Speaker 1: And now your host for Morongo Casino Dodger Sun Tech.
Speaker 2: Tam Chase, Hi, everybody, and welcome in to Molrongo Casino Dodgers Sun Deck. Hope you're well on this afternoon in Los Angeles. Dodgers sixty one and forty two on this season, first place all alone. It's off the NL West, but the lead is starting to shrad now seven and a half games going into play today. After having their five game winning streak come doing in last night, the Dodgers back at it today in the final game of this four game series against the Giants, final game of this seven game homestand and it's a special day with Clayton Kershaw on the mound making his twenty twenty four season debut. He is back and he's on the mound this afternoon. First pitch is coming up at one ten. Between then and now, we got a lot to get to. We're gonna hear from the manager Dave Roberts, get his thoughts on Clayton Kershaw returning. Will dive deeper into the numbers between the pitching matchup with Clayton Kershaw going up against Logan Webb, David Vassay is gonna go one on one with the doctor who fixed the shoulder of the future Cy Young Award or Hall of Famer Clayton Kershaw. That's doctor Neil La Trash. That's coming up in forty five minutes. We also got your Dodgers' magical moment. Shortly we'll check in with Kirsten Watson, who is live on the field, as there is a buzz the inside Dodger Stadium right now, and in just a few minutes we'll send it out to the gapin Motors Broadcast booth and here from Stephen Nelson and jose Motoll.
Speaker 3: Last night it was.
Speaker 2: The return of glass Now, but it didn't end good. Tyler Glass Now got the start, his first in two weeks since going on the IL with his stiff back. Glass now, an All Star, did not pitch in the Midsummer Classic last night. He had a little bit of rust that he had to shake off. He'd go five innings. He allowed just two runs on four hits, struck out four, but also walked for early. The Dodgers offense gave Tyler Glass Newson early run support, but they didn't have to do much as Giants starter Robbie Ray hit two batters in the first inning, walk two batters in the first inning. In fact, he had the basis load and walked Andy pie Has to give the Dodgers a one to nothing lead. In the fourth, the Giants got the glass Now though Matt Chapman lead off home run that tied the game at four. Two batters later, Tyler Fitzgerald the double. Next batter Michael Strimsky.
Speaker 4: Glass Now's three to two line drive base hit up the middle. Fitzgerald, being waved around Paz, drops the ball before he could throw it home, an RBI signal for Mike Strimsky, putting San Francisco ahead two to one.
Speaker 2: Yes with the RBIs single, Giants with two runs in the fourth off, Tyler glass Now took a two to one laid the Giants well. Veteran Robbie Ray after the first inning. It turned out he was really good. This was his first game back since Tommy John surgery. He hadn't pitched yet all this year, and the first inning a little while he settled in retired fourteen consecutive batters as the Giants took a two to one lead. Late into the game eighth inning, Yowan Ramirez on in relief and he struggled. The first five batters he faced reached base that scored a pair of runs. He was left with the bass's load and unable to get a run or get an out recorded. So Joe Kelly came on, and he didn't favor much better. Three more runs came across for the Giants. They scored six in the top of the eighth off Ramirez and Kelly. The Dodgers offense not completely dead. Bottom of the eighth, Freddie Freeman with an RBI double.
Speaker 4: Nayler's two to zero. Freeman swings in the air right center field did not get enough of this to Scremsky will give.
Speaker 3: Way drops in front of him.
Speaker 5: In between he and Ramos, a man waved around Freeman on second for a second time this series. The Giants cannot talk in the outfield now.
Speaker 2: If Freddy Freeman will take it, it's an RBI double career double number four hundred ninety nine for Freddy. That's the top tier play of the game, sponsored by Arco Quality, top tier gas for less. Dodgers down eight to two in the ninth, they got one more on a Cavin Bezio fielder's choice, but that was it. Giants beat the Dodgers last night eight to three. Robbie Ray gets the return and gets the win. Tyler Glassdal comes back against the loss. Dodgers have their five game winning streak come to win the and they're now sixty one and forty two. They're leading the division down to seven and a half games in the nl WES and today the series finale, and speaking of returns, after a lengthy recovery from offseason shoulder surgery, Clayton Kershaw takes the mount in his first start in twenty twenty four, first pitch coming up in one ten and with more, let's head out to the Galpin Motors broadcast both as we say hello and good afternoon to Stephen Nelson in Jose Mone Guys.
Speaker 4: Take it Tim Okay host sim Motor. We're not going to waste any time talking about what happened last night. It was a bummer to watch that game get away from the Dodgers in the eighth inning, but the series still in front of him. The final game of this series, the final game against the Giants at twenty twenty four before they hit the road to Houston, and it's Clayton Kershaw Appreciation Day. His season debut in his seventeenth season.
Speaker 6: Every day he takes a mound, even throw a bullfin it's appreciation different Clifton Kershaw right because of everything that he's done, what he represents, but also Steven the Dodgers that put themselves in a good position to have a very good home stand. Obviously they know what is at stake. They also known under Maybe there's gonna be some limitations on kersher but nonetheless you know you're gonna get full effort efficiency, a drive in more than anything, a will to win, and hopefully he'll have enough run to go out there and get that w again.
Speaker 4: Just what eight nine months removed from major arthroscopic surgery on his left shoulder, something he hasn't done before. But here he is about to take foot on the mound at Dodger Stadium once again, a place where he's had so much success. Granted, he's not fully built up and the Dodger bullpen is taxed. So what's the best case scenario today? In your mind?
Speaker 6: Best case scenario is he completes four innings at least and five will be a plus, and I think eighty eighty five pitches will be ideal. For him considering who he's facing, a team that's gonna be loading up with right handers, a team that knows him quite well, and also a team that he's beaten quite up and throughout his career. But the one thing about the surgery and rehabing coming back that is so out of his mind right now when Kerr says, I'm ready, it's all about competing and executing pitches.
Speaker 7: I would like to.
Speaker 6: See this ladder play early and also see perhaps that fastball with some rise when he needs to make sure he changes those eye angles on those hitters.
Speaker 4: And what we saw from him in his rehab work in the minor leagues, we did see the fastball creep above ninety one miles per hour. Of course, you're not looking for Clayton Kersh how to light up the radar gun anymore. It's all about pitchability execution, and for him, he still feels like he can get major league hitters out, and when he has faced the Giants, he's gotten him out more often than they have gotten him twenty six wins in fifty games, fifty seven games started against him, and Giants with just a five forty oh ps against.
Speaker 6: Kersh you're talking about a guy with two hundred and ten wins and the highest winning percentage I'm on pitchers.
Speaker 7: It's just remarkable to see what he's done throughout the years and to.
Speaker 6: Still be talking about Clayton Kershel and a crucial point of the season for the Dodgers just lets you know how big he is, how much she means, and certainty his attitude rubs off on the guys, not only on the feet, but also in that clubhouse and in the dugout.
Speaker 4: When we hit on the word appreciation, it used to be just Kershaw day, and Oral Herscheiser's added appreciation to that. Because you don't know how many more times you're gonna get to see this future a statue player, first ballot Hall of Famer toe the slab here and I'm so glad that he gets the Giants at least one more time here in twenty twenty four. Clayton Kershaw, coming off a tenth All Star appearance in twenty twenty three, his twenty twenty four season debut, We cannot wait for a tim back to.
Speaker 3: You cannot wait.
Speaker 2: It's been two hundred and ninety three days since Clayton Kershaw last made it start for the Los Angeles Dodgers. As we cut you down to first pitch, Todger fans get that game day meal on right now.
Speaker 3: It's Shaky's Pizza Parlor.
Speaker 2: What are your Shaky's Pizza Jacken and mojos right now at Shakys dot Com. Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck, you'll hear from the manager Dave Roberts.
Speaker 3: Well, check in with David Vasse.
Speaker 2: He'll go one on one with the doctor who fixed Clayton Kershaw, doctor Neil La Trosh. Will dip deeper into this pitching matchup. But up next your otani rewind and we'll head down to the field. Kirsten Watson standing by to get you the latest as well to lead you up to Dodgers and Giants on this Thursday.
Speaker 3: Happy Kershaw Day. He's back Hurst Pitch at one ten. I'm sim Kess Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: It is Lrongo Casino, Dodgers on Dodgers on Deck, y'all on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's Dodgers and Giants on this Thursday afternoon, final game of this home stand. Clayton Kershaw makes his twenty twenty four debut. First pitch coming up head one ten.
Speaker 1: This is the Otani rewind well rough night for the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Last night they get beat eight to three by the Giants, who scored six runs in the eighth inning. In the top of the lineup for the Dodgers head an RBI from Freddie Freeman. But Will Smith went oh for three show Hey Otani last night, oh for four with three strikeouts, still hitting three ten on this season, three ninety six on base percentage and slugging at a six twenty six percentage. The Otani Rewind brought to you by eto inns Oocha, Japan's number one green tea and the tea that shoey Otani loves and drinks available at local Diso stores, Amazon and eto in dot Com.
Speaker 3: That's it, o e n dot Com.
Speaker 1: This is Kirston's Corner with Kirsten Watson.
Speaker 2: Hey, Kirsten joins us now live from the field at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 3: Kirsten, Happy curshod day.
Speaker 8: He's back.
Speaker 9: He's back, Happy curse shot day. You know what it is special just to even say that. I think after how last year ended, there were a lot of questions, is he returning is he going to return in Dodger Blue? And then we found out screen training and right before he is in fact going to be a Dodger returning for his seventeenth season. There's just so much excitement in that period. Then you think about, Okay, he had a major shoulder surgery the off season. He's now fully healed. Dave Roberts just said that the stuff looks better than they did last year. So he's just in a totally different position. So this is a special day, David thaying he does think it might be an emotional one for Clayton. When I spoke to him briefly yesterday, he didn't He was like, you know, he didn't know. He's not like, we'll see what happens. We will truly see what happens. I think that's also his personality. But you can just tell. I mean, his kids made him and his wife custom cleaps for him today that just say how proud they are of him. You know, this hasn't been an easy journey back, but it's been one that he should be very proud of. And so yeah, this is the next step in a very exciting second half of this year, and the biggest thing is to keep him ready for October and hopefully he can go out with a bang this year. That would be I think that's something special.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you touched on it here, so that this is almost like a trade for the Dodgers, somebody that they acquire at the trade deadline, which is just less than a week away, to get an arm like Clayton kersh Off. This is a big pick up in essence for the Dodgers.
Speaker 9: It really is. And even though you just think about, like what's the next couple of weeks are going to look like for the Dodgers. You know you mentioned, yes, the trade deadline in a week and so there might be some new faces, but there are a lot of very no faces that are working their way back from injury. So of course I mean he askewday we got Towler to laugh and when yes, his injury was much shorter, it was only about a week and a half off with the All Star breaks. But like you get Clayton kershot back, that's just it's a Verstus energy. The entire team is excited, the whole organization, all of Major League Baseball is excited to see c Sayton curshot back on the mouth. Then you've got arms from the Bulton that are coming back. You're going to have someone like Walker Buehler who'll be stepping back into the rotation. And yet he had you know, a tough first half coming back from that surgery. But you know, now he's had another break, he's feeling a lot better. The stuff is looking better, his hits in a better position. So it's like you're just then going to get him back because there's just so much now, more opportunity and I and then you've got position players Luky Betts. I was just talking to him, and he's someone who he is taking ground. He's doing some like with the rubber balls, kind of keep taking some swings and stuff like that. He's continuing to feel better. So there's just so much excitement around that. This is basically like getting guys back who've been hurt, so they're going to be healthy. But it's like another boost of energy, as if it's our own internal trade deadline. I guess that's the public one, the.
Speaker 2: Old saying the Cavarie is coming and they're starting to arrive to help out this Dodger.
Speaker 3: Steve Kirson, we appreciate it.
Speaker 2: We'll check out you after the game, Dodger fans and hansher listening experience by downloading the iHeartRadio app and listening in HD.
Speaker 3: Listen to Clayton.
Speaker 2: Kershaw's return, first pitch coming up and just a little bit. All powered by LA Care Health Plan serving all Angelina's Lacare dot org. So to come here on Dodgers on Deck will dive deeper into this pitching matchup.
Speaker 3: David Vasse will go.
Speaker 2: One on one with the man who fixed the shoulder of Clayton Kershaw, doctor Neil la Trash. But up next we'll hear from the managers himself, Dave Roberts. Happy Kershaw Day. It's a Dodgers and Giants first pitch of one ten. I'm Tim Kats's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Cassino Dodgers Hunting game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Marongo Casino.
Speaker 2: Dodgers on de continues as he leads up to first pitch on this Thursday Dodgers and Giants Marongo Casino Resorting Spy Grand Slam for good Times. Clayton Kershaw makes his season debut first pitcher, one ten.
Speaker 1: This it's the LA Dodgers Injury Report.
Speaker 2: Presented by UCLA Healthy Official medical partner Los Angeles Dodgers. Last night in the seventh dating, Chris Taylor, removed from the game with a groin injury, said it felt better. It grabbed him, so to speak. But it looks like an IL stent is in the works for Chris Taylor. Miguel Rojas on the IEL the Right Forum Tightness, Mookie Betts, Yoshinobu Yamamoto, Walker Bueler, Michael Grove, all the IL, Max Munsey on the IL Bruisedark Graderol, Ryan Brazier on minor league rehab assignments. All right, let's head back out to Dodger Stadium. It's a big one. Clayton Kershaw's back. Let's hear for the Dodger skipper.
Speaker 7: Hey Dave.
Speaker 6: Questions for Dave.
Speaker 10: Dave?
Speaker 11: Can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 10: Can you talk about the pressure in.
Speaker 12: The dugouts with Dave Robbers Dave, It's finally Kursha day. When you think about just what that means, the excitement of it is it kind of crazy to think that this day is happening again and just he's back and he's healthy.
Speaker 13: I'm excited. I think Dodger Nation is excited. I know Clayton is excited. There's still some I'm sure there's some nerves with him. It's been highly anticipated and the timing is is what we expected, you know. So I think for us, it's just go out there and watch him compete, which we know he's going to do, and try to win a ball game. But this is a this is a big day for all of us, and Clayton's had a long road and I'm happy to finally get to the finish line.
Speaker 12: When you think about just what his bullpens have looked like the rehab starts, what has stood out to you about him and just staff wise coming off of his.
Speaker 13: Shoulder surgery, I think the thing that stood out is the strength of the shoulder. I think the recovery has been great in the sense of last year, the last couple of years when he was throwing afterwards there was soreness, pain and trying to just get to the next start, where now days after he throws, he feels strong, he feels fresh, the soreness in the right parts of the body and the stuff. For me, like I said a couple of days ago, is better than it was last year. So results will wait and see, but I just feel like where he's at physically, I see good things happening.
Speaker 11: Indeed, Plane's gonna make history today, become in the first pitture in Dodger's history to Dion seventeen seasons. We just talk about the significance of that accomplishment, what that longevity has missed this organizations.
Speaker 13: You know, I think for me having a small a great season, a great first half to be an All Star, I'm having a great couple of seasons. It's one thing. But the longevity piece is something that I really admire, the consistency part, the ability to post and so for him to set another record, as you said, it just speaks to the character the competitor in Clayton Kershaw. And you know, in all these years he's still been dominant even without his best stuff. So you know when you're talking about the Dodgers, so to put him on the mount Rushmore of Dodger players, it's very fitting.
Speaker 3: Absolutely it is.
Speaker 2: There's Dave Roberts down the dugout brought to my service, Titan. Dave Roberts is a Titan in his own right, and he's got a plan before his team hits the field. You need one for your growing contracting business too. Let Service Tit help you implement it. Learn more Service Titan dot Com. When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll check in with David Batsay for leading you up to first pitch. Dodgers and Giants of Tim Kates's Los Angeles Dodgers audio note.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers.
Speaker 3: On Deck.
Speaker 1: On your home for the Blue All Season Law.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Giants, final game of this homestand final game of this four game series. Clayton Kershaw logan Web the pitching matchup. First pitch coming up at one ten.
Speaker 1: Joining Tim Kates on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 8: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger inside there, David Basse.
Speaker 2: All right, David, it's been two hundred and ninety three days since his last start he made twenty four of from a year ago off season surgery.
Speaker 3: But Clayton Kershaw is back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and there's a lot of excitement here at Dodgers Stadium. Just talking to Dave Roberts and some of the members of the Dodgers coaching staff. Everybody is very optimistic that today is going to go well, because, hey, Clayton Kershaw is the ultimate competitor. He may not be throwing ninety five or ninety six anymore, but he knows how to pitch and that means a lot.
Speaker 7: And just being.
Speaker 6: Around Kershaw this week, he doesn't seem to have any more anxiousness than any other start from what I've observed, Obviously, there's a lot of excitement. He posted on his Instagram that sketchers the cleats that he use his kids designed to cleete where they have the family drawn on there and they wish him luck on the cleat, so he'll be wearing those today. But outside of that, it feels like it's another intense Kershaw day because we all know how much he locks in when he pitches, so certainly exciting to be here. And I'll say this, Tim, I even talked to a scout from another team that actually scouted Clayton Kershaw when he was pitching at Single A Great Lakes, and he showed me the scouting report.
Speaker 7: And when he showed it to.
Speaker 6: Me, he said, I don't have to scout anything today, but I felt like I needed to be here. So there's a lot of people here at Dodgers Stadium, within the organization, outside the organization that has an emotional connection to Clayton Kershaw because he's been around that long.
Speaker 3: David is driven by Ford. There's one thing we like. It's choices.
Speaker 2: Find yours with the four f one to fifty gas hybrid or all electric tough This march can only be called f one fifty behind the plate today, not Will Smith.
Speaker 3: Austin Barnes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Austin Barnes is riding a ten game hitting streak after getting a pinch hit hit last night in the ninth inning, a ten game hitting streak and out in Washington, DC right now, Dylan Seese just completed a no hitter for the San Diego Padres tim But over here at Dodgers Stadium, Austin Barnes is obviously the catcher that Kershaw's come comfortable with.
Speaker 7: And I was talking to Bob.
Speaker 6: Garan, who is still part of Dave Roberts's staff. There's not too many catchers out there that catch more than one hundred games, or even one hundred games. So there's fifty five to sixty games where the Dodgers need to cover, and it's certainly a help when you have Austin Barnes having a season that he's having this year. So the Dodgers have to manage Will Smithy. You hear about managing pitchers, but the Dodgers have to manage Will smith for October as well.
Speaker 2: Looking at the infield, David Chris Taylor, groin, Miguel Rojas injured list. Do the Dodgers need infield depth now to help cover.
Speaker 6: Well, you heard me report that the Cubs have scouts dispersed among three different levels of the Dodgers minor league organization scouting their system, and from what I understand, Nico Horner, the Cubs infielders second base shortstop, is possibly a player that Dodgers are interested in. And the Cubs have a lot of infield depths, not only at the major league level, but also in the minor league level. So Nico Horner might be a guy that the Dodgers and Cubs may be talking about as we get closer to July thirtieth, not only with the injuries to Rojas and Taylor and Mookie Beds, but obviously the strengthen the Dodgers' depth on the bench and in their infield.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: Doubt about it, David.
Speaker 2: The trade deadline coming up on Tuesday. We'll see what happens between now and then.
Speaker 3: We'll appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll hear from the doctor who performed the surgery on Clayton Kershaw, doctor Neil Elatrosh. That's coming up in fifteen minutes. We'll dive deeper to this pitching matchup. But up next your Dodgers magical moment to lead you up to Dodgers and Giants final game of this four games serious first pitcher, one ten. I'm Tim Kas's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying yes, is Marongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Dodgers and Giants.
Speaker 2: Clayton Kershaw is back, making his first start in twenty twenty four since offseason shoulder Surgerial heard from his doctor, doctor Neil Eltrosh. Coming up in less than fifteen minutes. First pitching Dodger Stadium, coming up at one ten.
Speaker 14: I had about nine without a hot dog.
Speaker 1: Who went's that it's time for the Hawfey magical moment.
Speaker 3: Ditch magical maget phone.
Speaker 1: Presented by Hawey Hot Dogs.
Speaker 2: Well, it's been two hundred and ninety three days since his last start for the Dodgers, but we go back to a start in twenty fourteen, September twenty fourth, twenty fourteen, Dodgers taking on the Giants, a day in which the Clayton Kershaw pitched and the Dodgers clenched.
Speaker 14: Kershaw's one hundred and seventeenth pitch, send the ball, swaiton good misses, strikeout number eleven for Clayton Kershaw. He hasn't walked anybody, and the Dodgers now are three outs away from their second consecutive National League Western Division titles. Wilson set the one to one to the left handed Didn't Blanco brown ball right side.
Speaker 8: Barney diving stop throws.
Speaker 14: Him out, and the Dodgers have won the National League Western Division title.
Speaker 8: It began six.
Speaker 14: Months, two days and ten thousand miles ago when Clayton Kershaw won his first game.
Speaker 7: Tonight, the Dodgers win their.
Speaker 14: Ninety first Clayton Kershaw wins his twenty eight first, and the Dodgers have won their second consecutive National League Western Division title.
Speaker 2: September twenty four twenty fourteen, Dodgers clinched their second NL West Crown, beating the Giants that day nine to one. Clayton Kershaw eight innings, eleven strikeouts. Giants would go on to win the World Series that year. This Hofee Magical moment brought to you by Hoffey Hot Doggs. They soak out treasure for over one hundred years. Visit hoffeybrand dot com to find out where you can purchase crave Malicious Hoffey Hot Dogs. Well we continue here on Dodgers on Deck. We'll check back in with Jose Motives. He leads up to first pitch. Happy Kershaw Day. He makes his return Dodgers Giants. I'm Tim Kates's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Is Lorongo Casino, Dodgers on Dodgers on Deck. Y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Giants. Happy Kershaw Day. Clayton Kershaw makes his return for starting twenty twenty four since offseason the shoulder surgery. First pitch coming up at one ten Dodgers fans. Start your future at a California community college. Financial eight eight's there to help you with tuition. The books and sometimes even the rent it's time to take that next big step. Classes they can fill up quickly, So enroll today at I can go to college dot com.
Speaker 1: And now joined by David Massey, Here's La Dodgers broadcaster and World Series Champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 6: One more game for a Jose Mota filling in for Rick Monday during the homestand but what a game to broadcast Clayton Kershaw's for Turn to the Mound.
Speaker 8: Just eight months after Lev's shoulder surgery.
Speaker 6: Jose, It's just remarkable to see how this guy has so driven to make it back. How we're talking about this in spring training is that July is it gonna be August? And then you're like, if it's Kersher, he's thinking July not August, right, But I think overall this is quite a test to him knowing that what he went through. As Dave Roberts said today, you know, there was one point where he didn't know if he was gonna make another Media League pitch. So it is emotional for Kersher, it is emotional for us, for the fans, and for a guy that's not just happy to be back, he wants to be back and contribute David, as you know, in a big way. When you watch him today, what will you be looking for to determine and paint the picture for us. I'm gonna see that slighter and see what it's doing. I don't think the pays is gonna be any issues. I've been watching him throw his similar to games here in the bullpens, and also want to see all his basketball plays because we know that in ninety one it plays well when his ladder is sharp. Downstairs, Freddie Freeman told me that when he faced Kersher, he says, I always thought slider. Okay, I sat slider, and before you know it, he threw me two fast FLEs inside for a strike. Then he finished me off with a slider. So everything looks like a fastball. But I think for Kersh today it's gonna be just to not exaggerate it and try to look for the punch out, gets him early outs and stay in the game as long as he can. I know Austin Barnes and Clayton Kershaw have a really good pitcher catcher relationship. That's obviously at the forefront of why Barnes is starting behind the plate today. But Will Smith, each of the last three full seasons has caught over one hundred games. How important is it for the Dodgers to continue to get something out of Austin Barnes on the offensive side. It's a plus And I'm just so happy that at Leasta's confidence is at a point now where Dave Roberts has options with him.
Speaker 7: We know that he is the best team bunter.
Speaker 6: He is the only guy pretty much you can count on when there's a situation with a safety squeeze. He's a good guy to me that I think I would put more hit and runs with him because he knows and understands how that plays out with the defense, right. But I think overall, when it comes down to calling games and getting a sense and a feel for what the opposing team is doing, he's so good. And Will Smith has gotten better with that too, because Will Smith is you know, talk to me about not holding having only just a game plan, but adjusting to what he sees guys doing in the batter's box and also with the swings and then day on top of that, how this tough plays out.
Speaker 7: So you have a great combination of Austin Barnes.
Speaker 6: Will knows this so well kersh you'll see in that face pulling down the fingers or electronically obviously hearing the signs, and then the comfort level down your stadium. It should be a very special day between those two. Yeah, Barnes is a great guy because pitchers have told me Jose that yes there's a pregame plan, but he is so good at adapting to what's happening in the game, but also not giving up on certain pitches just because it may not be working early exactly. And I think that's where the veterans leadership comes in, or your mental fortitude has to say I believe in this picture because we talked about it before the game. Maybe let's abandon it for a little, but we got to bring it back. Why because they're looking for it and we want him to look for it. And then before you know it, you can pitch backwards, bring that pitch back and have the opposing team going, well, we thought you didn't have it before you know you're going to strike three because you played it played the smarty. But in this game today day, a lot of times, with so much planning and preparing and graphics and analytics, they've gone away from just studying and watching what's happening between the white lines, and how say, guys taking early pitches right then, why wife's breaking pitches Now? A guy like Kersher can still to strigle to break the ball, but he's got to get right after people fill his zone, but hopefully induce also down on the zone with early contact.
Speaker 7: One thing we cannot forget. My last thing on kershoris he is a tremendous ground ball pitcher.
Speaker 6: And because he is a power pitcher, he's like forty seven percent ground ball in his career, which is just amazing to know that when he has that weapon working.
Speaker 7: For him, he's gonna use it.
Speaker 8: That's why you gotta have good defense behind him.
Speaker 6: Nick Ahmed making his second started shortstop as the Dodger hose should be fun Kershaw Day for the first time in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 8: Tim, we'll send it back to you in the studio, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Thanks a lot, guys.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Baseball brought to you by our friends in Speedy Cash, official sponsor of every LA Weekend. Find out more at Speedy Cash dot com. We're stopping in LA area Speedy Cash store. Still to come here on Dodgers on Deck we'll get you a preview of this pitching matchup. Steven will be back with Jose and get you those keys in the game. But up next, don't go anywhere. The man who performed the surgery on the shoulder of Clayton Kershaw, doctor Neil Ela Trush.
Speaker 3: You'll hear from him next.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Giants first pitcher one ten. I'm Tim Katsus Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Howork.
Speaker 1: This is Wrongo Cassino, Dodgers Hunts on game on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Dodgers and Giants.
Speaker 2: Clayton Kershaw makes his return after offseason shoulder surgery. First start here in twenty twenty four. Dodgers Baseball is presented by Children's Hospital LA. When you need the very best care for your child, go to Children's Hospital LA, ranking number one in California for pediatric care. Find the right doctor at HLA dot org.
Speaker 1: And now what will likely be vasse fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 3: It's an engagement of endearment this high and tight.
Speaker 6: It's Kershaw Day at Dodgers Stadium for the first time this season, and a big reason why Clayton Kershaw is on the mound today is because of the greatest orthopedic surgeon in the world, and he is the Dodgers team physician. Everybody from William Shatner to Tom Brady to Kobe Bryant to Clayton Kershaw comes to see this man, and that is the great doctor Neil Elatrosh. Doctor Elatrosh, really special to have you on this day, more than any other day in recent memory.
Speaker 15: Well, David, I don't know how you can expect me to sit through that introduction. It's a it's very very generous, but I've been waiting for this day, probably as much more than anybody, maybe with the exception of Clayton.
Speaker 6: There's a great story recently in The New Yorker and it just describes the trust that you build with your patients.
Speaker 8: How much trust did you have.
Speaker 6: To build with Clayton to be able to not only have them to your home the night before the surgery, but also for him to entrust you with his pitching future.
Speaker 15: I think that you hit on the thing that's the main ingredient. It's absolutely necessary to take care of these kinds of athletes, and you know, really anybody to have a physician have somebody's health in their hands. I think that without trust, you know, the results never would reach their potential. But that especially true for athletes and athletes at this level. I've noticed that that's probably the most important ingredient is trust, and it goes both ways. I have to trust that, you know, he's going to give me all the information I need to take the best care of him I can, and he obviously has to trust me that that I'm going to I'm going to do everything I need to do everything I can do to to take as good a care of.
Speaker 10: Him as possible.
Speaker 15: You know, without it, nothing works well. With it, everything's possible.
Speaker 6: Doctor Neil el A Josh not only the best as far as orthopedic surgeons go in the world, but as you can tell, he cares about the people that are trusting him.
Speaker 10: You are one of one.
Speaker 8: There's no doubt about that. He's one of one.
Speaker 6: Is this surgery for him to be able to be on the mound eight months later one of one.
Speaker 10: He's He's the.
Speaker 15: First one that I know of that is coming back to sports at this level with the with this particular operation.
Speaker 10: They to be able to do what we did, it.
Speaker 15: Had to be done arthroscopically for him to have a chance of being able to rehabit and get his motion back to be able to give him a chance to play this year. And if we couldn't accomplish that, and it would have had to be done with a more invasive approach, we wouldn't be where we are. And the problem with this particular diagnosis is it's really exceedingly difficult, some think not possible to accomplish this arthroscopically.
Speaker 6: Doctor Neil Elatrosh is our guest on Kershaw Day. Clayton Kershaw making his season debut this afternoon. When you come to the stadium on a daylight today, how emotional will you be when you see him warm up today?
Speaker 15: I mean, I think that maybe that does describe it. I will have a lot of emotion about it. I had those same emotions when when I saw Walker come back this year.
Speaker 10: But but you know, whenever.
Speaker 15: You go through something like this and you see what what they've done and the way they've gone about it, like like Clayton, you can't help but really feel the gravity and the and the emotion of the situation. You know, you know, watching him make the decision, well what he was going to do this.
Speaker 10: Year, and all he wanted, all he wanted.
Speaker 15: To do was to make sure that he could live up to and fulfill what whatever a baseball contract would would want coming back on the other side to you know, what what his obligation was. And and I just I watched him go through it, and it was remarkable.
Speaker 10: You know how much integrity he has.
Speaker 15: He's he's a hard worker, ultimate, ultimate professional, and it's been a real privilege to see.
Speaker 10: I've learned a lot from him.
Speaker 15: I've learned a lot from him about pitching, things that I that I will carry through and be able to, you know, hopefully help other people. I already have used some of the knowledge I've gained from him and people like Walker, and so it's it's shaped and formed a lot of and informed a lot of my my thinking about how to take care of these guys. But he's been a remarkable partner to go through this with.
Speaker 10: And he did all the work. I did a little surgery, he did all the work.
Speaker 6: Doctor elatrosh thanks a lot for the time, no doubt. Right next to Ellen and the kids, you are going to be very proud and maybe the biggest smile at Dodger stadium right next to them on Clayton Kershaw's season debut.
Speaker 15: Thanks David, it's an honor privilege to work with him and to talk to you.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 8: I don't know about that.
Speaker 6: It's my honor and privilege to be in your presence, the great doctor Neil elatrosh.
Speaker 7: We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 8: Tim this day would not be here without.
Speaker 10: Him, no doubt about that.
Speaker 3: Appreciated David.
Speaker 2: Speaking of injuries, Chris Taylor officially placed on the injured list with a left growing string just a few minutes ago by the Dodgers James Autman on his way back from Oklahoma City. He has been recalled and back with the team.
Speaker 3: So there you go.
Speaker 2: Chris Taylor goes on the il. James Altman back, and so is Clayton Kershaw. Two hundred and ninety three days since making his last start.
Speaker 3: He is back. He just heard from his team.
Speaker 2: Doctor will dive deeper into the numbers when we come back, So we'd lead you up.
Speaker 3: To first pitch.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Baseball brought to you by Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner. The Dodgers Audio broadcast when it's game Day. It's group Day at Shakey's dot Com. I'm Tim Katess Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Networks.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deap on your home for the Blue all season long.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Giants. Final game of this four game series, final the Guy. A final game between these two teams all regular season. Yeah, they won't see each other in August or September. Thank you. Balanced schedule in baseball. First pitch coming up at one ten.
Speaker 1: And now before the Dodgers hit the dining we look at the pitching.
Speaker 2: Matchups presented by your Southern California Toyota Dealers. Turn your trail dominating off roading dreams into a reality. Get an all New twenty twenty four Tacoma. See your Toyota dealer today. They make it easy Logan web on the mounds seven and eight, three point fifty nine ERA twenty seven year old right hander make it his twenty second start last time out, six innings, four runs, eight hits, four strikeouts on the loss of the Rockies on Saturday. But today it's all about Clayton Kershall, the thirty six year old left hander. In the seventeen season in the Big League's ten time All Star, three times Say Young Award winner, World Series Champ, future Hall of Famer makes his twenty twenty four debut after offseason shoulder surgery. It's been two hundred and ninety three days since his last start. He made three rehab appearances, is allowing three runs over ten innings in his most recent outing. He went four innings sixty seven pitches. In his career against the Giants twenty six and sixteen two oh one erara, four hundred and two strikeouts in fifty nine games, which includes fifty seven starts at Dodger Stadium, twenty nine career starts, two thirty four ERA.
Speaker 3: And eleven wins.
Speaker 2: It's Clayton Kershaw. He is back Dodger fans, and he's taken on the Giants. We're fifteen minutes away from first pitch. Keys to the game. Our next, I'm Tim Kats's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: Dodgers Giants.
Speaker 2: Clayton Kershaw makes his start first in twenty twenty four. First pitch coming up and won ten Dodgers fans and Hansher listening experience. Catch every Kershaw pitch by downloading the iHeart Radio app and listening to Dodger games and HD take it with you on the go on your mobile device. It is Crystal Clear powered by la Care Health Plan serving all Angelinos lacare dot org. Before first pitch, so ted back got to Stephen Nelson, Jose Mota, guys.
Speaker 7: Thank you TC.
Speaker 4: We're getting closer to Clayton Kershaw's first pitch to the twenty twenty four campaign as the Dodgers and Giants will wrap up this four game series, the Dodgers trying to take this series from their rivals the last time these two teams will play in this new balance schedule before they go on the road to Houston, San Diego and Oakland. Clinton Kershaw fifty six strikeout shy of three thousand for his career, and he is opposite the Giants.
Speaker 7: Ace Logan Webb.
Speaker 6: Logan Webb is a strike thrower who knows and understands how to approach this ball clumb how to also pitch under these conditions. I'm talking about the heat and the fact that he knows the dollars are missing some key points. The one guy he's not gonna miss is Bookie Benz is like, you know what, I'm glad.
Speaker 7: He's not in fine up today.
Speaker 6: But the Dalliers know they have their hands full with they guy the lexic compete just like Clinton Kershew. It should be a nice paced game by the way here Steven today on getaway Day. And overall though, going back to Kershaw, I am so glad Stephen, we get a chance to forget that last look we had on her show here in October, that look of the over them that dugout in the playoffs, and he has a chance again to redeem himself and be perhaps a very important piece here going forward.
Speaker 4: You just knew that after what happened in Game one against the Diamondbacks, just third of an inning, six runs and six hits, we don't need to relive it. But that was not going to be the last that we saw Clayton Kershaw. The competitor in him was not going to allow that to happen. The pride that he has in himself and his legacy was not going to allow that to happen.
Speaker 7: And he has.
Speaker 4: Worked his way back from surgery and he has returned to the Major League mound here at Dodgers Stadium. It's a beautiful sight and we will see it in a matter of moments, the Dodgers and Giants for the last time in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you, guys.
Speaker 2: Dodgers start today sixty one and forty two on this season. Right behind them the San Diego Padres, who just keep on winning. They've won now five in a row. Dylan sees through a no hitter for them in Washington to beat the Nationals already, so at the moment, the Dodgers seven game lead could go back to seven and a.
Speaker 3: Half with a win.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Giants, it's Clayton Kershaw on the mound.
Speaker 10: He's back.
Speaker 3: Enjoy this one. I'm Tim Casey has been wrong with Casino.
Speaker 10: Dodgers on deck.
Speaker 3: I'm Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network