Speaker 1: The following podcast is brought to you exclusively by the rad Rob Radio Network.
Speaker 2: This is PBA Champion Kyle Trup, a Giga Ledger here, Jeff wriggles here from Eleventh Frame dot Com. Hey guys, Chuck Ritchie here formerly a BOWLTV. Hey guys, this is Ryan Schaeffer of Track staff at Valley Bowling Center in Waverley, New York. And you're listening to Straight Up five with Johnny petrak Leia Junior, Yo, the boys from Straight Up five, rad Rob dot Orcho and of course JP Jr.
Speaker 3: Pick it Out, Fear the Fro Baby.
Speaker 1: Welcome Just Straight Up five Johnny pet a hard hitting, in depth, cutting edge look into the world of bowling. This podcast will not only cover all things bowling, but will also give you a raw look into real life issues. You'll get unfettered access into the mind of one of the most gifted bowlers of this or any other generation, brick any claim it. So, without further Ado, Let's introduce you to the hosts of the show, Brad Rob, Rob Francois, Rob Rob Francois, Doctor Ocho, Doctor Ocho and the incomparable Johnny Petraglia Junior Johnny Petraglia Junior.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, looking back to Straight Up five with Johnny Petraglia Junior. I am your host, rad Rob, Rob Francois. This is episode one six and we are back. What's going on, everybody in the chat? We got staying man, what up?
Speaker 4: What up?
Speaker 3: We got Amanda Moore, who is very concerned that our show was gone. She messaged me last night. I said, nope, it's all Ocho's fault. Crambone, what's going on? Brother, Crambone's in the house. We got Mark f Oh boy, you're back. Yes, we are, Alex bur Alex Bermudez. What's going on? Hello from behind the Drill Press in Modesto, California. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome. Nico, our resident statistician and reporter is also here. Good evening, everybody. Crambone says, lose the cap. All right, your band. Uh, Let's introduce our first co host because we have a lot to cover here. He is straight out of Compton, or straight back from Compton. He is the resident doctor of Straight Up five. He is the man of many masks, the man of many talents. I could sorry, I couldn't say that a straight face. He knows a little, but a lot and a lot about a little. So uh he is the one and only doctor Ocho. What's going on? Oach?
Speaker 4: You know most people make that joke that say, uh hey, uh where I flew in from California and uh boere my arm's tired. Mine ain't because I could easily fly from here to California.
Speaker 2: Were good.
Speaker 3: Your arms never get smaller, I can't.
Speaker 4: They called me, James Vanderpeak, your.
Speaker 3: Little sunburn on one side of your body but not the other.
Speaker 4: I wasn't laying out like this when I was building a fence a swing set. Damn it, I was building a swing set like this.
Speaker 3: Did you get any in and out while you're out out there?
Speaker 4: I did?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: I actually did. Oh that's right. Oh my god, life changing.
Speaker 3: I've heard so much about it.
Speaker 4: It's so good. It's insane. It was so good and I only went once, and I'm upset about it. It was so good.
Speaker 2: Someone's in the picture. We almost had him.
Speaker 4: It was so good. I won't even it's I won't even board, and everybody else, everybody who's been there knows it's freaking me.
Speaker 3: So we're getting one in. We're actually we're getting several in Tennessee. Uh, hopefully by the end of the year, and were also like Gus we mentioned we're getting several wa walls too, So lots of good stuff coming here to the Mid South. But yeah, I can't I can't wait to check it out. I've heard nothing good things about it. I heard is a waffle.
Speaker 4: House here in New Jersey and an in and out, and I'm set for life.
Speaker 3: The waffle house is so good. They really are good, uh, Nico says in the two weeks off, did Rob getny.
Speaker 4: Popeyes's That's a silly question, I know, like.
Speaker 3: I'll take it he gets Popeyes? Yeah, no, exactly right. Burgers are good, the fries are ass. Did you have ass fries from now?
Speaker 4: I had normal fries. Actually I didn't get I didn't see the ash fries on the menu. I would have. I mean, that's that's right out my alley.
Speaker 3: That's fair, that's fair ship. Uh hey, Mozelle, what's going on? Welcome?
Speaker 4: I think what I was told that. Uh, Mama Petragli is tuning in tonight too, so always good to have the other protragon the better half.
Speaker 2: Clearly the Petraglia. That's not a knock on JP Senior.
Speaker 3: Really but you know, I mean he's been on the show too much.
Speaker 4: I look like this, so I get away with it. Hey, what else we got going on?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Well we have somebody to your left right. Hey, Hey, Johnny Petraglia, what's going on? Brother?
Speaker 2: Use the microphone? Just testing out the windscreen. Barely made it from my golf outing today, So that's where I'm.
Speaker 4: Going to start.
Speaker 2: Oh, Jo is excusing himself, so I'm gonna slide right in here. First off, thanks to Jake Cutler for the new shirt which you sent me because you felt like it. Mister Olympia four times. Uh, the man that dethrowning Ronnie Coleman still rocking, send me the new light, you know the hues.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: But I will say this, this is definitely a prop. It's still right here. But I have a couple of things to say before the show even starts. First off, thank you to Lenny mastro Giacomo. He's he's Irish. And thank you to Eddie Bienvou He's also Irish. And thank you to Jimmy Sperano, also Irish, for the greatest day ever at mercer Oaks Golf Course. Today thirty six holes, and I have to brag about myself.
Speaker 3: So sure, go ahead.
Speaker 2: We started. We started on the third hole today at one one pm. And the fifth hole if you drain it, part three, one hundred and eighty five yards. If you drain it, you win a Ford Bronco, a year's supply of golf balls, a yetti, and a driver of your choice.
Speaker 3: Oh ship.
Speaker 2: And when I tell you what, a group behind me and the people watching, man, dude, right at that stick rolled right up two feet short. Ah. Man, it was so close, Rob and all of our viewers so close. I called my mother and facetim there. I look at this fucking shit, said stop using that language. I don't like that language. Dude. It was. It was one of those dude, when I tell you, closest I have ever been to a n ace. What a great day at mercer Oaks. Thank you, Lenny, Thank you everybody. H It was a mulch and something else, something with the ground. I never even actually looked at the name. But what they sped no expense in the woods of Jurassic Parks.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Awesome, man, they sped no expense.
Speaker 3: Too bad. You came just that close to winning. That would have been badass, that would have been.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: It was a great day, man, what a great day.
Speaker 2: And then had an hour and five minute drive to good old Belford, which I made by ten minutes. Pop right in, gave gg a kiss, gave missus Ocho a kiss, and here we are and gg gg's birthday is tomorrow. She's I'm sorry Friday. She's a little embarrassed to come on camera. But maybe at some point while we're still here, we can get her up here to wish her a happy second birthday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, that as dude. Good stuff, fantastic, fantastic. I went to therapy today for the first time because you know, I'm fucking the head. So that happened today. Yeah right, what else? Oh? My kid just started kindergarten on Monday.
Speaker 2: I also have to give one more shout out to somebody doesn't even realize how important they are to me. And his name is Nick de Ambrosio. Went out of his way to make sure that everything was good with my family, as he always has. So I saw his name in the chad. I obviously popped in late, but I did want to send a an awesome thank you to the greatest man ever in congrats on the new Marina and looking forward to seeing you August twenty fourth at that marina. So yeah.
Speaker 4: And other than.
Speaker 2: That, uh, Rob, I have so much talk about in the in the world of bowling, sure for for the last few weeks that we haven't been here, which, by the way, to all of our viewers, thank you guys so much for dealing with us through this hectic time, through Ojo's vacation, me bowling, Dougie's event, battle Bowl, all that stuff. So thank you guys so much for being so awesome. And Rob, thank you as always for being the greatest host a show can ever have.
Speaker 3: Ah. Man, you don't have to say that. I'm just I'm just a house hacked like Ojo. That's all. That's all I am. No, dude, I'm glad things are growing great for you, obviously. I saw a picture from Martha today. Man, that's fucking bald name Ricatona. She had that looked fucking I.
Speaker 2: Didn't get any of it, so and ask her to send it this way.
Speaker 3: It looked really good, really good. I miss I missed Northeast food, I really do. I missed the Chinese food. I missed the Italian food. Not to say there aren't good pizza places here. We've had a lot of transplants from New York City come down here and open up New York pizza joints. But you know, speak speaking.
Speaker 2: Of Martha, she lives a long branch. She's right on the water and earlier it's I'm a like one of those asshole TikTok scrollers. And I definitely follow Dave Portanoit, so I follow the one bites and he showed up at Gg's Pizza and Sea Bright yesterday. So I I messaged Martha and said, Babe, have we ever had this pizza? And she said, lol, yes we have. We tried the everything bagel topping.
Speaker 4: On the crust, and I said, that's it.
Speaker 2: That's the place that has like the real pizza. Yeah, like I forget the everything bagel crust, but what an amazing place. So anybody that follows Dave Portanoit go to Gg's Pizza and see Bright Ocean Half North.
Speaker 3: I follow him anyway because he's a Boston guy, but I do love his his pizza reviews. He's he's brutal. Sometimes Martha says the place is Johnny's it's definitely amazing. Yeah that I gotta if I ever get up there, I gotta go eat there and get that bull of nase Man. Yeah, that's that's good stuff. Chuck Richie has a crush on Martha. Fuck who doesn't. I'll take no ship for a thousand, Alex.
Speaker 4: Uh you know what?
Speaker 3: Hat you know what?
Speaker 4: Oach.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Hi, Mozelle, the best, the first person to ever ever give money to the Johnny p Slash straight up five slash amazing shirts and one of my best friends from Vegas. I want to start with Nico's question down here, oach or. Rob wants to talk about the women's tour. Yeah, super show from West I Nico give us a little bit more about the show from last night. And while he's coming back, Rob, how are you, sir? How's the family?
Speaker 3: The family is great. I mentioned earlier. My kid just started kindergarten this week. It's been a little bit of a tough task trying to get her to go every day, but she's she's doing great. Alrighty, she's uh, she did preschool last year, so she's already head of the kids that have never been to school. So uh, you know, yeah, life is good right now, Man, my mom just got got here or she just left here. She visited for a few days last week from Colorado. Yeah, man, I'm able to I think I mentioned before, I'm able to work from home every day now. So that's a b.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about working from home all the time?
Speaker 3: What a bear going on? Brother?
Speaker 5: That's a that's a quite quite after this gott a. Yes, they will working from home. It's cool because one, I don't I don't have to go anywhere. Two it's uh, well, when my kid was here, it was good to spend time with her, but it also it's actually a good chance for my wife and I to kind of work side by side and kind of reconnect to uh could you know marriages have up and downs. We've been married almost twenty years, we've married twenty years in February, but we've known each other since ninety eight, so you know, we're and that's kind of the part where we're doing with therapy now, just to kind of reconnect and kind of focus back on, you know, strengthening.
Speaker 4: Do you like it? Like?
Speaker 2: Do you like the idea of I've.
Speaker 6: Been working for DraftKings for a long time, right right, right, as much as I love never having to go anywhere, I really really fucking hate what's up Like a ten PM.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 3: Well I can imagine, yeah, no, I can imagine. It says on gas right, and it says on wear and tear in my car when I still have time to pay for it, so it saves money. But yeah, I mean I could just get up and go upstairs my office, you know, like that's where I work from. Uh, and I don't have to go in and deal with fucking people. Everything I do is usually so yeah, no, I'm no, I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: Let me get my windscreen here, hang on so I can feel more like Joe Rogan and do me a favor. Bring up Devin Baker real quick, because Devin Baker, I'm actually going to announce this out loud. First off, Devin, I don't know where deluci is or del deluci is is. Meanwhile, the amazing black man that's Devin and the Italian guy doesn't know fucking the way to say this word. That's that delucious anyway, Uh, this is the man that got me into weightlifting right here. This is uh the natural, like the true natural bodybuilding champion of Devin. I don't know, I know, I know it's definitely New Jersey. I know he's been drinking Crystal lighte for eight years and been on the same eating regimen for almost thirteen. So always a pleasure to have Devin here because, honest to god, he's not only one of the best menu'al ever meet, but like one of the most committed. So never been to Delucia's Delucious. I'm still embarrassed at I can't say so.
Speaker 4: I'm just gonna.
Speaker 3: Flex Nico, says. Lee Jansen beat Jordan Richard, Richard, Recard, Ricard, is it Recard, Jordan Richard and whatever in the tour Champage for a fourth title and locking up Player of the Year. She doubled in the tenth after Jordan Wentz strike seven tenth split to give her a chance.
Speaker 2: Well, we can't take anything away from Jordan Richard. Let's at least start there. She's one of the most talented bowlers I've ever seen. She has guts, she's got ball, she's amazing, she's clean, she's amazing. But Lee Janesen, I only was introduced to her this year, and I've watched her just be flat out amazing the entire season, and it's just a culmination of what she's done all year. And kudos to her, and also kudos to Jordan for just two amazing female bowlers that could also make TV, just like Liz Ard Kelly on The Men's Tour. So, Lee Janson, we love you, always have and uh so let's talk a little bit more about this because I'm gonna actually feed this into I'm gonna feed this into Battle Bowl. I'm gonna feed this into Battle Bowl. I'm gonna feed this into I'm just gonna go with this for a minute.
Speaker 3: Can we can we address long Nate here just for a second. Though, I always say you the sexiest man in the world, but I mean Nate's right, Like, if you're here.
Speaker 2: I wish Nate my nickname was long John.
Speaker 3: Nate right underneath you. Uh he's a sex and man too. I tell him all the time. But uh yeah, ashtag long Nate. By the way, ashtag long Nate.
Speaker 2: Look at everybody showing up. We even have Doyle Irons. We have the man who actually gets to wrestle the men that you envy. Mister Doyle Irons dot Com.
Speaker 3: Sir, he's a badass.
Speaker 2: But I'm gonna I'm gonna start my battle Ball talk like this. I didn't bowl battle Bowl, but I did show up on Wednesday to bowl the four team event. I did that and the first person I saw was mister Corey Christian. So to anybody that uh knows Corey, please do him a favor and let him know that we're talking about him.
Speaker 4: On the show.
Speaker 2: The dude we bowled on a seven to I I believe the pattern was seven to one.
Speaker 4: And I bowled with one of my.
Speaker 2: One of the greatest people you'll ever meet. I'm just gonna say his name is Lenny and his beautiful wife Jackie. We did have a fourth I'm gonna leave him alone just because I didn't ask permission from any.
Speaker 4: Of these people to even talk about them tonight.
Speaker 3: Sure, but you want to.
Speaker 2: Talk about the greatest group ever And here we go. I show up and who am I bowling with on my pair the first the first game? Ken McNeely. Do you all know who Ken mcnellly is?
Speaker 3: Roll, yes, yes, I do.
Speaker 2: The last memory I have of Ken McNeely is this and a courtesy leading the ninety five JP Open at carole Er Lanes, losing to John Gann. That man still loves this sport like there's no tomorrow. We kind of banked off each other the first game. We talked history of bowling, We talked like old school shit. What a pleasure to be around. So Ken McNeely, if you're watching, or anybody that knows kem McNeely that's watching, thank you so much for such a great day at bol Rama in Delaware.
Speaker 4: Man, what a pleasure to be around you.
Speaker 3: Rob.
Speaker 2: I am so happy lately. I'm like ecstatic right now. Forget the shirts, forget the bag, forget everything else. What a great day. Because who do I see walking by me? I'm on lanes thirteen and fourteen to start, and who's on the end. He's he's pretty good. His first name rhymes with Schmantoning and his last name rhymes with Cripsenson.
Speaker 3: So I heard he did pretty well. Actually I heard, I heard. I heard he bowled fairly well.
Speaker 2: So let's start the convo. Now, the greatest bowler in the world beat the living shit out of it everybody at battle Bowl, and everybody knew was coming, including Anthony. It was so amazing to watch dude. And it's not like he was playing the track or like bumping fifteen to ten. He was just I'm just gonna go this way, throw it over everybody, and just shoot one spare for the next three hours. Twice. Yeah, did that twice. I mean it's I think it's low said that I saw I saw eight fifteen and I saw eight eighty, so it's like, that's that's pretty good. Eight.
Speaker 4: That's pretty good, dude, Nico.
Speaker 2: So I'm I'm gonna answer Nico's question here, Rob, because I bothed great in the one event I did not bowl battle ball. I only showed up for Dougie's tournament, which, by the way, Dougie Dougie heron Dougie Vision. Thank you for being the greatest and the greatest tournament host any of us could ever have. Dude, you are a class act. You're amazing, you always will be, and thank you for always being. I mean, like Dougie, you're the best. Nico.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I bowled fabulous for my three games on Wednesday. I did everything I could, man and I shot six ninety. I bowled fabulous.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know how he doesn't, Rob, I don't know how he does it. He's He's figured out a way to just not only is he better than everybody else, but he jumped to the move before everybody else. He has no fear, he has no worry. I played golf today, like shit, I duck hooked one, like I dead pulled one, and then I pushed one. So the next hole like instead of like just hitting it up the gut, I'm like, Oh, don't hit it this way, don't hit it that way. No, man, that never happens with Anthony, and I personally think that's the difference when it comes to most bowlers, because Anthony never fears what could go wrong. So, Nico, there's the uh, there's the answer to your question. I feel like Anthony never ever fears what could go wrong. And I think that's a big thing for for everybody that's listening, for especially our.
Speaker 4: Our younger bowlers.
Speaker 2: If you have no fear and you just commit and let everything go, what's the worst that can happen? Probably the same thing that would have happened if you didn't. That's always been my problem, and it was never my dad's problem. Let's pull up Jim Ward here, Let's let's just this is definitely like Jim went out of his way to talk about this, So go ahead, Rob read this one.
Speaker 3: Jim Ward says, I look at it this way. If you want to get better, you compete against the best, and and it's the best, the best is simo, then you better get better. And if you're going to beat them, then you have to give an If you're gonna beat him, And even if you don't beat him, look at what you pick up by learning by watching him. Uh, you get to watch and learn against the best. I mean that. So a lot of people are complaining that, you know, he shouldn't have been allowed to bowl, or he shouldn't have been allowed to be in any side action, Uh, you know, getting any brackets and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Well, Jim didn't say anything about that.
Speaker 4: No, I never just said people.
Speaker 3: Have been complaining about.
Speaker 2: Bring bring that, bring that back up.
Speaker 4: Prop.
Speaker 2: Jim makes a great point here because it was exactly what I was just saying. Anthony is not afraid to do anything at any time. Ever. Everybody else is like, oh, I'm here to I'm here for the what's what's the word that they always use. I'm here for the experience, right, the experience. But they always use that word, which I fucking hate respectfully, if you are excellent, Anthony's never there for the experience. Anthony's there to kick the living you know what out of everybody else, and he does it committedly, like he never gives it an extra frame. Right, So like when we watch we've all bolt. Anybody that's a bowler that's watching this show, that's that's a bowler has bolt eight hundred, Okay, So the difference between eight to oh and eight twenty is one shot. The difference between eight twenty and eight forty is one shot. Difference between eight forty and eight sixty is one shot. So eight hundred to eight sixty is three shots over the course of thirty six frames, well thirty frames if you don't include the rest, right, So Anthony doesn't waste a frame here and there figuring out how to do better than what he's doing. And he's always been that way personally. I feel like that's why he's adapted the backup ball. That's why I can throw it over the gutter so I can play it up the gut with a grenade. That's why I can do whatever he wants whenever he wants. He has no fear, and I appreciate what Jim said, and I definitely appreciate what.
Speaker 4: Nico said earlier.
Speaker 2: And now we also have Player of the Year Senior Player of the Year mister Troy Link in the chat. Troy, I for one to add it to their please do us a favor and add it. But Rob, that's I've seen that from Anthony, not even just bowling. I saw that when he when he opened his bowling alley went when he took over those eight lanes at the Nerd, which is before the compound, when he was at the Nerd downtown, like I watched him try and level the lanes. I watched him fix machines. The man is the man's entire life is bowling. That is, that's one thing that most bowlers can't do. They can't put their entire our lives into the sport that that gives them their life, including my dad. I mean, you know, like we watched bowlers grab bowling alleys, Don Carter or.
Speaker 4: Anthony just to name a few. But man, oh man, like.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm I'm sorry to spit a little bit here, but how do you feel about this?
Speaker 3: Robin Simo is so driven and he's so cold blooded right, Like, he's just he's fucking he's an ice man, right, I wonder, and this is no knock to anybody. I don't know him personally. Do you think he might be on the spectrum a little bit? Because people that are that focused on one thing and that good at one thing are extremely extremely smart, but they may lack in other areas, like in social skills and stuff like that. How is he wait personally the best?
Speaker 2: He's the best person in the world to hang out with. He's the best person to hang out with. He's the best person to talk to. I will never say a bad thing about Anthony. Anthony. We saw Phyllis earlier in the chat. Phillis got me a birthday cake and Anthony showed up at Phillis's house. He's normal, He's like us. He almost doesn't want the fame, at least from what I see. He's just a good man.
Speaker 4: He's always been a good man.
Speaker 2: But he is such a predator on bowling mains. Dude, it's crazy, and I'm talking like dude. I've been around guys like JD. Sant Lucia, Mike Newman, the Judge, John Rubyo. I've been around some really, really badass son of the Gun's rudy revs. For Christ's sake, Sure this guy is This guy does it all with like he just relaxes when he does it like he's really that good. Bring up, Bring up Doyle's comment and then Charles right behind it. Let's see what we got here.
Speaker 3: Doyle says there's three types of bowlers. Type one both locally and knows all the house shots and all average two thirty and talk heavy trash, but don't leave their zip code. Type two wants to be the best, travels the bowls against the best, and bowl on any in every condition, no matter what. Type three bowl just for fun, drinks the beer, or does rock and bowl or maybe one fun leak that would be ocho.
Speaker 2: Do you just read that backwards? Uh?
Speaker 3: Nope, yep we didn't.
Speaker 2: Did you just read that backwards? No, I or my drunk off of.
Speaker 3: I don't know. No, I read that exactly why it was it was written.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Type one bowls locally and is a house hack. They talk ship they don't know.
Speaker 4: So let's let's see this.
Speaker 2: Type one bowls locally and knows all the house shots and and all.
Speaker 1: Fine.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Type one has no problem going after everybody, right right, Fine, I'm I'm I'm that guy Carolier Doyle. I'm gonna say that that that's me wants to trash but don't leave their zip code. I'm definitely not that guy. I would rather, I would rather get my ass handed to me than ever talk shit. I would rather say let's go and lose than ever ever ever talk ship and not.
Speaker 4: Be able to back it up right, and then.
Speaker 2: Wants to be the best, travels to bowl against the best and bowl on every condition. I'm gonna take John Fury on that one. Yeah, I'm gonna take John Fury on that one because John Fury is one of the best, takes care of the best, and is always in the hunt with the best. Is that That's That's my assessment on that.
Speaker 3: And Type three just bowls for fun, drinks, a beer or two, do you know, does maybe one fun league or rocking?
Speaker 2: That's me after a day on the golf chorus and then.
Speaker 3: I bowlague right right and Charles Charles says Simon was the main with every single person that wanted a picture or to chat or anything. Kids down to earth, so down to earth. It's sick and a lot of bowlers are like that. But to have somebody that's that good, be that humble like Belmo, almost the same way. Belmo, I'm sure, gets hounded everywhere he goes in bowling alley, but still takes the time to take pictures, sign autographs, stuff like that. I mean, bowlers are just a different breed. I mean, it's you'll you'll never see anybody like it. You're not gonna see that many people like that in basketball or baseball or hockey or football. I mean, you're gonna have one or two there here and there. But I saw a video of Lebron and France brush a kid off that wanted an autograph or I wanted a picture, uh, and then went in club and just start dancing like that's a fucking newsbag. He this kid's never gonna see him ever again. And I know Lebron gets hounded every where he goes. I know he's one of the most popular people in the playing the most recognizable people in the world. But to tell I can't the fuck out of his way and not take a picture with him is it's just kind of.
Speaker 2: I think, let's let's do this. Then, how about Shack is Shack or or Snoop Dogg. Are are Shack and Snoop Dogg like two of the best people in the world when it comes to the media, and they're also like two of the most badass people in the world outside the media. Right. Sure, they they've accepted their fame and they they want to do good for other people.
Speaker 3: Right right.
Speaker 2: Simon and Belmo are the same way. So is Pete Webber. Pete Webber is the same exact way as as Simon and Belmo. So is Walter Walter Ray. I mean, that's one of the coolest things about bowling is even though everybody always wants to bog about and all their ship, our bowlers are are are pretty solid.
Speaker 4: When it comes to the fans.
Speaker 2: You don't You don't meet many bowlers that are assholes to fans because it's got to remember one thing, man, I mean, like ray Gun from Australia beat us.
Speaker 4: To the Olympics and she's got fans.
Speaker 2: But when it comes but when it comes to bowlers, when I was at when I was at Dougie's tournament at bol Rama and Della or which I've never been. When I tell you, dude, the entire bowling alley full Everybody there was nice, everybody was happy, everybody wanted to be around each other.
Speaker 4: It was amazing.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's the world that bowling.
Speaker 4: Has always been.
Speaker 2: I feel like if everybody in every other realm just followed bowlers in that respect, the world will be a lot better place because bowlers give a shit about bowlers. They may talk shit when they're done, but when we're on the lanes, they don't give a shit. Man, they're happy, they high five. They don't care if you go Brooklyn, trip of four. You know, roll of two doesn't matter. Everybody's there for everybody. Everybody has a good time. Everybody's loud, everybody's kind of notch is having a good time. It's good. It's Bowling is the sport that has always kept people together, at least in the world that I live in. I have made so many friends from every walk of life through bowling. I've said this Rob one hundred something episodes, one hundred something episodes. Bowling is the greatest thing in the world, and the greatest thing for me is I got very, very lucky. People always talk about, oh, you rolled into a pot of gold, you did this, No, I just happened to really roll into a pot of gold and the son of not only one of the greatest bowlers in the world, but one of the the biggest gentleman's the sports I've ever seen. My dad's entire life is dedicated to making other people happy and prosperous. So for my entire life, I've only heard positive things about my dad for my entire life, which is kind of tough to deal with sometimes. It's also the most humbling, amazing.
Speaker 4: Thing in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I definitely want to make sure I do that for people like Simo and people like I saw at Dougie's event on Wednesday at bol Rama. I mean, just my buddy day Day Day Day is one of the coolest dudes in the world behind his fucking wife Destiny. Just amazing people for no reason other than the fact that they give a shit about the thing that they're chasing, which is bowling. They're chasing greatness and bowling. I'm starting to like dig a little bit here, Rob take it over. I have to drink another sip of this coke thera.
Speaker 3: No, uh, you're absolutely right, man. I mean we've said it every guest we've ever had in the show. We always say afterwards, man, they're so fucking cool, They're so humble, they're they're so laid back, whether it's Belmo or JJ or Danny Wiseman or John Maza or Ryan Schaeffer or Brianna like anybody who've ever had in a show, never had a douchebag on her show ever, even Chris Barr. This was nice to us. And I've heard you could great at some point, but like people have bad days, people have off days, you know, you never you can't judge with somebody by one or two you know encounters. Matt russo fucking fantastic. Buog Book is one of the nicest, you know, one of the nicest guys ever. You know, just bowlers in general are just the everyday working class, right, And it's kind of what your dad obviously growing up, which is a hard fucking worker, right, blue collar guy, right, just fucking notes of the grindstone, always diligent, always had great work ethic, and when it got to bowling, it was no different.
Speaker 5: That was and that was a little bit sorry, no, no, no, that that was a.
Speaker 2: Little bit different. Like like nowadays, for instance, if I if I was to compare me to Dad, Dad had a couple of different options, right. It was either join the gang the Monarchs, so you can fight the bishops from seventieth to seventieighth and thirteenth to sixty ninth and eighteenth and so like it was like I could do this for the rest of my life. I could sell drugs, I could join the mob. Or I could go to Maple Lanes and clean tables for two hours so I could bowl for one hour. And I would distinctly remember my dad tell me a long time ago that I'm I'm not going to use the guy's name because it's a it's a big name in the in the in the wrong world. I distinctly remember my dad going somewhere and making a lot of money and then going home and not knowing where to hide the stack of hundreds in his drawer and my grandfather finding it. Because it's very similar to like a Bronx tale story, like the working man is the badass you know type shit compared to but Dad, I worked for.
Speaker 4: It, you know, is one of those stories.
Speaker 2: But my dad's story was hey, when he finally told Grandpa, look, I can stay here and do X Y or Z, or I can try and go out on tour. So my grandfather took a second job to raise enough money for my dad to go on tour. Got the car, got the rides, got all that shit. And after my dad goes and wins in Fort Smith, Arkansas in nineteen sixty six before it was actually nationally televised, he gets his draft card, so he has to come home and go to war. I think, where do we start this real quick, because whenever I talk about my dad, dude, like, I started getting a little bit mushy.
Speaker 3: With this hard working work ethic, down to earth driven people.
Speaker 2: I guess I guess what I was trying to get out here was if you want on something bad enough, absolutely nothing can stop you other than your brain. And my dad decided to not let his brain stop him. And I going back to Simon, I feel like Simo decided from a very early age nothing's gonna stop his right. Yeah, it's yeah, steal it. Getting getting mushy. I mean it's second man is comment.
Speaker 4: Take a man is comment.
Speaker 3: That's a sexy that's a sexy comment, though, like, and it's a sexy trait to have right to be that driven and not give a fuck about what people say. About because I mean, when you're on top, dude, everyone's gonna talk shit about you. We've seen it from Belmo for how many years? Right, fucking two Hendry, he's fucking changing the game. You know, he's cheating whatever the fuck?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: People get jealous of winners, right.
Speaker 2: I think the difference between Simono and Belmo is everybody wanted to hate Belmo, Like they really tried to hate Belmo. But after Belmo established the new game, then they saw Simo and they said, Oh, this guy can do everything he does plus more and he's even.
Speaker 4: More quiet about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have two like thing about this dude. The the loudest, the loudest professional in my in my top six, Let's go Earl, Let's go Walter Ray, let's go Belmo, Simo, there's four, Mark Roth, Parker, bon Paull even add six. Are any of them loud? Are any of them over the top? No? Man, They're all even keeled. They're all normal, and they just follow the flow, all of them. It's is this even working? No, it's like the sexiest thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Is what do you got wraps? There? A small percentage of pro bowlers are ruining for others, but that the other ninety eight percent surpasses all expectations of what we think pros are like, those are the ones that bring passion back to the game. No, she's right about that. You're always gonna have bad apples in life, no matter what profession or job or sport or what you do. I mean, just that's the fact of life. But for the most part, everybody we've ever encountered in the bowling world, whether the professional they work in the lanes or you know, mechanics, pro shop operators, they're all cool, right, They're all fucking just down to earth, badass people like Glick. Fucking Ocho talked about Glick all the time. I'd love to get him on the show at some point, but he's just a down to earth cool dude. Fury same way. I mean, John Fury is a I've never met him, but every story I've ever heard about him was cool. I grew up with so many good people at Bradley Bowl in winslockx, Connecticut. For Red Burnham, the proprietor to his brother that ran the snack bar, to his on the rand, the pro shop, just all cool people. Mechanics are great, the porters are great. It's just it's it's a job and a sport unlike any other.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And guys like Simon's. I love that that they and and and EJ buy their own lanes, right, take care of like, you know, fucking fix machines and and you know, like Parker, you said, Parker filled up people's fucking like sodas and ship at a birthday party, you know, in Halloweens or I don't know if it's Hollered earlier. Just down to earth people, right, like Parker bones one of the greatest bowlers of all the time. He's helping out around the fucking balling out. It just you know, with kids' birthday parties. Like where else would you find that in any other sport.
Speaker 4: It's difficult.
Speaker 2: It's it's difficult too, at least after all these years. I mean, man, I'm gonna be forty next month. I know, I say that all the time. JJ. Great to see it, man, what a pleasure to see you. But you're exactly right. It's it takes a lot of heart and a lot of I'm trying to think of the uh, forget this for a minute. It takes a lot of heart and a lot of I'm looking for that one word, that one word, the where you keep everything intact, where you keep everything in line, where you you don't get pissed about X, Y or Z. Like right now we have to guys. Sorry to interrupt, but we do have a birthday.
Speaker 3: Oh hey, Gabriella, I.
Speaker 4: When's your birthday?
Speaker 2: Two seconds ago everybody can hear you, And now all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: Hi, Gabby, Daddy's best friend.
Speaker 2: You were just screaming two seconds ago, and now you can scream.
Speaker 4: You're dummying up? Who's this?
Speaker 3: She is adorable name.
Speaker 4: Anyway, Gabrielle's birthday is Friday, and look at all the happy birthdays. Everybody says, I.
Speaker 3: Forgot our kid the same day, I totally forgot all.
Speaker 2: That's silly Doyle's happy birthday. Look at this, Look at this happy early birthday. Alright, So we're shirts are gonna hear you scream from over there, and then when we get you on the camera, you're gonna dummy up? Are you crazy? Are you crazy? What are you looking at?
Speaker 4: Well? Her enthusiasm is infectious. Thank you, Nick.
Speaker 2: Was the word I was looking for.
Speaker 4: Grounded. She'll be two by the next show.
Speaker 2: Nice well, happy happy early birthday to you from all of us.
Speaker 4: Bye waved everybody. Wave, Wave on the time, wave on the screen. Uh, come on, need to wave?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 2: Okay, whenever the camera's off, you know, we we'll edit that. I will get to the happy birthdays.
Speaker 3: Somebody happy should just do this more often. I completely forgot Dad his kid and my kid had the same not the same year, but the same day. That's uh, I'm an idiot. I don't know how to fuck. I forgot that. Don't ever get old, Johnny, You'll forget all kinds of.
Speaker 2: I will tell you this. The one thing I don't have is children. And I'm gonna go back to uh Nick de Ambrosio here again, because Nick gives a ship about the Petraglia family like there's no there and went out of his way to remind me of something that was very important. So I'm looking forward to not only lunch with Dad on Friday, but also a little bit of a bowling session just to see if I'm still moderately close to how good he is.
Speaker 3: Nice. So let me take this opportunity, just so thank you. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for getting into it with him. On his Facebook page about political ship because we're in one of apologize. No no, I should. I should because that was no no, no, no. I was rude to him and I shouldn't have been. I think he infriended me over it.
Speaker 2: But that's okay, man, I've seen I promise you he's a great dude, as are you. And that's that's that's totally cool.
Speaker 3: He's a good dude everything I've seen. He's a hard worker.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I've seen pictures of you guys golfing and how much you guys love each other.
Speaker 4: So he's a good man.
Speaker 3: Just want to throw it out.
Speaker 4: There's good man.
Speaker 2: Just like you. That's that's all there is to it.
Speaker 4: That's fair.
Speaker 2: And I'm definitely going to his Marina party on August twenty four.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 3: John Janowitz is still on fire one again. Last week, Uh, he didn't make match playing the TOC, but he was announced Player of the Year. So our guy jj uh rookie the year last year, Player of the Year this year. Couldn't happen to a better guy. Just just one of the coolest dudes ever.
Speaker 2: And you know what, man, Yeah, Roberts, I look at the senior tour.
Speaker 4: I look at Barnes.
Speaker 2: My god, Toms, Walter, Walter is having a great year, Jason Couch, Parker, Walter Ray. And then here comes John Janowitz and everybody was afraid of John Janowitz and now he's just like, oh, it's gonna non slowly kick the living ship. Had all of you and a walk off the approach like this touched my jaw once in a while. Play any zone on the lane and just kick the living ship and everybody. He's also got three Johnny Petraglia.
Speaker 3: Titles he does, so I feel like I have a.
Speaker 2: Reason to have him and I as my Facebook photo right right, totally, totally.
Speaker 4: I feel like I definitely have an excuse.
Speaker 3: We've had a couple of years in bowling in our in your circle, right, you had Troy win Player of the Year last year win the US Open.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know he had jj Windbrook of the Year and that player of the year bug has become a good friend of ours.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And he had a fucking ridiculous year winning in Delaware and winning the playoffs. It's it's kind of and even last year with Seminelli uh and and your dad's team winning the Elite League, like it's been it's been a pretty good run that we've had here with friends of the show for the last couple of years. It's, uh, it's just cool, man Like anytime we ever see our friends win, like, it's just badass.
Speaker 2: Dude, Rob. I just think it goes to show you that when you when you move the blinds or when you cover ship. Bowlers are fans of bowlers. We all talk ship to each other, especially when we're trying to win. Finally, you're gonna wake up, it's your second birthday.
Speaker 4: Hello and bad.
Speaker 2: Hey yo, whoa, whoa, you're gonna come over here? Or what? Bowlers. As as much as we talk ship to each other on the lanes, nobody wants.
Speaker 4: Anybody to fail.
Speaker 2: Ever we we all. I stand in the back. I want everybody to strike always, and so does everybody else. Everybody gets irritated or mad or like, oh this guy sucks.
Speaker 4: What a piece of ship? This guy can't fucking wis when you're now all.
Speaker 2: The ship that we all say, we all say it right, But everybody, deep down, somehow someway respects this sport.
Speaker 4: Enough they don't want anybody to fail. Man, I certainly don't.
Speaker 2: I mean my girl is a brand new bowler, and when she bowls one thirty seven and majestic, makes me happy, makes her team happy, makes her happy. That's fun. It's fun right. When I get to watch guys like Simo, all I want to do is ask him how do I do that?
Speaker 4: How do I get there?
Speaker 2: When I see Jason Couch, I say, how do you? How are you such a great shot maker? Like just all the time from any angle? How do you hit what you're looking at? When I talk to Parker, I'm like, I would like to learn how to split a dime at the dots and the range finders. When I see John Fury Bowl League, I'm like, you are amazing. It's like I do shit like that, Like I feel like all bowlers do that to some extent. We all go home, we watch videos, We try and figure out how to get a little bit better. And the only way you ever learn is from somebody who you think is better than you. And everybody has somebody they think is better than them, including Belmo, including Simo, including Walter Ray, including Earl Anthony. Everybody's got somebody that they looked up to. Nobody entered this game and said, oh I'm good at this.
Speaker 4: I'm going to get better at this.
Speaker 2: Everybody showed up and said, this guy's good, this girl's good. I have to figure out a way to be better than that, right, right, And that's the greatest thing about.
Speaker 4: The bowling world.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's been a very.
Speaker 2: Weak We have Oach washing hands and we have Little Gigi screaming. So I'm gonna mute myself for a second. Rob you take.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's fair. Now it's uh again, bowling is a unique sport.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: There's been a lot of chatter now the Olympics throw over. But we were we were going to cover this a couple of weeks ago about and covered several times about why bowling is in the Olympics or not. And a lot of our discussion has been because of the unequal playing conditions or you know, more righties and lefties, oil breaks down differently. But a lot more of the research that I've put into it and seen, you know, Wriggles talk about and all that is it really comes down to money and who wants to grease the poems of the IOC, the fucking corrupt IOC.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 3: Bowling is popular around the world a lot of people want to say that, well, you wouldn't have that many countries competing, but how many fucking countries compete in archery and fucking cricket and shit like that, right, you know, Like it comes down the money, and we got close in the mid nineties. I remember remember Chris Shankle talking about how close we were to getting in. They almost got in in Japan. Yes, the IBF is corrupt too, says Chuck Ritchie. It really comes down to the fact that there's just either not enough money put into trying to get it in the Olympics, or just not enough money in general to support because we've seen money issues with prize funds and all that and sponsorship and blah blah blahlah blah. But it's still a universal sport.
Speaker 4: But we have.
Speaker 3: So many other sports that are in the Olympics that don't make sense. Break dancing, Yeah, breakdancing is below that.
Speaker 2: Doyle Doyle stole my next thought.
Speaker 3: Oh all right, let me pull.
Speaker 2: So Doyle's secret is on the way to the tournament, finds the nearest church, drops c note in the collection plate, cleans the equipment in the holy water. Somehow a miracle happens and now everything.
Speaker 3: That's that's amazing, That is so so good, amazing.
Speaker 2: Jerry, that's that's definitely not a knock on crist Jerry.
Speaker 3: I know, no, no, no, that hilarious.
Speaker 4: That was funny.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 3: Do you think is an Olympics Scott, Yeah, you're right. Uh, I think. I think everybody's right. I think it has nothing to fucking do with with bowling conditions and equipment and all that bullshit. It's literally nobody wants to put any money into bowling or or grease the palms of any of the IOC to get it in there.
Speaker 2: Now, I feel like enough of the world has shipped on Raygun, including me. I even showed it to my mother. My mother cackled over it. I actually showed her Bob Menory commentating.
Speaker 3: On Raygun, so I was like, this man is so vulga. He's so vulga, he's so funny.
Speaker 2: He says fuck a lot. But you know, it was still amazing because he made so much sense when it comes to bowling. I again, I want to talk about the Olympics. The only thing I'll say is too many variables left righty oil condition That's that's it. Every other sport in the Olympics. The playing field is is even there is there's no advantage for anybody unless you're a man, that's a woman and you want a box.
Speaker 4: That's that's the only thing I got.
Speaker 2: Everything else is whether you're throwing the hammer, whether you're doing the shot put, whether you're doing javelin, diving, swimming, track and field, you're all competing against the exact same.
Speaker 4: Thing all the time.
Speaker 2: And I feel like when it comes to bowling, we've seen it, man, like we have seen it. And I know this is going to piss off a lot of people because it makes sense. Rob, who are the bowlers that have always been the best? Give me three names.
Speaker 3: Go over the years. I'll just say Weber, Duke, and Walter.
Speaker 2: Okay, perfect, right, fine, My three in my lifetime would be Weber, Duke, Walter, and I'm gonna throw in Parker as like my my half right, Parker's in there too. Why they figure out a way to beat everybody else all the time, same way Bulma does, same way Simo does, same way EJ does.
Speaker 4: So those are the new guys.
Speaker 2: Kyle Trupe is like right there, He's like he's dancing. He's dancing it's right on the edge.
Speaker 4: But he's not.
Speaker 2: Ocho is screaming, Marshall Kent. They're screaming from the outside. They want to be those three names that are just instant right. They're just instant right. And let's even include guys like Brian Voss. Let's let's take guys that have just stood the test of time across the board when it comes to bowling. So not only have the variables change, whether it be resin, whether it be rubber, whether it be plastic, you're a theme, whether it be I don't know, sport conditions, short conditions, long conditions, They've always figured.
Speaker 4: Out a way to be the best, right.
Speaker 2: That's what we all aspire to be. So when we see guys like Simo, EJ Belmo Troop, I mean, I'm even gonna go as far as saying, God, who am I missing from from the new tour?
Speaker 4: That is?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 4: Is that good?
Speaker 2: I feel like maybe I'm talking too much. We get a lot of people talking here in the chat.
Speaker 3: I just got a text from John Jenwens JJ.
Speaker 2: Okay, JJ's there's Mike Carter, which, by the way, Mike great Senior in Virginia, brother, and congrats on a fantastic week. That's my man, dude, I've we should have been playing golf together today. Look at my tanlines, dude, they're messy. I need you to bed, I need you Mike Carter Roger mean, he has a great one, Chris Praither, but even okay, so let's even take Chris Praither. Chris Praither new to the tour, amazing on tour, wins the big ones, win the big ones, and we haven't seen Chris prai through on the TV show all year. I think Chris Praither's one of the best bowlers that's ever lived. Anybody in the chat disagree? Anybody not sure? I think Chris Braither is one of the best bowlers that's ever lived. Always well sure, but he doesn't reach Belmo, Simo, Troop or Parker like just to name four of the guys. Right, So what's the difference. What is the difference? Because Chris has ahead of Steel just like Simo, just like Belmo. Chris can play Andy Zone, can do whatever he wants. He's Bilt Dell, Thank you Dell. Another great one. Bill O'Neil, want to talk to about somebody who has decided that the evolution of the game when it comes to two handed and guys that throw it high and guys that throw it hard, the guy that just is amazing at what he does, and thank you Rob.
Speaker 4: There's another one, Tommy Jones.
Speaker 2: So those are the other two, which, by the way, Robin Dell, thank you guys for that one. Thank you guys, and Scott agree about pray thir.
Speaker 4: The modern osio on. Yes, so there you are.
Speaker 2: Actually, that's that's an amazing So what are they even stronger mentally than the guys that have got all of it nowadays? Like what's going on there? I don't even know because TJ is TJ is like the modern day to me, Marshall Holman twenty something titles, televised three hundred Hall of Famer just but the difference between TJ and Marshall is TJ actually wins on TV. A lot of people don't know this about Marshall Holman, and I hate to shit on them, but Marshall Holman made TV one hundred and ninety seven times and.
Speaker 4: Only won twenty two titles.
Speaker 2: Sure, Tommy Jones has twenty one titles and has been on TV eighty times. Chris Parnes same way. Chris Barnes originally early part of his career struggled on TV. But now another Guy twenty titles Triple Crown Winner Hall of Famer. I mean, could you imagine, like that's it's just crazy And now they're really, really really chiming in here because this makes a lot of sense, this entire story. The athletic guys stand a better chance. I'm going back to Roger Maine. Athletic guys stand a better chance these days because they're all athletic, all of them. You don't see respectfully anymore, Dale Travers, you don't see God.
Speaker 4: Who else was a mess?
Speaker 3: Hm hmm?
Speaker 2: Now Steve Cook was.
Speaker 4: Tall and athletic. Who is a mess?
Speaker 2: Who is a messy bowler?
Speaker 4: That that won a lot? Who am I missing?
Speaker 1: M hmm?
Speaker 2: Like that won a lot? We can't find one, right, So that's always been a constant, but nowadays it's especially true and when you watch it. I talked to Phyllis about this a lot. Phillis. Phillis is used to, you know, the guys like Pete Webber, Randy.
Speaker 4: Peterson, Brian Voss and let him Monticelli.
Speaker 2: We're all out on tour, roll going out to dinner. We're doing this, we're doing that, YadA, YadA, YadA. Nowadays, the guys kind of keep themselves away from all the ship. You never see a guy in the bar, thank you, Henry, Mike Sproggan's great one. You never see anybody in the bar. They all do their work, they go home.
Speaker 4: That's it. It's it's a job nowadays.
Speaker 2: And I just wish that they were doing this job for a little bit more money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, they work. That's always been the issue, right Phil ring like the.
Speaker 2: Jim Phil Ringer, and thank you Del Pacard, DJ Archer, and thank you Rob the Lez Tim Couch. They're bringing up they're bringing up good, good players here, and this is good ship right here.
Speaker 3: Brian Kretzer, oh, my god, b K.
Speaker 2: Nobody was better than BK and and and Brad Angelo and in the World Team Challenge era.
Speaker 4: Mike Newman, my god, Mike Newman.
Speaker 2: But anyway, starting starting to ramble. We're at an hour.
Speaker 3: You have an embecile, I do, But there's one thing I do want to bring.
Speaker 4: Up here, Yes, sir, take it.
Speaker 3: Take getting back to the Olympics real quick. I sent this to you an oach uh the eighty four bowling digests. Apparently we did have an Olympic team and I did. I don't know those guys.
Speaker 2: I believe this was the f i QS in Singapore when Fred Borden was the coach.
Speaker 3: Okay, we had Tony Carriello, Rich Wonders and Rod Toft. Obviously this before the allowed pros in the Olympics, so it was just purely amateurs. But I apparently we were close to getting in eighty eight. Like I said before, we were close to getting it. In ninety two they almost got into Japan. Bowling's coming up just a little bit short.
Speaker 2: Can we go back to the gray angle in the photo?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, not that photo.
Speaker 2: I can go back to the gray angle with the yellow finger grips.
Speaker 3: Sexy ball, isn't it.
Speaker 4: I mean that was one of the balls that I wished I owned.
Speaker 3: Right right, I mean NE only had about five choices back then, right, So it's like it is now where there's fifteen balling balls every month.
Speaker 2: But so way, Joe Chaden mission, dude. I'll be back on the West Coast someday. Dude, Great to see you.
Speaker 3: I think I think at one point, I think bowling would make it in. I don't know if it'll be. In fact, bowling did make it one year, but it was only an exhibition support. It wasn't for any metals. I don't remember which games that was, but there's even in the Panang Games quite a bit. Obviously, we have the USA national team that that goes around the country and bowls. But you know, like Tom Clark said, we have the World Series of Bowling. That's kind of what he wanted to do to kind of make his own world stage, right, have the world championions of the World Series of Bowling and get people from all around the world, the best in the world to come bowl here. So if it didn't get hot when Belmo was hot, I don't I don't think there's that big of a chance of ever getting back in unless you have a guy like a j and Simo that just keep going fucking nuclear and winning everything.
Speaker 2: Rob we have we have Alamazoo, Michigan's finest.
Speaker 3: Charlie Tap Oh, Charlie Taple.
Speaker 2: Confirming that Rod Toft from Minnesota is in the cover. Terrific player. Charlie tap gonna say this out loud in front of everybody, hammered off my coke zero. You're one of the best men I've ever met, and thank you for bringing that to this show.
Speaker 4: Man, We love you. You're the best.
Speaker 3: Also the greatest name in bowling ever ever. Charlie Tapp, That's just how many.
Speaker 2: Imagine being so nervous that you can't see straight and still acing a shot for the win.
Speaker 4: That man knows how to do it.
Speaker 3: We do. Uh yeah, Chuck, Richie that I love Chuck. Chuck is uh, Chuck's one of our unsung heroes. Like he's he's out there bowling Reach every single week. Obviously formerly a bowld TV. He got a raw fucking deal there for voicing his opinion online and got fired from there, which is still fucking bullshit. But Chuck is one of the good guys, and uh, we got to get him on the show here one of these days. He's he's a he's a cool dude, and Charlie that would I'd love to have him on as well at some point too.
Speaker 2: But I like what Jason said here. So Jason, this has always been one of my arguments is Jason says seventy hours a year of TV versus every four years for the Olympics in a two week span. We are getting exposure in some ways, thankfully. So here's my answer to this. True, my dad always said this. Remember when Tiger Woods showed up, so you would get to if you watch television, Like if you watch sports on TV Thursday, Friday, Saturday Sunday, you could watch Tiger Woods from I don't know, depending on where you are geographically, you could watch Tiger Woods from noon to six pm Thursday, Friday, Saturday Sunday.
Speaker 4: Right, yep.
Speaker 2: But in nineteen ninety four, when Norm Duke set the scoring record and lost two ninety six toot eighty to Brian Goebel on the TV show with the True Value, you only got to see Norm Duke lose, and that was like fifteen minutes. You didn't get to see him break every scoring record six game, eight game. You didn't get to see him out average anybody by eight pins a game since Mike Alby. You never got to saw that. Never got to see it. Sorry, never got to see that. So this is my biggest problem with bowling too, is we don't have enough. The world doesn't get to see what the.
Speaker 4: Guys do prior to TV. Right enough.
Speaker 2: So I guess we'll go to Roger's question in a minute here, I guess thanks for getting closure in some ways thankfully, I guess, Jason.
Speaker 4: But I wish that bowling. I wish bowling figured out.
Speaker 2: A way to let the world know what the bowlers do. I could never do what the bowlers do, man, ever, I mean we have.
Speaker 4: I could do it one day.
Speaker 2: I could never do it for not only a week. I could never do it for the way my dad did it. I could never drive across the world, across the country. I could never lead the showboat in Vegas after I drove my fucking Cutlass three thousand miles across the country. I could never then go from there to Lakewood, California and lead the ac Delco follow it to freaking Texas for the Quaker State, like I couldn't do that. Man, The talent, the commitment that those guys have is extremely underlooked and not shown. It's just not shown.
Speaker 3: Getting to what Rogers said, you know, if bowling did make it into the Olympics, with the major networks ABC, NBC, etc. Even cover bowling or bastball gymnastics, you know, swimming and diving and all that. But there's so many networks nowadays, Like I think NBC Universal just alone owns like fucking thirteen different networks. I mean, like you'll probably be able to see it at some point. Would you get primetime coverage? No, of course not. But I mean if they cover fucking judo and rowing and handball and sailing and shooting and squash and canoeing and cricket and cycling, like fuck me, dude. And that goes back to what Belmo said. Belmo was on Sweep the Rack a couple of weeks ago, and oh, you're right, dell, we do need bowling back in Saturday afternoon. I do miss that. But Belmo said that the Olympics are being geared towards the younger demo, which is why they have break dancing and X gangs and stuff like that. But I once I respect BAMA, I still kind of called bullshit, because then why do we have golf? Golf is not a young man's sport. Forty year olds and fifty year olds love watching golf. Why is archery in? Why is judo in? Rowing, handball, sailing, shooting squash? You're telling me squash appeals to the younger demographic. You know, table tennis and tekwondo cricket.
Speaker 2: Don't know, Rock. I mean, I will say this one of our fans on YouTube, Dak Arling, I have an answer for this, or at least something to maybe make Dak think about it. Dak Arling on YouTube, which, by the way, thank you for watching. Why does bowling insist on step ladders when at the match play rounds which are dramatic, they are dramatic so long time ago, Dak, like late sixties, mid sixties.
Speaker 4: There was no step ladder.
Speaker 2: That there just wasn't and they made the step ladder for television. They made it, and it was great for television for a long time when you only had three, four or five stations to turn on the television. You had ABC, NBCCBS or whatever the networks were in the sixties, seventies, even the early eighties. And nowadays. I can't answer as to why they don't do it now other than how much it probably costs to air it. But I will say they don't insist on step ladders, but I guess it's their only chance to show the world the best in the sport. But that's a great question.
Speaker 4: Rob, Like, that's a great question right.
Speaker 3: There, because a TV the format is talking about earlier. No, I know, but the format is TV friendly because again, you only have ninety minutes or two hours. Back in the day, it was what ninety minutes.
Speaker 2: Not friendly for the tournament leader though.
Speaker 3: No, it's not, no, absolutely not. But it comes down to how long do they have in their in their time and what can you sell the sponsors. It comes down the money comes out of time management and money. I don't I think there's just not enough time to show match play rounds and stuff like that have a longer presentation.
Speaker 2: Pull up Roger because this is contradictory to what Dak was trying to say. And Roger, I'm gonna call you out right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fucking Roger.
Speaker 2: Steve Miller took over the PBA from Nike. His his goal was the Exempt Tour. They had sixty four guys and initially, initially they would just bowl best seven matches, top sixty four, go to thirty two. You could be on tour for six weeks and you would travel from I don't know, Muskegon, Michigan to Minneapolis, Minnesota, gets swept by Robert Smith, and then a week until you have to bowl your next match. At least finally, they decided to have some qualifying and then cut to say the top thirty two, but was talking about tour trials. I liked tour trials when the tour was exempt, I liked it. I still think it sucked when to watch tenured players not be able to do what they've done for forever. I respect it, I understand what they were trying to do, but I didn't like the idea that you're taking away the livelihood of certain bowlers based off one week in one center. That never sat well with me. It's the reason I've never liked the Masters. I don't like the idea of bowling one opponent on one pair leanes, regardless of how you did against them for the first fifteen games.
Speaker 4: I've never liked that.
Speaker 2: I've never liked it. Man, dude, we could talk about this.
Speaker 3: For another the hour we couldn't.
Speaker 2: Unfortunate, I wish I was actually drinking booze.
Speaker 3: Right, get my kid to bed. So, uh, let's wrap it up with the imbecile of the week.
Speaker 1: Thank goodness, it's time for everybody's favorite segment.
Speaker 2: Hey you guys, Button and Tommy, you'll come back there and hit you on ahead with a tack hammers, you know, Lloyd. Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, here's the imbecile of the week.
Speaker 3: Some people are really stupid. Uh. So I don't really have a particular imbecile of of the week. I just have a plethora of idiots that I just want to make known to the world.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: This first one comes from the Bowling Science form which, by the way, Uh, Mikey Panels has been tired of the trolls in the group, and I'm surprised I haven't been kicked out yet because I talked about the people in their every week. But there was a gentleman that was anonymous that posted trying to switch to two handed total beginner seems like about three hundred and twenty RPMs sixty miles per hour. Tips. As to my form, I can't seem to get my release closer to my slide foot scenes my left fo knees in a way and once I can lean forward more with my bag, which I might be too inflexible for.
Speaker 4: So I have a video.
Speaker 3: There was a video. I don't have it, but I just wanted to point out one of the commos.
Speaker 2: There's nothing wrong with this guy.
Speaker 3: No, nothing wrong with him at all, nothing wrong with him. I'm just showing the initial post.
Speaker 2: Oh god, you can see what assholes say.
Speaker 3: With an entire internet full of instruction from the top professionals. I think this is the last place i'd post a static photo that is hopefully not your actual finish position that comes from Mike Bielski, Good old Mike. If a guy is legitimately asking for help, why do we have people like this that have to stick their nose and say, dude, seriously, you have all these other fucking places you can go and help, you know, YouTube and all that, Why the fuck would you post something in here and hopefully that's not your actual finished position, because I'm assuming he says it looks like shit, it's just fucking unnecessary, right, Like that's and that's where that's where we say, like, you know, the pros are the best in the world, and there's so many good people in bulling, but then there's so many fucking idiots that like to just post stupid ship like that, which is it's gross.
Speaker 2: I obviously have no problem saying it. Mike Bealeskate, go fuck yourself. You are the biggest piece of ship walking how's that?
Speaker 3: That says a lot, especially with Doc Sullivan around right.
Speaker 2: It's gross.
Speaker 3: I didn't know it is.
Speaker 2: Not to mention the kid in the picture is actually like doing work right here. I don't give a ship so that those feet actually kind of look like belmos.
Speaker 3: Yeah that I thought. I thought the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his hands under the ball now, granted his thumb's in it, which I would say, like eliminates possibilities from what he's trying to do, right.
Speaker 4: But man, not Bilski.
Speaker 2: What a piece of shit? Like, like, my god, why would you go out of your way to what is wrong with you?
Speaker 4: Asshole?
Speaker 2: Stop?
Speaker 3: It's all Yeah, you got a kid that just looking for help, right, just a traditional bowler is switching the two hand because maybe it'll help bone.
Speaker 2: Why would you post this chat? Maybe it was the first one he found. Dude, Yeah, he doesn't have a name. I'd like to actually talk to him. I would actually like to talk to that guy. I'd also like to talk to Bielski.
Speaker 4: Or whatever the hell his name is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd like to be like, hey, dude, how are you? Maybe I could.
Speaker 3: Maybe I could make that happen.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Next one, I have a question for the group. I bought a hammer Arctic Vibe from Amazon. It was one hundred and fifteen dollars and forty cents and it came from ups and when I opened it, it had a strong smell like acetone or something. Has anyone ever had their ball smell like that before? And will it affect the ball when I use it on the lanes? So that's that's a legitimate question, right, I mean.
Speaker 2: That's a great question, Aaron Minzner.
Speaker 3: So here's what Mike McGrath had to say, simple question. Do you save enough money buying online and insulting your pso to have him drill it?
Speaker 2: All? Right? So there's no way that's the Mike McGrath from my dad's era, because it's just not because Mike McGrath.
Speaker 4: If that hang on a second, Rob.
Speaker 2: Mike McGrath, the Mike McGrath is from California and was introduced to action bowling on the East Coast by my dad in nineteen seventy one. So it's got to be a different Mike McGrath. They do like I actually do like the question from the kid as far as the Arctic Vibe. So, Aaron Mitzner, if you are listening. Since I'm not gonna say h K twenty two when it comes to Brunswick products, I will say, since the move to Mexico early on, the bowling balls do have a fragrance that they not like a storm fragrance where they're actually like smells. Brunswick bowling balls do smell like that. They do, especially the Arctic or balls that are a little bit more porous. So it's it's totally fine, drill that ball. They're amazing, But Brunswick bowling balls do have that smell that they do. What do you have to say, everybody in here? Huh?
Speaker 3: What do you have to say to the fake micrograph?
Speaker 2: No, this was for the Well, I don't know anything about the fake microncograth, but I do know the og microograth. And there's no way that man is sitting. I mean, I can't tell from this picture. But the last thing I know about Mike McGrath was the sideburns just like Dad's right. But there's no way that's Mike McGrath would never write that. He just wouldn't write that. Charlie Topper, he's still here. Mike McGrath would never write that, right, this has to be a makeshift. Mike McGrath got even though he's a top contributor, and eat my ass.
Speaker 3: Mike McGrath, the other Mike McGrath, not you, Mike McGrath, not Mike McGrath. Good stuff, Johnny. Uh, well, I was hoping to get Ocho back in here say good by to him. But uh for the one and only Oho, the daddy of the year getting ready for his kids.
Speaker 2: Prokees feeling some kind of weight a tonight.
Speaker 3: So he speaking with my kids here which not dressed on a compart on camera. But happy early birthday to Gabriella, Happy early birthday to Mike, kiddo. It was going to be six on Friday. Addison, my love. You want to say, just yell hi, thank you? Charlie, Yeah, Hi, nothing. Kids don't want to talk to us today. I don't know what it is. What did Charlie say, I'm sorry, I'm guessing probably not. No, that's not the same micrograft. So we'll put him in Roger, We'll put him and the other guy up there with Doc Sullivan. So we'll have a We're gonna have a list at the end of the year of who is the Imbecile of the Year.
Speaker 2: Before you even say, before you sign off, guys, thank you all so much for always being here.
Speaker 4: Y'all are amazing.
Speaker 2: Sorry miss two weeks gotta sign off here, Rob take it away.
Speaker 3: Please check out our website straight up five dot com. That is straight up the number five dot com. We are getting close to the end of August when we're gonna announce who wins the signed is it bowling ball and a sign pin from the legend Johnny Pan Trackle Senior. Is that correct?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It was? Uh it's it is a ball in a pin.
Speaker 2: Picture, signed bowling pin and a bowling ball their choice.
Speaker 3: Awesome. So go do startup five dot com. Purchase one of our shirts. You will be entered in the lottery to possibly win that sweet swag from Johnny traclis Emer. So we're looking forward to to doing that and we're looking forward to having other merchandise pop up here in the coming months. But if you do want a shirt with the sweet silhouette of Johnny p throwing a bowling ball on the front and our awesome logo on the back.
Speaker 2: Please add Dougie Dougie Vision one more time, one more time, I have one more thing to say about mister Harral doug Martha stole the rosin bag. She stole the rosin bag that I purchased from Lodi. So Martha stole it.
Speaker 4: I'm very pissed about it.
Speaker 3: Come on, Martha, so uh.
Speaker 2: Respectfully, Uh go ship on her and thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 4: Brother, I love you.
Speaker 3: Can we add Martha right there? We had Martha to the imbecile the weekend for doing that.
Speaker 2: No, Martha's perfect, but she did steal the Dougie rosenbag because she loved it.
Speaker 3: It's a dick move. But uh yeah, do better, Martha. Uh No, we love you, guys, and we love her. Martha's Martha's.
Speaker 2: Martha's pretty solid.
Speaker 3: She is pretty solid. You keep her and Uh anyway, Johnny, good to see you again, brother. Always uh looking nice? Uh Tan, And you got to get back to Georgia, though you do for another do another haircut.
Speaker 2: Georgie's in the Bahamas till the twenty first, of course, he leaves. Matt Harris connections to my back hair. Oh, I have no idea what to do for the next ten days.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe Martha can help you out there too. With manscaped go to mans.
Speaker 4: My mother is better.
Speaker 2: My mother can trim like this note of just drive to Jackson. Mom's got this ship.
Speaker 3: Well. Good to see you as always, Johnny for jp J and the OHO. I am Rad Rob. We'll be back next week four another edition of Straight Up five with Johnny. Good night everybody, God bless and take care. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: Love you guys, thanks for being here.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to this edition of Straight Up five with Johnny Petreklia Junior. You can follow the show on Twitter at straight Up five Pod, Follow Johnny Junior at jp j R zero seven, follow rad Rob at rad Rob Gaming, and follow doctor Ocho at the d r OHO. Got a question for Johnny? Send your questions to straight Up five Podcast at gmail dot com. We'll see you next time for another edition of Straight Up five with Johnny Petreklia Junior right here on the Rob Radio Network. Thanks for listening to this edition of Straight Up five with Johnny Petreklia Junior.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You can follow the show on Twitter at straight Up five Pod, Follow Johnny Junior at j p j R zero seven, follow rad Rob at rad Rob Gaming, and follow doctor Ocho at d d r Ohow Got a question for Johnny. Send your questions to Straight Up five Podcast at gmail dot com. We'll see you next time for another edition of Straight Up five with Johnny Petreklia Juniors right here on the Red Rob Radio Network