Speaker 1: Hey everybody, it's Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Jihant BombCast, Episode eight hundred and eighty one. Today's March eleventh. Happy three eleven day to those that celebrate the color of this podcast is not Joe Cheese yellow. I'm your host today. Jan Michoa joining me. Co Captain of the ship is not here because he's tummy hooks, But instead we've got he's hanging by the water cooler.
Speaker 1: If you need to.
Speaker 2: Know how to print something at the office, he's there.
Speaker 1: He's hanging out in his cubicle.
Speaker 2: Your favorite coworker and mine Jee back along.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you for that intro. Jan.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: I've got my arm rested atop the Poland spring bottle. I'm holding a coffee in the other hand, and I want to know would you.
Speaker 2: Do this weekend? That's right. We have the Master of weekends. The weekends run through him throughout the week because that is the vibe and the energy he carries with them. It's always a Friday or Saturday somewhere with him. Damn writrs.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 4: I was worried you were going to intro me as the guy who knew the stuff about the printer because I've never once known how to connect to a printer ever.
Speaker 2: Shocking. Yeah, what about like in college?
Speaker 1: No, what do you mean?
Speaker 4: Why am I using a printer in college to an essay?
Speaker 5: I wrote an essay?
Speaker 1: I feel like essays.
Speaker 2: Dam have you ever printed anything ever?
Speaker 5: Um?
Speaker 1: Yeah, return labels sometimes? Okay?
Speaker 2: Sorry, Jen, go ahead, Yeah, okay, no, yeah, that's something. You never had to write an essay for your film degree, an elective or a script for a film. I kind of just got credit for.
Speaker 1: Stuff I did on the side anyway, what does that mean?
Speaker 4: A couple of times I did a pre wreck was Western sieve, and I did have a guy from the call center job I was. I paid him a hundred bucks to write an essay for him and he did so. I did that a couple of times. Yeah, okay, all right, my degree. I can't stress this enough that Yeah, all we all know, just in case you didn't know.
Speaker 2: I do know that he's the baddest man in games media. That's right. He's anarchy on the streets. Maybe the Mowana branded sheets like Mianati.
Speaker 5: Well, gee, whiz everyone. I think that we would just have a much more grand of a time if we toppled the government.
Speaker 2: Playful anarchy is a good character. I love this a lot. This is yeah, this is what. Uh, this is what Dean amber John Moxley, Dean Ambrose would have gone over if he just kind of adopted his g whiz mentality.
Speaker 1: He's the death rider of Giant Bomb.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, he's all of the death riders in one.
Speaker 5: Mainly pack, a bit less of utah, but mostly definitely a lot of pack.
Speaker 2: Mike k me with a death triangle. It's been too.
Speaker 5: Long, commercials, big trouble over, OK, anarchy trongle, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I want to read the Spotify autumn subtitle thing on that.
Speaker 2: What was that? He was doing an imitation? It was very good. It happened to you, and then I delivered. I almost called you Mac instead of Mike. Yes, yes, I'm thrown for a loop. Now I don't I don't know how to proceed with this podcast, but I do know how to proceed with some news, and uh, I'll just play this shop all right. It's not the news news yet, but we do have some news for you folks listening, watching live or the archive at home. If you've noticed, we've been doing some things we've been testing some things out here at gb h Q along with the Game Spot homies and the Fandom peeps, where uh, you know, we're kind of streaming continuously across all of these channels, and this has been a strong, concerted effort, a lot, a lot of a lot of moving parts behind the scenes. And as I try and get some visual accompaniment up, going to defer to mister Backlark, mister Reikert to explain what we got going on for y'all, Well, not all at once.
Speaker 3: Well, isn't that convenient that this is the day I have to be here and talk about the brand new thing that we're going to be starting this Thursday. We're calling it the Power Block. This is a combined effort between Giant Bomb and Game Spot and Fandom where we're gonna be having live stream days ranging in four or six maybe more hours a day of streaming content that you are all very familiar with and have come to love over the years. And we're gonna be starting things off on Thursday morning with a new imagined version of Jeffrey Grubb's Game mess Morning Show. Are we gonna say this?
Speaker 4: I think we got I was gonna say we can scoop grub here, But I think he also accidentally said it on the air before, so it might already be out there. But yeah, let's go ahead. Who wants to announce the name back? You're gonna do You're gonna do it all right, folks. Grubs News Show no longer Game Mess Mornings every weekday except for Tuesday, today, the BombCast day. It will be game breaking news coming to you at noon Eastern. Game Breaking News will kick off the power Block every day, and then after that we will launch into the day's programming. We've got, you know, several different things kind of lined up. You've probably seen all of them already. You've seen you know, Grubs Gimmicks on Wednesday followed by Blake Club Mondays right now, or you've got gb Kids followed by Reikert Roulette. We're gonna have a kind of an open block after the BombCast starting next week, so things will be like moving around. Not there are a few things that are set in stone. The BombCast is going to be set in stone. The dump truck on Thursday is set in stone. Fridays is going to be upf for vengeance, things like that. But we will have the ability to slot things in and out, to move things around. So if you see something not beyond this week that was on last week or vice versa, don't worry about it. All the standard shows are gonna be there and then we're gonna have fun with the other blocks. But that will be the Power Block every day from Une Eastern two five pm Eastern is the plan. Or you know, sometimes it'll go along, sometimes it'll in short, but generally we want this to be a thing you can just your at work, have us opening a tab.
Speaker 1: We will have programming on throughout the day.
Speaker 2: Speaking about the Power Block. If folks direct their eyeballs to the screen, now there's a little teas at the logo we got going on and Dan Power Block is not just going to feature GB folks. It's going to be people across the board right yes.
Speaker 4: In fact, this Thursday, the first official day of the Power Block, you will see the debut of the Game Spot show. That will be Kurt John Luke and Jake Decker. Typically, what are you laughing at, Jane? Are you laughing at GameSpot?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm laughing because I love that crew so much and since I've been going to the office more. I'm getting more of a glimpse into the let's say, how art is made.
Speaker 1: And let me.
Speaker 2: Tell y'all, I'm very very excited for everyone to get their eyeballs on what the game Spot crew has been cooking up. Yeah, they've added a soundboard and just just just stay tuned for the first Game Spot Show.
Speaker 4: Yes that will be Yeah, Thursday after game Breaking News will be the debut of the Game Spot Show. And we've also seen Tam and Lucy playing some split fiction lately. They'll be continuing that. But yeah, it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yeah, it's really cool. I think like it's you.
Speaker 3: Know, we have to figure out, you know, new ways to kind of like do content and figure out the best use of like the time we have and what we can do with it. And I'm very excited and I really again, I know I said this on the Dumb Truck last week. There's so many moving parts of this, uh and not a lot of people at all. So thank you to everyone who is a part of this. And it's it's sick, it's super sick. I'm really excited, very proud of everyone, and I hope you enjoy it because that's what we're doing now. To be clear, all right, we're gonna have a lot of everything's gonna be available after the fact as well, so you'll be able to enjoy that content wherever you probably originally saw it. Some things are going to wind up on GameSpot's YouTube channel, some stuff's going to wind up on a Giant Bombs YouTube channel. But you will be able to watch everything that we stream. There's never gonna be something that you actually miss. And yeah, it's a really exciting new chapter in what we're doing here. So thank you everyone again. And it's exciting. Shit, get excited. I am this is me excited. I'm very tired, but I am excited. It's tiredness with excitement behind the tired If that makes sense.
Speaker 4: You should be excited and the tiredness is understood. Jet back Lark is this guy. Let me tell you about this guy, Jeff Backlark, and how much work and time he is put into making this thing happen. Also, your son is smart and has a bright future. I just think, uh, you know, the Backlard plan is just just the best.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 4: I think your son is a well rounded kid. I think, you know, he's probably great on the rink. He's great in roadblocks. I just think he's uh get started on academics yours. No, no, no, he's probably doing great there. I don't have the report card, but just Jeff, I think you're doing a great job, and I.
Speaker 1: Think you should keep doing what you're doing. Yeah, what what.
Speaker 3: Is going on?
Speaker 1: What do you what? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Juff J But no, no, no, nothing but nothing, no, no, thank you. I appreciate available on Sunday. Nothing became available on Sunday that I expenced and uh was approved.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: So uh he got one of the wretched things.
Speaker 3: He's glazing my son because he bought a do WICKI.
Speaker 1: No, this is apropos of nothing. What are you talking about. I just think you're all great cool.
Speaker 3: I thought you were genuinely like gonna have a nice moment. I thought you're gonna have like a nice moment to do.
Speaker 1: I mean, yes, that's what I was saying, the nice things about you and your son.
Speaker 3: Right, But it's all because of a dumb ass retro team.
Speaker 4: I guess when you put there, that seems like a wild coincidence. But yeah, it's just a coincidence. But yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: Don't ever lie like that.
Speaker 2: Again, what a serendipitous moment we had here on the podcast.
Speaker 3: That's how we express emotions through transactional events.
Speaker 1: It works out great.
Speaker 4: But uh yes, no foreshoot Backlarer has been doing a ton of shit to make this thing go off the ground, and we've just been kind of heads down on the content and planning and all that stuff, and uh yeah, this is gonna be very fun.
Speaker 1: I think we're all very excited about it.
Speaker 2: Also, I can already see threads across the internet. Nothing is going away. Okay, we're renaming Grubs News Show. The BombCast is still here, Dump Truck is still here, BCR is still here, Brad already left. Okay, nothing is changing, We're just adding more stuff. You get Morse options at the buffet now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think going away is the government as it falls apart, paveway for the new world Order.
Speaker 1: You do that in the Mickey voice, Please God.
Speaker 5: That's gonna collapse and showing out the earth.
Speaker 3: Why while he got delicious, Why are you so bad at Mickey? That seems bad?
Speaker 2: Mickey?
Speaker 4: I love how Yeah of the Mickey voice I've heard in my life just comes from Mike Manatti.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard shoot Mickey talk. Ever, I've heard Mike Natti do this ale. You've never to Disneyland together, you can Mickey.
Speaker 5: It's again once again, it's not that you've never heard Mickey Mouse talk. It's that you have never absorbed Mickey Mouse talking the probably one hundred times it's happened around you.
Speaker 1: It's possible, it's possibility, it's possibly.
Speaker 2: I am sure that I have a video clip somewhere on a hard drive of a Mickey voice happening in your vicinity.
Speaker 1: We went on the Mickey Mouse right together. He talked to he's talking during the ride.
Speaker 5: Yes, you says to me.
Speaker 3: It's that voice, that's Mickey, Like, that's the voice, you know, the voice.
Speaker 1: Talks to.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, all right.
Speaker 3: There's there's two reasons I came on the BombCast today all three because grubs. Yeah that's one.
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 3: Obviously it's great and advantageous talking about the Power Block debut on Thursday, twelve pm Eastern nine pm nine am Pacific. But also because I I think I pooped next to Eli Manning.
Speaker 1: Okay, where.
Speaker 2: So at your house?
Speaker 3: No, No, he wasn't here, but our kids play hockey in the same league together, and uh, my child played his child in a hockey game and he was there and uh we pooped together.
Speaker 1: You know it was him, like you know the shoes like who he is.
Speaker 2: I know because I know who he is.
Speaker 1: But they're not like last bathroom dividers, like.
Speaker 3: Well, it was like, let's just say, it's a situation where it's like I I just know what happened.
Speaker 1: You peering between the slot and the door.
Speaker 2: Nothing like that.
Speaker 3: Come on, Dan, come on, let's keep it straightnment. Well, I just you know, just like sort of you you leave a bathroom, you see someone outside the bathroom, and you're like.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, okay, did I bet Dylan played better than his son?
Speaker 2: Right? His daughter? No comment?
Speaker 1: Okay, very diplomatic.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, you said a lot by not saying anything. Well, I believe in no comment.
Speaker 1: I believe what I believe in now you.
Speaker 2: Do, which is nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fantastic, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Uh gosh, I I like. I like both of these new fun dumb logos. Uh oh, very good, very good work across.
Speaker 3: The I have another one for you that's not the one. I sent you a different one, but that's fine. Put up in a break where.
Speaker 2: Did you send me that one in slack.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like those logos a lot.
Speaker 3: Of sparks, the shout out to uh, to Dan hour, to h to Jerem helping us whip up all this amazing art and relatively brief amount of time. Tremendous work.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, Also, along with a new name to the morning news show, it will also be getting new music.
Speaker 1: Uh and y'all will hear that debut on Thursday as well.
Speaker 5: Now, work on me, bears, We're not yummy like them anymore. I'm sorry everybody, it's over.
Speaker 2: That's right, The yummy era a giant bomb has ended.
Speaker 3: Okay, nothing is delicious anymore.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Uh Uh.
Speaker 2: I do hope you leave a delicious life, just like I hope Lady Gaga lives one as she rides away on her suitcase.
Speaker 3: Yo, I gotta say that new album is It's all right. I'm a hugelyah.
Speaker 2: I know that it was a big deal when I saw one. Matt Piscatella of Sircana quoting Lady Gaga's Abracadabra song Na, there's a lot.
Speaker 4: Of Is it the same Abercadabra that Eminem sampled with his.
Speaker 1: New single Okay, Miller, Okay, I thought I heard.
Speaker 5: I thought I heard that some kids were saying that Lady Gaga is just reheating nachos with the album and apparently some new phrase they say, reheating.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. Would you like to comment on the state of contemporary music? Mike Andati?
Speaker 5: I have no comment. I've not listened to the album. I just thought that I heard some kids were saying it was reheating nachos.
Speaker 2: Kids don't eat nachos anymore. Kids, fucking kids.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Look, I understand where maybe some of that commentary comes from. I think it's like more of a pivot into like eighties dance kind of stuff too, in a really satisfying way.
Speaker 2: But no, it's not.
Speaker 3: I don't call it reheating nachos. Every every artist with their iterative albums is reheating nachos.
Speaker 2: To some degree.
Speaker 1: It is jos, this is.
Speaker 2: Just a nacho thing for you, like I guess it.
Speaker 5: So my uh, my grandpa is a cop, so he got all of this. All the cops dealt in government cheese. That was like the currency they exchanged for favors because they would all just get access to it. So my Grandma would make these nachos with the government cheese, and they were just the best nanchos.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, government cheese. Yeah. Wait, is that a real thing and not just saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, coverment cheese is real?
Speaker 3: I thought only bugs bunny had access to that? What's going on here? What is government cheese?
Speaker 5: It's just it was a lot like velveta. To be honest, is this like where do you get it?
Speaker 1: Like at the state House?
Speaker 6: The government? How do you Why are they making cheese? Is it like a treasury? What it's it's I think it's a program to help the poor. Was what it's supposed to be? Oh, I know what kind of cheese you're talking about?
Speaker 1: Now? Okay, go and cops. Yeah, cops get cheese.
Speaker 5: Well they get some access to it somehow, perhaps not totally on the up and up, and.
Speaker 3: Everyone knows cops get coppers get infinite bullets and infinite cheese.
Speaker 5: No, that's such a strong word. Did Can you really steal if you don't even believe in the government, that it can't be its property exactly?
Speaker 2: Hell?
Speaker 5: Yeah, anything if I choose not to believe in it?
Speaker 2: Oh no, what if we accidentally turned Mike Manatti into a shoot anarchist.
Speaker 3: I'll get behind that. Whatever. It's better than whatever the hell he was before.
Speaker 5: No one knows the adult the anarchic political leaning Mike, Mike, while we're sharing news, can I can I game break this this news that you are actually Banksy?
Speaker 2: That'd be awesome.
Speaker 5: That was the artist that?
Speaker 1: What do you mean on the hood? What do you mean that artist was the Obama?
Speaker 3: That shepherd fairy dumb ass?
Speaker 1: Do we want?
Speaker 2: Who's weird?
Speaker 5: What kid was? I know what it is.
Speaker 3: It sounds like you just watched Exit through the gift shop and then that was the entirety of your art culture?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 5: Is that something about Disney ex.
Speaker 2: Guys, guys that the whole the whole place is a gift shop?
Speaker 5: Though, Mike, is that great about it? I love that about it.
Speaker 3: Somebody you're entering, you're entering, existing and exiting through the shop, living in the gift shop.
Speaker 5: To be clear, as I am anti government, still very pro Disney World, still very much in favor of that.
Speaker 3: All right, the before we pivot, though, have you ever heard anyone in response to like hearing banks you say that was the artist?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: I could identify a banks piece. I went to Mario Day yesterday at a bar. I took the day off to I could go day drinking from Mario.
Speaker 3: That's a that's a holiday where you come from anarchy.
Speaker 2: He said, f f you to the man, I'm gonna drink.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: They had Plumber Porter. They had a special Mario beer there for the day. So that was fun.
Speaker 2: Uh. Yes, if if you want to see any of Mikey's adventures, he was posting about it, skating about it on Blue Sky. But Mike, I need to know more about how this bar celebrated Mario.
Speaker 5: They had a band there and the you know, it was like, uh, what would you call it? It was a normal well but they had a band, but the band also had a trombone and a saxophone along with the guitars and.
Speaker 2: Still a band. What do you mean?
Speaker 5: But you know what a band has a couple of horns.
Speaker 2: There's like a different Chicago, Yes, yeah, just Chicago.
Speaker 5: It was a good band. But they're playing a bunch of songs, Mario songs. And at one point they were like, now listen up, everybody, this is going to be perhaps a slightly more obscure one. And if you know what song it is you get a twenty five dollars gift card which is a local retro gaming store, and I'll tell you what's to be five seconds to recognize the theme of Laura from Silent Hill two because I am a professional gamer dot com copyright twenty twenty five. So I got my gift card and I was just beaming the rest of the every people coming up to be like, wait, what was it. I didn't know what it was. Oh, I thought it was from Dish I th aw from that. I was like, listen, listen your simpletons, you fools. No Silent Hill two, Now get out of my sight. I canep saying the look at you. It makes me sick.
Speaker 3: It seems like they missed a lot of like SKO opportunities to make it makes some fucking real bangers, if I don't mind saying, so, oh.
Speaker 5: That's a bangers. They did Golden. I like the pose menu music there for a bit. There's a lot of it. So they're aquatic ambiyon some dokey kunk Country was out of control. That was so good, Coconut Mall, Mario Kart at one point. There's a lot. They did a very good job, so very good this was there where you live. Yeah, yeah, yeah, this was a shot the Birdfish Brewery in Columbiana, Ohio.
Speaker 1: Check it out.
Speaker 5: If you're uh, you're from their parts. The good beer, good vibes. What's the pinball machines?
Speaker 1: Back will?
Speaker 5: What's the pinball machines?
Speaker 3: You plany or you just looked at them today?
Speaker 5: I did not. I played a bunch before. They have that. They have like the better version of that new Jaws machine that I love. That's my favorite machine right now. But they got they had a bunch. They have the stranger things. They have the Iron Maiden, they have that wild West one that's that's famous rush. They had all sorts of stuff there.
Speaker 3: Cool man, I'm proud of you, Bud. You did a good You did a good thing yesterday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I took work off to go drinking in the middle of the day.
Speaker 4: Well, we thought that was going to lead to you not being able to talk to Samoa Joe because it sounds like that's the time that he needed to record yesterday. But it turns out British pr people don't know about American daylight savings time stuff, and so he got double booked, so little programming.
Speaker 1: Note that did not happen.
Speaker 5: But that's how it went.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're going to see if we can make it happen again. But it was a thing that he was doing with OURGG studio and they just had him for yesterday, so I might just ask him if we can just do something on side. So if he is not on Thursday, it's because there was a double booking for that day. So we'll try to figure it out. So maybe maybe the hope is alive that Mike Manatti will talk to Smoa Joe.
Speaker 5: Silly Europeans.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right, speaking about silly Europeans. They make a couple of games.
Speaker 1: Now, sure, what do you mean?
Speaker 5: Why what game has Europe ever been?
Speaker 2: Eight? I'm assuming Joseph Ferris is European.
Speaker 1: He seems very European.
Speaker 2: And you know, when I was at the Split Fiction event, he seemed very tired because he took a plane from Europe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll do it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna put one in one together and say that Joseph Ferris maybe European. He made a silly game called split Fiction.
Speaker 1: You thought he was tired. He's just a shy guy. He was probably just.
Speaker 2: Being Yeah, that's what everyone says.
Speaker 1: About doesn't like being perceived at all, Like, yeah, just like me.
Speaker 2: Right, you and Joseph Ferris share a lot of similarities.
Speaker 5: I interviewed him. We had a great time as well.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 5: Nice.
Speaker 2: I've been playing a little bit more of Split Fiction, uh as As Dan mentioned at the top of the show, Lucy and Tam are going to continue playing through Split Fiction that continues this Thursday. But some of y'all have also been playing it or continuing to play it.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 4: I'm probably about halfway through with BNK. How many hours in are you, Jane?
Speaker 2: I'm about like, uh, I don't want to spoil anything because the set pieces are very short. Yeah, I would say like four or five or so hours.
Speaker 1: Yes, myself, I.
Speaker 2: Think we're eight.
Speaker 1: I want to say it's a good game.
Speaker 5: It's great.
Speaker 2: It's really good.
Speaker 1: It's very fun. It feels like it's just a straight up it's a roller coaster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just a roller coaster, right, It's just that that's kind of what it is. I've been playing it with Dib and.
Speaker 1: How's that been going.
Speaker 3: He's so yeah, right, he's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh.
Speaker 3: It has opened his eyes in a way that, like I think Astrobot kind of did where like it's like when you've been eating like the shitty chocolate your whole life, and then you get a taste of like European chocolate and you're just like, this was always around, I just never just never ate it before, and like that's what's happening. He plays Fortnite, which is a good video game, he plays that a lot, but he played three hours of this and he said, this is the best game I've ever played in my entire life. Now he's almost ten, So what does he know. He's just a dumb don't be hard on him. Yeah, okay, I like the angle of you enjoying him and glazing. I don't like the angle of you defending him against me. I feel like that this is where we have to draw the line a little bit. All kidding aside, He like, think about it, right, he's never experienced something like this, He doesn't know. He like he the fact that these things are happening simultaneously on screen, trading back responsibilities, the variation of gameplay, which he really can't appreciate in the way that perhaps we can with just what goes into having to do something like that, Everything working relatively flawlessly right, feeling good.
Speaker 5: Like with roadblocks, right, where almost nothing is deliberate. Everything that's deliberate.
Speaker 3: Roadblocks has officially been banned in New Jersey.
Speaker 1: Sold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's what we told them. But it's it's our house for sure. We just were done with that ship. We're just done.
Speaker 1: What is that? Someone who doesn't really know roadblocks? What is the like? Is it just is it bad transactions?
Speaker 3: Or yeah, it's like predatory and fucking weird, and it's a it's a it's a marketplace for like deviant uh like dark pattern behavior, oh Jesus. And it preys on you know, a sort of like slot machine mentality for little kids. And I can't really, I can't really come up with one redeeming factor about the entirety of roadblocks. Maybe it teaches some math with like having to figure out how much you have to spend on something forte though yeah, and well yeah before you know fortnite is it is not predatory as much as roadblocks is experiences. I mean it's roadblo is just it just seems like an accident, is Yeah. So so that's the sort of quick digest on that. But split fiction, Uh, yeah, like truly has like changed it is. It's like consuming it. Like we played one session three and a half hours. Yeah, we just we couldn't stop. We just you know, And and the story is pretty good and or at least accessible enough for him. I'm not a huge obviously, it's not super cerebral. There's not a lot there. It's the weakest part of the game for sure. But for him, like he gets it. He understands what's happening, you know, and it's it's like it's like almost violent, you know. It's like it's like just not violent enough, but also enough action to really like capture him.
Speaker 4: Did he sell it when the there's that kind of funny turn at the end of the pig sequence.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: That he he like couldn't unders like that's the I'm glad you brought that up. I almost forgot about it. He he like couldn't understand the sense of he was like, how is this game like funny? Like I've never had something trying. Yeah, he was just like, oh my.
Speaker 1: God, we're hot dogs.
Speaker 3: Like he just he just could but like think about it, right, like if you've never had the taste of that European chocolate.
Speaker 2: You don't know, well, I.
Speaker 3: Guess if it's it's just crazy and like it and like, you know, Stacey has been watching us playing. She's you know, we've gotten a lot of like pops from her too, like all around tremendous, what a tremendous game surprise, like even surprising where you're like, all right, you know we're gonna have like a and it takes two with a different sort of theme, different kind of trappings. But no, there's just something bigger and better and just wildly over the top of this thing.
Speaker 5: It's a bit more uncharted asking about in terms of game polay, but just in terms of that constant set piece pacing of it, right, which is what makes it kind of exhilarating. And I like the it takes two a lot. In some ways there is something too, perhaps say it's more methodical, a bit more puzzle focused. This is maybe a bit more set piece in action focus. Still plenty of puzzles and things like that, but it is just a game that you never stop playing because you're tired of it for a bit, because why I gotta do something else now, like go to sleep or gug. You know, you'll go make dinner or something. It's a hard game to put that, especially like once you go through the trouble, like getting that person there, we're gonna play through it. You just want to buckle in and enjoy that ride for as long as possible.
Speaker 4: And no one is doing this as popular as co op play has always been, going back to like early arcades and ness and stuff, like, no one has made it their whole like kind of mission statement as a studio to like this is our thing, this is our bread and butter, and they have gone so hard on it, and it's like it's almost shocking no one did this before. But I'm so glad that they're doing it, and they're doing it at such a high level because like really they they do it like no one else.
Speaker 3: Well, it's also like the fact that they had the advice or consult or whatever it is that they you know, allowed it to be playable with two people with one person owning it.
Speaker 1: That's like so smart.
Speaker 3: That's a huge part of this that I feel like is under discussed in a in a significant way. Yeah, like even you know that there's like an arena side story seeing where you're like passing around this bomb and the amount of like shouting and and group worked in a tann of way that you have to do is like so involved the title okay, like sport it was it was like playing a sport like it was absolutely exhilarating, like.
Speaker 5: The credibly engaging. It's one of the most video games you can play.
Speaker 3: Yes, holy shit.
Speaker 2: I like when I'm trying to think of like co op experiences that have really hit big, it's probably split fiction a little bit of it takes two but the only thing that comes close to that.
Speaker 5: I was like, all right, Dan, are you gonna make the cook he's a crew jump or a by I gotta give you a moment here.
Speaker 2: It's it's something like overcooked, because like overcooked, you you have that same like uh thing where like all right, you have to do this to help me, and then I have to do this to help all of us, and we have to navigate this weird world we're going in or like moving out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh yeah whatever. Play it been Yes, yes, familiar, I have them forever.
Speaker 5: It's like a two D co op thing where like you're just too kind of non the script dudes, and one is slightly taller than the other. You can jump on each other and you just that's basically it Like the entire games world and puzzles are around this fact that you kind of sometimes you need to jump on top of each other and whatnot. It's a it's a pretty fun time.
Speaker 1: Anyone play. Yeah, I love that's a good co op one.
Speaker 2: I was like, I also like snipper Clips. I think grub is a fan of as well. Yeah, do y'all think since you know, uh a split fiction is doing pretty well in terms of sales, do you think we're going to see like a triple a copycat of sorts.
Speaker 5: Maybe, like maybe like from net ease or something, although they've been pulling back right like yeah, like who's that company is making that Horizon clone? Somebody like that, Oh, she's gonna make something. I don't think shameless.
Speaker 3: I think that's a fair question. I think there's I think there's room in the market for it for sure. So I also think the bar is very high, right.
Speaker 5: The problem is they're almost so good at it that it's like, what do we have to offer to this space, except like, I guess we're just another one of them, especially if you know he he's like just gonna keep making these and parties kind of like, I hope that they do. So you're like, well, we're gonna release one in like maybe the three year gap between these, and hope people care about that too. Maybe maybe that works.
Speaker 4: But the thing is, it's like, as much as the story stuff doesn't really land, and it's just the writing seems a little little pedestrian, it's like the game does have so much heart to it just as a game, like you can tell this is made by creative people and a million fun ideas were thrown into this, even if the story itself isn't really hitting, Like there's just so many ideas in the gameplay.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about the two main characters?
Speaker 1: They're very obvious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't want to try to choose my words here. I feel like they're both like equally annoying in their own right.
Speaker 1: You don't like that the women women? Oh yeah, you was saying it's woke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just imagine if they were like wrestlers, like you.
Speaker 2: Know, a tag team, it makes sense. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, Like I think they like they're just like both perfectly annoying to each other, you know, like they're like like the venn diagrams like split right in the center. They're just like perfectly annoying and to each other in a way where I'm just like I did.
Speaker 5: Roll my eyes when it was the whole, like I love the city because the country is boring. It's like, well, I think the country's bearing. The city is just too gosh darn loud. Like I get it, they're supposed to be opposites.
Speaker 1: I don't want to hang out with either of them.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean the science fiction writer at the very beginning, when there was like small talk on an elevator for ten seconds, she had a doors like I don't really do small talk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, you're a jerk.
Speaker 3: She seems unrealistically like stand offish.
Speaker 5: Unrealistically stand offish, Like even like three hours in, I'm like, I feel like these two a bit enough that the bonding should start. Now you're like still at each other's throats, like there should be some cuming together here.
Speaker 2: So it's just like such a funny part of this.
Speaker 5: This amazing game good, it's so good, Like what's about how AI sucks? I like that about the story.
Speaker 2: So that's yeah, I uh, I'm thinking of like what game i'd like to see this and like, you know, you have your co op shooters. I was thinking like, oh, co op Uncharted would be cool, but it wouldn't do enough that split fiction is doing.
Speaker 5: We already had that. They made that Star Trek co op shooter gay that I'm the only person who liked.
Speaker 1: Oh right, it was like you is adjacent? Yeah, all right?
Speaker 2: Speaking about one co op game to kind of one Monster Hunter Wilds, I've been spending some more time in this. Jimmy jam Dan, you inspired me. I did yes by you saying you picked up the insect glave. I also picked up.
Speaker 1: I complained about it. I complained about the insect clave. Why did you do that?
Speaker 2: Because I remember having an okay time with it during Monster Hunter Worlds and then like I was just thinking, like, okay, I know this game works now, like I understand a combo here and there kinsects. Sure, that's the thing I've I kind of get and playing this game with an insect glave it becomes a completely different game because I'm just used to hammering away and just like pressing a button and like, look I hurt the monster. But with the insect glave kind of having to manage a bit more and then it becomes full anime because of like the verticality that it introduces. And then I just love just being like a Tasmanian devil and just going like carving down. It's like back with it. Also, because I've only ever used a hammer, I can never cut off monster parts. I kind of have to depend on my pala coo to do it, and sometimes it doesn't do it. Most of the time it doesn't do it. So having a blade turns out helps for cutting things.
Speaker 1: You're just way more mobile now than with the hammer.
Speaker 2: Way more mobile, like I can jump around. I feel like, sorry to throw an anime around there, like an attack on Titan character.
Speaker 5: I understand that reference a little bit.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'm an animated I know, I only it's yeah, it's fine.
Speaker 5: There are you still in the midst of the story campaign, Jan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm still in the story. I'm gonna say this. I haven't been paying attention to Squat.
Speaker 5: Well not much to pay attention to. I'm like towards the end of the story, and I am feeling relieved, Like the story I thought started off pretty terrible. Then there's a middle section there. I was like, okay, mare I can get into it now. I'm at the tail end of it again, and I'm just so ready for it to be done. So much of it focuses on that snot nosed, brat kid that I just find hopelessly annoying. Like, I'm not always anti the kids are annoying. I don't like kid characters, but this one is just very annoying and wide eyed and always on the verge of tears or something. And everybody's treating this kid like an adult and bringing him along even though he can't fight. I'm like, lead the kid back. The kid doesn't think, why is the kid here? It's a child?
Speaker 1: Every Dark movies like why are their kids here? Almost most Disney movies though, Mike. But yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Said, I just said, I'm not always against the kid thing.
Speaker 2: It's usually fine.
Speaker 5: Fine, this kid's fucking annoying. I don't like him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh not. A is not my favorite character, and I also have a tolerance for pluck sometimes.
Speaker 1: Mike.
Speaker 2: Are you said you're relieved at almost finishing the story.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm glad that the story is almost so. For second, just fight monsters. I love fighting monsters, and that's great. It's sometimes in the story. You get to fight monsters, and that's fantastic, But there are some stretches where it's just characters kind of walking talking about things. And I don't know. I think I saw a quote from the one of the Muster guys who's like, oh, one of the reasons why our audience expanded so much is because we focus more on story. I don't I don't believe that. I don't think that's why. I think a lot of other changes happened that got people on board. I don't know if these ten hour story based campaigns are doing a ton Maybe they are, right. People do like to have characters. I like to latch all the things. Sure, there are some characters here. They're fund up though. That what the wub wubb who talks eloquently, what is his name? I like him. He's a nice guy. He's a mix between Stitch and an Walk but with the personality of that one mouse night from the Chronicles of.
Speaker 2: Narnia and an ass that won't quit and then ask.
Speaker 5: That won't quit, Barge, you got to ask that won't quit?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: There's Jema, and everybody likes Gemma, but otherwise a lot of people that I'm tired of hearing.
Speaker 1: Talk I do like the Hammer lady in Uh, yeah, Sty.
Speaker 5: She's fine. I can't remember naming Claire, Is that right?
Speaker 1: I don't remember either?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, Mike, have you have you tried co op at all?
Speaker 1: Or fire had?
Speaker 5: My brother, a Christian uh who's played on this site a bit has has has jumped in to help me here and there too, So yeah, it's it's it is fun when you're playing with people, for sure, And that's why, you know, that's why I want to just get to the part where I am just going out and constantly fighting monsters and constantly you know, grouped up with people. Because even right now they're playing, they're they're joining in when I'm fighting, but a lot of times that means that they're waiting for me to progress through cutscenes so then they can join my next fight.
Speaker 1: So so forth back, are you were going to say something?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm trying to wrap my head around like the takeaway that I feel like I'm I'm I'm hearing from a lot of people that.
Speaker 2: It's just kind of fine.
Speaker 5: It's it's weird because like every time it happens, almost every time I start talking about it, where I seem like negative on it, but there's a lot about it that is very good. Like when you fight monsters that rules, that is amazing. It feels so good. The monsters look so good. They are just these moments that happen are amazingly. Like, you know, I was fighting this one kind of dragon thing Rathlos and can brief fire and I could block it with my My sword is so big, it's also a shield that I was bringing fire and I block it and like in that moment, the camera kind of like like zoomed in on me a bit, and it's just this really cinematic, cool looking thing of this fire just completely like spreading across me as I'm like bracing against it, and then that happens. And if I, you know, time this kind of upwards being just right, I can get the monster off kilter and I could jump on him, and oh the fighting feels fantastic. But there are just so many obvious problems to talk about. We even talked about the performance, which is still you know issue, like the game just looks like butt on my computer, right, it does not look very good.
Speaker 4: Is it still a massive pain in the ass to actually get co op going on this.
Speaker 5: It's like, I think I've got it figured out. Mostly it's just there. Wordage is very bad, right, It shouldn't be like this series that has been known for co op for a long time. The fact that you're like, I think I've got to figure it out is insane. It should just be like join a game, host a game, like I don't even World is the one I liked. It was just like every single time it's like, wait, okay, so you haven't seen that cut scene, so we can't join up yet.
Speaker 1: It's just it sucks.
Speaker 5: A confusing thing for at least initially, is that like there's different kinds of parties, at least two of them, and it's like, what's the party so that we could fight monsters together because there's like link party, and then there's you know, guilt and some other things. So it's still a little confusing. You can get you can get I can get over it a little bit. But yeah, I'm a little I'm a little surprised we haven't made us a bit more elegant. I I wonder if that process is easier after everyone you're trying to play with has completed the story. Mike, like you said, because then, uh, even when we tried checking it out, like two weeks ago, Sean and Christian were waiting for Grub and I to progress through the story so they could join for those specific hunts, and then I don't think there were Maybe there was one mission where Grub and I were able to sync with each other because we were in a similar part of the story. But I don't want to any of the negativity to take away from like fantastic set pieces in the game. There are moments where I do feel like a super cool badass, even when I summon the AI hunters to to help out, like the story hunters or whatever, and there they wind up using weapons I would never use, Like one of them always brings like not the small gun but the long gun large, and then he just like peppering the monster with like a million bullets, and then I try and like use that weapon.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I'm like, all right, this, I have no fucking clue how this works. It's great, I'm having a good time. I do want to keep playing through it more, and I don't know, I'd like to play with you all more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, we should all do some hunts. I can jump in there and help you with some of these story hunts that you're working your waist through for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, if anything, I should try and finish the story, get that out of the way, and then we can just pick and choose.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it'll be exactly. It'll think it will be a lot easier for us to make contentable fun at that point.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite monsters, early, early, early in the game is the monkey that farts, Dan, have you seen that one? I have not.
Speaker 5: No, Oh, you love the farting monkey.
Speaker 1: Sounds solid.
Speaker 2: We love the farting monkey. Speaking about monkeys, Mike Minatti, you've been playing Donkey Kong ninety four.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So on Friday, kind of ahead of Mario Day, Nintendo dropped two new game Boy games to Nso Donkey Kong ninety four just called Donkey Kong, but we say ninety four to differentiate it from you know, Donkey Kong the K game and Mario's Pitcross. And this might be the best drop of NFL games we have ever gotten. You've said that before, No, these are good ones. Yeah, this stuff is so good. Like I was playing through some long jerpyg tales of graces zephyry Mas there I have completely stopped for now because I am just playing Mario's Big Cross Donkey Kong ninety four. Donkey Kong ninety four I have played before, and it was already just one of my favorite games. It is so good. Like the whole kind of gimmick here is that at first, it just seems like, oh, they ported Donkey Kong, the our gay game to the game boy. You play through all those levels, and then once you do, it just keeps going. You slowly realize like, oh, I have like interesting moves I can do here. I have the side jump, and this is before Mario sixty four. This is the first time you have that Mario side jump. You can do like the backflip into a backflip jump. So then it becomes this kind of puzzle platforming thing. Or in each level there's a key, there's a door, Gotta get the key, and gotta get the key to the door, and they're all like basically like one one screen ish long. Some are, you know, bigger, they scroll up, they scroll to the right, but they're all relatively small levels, but there's a ton of them. And then after every three levels you have some kind of Donkey Kong boss fight and some of them are more like spins on the original Donkey Kong formula again of just get up to the platform and avoid the stuff he's doing. Some of them become more like Donkey Kong Junior, where you have the vines and everything like that. Then other ones are this new thing where it's more of a boss fight where he's throwing barrels and you have to grab the barrels and then throw them at him. It is just so well done, perfectly executed. Probably the best puzzle platformer ever. I would have to think up on that. Oh, definitely, it's the best game Boy game. It is the best game for the original game Boy. Play it before, but even now, just can't stop continuing to play my way through it again.
Speaker 4: I agree, And I had not played it until it came out of like the three DS camera was the Virtual console or the Ambassador program or whatever. But yeah, so I played it probably twenty years efter came well, it came out in ninety four, so whatever that is, it's it's awesome. It holds up great. I played through like when I got the Analog Pocket. That was the first game I played through on it. It was just like, oh, man, this game is just kicks ass holds up great, and that's removed from the usual Nintendo nostalgia I have because I didn't play it back in the day.
Speaker 1: So uh yeah, I'm with you on that mic.
Speaker 4: And then also you discovering pacrosse that that it feels good to me.
Speaker 5: Well, it's because Jeff has always talked about how much he loves pitcross when I'm doing shows you talked about before, and I would I swear I've tried a couple of times, and for some reason, I didn't get it, and I don't know why, because this time I just like watched the little tutorial and it's like, you know, a minute long and it explains it perfectly. I don't know why, but this time I just absorbed in the information and it was off to the races. It was like, oh, I understand this. People don't know. It's, you know, this kind of grid based puzzle thing.
Speaker 2: For people that don't know pacross. People you ever heard of.
Speaker 5: Pit cross, guys, But I'm gonna I'm gonna lay it down for you here.
Speaker 3: Teach us teach us.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, It's like there's like numbers on the top and to the left of this grid that kind of gives you an indication of where the bucks are. It's like mind sweeper but better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's Sudoku for idiots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who loves both?
Speaker 1: At a high level, they both are a lot of puzzling out at.
Speaker 3: A high level. You fucking whatever do you mean?
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: At a high level, like the.
Speaker 1: Super hard versions, like beating every fucking Pacross three D thing, like you know, without anything.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Puzzles are like my thing, Like I can absolutely business.
Speaker 3: I know when I think logic puzzles, I think of you. I think I went through like a percross like year in like twenty ten for sure, So I understand where you're come from. I just want to make this a doka joke.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I've got a precross lifestyle. It's not across.
Speaker 3: Becrouse defines who I am as a person.
Speaker 4: But Mike, across three D that's the next step for you. Oh you put it on your phone? Scary, No, it's that's awesome.
Speaker 1: You're like chiseling away at a block and it's like, oh, it's starting to look like a three D e Swan or something. It is, So it's exact same concept it's just like you're just doing it and like it's three. That's it.
Speaker 5: It's okay, Yeah, there's a whole world of pitcross open up to me. It's so satisfying. Like trying to figure out what the picture is. It's kind of funny on the Game Boy because you know, it's like solo detail, Like at the end, I'm like, what is that? Then they're like it's a swan. I'm like, okay, if you say so, gay boy. But just like fingering out things on my own, like okay, like if if if one of the roads says there's nine that need to be blocked out, there's only fifteen, then I know I can at least chisel it out that middle one because there has to be one of them. Do you Like, there's all these kind of like systems you build up in your mind like that that kind of help you get through it. And sometimes it looks hopeless because like in the beginning, you get some freepie's like, oh, the very bottom row is fifteen, that's all filled in. You know, that's all filled in. Then you kind of work your way from the bottom to the top. Then the other one's like, oh, I don't even know where to start, and then it just slowly all comes together and every you know, you have thirty misses to do it, and if you miss mess up, you lose time on the clock and that exponential, right, So you mess up like three times, you're starting to lose a lot of time. So it gets risk to just guess. But every once in a while, if I am stuck and I'm like, well, if I was to guess this one, right, that was just no, you don't guess, never guess. Oh, it's the thrill of the guest every time. Sometimes it ruins everything, but sometimes it really gets that ball rolling.
Speaker 4: The best feeling is when it's just like you've been staring at a thing and going line by line for like fifteen minutes. I can't see where a single thing is that I can confidently put down, And then you just have one and all the Domino's falls like yeah, oh and this and that's and that and that's this.
Speaker 5: You're done. Oh I fucking love the cross. Yep, So gosh, it's it's been fun. It's funny because like call it Mario's pitcross is still generous. Every once in a while, the thing you get is like a goomba, but even still just that little bit of Mario flavor. But I appreciate that he's here.
Speaker 2: Speaking about discovering games that have been around for a while. This is this is not a cry for help. I'm complet deletely fine. Today is March eleventh, twenty twenty five. I don't have a newspaper to show you the date. I'm not being held against my will. But I may have downloaded Magic the Gathering arena over the weekend. Oh, that's fine. And I may have also purchased some some cars as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's okay.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I'm having a pleasant time learning about Magic the Gathering. Maybe I'm liking it because they've decided to just become Fortnite and throw every possible ip at the wall.
Speaker 5: Got the spots parts car, didn't you?
Speaker 2: I don't have them yet. I don't think they're available yet. But if they do become available by me, I will a five thousand percent by it because I love memes and SpongeBob.
Speaker 1: Dan. You you look upset. I am why just I expect more from jam Oh.
Speaker 3: If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black, what is the problem?
Speaker 1: Not a nerd.
Speaker 3: That is your tagline. I can't take that away from you.
Speaker 4: Didn't you You thought you were picking up magic cards yesterday and wound up being potatoes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I got locked out of my apartment building.
Speaker 4: Yeah, while you were locked out, we were talking about it, and I posited that potatoes are better than magic the Gathering, and I do think I had some support. I had a potato last night, and while I was eating the potato, I was like, I'm so glad I'm into this and not magic.
Speaker 3: Wait, potato just like eating potatoes, a shoot potato, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like a chip a fry.
Speaker 3: However, I roasted them. But yeah, is better than magic the Gathering the card game.
Speaker 1: Do you agree?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Pole, It's just a weird thing to compare as all.
Speaker 1: Your potatoes aren't nerdy.
Speaker 5: I mean most people see some of us don't care if things are nerdy or I don't either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know everyone knows that I might be a huge nerd might be how dare you even? I know?
Speaker 5: But boy, I still get worse up every time you talk about Lord of the Rings.
Speaker 1: But you're the only one. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, everyone agrees Lord of the Rings is dogship, but.
Speaker 2: I feel like.
Speaker 1: Your opinions are good.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing. Here's the thing. I think it's funny. I get the comparison is funny in itself, But I'm also coming from a place where I'm like, hey, I don't really know magic the Gathering, Like I know all what it is. I know, but I don't. I've never like allowed it to uh wash over me. Uh, And I suspect maybe I would like it if I allowed such.
Speaker 2: A thing to happen.
Speaker 1: It's probably really fun.
Speaker 2: It's probably good, right, it's good.
Speaker 4: I probably would get right, I would get irresponsibly into it if I allowed myself to Sure, Yeah.
Speaker 3: So so Jan, the level of which you've decided to allow it to wash over you? Is it a safe amount so far?
Speaker 2: Yes, I've only bought like one starter deck that another friend recommended are Our dear friend Matthew Rory also said that he would help guide me through the process as well. Jason Finelli has also offered his guidance John Carson's Magic. That's Carson's a freak as well. And let me tell y'all, for anyone that has ever been magic curious, Magic the Gathering Arena has a fantastic tutorial to run you through the process completely free. You can't spend money, I believe to to get certain card packs. But if you're looking to learn how to play the game, and you're a little too shy to go to your local card shop or for local card shop doesn't exist, then you get one hundred percent learn through that.
Speaker 1: It's it's because they're fucking dropping this Avatar the Last Airbender deck in a couple months.
Speaker 2: That's fine, I need it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm I'm waiting for that final Fantasy stuff to come out, which I've already pre ordered a couple of those packs. So what's that happens? The thing is, obviously I want to collect the real cards, that's better. But when I actually want to play Badge it together, it is a much better experience for me to play Arena and yeah, you know tapping cards. Who can get their head around that right when I'm supposed to tap and when they get untapped, And there's like fIF there's like twenty five or more verbs on the cars that all do different things too. When it's the video game, you just hover over the thing and it tells me to do and then it also just does it for you anyways.
Speaker 2: And you know what. You know, our dear friends over at kind of Funny. They've also been getting into Magic Blessing and snowbike mic and I thought, like, you know, if I were to get into magic, maybe I could pop over to the kind of Funny Studio. They come over to SF Studio and we have ourselves a little game. Perhaps we could do a draft. I know Jake Decker bought a Lord of the Ring box that we were supposed to do a draft with, but that uh timing never worked out, So maybe we can wind up doing that again. Perhaps. Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, snow bikel doesn't always come off as like a big nerd.
Speaker 5: I mean he's also a game for anything, right, Yeah, yeah, he'll try.
Speaker 1: What do you think, Dan, what's your read on snow bike Mic? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I don't think MT.
Speaker 5: I don't think you.
Speaker 1: Even know what a snow bike is or how to use it. Ambient nerd, right, that's what I'm saying. It sounds like like an outdoorsman.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but I think Mike's right. He just has that like DTF quality to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: He played King of Hearts and liked it, right, which I respect him.
Speaker 3: That's cool. I like Snowbikeael listen, just tell me mm hmm you think this will replace any of your other habits?
Speaker 2: Which, okay, I have a bunch of habits. Which habits are we talk the new one? No? So I I positive this to it to to blue sky and then what Nicki Grayson? Let me let me go try and find their reply. Okay, but but but speculate amongst yourselves. Yeah, it's about walking. Maybe you shouldn't do that.
Speaker 1: That's good for you.
Speaker 4: I am thinking, you know, I sometimes see elements of myself or my father and myself. And he started smoking at forty, so I got a few months left to get into smoking. I want to follow his footsteps. Okay, Dan, you should not get into smoking. But Nicki Grayson replied to me when I was seeking advice how to get into magic?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: And then in another skeet, have you heard of cigarettes? It's pretty good, Nikki. So you know it's it's which which is the worst one to Perhaps I'm gonna say any hesitation smoking? Yeah, okay, Well I'm almost out of the Japanese ones, all right, and then those run out. I can't get cool menthols here in California because of Gavin Newsom and now he's starting a podcast sleazy fuck. I can't believe it to be in office.
Speaker 5: I didn't have to cool off of uh the Lacana cards a little bit. It was like, man impending a lot of money on this game that I don't I don't really play this game very often. People don't remember where Kana was the Disney matchic to Ketch.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, we all remember.
Speaker 5: We remember. I got all these cards, and I'm like running out of places to a put them. It's like it's like a I can't buying it, mostly for just the dopam rush of opening though, and then after that I'm stuck with these things. I'm like, well, what do I do with it now?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: No, like I mean, yeah, I never took you for someone who's playing Lorcana.
Speaker 2: I was just like, oh, yeah, I think we always there's the great lie back of are the great lie is that we're going to play more?
Speaker 3: Yeah, one day I'm gonna play.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, everyone buys up Pokemon cards looking for like, you know, the arts of the full arts. They're looking for all the stuff they want.
Speaker 1: Well okay, no, so.
Speaker 2: So Sean asks, how come I haven't like partied up with him and gone into Pokemon TCG. And it's because buying the physical shoot cards now it's not impossible, but it's just there's so many fucking people out there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you get trampled in a costco.
Speaker 2: Right exactly. Uh, backler, I don't know if you've seen these at your local grocery stores, but in the same way that they have like the kiosks with like that you can buy a lot of tickets or scratch offs at Yeah, they have Pokemon card ones.
Speaker 1: Oh what are we doing?
Speaker 3: Why are we not regulating that?
Speaker 2: Exactly? And then I saw two fellas like just standing next to one just like I don't know what they were trying to do staring at this machine, because I've seen people like they'll weigh packs, right, yeah, like with a scale, but you can't do that with a fucking vending machine. They're trying to eyeball it out, like what's happening.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they're.
Speaker 2: Trying to like hack into the mainframe or whatever or try and like input some type of code for it to just vomit out cards, but they were trying to do some underhanded stuff there. But yeah, because of the state of the scene of Pokemon TCG. That's why. And magic cards generally are available everywhere I go.
Speaker 3: Right, people are they don't seem as freakish with the Pokemon stuff. I just had a visual that I want to talk about out loud, Like remember those old cigarette machines with those little plungers I used to plate the let's just let's just put Pokemon cards in that jan You look puzzled because you're probably too young to know what that looks like.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, what a plunger?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like a plunger you would pull out, you know, like a pinball plunger.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, like those sticker machines.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, because I remember.
Speaker 4: When I was growing up, my mom was a Chili's waitress. I used to go seere there and there'd be the whole like half the restaurant was a smoking section, and I had those things. It's like, yeah, just buy your cigarettes and Chili's and eat your chicken tenders.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Man, those are like like obviously smoking horrific, But like those machines are cool in a vacuum, like that machine is cool.
Speaker 2: Nobody, no one on this podcast be offended by this. Have y'all ever been on an airplane where smoking was allowed? No, No, not a planet.
Speaker 1: I've been on planes that have ashtray things, yes, yeah.
Speaker 5: Like carryovers, but no, it might happen. I was really young, but I don't remember people smoking on an airplane I was on.
Speaker 4: I distinctly remember, like, you know, going to restaurants and like them being like, oh, you know, we don't have anything available. We have a couple in the smoking section, and like having to do that and be like, oh wow, this.
Speaker 1: I remember the smoker here having a smoking section, separate room, and it was far old, old enough to drink. And then there would be like super smoky bars like the Red Balloon, my main bar where my parents met. Like you go in there for night at the Red Balloon, and you come out and like, those clothes are not just going to shrink for a week, but you put them in a hamper and it just seeps into everything else.
Speaker 5: That's just how the world smells like a good while there.
Speaker 3: I'm filled with so much regret now.
Speaker 1: I just just.
Speaker 3: Like going to shows in the nineties, just going on like punk rock shows and like coming back and you just smell the way you smell and You're.
Speaker 2: Just like, throw me in the trash.
Speaker 1: This isn't going to help the narc accusations against me.
Speaker 4: But when I was probably nineteen twenty, I went to a Parliament Funkadelic show and.
Speaker 3: You said that in the man I'm the coworker. I cannot believe the way you just say Parliament.
Speaker 1: Date with p Funk and Saint Louis. I've gone to shows. I know George Clinton. He probably doesn't remember me, but it is all to say.
Speaker 4: One of the first times I saw p Funk, there were people in front of me that I was like, what is that smelling?
Speaker 1: Asked my friend Charles, like, I think that's weed.
Speaker 4: And I was so concerned about someone smoking weed at a p Funk concert. I thought, oh no, I hope I don't get high. And also should I talk to someone about this? Should I alert security? At a p Funk concert the entire band is on acid?
Speaker 3: Cop, you're such a cop?
Speaker 1: Try?
Speaker 3: Yeah, how did you find yourself at that show?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: That's my point.
Speaker 3: My point is you found yourself in a spot where you actively went to the show but still had those like narc ass cop nuances.
Speaker 1: It was a weird tendencies.
Speaker 4: It was a weird confluence of me being open minded and liking like weird like funk music and stuff, and also me growing up in Kansas with very afraid of weed stuff.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like the arsonist that grows up to be a fireman. I don't understand.
Speaker 4: Good now, all right, we're cop Now have shelter tonight in place?
Speaker 1: Slip fiction with my wife? Does that?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Watch some Severance.
Speaker 2: We cannot get into the Severance talk today.
Speaker 1: No, we're episodes and I don't know what people are talking about.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we're like chill chill. We didn't even make it through episode one because my wife falls asleep. Now this is where I'm at in my life.
Speaker 5: I had a good time drinking yesterday, but there was a certain plain I just got sad. I'm like, I get like, like when I'm back alone in my house after drinking, I'm like, I'm just like sad. Now becoming a sad drunk weed instead.
Speaker 2: I don't know, ye, I think you should be doing weed.
Speaker 1: We will make you anxious. I've definitely never been sad.
Speaker 3: Alcohol is depressing. What are we talking about?
Speaker 2: While drunk's summer birthday? We are hot boxing a car Who's summer birthday, Jeff summer birthday?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, it might be during my shoot birthday too. We're hot boxing a bad wait.
Speaker 3: Honestly, Manat's like stoned arc is like well overdue.
Speaker 1: Would be crazy. Don't like it.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing, Mike.
Speaker 3: Like alcohol, it's alcohol's rough, Bud.
Speaker 5: I'm probably just gonna drink less and also not two weeks. Still, that's fine. I could be sober, That's okay, look at me, I'm fine. I got all these video games and Mickey Mouse's al tay.
Speaker 3: Okay, I bet you'd I bet you would see I bet stone Manati. Okay, I'm just putting this out there. Even though we will never be illegal, never be legal in Florida for as long as you we are all collectively alive, going to Disneyland, Stoned World, whatever is in Florida, you might that might change shit for you, Bud.
Speaker 5: I might go to Florida this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing. Someone says, I've got to figure it after.
Speaker 5: This if I'm gonna make that trip happen.
Speaker 2: I thought. Okay, anyway, we're all gonna take a collective suff break to just decompress, air out our clothes. You don't have to sit in the smoker section, but you can go wait for a table and we'll be right back with the news.
Speaker 1: Breaking news. Jeff Backlar has a thing. It's a funny thing.
Speaker 2: Hit Us showed my kid booger Man.
Speaker 1: Oh hell yeah, you want to say you're a good dad. I mean, hell yeah, another great game. Finally kid's gonna get some culture.
Speaker 3: He was, I forget what it was, Oh because of the pigs in split fiction and farting the rainbow. Yeah, And he's like, Dad, imagine a game where like all you do is fart what and throw boogers?
Speaker 1: Although boogers are a finite resource.
Speaker 2: Finite of course you get the chilli.
Speaker 3: I show him gameplay of booger Man, and he's just like I couldn't tell if he thought it was funny or if he was just like, man, am I glad to be born now? Or some or whatever it was, but he did say, he's like, oh, this is just the original skibbitty.
Speaker 5: The look undanser to be clear about scibbity toilet is exactly how the generation than us thought of.
Speaker 1: Booger Man was a real video game.
Speaker 3: Listen, listen, you like you have to put yourself. Well, this should be easy, put yourself in the shoes of a ten year old. I was played Boogerman and just imagine, like what that meant?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Like it came from a good place, sure, and it was also funny. Anyway, Boogerman, we still think about you.
Speaker 1: I just think I.
Speaker 4: Think the first time I heard the word pussy was because of Boogerman. I was reading the instruction manual of Boogerman in the car while my mom was coming out of the grocery store, and she looked at the manual and there was something like Queen Puss or something like the word puss was in there because Boogerman Booger's parts and all that stuff. And my mom's like, what is that? Like, she was like what did I just get?
Speaker 1: Like what is this game?
Speaker 4: And I was like, what do you It says something about pussy in there. I was like, what what does that mean? And no, look at this, it's just about fun booker stuff. And she's like, oh, okay, but she thought it was about something InCred.
Speaker 3: I did not think that's where that was going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's where that went. Yeah.
Speaker 4: She also wouldn't let me rent final Fantasy seven because she thought it was a porn game.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, yeah, Hey, Jeff Beckler, I don't think we've caught you up on this during the voicemail dump truck program, but I just want to ask you, this is Tony Hawk better than all of the Final fantasies?
Speaker 1: Backler?
Speaker 2: You know this? Yes, thank you?
Speaker 1: Of course Backlar thinks that a man of taste.
Speaker 3: To be fair, I've not played a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Fast of course, Mike blow me off like that, you know what, Yes, I'm gonna take it anymore.
Speaker 4: Guarantee the majority opinion would say that Tony is better than.
Speaker 3: Majority opinion is always the best one. Well, I played the newest one, Tony Hawk. No, the final Fantasy won That was LARPing as like Game of Thrones or whatever it was for Like, sure, yeah, that was all right. I'd rather be playing Tony Hawk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you say that about almost any video game. I'd rather be playing Tony Hawk.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, please get me out of here, all right.
Speaker 2: Uh, Jeff job with the news, but he's not here, So Mike manaughty with the news.
Speaker 5: Yes right, Jeff Grubbs got the bug, but don't feel snubbed. I'll give the news a rub.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: He did write all these stories in here for yeah, I'm a I'm a poet and I didn't know it. Uh. Xbox launching partner Gaming Handhold this year. Report claims Microsoft plans to release an Xbox branded handhold device in late twenty twenty five through an oh EM partnership and outside companies producing it. Microsoft is working closely with them on the software integration code named Keenan. I can't wait to see what is co named Kel. The device will resemble.
Speaker 3: Xbox Wait a second, Wait a second, Wait a second, Wait a second, Mike, you are delivering the news like a fucking morning DJ and I cannot handle it.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 3: I like it. It's awesome, though, it's if you're just like putting in these little quiz It's just so sick.
Speaker 1: Keenan, that's interesting.
Speaker 3: Can you do the trafficking weather after this?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: In Honestly, if this thing is co named Keenan, I feel like there's a very good chance that the next like home console is co named Kel. Like they're being funny about.
Speaker 1: Its right now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: The device will resemble Xbox consoles and feature an Xbox Guide button. Is speculated to be PC oriented, running Windows and supporting PC game Past Team and the Microsoft Store. Additionally, Microsoft aims to launch its next gen console in twenty twenty seven. I know, I saw another report saying that that next Xbox console will also basically be a PC. But this kind of you know, Xbox software on top of it. Does this sound like a good direction for Xbox to take to u all? Do you think maybe that handheld PC gaming space is a little spoken for with the Steam Deck and stuff like the Asis rug Alley, do you think Microsoft can still make waves there?
Speaker 2: See? I keep making the statement that I think PC gaming has never been in an easier place for people to get into it, like a Steam deck and the Asis Roger. But even my friends that are a little bit more open to technology will still kind of confine themselves to the console ecosystem. But I bet if those same friends saw an Xbox console that would be able to lay not a bunch of PC games, but open up to like game Pass or maybe you could get Steam running.
Speaker 1: You could probably get an emulator running on.
Speaker 2: These guys too, then they would be more open to it because it has that Xbox branding. I'm more interested in this than another Xbox console.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and they've also been saying like this is a PC with an Xbox like they've been saying there for twenty years. I feel like, right, I mean, in some variation, but yes, you're right. Also presumably right, Microsoft is like there is something that like Microsoft could probably do in the way of like getting Windows to work right on a mobile device in a way that like no one else has really been able to thread that needle.
Speaker 4: I mean, right, I don't like that rock ally X does a pretty good job of that, I think.
Speaker 5: I think it does too, damn. But then I hear a lot of people talk about Windows on the rock ally X like it's the.
Speaker 3: Devil, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I feel like I've heard a lot of people still, I.
Speaker 3: Feel like I've heard enough of two where like the unique fact like there is a thing where like Microsoft could get away with saying like, oh, but no one's gonna do Windows on a handheld like we will be able to do.
Speaker 5: And then I do think at some point Microsoft needs to make a more specific kind of Xbox E or gaming based version of Windows right kind of yeah, a sort of similar but different operating system that is just going to be friendlier for these kinds of devices. We clean the handheld end the next console.
Speaker 4: Wasn't that kind of the plan though, when it's like Windows had that weird pivot where it was just like the when the boxes on the screen that it wasn't the normal start man for like that was for tablets and everything that tries to put that on PC's as well. Briefly before you know, you can always like turn it off. But the phones, the Windows phones, the Xbox even changed its dash at the time to kind of be congruous or that for what it was called.
Speaker 3: They seem extraordinarily fragmented, where like none of their teams are none of their products are really talking to each other in a productive way.
Speaker 1: Like who's done drive? I shut that shit down?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, someone take when one drive out back?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 2: Like what are we doing?
Speaker 3: Stop doing that? Windows.
Speaker 2: The Windows experience.
Speaker 3: Right now is it's like it's pestering, it's annoying you. It's always wanting you to like use shit you don't want to use, leave me alone. Don't be the initiator, right like, don't be proactive. I'm sick of Windows being proactive. Let me do what I want. Stop suggesting shit, Okay, I don't care.
Speaker 1: You know, Clippy is still on the machine.
Speaker 5: Clippy still clippies in the walls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he'll have his revenge one day.
Speaker 5: Clearly, Xbox has lost a lot of ground to PlayStation this generation, and they're kind of just pivoting to being more of a software company anyways. So they still want to produce hardware. I think, perhaps taking a different avenue there, making these things more set basic. Yeah, getting to the handheld space makes sense. PlayStation probably also certainly working on a handheld of their own, So it's gonna be interesting what that all looks like, especially in the world w you know, there is still a switch gonna be a switch to So now you are once again, maybe more directly competing with Nintendo. How does that go?
Speaker 4: It is a lot because I think about it now and it's just like I have so like got the rock ally, the Steam Deck, the switch, the analog that you know for they all have like different little like use cases like I feel like, oh, this one's got the better batteries, so I'll take this on the long flight, or this one is a game Boy game, so I'll play it on this thing, or this one's got better emulation, this one can do Windows. I can do Fortnite on this one without doing any weird shit. Like, I just hope it doesn't get over complicated. It almost feels like remember when it was just like Netflix and Hulu, and then it was everything got fucking complicated. It was great for a little bit there, but it is starting to be a bit much.
Speaker 5: All right, We'll see how that all goes. Heyoko Jama's latest step stranding two trailers here with the confirmed June release. They unveiled the new trailer at south By South of West, confirming a PS five really stated with June twenty six Digital Leuxe and Clutch's editions with Early Excess on June twenty fourth, We're also announced a worldwide def Stranding Strands of Harmony music tour starting in November. Was also revealed. Jan and U, Dan, you watched this with Grubb, you reacted to it. There's a video that.
Speaker 4: I watched it for the reaction that I watched your reaction last night on your stream.
Speaker 5: Look, I tried to react to it, and like I was, I already turned a guess a little bit when I saw the trailer was ten minutes long.
Speaker 4: I was surprised that you were surprised by that. Have you never seen Adeo Kajima trailing?
Speaker 5: Man, I don't know, just ten minutes, that's a little.
Speaker 1: It's Mike.
Speaker 2: I was with you when Dan suggested we should do this, and I thought like, oh, why are we going to take like three four minutes out of the show? And then I saw it was ten minutes, and then increased my apprehension until I started watching.
Speaker 1: You know how many times I watched a twenty seven minute trailer for Meddal Years, allid Twins next in college, Give me all you got of that?
Speaker 5: That's not that's not a trailer anymore.
Speaker 1: That was pretty much every cute in the game.
Speaker 5: But I remember that one. That one was wild. Yeah, so Dan, you liked the trailer, then.
Speaker 2: I liked the trailer. And I followed a similar trajectory to Dan with my experience with Death Strainding where the original when it originally came out, I'm like, what the fuck is this? Why am I Norman retis? And then the director's edition came out or director's cut edition came out, and then.
Speaker 1: I don't know what why? Then I started to get it same.
Speaker 4: Time, because it's not like the director's cut actually really added that much of consequence. It was just we were removed from the expectations of it and the mystery. It's like, and then we just met it on its own terms.
Speaker 2: And right, really fun game because I think I then like detached it from like, oh, this is a strand game. I'm playing with a bunch of people, and now it's like, oh, okay, cool, I'm just walking and and and Norman Reatis is occasionally grunting and this is interesting. Yeah, yeah, it is okay, cool, I fell down a hill. That's funny. My pizza box is now on the fucking floor.
Speaker 5: I have not had that turnaround with that trending yet. Maybe I need to go back to the original. This STROWU to me, was mostly just a series of incomprehensible images and words I have to.
Speaker 1: Do this, okay.
Speaker 2: And I think it's hitting me specifically at a fantastic point because I just watched like all of David Lynch's films sharing the past, so like seeing this and like, oh no, yeah, that all makes sense.
Speaker 4: You asked this, Jan, I think you're the qualified person on this podcast. I answer this what is more incomprehensible death stranding or Kingdom Hearts.
Speaker 1: Kingdom Hearts okay, well, I mean I don't necessarily disagree with that, Okay, but you'll complain about the death stranding part.
Speaker 5: Kingaharts is fun to play, and.
Speaker 1: You know, Duck said, I will say, with Donald Duck and guest Randing, Donald Duck or Normans come on the pole. I have no feelings about.
Speaker 2: Mike. I'll go Donald Duck on that one.
Speaker 5: But thank you, thank you. I appreciate it. Kind of there's something there that's a similar energy. I'm not gonna know what it is.
Speaker 1: They or something.
Speaker 5: So yeah, hey, that's coming out this June. That's a big game for people to look forward to.
Speaker 3: And specifically because I'm pretty sure I have it in Fantasy Critic, then good luck.
Speaker 5: Let's that Donald Duck destroying Norman Retas in this poll very.
Speaker 2: I mean, Norman Reata is just come on.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to go to bad for Norman? Really? Who will?
Speaker 4: Besides maybe the only I've only seen him in dest Randing, and it's I like it not because of him necessarily.
Speaker 1: The Walking Dead franchise will go to bad for Norman Retis.
Speaker 5: Uh, Yesterday was Mario Day, but it was also the thirtieth anniversary of Krono Trigger the I on JPG. Squarenex is promising commemorative projects, but it's announced various projects to celebrate sugar thirty anniversary. What the projects are is not clear, but they could include a new game, merchandise, or new releases re releases. Fans have long requests at a remake, but outside of ports, the game has not been revisited as frequently as Final Fantasy for Sugar, released in nineteen ninety five for the snees, was developed by a dream team her and Nubusakagucci usually Hori and a Kiratriyama. When the Cronacross sequel came out nineteen eighty nine, a remake of that came out in twenty twenty two. So yeah, you know, credl Trigger is super beloved. They've never done a lot with it, and it sure seems like at least a new version of the original Crow Sugar is due. That is a game that you cannot play on modern platforms. There's they had a bad mobile version and they ported that over to Steam, so it's on Steam.
Speaker 4: The asport was so good got me into a classic JRPG. I think it's the best JRPG I've ever played. That d S one's awesome.
Speaker 5: I think I think for most people it's it's for a lot of people it's the best APG they ever played, because it kind of is just the best JRPG. It's a beautiful as incredible music, great character is a fun battle system.
Speaker 1: It's paced very well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's actually a lot shorter than a lot of other JRPGs, and that works to its benefits. So yeah, every you know in it. If if you don't think you like JRPGs, this is still the one that you should try. And I hope they do something to to re release it again. I don't know if I need the whole HD two D treatment for this game. May maybe I'm a bit of a purist there, but just some way to present it to a new audience.
Speaker 2: I wonder if they haven't tried to go back to Chrono Trigger, because it kind of was that perfect storm of all the elements firing off and the right people in the right time and place in their careers for this game to pop off the way it did. I will say I think Crona Trigger is better than Tony Hawk pro Skater five.
Speaker 1: I will thank Jan you know what, Jan, Yeah, that's fair. Yes, okay, there we go very big of all of you. It's better than Project Date. Wow. Whoa, whoa.
Speaker 3: There's actually a soft spot for Project Date in my heart.
Speaker 1: And it's a good game. But I think Trigger is a great game.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, I yeah, So you know, re releasing Crono Trigger in some way, and you know we had the Cronocross remester not too long ago, that makes sense. A brand new Chrono game. I think a lot of people still want that and want to see what that is. It's hard to imagine what that even looks like. Right Soccer Fucci is doing his own thing. Ugi Horri is still a square Enix. Actually, Kiriyama fortunately or Torri Alm excuse me a unfortunately passed away, So you can't bring those elements together again. And I'll think people necessarily just want another game like Crono Cross. That was part of the thing of Cronocross was it was so different from Crono Trigger. It was kind of a sequel through a few references and connective narrative ties, but largely its own thing that works for the Final Fantasy series a lot. I don't know if people want another Square Knicks series where there's slight connective tissues that we call it Chrono and we're supposed to get excited. So maybe Crona Triggers and Crona cross are not one offs but two offs. But still, let's get Crona Trigger remade, remastered or something.
Speaker 2: I have a question for y'all. Is Frog from Chrono Trigger on the Mount rushmore of video game frogs?
Speaker 1: Maybe George Washington look so good? Frog Frog ger.
Speaker 4: I like the Acarina frogs, but that's kind of a group of frogs. There's individual frogs. I think Frog might be.
Speaker 5: George Washington, might be George Washington. Great Ninja, green Ninja, not a bath from.
Speaker 1: Slip slip, slippy toad yeah slippy Yeah, but Frog got Frog's theme.
Speaker 2: There's there's a frog in that Star Wars Jedi game.
Speaker 5: Right, everybody liked that little guy, that little freak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, all right, all right?
Speaker 5: Next up here Andyan Jones in the Fantastic Circle. Excuse me, Jeff Grub must have just wrote that the Great Circles PS five release date may have appeared online. PS five release date for the game, which released in twenty twenty four on Xbox inn PC, may be out there. French retail sources indicate a physical release of April seven, HEH twent twenty five, suggesting a simultaneous digital release. Game received positive reviews upon release, with critics praising its adventurous elements in blockbuster fields. Developer Machine Games is working on story dealc called The Order of the Giants, which is also set to launch this year. This is, of course, a part of Microsoft's multi platform expansion strategy. I liked this game a good amounts when it came out on Xbox, it was on PC. I'm hoping that more people discover it once it hits PlayStation five.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think this will have a fantastic second life.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's so weird with a lot of Xbox games because it's hard to get a sense of if it was successful or not, because one, they're not going to share sales numbers, and two, like sales numbers wouldn't tell the whole story anyways, because game passes a thing. Sometimes I wonder if even they really know how to measure a game's success or not. So okay, so tell us the game is a success, like with High Fi Rush, then they'll dismantle the studio anyways until somebody else scoops them up. So I hope that game was a success. I would like to get at least one sequel to it. We'll see what this story DLC is all about, are you guys much for like big story DLC drops that that never really has totally been mind a while, It.
Speaker 2: Can never like cultivate the momentum for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, like that for whatever reason, was like Layer of the Shadow Broker, you know, like that era the.
Speaker 2: Nervous then for me is the one that like is the exception to the rule, I think.
Speaker 1: But yeah, A Bribon one was good. Shivering Isle awesome. Man.
Speaker 5: See when I played Oblivion, shivering Isles had already been now, so like it was actually the first thing I accidentally did in that game was I discovered, So I was like level two doing Shivering Isle.
Speaker 4: I think my favorite game like story DLC was probably Fallout three because they had like five of them. They all were in like different locations, the pit, the UFO one, they all had like their own kind of gimmick, right fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Because I think the timing matters to the time distance between right is like important.
Speaker 5: It works. We I feel like we don't get those kind of big DLC story based drops anymore like we used to, Like you know, foul Face seven remake got one of them, but then Rebirth They're like, we're not doing that this time. The first Spider Man game got a bunch of them. It's Spider Man two, Like, we're not doing that anymore. So some ways, it seems like it's maybe becoming a little old fashioned, if anything. Yeah, get expand alone, so people just start working on the sequel now, et cetera, And so.
Speaker 3: It seems like we're on the the other side of the heyday.
Speaker 2: Of that for sure.
Speaker 4: I started playing something that had a reorder quest, which that brought me back to like Arkham City, you know, or Arkham City was like even weirder where it was like you know, game Spot and Walmart and or game Stop, you know, had different ones for that. But like, yeah, when I saw pre order Quest, I was like, man, I haven't thought of.
Speaker 1: That in a while. Usually it's like you know, outfits and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: I real quick on Indiana Jones. I think about that game a lot still because I'm still recommending it to people, and I it's it's not my place to say. I know, it's all. It's not a brand new conversation. I just can't get past like the feeling I had finishing that game and just wondering what it would have been like fully third person. There's just a part of me that, like, for whatever reason, I know, again it's my opinion, does not matter. I am in no standing to comment directly on it, but I wonder what it would be like in third person, Like that game flirts just enough with it where like you see yourself enough and you know, I just I don't know. I really just cared a lot about that during my play. I don't know why I couldn't shake it. I just thought about it a lot.
Speaker 2: Do you think they just wanted to avoid any potential comparisons with like Uncharted?
Speaker 1: Is why?
Speaker 3: I don't know, Because the character matters so much. The fact that you're Indiana Jones matters a whole hell of a lot. It matters way more than the fact that you're Nathan fucking Drake.
Speaker 4: You know, if they could ever do like was it Village and uh are seven that eventually had the like, oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know if it's in the DNA. I think Machine Games is like, you know, the Wolfenstein shooter thing they don't know will break them somehow, I don't, you know, joking, but like you know that.
Speaker 2: Like Young Bloods was like the co op one right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Swear there was a third person mode in that, but I could just be imagine. I never played. I remember, yeah, thart of it and dropped off pretty quick.
Speaker 5: Yes, earlier conversation about co op shooters. We kind of forgot that, Like Machine Games was fantastic made one and no we really seemed to care.
Speaker 1: Uh all right.
Speaker 5: A new uh Lego Mario Kart set aimed at adults has appeared online ahead of an official announcement. The Lego Mario Kart Mario and Standard Kart surfaced online and Nintendant later confirmed these details. Comprising one and seventy two pieces, it's rated eighteen plus due to build complexity, and is priced at two hundred and fifty dollars AU. Is that Australian?
Speaker 1: Yes, I ordered it. I think it was like one sixty nine in the US.
Speaker 5: I could not do the conversion in my heads. I appreciate that the set features of build up a Mario figure in his iconic cart along with a stand for dynamic display desipay to be officially revealed on hopes probably.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So anyways, Also that Lego game Boy thing is expected to come out about a five Daniel, Like all these video game Lego things, you did go ahead to pick this one up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like Lego stuff in general. I just put together the Jaws set and that was a fun one. Oh yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: That's cool. The problem is these things take a lot of space, and I put together a lot of them. I think, Mike, when you came here, you might see me, And they take up space. My millennium falcons in my bathroom. Big, well, you don't throw it out, what you're done?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: I keep the boxes too, and all the I shit you not. I heard someone genuinely say that they throw them away. No, not that they throw them away. But asked me because you know we've built like the Mario TV yes, and all the ship around the house. And like someone was just like, well you're done, Bill, why like you know the.
Speaker 2: Older person yeah, boomery. I was like, fucking for real.
Speaker 4: What but when you do a lot, like I've done every one of the Nintendo Ones, and it's like, okay, great the Nintendo Ones.
Speaker 1: I've got the space above the fireplace downstairs. I'll just put them all up there. Got space for a couple more maybe.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: But then it's like, okay, I'm done the jaw set. I do the globe thing, and I do the falcon and all this shit. It's just like, these are this is things.
Speaker 3: This is Lego's biggest achilles heel. Yeah, this is the biggest problem, aside from the like wild amounts of plastic that they used. But like that, yeah, what do you do? There's a ceiling.
Speaker 4: I've sold some when I'm done with them where it's just like all right, I had my fun with this. This bat batmobi always on display for a year, and now I'll just sell it fully assembled and just be like, hey, here's the box too.
Speaker 3: Glue it before you sell it.
Speaker 1: I've heard done glue stuff.
Speaker 2: Now I think there's glue it.
Speaker 5: He breaks it, you break it a part again when you sew it, so people can put it back together.
Speaker 4: I think when I've moved out of Connecticut, i sold a handful of them. I think I just gave him to total like full, and then because that that proves like hey, look it's you know, it's yeah, it's got everything.
Speaker 2: You give them a.
Speaker 3: Little sledgehammer and you're like, this is what you'll need when you get home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uh they need to slow down on these.
Speaker 4: And I'm glad they're slowing down on Ambo's because it's just like things that I just keep buying and it's.
Speaker 3: Like, all right's there's still Ambos, there's.
Speaker 1: Still they don't make too many any man, but well, yeah I miss them.
Speaker 5: Uh Tell's switch two upgrades revealed by the FCC amebo speaking of faster Wi Fi and more so. Yeah, so we're kind of got some uh more ideas about this system between NFC support so you'll have a meebo, a second USB se port on top for charging, and Wi Fi six support. I wonder, you know, the NFCU support. I wonder how much love that's going to get or if part of that is just well, this system has to be backwards compatible if I'll switch one game, so we gotta have that, and you know, an NFC uh ports or whatever reader thing probably isn't that expensive.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine I with with how weird the stuff for the switch to may be I don't imagine. Well, I don't know, it's another excuse to sell things, right, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe this is a good time for me.
Speaker 1: But to make a.
Speaker 3: Comeback, stop putting put radio the radio antenna whatever. I mean, it's like eleven cents. It's like, you know, like you're just on there by default.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I think it maybe is just a matter of making sure that this system is as backward compatible as possible. And I'm sure there will still be some games that have some amoebo support, like you know, Echoes of Wisdom. I think did do something if you put a zelda a meebo on it. I don't think they made a news Zeda. I think there were like a couple outfits you could get.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's one of tho things where you can scand like three ambo a day, like Breath of the Wild and Tears the Kingdom did.
Speaker 3: But yeah, nothing really, Dan, I gotta say, buddy, first time I went to your apartment in Manhattan, I'm like, you know, you live in an apartment and and it's not that big. No one has big apartments of Manhattan. I get in, I'm like looking at your dogs.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, that's cool. I look around and.
Speaker 3: I'm greeted with this ameebo.
Speaker 2: Shrine, and I'm just sort of like, do I gotta get the fuck out of here.
Speaker 1: It's a lot more now, and the thing is like all the new ones that just kind of keep in the packaging. So it's like it just takes up so much more space, and it's like you don't have any plan. I don't like buy stuff to sell it. So it's like, no, they're just one filling upward tubs in my storage room, Like there's just.
Speaker 3: One wrong above Funko pops Buddies.
Speaker 1: Hey, now, don't they things you can't take back? I've been That's why I said it. I believe it, and I mean it.
Speaker 5: I know I'm a mild funk pop defender, only a mild one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No one's a full blown defender.
Speaker 5: No one's that much of a sa.
Speaker 1: Folks.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, supposedly you switch, you has Wi Fi six instead of the Wi Fi five in the original switch. Aside from recognizing that's a larger number, I don't really know what that means, but apparently that means the Wi Fi will be a bit faster the Steam deck ole that has Wi Fi six Yeah, yeah, which is better. Yeah, it could have been better, but I guess we'll take what we can get there. Hey, we're not that far away from that April second big kind of coming out party for the Switch to so soon we're gonna finally learn a lot more about this thing and the game's coming out for it, and that's exciting.
Speaker 1: What other colors do you think they're going to have at launch?
Speaker 5: They might not have any additional color. Well, I'm trying to think the original Switch they did have more than.
Speaker 2: Just the red and the Joy had the gray and the red and blue.
Speaker 1: There was a gray option that was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah that's what I got because I I wanted my Switch understated.
Speaker 1: Classy yeah class.
Speaker 5: Uh. RoboCop Broke City is getting a sequel this summer. Standalone sequel called Unfinished Business, set to release this summer for Places of five, Xbox Series, x NUS and PC plays, will reprise the role as Alex Murphy battling heavily armored mercenaries in Omni Tower, a high tech housing complex. So yeah, this Rogue City was a surprisingly good game that it came out in November twenty twenty three. But I think doing a standalone, expand alone kind of thing for that will be neat. Apparently there might be some flashback sequences where you play as a normal bass Alex Murphy before RoboCop, which part of me is like, that's kind of neat in other parts like, who wants to play is just Alex Murphy because playing that demo for Rogue City, the best part of the game was being RoboCop and just lifting people up and throwing them like one hundred feet across an alley or something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, better than I think people expected it to be. And it seems like they did that Terminator game that's pretty well received, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, so good Niche They gotta find more yeah eighties action movies to turn into decent video games.
Speaker 1: I support that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a comedy sequel doesn't mean Clover Studio will only focus on sequels in future. Kamiya says a Clover Studio head that Ki Kamya clarifies that the studios work on an ecomedy sequel doesn't mean they'll only focus on existing ip Kamya and Kento Koyama, who left Platinum Games to form Clover's emphasize that they're open to various possibilities, including sequels, spiritual successors, and entirely new ip. The key factor for them is whether a project is interesting and whether they can cloverize it, adding their unique touch. I love them things they cloverized. While their first project isn't a comedy sequel, Commya stresses that this doesn't limit their future endeavors and that they're not solely focused on sequels. So that's nice, even though I'm sure there's a lot of people who would be happy if they said their next project was a beautiful Joe three or so.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, the first thing.
Speaker 3: I really wish they would have waited to say this until after that game came out.
Speaker 1: Uh, I am.
Speaker 5: I am excited to see that Okami sequel. Makes me feel guilty for not having finished Okamia. I might even go back to.
Speaker 1: That one comedy game.
Speaker 5: It's a very long game. Yeah, yeah, it's a pretty game. It's still a very pretty game, so definitely want to go back to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm glad that Clover's exists. I'm curious to see what they come up with over there. I was a mistake of her, but I thought that this was like now a part of Capcom again like the original Clover was, But no, it is an independent studio that is just working with Capcom, so future projects don't even need to be Capcom ip necessarily, except you know, do beautiful Joe, Yes Joe, come on, come on more anti coolactic. The heretic profit info has come about. This is Naughty Dog's upcoming game. It's at two thousand years in the future and an alternate timeline that split from Mars in the nineteen eighties, where a new religion has evolved. Lead and Neil Druckman has been developing the game for four years, detailing an intricate mythology of the religion's expansion over millennia, but as well assume the role of a bounty hunter straighted on a desolate planet center of this religion with the goal of uncovering its mysteries and escaping the game. If What's by Toe's like Halfway two and Monkey Island, whoa wait a second here, those are just two of my favorite games. We'll focus on exploration and being lost in a confusing world different from Nidok's previous works. Like the Last of Us, Druckman acknowledges the game's religious themes might be controversial. That expresses this fascination with exploring such concepts in a sci fi setting. Here's a quote now for Druckman, with the Last of Us Too. We made a lot of creative decisions that got us a lot of hate. So the joke is that, hey, let's do something people won't care about as much, like faith and religion. I am all for tackling the subject of religion, and you'll Druckman has had some takes on this stuff before, though. That makes me a little worried what exactly the game is going to say about religion, more specific religions.
Speaker 3: The religion is going to be like the Church of Porsche, So I don't really think it's like maybe more of the consumerism religion than.
Speaker 5: He said some things before that had a bit of a sad what he said, A bit of a zion Zionists. I don't even remember science spent to Zionist.
Speaker 2: You didn't know how to say the words zion You know there's some words you mostly just read.
Speaker 1: I read the news. I read the news, all right.
Speaker 5: I'm not necessarily listening to NPR as much as maybe I should.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's awesome.
Speaker 5: But yeah, there's you know, when all this stuff was happening with you know, Gussa and Palestine and whatnot.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 5: So uh, I'm not maybe as incredibly wellformed as I should be, so I'll be careful.
Speaker 1: But I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I didn't know he was. He was loud about that.
Speaker 5: There was something about that, and that's why people are perhaps a little on edge on what he has to say. I think that's a topic of religion, so that's fair.
Speaker 1: Uh, I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 5: He got me a little bit by saying his main sources of influence are Half Life two and Monkey Island. So I hope the game's fun, but I also hope that it doesn't have idiotic takes about some very important and u devastating issues in the world right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The video leak revealed Sony is working on AI powered PlayStation characters. Sony's scoring AI driven characters. The leaked prototypes showing ay from Horizon for Ben and West. Responding to questions. While the AI quality is currently not on par with traditional development and no shit, Sony is hyping it describing as a prototype developed with Gorilla Games. The expression of AI is generating industry attention, as nearly half of gay developers are using generative AI tools. This cutrasts with criticism Activism received for using AI imagery and marketing that that was a story last week when they had AI images for fake video games just to try to gauge interest for them. I don't know if you all have seen this video. It's like the worst version of the MILO prototype for.
Speaker 4: When there are a few things I can think of that I would be less interested in than having a like chat GPT conversation with Aloy.
Speaker 1: And that video is just like, who is this for?
Speaker 5: What do I have to talk to Aloy about? We got nothing in common.
Speaker 1: I don't like it when she talks in the game.
Speaker 2: But but here's here's the thing, and like, you know, I've played like a baby's handful of hours of the Horizon games. Isn't the whole.
Speaker 1: Point is that she's fighting like evil robots.
Speaker 5: That have taken over the dudes the earth? Yeah yeah, yeah, exactly. So there's a dissonence there. It's like not the voice right, some AI slop and it sounds as far from realistic or human as possible. I just have no idea what the purpose of this. I know that it gets executives rock hard and they see this ship.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it Ai is definitely like the the VC Boner of the decade. Listen, listen, though, Mike, you're telling me, I know, I know the answer to this. You walk into disney World, right, you walk into Disney World, and if you could engage with an Ai Mickey to like have your uh just decide where to go first in the park, like oh heard the remark, you know, and tells you like there's not a long way at whatever here, you would love the ship out of that.
Speaker 5: Oh, they absolutely. He had a thing called my Pal Mickey and like the two thousands, it was a doll that interacted with a bunch of like NFC readers, place arout the park and the doll would talk to you and be like, oh yeah, the parts of the Caribean doesn't have a very long line right now. Huh kind of thing. Oh Yeahessey is absolutely gonna try getting in on this slop. Also, they all are you know?
Speaker 2: That was my point is that you're gonna love it.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I love it. I think I may not like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like they tried introducing right Mike, like, uh AI checkout stands that, like we're absolutely hated throughout the parks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, there's stuff like that. I mean, Genie Plus was using AI to like try to give you all these recommendations on what you should do your day and sort of retreated from that. We're all just gonna be stuck in this heuscape of people throwing random darts on the AI board to see what sticks and realize very little does, and then we're just gonna further fall down to our dystopia.
Speaker 3: Just fucking cure cancer. Just shut the fuck up and fucking cure cancer. Okay, you want to make you want to make you want to make all these screensaver, you want to make AI generate screensavers fromuntil the end of goddamn time, Go ahead, but cure fucking cancer. First stop cancer.
Speaker 5: But what if you could talk to Aloy about her day? No, just just just it's not a real person, there's no day.
Speaker 3: And I also hope, like you know, I don't I understand everyone is like hyper horny to inject some semblance of AI into their thing. When AI has become this like dumpster catch all category for everything, not dissimilar to like HD and four K and adding a plus to the end of your dumb ass fucking thing, But like, what are what's the plan humanity? Is the plan to like just eliminate every job on earth so that either there's universal basic income or is it like you're gonna fucking need someone to pay for the shit you're selling. And if nobody's working, there's no fucking money. So who's buying the shit you're selling? If all it is is robots talking to each other? What are what's the plan.
Speaker 5: The government?
Speaker 1: What's the plan?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not like we've had like years, decades even worth of literature and media pointing exactly to where we're at right now, right, Yeah, what's the plan? Show me your plan?
Speaker 3: Show me your roadmap?
Speaker 5: Is that you're gonna go home and turn on your TV so you can talk to Aloy about the backstory to Horizon and there's gonna be so much Okay, all right, that's your entertainment.
Speaker 2: Now excuse my language. The same fucking chuds that complain about how Aloy looks are gonna fire this thing up and whip it out.
Speaker 1: And jerk.
Speaker 5: It's so fucking hard it's going to immediately get turned into weird things like that, right, we.
Speaker 2: Know.
Speaker 5: Ah, last thing here, blizz Con is back. Bliz Entertainment announced that bliz Con the Ultimate Say and they're also.
Speaker 1: Gonna whip it out at bliz Finally it's back.
Speaker 5: It's returning to the Anahi Convention Center. Gonna be September twelfth. September thirteenth used to happen more around early November. It's interesting because they don't just always do blizz Cons anymore. Of course, Uh, the first time they didn't do it was because of the pandemic, but then there was all the you know, the issues happening at Blizzard, and then it got sold to Xbox. Even since then, the last one was in twenty twenty three, So now it is kind of like, oh, they don't do one of these unless they kind of maybe feel.
Speaker 1: Like they have some stuff to show off and talk about.
Speaker 5: So perhaps we are going to get at least one big Blizzard announcement here, a new game watch Overwatch there, they'll be overwatched stuff, and I don't think we're gonna get like Overwatch.
Speaker 2: Three.
Speaker 5: People seem to be happier with Overwatch. In a while, you know, they'll talk about the next World of Workouts expansion, which we already know is called Midnight. I believe they'll talk about, you know, a Harpstone thing and whatnot. But you know, maybe this is where you hear about a new StarCraft or some new ip, something biggish like that. I have to say, of all the kind of gamey conventions I have covered, I have always had the most fun at BlizzCon. They have always put on a pretty good show and experience there. It doesn't hurt that it is literally right across the street from Disneyland. I was gonna say, yeah, I've always had a good time at bliz Con, so they're doing that show again. I would like to be able to go. I don't know if any of you have much of an interest in bliz Con. I don't know how many Blizzard games you're consuming.
Speaker 2: I have an interest in Disneyland, so if given the opportunity, I'll hang out at blizz Con for a bit.
Speaker 5: And Hey, the Overwatch stuff there they have is usually pretty fun because there's like a separate esports arena, so they'll do stuff with that and you get to try out the new heroes or whatever. And you know there's a time there where I was like especially at at games beat, Like my beat was Blizzard almost because they were so popular with oh yeah, the Blizzard beat because Overwatch and Harvestone were popping off, or to workout was still popular. So so much of my time was just covering blizzards. So it was very productive times that I had at blizz Con. Uh all right, that is the news, Jen, I'm handing this show back over to you. That's what Jeff said.
Speaker 3: Hey Mike, that was amazing. Oh for real, like really good. I love you, buddy.
Speaker 5: Oh, I appreciate that. I love you to thank you.
Speaker 2: Great news.
Speaker 1: Dan.
Speaker 2: Also, good job. I don't want you to go without loving this second.
Speaker 3: So no, no, Jan, thank you, Jan, No, no, no, He'll he'll take that back.
Speaker 2: Sorry Dan, Sorry, Dan.
Speaker 1: Now you used to back. Larry's just such a nice guy.
Speaker 2: You know, time, time change, people change. What can I say?
Speaker 1: You can win them over.
Speaker 5: In the third segment, Dan, I believe such a good job with the emails. Okay, thank you, Thanks, Let's see how it goes.
Speaker 2: That's right, folks, we'll be back with emails right after this quick break. If you pick up one piece of trash for the class, you get five podcast points. See you right after this. Emails on cassigiant Bomb dot com is the email address to send all of your lovely emails to right in about any and everything uh that you want.
Speaker 1: Bomcast johnbom dot com.
Speaker 2: If you want to avoid this awkward social interaction, or you have a thought that you need to get out and you need to sentence someone, send it us and we may potentially read it on air. I love and appreciate all of you emailing to keep doing that. I'm also digging through the spam folder because Gmail has suddenly become fucking trash and as putting a bunch of not spam and the spam anyway. First email is about deaths Straining two and comes from Rich. Can Dan explain what's going on in that trailer?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, well I'll stop moving uh they Rich continues. My takeaway was solid Snake is smuggling brain dead, brain dead pregnant women with his zombie army, but is also a puppet. Then an Ouz Colossus wears metal gear Rex's head as a hat. Is this just Hideo Kojima saying he's taking his stuff back after the breakup. The daylight savings time just messed with my attention span, so I missed everything. Thanks everyone, and have a good week.
Speaker 1: Rich.
Speaker 4: I think the only thing I could say with any confidence based on that is that I don't think Solid Snake is also the puppet.
Speaker 1: I think the puppet is a different entity than Solid Snake. Oh like doll man puppet? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Or is he saying like a metaphorical puppet, because I mean Solid Snake was a metaphorical puppet of the government and metal You're solid of course.
Speaker 5: Symbolism symbolism, symbol that's right.
Speaker 2: No, there's none of that here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I don't have any pucket idea what's going on in that story or the first nor will you ever watch every scene, heard everything that that game, I'm to say, and I had a good time with it. Couldn't tell you a single foot What did you like about the game? Walking around, building roads, He's got good walking around, He's got great walking around. The ziplines were fantastic.
Speaker 1: Hyah, I like a zip line, Yeah, I do like the the the tripping gun that was fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the the like bolo thing or whatever, Yeah, that was good. Yeah, it's just it's a fun game to play, you know.
Speaker 3: I'm still stuck on the whole David Lynch comparison, and I feel like that's David Lynch.
Speaker 2: No, No, I think at one hundred percent makes sense because a hundred like a bunch of people will watch a David Lynch film and be like that was weird. I liked it, right, I can not be able to explain anything from it.
Speaker 4: It's very funny to me that the first objective indust randing is take the corpse of your president mom to the top of a volcano for cremation, if I remember correctly.
Speaker 1: It's just very funny. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did David Lynch and Hadeo Kajima ever meet? Almost certainly right at some point, I don't know. The good question loves meeting holly people, and he's usually very successful.
Speaker 2: But on the flip side, does it work where David Lynch would have liked to meet?
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 2: I think so because because he would have just been like, oh here's another weird guy, all right, cool? Yeah you think they would have like bonded in their weirdness. Yeah, because I think, like, like weird energy respects weird energy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well David.
Speaker 4: Had lunch with my wife and I've met Kajima, so we're just a couple degrees of separation.
Speaker 2: There we go, It technically has happened. Then the other power of friendship. Next email comes from Jeff in Quebec. Surprise, The BombCast is now subtitled by AI. What are the little adjectives in parentheses next to everyone's name used to describe their tone and personality? Example Mike parentheses chirpie. This reminds me of Disney Dan parentheses naive.
Speaker 1: No, that's gross. There's no MAO on that. No, it's Jan gross. No, you've read that wrong.
Speaker 2: Jan amazed ever realize how it's actually YouTube advanced but without ads, so it's advanced. Shut the fuck up, Jeff from Quebec? Is that true? Was this like a converse? No, he's just positing.
Speaker 3: No, I'm saying, are is the bomb? Guest subtiped oh on Spotify again.
Speaker 5: I bet backer will get amused a lot, or like annoyed annoyed amused not I want to say.
Speaker 1: Belligerent, No, not belligerent, No, belligerent that's not no.
Speaker 5: Grubs would be like agro okay, yeah, yes, yes, and tauntingly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean pretty pretty solid.
Speaker 5: It's pretty solid for shoot when he's being sincere shootingly shootingly.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Uh. I'm trying to think of one for Nikki because I Nikki has a bunch of just sayings that they're always dropping. That I just gives me a small pop.
Speaker 5: Starting to talk like Nikki and like my person in all life, how I picked up a lot of their mannerisms. I'm saying, makes you think all the time, thinking.
Speaker 2: Constantly was almost like a a twang. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I just love the way Nikki talks, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: There's but there do you do you hear that? There is like almost like a Southern thing going on there?
Speaker 5: So there's like a waight's what you're trying to say?
Speaker 2: I think, no, No, you're right about there is a southern it's a southern California thing. I knew that was gone. I knew that was so Yeah, makes you think, makes you think, Yeah, I want you to know.
Speaker 5: I read your newsletter and I quit piano lessons once too, and under much much more reasonable, much less reasonable situation than you did, So don't feel.
Speaker 1: Bad about it. Quick guitar lessons almost immediately. Yeah, these lessons are kind of boring. It's like, man, I'm either going to be self taught or nothing. My fingers aren't going to move like that. What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Did you was your music classes like solo dolo so like one on one or like in a one on one piano thing?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What do you think would have changed that?
Speaker 1: Like, may may entice you to do it if your instructor was cooler, if.
Speaker 5: My fingers correctly, they're able to come to my place to teach me whenever I wanted.
Speaker 1: To come on, I learned bad.
Speaker 5: It's like this is something I had to do at five o'clock every Wednesday for the foreseeable future. I just don't know.
Speaker 2: So you were forced to do this?
Speaker 5: No, no, I I paid this person. I wanted to learn piano.
Speaker 1: But at college.
Speaker 3: Oh jesus, what the hell? Like I understand a parent uh in you know, uh enforcing this on a child. You're going to learn piano. You're but like there has to be some uh willingness to accept the information of like music theory and to like unders.
Speaker 5: Wanted to learn piano. I did it wants to enough?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess there have, but there has to be like some openness to the to the the thing, right, Like you can't just be like I want to get better at being a carpenter or something, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, piano is difficult because there's so much like learning to play piano. It's such a long process before you're actually playing songs, and like you're playing piano like.
Speaker 1: This tin whistle thing.
Speaker 5: Pretty quickly, I could play a song on a tin whistle and at least felt like I was approximating being a musician.
Speaker 7: Why is that thing within arms reach at all times? What is happening right here? I got my Yeah, this is my D. This this is my first one, my beginner one. This is the woody it kind of has a deeper sid. And then right over here this is the big boy.
Speaker 2: This is the big D all of yours.
Speaker 5: And he said, this is this is right here. It's called a low D actually, but I like to call it the big deep.
Speaker 3: Be fun fun, Yeah, that's the word. They first came into my mind.
Speaker 2: Mike, do you know how to play the ukulele?
Speaker 5: No, my brother does. He had to play it out a wedding one time. I'm terrible with Uh, string instruments. Never figured out a guitar or anything like that.
Speaker 2: I don't have the long strength to play any wind instruments. I Uh you mean wind, yeah, or brass. I played tuba in high school, and uh, that's so impressive, Like, I'm shoot impressed, boxious. It was it was a bad It was a it was a wrong choice because it was just like I'm gonna do what everyone else does, but have to carry around this giant metal contraption while I'm doing it.
Speaker 5: And also all the parts I play are boring bass backing parts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you've got more tuba energy than anyone I know.
Speaker 5: I know it's not shocking to anybody that I played to, but I know tuba energy.
Speaker 2: That's good. He has since entered a rehabilitation program. Uh, and I am his sponsor here. So Travis and Fargo has a couple emails and it has not gone out to me the Travis is misbehaving.
Speaker 1: So we have a bunch of emails this week.
Speaker 2: Actually, but I'll read one of Travis's. Does the younger generation have a wonderwall? A song where if you're at a house party and there's a guitar laying around there's like an eighty percent chance someone will start playing it.
Speaker 4: One thing I've noticed with generations younger than me, like at weddings and stuff, is if like a pop punk thing comes on, everyone loses their fucking minds.
Speaker 1: If there's a fallout boy or a what a good Charlotte?
Speaker 2: Or why is that weird?
Speaker 1: What do you mean? I guess because it wasn't a thing when I was younger, but it was. I hated it though, Okay, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Guess what are we saying?
Speaker 4: It's by how popular it is, because like it'll come on and it'll be like, oh, I thought people lated this song like everyone's freaking out singing it and stuff.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know when Yeah, I guess that's just you, like, you know, understanding popular culture. I guess in a public way. I guess that's you know, it's like some one or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, A lot of people chan say maybe mister bright side by the Killers. I could see that the generation. I could see that. I karaoke mister Bright's side quite a bit. So I guess I'm guilty of it too.
Speaker 3: I mean, I do think like my Chemical Romance and Blink one eighty two and to some degree or maybe with older people Green Day, like, are without a doubt that thing that you are describing, Dan there is.
Speaker 1: I just were getting angry every time I even saw my chemical romance like a picture. You know what, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm saying. This is like the weird Paul record programming that I was raised with.
Speaker 1: Dan, I said, wouldn't do it now. I said, the emails were your big chance.
Speaker 4: When I see a new thing, like I see someone on SNL that I'm like, I don't know who this person is and I don't get it.
Speaker 1: But I'm not like girl. I used to be gir because my dad taught me girl.
Speaker 3: You know, I like, no, but you could be girl at like uh, I don't know, uh even good Charlotte Gerr.
Speaker 2: I can get behind you know, but I'm with you on that. But like my chemical romance.
Speaker 1: Oh, I remember deeply them in Lincoln Park and all that stuff. I just couldn't see.
Speaker 2: Now now some ship high school man that's afy the few pants, I can't.
Speaker 1: No, I listen to corn or Lincoln Park or any of that stuff. I was just hearing it.
Speaker 3: You know, Well, well, okay, no, because I'm with you there on Lincoln Park. But I think I just I know, I know, look, it's a generation. That's a generational thing, okay, but like but like conflating blink and Lincoln Park is like dumb.
Speaker 2: I think I know.
Speaker 4: I'm saying, like anything that was made after nineteen seventy eight I was just told was not really.
Speaker 3: And I'm the old guy. And I'm the old guy, got it.
Speaker 1: God, this is a great regret of mine.
Speaker 4: In the nineties, when I was getting in to like to hear rage against Machine or Sound Garden that back, Oh I like this, my dad would be like, well, it's not real music, and I'd be like what. So like I was like mocked for liking new music, and so I think I just kind of built this defense thing of like all new stuff is bad. And then as I got older, I was like, man, there was so much great stuff in the nineties. I wish I could have listened to more Pearl Jam and Sound Garden James.
Speaker 2: And you know which I was free to listen to that I was, yeah, like, all right, fair enough, God, I'm seeing both of those bands this summer and I'm so fucking excited. MCR sure oh h. And I don't know why I decided to do this, But I decided to buy Lincoln Park tickets in Brooklyn just because.
Speaker 3: Popeye Popeye.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 3: Of course there's a there's a tour this this, oh it's uh this Summer, The Offspring, Newfound Glory and Jimmy World okay, which is like an interesting trio there. Dan hates all of those.
Speaker 1: B I did hate all those.
Speaker 2: I will say, uh, I don't think I'm gonna assume gen Z parties don't have uh someone ready to play guitar. It's someone like saying past me the ox chord or whatever some Spotify ship and when we play this AI DJ or something. But people will fucking go insane if panic at the disco starts playing.
Speaker 1: That's one of them.
Speaker 5: True.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know their songs are like sentences. You know.
Speaker 4: I was deeply annoyed by any band that wrote songs about being like sad or whining or any what are you doing that?
Speaker 1: Millionaire?
Speaker 2: You also know that's all seventy What do you mean that's all rock.
Speaker 1: Is Zepplin and skinnered and stones.
Speaker 2: Yeah they have problems, do there?
Speaker 1: I not depending it.
Speaker 4: I'm just like I always hated whenever any musician complained about, like, what are you talking about being sad you got your millionaire.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, yeah, you're not allowed to have problems.
Speaker 1: I know, I know they like trust me as I've gotten older.
Speaker 4: It's like I used to that was my big thing with Lincoln Park, Like, oh yeah, I'm sure there's super millionaires.
Speaker 1: Yeah, life stuck. I'm sure they got a real tough life. And then it's well, okay, you know what.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I realize how wrong that thinking was.
Speaker 2: I'm okay.
Speaker 3: If you just stop admitting it too, I'm okay, if like you just stopped talking about how it used to be like that, we.
Speaker 1: Would have got along great back then back.
Speaker 2: Let me also say, fuck Paramore starts playing at a fucking flugs people are eight eight fucking minds. I believe it. Man, hell yo, Hailey Williams.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: Next email comes from Ryan and San Jose. Uh, hey, folks in the same vein as Tony Hawk's pro skater, what would each of your games be? What would Jane Cho was blank blank be? Love y'all Cooper from San Jose, h Jana Cho's new crippling addiction?
Speaker 5: Uh like Manati's Disney Day planner.
Speaker 2: Oh, it'd be a fun like theme park. Sim that'd be cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, figure out, like what are you gonna You gotta get your reservations for dinner at so and so date, and if you want to get to get a br guest, you gotta make sure you get up at five o'clock to get that reservation. But for echoes and what's your backup? You might be going to the Liberty Tree tavern if that one falls through.
Speaker 1: Jeff Grubbs Mini Van, Oh yeah, Dan Record's car combat.
Speaker 2: Everyone is axel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just a thousand.
Speaker 1: That's a party.
Speaker 3: Uh, Jeff Backlar's Major Grievances.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good, that's very good.
Speaker 2: Second level is locker room hot dogs. Oh that's some boss battleship right there. Nikky Grayson's make you think. Yeah yeah yeah, Turbo Shawn's uh furry collection.
Speaker 1: Collection. Sorry shots, sorry, shot, it's a joke. It's a goof.
Speaker 2: Alright.
Speaker 1: Shoemaker's Nat drive.
Speaker 2: Nass, it's nas but to Tony Hawks, so would please.
Speaker 3: Vinnie Caravella is complex wiring.
Speaker 1: Or TriCaster.
Speaker 2: No no, no, Vinnie Caravella is fast eating.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: Fast, I mean I fast and no, I've never seen anybody eat faster than my dad.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 5: That's Italian. How do we get your dad through the meal very quickly?
Speaker 1: How do we get your dad to like enter a eating competition with Vinnie? I don't think that's It'll be too short. It'll be too short. Yeah, won't last long enough.
Speaker 5: Everyone's gonna put their.
Speaker 1: Buddy Alex Navarro's thinly disguised disdain.
Speaker 2: That's really good. That's really good. Lucy James's Sleepy Time.
Speaker 1: Jason a striker's backpack Twizzlers. I love that. It's very good.
Speaker 5: Or Hussein's bloodborne your name, how great it would be if there's more blood.
Speaker 2: That's good. That's all very good. All right. Last email of the show, once again BombCast at giant bomb dot com is the email. Sorry, I just saw Matt Matt Rory's you play, and then I'm thinking Matt Rory's wide monitor, Matt Rory's.
Speaker 8: Matt his missing shoes, Matt Rory's unnecessary robe, Matt Rory's floor meal, couch fart.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 3: There is a lot with Rory, bobcast, broken dirt bike gego.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say Matt Rory at BombCast dot com. BombCast a Giant bomb dot Com is the email addressed to send your emails to. I love and appreciate everyone emailing last email. The show comes from Simon and Saskatchewan and they have a trivia fun fact that I didn't believe was real and I have not done the research to see if it's a shoot or not. Dear BombCast, I love trivia and wanted to share a fun trivia effect each week Trivia Fact of the week, first week of March. They have not written the second or third fun fact, so Simon, I'm waiting. Canola as in cooking oil, is an abbreviation for Canadian oil low acid. Genetically modified type of rape seed plant is a yellow flower and is beautiful in the summer when there feels full of them.
Speaker 1: Well thanks Simon from.
Speaker 5: Were we basing a letter on grape seed?
Speaker 4: Literally googled what is canola? And I saw the answers like, oh, I could see why they did some rebranding.
Speaker 5: But no one went in rape seed oil.
Speaker 1: Weird? Yeah, OK, yeah.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite like Korean bancha, like the little side dishes, is like rape flour, so you know.
Speaker 1: Wow, we could really brand some things better. We can change names. We can do that.
Speaker 2: A word like that. Yeah, that's surprised.
Speaker 1: I know Samon and canoe oil last night. Yeah, it's like that's a good high or high smoke point oils low. I forget, I forget which one's getting now.
Speaker 4: So you don't do all you don't do all of you, don't do all of you new canola Yeah, yeah, avocado's all right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And speaking about changing names, folks, if you missed the announcement at the beginning of the show, we are changing the name of Game Mess Mornings too, game breaking News, as well as unveiling the Power Block this Thursday. That's right, pretty much almost all day at least four to six hours of constant streaming, constant programming from here, from us here, our homies at game Spot, our friends at Fandom. We're all teaming up, working together, one big vultron of content, uh to present a bunch of stuff your way again. Do not fear all the same stuff that you've grown used to, like the dump truck, Blight club Boy, UH, bomb cast, BC, r U p F. That is all sticking around. We're just adding more things so you keep hanging out with us. Thursday, we will have can we bring back?
Speaker 4: Don't don't touch that dial because that's the thing now, you don't have to hop between streams. Don't touch that dial, right, there's no dial to that.
Speaker 1: How do we modernize it. Don't touch that tab that X yeah, I want to bring back. Don't touch that dial.
Speaker 3: That was a good don't don't Yeah, don't close that tab.
Speaker 1: Don't close tab work? Wow, don't close that tad works? Yeah, don't close that tab. That's why you're the big brands here.
Speaker 5: What about.
Speaker 4: Maybe go back to the drawing board on that one, you know where, just saying you could brand things a little better.
Speaker 1: This Thursday.
Speaker 2: Like it. Tomorrow you're from zero to point one?
Speaker 3: Real sad, I like it.
Speaker 5: We will have.
Speaker 2: Brand new graphics and art for game Breaking News when that makes the switch over on Thursday. Stay subscribed to the same podcast feeds. We're just going to change the name. Do not worry for game breaking news. On Thursday. We will also have the debut of the Game Spot Show, which is a bunch of pure fun that the homies have cooked up over there. Tam and Lucy are going to continue their playthrough of Split fiction, and then I believe we're capping the day off with a regular decular episode of Voicemail Dump Truck. And then yeah, that'll just be how things move forward going on. Everything will be live, everything will also be archived, So don't trip, Chocolate Chip, We'll cover you there. Uh, friends, anything else to say about the power Block?
Speaker 1: It gonna be fun, Yes, for a long time. It's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: You know, we're we're what.
Speaker 3: Do they say, what's the phrase? Where we're building the plane while we're trying to fly it also at the same time, so it's gonna be interesting to see all that coming together.
Speaker 2: But yeah, super super dope and hope you enjoy a lot of hard work has gone into this all over the board, and folks, that does it for another episode of the Giant BombCast. We'll see you next week for another episode. Until then, he's been Mike, he's been Dan, he's been Jeff, I've been Jad and you at home are doing great. Look at those socks you're wearing today, Holy smokes. Okay, Dan, we didn't all right, oh the feet okay, all right, No, we didn't need to see the other one, all right, Well, have a good day.