooting a video, a music video there on the pedestrian bridge, saw a woman in some sort of distress there, and he walked over to talk her off. So it's just, you know, I love what the chief. John Drake added to the from the policemart. He says, it takes all of us to help keep each other safe and and I think that's an amazing sentiment.
Speaker 3: And it's true.
Speaker 6: It's not about fame or white, black or rich, poor, whatever, we we all we all got to look out for each other or we're screwed.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, do you think the video would have gone viral that instead of her talk him talking her down, he simply turned to the camera person and said let's video her jumping off the bridge.
Speaker 3: For production value.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, just to put out a video. It would go viral, wouldn't it.
Speaker 6: You know, there is you know, that little brain in your head, and then there's a set of teeth and a set of lips that God gave you to hold that tongue back so that not everything has to come out of your pie.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think we're done.
Speaker 3: Guys, you're done.
Speaker 1: Yoh yeah.
Speaker 2: This is kf I AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch my Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.