Speaker 1: He's the laps Fan Wrestling podcast special report. The Lapse Fan presents the Complete Hull Cogan, a real American story. We're brought to you by Garage Pierre how Boss.
Speaker 2: We can't on the Complete Hull Cogan leave Tampa too far behind at any given point, can we? Because Ull Cogan never did until the day he died. He was a Tampa man through and through.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: You didn't know anything about the guy. You knew that he was from Tampa, Florida.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I mean despite being from Venice Beach, right, you knew he was from Tampa.
Speaker 2: He sort of wore it on his sleeve, even though he didn't have sleeves most of the time. And so it's the summer of seventy nine here on the Complete Hull cogin a far cry from the summer of sixty nine when Terry was banging the base in Infinity's End and on the Strobe lights back then. For Infinity's End was Terry's childhood pal Danny Brower, who you may have you may remember hearing from the taal end of our last episode out in the Skyway Bridge, Remember that guy thinking about suicide? Yes, yes, his name's Danny Brower, or, as we'd like to call him, the Tampa friend Hogan never named, yes or well, Terry once called him the mule who he introduced you to. There he was contemplating ending it all on Tampa's iconic Skyway Bridge, only to wake up, drive home, and be foisted upon by a young Terry Boleya and Ed Leslie, suddenly encouraging him to get up, get in shape, and pump iron with them. More on Danny Brower much later, as we return one last time on the Complete Hulkgan to where it all started for Terry Boleya, Tampa and the life on the docks that Terry Boleya almost didn't leave behind. M And if we're headed to the docks like some honest to goodness blue collar gentleman, we've got to do it gripping the only beer that fits the occasion. Oh yes, the only beer that matches complete hul Cogan energy. We're talking about garage beer.
Speaker 3: Listen, if you if you're gonna, if you wanna, if you want to hit the docks at Tampa, you know you're gonna need something refreshing. You're just need something cool. You're gonna need something to kind of get your mind off the hard work, right all right, that long shortman work. Oh certainly ain't short shoreman. Okay, I was gonna say long as days. Time to get into the long and short of his days is a long shoreman and doing Steve Doring, Oh fucking Steve Doring sounds like a jobb or. He wrestled in seventy seven before anyone knew who he was. Oh my god, this is gonna be Oh, yes, you know, but you gotta do that. You know you want it. You want that refreshing, that refreshing, cool crisp uh uh reward. Yes, at the end of a long day and you you head to the garage for that, maybe with your feet uh dangling in Tampa Bay. Maybe you know, yes, well, you have your your lunch, your honest to goodness lunch, and a garage beer the fastest growing independent beer brand in the US. I mean, coming off a Super Bowl ad and select markets. It's it's been wonderful, uh to see a brand that understands that TLF is timeless, that TLF slam dungst the basketball in the face of your hate. That Garage Beer is the fastest growing beer brand in the United States, Cross Crisp, crushable, rude for good times, Yes, no nonsense. Like a certain podcast, I could mention four percent ABV Logger, ninety five calories and three grams of carbs. That's it and it comes in two crowd favorite varieties Classic in Lime. So go to their beer finder at Drink garage beer dot com. Figure out where you can get it. It's increasingly diffuse across these United States, and let them know. The co chairman say to you, because yes, big thumbs up to sponsorship, big thumbs up to synergies, big thumbs up to partnerships, and big thumbs up to garage beer and the complete Hull Cogin setting down the definitive chronicle, respectful when it needs to be, disrespectful when it needs to be Yes of the life and times of Hull Cogin. So you always feel obliged to remind the Solar System that all we're doing on this one of a kind journey is made possible by support like that, and of course by support like yours. We'll do this quickly this time because we've got a lot of dockworking to do with the long and short shoreman of it. But yeah, it's it's been a busy time at TLFHQ, not just in terms of trying to find ways to get content out to you, but as you know, the boss Man has been active in New York City. Tell them about just desserts, which by the time they hear this might be wrapping up. Yes, i'd say you. By the time you guys all hear this, it'll be our last week. If you haven't come out yet, please do we We do perform and says Wednesday through Sunday, Wednesday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday at well Wednesday and Saturday at two pm, Sunday at three pm, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday at seven p m.
Speaker 2: So you haven't been busy, No, because it's not. It's not a ninety minute two hour drive both places. It's no, certainly not in up to three hours. Potentially too if I end up deciding to park in Harlem to not pay the Midtown tax. Stop complaining, all.
Speaker 3: Right, no, no, not no, no, listen, I deserve it, Okay. I want to. I want to do this. I want to have fun. I want to I want to I want to perform on stage and entertain people. I deserve to hurt, right, like you're saying the other day. If it's not hurting, it's you're not really doing anything right exactly.
Speaker 2: The running is the place.
Speaker 3: If it doesn't hurt, if it if it's got to feel like pain, Okay, if it doesn't feel like pain, you're doing something wrong. We not taught you anything over over a decade of doing this, Jesus Christ. So yeah, I'm very excited there AMT Theater If I'm yeah, AMT Theater forty fifth Actually it's it's only a stone throwaway from our good friends at the Comedy Village. Oh sure we are. We are on the same we're in between the same avenues between eighth and ninth Avenue, and but one street down where we're one street up. Rather we're forty fifth Street and they're on forty fourth Street. And those putting the fuel into the engine that is Patreon dot com slash the lapsed fan that makes this worth it for us as well as worth it for you. It's going to be the beneficiary of one that curtain closes on the boss's latest thespian endeavors. Folks are thirst and tell them when they can expect under the cinemat Marvel Journey to come roaring back. I want to say, you know, it's not like I've been doing nothing during those days off. I don't really have days off. We have Mondays and tuesdays off from the show.
Speaker 4: But I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm not, you know, just sitting on the beach in Tampa, you know, working on my tan. Okay, I've been, I've I've been putting together our next episode for our h our MCU journey, Our Marvel Carne Carney's, our Marvel CARNEYE Universe Journey. I know it's been a while. I mean, we tried to. I try to. I try to front load y'all with a with a with a massive episode, so hopefully, hopefully you know, you're not too hungry. Actually no, I demand that you're too hungry by the time, Yes, the next one rolls around. So it's it's coming, it's coming, and we got a long way to go with that, not to mention you know, we're we're coming up. You know, we we still got a little ways to go on the complete hull Gogan. But there's gonna be another interruption at some point, probably within the next you know, I'd say a month or two when when we get to certain years where where Terry starts making some waves in the uh on on on on the small screen.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, so we're gonna start getting some crossover with comings, right, that's right, we listen, We're gonna go.
Speaker 3: We are going to be complete. Yes, we don't. We don't finish until we come to completion.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 2: And Hull Cogan is the one of the crosshairs for the next a long while, and so all the more reason to keep it A tune to Patreon dot com slash the Lapsed Fan. We of course deeply appreciate your support and if you're listening to us, A lot of folks I think are looking in hearing about this podcast. That's you know, finding people from Hulk Hogan's life, finding people who announced his shows, like Great Michael Saint John who we talked to who voiced over the Hulk vignette and Memphis, Like you know, Charlie Platt, who gave voice to Hulk Hogan's very first television appearances as a professional wrestler in the Gulf Coast circuit. Like Don the Dragon Wilson who worked alongside Hulk ause he slang drinks before getting back into the business in seventy eight and Cocoa Beach Brian Blair and then of course last week The Birdman Coco Beware. Yes, just taking us to a place we never quite have been Antiella, Oh.
Speaker 3: Coco.
Speaker 2: All made possible by support across the board. You know, we mentioned Garage Beer, but patreon dot com slash the lapsed fan is also we're talking, you know, ground zero and so appreciate the support. Add free versions of the show for your patriarch dollar, to say nothing of the monthly premium live calls. As we head down the road to wrestle Mania, fuck me, what a wonderful Royal Rumbland Saudi we were proud to bring to you on a delayed basis Elimination Chamber coming up. I know you're gassed for them.
Speaker 3: Oh god, that's It's like, do we have to.
Speaker 2: Do this again? Do we have to pretend like they're putting on a card that feels like a WrestleMania again?
Speaker 3: I mean, do we have to feel like they're putting on a card that needs to be put together as if like there's just you know, oh my god, these events are just you know, the this these uh, these stories, these feuds are just they're they're they're they're too much. We got to put it together. We got to put another show together just to get this stuff go and give it some give it the right place to breathe.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's going to be Roman and Punk for the fake world title Night Too main event.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I guess at least Punk gets his real main event.
Speaker 2: Yes, so, yeah, he's not going to admit it because that would because he rolled over last year and claimed Night one was the real one. Yeah, but here we are. This is what he said he left for back when working Undertaker wasn't enough underneath the scene of rock.
Speaker 3: So so well, okay, that's great man, Glad you're getting your your thing. I'm glad. I'm glad you're I'm glad you. I mean, what's so funny. What's so funny about it is that they keep just missing with it, you know, they they they Paul doesn't want to give it to him one hundred percent. He gave him the fake one last year, you know, the Night one main event, which is like you know, that's the that's like leading into the intermission, all right, that's that's Act one like nobody.
Speaker 2: You know, you don't see a punk goes through this comeback and doesn't win the rumble. Like that tells you something, right, because everyone knows that's the trigger to pull and it's gonna happen. He's not gonna win the rumble, right, He's not gonna win the rumble. But then also the fact that like he's main eventing Night two with Roman Reigns, which, hell, that's it. That's the main event right there. But for the for the crappy belt, for the fake belt. Now, I guess we're just marks for calling it that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well obviously, because you know it looks like a fucking piece of plastic that my mom put together.
Speaker 2: So I look forward to that coming up as well in Vegas, and the co chairs will be quite busy on the Patreon platform of course heading into WrestleMania season. But we're here to pick up the ball from the complete hull Coogan. And when we last left you, he was done again with wrestling. He left Memphis. He said, you know what, I'm going back to Tampa in other places, and I'm going to work the docks. And so we decided on the journey. Too funny enough in two thousand and two, he'd work the rock Yeah, no, realm, that's true. Do you smell what the docks are cooking? We're about to find out. I mean, you know, the only oh god, the only time he worked the docks harder was when he was looking for steroids and there's a whore and deal. Okay, precisely. So we decided to devote an episode to trying to basically figure out what the fuck he was talking about in his book and over the years about working on the docks. We've already touched on a lot of this material, trying to thread it through, you know, his coming up in the world and getting acquainted in the business and taking I guess what you could call odd jobs. You know, he got he got on the union as a laborer with his buddy Anthony Borcello, who was the singer of.
Speaker 3: Rockets gets, he gets a he gets this is this is when he works a union.
Speaker 2: Huh, that's when he works a union. Yeah, as opposed to later I'm not a big fan of unions, you know, in a few years, but definitely at this point he's totally fine with it. That's cool. Yeah, yess, exactly right. And and It's kind of confusing because there's him working as a laborer and you know, digging ditches in the mall in Tampa that we talked about is a little different than the job he did on the actual docks where he was. I don't know. He seemed to have a few different jobs, some of which seemed incredibly physically laborious and others which didn't. So the timeline is one thing that's especially confusing, to say nothing of the geography, because he talks in his book about leaving Memphis and going back to Tampa and working the docks. But we're about to convey some material to you that that exists on Facebook from people who recall working and one gentleman in particular who calls working with Terry Bully on the docks. And it was in Fort Pierce, which, as far as I can tell, is on the completely different side of Florida, much closer on the east coast of Florida to Cocoa Beach, which puts us in seventy eight when he was over there, rather than all the way over on the west side of Florida. The other the other Coco be the other Coco Bee. Yeah, Cocoa beach where.
Speaker 3: Sounds like Coco beach ware. That's what you that's what you guess what Coco wear is when he goes to the beach.
Speaker 2: He was very nice afterwards, thanking us for the interview and stuff. I mean, what a wow. He took us to places you were just like Coco. I, I couldn't find your figure for a long time. Stop crying, love you man.
Speaker 4: That was that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I I it's kind of you know, it's it's funny. It's so stupid when you really think about, like that's that's the only thing I could come to to like try to get him to stop crying.
Speaker 2: Try and we're just reaching, Oh my god, let him get his bearings, you know, talk.
Speaker 3: About like you know how I couldn't which is I mean, listen, it's a completely true story. It's all true, totally all true. But it's so funny, like you know.
Speaker 2: Everybody got off and everybody got down on that one as part of everyone got way down on that one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's amazing, man.
Speaker 2: You know, just the guys you rode with like they're they're staring down, you know, a pretty scary cliff right now. You know, when you start losing guys and it's like and you're like the last of the true brothers you felt like you had in the wrestling business. That's a lot more guys from the Golden era are in that position that I think we take the time to appreciate. Yeah, I think there's a lot of people who could very easily work themselves into a similar lather around, you know, just where they are now and where the people that they you know, considered part and parcel of who they were who they met in the wrestling business are gone. And it's not just tragedy, you know. Now it's just old age. And that's a much different proposition.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's kind of that. That is the thing. It's like, it's not just it's not just all the that's not just I can avoid those pitfalls, you know. It's it's getting the point where your your numbers coming up, you know, like it's unavoidable now. You know, you're you're you're You're not I just hope you have number thirty. You're not in exactly, You're not an exception anymore right right now?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: It is just luck of the draw.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, one of many I think threads we will continue to pull as the complete hull coga and unfurls for however long it takes here is indeed, but the so the timelines are a little confusing as well as the geography, because it seems like what he's saying is he basically went and took jobs on the docks, which you know, when you're in the union, you check in, you check out. It's not like it's like you're expected to report to work five days a week or else you get fired. You kind of just take jobs when they're available. You show up at the hall and you kind of say, all right, I'll take the next you know, there's a big boat coming into port that needs to be unloaded. I'm here for this time period. I'll take the job and make the quick bucks. And it's good. It's good money. It's very good money because there's a lot of backbreaking work and tough work, especially in the hot Florida sun. But I think, like so many things about his earliest years, it's you crave this sort of neat arrangement of this happened here, and then this happened, and then this happened here, and it all blends together, especially his stints on the docks, I think he was there in seventy eight when he was taking a year off the business in Cocoa Beach, you know, running the gym and the bar. And I think in seventy nine he goes to the port in Tampa more so than the the Fort Pierce Port, which is on the other side of Florida. So it's not like there was just this one I don't think there's this one discreete little window where we can say this is where he went to the docks and then he came back to wrestling, right. But we're going to do our best to sort of triangulate what he said about when he did this kind of work, what others said about when he did this kind of work, and see what we come up with. And you know, we heard from Anthony Borcello, from our friend Brad Blucian, who we want to remind you, of course, that he's offering you know, special gut to members of the Solar System who sign up for his brad Pack Patreon and as part of his great book The six Pack, he interviewed all kinds of people from Terry's past and in cooperation with TLF and the Complete Hulk Cogan sharing exclusive audio of the conversations he had and putting that book together. One of them is with Anthony Borcello from Terry's past, again the lead singer of Rucus, and he was someone whose father was involved in the Labor's Union in Tampa, and as we talked about, got Hogan involved in doing that kind of work. It seems like if Anthony Barcello has it right, well, I'm sure he has it right as it regards his role in getting Hulk involved in the Long Shorman's Union side of it, which is a different deal. But as far as who set Hogan up, it wasn't Anthony Barcello, And it seems like Hulk in his book says that Borcello set him up both in the laborers Union and working the docks, but those are two separate and distinct things. Borsello told Brad Bluccian that was actually a guy named Gary Devrend who was also involved in Rucus and some of Hulkogan's bands coming up, who later on went on to become a significant kind of like a big wig in the Florida area port unions, one of like the top two or three guys. It looks like in the Long Shoreman's Union or I think it's called the ILU or something like that. Whatever is the International Longshoreman's Union. And let's just say this guy is not taking calls. Okay, I'm pretty sure we did all the work we could to try to find Gary de wrend and see if he'd be willing to reflect, even though he's very clearly out there as a big hot shot union guy, not someone that we were raised but Ford it's worth Barcelo says, Gary de Wrenn was the one to set hoking up on the docks, and he was the one who set him up as a laborer, and so that's just that's a distinction worth making. We go to a Facebook post that was published shortly after Terry passed away on a Facebook group called the Fort Pierce Connection. Now, Fort Pierce are the docks on the west side of Florida, nearer to a pardon me, on the east side of Florida, nearer to Cocoa Beach than Tampa that Hogan also apparently worked on. Because in this post, which actually it kind of resurfaced after Hogan's passing, but the initial post states all the way back to twenty eighteen, a guy by the name of Billy Johnson out of Tampa wrote the following, I used to work with a guy in Fort Pierce at the port. You know him as Hulk Hogan. Wow, I used to work for Coastal Steve Doring. I did not know him as Hulk Hogan in these days. He was a checker for goods coming in the port. Back then, a checker. Hulk was a checker who check things.
Speaker 3: He would check things. Apparently that's where we're at checker.
Speaker 2: We looked at one of his checks from Jarrett Goulas. Most of the cargo Billy Wrights was oranges and grapefruits being exported. We handled.
Speaker 3: I should fuck it. It's just fucking hilarious to me. Hulk candling fruit, Hulk checking fruit. Our brother won't got here, dude, grapefruits. We'll got, well, got grapefruits. Brother, we talk about I don't know, well I got it. Well, I got it, I got you know, I got big ass grapefruits.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: What what.
Speaker 3: Are we exporting your grapefruits?
Speaker 4: Dude?
Speaker 2: Well, I export them all the time. Oh my god, at least the insides. So what you're saying is this isn't the only time Hulk was accused of handling grapefruits, apparently not making sure that they were appropriately accounted for. Oh god. He writes, we handled for export vegetables for American Foods, a company called American Foods. I knew him as Terry Balayam. He was a really nice guy. We followed his career when he started in Tampa. I started with the company in nineteen seventy nine, so that puts us in seventy nine. And there's some you know, people who follow up, and he says, I worked every with him. He was just a big bodybuilder. Then for lunch he drank these nasty shakes, Oh my god, and about five pounds of grapes. Oh. Someone says, grapes nature's candy. Are they bodybuilding food? Billy responds, he said the grapes made his skin thin, so his muscle would make his veins show. Wait what, the woman responds, I just googled it. I didn't know grapes were a natural blood thinner. Interesting, Billy responds, wine is a blood thinner. Okay, so did you know that, boss, If you want that vascularity to show, you hit the grapes. I did not know it. No wonder. Coco remembers them loading up on fruit primarily hit the road in the green and wild to think about, Yeah, especially a guy Jesus who's you know, as big as he is, and everyone kind of pegs as someone chasing apparently mister Universe, which I never really heard him try to pursue mister Universe. That seems so wild to me. That seems wild to me, given you know, I mean, are they sure they're not are they sure they're not getting the Hulks confused? Well, perhaps Hulk went for a different Hulk win for mister Universe too, But you know what possibility I like to entertain. Boss, Yes, that Hulk is embarrassed to tell his fellow dog workers that he's trying to become a wrestler. Oh oh absolutely, it's more respectable to say you're trying to become mister Universe. Yep, yep, I mean listen, I can, I can, I can see that. You know that goes absolutely. How many people have you told on your show that you do a podcast about sports? Well, you know what, you know what, so I'm going to tell you that. Okay, so I mentioned this before, it hasn't come up and he hadn't come up at all. Okay, but the.
Speaker 3: Other day in between during during a show intermission, I'm backstage and I'm talking with somebody. I forget what we're just talking about, you know, like what we do on our on our days off from from doing the show. And she was like, you know what what do you you know? Do you have a do you have a do you have a steady job? I said, yeah, yeah, whoa, whoa? What what is it? I did do a podcast?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: How am I just hearing of this? I said, well, you'll get it in a second. I see, because I don't because it's embarrassing. And then Sprina Carpenter's man Child started playing on the exactly right, and then it comes out and I'm like, you know, and then and then yeah, because it's it's about professional wrestling.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm serious. That was not the worst.
Speaker 3: No, I shouldn't give that response.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: I will say, most people they're nice because you know what they can What they respect is not that it's a podcast about wrestling. What they respect is that is that we've created our own work.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what people respect regardless, that's what it's about. That's right.
Speaker 3: That is the one. That's the one kind of thing that I can get away with in in my in in my occupation is that I can always people can always see it as oh wow, like because you know, if you're it's hard. It's hard to create your own work at a certain level and expect to to to be able to live off of it to a degree, you know, and and you know, and that's and that's part of it is that you know, to have that kind of consistent work doing something that you love and doing something that is your own. It's like, that's that's just that's the dream. Honestly, it's the dream. And and so that's what I can get. I mean, I don't know, I don't I don't think you can get that. And your side of the of the coin, yeah for se well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it is nice to have the appreciation of, like, you know, people understand what it takes to people in performing arts, understands what it would take to create something whole cloth that you could then claim is your gig. You know. Oh yeah, yeah, you're kind of a self perpetuating thing. Yeah yeah, so yeah, but yeah, I choose to believe that Terry just didn't want to tell his brothers on the docks that he was trying to become a rum. All about it. I love it. I love that way better the way discussion continues. This is subsequent to Hogan's passing. Billy Johnson takes to Facebook again with sad news. He writes, Hulk Hogan passed away. You know him from his wrestling career and Rocky movie. He was born Augusta, Georgia, nineteen fifth. His family moved Tampa, Florida, where he grew up. He was born Terrence Jean Blea. I worked with him here in Fort Pierce. I started working with him in nineteen seventy eight, so that puts us in seventy eight and seventy nine here. As far as rememberssing him working on the docks very interesting. We worked in the port here for Coastal Steve Doring. Billy writes he was a real fun guy to work with. We all called him Terry at the time. He was in the gym every day for lunch. He ate seven pounds of grapes and drank the most nasty smelling drinks. I remember the first day I met him, My boss Bruce Brennan, took me around to meet everyone. When we walked up to him, I asked, Bruce, who is this And he was super big back then. He was training for Mister Universe at the time. Wow, And my boss said, Oh, that's Terry. He does whatever he wants.
Speaker 3: Little did he know, Yeah, he does do whatever he wants. Apparently, of course, I forgot to mention my boss, Bruce was about five to three. We went to Christmas parties together. All of us guys at the port rooted for Terry. We couldn't believe he was going to be a professional wrestler. I will miss good friend Terry. Yeah, and you couldn't believe it. And you know, he probably sat there, you know, saying, what the fuck is this guy doing with himself?
Speaker 2: I'm just endlessly fascinated by these people who met this guy. And of course he loved a big impression. He's a massive guy, but he hadn't hit it big as a wrestler. And then we're sitting there across the country, across the world, in fact, glued to our televisions watching this guy do his thing, putting us in the position we're in today as hulka maniacs, you know, striving to understand and revisit those times, and there are people who remember, this guy is just that huge motherfucker. Oh that's that's the best part carry from Tampa. That's who they see.
Speaker 3: That is the absolute best part of it all is the idea that there is to think about being one of those people who just like they they knew him as a person, they knew him as a human being right to a degree. Yes, like we will never could never have that, that opportunity, have that whatever, because it is such like we couldn't have. We wouldn't we you know, we would have been born and lived in Tampa to experience that. And so it's such a bizarre thing to consider.
Speaker 2: And I would say uniquely bizarre too. I mean, yes, the wrestlers. I mean there are people who knew Arnold Swarzenegger before pumping Iron, but he was still Arnold Schwarzenegger. That was his name right right right now, these guys on the docks and Fort Pierce are being asked to remember Terry Bolea as Hulk Hogan. You know, they're being asked to recontextualize this guy. It's just got to be such a trip. It's almost like like Madonna or Lady Gaga. Sure people here knew them before they took on a stage name in presence, but it's it's a unique phenomenon, to say the least. Later on, Billy posts a picture of just some trucks moving around the yard somewhere, says, I took this pish for nineteen seventy nine. I was inside of a ship that had its nose of the bow raised up. I was a shipping agent for Coastal Steve Dooring. Back then, we were loading the materials to build the electric power plant in I think he says Guantanamo Bay, Cuba are meant to write Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The generator alone weighs one hundred and seventy five tons alone. If you look to the west, you can see the seventh Street water tower that used to be the used to be to the west of there. One of the Union checkers that was on this job was Terry Bolea. Do you know him today as Hulk Hogan. There used to be a lot of ships that came in the port of Fort Pierce back then, and indeed there was, and Fort Pierce has some connection to Hulk Cogan. If you remember all the way back to when we cover his first few months in the business in Florida in seventy seven as Super Destroyer. His first documented match and most career histories you'll find of the man was in fact in Fort Pierce was the match when he wrestled Don Serrano as a late replacement. According to the newspaper clippings we conveyed on that episode, and even further, I found an article in eighty five and the Tampa Tribune after he hit it, Big Jack Briscoe remembers his first match ever at Fort Pierce. Of course, Brian Blair doesn't remember that he was, apparently on the card. He remembers being his match with Terry Bully and Hulk's first time ever.
Speaker 5: In the right.
Speaker 3: Of course, I would tell everyone that myself it was. I would tell myself that, Yeah, exactly, I would. I listen. I would have been telling myself that for the last forty years. So it's a busy time at the port. A quick article here from the Miami Herald from seventy eight and around the time a Hulk would have been over there. August of seventy eight, a major step and the rebirth of the Port of Fort Pierce will be completed by November, when four hundred foot ships began docking at a rebuilt freight terminal on the Indian River. Citrus ex spoker Bernardi get announced Thursday about forty freighters hauling eighty million pounds of Indian River citrus to Europe and Japan or expect to call at Fort Pierceport in the first season of shipping, he said. George Krikovich, president of Coastal Steve Doring that's the company, said the citrus activity will provide jobs for about one hundred and fifty Steve Doors hul Cogan among them, perhaps Boss hul Cogan among them. Perhaps I would imagine many of whom were local men who worked out of Port Canaveral in past seasons, and Port Canaveral, as we talked about, it's even closer to Cocoa Beach, where Hope would have been at the time. Quote we expected to be a major port in the very near future, Egan said. Most citrus that leaves Florida by ship now is handled through Tampa and Port Canaveral, So there's the connective tissue with Tampa perhaps following the citrus around those Florida oranges. Brother and that's Oh my god, he got so into it as his kin turned orange. I cannot handle this shit.
Speaker 2: Huh. You picture like tropic and orange juice, like that whole supply chain. That's terry marking whether boxes contain the appropriate volume at the port. Tremendous reconstruction of the forty four year old Indian River Refrigeration Center was delayed by about the seven months, Eakin said, because of the February fire that gutted the building. According to Dick Reid, executive vice president of the local Chamber of Commerce, rebuilding of the terminal is a significant step toward revitalization of the port and lowering the Fort Pierce unemployment rate of nine point three percent, and that's quite high. Jim Shehan, president of First National Bank, normal, I don't know. I'm not used to hearing it broken down by like city like that, but I would say, like three four ten, ten seems. But I don't know where we were at in seventy eighty. There was a lot of economic turmoil in the seventies. Jim Sheen, president of First National Bank, predicted that even in its early stages, the terminal would have a beneficial ripple effect on the local economy because the incoming ships will need repairs, fuel, and supplies. First National Bank is financing the project, Egan said. She and as president of the Local GOO Team Economic Development Committee, has helped coordinate the port revitalization project. The main port facility, operated under the name of Indian River Terminal Company, Egan said, will be a refrigerator. It did one hundred by three hundred and sixty foot terminal capable of handling general cargo as well as citrus. The company hopes to attract general cargo, imports and exports, and perhaps even passengers, Egan and she had said. Also she had said several companies have expressed interest in opening plants in Fort Pierce when the port becomes available. The port conservice ships drawing up to twenty five feet of water. Egan said the terminal company would exert every effort we can to get the ship channel deepened to forty feet, a project now under study by the US Army Corps of Engineers. Egan would not say how much the project will cost. Last fall, however, he applied for a two point one two five million dollars Farmer's Home Administration loan to rebuild the terminal that loan application has been stalled, he said, since the February fire that caused an estimated six hundred and fifty thousand dollars of damage to the building. So Hogan came in after the flames. He emerged as the port did from the flames. Wow, and this is a you know, before hul Cogan was an export to Japan, which we're getting to like eighty one, he was an export fruits to Japan, So he's always an exports. Krikovich said existing port activity is slight, limited mainly to a few shiploads of sand each year to the Bahamas. Okay, yeah, they're sending sand from Florida to the Bahamas.
Speaker 3: To the Bahamas, they have enough sand, Yeah right, don't they fucking of all the things they need?
Speaker 2: Imported sand sand? That seems okay whatever, Yeah, you say, Sopal. The last citrus exports were to Europe in the nineteen fifties. He said. The port was most active from the early nineteen thirties through World War Two, Krikovich said. She said port activity died from a lack of willingness to promote and modernize the facilities. Mayor Buell Brown said that although the port is in an ideal location because of its proximity to the citrus industry and easy access from the Atlantic Ocean. The port has waited until now for a cooperative effort to reactivate it. After wreckage from the February fire was cleaned up, actual reconstruction of the terminal began in early July, Krikovich said. Egan said the completed terminal will be a modern facility comparable to any other, to any and other major ports. We are making every effort to make this facility something that the city of Fort Pierce will be proud of. The outside surface of the building will be white paneled aluminum, he said, applied over eight inches of insulation. So big doings, big doings in Fort Pierce, and our hero is going to click right into that. Well, we were going to turn to Hulk Cogan's volumes to try to discern what we can about all this docks shit. And uh, I'm not talking about identifying law enforcement's address. I mean, I'm talking that's another docks you would be particularly concerned with. As the years when the docks and me, brother, what on the dis ox? You call them the dis ox? Absolutely, he did, come on, I really think he did. Brother, I'm working on the dess Ox, dude, Lizong Shorman locked, I was thinking of this businessness. Brother, let's go back to the Diz. Got to book. Those the fans, those brothers, Stone Cold, Steve, Door, Austin. Let's be honest about it, right, I mean, you're first coming. Absolutely, I actually proud of that one. So this is book number one, and how he talks about the docks. He's a chapter called the docs. The you mean the accurate one, the good doc. The accurate doc was George and Harry. And let's be clear about that. But we're going to try to, you know, as has become our custom on the complete Hull Cooke and compare and contrast uh the different versions in his two books and see if we can't come out somewhere in the middle. But this is important because if you remember, way back when we did our Terry Funk tribute, the Funk in trying to assign all the different massively important wrestlers that Terry Funk had an important hand in guiding their careers, if not outright making them as pro wrestlers. Hulk gave a very curious shout out to Terry Funk in his first book for being the one to physically come to the docks, having found out that this Terry Boulder, with all the promise that he had had given up on wrestling and convinced him right there on the docks to get back into the wrestling business. Hulk himself fingered Terry Funk for that job. Terry, of course never mentioned it, never took credit for it, probably because it didn't happen. But for some reason, Hulk decided to cast Terry Funk in that role as opposed to the two or three other people who he probably didn't like who actually deserve credit, which is what he tends to do a lot. So beware and be on the lookout for that little piece of the history as well as Huck here connects his time retreating to the docks with making it all the way to New York.
Speaker 3: For everyone on our little runs. I'd gone home to Tampa to wait for one of the promoters call me. Finally, one time I went home and stayed home. As far as I was concerned, I was done with professional wrestling.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: I came back to Tapa nineteen seventy nine. I headed to the one place I knew I could make money the diz Ox of Port tis Ampa brother a few years later, when I was training with her in my suit he was earlier. Rather when I was training with hearing my suita and selling off my musical equipment and trying to make ends meet. I had a friend named Anthony Barcelo, who had been the least singer in some of the rocket in some of the rock and roll bands I played with. Anthony had a wife and a child's support, so if his band wasn't working for a week, he'd go down to the Laborers Union and earn some money that way. And Anthony told me his father had strong ties with the union, so he could get me in if I wanted. I don't have any brighter prospects at the time, so I said, Hell, yes, I like a Vat's in quotes. Hell yes, yes, well it's a direct quote, he remembers saying. Course, So Anthony Barcello got me into the Laborers Union. And the way that worked as I would go to the union hall and they would have a bunch of metal folding chairs, about fifty of them, and everyone would sit down on those chairs and wait for their number to be called they would say, hey, here's a job your one day's wizard porn. It's a minute the missle brother so, and you go to them all that day. Then you come back and sit in the union hall again. But maybe the next time your number was called, they would say, you know, okay, Turmoila, you'll six months work on a government cleanup of a phosphate of a phosphate factory. You boy, you'd be happy to get that that job because it meant steady work. So I did the labor thing for about six months, splitting my time between that and getting beaten up by Hero Matsuda. So he's getting beat up. He went back to Hero Matsuda again. I thought this was seventy nine. Yeah, I guess it. Like so he's doing that okay. Then one day then he had guys to co down work on the twenty second Street causeway in Port Tampa. Turn out if the job was loading and unloading ships, coat and meat, root in vegetables. Enough about his stas, I don't know Planet Stasia. Enough about his grocery runs in Memphis. And once in a while they would have cars come off. I'll never get to unload the car, so it's basically hauled produce and stuff. No one, he's in the grapes, right, you get him for free, probably place it stuck a few off from himself. The job only lasted a week, but after that I became nosing around the docks again. What's going on?
Speaker 2: Brother?
Speaker 3: He clows up.
Speaker 2: You work, brother, You work anybody and anybody needs work.
Speaker 3: You need to work, you dude, what I'm I'm union brother, I'm union all the time below of the union, unionize. That's what I'm all about, brother.
Speaker 2: Tims him Mick Foley ken shameran big show test.
Speaker 3: And the steward of the long Shoreman's Union spotted me and said, I said, saw how big I was. So he said, how did you like to be a long shoreman? I'll toart you at ten bucks an hour. And I was good money in those days. So my first day I helped unload a ship for twelve or fourteen hours, and all of a sudden I was a long shortman. They got me to the union. Everything your funny thing. I was the only white guy in that union. Every day I'd be stuff alongside forty or fifty monster black guys. But the question of color never came up. Not for me, not for them. I just figured I was in a hole with a bunch of guys. Hey, Terry, do you mind if I bring up the question of color. I don't see color, brother, Well, that's kind of funny because you always get that razor blade.
Speaker 2: I'll get a good color. Only color. I see his red and green brother.
Speaker 3: Brother, that's the damn right. I just figured I was in a hole with a bunch of guys, sweating and cussing and talking trash, and I was okay because I felt lot at home, so I was unload these lives. Like remember when he was the fucking quiet little bit and all of a sudden, he's all about. He's all about. He never was sweating, cussing and talking.
Speaker 2: Fras he he felt like some moments of feeling bullied and ashamed and embarrassed, but he clearly wanted. He clearly walked around most of the time, peacocking around like I think I've come to that conclusion. You know, he wasn't this big old he was an oath, but he was massive. He was yes, you know, once he figured out that the weights, which was very early, as we've already documented, uh in his life in terms of like high school, towards the talent of high school.
Speaker 7: He was.
Speaker 2: He had girlfriends, he was cotting up with everybody, he was relating everybody. Fucking oh, definitely, fucking I mean we established that. I mean Coco Beet was a fucking big, fucking you know Mount Session Yep, yep, just fucking fucking fucking absolutely. So I was.
Speaker 3: Unloading these ships and working as many hours I could. You know, they couldn't wear me down back then, I'll sit there and drink coffee all day long. I was so into making the money the Missoni brother. If I could make a few hundred bucks every two days, I had to stay there and work my ass off. Where most guys would want to quit after eight hours. I had a different work ethic. I was hungrier, no shit, right, especially with they're working on that produce scrapes and shakes apparently yep. And all the lifting that I was doing, my arms were getting bigger and bigger. But as much money as I was making about for about six months, I'll figure something out that the Steve Door, the guy up on the the.
Speaker 2: Lethal weapon, Steve Doring related to Danny Doring. There's no way I haven't told that joke. Yet I must have said that already.
Speaker 3: Got the Steve Door, the guy up on the deck of the ships supervising the loading, was making even more. I's got a bunch of questions, you know, just do my homework. What's going on?
Speaker 5: Brother?
Speaker 3: It's rolling with Steve Door. Is it a guy getting a push? We'll see, well Steve Bore getting pushed old of this guy? Well, you're talking to Steve Door, brother, I'm working with Steve Style, dude.
Speaker 2: Is there a more fucking TBS nineteen eighty two job rather than Steve Door? Steve dor Door his last name is d O O R. And let me tell you he got kicked down every Saturday at six o five. He didn't get the door slammed in his face. Door got slammed on his face. It's calling with Steve Door.
Speaker 7: Brother.
Speaker 2: You're talking to Steve Door. He's a guy him deck dude, right, who's on deck? Brother?
Speaker 3: But there's Suppris and Lodan brother, so he.
Speaker 2: Had supervising the load and sound like kind of like what David Shels did.
Speaker 3: With what you making up there?
Speaker 5: Brother?
Speaker 3: How you making up there? You trying to get the.
Speaker 2: No wonder a huwk felt like he was getting fucked on the pay and wrestling, and you know you could come hit the Tampa and just like walk onto a facility and make like incredible bank.
Speaker 3: Doham, Steve Door brother, I take his job, dude, Canna roll him up, brother and get it from behind you. That's what he's saying. He did. So I'm asking a bunch of questions. You would just do o homework. I found out that when ships leave the port of Tampa. I found I found found out. Imagine a note pad.
Speaker 2: Guys eight feet tall walking around the docs like trying to play low key.
Speaker 3: Picture picture picture a whole cogan. Okay, exactly. He's fucking six'. Eight he's wearing he's wearing, uh you, know tight, jeans and he's got like a denim a denim button down shirt but cut, off, oh cut, off cut off sleeves all, right and like the button's dap down to you, know right below is right right right down to his.
Speaker 2: Belly all. Right, well you know what he, is he's the whole cogun on the cover of the pile driver out exactly exactly What i'm, picturing got the hard, hat but he's walking in a fucking notepad he's walking around and keeps in his back.
Speaker 3: Pocket you, know he's trying to fucking up with what's going with The Steve. Door i'll found out when the ships leave the Poor tampa For, Singapore, Bangkok Hong, kong And tookio and there's fifty, million fifty million billion pounds of meat on. Them you have to load the ship correctly and unload it correctly because if you, don't you'll sink the. Ship so wets house. Call he was all about sinking, ships, DUDE i, means WELL'S i was confident THAT i knew WHAT i was. Doing i'll talk about The Steve doors union A. Stevedor i'll direct to the load and unloading these big ocean going. Ships i'll check boxes and stamp them so everyone knew where they were. Going AND i was really excited to be doing this BECAUSE i was making six or seven hundred bucks a. Week it was huge that. Time So i'll figured, OUT idu this for a long time BECAUSE i still hadn't been given a professional wrestling.
Speaker 2: Match, OKAY i don't know what he's talking. ABOUT i, mean he never says anywhere that he did this work Before Super. DESTROYER i, mean he's also saying it's nineteen seventy. Nine, uh, okay this job is not, easy. Folks with this, guy it's it's actually the most ambitious truth, telling truth finding mission you can go. On as far as.
Speaker 3: Wrestling there is no coherent timeline. NEVER i, mean it is all over the. Place maybe there were, Two maybe he had a twin. Brother we no one ever fucking knew about. It at this, Point i'm willing to entertain the. Possibility you. KNOW i read something not too long ago it said he had a brother Named mike who was at.
Speaker 2: Home like?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah it was that article THAT i was just reading from, earlier from eighty five In tampa Where jack brisco is interviewed about Breaking Hull cogan in and we're Calling Fort Pierce. Elsewhere in that article it, says then he has a Brother mike at. Home it's, like, okay so.
Speaker 3: There's there's A Mike blay at. Home Guess Mike. BOWLEA i was just, like, okay, Man, wow. RIDICULOUS i, MEAN i guess you're talking About, uh that would Be, david but, no it would Be. Michael it Was Horse hogan's real, Name, Michael Michael David, Carrie Kevin chris on the. Line Fritz Horse hogan's real name.
Speaker 2: Was was Was Michael so maybe uh maybe he was living there as a, nephew and they missed took her for a, son.
Speaker 3: And then came out profess my little professional one With Eddie, graham My tom And Cocoa beach with White bridges and Ed leslie and my short lived career Is Kerry bull Or Stirling. Golden but all, along WHENEVER i have Some tom in my, hands head back to the. Docks so with my wrestling career behind, me SO i, THOUGHT i returned with the docks one more, time AND i got real comfortable down there working the. Ships it was a it was a predictable, existence unlike the wrestling. Business there wasn't an uncertainty. FACTOR i did my, WORK i got, PAID i got out. IT i got out of it exactly WHAT i put. In and all of a SUDDEN i had a call my old Friend Terry. Funk, okay so not only did they get a call From Terry, funk but old Friend Terry.
Speaker 2: Funk how's, That?
Speaker 3: Terry when when did? That when when did they? When what?
Speaker 2: Exactly he? WENT i mean maybe he came Through florida in seventy. Seven, maybe but it certainly wasn't not any card that we looked at to the point where he's an old friend though, Ridiculous it's completely.
Speaker 3: Ridiculous terry was a big name in the wrestling, business a second generation wrestler who had already been A National Wrestling Alliance world, champion you, know AND i was a mark BEFORE i got into the. BUSINESS i used to chase him around and ask him questions all the. Time doesn't make you his? Friend and ALSO i wanted him to do. THAT i wanna go ahead and get a funk out of.
Speaker 2: Here where's this blond?
Speaker 3: KID i just want to ask. YOU i just wanted a couple of questions due it was like being A terry brother in the wrestling.
Speaker 2: Ring he's just. WONDERFUL i gotta, GO i, GOTTA i gotta go Find doren's to say nothing Of. Vicky vicky Thinks i'm In. Oklahoma let me ask you, something, Kid are you In? Oklahoma you?
Speaker 3: Know fucking thing like?
Speaker 2: That? Wow why AM? I? Well My oklahoma? Dud what are you talking? About? Dude what's going? On? Okay?
Speaker 3: Look did you find An oklahoma brother's five minutes if you film In? Oklahoma, dude how about what HAVE i told you? That In Dick slater's book he was very good friends With Terry, funk he says That Terry funk one time saw a wolfman costume in his store and, Said.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get the wolfman. Costume we've got to get. It why you're gonna?
Speaker 6: Say?
Speaker 2: So he gets the wolfman, costume and he would walk around in the woods and try to make sudden dramatic appearances in the roadway so cars could see him in and, out so he could generate publicity for a wolfman being among. Us, OKAY i mean that's just an. Example Okay Terry. Funk, yeah, wait wait TILL i tell you The Skyway bridge.
Speaker 3: STORY i, mean this sounds like normal behavior to.
Speaker 2: Me sounds like a kind of guy, that uh would have Been Terry bulla's old friend much what?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: No that? Was that was the guy that was supposed to show up for your first.
Speaker 3: Match you watched my? Matches, dude going, on, brother are you talking to?
Speaker 2: Exactly one thing that is kind of well established is That terry, Knew terry fun un knew the kind of business That hulk did For Ron fuller In alabama was under the giant got that got to. Him, yeah he knew about, that and so he knew that there was a guy who was capable of filling. Buildings that does not mean they were closely, Acquainted, no not at, all but here he. Goes, Nonetheless terry was.
Speaker 3: A big name in the wrestling business Second jenerary from wrestler who had already been A National Wrestling Alliance World Champion house Of mark BEFORE i got in the. BUSINESS i used to chase him around and ask him a lot of awesome questions all the. Time you, know most of the wrestlers were mean to me in those, days and they're trying to scare me, off But Terry funk was always nice to. Me so it's one day he came down to the dogs for us working and, said what the hell's wrong with? You what do you mean you could be the biggest star in the wrestling.
Speaker 2: Business i'm sure it's what he. Said i'm going down to the damn, Docks, jerry where's the, dogs, Bitch we're going down to the, docks son of a. Bitch chucks Up, sarpolis what EXACTLY.
Speaker 1: I?
Speaker 2: Mean, yeah one day he just would have the docs to Find. Terry that's what did you?
Speaker 3: JUST i, MEAN i just you, know JUST I I i would give. IT i would give any any fucking. Money, okay to have been in the room Where Terry funk's like kind of in the he's he's preoccupied with, something and he's like he's he's like trying to do. Something he's gonna get out of the, house whatever it. Is and someone asked him a, question What i'd love. THAT i just want to say to you, here what what what are you talking? ABOUT i gotta get out of.
Speaker 2: Here with this with his hat like so high on his head that he's about to fall, off.
Speaker 3: Fucking like my Uncle, pats.
Speaker 2: It's like.
Speaker 3: Just fucking just just lays it on his head and try to put it.
Speaker 2: On say what you will about the complete hulk. Gain but every now and THEN i find my mind drifting to thoughts of the Lapsed. Funk oh for, sure one of a kind cent of a bitch tailor To. Terry's, okay, yeah, right here's the crossroads finally right. Here, yeah.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: Crazy i'm not interested in wrestler. Anymore i'll drow it two or three times. Now i'm not gonna make any money at. IT i don't jump off the top. ROPE i don't dropkick Brother aware to show. Me yeah, right we wanted, to And i'll COCAUS i can't fucking drop kick Brother.
Speaker 7: Terry.
Speaker 2: Fuck oh, Hell, terry you're gonna let that sound up a. Bit funk goes to the. Docks, hey you, actually.
Speaker 8: Fucking, dog you quit the. Business you could have been the biggest star of the damn. Business i'm gonna kick in the fucking. Balls i'm gonna throw you off the, dock your son of a. Bitch if you don't, Cut i'll tell you what it's. Like he's Like Ben affleck to Fucking Matt. Damon if you're still, Here i'm, LIKE i kick your. Ass i'm off every fucking, day every fucking des.
Speaker 2: Go, Baby.
Speaker 3: I'm not the most like a guy in the. WORLD i may look, GREAT i may have a physical, presence But i'm off this technical wrestler for The. Olympics on top of, THAT i told HIM i didn't lot the wrestling. LIFESTYLE i don't like all the drinking and the hell raised in the. Atmosphere, yeah, OKAY i just want to stay. Home, well there's this guy In New, york this promoter who heard about you when you were in The, Pensacola alabama territory and when you were In, MEMPHIS i, mean and he heard.
Speaker 1: All direct.
Speaker 3: Quotes he heard that wherever you would, wrestle the arenas would be sold, out and that the crowd really responded to, you and he wants to see. You Then Terry funk told me that this guy In New york was a good friend of his father who's also a. Promoter and this guy literally Ran Madison Square garden and his name Is vince McMahon authimistic man runs the world entertainment to. Day this Was vince's, Father vince mickmahon. Senior, really he isn't really A vincent McMahon, junior because you have to have the same middle. Name like that's how that, works, Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's. Not they called they called him, junior but you wouldn't see junior on his Birth.
Speaker 3: He also couldn't Be vince nickmon. Senior it wouldn't because it wouldn't make sense to call him.
Speaker 2: That, no, RIGHT.
Speaker 3: I didn't know the, name AND i Told HERRY i sold wasn't, interested AND i figured that would be the end of. It but the next Day terry called me at home and asked me to come down to The Florida Wrestling. OFFICE i didn't want to, go BUT i couldn't say no to him WHEN i got. There, No, No WHEN i got, there it wasn't Just Terry funk waiting for. Me jack And Jerry brisco were there, too and so Was Eddie graham and his Son. Mike oh fucking give me a fucking hard time bullying me right. Away he bullied me to go To New. York BUT i didn't want to go in, here But Mike graham fucking threatened, me, dude little. Bitch Mike, Graham, yeah mid, event.
Speaker 2: Midget.
Speaker 3: Yeah they also had in this room and talked to me LIKE i could a fucking intervention going on here pretty.
Speaker 2: MUCH i, Mean.
Speaker 3: Jesus, christ, LIKE i love how all these guys want him to go work someplace. Else you, Know Terry, Funk riscoes and The grahams want. HIM i, mean even though this is a bullshit, story but even if it were, true they don't want him to make money for. Them they want him to make money for somebody.
Speaker 2: Else don't forget, though don't forget the close ties Between Eddie graham And Vince senior and how they would share talent on the. Regular so If hulk goes To New york and hits it, Big eddie's thinking on the other, Side he's coming Into florida and make some. Money you.
Speaker 3: Know they also had this room and talks to me all. Along i've thought that his wrestlers really didn't lock. Me they said that wasn't. True they were just testing me to see IF i could stick it out or kick it. Out, brother, right IF i could make it so they, say.
Speaker 2: After they realize you can actually draw, money, right they pretend that it was all a master fucking.
Speaker 3: Play i've always said that we thought That Terry belaya was a big guy who could always made. MONEY i always thought he could make, money mister. McMahon, OH i always thought he could make, money mister. McMahon HAD i started the doc SO i THOUGHT i was a you, KNOW i had caves. In i'd give it. Up they gave me all this confidence THAT i could be a big star in the world of wrestling IF i came, back IF i just stayed with. It he kept working, hard and they SAID i needed to talk with Vincick. MAN i still wasn't completely, convinced but they got me to SAY i talked to, Him so they called Vincick Man senior and put him on the. Speakerphone vince, Said, HEY i want you TO i want you to come up north next. WEEK i was real horses. ASS i, Said i'll come, up But i'm not bringing my wrestling. Stuff i'll come up and talk to, you BUT i don't want to. Wrestle looking, back it didn't make any sense for me to say. That, HELL i was making the trip, anyway but those were the CONDITIONS i, made and this Man senior accepted, them SO i flew up. North that's it turned. Out they didn't bring, it and they didn't bring me In New. York they probably An, Allentown, pennsylvania and for the first TIME i came face to face with McMahon's.
Speaker 2: We're getting.
Speaker 3: Closer we are.
Speaker 2: Now why would he invent this part of the story Involving Terry. Funk, well maybe because if you Hear Jerry briscoe tell it as he told it to our Friend Brad, Bulucchian hulk And edge just showed up one day at The brisco's house started shooting some pool and that's where the idea was approached of him, going of course To New. York and if you don't want your if you don't want The, briscoes who you. KNOW i think by this point we've established that The hulkochan looked at kind of a, skance you, know kind of skeptically as to what their true intentions. Were if it was all just a big practical joke to make this big oaf think that we were breaking him into the business while all the time we were just entertaining ourselves with how green he was and incapable he. Was maybe you wouldn't want to give them that kind of central role in the. Story maybe that that's where the utility of Introducing terry Funk, is the guy who went down to the docks comes. From but Here Jerry brisco in conversation With Brad, beluccian tells us how he remembers playing a role and Getting terry back into the.
Speaker 9: Business right in that room where you came in WHEN i WHEN i first bought that, place that was a rec room and that's My florida room, there but it was a rec. ROOM i had a pool table in, There my brother was. OVER i think it was A friday. Night my brother brother was over and we're having a couple of beers and playing. Pool all of a sudden they get a knock on the. Door open the door and it's and It's terry And Eddie Leslie beefkay Is eddie at the, Time, hey, guys come on.
Speaker 5: In they come in and watch.
Speaker 9: Up and we'd always told you when we knew the place For terry to eventually.
Speaker 5: End up Was convince Mcmat.
Speaker 9: He knew because that's where all the big guys, went and we knew he was too big for this.
Speaker 2: TERRITORY i, mean you, know too, bad too big For Mike graham to allow him to be big in this.
Speaker 9: Territory thirty. Major you, know he's a heavyweight champion in the. World, Right Dusty road, was you, know six to one and three, hundred but he wasn't big.
Speaker 7: Big what do you Think terry's legit height was back?
Speaker 5: Then probably six six six. Seven.
Speaker 6: Yeah so EVEN i, mean that's interesting because even though your, OWNER i, MEAN i guess that goes to show the difference in the mindset back then that you're an owner Of. Florida but even though he could be he, was you, know it could be big money for.
Speaker 7: You you you were willing to you knew that he would end up in a.
Speaker 5: Difference we knew he.
Speaker 10: Did and.
Speaker 5: It was A southwice deal.
Speaker 9: Too we had a great working relationship With Vince senior because we were In South, Florida, Miami Fort, Launderdale West.
Speaker 5: Palm who goes down? There who in the? Winter card? Man it's A New yorkers down.
Speaker 9: There so we knew if he went up there and got all that and and if you wanted on a, magazine you had a. Head he used to send us up To New york so we'd get magazine. Cover because they were Fortunate bill after dad retired and moved down To West Palm, beach So bill would come down To florida to visit his, parents So florida would get get that. Exclusion, well we had a great working relationship with With Vince senior. ALWAYS i mean we had a invest McMahon senior CLASSIC i think down In, Hollywood florida and in vent and then both vincas we were. There we had that really good working relationship with the. Guy so we knew if he went up there that it would benefit us in the long run, also and and you, Know jack AND i we owned the, territory but we also if we were friends with, you you, know and you weren't getting along. HERE i can't tell you how Many ricky, steamboats The dutchman tells THE i can't Rick. MARTEL i can't tell you how many people that we sent out here to other. Places they were our friends and we wanted to see him to do. Good and we knew the long term set up Of florida that they weren't going to they were gonna get mid, level and they weren't going to get because they weren't gonna get Past. Dusty they weren't getting pass. Jacked they weren't get passed. Me certain might weren't get past my. Ground there were certain guys that they were the, problem would be stuck right and that they were much. Better so we looked out for our friends due when we had the connection because we were ownership and in a territory and we were able to.
Speaker 5: Call and place the.
Speaker 9: Guy so it was it was a friend, deal but it was also in the back of my mind when if he goes To New, york we're gonna we're still gonna have access to him anytime we, want and he's gonna have all that coverage and, everything so anyway they can come knocking on my. Door one, night we're in there playing, pool they GRAB. Q so they grabbed PULL q and a beer and we started be assing around And terry, said hey, man he, SAID i can't making on, this you know my shows on.
Speaker 5: THIS i got to go. Somewhere he's not making much.
Speaker 9: Money we're not making much, money And i'm jumping ahead because we'd already send him To. Tennessee that's where the first place we sent him To, tennessee we Called.
Speaker 2: Louis who was a booker here In.
Speaker 9: Florida And louis was a real bright booker and really really, astudent really sharp sharp. Guy it wasn't like by a lot of, gods but he. Was he was really good what he. Did and so we knew if we send him To, Louis louis would take care of, him take care of. Him on our, words we sent him To. Tennessee jack bought him another pair of, boots AND i gave him one hundred. Dollars bill told, him pay me back whenever you. Can by the, way he did pay me. Back and not with interest Though. Tennessee and we told him. There we told him at that, time, There, terry go up there and get you. Experience and when you think you're ready in your, mind don't listen to. Them but in your mind you think you're, ready you come back And jack will get you booked In New. York he'll Call Vince. Senior he'll get you booked In New. York right, then it was Just vince because there's no junior player at the.
Speaker 5: Time It's. Advance so they that's.
Speaker 9: Reading the knock on the door, Came i'm, Ready i'm, Ready i'm, Ready i'm, Ready i'm. Ready, well you had a good run up. There AND i always kept touch With louis and With jarrett And lawnern always knew that he was having to there go, there, goes, yeah they are. Here, wow they'll go over the neighbors over there and get some food over.
Speaker 2: There take a, moment what the fuck is.
Speaker 9: The, house and said we're, Ready we're. Ready So jack picks up the phone and and LIKE i, said at The, Friday friday Or saturday the water or not it, was and picks up the, phone Calls, advance And vance Takes jack's word on you telling him to come on up and come on.
Speaker 5: Up I'll i'll take care of. Him i'll take a look at. Him and so you all sat.
Speaker 3: There it is that's the. Story, wow all right there it. Is that's the. Truth the last fan wrestling.
Speaker 1: Podcast he's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast With jack n for AN SEO Mjp.
Speaker 2: Soro, well first of, all it's important to note that earlier in the, Conversation brad was asking him about Why hulk quit the business in the first place when he was working For, florida WHEN i was working for the office these guys, owned and he started telling this story Conflating hulk quitting the business the first time because he was being mistreated By Florida Championship wrestling according to, him AND i think according to a reasonable read of the, circumstances and this which is when he quit the business after being decided fight In memphis and then come back to the docks later. On he kind of realizes that there were two different. Episodes but it's just an example of kind of the difficulty here because people want to even congeal together holts different starts and, stops and wrestling is just one time he quit and one time he came in, right and this idea that like he knew all along That New york was an. Option like if he knew all Along New york was an, option why didn't he go there to begaining? Right why is he going back to the docks thinking this is What i'm making In memphis is What i'm going to make in the. Business and that's the beginning and end of. It And american people to get anywhere. Else, NO i, mean they realized he was making money and they couldn't underpay him, anymore and they wanted to keep making that, money and so they had to. DO i think what it took to facilitate him being able to access the kind of bank that he would leave the union work behind and, actually you, know see the kind of paychecks That New york could afford to cut and keep him in the business and, hopefully As jerry made very clear in those in those, comments win a bit on the back end when after becoming a name In New york and getting the magazine coverage and, such they could bring him back down To florida and start making some money off the. GUY i think that's pretty MUCH i think that's pretty much what we're dealing with. Here as far As Terry, Funk brad did talk to brisco about that component of, things Because brad came into a lot of these interviews having Read holts books as well as we're doing right. Now and here's What briscoe would say About Terry funk's roll or lack the rob in the whole thing.
Speaker 5: Problem it might have been.
Speaker 6: Winning and he also says That Terry funk played a role in encouraging him to keep.
Speaker 7: Going you remember.
Speaker 5: THAT i don't remember, that But Terry. Funk, Yeah, yeah That's.
Speaker 9: Terry And terry probably looked at him and saw the same thing that my brother AND i.
Speaker 5: Saw yeah, Yeah and about that one, Bit terry was down here a.
Speaker 9: Lot, Yeah And terry was a guy that liked hit the water and Established.
Speaker 2: Marcella, okay all, right he drank a lot and. Smile SO i MEAN i went in a little like detective mission to look at the record Of Hulk cogan's matches in seventy, nine which we pretty much have listed every single one of them this far in the, journey and try to find, out like where in this whole trajectory is there enough of a gap where he could have really gone back to the docks in a way where it's Like i'm, done you, know because if it was the clean break he talked, About he's not just going to go to the docks for one weekend and then wrestle the next. Weekend, right he makes it sound like he just Left, memphis like fuck. This AND i couldn't find any gap of any appreciable length in all of nineteen seventy nine for this. GUY i don't know where the hell this moment came where he went back to the docks and left the business behind And Terry funk had to come find. Him there's like a two WEEK i, mean he's pretty much working every week in nineteen seventy nine upon starting With Ron fuller In. March there is like a two week gap in the fall of nineteen seventy nine where he has his final match for The Memphis territory Against Ron bass On september sixth the Rupp arena In, Lexington. Kentucky it doesn't wrestle, again according To Wrestling data Dot com Until september twenty, ninth nineteen seventy, nine and that's not In New. York that's For Georgia Championship. Wrestling everyone that talks About Hall cogan's story here jumps From memphis To New. York but the fact of the matter Is georgia and his return To. Southeastern all those, matches Remember boss we covered at the end of seventy, nine after The PLAN B Knoxville war had played, out and Suddenly knoxville was opened up and sold in fact By Ron fuller To Jimmy, barnett and thus all of The georgia wrestlers that work for Jim barnett started to be able to go to those. Circuits hulk is now hyperactive in late seventy nine all over the. Place way before.
Speaker 3: He goes To New.
Speaker 2: YORK i mean, way not, way but clearly before he goes To New. York it's not like a little bit of this on a little bit of. That he does His georgia run and then he goes down there up, THERE i should say TO, wwf there's No he comes back and Mixes georgia And southeastern In knoxville a little bit back. Together towards the end of seventy, nine including The Christmas night losing of the, championship The Southeastern heavyweight title To Bob armstrong that we actually found tape of and. Watched it's so wrong to just like cut out the fucking NATIONAL tbs. EXPOSURE i think probably would happen more than, anything because just as much As Eddie graham had that connective tissue With vince, McMahon so Did, georgia Because georgia would borrow a lot From Eddie graham and would borrow a lot of talent in an. Exchange And Jim barnett had a good relationship With Vince senior as, well very good in. Fact you, know look at the fact That Jim barnett went to work For Vince junior in eighty three When Vin's junior had pretty much no credibility yet built up in the business as this kid that, was you, know in over his head trying to take over the old man's business and down, there you, know Because, jimmy as we talked about on The Black Saturday, journey had been so, disenchanted let's, say With Ollie, anderson who was accusing him of all kinds of misdeeds and really going to the mat trying to Force Jimmy barnett out of, power that he just went fuck this and went With, vince who then came down there and absolutely conquered all his ass and put him in his. Place so we had we had a situation where he's going To. GEORGIA i think he probably went To georgia as this conduit To New york more than the idea that Like florida figured they would get him back because he doesn't wrestle In. Florida the fact of the matter is he doesn't wrestle In. Florida in nineteen seventy, nine he wrestles For Georgia Champiship, wrestling he wrestles for THE, wwwf and he wrestles For southeastern and The knoxville shows we just talked. About he even goes and apparently wins the one of the elusive championships That Louis tillette didn't put on him in the first. Place but according To Ron, fuller led to him jumping To memphis at the end of the, day that they wouldn't strap him up In southeastern when he was, wrestling you, know for any period of, time when he's wrestling the likes Of Boston, Idol Knox, baker and so it's very strange that people remember him going from throwing his hands up in the wrestling business In memphis and then getting connected With vince McMahon out of like a sort of like a desperate plea to get him back into the wrestling. Business because he doesn't go To New york right. Away in, fact he goes to a gig that's just about as high profile as any other gig he had Before New, york which Is. Georgia there's actual tape of. This everyone who had, cable satellite, cable which if you, know admittedly was very limited penetration at the, time but it's not like he was operating just this little corner of the wrestling world that nobody outside the confines Of atlanta was able to. See this is The Sterling, golden this is Where Sterling golden comes. From it's this is this is We this is holes so, convoluted even for wrestling, history it really.
Speaker 3: Is it's really crazy.
Speaker 2: Because everyone's version of the, story like when you look at the actual chronology of where he was and when it just can't be that it doesn't make any sense that what went that, way like the fact that nobody has as part of their. Story, yeah he went to FUCKING, tbs which was the biggest wrestling territory time with the sickest television clearance from a national, perspective And Jimmy barnett running point one of the most respected and kind of enterprising and dominant and select promoters in the. Business no one mentions when he did when he went To. Georgia even in his own. Books hulk is very opaque about when he was actually In. Georgia AND i think we've established very. CLEARLY i think you'd, Agree, boss having at all the newspaper, clippings all of the newspaper, advertisements for all the matches That hulk did For Ron fuller and For Jerry jarrett And Jerry, lawler he had not been Called Sterling. Golden he just had.
Speaker 11: Not.
Speaker 2: NO i, know there's that loose end Of Ron fuller saying on his podcast that On Southeastern Television Terry boulder would often have verbal battles with his Manager Billy spears Over Billy speers wanting to call Him Sterling golden when he preferred to be Called terry The Hulk. BOULDER i see no evidence of that. Whatsoever there's not a single newspaper ad and the newspapers down there where he's ever listed As Sterling golden as far AS i can, tell until he goes To. Georgia so where does The Sterling golden thing? Happen if he goes straight From memphis To Vince senior and Becomes Hulk, coogan because that's that's where he gets the. NAME i don't, know But i'm here to tell you that if there's any gap at all in his nineteen seventy nine where we might be able to pencil in his sort of like hiatus from the, business it would be Between september sixth And september twenty ninth of nineteen. Seven but just to hear others like Those facebook, posts it was it was even before. That it was in seventy eight that he was active in and. Out so we're doing our best, here and we're laying all the facts on the. TABLE i guess it's up to you to. Decide so you've only conveyed his first. Book how about his second? Boss how about his second bite at the? Apple let's see if we can detect an irregularities here and consistent here coming to the boss, Man go right, ahead no, Boy.
Speaker 3: So part of me was wondering that part of me, Was, yeah part of me is turning to wonder if my music career had a cap on a top of the. Two and HERE i was my early twenties and already starting to give up in between. BANDS i wound up falling back on an Old Port tampa, mindset trying to lanne a regular, job a THING i SWORE i never.
Speaker 2: Do you.
Speaker 3: Know one of the first PLACES i applied Was Tampa Electric Company. Tech the general feeling around town was and if you worked for Electric, company want a job to GET i was security for. Life But i've never heard back from. Them another TIME i applied At Honeywell Electronics company that was another big deal employer Or. TAMPA i never heard back from them, either you. Know, FINALLY i applied At Anheuser. Bush you'll he had a big plant Between tampa And Saint. Pete SO i, thought AND i, thought IF i could get in there and start unloading the beer off the, Trucks i'm gonna work my way. Up that's what everyone always told. Me you, know you could wind up driving one of those trucks and making at promoted a, supervisor and then you can be district. MAN i want to know who said. THIS i know that's a loss to. Him that's a. Lot who, Said, Oh, terry you could become district manager. Someday, oh that's pretty fucking exciting to. Me on and on and if you do, that if you put in your twenty five thirty Years anhuis Or, bush you'll be. Set. Well guess. WHAT i never heard back from. Them the one PLACE i did find work was on the Diz ox on the off the twenty Second street. Causeway AND i was around two undred and fifty pounds in those, days a lot more cut THAN i am. Today you could actually see my stomach muscles back and then instead of this one big ABB i got now and the Time i'd spend At hector's gym made me strong enough to do some big. Lifting Anthony barcelo one of the lead singers in one of the one of the seven or eight. BAMS i was in seven or eight? Bands did we count seven or eight?
Speaker 5: Pans?
Speaker 3: THING i did you get? THERE i think it was more like four or. FIVE i don't, KNOW i was seven or. Eight, yeah you, know helped me. Out his dad was in The Laborers union and he got my name on the. Books so every Time i'd get sick of a, band when the guys were bitching and, COMPLAINING i go back and put my name on those. Books is a way to change gears and make. Money. Yeah first they sent me out on construction, jobs on pouring concrete or helping electrical. Workers and one day if they send me out at the docks to help load and unload. SHIPS i took to that real, quick AND i was good at anything to do with. Math doesn't want to came to paydays.
Speaker 5: Every one, AGAIN i know.
Speaker 7: A.
Speaker 3: Word you can't any money, exactly and figuring out how to load these ships the right. Way it was all about math and. Balance it is important too if you had a big ship going To singapore Or tokyo and that shit zip wasn't loaded, correctly you could sink.
Speaker 1: It no.
Speaker 3: Joke they threw me down in the, hole AND i worked real. Hard at the point where they invited me to join The Longshoreman's. UNION i was the first white guy ever to get into Long Short's Humian Longshores union Long Shoreman's Union union In, tampa believe it or. Not and MORE i, worked the BETTER i got to figure out how to load these these ships and these big containers on meat and fertilizer or whatever the product of the day. Was So i'd always do it just the right. Way so they kept me on these twelves before they kept they kept me in this in this. Version so they kept me on these twelve the fortune hour ships for about six months UNTIL i was good at, it and they invited me UNTIL i was so good at they invited me to join The Steve Doors. Union that was a really big. Deal Steve doors were the guys on the deck of the ship telling everybody word like put the, load just like, uh just Like bubba's. Wife, yeah good.
Speaker 2: ONE i uh see here he's framing it in a second book as the docks stuff as being coincident with his music, career like it's something that he starts doing out of frustration with the music not going. Well but if he, like, no he had given up music by the time he went in and tried to make it as a pro. Wrestler After Cocoa, beach he was out of. Music SO i don't understand how he remembers doing the docks as something he did between. GIGS i think he's or maybe the author is conflating him taking work in The Laborers union With, barcelo which he.
Speaker 3: Did What i'm What i'm What i'm wondering is, though did it seems like what he said in both books that he'd always go back to the docks whenever something was. Ending so it's like he probably started the. Docks we know he, started we know he started the docks right in when he was around the, bands but then he just kept going back to it after wrestling gigs.
Speaker 2: Whatever Is, yeah it sounds like, right it sounds like he it sounds like after getting involved with The Labor's, union like he kind of told the story in the first, book he kind of dipped his toe in The Steve doring and kind of became aware of that side of things right, right and maybe did a little bit of you, know introductory work and then later went whole, er more whole hog into. It because it just DOESN'T i don't, know it doesn't add up that he was taking doc work while he was still involved in the.
Speaker 3: Music that was that was.
Speaker 2: Different that was like the the hard labor construction kind of jobs that he was talking, about like the the phosphate plant or. Whatever he.
Speaker 3: Said, anyway it's just you know this is our. STRUGGLE i know this is Exactly that was a really big Deal, seawards so there al was a big man in charge up on, deck roasting in the hot. Sun BUT i just kept picturing That Port tampa death, dude THAT PtD. BROTHER i didn't want to live and die on those diss hawks. BROTHER i wanted something different from my. LIFE i was still. YOUNG i couldn't give, in not. YET i KNEW i had to walk. Away your music wasn't, perfect but at LEAST i was having fun looking at it out in a crowd full of beautiful girls and not sweating up on a container ship all. Day AND i landed one of those JOBS i applied. For who knows what would happened if somebody had called me back and hired me A Tampa electric and all those all these friends started congratulating me on landing a great. Job i'd probably still be working there. TODAY i might even be retired by. Now i'm SURE i would have been a linesman with my own, crew a forman like my. DAD i would have grown my go. Tea i'm SURE i would have lifted weights and taking steroids and become a legend in my own mind standing on the side of the road all buffing ten with my hard hat, on posting as everybody drove, by being that guy that everyone wanted to be wanted me to be. Friends took those gigs who turned up a temp job unloading trucks into a twenty year. Career And i'm sure If i'd have the opportunity making four or five six hundred bucks a week that big union, MONEY i would have done it. TOO i just thank God i'd never panned. Out, honestly at that point in my, LIFE i was nothing more than a two hundred and fifty pound piece of. PUDDY i had no, SKILL i had no. TRADE i didn't have a degree in accountant or. BUSINESS i never even thought about becoming a doctor or or a lawyer or a dentist or let alone a marine bolishes or something interesting like the fucking they talking about talking. About, Honestly, okay, yeah so you never even thought. It so if you never thought about, it why do you even bring it up in this? Book, like if you never thought about, it who? CARES i get.
Speaker 2: It you didn't want to have a, Job, okay exactly know that's like the whole secret to all this is that's what the wrestling business thrives off.
Speaker 11: Of AN.
Speaker 2: Mma to some extent, too it's like just high school lasts, forever, right they'd want people who don't want to have. Jobs, yes, getcha all, RIGHT i hear. You and that's how you can underpay. Them and you know WHAT i, mean all that stuff coming out Of port, damn but that mindset was just never, there you. Know it was just it wasn't something that you even dare to think. ABOUT i was.
Speaker 3: LOST i was just looking for someone to point me in the right. Direction The Bond june seventy, six this pattern of movement between rock and roll And heart Our labor was really. Getting there's no way in seventy sixties on the, docks that's. No, YEAH i agree with. That oh he's on the docks before he goes To, metsuda. Right but thing he started to click with this band Called Rocks Cross Brother, rocks.
Speaker 2: And so yeah again he puts it as as as something that happens during The ruckus. Days went to, me this happens all after The ruckus. Days but, yeah, right here's another bit where it gets us through To Vince senior from his second, book didn't come through yet did he hit?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 3: Brother after a, While well we'll see. There oh, wait here we. Go, sorry it did come through after a. While the rays up to a hundred bucks are so it didn't make any. Better you, know that was still just just a. PRIZE a few seats in the whole? Arena was that ALL i was? WORTH i knew a good portion those fans were there to see. ME i built a. FOLLOWING i was one of THE i. WAS i was doing spots ON tv and helping to probe the whole. Thing well he's just doing spots ON. Tv, jesus come, on, BROTHER i KNEW i deserved. MORE i KNEW i was worth. More so when was clear that there were no giant raises in my, FUTURE i took a step back and try to reevaluate the whole. Situation my, conclusion wrestling for no money. Sucks so this is jumping ahead Into. Memphis, yeah, yeah so that was. That once, AGAIN i decided to. QUIT i drove back down To, tampa WHERE i always returned WHENEVER i wait a few days. Off this, TIME i really THOUGHT i was quitting for. Good Just roth thought it was. Out chapter. Seven Just roth thought it was. Out BROTHER a lot of, part AND i knew seventy. NINE i set myself up in a room with The expressway in a.
Speaker 2: HOTEL i. Know Fucking, yet so latter part of seventy. Nine that does add up with that, gap that gap THAT i detected in his wrestling. Record so there's.
Speaker 3: That, Okay, yeah fucking he's always fucking.
Speaker 4: Living in the.
Speaker 3: Hotel why can't he move back?
Speaker 2: Home, no because he doesn't want. To he doesn't want. To he doesn't want to have an anchor. Anywhere you, know he's a, vagamond he's a he's a, gipsy wants that, life and he's he's gonna get it in music or wrestling or some. Way he's going to get a life where he is not tied.
Speaker 3: Down, DUDE i guess it's just this is fucking wacky that he's always, that he's he's always fucking you know, that that that that he can't go back To pete And ruths don't get. That some don't you dare come here living to live with, me you fucking. Asshole that might have been part of the problem. Too now he's taken any more of your fucking calls from those damn fake. Athletes she fuck.
Speaker 2: Her she didn't pass them through, anyway according To, jerry which is to blame for the whole. Misunderstanding but you, KNOW i can just picture him being like so gotten too by the idea that you, know IF i go back To tampa and like really like live there, Again i'll never get, out you, Know i'll end up getting one of these one of these dreaded jobs that will keep me pin there for the rest of my. Life you can tell that that's like it's a classic you, know rock and, roll you, Know wanderlust kind of. Exactly it's, all, yeah it's that's that's that's the, uh that's that's the, dreamer you, know, right the dreamer fears the ordinary, life, right he fears he's going to get co opted by, it and then it's going in a situation where you CAN'T i get. It, yeah IT'S i.
Speaker 3: Understand, yeah it wants to you. Know, Yeah i'm with.
Speaker 5: You, yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 3: UH a lot of Her sullivan a room with The expressway and for eleven dollars or nine put AND i put my name back on the books at The Long shortman's And Steve Drs. Unions i'll still a member of. Both that's, why that's why you're for. Wrestling he's already part of a bunch of fucking back on the. Books, okay so, yeah that adds up that he was involved in seventy, Eight but he makes it seem like it was. All he doesn't make it seem like that was during The Cocoa beach. Days but we know nineteen seventy eight was Exclusively Coco. Beach that was his whole. Life so he doesn't ever conflate those. Two he never he never seems like he works at dogs. Then but it had to be right because if he's saying in seventy nine he put his name back on the, books and we know how busy he was in. Wrestling but if we talk about, though if we think the idea that he actually did try that he did get a job as a longshortman from his Band Buddy ye when he was doing the, band and then he kept going back and forth to, IT i CAN i can see that maybe in somebody he didn't work the docks and then he's put his name back on the books after a couple of. Years maybe. Yeah, Yeah AND i was.
Speaker 2: With that too UNTIL i looked at a map Of, florida And i'm, like if this Guy Billy johnson remembers working with him In Fort, pierce there's no way because that, way that's that's way too far on the other side Of. Florida it's it makes a lot more sense that he did that while In Cocoa beach game.
Speaker 3: Whatever, yeah all that time From Cocoa, Beach alabama And, MEMPHIS i kept paying. DUES i guess in the back of my, MIND i wanted to have something to fall back. ON i was only back In tampa for about a week WHEN i was stopping into The Imperial, room this bar where all the wrestlers used to wind up after The tuesday night match and we go, again AND i ran into a wrestling Named Terry. Funk, oh now this is at The Imperial. Room that's, right all, right here we. Go stop the fucking press. Book, one he's on the, docks on the. Docks terry walks up to, Him what the.
Speaker 7: Hell are you?
Speaker 3: Doing what are you doing on the, docks your dumb. Funk, two it's in The Imperial. Room Imperial, Room give me a fucking, break. Guys he was really surprised to see. Me he said he'd been trying to find. Me all of a, Sudden jack And Jerry brisco came over and they were doing the same. Thing what.
Speaker 2: What the fuck?
Speaker 3: Happened where the hell are you?
Speaker 7: Being?
Speaker 3: CARY i told HIM i don't. Quit i'm not doing the shit. Anymore they didn't.
Speaker 2: Want to hear.
Speaker 4: That we've been trying to get a hold of. You where the hell are you living? Now So ruth isn't passing the. Message god damn. IT i keep Telling. Ruth you don't give him the damn, Message i'm gonna kick your. Ass bence McMahon has been calling us From New york trying to get tracked you. Down where's where's this? Hulk he says on the, Phone, hey where's this?
Speaker 7: Hell?
Speaker 3: Uh he heard about what you're doing In memphis and how all the arenas were sold. Out he wants to see. YOU i was so down on the whole. THING i really didn't. CARE i, said, Guys i'm not. Interested i'm going back to work on the. Dogs i'm just gonna stay here In. Tampa i'm Gonna. Tampa, oh The expressway In, yeah. Exactly i'm just gonna buy a room in The expressway In, Dude i'm wanna buy property in The expressway In i'm leaving the.
Speaker 2: Business i'm sick of this road, life, Brother but you know, What i'm still gonna live in a. Hotel Right and the next day that brisk goes pretty much hijacked, me dragged me down to this. Sportatorium come, here your job set?
Speaker 3: Up, then hijacking is quite different than him knocking on their door to play. Pool, yeah, right and we walked. In Eddie graham was. There but NOW i guess we all made peace in my, absence BUT i didn't quite get. Anyway they get visit Man A senior on the. Phone later on as so Physical Man junior would take over and help turn the organization to an international. Phenomenon but for, Now Vin senior was still the, man and The New york territory was. His you, know McMahon, said you, Know New york's a big man's territory. Here we've been watching, you and you, know we're really interested in. You we want you to come up, here and you, know why don't you come up here and wrestle ON tv and we'll see if you're as good as everyone says you, were and if the Crowds levy as much as everybody else says they. DO i told HIM i wasn't interested in you, know when he asked, WHY i told him about how much MONEY i was, making HOW i could have send driving nine hours just For russell three. Minutes and THEN i was pretty much sick of the whole. THING i don't think you care about how much you wrestle as long as you get, paid, right, yeah, yeah if you were a, matter if you.
Speaker 2: Were but you, know here's the, bullshit, like and we heard it From we heard it From Michael Saint john in, Particular. Terry terry was working With Jerry. Lawler, okay he was In Jerry lawler's. Orbit those guys got paid In. Memphis if a lot of people didn't get paid In, memphis up and down the, card, Right but people that work With Jerry lawler got. Paid so if he, was if he felt, like you, know The memphis money was like slave, WAGES i don't, know, man it. DOESN'T i, MEAN i don't think he like it seems like, honestly it feels like he was making more money In memphis than he was doing on the. Docks it seems that, way doesn't.
Speaker 1: It it?
Speaker 2: Does he just didn't like driving, around, Right that's what it came down. To he didn't like the long road.
Speaker 3: Trip right. Exactly he's a fucking, listen he's a.
Speaker 2: Towny he's someone that doesn't, want, Right he's someone that doesn't want to be tied down in his hometown with a hometown job and a hometown you, know, destiny, Right but he also doesn't want to do the things you have to do to not be.
Speaker 12: That.
Speaker 3: Listen IF i bet if he could, have if he could, have if he could have, wrestled, okay if he could have been a pro, wrestler make him the kind of w money that he would eventually, make and only wrestle In, tampa he would have done.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah that's why it's such a damn tragedy that they didn't see in. Him What louis to Let Ron, Fuller Jerry JARRETT i saw in him was if he you, know if they pushed him appropriately in seventy, seven they'd had all this to, themselves they would have gotten all this money off this, guy and instead he's got to play all these fucking games and end up in and ends up In New york, anyway, right, Right, hey you could do so much. Better McMahon, said you never have the opportunity to make you the money you need to, Make, terry this is where you, Belong Madison, Square god In New, york the big. Time you belong, Here and just come up here and meet me face to face and see what you. THINK i was a heck of a. Salesman follow.
Speaker 7: ME i.
Speaker 3: Can't it's sort of sort of, Okay i'll And i'll talk to, you But i'm not bringing my wrestling. Boots so he flew me up north And i'm at vincit at a stadium In, Allentown, pennsylvania where THE wwwe shot THEIR tv matches every three. Weeks we call that a, stadium but all, right yeah, right he called it a fucking farmhouse farm exactly a fucking. HANGAR i, know yeah right.
Speaker 1: He.
Speaker 3: Was he kept staring at me over the over the top of his. Glasses WHEN i walked. IN i balled me up and, down and he couldn't believe how BIG i. WAS i just come up with this big steroid run And i've, been you, know wrestling non. Stop how is he wrestling non stop and working the TIME i thought he had? Done the exact opposite is it regards to keeping. Busy let's not forget this. TOO i, mean we've got enough hints coming up through the surface, Already Charlie, platt seeing the vials, everywhere the gym, life the shadiness AROUND, fbi sniffing around the, uh the anchor. Club and maybe the Reason terry was able to make such a richer, living, okay quitting the business was because he knew how to move. Product all, right that is. TRUE i think we need to keep that in. Mind this is kind of like a subcurrent under all this. Stuff we gotta keep we, goetta we always got to think about the.
Speaker 2: Pipeline and maybe that's why he was so fascinated by the, docks because where else are you going to move?
Speaker 3: This, true that's a very good. Point that's. Right. Listen you can get fresh product coming in off the. Boats, yep come, on you. KNOW i just think it's worth, mentioning especially if this is a big. Exercise and how much Is terry netting at the end of the day in wrestling Versus Steve doring and other? Ventures, okay other, ventures let's. See uh also my mid. Twenties I'm i'm a biological. Peak no Other restler looked like, me AND i knew. That it's like everything else in. Life IF i If i'm going to work, OUT i work. Out, okay. GREAT i don't know what that. Means, YEAH i.
Speaker 5: Don't know what that.
Speaker 3: Means i'll either get give you. Credit IF i want to work, OUT i.
Speaker 2: Don't SO i think it was the Comedian John lesois who, SAID I i hate working out almost as much AS i love not going to the.
Speaker 3: Gym, yes, LISTEN I i, Yep i'm still.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 3: Listen i've.
Speaker 4: Been i've.
Speaker 3: Been i've been going to the gym so fucking faithfully in the last six, months, okay like crazy. FAITHFULLY i have yet to want to go to the. GYM i have. NOT i get the text from my, friend And i'm hoping that he's going to, say, hey my kid's. SICK i can't go to the gym. Today what a wondrous. Day that would be glory fucking every day every. DAY i want it to. HAPPEN i want an excuse is to not go to the. Gym but at, least at Least i'm in a place where it's like he text, ME i get, IT i get just get a fucking. Go but like, MAN i. MIGHT i don't get. IT i don't get people who want to go to the. GYM i don't get people who like going to the. GYM i get no enjoyment out of. It the only, enjoyment the only ENJOYMENT i get is walking out at the end of. It i'm Happy i'm. Leaving that's definitely not the Wavelength aultster was, on not at. All AND i, LISTEN I i, WISH i WISH i could enjoy. IT i WISH i could enjoy, it BUT i want to get out of there as fast as fucking possible kind of. Stuff it's it's and, listen And i'm. THERE i do an, hour do an. HOUR i do an hour every fucking day almost. Anyway And i'm not saying.
Speaker 12: That.
Speaker 3: Listen i'm not saying that to.
Speaker 2: BRAT i.
Speaker 3: Listen i'm trying to be trying to be. Healthier But i'm saying it BECAUSE i fucking hate.
Speaker 2: It, YEAH i hate. It and then you have this guy who's, like, right doesn't know what to. Do it would literally kill himself if he, couldn't, yes, exactly if he couldn't go to the fucking. Gym IF i want to work, Out i'll work. OUT i would either get the biggest arms in the world or explode them. TRYING i was eating everything inside. TOO i saw the perfect wrestler should have big arms and a big. BELLY i just thought that's the way you should. Look that's like fucking like Uh. Putski, yeah like what he used to look like the, seventies fucking barrel of a. Man so fucking funny that a bodybuild or six pack wasn't the way to. Go it was too.
Speaker 3: Unreliable it's so unrelatable to the. Crowd, now that's WHY i. See so it wasn't just because you wanted to eat everything inside and you were rationalizing you could because you're going to the gym right. Right it's because you didn't think that's what the. Crowd you wanted to relate to the. Crowd, fuck you wouldn't be above bullshit. EXACTLY i really didn't want to wrestle, anymore BUT i stuck around that night to watch the. MATCH i was wearing a tied eyed, shirt kind of Like Superstar Billy graham always, wore And graham was at his peaking popularity at that. Point i'll be, HONEST i really did try to emulate his look AS i was coming, up LIKE i, said the idea of stealing a little bit from all the best wrestlers with my whole game plan right from the. Beginning in, fact at that, moment with my, hair with my hairline receiding and, EVERYTHING i looked just like the, guy or at least a younger version of the. Guy so WHEN i stuck my head out from behind that curtain to see what the crowd was, like all of a, sudden a whole bunch of people THOUGHT i was him and Superstar Billy. Graham they started. Yelling Vince cedar saw that and, said, hey don't have a, wet tight eye. AGAIN i think that reaction made him realize what he could do with.
Speaker 5: Me it.
Speaker 3: Was it was like starting over with a brand new, Superstar Billy, graham having this young superstar that he could build and mold in his. Organization oh, yeah that's, yeah that's why he Saw Billy graham and you because you had the tight eyed, shirt not because he sounded exactly like him on, promos right and fucking blonde hair and yeah you, know yeah, Right TODD i. Shirt that's exactly what it. Was if that mind took me to. Dinner he made. Up he made up his. Mind, Look i'll set you up an, apartment he, said in West, Haven, connecticut where all the wrestlers.
Speaker 2: Lives h.
Speaker 3: That's they fucking lived in West. Haven they, Did, yeah, really they really. Did that's where they fucking. LIVED i guess you don't want to pay for a fucking h you, know real estate In New York. City but, yeah it's so fucking weird to, me West, haven of all fucking. Places i'm also gonna put you with a guy Named Tony Altamore altamar out To, mara out To. Maraw, yes you know.
Speaker 2: It'll drive you everywhere and take care of everything so you don't have to do that for yourself.
Speaker 3: Anymore see that's.
Speaker 2: Him, yeah that's he hates driving right, Exactly and all of a sudden like he's in if there's a, driver you, know why drive WHEN i could tan what you couldn't, Though but whatever we, do, WELL i.
Speaker 3: Want to drive SOMEPLACE i can just sit in town is outside, brother than drive anywhere just south side my, son, Brother Crispin bacon.
Speaker 2: Just not holding not as a union, checker that's not, no exactly. Exactly, no he wants to do it out of, luxury not out of. Necessity Al tomorrow Was Captain alabama's tag team, partner AND i made wrestle us The sicilians back in the, day And i'll give you a guarantee that makes it eight hundred a week look like chump.
Speaker 4: Chain.
Speaker 3: Yeah the funny thing, IS i don't even remember what the number.
Speaker 6: Was.
Speaker 3: Bullshit you come up here And i'll make you a star In New. York what struck me more than the money was how Vinsick man seemed to really be bend over backwards trying to get me to come To New, york the place that was the top of the wrestled food. Chain it sure was a whole world of difference From, Tampa alabama Or. Memphis was it the tip of the food, chain.
Speaker 2: Top of the food? Chain, YEAH i mean it was what was just to be, Clear New? York, yeah in, Wrestling, yeah, YEAH i would say, so, yeah, okay, yeah short of Like, japan which was just starting.
Speaker 3: To well what about what About? Mini what About?
Speaker 2: Minnesota M, yeah well, paid well paying, territory easy. SCHEDULE i think if you if you were to like netted out as like for hours worked so to, speak days, Worked minneapolis paid as well As New, york But New york paid the. HIGHEST i, See, yeah it's pretty WELL i think accepted that was the.
Speaker 3: Case so, yeah you have you.
Speaker 2: Have to pay a lot of money for These southern boys to go deal with the. Snow IF i An Austin idol said fuck, this it's just too much, snow as Did Jack brisco and so many others over the. Years but uh, so there it is the linkage Between, memphis The, docs And New. York did he Mention georgia there at? All Boss? No why so? Strange in, fact in his first, book he he, says, quote there was also a short period of time in nineteen seventy eight WHEN i worked for a promoter Named Jim. Barnett nineteen seventy. Eight you did not wrestle a single match in nineteen seventy.
Speaker 1: Eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah elsewhere in your own books you talk about how you took nineteen seventy eight off to Hit Cocoa beach With Ed. Leslie WHAT i, mean, why what's up With? Georgia it's clear as day that, he after this hiatus From, memphis went to work For georgia Before New. York as he Writes Jim, barnett who worked out Of atlanta for The National Wrestling, alliance the biggest wrestling organization in the world at the. Time Jim barnett was openly, gay flamboyantly. Gay he took one look at me with my tan and my muscles and my long blonde, hair, said oh my, God i'm gonna call You, sterling my, Boy Stirling. Golden, Yes so WHEN i wrestled For Jim, BARNETT i Was Sterling. Golden so there you. Go that's the. Name it's not From Ron. Fuller it didn't exist before. This WHEN i wrestled For lawler And, GARD i Was terry The Hope. Boulder but no matter what NAME i, used one thing stayed the. SAME i wasn't making very much. MONEY i was wrestling seven days a, week which translated into ten or eleven matches too And, wednesday, two One, saturday and two On. Sunday and the biggest CHECK i ever got for a whole week was one hundred and twenty five. DOLLARS i DON'T i do not believe. That in, fact did we have we had a check where he got more than? That, yeah for the week ending whatever it. Was what was that.
Speaker 3: Amount i'm gonna find. It i'm going a spiteful mood right. Now BUT i mean we also know he was Making someone talked about making eight hundred bucks In.
Speaker 2: Yeah he did In.
Speaker 3: Memphis he. Did.
Speaker 2: Yeah in his own, book his second, book he talked about, that AND i think this is his first book That i'm reading from.
Speaker 6: Here it.
Speaker 2: IS i, mean, god, man what the? Fuck, Uh i'm gonna get the check right? Now you want to play? Games?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: RIGHT i mean we're talking about literal. Receipts, yes.
Speaker 2: Exactly we're to see the Homie matt who wouldn't miss a? Trick, Yeah may twenty Sixth, Okay charett well Ch enterprises checks four hundred ninety seven Dollars may twenty six for the week Ending may twenty.
Speaker 3: Fourth.
Speaker 2: Member we were wondering what w SLASH e. Was, yes that's. Weekending according to an Enterprising Solar system member who, Wrote, okay what about that, Check, terry does that not count the biggest check you ever? Got it checks like almost three times as. Much that got tired in a, hurry, brother after every one of my little RUNS i got home In. Tampa i'll wait for one of my promoters to call. Me finally one TIME i went home and stayed. Home as far AS i was, CONCERNED i was done with professional, wrestling and, Yes. Melzer meltzer helps it make some, SENSE i. Think in his obituary For, terry he recalls In july of seventy nine an angle On MEMPHIS, tv which we watched last time on The Complete Hull. Coogan We're Ron bass And Pete austin were beating. Down Eddie boulder did a promo calling his big brother The hulkin to help. Him they had a tag team. Feud terry ended up kind of splintering off and Challenging Ron bass many times for The southern title full time in the Territory meltzer right through Early september When Terry funk hooked him up With. Barnett now see that makes a lot more sense because you, Know terry was much more of an EMISSARY i think for The atlanta office And Jim barnett kind of at the highest peak of THE, nwa like Cause barnett was booking out while he you, know was Booking, georgia not the whole. Country he was booking out THE Nwa world, Champion Jim barnett was the guy to. See he was the guy negotiating the dates for the world champion and who got DIBs on him and collecting at ten percent or whatever the booking fee. Was for all intents and, Purposes Jim barnett was THE nwa powerbroker at that point in, time and the champion was very much concentrated In, georgia which is why When dusty Hit GEORGIA tv he won the. Belt Tommy rich had that title win all of a, sudden it was, like if you were on That georgia, television you were the biggest star in THE. Nwa even if there were a, huge you, know swaths of this country that had never even heard of, you you were in contention and. Consideration so that makes that makes a little more. Sense not That Terry funk hooked him up With vince, McMahon which you Know Hull cogan said was the, case but that he actually hooked him up With Jim barnett because he goes to work For georgia. First meltzer, Writes funk Talked Jim barnett into bringing him Into. Georgia But Ole, Anderson barnett's, booker always said he wasn't impressed and claimed he fired him hogand that sounds about that makes. Sense we will certainly get, there ladies and. Gentlemen just Because hogan doesn't PLACE gcw in his career trajectory doesn't mean we will fail to on that fucking complete. Okay hogan claimed the same and told a story about quitting wrestling and working in the loading docks In tampa Until Terry funk got him INTO. Wwf meltzer, writes of, course none of that was, true as would be the case of much of What hogan said over the, years including in his first autobiography that was largely, fiction as were most of his. Interviews but he understood how to talk to people to like, him and as he spoke softly acting, sincere he understood how to Be Hulk hogan the character to the, media and how to be Sincere Hulk, hogan with his ability to admit wrestling wasn't totally, real disarming them thinking that they were talking to an honest person since he was betraying the biggest covenant of the wrestling. Business thus they would believe his other. Fiction one voice we haven't heard from remembering this sort of hiatus from the business is Ed. LESLIE i mean he's tied at the hip To hulk Through memphis on. Through certainly he'd remember what happened we turned out to his, book we wrestled around a, bit but things were a little tough and the cash just wasn't coming. In terry decided then again to quit wrestling FOR us for a, time bummed out that he wasn't making very much. Money not knowing what to, DO i suggested we go back to the. DOCK i suggested we go back to the.
Speaker 5: Docks.
Speaker 2: OH i didn't even know that Ed leslie worked the, docks BUT i guess he was part of. It where we quote could really make some good cash pouring concrete and loading big cargo. Ships the money was. Good we went from making something like one hundred and twenty a week wrestling to seven hundred or eight hundred dollars after our brief run. There in the NBA's The Boulder, brothers they're Champion Terry. Funk, okay so here he. Comes Terry funk took a liking to me At. Boulder he likened my naive rookie ways and my beautiful flowing hair to that of a ditzy, blonde so he called Me. Dizzy so apparently that's Where Dizzy boulder comes. From the boys in the back thought it was, funny SO i went with, it playing off the idea that we were truly. BROTHERS i sometimes wrestled As Dizzy, Boulder Dizzy, hogan ending on what our last name was whatever town we were working. IN i can even be seen from time to time in results or videos. Online around nineteen seventy, nine perhaps wrestling under the Name Dizzy Golden terry wrestled As Sterling golden For Jim, barnett who was fascinated with his golden. Tan, right, okay when he wrestled, nothing when he wrestled with that name for The, fullers and he. Did, okay there's Ed leslie saying That Hulk hogan wrestled As Sterling golden for The.
Speaker 3: Fullers obviously it's, true so stop turning to.
Speaker 2: NIGHT i also took the surname as his brother in the territory In, pensacola AND i remember we established this earlier in the complete while it's talked about like Ed leslie went To, Pensacola Gulf Coast southeastern With hulk in early seventy nine and was tag teaming with him from the very, beginning perhaps even as a dry run For. Memphis there's no results anywhere Of Ed leslie wrestling For Ron fuller when hulkat has run With andre And harley and all the. Rest no record of it at. All there is a record Of ed coming back After terry Left alabama in nineteen eighty and wrestling Is Ed boulder all around the horn teaming With Ron. Fuller clearly they're Using Ed leslie to try to replace the void That Terry bolea left when he went to clean our. Pastures SO i don't even know where to start on all that, shit but clearly the degree to Which Ed boulder capitalized On Terry boulders success In alabama happened subsequent to all, this not before. It In, Pensacola Leslie Wright Sterling golden Defeated Bob route for THE Nwa Southeastern heavyweight title in The Northern, division even though he dropped it a month later To Bob. Armstrong it was a great exposure for us as a. Team after this, run we had a little dry, spell so we took to some of the odd jobs THAT i used to do back In, Tampa okay after this. Run so you now that puts us at the end of seventy, nine and there was absolutely no break For hope to be working the docks at that. Point as we'll get, to he was fully on the road with THE wwf in nineteen. Eighty there is truly no looking. Back, yes, YES i mean what the people who were collecting and collating results OF wwf shows were more stalking you And i'm just reading what they. Reported but guess we are now reaching the point where your, Career terry is well documented enough that there is nowhere to, hide AND i know that that alarms.
Speaker 3: You make me who's? Hiding Brother? Sam what?
Speaker 2: Hide and?
Speaker 4: RANK i?
Speaker 2: Mean so we took some of the odd JOBS i used to do back In. Tampa terry funk Ed leslie, writes heard that we were moonlighting and figured manual labor was a. Waste that is when he introduced us to The New York territory Promoter Vincent jay McMahon. Sr who is the father of The vincement and you c today ON tv with THE. Wwe terry got his bags together and took a flight To New. York so that's his version of the story At leslie's.
Speaker 3: Why you why you work in manual, labor who said that was a good. Idea, absolutely what get me the hell out of. Town i'm not manually.
Speaker 2: Working, funker annually, working or working Manual fernandez or any of the other many manuals that we could be. Working but suffice to, say that's what we're going to be able to discern from collating existing. Materials now your co chairs are prepared to move down To. Georgia, okay we're prepared to go down to The Peach state and get a sense of What Hull cogan was able to do down there As Sterling. Golden and again it's extremely clear from the chronology of his career that this is what he did after Leaving, memphis taking a brief hiatus and coming back it was To Georgia Championship. Wrestling and fortunately for, us on the COMPLETE. Hulll, cogan there is a decent amount of footage that survives Of Terry bolea talking and wrestling ON wtbs in those studios and, beyond and so there you have. It as we as we point our our, mast there a couple of things we still got to talk. About the Mule we still got to talk About Danny, brower because if we're going to Leave tampa, behind we got to remember That Danny brower was among the people That terry would call upon on visits back to the, homestead and the real impact That Danny brower would have in the real role he would Playing hulkoke and. Story, really it's not A summer of sixty nine. Thing it's not a summer of seventy nine thing as we've been talking about all these. Weeks it's more a summer of eighty nine. Thing and we got plenty of time to get to, that but suffice to say for, Now Danny brower grew up In South. Tampa he goes back to sixty four With Eddie graham because his grandfather lived across the street from him in a trailer park Called Palm Beach court On West Shore, boulevard and there was a big lagoon over, there and his grandparents remembered Watching Eddie graham out in the lagoon with his fishing. Nets his grandparents moved Behind Paul. Avenue Paul avenue was the street That Terry bullya grew up. On boss M he Remembers. Terry they play softball the trailers had three, rows and they'd get together at the trailer park and play softball. Together he Remembers Mike graham as the son of Neighbor Eddie, graham as a nitty bitty kid three years older Than Danny. Brower Was Mike. Graham he remembers one time he And terry were hanging, out or he was hanging, OUT i. Guess Danny brower was hanging out at a store that used to sell cookies and crackers and big glass, jars and there was a little tussle With Mike graham And mike Grabbed Danny. Brower he went to, walk he wouldn't move out of the, way so they bumped into each. Other So Mike, graham according To Danny, bauer grabbed him and they crashed into this glass. Thing you, Know i'm Picturing gower's drug store right, now you, KNOW i, yes as you. Should cookies. EVERYWHERE a guy threw them. Out he was scared to death Of Mike, graham and one around the back hid in the palm, trees just stayed there so we could see. Him he wasn't scared Of Mike, GRAHAM i. Know so we're starting to starting to get the sense this is all As Danny brower told to our Friend Brad, bluccian starting to get a sense that he's living a very parallel life growing up In. Tampa one may ask where Does Terry boleya's story end And Danny brower's. Begin later in high, school they run Into Mike, Graham terry And danny And Danny Tellell's brad That mike and his buddies used to go by The Junior. Mafia that was the name of their. Clique Oh, junior my. God presumably they were juniors At Robinson High school and there was A jb football game one. Time and, here as everyone gathers around at this football, game we get a sense of the simmering tensions that might explain The tampa discord for so many years later Between Terry bolea And Mike. Graham he remembers that they were at THIS jv football game and they didn't back. Down they didn't back down at. All Here Danny, brower in conversation With Brad, blucian talks about this encounter With Mike graham THAT i think adds a whole lot more color and detail to why this guy was such a bugaboo To Terry boleya his whole.
Speaker 7: Life but uh so we're just we're like standing there and it's near the. Concession there's people all. Over we're on the track and here the, here the There's mike AND i can't remember, EXACTLY i Know i'm in my savior might have been one of those GUY i think his name Was steve, McCall a couple of other guys and they come walking and it's the, music And terry's tall and he's, big but in my shrut and he just walks right And terry doesn't. Move he just walks into him and he like spins around there the GUY i moved but it Wasn't, mike AND i don't remember what it, was But i'm just, like where's this? Going And mike and then they turn around but he doesn't say, anything and we just send her and we didn't, right and then they went on and really we were kind of, like fuck Was? Mike but, yeah it was like a. TEST i so like a little, thing but it was kind of a in that click deal and.
Speaker 2: So there it is the confrontation where they bang into each. Other hulk's not giving ground To mike grab And mike did apparently doesn't take very kindly to. That he Remembers mike was senior When danny was in ninth. Grade you Remember Steve kern And Dick slater also all went To. Robinson he, says you, know they all just kind of look down on a lot of these, guys these younger guys like. Himself but you, Know Danny brower's parents Knew ruth And pete from The Bowling. Alley they would go To panorama together and get to know each other that. Way this is the same bowling alley That hulk's friend and friend of the, Show Vic pettitt right there we, go and they would they would meet at the Bowling alley and it was, there it was there as a, child over near the pinball mash machines That Danny brower Met Terry Bully.
Speaker 7: And that's kind of me And terry got to know each other playing the pinball machines one. Day AND i wold you that was eighth. Grade he's in ninth. Grade this will be nineteen sixty. EIGHT i remember we one got To hendrick's album AND i THOUGHT i was a pretty hot shot guitar, player and so we're sitting, there we're. Talking we're at the pinball, machines and we're talking about guitars and all, that and he and at the time he had a ship box guitar AND i had a ship box, guitar AND i had A penny's. Amp and he said he had a Band, master And i'm, like you got A fender Band. Master so next THING i, know we're over at his. House. Now what was the finball machine at the bowling? Alley, YEAH i was a ship. AHOY i had to play it all day on a. Quarter you just win games all day long.
Speaker 5: And stay right.
Speaker 7: There nobody could get the. MACHINE i don't, know four or five. MACHINES i had a shooting gallery. Too you can do the same thing shooting the. Ducks you get nineteen out of twenty all. Day so what that age Was terry already? Big, yeah he hadn't worked out and he got on a football team and. Quit he heard. Us he Didn't dad didn't want him to. Play he was a great baseball. Player he just hit the ball.
Speaker 5: There he was all.
Speaker 7: Everything everything coming up because this was after we. Met his dad got me on their baseball. TEAM i didn't like. Baseball BECAUSE i got cracked in the face with a ball in the street playing that shiftball stuff WHEN i was, Little SO i couldn't field. BALLS i was scared to. DEATH i could. HIT i didn't like. Playing but so he went back to that day when you Met terry and he went back to his. House so wentto his house and he and he actually heard another. Guitar so we're playing guitars. Again that's how we made everything in the. World he's got a tender bandmaster and he's going to take lessons In Arthur. Smiths So i'm, Thinking i'm a pretty hot shot guitar. Player and we got over there And terry starts doing all these riffs and he could read.
Speaker 6: Music and all that.
Speaker 7: TOO i. COULDN'T i just was. HERE i never took the time to do. It it was all his ear. Stuff and so what we did was and then our you, know being we were hanging. Out we would, UH i would take the bus home with him At Monroe Junior High school and then my dad would pick me up around seven or six or. So actually he picked me up at Our smiths BECAUSE i go there and we would go. There we put our hours. Together it was like Two bucks, right and there was a guy Named Mike reisac who was in the opposite sexist band or Two guys and Two girls was the real famous by local. Band bands were a big thing back, then but before all the DJs and everything and live, music you, know that was. Happening so we started Taking what we would do is we would we would go in and give him a list of stuff we wanted to. Learn and that's When Grand funk and all of him were coming out And Blues image and.
Speaker 12: Oh just a, lot and he could pick up. Anything fan wrestling, podcast he's The lapsed Fan wrestling podcast With JACK.
Speaker 5: N s and J.
Speaker 2: Pisarro so he's Watching terry developing a quite a guitar player after you, know getting well known in little league for hitting them over the goddamn lights and looking like the coaches and the pictures interesting. There he says That terry was on the football, team but it was his father who didn't want him to. Play where his old we, watched remember we watched the stories of growing up where, yes he never wanted to be on the team and he and they were he was a heel for not wanting to be on the team when in, fact he. Wasn't he was in fact on the team in junior. High according To Danny, brower so lies, lies you have, Truths, yeah things being left. Out but, yeah so big baseball guy Was. Pete you. Know they would go to The Cincinnati reds farm club together in spring training to get. Autographs he remembers all this stuff about growing up With, terry and at a certain point in time he knows that he had fucked up me from, football And danny kind of conflates that with the hero metsuit a story a. Bit it's Like terry was already on a bad wheel like, that and he never never heard that matsuit actually broke his. Leg it's kind of funny to hear that get broached and he's, like never wasn't. Broken he said they would tie you up in, knots but his knee had already been fucked up from football and he never had an operation to fix. It that's.
Speaker 3: Right so that's, that And, jesus all these fucking they'll fall, apart you know on one. Reference it's like you when you get when you get real people talking about this. Shit, Yeah, hey this guy's a worker. TOO i, mean he was a, wrestler but he. DOESN'T i don't think he's aware of the lore around some of this stuff that he's kind of, contradicting which is to our advantage of. Course but, Yeah so as things developed and they got involved more in the band, playing he remembers some, uh at one point his grandparents had moved and built a cabana field in the, back and that's where they started practicing their music when they were fifteen or, whatever and there was a guy in the neighborhood he remembers named Chet yoakam who had a set of drums and joined, them and some lady in the neighborhood heard them playing music when they were fifteen and thought that they were really good and wanted to, actually you, know represent them and get them and manage them and getting them involved in playing. Music so he was there from the very, beginning but he never is. Mentioned Daddy. Brower he goes back to The Plastic Pleasure, palace the name of the very first high school band That Terry blea participated. In that's how far back he. Went they didn't have a singer that they would, play and eventually that kind of bled Into infinity's end because they were playing two and he. Was that's when when they started playing the frat parties AT usf and, stuff And terry was the lead, player and it was kind of chaos for them at that. Age But Danny brower, says you, Know terry carried the, band to be honest with, you and they were very good for kids and booked. Solid and you went through all the stuff about how they'd get fined if they didn't wear socks or if their hair wasn't, cut And terry would get fined all the time because he wouldn't cut his. Hair that's all stood, up so to, speak By Danny brower's, recollections and the summer of sixty nine was a hell of a. Summer terry turned. Sixteen he was a year Behind Danny brower, was and he Remembers terry in his teenage years just wanting to do everything he wanted to go with the extra mile with what he, did hitting them over the. Lights danny thought he was a hot shot guitar. Player and then he goes over his house And Jesus, christ this guy has got all the greatest equipment in the world and he's going harder than to get every hope to go as a. Guitarist he wanted to shave his, head he, remembers or something like. That he wanted to Clim he Remembers terry saying he wanted to Climb Mount everest at that. Age wow Remembers terry saying he wanted to try out for The university Of tampa football. Team at that, age he had good looking, girlfriends one girl Named. Debbie when he had the, ford he'd pick him up after. School debbie lived near. Him another another one Named, brenda who was really good. Looking they were together a long. Time and When terry got his, car his birthday's coming, up and it's, summer and he's a, sophomore And Danny brower's a, freshman And terry's going to get his license during that summer In, august and brow remembers That terry's parents bought him a nineteen sixty Five fara lane two. Seater and this is like the month before he turned. Sixteen and it's here THAT i Think Danny brower gives us a real.
Speaker 2: Gift how about some. Foreshadowing how about the son repeats the sins of the. Father, oh how About terry gets behind the wheel at a young age and crashes the car into a palm.
Speaker 7: Drum and, well, anyway so we got in abandon all, that and we're having his summer And terry's, birthday and for some, reason we take the car out and we see a guy Named Don. Satterwhite there were twins and they lived in the neighborhood Down Ballast. Point and we see down and pick him. Up we're gonna take him. Home, now this car had while he got the, car he had put a shifter in. It he had a three speed on the floor to like a. Gimmut he had like a barefoot gas, fellow and got a sharing. Wheel but he got these chrome reverse wheels on the back with firestone white. Holes on the. Front he had regular wheels with white, holes but he had little moons on. Them, look you, know for the for what you could buy back. Then but he was already jazzing it. Up and we had we were making money on the. Weekends you, know the guys were bagging groceries for seventy five, cents and you, know on a WEEKEND i could make sixty. Bucks who were going and playing to. Night, anyway so we Hit donnau and we're going to take him home and we're going up he lived Near Ballast Point Elementary. School and we're going up McDill and there's a road that goes off in a shell and it goes it's it's it's going to end up on Ballast, point but it goes aways and then it curves And terry gets on it and he's over his. Head just happened in the boat one. Time this is later. ON i knew he's over his, head BUT i probably shouldn't tell you. That, Anyway we get into that corner AND i know, it and all of a, SUDDEN i see the mailbox coming in my head and it hit the back corner of the.
Speaker 5: Car we're.
Speaker 7: Sliding don's in the back seat and it slid and it hit a tree and came back across the road and hit another palm tree on the end in the front wheel dug in and it broke and we ALL i Think don was shaking. UP i was on kind of on the, floor And terry's like almost on top of. Me and it happened. Fast you, know we're very. Lucky he is a. Crank is your car cranks it? Smoking and he cranks?
Speaker 5: Back then, no he cranks the car he's trying the drivers.
Speaker 7: And we got so we're trying to come up with a story that caught the of, course some neighbors and all outside and all the stuff down, there and we And don scared down ran. Home he just shook, like, oh you got up with a story about there's a dog or some stuff and run around with the wheels and they're, like there's no dog. Around so did the wheel actually come off the? Car it didn't come, off but the a frame. Broke its slammed like when it hit the when it hit and then slid and when it's slamming here and there was a telephone hole and a palm tree and we hit the palm tree about where the wheels are and it dug in the. Ground so and when it, did the wheel was like. This it had to be told all. That so so whatever that parents, say, oh it was all a big freak, out but they work it. Out AND i know it was a big deal about. It and we were and we were playing somewhere that. Night we were late as, hell and, no but where in the hell are?
Speaker 3: They boom?
Speaker 2: Boom can you believe? It he crashes into a palm. Tree it's, like, yes exactly what happened To. NICK i, mean he's not drag, racing BUT i. Can, Yes i'm not surprised one. Bit he's rolling up To nick's accident in sight having. Flashbacks you, know it's. Crazy this guy knows too, Much no wonder he was never talked about another early episode that he was into With Danny brower that might inform quite a bit of another future controversy around a certain racial, epithet maybe or at least interracial. Relations it was one that he conveyed TO.
Speaker 7: I stopping to See ruth AND i don't see his car back then he didn't Have.
Speaker 2: Oh that's just a different. One we'll hit that in a. Second so here they. Are they're they're running together again at one of these football games where all the trouble seems to, happen and they're running to a, crew and we get maybe a little bit of a glimpse into where some Of terry's racial animis stems.
Speaker 7: From we got jumped At Tampas stayum once and you, KNOW i lost the tooth AND i watched him get his ass. Beat that's when his father was picking us, up and we're in front of after it was, over there was a high school jamboree all the high, schools so that had to be sixty nine because they dropped us off and his dad was going to pick us up like eleven o'clock at Al Locust field on whatever that road. Is so we had the, stadium well it's where it is, Now, well, no it was, here the old one, was or maybe said, NO i don't. Know you had to sit in the north end and Now Little pittsfield was, out so we had to walk across the parking. Lot next thing you, know there's like ten twelve black guys all around us and we don't know what's going. On we're high school. Kids guys had this white suit. On he hey, Man i'll never forget. This and he, said, hey you got a? Cigarette, MAN i got, one BUT i need another. ONE i Remember terry popping off like, no we don't, smoke. Man they said. Something and then he's, like, well hey, man you got cash SO i can buy. Something and next, THING i, know some something that hit me in the back of the, head not me right on my, ass AND i remember looking up and they were just all over, chair AND i remember and there were little. Guys there were some little guys jumping around kill the white. Motherfuckers and these guys were probably in their, twenties and there were people, around but nobody came, over and they were AND i just remember they were all over, him and THEN i was looking and the summits kicked me in the, face AND i don't remember anything after. That and then BUT i Remember terry getting a shot in a guy going down and they're all over him and he's just like, failing and next thing you, know it's over and they're all. Running and how all these people are running over, too is what.
Speaker 5: Happened what.
Speaker 7: Happened and then his dad saw something going. On his dad's down in the car and he's all freaked. OUT i didn't want my mom to know about, it And i'm all fucked, up and so, anyway it kind of why did they attack?
Speaker 1: You no?
Speaker 7: Reason just out of the. Boot there's neighborhoods over, there and you, KNOW i, remember you, know later on it WAS i don't know the times or, whatever because we go, BACK i can, remember and this would be the armory and the fair grounds because they are like colored bathrooms and white, bathrooms colored water fountains in white at The armory at The armory and The Tapa, fairgrounds the Old fairgrounds in. Downtown you were kids going to growing up into the, sixties actually into the. SEVENTIES i THINK i can't remember exactly where it, started But Port camp had a black section and growing up where we all got. Along where was That Port? Camp it was all the southern end where you're out To Picnic, island that was the black section that. Was it's still there today and it's that land is worth more, money and you can. Imagine but those they had their own junior high.
Speaker 5: School they.
Speaker 7: Busted they went to a couple of junior high schools all the way across town on the other side of, downtown and they Had Blake High school Or Blake High school In Middletown High, School Burgert Junior high just three or four black junior highs around the. City but then in junior high we had. Some that was the first PLACE i saw seventh. Grade but we all became friends up through the ninth grade and all, that and into high. School you had black students in school with. Ye but they we got. Along we didn't plan had a lot of. Problems my senior, Year terry graduate year for. Me but my senior year they started. Bussing we had forty two. Buses we had fights and. Stuff they were busting black students into the. Year, yeah they closed down the high, schools had all that, changed and they brought in a whole bunch of black teachers and, everything and it was. Crazy it was hard for those. Students they got their high school taken away from. Them they pulled you, know everything we have now is all. Shared but it. Worked we had hell of the football. Team we went to state and the game was a. Disaster we played in all black schools And Fort. Pierce we pulled up and they turned the buses over for the band and they were beating up. Everybody we played in the stadium that had the stands went seven feet.
Speaker 5: High but that was just the.
Speaker 7: Time but but that thing THAT i remember that, Happened you, know that leads impressions on, you BECAUSE i remember later on, LIFE i can't. Remember you, know there was a big stink a couple of years ago about, oh he's a racist and all. This well people hadn't he's you had he said it with so many bad black people over the, Years i've never seen one sign of any racism or anything of what they, mentioned and he took so much grief And alway's burying this and he's in and out there full full of.
Speaker 2: Shit Danny browber, remembers, so oh, man that's, photography these flashpoints growing up that he remembers and brings to the. Table summer of. Seventy they're involved in. Music they're going to have some changes in the, band and he had no say. So Gary barris's dad called all the. Shots he. Remembers there's a lot of, turmoil And gary's dad ruled the band with the strict thumb and iron thumb in, fact AND i said it was good for the structure of the. Band but Eventually gary the various folks took, over such That Danny brower is kind of odd man out In infinity's end and he's no longer going to Be terry's. Bandmate he remembers a band called The surfers that wanted him to come over and play with them and be in that, band and he heard about it and he kind of jumped ship a little bit To Danny brower and left the Whole cook And friends circle for a little, while kind of got himself fired as a. Result From infinity's, end but he remembers they'd go to the matches growing up at The sportatorium he, remembers and The Tampa armory he, Remembers Paul jones And Buddy colt and one of those old timers he remembers Before dusty came, in they used to go buy wrestling magazine so they would know who the guys were going to be before they came Into, florida And danny remembers that When Dusty rhodes came in blowing through a championship wrestling From, florida nobody seemed to know who he was at, first but him And terry knew Who dusty was because they would read the wrestling, magazines WHICH i love to picture in my, Mind terry flipping through wrestling periodicals at the at the at the pharmacy or whatever In Port. Tampa that of course would have been the outlaw tag team That dusty had with The Dick murdoch before he turned face and lit the territory on. Fire, Eventually Danny, brower after splitting off From infinity's end and not playing music anymore With, terry gets into like the mini golf franchising business and gets a break at a pretty early age in that business and kind of starts to peel off a. Bit terry goes, off plays the music as we've talked about earlier in The Complete Hulk ogan and then eventually tries wrestling and visits With Hiro matsuda and the well documented story he ends up training with, him and at this point in, Time, brower you, know he had been such friends With hulk growing, up and you, know getting rides and stuff From hulk's parents and stuff that he Would he would actually just stop by sometimes and say hi To. Ruth and one, time one time he stopped by and who's recuperating In ruth's bed from a leg injury from. Training But Terry bully, WHAT.
Speaker 7: I stopped in to See ruth's AND i don't see his car. Nothing back then he didn't have The. Lincoln he had a, van but his van wasn't, there AND i just stopped AND i didn't have a lot of, time BUT i go up and in he then and she carries here And i'm, like what's going? On it's all beat up and, uh he's.
Speaker 5: Doing he's working with The bristos and being held.
Speaker 2: Out he's not bad and.
Speaker 7: So so he's in on his mom's. Bed he's in his mom's bedroom and, uh he's laying he can't get. Up he's Just i'll tell, you and he's starting he's telling, me And i'm And i'm kind of, like and, uh there's a Reason i'm telling you, this and AND i lasting, him why are you doing? Why but at the, time the wrestlers were like gods as we, saw you, know especially the reputation everything from the tamp. Office, well he got hooked up and make took him in and they're beating the ship.
Speaker 5: UP i, mean he's.
Speaker 7: Niece already fucked, up but his knees all fucking indigestion all.
Speaker 10: That he's, like look BUT i Got he's, LIKE i don't know how long he, goes but they're going to beat the hell on me every.
Speaker 7: Day But i'm going to be there every.
Speaker 2: DAY i Remember terry saying in his book that he'd have to sneak out of the house when his dad was at work so we wouldn't see that he got hurt training. Wrestling it does kind of add up that he would be there when Just ruth was. There but he also, says if you recall earlier from the journey that his dad also used to berate him on a daily basis for getting hurt and training and doing. This so you were either hiding from him at the cause at the crossway in or you. Weren't but that's apparently during one of those limping over to the house to get taken care of by mommy, Sessions Danny brower stopped by and there he was so a little. More you, know what we're bringing here is just an absolute bevy of first person experiences on all of these little touchdowns that we've established thus far in the Complete Hulk hogan through the eyes Of Danny, brower who will take us to Places visavi The hulkster that THAT i think are quite. Unexpected but we're still in the in the. Familiar we're still here In. Tampa and you, know one thing he said About Hulk. Hogan one thing he said About terry was that he was he was savvy and he could see he could See hulk developing the characteristics that that would come to benefit him. Later you know That hulk just knew how to how to work a. System, well there's one he's.
Speaker 7: Going back to those. Days he had a good sense like a business sense or, judge you. Know he HE i don't know if i'd say knew how to work the, system but he could work the, system and he knew.
Speaker 2: It and his brower himself gets into the. Business he, realizes you know, what there is a system here to be.
Speaker 7: Worked it takes a while to realize this is nothing but one Big.
Speaker 3: Carl, Brother CAN i replay that?
Speaker 2: One here we?
Speaker 13: Go, yes it takes a while to realize this is nothing but one Big. Carl and as you, know ed And fraud dropped back in on him and encourage him to get in shape and try. Wrestling he, does he. Tried Charlie lay first down at The, Spartatorium terry's old buddy in the front office there right when you walk in the front, door there he, is and, yeah Diddy brower walks. In at one point There's Charlie lay sitting there as he did all, day listening to his little am radio selling tickets to the shows at the. Temple sat outside for a, while not sure what to, do knowing that this is the same, place you know The terry went too and went through the meat grinder and ended up In mama's bed with his leg up remembers going in, there said how you doing and Telling Charlie, LAY i want to, wrestle And charlie said What, Dan he, said whatever you got to, DO i want to do. It Charlie lay just said get out of. Here brower, Said i'm, like, listen you don't UNDERSTAND i want to do, this and he's, like fuck you get the fuck out of.
Speaker 2: Here. Wow, Yes so we went out the door To Danny brower felt like he was going to go back, in but he remembers, thinking you, know and if you go back, in you're going to get your ass beat and you're still not going to get. Anywhere So Danny brower ended up training not with here a matsuit And Eddie graham and. Stuff at The. Sporatorum he trained With Professor Boris, malenko the same guy who stepped in front of The PLAN b cameras and told as many people that would see the videotape that he never had a real fight in his life and this is, all you, know complete. Bullshit that.
Speaker 7: Guy it takes a while to realize this is nothing but one big.
Speaker 2: Carl they took him to the gym in eighty, one Did terry And, eddie and it takes a.
Speaker 3: While once he takes a while to realize.
Speaker 2: That's a good. Question it's a good, point rather a very good, point and he trains for the business there. Instead and you, know he remembers going to The Imperial room and stuff like that and Just blinko tried telling him that you have no idea what the road is, like but he didn't hear a word of. It he wanted to follow in the footsteps of his of His tampa, Buddies Terry bolea in, particular he remembers the first time he did anything related to steroids was on his. Own Danny brower remembers meeting a guy at a at a golden gym In Saint. Pete the guy was a school teacher who worked part time at the gym and introduced him To Diana ball told him how it worked all, that and how he could get it all for. Him and he went from there to testosterone and learned how all this stuff worked and tried to understand, it understood that he was taking a, risk but doing it on kind of a, program a, regimen not just you, know inject the stuff and see what. Happens i'd ask you, though when push comes to, Shove, Boss while he may not have Introduced Danny brower to, steroids who do you think taught him how to? Roid at the end of the, day who do.
Speaker 5: You, think.
Speaker 2: Well This Danny? Brower, yeah, well who do you think Taught Danny? Brower? Brother?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: Wow, Wow I'M i don't tell, you, Brother i've never done. THAT i don't do. Steroids i'm not addicted to. Steroids i'm not an abuser of. Roids say you're addicted to. Steroids, OH i wasn't ready for that. One for all the things we've come up, WITH i don't think we've ever Said i'm not addicted to. STEROIDS i don't deal about. It you don't have addiction, symptoms, brother or. Problem i'm not addicted to. Steroids, brother set every. ADDICT i don't think you.
Speaker 2: Know of all the years we've talked About holican, STEROIDS i don't think that one has ever come together quite like that steroid. Addiction, no, anyway here's the answer to the.
Speaker 7: Question they make it sound like you walk in a drive some guys you're, Shooting so you never, know, brother you, know sorry body shot if somebody did. It but in a. Bathroom you wouldn't even.
Speaker 1: Know it.
Speaker 7: Three C c full of needles or were.
Speaker 5: Wrong.
Speaker 7: Terry terry taught me how to take.
Speaker 11: Shots take one one side of, you but and you draw not AN, x but plus and anywhere in the top RIGHT.
Speaker 7: X you can hit it anywhere and you don't have to worry about hitting veins or. Anything he gotta you gotta set it all up when you you, know you were bubbles and all kinds of.
Speaker 2: Ship gotta get rid of the bubbles him and pretty soon you know the steroid. Thing and it just got to the point where why don't we, JUST i don't, know, boss why don't we just have the stuff sent To brower's? House?
Speaker 7: RIGHT i took all the heat WHENEVER i. Was but then then there was a lot of stuff started piling, up and it wasn't necessarily involved With terry and uh and the thing that THING i was showing you there with the, horn these, deliveries there's a lot more than.
Speaker 5: That WHERE i, lived there was guys who.
Speaker 7: Would make an. Orders there were people making orders and they would go to my, house guys from the, area and they'd come over and sometimes hanging, out sometimes big a up Or i'd see him at the gym And, raham you, know they just and they. WOULD i didn't get all, that you, know there would be things in there for, me and some of the Stuff Terry wood or, stuff some.
Speaker 2: Of the Stuff. Terry we're starting to we're starting to understand, why of all the the boyhood friends That Terry bullay is short a name check in his two books and all of his interviews over the, Years Danny browner was never really among, them despite as we've well established And brad balucciin was able to establish by this, point didn't get much tighter than these. Two it sounds like in the earliest years growing up In, tampa a lot of formative experiences, together car crashes into palm, trees getting jumped in parking, lots going shoulder to shoulder With Mike, graham playing the pinball machines and in, bands and he never seems to come. Up it's just. WILD i don't know if it has anything to do with those deliveries or. Not ALL i know is they continue befriending each. Other last time on The Memphis, journey we went ahead a little bit to nineteen eighty, one When hulk had already made it, big so to, speak and had come back to Wrestle Jerry. Lawler will they hook up again around that point in. Time in, fact When Danny brower was recalling that near death incident on The Skyway bridge and How Ed leslie And Hulk hogan just happened to show up the next, day he actually remembers that being in eighty one as opposed to seventy, nine which, IS i guess. POSSIBLE i don't really Picture hogan and ed running together thickest thieves at that point in time as opposed to seventy, nine but it could have been what he was. Describing but what he does say is When hulk Rematched Jerry lawler and The Bayfront, center remember we watched that promo From Florida. Television he was, there And Danny brower is very much partaking in the fringe benefits of wrestling stardom at that. Time he's getting head in. Cars all, right let's make that. Clear, yes let's get a little more meat on the bone in terms of how closely he's riding With terry bullat in eighty. One so there's a.
Speaker 7: Show at The, Bayfront terry's working With.
Speaker 5: Jerry Loll.
Speaker 7: Jerry, Law Jerry. Lower, YEAH i can't remember. It just he was in. Town they were a week or so and they just came down And jerry came down and they did a thing ON tv and JUST i didn't think they only worked that one. Night we're just a big show at The. Bayfront So i'm heading over there and we're going.
Speaker 5: In we're going.
Speaker 7: In there's all these girls just going in and they, said, oh right there in the court and said the fucking. Deal and that's kind of, like you, Know i'm, like, oh this is. Fuck get married. Again i'm. NOT i had to grow my, dreams you, know you. Know describe the next.
Speaker 5: Us That's.
Speaker 7: Danny the adventure was in it for. Me BUT i just remember two times and one night like His georgine.
Speaker 10: And it was like that.
Speaker 2: Everywhere So danny is riding tight and hard with his Old tampa. Buddies but then that time. Comes he remembers it as eighty one where he drives up to The skyway bridge those barriers, there and he's. Divorced he's lost a lot of money in his business. Ventures there's all kinds of personal, issues and he's coked out of his. Mind and as we played for you last time when the complete Holl Cogain Danny brower was thinking about ending it all on the Iconic Skyway. BRIDGE i think it's the same bridge THAT i think it. Was Gary barriss told us That Terry wants claimed to have climbed up a billboard next to. You remember he had his big tall tale about. That so everyone seems to have A Skyway bridge, story Including Terry. Funk WHEN i was hearing the, STORY i was, like, wow this actually With danny's describing And i'm not not to diminish what seemed to be a very traumatic and desperate moment for, him but it really seemed to be very similar to a publicity stunt That Terry funk once, pulled according To dick's later on that exact. Bridge just very quickly here From dix' later's. Book one, Day terry AND i were sitting there eating. Breakfast we had some other things we were trying to do to get some really good publicity on.
Speaker 3: US i don't know.
Speaker 2: Why we just thought we'd have fun and we were thinking about going over to The Skyway bridge and Doing boss The Skyway. Caper ooh. Oh he wanted to Be terry the only man who ever survived the. Jump The Skyway bridge is something like eight hundred feet tall from the span down to the. Water, no there have been a lot of people who have jumped off of. It of, course the average outcome hasn't really been. GREAT i don't believe anybody has. Survived he wanted to be the first one to jump off The Skyway bridge and actually survive the fall and the swim back to. Shore, now of, course being that he wanted to get publicity known for doing, that he had to figure out a way to get up on The skyway and make sure they knew he was going to. Jump of, course can't tell them you're going to jump, off and you can't stop your car on the top of The Skyway, bridge because the first thing they would do is they would probably lock you, up they'd baker act you as being. Nuts i'm sure they, would and they would arrest you for parking your car illegally as part of the. Bargain so we thought of. This we went down and rented a car at The Tampa. Airport terry sat down and he wrote a, big long letter to his, Wife, vicki who was home In. Amarilla. Ooh in the, letter he put that he had been a rotten husband all his, life and he was real. Sorry he had been hated by all the wrestling fans because he was such a rotten, person and he'd beat Up Dusty roads and everybody else he wrestled in the state Of. Florida he figured that he wanted to be the only man ever to survive the jump off The skyway. Bridge if he didn't make the leap and come out, alive then it was his own fault And god was going to take him because he was such a rotten. Person SO i was going to follow him over to The Skyway bridge in my. Car he was going to park the car on the top of The. Skyway he'd leave the door. Cracked he'd put the letter up on the. Dashboard when the police found the car on the top of The, skyway it would be registered to the car rental. Place they would check say it was rented out To Terry. Funk the police would have found the, letter and then everything would have added. Up we left my apartment In tampa to go over to do. THIS i put him in the. BATHTUB i got three boxes Of epps and. Salts he lay in the bathtub and we poured the EPs and salts in. There he soaked in the salt from about three o'clock until let's say five o'clock in the. Morning that was two. Hours his skin looked like a. PRUNE i had some sandpaper at the. House we sandpapered his elbows, down and his cheeks and his face to the top of his forehead and some of his nose where he was like kind of bleeding from his, nose and the sides of his arms and. Stuff he looked like he had jumped off the bridge and hit the water pretty. Hard the plan was to drive over there and park the car on the top of the. Bridge so off we went to The. Skyway it was a pretty good. Ride we had to go from Tamp over To Saint. PETERSBURG i had to wrap him up with towels around his arms so his skin would still be the same texture as it was when we, left and he looked pretty. Bad so we took and parked the car on the.
Speaker 5: Top of The.
Speaker 2: Skyway he jumped into my car and we went on to the other side of the. Bridge we got, off turned around and all the back across To Saint PETE i. DROVE i went down to this little roadside park to let him. OFF i MEANT i had to go all the way across and then all the way back To Saint it meant rather THAT i had to do. That the only WAY i could turn around was go back over the bridge and come back around and play the toll. TWICE i parked on the side of the road let him out as this little roadside. PARK i didn't want to be seen BECAUSE i was the, spotter SO i took the car back over to the other side of the. Road he went and lay half in the water and half out of the. Water he figured that the police or somebody would have found my car with a note and they would have radioed the coast guard out, there thinking either he was in the water or he had not made, it or he could be on, shore or a boat could have picked him up or. SOMETHING i sat there in a roadside park on the other side of where he was for a good two. Hours nobody paid any, attention SO i had to drive back across the skyway again then come back to get him to his, side and that roadside PARK i pulled. UP i got out of the car and walked over. THERE i, Said, terry is this not going to. Work i'll try it again. Sometime so back out of the. Water he came in into the. Car all the way, home he told me about how this was going to. Work the next. TIME i was just laughing my head. Off he was lying in the salt water for a couple. Hours he looked really. Bad we went back and Told Cowboy Bill watts we had tried it and it didn't. Work terry's always wanted to try that. Again So Terry funk again echoes through the story one way or another of hulk out and In. Tampa but as the years turn summer of sixty nine to the summer of seventy, nine we get to the summer of eighty, nine and Soon Terry, bullay according To, Danny, brower was Avoiding danny all of a, sudden even at one point he recalls kind of pretending he couldn't even hear him on the, phone and he never understood really, why or at least he claims to not understand. Why he was talking To Brad blucchian about being called as a witness By vince McMahon side in the trial in nineteen ninety, four, night in, fact Befriending Laura, Burvetti vince's attorney in the whole, deal quite a, bit and even heading out To Long island for the, trial and apparently being, ready if need, be to offer. Testimony and it's in a second book That Hulk hogan recalls entering the courtroom In Long island and coming face to face With Danny. Brower, again he doesn't call Him Danny, brower he calls him his. Mule and Here Brad blucchian reads the passage From hulk's second book To danny's, face a passage he'd never heard.
Speaker 6: Before So terry, SAYS i still had this instinct That vince was somehow going to try to flip the whole case and blame it on. ME i had no idea how you would do, that BUT i just thought it would be an easy way out if he pointed a finger At Hulk hogan and let the media run.
Speaker 7: Wild my instinct was. Right AS i walked into.
Speaker 6: That, COURTROOM i looked over and saw my, mule the guy who used to carry drugs and steroids for me on the, road sitting right next To vince And vince's. Attorney why is he, HERE i wondered if my testimony only Hurt. VINCE i have no doubt that they would have used my mule to tell every tall tale in the book about my steroid use and HOW i was running them all over the country or selling them or forcing them on my. Opponents this mule must have been there as a backup to crush my.
Speaker 7: Credibility that would have meant the end of my career. Forever vince truly had nothing to worry.
Speaker 6: About on the witness, stand The feds asked me If vince had ever sold me.
Speaker 7: STEROIDS i answered. No he asked me If i'd ever inject if he had ever injected me with. Steroids.
Speaker 6: NO i even explained to, THEM i wouldn't trust anyone else to stick a needle in, me Because i'd stuck myself a thousand times and knew how to do it without hurting any without hitting any. NERVES i would never Trust vince to stick a needle in. Me can you think you're talking about?
Speaker 7: You AS i got the? Mule probably probably, right. Mule who else would?
Speaker 2: Mule he, says.
Speaker 7: He, Thought do you remember me telling them nobody was even? BIRTHDAY i can.
Speaker 2: There it really explains a.
Speaker 6: Lot so the mule wow for, you, right, yeah because who else would would you be talking to the mule and.
Speaker 7: Not the nicest, word, Right and this was two thousand and. Nine that's WHAT i.
Speaker 2: Want when the book came.
Speaker 7: Out so now you can tell were, Thinking so that's the end of.
Speaker 2: Time that is what he was thinking at the.
Speaker 5: Time.
Speaker 2: Wow the guy sits there and just, says, mule, mule mule to. Himself was that All Danny brower was To Hull, cogan was that All tampa was To Hull cogan. Brother that that would be another ten years away again starting in the summer of eighty, nine and we'll get there one day on the Complete Hull, Cogan but for, now we put a final definitive pin In tampa as far As Terry boley is, concerned because this is the last time he'll return home known more by his birth. Name for, now it's on To Georgia Championship wrestling and then The Worldwide Wrestling federation of THE, wwf and from his childhood home to every corner of the. Globe they wouldn't call Him Terry boulder Or Terry bolea. Anymore they'd call Him Hull. Cogan no longer sitting on the docks Of Tampa. Bay no longer sitting on the docks Of Tampa. Bay and you, Know, BOZZ i guess, unfortunately all will really ever have to color in these Final tampa, moments these final moments in the city that Reared, terry as we have illustrated over the weeks here on The Complete Hull, cogan all we'll really ever have is understand this low key part Of terry's life was Those facebook. Posts remember for, Sure Billy johnson. Earlier, sure, sure that's just what we're going to, HAVE i, guess to get these fleeting glimpses of the final contributions Of tampa to what would become Hul. Cogan that would be all we have unless Hello billy, Speaking Hi Billy, Johnson, yes, sir next time on The Complete Hull.
Speaker 1: Cochinson as A Tej disantis, production its content is intended for private use.
Speaker 7: Only