Speaker 1: KFI AM six forty. You're listening to Dean Sharp, the House Whisper on demand.
Speaker 2: On the iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to home where every week we help you better understand that place where you live. I am Dean Sharp, the House Whisperer, here with you live like I am every weekend Saturday morning, six to eight Pacific time, Sunday mornings nine to noon Pacific time. Welcome to our fine little program. Welcome to the beginning of the third hour of our fine little program. We are talking today having a discussion about stuff in your home that you are tempted to say it was this way when we bought it. You kind of apologetically are expressing that you know this thing is wrong, but it was somebody else who did it. So what do you do when you inherit somebody else's mistake on your home and specifically how to fix them. So we're moving through a list. Obviously, I'm not going to be able to cover every imaginable mistake somebody else has made to your home, but we're moving through some of the biggies as we do this morning, helping you out along the way, giving you some insights, and we're going to return to that conversation in just a bit. But right now we're at the top of the hour and we're going to be going to the phones. However, right before we do that, I want to remind you that coming up in just a couple of weeks the House Whisper Holiday Home Show. I know, there's been an election, there's been all sorts of craziness, there's been fires, there's been you know, it's November. It's time for us all to start looking toward the holidays, to get into that holiday spirit, that holiday mood. And there is no better way to do it if you're a fan of our show then to come and have a little holiday party with us right down in the iHeart Studios in Burbank Sunday, November twenty fourth. We are going to be doing this show this Sunday show from nine to noon, live as we do, in front of a live studio audience, and I would love for you to be in that audience with us, because we're gonna be hanging out in between breaks, We'll be talking, we'll be just gonna be a great time. There's gonna be refreshments for you, We're gonna have a few special guests with me and Al dick Holme, who is sponsoring the entire show. They're gonna be decorating one of their incomparable seven and a half foot Christmas trees right in front of everybody's eyes there during the show. They're going to be talking about home decor during the show, and one of those lucky audience members, maybe you will get to take that tree home with you. That is an unbelievable thing, because these are the best Christmas trees on planet Earth. I kid you not. So anyway, that's all happening Sunday, November twenty fourth. We're going to be in the helpful Honda Lounge on the fifth floor of iHeart Studios in Burbank. Not a big venue, very cozy, very intimate, a lot of fun, big enough for us to have a nice studio audience. But I can't take everybody. So here's what you do. You go to our social media. You go to Instagram or Facebook. We're on both Home with Dean Boom. Find us there. If you are not already following us, you should be and share it with all of your friends as well, of course, but you will find attached right to the top of that stream the Holiday Home Show post it's all blinky and lovely and looking all holiday ish. Jump down, leave a comment and leave make it very clear in the comment. Hi, it's me and I want to come to the show. And we've got this weekend and next weekend and after next Sunday show there will be no more opportunities to enter, and we will be selecting those people who will be with us in the audience on that day. So act now. Go ahead, Instagram or Facebook, leave a comment and and tell us Hey, I want to be in the show, and hopefully, fingers crossed, you'll get selected as we go.
Speaker 2: All right, So there you go, that's happening.
Speaker 1: Make sure you get over to our social media home with Dean and set your request to be a considered to be part of the studio audience.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Let us now go back to the phones. Who are we going to talk to today? Let's talk to Sharon. Hey, Sharon, welcome home.
Speaker 3: Hi, good morning. I have two material type building questions. We're in the design stage of an ADU edition. It's not going to be freestand it's it's going to be connected to the house under our current deck and so the roof of the addition, a b U will be the also the deck of our living normal living space. So noond what type of materials will that we have options for that will look good and also be economically good?
Speaker 1: All right, I heard that right at the end, also economically good.
Speaker 2: So what is the deck? Now?
Speaker 3: It's it's a wooden it's wood deck, and it's it's we've repaint, we've repainted it. It's it's not great, right, So it's a good.
Speaker 1: Plank deck and it's not waterproof because the water just drains right through because there's nothing under it. So it doesn't have to be right, just a kind of standard woodplank deck. Now you're going to build a room underneath it, so what you really need is a roof. You have to have a roof top of the room, right, So we need a water proof deck slash roof in order to cover the ADU. And so okay, so the so the the key word in what you said there was economical.
Speaker 3: Uh, And.
Speaker 1: Ultimately the best looking economical deck would be something where the both the waterproofing material and the esthetic of the deck are kind of one and the same. Okay, that's going to be the biggest cost savings, and so you make sure number one when that is when that deck is rebuilt, you know, the we're just going to call it the roof the roof deck, that it has the proper slope on it because it's no longer it can't be perfectly flat anymore because it's not shedding it right now the water runs through. Now it's got to shed water. There has to be a proper slope built into it. And then you could use a material like a fiberglass, build up waterproofing material on top. And it's really the right decking companies that there are some decking companies that can do some pretty beautiful things in the finished surface of the fiberglass, and we can make it look like stone, we can make it look like wood planking. It's a simulation, you know, not gonna pull any punches. It's a simulation. But there are some pretty attractive fiberglass decking materials. And because it is both the waterproofing of the deck and the finished surface itself, it's probably the least expensive way to go. Okay, Now from there you would step up to worrying about getting a waterproofing membrane over that room and which you could do with a waterproofing roofing membrane material not an esthetically pleasing decking material. And then on top of that, you could do something like rebuild the wood deck. You could have a flat wood deck coming out that lets water drop through, hits the sloped roof below it, and it runs off appropriately. Or you could build a waterproofing membrane and put stone or exterior tile or a material like that on that deck that it becomes the esthetic protecting covering. But all of these things that I'm talking about now the price tag is going up. Now they are more beautiful, ultimately, more natural, and more pleasing, and that's where you're going to have to decide. So I think as you start the design process with it, what you need to do is do a little investigating, Maybe send the plan for that deck out over to a couple of fiberglass decking companies and saying, hey, what can you do with this? Well, let's see what and what's it going to cost me for you to waterproof this and make it esthetically pleasing at the same time. And similarly, we can talk to your builder. Do you have a builder right now or are you going to be acquiring a.
Speaker 3: Building no builder, Yeah, we'll acquire when not yet, So then you could also be talking to.
Speaker 2: You know, the.
Speaker 1: Well, when you're talking to builders, we could be talking about the materials that would go into let's say, covering this over with a new deck so esthetically it looks like it does now, except new and better, or using stone or tile, and just you know, you're going to have to weigh the cost versus the benefit for you. But the least expensive way you could go would be with the fiberglass with a specialized finish on it.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. Yeah. One other question I had was we visited where we stayed in Airbnb in Spain and the bathroom was all one surface, the floor, the shower, the walls. It kind of looked like a cement plaster mixed. It was obviously water resistant, and I'm curious what that was and is that effective?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there can be. We can do rooms with a concrete like surface in them. Sometimes it's literally the concrete of the slab and the bathroom is designed that way to be all one surface and it's just going to be an attractively aesthetically sealed and treated concrete. Other times, even on the second floor, we can make a room look like concrete on the surface and glaze it so that it all feels like concrete, but it's up on the second floor, and it's essentially a specialized kind of covering treatment that pours in and that we travel into place. That's a little bit more intensive because we've got to make sure that the giving of the floor underneath it doesn't cause it to crack or anything like that. But it can be done. All of these things can be done pretty much these days, Sharon. If you can dream it, it can be achieved. It's just a question of how big the check is that gets written to.
Speaker 3: You know, I thought it was a nice modern look, and of course you wouldn't have your grout lines to worry about. But yeah, yeah, it's a.
Speaker 2: Nice modern look.
Speaker 1: But also without going to all that trouble, you could also achieve that with a large format tile porcelain tile with minimal groutline meaning and when I say large format, I mean four foot by eight foot or four foot by four foot tiles with the almost zero grout line edges to them. That's another way of eliminating grout lines from a bathroom floor. So there's so many options. Let me just encourage you that you're in the right phase right now. Don't rush to construction. Consider all of these things and all these possibilities, and continue to educate yourself because you don't want to be slapping your head later saying, oh, why didn't even think about doing that? Consider them, even the things that seem out of reach, and in the end you'll make your budgetary decisions and you'll know, Okay, we didn't do that for these four reasons. That's why we're doing this, and you're going to be content with it and you're going to be pleased with the results overall. Just don't miss out on something that's out there that you've settled for something else and you didn't bother to educate yourself on Sharon, I got to go. Thank you for your call. Good luck on that ADU and the deck. I'm sure it's going to be beautiful when you're done. Just keep your eyes open and remember design matters most all, Right, y'all when we come back, more of your call, Yeah, I think I'm going to take at least one more call as we go. You're home with Dean Sharp the house Whisper.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us on the program today. We're talking about the stuff in your home that you like to say it was this way when we bought it, inheriting somebody else's mistakes. We're going to get back to that conversation in just a bit, but right now I want to take at least one more call today because we've got so many calls on the board.
Speaker 2: Who's it going to be.
Speaker 1: I'm going to disappoint a lot of people and makes one person very happy.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Let's just just hold I'm just going to cover my eyes and throw a dart at the board. All right, let's talk to Joseph. Hey, Joseph, welcome home.
Speaker 5: Hi did before I my question about plumbing, I wanted to tell you how we impressed time. I am with your landscape in knowledge. I am landscaper for over forty years and I'm still learning. And actually I think you should be called the home whisperer instead of house whisperer, because you knew about everything before the house. You know. Actually, actually it's about plumbing, and I have an L shaped house. If you look at from a bird's eye, view. I have a longside and a shorter side like an L, and I installed a little recirculating little pump to have the hot water instantly the long side of the L. At the end of it, I installed the lost faucett, but I still have cold water is coming on the short side. So my question is is it okay to install another little pump on the short side. I won't have a kind of cross plumbing problem with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, In fact, it was exactly what I was going to suggest. You've got an L shaped house, and what you've done is you've put a recirculation pump and a little bridge valve at the far far fawcet down at the far end of the L. And what that has done is it has allowed the recirculation pump to draw hot water down through the lines and without wasting it, like just turning on the faucet and wasting it. You draw hot water down those lines. And what it's doing is while the water is still cold, it's pushing that water into the cold water line, which means it's still your water ready to be used as cold water. And of course the research pump will turn off when the hot water actually gets there. Because it'll sense it, the bridge valve will shut off. It's a brilliant little device, inexpensive way to getting hot water much much closer to the faucets that are most importan to you. And also, by the way, not just a gimmick. It is literally required on major remodels and new builds here in California. Now that we do exactly that. But you've got an L shaped house, and if you think of your plumbing system like a like the branches on a tree, You've got all the main trunk and branches heading off down the big side of the L, but you have a few branches heading off down the short side, and you can do the exact same thing. It's not going to adversely affect your plumbing. You don't have to replumb the whole house. You can just pick again the FURTHEST branch down the FURTHEST sink down the short side, install another research pump and another bridge valve right there, and you'll have the same effect. And for those of you who are listening and thinking, Okay, I get that for that sink, but how does this help everything else? Well, because because when we do it on the furthest sink it's drawing that hot water down past all the other sinks and fixtures on the way getting there, so everybody benefits. All of the other sinks and fixtures benefit on the way to the furthest thing. You do that on each extreme, on both ends of the L and Joseph, Yeah, you'll end up with hot water. It's not gonna be instant hot water. You already know that it's not instantaneous. Like the second you turn the faucet on, boom, there's the hot water. But we're talking about hot water showing up in a couple of seconds versus a couple of minutes, and that is a massive, massive difference and also a huge savings in water. Joseph, thank you so much for your question. Thank you for your very very kind words about just what we're doing here. Keep listening. I promise more good stuff coming as we go. All right, y'all, we are going to get back to our conversation on the stuff you've inherited, the mistakes from previous owners of your home. It was this way when we bought it. Right after Eileen Gonzalez gives us the news.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on Demand from KFI AM sixty.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us on the program. We are having a conversation today about the things you've inherited in your home, somebody else's mistakes, and how to fix them. The kind of stuff you look at and say it was this way when we bought it. Please don't look too much at that thing. I want to help you actually do something about them. That's why we've been covering some of these major issues, and I've been handing out not just pointing them out, but giving you some solutions along the way.
Speaker 2: I hope.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about something in the bathroom again real quick. How about if you happen this is you, by the way, if you live in an eighties or nineties house, this is most likely your situation, not if you live in an older home, but most likely in eighties or nineties house. How about that massive jetted tub platform in your primary bathroom, you know the one I'm talking about. It's huge, It's got a big old kind of spa tub I say jetted tub, like a chikuzi kind of tub sitting in there. You never use it, and it is taking up some serious real estate in your bathroom. That was a mistake in my opinion, by the builders themselves. But hey, what can we say? It was an era that happily in that regard has passed us.
Speaker 2: So what do we do?
Speaker 1: Because you know it's a deal and it looks so solid. Well, I'm just going to very simply tell you that if you've got a remodel planned for this bathroom, it is not solid. It is a framed just wood framing and tile and or stone on top of it. That thing can come out, and it can come out fast. And that's good news, right. The thing about them when you kind of look at them, I even remember the ads, seeing the ads in like design magazines back in the day. You know, it's always got this woman with her hair up in her bubble bath and you know, a glass of wine and she's relaxing with her eyes closed, and it just looks so luxurious and spake. And I'm all for a luxurious, spawlike bathroom, and I'm all for you enjoying a soaking tub as well. But here's the thing, a jetted tub with big steps leading up to it. Okay, that's a massive waste of space in order to get that experience done. Also, the jetted tub, I've always laughed about this as somebody who has you know, had to work with them in the past. That whole serene scene, that beautiful. You could imagine soft music playing and maybe all the lights are off except for a couple of candles, and then you press the button to activate the jets, and the bubbles blow all over the place because the water becomes turbulent, and instead of the soft music and the serenity, you hear the sound of the jet blower blowing in the bathroom, and you know what, that's just enough to end the whole experience. It's different when you're in a spa tub outside, right, you just kind of expect. First of all, you're not in an echo chamber, and secondly, you know.
Speaker 2: The noise of that.
Speaker 1: It's just kind of accepted that that's one of the things that's going to happen. Okay, But inside the enclosed space of a bathroom, no, no, Now that's a mistake.
Speaker 2: It really is. So what do.
Speaker 1: We do, well, we get rid of it, and as in getting rid of it, what do we end up with more space, more room for the vanity to grow, more room for the shower to grow, or maybe we just reallocate some of that space for a soaker tub, a non jetted soaker tub. Okay, but Dean, I really want the water hot. Well, the heat of the water in the tub has nothing to do with needing to recirculate the water to keep it hot. It just means having a nice, well insulated tub and bringing that hot water in quickly, which means when you replumb the bathroom, instead of a half inch water line hot water line to that tub like you would run to your faucets, you make sure that that's a three quarter inch hot water line into that tub so that that that tub fills up fast with piping hot water, and as a result, the filling process does not have take so long as by the time the tub gets full, the water has gone lukewarm on you. All right, So there you go. Little secret about plumbing a luxurious spa bathroom experience. The tub always gets a big soaker tub, meaning the tub always gets a three quarter inch water line a hot water line feeding it, instead of the half inch lines that are running to the shower or the faucets. It makes a world of difference. Trust me, you can do the math figure out the massive flow of a three quarter inch line radically different than a half inch line. Doesn't sound like it, but it is, it really is. Okay, moving on something a little bit more pedantic. Dipping, sloping or spongy floor never acceptable, never acceptable.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, obviously a spongy floor needs to be investigated. We got to dig in there. We've got to find out why it is spongy. I'm not expecting this is the case if you're living on a slab, obviously, but a second floor and a floor is spongy, Or if you have a raised foundation and the floor is spongy when you walk on it's just feeling a little strain spongy, then we've got to get into the joists and figure out what's going on there. It could simply be a breaking down of the sheathing, meaning the layer on top the plywood, or the the you know, if you live in a really old home, those one by six slats that are traveling across your floor at a forty five degree angle. It could just be that, but it may indicate that there's something else wrong as well, and we need to get into it, and we need to take a look at it and end the sponginess. Okay, A dipping floor or a sloping floor. Let's talk about a dipping floor. Well, let's talk about both. Either one could be an indicator of a structural problem that's happening. Okay, so we can't overlook that. We need to take a serious look at it. If a floor is sloped, it may mean that the foundation has sunk somewhat. It may means it may mean it was framed poorly to begin with. If the floor is dipping, it may mean that we've got a joist failure right the structure of the floor underneath. It may mean that the slab was poured poorly, or just those joists have sagged over the years and now we have a dip. So first step is to make sure that from an engineering point of view, there's nothing systemically wrong. Okay, So let's say we do that. Let's say an engineer comes out and says, Yeah, this corner of the house has sloped, but it's not dipping any further. We don't know why it is sloped, but it's not going any further. We don't see any problems, we don't see any ongoing issues. We don't think it's going to go anymore. You just have an outer level floor or an engineer has said, yeah, the joicte have sagged, but they're still doing their job and they're just sagging. In those cases, we can come in with some very lightweight self leveling compound. We can strip off all the materials on the floor. This stuff pours out like a kind of like runny pancake batter, and we run it all over the floor its self levels. You don't trowl it because it literally will find its own level, as liquids do. And you know, within an hour or two it sets up like a resonancy POxy finish. And guess what. Now the floor is not dipping and it's not sagging, and the floor, even if the technically the room has sunk some in one corner, the floor is now not doing it. And that is usually a relatively quick, relatively inexpensive fixed to what is esthetically a major problem. And so there you go. There's no excuse in a twenty first century home environment for a dipping, a sloping, or a spongy floor. Okay, does that make sense?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: When we come back, very quick advice on bumps and ridges in walls and ceilings and what can be done about it? I know, I know it was that way when you bought it. The question is do you want to do something about it? I'll tell you how hang tight.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 1: Here we are approaching the end of yet another three hours spent together, so many things that we did not touch on today. I got some news for you in that regard in just a second, but I wanted to at least hit one more topic before we're out of here today, and that is lumps and bumps and ridges in walls and ceilings inside your home. The kind of stuff you're like, listen, it was that way when we bought the house. Or maybe maybe you made the bold move and you're like, we're taking the acoustic popcorn stuff off of our ceilings, only to find.
Speaker 2: What was that acoustic.
Speaker 1: Hiding a wavy, crazy, bumpy, lumpy, ridgey kind of ceiling. Yeah, actually, that's what acoustic ceiling was invented to do. No, it was not invented by the name to reduce the echo in a room. That was just basically a marketing ploy saying why you needed this stuff? But what really? You never needed it? The builder needed it because they wanted to build your house faster and they didn't want to take the time or spend the money to straighten out those ceilings or have the drywall or do the same. That's the way it is. So this is the truth. So here's what you do when it comes to ceilings and walls. If a ridge or a bump in a ceiling or a wall is really getting on your nerves, then open up the drywall to the studs on each side of the stud in question. Because it's a stud or a ceiling joist that's dripping down or too high up, arcing too high, that's bent in one direction or another in a weird way, open up the drywall, floor the ceiling or across the ceiling. And this is a if it's a severe one, and simply I wouldn't say shave it. In terms of a ceiling joist, you could add a sister choice to it and then shave the bottom because we don't want to lose its structural integrity. But if it's just a matter of shaving a stud, then shave the stud down with a planer or have a handy person or a contractor do this to flatten it out. Now, Most of the time we don't have to go to that extreme. Most of the time you can hire a good quality dry waller to come in and actually float the rest of the walls feather out and float with drywall mud. Drywall mud can cover a multitude of sins. It's not going to be a super cheap fix, but it can be the fix that resolves the craziness of the whole ceiling, if not all of it one hundred percent ninety plus percent and make a huge difference on a ceiling.
Speaker 2: Or a wall.
Speaker 1: Dry Wall mud added at certain levels, Is that a thing, Dean? Will that hold up?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 1: On high end estate homes, we coat all the walls in a thick layer of drywall mud just to give it a finished, perfect plaster effect. It's called a Type five drywall finish. And of course when we're building new we have a little bit more control over the studs and stuff. But with Steven, though we have all that control, we still find them from time to time and that's how we resolve it. So call a drywaller, have them come out, have them give you a price for smoothing that stuff out, because you know what it's just if it's getting in the way of you enjoying a room. If it's something that you apologize for, at least get a price on what it would take to get it resolved. Now, a lot of you this morning have been commenting, Dan Dean, I love this topic, and I know you have more on your list. Please please give us more. You know what, all right, we will next weekend. I'm going to do part two of this same series because there are a lot more of these conditions and I know you're hungry to hear about it. So next week Part two of it was this way when we bought it, so you can look forward to that both Saturday and Sunday, because it's a big list and you know what, you deserve to hear about the problem that you're struggling with in your house. And I'll tell you this in between now and then in between now and the next program, if you want to email me at the station or leave a comment on social media, then go ahead and tell me, hey, how about this problem that I inherited? And I'll do my best to see if we can't address it directly on the next program. How does that sound. That's just a deal between you and me to help all right, one more reminder social media, Facebook and Instagram. Right at the top of a Home with Dean you will find the holiday home show post. That's where you go leave a comment saying Dean, I want to be part of that studio audience, and boom, you are entered to win a seat there. That's coming up a couple of weeks from now, on November twenty fourth. Okay, here we are. I'm going to leave you with this thought today, and for those of you who follow us on social media, you're probably gonna want to go and at least see what I'm talking about here, because there's a visual element here that would help out. I have a couple of tattoos every few days, somebody a cashier at a store, a stranger, somebody I'm waiting in line with, somebody sitting at a table next to us at a restaurant, or a new client. Someone every once in a while asked me about my tattoos. Here they are right there, I see those. I only have two, but they're on my forearms, so they're pretty easy to spot, and it's not like they're weird. But they also aren't what you might call typical, so they occasionally pique somebody's curiosity to the point of saying something. And I never intended to get a tattoo, but my father, who had several of his own, always wanted me to get one, and something in me knew I would eventually want to honor him in that way. But I resisted for a long time because they knew that it would need to mean, I mean, really mean a lot to me. And that day finally came, sadly long after my father passed away, but I still did that to honor him. My tattoos are unique because I drew them myself, and I've always been fascinated with the simplest, most primal forms of art because of how straightforwardly symbolic it can be. So these are based on images that I found in a book of ancient Hopie petroglyphs cave carvings. Literally, I fell in love with the idea of the mystery of life being portrayed as a whirlwind. So on one arm is my relationship with life, life with a capital L. And on the other is that same life being shared in relationship with other people. Those are my two great commandments, my guiding principles, my life priorities to love life and to love people. So with that said, now that you know more about me than you ever asked to know or wanted to know, at the end of yet another week in this always mysterious and often tumultuous whirlwind, I will leave you with a suggestion about what could be your priorities this week. And it is very, very simply this love life, love others, because at the end of the day, there's really not that much more to get done.
Speaker 2: I hope you have a great week. I hope you have a great Sunday afternoon. We will see you right back here next weekend from r II this way when we bought it. Then out there and get building yourself a beautiful.
Speaker 1: This has been Home with Dean Sharp the House Whisper. Tune into the live broadcast on KFI AM six forty every Saturday morning from six to eight Pacific time and every Sunday morning from nine to noon Pacific time, or anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.