Speaker 1: Oh hey, it's twenty twenty two. Ali with a last minute, preempting release of one of the best episodes we've ever done, Mycology with Doctor Tom Folk. So this first aired in twenty nineteen, and I've been saving it and saving it to encore, But I just got the sad news that this beloved guest passed away on November twenty eighth, twenty twenty two, at the age of sixty three. I found out yesterday. So I'm holding the regularly scheduled episode until next week, and I'm re airing this for you tonight to either hear the first time, or I really urge you to revisit it with some fresh perspective as a way to celebrate the human that we were lucky enough to have on the planet and on this podcast a dear friend. So listen, or listen again and carry him in your heart today. Oh hey, it's straight up your weird internet dad, just sniffing candles in a blissfully empty aisle of a discount home goods store. Ali board back with another episode of Ologies, one that you have requested, rather you have begged for since the inception of this podcast. I keep hearing dad Ward mycology when and I keep saying, settle down, I have a plan. Please trust me all this time that my celia have been growing and it's finally time to enjoy my dirty bloom. That it's going to make more sense later. But first, Okay, a little bit of business, and by business, I mean thank yous to all the folks on Patreon supporting this podcast for as little as twenty five cents an episode. Thank you so much for making this whole thing possible. And thank you to anyone who makes sure that they are subscribed and have rated the podcast. Special tip of the old hat to those who leave reviews which I read when I'm sad, and then I pick a fresh one each week to read you, such as this one by m post Legator, who says Ali approaches each scientific subject with the eagerness of a toddler meeting kittens. M post Legator, I feel seen and also attacked, and I like you for it. Mycology. What is the etymology of mycology? Let's start with it. How did this word burst forth from our brains and out of our mouths? So mico comes from the Greek for fungus and little bonus points for you. The word fungus itself has its roots in the word for spongy. So this mycologist, oh my word, who has been on my list for well over a year, and he is a major reason why I took a Midwest road trip a few weeks ago. I wanted to find the best mycologist out there, and I asked Eugenia Bone, author of the book Micophelia, Thank You to Talk Nerdy's karas Aanna Marie for that intro, and she told me that this ologist is quote a mycologist of the utmost charm. I had to meet him. So on a rainy spring morning, I headed to the University of Wisconsin, Lacrosse, and I stayed in a charming B and B that was apparently a castle built by a lumber baron whatever. I navigated to the campus, up some old elevators, down a Lanoillam hallway. Right to his office I found you, which was this thrilling jumble of mushroom knickknacks and maps and hard bound dissertations of his former students. And he himself stood up. He has gaged ears and salt and pepper hair. He streaks with purple or pink and he stood up to greet me. He was wearing a short sleeve shirt that was screen printed with mushrooms and ferns. Both of his arms are heavily decorated in fungus themed tattoos. He's the best and having run a mushroom and fungus web page nearly twenty five years when the Internet was just a squirmy baby, this guy has been cool since before you were born. He's been a professor in the Department of Biology at the University of Wisconsin Lacrosse since nineteen ninety six and teaches general mycology, medical mycology, not to mention, has helmed some classes in food and industrial micology, also in Latin and Greek for scientists. He seems like that's the kind of guy I would have gone to concerts with in my goth days and then spent all night talking about cell division in a Denny's while our friends smoked clothes in the parking lot. This is truly the highest compliment I could give a person anyway. He let me pepper him with questions for an hour and we cover what the hell is a fungus foraging under the forest canopy? Fairy rings, magic mushrooms, being blindfolded in the woods, the tastiest mushrooms plus mildew, fungal infections, and how having a part of you replaced can change the way you live your life. So prepare for a budding fungus obsession with a mushroom expert of the utmost charm, my cologist, doctor Tom Bulk. I would love to know when did you start getting interested in mushers? When did they become captivating for you?
Speaker 2: So I took a course in my collegy in nineteen seventy eight at a high university and I found it you can get free food, and so that was good, and that was pretty different, and I'm sort of a different kind of person, and so that's appealed to me that it was something unusual that not very many people studied and knew about. So when it came time to go to grad school, that's what I decided I would study.
Speaker 1: Did they give you free mushrooms to eat?
Speaker 3: You find them in the woods.
Speaker 1: They're all free, is it? But there's always the risk of foraging. You have to get really good in order to get free food out of it.
Speaker 3: Reletely.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a few you can learn, right away that are pretty easy, but then it gets trickier after that because you could get sick or even dive if you eat the wrong thing.
Speaker 1: Has to be on your side.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, that's true for everything, right.
Speaker 1: So, on the topic of knowledge, Doctor Volk got his bachelor's in botany from Ohio University and his PhD in botany with a minor in genetics from the University of Wisconsin Lacrosse, where he teaches now. And he studied, among other things, the life cycle of the coveted and delicious moral mushroom, which are the ones that have like a spongy looking honeycomb texture and sell fresh for upwards of sixty bucks a pound. If you're like where, pray tell? Can I get me some of that hank tied. There's going to be some forging secrets in a bit. But first, and this is such a basic question, but what is fungus? What is a fun guy? Why does it have his own kingdom? It's neither animal nor plant? What's happening?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So, and remember in the olden days, when you were in schol we probably learned about the two kingdoms, the animals and the plants, and find you were included with the plants because they didn't move and they had cell walls and all that. It turns out that fung gerienmorkless related to animals than plants. So physiologically they and genetically they're much more similar to animals than plants. But they're really different than animals obviously, So the cell walls of kitan they share the kitan in common with some animals, like the arthropods, insects and such of kitan exoskeletons and so that chemicals in common.
Speaker 1: Okay, quick aside, what is kitan, you ask? It is a word that looks like chitlins, but minus one l. Now, fungus, hog guts, all things that seem dicey to eat but are a delicacy of sourced and prepared rite. All right, So kitan the thing that makes up the cell walls of your favorite mushrooms and is technically a long chain polymer and a derivative of glucose. But the important aspect is it gives arthropods skeletons and fungi cell walls some rigidity and little chew if you've ever eaten books, So how varied are fungi? There are an estimated five point one million species of fun. Guy. Now that's about thirteen times as many species as plants known to science. Okay, but more importantly, how do you pronounce fungi? Because Tom said fungi and I think I said fungi. Okay, So I asked my good friend Wikipedia, and they said, this is how you pronounce it in the US. Okay, definitively this way fungi got it? Okay. Oh wait, there's another audio clip. Or you can pronounce it this way fungai okay. Oh there's a third way. What fungi okay?
Speaker 3: Or fungi?
Speaker 1: Oh my god? Okay, So just say however your mouth wants to say it. Let's get back to kingdoms.
Speaker 2: But there's they put them the fungi in the animal sense group called the epists, the conta, which is the rare flagellum, which refers to the some of the fungi, the primitive ones have a flagellum on them, and of course human males have the sperm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with the flagellum. So I know that that's the one of the things that link them together.
Speaker 1: Okay. So ps yeast possessed twenty three percent homologous genes to human beings. So you're walking around, you're wearing pants, you're driving a car, and you're like twenty three percent kind of the same as a single celled fungus. So I don't know, Go dance in public, tell someone you're in love with them. Nothing matters. What even are we? What is life? That which humbles liberates? So tattoo that on a pillow, embroidered on your butt, I don't care. Can you tell me a little bit about the structure of fungi. I know a lot of people think fungi is just mushrooms, but that's just like essentially looking at their cone heads, right.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, So you're looking at the reproductive structures.
Speaker 2: Most of the time that private pos But what you don't see most of the time are the high fie that are underground.
Speaker 3: So these are hiphie.
Speaker 2: On my arm, and so you can see if you were if you were here, which you are, you could see the mycelium the hyphie growing, and that's how they feed.
Speaker 4: So their reproductive areas are their most public parts.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like if you wore a full body spandex jumpsuit all the time, but it was crotchless it's just the fungus way.
Speaker 2: And so when fungi feed, they can grow through the ground, they can grow through the wood or whatever they're growing on through your brain by dumping their enzymes to the outside of their body, and they digest outside of their body and then they take in the small molecules and use them in metabolism, and so it's totally different. They digest their food first and ingest it, whereas we ingest our food and then digest it inside our bodies.
Speaker 1: And that's how they're breaking down substrates, so.
Speaker 3: They can push through the soil or push through the wood.
Speaker 1: Also the fungus way barfing on your lunch and absorbing a sandwich through your arm, it's casual, it's effective. And now you mentioned also our brains just casually. When what are some places that a fun guy live? And also I want to hear about our brains and how they might live.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I teach, of course in medical mycology as well as mycology, and so there are fungi that will infect your brain.
Speaker 1: Which kinds.
Speaker 2: There's one called Cryptococcus that's famous for that. It's a yeast and it usually gets them and inches the lining of the brain, not so much in the brain, but there are some that'll get in there as well.
Speaker 1: Cryptocoxosis, by the bye is what this is called. Oh it's a nasty bugger. So these Cryptococcus yeast form their name means hidden sphere. They're found worldwide in soil, but for those with compromised immune systems like folks with HIV, it can be fatal. Cryptocoxosis accounts for twenty to twenty five percent of the HIV related mortality in Africa, So that's no joke. Now, if you've ever lurked around on Goop, chances are you've seen scary articles like there the insidious yeast infection we all have and what's the latest on Canada yeasts and whether or not they can cause the leaky gut syndrome? Has that been debunked by medical science or.
Speaker 3: Is that there's a lot of things.
Speaker 2: If you look on the internet, every single disease that's possible is caused by Canada this yeast. So but I mean, I think there's something too some of it, but there still needs to be a lot more research done with that. There is Canada that passes through the digestice system because you have this as a part of the normal flora of your body, and so in the you've got Canada in your mouth as part of the normal floora keeping the bacteria in check. And then you swallow some of that and it goes through the digestive system and some of it remains intact, goes through and.
Speaker 1: Okay, so did a little digging on this, and systemic candidiasis can spread to the blood, where it's called candinemia, and the CDC estimates about twenty five thousand folks in the US a year will have a Canada overgrowth in their blood, but that the total number of Canada overgrowth may be twice as high if other organs are the site of the primary overgrowth and it doesn't just show up in the blood. So yes, it does happen in the millions per year that we don't know. But leaky gut syndrome isn't recognized as a medical diagnosis. Doctors call it increased intestinal permeability, which is kind of like how if your family calls you scooter, but you're like, don't call me that from my boss. So it's pretty much the same diff tomato tomato. Now, speaking of food, if a Canada overgrowth diet, which suggests cutting out gluten and dairy and sugar and alcohol makes you feel better. There could be a number of reasons why. And now, can you tell me a little bit about where fungi like to live. I know we think of them in dark, damp places.
Speaker 2: Fungi are anywhere where it's where they have enough moisture to grow and enough heat, and so you know they need you know, room temperature they like, although there are some that'll grow low and very low and very high temperatures, but most of them like this middle ground where they can do well.
Speaker 3: But you can find fungi in just about any environment where there's enough water to support their growth.
Speaker 1: Why do you think they like darkness.
Speaker 2: Well, they don't like darkness, say, that's just where the food is. Oh, and so that they don't necessarily need to be dark. They grow inside of things because that's where they can get in and that's where all the food is. Their main competition is bacteria, and bacteria can only grow on the surface. They can't push their way through the wood or wherever they're growing in, and so the fungi can go and escape the bacteria by growing into the wood.
Speaker 1: I always figured that they must be like photophobic or something, but really it's just their pro food.
Speaker 2: And so when they're when they're in the log and they're growing, they just are growing their their hyphi their my celium to eat the food. But then you know, at some point they reach the surface of the log again and the light is their signal to make the mushroom, and so that tells them they're outside of the log and that they it's okay to make a mushroom. There's also more oxygen outside of there, so that's another signal for them to make the mushroom on the outside of the log or whatever.
Speaker 1: And can you tell me the difference obviously between the my celia and the hiphie and the mushroom for anyone who's just like, what, there's more to fungi than the mushroom.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So there are these hyphie that are underground or in the wood. I'll just talk about wood for now, that are in the wood, and they they're they're not particularly dense. They're growing through the wood. But when they send up the fretting body, there's the fretting body. The mushroom is still composed of high fee and if you, you know, tear one apart and look in the microscope. There's they're the same kind of ighee, but they're all stuck together in such a way that they're very strong. And they can put this thing up above the wood to make this mushroom so that they can release their spores and.
Speaker 3: Get somewhere else. I want to get out of here.
Speaker 2: And so the mushroom is made up of hiphee, but they're really dense in that form rather than more spread out as they are down in the wood.
Speaker 1: And then where are these spores getting made?
Speaker 2: So the spores are made on the gills of the mushroom. If you have a typical mushroom kind of thing, you can see when you look at the gills that they kind of undulate up and down, and you know, and so they have a huge surface area, and the spores are born on the external areas of the gills, on things called bacitia, these club shape things, and then the spores drop off of their and they're usually caught in the air and spread somewhere.
Speaker 4: Spores they just they grow so fast and then before you know it, they're just a huge web of underground hyphie forming a mycelium and barfing onto their lunch before just exposing their reproductive structures to the sun.
Speaker 1: Where does the time go?
Speaker 2: So they have to make this enormous number of spores because otherwise the chances of landing on something they can actually use is pretty small if you're just random leaves being spread by the wind. And so they produce huge numbers of spores to by chance some of them will survive.
Speaker 1: This is just a numbers game. It's just a gamble.
Speaker 2: And so you have some, you know, you think about the gild mushrooms, but you also have some that have different ways of increasing the surface area with pores underneath or even small teeth, or some of them are just kind of wrinkled, and some of them are smooth, but they can dry out and revive, and so they increase in their surface area over time rather than by space.
Speaker 1: So side note. If you like variety, may I suggest a mushroom obsession. There are cup fungi and puffballs and bracket fungi and toadstool shapes and lattice types, glow in the dark ones, the ones that look like they're bleeding terrifying human blood, and ones named after dicks, on and on and on. Now with five million species, there's a whole lot of selection going.
Speaker 2: On, and so they you know, there's a lots of different kind of strategies that that fung i use.
Speaker 1: Do you have a favorite mushroom?
Speaker 3: Favorite for what?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: I got? I know that's such a stupid question. What is one? When have you been out lurking around you're looking for mushrooms and you come across one that it's like dada like angels singing.
Speaker 2: If it's so, if it's food, then I'm talking about Chantrell's. Okay, So Chanterrell's are the you know, the the I think the most delicious. They're bright orange, you know these folds on the outside, and they smell like apricots. Oh, so they're pretty smelling. They're pretty dense, and they're usually not contaminated with bugs and stuff.
Speaker 3: That's just sex to protein.
Speaker 1: And when you go to like a farmer's market you see the mushroom stand. Are you like nice but I can get them myself or are you excited to see what their variety is.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to see that people are promoting mushrooms. So I'm happy that the growers are finding a way to exploit the life cycle of the mushrooms in order to that people can try different things.
Speaker 1: Does it help the mushrooms to get picked because then their spores go more places.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of controversy about that, but that's a whole, a whole different thing. But maybe they're you know, if you're taking them somewhere else, the chance of the spores landing for their way might be good. It might be good for their genetics. But you know that's that's a half hour conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't have you.
Speaker 1: Just shut up, shut up and test you. Okay, I look this up, boy howdie who? This is a topic of some fierce debate, but most hardcore mushroomers obsorb some basic funkal decency and and they encounter pairs of mushrooms, they leave one, and they leave behind the smallest fifty percent of the mushrooms they find. They try to identify mushrooms without picking them first, and as you'll see if you google mushroom hunt, each my cologist collects in an adorable little picnic basket, not just because it's cute as hell and it looks like an outtake from a period piece set in the English countryside. But because the baskets allow for the spores to catch on the wind, go out and make more fungus babies. So step one, start basket shopping. Step two send out a press release letting everyone know how goddamn adorable you have just become. Okay, and then what's next? What would how would you advise people if they are interested in maybe starting to forage or starting to catalog mushrooms, or also want to make sure they don't eat the wrong ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the best way to learn is to have friends who will help you, or if you don't have any friends, and make friends at any of I think there's one hundred and twenty mushroom clubs in North America, and so you can join one of those and they go out on foray's, which are little mushroom hunts.
Speaker 1: Okay, so ps, A foray is different than a forage. A foray is when you're looking at all the ding ding mushrooms, but a forage is when you're out specifically looking for edible yum yums. So Na, we just learned that together.
Speaker 2: And you can learn a lot from people in the woods, you know, they say, oh, look, this is where you look for this one, and there's somewhere el there and you look, there's an elm tree right there, So that's where you need to look. And you know they can you know, and everything is better than three D.
Speaker 3: And so if you're.
Speaker 2: Doing this with people and you know, go to these big mushroom for a people go out and find mushrooms and then they lay them out on a table and you can look at them side by side and find which ones, you know, the poisonous in their edible, you know, the things that look alike. You can distinguish between them more easily if you have them sitting there in three D and you can touch them and feel them and smell them and everything else. So you know there are really they're wonderful mushroom clubs that are fantastic.
Speaker 1: Have you met some of your favorite friends mushroom hunt?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Yeah. What's a vibe like on a mushroom hunt.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of different kind of vibes on a mushroom hunt depending on whether how competitive people are. So sometimes morale hunts are really different because that's really competitive. But other times, you know, people are you know, I found this, come and look at it, or a more hunt I found this, and don't tell anybody.
Speaker 1: Because will they come back and look for more later?
Speaker 3: They might?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then what's up with with pigs and dogs finding treuffles?
Speaker 3: Sah? So you can you can train a dog to find anything.
Speaker 2: So, but the pigs are trained to it because it smells like a pig pheromone, and so they immediately try and find that.
Speaker 1: They eat them when they find it. They can you Yeah, have you ever been travel hunting?
Speaker 3: Yes, but not with dog or pigs. I would like to do that.
Speaker 1: How do you do it without a dog or pig?
Speaker 3: You look for where the squirrels have been digging.
Speaker 2: Oh, and the squirrels are you know, the squirrels are digging them up, They eat them and then they put the spores out somewhere.
Speaker 3: So that's their method of dispersal.
Speaker 1: Oh, it seems like in the knowledge of mushrooms you also have to have a good knowledge of soil systems and animals and trees and substrates. Is that true?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And so if you know, you know, in order to really understand funging, it's on the whole environment around them. And so as a mycologist, you know, I have to know about plants, and in order to learn about plants you have to Yeah, they have got animals and then all the other stuff in the in the soil. So you know, I've been studying fungi since my class in nineteen seventy eight, and only in the last couple of years do I think I have an understanding of what goes on under the soil.
Speaker 3: But I don't know it well enough to tell anybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that's what I'm working on, is being able to explain or have a diagram or have something a diorama that explains what I think is going on into the soil.
Speaker 3: It's really complicated.
Speaker 1: Do you ever dream about fungui always you do? What kind of mushroom dreams do you have?
Speaker 2: Usually finding some big load? They say, when you go to mushroom hell, they show you every play your life, and they show you all the mushrooms you missed. But if you've gone ten feet further on this trail, he would have seen this, or if you had turned left here instead of right.
Speaker 1: Do you have a favorite mushroom? In pop culture? Do you ever see someone you're like that is not what that species looks like?
Speaker 2: Well, the most common one, of course, is the red mushroom with the white tops on it, So that's Aminie muscaria, and that shows up in all of the artsy f artsy kind of depictions of mushrooms with the elves dancing around, which is kind of funny because it's a locinogenic mushrooms. You get the elves in dancing around, and these mushrooms are red with white trim and soasanta, and there's reindeer flying and there's elves dancing around things like that. So when the reindeer actually do eat these mushrooms to hallucinate, do they.
Speaker 1: Really what happens when a reindeer is shrowman?
Speaker 3: I don't know how you tell for sure, but.
Speaker 2: They but they do. They guard their their little cache of mushrooms under the under the snow.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Oh okay, So without falling down a real alice in Wonderland mushroom cravass, I'm gonna briefly relay that this is just a widely circulated no doy. I had no idea. So the Sami indigenous people of northern Northern Scandinavian regions are like, yeah, dudees guy from the North Pole. He's being pulled by a sleigh reindeer we do that comes to your house in winter trip and balls on red and white mushrooms red and white, and then gives you the gift of advice from another dimension. Duh, and the reindeer also tore up on shrooms. Are like, whoo, check me out, I'm in a flying I'm a reindeer and flight in the air. Oh no, shit, man. Look, even the BBC's reported on this.
Speaker 5: In autumn, reindeer seek out the mushrooms even under an early fall of snow. No one knows whether the reindeer are affected. But in the past saw me Shamans took flyergaric in their visionary rituals. They even drank urine from reindeer believed to be under the.
Speaker 1: Influence red nose, red toadstool mushroom. And I'm starting to like this story more than the age old one about indentured elves and leaving a frosty cola out for your winter sugar daddy. How long have humans been aware of the hallucinogenic properties of mushrooms.
Speaker 3: Probably for millennia.
Speaker 2: You know they've been used in shamanistic rituals in Siberia for many years. And different mushrooms in Central South America for millennium.
Speaker 3: Probably where are.
Speaker 1: We at in terms of psilocybin trials and therapies for humans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's actually quite a bit of research.
Speaker 2: Doing it being done now on psilocybin psilocyby mushrooms a very prestigious places such as John Sapkins and such. So they're looking at especially treatment for kind of end of life psychological kinds of treatments using to treat PTSD, symptoms of PTSD and sessive compulsive disorder of CD and cluster headaches. So there's really a lot of research that's being done in terms of you know, that hallucinid and that the philosophy or psilocyba however you want to say, it is a much more mild to lose some gen than the than the mine muscaria that the reindeer eat, and so they're usually there. You have to have someone to lead you through this kind of psychological journey. Is the you know, physiologically, this thing is making neurons fire in your brain and so that's making connections and reconnections that were lost or you never had.
Speaker 1: Really, so is that how it might have a lasting impact after the actual.
Speaker 3: Experience, it seems to be there.
Speaker 2: There's some evidence that one large dose of psilocybin can have an effect for many years after that.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, so quick aside, this is a whole other puffball of wax. But quickly, there have been trials on psilocybin's effect on anxiety, on depression, on OCD, anorexia, and end of life existential depression and anxiety. So what happens, very very simply is that psilocybin converts to silicin, which has a chemical structure similar to the neurotransmitter serotonin, so it binds to those receptor sites in your knockin. But why do so many mushrooms over two hundred species make psilocybin? So recently some evolutionary fungal geneticists at Ohio State University What's Up Jason Slot came up with a theory that when sprouting from dung, there are a lot of insects that want to munch a mushroom. So the shrooms evolve to have mind altering effects which might reduce the appetites of the bugs that want to eat them. So also, if you listen to last week's Boofology episode, which completely coincidentally included some info on smoking toad poison. The basic premise is for an organism to evolve a defense that essentially communicates, can you not thanks, is it our body maybe detecting something like a poison and reacting to it, or is.
Speaker 2: It it's really a poison. It's an analog to you chemicals that we already make.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, so it's it's.
Speaker 2: Doing the same thing as those chemicals, but in a slightly different way in larger amounts.
Speaker 1: And then I know that it's it's legal in some places, not legal in others.
Speaker 3: In the United States, it is not legal anywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's on the ballot in I think Denver will be the first to have it on the ballot. And I heard something about California, and I heard something about somewhere in Iowa's proposed, So.
Speaker 1: You know, that's surprising. I would think Washington would be that third state like California. Okay, So side note. In the two weeks since recording this episode, Denver did indeed decriminalize it. Laws are a little sticky, so Vietnam, Samoa, the Netherlands, Jamaica, Brazil, and British Virgin Islands are like, go for it, it's legal here. Austria's like, you can grow it, but I guess not for drugs. I don't know. Everyone just chill out, have some schnitzel, yoldle it up. It's cool also in some states, because the spores don't have any psychoactive ingredients, you can own them, but just not to grow them for drug purposes. Just like barfing your way through a substrate of manure. It's all a little dim and murky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's it certainly is you know, like cannabis. It's the same idea. There's you know it was. You know it's not it doesn't belong in Schedule one. You know it's there's there are medicinal uses for it that are that should be explored.
Speaker 1: If you have someone who comes to you asking you about that, is it something that you try not to give them advice on or give them advice on.
Speaker 3: I give people advice.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean I think it's you know, it's not legal, but I'm not opposed to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I always hear people being afraid of having some sort of bad trip. Is that just if they've taken too.
Speaker 2: Much and you can have a bad day and you know if you're if you're not taking any things. So but that's that's one of the reasons why there's usually someone to lead you through this process. Is the ideal way to do it, and that's in the In the in Central America, there were shaman type people who would lead you through these rituals to speak to your dead relatives.
Speaker 3: You know, or help you to accept something that happened to you.
Speaker 1: So given its technical us illegality and everywhere, but I guess Denver, Tom and I didn't talk too much on the record on this. I myself have never tripped on shrooms, partly because I had a boyfriend who had a super bad trip in college, which he referred to for years as the incident like Capital T Capital I. But I'm super curious about its future potential in mental health fields. So there'll be more on this topic in a later episode. There are some top notch docs in l A doing trials on MDMA and soil, so I just have to figure out if that would be cyco pharmacology, mico psycho pharmacology anyway to be continued, but outside of a lab, Tom says, common shroom species are pretty chill the cultivate.
Speaker 2: It's one of actually one of the easiest ones to grow. My old professor used to grow it in grad school. Yeah, and you know, he stopped growing after a while. He just used it for an example and had really good spores on it, but he kept getting stolen, so he stopped growing it.
Speaker 1: Oh no, He's like, well, if you need it, I guess you need it. And now, what is the difference between molds and slime molds? I understand that they're very different and mildew. What's the difference between mold and mildew? Actually, oh man, that was so many questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so mold and mildew basically the same thing. They usually use mildew or something that looks wetter. But they're all the just fungi, and usually they're fungi that are reproducing asexually, so with mitosis that if your listeners know that, and so they are reproducing without having sex, and so they you know.
Speaker 3: Can produce enormous numbers of spores.
Speaker 2: It's really cheap, and so you know, they can grow on just about anything and produce tons of spores almost literally. And so you know, these molds are pretty common. You're breathing in them in and out right now, wherever whoever is listening is breathing in and out scores and so. And most of the time they come back out. Sometimes they stick in your body, and if something's wrong with your immune system, you can you know, have problems with with with the fungel infections in your body. Slime molds are a totally different thing. They're they're not related at all. They're related to the amib and so they climb around and they have these essentially a giant amoeba can be a meter more across and climb around and you know, engulf their food and eat it in a different way.
Speaker 1: But they're still a fun guy. No, No, they're not at all them out you did, was there a ceremony, Like there was.
Speaker 3: Not a ceremony about that there should have been.
Speaker 1: And at what point did you realize, like, you're not even a mold?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we always knew that they were really different, huh. But you know in the when when people started talking about the Five Kingdoms and you know, and simulds are clearly not fungiant and just by as an aside, and my organistle biology class, we talked about twenty five kingdoms.
Speaker 1: Now twenty five kingdoms really and at least how is there a process for getting those validated?
Speaker 2: Well, that's what Maleca biology has done. DNA sequencing has allowed us to be confident about replacements of a fung giant and other organisms into different groups.
Speaker 1: Okay, so quick check, and right now it looks like there are two super kingdoms, seven kingdoms, eleven sub kingdoms, eight infra kingdoms, and six super phyla. So please don't quote me on that in case it's changed, and please don't ask me to make up a more detailed mnemonic for that King Philip came over for group sex, because that just sounds messy. It sounds confusing. Also, what is the fungus evolutionary backstory?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the fungi and animals shared a common ancestor a very long time ago, probably in the ocean, and the fungi went one way and the animals went the other way. And so the fungi i probably diversified before the animals did.
Speaker 1: And can iphi can a big web of my sam Can it talk to each other? What is happening communication wise? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So there have been reports now and we always suspected that the fungi underground or in communication with one another, and not quite in the same way that we do it, but they have chemicals that transfer back and forth between them, and so many of these fungi are are forming an association with the roots of trees and other plants in the soil, and so these trees are getting the trees are giving their sugars to the fungus, while the fungus is.
Speaker 3: Picking up more water and minerals for the tree to use.
Speaker 2: And so there's evidence now that these micarisi as are called, are shared between different plants, usually the same species, but not necessarily, and there are signals going back and forth between them, these chemical signals and food being traced. So and especially with a large forest where you have this mother tree that's very big and maybe shading all of her offspring, she's actually feeding some of them through her micorize and so when the mother tree eventually dies, the offspring are there to take her place.
Speaker 1: Imagine a baby growing out of your corpse foot and then just try to be casual about that. You can't fungus well out every time, And then how did they figure out which is the same organism.
Speaker 2: So that's a different story. So, I mean, with animals, it's very clear what an organism is because it's something that gets up and goes somewhere else. With fungi, what is an organism? Most of it is underground. We can't see it. And so it turns out that some of these underground funge are very large. See I might have heard of the humungus fungus, the humungous fungus. Goodness, this was maybe it's been twenty years now, since nineteen I don't remember exactly when, but a thirty seven acre honey mushroom was found in underground in the upper peninsular Michigan.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And then everybody else started looking for big ones. And there's a fifteen hundred acre one in Washington and a twenty five hundred acre one in Oregon.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And so they're you know, they're quite large organisms.
Speaker 1: I can't even how much weight do you think that is?
Speaker 2: There's that been published. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it's thousands of tons.
Speaker 1: Oh my lord. Are these big humongous fungus? Are those the same species or these totally different species of fungi?
Speaker 2: All of the three that I just talked about are all the same genus. They are different species of the same fungus that you know. When all that happened, there was an argument about what is an organism, and they people started talking about aspen grows. So aspen grows, the trees are just clones of one another. You start with one tree and it suckers from the roots, and you get another tree coming up from the roots next to it, and so you can get these, you know, ten thousand stems that are above ground, but they all share the same exact root system.
Speaker 1: I had no idea.
Speaker 2: And so there's something called the panda grove that's supposed to be the world's largest organism.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I had no idea about aspen trees. That's wild. I had no clue.
Speaker 2: And see you can pick out which which of this the same clones. They change color and the fall at the same time. They all leap out at the same time because they're all the same individual.
Speaker 1: Oh that's bananas.
Speaker 3: And what do you think that bananas are clonal too?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's right, the cavendish.
Speaker 2: Right, Bananas are going to change in the next ten years because they're always they're all susceptible to this fungus that's been introduced, so we'll see what happens. And they're all clones, so they're all susceptible to the same fungus.
Speaker 1: And how do you feel when you hear about a fungus, say, threatening a population like the white you know, a white nose fungus or these banana fungi. Are you like, go fungus go or no, like, why are you doing that fungus? There's so many other things to eat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I mean, it's hard to root for the fungus when you're talking about food to feed a lot of people. But you know, it's it's interesting, you know, and you mentioned the bat white nose syndrome, so that's certainly something to worry about. That fungus grows optimally at four degrees centigrade, which is not around forty fahrenheit, And so that's the reason it's grown in the on the hibernating bats and making them wake up early and then there's no food and then they die.
Speaker 1: And so are we seeing different kind of fungus blights as climate changes or as population gets more dense, or is that just part of the cycle, you're going to have a blight. When you have a blight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's predictions that climate change will cause more infections because things will be able to Things are now limited by a low temperature that they can't survive at, and if that low temperature is different, they may be able to survive the winter at these other temperatures.
Speaker 1: Tom says that most of the fungal blights are invasive species, so they were in control in their home country because exposed organisms likely had evolved some defense or resistance. But they kind of pop up when you're unprepared. They're like in Loss coming over or Ashton cusher popping out from behind a ficus unpunked.
Speaker 2: So that's why I hit the broccoli police at the border, so we don't bring in these pathogens.
Speaker 1: The broccoli police, I've never heard of them. Call back, and is it hard to kill a fungus?
Speaker 2: And why it is hard to kill fungi because they're so big and they're so diverse in what they do in terms of a fungal infection with humans, It's hard to kill the fungi because we're so closely related and so there's very few targets to kill the.
Speaker 3: Fungus without killing us, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And so then killing things that are on crops or just it's a matter of size, massive amounts of spores and their sports are resistant. And you know, they thought they were get killing off the black sam rest of wheat, and they found out that the sports were actually migrating on the winds to Mexico for the winter and then coming back.
Speaker 1: God, that's quite a journey.
Speaker 3: How do they even do It's just it's just the wind, the way the wind goes.
Speaker 1: Tom noted that grad students in his lab can work on whatever they like, so long as it's fungal and it's something he's interested in. And he's had students work on medical mycology, on finding new species ecology.
Speaker 2: I have one student at Hardcoard nuclear physics on fungi, so you know, they I've learned a lot from my status, so I don't really have a specialty. I worked on k fungi for a long time. I know a lot of different things about a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: I guess I know. My eye just caught a VHS tape that says, counseling patients with vaginal yeast infection, You're like, huh, that's another one among all these. Yeah, I just have it, is he And I was like, oh, well, you know, I'm sure there's at least half of our listeners I've been familiar with that.
Speaker 2: Well, they say that three out of every four women will get a yeast infection sometime during her life.
Speaker 3: So oh, sure, that's a very high number.
Speaker 1: And I'm no doctor, but I estimate that one out of every four persons with ivagina has lied about never having a yeast infection.
Speaker 3: But okay, there's a.
Speaker 2: Lot of research and money, you know, doctor bills and everything else based on all that, and you know it's it's hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean it is crazy to think that they're so close to us that it's hard to kill them. Yes, I never even thought about that. Systemic anti fungals could do quite a number on your liver and right, yeah, and so that.
Speaker 2: It's because they're you know, they're targeting this substance called ergosterol and the memoranes which replaces cholesterol, and so it's a gostri and cholesterol very close. You have to target the aergosterol and the fungi without affecting the cholesterol in the humans. There are a lot of folk remedies that probably work, but I think it's pretty very.
Speaker 1: I guess, is it these kiteness membranes though they're pretty tough, they're the same thing with Arthur POD's used right for as an exicot and so well, yeah, so is that is that their main source of protection then?
Speaker 2: So that is a physical protection, yes, But most fungi also produced chemicals to deter their competitors, and so some of these are useful to us, like penicillin. So that's trying to kill off the bacteria in the surrounding environment.
Speaker 1: And so is someone who has all of this backdoor knowledge about fungi, has it made you live your life any differently?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And the reason is that thirteen years ago I had a heart transplant, I know, and so and actually my heart is in that recycled thing right there?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 3: Really? I know? If you wanted to look at it, you could, of.
Speaker 1: Course I do. Can I look at it now? Or shoul I look at it later? Oh my gosh, it's in here. I knew your heart was in here. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: So it's in It's a top. Friends made a heart cozy for it.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I'm going to pick it up. Yeah please, I mean I've read about it knives and pictures.
Speaker 3: Oh food.
Speaker 2: So that's all made with wool that's dyed with mushrooms, Oh my god, then felted.
Speaker 1: So right now I was holding something about the size of a Kleenex cozy. It's this wooly box. It's kind of like a golden yellow with these felted mushrooms and my celia crafted almost woven into the surface, and inside of it is a clear tupperware, and inside the tupperware is a ziploc bag. Inside the ziploc bag is another ziploc bag, and inside of that is Tom Volk's heart, kind of blanched, looking drained of blood and dissected into thick slices. It's bathed in about a cup of liquid preservative. The woolen box keeps it all contained.
Speaker 3: So my dear friends and Seattle made that for me.
Speaker 1: Oh May twenty second, two thousand and six.
Speaker 3: That's a date I'm my transplanting, so it's gonna be thirteen years pretty soon.
Speaker 1: Here. Oh my gosh. Now that's in a tupperware.
Speaker 3: It's been dissected, so you can take it out and hold it.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Oh, it's your heart.
Speaker 3: Wow, you're holding my heart in your hands.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I wear it on my sleeve.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. This must be so surreal for you.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of used to it now after all these years.
Speaker 1: But yeah, what was it like the first time you saw this on the outside of your body?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I it was in the doctor's office and I asked to see it, and so they brought it to me. And I cried, of course, because it's it's just really weird.
Speaker 1: Yes, did you have to petition to keep it?
Speaker 2: I asked him for it at that, you know, after about three months, and they said they were still studying it. And then about a year later I asked for it and they said I could have it. I knew I had this, you know, biolay professor, so I would find.
Speaker 3: Use for it.
Speaker 1: Tom of course, has to be really careful because his immune system is compromised, and he went through so much before the transplant. He had Hodgkin's disease cancer the lymph nodes, and the radiation from that therapy damaged his heart, and then he got flesh eating bacteria in his foot and his pacemaker was shocking him every ninety seconds. At some point, he says he was the most interesting case at the Mayo Clinics ICU, which is not a good thing. But after the transplant, except for the gash in his chest, he says, he felt immediately better. Oh my gosh. And now how obviously you're doing well post transplant.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So because of the transplant, I'm on antirejection drugs, so it suppresses my immune system. So I have to be more careful about what kind of fungi encounter. And so we have to be barely careful. And I teach medical mycology because we're working on actual pathogens, and so yeah, I had to be careful about that. And I have to be careful about everything. So who touched this before me? And where they clean?
Speaker 1: Right? I imagine? Oh, and I see that you have hand sanitizer, which is very smart. So to my left was this hefty pump top bottle of purel. I put his heart back in its cozy. Tom hasn't found out who his donor was, but he wrote a letter to the family thanking them for the gift, telling them all the places he's lectured the fifteen hundred students that have learned from him since the transplant, the dozens of master's theses and PhD students he's been able to supervise all because he got that new heart. I put his original one back in its cozy little koozy where it remained on my lap for the rest of our chat. I'm like, so, nic it's so nice to meet you. I've heard so much about you. And when you are looking at medical micrology, what are some of the what are some of the things that you're looking at the most the therapeutics or the anti funkals.
Speaker 3: So we look at everything.
Speaker 2: So we're looking mostly at the fungi that infect people, so medicinal mycology, which will be getting you know, drugs from fungi, but we're working at medical mycology, which is fungia that infect people mostly got it, And so we look at everything from you starting the outside of the body. There's things that are really superficial. Then you go into the dermatophytes that are in the cutaneous layer, and then there's some that are below that it'd have to be inoculated by a trauma, and then some that are inhaled in the fill lungs and go further than that.
Speaker 1: This was going to be in a side describing some of the Narnar fungal infections you can get from like inner ear sludge to jock probs to some tonenail goblins to the fungal lung ball that is valley fever. My friend Tigan had part of her lung removed because of it. Huh. But things started getting a little too real when the words ice cream scoop appeared in a paragraph about excising infected flesh. I was like, okay, I'm good, We're good here. I did get a rash on my face when I was living in a house or black mold. But do you have people who ask about black mold in the walls or under the carpet? Is that a problem?
Speaker 3: So there are a lot of studies trying to figure out this.
Speaker 2: The funk that you're talking about is a black mold stacky batries, And so the stacky batrice is, you know, found kind of rarely. Usually it's a black mold, it's kladisporium or something else. But there are people trying to prove that.
Speaker 3: That stacky batries causes these things.
Speaker 2: And there's been a distinct lack of proof of it.
Speaker 3: So far.
Speaker 2: There are known mycotoxins on the spores that could be inhaled, and if you enthal in large amounts, hypothetically there could be something that happens.
Speaker 3: So, you know, it was an interesting time.
Speaker 2: So I had to spend a couple of months in Rochester, Minnesota, where the main clinic is, and you know, and get used to.
Speaker 1: That psychologically, when you when you look back on it now, how maybe how has it changed the way that you maybe look at life or or look at the things that you want to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you know, psychologically I had in trouble at justin because I know somebody had died and I had their heart inside of me, and so that, you know, that's some survivor guilt.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But also there was changes also in the way I thought about things. I don't let the little stuff bother me anymore. Yeah, And that turns out everything's little stuff, and so you just go with what you what you got, and you, you know, just do what you have to do.
Speaker 1: And he did a ted talk called a Change of Heart about his experience, and he shared a thought that brought me to tears.
Speaker 6: When my mother grew up during the depression, and whenever we got some new dishes or new clothes or new furniture or something, she would say, save it for good and put it off in a closet somewhere, or put a pulse to put plastic over the couch, or things like that. We're saving it for some good. It turns out that every day is good. Every day is good. I use the good china now, I sit on the good furniture and wear the clothes I want to. Every day is good, and there's no reason to save it for a good day. Use it now while you can.
Speaker 2: So you know everything that I have a very different attitude I have. You know, I just turned sixty and so when you know some people have this crisis, I.
Speaker 3: Said, I made it.
Speaker 2: I made it because there was a time I didn't think I was make it to fifty. So you know, the birthdays are a bonus and said of something, you know the dread I guess, yeah, yeah, we have I have a heart birthday every year, so they the people in my department don't have a little party for me.
Speaker 3: So that's kind of cool.
Speaker 1: Oh is there a heart shaped cake on usually? Do you get mushroom shaped cakes the other times the.
Speaker 3: Year sometimes Yeah, I've had mushroom shape cakes. Yes.
Speaker 1: And does it change the way that you maybe interact with yourtudents or how you maybe guide students into working on things they want to work on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'm better with students now than I was before. I'm friendlyer, I'm not as uptight as I was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so things are. I'd talk to anybody about anything.
Speaker 1: I have to say. I was running fifteen minutes later and you're like, okay, no problem, whatever. That's a little done every day is good in some way. So instead of saving all your questions, ask them now. Patrons get to submit questions beforehand. So we're about to ask them after a quick few words from some sponsors of the show, but before the sponsors. Because of the sponsors, each episode we get to make a donation to a cause of the ologists choosing. And Tom is a big supporter of donatelife dot net. Donate Life America as a nonprofit organization dedicated to increasing awareness for the need for organs and tissue donation. They want to help develop a culture where donation is embraced as a fundamental human responsibility. There's one hundred and fourteen thousand people in the US waiting for a donation of some kind. So to find out more about making your wishes known, you can visit donatelife dot net. And an additional donation was also made to the Mycological Society of America MSA, Fungui dot org and twenty twenty Ali here. So a third donation will be made to a charity that was really close to Tom's many hearts, and that is the Blue Stars Drum and Bugle Core. They are based in Lacrosse, Wisconsin, and Tom was a volunteer and a major donor to them for fifteen years. He was part of their family, and so we are making a pledge of support to them and their name as he would have wanted. And thank you to the following sponsors who I like so much for making those donations possible. Okay, back to your questions. Can I ask you some questions from listeners?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: Is that okay? They know that I'm meeting you specifically, of course, because I've been telling them forever. Zoe Bagger wants to know. I've not asked this question here before, and the subject has reached some havoc on our home recently I would be very grateful if this was asked the mycologists. Why do psilocybin mushrooms react to black light? Do psilocybin mushrooms react to black light?
Speaker 2: There are actually a lot of funds that react to black light. And so you see my little poster if there's a black light poster, which is.
Speaker 3: A homage to that.
Speaker 2: But there are people who bring black lights to mushroom forests and you find all the mushrooms laid out, and you turn the lights out and you find out which ones glow which color. So that's a a consequence of having different kinds of pigments that happen to glow under Evie light, and so they're just different. It's just so far as we know, it's just happenstance that happens. But there may not be any value to it to the fungus to do that, but it just happens. There are some fungi that glow in the dark without an Evie light. Which one So there's one called the Jack O'Lantern mushroom that's actually bright orange and clothes in the dark.
Speaker 1: Okay, quick aside, I look these up and they're bananas. They're this beautiful, soft golden rod color. They look a little bit like Chantrell's. However, they're poisonous. Please don't eat them. But at night they glow this acid alien green, so orange and glowing at night. Hence Jack o' lantern spooky cute. I approve of this branding. Also, I'm going to take a moment to read off some other glorious names of mushrooms, because frankly, you deserve to hear them. Okay, ready for this. There's the pear shaped wolf, fart puffball. There's witch, butter butt, rot, fungi, the bearded hedgehog, mushroom, octopus, stinkhorn, bearded tooth, mushroom, the devil's cigar, the bleeding tooth, fungus, hairsedge, smut, destroying angel, powdery piggyback, barometer, earth star, the gassy web, cap, do drop, dapperling, the humpback, the pretender, the drumstick, truffle, club bug, sputnik, cinnamon, jelly baby, pink disco, lemon, Disco, midnight disco, hairy nuts, disco, weeping tooth, crust, King, Alfred's Cakes, hot lips, pancake crust, dead mules, fingers, scurfy twiglet, plums, and custard. Literally, any one of those mushrooms could be playing Coachella next year. Do my collegees have just a hell of a time naming these mushrooms? Are think naming mushrooms.
Speaker 2: They're you know there there's challenges to doing that, and we use you know, we use all Latin is the best way to do it, because there are no standard common names for mushroom. Black there for birds and there you know, there's only seven nine thousand birds in the whole world. And there's probably you know, in this room right here that we're sitting in. This little room probably has five hundred species of fungi, and I think there's probably ten there's probably more like one point five million species of fungi.
Speaker 1: One five million species, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And so the things that glow are you know that are on DV or just I think it's just coincidence, huh.
Speaker 1: And Brown Rice wants to know, like Brian Rice, perhaps they're they're fam of very healthy eaters. How much decomposition are they responsible for? And what would happen if they suddenly disappeared?
Speaker 3: No, that's a good question.
Speaker 2: So I talked about that in my class and I tell them, if there were no fungi, we would be knee deep in everything or probably over our heads and wood and feces. Oh god, no. So the fungi and the bacteria are the degraders in the environment, and they break everything down so that other organisms can use that material.
Speaker 1: Again, just knee deep in feces. So a ton of people asked about psilocybin, which again I'm not a doctor, and I can offer no advice on if anyone should seek it out. I'm just relaying questions here. So Stephen Hoffman, Michael Novac, Lacy Gilbert, Zoe, Jane, Diana ju were all like, what is up with them? And Jerry Davis specifically asked which native ones are the most magic and easiest to find? Asking for a friend winky face asking.
Speaker 3: Or for him. It depends on what part of the country you're in.
Speaker 2: So you know, in the South there's different ones than there are in the Northwest, Northeast, and Midwest are not very resplendent in magical mushrooms in the wild. They're actually turned out to be really easy to grow, as I said, but they're in the wild, they're you know, special places where they're showing up, so I don't know where he's from.
Speaker 1: So he's got to join a mushroom club.
Speaker 3: He has to join the mushroom clubs.
Speaker 2: So some of the mushroom clubs are kind of frown upon the psychedelic things. But I think people are coming around. Is that, you know, we're showing that there is actual medicinal value to them. Sometimes they call them nutraceuticals because there are many many fungi that are eaten for their healthy properties, so especially in East Asia, so they've been using nutriceuticals. They've been using mushrooms as medicine for thousands of years probably, you know. And unlike what storm medicine where we want to take a pill and everything suddenly better, they eat these mushrooms over a long period of time and that leads to a healthy.
Speaker 3: Condition.
Speaker 1: And is this like cordyceps, rechi, cord hops ricchi, all those kind of things. Okay, shataki, okay, so quick aside. Cord aceps may be familiar from the Mirmorcology episode about ants because it infects insects brains and turns them into zombies. Ever played the video game The Last of Us? Yeah, that's real life. For some insects real life. Now shataki mushrooms are being studied for the possibility of tumor growth inhibition as well. Now side note to a side note, if you eat raw schataki, you might get something called shataki dermatitis, which looks like raised whiplash marks or claws scratches on your skin. I urge you to Google image search it because I am positive. In times of your village doctor healers were like, yes, I know science, and you've been attacked by a poltergeist. Put a leech on it. Your bill comes out to one goat but bye now. Also, this next question was asked additionally by Emily Hoban and Heather Dunsmore. Jared Frinston wants to know where can I find me somewhere else?
Speaker 2: The usual answer is out in the woods under some trees. There you go, you know, and if you haven't, if you have a good friend, they might take it to your spot.
Speaker 3: They might blindfold you as they.
Speaker 2: Take you there.
Speaker 1: Does that happen?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, my god, this is so petty and I love it.
Speaker 2: Another way to do it is to steal the GPS coordinates after someone posts their pictures online.
Speaker 1: And then you know exactly where.
Speaker 3: I know where it is.
Speaker 1: Is it true that they sprout up more after forest fires?
Speaker 2: There are certain SPECIs ofwhere else that come up after forest fires in the west, yes, so maybe so you would look for you know, the fires there, and you know in other places you look at dead for dead elm trees and in the south you might look under toola poplars or Okay, so in different parts of the country there's different species that are that have different ecological habitats.
Speaker 1: So you got to get in also with a tree person. Know your trees.
Speaker 3: You have to know your trees, those trees.
Speaker 1: Dionn Dabolou wants to know what are your thoughts on Star Trek discoveries my Celial Network, have you any.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen it, so I don't really know.
Speaker 2: I don't know the answered, but you know that's based on the you know, these trees talking to one another and they're you know avatar. You know that's not a bad way to think about these underground things. Is looking at at that.
Speaker 1: Movie Josh for I wants to know what's the best resource for someone who wants to start mushrooming at home, growing and harvesting not dripping, although I'm sure that maybe some could apply. So if someone wanted to start growing their own mushrooms, any advice.
Speaker 2: There's plenty of places online that will, you know, kind of guide you to that. There's Facebook pages and chatrooms and all sorts of things to to help you to grow.
Speaker 3: You can some books that'll that'll help you too.
Speaker 2: So very often these mushroom clubs have cultivation classes, and so you can join one of those and very often someone you know make your own bags and grow your own oyster mushrooms is a pretty common thing to do it for.
Speaker 1: It Dylan Ring wants to know do mushrooms have seasons the same way that plants.
Speaker 2: To Yes, and so they you know, they're not as obvious because they're they're just showing their fruiting bodies during certain seasons. So you look for merles in the spring, you look for inrman Myria, you look for Chantrell's in the summer, and look for bull eats in the summer, and then you start to get a frost and you get it honey mushrooms and chicken of the woods and hand of the woods and things like that.
Speaker 3: So yes, they're they're seasonal. Fruiters.
Speaker 2: But they're growing all the time and then they have to in an area they get dormant in the winter, they do. Yeah, And so they're they're you know, they're living inside the log and some sort of suspended animation that is unclear as of yet.
Speaker 1: Are they typically under the frost line when they're in underground.
Speaker 3: Sometimes but not always.
Speaker 2: You know, these microizel ones are usually within the top meter of soil.
Speaker 1: Okay, April Mehan wants to know if my dog eats the mushroom, how do I know if it's poisonous or not. What would some symptoms be?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there you have to know what the mushroom is. And so the same thing if a child is eating mushroom. So I'm on the call list for Wisconsin Poison Center Minnesota as well. So you know, we often get calls from dogs that have eaten something or kids that are grazing in the yard and you know, the mommy finds something in their hand and is worried about it. And usually it's not anything, but there, you know, dogs do die from it, and you know, and and there have beeny kid ones that I know of, but the dogs are out eating the you know, the stuff, and sometimes it's just rotten things.
Speaker 3: Like I had a dog case where dog eate a rotten mushroom.
Speaker 2: It would happened to be the am I scarrea of the lucinogenic one, but it was certainly way past what it would have been, and it probably died from the bacteria that it was needing all this junk. There's actually a really interesting Facebook grip where you can post your pictures really and I'll help you identify a poisoning.
Speaker 1: That's great. I mean before that, it's not like you could just send out an APB to the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the poison Center is available for human cases and they usually don't deal with dogs.
Speaker 1: Claire Kimberly and Jacqueline Snoke had the same question as Christy, whose syntax was perfection. Christy asked, do you have any mushy book wrecks?
Speaker 2: Mushy book wrecks? Wow, this is the time of the Internet, very cay. There are some really good mushroom keys on books. There's a There's been a whole ton of books coming out in the last ten years that are really good. So it really depends on what part of the country you're in, which kind of books you do want to get, and there's plenty of web pages as well that are just identification pages.
Speaker 1: They have to start with yours, yes, duh.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 1: Of course his site is linked in the show notes by the Bye. Also, a group of folks wanted to know this next question, including Michelle Grondine, the Lorax aka Forest, Kitty Halverson, Thomas Beckett, Laura Kenn. He wants to know I've read that there was a mushroom that could break down plastic. Is this true? And can use it to help clean up the sad plastic nightmare that the Earth is becoming.
Speaker 3: The sad plastic nightmare. Yes, but it needs a lot of development.
Speaker 2: So there are actually in two thousand and six we published a paper about breaking down finolic resin plastics, so of bowling balls and break linings and things like that, and we showed that they could break down, but they break down into something toxic. And so recently someone else. There have been several of these papers since that have working on different kinds of plastic.
Speaker 3: It's in different kind of fungi.
Speaker 2: So I haven't critically evaluated what's going on with those, whether I how far along they are in developing this for.
Speaker 1: Actual use, but they're working on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, so there's plenty of things to work on.
Speaker 1: Megan Janelle Leussion says, my boyfriend has texture issues and refuses to eat mushrooms. He's a vegetarian, though, so I'd really like to get him eating them, since they're a great substitution for meat, which mushrooms have the least mushroomy texture.
Speaker 2: So you should try some mushrooms called the Chicken of the Woods and the Hen of the Woods, which have the texture of chicken. Oh okay, so if you were to put those in a stir fry, in a stew, you would probably not know the difference between that and the meat. So those are both very good. Chicken of the Woods Lady Porous is not available commercially, no, it's.
Speaker 3: Quite figured out how to grow it successfully.
Speaker 2: But the Hen of the Woods, Griffila, my Talkie, all that's sending for the same thing are available commercially and they're pretty good.
Speaker 1: Nice. So yes, Hand of the Woods and Chicken the Woods totally different mushrooms, and I feel for them because they probably get each other's mail all the time. None of the ones are literally like what our mushrooms are pretty good substitute for meat in general.
Speaker 2: They are, they have they're pretty high in protein, they have a very good component of amino acids better than beans. They have a lot of B vitamins in them, and considering where they grow, they have lots of minerals of course, So right, do you.
Speaker 1: Think that they hurt when we pick them? I guess we're really just kind of picking their gennies. I mean we're really just getting their fruiting bodies, right, yennies kind of like? Okay, okay, Will Plea asks, should we be looking for new antibiotics in fungi?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, and so one of a few of my students have worked on looking for new anti fungal and antibiotic drugs on fungi. There was actually a whole group here that was looking for for those kinds of things in fungi and other things. So, yes, we need more antibiotics because of the you know, over prescription of antibiotics and various other problems that are causing drug resistant bacteria and such.
Speaker 3: So yes, we need more of that.
Speaker 1: So get in it. If anyone wants to go study it, sign up, get on it.
Speaker 2: YEA even though you know, the drug companies are constantly looking for for new things. But you know, getting making any drug is really expensive. Yeah, got all millions, billions of dollars billion.
Speaker 1: Crenilation asks, I love mushrooms and I love fairy circles. What can I do to invite mushrooms to live in my yard?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's nice.
Speaker 2: You can, you know, if there's some particular mushroom you want, you can collect it and then then you know, spread the spores in your yard. And so, you know, there's some fairy ring mushrooms you probably don't want an your yard. There's you know, fairy ring comes from a spoire land somewhere and it grows out in a circle because you have a pretty homogeneous environment in your in your lawn, and so then it just fruits on the edges of that. And then you know, the Middle English people thought that we're fairies dancing in and out of it and things like that. But the most common one that's in lawns is actually the most common cause of poison in North America, and it causes projective voarmbing productile diary at the same time, which is not as pleasant as it sounds. So they're you know this, this chlorophyllum all of diities, it's called is is is toxic. So that's one of the more common ones that's growing in fairy rings.
Speaker 1: So maybe not that one.
Speaker 3: Maybe not that one, but there are others.
Speaker 2: There's one called the fairy ring mushroom rasmus, which is edible, the most common.
Speaker 3: As well.
Speaker 1: Okay, so obviously one would be the better choice. Yes, so green light on the Scotch bonnet mushroom, not to be confused with the tongue searing scotch bonnet pepper. Let's all agree also to avoid the other one, which is called a false parasol or simply the vomitter. Okay, one more question. Bob Ogden wants to know. I'm allergic to mushrooms. I don't know anyone else who is. How common is this.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of people are allergic to mushrooms. So some people develop an allergy because they ate too much.
Speaker 3: Oh so I know at least ten.
Speaker 2: People who are allergic to morales who ate them for many years and then one year overindulged and now they can't eat them at all. And so and they are people allergic to you know that people are doing anything e lligious strawberries or coconut or whatever, so it's not surprising some people allergic to some mushrooms. There are some mushrooms that people are allergic to touch. I know several people that that happens with one particular one called the chicken fat mushroom.
Speaker 1: Okay, so from what I understand, the chicken fat mushroom is a little slippery, kind of greasy and can have what's been described as an organy flavor. Not for everyone, particularly the allergic.
Speaker 3: But that's you know, it's an our gamed like everything else.
Speaker 1: And last two questions, I always ask, what is one thing that is very annoying about mushrooms or your job in general?
Speaker 3: Annoying? I love my job.
Speaker 1: Anything that sucks.
Speaker 2: Some of them are difficult to work with. They don't cooperate and do what we want. But other than that, there the mushroom has been pretty.
Speaker 3: Good to me.
Speaker 1: Anything as a micology professor that's annoying.
Speaker 2: No, not really, I mean, I mean you know how I I'm the little stuff doesn't bother me.
Speaker 3: It's not easy to annoy me.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of different kinds of things, you know, I teach general micology every fall and we you know, you know, it's fun.
Speaker 3: We go and collect stuff.
Speaker 2: And I recommend it as as a good hobby for anyone to go out and collect mushrooms and make new friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're out in nature.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who compete that.
Speaker 1: You're wearing probably rubber boots, yeah, something like that, something like that. And then the last question, of course I always ask, is what is your favorite thing about mushrooms or your job.
Speaker 2: I like the people, Yeah, you know, I like the mushrooms, but the people are really interesting. There's some really interesting people in mycology. They tend to be smart, they're interested in science.
Speaker 3: We go to these amateur mushroomers.
Speaker 2: There's you know, they're from all walks of life, and you know they're interested in fungi for all kinds of reasons. So yeah, I think that's one of the most interesting things about it.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope they'll be a bloom of a new budding my cologists. Letting you get it, how many times are you introduced as a fun guy?
Speaker 3: Almost never?
Speaker 1: What, no one's like, you need to meet tom Bo, he's a fun guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's a very common.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Well, it's fine. I've prettended a lot every time.
Speaker 1: But you are a fun guy, so that only compounds the problem.
Speaker 3: I think, I suppose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much for letting us talk with you and letting me hold your heart in.
Speaker 3: My lap as I did it for the last half hour.
Speaker 1: I know, thank you so much. I can't wait for this to come out. You're the best. Join a mycological society, make some lifelong fungus friends. You can find doctor Tom Folk with an easy Google and his Wisconsin dot edu mushroom site will pop up. And if organ donation is now something you're interested in, that site was donatelife dot net. So links to those and the sponsors are in the show notes. They're also up at aliward dot com slash ologies slash mycology. We are ologies on Twitter and Instagrams who do follow there, I'm at ali Ward with one L on both come say hello. Thanks again to the patrons at patreon dot com slash ologies, where you could submit questions and support the show for as little as a dollar a month, and you can find other ologites by wearing merch from ologismerch dot com. You can tag photos on Instagram with hashtag ologies merch so I can repost you on Mondays. Thank you Bonnie Dutch and Chantie Feltis for managing that site. Thank you Aeron Talbert for being the moderator on the Wonderful Ologies podcast Facebook group. Thank you Jaried Sleeper of mind Jam Media for assistant editing and helping withst some research. I stole his Coachella joke and he said it was okay. And to the magical mushroom that is Stephen Ray Morris for editing all these clips and drops together stitching them together. Each week, Nick Thorburn wrote and performed the theme music. Now, if you listen to the end of each episode, you know I tell you a secret. And this week's secret. I have one of those shower doors that you need to squeegee so that it doesn't get spots on it. And I was late to the airport and I took a shorter shower than the amount of time it took me to squeegee the shower door. Wow, I spent more time cleaning this shower than myself. But this works. What can I say? And just a bonus twenty twenty two secret, I'm so sad to know that doctor Tombolk doesn't live among us, but I hope that he's in a mystical and mycological place, and I don't know. If you get a second to light a candle and illuminate the way for him, and just thank the universe for having him in it, albeit not for long enough, that would be cool. Also blow the candle out before you fall asleep, because we do not need anyone in a house fire. Okay. Also to be discussed in a later episode, but since this episode, under psychiatric supervision, I did a giant dose of magic mushrooms and it changed my life. It was just a few months ago. I have not yet talked about it publicly because I would like to do a mico psycho pharmacological episode on it. But it was a ride, so you'll hear about that at.
Speaker 3: A later date.
Speaker 1: Nobody even knows, so, Mom, if you're listening to that that happened, we'll talk later. Okay, farewell and save attorney doctor Bolk. Thanks for listening and celebrating him. Okay.
Speaker 3: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: Hacadermantology, hommeiology or doo zoology, lithology, new technology, meteorology, paratology, ethology, seriology, elithology, It was just a detour, a shortcut, a shortcut to what the mushrooms more hum