Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of June ninth, we are continuing with Lost season three episode to the Glass Ballerina.
Speaker 2: Which really doesn't put Sun in the best light, at least young child's son. Like, you're gonna fire the maid because I lied? Okay, go for it, She'll get another job.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Parenting tip like father, like daughter, you know you're gonna be that guy, that's how your daughter is gonna act. But don't fire the help Yeah, you know, not cool, as we will learn in Duster, the cleaning people are good to get to know, befriend them, get cactuses and access access to try and kill you.
Speaker 2: But we'll talk about that tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, you know, this episode we learn a few things. We learned that Son is a more willing killer than Jin who knew. You want somebody who will actually shoot you, want to send Son. We learned that Juliet would kill without a thought. Don't mess with her. And we learned the Kate tastes like strawberries, something I could have done without knowing. Apparently I've read someplace else that was a line from I think Buffy the Vampire slayher or something, Oh, that they just recycled. But even so, yeah, I would just believe that they did it solely so that he could nickname her shortcake.
Speaker 2: Right his freckles wasn't good enough, or I mean, I guess other people just keep read any nicknames like Hurley's been a lot of different things, and Locke and everybody. Yeah, yeah, yeah, So we we catch up with the sailboat the Elizabeth, Yes we do, which has been hanging out in the water waiting for Jack to show up, which, uh so he's eventually like, yeah, he's not he's not coming. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he acts like he has a plan, but in fact he's has a completely different plan.
Speaker 2: Yeah he has a plan, it's just not the one that the one.
Speaker 1: That he says that he has. Right, and Jin knows more English than we think. How does that happen? I mean, I guess you just hear her translating enough and you pick some things up.
Speaker 2: I guess. I feel like that would be a hard way to learn.
Speaker 1: He said, a lot of time on his hands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this is true.
Speaker 1: Maybe he found dual lingo hiding behind a bushes, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, he knows some keywords gun boat, others.
Speaker 1: Maybe if he just acts like he knows, then people will tell him things. Right. Oh well. Among the many things that make Sun look bad in this episode is that she was cheating on him with the weird baldhead guy, Yes.
Speaker 2: Who we had. We've previously been led to believe that they were just like platonic friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the last time we saw them, I thought they were hinting about this. So when Sun turned up pregnant, even though according to the weird gynecologist Jin was incapable. I thought, oh, is this where they're going? But they don't that's where they're going. They're not going there yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I wonder the timing of it, because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they's been on the eye long enough that it couldn't right.
Speaker 2: Well, they've been there for like two and a half months, right.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, you have to lose track of the timing on this. And also I mean, not that they wouldn't be, not that a married couple wouldn't be under any circumstances, but where exactly do they go to get it on? I mean, they have some kind we have the hatch between four and six, Please we'll hit the button.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they they have their.
Speaker 1: I guess so. But it's like the tents are all right up next to each other. I don't know. Oh well, true level find a way, I guess. But yeah, so I wonder now if we're supposed to be wondering about the parentage of that parentage of the little butt in the oven. Yeah, but I guess. Gin did not know the reason why his father in law was saying, hey, you go kill this dude for me. He thought it was you know that he had stolen work correlated exactly, So he doesn't seem to have suspicion about it, right, So I would just assume have no suspicion about it as well. But there we are.
Speaker 2: But I feel like Papa Son was implying yes, but he was kind of like, if you're not going to figure this out for yourself, I can't tell you that's.
Speaker 1: Right, although he totally could.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the sort of thing you would do, right, but oh way, maybe it was just like so shameful that he couldn't speak it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, buddy, if you can't figure this out yourself, then you're a sadder sack. Then I thought, why would I Why would I pick on you this way? Just go kill somebody for me, which you could not even do. Guy.
Speaker 2: Hopefully he took care of himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really thought. And I don't know why that Son's father had sent some other henchmen, figuring Jin wouldn't be able to get the job done and push the guy out the window. I thought that was what had happened. And I've looked on every bit of lost stuff online and they'll say, oh, no, he jumped. So I don't know where I got that, but uh, you know, anyway, he's out of the picture, sure, out of the window. And also they're on an island. Yeah, and now they have to walk back cause yeah, the boat has gone.
Speaker 2: With him with the dead body inside. Yeah, we met her for a minute. Now she's gone yep.
Speaker 1: And she said, if you shoot me, we will be enemies now. And so apparently the others are going to be enemies now. They kind of seem like enemies alway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that didn't seem like a new thing.
Speaker 1: The fact that they have all this information on everybody is creepy. But apparently their dossier on Sun did not include the fact that she broke a ballerina and blamed it on the maid. Right, she had an affair, and also, yes, she will shoot you.
Speaker 2: Right, she totally one thought she was so sweet, that's right. They were leave my.
Speaker 1: Baby with you, yep.
Speaker 2: And she's the gardener, she's like the nurse.
Speaker 1: No, but she's gonna leave her husband and sneak off to America. She's just all sorts of underhanded stuff going on. So you know, they need to they need to whoever puts together their dossiers needs to work a little harder. They're supposed to know everything a creepy degree.
Speaker 2: Although she wasn't one of the three that was summoned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: We are still waiting to find out what is happening back at Castaway Beach.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: What happened to Locke and Echo? Yes it happened to Hurley. Did he make it back?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: There's a lot of loose sense that have not been discussed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean this other stuff is interesting, but we do. It would be nice if we could cut back and forth, but apparently they like to compartmentalize.
Speaker 2: It's annoying. But okay, I did enjoy I mean, this happened toward the end. But the whole thing of Ben, like the way he proved that he knew what was going on in the world, was to tell Jack that the Boston Red Sox had won the World Series. In Jack's like okay, now I know you're lying, he brings out the world's oldest VCR to show him the proof.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, that was a callback to earlier episode when his dad's catchphrase was something like, that's why the Red Sox never.
Speaker 2: Won the World Series?
Speaker 1: And so I looked up because I was wondering about the timing of this, whether they set that catchphrase up knowing they were going to do this at some point, or whether it happened after they set that catchphrase up. But indeed, when they set up that catchphrase, it had already happened in no timeline, So because yeah, I mean, we're in they had that there to pay off at some point.
Speaker 2: We're in the third season, but it's only been a couple months of island time, so yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, so they get that advantage.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that was funny, just staring slack jaw at the screen, like how it's as possible. There's been a lot of weird stuff happening, but this takes the care.
Speaker 1: Right, this is the weirdest. Oh well, we saw a couple of different approaches to parenting in this. For example, corporal punishment like the others were doling out to Sawyer with the shop the stun gun only earns you resentment. Yes, they may behave in the moment, but they're plotting your demise. But on the other hand, sweet talking as they're trying with Jack also doesn't work. So well, they don't trust you, right, and it didn't up to something.
Speaker 2: It didn't work.
Speaker 1: It can't be that nice.
Speaker 2: Didn't work with Ben trying to give Kate a NIC's breakfast.
Speaker 1: No, see you try, you think, oh, you know, well they're mad at me, so I'm going to do something nice for them. Doesn't work, They stay mad. So you know, it's it's hard to find the right avenue to get what you want from somebody who does not want to give it to you. And that's a that's a struggle that parents have all the time.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yes, we've talked many times about motivation here on this. Yes, yes, they haven't figured that part right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The only motivation they're going to have is playing one of them off against the other. You know, we have this one in this place and you better do what we want. But again, you're just going to get resentment and plotting. It may work at the moment, but at some point you're going to be on the other end of that stunt gun and it will be sweet payback. Right.
Speaker 2: Although Ben is all seeing and all hearing apparently, Yeah, So.
Speaker 1: I'm like, why would they be having open a conversation? Would they not think that there were cameras everywhere? This was on Duster too. I'm like, what, shut up, go talk in your car, but yes, in the cages probably just.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I would guess.
Speaker 1: Carl could be in the bushes listening at them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think maybe they don't realize the level of sophistication, right because they're in these cages and they're like breaking rocks.
Speaker 1: So yeah, maybe they're trying to make them think that they're just primitive, right. But yeah, Yeah, it's like putting a monitor in your kid's room, which I would totally do, spy cam. Yeah, yeah, then they'll start talking code or something. Indeed, the whole thing with Jin suddenly saying oh, by the way, I understand more English than you think I do reminds me of you know, when your kid goes from that phase of not understanding much language to understanding and you have to start spelling things talking. Yeah, you may think your jock cannot understand you, but they do better than you think, and you better watch out. Be Caessa, go sit in the car and have your conversation, get out of your shot.
Speaker 2: Pick glad, And that will only work for so long because then, yeah, figure it out.
Speaker 1: They'll figure it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's a constant race to stay.
Speaker 2: Ahead, constantly trying to it's an arms race.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you go down to the coffee shop to talk and there's a spy in the next booth. You know your kid has paid off. My parents are acting squirrely, but you.
Speaker 2: Just wasn't it.
Speaker 1: Oh my? I do believe that we get back to the beach next week, which is about time.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean we've spent two seasons getting to know these these other people, like only that hanging man.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, yep, yep. So Ben says he has lived on this island all his life. Yeah, I wonder if that's true. Yeah, that seems like a long time, right. But and also he's not particularly trustworthy. No, as much as he tries, he's like, yeah, oh that those times I was lying to you before that was just you know, now here, watch some TV.
Speaker 2: Have you missed Baseball?
Speaker 1: Here you go, yep, yep, yep, yep. One thing I will say about this episode, which I've complained about before and is really nobody's problem but mine and anybody else my age, But a lot of darkness in this episode, A lot of darkness in which we were supposed to see things going on and I could not. In addition to my eyes being bad, unless your TV screen is super clean. Yeah, dark scenes are probably Yeah, And when they're do people squeege you off their screens just for that purpose or what.
Speaker 2: When they're done in Ject's hobble where they're keeping him underground, it's quite difficult.
Speaker 1: Us. We should have like a like an attachment you can put on your TV that will light up scenes that were dark, just so Grandma can see what's in them. And also a lot of a lot of captions for the careers of Korean which I could not read any of, and so my husband would have to have to take some of the take some of the suspense away from it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I do feel like it was fairly you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you could kind of gets that's right. Oh well, weirdness, weirdness everywhere there is, yes, so we will I am sure revisit this weirdness soon. But in the meantime, next week, different weirdness. Next Tuesday, we'll continue with season three, episode three of Lost further instructions, and I believe that is a lock flashback episode.
Speaker 2: Oh good, because we haven't had very many of those.
Speaker 1: No, he was kind of a loser in the the other brother. I have a feeling about Emma. It's not that we've been shown a bunch of times. Gosh, they could just like put a little want want on the soundtrack and skip all the flashbacks. Yes, we get it, we get it.
Speaker 2: Been there, done that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss Bester. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.