Speaker 1: Hey, Aidan, did you enjoy having a video game industry anchored by small, closely held companies with decades of history and the toys and games making businesses? You mean the type of industry that made Final Fantasy six in like ten months?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And did you enjoy a games media comprise mostly of independent publishing companies, most of whom specialized in games, tech, and or hobbyist publications?
Speaker 2: Loved it? It made me who I am? Too bad?
Speaker 1: Welcome to fun Factor Season two, Rise of the Corpos. You've got fun Factor. Two old gamers reviewing old video game magazine reviews. I'm Ty Shelter, He's Aidan Moher, and we're two professional writers who grew up loving the video games and video game magazines of the nineteen eighties, nineteen nineties, and two thousands. Every episode we take a critical look back on the games media that, for better and for worse, inspired us to do what we do. First, go to Factor pod dot com, follow the show on your podcatcher of choice, leave us a rating review on iTunes, Spotify, YouTube, wherever you get your podcasts. We read the best, kindest, funniest, and most insightful ones on the air in our letters section. Please consider becoming a member of fun Factor Ultra, our premium tiers, the unlock ad free episodes, bonus episodes, and the swanky members only channel of our discord. You also get access to watch our recording sessions live on secret private feeds as we have members of fun Factor Ultra in the chat with us right now as we record this very episode. Just go to Funfactor pod dot com. I promise you cannot miss the sign up with it on our homepage. Then help us spread the word. Shout us out on blue Sky at funfactor pod dot com and everywhere else at fun Factor Pod. Aiden. This week's issue humbles and shames me like no other for reasons. We're about to get into you. Uh but first, what is the wrongest you have ever been? The wrongest I've ever been? I mean, if you ask my kids or my wife, I'm sure they have many examples. Sure if you ask me the wrongest I've ever been?
Speaker 2: Man, that's tough.
Speaker 1: There were definitely like things I was excited about, but I'm that like didn't pan out or didn't become what I sort of hoped they would be.
Speaker 2: But are chronicle? Are you in Chronicle?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like it was okay, it was mid right, it was like it was mid So I don't yeah, I don't know, like I get excited about things, but I'm also like, just by nature a little cautious about enthusiasm, sure, and so I don't get over hyped on things. So what's something that I like didn't expect to be my jam and was? You know, like I think about like something like Elder or just hard games in general. I went through thing where I was like, man, like, this trend of hard games is not great. It makes them inaccessible and makes it hard for people to get into it and stuff like Hollow Nights, stuff like elden Ring, stuff like Dark Souls. So then I went to write a piece for my newsletter Astrolabe about why death is a mechanic is bad. So I played a bit of Dead Cells and then I was like, oh wait, no, what, I wait?
Speaker 2: I like this.
Speaker 1: I played some Hollow Night, which didn't click with me right away, but I've since played it and love it. And then I bought elden Ring because of the George R. Martin connection.
Speaker 2: I was just curious.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm a big I have a big background and fantasy books, and you know, I've read all the ice some fire books, song Arise, Fire Buks. Yeah, and so I was like, you know what the hypes get into me. I'll buy Elden Ring. I'll play it for a couple hours and then just to see if I can see like George's fingerprints on it. And then one hundred and fifty hours later I had platinumed.
Speaker 2: It and I was like, yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: And so that was one where I was like I kind of started to get it and my cynicism about difficult games, I should say challenging games, because I think there's a difference between like a challenging game that's ultimately fair and balanced, and like a hard game that's not balanced, So like something like Hollow Night very challenging, something like the stuff Working Designs was doing in this era where they're artificially increasing difficulty was hard in a bad way, and so like, I kind of didn't understand the difference between the two until then, And now I understand why I was missing out on.
Speaker 2: All these popular games that I actually.
Speaker 1: Really like in the end, and it was because of that sort of cynicism towards something I didn't understand well, Yeah, and I had a whole bunch of cynicism for something and it turns out it was wrong. This issue Next Gen eighty five is a monument to the absolute wrongest I have ever been and it's next Gen. We've time skipped from our first season well passed in the magazine was called all Capitals, Next and then Generation. I want to describe this cover for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we have a very.
Speaker 1: Green, very xboxy cover, a lot of like white text on a black background, but dominating is a big glossy Xbox logo. Yes, and it says Special Edition Ultimate Xbox Review Guide. Twenty six launch titles rated, including four genuine classics okay, sure, two complete duds that tracks three major surprises, but which are which. When this issue came out in January two thousand and two, we'd all been reading more and more rumories about Microsoft's Direct Xbox, and unlike the timeframe of our first season, by this point I not only had a gaming PC, I was a registered small business owner, buying parts at wholesale and building custom PCs for friends and businesses. So I was very well acquainted with what Microsoft was doing in the computer space and the idea that they could build a small, self contained, reliable, powerful and cool games console was laughable. We were still in the sort of eraw when vaporware quote unquote was most often applied to hardware. I've often joked that every year at CEES they'd spin this big wheel full of electronics makers, telecom providers, and toy companies and then make them hold a press conference announcing their new games machine or multimedia platform or whatever that had zero chance of shipping, let alone selling. Matt Susheta is teaming up with Mattel to make your Pacific Bell cable box run LaserDisc games, right Like, So many consoles got announced and then they never had any real games to show, never had any third parties on board. The M two M two for sure, and they basically just seemed to think if they could just get the plastic box in the world, gamers everywhere would lap it up. And you could bet that these consoles would never get made, and if they did get made, they'd completely suck, or if they somehow didn't completely suck, they'd see like a tiny release in Japan or like California only, and then just vanish the Apple Slash Bandai Pippin is still effectively a fairy tale, even if Wikipedia tells me today that twelve thousand units did ship in the US, and all of these things I swore up and down to my friends also applied to the Xbox.
Speaker 2: You know, I was right there with you.
Speaker 1: So you know, if this was wrong, doubting the Xbox, that probably would be the wrongest I've been in a sense, except there's only.
Speaker 2: Been one good Xbox time, the three sixty. All the rest have been like.
Speaker 1: Sus I think, so, I like, I don't think I'm wrong. Next, what is Xbox at this point? Yeah, that's the thing is that we should have been right right, Like so many people are involved back then today talk all the time on podcasts about how what a moonshot it was, and how counter to Microsoft corporate culture it was, how often the project was nearly killed, and how many tiny little miracles had to happen for the company still shipping Microsoft Office with Clippy the paper Clip Assistant to design, build, develop a library for, and then successfully sell millions of units of a genuinely cool game console. But it did hit stores en mass across the continent. On November fifteenth, two thousand and one, making Japan wait for once, and here we have all twenty six launch titles rev in this issue of next Gen, which would have been on newsstands in time for Christmas shopping. Microsoft launching a legitimate challenge to Sony's already dominant PS two would mark the birth of a massive, glorious new era in games, but it would also mark the end of a beloved era in games media. If you are not already a member of fun Factor Ultra and getting ad free episodes.
Speaker 2: Hang tight through the break.
Speaker 1: When we come back, we will crack open the cover and flip through next Gen eighty three right here on fun Factor.
Speaker 3: If this is tied from the future, I said issue eighty three right here, but I meant issue eighty five. So every place I say issue eighty three this episode, just know that I meant issue eighty five.
Speaker 2: My apologies.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to fun Factor, where two old gamers review old video game magazine reviews. Of course we want you to review us. Did we get a full five point zero fun Factor? Leave a review on Apple Podcasts and we'll read the best, kindest, funniest and most entertaining ones on the air. Aiden the deal with next Gen. Again, this is next generation the magazine, but we can see already it is not next generation in the magazine. It's next gen. Logos change, the fonts have changed. It doesn't look uncool, but it doesn't stand out from its competitors. A lot of other games magazines had kind of leveled up as well and gone to the you know, sans serif once more professional looking, kind of clean design that they kind of led the industry on. And so it's not like A doesn't look like an evolution of it, but it also doesn't look much different than most of the other magazines on the shelves at this point.
Speaker 2: It is it's very generic. And that was my first thought.
Speaker 1: When we when I bloaded up this issue to start taking a look at is it just looks like a magazine.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Like Next Generation had such a vibe to it and it was so far ahead of its time, but it feels like they kind of missed the boat here and this looks like, you know, it looks.
Speaker 2: Like it could be anything, really like it could be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the world, it could be games for Windows, it could be you know, like it looks like one of those kind of generic magazines you see on newstands. Now, that's like the ultimate guide to chat GP. It's just like the most like, you know, generic magazine you could possibly imagine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So issue eighty three, January two thousand and two, one hundred and three numbered editorial pages. That is slim.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Number of games reviewed forty nine these twenty six for the Xbox cover story in twenty three for other platforms, which is wild. That's a huge number of reviews at the number of systems. That's like a review for every two pages.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh huh uh huh uh huh yep uh number systems reviewed for his five, Xbox, GameCube, PlayStation two, Dreamcast, and PC. I'm gonna open this up here a little bit and get to now the masthead proper is actually at the back of the issue. However, we have a little editorial letter from the editor here.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: This guy holding cannon mountain. Do don't recognize him? He is, in fact Blake Fisher, executive editor. I don't remember his name, despite his having worked at Next Gen for several years at this point. And I guess that's what happens when you don't give people bylines. Eh h Could you please read for me the beginning of his letter from the editor. Yes, so, in the three years I've been at Next Generation, I've always hoped that one day I'd be that guy at the front who tells you what this issue's all about. Never did I think it would be like this, though. You see, it's Sunday.
Speaker 2: I'm really tired and haggard.
Speaker 1: And I need to get this call him in before the magazine ships to the printer first thing tomorrow morning. In short, I'm exhausted and my work is late. Honestly though, I just had to see how Halo ended, and trust me, it was worth the all nighter, all right, So good kind of first introduction to Blake here. Unfortunately, it's very bittersweet, not just because he's haggard and tired and turning in his first issue late after pulling a all nighter playing Halo, but because this is also his last letter from the editor, because this is the issue of Next Gen. The magazine ended after this. We get a little hint here and the ending it was always called ending, right, because they were doing NG at the beginning of the magazine.
Speaker 3: They tried to.
Speaker 2: Work an NG into all their site.
Speaker 1: And so we say so long, We love our readers looking back back page Bye bye. This is the only actual reference in the magazine to the fact that this is the last magazine. Yes uh or drub in Chat says press f to pay respects Big F in the chat for next Gen. Don't worry about Blake, though, he did very well for himself. After four years at Future Us, the publishing group that published Next Gen and Game Players and other magazines, he switched to Game Dev and he must have really loved this Xbox launch lineup because a couple of months after this issue hit the shelves, he started a sixteen year run developing third party portfolio planning for Xbox title. By the end of it was Director third Party Portfolio Planning. And then in twenty eighteen, Microsoft started a new quasi independent first party studio called The Initiative, and Fisher started there as Director of World and Narrative. Unfortunately, this was the studio created to make the Perfect Dark reboot, and as we all know now, that did not go so hot, so he left in twenty twenty three, joined Hi Rez Studios for a year and now he is at Tencent Director Venture Lab. So my guess is it's more portfolio type management stuff as opposed to directly getting into game death. So yeah again, Blake Fisher Dida Okay after this, but I got into games journalism at the wrong time.
Speaker 2: Time.
Speaker 1: Oh, you don't even know. You don't even know, Aiden because besides Jeff Lundergan and a couple other you know, future and next Gen regulars Bulwarks Longtimer's managing editor jennifersal now had been managing editor for over a year, and after this she'd move on to EGM and was the managing editor there for five years. Over five years. Yeah, and she also in the meantime took on that title for the One Up Network when it came into being. In two thousand and eight, she jumped over the desk and joined Sega as Associate creative director for like a year and a half. Then there's like a several year gap in her resume and she notes only doing freelance work for Wikia quote creation of parent oriented articles within existing video game, TV and movie wikis, so like part time wiki editor. And then in twenty fourteen she joined Venture Beat as managing editor again, where despite her titles, she said, the staff endearingly call her the quote chief Typo and Deadline officer. But then, Aiden, could you read the second half of her venture Beat bio for me. I grew up in and around Silicon Valley and I've worked here for almost twenty years. I have close friends and family members with ties to major companies like Facebook, Google, Twitter, and others. I'm committed to keeping these relationships separate from my professional life as a journalist, and I will recuse myself from involvement in any story where a conflict may arise. I support venture Beat's ethics statement.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Jensow's work history on LinkedIn ends here, and I could not find any other place where she may work after twenty fifteen, And I did a little digging around, and it feels like I can pretty constantly say that the close friends and family members with ties to major Bay Area tech companies is how she is able to lead an instagram worthy life still to this day in the Bay Area, doing all sorts of cool stuff all the time and not really having to work for money. So yeah, right place, right time. Uh, literally living a dream. Congrats to Jensau. That's how we would all love to be able to do it. And again, it just kind of goes back to you like you said, and I got into games media at the wrong time. And you know, so much of that was where were you at the time, right, Like were you in San Francisco? Were you in New York? Were you at a did you know somebody?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Were you really talented, really hard working person with an absolute passion for games writing or both? And you know, way ahead of the curve. Okay, cool, you could end up at running these pubs or being in tech or directing game studios or whatever it was. And you know, there's a lot more opportunity to get in at the ground floor. But the floor doesn't get all.
Speaker 2: That much higher up the ground.
Speaker 1: Now it's like subterranean, get in in the sub basement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, like a skimmer of water. Who on the floor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is time for the flip through, okay, In we have to start with the first ad of the magazine. This is for Connecticut Racing has evolved. Yeah, and there's there's so much to unpack here. We have this person with wheels on their hands and ankles and this, but like armor, we have to be clear that these wheels are attached like to the insides of their feet. Like yeah, now I believe you could stand on these two wheels with these but then the wheels on the hands are like on the palms. I'm this is wild attack, so I think the idea is like wipe out. But no, no, you turn into the motorcycle.
Speaker 2: You are, yes, like you.
Speaker 1: You like connect your feet and you connect your hands and you turn into a motorcycle. Yes, okay, and I have apologies, folks, I'm trying to with this CBR the we so yes, see, okay, this is the dream, right not having to work, that's like, you know, that's great, but this is the dream. We're ang getting to turn into a motorcycle with your like boo bar with your boo barmer. And this is this is the part of been slow playing. First of all, I didn't even recognize this is her hat here right, like this is a helmet. And we want to talk about like anatomically impossible like the skeleton, the rib cage. This spine has got to be like seven feet long and everything is protected except from the rib cage to the knees. And then we just get underwear and then the tagline here zero to sixty and thirty six twenty four thirty six gross of course, yeah, it's absolutely bizarre freak stuff. I like the boob armor also notably has like nipples, yes, like nipple armer too. Yeah, Oh my gosh, yeah, good amazing stuff. We're gonna see, like in a way like we've been doing late nineties cringe. I think like early aughts cringe.
Speaker 2: Is gonna be worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's like it's going to be trying to appeal to like older cringe forry people than like like twelve year olds. Yeah, so get excited for that, I guess everyone. We go ahead to the editorial content, of which spoiler, there is very very little we have lift off launch Mania, Xbox and GameCube are now in the hands of gamers, real fun starts. They have a little tiny bit of an interview with Bill Gates. It's mostly not cool. Another bit of news here Tokyo Game Show. Word at the Tokyo Game Show was that Sega looked unstoppable, it says here, chucking off the hardware business instead. And yeah, Sega's doing great, focusing on software only, which, by the way, folks, and the time skip we were seeing teasers for Dreamcast specs and the Naomi Arcade Board, which was Dreamcast based directly right, basically just Dreamcast in an arcade box. Skip forward four years. Dreamcast is dad. Never mind, forget about that whole Dreamcast come and gone. We have Windows XP plays hard randomly five star review, revolutionary, brilliantly conceived and flawlessly executed, a new high water mark according to their grave and according to their grade system, it's it is the best Window.
Speaker 2: Four Windows XP. Ah yeah, I would give that.
Speaker 1: A five stars as far as grading on a curve because it's still Windows.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Windows XP has features like.
Speaker 1: Easy CD burning and a built in firewall, but gamers need only remember three words stability, software, and speed because it's built on the two thousand kernel. Okay, great, and that's the end of the editorial, which is wild for next generation. Like what a shift from what we were reading and looking at last season. Absolutely so we get Xbox review as promised, We have capsule reviews of every Xbox game. At least Halo gets a full one page review, but only a one pager Yeah, like that is the Xbox game, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, And let's see Halo didn't get five stars. Yes, Halo got five stars, so it gets what are the seventy five words like what's our other all time classics Aiden Dead or Alive three? Quite possibly the best three D fighting game ever made, both in graphics and gameplay, is this. Did Did I miss that? The HDTV advantage? I no way that was an advantage. I Those thhdtvs were so bad in two thousand and three. Man just input leg alone and stuff. Yeah, well what I what I wanted at the time was and and God help you.
Speaker 2: Uh those HDTV c rts, those.
Speaker 1: Big, huge oblong ones with giants.
Speaker 2: I want one.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, those things were. Those things were monstrous yeah, and bad like and they also had like tremendous input lag. They're great for, like if you want to watch some Blu rays, but uh, they're no good for I didn't even realize that at the time. Yeah, so Odd World Munches Odyssey. I got four stars. Maybe that's not a cut, but again, and I'm not saying one star Kabookie Warriors needed or one star Shrek needed any more time, right, But that's.
Speaker 2: The Holy cow.
Speaker 1: I do appreciate that they're using their full scale They absolutely are.
Speaker 2: You didn't see that all that often.
Speaker 1: So you've got this box checklist, right, So what genre number of players. Does it support five point one dillivy Does it support HDTV? Some of them do, some of them don't. Tony Hawk pro Skater. They're also counting for ADP is HDTV, which is pretty funny. Yeah, the seven is the only one. Tony Hawk is the only one that sports seven twenty P objection. Halo did not support four ADP. Interesting. Interesting, Okay, that's according to Lord Druv and the chat. So yeah, skip ahead two previews here and this in this issue is just stacked. We've got this huge spread for Terminator Dawn of Fate, which I've never heard of, and then Matt hoffins Doom on the game Boy Advance Banger. Yeah, Space Channel five Part two, spider Man in the movie. But we've got Final Fantasy ten. We okay, maybe sid Meyer sim Golf, I.
Speaker 2: Know that exists. That actually seems kind of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm that looks pretty cool. Yeahsaha, yes, right. Uh. We get a two page ad spread for Final Fantasy ten.
Speaker 2: Pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Then we get to the reviews. Again, this is the whole this is the whole thing. It's it's all reviews. No editorial five stars from Metal Gear Solid two. But one thing the tagline for the Metal Gear Solid two one thing review is quote one thing's for certain you won't be disappointed, speaking of like how wrong could you possibly be? As like our intro discussion, like man, there were a lot of disappointed people who played MGS two.
Speaker 2: I liked it. Yeah, yeah, not me. Okay, but.
Speaker 1: I'm actually gonna skip ahead two letter section. When I heard that the shen MoU two was canceled for a Dreamcast, I was, like many other Dreamcast fans, really pissed. I'd been looking forward to a great game like Shenmu too for my dying or should I say dead Dreamcast anyway, I would love to know if any other upcoming Dreamcast games are to be canceled. This would be a great help since I would be spared the disappointment of my anticipation. From Joshua P Seven via email and do you want to read the response here starting with sorry to say, Sorry to say, but a quick glance over upcoming Dreamcast releases in the US shows well nothing no first party games after Sega Sports Tennis two K two and nothing from third parties either. So while Dreamcast won't and shouldn't be forgotten, it certainly is gone. It is worth pointing out that Shenmu two res and Headhunter will be released for Dreamcast in the UK, but unless you've got a model console, that's not much help. A man, it's tough, and we'll have to do some We'll do some Dreamcast stuff, and certainly at some future season will be the intermediary period in here where we're skipping ninety eight, ninety nine, two thousand and two thousand and one. Obviously we've got a game, a demo disc here, and atter the demo disc, all the stuff, the best three D fighting game ever made, Dead or Real life three Halo, et cetera. But I really wanted to get to retro view because this is cool. And as we've showed, they've been doing retro gaming you know inserts, and they by this point they've got a regular feature retroview look back at January nineteen ninety eight with a fake next Gen cover like this is what the vegazine Fun would have looked like at the time.
Speaker 2: That's sick. Yeah, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen any other magazines do that. We have retro sections, but like doing an actual like second cover for January nineteen eighty Eight's pretty Fun special My Super Mario Brothers two was delayed again.
Speaker 2: Like this is great.
Speaker 3: I love this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah that this is so good.
Speaker 1: Japan's Special Report, Japan's Loving sixteen viit Console or at what it means to you? Yeah, at want to play while waiting for the sn s, Shnobi, Bionic Commando, Ghouls and Ghosts, Narc Ninja Gaiden. Yeah, and I don't know is this the original box art? It probably is, or at least an original asset, right. Yeah, it's like a big zoom in on Shinobi's like face covered by like his ninja mask.
Speaker 2: Yeah, glowery and eyebrows.
Speaker 1: Because I was gonna say that art is very much of the time. If it wasn't, it wasn't original. It looks like it'd be amazing if they actually commissioned well in an eighty style. You can see up at the top it seems oh maybe not, Maybe that's just the arrow has a black box.
Speaker 2: I thought there was like a clear cut at the top, but no.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Top ten Hills of nineteen eighty eight rain Man who framed Roger grab It in the real world That got Emmy winners. The price of a first class US postage stamp Skyrockets from twenty two to twenty five sets. Okay, woo, yeah, this is so funny in nineteen eighty eight. That's it's cool that they're doing that. And then we get the ending, the ending ending, and here's where we've got the masthead again. Not a ton of other than Jeff Lundrigan. We don't have a ton of recognizable names here, except there's a couple in this editorial contributors that I'm going to skip over for the moment. I know Jennifer sou from One Up, her days at one OP. She was big on the One Up show and stuff, And of course Jeff Lunderground a game player is alum, yeah, and I like this backwards compatible thing where they're talking about here, Oh did you miss something? Could be argued that even truly great gameplay wouldn't help you if your mouth is so and shut page forty one. What are those are the chokes on the end of his arms? Page sixty five. You know, so if you thought you read through the issue, you flipped through it, or you know, maybe you missed something, or maybe some people start at the back. Apparently we had a couple of guests say oh yeah. I like to go to the back and then read it backwards, like, oh, okay, that was me?
Speaker 2: Was that you? That was me? I've read magazine?
Speaker 1: Well now they the next gen was helpfully including a guide to here's all the stuff you are about to see next month. Games as art. Music is art, painting is art. Why not games? And this is presage twenty years of incredibly exhausting discourse. I love the mock up here of the Space Invader enemy on this beautiful hand carved wooden gilted frame, and the kind of the hutspot of this is that, as we know from the little hints there, this is the last issue with magazine. We're never getting the next gen issue of Games as Art, No, which is too bad. When did Ebert Roger Ebert do his whole games as I want to say, like that was seven eight something like yeah, okay, so that this was before that. I do find this funny, like especially the framing of like a Space in Vain is like sprite framed in a big, fancy like picture frame because just like just as week, what I did was print off a bunch of like screenshots that I've taken on photo at photo size on photo paper to hang up and decorate my office with. And so like I think that, like you know, it seems silly to put a big pixel lee sprite in a fancy frame, But as games have like progressed, there is art worthy of putting on a wall that doesn't involve what you know, I think actually makes video games art, which is you know, that immersive agency that people have when they experience it, which is what art is all about, right absolutely, But now it can also just look really pretty. Yes, both of those things. And by the way I looked it up. His original video games Can Never Be Art essay was twenty ten, and then he also wrote a response to it in twenty twelve, where he complains about everybody begging him to play this game or that game so he can see how wrong he is, and that at I I, just like Rogerie, were playing Shadow of the classus would be like, yeah, oh put that on pay per view.
Speaker 2: Incredible.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, it is time to do the thing we do. If you have not become a member of Fun Factor Ultra getting ad free episodes, don't worry. After our amazing original music from Millennium Felc and a couple of ads. We will come back and review next Gen's review Uh pickman, we are back on fun Factor. Uh incredible first episode of our second season, Rise of the Corpos, the beginning of just big big, big, big, big, big, big, big money companies dominating the space, and the end of some really beloved game magazines, but also the beginning of some beloved game magazines and game media outlets. We are starting to see the seeds of a lot of cool stuff. And uh yeah, if you like what we're doing again, make sure you go to fun factor pod dot com subscribe, become a member so you can join us as we record these episode sessions, so you can get ad free episodes, all that good stuff and our bonus episodes. Also, we have big one coming up next week. We've had in the cam for a minute, hot minute, so real quickly, let's go over the review system. We've done this before because it's still next gen system. It has not changed. It's still five stars. They are no longer printing their whole rubric, but I pretty much remember it right, and they try to use the whole scale. Five stars is revolutionary. As I said before, brilliantly conceived, wlawlessly executed a new high watermark. Excellent is a step forward for an existing genre or successful attempt at creating a new one.
Speaker 2: Good is.
Speaker 1: You know, good like a good example of an existing genre, et cetera. Fair was perhaps competent, certainly uninspired, and then bad one star was like seriously flawed and design or execution. They say here, since we're living in a time when even average games are pretty good, we at next generation will continue to demand even better. Note that a three star rating is a typical good game, so expect to see a lot of them. I actually do like this rubric me too, Like I like that it attempts to use the whole thing and recognize that like three is average, so two is like just below average, not bad necessarily, I think is what a lot of people would consider, like the seven out of ten game now right, yeah, but you know, having like Revolutionary as a five star and then Excellent as a four star, like even like you know four star being like, hey, this is still like cream of.
Speaker 2: The crop, right yeah, yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: Is is good and maybe more useful than a lot of the condensed rubrics used that just don't use the full scale.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, I totally agree, and I wish we could like live by such a scale today instead of the binary five stars one star or the you know ten point scale that goes from you know, six.
Speaker 2: To ten or seven to ten even. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So in we've got Pickman for game Cube. And as always, of course there's no by what what say what? And what's over here? What's over here? FIFA two thousand and two by Gary Whitta, Oh, Gary wit A, Star Wars rogue On, Gary, Star Wars Rogue Ones, Gary Whitta, so, Jim Preston, Scott Steinberg, Peter Suchu. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Who these people are.
Speaker 3: Some of them ar.
Speaker 1: WWF SmackDown what. I love that they got the British guy to review WWS and Madden, I'm sorry two K two, Gary wit A reviewing NFL two K two.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's so. They were doing freelance reviews, that is the thing.
Speaker 1: So I believe outside of the ones that Blake Fisher and Jeff Lundergan did and again named, I think what they did was they as a staff reviewed all the Xbox games as their editorial for the month, and then brought in freelancers to review everything from everything else right, Yeah, so that's how they got this issue out the door, the last issue out the door before the lock. They blew all their freelance budget for the year and couldn't produce another issue, right, Chrisly, You know Chris Late was like writing for five bucks a word.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, I had looked this up because he was at PSM for a while, and so I think he still would have been PSM's editor in chief at this point for the same company Future Us. Yeah, he was nothing like bringing in your PlayStation ehicee to review a GameCube game for a magazine like a magazine covering Xbox. Yes, and then he went from Future US because I think Future US took over Nintendo Power. He became editor in chief of Nintendo Power in October two thousand and seven, and then in twenty sixteen because he also in twenty twelve he became editor chief of MacLife, which was another Future magazine, and then in twenty sixteen he went to Nintendo and became their munications guy, still senior manager of corporate Communications. Yeah, so Chris Late still working at Nintendo. But it's pretty amazing that here he's the hardcore PlayStation magazine, fully independent, fiercely PlayStation by and for true PlayStation diehards, and he's here reviewing Pigman the Nintendo East of Nintendo Games truly. Yeah yeah, so, uh, Miyamoto, let your freak flag fly? And do you want to do just kind of the beginning two paragraphs here? Yeah, before that, I just want to touch on that, like subhead Miamoto, let your freak flag fly. We do talk a lot about like when we're individual creators starting to be credited the same way like musicians or film.
Speaker 2: Directors or authors would be.
Speaker 1: And so see Miamoto like called out by name without context. I think is a good sign of the fact that we were starting to like identify specific games with specific creators. Of course Miyamoto is like the creator, but I think that is an interesting sign of of evolution of how we talked about games. Okay, quote, every new Nintendo system has one wild card game at launch, pilot Wings for Superannias and Nintendo sixty four's Wave Race. GameCube gets Pickman, Nintendo's most bizarre creation since Pokemon, and the latest from legendary designer Shagaru Miyamoto. You control cute little Captain Orima, whose spaceship crashes on a remote planet Fyi in Japanese characters. Orima is Mario spelled backwards. Let me jump in here.
Speaker 2: Is that what he's called? Ol ol I m A R. Yeah. So that's uh, which interesting.
Speaker 1: So pre release, yeah, they like transliterated the Japanese character, yeah, and the yeah ri alright, oh yeah, but then they went with olimar so my, and then they did the l R. I'm just curious pre release, like when did this? When did this?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, that's interesting, Like they hadn't had like English communication, like like press materials about this and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah at this like at the time he was writing this, I guess that's really interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if you played the Japanese version and went, oh, yeah, cool, that's Mario, Okay, cool. And then they localized it as Olimar maram what like I mean, like Orima I think is just I expect they felt like it was a hard word to say in English, right, and so they just sort of tweaked it a little bit. This is the l R thing with Japanese and English, and then they just sort of like, you know, you switch that l R to an L and then put the R at the end right right, And so that was just like a like, you know, trying to get some kids to say the name or whatever on and tweaking it from there. But do you see like in the screenshots or there is there English, like he probably was playing like a Japanese yet no, he just got numbers here. And this game obviously had very little text too. It was kind of a like, oh, here's your setup, Okay, great, you know there's They tried to make it as unobtrusive a UI as possible. Yeah, and look, all the UI elements are transparent, right, Like, I think that was the whole thing. I think me Moto really really really wanted to make this immersive something that I've you know, known I noticed years ago, I think in the coverage for Super Mario sixty four he talked about, like I wanted to create a small three D garden, like he talks about, yeah, games as gardens all the time, always has for decades, okay, right, and so like I really appreciated that given the GameCube, he really tried to literally let me just make a game that is a garden in a garden.
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: That was that was cool.
Speaker 1: I like, here, uh, controlling the pickmen is beautifully easy. They'll naturally follow you, but you can manually move them as a group with the yellow sea stick. The A button throws them and the B button whistles of Picman back back over if it gets separated. It's all very intuitive, with that special Nintendo magic to it at The levels are also meticulously designed so that when you find a ship part, you have to solve several puzzles to bring it back safely to the camp. Multitasking armies of pickmen to get the most done each day is the real key here. And like this is all like you know, very mechanical, but I think it's important to try and convey this is it's so wetted to the GameCube controller. Yes, the design is the game is like it's all put together in one way, and it doesn't it's hard to communicate. This looks really weird and the controller is really weird. And when you're trying to get like how is this gonna work? But you're like, no, you have to understand this. It feels like this console was built to run this game. Yes, yeah, and I mean that was you know, Miamoto was always trying to do that, right, like looking at unique games that he could make that embraced what his the latest.
Speaker 2: Nintendo console was trying to do.
Speaker 1: And Pickman is the most GameCube game of all time, right, and it's always felt I didn't play Pickman at the time on GameCube, but I've played it since. But it's one of those ones where, like you know, it was re released on Nintendo Switch online recently, I think, and that's one where it's like, if you can get your hands on the Nintendo GameCube controller for Switch, like do it, because the game just feels that much better than trying to play with the more generic like pro controller or whatever.
Speaker 2: I also like how this part.
Speaker 1: Of the review, you know, if you sort of like piece it together, it describes like a reverse Zelda in a way where like Zelda in Miamo do Zelda games, you were trying to solve puzzles to reach your goal, whereas in Pickman you sort of have to reach your goal and then solve your puzzles to get a bat yeah yeah track, you know, can't traverse back the way you came.
Speaker 2: And I think that that's an.
Speaker 1: Interesting reversal on his usual design methods for like Zelda. I love the death of a Pickman in set box here We're not going to sugarcoat this game for you. Many pickmen won't make it through alive, but if their deaths are entertaining, their sacrifices will not have been in vain. Here are a few of their our favorite ways. Death by fire, death by water, death by a gested purple pickman, zombie on death and uh, you know, so like there is that playfulness and you feel bad. They're like, oh, you know, like especially when you screw up and then you have to hear like a big massive diode. Oh. But it's not like you know, X Calm or some of these other games where you have NPCs that you get so individually attached to that you're like, no, if this, if this one dies, I'm hitting reset.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's not that, but it is still gets you in the feels a little bit. And it's funny because like this comes back to what I was talking about with like my impression of hard games and death as a mechanic, And like in Mario.
Speaker 2: If you died, it was like, oh, that was a mistake.
Speaker 1: Now I need to redo it, learn so that I don't die the next time. Whereas this didn't trivialize death like you still needed to manage that, but it also showed that, like, you know, just as death is part of the natural world and the natural life cycle, like that's part of what Pickman is, Like you're not making it through without people the little pigman dying, and it kind of leans into the naturalistic themes that Miyamoto was always.
Speaker 2: Pursuing in his uh in his creations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I want to say I really liked Pickman. My wife loved Pickman my way. My wife played the silver off the disc of Pickman. Yeah, so much Pickman, Yeah, and all the sequels, right, she loved the sequels. And she actually plays Pickman Bloom, the Pokemon go alike, right, the Niantica, Yeah, she played and still played so much Pickman Bloom. I want to say, COVID kind of warps exactly how much. She's also a fanatic walker. She walks like six miles a day, so she plays a ton of Pickman Bloom. And at one point Nyantic just sent her a gift box with like bandana and like little tokens and trinkets and stuff, and it's just sort of like, thank you so much for playing so much Pickman Bloom. Like that, how much that is true sick oh mode when the developer the publisher is like, whoa you playing a notable amount of this game? Yeah, and so yeah, it's fun and like they say here bottom line, they give it four stars, I should say, uh. In creating something between a classic Nintendo platformer and a PC real time strategy game, Mimoto has delivered a fun and quirky experience that may not be on Grand Escalist Nintendo's flagship titles, but will still be fondly remembered for a long time. And does that strike you obviously in hindsight, yes, it was fondly remember for a long time. Does that strike you as a bit of a swing, because to me, I feel like this was received. I think this wrong footed a lot of gamers at the time.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I was like, I guess if you were looking at the GameCube and you were wanting but you were getting stuff like Supermatchal Idea getting you know, I guess people looking at Yeah, I don't like, that's a good question. I like the New Miamoto game. You know, they didn't have a Zelda launch title, right, they didn't.
Speaker 3: Have the Mario.
Speaker 1: This was our Mario sixty four was Pickman. You know, like Mario sixty four was like the console defining game at once, Yeah, defined the whole genre of three D platformers, right, like this was like the most Mario Mario and the most you know, and so the equivalent to this is Pickman. And I think some people were thrown you know, the RTS thing, Like, I mean, I guess, yeah, it is an RTS. I remember being given for a loop by that but going I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess it. I guess an RDS. You know, I guess maybe.
Speaker 1: But you know, so having this like genre bending, totally original, new character, new world, you know it again, totally unexplainable without the context to the controller, Like it felt like it threw people off. And I feel like that it's a not a huge swing, but a good line out to walk out on by Chris Slate to go, this is gonna be not remembered as like the epic new thing of all things, but it's gonna be fondly remembered for a long time and not like but.
Speaker 2: I think he was right. I think he yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, he.
Speaker 1: Recognized that, like, hey, people might not appreciate this now, but and like we just got picked him four, Yeah recently, right, so like definitely, and I mean like it. Obviously, it didn't convince me to buy a GameCube because I didn't play it and I didn't get a launch I didn't get a GameCube until I got a game cube and walked out with Animal Crossing and Metric Prime, which like to old timers, but those are also very different experiences, and that's what I was looking for and always looking for from Nintendo, was, Hey, I want these traditional games, these traditional experiences like Metric Prime, but I also want some of the weird stuff that I didn't know I wanted in the first place. And so like Pickman as like a launch title here, I think you're right, is unusual. But I also liked and like the fact that Miyamoto was able to like do what.
Speaker 2: He wanted at that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know what I mean, Like, yeah, I think that's that's important for Nintendo, and you know, but we also have to recognize that the GameCube did not form particularly well in this console generation.
Speaker 2: Right. I love the GameCube, It's I think it's.
Speaker 1: An amazing console, but it definitely like as a follow up for the six, Nintendo sixty four did not like did not help nintendover Like, it wasn't until the we came that Nintendo kind of came roaring back and so like, was it the fact that they weren't given us like Mario games right off the bat, and when we did get a Mario Game of Sunshine which was not.
Speaker 2: Great, right exactly?
Speaker 1: So you know, did they lean too heavily into like experimental stuff that people didn't really goe with.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's a good question, Yeah it is.
Speaker 1: And again this is kind of why we go with Rise of the Corpos for the title of our second season now, because again we had Next Generation, which was this really bold, original, fully art driven, fully artistically and editorially driven project that in the at the end, here is some flipping through just a gaming mag like, this is just a gaming mag. This doesn't look any different from any other gaming maga the era. And again it doesn't look bad. It looks really professional and well thought.
Speaker 2: It's fine, but it's.
Speaker 1: Very different than what Next Generation looked like. Yeah, last season and we've got this generation is going to be defined by Microsoft versus Sony and Nintendo as kind of the weird third wheel. And as you said, they're gonna be in that weird third wheel place for a while. So yeah, this is definitely like I think also where like the Nintendo is for babies, stuff really started to like rise. Yeah, because like thesion going zero to sixteen thirty six, twenty four thirty six.
Speaker 2: That doesn't even make sense.
Speaker 1: It really doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: That would be thirty six minutes.
Speaker 1: No, it's twenty right, Like even if you converted that into times, that would be thirty six minutes to get to sixty second sixty Yeah, oh my gosh. Okay, well, so they go for Pickman. We should do the review. Review the review we should say, I say our thing. Pickman was four stars. Bottom line, a charming, addictive game that backs up Nintendo's promised to innovate on GameCube. If you like puzzles, then get your thinking camp on and put ohs Pickman to work. What do you think?
Speaker 2: Aiden Yeah, I think that this is a good review.
Speaker 1: I think Chris Late identified what the game was, what its strengths were, right away, even if it wasn't, you know, maybe what was expected. It wasn't focused on, Hey this isn't Mario, Like, where's my Mario game? He got it, And I think that deserves some credit. I like that he focused on the fact that, like, this is a Meamoto game, like be excited about it. You know, it's a fairly short review, and I don't know that it necessarily like.
Speaker 2: I guess you know what.
Speaker 1: Actually, it focuses exactly on trying to describe the game in a way that makes a very strange game feel approachable, right, Yeah, Yeah, I think this is a very good review. I'd give this like a solid I'd give this a solid same score he gave Pickment eight. I would give this like eight pickmen out of ten. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah eight live Pickment two.
Speaker 2: Sure for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I'm gonna go nine out a ton, especially in the constraints of this is an all hands on deck effort they're just putting Yeah, was it forty nine reviews? Forty six reviews in a magazine and calling it a day and bringing in staff from other magazines. I think this, Yeah, one page, got a bunch of good screen you know, four really big, really nice screenshots that show what the game is. We get the cute there's there's personality in it. And yeah, and I think he absolutely called it correctly. This is exactly what it is. If you like puzzles or strategy or platforming to an extent, or just cute stuff, you're gonna love this. It's gonna be remembered fondly for a long time, even if it's not Mario or Zelda franchise, mainline level epic. So yeah, I give it nine out of ten, and the rest of the magazine I just again, I just want to give an f in the chat to next year generation. And that's why I wanted to start this season here, because it lived and died with basically one and a half generations.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It started with, oh my gosh, the Saturn and PlayStation in n sixty four are almost here. They're out there in Japan, they're coming right, And then now it's like, well the Xbox is here, rip see everybody, like we're done. We finally got the next gen consoles and right, so, you know, and something that was such a big artistic spring and inspired me so much, going, oh my gosh, this is what games writing can be, This is what games criticism can be, this is what games coverage can be. All the you know, lengthy, lengthy interviews with CEOs and auteur game directors and producers and you know, iconic designers and creators and exclusive hardware teardowns and stuff like that, Like all that stuff was in Next Generation. Like I feel like three years prior to this, we would have got like a Pigmin review, and then we would have got a feature on like the history of RTS games on game content, yeah or whatever something like that, right, instead of just like a one page Pickman review. This is obviously focused on launch of the Xbox, which is also interesting because it's not focused on like GameCube launch maybe those happened a few months apart, but yeah, they're reviewing like Pickman here, so like, yeah, it's just it feels very strange, right, It does feel very much like it's like, okay, heavily focused on Microsoft, and that you know fits the theme of our season really well for an opening episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does. How about that? Amazing coincidence.
Speaker 1: Amazing coincidence. And one last note I want to say, amusingly, the sister publication, Edge Magazine, is still a magazine. As we talked about before, a bunch of the style and even editorial content of Next Generation came directly from Edge the UK version, and you you can still subscribe to Edge. I think they publish quarterly. There's still Edge happening in the UK. And meanwhile, and it's still very close to what it was in the late nineties, Like it's still what we have been describing Next Gen's first iteration as right, Like it's very good man edatorially and artistically ambition for sure. All Right, that is our review of Next Gen's review of Pickmin.
Speaker 2: Did we get it right?
Speaker 1: Leave us a rating or review wherever you get your podcast, thumb us up on YouTube, make sure you subscribe, comment on YouTube. We'll read the best ones on the air. Leave our review or review on Apple podcasts. And hey, go ahead and pass show around to all your friends, like it's third grade and we're on the playground. Shout us out on Blue Sky YouTube and TikTok at fun Factor Pod. Blue Sky's actually at funfactor.
Speaker 2: Pod dot com.
Speaker 1: Special thanks to Millennium Fact for all our amazing original music. Check out his work at Millennium fa lck dot com. Unlike these old magazines, you won't have to wait a whole month for your next installment drop. We drop new episodes every two weeks. So go to funfactor pod dot com. Follow our show on your podcast or choice. Please consider becoming a member of fun Factor Ultra premium tiers that unlock ad free episodes, bonus episodes, and the members only channels of our discord also get heads up when we are about to record a new episodes. You can join us in the chat chop it up live. Just go to fun Factor pod dot com. I promise you won't miss the sign of widget on our home page. If you do, you and we we'll have a maximum score in fun Factor never had any third parties on them two what we're living in the shadow of the M two at the time, for sure, and so it's not like a doesn't one hundred and eighty I'm sorry one hundred and three that the shen Moo two was canceled for a Dreamcast. I was, like many other Dreamcast fans, really pleased I'd been looking for I'm sorry, really pissed. My apologies. I was like, wait a minute, that's not right, that's not what I remember. Really pissed. I've been looking forward to a great game like shen Moo too for my dying or should I say dead Dreamcast. Hold on, I know, Editor in chief at this point for the same company, right, yeah, future US, pardon future US, thank you? Aiden good one yeah, good one, tight one. Like the magazine turns out when there's like literally no editorial we can see. Yeah, there's no previews, there's like very little news. Yeah that was funny.
Speaker 2: That's good. It's gonna be a good season.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 1: I agree, And it feels good to be back, Like I was ready for a break from the typical format and like, I feel, it feels really good to be right.
Speaker 2: I thought the same thing to you.
Speaker 1: I was writing up the script and I'm like, oh, yeah, I love doing this stuff.
Speaker 2: This is the stuff I like.
Speaker 1: Y