Speaker 1: The ALKI wow, I feel got it? You want to go? Do? I want to go? Now? What do I do? Pick one? How do you do it? Take that can of.
Speaker 2: Gasolina and put it by the door.
Speaker 3: Take homatchet'st and no more candy store.
Speaker 1: How you can throw in a little harmony.
Speaker 4: Kugol is probably the most nostalgic game of my childhood. It's these five stones. I want to tell you about Kogola, how you can play it, and the larger category of oldie games that exist in the Hasidic world. Some of them you might know even if you're not Hasidic.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 4: My name is fre Devisel and I'm a YouTuber specializing in a c Brooklyn. Besides for my study of Acitic culture, I have a fascination with children's play of your Before there were toy stores and actual products designed for children's play. We now take it for granted that toy stores are a thing. We even have these giant chops that are landmarks of childhood play, culture making, and a reflection of values. Take Fao Schwartz in Manhattan with the dolls, trends, characters, fantasies of Western society. Or take toys for You in bar Park, Brooklyn with the Jewish Orthodox puppets, mencheese, costumes for children, and Yiddish board games, all reflecting a very different society and imparting of values. Once toys were not an industry, as Shoshana Hnfeld, who lived in Williamsburg, Brooklyn from nineteen thirty seven to nineteen four remembered, they made their own toys.
Speaker 6: We had stoops going that one.
Speaker 7: We used to play stoop balls, and we used to play hopscotch. We used to roller skates, and we used to take a crate. Not us, the boys would do it. They would take a crate orange brake or whatever and they would nail it with a piece of wooden two pieces of roller skate.
Speaker 6: And we would have a scooter.
Speaker 7: Those were fun days. It was you know, you didn't go into the store and by this and I because it wasn't there, and it was so much better to make your own.
Speaker 4: Old footage of the nineteen fifties just children playing with jump ropes, with various pieces of trash, with balls, with bikes and trikes, and especially girls. Lots of circle games and clapping games where you clap and chent in the Ascidic Jewish community. Many of these forms of play have survived even when forgotten Elsewhere. Of Brooklyn, I see children playing for hours with things like crates, boxes, cups, making even a vending machine of refrigerator boxes. They do lemonade, stand like projects that they call carnivals, where you can turn in a book, they sell fresh popcorn slush, or you can participate in booths where you can pick challen beans out of a plate of flour by sucking on a straw. At other times, I see jingle jump or lots of rope, hopscotch, tag, hide and seek, kick the can, many versions of ball like elimination, hit the deck, machanaium, chalk. Of course, drawing on various levels. Art can be seen everywhere. Cards, trading cards, collector's cards, rubber, and of course koko. It's my theory that the strong prohibition against television and nowadays the internet, especially the strict campaign against smartphones, has created a space for continuation of old school play while it died out elsewhere, replaced perhaps by video games and more organized forms of play. Of all these nostalgic games, Kugler is most interesting to me because, for one, really embarrassingly left footed or left handed at it, and for another because it's a variation of the world's oldest game that we have evidence that it once existed, that is the game of five Stones or knucklebones. Five Stones can be played with nothing but five pebbles that you collect from the street, like you would perhapscotch. There's no need for toy stores, although of course someone is bound to create a need and box up the stones into a purchasable product. And it looks like this. This holding the Kogler is Ricky Rose, a Yiddish singer from the Citic Williamsburg community with the voice of an angel. When we visited her old Hans recently, we came upon some wild oldie things in a store, and that's how I learned that another one of Ricky's talons is cookola. She's really good at it. So we bought some, brought it back to my place, and Ricky tried to teach me how to play it, and while she did, we trailed off into remembering many other old forms of play.
Speaker 1: Ah nice.
Speaker 4: The cookolar have a nice little heft. They make this satisfying clinking sound. They're like mini weighted blankets. The floor is the board it's raining outside, it's cozy, and we're playing like in the olden days. The objective of the game is to throw some cookola and while some are in the air, collect others from the floor. Sometimes you throw up one, hold one in your palm, grab one off the board, all in one swoop. Sometimes you throw up one but grab four. Sometimes you throw up four and grab one. You might throw, you might hold, you might grab various amounts. See, there are phases, and each phase contains nine levels with different ways of throwing and catching the coo.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 8: Level one, level two, level three, how's the fourth called? Within each level there's onesies, two, four, zayad co coogola, exchange, exchanges, puts toy.
Speaker 1: Toyot and bridges. Oh, and there's no patches. Is at the end of cool God? You catch everything you do.
Speaker 4: Ricky is really a pro player at this game.
Speaker 1: Okay, beautiful, am I fill? You got it? I'm really useless. Now what do I do? Pick one? Oh? Try, it's right, hold on? How do you do it? You have to throw it higher and faster, and you have to be like that.
Speaker 4: What I love about this old sensory game is that as you play it and sit on the ground, throwing, catching, you drift off into a zone. A conversation, a nostalgic trip down memory lane of the games we played. I never played coogloss really, maybe because they were much more popular among the boys than the girls.
Speaker 1: Who did you play with? I played with my neighbors and with the girls in the school.
Speaker 9: Actually, my school was a very boyish girls, you know, so.
Speaker 1: I find it interesting, you know.
Speaker 8: For a long time I wanted to do a video about coogolok, to document how it's played. Yeah, And I was always thinking who to ask, And I didn't think that the person i'd ask would have written nail polish, pink and egglis.
Speaker 3: It's not red, it's it's it's I was like the best in my class, but when I played with the boys, the boys were better than me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the girls were usually much more into ball. One of the most popular girls games was bouncing a ball and reciting chance.
Speaker 5: Larry Ary.
Speaker 4: It was like this, and yes, we all knew the chant one two three h larry, although I thought it was hilarry.
Speaker 3: Do you know the chance like a My name is Alice and my husband's name is We come from Alaska and apple do you know miss Lucy. No, miss Lucy had a baby. She named him him. No, no, what other chance do you know?
Speaker 1: Once I had a candy shop and business was so bad.
Speaker 3: I asked my mother what to do, and this is what she said.
Speaker 10: Take that can of gasolina and put it by that north.
Speaker 1: Take a match it scratch, and.
Speaker 9: No more candy store.
Speaker 1: You can run a little harmony. This song doesn't make sense. It's so dark. What is that? Yeah? And we would sing it as kids.
Speaker 4: Speaking of dark, we all knew ring around a rosie or ring around the roses this oldie. We knew that there was some dark history to the song. Ricky decided she didn't want to sing it.
Speaker 10: I don't want so many any demons.
Speaker 8: Oh no, okay, we're not gonna Sam and Andy demons.
Speaker 1: We never want to do that. I don't think I ever played this. What did you play Rubber? Oh you didn't play rubber. I did, but I didn't like. It wasn't as fun. Actually it was, Oh my god, we should do a rubber video. Yeah.
Speaker 11: One to three, one to three, one to three to three.
Speaker 8: You remember episodes of the Yeah and then you bring the rubbers over?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, Wow, that was hard.
Speaker 4: I'm fascinated by these because I still see these games played by acidic girls in the streets. I still see so many of these oldies around. So many young people in Western socidy today know nothing about them. But once upon a time, children everywhere knew them.
Speaker 10: In the del Hi hold the day the farmer in the Dells, the farmer.
Speaker 6: Takes the white.
Speaker 1: Do you know?
Speaker 10: The farmer and the dell farmer and the bell, The farmer and the dell high Onnitaria, the farmer and the bell, the farmer and the farmer makes a right, picks a wife.
Speaker 1: Oh, the farmer picks a wife. I remember that one.
Speaker 11: No cheese, the cheese stays alone.
Speaker 1: Is that the cheese stays alone? Yeah, that's a little. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Nobody wanted to be the cheese, even though cheese is great, because everyone got picked for the wife and then the cow.
Speaker 1: And these games.
Speaker 9: Are so messed up they make no sense.
Speaker 1: Do you know kind of Silissa?
Speaker 9: Who?
Speaker 4: I asked her if she knows Yiddish version of Little Sally Walker. It involves a kid in the center of a circle, pretending to cry and picking someone out.
Speaker 6: In a weekend shut down.
Speaker 1: Klinas the lesso so.
Speaker 9: And that sounds like tip pizza Pizzoco episodes like you know that the kids you play the game with the kids you do this, Oh do you know x MAXI no xe.
Speaker 1: It goes like this. You turn around and everyone will be a line.
Speaker 8: Xy maxi dot dot dot, a line, a line, a circle around a line, a bump.
Speaker 1: Getting a free massage. Then you blow, but I'm not going to blow into your back. These games are so funny. Do you know?
Speaker 4: We reminisced about using the word gay as happy all the time.
Speaker 10: Alex went to the barbershop, barbershop, barbershop.
Speaker 1: Alex went to the barber shop on a bright and sunny day. He got a haircut that.
Speaker 8: Was sweet and gay, sweet and gay, sweet and gay.
Speaker 3: He got eh haircut that was sweet and gay and ran home right away.
Speaker 9: Home or ran home, I don't know right away.
Speaker 11: Why did they?
Speaker 4: By the way, my theory as to y we sheltered Yiddish speaking Hasidic kids in the nineteen eighties and nineteen nineties two thousand's knew these English songs with all American names like Alex and Alice is because when Hassidim originally came to America after the Holocaust in the nineteen forties and nineteen fifties. For the first ten to twenty years, their community was not yet homogeneous, closed off, set up this entire ecosystem of insularity. They had not yet developed their insular bubble of their own homes and culture, their own fortress in Brooklyn, as the Satmareba called it, with their own schools and shops and fashions and toys, media and culture. They lived among people of different levels of faith. South Williamsburg wasn't yet only Hasidic, and so little Hasidic children played and mixed with non Acidic neighbors, absorbing the American nineteen fifties culture and then slowly closing off and bottling it up, becoming as if frozen in time. Some of the fashions like pillbox hats or the chans and names for food like supper gutter, foxy aspring candy reflect the American nineteen fifties. It's an interesting phenomenon that you can still to some degree see in the streets people calling strollers carriages and look like the fashions of that time. But oftentimes the Yiddish speaking Asciitic kids misunderstood what their English speaking, neighbors said or censored things.
Speaker 6: Mountains, The lady she is.
Speaker 4: No here, Nellie Groskett and I are singing on the mountain. Nellie lived in Williamsburg in the nineteen thirties and wasn't Hassidic. I played with our Hasidic grandmothers.
Speaker 6: I loved jumping rope.
Speaker 8: What did you chant when you jumped rope?
Speaker 6: My mother, your mother live across the way two fourteen East Broadway. Every night they have a fight, and this is what they say, Nellie, Nellie, jump out, stella, stella, jump in. I love it the mountains. The lady she is no. What she wants is what she wants as a nice young man.
Speaker 1: So jump Oh wait, it's what she wants is a nice young man.
Speaker 8: Yes, we're saying it as kids, but this part we never know that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was all she wants is gold and silver. All she wants is a punch in the boat. You know you didn't say those.
Speaker 6: It was some incomprehention.
Speaker 11: Sounds like a fund and then punch in the boat.
Speaker 4: It's so funny to look back to how we repeated things having no idea what we were saying.
Speaker 1: I heard a punch in the boat punch. That's it. I think they have a whole list. Huh yeah, I've been collecting them. I'm trying to figure out what was no, No, what was not known? One potato two, potato three, potato four.
Speaker 9: But it's one tequila two tequila three tequila for.
Speaker 1: Five six more. Really I heard that somewhere. Maybe it's offensive.
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 11: I don't know what's offensive considered offensive anymore.
Speaker 1: No, it's not offensive. It's not offensive. He's dying, okay. Last one, do you know the quilla? I don't think we sang that. No, we didn't, do you know? I'm one, two, three and a six? But do you know what?
Speaker 9: I know what?
Speaker 11: Alta Baba sua licked in bed Oh mat that.
Speaker 9: But my mother didn't let us sing out of Shine magazine and malamaed.
Speaker 1: Licked oh by game tie die is.
Speaker 11: Bitter gam the ticket Isa ticket is ease as fish. The fish ish is mass.
Speaker 1: Like please, this is no, that's an idol.
Speaker 11: So as fish, the fishes mass.
Speaker 2: Guy and Gus and Gus guy and Vinkle and Vincola lid and to high as baint.
Speaker 1: So silly, that's very funny. It's happening with the culture Shaw and thank you so much. I appreciate it, Ricky, thank you. It's just fun.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you're amazing, very impressed.
Speaker 1: You're amazing. You have a lot of talent. You have a lot of talent.
Speaker 10: Can I know?
Speaker 5: I love that you called me that. No one calls me call me lift to I know you go better too. Yeah, you know our Hungarian Grandma's.
Speaker 4: And here we are hours later and have not passed onesies. I will later pour over the footage to zoom in and understand what Ricky was doing better and put it all together for a separate video, a titorial of Kogol Phase one levels one through nine.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 4: Wow, nice, because those who can play teach right. And isn't that a kind of winning anyway?
Speaker 1: I'm out, but where are you up to? You're still up to onesies? Don't rub it in.
Speaker 9: The out.
Speaker 1: Hold on, I'm gonna get its elephant. Remember, no, so.
Speaker 11: The little kids who didn't know how to play, okay, we would let them play elephant.
Speaker 1: You make you make them this with your hands. I swear to god, you make it sounds so.
Speaker 11: You knew this her and and you have to throw it in here you can play elephant.
Speaker 4: It's so great to look back at these games and chants and to connect the past to the present in a world that's so modern, so fast evolving, so far away from the memory and experiences of just a mere hundred years ago. Here in these innocent childhood games, the connection between the present and the past still feels strong. The games that continue to be alive, The great old game of five Stones of cook Lich, which I now hope some of you know how to play, as I do not. The games of bouncing ball, playing in the ground, playing with chalk, with bikes, and singing on the mountain. The farmer in the dell, Little Sally Walker, Ringeranga, Rosie, one Potato, two potato, who stole the cookie from the cookie? And jump in rifts you and jump out Friday Nanny, And then we all have a little bit of children in us forever