Speaker 1: With technique of the week. I wanted to start out on egg substitutes. What do eggs do in baking? And if you need to make something and you either don't have eggs, maybe you can't eat eggs or you can't find them for some reason. So if you're looking for a good substitute for baking, and again, you could be watching your cholesterol.
Speaker 2: Although talk to your doctor. I'm not a doctor.
Speaker 1: Most recent studies show that cholesterol food cholesterol does not change your actual cholesterol to the degree that they once thought, and eggs are always getting beat up for that. But anyways, once again, not a doctor, just a guy with a brain between his ears. Plenty of great egg alternatives out there. You might be surprised by some of them, so some people swap them out for different reasons, dietary allergies, lifestyle choices, whatever it is. Right now, you've got the rise of the price of eggs very unpredictable. In addition to the cost of eggs going up, what always happens is a run on something I think Trader Joe's, Costco.
Speaker 2: All these places.
Speaker 1: Are limiting how many you can get at a time, how many cartons of eggs you can get at a time. So regardless of the reason why you have to change an ingredient, maybe you just don't have it on hand. Eggs are one of those things that you should know how to swap them out. It's not always going to be perfect, and different usages or different solutions how about that are going to be better for certain recipes and less good for others. So you'll kind of work through it as you learn. So eggs, what are they used for in baking? There for a few couples. They bind things together, right, we use them for binding. We do this for you know, if you're going to be putting flour on the outside of something, flour and your spices like fried chicken.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of.
Speaker 1: Reasons why you might bind breading or breadcrumbs to the outside of something. They create a great texture, They add air, light, fluffy results come from using eggs. These qualities are key when you're making baked goods. They create structure so that air can get inside to make crunch or airy, pillowy goodness. So a couple of things to try is now you'll know what this is, but you probably won't recognize it by this name. Aquafaba. Now Aquafaba is the liquid if you've ever gotten canned chicken. It's that cloudy ish liquid that's in canned chickpeas. That stuff is golden. Never throw it out, especially if you're making your own. Your own hummus is the word I was looking for. Thank you, Neil, hummus. If you're making your own hummus, you want to keep that because instead of thinning it out with water, you want that aquafaba. It is silky and smooth and wonderful, super versatile. You can whip it into a foam. It's great for cakes and meringues. Use three tablespoons of that aqua faba for each egg, and you start learning these ratios, and that's how you're going to build your your arsenal of what to separate and what to substitute. Flax Seed eggs. Flax seed's interesting. Flax Seed meal when you mix it with water, creates this kind of gel like texture. Might be a little creepy sometimes, but great for binding ingredients and muffins, stuffing those.
Speaker 2: Types of things.
Speaker 1: And you make an egg equivalent by combining one tablespoon of flax seed meal with three tablespoons of water. You let it sit for a few minutes so that it imbibes in the flax seed meal and then it starts getting that kind of slick, that slick kind of.
Speaker 2: It's so weird, quite honestly. It is a little gelatin like loose gelatin. Like I'm trying to find words.
Speaker 1: That aren't that don't sound gross, and I guess my brain still fighting the crud, can not come on anything. Yeah, they're they're just slick and a little slimy, but so is an egg and as an egg, right, so it combines and that's kind of purpose there. So that's how you do it. To make a one egg equivalent combined one tablespoon a flax seed meal with three tablespoons of water. You let it sit for a few minutes and that's gonna take care of you.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've got some more when we come back our technique of the week. I know there's a shortage of sorts with eggs. They're incredibly, incredibly expensive right now when you think of it comparatively to what they've been, when you think of the amount of protein you get for an egg. I mean some places, you you know, twelve bucks, they're like a buck and egg in some places. Your average right now is probably nine dollars a carton or something like that for a curtain of twelve. I may be off a little bit there, quite honestly. My wife does the shopping most days. I used to the stone is more as much as I used to. Sorry, Sue me, I know I'm the four reporter. I should to the shopping AnyWho. It actually is pretty good when you think of the protein and what you're getting Vitamin win is from an egg. But I know we do it comparatively to what they used to be. We're talking about eggs for Technique of the Week, talking about eggs substitutes.
Speaker 2: There's a lot going on with eggs.
Speaker 1: I'm going to get it into the details of all that coming up, prices. When can we see relief if we're going to at all, why is it that we see it in eggs and not necessarily in poultry, in you in the chickens themselves, when it comes to rotisseri or buying a whole chicken or rub parts. I'll get into all that, but I wanted to start with substitutes because that kind of is more in line with Technique of the Week. So we went through some and I'm going to move forward. Another one that you can use, another item in your kitchen that you can use to substitute eggs if you need to for baking, is over ripe bananas. So if you mash half of one, it's about a quarter cup that'll replace one egg. Now, for brownies or cakes, it works out perfectly, lovely. It gives a little bit of that fruity, fruity flavor, but they're sweet. You've get extra potassium in there, so as long you don't have heart issues you worry about, that's a great thing and works wonderfully. Bananas aren't truly neutral as far as their their flavor, but that kind of creamy fattiness vibe is quite helpful and it works out nice in a brownie, ear cake. Non dairy yogurts, so non dairy yogurts like made out of soy or almond, some even are cashew based.
Speaker 2: They're creamy and they wait.
Speaker 1: They work very well as egg substitutes, and you use a quarter cup for each egg.
Speaker 2: Now, if somebody's just.
Speaker 1: Tuning in right now, don't I don't want you to think that I'm talking about making an almond or something that's not what these are for. What they are for is to use in baking, to substitute in baking. There that's really where you're going to get the best out of these things. All right, little non dairy yogurt. There are some eggs substitutes that are there for different reasons. Let's say they're there for people that can't do eggs and that could be their analogy or something like that, or vegans and the like. People that live a plant based diet don't any of those things. They still you are good for use in a case like this. If you're looking for the protein of eggs, or you're looking to bake something and you need some of the structure, you can use things like just egg. It's a plant based product. It's designed to taste, to cook, and to look like real eggs. It works great and everything from baking. You can the thing with some of these. You can use them as scrambles, you can use them as an omelet. It's about three to four tablespoon equals an actual egg. So keep that in your head and you should be just vundebah for that.
Speaker 2: All right. Apple sauce, now I've loved this.
Speaker 1: Apple sauce is moist it's sweet, so it does add the moisture that's something more fatty, like an egg wood a little bit of sweetness to it. And these things work very nicely. So it's easy to keep in your pantry. If it's not opened, its shelf stable and then you put it in the fridge. Works well to keep that moisture in, like I said, and that's one of the reasons why we use fat, yes for structure, but also for moisture. So you use a quarter cup for each egg unsweat is best. If you want to try and hit that neutral flavor, you can use cinnamon. They make cinnamon apple sauce if you want to kick up that particular flavor in your baked goods.
Speaker 2: Could be really nice. You know.
Speaker 1: Let's say you're making like a I don't know, a spice muffin or something like that or that type of thing works out great. Silk and tofu Now it's a great option. It adds proteins. It can do the binding of ingredients together that eggs are so good at. Perfect for things like a cheesecake. You pureate about you pure about a quarter cup. You see how this is kind of with some of those moist softer ingredients. A quarter cup kind of hits it. That replaces one egg. Back in the flax seed type category, chia seeds.
Speaker 2: You don't know what they are, chuc cha cha chia, chut chut chu chia, those seeds, so chia seeds. They're full of nutrients and they're really great. They make that gel as well like flax seed when mixed with water. Healthy alternative if you're gonna put them in your morning muffins or casseroll or something like that. So mix one tablespoon of chia seeds again like the flax seeds, with three tablespoons of water, and that makes a chia egg a substitute for that. There's also a brand called ener hyphen G Egg replacer. It's again one of these egg replacers for plant based people, that types of things. So one box can replace about one hundred eggs, so that's pretty darn good. Works good in cookies, works good in bread. Each egg. You want to.
Speaker 1: Mix one and a half tablespoons of powder with one tablespoon of warm water. Another thing is canned pumpkin. You can often find can canned pump a little canned pumpkin. It'll work good for the proper things like as spice cake about a quarter cup each for an egg replacement. Cornstarch good common kitchen ingredient can help.
Speaker 2: Bind baked goods.
Speaker 1: Custards, puddings mix one tablespoon of cornstarch three tablespoons of water to replace an egg. Vinegar and baking soda is an interesting one, so you know the science experiment combining vinegar with baking soda. So baking soda being sodium bicarbonate reacts to acid. Vinegar as the acid, it creates the bubbly, bubbly goodness. It can work as an egg substitute in certain six circumstances where you're using it to make things fluffy. So bread biscuits fre each egg, combine one teaspoon of baking soda with one tablespoon of vinegar and that should take care of you.
Speaker 2: Just keep in mind some.
Speaker 1: Of these are going to work really well with certain situations and not as well with others.
Speaker 2: You're going to have to experiment