Speaker 1: This is Dan Caplis and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Caplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform.
Speaker 2: A lot of parents with kids in school worried about what their kids are getting a hold of, and a lot of people across the state just know someone who's been affected by fentanyl or a fentanyl death. And if you talk to the law enforcement officials, they'll tell you every single drug in Colorado right now, including marijuana, is being laced with fentanyl. And so that's why I'm very happy to have Senator Byron Pelton on the show with me today. He is sponsoring a very important bill this next legislative session, which starts on Wednesday already to help solve the drug crisis in our state. Welcome Senator Pelton to the Dan Kapla Show.
Speaker 3: Christy, thanks for having me. And I have to tell you that introduction for Dan Caplis. Boy, if I could walk into the session with that introduction, that would be awesome.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It feels like is a fight every time.
Speaker 2: So true, So try to like pump you up for the fight that's about to come.
Speaker 3: Exactly. That's correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Well, I think our listeners would love to hear about your bill, and I know I'll also ask you about if you have any bipartisan support or how you're seeing you to pass the potential passage of this bill. But first, I guess let's talk about what's in it. What is in your fentanyl bill?
Speaker 3: Well, basically, what I'm doing is I am going to take back We're going to make it to zero grams possession and distribution of anyanyl drug, any petanyl at all, which means I'm going after the drug dealers specifically on this bill. If you sell the if you sell any drug at all, that or that if you sell a fetanyl and it kills somebody, it's going to give you a Class one felony drug felony. And then if you have any possession and trying to distribute that possession of that drug, it's going to be a class four felony. So I'm making it all felony again, and I'm bringing down the amount that you can actually possess on yourself as zero grams a sentinel. So that's what I'm trying to do with this bill.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's great, and so what would the bill do for someone who possesses any amount, let's say a small amount, but has no intent to distribute. How would they be affected by the bill?
Speaker 3: Well, they would still be affected by the bill because what they've had it where they're possessing the drug. But the thing about it is that that they would be able to if the DA if on the DA's job to prove that. Yeah, if you can't prove it, then they then they're still going to be able to, uh, still end up with the misdemeanor. But for the most part, I'm trying to go after the drug dealers with still that's what that's my.
Speaker 2: Intent, well, in including the low lever low level drug dealers, because I think that's an issue I've heard from some of the sheriffs is a lot of people want to target the big drug dealers, and of course we need to, we want to break up these rings, but it's also the low level dealers who are the ones that a lot of addicts deal with and get their drugs from, and those are at least from my understanding, they're often people who are addicted to the drugs themselves, but sell it to pay for their habit and so are also involved in the rings, but often carry maybe a less amount than the big drug dealers, So sometimes they slip through the cracks in the laws and you can't really go after them, right.
Speaker 3: And the thing about it is is that when they made everything a this demeanor, they really took away the DA and the law enforcement's power right and negotiate with these low level drug dealers to get the bigger drugs exactly. That's the whole point of this bill is to really focus on getting those low level drug dealers to turn in their suppliers. But then the DA and the law enforcement can go after them, and then these guys will end up with more of a we're going to send you over to We're going to send you over to getting treatments or that sort of thing, instead of making you go to jail. If you've hand over the people that are selling you.
Speaker 4: This drug, that's key.
Speaker 3: It's really given the tools to the das and to the DAS into law enforcement to really go after the drug dealers, the big time drug dealers, right.
Speaker 2: Which is so important because some of them take forever to uncover and if they can have a key piece of evidence in these low level dealers and give them so many more options to stop the spread here in Colorado. And we're talking to Senator Byron Pelton, who's sponsoring a very important bill on fentanyl and drugs here in Colorado, increasing the penalty specifically for drug dealers. Senator Pelton, what does it look like as far as bipartisans support on this bill? What are you expecting to happen in the Senate in particular?
Speaker 3: Well, I am looking. I'm looking to see if we can get somebody on the bill with me that will be bipartisan. However, right now I don't have anybody. I have corded a few people across the aisle, none of them are very interested in bringing the level down to zero. So apparently the thing that I'm getting is that they don't want to be caught up and they don't want people getting caught up in the system, which that is not what my intent is. My intent is to strictly go after drug dealers with this bill to stop the flow of drugs into our communities and the one who's killing our kids, basically is what I'm trying to do.
Speaker 2: Right Well, and do you know so if they're objecting to your version of the bill, we should obviously make our communities safer and stop a lot of the drugs. Do they have a different version they're bringing or are they ignoring the issue? To your at least to your knowledge, to my.
Speaker 3: Knowledge, what they feel like is the Fitanel bill that has passed in the past has is doing its job. And I will I have DA's in my district that disagree.
Speaker 4: Right absolutely.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a great example here in Logan County in twenty nineteen, when I was a county commissioner, we had to take all the courts took sixty eight children from their home due to meth antetamy. Oh my, the laws aren't the laws aren't working. And even I know that that bill was passed in twenty one, but it still wouldn't be working. Still today, we had a huge issue with drugs in the state of Colorado and we got to do something to stop it.
Speaker 2: Well, right, I totally agree with you, And I mean I was looking recently at fentanyl overdose deaths in Colorado and in twenty twenty three, which is the latest year, I believe, we have numbers for it was still increasing, and it's been like a four hundred and forty percent increase in the last five years of fentanyl overdose deaths nearly two thousand people in twenty three, So no signs at all that it's being reduced after the bill that was passed in twenty one. So it's pretty clear to me, I think in anyone who looks at the numbers that we have to do more, like your bill would offer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is correct. I mean, we do have to do more. And right now there are a lot of families out there that are dealing with deaths of their children, death of a loved one. Here in Logan County not too long ago, we actually had a mom and a dad overdose on overdose and leave three children as wards of the state. So wow, these are things that communities have to pay for. It hits our pocketbooks. But the most the thing that I'm really, really really searching for is holding somebody accountable for selling those drugs to that injured that individual or victimize that family. And that is really what I'm trying to focus on with this bill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think to your point, Senator Pelton, also having an effective means to turn the low level drug dealers on the big drug dealer, and to do that you often do have to charge them with a heavier penalty. So they're motivated to cooperate with DA's and law enforcement and go get the big guys. That it seems like a very effective thing to do that we're not doing in Colorado right now.
Speaker 4: So I'm glad to hear your bill would do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's exactly what we're for. That's exactly what we're trying to do here with this bill. I have a great sponsor in the House by Representative Armags. Yes, he's a great sponsor in the House. He's a big help on the drug issue down there and over there in his district, and I do appreciate all of his work. But so far we can't get anybody across the aisle on the bill with us well, and.
Speaker 2: I think that says a lot about them and where they are and not being willing to solve the drug crisis.
Speaker 4: You know, if they want to bring their own bills.
Speaker 2: I guess we'll see what happens in a couple of days when the session starts. But what's very clear, I think is that in Colorado, if the politicians aren't going to fix it. We can go to the people on the ballot and get it fixed. So we do have to take a break. Senator Byron Pelton, I'm so happy to have you on the show. Thanks for joining us and running this bill.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll talk to you later. I'm Christy Burton Brown. You're on the Dan Capla Show.
Speaker 5: You're listening to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 2: News today including Phil Weiser announcing he's running for governor on the Democrat side in a shock to almost no one, and most people in Colorado still don't actually even know who he is. Probably why he's announcing so soon, has a lot of work to do and name ID to catch up on. Also been talking about the news from Jefferson County School District where the chief of schools was let go from his position about a month ago by Jefferson County Public Schools not providing a lot of information to parents, many of whom were questioning exactly what was going on. And then today Washington County in Maryland reported that he had committed suicide in Maryland while he was with family over the holidays, and Jefferson County Sheriffs also released that he was under investigation for possession of child sexual assault material also called child pornography, but I think that term for it is much better that the Jefferson County sheriffs are using. So what exactly does the chief of public schools chief of schools do in Jefferson County. He supervises a lot of the positions a lot of this staff. They also have some things to do with the test the kids take and positions like that. But David Weiss was his name, and he also was a former elementary school teacher before he came over as chief of schools in Jefferson County, and very concerning in Jefferson County when you look at what he was charged with in many parents asking whether or not their kids were involved in his crimes and whether or not they were victims of anything he was participating in. Those answers haven't been disclosed yet. Jefferson County Sheriff's Department, to my knowledge, is still investigating exactly what was going on.
Speaker 4: But as we talked about earlier.
Speaker 2: In the show, is the concerning pattern going on in Jefferson County public schools where para professionals counselors, social workers, and other people who are working with the children in the schools are being arrested time and again. This was the fifth time last year for sexual assault on children by person in place of trust or possession of child sexual assault material. So a very concerning pattern in Jefferson County public schools, and I think one of the ways that some of the details have been uncovered and released in Jefferson County public schools is the work of parents' rights groups in the area. This is why if you're a parent who sends your kid to a neighborhood public school, it's very important to be involved, to know what goes on, to talk to other parents, and to not accept no for an answer when they say you can't access to the material that your kids are being shown in the classroom, or the speakers that are coming to the assembly, or the books that are in the library. I've had parents ask me that what do you do when they just tell you no, and they say they don't have the book list for you, and they act like it's difficult for them to provide information to you. And basically my answer is that you don't take no for an answer.
Speaker 4: You're a parent.
Speaker 2: You have the right to demand access to the information that your child is being given, and you have the right to pull your kid out of a class if you don't like that they're being taught particular material, and you have the right to object. You have the right to ask for your child to be assigned a different book. I think it's very important for parents to know how exactly they can exercise their rights if you do choose to send your child to a neighborhood public school. Personally, if I live in Jefferson County, I would definitely question whether or not my child should go to the neighborhood public schools in that county and school district in particular, when they're having this many issues with children being preyed upon by adults in positions of trust. That's deeply, deeply concerning, And if I were a parent in Jefferson County, I would definitely be looking into charter schools, homeschooling, private schools, whatever I could do to get my child out of the neighborhood public schools right now until these situations are resolved.
Speaker 4: Thankfully, I don't live in Jefferson County.
Speaker 2: I live in Douglas County, which I think is proof that some neighborhood public schools can be very well done and can look out for children. So, you know, I think it's important as conservative when we're talking about school choice and education, that we have a balanced approach and say that, you know, public education is how most children are going to get educated in our country. We need solid, good, accountable neighborhood public schools. But when we see issues, and when we see problems, whether it is with kids reading scores and math scores, or whether it is with them literally being preyed upon by adults and positions of trust, we need to consider taking our kids out of those school and putting them into better schools that actually take care of our children, produce better results, and accomplish the goal that we all should be here for, which is educating our children and setting them up for success. I just got elected to the state Board of Education in Colorado in November and will be sworn in next Wednesday. Actually, so I'm very interested to see and learn all the things that we talk about on the state Board of Education, all the things we hear about from schools across the state. But I think most people across the state don't even know there is a state Board of Education. Colorado is one of a handful of states across the nation that elect their members on the state board. In many many states they're appointed by the governor. But here in Colorado you actually get someone who represents your particular congressional district. We'll certainly hear some charter school appeals, accountability issues, also license your issues. When teachers licenses are suspended or pulled. It is the state Board of Education that actually here's that situation and approves the license to be poled.
Speaker 4: Or suspended or not.
Speaker 2: And from the information I have gathered, you would be very surprised to know how just how many people working in schools have their licenses under consideration of suspension or removal for what they're doing in the classroom or what they're doing on official school time. A lot of times it's involved substance abuse, not always as dire of a situation as Jefferson County is encountering right now. If you have thoughts or information, I've had someone message me while I've been on the radio giving me more information about the Jefferson County situation. If you know more want to talk about it, you can call eight five five four zero five eight two five five or text Dan to five seven seven thirty nine.
Speaker 4: Let's also play this clip.
Speaker 2: I just want to remind you of exactly who Phil Wiser is if you missed an earlier segment. This is one of the main reasons I don't think Phil Wiser a has any chance to be governor in Colorado. But b why we should absolutely make sure he's not governor is due to his position on crime. This is a clip from him back in twenty twenty two talking about how we should deal with auto theft.
Speaker 6: So after someone commits a third or fourth car theft in say three months, they should be kept in with a really high bond, because you got a sense they're gonna get out, they're gonna commit more crimes.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let's Pilwiser, Attorney General at the time running for reelection, acting like he's been very, very strong and bold on crime to say, let's keep these guys in jail after they've stolen three or four cars.
Speaker 4: I mean, they don't deserve bail or bond at all at that point.
Speaker 2: With in reality, anyone who knows anything about the situation of auto theft or crime in Colorado understands that people who steal cars when they're released on pr bonds, the first time they steal a car, they get back out and they steal a car again the same exact day. What law enforcement officials have shared with me in my position at Advanced Colorado when we talk about future ballot initiatives to deal with crime here in our state, they say that, in fact, people who steal cars are some of the most dangerous criminals to law enforcement officers. They are willing to run them over with cars, They're willing to assault them, They're willing to do anything it takes to get away to get back associated with their car theft ring and steal more cars.
Speaker 4: So for anyone who wants to dismiss it as.
Speaker 2: Well, auto theft is just a property crime. We've lowered the rates in Colorado. Well a lot about you, but I don't think lowering from number one state in auto theft to number four state in auto theft is a position we should be proud of at all in Colorado. But it really goes far beyond property crimes because they extend it to assaulting the police officers violently who are trying to detain them, trying to arrest them, and then what a lot of the judges in Colorado do let them out on personal recognizance bonds, their word that they'll show up in court. That's what we're dealing with, still with auto theft in Colorado, and Phil Weiser has no concept of how dangerous of a situation. This actually is what law enforcement are actually saying on the ground. You should definitely not be governor. I'm Christy Burton Brown. You're on the Dan Kapla Show. You can call in over the break eight five five four zero five eight two five five or text Dan to five seven seven three nine.
Speaker 5: And now back to the Dan Kaplas Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Text your thoughts to Dan at five seven seven three nine. The Louisiana Attorney General had suggested that the Sugar Bowl should be postponed until Friday. Was originally scheduled to be played on Wednesday, between Notre Dame and Georgia. Louisiana did postpone it until today, but it's actually just about to end. It looks like the score is Notre Dame twenty three, Georgia ten. There's a few seconds for remaining in the game. But the Louisiana Attorney General did clarify and say the reason she thought it should be postponed until Friday was because people in New Orleans needed more time to grieve and deal with the attack that left fifteen people dead and at least thirty five injured, and she said that they were still actually, at least at some point today, still cleaning up bodies off the street. Hours after that, I think before the Sugar Bowl, Bourbon Street did open again in New Orleans, and obviously the majority of people in the state, or those making decisions anyways, decided to keep the Sugar Bowl and keep it on going. And I think that's always the American debate when we talk about terrorist attacks on our nation, is keeping our country going how we're used to doing things, and not closing down everything and not letting terrorists think that they can control what we do and what we celebrate and where we go and how we live our lives. I think that commonly becomes the American position is to say, you know, maybe for twenty four hours, we'll shut something down. We're definitely going to investigate, we're definitely going to catch you and take you down, but we're not going to let you stop our way of life. You know, I think the attorney Chantal had a perfectly reasonable position to say that, you know, give give Louise, give the state, give the people twenty four more hours, and postponed by two days. But that's not what they ended up doing, and so the Sugar Bowl is probably ending as we speak right now, with Notre Dame winning.
Speaker 4: When we talk.
Speaker 2: About sports, everyone who ever listens to me knows that Dan is far more an expert on sports than I am. But on New Year's I've actually got to go to an Avalanche game with my husband. He got some tickets from someone he works with, which was really really great because actually the guy who had the tickets has had thirty year season tickets with four seats down the ice actually well I mean literally on the ice, but right behind the goaltender. And my brothers actually grew up playing hockey, so I grew up watching a ton of hockey games.
Speaker 4: Love the Carudal Avalanche.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you have listened to me for a while, you know that my family actually drove into Colorado and moved here to the state in nineteen ninety six on the night the Avalanche won the Cup for the very first time.
Speaker 4: So I am a big Avalanche fan, even though I.
Speaker 2: Don't follow all their games, but it's pretty great to watch them on New Year's Eve.
Speaker 4: They won five to two.
Speaker 2: But what was particularly interesting is they were playing the Winnipeg Jets, which was the top ranked team in the NHL at the time in the division. If you follow hockey, Winnipig Jets were number one in the division and the Abs were a third, So winning this game was actually really big deal. What I thought was really strange about the game is with two minutes left, the Avalanche were up three to two, but the Jets decided to pull their goaltender. And again, if you're familiar with hockey, that usually doesn't happen until maybe the last minute or the last thirty seconds. If you can try and get one more goal and tie up the game, you will. You'll pull your goaltender and bring bring another person on the ice. But they did it with two minutes left, and so the Abs actually scored twice on an open net because even after they scored once, they still pulled out their goalie. And yeah, the Jets clearly weren't having a great night. They had two different people on their team break sticks. One was an accident. This is how the Abs actually.
Speaker 4: Scored their third goal.
Speaker 2: One of the Jets players his stick was snapped in half laying on the ice and so he could only like skate around but couldn't do too much. And then the other one who broke his stick actually purposely broke it at the end of the game and he whacked it against the goalposts. Because you know, the Apps one five to two, beating the top ranked team in the NHL.
Speaker 4: So I don't do sports, not much, but when I.
Speaker 2: Do, apparently I get to go to really great games. That was a really fun one to end twenty twenty four. And then in ball Arena they actually did indoor fireworks, which I have never seen before, but they did like a five minute firework show at the end, and it was really like literally just a bunch of fire coming up from the ice and then what I would say, our giants sparklers lighting up, but the music was very, very loud.
Speaker 4: It was a good five minute show to end the year.
Speaker 2: So hopefully you had a similarly great end to your twenty twenty four and are all ready for this year. In every new year, what I've done for the last couple of years is I have a goal to read a certain number of books.
Speaker 4: I don't know what kind of goals you guys have.
Speaker 2: But one of the books that I started this year started listening to you today, as a book by Neil Gorsich. His new book called Overruled, And as everyone knows, he is a Supreme Court justice, happens to be my favorite justice on the US Supreme Court, and also, of course a justice from here in Colorado used to serve on the Tenth Circuit.
Speaker 4: But his book Overruled, I think a lot of you would find.
Speaker 2: Very interesting because it actually talks about all the ways that laws, too many laws, burden individual people's lives.
Speaker 4: He talks about.
Speaker 2: His theory that law should not only be crafted to serve the general public, but specifically to defend individual rights. If you are an individual and the law is trampling all over your rights in the name of protecting or I guess, giving something in particular and really protecting them, but giving something in particular to the general public, we should really look at a law like that and say, why is it trampling all over the rights of the individual. So I appreciate his perspective that he's very centered on the rights of individual people.
Speaker 4: That's what our nation is founded on.
Speaker 2: So it makes America unique that we don't just look at everyone as a big monolith, but we look at individuals and at protecting every person's equal protection under the laws. He's very big on the equal protection clause, actually written a whole book on that, which I also recommend. But one reason that the book overruled is particularly interesting by Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorstich is in light of the fact that the Chevron doctrine was overturned last year. In my work at Advanced Colorado, we submitted in a Meekas brief in that case on the right side, and the court did overturn the Chevron doctrine. After decades of that doctrine being used by regulatory agencies executive power, both in the federal governments and in states.
Speaker 4: It really hasn't been corrected in states yet.
Speaker 2: But to create all these regulations that trample small businesses and corporations at large, and with every new president, the regulations change, and so expectations and pressures on businesses become different, requirements change up. You can't even expect what the law requires you to do. One of the big problems with the Chevron doctrine, and there were a lot, but the US Supreme Court, with Neil Gorstich on it, overturned that doctrine last year. His book over Rule specifically brings a lot of stories to light where people were trampled on in their small individual lives by an overwhelming body of law, where often government officials weren't even aware of all the laws they had. So if you're not necessarily looking for a super scholarly read, which you might think you would find from a US Supreme Court justice is only like super in the clouds highly intellectual treatises, And I'm sure he writes those two, but I think he's really good in his books about bringing it down to earth and actually sharing the stories of people fishermen, foster parents, people like that who were deeply affected by a law. On rogue, I would say law being misused by regulatory agencies, volumes of laws being created when a couple of pages are all that were all that was required. So if you also like to hear about stories of how law has taken over people's lives and damaged it but then was corrected, and what the solutions are are going forward for course for lawmakers for average citizens to fight against this. I think the book Overruled by Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorstich.
Speaker 4: Is a great read.
Speaker 2: That's how I'm starting off my new year, and hopefully you have some great goals too. Welcome to share them with us if you want to text in Dan to five seven, seven three nine, or you want to call eight five five four zero five eight two five five. We're about to take a break on the Dan Kaplis Show, but I'm actually going to be back tomorrow too.
Speaker 4: After this hour is over.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, I have a lot of guests coming on the show, so I hope you'll tune in then as well. We're going to talk to a new state representative who's bringing I think one of the most critical pieces of criminal justice legislation this session. I think he already has some bipartisan support on it. We're going to talk to Barb Kirkmeyer, who many people think might run for governor on the Republican side. But don't worry, she's not making an announcement. She's actually on the JBC Joint Budget Commitee. I'm going to talk about the big, big problem in the budget for the state and the legislature to contend with this year. And then we'll also have on Michael Fields, who's the president of Advanced Colorado. We are releasing on Monday legislative policy agenda for twenty twenty five with some critical issues we think the state should deal with, So he'll be here tomorrow to talk about that as well. Keep it right here on the Dan Kapla Show.
Speaker 5: You're listening to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 2: To accomplish more things, get good things done, and hopefully learn a lot more. One of the potentially not so great things about this year is there doesn't seem to be a change yet in affordability in Colorado. I was just talking to a friend of mine, oh, and bowling with our friends on New Year's Day, or really the kids old and the parents talked. But one of my friends was sharing that they were evaluating their budget over the year and comparing kind of year to year estimates and that groceries had cost them seven hundred dollars more a month in twenty twenty four. And actually, if you read some really good reports done by the Common Sense Institute here in Colorado, it actually matches up. In case people are like, oh, my goodness, that's an outlier. It's actually not. The Common Sense Institute showed that in twenty twenty four, the average Colorado family was paying twelve hundred dollars more a month in basic expenses, whether you're talking about groceries, transportation, which of course includes gas, housing or healthcare was the other one, and so obviously it's going to look a little different for different families.
Speaker 4: Some were going to end up spending more at the grocery store.
Speaker 2: Some in gas, and some certainly in healthcare or housing. I do think there's some relief, obviously with housing when it relates to property taxes on the way, due to the deal that was reached in the special session in twenty twenty four, which caps property tax increases for people and prevents the giant spikes that we saw. But those kind of inflationary prices and increase in costs lack of affordability in Colorado don't really show that they're going to be coming down. So that's going to be a hard thing to confront in twenty twenty five. I'll be very interested when we talk to Senator Barb Kirkmeyer tomorrow how she is going to explain how the state is going to deal with it.
Speaker 4: It has too much debt.
Speaker 2: Basically, it can't well, let's see, they can't fund everything they're supposed.
Speaker 4: To pay for.
Speaker 2: She could explain it a lot better than I can. She's on the Joint Budget Committee, and we'll talk about all of that. But the Klora budget is in trouble. The legislature has to figure out ways to cut basically because they don't have the money they claim they need to pay for things. And Colorado actually prevented from going into debt as a state because we have certain limits, and so the state's gonna have to cut.
Speaker 4: Of course they like to.
Speaker 2: Claim they can't, but I think Senator Kirkmeyer will have some good answers on how the state is going to have to do what families in Colorado are doing, which is looking at budgets and cutting non essential things because you have to pay for food on your tables and essential things to pay for for your kids. I think one of the other interesting things coming into this new year will be to see how much influence someone like Elon Musk actually has when Trump gets into office. He's obviously had a fairly outsized influence spending some political money.
Speaker 4: He claims he's going to keep doing that.
Speaker 2: Also pretty in with the Make America a Great Again team. But it'll be interesting to see a difference in Trump on the campaign trail with Elon Musk. Does it stay the same in the White House? Does it become different? Obviously he put him, along with Vek roam Oswami, in charge of Dodge and so we'll see how many of those suggestions and recommendations to get the United States in a good budget actually happens, and how many cuts happen to bad spending. I hope a lot of them happen, but we'll see. I think one of the good things about how vocal Elon Musk has decided to be after he bought Twitter or x is that he's bringing attention to a lot of things that governments would rather cover up. I think we need people with a loud voice and outsized influence to expose what's going on in government that people should be aware of. He's actually doing that right now. In the UK, there were a lot of actually this is gonna sound horrible because it is, but child rape gangs led by people from Pakistan who are over in the UK, and there was.
Speaker 4: A failure of investigation.
Speaker 2: And Elon Musk is talking about this on Twitter, as are a number of other people right now. But Dude, in their criminal justice system in Britain, you actually have a person in a certain position who has to agree to prosecutions for serious crimes like rape. Well, their current prime minister used to be in that position. He used to be the person who had to approve these prosecutions. He failed to approve these prosecutions for people in these child rape gangs. And now all this is coming out, and so the person in that position right now is saying, no, we're not going to do an audit. We're not going to do an investigation, which a lot of people are pushing for in Britain right now, but they don't want to do it because it would likely implicate their current prime minister with his failure to investigate. And it goes even deeper than this, because not only did they fail to investigate, arrest.
Speaker 4: And charge the people who were involved in these.
Speaker 2: Child rape gangs, usually young girls actually who were kidnapped and taken by these gangs made up mostly or if not solely, by Pakistanis who were in Britain at the time, but They also actually arrested parents. When dads would come to the house where they found that their daughters were being held, police would show up and arrest the dads for coming to get their daughters. And if all this sounds like highly unbelievable when I first heard about it, I was like, there's no way that can actually be true.
Speaker 4: But it is.
Speaker 2: There's all this documentation. You can find it for yourself indicating exactly what is happening and did happen in particular with no consequences compared to what should have happened in Britain for these child rape gangs, and how parents were targeted for defending their own children and trying to rescue them, and the Prime Minister in his former position was involved in failing to solve this problem and get it under control and prosecute the people who were committing these absolutely horrible crimes. I think these were the kind of things that we need people like Elon Musk on Twitter, on x bringing to light and talking about the corruption in so many governments, because I think often when things are brought to light, then people can do things about them, bring them to an end, and figure out a way to prevent them. From happening ever again, I'm gonna go to the text line. In our last few minutes, I know a number of people gave some ideas. I talked about reading Overruled by Neil Gorsich. Another person says, I'm reading the blueprint looking for ways to undo the Democrat hold and execute a retaking of Colorado. And they also think we need John Oway to run for governor. He'd be a lot better than Phil Wiser. Someone else says we should search Gorsic PBS firing line interview he did about three months ago, where he talked about his book and other things. He was very charismatic and engaging. Seems like a great guy and a great justice. I'd agree with that. He's my favorite justice on the US Supreme Court. I don't agree, of course, with every single opinion he's written, but he's written some really really great opinions focus on equal protection and individual rights for the individual, which I think there's too many jurists who lose that perspective a little bit and sometimes really do think of the greater good. And I understand that, but I think sometimes when you focus on the greater good in the.
Speaker 4: Law, you lose sight of the individual rights. That's very, very important.
Speaker 2: Someone else writing in about the insane cost of eggs and the store at Walmart. I am feeling that too. Thanks so much for being on the Dan Capitalists Show today. I'm Christy Burton Brown. I'll be with you tomorrow. A lot of great interviews coming up tomorrow, talk about the legislative session that is already upon us next Wednesday. Enjoy your new year. I'll be here on the Dan Caplis Show tomorrow. I hope you will be too.