Speaker 1: Mike Chris Baynell joined by Jim Pender's up here in our broadcast booth. And this one you took advantage of nine walks. I mean, when when the other team has given you free passes, you got to take advantage, and tonight you did that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they I thought our guys were patient at the plate. We weren't getting a ton of stuff to hit. And yeah, we only had eight hits, you know, but when they give you nine, you know, it's like giving you twenty seven bases. So I'm sorry, math's a little off seventeen bases, but took it. You know, we were able to score on what they gave us. I mean, I thought Biller's at bat in the first was huge. You know, we have Tyler bounces out uncharacteristically in a big spot early there. We get three straight walks and he doesn't get his best swing off, and you know, there's a little bit of momentum in the other dugout all of a sudden, It's like, okay, we got through three four without anything on the board and three walks, and then and then Biller goes down two and then fights to stay in the count, lays off some tough pitches and walks, and that was that kind of broke the ice. And then Dougherty with a big knock to follow that up, and then it was off to the rate. After that, I thought we did a really nice job offensively, and then it made some nice plays defensively too. Biller had a nice one the outfield, Daniels had a really nice diving play, Tyler had a nice uh three six double play. So, you know, some good things. And Budvar was on a strict pitch count today. And Shaw picked up his buddy from Manhattan College and ate a lot of innings. He didn't have his best stuff, but we just needed all those innings eating and he did exactly what we needed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Shaw was a little up and down. He gave up four runs, four hits, he walked three. But it looked like to me, you were gonna leave him in there. You're gonna make You're gonna work it out because this is the deal. We lead, keep the lead, let's get something fixed or whatever. You know, I'm thinking in your mind what you might be thinking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we didn't want to show them anybody else either. You know, we had a decent lead. If they could you know, we had Hutchinson ready, but you know, we just we really wanted to just stay with the one guy if we could, if we could get away with it, and then the opportunity presented itself, you know, when we don't get the mercy role in the bottom of the eighth, the ten run role and it stays nine runs. You got two guys that haven't been in a game in a long time, and I thought, there's stuff looked great. I thought Evan Hamburger's slider looked good. He was downhill through an eighty nine mile hour fastball. You know, got a good result. And I thought cam Cam looked really good too. Mayor at his stuff working. And you know, we may need those guys at Prasco and beyond, so it was good to see them get back on the beam.
Speaker 1: How much confidence does that give you as the as the head coach when you see a couple of guys mug even just get an out or two who you haven't seen in a three or four weeks, can you can you get a positive feeling from that and then take that with you next week if you need it.
Speaker 2: Sure, Yeah, it's more important that they had the positive feeling, right, And you know, you want to simulate. You don't want to simulate a nine run lead. You know, in their minds, it's got to be a tie score there or we're down one or up one and do the job and so that you can be better prepared for the next time you pay, which probably not gonna be a nine run lead, and we're gonna need you to do something a little bit more special. So but I thought they both looked like they can look, and we haven't seen those two guys look like they can look in a long long time. So that was that was important. Josh came to me in the seventh or eighth and said, hey, I'm thinking this this and you know what, Yeah, let's do it. Let's do it. Let's get shot off the mount in the ninth and if we have that big a lead, let's you know, we can we can play a little bit and see if they can get get a couple of guys out.
Speaker 1: And how much better is the bottom of the third order. Again, when you got Grant MacArthur hitting seventh, does your DH he gets a couple of knocks, knocks in a run. Connor Land got a nice ground ball up the middle. It has scored a run on the seventh plus that sack fly and the first hit thing. I mean, it really lengthens this lineup. But you got six three hundred hitters there in a row, and then the bottom third delivering a little bit for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very much so MacArthur. You know, he's got ten homers, and I mean, for it's a luxury to have a seven hitter. And I'm looking at our averages on the board, like you know, those are those are as high as they've been all year. I mean, it's pretty it's pretty good. It's it's got some The lineup certainly has some length. We also have guys in the bench. I mean, I got bow Root, who's you know, hitting over three hundred that I can't get in there, you know, but I love having It's a luxury because he's he's so good off the bench too, and he can run. And so we got some good answers. I think offensively gonna you know, hopefully have a good day tomorrow with throwing strikes. And they have a very good starting pitching, and I thought we did a nice job getting to their starter tonight. But we're gonna have another test tomorrow and hopefully we'll have a good crowd tomorrow night on a Friday, last Friday night in stores.
Speaker 1: Yeah, midweather was great, great baseball weather. One final thing on biller. At one point I was looking at his numbers. He was hitting about two oh nine at one point in the season, he would not hit it. And then he has been hitting much better over the last twenty games or so. What are you seeing with him?
Speaker 2: I mean, you got to be confident now in what he's doing. Yeah, I thought he was kind of cutting himself off early in the season, but it's kind of how his swing works anyway. It really wasn't a mechanical, mechanical thing. I think he was really getting in his own way. He's such a people pleaser. He's such a good young person and just a great personality. Really cares about others. He's a great teammate, and I think he was just so caught up in what everybody else was thinking, you know, like he was putting too much weight on his shoulders and and we moved him down in the order. Was like, man, this guy should be hitting a lot better than he is. And finally he just kind of stuck with He always works, but I think he just you know, these guys come in. They come here like I'm gonna get drafted, I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do If you start thinking about that stuff, it's going to get in the way. And I think he's just playing for for himself now. He's not worried about anybody else. He's he if this is it, if this is his last time playing baseball, he doesn't want to have any regrets. And the irony is, you know, he's he's starting to draw some attention of scouts as a result. So you know, it's funny when you focus on what you can control, what you're capable of, and uh, he's showing that he's capable of an awful lot. He's a lot of fun to watch. I mean, boy, that that line drive Homer was special too. I mean that was that was another moment swing. I thought, you know, they scored whatever it was three on or Menzila, the RBI and the two RBIs and Shaw's walking a couple of people, the momentum shifting to their dugout. They get two quick outs, two of our best hitters, and and Daniels and Minnick and then boom, you know, Biller puts up a solo shot and at least we answer with something in that inning. So he got the game ball tonight. I just think it was impressive what he was able to do in those and just in those two at bats and in the catch in the outfield. But he's a good baseball player, really good, and we're really glad he's here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fun to watch. He really is that California thing. The basketball team did that pretty well last couple of years, Joey kal Katera coming in and win a national championship. And now I got Sam Biller, who knows, who knows what these Cali guys can do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, they seem to fit in really well. You know, it's it's we haven't had a bad one yet. I mean really, they fit in great. And they're really good baseball players, you know. They they they are playing outside since their little kid a year round in many cases, and they have the actions. They have the mental cuity for it too. They really have good feel for when to bunt, when not to bunt. What you know, what the situation is, they just play. They play a lot more baseball than we do out here at a younger age. So they've they've they've really been a you know, I'm thinking back twenty years now. We've been very successful bringing in guys from the West coast. Yeah, Graham MacArthur's another one. Right, all right, coach, you appreciate it. Tomorrow, let's go get them. You got it, Thanks, Mike.
Speaker 1: That's Jimpenders.