Speaker 1: Don't be bait. It's the Internet. You're busy. Let's do this for October twenty fourth, twenty twenty four. For the next hour or so, let me help you sort through the world of gaming on Game Mess Mornings Live with me Jeff Grubb. Today, Nintendo is looking for outside help to make more Switch games because it's busy with something else. And we've got a bunch of updates on games you never thought would come out. But first, please join me and welcoming today's co host to Game Mess Mornings. It's Jane. Oh shoe, Jan, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: I cannot. I think I it finally happened, grub and I'm kind of ashamed. I'm kind of scared to admit this. Yep, this is a safe space, especially on this website. I think I may have tangentially been bit by the K pop bug.
Speaker 1: Finally, finally, I've been wondering. I've been the kids like every day. I'm like, is it gonna finally get Jan? It's Jan gonna become one of us.
Speaker 2: It's this stupid apt song with I think her name is Rose, Okay, she's she's from Black Pink and my gambling brother Bruno mars uh huh an icon for short kings out there.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 2: The level of riz and and and chemistry off the charts, Scrub, I can't stop listening to this dang song. I've not heard kids are onto something.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm off to check this out. Uh yeah, I like that K pop is not just pop music. It's just it is just popular music everywhere now and there's sort of no difference, no delineation really anymore. But uh yeah, I will. I will check this song out and listen to it. I'm like, I've been looking the mood for new music, like actual new music, not music new to me. I've been like, well, what's what are the kids listening to? And finding it mostly pretty good these days.
Speaker 2: It turns out you can keep making new music. We don't have to keep listening to ghost choral ladies singing over organ music.
Speaker 1: Yes, we don't have to, we do, we don't have to. We don't have to do that anymore. So yeah, so I'm gonna go right now and I'll go listen to the Chainsmokers. I don't know, you know, the.
Speaker 2: Hottest of the hot. Oh actually, Grub, I saw you tweeting about this several weeks ago asking what Turbo Granny is.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: You don't have to investigate what Turbo Granny is, but I do. Okay, Well, I highly suggest everyone check out the opening theme song to the new anime. Dan to Dan, I think the artist that behind it is creepy nuts, so check it out.
Speaker 1: It is she Gobbles Wieners. Yeah, Turbo Granny out there doing her thing, and I am so proud of her living her best life.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you for the fellow anime freaks out there episode three D. You know Greb said it earlier. Mother, I'm gonna say grandmother.
Speaker 1: Uh shout outs to all the Turbo Granny's out there, Dan to Dan, I I people have mentioned to me several times now that the opening sequence is very good, so I will I'll check that as well.
Speaker 2: I I don't don't throw it into your workout playlist, though, because you will gas yourself out.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't want to hurt myself. Who's a Maki? Who's a Mechi? That's also like the max I haven't. I think I want to read that first before I watch that. That's gingh yeah, yeah, I want to read that.
Speaker 2: I think people have said that to me as well, read it first and then okay, yeah, people, yeah, just just read it.
Speaker 1: Okay. People are not happy with the show, Okay, no need to Okay, people are all around just not.
Speaker 2: Very happy with it.
Speaker 1: Fair enough. Okay, that's that saves me some time. I'm always looking for reasons not to watch TV shows. Find a lot of them all over the place. You know what, let's explain what we do most weekdays. I, Jeff Grubb, will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on Twitch welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mess Mornings, or find the RSS on GiantBomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the Morning Mess with. Players are streaming Nintendo Switch online playtest despite requests not to. This is from Jordan Miller at VGC. Several users are streaming Nintendo's currently ongoing Nintendo Switch Online playtests. Despite one of the conditions of joining the playtest being that players can't share information about the game, VGC can verify that several players have streamed the test on YouTube and kick with clips of the test quickly being reposted on social media despite the original streams being taken down. The test, which was announced earlier this month, is simply named Nintendo Switch Online Colon Playtest Program and began earlier earlier this week and where it will run until November six. Players who successfully signed up for the mystery tests were sent documentation on the program, including a series of requirements for those looking to participate. One of these is a requirement to keep contents of the test secret. The page reads, we request that you do not discuss or disclose content from either the Nintendo Switch Online Playtest Program, test software, or website with others. Based on other similar tests, it's perhaps unsurprising that these streams have appeared despite Nintendo's attempts to remove the streams on their original platforms. The proliferation of footage from the project has lifted any veil of secrecy around it. Screenshots of the game appeared earlier this week that appear to show a game that looks similar to Minecraft, but with various beacons containing separate play areas placed on a giant planet. The higher your beacon is placed, the wider it's beacons zone it comes.
Speaker 2: The app says, it's all very it's.
Speaker 1: A lot, it's a lot, a lot. I will I watched I watch a little bit of people playing, and uh, it looks buck wild. This game looks buck wild jam grub.
Speaker 2: I think if we flood Nintendo Jail with enough people, yeah, we'll all break out to you.
Speaker 1: You can't arrest us, all right. That's that's what they say. You can't arrest us. All yeah. I wouldn't test, would you? I would?
Speaker 2: If everyone else I would.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also saw some clips circulating. I was kind of seeking them out because I knew the gamers would not abide.
Speaker 1: By the rule the cameras don't abide. That's right, that's right. It is very different than what I was expecting. I yes, yeah, so based on the kind of what we're seeing out there, Uh there is. First of all, you do look like a little Tale of the Sun character. That is the closest point of reference I can think of to have it looks like you pick your hair color, and it's it's just a whole like dome of hair all around, like so there's hair in the back, but then there's hair in the front, and there's two little eyes there. There is a Spider Man swinging gameplay mechanic for getting around that you can and you can like grab onto anything, so it's like you grab on the floor and that'll like jut you forward and it looks pretty cool actually, And there's a double jump where you have a tail that spins in the air and it keeps you like propeller propellering forward. It's it looks like a lot like as far as like the structure of what you're supposed to be doing in this game, I'm still lost on that. I really don't know. Yeah, I'm gonna play this for myself here pretty soon, but I won't be able to talk about that. I'll be able to talk about other people. I guess leaking online.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder why, Yeah, I I also wonder. It seems like this is a completely new design from anything Nintendo has previously done, unless they're scraping the bottom of the barrel for things that are super obscure in their existing catalog. It doesn't seem familiar at all, and it just seems like Nintendo is trying to enter a genre not even late to the party, just like why it feels like.
Speaker 1: They didn't even know there was another party, Like there was a party and everyone was there and I want to have a good time. And then Nintendo's like, we're gonna have this party and everyone's like, we've been at this one for twenty years. What are you talking about? And we have no idea what you mean? Our party is very different and it really seems that way. Yeah, I think that, you know, again going back to what we know about this from data minors and things like that, it is from EPD for Entertainment Planning Division for you know, Labbo Weird Studio, and this is extremely weird, and I'm I'm kind of like, at the very least in terms of it being an MMO from Nintendo, weird is kind of a best case scenario, because I boring and familiar would be the worst case. They'd be like, Okay, I have no need to even try this. It's probably like if it's a WOW, but worse or worse or like you maybe in Nintendo's case, like some of the like Ultimate Online but worse so like an old MMO that like doesn't have a lot of modern quality of life features. It's not that though. It is very much not that. It is a shared communal space with a lot of people running around in the same on the same server at the same time, and it has just different ways of interacting with each other and the game and and it kind of it still has that Nintendo. Oh it's fun to control, based on again what we saw. So yeah, I'm still very curious. Who knows if how have time to actually get in there and spend a lot of time, because I'm gonna be I'm gonna be playing a lot of Astro still because I'm a sick mastard.
Speaker 2: No, no, we know we you're not a sick bassard. Grub. It needs to be done.
Speaker 1: It does need to be done. So I, like I said, I played that the new level came out this morning. I did one real run of that. I just got the time in there, kind of like seeing what it was all about, and immediately I didn't say anything. Immediately after I submitted my time, Dan, who apparently been playing for a while this morning, I was like, hey, beat you see you on the next stage, so already after like pretty much getting left behind in the last stage, already talking shit on this stage, so I have to you're right. But in the meantime, Nintendo continues to be very weird speaking to Nintendo.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, go ahead, no, no, no, I just really appreciate whatever it is that Nintendo's doing, because with most, if not all of their efforts, they wind up developing a very odd cult audience for a lot of their games. I mean, even Arms has like it's very niche, strong community, and we saw how much Splatoon blew up and creating its own subculture around even just the music in Splatoon. I'm very curious also knowing that it's the Labbo people, I'm interested to see what they would do with just a regular decular game versus having to incorporate the cardboard because a lot of parts of Labbo were really really intricate. Oh yeah, and like the further you dived into it, the wilder the tools actually were. I think it was just very intimidating in an arduous process to build all of the cardboard before you could even explore any of the cool bits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's uh and you know, looking you know, with this game. We knew that based again based on the early leaks, that there's going to be some sort of building, some sort of Minecraft like feature. It seems like that is a really simple, like simplified in terms of its input like breath of the word out, tires of the case them style, like hey, we're gonna use them the ultra hand grab things and piece them together. This seems like a much simpler version that where like the character goes around and does like sumo wrestler hands to boxes and if he does that to two boxes that are next to each other, it'll connect those two boxes. But you can then like do that in like a chain, so you can make like a stair step thing like pretty easily. And it's i mean, Nintendo's trying to make this very open and friendly and feel like like it pops, like it has like a juiciness to it that is satisfying.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I'm like curious to see like what the upper limits are of that for user generated content, like what people are gonna be able to pull off, because right now it just looks like block building, which is gonna have its place. I know that's a big part of what they're going for here. But is it gonna be too simple or too weird or too esoteric or not matter to people, and that then they're just gonna stick with their Lego Fortnites and then their Minecraft's probably. But I'm yeah, really just kind of want to see where this all goes. I hope we are not too far off from them being like, and this thing is just out. I kind of hope, like it is a matter of we did this test and then a month later, now it's out for everybody. But maybe maybe it's gonna take quite a bit longer than that. I don't know, all right. Speaking of Nintendo, as I said, Nintendo's is, apparently, according to rumors, courting third parties for switch remasters, while Nintendo itself is busy with Switch To. The Switch To rumor mill continues to churn with no signs of slowing down. Nintendo had previously stated back in May that a proper announcement of the console would be happening before the end of the fiscal year this coming March. It is now October, and the fiscal year will be ending in just five months, so all that there is to go on is rumors. For example, pH Brazil is now saying that Nintendo is allegedly courting some third party developers to release some remasters on Nintendo's hybrid console, while Nintendo themselves remained busy with the switch to pH Brazil notes that games that are planned for being remo mastered on the Switch include Splinter Cell, Blacklist and Driver one in two, and Rayman three is also mentioned, though pH Brazil mentions that they're not sure if this is related to today's ray Man rumors will get to those not everything specifically named. However, not everything was specifically named. Ubisoft has two more games that weren't mentioned specifically that they plan to remaster for the Switch. EA has some Wii games coming. Meanwhile, banday Namco has something in the works as well, though it only mentioned that they have a PS three game being remastered. They apparently have something else, but it is unknown as to what it is exactly. Yeah, okay, I mean I think that these companies maybe they get the call from Nintendo, and Nintendo says, hey, can we get some help. Can you like remaster something something easy, something that'd be like not a lot of work to get over there. I could see some of these companies being like, all, yeah, let's help out Nintendo because we want to be in good with them for this Switch two, I guess, but we also know that, like you know, once the Switch two is out, I think there's a chance that like interest in buying older games for the Switch one will probably take a pretty significant hit. So I'm not expecting big things for these, But I don't know. If there's like some interesting ports, maybe maybe I would check some of the stuff out, but I probably what's gonna happen is there's gonna be a time like ten years from now and to be like that game came to the Switch. When did that happen? Yeah, oh, okay, it came out in twenty twenty four, twenty twenty five, when I was paying attention to the switch to right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's still a valuable audience to try and target, though, because Nintendo wouldn't be thinking about this if they didn't do the math already of like, all right, let's get the suckers that don't want to follow the zeitgeist and jump to the next console, or people that may not be as plugged in, like family's households that keep buying switches, or new kids or replacing old switches. I could see this as a super valuable strategy, especially if they're remastering god GBA games grub Yeah sure, like DS games, three DS games.
Speaker 1: More collections of those, like the Dominant Collection.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, games that don't necessarily need that second screen to be adapted to anything else, because you know, for some DS three DS games, the gimmick wore off very quickly and it just became another menu maybe yeah, yeah, exactly, and that can be adapted to the switch pretty easily. There's a bonch of hit in gems, even from both of those handhelds that are sorely missing. I don't see them winding up on like the virtual console for the GBA. So give me, give me. This is already a strong year for RPG's grub. Give me more of.
Speaker 1: Them though, Yeah, but put Stuntman for Game Boy Advance. It's a good game. It's a really good game. You know. Talking about this, I wonder if that my SIMS remaster that we keep hearing about, which I don't think is. I don't know if it's gotten confirmed yet. Maybe maybe it did get confirmed. I know people talk openly about it, but my SIMS coming to switch feels like maybe might be part of this, And I bet Ya's like, oh yeah, maybe we should do my SIMS. That's that kind of fits in with our strategy anyhow, of what we're doing with the SIMS. So yeah, maybe we could do that. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a part of these conversations. And I think something like that, Yeah, that could do really well on the Switch because that the Switch clearly going to be you know, my kids are playing more Switch now than they ever have before. Ye and that's not going to change even when the Switch too comes out. That's going to be the system that they're going to be picking up most frequently. And I think parents and families will continue being like, oh yeah, we are going to want to get some games here. SIMS is a name I recognize. My SIMS is the one for younger children. Okay, yeah, here's some money. I think ports like that make some sense. Like I'm like, oh, yeah, ea is poorting some we we games. What else could they be working on? I'm not sure. Probably not going to be doing boom blocks. I don't think they want to do a most control only game, but who knows.
Speaker 2: Maybe hey, maybe they want to make Burnout three for the switch.
Speaker 1: Okay, well yeah they put they put Burnout Paradise on there. Burnout three on the switch would rule. That would be awesome.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Honestly, just like re release Burnout three with full online features for all the consoles. Like just so I got an active like we could all take you know, the hot swapping the seat for the crash course, the levels. I would love that. That's that's a good score chasing game. Also, there's like.
Speaker 2: A whole slew of GameCube games grub that, yeah, you can throw out there. There's Billy Hatcher there. There was like a warrior game for the GameCube, right, like a three damer what.
Speaker 1: Warrior World, which is actually not too bad. It's made by Treasure which Love Studio. It got danged at the time for being a bit too short, but my played it recently and he's like, dah, that doesn't matter anymore. I just this is just a good game. So yeah, that'd be cool. That would be awesome to see. Yeah, I'm trying to like, I'm just like looking at like, what else did EA have on the on the Wii SSX blur uh Littlest Pet Shop Friends. Okay, oh, let's do it nerf end Strike the Simpsons game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they could put out some Simpsons games.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm sure there's like licensing issues with like Disney, and I don't know, maybe Disney wud be fine with that.
Speaker 2: Get John Drake on the phone.
Speaker 1: Get John Drake on the phone. EA Playground, Okay, yeah, my sims is probably the one that's probably that's probably the one they're gonna just keep boring. Uh okay, let's see here. Back over to the stories. Uh, this is a section of we're gonna call it, Hey, is that game actually gonna come out? We have three stories all like that. Uh, this first one is maybe a little bit more. I don't know, let's just talk about it. Ubisoft confirms it's exploring new Rayman ideas amid reports of a remake. This is from Ethan Gotch at Kotaku. Let's see. The original ray Man is the game that put Ubisoft on the map. It's been over a decade since the last installment of the colorful platform or franchise, but the French publisher is currently in the quote early stages of exploring what will come next for the series. The series is titular limbless Hero. We are pleased to confirm Ubisoft Montpellier and Ubisoft Milan have recently started an exploration phase on the Rayman brand. A spokesperson for Ubisoft told Kotaku in an email the project is still in its early stages and we will share more details later. While a new Rayman might not be ready for some time, the upcoming project seems to be more than just an exploration at this point. Ubisoft statement came after Insider Gaming reported that a Rayman remake co named Project Steambot is in early development and the former members of the Prince of Persia Lost Crown team were moved to this new project after a sequel to that game was canceled amid disappointing sales. Insider Gaming also reported that the original creator of Rayman, Michelle Ansel, was consulting on the project, a move which rankled some developers. That you be soft due to the former director's reputation for toxic leadership. Yeah, that's that's rough. Yeah, I mean this is you know, kind of a little bit of a little bit of a car wreck because this a lot of a lot of this is coming out because people are like, what the hell's going on with the Prince of Persia Lost Crown team. They're getting disbanded. What does that mean? Well, a lot of them are going to go work on ray Man and now you be stopped just like we're in the early stages of making ray Man. Isn't that exciting? Ignored that you're not getting any more sequels to the Lost Ground, a game that everyone loved. Uh, We're going to start making Rayman now, and it's like, well, you're just gonna do the same thing to ray Man, So why why would I get excited? I but I mean this does feel like something that like, yeah, Ubisoft bouncing around from Prince of Persia to two D Prince of Persia to make it a new Raymn That sounds about right for that company. This is one I think probably does actually come out, or at least they put a decent amount of work into it.
Speaker 2: I'm a little bit skeptical grub I mean several reasons other than it being Ubi Soft. I feel like the last couple two D Rayman games, I mean, the last couple ones have been two D have a certain style that takes a lot of work to pull off.
Speaker 1: The art style.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that ub art style is not an easy thing to just flip around. And what type of Raymann game would they try and explore do they want? Does Ubisoft get thrown off about the lack of success and do they tie the lack of success to Prince of Persia the Lost Crown being because it's a two D game versus a three D game? Yeah? Do they see the success of the Astrobot and assume like, Okay, people want three D platformers, but I just don't think you'd be Soft is the healthiest company right now to make this pivot and dive into Rayman in a substantial way. Also, there's a certain type of whimsy I guess with Rayman that I think has been lacking at the company from like the bigger side of the company, not the on the ground devs at all. But like I feel like any type of whimsy that Rayman would try and present would get stamped out from the powers that be above the devs. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they're like, let's make this more patable, palatable, excuse me, to a mainstream, wider audience, and that would rough rub off some of the rough edges. Yeah, I'm hopeful. I think a new ray Man would be fun, I think, especially at his time. Maybe go back to a three D ray Man. And if they are scared of what happened to the Prince of Persia game because it's two D, maybe then that means, yeah, invest in making a three D ray Men. They've done that past, some of them were very good, and I think, yeah, I'd like to see another three D platform. Are kind of doing new things out there that would be great to see. But that's also but you know, a bigger scope necessarily than two D. So that makes it that feels like it makes it less likely because they're what they're trying to do here is make something that is I think affordable, cheap to make, and can do decently well in terms of sales. So I where they fall on that side of the argument of like, hey, do we make this investment because we think it'll sell better or do we pull back and scale and just say, hey, it's Rayman. It's going to sell no matter what to that audience of RAYMN fans, and so we should try to spend as little on this as possible. I think it could go either way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And also that's got to be an insane amount of pressure internally of like, Okay, we got to make a hit, we got to make a banger, or we're going to our team is going to get dispersed to the Wins. It's it sucks, It's not Also, are I know that our particular audience, our group of pocket on the internet maybe clamoring for more ray Man. But how much name recognition does Raymn have now versus the Rabbits?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you think the I think the Rabbits probably have more name recognition than Rayman does at this point. Yeah, that does mean I think they should still make a ray Man instead of a Rabbit's Rabbit. Rabbits has a certain I think you bring back the Rabbits at some point. I think they should make a Rabbits party game, a new one. I think they made one in the past, Make a new one of those, give it a couple of years before it comes out, and let the people yearn for Rabbits again.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: They could probably make that work, but in the meantime, don't. I don't think they should ignore ray Man because of that. But I think you're right that it's not going to be some cultural cachet that they are cashing in with ray man, it's going to be like, oh yeah, oh what is Oh this was the guy that the rabbits came from for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Eves, get on, get on the phone here, guys. Get ready to cut me a check, Get ready to sell me a check. You should veno me, no one else. Here's what you do you want. Let's let's exploit the rabbits while we're at it. Let's get a rabbit's pickman, like you know, it's throw a bunch of different rabbits at at some stuff. Make it work, humanity. Let's get that. But with rabbits. Yeah, let's say those are my two ideas. Eves, get cut me the check, cut the check.
Speaker 1: I think, do a lot a lot of more fun stuff with rab take like these these other genres and just make the silly version with rabbits. I would welcome that. I I never minded the rabbits all that much. They were not I like, I prefer pickmen in terms that we're talking about whimsical creatures that you throw around. But rabbits were fine, all right. The second in this trilogy of Will This Ever Come out? Beyond Good and Evil Too, is still alive and slowly moving forward. With new leader leadership. This is from Ethan Gotcha Kataku, a new Beyond Good and Evil game from Ubisoft, was a first officially teased back in two one thousand and eight. Over fifteen years later, Beyond Good and Evil two hasn't seen the light of day, but it still eventually might. Despite years of stalled production punctuated by high profile departures and tragedy, the ambitious open world sequel remains in development and continues its slow marched forward under new leadership. The co op space Pirate follow up to the cult hit sci fi two thousand and three game, made its big debut at E three twenty seventeen, with hands off demos from the following year. Those presentations made a lot of promises about its procedurally generated planetary cities, third first in action combat, and seamless transition to outer space, and were led by Beyond Good and Evil creator Michelle on Sell and senior producer yillemu O Brunier, neither of whom are still with the project. On Cell left You'll Beisoft and twenty twenty amid reports of toxic leadership and chaotic direction, although he's now back consulting on a new Rayman project. Brenier was removed from Beyond Good and Evil two earlier this year, sources told Taku at the time, following years of gridlock and indecision about scope, features and design trade offs. Taking his place was Francis Koldbioff, a nearly thirty year veteran of Ubisoft who had already been working on the game as a producer. Brenier would transition to another project with Ubisoft. A spokesversuon told from Ubisoft told Kotaku back in July, we'd like to thank Yellow for his leadership in developing the game over the years. Okay, yeah, yeah, there's there's like a little bit more here, but mostly it's like, okay, they they're shuffling around leadership, they're making changes with the idea of where we am, maybe this is a game we're going to release one day. I mean, you know, the game they showed off or they first teased in two thousand and eight, then the you know the trailers that they show in twenty seventeen and twenty eighteen. All of those feels so long ago that they can't possibly be relevant to the work that people are doing today. But boy, they continue to insist that this is something that is going to actually come out one day. And you know, the most recent like tangible, concrete evidence we have that Jan is in the Beyond Good and Evil to remaster or BEYONCN Evil one remaster excuse me, that came out earlier this year. That was very well done. People really liked it. It had small, tiny little references to Beyond Good and Evil too in there, as if hey, yeah, the team that's doing that work, they provided this so we could put it in here, and now it's gonna there. They're gonna link together and Beyond Good Evil to the prequel to Beyond Good Evil one. It's gonna matter to this story. How about this one? Jan, you believe this one?
Speaker 2: I still don't actually believe this one. Yeah. There are other games grub that feel more tangible and more real that are still years away from coming out. We haven't had or seen anything new from Spoon Heaven two in a hot minute, Onto Chocolate Tear Right is another game that's like, that's gonna that's the real game, but that's gonna a couple of years.
Speaker 1: It's on pause right now. I think the developer went back to a stardy Valley in a real way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but beyond good and evil too, especially with whatever scope that they're looking at and then the expectations that they're trying to fulfill. Grub It's it seems like a fool's errand to try and do it, because yeah, at this point, whatever they showed us previously isn't applicable now. They would have had to redo whatever they showed us back then anyway. So it feels like this is Ubisoft grasping its straws hoping to play haate whatever audience is around to like say, hey, calm down, we're gonna make the thing that you wanted instead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's you know, this company. We looked over at Skull and Bones. Whenever we got the urge to be like, what's going on with that thing, it was like, they're still going to release that. And the reason they're still releasing that it is not that they have this sunk cost fallacy that they're addicted to. It's they they got a tax break, a tax credit or whatever. They got money from the Singaporean government for Ubisoft Singapore to oversee that project and work with the other teams around the world. But that's money they got and now they are obligated to put that game out according to the agreement that they had with Singapore. So that's why they are, no matter what, eventually going to re release some form of Skull and Bones. And they did. But it's like, okay, well, what is is that happening with beyond gooding able to? I don't think so, why is this the project you haven't canceled or scrapped or said that you're restarting. It's like, no, this entire time, you've been working on this project and it's still mostly the game that you promised originally in two thousand and eight, and you know that you've had people sort of sitting there in gridlock and indecisions on they can't decide the scope of it. And that's been the problem. Like people have been on this team actively all this time. What is like who's at the wheel over there at you'd be soft? Who is like looking at who's going making studio visits and and not laying down the wall but like just cracking the whip a little bit and saying like, come on, guys, we really we got to focus up, like let's actually get this work done and make some proggies here and it feels like that just isn't even something that ever happens for decades at a time for these projects. It's bizarre.
Speaker 2: I understand Grub because this has happened to this specific to our website, where smaller teams can generally skate underneath the radar, under like a very big scrutiny. But that only can happen for so long until people realize we've been paying these people white, what are they doing. Oh okay, let's look at what they're doing. Oh okay, cool, keep doing what you're doing. But that can't happen Grub for like decades at a time. Yeah, especially when resources are so finite when it comes to developers and people that made the original Beyond Good and Evil may be more useful somewhere else, or are they using it? Have they been using it as like a pipeline of talent? And unfortunately with Beyond Good and Evil too, it is facing uh not even an uphill battle, Grub. It is the steepest climb. It is the steepest it is the tallest ladder covered in oil to try and climb, because not only are you trying to save Ubisoft's reputation, you're fighting Ubisoft's reputation and also with like the major gaming audience that have been following the development of this game, or lack of updates on this game. There's still the jgls think on it, right, there's still like the joke of like, oh, what's Joseph Gordon Levi had been doing with.
Speaker 1: This game, even though.
Speaker 2: I was sure that his involvement with the game ceased maybe a couple months after that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he probably hasn't even have thought about Beyond Good Evil too, which is a failure on our part. We need to ask him every time we see him. Next time I se him, I'll ask him. Uh yeah, it's like, but yeah, there's so many like weird things that have happened with this game, and and you know, I think it was a weird thing from the beginning because they were like, here is this prequel with this man ape guy and he's gonna be Hoppert. It's gonna be this this space prior game. Like okay, well some of that stuff sounds cool, but why is that Beyond Good and Evil? Can you just make a Zelda clone like you did last time? That worked out pretty well? Like you were the one of the few companies that did that and did it pretty well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we've seen so many instances of Zelda clones or like fantastic third person action games. For as much as this website likes to poop pool on Horizon, Horizon has captured like a very strong and h portion of the gaming audience that I am sure those same people would be interested in a Beyond Good and Evil too. Whatever that's gonna look like?
Speaker 1: What the hell?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: On the hit record dot org website, Beyond Good and Evil to community Collaboration is still up and live and says it's an open project. This has just got be It's got to be sort of a vestige of when this site was actually a going concern. Is hit Record still a thing?
Speaker 2: I can't it's there's a copyright.
Speaker 1: That says twenty twenty four on the bottom of the website, so someone had to update that. At the very least. What the hell that is? Blonkers? Why wouldn't you here take that down?
Speaker 2: Here's what we do, grub. I think the insane idea I'm about to propose is more probable than Beyond Good and Evil two coming out, all right? Joseph Gordon Levitt. He's bound to do another movie soon. Sure, he's like an actor, he's got to do work. Our dear friend, Bailey Myers sometimes gets put on these press junkets to interview people. Oh yeah, next time JGL is out on doing these press junkets, we'll make sure that Bailey Myers gets assigned to it. And then that's the one question she asked.
Speaker 1: And then it's on site with the evil two questions.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, okay, yeah. Does he play games?
Speaker 1: I don't know. He hits record, I don't. I think that's what he does. And then he's he's all being all cute about it. I don't know, all right, And then okay, this this one. Phil Spencer says he has been playing ever Wild while visiting Rare this week. This is from Jonas mackieah game reactor. Jan do you even remember ever Wild at all?
Speaker 2: I had to look it up while we were talking about Beyond Good and Evil and I watched the trailer. Did not remember where the hell I saw this?
Speaker 1: Yes, it was at an Xbox game showcase. I think the first time they started talking about Xbox Series X and S games. I think, so, yes, Everwild is the rare game, not Rare as and you know, you know Rare Limited Sudio, Yes, the studio it had. Okay, let's I'll try to describe this. Trailers a painterly look, kind of open world looking thing, stylized characters of different story, some people that have indigenous vibes in this land. There are monsters they're walking around. The point is it sounds like, okay, well, what is the game? We never really knew? We never really knew, and it sounds like I was told at the time when it was like there was some fault because it was like, Okay, a bunch of these games got announced from all these studios for Xbox, When are any of these coming out? And everyweld was once like, oh, that one might never come out because they didn't even really know what the game was when they announced it and they're still figuring that out now. And also some people that were like very important to that process have left Rare and are doing different things. So maybe someone else will take over that project. Well, you know, if you didn't even know what it was, why would anyone take over that project? Okay? Phil Spencer says he was there and played it after It's much acclaimed announcement five years ago. There's been more or less silence about Rare's upcoming title, ever Wild, and for a long time the rumors about the game were all about development hiccups. Lately, however, it's been the opposite, with the admittedly knowledgeable journalists like Windows Central editor Jess Corden that development of Everwild is going well. A sign that Cordon is right and that things are actually moving forward come from Microsoft's gaming boss himself is Phil Spencer. Phil Spencer via Threads, Spencer announces that he announced that he visited Rare this week and apparently Everwild is now in playable condition, as he also writes, great day at Rare, hanging out with the developers at their desks and playing Everwild. We suspect it may still be a while before we see any tangible evidence of Everwild's status, but it's obviously by no means abandoned. In Spencer reminding us about this is a good sign. Okay, Yeah, you know, there's every reason in the world to be like, just you know, if you didn't know what we were making at the time, you announced it a bit early, that happens. It's not a great look. But I think people are ready to accept that happens sometimes that Microsoft or did happen, and maybe you've learned from that and you won't do that anymore. At the same time, it's equally viable to be like, hey, we announced this thing, sure, we didn't know what it was. Does someone want to stay up and take over and provide their own vision for what this could be? And it sounds like they went that route, and I'm curious. I think Rare has the potential to do stuff that's interesting. They are sort of like Microsoft's weirdish studio, But I don't know, man, it continues to feel very odd to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know, out of the three stories we've just talked about grub, I feel like all of them are in similar levels. Yes, not coming out, yeah, and just kind of being smoke games where it's like, all right, I see it, but I can't really touch it. And this just feels like such an unnecessary statement to put out because you know who in twenty twenty four is thinking about ever Wild, who's on the ever Wild beat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of like, wouldn't the like reappearance of ever Wild an asset at the next Xbox Showcase have been way more effective than Hey, I played Everwild. I mean I guess silent Life. That's there's something to be said for that. I don't think this is a problem that he did this, but it's it just continues to be like, Okay, hey, what could that possibly look?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Why should I care? And you can answer some of those questions with like here's a cool gameplay trailer at the next Xbox showcase Forever Wild, a game that is coming out in early twenty twenty six, Like that's those are all things that like, Okay, we've answered some questions there, and we've given reason to like peak your curiosity. This is just like presenting me with more questions than answers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's more questions. Even doing that grub of putting out a trailer and putting out an arbitrary date, I still feel like isn't helpful, especially with a game that has a history like Everwild, Everwild, Everwild's it doesn't matter because you know, what is the expectation there? Where is the excitement there? Rather be it a concrete thing of like this is coming out in a month, versus this smoke and mirrors approach of saying like no, it's coming out. And I know that we criticize Xbox all the time of not putting out more games, but I don't think you satisfy that criticism by saying I'm playing the game, yeah, coming out.
Speaker 1: It's on the other side of the there's equal criticisms, or may not equal. But also they are criticized often for talking about games too early, when when there's not much the show and we're we're you know there is. We're an industry that gets criticized for being secretive as well, of course, so I guess this a little bit of openness makes sense, but it's you know, we talk about software plus art. It's a complicated business to actually get these products out, and sometimes it begins to feel like we are blowing a little bit of smoke and trying to make the future of the library feel stronger than what it is by you know, puffing up these games that really really there's not much there. So if there's not enough to show this game yet specifically, Ever, while I think if you went there and said, you know, I'm playing something else, or was at a different studio and said I'm playing this game that we all know is going to come out from a studio that you know didn't have these issues, it would maybe be different, But for this one, it's like it probably would have been more effective if you didn't talk about it now, wait until you're ready to actually show it, if that is next year or even longer, whatever, because I you know, tomorrow this game is going to be right back in the same place where it was before in people's minds, which is I will care about this when they give me a reason to care about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Does talking about it now and not have anything prepared to show or a date hurt this game more than letting it just sit in the background of someone's brain, right, Yes, absolutely.
Speaker 1: And then Cyrus or even just said to say, you're playing doomfill and I just remembered that Doom games coming out I think next year, the one that's like the medieval Doom. Holy hell, that game looks so cool. I can't wait, Cad it's next year, Yes, I know. Right right before we move on this section, back when we were talking about Skull and Bones coming out from Singapore at Ett and Chat said, I thought there were strict laws in Singapore against dropping trash, and I thought that was a very good joke, and I just wanted to call it out, so a little bit far. Well done, All right, let's take a quick break. When we come back, plenty more headlines to talk about, including expectations for black Op six on game Pass, a Monster Hunter Beta, and more. Right after this, all right, let's get right back into it, and let's start here with analysts suggests Black Op six could lead to between two point five million and four million new Game Pass subscribers. This is from Chris Scolling at VGC, and the headline's mostly the story. I think. This is from yes Peers Harding Roles, an analyst over at Ampere. He's a chief games analyst, and he expects that there could be as much as a tenber an increase in the number of Game Pass Ultimate subscribers, which makes sense sort of across the board, because Ultimate is the one where you get Xbox Live Gold with that, which it's not called that anymore, but you get that, and then on top of that you get all the bonuses, and so people can if you're gonna need online to play Call Duty any anyhow, people can justify and be like, oh, well, maybe I'll just get Called Duty through that, and then I'll have both, and that takes care of itself. So it's going to be a somewhat easy argument that people can make themselves to justify making that purchase. At least, you know, a temp for enough to represent ten percent growth for a service that has around thirty million subscribers give or take, you know, two to three million at any given time. We talked about this with Lucy yesterday. Jan and I sort of fell into a position where I think, and I think the evidence supports this. I think the way that they talk about it about it supports this. That Microsoft has already basically moved on from game Pass is everything. Game Pass is a part of the strategy. It is important as important as releasing games and hardware and all this other stuff. But the time where I think Phil Spencer and Sati Nadella's reimbursement, their payment was tied to the performance of game Pass, I think that's over because now it'll be tied to how well stuff like Call of Duty performs. And so I think, FIDA six million, what was it two point five to four million? Excuse me. That's good, and they want that, and that is part of the benefit of having Call of Duty. But I think that that doesn't change anything for game Pass now going forward? What do you think?
Speaker 2: It just makes sense that this is one of their attacks grub because they've definitely no matter how many people die hard Xbox fans will argue and try and slide into my replies on any tweet, we'll say that Xbox has deemphasized the actual box and is pushing game Pass one hundred percent more so than the actual console at this point. Yeah, this is going to be a strong injection for game Pass. I just don't know, well, I mean, I guess people will play COD continuously until the next one, yeah, or until their friends bounce off and go to another game, So this is at least a strong injection for the service. I just don't know how do you get those people that are coming to game Pass specifically for COD to check out the other offerings. I mean, like Lucy's example yesterday, it was very telling that she has a family member that is a gamer but was completely unaware of game Pass as a service existing. So I just don't know how do you attack and convert those people that are just coming to a console for COD to stay there for game Pass and let that be another subscription that they choose to pay for because they can get a bunch of games.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think the answer is that, like you know, Microsoft has been a services company for a very long time, and so for a minute there that meant, hey, we game Pass is the service. And I think what happened the second the sixty nine million dollar deal with Activision closed was you know what's a bigger service than game Pass by far is Call Duty. Call of Duty is a service and it's got a bunch of different tiers and prongs and things that we can grow, and it's it's got a service on mobile, and it's got a service on consoles and PC. And then there's the live service aspects of the game that we sell outside of the war Zone, and it makes more money than all this stuff, so you know, and we can combine that with Minecraft and all these other things that we have are operating as services, and those are the platforms. Now, those are the platforms we're focused on, because that's how we see people behaving. They are no longer just coming to Xbox for Xbox games. They are going to Call of Duty because that's the platform that their friends play on. And so we're gonna work going to shift our thinking to embrace that, and I don't think that leaves a ton of space for them to emphasize game Pass the way they once were.
Speaker 2: Where it was if.
Speaker 1: That succeeds, then that is Xbox succeeding. Now it's like, oh yeah, if game Pass grows, that's awesome. But it's growing, and it's growing, but it's growing while Call of Duty is also growing our business elsewhere, So it's going to continue to be this piece of the pie that it already is, which I think Phil Spencer said it's fifteen percent of what they make, and it has been for a while, and they expected to kind of always be that. I think that is exactly where it's going to land.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just think about my own friends and like their gaming habits, and I think they would if they found out that cod the Next Call of Duty was not going to be available for the PlayStation five, which is where they all play Call of Duty now, I think they might look for another game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think they would be incentivized to buy a whole old new console or like get a PC and sign up for game Pass or whatever to check check out the next Call of Duty. I think that audience may start shifting to some other game, and it's interesting that there hasn't been like a worthy competitor to step up to the call of duty play to try and capture that that audience.
Speaker 1: YEP, definitely all right, Now, I got a trio of PSA's kind of just alerts for everybody. First, let's actually there's a quadrilogy. Excuse me. In chat, let's see someone mentioned that the free Godzilla DLC for Day of the Diver is going to get to delisted in one month, So if you download it now you'll continue to have access to it. Or no, if you download it now then you can have access to it, and if you keep it I think on Steam you'll be able to continue to download it as long as you like claim it's I think that's right. But either way, should go get it now. Just go get that free DLC so you don't miss out on it. Next, A Monster Hunter Wild's open beta launches next week with early access for PlayStation Plus members. This is from VGC. Capcom is announced the beta. It's open. It's coming to PS five, Xbox Series, XN S and Steam this month, with early access for PlayStation Plus starting on October twenty eighth. Everyone else. I think it opens October thirty. First. I'm gonna check this out. I think so we're gonna be busy time, a lot of other games coming out, but I am this is the Monster Hunter I fully want to throw myself into. I had some fun with Worlds, with Monster Ota Worlds, monz Arena World and then I never really tried the Switch one Rise. I think, oh, yeah, I know people really like that. I think this one's gonna bring together everything. It's gonna be really good and we'll do some connectivity compadres or whatever and make make the most of it. And I think that would be fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That team has learned the best lessons from Worlds and Rise, and it seems like they're incorporating all of dat into Wild all dat.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna do my shiff with Alan wake to DLC teasing Control two from Blair Marnell at VGC Uh. This is a PSA because they're like this, this might be something you want to like see in context and discover, like you know, discover what it actually is on your own. I did not include the actual details here, uh for fear of spoilers. I know its existence in the game alone, many of you will consider to be a spoiler, but this is maybe. I thought this was the best of both worlds where I can kind of urge you go play it now if you are worried about seeing this outside of the context of Plane the lake House DLC for Alan Wake two. But boy, very cool that they're teasing Control too. I am like more and more every day, thinking, God, I really liked Control.
Speaker 2: That was good. Yeah. Yeah, Control is fucking amazing. Huh. I have no time to check out the lake House, but I really want to check out the lake House, I know, right. Also, friend of the site, Janina is in it. Yeah, I see. I'm a homegirl to get the work, and I'm excited.
Speaker 1: I'm excited too. And you know, it looked good. It looked good and what they showed, you know.
Speaker 2: What, it's spooky enough. Maybe Monday I'll fire it up or something we'll do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll have some We have like four days next week leading into Halloween, right, so yes, we could do some spooky stuff next week. Finally, Star Wars Outlaws got its biggest update yet. I believe this is from Jonas Mackie, a game reactor, Star Wars Outlaws didn't get the ratings to developers were hoping for, nor the sales you be Selft was hoping for, But fortunately they have no plans to give up on their new adventure. Instead, they are working hard to improve it according to the community's wishes and polishing off various technical shortcomings. Now it's time for another update number one point three, and in the huge patchless we find, among other things, better stealth features, smarter NPC enemies, more frequent auto save, better checkpoints, and also technical improvements like more stability and less frame rate drops. That's kind of like that's the the Murderer's Row. Therefore, the things people wanted to improved, So if those things are significantly better, the game should be much better for most most people. Again, I think that the pain points early on are going to be those the stealth sections for some people, and they already did lighten those a little bit, made them a little bit easier, And if they're improving the gameplay itself, I think that's kind of be nothing but a big help to get people into the meat of that game, which is going from planet to plant, talking to different you know, scoundrels. Things like that kind of just stumbling across card games. That's the stuff that was really working for that. So, yeah, the instant failed stealth sucks, says Bungus in chat. That was the stuff that really seemed to turn off a ton of people. They're just like, why am I don't want to put up with this Ubi stuff? What are you doing? They have toned that down a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think the holiday season grub is going to be a good injection of new eyeballs for this game, especially hearing all the positive buzz that has come out since and then hearing all the updates that the devs have put into adjust things that I think Outlaws will have a second life during the holidays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, NPC oh, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Also, unfortunately, if it goes on discount during Black Friday and the holidays, then that is fulfilling like the Ubisoft.
Speaker 1: Yes, the prophecy. Yeah yeah, the Prophecy. Uh, it's inevitable, yeah, npc ai. That was also some of the people really were really annoyed about They looked they just looked dumb. They would just do dumb stuff constantly and look helpless. So if they can just improve that stuff a little bit here and there. I think it'll make a big difference to most people. Yeah, coming to Steam in November, and I think there will be another big update at that time, and I bet there will be a pretty decent sale not long after that as well for this game. So yeah, keep your eyes piled for this game. All right. That does it for the news that I have here in front of me. Let's get to the poll question. I'm gonna get that set up because I was showing off those ever while videos instead, So this pool is gonna be over there.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 1: Okay, did you play Prince of Persia The Lost Crown? Two point seven thousand people voted. Sixty six percent said no, thirty four percent said yes. So one third of respondents say they played this. Uh, you know, there's always gonna be somewhat of a selection bias where the people that didn't play it might not even vote, but I don't know you bake that in for these kinds of results. A third of respondents saying they did play it is pretty good, So maybe it was more than I was expecting. I think, of course, I would want more people to play it, but yeah, it's boy, it's real good. I hope more people actually do end up doing exactly that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wholeheartily agree. It really stinks for that team because it's a solid game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and especially you know, they pitched a sequel and they had more they wanted to do, and I bet that would have been really cool. Since someone in Chad earlier are also mentioned, it's like, well, just take that team and making a different metro advenue, make a splinter Cell sites rolling metro venue. I'm like, oh, yeah, that would be all like shadow complex, that would rule. But yeah, well we're not gonna get that stuff. We're gonna get a ray Man game, which I also am excited for, so if it ever comes out, we'll see. Got a new pole question. We'll get to that here in a second. Before we do that, Jan, what do we have happening on Giant Bomb for the rest of the week where people on the internet as well and all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: Later today, we're going to do a Connectivity compadres. We're going to play Echo Point Nova as well as a voicemail dump truck later today, tomorrow another episode of Game Mess Mornings, as well as the Astrobot Invitational two, and we're going to cap off the week doing a BCR, doing the Mount rushmore of Spooky game and folks, if you haven't seen the plans, we've announced our extra life plans for the most part. Some more GB members GB Family members may fill in the miscellaneous remaining slots as the week progresses. Yep, it's.
Speaker 1: Plenty of fun stuff. It's gonna be a good time. Turn it, tune in for all of it, all right, new poll question, which of these games do you think you'll be playing? First ever? Wild from Rare, Beyond Good and Evil Too, a new Rayman, or none of these will ever come out? Those are your four options. You can go vote on YouTube dot com, slash at Giant Bomb. There's a community tab there you click on that you can vote. We'll get the results talk about it on the show tomorrow. Speaking of tomorrow, we'll have Tam back. I believe Tam should be on the show tomorrow for Dregs Day. Yeah, I'm looking forward to see more people talking about that Nintendo playtest, looking forward to any other news that comes out. But yeah, in the meantime, how many people want playing a lot more astro Jan. That's that's what I gotta do.
Speaker 2: Gotta do it. That's your lake house.
Speaker 1: That's my lake house. That's right, that's Genea Cavon Carr was in there yelling at me and but like go faster, go found, Like all right, Genina, I'll do what I can, all right, Jan thank you so much haranging out with me today and talking about video games. Man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: It's the only way to start a Thursday grub.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for watching, thank you all for listening. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself, and goodbye, bye bye.