Speaker 1: One thing about this gene is the invisible and tangibles that they have.
Speaker 2: This team is really becoming a family.
Speaker 3: Let's not play one on Tom. Let's win this.
Speaker 4: I love writing me these guys after the show. So just thank you.
Speaker 5: Give me all your attention, your fire, and not a pisson.
Speaker 6: This is world champion, Dodger, world championing for a small soft time.
Speaker 5: They get up people what they want to die to A row two is special.
Speaker 6: I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache.
Speaker 5: One of them. Come, this ball's gone. You ready to go? Hell time go to the South.
Speaker 6: Grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven.
Speaker 5: I'll go to the show.
Speaker 6: And now your host of Dodger Talk, David.
Speaker 5: Vasse, our second Dodger Talk of the night. Welcome to postgame Dodger Talk. The Dodgers hold on for a seven to five win in thirteen innings at City Field over the Mets. Bad night in New York. The Yankees lost to the Rockies, the Knicks lost again to the Pacers, They're down two in the Eastern Finals, and the Mets losing thirteen innings to the Dodgers. Tonight, seven to five, So great, Sorry Gotham, bad night for you tonight, and a great night for the West Coast, the best coast, the Dodgers holding on for a seven to five win in thirteen innings. We have phone lines open at eight, six, six, nine, eighty seven, two, five seventy. We're with you until eleven thirty tonight on this beautiful Friday night in Los Angeles. And I know if the Dodgers would have lost this game, we would have a full border calls right now. But somehow, some way, the phone lines are wide open. We had a full border calls for an hour and thirty eight minutes this afternoon on raind Lay Dodger Talk and it was a great show. It was electric. We kept people accountable. We had a great pizza recommendation, and then we had another pizza expert call in and really give us some high end recommendation. So if you miss that show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. But usually when we do that long of a raind Lay Dodger Talk show and it's this late at night on the East Coast, we usually say, you know what, just go back to the iHeartRadio app and listen to the show there, But tonight had so many twists and turns and intriguing plays that I felt like we needed to talk about it after the game. And even Jose Mota feels that way. Jose Mota is going to join us at eleven fifteen, and before we get into the wackiness of the ninth inning and other things. You know, the Dodgers won this game, but it came at a price, a high price. And it wasn't just because Tenor Scott blew the save in the ninth inning. It was because of the rain. They knew rain was in the forecast. We have seen so many times when the Dodgers are on the East Coast where Major League Baseball and the teams agree, you know what, instead of burning your starting pitchers, both Mets and Dodgers, both Dodgers and any other team fill in the blank. As recently as the last road trip in Atlanta, where we waited three hours before our first pitch was thrown, we could have done the same thing tonight. Rain had been talked about. Going back to last week, the sports Net LA crew is debating do we go straight to Cleveland, do we go to New York? There might be a doubleheader because of rain on Friday. Well here it was rain on Friday and they said, go ahead, start the game. Well they started the game in the third inning. The Skies opened up for an hour and thirty eight minutes, which burned both Clayton Kershaw and Griffin Canning. The Mets bullpen has not been as taxed as the Dodgers. We all know that, so this was more costly to the Dodgers that they had to cover at the time at the very least six innings. Little did we know they were going to have to cover ten innings for a thirteen inning game. And after Kershaw was stopped because of rain, Matt Sower came in to pitch three innings. He did well, gave up one and running three innings. Ben Caspirius has been a star since last World Series, and tonight no different. Three no hit innings for Caspirius with six strikeouts. He did his job. He got the ball to Tanner Scott with a three run lead, and Tanner Scott blew another save. Now I will say this the last game that Tanner Scott saved. I don't know what's going on, but I rarely see a reliever warm up with one of those sleeves on their pitching arm. He took it off when he came into the game, and I couldn't see him in the bullpen tonight. And also, Tanner Scott has now pitched in three games in the last four days. That's usually the limit, and we probably won't see him until Monday at the earliest in Cleveland. The reality is, and I go back to my conversation with Elvis Andrews in Texas. Elvis Andrews, as you know, one of the longtime great Rangers, a right handed hitter that faced Tanner Scott when he was just emerging coming up with the Orioles and dabbling with the Marlins. Elvis and Andrews faced him, and we were standing right there, right next to the on deck circle at Globelize Field as Tanner Scott was dealing to the Rangers and got the save that night, but certainly was bailed out by his defense. And Andrews even told me that fastball is not the same that slider doesn't have the same bite. That's not David Vasse talking. That's a former, really good Major leaguer that faced that guy. And you don't have to be a baseball expert, if you watched any of Tanner Scott last year, to realize this guy is not the same guy, and is he trying to pitch through something. Is it that dead arm period that pitchers go through in spring training and sometimes at the beginning of the regular season. Because he has not looked like the same guy. And if you watch the game tonight, the fastball, he had pretty good command of it. That's how he got two strikes on virtually every hitter he faced. But he couldn't put away McNeil. He couldn't put away Tyrone Taylor either. And you know, he was very lucky that Juan Soto is moping these days, because Juan Soto did not look like Juan Soto in that at that or in this game. Soto is over tonight with one walk. But nonetheless, that was the one out Tanner Scott got, ironically, was Juan Soto. Outside of that, he couldn't put hitters away with his slider. His slider did not seem good. You know, I mentioned this during the Dodger Clubhouse show, going back to my original partner on this show, Kevin Kennedy, Rick honeycutt Oral Herscheizer that no pitching. They'll describe a pitcher that's not finishing his pitches, his secondary pitches as casting, meaning they're just kind of flipping it out there. They're not really throwing it with conviction. They're not extending their arm. The way they described it is it's basically you casting a fishing pole doing it that way, and you can't live that way. And it felt like I heard their voices in my head as I was watching Tanner Scott throw his sliders tonight as casting those sliders? Was he holding something back? Third the game in four days? Is the arm barking because of that? But he's pitching through it because he understands the predicament of the Dodger bullpen. I think those are all valley questions. You can't just say this guy stinks. He doesn't stink. The Dodgers gave him a big contract, and when they did, everybody was so jealous and envious and resentful. They signed Tanner Scott last year, he was dominant, only had two blown saves this year already he has four eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. With all that being said, the Dodgers used eight different pitchers tonight to get this win, and we'll see what chairs they move on the deck tomorrow to bring in a fresh arm to that bullpen. Also, Dave Roberts already announced that the scheduled live batting practice throw Otani was going to have tomorrow has been pushed back to Sunday at the earliest because of how late it is. Right now now in New York, eight sixty six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Corey and Santa Clarita. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 2: Corey, Hey, David, how you doing.
Speaker 5: I'm doing great. I mean, whoever lost this game tonight was not gonna feel great. But I feel like if the Dodgers would have lost it, they would have felt worse after using as many pitchers as they did and Tanner Scott blowing the save in the ninth.
Speaker 2: So what I what I was wondering? I read I read an article that we always we as the Dodgers, always have great pitching and always have we can always turn around something we try to fake something. I heard that people around Tanner Scott or something. He used to nibble at the edges and now he's too much in to the strike zone and that might be his downfall. He was I think you were talking about it earlier. The command is not as good.
Speaker 5: With the slider, it wasn't as good. But I will say this, even though he hasn't been as dominant, he's not walking as many hitters as he was walking last year because he has twenty five strikeouts this year and only two walks. Last year he had eighty four strikeouts and thirty six walks, So his whip, his walks are lower than what they were a year ago. So maybe he's trying to figure out whatever the Dodgers have adjusted to and he's got to figure it out, you know, or go back to his old self because what he was doing was working. I like that he's not walking hitters despite what he did tonight. But yeah, I mean that's part of the equation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I do love that. And I know the Dodgers have a great feel for pictures and they try to tweak things here and there. And I read a fact that we had the same record two years ago through fifty games. Yeah, the first season does matter. It's just all.
Speaker 5: Differences, Corey. The differences this year. The Dodgers are redlining. They're pitching, and there's not a lot of reinforcements in the bullpen right now. It's not even about the starting staff, because they are gonna get glass Now back, They are going to get Blake Snell back. But are you certain they're going to get Evan Phillips back? Are you certain they're gonna get Blake Trenning back? And you know you can't make a trade between now and the trade deadline until probably forty eight hours for a difference maker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with with Trinan and Phillips, that form and that elbow. That scares me.
Speaker 5: But well, all of it scares me because right now they've thrown more innings than any other bullpen out there. Coming into the game tonight, they had thrown two hundred and fourteen innings. Add ten more to that. They're up to two twenty four now. So that's the concerning part. The Dodgers have mastered the regular season, but right now they're in a very dangerous fought with their pitching, and they're facing really good teams and they cannot afford to have what happened tonight happened too often. Thanks for the phone call Corey, appreciate it. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Another play that I wanted to bring up tonight that I thought was absolutely ridiculous and I think we all agree on this is Trip Gibson, the third base umpire tonight, calling obstruction on Max Munsey in the bottom of the fourth inning. And you know, the Apple broadcast had Brian Gorman, who was a former major league umpire in the zoom room to be kind of like what Mike Pereira is for Fox in the NFL, to explain the rules and the calling and interpretations and all that. It just seemed like Brian Gorman was trying to justify Trip Gibson's horrible call because what he said, yes, was the rule, but that's not what took place. Trip Gibson was not trailing Starling Marte. Marte had more than enough daylight to see taoscar Hernandez make that catch. That was an overzealous umpire inserting himself where he did not need to insert himself. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Sarquise since Santa Clarita, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi Sarquise.
Speaker 7: Hey, how you doing, Dave. Yeah, you just kind of took everything I was gonna say. That call was so bad. I'm just hoping going forward, these umpires don't kind of copycat and do what the third base umpire did tonight.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't even know why. That was in the back of his mind. And by the way, when Andy Pa has hit his sacrifice fly to score ti Oscar Hernandez in the thirteenth Dino Ebol was making a point to Trip Gibson and saying, hey, if you're gonna call obstruction on Muncie, this guy's standing in the same spot. And so Dina I wasn't letting it go even in the thirteenth inning tonight. I love that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I saw that, and I agree with you, and I just hope this doesn't become a normal thing where umpires, you know, take it upon themselves to, you know, get these rules out of their hat. It's a rule, I get it, but it happens all the time. If you're didn't call this, then you know.
Speaker 5: It doesn't I disagree with you. It doesn't happen all the time. It doesn't happen all the time, and it didn't happen that time either. I mean, Munsey was just kind of there, he was close to the bag. He wasn't even on the bag. That was I don't know why Trip Gibson decided to make that call, But it doesn't happen all the time. It just doesn't. And he was maybe Trip Gibson was out of position. How about that. Just because he couldn't see Taoscar make the catch doesn't mean Mark te couldn't see ti Oscar make the catch.
Speaker 7: And my second point, Dave, is this, Juan Soto is going to go down as the worst free agent signing in the history of baseball for two reasons. Number one, the size of the contract, obviously the biggest contracts in history. And number two, his attitude. Terrible attitude, terrible teammate. I think the Mets got what they deserve. That's all I got.
Speaker 5: Thank you, all right, Sarkiz, thank you for the phone call. Well, I don't know about the attitude or you know. The one thing about Juan Soto is he loved being a Yankee, it seems like by all reports, and right now he's not playing with a lot of joy, and certain players need to play with joy. And Juan Soto, you know, number one, he's not a good outfielder, I don't care what anybody will tell you, and he's not going to get better. So eventually you're going to have a guy that doesn't generate the revenue that Otani generates, and he's only going to be a dh Part of the reason that Otani is who Otani is is not only is he a great baseball player, but he's an attraction. Wan Soto is not an attraction. I'm sorry. This was just an ego buy by Steve Cohen to say, you know what, I want to take this guy away from the Yankees. And Jorge Castillo, who covers the Yankees and Mets for ESPN, joined us on the Off Days Show yesterday and basically said Juan Soto wanted to go back to the Yankees for seven hundred plus million dollars, but his family pushed him to sign with the Mets and take a larger contract, even though he preferred to stay in pinstripes. So obviously there's some disconnect there and we'll see where it goes. But we don't want to see Jan Soto take off until he leaves LA next week, because he certainly doesn't look like the player we saw in twenty nineteen with the Nationals. He certainly doesn't look like the player that we saw with the Yankees. We kind of saw lapses like this with the Padres. He didn't seem like he was fitting in really well there. So we've seen this version of Juan Soto and it doesn't usually go well. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number Dodgers hold on for a seven to five win in thirteen innings tonight at City Field over the Mets. And by the way, I know the Dodgers we're talking to Boris and Soto about being involved in signing for him. Uh, if they signed Juan Soto, does that mean they don't sign Tioscar Hernandez. Because if I'm in that room and they're asking me, who would you rather have Juan Soto or Tioscar Hernandez on my team in a team sport, not just home run derby or in a vacuum, I would take eight nine ti Oscar Hernandez is over eight or nine Jan Sotos eight six six ninety eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Bob and Malibu. Hi, Bob, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 8: Uncle Dave.
Speaker 3: Always good to be with you, Man.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Bob. What do you got well?
Speaker 3: First of all, big thanks to you, Colin and Dwayne for sticking out a long day.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate you guys doing that for all and calling fans and Colin he of course. Man absolutely had a chance to hear from Eric Carros a while back, and he talked about baseball and he talked about the grind and what you guys are doing is part of the grind that comes with this sport that players go through, coaching staff, everybody. So thanks, Man, appreciate you guys doing what you do.
Speaker 5: Hey, thank you, Bob. What'd you think about the game tonight?
Speaker 3: It was a wild game, man. You know, I couldn't agree with you more. There was a lot of twists and turns to this game. I don't think it was a textbook game by any any means whatsoever. I think my biggest question for you is, and you've been talking it up, it's been a wild week of calls for you too, man, Like you said, all of a sudden, all this love for Taylor and Barnes that hasn't been there in years popped out of the woodwork. And then you've even got a guy arguing pizza with you earlier, man. So it's been a while to be on the callboard for you too, man. But my question is, you know where does the pitching go from from here? Like, what do we do with the bullpen tomorrow? Does your man also get a call in the middle of the night. What happens now?
Speaker 4: Dave?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Frosso main, I don't know the last time Frosso pitched. I gotta look that up. Is it justin Roblesky? I gotta look when the last time he pitched. Because they're gonna need an arm. Maybe they don't need to use it tomorrow, but they may need to use it on Sunday. So yeah, they need an arm. They need an arm, and they need more importantly, Bob, Tony Gonsolin to be Tony Gonsolin that we have grown to know and go at least six innings tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Agree. Agree, He's got to show up. He's got to give us some depth, he's got to get some run support put in his mind at ease a little bit so he can go a little deeper into the game, you know, just to get a little bit of linked out of some starting pitching, which we desperately need. I agree with you, Ben, but it's interesting to me to see how they're gonna play it. Like you said, who are they going to move up the ladder? The Dodgers are really good at making those moves. Thank goodness, who got some guys who are happy to come up on moments notice and really get in the game and be competitive. Man, kudos to Ben Casparius once again. The guy has proven to be something of a standout this year.
Speaker 5: Man, no doubt, he broke up, he broke out last year in Game four of the World Series. He came to spring training just as good as he was, if not better than last year. And like he has told me on many occasions, he just doesn't want to go back to Oklahoma City. He doesn't care if he starts, he doesn't care if he closes, he doesn't care if he comes in after an hour and thirty eight minute rain delay. He just wants to be up here. And you could tell he has that passion and toughness that it takes to be in that role. Eight six six ninety seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's take another phone call before we check in with Jose Mota. Let's go out to Irvine. Brandon, You're on Dodger Talk. Hi Brandon, Hello.
Speaker 4: David, Big Panny, yours first time calling that you do a great show. I think thank you brand Over talking about you're welcome. Talking about Soto Hernandez, you're right dead on, one hundred percent, much better player all the way around, and he's paid a fraction of what Soto makes. But my main reason for calling is this pitching is you've been talking about is really scary to me as a lifelong fan. We had like ten pitchers on the d l or ten guys that we know their names, Emmitt she and I can't even think of the other guy last year that's been out for like a year. He did really good for us until he blew his arm out.
Speaker 5: That was Gavin Stone. He made more starts for the Dodgers last year than any other pitcher. He made thirty starts for the Dodgers last year, and he blew out his shoulder. That's the difference between this year. Hold up, that's the difference between last year and this year. You had river Ryans, you had Gavin Stones, you had guys like that you could tap into, and this year you just don't have that. I mean, the Dodgers really needed Bobby Miller to make to make the next step, and he hasn't taken that next step, at least right now. That's that's a part of this season that a lot of people don't realize. The Dodgers were kind of counting on for Bobby Miller to take that next step and he hasn't.
Speaker 4: You took the name out of my brain, which is Rever Ryan. What's up with him? Is he coming back anytime this year? Any word on him?
Speaker 5: No? No, He had Tommy John surgery. He blew out towards the end of last year, so that's a fourteen month process, so you're not going to see him until next year.
Speaker 4: And what about him?
Speaker 5: Emit Shean had Tommy John surgery early last year in spring training or just a month into the season, so he's facing hitters. He's about to go out on rehab assignments if he already hasn't, and the Dodgers expect him to be back in the second half of the season. Okay, that, but all that doesn't help them right now. They need help right now. They don't need help in June or July. They need help right now. That's the concerning part.
Speaker 4: You're right about that. Well, I think if we can go on, like you said, we're probably not going to make any big moves until the trade deadline or closer to it. But my thing is, if we could start having those conversations, I think we're gonna need a couple of people, especially with Evan Phillips being a question mark and trying and being a question mark. We can't get to the end of the season and have you know, bullpen sessions in playoff games a week.
Speaker 2: We got away with.
Speaker 4: It last year, but I don't think we should keep rolling those dice. But I just want to thank you for letting me speak my mind, David, and uh and I want to hear what you have to say about what I just said.
Speaker 5: All right, I think we had the conversation. Appreciate it. Brandon eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk when we come back. More of your phone calls. Also, we're gonna check in with Jose Mota, who's doing double duty as well. He called in during the rain delays show. He's gonna check in next get his thoughts on some of the calls in this game and just how the Dodgers navigate moving forward. The Dodgers hold on for a seven to five win in thirteen innings on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 6: On air at AM five to seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassing. The pitch, the.
Speaker 6: Oscar rips it bear down the line into the left field corner. Here comes Will Smith. Finally somebody breaks through and they wear Dodger Blue.
Speaker 5: Ta Oscar Hernandez for the second straight game, coming up with the biggest hit of the night. Remember at Dodger Stadium two nights ago, a go ahead three run home run Tonight, ta Oskar her and As to the rescue in the thirteenth inning with a basit to drive in Will Smith from second base. The Dodgers would tack on another run and beat the Mets in thirteen Tonight seven to five Dodger Talk postgame edition after a rain delay edition earlier this afternoon. We're going to the bottom of the hour. We have three lines open. We'll get back to your phone calls in just a moment, but first.
Speaker 6: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 5: All right, Jose Mota, we talked about it during the rain delay. The Dodgers had to cover more innings than we anticipated. How do they navigate the next couple of games in New York and even the rest of this road trip considering the bullpen again had to cover ten innings tonight.
Speaker 8: Well, David standard answers. They got through tonight, so let's see what happens from here on. Hopefully there's some reinforcement coming up soon. But man, you gotta plow the job by Soured going out there is doing their job intervening. I mean, Torito came in a hard spot and got through that middle of the order. But Dave, let's wait till tomorrow, see what kind of moves are made and see what was available and go from there. Attorney, they did a good job holding back to top to the middle of the order of the Mets tonight, and we're at team to play so well at home.
Speaker 5: Jose, Obviously you've been around baseball your whole life. You've heard the term casting pitches. Am I seeing? Am I describing what I'm seeing? Do you feel like Tanner Scott is not extending his pitches, not pitching with conviction? Do you feel like he's casting his pitches? Is that part of the reason why he has blown four saves this year?
Speaker 8: That's part of the reason why. Yes, the names you mentioned, I mean Rick Huneycutt Oral, but I'm going to go back to something that Clayton Kershaw told me back in twenty twenty two when he says, I need to rip the slider. I need to really rip it. Something he learned from somebody else, Jake Arietta, And that is what we're not seeing Tanner Scott doing it consistent basis. There's some very good sliders that he throws. But I think overall day, I'll tell you one thing, and watching his his heat map and the strike zone and the quadrants. If he's an even lesser velocity, say ninety five ninety six, or he can go ninety seven ninety eight, but it seems like if he's around the knees. That slider could be a little mediocre and steal cut people out anytime he elevates. That's why lefties are getting him because when he elevates is a straight fastball, and then the slider doesn't have that bite. I mean, there's no reason to see a guy with that kind of arm who dominated i mean totally embarras lefties last year to allow her to average over three forty against lefties this season. And it has to be a lot with the height and when he's pitching, maybe he's overthrowing him. There's something that we don't know about, but certainly that ripping effect that Kersher has talked to me about is not there on a consistent basis, and teams know that if we see that, Believe me, teams pay attention to that. And when they see pitches above the zone, which is also an indicator from a lot of hitting coaches to say he comes up around the zone. In fact, watch your warm up and see what he does in warm ups, and that'll tell you a lot of what's happening with him. If he's finishing off nicely and down on the zone is very unhittable because everything looks pretty much the same when he's up on the zone, it just doesn't look the same.
Speaker 5: Well have you noticed as well the walks are down, and the caller was very observing, is what is the connection between how the Dodgers got him to be more in the strike zone and the fastball velocity being a tick down on average from last year.
Speaker 8: A lot of times is adapting to a philosophy and something that's been implemented here with the Dodgers. And if it's that feel zone little bit more with your stuff, that takes a little bit of time. If he came from the school of the Marlins and before that the Oils and went to the Potters last year. But if his em all has been pitched around the edges, go to the edges and spread the zone, that leads to success and at the same time, it leads to more walks. So if it leads to more walks, and even though you allow lessons and you pitch and he's pitched, it's still gonna be pitching with a lot of traffic. And that's something you do not want to see your closer do now as a full time closer for this team, and the high leverage games is going to be playing against in this division. I will prefer to see him more strikes than being around the edges, because you do that against some of these lineups and before you know it, one ball, one pitch up of the zone, a wild pitch, one play that may's going to cost you more. So that's where I can go today, just thinking about perhaps something that's been implemented against philosophy that he's not. He is getting used to, but for sure, to me, it's going to be about pitching down in the zone more often than pitching upstairs, so when he pitches up fairs, it's more effective.
Speaker 5: Jose Mota is joining us after the Dodgers beat the Mets in thirteen innings tonight, seven to five. All right, Hose, let's go back to the play that everybody's talking about, and not in a good way. For third base umpire Trip Gibson, what did you make about that obstruction call. I'm not going to say that cost the Dodgers winning this game in nine innings, but certainly a run's a run and that run should not have scored.
Speaker 2: It's going to.
Speaker 8: Observe that because it's a play that doesn't happen very often and at times as a defender, you are taught in DMFL. Hey, you know what, if you can just get around the area to not allow they got to get a great look and maybe jump the call and jump the play. So go ahead and do it. But what I saw was a lot of daylight. I mean, you and I were talking during the game, and I did not. The biggest indicator is if you see the runner either leaning back or leaning forward too much, that's your indication as an umpire, you know what, he can't see the play. But that was not the case at all. Starting Mark is standing on the bad He is totally just you know, straight and narrow, just watching for task, and so he had enough to see it. Now, the interpretation he gave was because a play was so close to the play, you can go ahead and implement that play. But at the same time, that's why later in the game he does not make a call like that, even though you know Eagles pointing at it and Max months he's pointing at it because there's no play of the plate. But it's one where I think he missed it that there's no doubt about it. If there's enough day that you can also make an adjustment. As a base runner to make sure that he scored that run too.
Speaker 5: What did you make of Dino hammering home that point when tai Oscar Hernandez tagged up and scored in the thirteenth inning on the PA Haz fly ball, Dino was in Trip Gibson's ear all the way while they were reviewing Hayes Sun Kim being being safer out. I mean, you we saw it on the broadcast that Dino was obviously in Trick Gibson's ear, probably still talking about that call.
Speaker 8: And probably trying to get an explanation why that one was different. And as I mentioned before, because there's no play at the plate to go out there and say that was a major fact in that play scoring when I was going in a close play. But I think overall, Dino is soul. Where we're talking about base running during our rendela and here it is again coming up, you have to just put it in the part and explanation. Next months, he got next flash and himself in the dugout from Trip Gibson. So those are pleasure because they don't happen very often. You want to have a clear interpretation as to what he saw what you can prevent, but certainly know that you did nothing around the fielder, and as a base coach, also for you for your base runners to be aware if that happens, what to look for, what to call for from when I'm part of going.
Speaker 5: Forward, all right, Jose, thanks for staying up late with us. Thanks for doing double duty tonight, and we'll talk to you tomorrow after game two of this series.
Speaker 8: It's a pleasure. I hope you'll get some pizza somewhere because we were talking about pizza before the game.
Speaker 5: Show.
Speaker 8: Go on and get some pizza.
Speaker 5: You deserve some late night pizza now, right, Jose, After that game you just oh why not?
Speaker 4: It was a win.
Speaker 5: We celebrate, all right, Hose, you too. We'll talk to you tomorrow. Thanks. Jose Mota part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast and certainly knows the game really well and love tapping into Jose after every game here on Dodger Talk. Eight six six seven two seventy is the phone number. Let's take a couple of more calls before we say goodnight. Gotta go to Marco who's listening in Alberta, Canada. Marco, how you doing. You're on Dodger Talk. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: Oh, David vessaid, no way you're gonna I'm gonna have to follow Mota. I can't give you any more input than that.
Speaker 5: Oh, come on, You're a Canadian, you could do it.
Speaker 1: Listen. I've been a longtime fan of you and of course the Dodgers. I wanted just to express that. Man, you've always been good with keeping that balance between being objective and also being a Dodger fan. I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: And you know who taught me right growing up listening to Vin Scully. He never lets you know that he was cheering. That's just kind of the staple of what we grew up with in Los Angeles. When it comes to broadcasters, Vince Scully, Bob Miller, Chick Hern, we all knew they wanted their teams to win, but they never let it be overtally obvious on the broadcasts.
Speaker 1: Oh that makes that makes a lot of sense. Thank you for that. Again. Being up here in Canada, I get connected through iHeartRadio. I listened to or I listened to you, and uh, you know, I miss it, but I'm still with you. I'm concerned a bit about the injuries. I'm concerned about the bullpen but you know, at this point, I know that we're better than the boat the Blue Jays, which is the team up here that uh yeah, you know up here. Yeah, that's what I see up here.
Speaker 5: Anyways, a lot worse, right, you could be the Blue Jays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, I just want to thank you, and I do. I kind of want to give you a top five just because I'm a I'm from the eighties and I just want you to give me, give you you to give me my thoughts. So Steve Sachs or Herscheizer, Mike Piazza, Kirshaw and I'll talk. He's got to be in there. I'm talking eighties and up Those are my top five, all right, Those are yours.
Speaker 5: Those are Alberta, Canada, and they all are really good players. But if you're gonna tell me they are the top five players since nineteen eighty to wear a Dodger uniform, I would disagree with a couple of those.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and that would be okay. I will say Sacks only because I literally I was a second baseman and sax was he was it. I'm still number three now. Hershi so was the Bulldog. Piata was just during the during the A low time. I think he was a big piece of that team. Kershaw, you can't deny it. And Otani at this point, I mean, he's gonna be, he's gonna be.
Speaker 5: Hey, those are yours. I love hearing that, Marco, I love it. Those are yours, And that's really cool. Those are your top five favorite players, and there's been so many since nineteen eighty it would be tough to squeeze five guys in it, but those are yours. Maybe we'll do that one night. We'll ask everybody who their top five is eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number, not the top five greatest since nineteen eighty, but who your top five are since nineteen eighty. I think that's that's special to you because there has been so many great players that have put on the Dodger uniform, not only since you know, the Boys of Summer in Brooklyn or when they moved to LA but even just from nineteen eighty or just from nineteen ninety. I know the team's success wasn't there from nineteen ninety to about, you know, nineteen ninety seven, but there's been some good players and good teams between ninety and two thousand and thankfully, this is the golden Age of Dodger Baseball. And that says a lot considering how many good decades there's been, how many good players there been and teams. When history looks back at the La Dodgers, they're gonna look back at twenty thirteen, uh and on from when the Dodgers really dominated Major League Baseball and had the greatest success sustained success in the franchise's history. Gotta take one more phone call before we say goodnight. Long Beach has a special place in my heart. No, it's not Doug Crecorian. It's Emma. Emma walk us off tonight.
Speaker 8: In Long Beach.
Speaker 2: Hey, David, how you doing.
Speaker 5: I'm doing great, Emma. What do you got for us?
Speaker 7: I have a question for you, sir.
Speaker 2: Now tell me. Is this the umpire from tonight, the catcher of the main Empire catcher Empire?
Speaker 8: Was he the same umpire that threw out Walker Buehler.
Speaker 2: The other day?
Speaker 5: No, that was Mike Esterbrook. That was not Trip Gibson. Yeah, so two umpires made news in a matter of four days in not a good way. So no, that was not the same umpire. Thanks for the phone call, Emma. That's a good way to end the show. And look, I will say this, I grew up listening to Chick Hern Vince Scully, and one of them used to say that if you know the umpire or referees name, and I believe it was Chick this is something Chick Hern would say if well, the fans know the referees name means that they're not doing a great job. The referees and umpires should be nameless. But when you start hearing their names like Joe West, Angel Hernandez, Trip Gibson, Mike Esterbrook, that means they're putting themselves too much in the spotlight instead of just calling the games. That'll do it for us tonight, Aunt Dodger talking by the way, I will say this, umpires have a thankless job. They all do a great job. They'd try to do their best. I'm not saying that they are trying to steal the spotlight, but sometimes they're human and emotions get the best of them and so you can understand that. But I think every umpire referee in the NFL, NBA hockey got to realize that the fans are not there to see them they're there to see the players, and that falls in the category of Mike Esterbrook, who really had a short fuse throwing out Walker Buehler the other night in Boston. Tomorrow, Tony Gonsolin will be on the moundies two and zero with an ERA of four to zero five. The Dodgers need a big start from Gonsolin considering how many pitchers they use tonight. He's going up against David Peterson, who's two and two with an ERA of two to eighty six. Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck begins at three o'clock tomorrow, with first pitch at four fifteen. Thanks to Colin Ye who's had a long day in our Burbank studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald who had a long night at City Field in New York, and thanks thanks to you for listening. We got two Dodger Talk shows if you want a podcast on Saturday or late into the morning, we have our rain Delay Dodger Talk Hour and thirty eight minute rain Delay in the third inning today and of course you can find this show on the iHeartRadio app radio app as well. Once again, the final score tonight from City Field, the Dodgers beat the Mets seven to five and thirteen innings. Fox Sports Radio is next. Have a great rest of your night. See you