Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: You want to talk on the afcast five AM six forty, you go handle here to Thursday, February twenty seven, some of the stories we are looking at.
Speaker 3: President Trump said that the proposed terrorifts on Mexico and Canada will go into effect on March fourth. Charge China will be charged ten percent tariff the same day, and the tariff wars are beginning now, yes, sirday or this morning, we got some news that Gene Hackman has died. Gene Hackman, if you you just started watching movies, maybe you don't know who he is, but just an iconic actor, Academy Award winner twice over. I just did some wonderful, wonderful films. He actually became a major star with He was Popeye Doyle and oh my god, did I just forget the name of the film, Oh French connection. Just extraordinary anyway, what makes us a particularly interesting story? But the guy's ninety five? Okay, so were it should be no big deal. However, there was a neighbor who called this is Santa Fe, New Mexico, And a neighbor did not see Hackman or his wife or the dog for several days, so call the authorities went in on a wellness check and there was Gene Hackman, his wife Betsy Arakawa, and their dog I don't know the name dead, and the authorities are saying they don't think it is foul play. So immediately it comes to mind, what could it be? Maybe carbon monoxide poisoning. That makes sense, I mean, you know, maybe it was a triple suicide. You know, Gene Hackman did it, or his wife did it, or the dog did it and killed both of them instantly. If it's do they consider that foul play. If it's a murder suicide, I don't know if that would be under the definition of foul play. But as I looked at this, I said, Okay, this is going to be kind of interesting because we don't know yet.
Speaker 1: And immediately comes to mind.
Speaker 3: Look at the other stars who have all died under weird circumstances, you know, where there is tremendous doubt where you have one diagnosis. Elvis Presley, for example, famously sat on his toilet seat. I don't know if that's an urban myth or not, and he ended up collapsing.
Speaker 1: I think he was forty two. Was it a drug overdose?
Speaker 3: Well, they found drugs in his body, but the coroner said there were so many underlying conditions.
Speaker 1: He was so.
Speaker 3: Screwed up physically that who the hell knows. Marilyn Monroe died of barbituate overdose. Of course, the infamous Marilyn Monroe suicide. Was it purposely done? They found a bottle of barbituates next to her bedside in the morning in the hotel room. One of the more interesting ones is, uh.
Speaker 1: David Carradine.
Speaker 3: David Carradine found well, let's just say, in his bathroom naked with what was it a belt around his neck known suicide notes. And there is a sexual piccadillo where tend one tends to do that.
Speaker 1: What's that auto erotic auto erotic expeciation?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, given the guy from in Excess the band or something.
Speaker 1: I think so. I think so.
Speaker 3: And for those of you that and this has to do with I'm not going to go into it because I don't want to start really playing games with it, but it has to do with uh, you know, masturbation and you know, getting close to passing out that somehow it heightens your feelings.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's I don't you know what. It hasn't worked for me very well.
Speaker 3: So I don't know what you think about that Tupac Tupac right twenty five when he was killed and already such a massive star shot in Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: You know, they still believe it. They still believe that there's more to that story. You've got Prince.
Speaker 3: He and everybody thinks he just died in the hotel, in his elevator, in his house. Well, there was more to it than that. He was suffering from the flu at the time he died. He became unresponsive on his jet emergency landing, hospitalized, treated with neules own you know, the anti opiate, and he went against medical advice return home, and he then dies.
Speaker 1: In the elevator.
Speaker 3: You know's and and there are rumors about that. Matthew Perry, well that's kind of and that's kind of an open shut case. But even going back into Hollywood history, and there's some the Black Dahlia, for example, Elizabeth Short, she was an actress. And if you go way back nineteen twenty two, William Desmond Taylor, he was a director and actor. He was well known and shot dead. He was shot in the back. No one ever knew who did it under very mysterious circumstances.
Speaker 1: I mean I could go on and on.
Speaker 3: Just mysterious deaths. So we'll see what happens. I don't think it is be very mysterious about this. If we had to get we did a roundabout this morning. I think the general consensus was and we're guessing now no one has any idea, probably carbon monoxide. And I think that's because of the dog. You know, no one kills a dog. Well Hitler did killed his dog.
Speaker 1: We really enjoyed.
Speaker 3: But Okay, lawsuit that I have been talking about, and this is something that I've been studying since law school, and this had to do with the case of reverse discrimination. I shared this with you, and that was Baki versus the regions of the state of California, where David Baki sued a white guy because he was not allowed in medical school because there was a quota system, and a black that did not meet the same requirements, the same qualifications as per the school with the school demanded got the job. But did you just say a black yeah, black man being like an African American man. Sorry, I'm a black man. Okay, just a black Okay.
Speaker 1: A black man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sounded weird, Okay, yeah, I was just rushing through it.
Speaker 1: Individual African American maybe yeah. Yeah. I mean it may sound weird, but that's not where I was going to thay. Yeah, a gay person, a gay man, a gay woman. Okay, you got it. I just try to stay away from all those things, those people. Oh, you can't say that. No, I misspoke on that one. Okay.
Speaker 3: So you had David Baki and he sued anyone based on the fact that an African American got in and did not meet the same qualifications as a school demanded.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Then the court said no, no, there's no thing is that we can't have reverse discrimination to the point where race cannot matter at all. That's the latest Supreme Court. So now have this was a case sort of a first impression. You have a straight woman, she's white, and she said that she was discriminated against because she was white and straight. Now, this is an interesting lawsuit. This has not been heard before. And it's a woman from Ohio who worked for the Ohio I Think School System state Agency for Youth Services, and she alleges that she was not only not promoted when she deserved to be, and a person of less qualification per the agent see was put in her place, but she was demoded and a gay person was put in her place, and the supervisor who did all of that was gay. So she sues, and the Supreme Court is saying, yeah, she's got a lawsuit dismissed by the lower court because the rules are that if you are a member of the majority read white, read straight, then it's a higher bar. You have to prove more discrimination than if you are a minority person.
Speaker 1: And the court.
Speaker 3: Said, no discrimination is discrimination. And you've got the folks that the activists are reeling on this, and even the liberals on the court looks like they're going to say, yeah, I mean, if your discrimination is discrimination, and you can't have a higher bar for people that are straight and white. Also, by the way, as far as the majority is concerned, in terms of education, Asians are considered part of white people. They're not considered a minority. Asians are not a minority when in.
Speaker 1: The education system.
Speaker 3: Why because go to Berkeley and see how many Asians are part of the are part of the population of Berkeley or Stanford.
Speaker 1: Or cal Tech.
Speaker 3: So there are so many that, in fact, our students have gotten in because it's part of the culture that education means everything, and so they're no longer a minority. Kind of interesting on that one, but the bottom line is the court is going to rule that. You know, it's just that simple. You discriminate, You're done. Can't discriminate in the base of race, or gender, or religion or sexual affiliation. And it's that simple. And she argued, Yeah, here's my sexual affiliation. I'm straight, I'm white, and that is a no no when it comes.
Speaker 1: To these discrimination cases. That's going to turn around completely.
Speaker 3: You watch and the argument on the other side, and I shared this before. I once interviewed Jesse Jackson, and he was in favor by the way of straight out discrimination against white people. He made it really clear, I'm fine with giving African Americans, particularly other minorities, a bigger chance, more opportunity, because we have to even the playing field. And to even the playing field is not an even playing field, it's to make up for what happened in the past, which I'm not even going to go into the way Africa, particularly African Americans, were.
Speaker 1: Treated in this country.
Speaker 3: The thought of an African American and wasn't too many decades ago not being looked at, not being passed over for getting into college in favor of white The thought of an African American getting into college was impossible to even fathom. It was that bad in this country. So Supreme Court is going to rule you're white, you're straight, you can't be discriminated against. You have to figure something else out. We'll come up with some other discrimination. It's always fun to do that.
Speaker 1: Okay, done with that bird flu.
Speaker 3: You know, we had a lot about bird flu, and of course the cost of eggs is skyrocket and the two are inextrictably connected. So in twenty twenty two, the H five N one bird flu made its first appearance at a poultry farm.
Speaker 1: So we're talking three years.
Speaker 3: Ago, and that was an Indiana turkey farm, and twenty nine thousand turkeys were sacrificed because you wanted to hold it or they wanted to localize it. Three years later, the Avian flu has spread to all fifty states. The number of birds that have been that have died or been killed is over one hundred and sixty six million of them. The price of eggs, well, you know, the price of eggs, and they're getting it.
Speaker 1: It's going to get worse.
Speaker 3: So you have poultry producers, infectious disease experts, government officials now say, well, this avian flu is here to stay.
Speaker 1: It's going no place.
Speaker 3: And so now we have to rethink what is going on because now some of them are questioning whether the culling practice, long standing practice of culling every bird, killing them on an infected farm, if that is sustainable over the long run. There may be no chickens left if we.
Speaker 1: Keep on doing what we're doing.
Speaker 3: So how about targeted depopulation vaccination? Actually they hate it, you know those birds. Seen a kid who can't stand getting a vaccination. Chickens are worse.
Speaker 1: The relocation of.
Speaker 3: Wetlands, bodies of water that the wild birds they carry this stuff fly into. The problem is every one of these has so many problems. Those that advocate culling, mask killing says, the only thing that makes any sense. The current version of this flu highly contagious, highly lethal.
Speaker 1: The mortality rate is about one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Chicken, our turkey or duck gets the bird flu dead goodbye is described to go straight through a flock like a hot knife through butter. And that's why most people in favor of mass culling saying it's humane, it's cost effective because if a bird gets the bird flu, let me tell you that is not a fun way for a chicken to die. They die from dehydration because they have such a massive diarrhea and respiratory illness, and on top of that they can't breathe. And sparing a bird that doesn't look sick is a huge gamble too.
Speaker 1: Those chickens and my chickens don't.
Speaker 3: Look sick, they may already be infected and they're spreading their virus through their poop without any signs. In other words, it's already fred I was spread by the time they look sick.
Speaker 1: And the only way to.
Speaker 3: Know for sure is to test each bird individually. How do you do that, because even one infected bird can spread the virus to an entire flock of replacements. I mean, this thing is like measles, insanely contagious. The difference is these birds die. So all of this makes it very difficult. And one of the reasons to call early is you don't want to have a lot of bird human exposure because if you just kill all the chickens. If you kill all the turkeys, you're not going to see much spread. Well, you talk about localizing the spread of the virus.
Speaker 1: No more birds, Oh, that's done.
Speaker 3: International trade agreements require stomping out is what they call it culling. Now the USDA US Department of Agriculture reimburseds farmers for eggs and birds that have to be.
Speaker 1: Killed, but not for those that die of the flu.
Speaker 3: One more reason, let's kill them before this thing catches on. So at times this has meant more than killing four million of these, most of which have been healthy.
Speaker 1: It is a mess.
Speaker 3: Now a couple of a couple of alternatives have been suggested. There's a veterinarian with the USDA says, let's look at requiring workers to change their clothes and their boots when moving from bar to barn, or signing workers to a single barn, or separating out birds and chickens and turkeys and making sure that different buildings have different kinds of birds. For example, you have broilers, you have egg laying chickens, make sure they're miles apart from each other. Well, the argument is that even with that, this virus spreads very quickly. It is out there and it's here to stay. Is there an answer?
Speaker 1: Who knows? Oh, and here's one that.
Speaker 3: If culling does not take place, then an entire country's production may cease.
Speaker 1: To be imported into another country. It's that simple. I mean, there is no good answer here at all. So who are you gonna kill first, the chicken or the egg? That's the question.
Speaker 3: Now I want to spend a minute talking about coyotes. Story in the La Times. Study just came out, really interesting one about coyotes and.
Speaker 1: Who studies coyotes.
Speaker 3: Now, I don't want you to think I'm biased against coyotes just because they're baby eating vermin, big rats that every disease in the world and they all should be wiped out in one fell swoop.
Speaker 1: Don't want you to think that I'm biased on this.
Speaker 3: I mean a lot of it has to do with the fact that my little Gucci, my little shelter dog, two months ago, was breakfast for a coyote that came into the yard and we had to put her down. That wasn't fun. And my new house if you were to come, which of course you're not going to come, but because there's no chance you'll ever be invited. But I actually have put coyote protection around my house because I'm up in a hill and I overlook a bunch of houses below me, and there's this hillside and it's full of trees and shrubs coyote land, so well.
Speaker 1: Like a bunch of at me, like bombs and stuff. Yeah, I have. It's a fence. It's a coyote fence which goes up ten feet.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to say whether it's electrified or not, but I will say I wouldn't get near it if I were you, or you had a pet or a kid. And what looks like a shotgun, a spring shotgun that's aimed at that fence.
Speaker 1: To ignore that one too. Here's what the study.
Speaker 3: Said and it just came out, and that is, if you are rich, you live in those zip codes that are more affluent.
Speaker 1: This is La County and Orange County too.
Speaker 3: People who live in those areas, first of all, harbor more unfavorable and separationist views on coyotes. Rich people hate coyotes more. Strangely enough, poor people or people in lower socioeconomic areas don't.
Speaker 1: Really they're not as excited.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's because they don't live in areas in where they have hills and coyotes hanging around, and coyotes tend to like being around poor people. You would think it'd be the opposite. Nope, they like urban parks. They don't hang as much in higher income areas.
Speaker 1: Totally contradictory to what you would think.
Speaker 3: But this study found that the higher median income areas correlated with the negative opinions we those of us who live in areas that are hilly, and I live in.
Speaker 1: A pretty good zip code. I'm not gonna lie about that.
Speaker 3: Is you know, they hate coyote, hate coyotes more than maybe you hate coyotes.
Speaker 1: So here's the bottom line.
Speaker 3: If you're living in a dumpster in mid Los Angeles, you don't hate coyotes as much as I do.
Speaker 1: And that was kind of interesting.
Speaker 3: And coyotes tend to and I don't understand this because I live in a neighborhood where there are so many coyotes here. They literally walk up and down the street and they are fearless.
Speaker 1: Do you think they pay attention? They don't. They're protected.
Speaker 3: You can't shoot them, you can't take their heads off with a guillotine.
Speaker 1: You can't give them poison meat.
Speaker 3: You can't take a shotgun and say hello, let me tell you where head's.
Speaker 1: Gonna be in about thirty seconds.
Speaker 3: You can't do any of that. They are protected. And even coyote trappers they come and I don't even know what that costs. I mean, it's just it's crazy. They come, they trap the coyotes and coyote traps and then take them out and they eat somebody else's pet somewhere down the street. The folks at PETA People for Ethical Treatment of Animals, they're arguing, even those coyote trappers who humanely trap coyotes and get rid of them, that should be outlawed.
Speaker 1: I wonder if they.
Speaker 3: I wonder if any one of them would say the same thing if their pet dog was eaten or their pet dog became an order for a coyote. Now, granted I may be a little biased here, but here in southern California, and I don't know how many parts of the United States, probably only.
Speaker 1: I would guess California, coyotes are a protected species.
Speaker 3: Right you go to the Midwest, I think there are bounties for coyotes.
Speaker 1: Do coyotes live in Minneapolis? I don't even know. Huh. I want to tell you one thing.
Speaker 3: That coyote gets near me, I hope they strangle on the on the fence. Do you know how difficult it is to actually manufacture a fence that once a coyote hits it, it actually starts turning around and strangling the coyote. Okay, I'm gonna leave it at that. You know, just I'm an animal lover.
Speaker 1: You can tell. Coming up, Joel Larsgard joins.
Speaker 3: Us how to money and how you two can make money from dead coyotes. He'll be right with us. KF I am sixty.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 3: Catch my Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app