Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to a new episode of Full Circle, the podcast, a weekly visit to our home where we squeeze a few headlines through our decidedly queer lens and see what happens. This episode is brought to you by Decanted jug wine and a list that doesn't exist, but if it did exist, the Democrats wrote it, and while it doesn't exist, Republicans unanimously voted not to share it if it existed, which it does not.
Speaker 2: I am your host, Charles Tyson Junior.
Speaker 1: And I'm your host Martha Madrigal. Welcome to the Full Circle tabe.
Speaker 2: Is that like if I did it?
Speaker 1: You know what? We're so lost in a sea of words. I'm just you know, you're stupid. It wasn't suicide, No, it was not.
Speaker 2: He did not kill himself. He did not, I mean his suicide bassassin an actual thing.
Speaker 1: Because it is Sunday, July twentieth, here in these Divided States of America. Hi, baby, Hi, honey, how are you? I'm tired? Uh huh really fucking dire. I'm good, I mean, you know, yeah, hanging in Yeah, it's hot out there.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It's human.
Speaker 2: It just rained and then I went to let the dog out and my glasses fogged up.
Speaker 1: It's a sauna outside. Yeah, it's pretty. I mean, things are green and stuff, but all right, it's too warm for it's it's that soupy warm.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When they say it's not the heat, it's the humidity. This, this is what they mean. Yeah, that's where you walk outside and boil rather than.
Speaker 2: Fry exactly.
Speaker 1: Anyway, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm all right, my thumb is twitching.
Speaker 1: Other than that, I'm fine. I guess aching to hitchhike.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the problem is. I was editing the last episode and my thumb started like twitching, and I'm like, the fuck. That's why they call me old twitchy thumb. They don't. No one calls me that.
Speaker 1: No. But I guess if it continues.
Speaker 2: To the point where enough people notice.
Speaker 1: You could rebrand.
Speaker 2: Nah, that's okay. We've got animals fighting in the background.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, because the cat. The cat's just like laying here like I'm not moving, and the dog's trying to antagonize the cat. The cat's like, no, not to die, which is frustrating the dog it's just the whole thing.
Speaker 2: The dog is trying to play, which antagonizes the cat.
Speaker 1: It does, it really does. The dog just wants to play.
Speaker 2: Of course, his idea of playing is running up into your face really really fast. For some reason, cats don't enjoy.
Speaker 1: Well, these cats don't enjoy it anyway. I'm not sure any word anyway, that's fun at our house.
Speaker 2: It's the Insane Menagerie.
Speaker 1: It is kind of yeah, wow, it's dull here. This weekend, we've talked about the weather and narrated the movements of the animals like and made way too big a deal out of a twitching thumb. I think we've I think we've covered the excitement.
Speaker 2: So by the time you're hearing this episode, we will have released our interview with Flamey Grant.
Speaker 1: And which was a fun interview yep.
Speaker 2: And in that same week we released another regular episode, which is why it came out at a strange time, because.
Speaker 1: Just you know, it's impossible to keep to a schedule right now. It is other than the work schedule, which obviously comes first.
Speaker 2: We used to be so like stringent, we had nothing else to do exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was easy to be strict then we.
Speaker 2: Had no jobs and outside wasn't outsiding.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean that's at that point we were meticulous. But now it's kind of like catch as catch can exactly. We got to be able to sit down when we're still awake and have something together to talk about.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Since we last spoke, we have lost some folks. Well, some folks we lost, and some folks well, yeah, we'll get to them, because lost is too strong of a word.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Andrew Gibson, who was a poet of love, hope, and gender identity, died at forty.
Speaker 2: Nine, which is very young.
Speaker 1: Yeah, since that's my age. A master of spoken word performance gives an insisted that poetry, especially when read aloud to an audience, was a political act. Yes, yeah, here here. Megan Falley, their wife, confirmed the death. Gibson was among the leading voices in a resurgence of spoken word or slam poetry in the mid two thousandth centered in cafes on college campuses around the country. Yes, they were prolific, publishing seven books along with seven albums, all while touring tirelessly. In twenty twenty three, Governor Jared Pollis of Colorado named Gibson the state's poet laureate work shows were as long as ninety minutes, even with chronic stage fright, a condition addressed in the poem owed to the public panic attack work. Yeah. They are in a documentary called Come See Me in the Good Light Huh Yeah, which is focused on Gibson and Valley during Gibson's long struggle with cancer. It premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in January and won the Festival Favorite Award. Fabulous grew up in an intensely religious, socially conservative world. Their parents are observant Baptists, and Gibson attended Saint Joseph's College of Maine, the only Roman Catholic institution of higher education in the state. Gibson played basketball on a scholarship, and the team won the States Championship during Gibson's senior year. Yeah. Gibson received a diagnosis of ovarian cancer in twenty twenty one and began chemotherapy, a treatment they spoke openly about in interviews, on stage and in their poetry. I was looking for it. You know this article doesn't have it. But and I know I'm paraphrasing, but they said, I want to die with stretch marks on my heart. Yes, yeah, prolific right up until the end. And you know, certainly one of the voices of a generation. Indeed, we should never grow out of our astonishment. I love that. Yeah, so much. Rest and power too soon indeed. Also, Connie Francis died this week at eighty seven. Yeah, I had a lot of hits. I was playing some of them for you, like early nineteen sixties.
Speaker 2: Some I had heard and didn't know her, some I had never heard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was I mean, she was someone I knew about growing up, but you know, came to understand better lately because Joey Joseph's, who was a drag queen I performed with That was Joey's. One of Joey's claims to fame was as a Connie Francis impersonator. Yes, and you know, they they got to know each other actually and became friends. And there are pictures of the two of them together. So, you know, someone who just seemed very approachable, you know, and had friendships with folks we know. I never met her, but yeah.
Speaker 2: My introduction to the name of Connie France was actually in the Lisa Bonet Show because Denise wanted to sleep outside to get tickets to some show, and her father said, where's the show, and she said, Connie Francis stadium, meeting Connie Mack stadium. Connie that And in one of my favorite movies, The Craft After furs Box, spell worked and they got money because she kind of sort of killed her stepfather and they got insurance money. Her mom bought a jukebox with nothing, but Connie Francis regrets because that's something she always wanted since she was a little girl.
Speaker 1: In nineteen sixty, she became the first woman to top the Billboard Top one hundred with the bluesy ballad Everybody's Somebody's Full. She had an infin for languages and was one of the first stars to record in multiple dialects. Her title song from the nineteen sixty one movie Where the Boys Are was released in seven different languages, English, German, French, Italian, Japanese, Neapolitan, and Spanish. Work Yeah Yeah. Her popularity waned in the mid sixties as acts like The Beatles and Bob Dylan overtook the pop charts. Yeah well, I told you. Kind of the British invasion was, you know, sort of demise of that kind of music. But yeah, certainly a star and by every account I ever heard, you know, a gracious woman. Yes, she certainly had some lows and exhilarating eighes and a long life. So Connie Francis gone at eighty seven.
Speaker 2: God bless her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, risdom peace.
Speaker 2: And that closes the portion of where we keep like and care about that died.
Speaker 1: Heritage Foundation founder Edwin is it Fueldner? I believe Fulner or Fulner whatever, dead at eighty three. If only he had taken his foundation with him, right, Yeah, anyway, he's gone.
Speaker 2: The Heritage Foundation, who sponsored Project twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's then. That's then.
Speaker 2: I shortened the mom's Maybey quote earlier. I just said he's dead.
Speaker 1: Good exactly, yeah, exactly. Nothing good to say about the man, nothing good to say about his work, and talk about a life not well lived exactly. Yeah, rest in hell last, but not.
Speaker 2: Least well at least.
Speaker 1: Last and least Yeah. Evangelical preacher John MacArthur dies at eighty six. I only mention it to say good he did.
Speaker 2: Hopefully hell is as hot as he says. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He led Grace Community Church in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Sun Valley for more than five decades. His ministry announced his death on social media. Bye deuces hoe mm hmmm. He made news during the coronavirus pandemic for flouting health orders by holding indoor services for hundreds of congregants and refusing to enforce masking and physical distancing requirements. Yeah. Yeah, another champion of idiocy.
Speaker 2: Champion of idiocy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, allegedlate non denominational congregation. I guess that just I think that just means they're not under anyone's authority, so they can come up with even crazier shit, right I will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I'm a church because I say I am, so stop asking me for tax money.
Speaker 1: Something like uh huh mm hmmm. Yeah, so nothing good to say. Nope, another one's going though. You know it's a start, babbit, Yeah, Jesus yep, going from the planet. Finally. Hey, that's what I got.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, Well, why don't we go on a little break.
Speaker 1: Let's take a little break and uh we'll come back with some good news just to show us out. Here's Connie Francis with where the boys are.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back the boys. Someone ways me smile and face, a warm too, arms to hold Me tender world, the boy.
Speaker 1: Much.
Speaker 3: He's walking down some street and town and don't.
Speaker 2: Know, he's looking there.
Speaker 1: And we're back, We're back. It is worth noting that that is such a gay song. I mean some have called it the gay national anthem.
Speaker 2: On sure, I would go that far, but that's born this way exactly.
Speaker 1: But can you picture you know what that song meant to closeted gay man.
Speaker 2: I mean you played it for me earlier today. I mean I've heard the song fourteen sixty, but you played it earlier and I listened to it through that lens and I'm like, okay, I get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's out there in the crowd. Yeah you can do. I mean you know that that resonated with gay men waiting impatiently. Of course, Yeah, I get it, of course, And it was. The song was written by Neil Sedaka and Howard Greenfield. Howard Greenfield was widely known as a gay man, and he wrote the lyrics oh well then just saying yeah, I mean he had a partner, Yeah, he had a husband.
Speaker 2: So he was just like, I'm gonna write this song here girls saying.
Speaker 1: This kind of ya. Sadaka wrote the music, he wrote the lyrics, and she was an ally. She was an ally of the community. I mean, you know, never never quite achieved the fame she might have given her her beautiful voice for whatever reason, but she was absolutely an advocate for domestic violence and for the community. And that song resonates yes with a lot of queers. So yeah, I don't know if this is part about that one.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this part about sucking dick in the alley is appropriate. Oh shit, I didn't mean to give you that copy. I'm sorry. Yeah, you're seeing this person.
Speaker 1: Waits for me. The rest is implied.
Speaker 2: I'm meant to give you the be sheet, not the A sheet, my bag, girl. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: So there was good news.
Speaker 2: This amazing.
Speaker 1: Castor Somanya queer runner, won a legal victory against the World Athletics sports policy. They tried to make her undergo medication or surgery to reduce her testosterone levels. Because this is what happens. And again we've said and it's been proven time time again. You know, cis women are also going to pay for this attack on trans women. Yep, she is a perfect example. The European Court of Human Rights has ruled fifteen to two in partial favor of queer says gender Olympic gold medalist runner Castor Somonia in her appeal against the Swiss Court of Arbitration for Sports twenty nineteen decision upholding a World Athletics policy banning her from competing in women's events unless she took medication or received surgery to reduce her naturally high testosterone levels. Nobody did this to Michael Phelps, but I'm just let's keep going.
Speaker 2: Well, he's a sis, white male, so there's nothing wrong with him, of course.
Speaker 1: Except they said, you know so, they said that the Swiss court's ruling lacked rigorous judicial review, no shit, and they awarded her about ninety four thousand dollars from Switzerland for costs and expenses. They didn't rule on whether World Athletics policy is discriminatory, which, of course it is right. The case, which she has been fighting for over seven years, which effectively ended her running career, will now return to the Swiss Federal Court in the western city of Lasan Lausan. There it is today my patients in this journey has been rewarded with a result that will pave the way for all athletes human rights to be protected. We hope, she said in a statement following the ruling. World Athletics, the body that regulates international track and field competitions, issued a rule in twenty nineteen requiring participants in the women's four hundred, eight hundred meter and fifteen hundred meter races to have a low level of testosterone in their bodies and to want togo six months of hormone therapy if their natural testosterone levels are high. Why to try to make sense of torturing trans women? Why that's why to try to make sense of this. We don't have the natural I mean, yeah, anyway anyway, because they can't make sense of any of it. You know, some people do have a naturally, you know, different set of hormones that does not it's what they naturally walk around with. But if you're gonna fuck around and keep saying, you know, hormones matter, and this matters, and that matters, and that, I mean I understood it where we're concerned, I get it, you know. And and but the athletes who were complying with the rules, likely atomas are being stripp to their metals by cowards like you know pen. It's like indiference to this tyrant.
Speaker 2: If you're creating these arbitrary rules based on nonsense and shit that's not actually real, then you find yourself hopping from foot to foot trying to like find ways to support the damn rules, and nobody benefits and nobody wins. Maybe that's the point we're trying to eliminate happiness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she has x y chromosomes rather than the typical XX pairing a natural variant. She has undescended gonuts that she didn't know she had until two thousand and nine, and they want her in order to continue racing as a woman. She was told she needed to have surgery to remove them.
Speaker 2: So does that make her intersex?
Speaker 1: She was yeah, okay, she was healthy, loved her body, and it had made her champion. Why must I go and mutilate it to conform to someone else's rules. She did not to take medication to artificially lower her body's natural testosterone levels in order to meet world athletics requirements. She began to feel sick almost as soon as she started taking the medication.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ready to say, because that's not what she should be doing for her body, right.
Speaker 1: Because a well and a twenty twenty Human Rights Watch report found that what female athletes from Africa and Asia have disproportionately been subjected to sex testing, gender verification, or femininity testing. She has rejected the intersects label to describe her bodily condition. I've been called a hermaphrodite. I had to walk back out into the world with this thing hanging around my neck. I wasn't oblivious to the stairs and whispers from other runners. I wasn't going to take on an identity that did not fit my soul because some doctors had taken my blood and images of my organs. I was not amaphrodite or anything other than a woman. Yes, but if we're talking about what we mean by intersex, yes, this is what we mean. The hermaphrodite is a very well that's at dated term anywhere, derogatory term rate. I wouldn't use that word, but to say that you know she was born intersex. Yeah, there's with sex characteristics generally considered both male and female. Yes, that is that is the definition. You know, It's not about identifying us, it's that's the definition, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That being I said, she feels in her soul that she is a woman, said, damn it, she's a woman, you.
Speaker 1: Know, and clearly has you know, that's how that corresponding body parts. She just has a little extra, right exactly. Yeah, yeah, And and then you know, we have to have these ridiculous, invasive, disgusting discussion.
Speaker 2: One could argue, that's how you would describe trans people, men and women with a little extra.
Speaker 1: That's how I describe.
Speaker 2: Doesn't sound like a bad thing to me.
Speaker 1: I am more than a woman.
Speaker 2: Ah, come on, Aliah, Actually that was the bee gees, I think.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well it's also okay, but yeah, yeah, I mean people come in all these variants and always have and always will, you know. But we we want to shove this world into the binary so fucking hard and say, you know, and all this anyway. We have a story a little bit later on in Nonsense about you know, just how much these fucking idiots actually do support women in sports.
Speaker 2: You know, would have made like made this whole case go by smoother or quicker and a lot less expensively. What minding their own fucking business.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, So often, you know, so often, and it's just, you know, the people who act like they care don't give a spit about women's running. Anyway, she got money and good on her exactly, and you know, we'll see where this goes. We'll just see where this goes. Let's see what else they got.
Speaker 2: So Boston unveils a new park honoring the slain trans woman who inspired the Trans Day of Remembrance. The Rita Hester Community Green was designed to be a quote joyful, inclusive space made for connection and year round fun. I like it, yeah, Rita Hester is the park's namesake, and.
Speaker 1: It's located in Allston Yards where Hester lived. Yes, when in nineteen ninety she was stabbed to death in her park. Yes, she was thirty four years old. The killer has never been found shocker. Her death inspired the creation of the International Trans Day of Remembrance. A plaque at the park reportedly reads, after Rita's life was tragically taken in an act of violence. Her legacy inspired the Transgender Day of Remembrance, observed worldwide every November twenty. The day honors the lives lost to anti transgender violence and reaffirms a global commitment to kindness and equality. I like it.
Speaker 2: It's a legacy for you, though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, at this point in history, this is more important than ever. Notable is that earlier this year that Boston City Council voted twelve to one in favor of a resolution declaring the capital city a sanctuary for LGBTQ plus people, meaning it will not enact anti LGBTQ plus policies or comply with federal demands to do so work. The resolution codifies LGBTQ plus protection at the local level and denounces policies that will undermine access to essential gender affirming healthcare, reproductive services, and HIV AIDS prevention and treatment. So good all the way around, indeed, and uh yeah, but on them, I like it.
Speaker 2: It's next.
Speaker 1: I gotta chuckle out of Norwegian daughter of Norwegian princess.
Speaker 2: Becomes Did you tell that to Countries?
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever told it on the podcast Countries first royal to come out. Let's do the story for maud Angelica Bain earned the title of Bravest Women in Norway in twenty twenty, and she continues to exact that bravery. The daughter of a Norwegian princess has become the first member of the country's royal family to come out as a member of the LGBTQ plus community. In an Instagram post, twenty two year old Maud, the daughter of Martha Louise of Norway, granddaughter of King Harold and Queen Sonya, fifth in line to the throne, identified herself as bisexual while wishing her followers a happy Pride. Work all right. She shared photos of herself at a Pride celebration decked head to toe in the colors of the bisexual flag.
Speaker 2: Happy Pride from a bisexual person, she wrote, According to a translation from Vanity Fair, this year's Pride was absolutely amazing and there was so much love. I dig it.
Speaker 1: I love that. Yeah. Her mother's name is Martha.
Speaker 2: It makes us extra proud to have listeners in Norway.
Speaker 1: Hey, y'all. Yes, So I had worked with a client for several months before we we started doing groups, yes, because we didn't have enough folks to do groups with. And you know, in those groups, you know, I told my story, you know, and talked about being trans right, But she and I had never had any conversation like that, because you know, it wasn't yourmane. I was working with her. I was trying to help her get some stuff that came up, and she whispered to NICKI whispered, but went to Niki later said Martha's trance, and NICKI said, I know, and she said, I had no idea. I thought she was Norwegian.
Speaker 2: Because you're tall and blind.
Speaker 1: Apparently, yes, and so it's kind of become a little running joke.
Speaker 2: Martha's Norwegian.
Speaker 1: I am Norwegian. Yeah, Because there was a there was a dude who is I guess new talking not not knowingly, but talking to one of my clients who are masculine male identified, and they were way down the hall and the guy looked at nodded at me and said, that's a dude. I guess My Soloba is quite tall. And my client went where and he nodded, and the client went, that is not a dude. That is Martha. She's Norwegian. So it's just it's a running Yeah.
Speaker 2: I told you every time comes up says something, you should just respond yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, clearly, I do not deny the fact that I'm trance. It's just funny whenever, since you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I mean, it makes sense. Tall blonde, yeah, I guess, striking figure.
Speaker 1: There you go. Cheek bones, cheek bones, that is what it is. You do like yogurt Okay, is that a Norway thing? But not herring so anyway, anyway, Yeah, good on her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome to the fold, cis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, welcome. So this was kind of fun.
Speaker 2: I love this.
Speaker 1: Barack Obama appeared on his wife Michelle's podcast and shared his thoughts on why men sis headman, you know, should embrace the queer community rather than push them away. You know, it was only amount of time before he would be on the podcast. Of course. He's not by and was a guest on the July sixteenth episode of It's Imo Yes in my opinion, the show she co hosts with her brother, which.
Speaker 2: Somehow I have not listened to yet.
Speaker 1: We haven't listened to it yet. Now. The episode mainly revolves around a listener submitted question about how to raise emotionally intelligent, competent men in a world where the male loneliness epidemic exists. Obama shared his opinions, saying that men need a range of different role models and gave the example of a gay professor he had in college. This professor was out during a time when openly gay folks still weren't out. In life, he became one of my favorite professors and was a great guy and would call me out when I started saying stuff that was ignorant. The former president said, you need that to show empathy and kindness. Correct. He goes on to say that young men should be open to diversifying their friend group. By the way, you need that person in your friend group, so that if you have a boy who is gay or non binary or what have you, they have somebody that they can go. Okay, I'm not alone in this that I think is creating community. I know it's corny, but it's what they need. It's not corny, it's true, not at all. He was, of course, on the cover of Out magazine back in twenty fifteen, first president to be featured in any queer magazine. True that book about the same professor. During that interview, he also discussed the Supreme Courts to send to uphold overphelmed express pride and ushering in a new era of acceptance, et cetera. So that was kind of fun and I agree with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I totally I blocked a whole bunch of people behind that conversation because some folks just are refusing to live in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Oh are you were you in the comments section, Is that what you mean? Unfortunately, see it never goes anywhere good, does it? Rarely all that? Yeah, well, I mean we have men debating on whether they should wipe themselves. I'd like, I don't even know you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And that is a cause of the motherfucking male loneliness epidemic apparently.
Speaker 1: Well no kidding, no, wonder your no punter, you're lonely, stinky.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't have smell lines in real life, for real, in flies circling you like your big bean in a fucking cartoon.
Speaker 1: God. Yeah, it so much has gone to the extreme. I mean just so like in this era with Maga and all this horseshit, like we've gone to these ridiculous, ridiculous extremes. You know, even in discussing masculinity, it's.
Speaker 2: We'll blame it on everything other than their own shitty behavior.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Like you all you do is grunt and say horrible shit because you were raised in the comment section in four chan. But at the same time you'll you'll wonder why women won't fuck you and say, you know, I don't want gay men to hit on me.
Speaker 1: Well that's true, right, now.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, sweetie, rarely is that a concern? Right? What I say the other day? And those straight men are usually looking like a crocodile's thumb, just just just ashy and and all that exactly that smell show why should ask and use some lotion on something other than your dick for five seconds and maybe we'll get somewhere.
Speaker 1: I just you know, I mean, it's certainly an ongoing conversation about you know, these ridiculous expectations we put on them. But again the extreme of it all, you know, are these mouth breathers that live in the comment sections, right, and you know, say the most absurd things right where you know, how did we get here?
Speaker 2: Right? And it's again the arbitrariness of it all has people jumping back and forth from foot to foot, like I see photos like there was a photo a bunch of photos coming out a little bit ago of Michael B. Jordan and like various co stars and male co stars and friends and them like embracing and like being friendly and loving and affectionate with one another. Right, And on the one hand, you have women saying, how come men can't embrace a softer side of themselves? And stop having to be all like hard and tough all the time. And at the same time you see these pictures and you go, oh, that's gay. Which one is it?
Speaker 1: Right? Right?
Speaker 2: And then we wonder why straight men are crazy.
Speaker 1: I don't wonder why, truly, I don't wonder why. I mean, you know, having having a bird's eye view of all of this nonsense for a very long time, I don't wonder why. You know, because the expectations are ridiculous. A lot of them are placed directly and indirectly by women, you know, but not certainly, not exclusively, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and.
Speaker 1: It the expectations are unnatural. They don't allow for human emotion. They don't allow for vulnerability or softness or or you know, being afraid or being uncertain right, you know, or needing community.
Speaker 2: Or expressing emotions of any kind that.
Speaker 1: Aren't anger right, And you know, and there are there are women in the world who want that, you know. They don't want to have to they want someone to protect them. It's why religion exists. Everybody wants this simple answer. And you know, but by the same token, men do it to each other, right, and then can't live up to it themselves, so they go crazy and they crash blinder, et cetera. I mean, you know, we can't look at why everything is so fucked up without saying, well, let's look at the expectations we place. Let's look at the things that we make happen, you know, the impossible places we paint people into. Right and yet, and yet, you know, very much in the real world where I live, talking to actual humans who do come out of the basement, you know, I talk to a lot of young people who are you know, it's it's much easy here for young men to say that they are bisexual. It's much more accepted today and then it was forty years ago or thirty years ago.
Speaker 2: Is coming out of the basement the straight equivalent of finding your truth and finding your freedom.
Speaker 1: No, it just means they don't live down there. You know, they see sun light once in a while, They interact with other human beings literally, not just a keyboard. I'm serious, you know, because some of what and I stay out of the comment sections best I can, you know, because some of these people commenting and putting, you know, throwing out their laughing emojis. It's like, do you actually live up here? You know? With the surface dweller.
Speaker 2: The number of times I have said, would you please go log off and touch some grass?
Speaker 1: Seriously, seriously, God damn it, because how I just don't have the same experience among people generally, right, that you can have in that place that is not real anyway, called social media.
Speaker 2: It's like, if your entire experience with other human beings is theoretical, I guess some of this ship would make some sense. I guess, I guess.
Speaker 1: I guess it doesn't make sense though. Now that's you know, if you're not out there kind of challenging your beliefs, which is, you know, what college is supposed to do. You certainly don't learn critical thinking skills to you, right, you know, all you do is learn how to, I don't know, throw your own shit at people. It's just toddler bad toddler behavior. It's male dusted like I I don't know, I don't know. But yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Straits are not okay and they need our help.
Speaker 1: They're really not.
Speaker 2: And that's not shape so many of them.
Speaker 1: They're really not. But you know that the things that draw comments in the comment section truly truly just and some of what the comments say, and again there are women who jump in. Oh yeah, too many of them who should know better. But yeah, it's it's a sewer out there, and so yeah, sewers are a below ground two.
Speaker 2: Coincidence.
Speaker 1: M yeah, but if you stay out of the comment section, you're better off. True that you're better off. Anyway, that's the last bit of good news we found this week. However, it is time for our moment.
Speaker 3: Of sad employer people taking pleasure raal name yay.
Speaker 1: So there's so many things that could have been put here, but Trump was forced to restore six point two million dollars and that's a up in the bucket. Yeah, really in funding for nine LGBTQ plus nonprofits across the United States because they were sued and make a mistake. LAMB to Legal is suing the ACLU, is suing the Transgender Law Project, Like they are all out there meeting this shit and they do win in court. Here's an example.
Speaker 2: I believe the phrase is busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've been ordered to restore six point two million in grant funding to nine queer and HIV related nonprofits. Back in February, LAMB de Legal file to federal lawsuit on the plaintiff's behalf challenging three of the executive orders, the one legally defining gender as male or female or as assigned at birth, as the one that seeks to terminate equality related grants and prohibits federal grantees from considering race, color, sex, sexual preference, religion, or national origin in their work, respectively. The nine groups involved in the lawsuit or the San Francisco AIDS Foundation, the La LGBT Center, the GLBT Historical Society, San Francisco Community Health Center, Prisma Community Care, the New York City LGBT Community Center, the Bradbury Sullivan Community Center, Baltimore Safe Haven, and Forge Work. The restored funding comes a month after US District Court for the Northern District of California granted a June nine preliminary injunction blocking the implementation of the executive orders. In a fifty two page decision. Trump administration's attempts reflect an effort to censor constitutionally protected speech and services promoting DEI and recognizing the existence of transgender individuals. These provisions seek to strip funding from programs that serve historically disenfranchised populations that.
Speaker 2: Comes from US District Judge John S. Tgar Yes, who ruled in the case of San Francisco AIDS Foundation versus Trump.
Speaker 1: M M yeah. Even in the context of federal subsidies, the executive branch cannot weaponize congressionally appropriate funds to single out protected communities for disfavored treatment or suppress ideas that it does not like or has deemed dangerous. If further cannot do so in such a vague manner that all federal grantees and contractors are left to wonder what activities or expression they can engage in without risking the funding on which they depend. In a press release, Social Life fifteen LAMBDA Legals, senior attorney and HIV project director Whose Abrigo confirmed that the organizations involved in the lawsuit have seen their threatened funding restored. When we fight, we win. I hope the same thing happens with mental health funding and addiction treatment funding, because they've stripped all of that too. Oh yeah, without regard or explanation. I mean, you know, this shit is ugly across the board.
Speaker 2: It's so crazy to me that the case, the one case in question was versus Trump, Like, has that been has that been a thing before where a case has gone up against a sitting president by name directly as opposed to like versus the United States. I don't know, like that just stuck out to me, like damn.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, some of their shit is coming home to roost, indeed, and and good, here's hoping more of it does, because so much of it is just cruel and unnecessary and cruel for cruelty's sake. And you know, yet it made the courts hold even though you know the highest court in the nation is not doing their job, not really. Yeah, so we take each victory as we can get it and hope that president means something that part. But still, you know, every little bit of backlash gets right under his skin.
Speaker 2: And good he can't take it.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: That's what's so fun about that one. Another one this is they're starting to eat their own I said that this would happen, and it is in so many interesting ways.
Speaker 2: And they must be hunger because you know it don't taste good for real.
Speaker 1: So Trump is suing Rupert Murdoch NewsCorp And The Wall Street Journal after the newspaper published an article about a letter he allegedly wrote for Jeffrey Epstein's fiftieth birthday in two thousand and three. The letter included a hand on scratch of naked woman with Trump's signature placed provocatively as purbit care, along with a note expressing they share certain things in common and wishing Epstein another wonderful secret. According to the Journal, an album of birthday letters was collected by Is it just Laine Maxwell? Yeah, an associate who is serving a prison sentence after being Yeah. Of course the woman is the one in prison, being convicted of assisting him in sex trafficking. Of course, he died in jail in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Was murdered in jur Yeah.
Speaker 1: Trump is calling the story fake, defamatory, a hoax, vowed to sue his ass off meaning Murdoch. JD. Vance and Elon Musk publicly denounced the Journal report, with Advance calling it complete nutter bs. Now, why are we so upset about something that doesn't exist?
Speaker 2: And I thought Elon had all the tea and was just waiting to space.
Speaker 1: I know, I don't know what's going to see, But that's the whole back and front. Like these people are crazy and they're gonna implode, and they are imploding it's just it's expensive when they do anyway. In response to the story, Trump directed Attorney General Pam Bondy to file emotion to unseal certain grand jury transcripts from the Epstein case. Though these are typically sealed, Trump hopes their release might support his claim of a democratic driven conspiracy implicating him in Epstein's sex friends. Like I said last week, there are more pictures of Trump with Jeffrey Epstein than there are with Tiffany or Baron and Baron combined, combined. Fuck, there's probably more pictures of him and Jeffrey than him and Millennia. Yeah, there's a lot much to do about, you know, right right where there's smoke, there's a fire, Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Does anyone Is there anyone alive who doubts that Trump was fucking underage kids with Jeffrey Epstein? No, I can't. And this is where, you know, the cognitive dissonance just rings. You know, the people who throw around the word pedophile as a weapon. Are the pedophiles.
Speaker 2: Dang ding ding, dated ding ding?
Speaker 1: And when are we going to get mad about that? When? When does this become not okay? It's certainly not okay when you know it's a Democrat or it's a regular citizen. It's not okay.
Speaker 2: And we're the ones that have been screaming that it's not okay for the longest time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so he's doing of all people, the one who built him and allowed him to happen, the one who built Fox News.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the person who created this world where you could succeed because just all of this nonsense, you're now suing. Yeah, and a conservative newspaper as well, because they're not just making you look good. I wonder you're not supposed he's imploding over all this. He is not having a good time.
Speaker 2: You're not supposed to talk about the things I do.
Speaker 1: You're also not supposed to send the attorney general in to fight your battle. That part. He was a convicted sex offender before he came back into the office. This is true. All this is true. And yeah, we.
Speaker 2: Try to act like none of this shit happened.
Speaker 1: The Christians just turned a blind eye. Yeah, well, you know, practice and the Republicans still vote in lock step. What have we not learned about lockstep? Still not?
Speaker 2: You know the answer to that, still not?
Speaker 1: But yeah, talk about Shad and Florida anyway, this is your moment of.
Speaker 3: Eya people taking pleasure real name.
Speaker 1: So before we wade through the fetid pool of nonsense, do you have a fifteen minute fave?
Speaker 2: I do. And it's a fun one, Okay, this one I could use some fun. Yeah. It came through my once again my music that I may like prompt with Apple Music. And it's a song that I've heard before, but so it just hit different when I heard it this time. It is from New York Times best selling author and comedian and drag performer Bob the Drag Queen. Okay, and it is a song about ass. It's called Booty Okay, Okay. So it's funny, Like my favorite line is booty keeps kosher Booty Rosha Shana. It's just funny, all right. So we're gonna go out to the break with five of the Dragon Queen and that evergreen love song Booty.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back.
Speaker 4: All right to talk about booty Booty still coming down, boy, make a nigga hung you want.
Speaker 2: To eat the booty cake.
Speaker 4: Booty made me look twice dead of booty double teak putting almost see him diving in the booty.
Speaker 2: It's my destiny childs Booty.
Speaker 4: Bull of Magigan A couple booty wish every time you walk into booty earthquake, what's that ass on trial.
Speaker 2: To burn that booty at the stake? Booty giving.
Speaker 4: Grab a little piece of this took us If you want to booty so addictive, it really is crying with that big ass body, sucking up your lower back like damn fucking up your lower pack like tam looking up your lower back like damn fucking up your low a pack like.
Speaker 2: Fucking up Come long bar.
Speaker 4: Booty doesn't come bongs my booty folk seasons. My booty is a one. Booty is a legal but that booty in a simon got more fai than a state of ad pappas booty. You get to talk about the booty. You gotta stablished booty.
Speaker 2: Can't touch this booty.
Speaker 4: If the hamma booty going be booty, becuse the gramma hit it with the crew Bullhouse DJs.
Speaker 1: Have and we're back. We're back, And that was fun.
Speaker 2: That song makes me happy.
Speaker 1: That's stupid.
Speaker 2: It's stupid.
Speaker 1: That's the part of the appeal. Boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kis booty given help.
Speaker 1: Good lord? Anyway, that was fun. Thanks Bob, it's time for the cavalcade of nonsense. Fine at, this becomes more and more ridiculous every time we do it for real though, Yeah, let's let's just go through it real quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go quickly, baby, go quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, our new Secretary of Transportation, a huge step down from Pete Sean Duffy, has claimed that, you know, rainbow crosswalks cause chaos on the roads.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure how because it's a fucking crosswalk.
Speaker 1: In a literal rature of our identity. In South Florida, the city of Boynton Beach has complied with recent orders from Ronda Santas and the Trump administration to eliminate a rainbow crosswalk in the beachside. City. Video revealed a road crew painting over the once colorful intersection at East Ocean Avenue and Southeast First Street on Wednesday morning. It's now painted black.
Speaker 2: I mean that goes with the This is a metaphor for these people, is it not right? That's something that goes well with the black armband that the queer community has been wearing because we're in mourning over the bullshit that's been going on for the past not even a year yet.
Speaker 1: A statement from Poynton Beach read they have removed the inclusionary painted intersection to ensure full compliance with state and federal transportation mandates and address safety concerns. The decision follows recent guidance from the US Transportation Secretary and the Florida Department of Transportation. I was just following orders that didn't mark at Nuremberg. I'm just checking my facts for later.
Speaker 2: It did not okay, good, And what's more safe then a fucking rainbow crosswalk. You can see it coming from.
Speaker 1: Further than I would think that that'd be very safe, Thank you very much, But you know, not to a homophobe Jesus.
Speaker 2: M M.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I've seen videos of like this space where the whole, like the steps leading up to this public building were painted rainbow, and this ass hat decided to climb up the railing instead of using the steps. So, you know, nothing surprises me.
Speaker 1: So former road Rules reality star current Secretary of Transportation Sean Duffy.
Speaker 2: Issue to the state is that where that one's from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, taxpayers expect their dollars to fund safe streets, not rainbow crosswalks. Political banners have no place on public roads.
Speaker 2: Take off your red hats are.
Speaker 1: I'm reminding recipients of US Department of Transportation roadway funding that it's limited to features advancing safety and nothing else. It's that simple, Yeah. He implies that pride crosswalks are causing chaos on the roads and have led to traffic fatalities. Far too many Americans die each year to traffic fatalities to take our eye off the ball. He of course, did not specify what percentage of the thirty nine and forty five traffic deaths in the US and twenty twenty four were caused by rainbow crosswalks.
Speaker 2: Right, unless people are fucking on the crosswalks and you swerve to avoid them, I don't understand how we even got here, which has never happened.
Speaker 1: By the way, of course, the Florida Transportation Secretary enthusiastically endorsed this mandate. Why is it when they gather, they crash grind her when they're so never mind moving on the greasy wheel. Marjorie Taylor Green rages at drag Queen's story Time as she defends Trump's Epstein friendship.
Speaker 2: The irony could choke a bear.
Speaker 1: She called out fake outrage from Democrats who support queer people, but are calling for the release of the Epstein files. We couldn't make this shut up?
Speaker 2: Do they just play a game of mad libs before they go in front of the microphone.
Speaker 1: She has been loudly calling for the release of files associated with the investigation for years, but she has been fairly silent on Epstein's long friendship with Donald Trump and the speculation that the Trump administration is reluctant to release those files. Tou to Trump's possible involvement in Epstein's crimes.
Speaker 2: Well, if that's not it, then release them, release them now, go ahead.
Speaker 1: She took to Twitter to express her anger at Democrats for saying that Trump might be one of the clients on Epstein's rumored client list, and that's why his administration said that the Epstein list doesn't exist. Ah, as I mentioned earlier, and Trump has been criticizing his megabase. This should have gone on Chad and Ford right for the past several weeks for demanding the release of the rumored Epstein list. I hope they keep it up.
Speaker 2: M M.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't unring a bellued dingbat. Nope, okay, he said, this was of course going to be released until people wanted it released, and now there's nothing to release, and if there is, Joe Biden and Barack Obama made it up.
Speaker 2: Then I.
Speaker 1: Don't make the news I reported. Yeah, yep, God damn it. Look over there, she said. And these same Democrats feigning outrage over pedophiles. Yeah, actual fucking pedophiles, your dumb hunt. I'm sorry, grunt, defend drag queen's storytime naked men dancing in front of children at pride parades now and mentally ill men in girls and women's bathrooms, Green wrote, Democrats, sperishire fake outrage. This is how you, marge, defend and protect and enable the actual pedophiles. They feed right into you. This is how this cover up works because we know where to find them in scout troops and among the youth pastors and coaches, and you know many of these upstanding, married white Christian family men who actually diddle children, You dumb t whatt, and you help protect them because the pedophiles are not and have never been found in any large number. If among drag queens or trans women, you absolute to it. But what you do is tect actual pedophiles with every word out of your mouth. And that will be your legacy. One day, this smoke is going to clear, and that will be your legacy, sweetheart, And keep talking.
Speaker 2: Twatt is always going to be a funny word to me.
Speaker 1: I know it's not. I mean, it's just a what a waste of flesh that one is. So in the latest thing turning us gay. Wellness activist Alex Clark went on Sean Kelly's podcast, Their Names Are So White, said, your car air freshener is turning you gay. It is depleting you of testosterone, It is wrecking your hormone mad libs Clark. She said she told an Uber driver that is air freshener would turn him gay, and he immediately threw it away. M h m hm. She did attend Ivy Tech Community College, according to the article, although it was unclear if she ever obtained a degree. She did work in radio broadcasting before rebranding herself as a conservative podcaster. She has no expertise in medicine, uder chronology, biochemistry, or even biology more generally. However, that did not stop her from claiming that she was in an Uber and the driver had like a pack of trees, pack of car fragrance. Trees. She said that she told him the air freshness would turn him get and he immediately threw them away. I just saved that man's balls. She said. Those can make you very, very sick. It can make it hard to get pregnant. Is she admitting men can get pregnant? Wait? I digress. I mean there's a miriad issues with anything that has perfume or fragrance that's artificial. I love the disclaimers from LGBT Nation. There is no evidence that fragrances, no matter their chemical composition, affect testosterone levels at the levels that are present in car air fresheners. Moreover, while it's an article of faith in some parts of the Internet that low testosterone turns men gay, there is no scientific backing for this idea. Numerous studies have clearly established that plasma concentrations of sex steroids are perfectly normal, typical of the goonatal sex in both gay men and lesbians who In a separate video that Kelly posted to his social media accounts, Clark claims that liberal men have low testosterone. She said it was because liberal men eat more ultraprocessed food than conservative men.
Speaker 2: Do, and that is not even close to being true.
Speaker 1: Anyway. This podcast trades in conspiracy theories and woo, including you know, assertions about the twenty twenty election.
Speaker 2: And this is why podcasts are getting a bad name, because these white cis had yahoos are the ones that are getting all this press for talking all this bullshit. I know, And that Uber driver he's like, wait, I bought the air freshener and that same night I sucked the dick. Wait a minute, maybe there's something to this.
Speaker 1: They have a big audience, though.
Speaker 2: We call that a false equivalency. Kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, be careful of those air fresheners in your car. More, buy more, right, depending on where you want to go with them, because.
Speaker 2: It's it's I've bought way more air fresheners than I've sucked dicks. So I don't know how that map be mathon?
Speaker 1: Have you real? I mean really, I don't know?
Speaker 2: Or should I say I've smelled more air fresheners than have sundecks?
Speaker 1: Have you real?
Speaker 2: I figured my law of numbers I have to have although I don't remember my entire twenties, that is true, others do, and half of my thirties.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Anyway, I think my fee is twitching. Yeah, this from the Advocate Lawmakers call out Robert F. Kennedy Junior's unconstonable apathy on the eve of the nine eight eight lifeline shutdown. This did happen. We are posting in the show notes once again the list of all of these supports that remain in place, including the Driver project.
Speaker 2: Yes, we posted that list in the episode notes of the last episode. We can do it again in this episode, and we may as well just put it in our link tree.
Speaker 1: Let's do that. Yeah, yeah, you know. The sub line of the nine eight eight Suicide and Crisis Lifeline was launched in twenty twenty two, accessible by pressing three, and it has fielded in nearly one point three million calls, texts, and chats since then. It was initially stated to end in October, but is now terminated.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: Yeah. RFK Junior promised during a May House Appropriations Committee hearing that he was happy to talk about the hotline's future, but has since ignored multiple meeting requests. And of course the HHS Press Secretary has no answer for any of this. This is just the cruel to that is the Republican Party. These days. Yeah, yep, I don't. I you know what, we are smarter and we're resilient, true because we've had to be. And this was staffed by I believe the Trevor Project to begin with. Right, they lost a contract and I'm sorry about that because this gave that many more queer kids access to life saving help, which Republicans don't want. They don't want our lives saved. They laugh when we die. And that's reason enough to keep going, just to say fuck them.
Speaker 2: You know again, be glad. All we want is justice and not revenge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although.
Speaker 2: In this moment, yeah, but you can only push motherfuckers.
Speaker 1: But so far all right, well, yeah, it's just you know, one more disgusting thing that happened, but it's you know, lawmakers called out RFK and to no avail. He's not answering them. He doesn't give a shit what they have to say. This continues, and that is that is our government these days. People they wanted to drown it in the bathtub, and they are. But the problem is, you know, the nation depends on these things. All government isn't.
Speaker 2: Bad people.
Speaker 1: Anyway. Puerto Rico's governor just signed one of the harshest gender affirming care laws yet. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Puerto Rico's Republican Governor, Jennifer Gonzalez Cologne, signed into law Wednesday a far reaching ban on gender affirming medical care for transgender people under twenty one, enacting one of the harshest measures of its kind in the United States and its territories, and prompting swift condemnation for medical experts and LGBTQ plus advocations.
Speaker 1: Of course, because all of science is on our side. You done.
Speaker 2: Yeah so the law Senate Bill three fifty, which received the government's approval late in the day, prohibits the use of puberty blockers, hormone therapy, and gender affirming surgeries for anyone under twenty one, threatening doctors and other health professionals with up to fifteen years in prison, a fifty thousand dollars fine, and the permanent loss of their licenses and permits.
Speaker 1: Does this apply to the sis kids too?
Speaker 2: That's a good ask question.
Speaker 1: Who take puberty blockers and hormone therapy for precocious puberty? That is a good ass other causes or gender affirming surgeries on like sixteen year old boys? Kandomastia? Does it take away those two or just for transkits. I don't know. This is just more punitive, ugly bullshit to kill transkits, That's what it is.
Speaker 2: Public food are also barred from being used for such care.
Speaker 1: Mm. Well, good on her. What a what a what a piece of shit she is? Huh so that's that heart of the list. She has had to ask for amendments to product access to puberty blockers and allow miners already undergoing treatment to continue care, but lowmakers did not adopt those changes. Huh so why make that after that Supreme Court did what they were paid to do, you know, saying that the Tennessee ban could be enacted that allowed other states and territories to continue to ban such care.
Speaker 2: Right, Why make the concession if it's so wrong?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So she's now the most anti equality governor in history. Good for her. She ignored her own secretary of Health and the medical associations that support treatment for transminders by signing this, she has just endangered trans youth and their families and criminalized health professionals for doing their job. According to the president of the Puerto Rico LGBTQ plus Federation, no shade.
Speaker 2: But doesn't Puerto Rico have its own issues to deal with that, aren't this of course?
Speaker 1: Oh well, every red state has its own issues to deal with and focusing. But they're focusing on this, right, Yeah, they're focusing on problem. They are focusing on problems they have created. There was no problem when y'all were minding your own fucking business and letting the professionals save these children. Nobody was being harmed. Didn't affect your life in one little motherfucking way because you didn't even know what was happening and you didn't give a goddamn and you still don't. You don't care about children. You are voting with pedophiles. You can't tell me you care about kids. Sure as fuck don't care about trans kids. And yes they exist. I was one, and God help you, I'm still alive, you stupid bitches.
Speaker 2: Right, It's like, oh, your infrastructure is back to one hundred percent and your codomy, No, it's not back up and flowing perfectly.
Speaker 1: And I doubt their emergency grit is up to standard these days. Either. But this is where they focus. It's time, attention, and money, because that's the Republican way. Look over here, while we rob you and God help us, they keep finding people to go. Okay, that sounds fun long as we can own the Libs, right, yeah, well you're killing people, you know, And please don't tell me you care about children. Please don't. It's a joke, right anyway, Speaking of jokes, Gavin Newsom went on yet another MAGA podcast, What do we call Gavin these days? The Queen of I don't know the middle of the road. I talk about trying to walk the fence. Gavin Newsom, who's hell bent on proving that he is a centrist, as if you, as if one can be right now, as if that holds any kind of popularity. I don't know who he's singing to. God knows it isn't me, But yeah, he's been on a right wing media tour feeding into the anti trans hysteria, and did it again talking about gender politics with Charlie Kirk. Earlier this year, he had said he completely aligns with some of the gender politics a far right extremist, Charlie Kirk right, and he then appeared to double down on the sentiment and then some this week on the Sean Ryan There's another really white God show podcast, The Whopping four Hour conversation started by questioning the participation of trans athletes and women's sports, cascaded into sewing doubt about evidence based gender affirming care, and landed on fake news about schools providing litterboxes to kids who say they're animals. He emphasized that he thinks conservatives are exploiting and weaponizing rhetoric about trans kids, but that hasn't stopped him from feeding into it. This is what I mean. He's trying to be all things to all people. You can't jackass intentionally or not. Newsom has lent his democratic branding and former credibility to entertain the musings of anti transactors. Meanwhile, the fire right has openly admitted to manufacturing a crisis about trans athletes to serve as a beginning point and get opponents of the LGBT movement comfortable with talking about transgender issues. As Peritary Shilling of the American Principles Project. I love how every one of them is named the opposite of what it is. They have no principles, of course, obviously and decidedly un American.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that the word shill is in that person's name.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm yep. Interesting and prescient. On this latest podcast, the meandering conversation started on America's so called masculinity crisis. Oh, we have a masculinity crisis. Not the way they mean it, a reference to real problems facing boys and men, such as higher rates of suicide and social isolation, or a nod to conservative pearl clutching about the perceived feminization of American boys, depending on who you ask. Many of these kids, many of them not even having any relations sexual relationship with other women. Newsom said, this is the governor of California, but their kids, they shouldn't. It went from lamenting how American youth don't have enough sex to handwringing about whether the LGBTQ plus rights movement may be pushing sexuality onto kids. We're not the ones speaking of sexuality and divisiveness. Ryan said. One of the things in the last administration that really divided people is gender affirming care. Wow, they've incorrectly equated sexual orientation and gender identity, leading to a conversation about what Newsom called the trans issue. That's now no longer about celebrating your rights, it's about denying other people theirs. Newsom said, they don't know what words, marriage equality was about everyone's right, But your child may not have the same opportunity to get on the podium if a trans athlete is competing. Oh go fuck yourself? What who thank you? Advocate? Science shows no one biological attribute, including sex, fundamentally determines one's athletic success. For every Lea Thomas or Abe Hernandez winning medals, there are countless other transathletes across the country whose names are unknown, athletes who are average or bowlow average. Like all people, transathletes' abilities vary greatly, but athletes at all ages and ranks are being attacked by anti transactivists in the name of sport. Yeah they are. Newsome's rhetoric also falsely implies that the rights of trans women and girls are innately in competition with those of presumed CIS people. In reality, anti transfitriol routinely leads to violence against everyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It fuels witch hunts against athletes even accused of being trans, such as the case of Amani Calif. Yes, it has resulted in death threats, anti trans harassment, and docsing campaigns against countless young girls, both CIS and trans. After one such case in Newsom's own state, where the young athlete ab Hernandez overcame literal angry mobs over her participation in used sports. The California Interscholastic Federation amended its rules for a so called compromise, giving a consolation spot to any presumed CIS girl who lost to a presumed trans one.
Speaker 2: When fear meets stupid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, Ryan's line of questioning didn't stop with sports. He suddenly turned to the idea of trans kids in general. Is eight years old too young? Newsom said, the trans issue for me is so novel. I'm trying to understand as much as anyone else, the whole pronoun thing. No, no, you're not. He added that gender affirming care for children is a tough topic that while some constituents have told him that it saved their child's life, he also read reports like the one the UK just came out with, which is completely false, referencing the widely rebuked and highly propagandized cast review see all Things are Equal. Though this is the game Newsom is playing, This is the game he's playing. Yep, yep. He of course did not weigh in on the common use of gender firming care for sys children. Gender firming harmone treatment is never given to young children, except in cases of precocious puberty, where it is the standard protocol for anyone regardless of their gender identity. Gender affirming surgery is also never performed on trans children. This young but unnecessary and non consensual. General surgery on intersex youth often is uh huh. You can point to that and talk about it, but they don't want to talk about them.
Speaker 2: It's like we're holding the American Medical Association and the you know, the organizations at the top of pediatric medicine in the same regard as the fucking comments section on fucking YouTube. It's like, what the hell are we doing?
Speaker 1: Oh well, here you go. To wrap this one up. Ryan compared trans kids to furbies, who are showing up to school in a kennel and using letterboxes. He might mean fairies, an internet subculture where people dress up in colorful animal costumes, which is often falsely and pejoratively conflated with transness. Furbies are a popular singing owl toy from the early two thousands. Either way, these claims are false, and Newsom dismisses it, but not fully mad libs that's been overhyped. He said, there have been a few instances. No, there haven't, There have not. Most of that is bullshit. But if that's occurred, that's ridiculous. He's gotta just leave that in a door open from both sides. A spokesperson from Newsom's office told Erin in the morning, we believe Sean was referencing a widely reported child abuse case involving a Memphis mother who plays children and dog Kennel's in the back of her car. To be clear, the governor does not subscribe to the repeatedly demunked and baseless right wing conspiracy theories mentioned elsewhere in the podcast.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, he continues to self identify as a champion for elgi AWBTQ plus rights my how where when, even as our organizations have in fact condemned his anti transpivot. Reports have also emerged that he was trying to kill LGBTQ plus protection bills behind the scenes throughout the last year or so. I believe I'm more open minded than I've ever been.
Speaker 2: He said, that's scary.
Speaker 1: Of anti trans sentiments. I think the sports issue really opened that door for me. The nuances in the space, what do you know about nuance and there are no fucking nuances. You jerk off. Yeah, Gavin Newsom, what a disappointment. This was a man who spoke with so much clarity on so many issues. I remember was so far in front of so many issues. I remember that he is. He put his finger in the wind and decided trans people belong under a bus. He's one of those Democrats, and he keeps talking to folks who help him prove that as he helps to tune their dog whistles. Shame on you.
Speaker 2: You can't be an effective leader if your balls are made of soap bubbles.
Speaker 1: Dude, I mean, you can't be an effective leader if you're just giving up all leadership. What do you think he's trying to prove?
Speaker 2: I honestly can't tell you.
Speaker 1: I can't either.
Speaker 2: If you try to be everything to everyone, you're nothing for anyone.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly. It's repugnant. It's repugnant. But I really think, you know, he plans to run for president and he thinks this is the only way to do it. You know, it boggles my mind when you know, you see people like Bernie Sanders and AOC garnering these huge crowds because they are saying what people want to hear, and yet you think what they really want to hear is Republican light right now.
Speaker 2: And these people are going on these podcasts. You never see them going on like New York Times podcasts. You never see them going on anything by NPR. It's always these like willy nilly, like fringe motherfuckers. And if you go on to their descriptions, and anytime you see a podcast that says, we talk about all the things that need to be talked about and all the conversations that need to be had avoided, like the fucking plague, because those are the ones that all they talk about is what is in the YouTube comments and they think it's fact.
Speaker 1: And I hear you. I'm not giving the New York Times a free pass on trans issues. God knows also that because I'm sorry now, no, you're right, So I'm not saying that they are, you know, the beacon of decency where trans people are concerned, because they are not fair. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was just trying to think of something that was like more credible than these people and.
Speaker 1: PR, which is why they're getting rid of it. How about that?
Speaker 2: Get it there? You go?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got this is Gavin Newsom, this is the you know, it sickens me, and this is what I have said. I mean, listen back, We've been talking about this this whole fucking time. The danger with all this rhetoric is it starts to make sense to otherwise intelligent people, well or something to do that. No, there isn't, No, there isn't. The reason they're targeting us is because we are such a small minority and it's so easy to tell lies. And I guess they just figure there aren't enough of us trying to stand up and tell the truth. And they think if they intimidate the people who stand with us and care for us enough, they will back away from us. And it's happening. There are cowardly hospitals and cowardly once respectable to me universities like the University of Pennsylvania who are backing away and saying fuck the trainees because they just threatened to take away one hundred and seventy five million dollars. I mean, I hear you about the money, but where did your principals just go? I used to work there. I know what they thought of Donald Trump. None of it was good. And the man that this is exactly what the Nazis did, and this, you know, this intimidation is exactly what led us to the story we're going to talk about in pop culture about Stephen Colbert, which probably should have gone right here, but you know, we'll save that one. I need to scrub my tongue over Gavin fucking News and let's take a break, okay, and try to come back with some pop culture. All right, We'll be right, and we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: So I'm just gonna start with this one, because again, this bridges the two. While this is, you know, arguably a pop culture story, it's also fucking nonsense and it's a lie. So the Late Show with Stephen Colbert is ending, and CBS is making claims like this was an agonizing decision and it's just a financial one, sure, which seems patently falls since this is the most popular late night TV show of.
Speaker 2: All of them, and they're not replacing Stephen Colbert. They're pulling the plug on the entire thing. They're gonna be nothing.
Speaker 1: They announced it will end after ten seasons. Yeah. He replaced David Letterman as host of The Late Show back in March twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: That sounds right.
Speaker 1: Oh, he was grateful for being given a chair in a beautiful theater to call home, as well as his viewers from all around the world. The cancelation comes to days after the talk show host criticized the network's parent company, Paramount for its July third, sixteen million dollars settlement with President Donald Trump, who alleged that CBS News is sixty minutes deceptively edited an interview with Kamala Harris. Uh huh. Meanwhile, Paramount is in the midst of a merger with sky Dance, a deal that will need approval from who the Trump administration.
Speaker 2: Are we going to have to cancel our Paramount plus we subscription? Goddamn it.
Speaker 1: In a statement from CBS shared with People Magazine as where I'm reading this, the network said that the cancelation is not related in any way to the show's performance. Of course, it's not content, yes it is, or other matters happening at Paramount, of course it is. So why is it ending? Well, let's see, just days before it was canceled, they received an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Talk Series. The stateman said it was purely a financial decision against a challenging backdrop in late night. He's the most popular late night program, right, what do you mean? Our admiration, affection, respect for the talents of Stephen Colbert and his incredible team made this agonizing decision even more difficult. Oh god, this is such, this is I hope this came with a shovel that bullshit bullshit, bullshit bullshit bullshit end quote.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: They noted the show has been number one in late night for nine straight seasons, and.
Speaker 2: It's only been one for ten.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, calling his broadcast a staple of the nation's zeitgeist. Then why it being canceled?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry? How can finances be the reason if you're the number one show? It doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 2: Because Orange Daddy threatened the money, that's the financial problem.
Speaker 1: No, they want this merger so that they can get even richer. And this is so they have no principles anymore. This is the this is where we live. It's you know, the richer getting richer, and they will, they will, they will kill their mother, you know, in order to get what they want. And if it means capitulating and bowing to the Orange menace, apparently, you know even paramount will do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I say, pay close attention to whatever feels the slot, because I think we are getting dangerously close to having state TV.
Speaker 1: I hope not. Yeah, I hope we don't get to that place. I hope that, you know, we have a little bit of a correction by that point. Yeah, you know what, it is shocking, It is shocking. I did see several memes that said, HBO fire Bill Maher and hire Stephen Colbert, and I couldn't agree more word up. I would start watching that show again.
Speaker 2: Because when's the last time we fucking watched that bullshit?
Speaker 1: What both sides now? It's been a minute.
Speaker 2: Is that what it's called? Now, that's what I call Oh, because both sides now, you're funny, Thank you?
Speaker 1: I try one has to okay, So yeah, that's happening. It's just happening. What else we got here? This is not cleansing my palates?
Speaker 2: Well you started with.
Speaker 1: That, Sissa Sissa?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Oh come on? Can't we put an I and Scissa s z Sissa.
Speaker 2: It's like the res or the.
Speaker 1: Woo Tang claim says Ai contributes to environmental I'm deeply concerned.
Speaker 2: The way you looked at me, oh fuck, all right? Would you like me to do this?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: You were like, wait do I spell toast way? I would like you to say, oh ship all right. So Scissa says that AI contributes to environmental racism.
Speaker 1: This is why only one of us is white cone and.
Speaker 2: That she's telling she's deeply concerned. Now there is something to this because AI does have a very large environmental impact, and I do think about that. And her concern is that where the servers are located tend to be places that have larger impact with black.
Speaker 1: And brown communities, of course, like a pig farm.
Speaker 2: But right, she said, please google how much energy and pollution it takes to run AI. Please google the beautiful black cities like Memphis that are suffering because of Twitter's new AI system. Please just google environmental racism. AI doesn't give a fuck if you live or die. I promise there is a price for convenience, and black and brown people will pay the brunt of it. Every time AI is killing and polluting black and brown cities. None of you care because you're codependent on a machine. Have a great life, Jesus. I mean, she's not wrong. The use and role of AI have been questioned in relation to education, mental health, and the creative industries. Although the ethics of AI are a topic of discussion, studies have shown that the development of artificial intelligence data centers poses a risk to the environment. These centers run on high amounts of water and a staggering amount of electricity, which leads to increased carbon dioxide emissions and pressures on the electric grid.
Speaker 1: How to live with the planet. We're not going to have one.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And you know, I do think about this, and you know, it's so easy to like fire up chat GBT. You know, we see it all the time, like the pictures and the quote unquote artwork and the memes and everything. You know, we are killing the planet for our little two second hahahi he or helping us write that cover letter that we could have just written our goddamn self, right, So you know, we do need to think about this ship.
Speaker 1: And you know, while I had a moment, I just not to interrupt, but this is this is to me. I encourage my clients, like if they're asked by what we call recovery court to write an essay. An essay is used at times, so you know, a means of progressing or a means of correction or whatever. And one of the folks was asked to write an essay and did it.
Speaker 2: With chat GBT.
Speaker 1: We and I know, I mean me and everyone in the room, we were wetting ourselves laughing because this sounded like a college paper out of someone who is, shall we say, quite plain spoken, and brevity is her trademark, so three sentences would have made sense. This was two pages of just fluff and bullshit that said nothing, and we like cracked up. It just cracked up, like, you cannot turn that in. They will put you in jail because you clearly did not write this nonsense right. And AI is not all that intelligent if it wrote it for you, because it was double speak, like the whole thing said nothing right with a lot of words. So that happened.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, did I Well, no, I was just going to say, you know, I, while I may not be a fan of Sciss's.
Speaker 1: Music, I don't even I don't even know their music. I was just commenting on their spelling. That's really all I was doing.
Speaker 2: I actually do find her to be charming and intelligent and not a bad actor. Because she appeared in that movie just one of end days with Kiki Palmer, and I was, I was. I became a fan of hers, even though I'm not a big fan of her music. I call her style of music R and B for people that don't want to work that hard. But that being said, I have to agree with her assessment. It's not the first time I'm hearing it. And you know, these are things we need to think about, you know.
Speaker 1: Derek Johnson, president of the NAACP, said we cannot afford to normalize this kind of environmental injustice, where billion dollar companies set up polluting operations in black neighborhoods without any permits and think they'll get away with it, exactly, And that was in the New York Times. Yeah, this is also running up people. The reason we have safeguards are to protect those of us who are otherwise killed. Yeah, because of greed. Yeah, that's why we have a government to represent us and put regulations in place that do not allow for unfettered capitalism that kills.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's not wrong. She's not wrong at all.
Speaker 2: I don't wrong.
Speaker 1: What are we going to do about it? Nothing in this administration, that's for damn sure.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: I did want to talk about this one because I don't have to talk a lot or we can. But United WNBA All Stars where past what you owe Us shirts?
Speaker 2: Ooh, and the boys were mays. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So there was a sold out crowd of over sixteen thousand at Gainbridge Field House for the twenty twenty five All Star Game MVP Trophy I guess, and the noises were booming saying pay them. The fans echoed the message players sent during warmups Saturday night when they wore black T shirts that read past what you Owe Us. The collective demonstration occurred two days after more than forty players met with the league in the latest round of collective bargaining agreement negotiations. The players didn't think the meeting produced enough progress with the late October deadline looming, so as a national audience turned into one of the most highly anticipated WNBA All Star games to date tuned in, the players put a spotlight on their behind the scenes fight to secure higher salaries and a larger piece of the revenue. Oh my god. Yeah, I wanted to talk about this, not even because of that, not even because of that, because every fucking comments section like Yahoo's SPO and ESPN and.
Speaker 2: You name, and you don't typically look at the comments.
Speaker 1: I don't. I just breezed through them to see all the men and way too many women condemning these women, saying you're not worth anything, saying you know, if it wasn't for the NBA, you wouldn't exist at all, and mocking them openly. This is how they actually have and do support women's sports. Go look in all of them. That's the real way that these bloviating people who claim trans people are a threat to fairness in women's sports. This is how they actually feel about women's But.
Speaker 2: When I look at these people in the eye, because I've had the opportun to do this and say stop acting like you care about women's sports, they look at me like I farted on their best suit. I know.
Speaker 1: And yet there they are, in black and white with their government names, saying, you know, if you ever earn money and weren't fully subsidized by the NBA, we could have a conversation, ladies.
Speaker 2: Nobody's watching the WNBA anyway, So I don't understand what you're complaining about exactly, And that is patently false.
Speaker 1: It's pentently false, but that is the narrative around this entire thing. It just this brought it to the four once again. But this is how all of these people really feel about women's sports. The trans people who are just trying to play actually honor and support women's sports, and you know, honor the sport and very much appreciate the opportunity to play. They're not the problem. They never or were right. And you know, these people that pretend to protect girls and women again are the same ones that we are unsafe around. Yes, I said, we are unsafe around. And they're the ones that are hiding the pedophiles, and they're the ones where the common thread is they believe that they have every right to put their deck wherever the fuck they want to, whenever the fuck they want to. Consequences be damned, there shouldn't be any according to this version of maleness and manhood and masculinity. Yeah. And if you want to see it on full display again also among women, go look at any of these common sections and it is overwhelmingly, but not exclusively white, oh absolutely.
Speaker 2: And that's what cracks me exclusive, not exclusively, but overwhelmingly, and it always cracks me up. And it's this conversation and anything involving any kind of media where there's a series or a movie that is involving women, people of color, queer people, and god forbid, there's an intersection of said. That's when they say, no one's going to watch it, no one's watching it, no one's watching it. No, you may not be watching it, but there's plenty of women, there's plenty of queer people, there's plenty of queer men, people of color that are watching it. But you don't see that.
Speaker 1: Well, the people that matter aren't watching it because they don't know anyone watching exactly. That's the whole fucking narrative in this country right now. It only matters if white people care about it. Uh huh, Sis white people care about it. Yeah, yeah, like I was. I was so oh the missogyny, the misogyny that that oh god, m m yeah turned my stomach. Oh yeah, and I went there. It is there, it is. We just needed a few T shirts to bring it right back to the surface. Not that this hasn't always been true, because of course it has, right. I wish more of my sisters in sports would point out the hypocrisy, truly, I do, mm hmm. Not that none are because some very much are.
Speaker 2: And the only good thing they have to say about the WNBA is the one white player who's like doing really well right now. Oh, they'll praise the fuck.
Speaker 1: Out of her, how about it?
Speaker 2: But then say the rest of it, and she was like, and she's the first one to do anything good. That's oh my god, Oh my god. Women have been kicking ass in the WNBA since, been pimping, sins, been pimping, and half of y'all just discovered it, like last month, and then just discovered this white chick the month after that. And this is no shade to her because she's actually kicking ass and taking names. But it's like, oh my god, y'all are horrible people, and you're putting your horrible peopleness on full display, and then wonder why no one wants to fucking play with you, And then you want to claim you're lonely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I love the WNBA. It is not the first time they've used their platform to make a public collective stand. In the twenty twenty bubble, they wore several shirts to support the Black Lives Matter protests. Very true in the second half of the twenty twenty two all Star Game, they wore Britney Griner jerseys yep, while she was being detained in Russia. Making another statement at this year's All Star weekend wasn't by accident. It's the only time of year when all of the league's most prominent players are gathered.
Speaker 2: Caitlin Clark, that's her name. That's the one who everyone's praising. And I do believe she won an award either earlier this year or last year. And she made a point of saying, you know, okay, fine, you're giving me the shine. But I would not be here if I weren't standing on the shoulders of all the black and brown women who I play with, who play around me, who started this league and did it. And she stood their name and names, and I was like our girl.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, yep. The WNBA has some vaccine tremendous growth in recent years, including a new two point two billion dollar media deal, skyrocketing expansion fees of two hundred and fifty million dollars. The players won a salary structure that gives them a larger piece of the pie they helped create. We see the growth of the league and as it stands, the current salary system is not really paying us what we are owed, and we want to be able to have that fair share moving forward, especially as we see all of the investment going in, and we want to be able to have our salaries reflected in a structure that makes sense for us. Yet, if you read the comments section, you would think they are not bringing in a dime, right because nobody cares about them.
Speaker 2: And now that the NCAA players are starting to get a little bit of money coming to them, uh huh, there is no longer even a fraction of an excuse for the WNBA players to not get what's.
Speaker 1: Do when I'm just I put this here because it just glaringly shines a light on how so many people really feel. Mm hmm, and it's still all right there. Yep. You know, if we cared about women's sports, we would give them equal funding in college, wouldn't we? Uh huh, yeah, we would give them equal opportunity in college.
Speaker 2: But we don't. And when they're in the work When women are in the workforce, their dollar would be the same as men's dollar.
Speaker 1: No, well, that's now you're talking crazy talk.
Speaker 2: Sorry, get out of the sky.
Speaker 1: Would you say, you know, we only talk about when women's safety when A it costs us nothing and B it can help us to marginalize a group of people. We don't talk about it in general.
Speaker 2: Nope.
Speaker 1: And the people having this conversation, by and large, are the ones we're afraid of. They're the ones we have to be protected from in the first goddamn place. It's not me, It is not me. I don't care if I am in the locker room, Honey, I am not your problem, never was, never will be right. And you're not going to see me in a locker room either, because I don't do sports, so you're safe. But yeah, I was, I was, I was. I'm disgusted enough reading the news. I was really disgusted over this.
Speaker 2: Article.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because everywhere I saw it, the comments were worse. I have six different places today and I was like, Oh, there it is. There it is again, Oh there it is again. And there is all that support of women's sports we've heard so much about. There it is. Yeah, so condescending, so demeaning, so degrading, so dismissive. Yeah that's how they really felt.
Speaker 2: Well, let's close out pop culture with the pop culture store. That's actually fun?
Speaker 1: Okay? Is that is it really? Oh? This one? This this is a pop culture moment, isn't it? Because I said to you this morning, what the fuck is all this about Coldplay? I haven't heard about cold Play and I don't know how long. What is?
Speaker 3: What is?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: So at a recent cold Play concert, they have a kiss can. Yeah, they have a kiss cam like baseball games and shit do Yeah.
Speaker 1: This just happened on the sixteenth, Wednesday the sixteenth, at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Massachusetts. Right when a man and a woman went viral for their reaction to being spotted together on camera on their kiss cam. Right, they made fun of it during their July nineteenth show at Camp Randall Stadium. We'd like to say hello to some of you in the crowd. How we're going to do that is we're going to use our cameras and put some of you on the big screen just to let you know. So, please, if you haven't done your makeup, do your makeup now, and.
Speaker 2: If you're with someone that you shouldn't be with, keep your grubby mist to youself. So apparently, yeah, So on the sixteenth, the camera happy to catch this couple. They were snuggled up and swaying back and forth to cold Plays music. Then and once they realized that they were on camera, she immediately turns around and hides her face and.
Speaker 1: Heat and he just ducks out a frame like to the floor.
Speaker 2: He went exactly, uh huh, come to find out.
Speaker 1: And then people around them keep trying to jump on the jump, right. It's kind of hilarious, right.
Speaker 2: And and and Chris Martin of Coldplay was like, oh, look at these two. They're either having an affair or they're really shy.
Speaker 1: They were having affair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're both married, but not to each other. Show he's an astronomer, right, No, he is the CEO of Astronomer.
Speaker 1: Out of the CEO of Astronomer.
Speaker 2: Well he was anyway, the CEO of Astronomer, which is a tech company, and she is the head.
Speaker 1: Of HR for for said tuch company.
Speaker 2: Right, so basically she's fucking her boss.
Speaker 1: And apparently are they both married? Did I get that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're both married. Is not to each about the people, yeah, exactly, and.
Speaker 1: He's already resigned, right yeah, So this was just, I mean, the hypocrisy and double standard of it all is funny, but it you have to see the clip because when you showed me the clip.
Speaker 2: Just my favorite is the memes. In fact, I learned about this whole thing because of the memes. Like the one that I first saw was the one like the sad faced, white haired guy and the caption said, when you open up your laptop to check out the highlights of the Coldplay concert and find out you're getting.
Speaker 1: A divorce, right, It's like damn yeah.
Speaker 2: And then there's like unfortunately AI memes of like Fuzzy Bear and Miss Piggy.
Speaker 1: I saw that one.
Speaker 2: There was one of Homer Simpson and Lois Griffin. It's like the Internet is swift and ignorant.
Speaker 1: It's true, it's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean it's not funny that but it is funny. Yeah, it's funny. But yeah, no, they never think about the kiss, can I guess right? It's yeah.
Speaker 2: If I'm somewhere I other than where I say I'm going to be, I don't even post on social media that day y'all went to a whole ass concert.
Speaker 1: And this wasn't just like we called out from work that day. This is a whole last affair, right, And they're like, she's leaning back against in his arms and they're just the way into the medium. Cameras are everywhere, folks, so rethink that ship, I guess in public. But it does point to the hypocrisy, you know, of course, this is what happens, you know, because still within the corporate structure, there are actual rules we all sort of live by. W Why did why not in Washington d C? What when did we give up on all decorum and common sense and decency? When did we say it's okay to rape children with impunity and cover it up and get away with it? When when did that become okay?
Speaker 2: I swear I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I guess we asked March Green, huh, but you know. But yeah, this was definitely a moment, a moment of pop culture that has been flooding the internet. I had no like, why are we talking about cold Blay?
Speaker 2: Because could argue y'all spent money on Coldplay tickets for a whole ass show, so already your decision making skills are questionable and that's not real, shade. I actually do enjoy a cold Play tune. I mean you heard one?
Speaker 1: You can't I can't think of one. I can't.
Speaker 2: But it's like when when cold Play was the halftime show at the super Bowl, I'm like, when was that? Like it was the year that people discovered Beyonce was black because it was cold Play, and then it was Bruno Mars and then Beyonce showed up and she did formation and they were all dressed as black panthers. And then the next day everyone decided they didn't like Beyonce because they discovered she was black. I mean, that's not the reason they gave, but that's what happened. Yeah, Coldplay was the was the headliner?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm like, huh, why not? Oh I don't know any.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I'm not familiar, which is I'm just not Yeah, So that was That's that's where we are.
Speaker 2: Cluse cole Play don't exactly rock the house.
Speaker 1: And I didn't think so. On this day in pop culture, we've been so we've been watching The Gilded Age. We just were treated to two episodes. We are Opulence Porn, yes, and it is. We've we're rewatching Pose. We're in season three, yes, because Dominique Jackson called me elegant, So yeah, we're still watching that of course. Yeah. I continue to Yeah, keep my life even with episode reruns of Law and Order. I think there's probably a whole SPU season I haven't looked at yet. Yeah, but that's fine, but I'll binge it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, like talking about the opulence, porn and gilded age, like, I think I came a little when I saw that robe that George Russell.
Speaker 1: Was where, got way too excited.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I want that robe. It was silk, and it was black, and it had gold shimmering like like floral patterns.
Speaker 1: It was and a train. You were not kidding.
Speaker 2: That gorgeous.
Speaker 1: It did not have it follow you and peel on it.
Speaker 2: It did not have a tree. I mean it might have, it would not surprise me.
Speaker 1: If it did. I didn't even know. I didn't even catch what you were pointing to.
Speaker 2: It was gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I did not catch it.
Speaker 2: Like between that robe and the red silk wallpaper in that one scene, well, yeah, the hallway cha, I was damp. Wow. Wow.
Speaker 1: It's uh yeah, I wonder what it costs to do that. Good God, but yeah, it's it's it's quite something. We captures a period of uh, you know, and and just showed up on the storyline.
Speaker 2: I don't think it might be in her contract now, like she don't play non bougie bitches no more.
Speaker 1: She really doesn't, I guess.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm saying no more. I'm thinking back to Claire hawk Stable. I don't think she plays.
Speaker 1: This one's not even funny though, this one's just and I mean Audra McDonald in her role in the Gilded Age, convinced me she would be a phenomenal rose and gipsy, which of course she was. And watching Felicia Roshad out bougie Audra McDonald's is something to see. It is something to see.
Speaker 2: But her character played definitely to the sentiment of the time because we're talking about a time when black folks were just emancipated like well some in.
Speaker 1: Some had lived free in the north right, which is you know, Claire Huxtable's character, but you know some were former slaves at this point because we're looking at what the eighteen eighties, I guess, right, So you've got you know, characters first generation former slaves, which is the character that is Ardre McDonald's husband has become a very successful pharmacy owner, right pharmacist, and.
Speaker 2: She looked down on him, Felicia Chide's character looked down on him because a he was a former slave.
Speaker 1: And the they were a little too black, right, Yeah, because there was the little scene about keeping the children out of the sun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God forbid they get anymore son, right, And I'm like, y'all about to tell the tell the real story though, because that's some ship and Lord knows that still permeates. Now.
Speaker 1: That was a moment of don't let them get any darker.
Speaker 2: Because that's still Oh my god. There are people, there are black people walking around now who will only date people of a certain hue because they don't want the kids to be any blacker than they are.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: There's dark and brown skin black women who will not date dark and brown skin black men because they don't want to have kids who are as dark or darker.
Speaker 1: Does that work every time, though, because I don't think it does.
Speaker 2: I mean, genetics can be interesting.
Speaker 1: Right, because yeah, I mean I've seen families of very different shades my parents, because that's just the roll of the dice, right, Yeah, I mean, just like in my family, some some have you know, very olive skin that tans and never burns, and some are paper fucking white. You can read your mind, turn right and turn red when they walk outside, and shades in between and I same family and jeans and just different iterations. Doesn't it work the same?
Speaker 2: Yes than not, to a degree more often than not. You know, it's a closer correlation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I have seen two light, lighter skinned parents have a darker kid.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but the reverse doesn't tend to happen, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: What do you mean, too, dark people don't have a lighter kid. Okay, maybe not, but but I have seen, you know, children darker than their parents. It happens because genes tanatics are interesting things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm just saying that's a mindset that's real.
Speaker 1: Just like a passing you know, black person who passes is white and has a child with you know, another white person, and the child is.
Speaker 2: Then your grandmom's jeans kicking and.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, and every nobody's happy at the at the christening, right Yeah, I just how can work anyway? Yeah, that was an interesting line. Get those children out of the sun. Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: The white man done fucked it up for everyone.
Speaker 1: Well, I've been saying that my whole life because it's felt that way from over here. To say it, it's never made sense to me.
Speaker 2: Fucked up our mind, our bodies, our spirits, our money, our air, the water, all the Captain Planet components, all of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that anyway, watching.
Speaker 2: That all that to say all that Gilded Age is good.
Speaker 1: We're watching the Gilded all that to talk about TV. And there's a Billy Joel special. I really really really want to say. Yes, I love Billy Joel music, the poet laureate of Long Island.
Speaker 2: I'm interested in watching that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to see that. A big fan of his music in real time. I saw I was at several Billy Joel concerts and you know the piano mentor when he was with Elton John And yeah, big fan. So I'm curious. I want to see that that documentary, Yes, because he's from my era.
Speaker 2: So this episode will be coming out and I will also be doing an interview with an author named Juano Diaz, who is the author of a book called Slum Boy that I have been reading, and that's going to be interesting. A little boy who grew up in the slums of Glasgow and the journey that he went through in a an orphanage and then getting a new family and reconciling his past with his present and the family he remembers with the family that he has. Yeah, it's it's going to be an interesting conversation.
Speaker 1: The dog is disgruntled. I look forward to that. Yeah, that sounds wonderful, Glasgow, Scotland.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, the book started off so depressing. Oh my god, it was insane, not depressing it and then it got better and then it got good.
Speaker 1: So I'm looking forward to that queer author.
Speaker 2: Yes, I assume, yes, oh yeah, because on top of all this, like he still hasn't grown up enough to recognize the fullness of his queerness. But there's been glimmers, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like glitter, a little trail exactly leading there. We love our queer authors, yes we do, reading their work and talking with them. Yes, that's all I got. Yeah, Yeah, that's all I got. I feel I've gotten everything off my spirit. No good, well for now.
Speaker 2: So I guess that means all that's left is some podcast business.
Speaker 1: Let's do that.
Speaker 2: If you haven't already, why don't you swing on by Apple Podcasts or good Pods or wherever you enjoy our show and leave us a review. Or a rating, or hit that subscribe button five stars of more. Please follow us on social at full Circle the Pod on Instagram and threads at Full Circle the Podcast on TikTok. You can follow Martha at I'm Martha Madrigal Everywhere. Her writing can be found at i Ammarthamadrigal dot WordPress dot com, i am at Never Stirred Everywhere, or you can just visit our link tree link tree slash Full Circle the Pod. If you have a story, idea, or some gossip, or just want to say hi and tell us we're doing a great job, drop us a line at ask Full Circlepod at gmail dot com. We'd love to hear from you. You could also consider supporting Full Circle the Podcast by becoming a patron at our patreon Patreon dot com slash Full Circle the Pod. Starting at just a three dollars a month tier, you get access to all of our episodes ad free and before everyone else. Then, starting at the six dollars a month tier, you get access to our behind the scenes in bonus footage and it only gets better from there. It's fun. Over at the Patreon, you can also check out our discord channel. Full Circle the Podcast podcast business over.
Speaker 1: Okay, alrighty, you can't think of anything? Clap. I guess we're done.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Listening to Full Circle the podcast. I am your host Martha Madrigal.
Speaker 2: And I am your host Charles Tyson Jr.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for being with us.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: Everyone.
Speaker 2: Full Circle is a Never Skured Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, Produced and edited by Never Scurd Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Berries. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders